Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 1: Done, done, Hello, and welcome. So that's messed up an SVU podcast. I'm Kara Klank and I'm Lee's a Tragger. We talk SVU true crime, but up top we gab oh and we have celebrity guests. I don't know why I forgot we do this all the time. Okay.
Speaker 2: I do want to start by saying, last week I was so angry, but I have thought about the David Cross situation, and I think what upsets me the most is me not acting how I would normally act. It's like when you betray your true self, Like my normal self would be like, what the fuck did you just say?
Speaker 3: What's going on here? You're such an asshole?
Speaker 2: Like it's that I'm mad that I didn't act in the moment what I was feeling. It's like, that's the true thing. The betrayal to myself is what's most upsetting. And being bullied of course, but I feel.
Speaker 1: Like I also understand why you did that because you're like a guest and it's like a cancer charity and you're not trying to cause a scene and you're you're trying to meet this like hero of yours and not be you know, like I can understand why you didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was.
Speaker 2: Just thinking reflecting, I'm like, why am I? Because I kept crying, I kept tearing up like anyone I told about it. I'm like, I'm like tearing up right now. And it's like it's because of like, oh, that's not you girl, Like I should have walked over and been like what did he tell you?
Speaker 3: What's going on here?
Speaker 4: Uh? You know?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I fell into the trap. I'm just a little bunny rabbit.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling you're gonna have more chances with Hanka's area as well.
Speaker 2: You will meet him again, and let's see, it's a protective order of custody. I also have another retraction and some tailor people. So I love that. The okay so I said canceled like is it a blott blake whatever? If it's about Sophie Turner, I do love that. And I just saw theory. It's two l's like the British way, so I would be very into that. I still think Father Figure is not about Scott Burdschotta, but I'll look into it more and more, and you know, I take it back.
Speaker 3: I take it back.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot of comments that it was about that Scott guy, who I've never even heard of, but.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 2: My tears ricochets about him. I mean, yeah, maybe either way. I like the songs, but I do apologize that I was wrong about the theories.
Speaker 1: So I mean, who's to say who's wrong and who's right unless you hear it out of Taylor's mouth.
Speaker 3: Let me show you the cassette. Isn't this cute? Wait?
Speaker 2: Tune around like people shit okay, like people are shitting on her for like making variants the smile I got when I saw this tape, I mean, it is orange and glitter.
Speaker 3: Is that not fun? That is really fun. I love a tape.
Speaker 1: I mean I have a tape player as part of my steer system because I have my all my mixes from high school and college and I love them.
Speaker 3: I love the tape.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was listening to something on NPR about how she sold like more vinyl than like an entire record store can sell in like ten years or so.
Speaker 3: It's Elvis.
Speaker 2: I mean, at the end of the day, it's like she is like capitalists playing whatever you want to say. But like I guess so many record stores are like, we're in business because of Taylor Swift. Yeah, and instead of being mad at all the variants, maybe think about, like why her fans want to spend this money so bad? I bought that tape before she released the name of the album.
Speaker 3: Or and here's the deal, here's the thing I wanted to No one forced me, no one.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, she's her or her label or whatever is spending the money to make all the variants. If people don't buy them, they eat that cost. If people buy them, they buy them, Like I don't know, like people obviously want the stuff. So this is the capitalism society that we've all had. But the thing is, I was a giant backstrip boy fan. I had a piggy bank, I had folders, I had notebooks, I had Halter tops, I.
Speaker 2: Had anything you can name I got. I had everything backstreet. That is part of our culture. I guess, I don't know, being psycho, but yeah, also, like her twelve songs on Life of a Showgirl, combined have more streams than all the rest of the eighty eight songs on the Billboard one hundred combined.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's so crazy. It's really crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's got a choke hold on an audience and yeah, it's yeah, it's nuts.
Speaker 3: That's really those numbers are nuts. Well, I did so a couple episodes ago.
Speaker 2: I was filling Karen I Love, I mean, I'm a lost culture SEUs girly and that they got bumped from their studio because of Malala.
Speaker 3: And then Malala did.
Speaker 2: Like a disc tick talk not really like funny, yeah, but of like working out, So if you want to do that lore. So then my friend Drew Anderson books me on like a trivia show he's working on, and I'm so excited. Then I get a text, Love, we have to bump you this week for celeb question because we randomly booked Malala.
Speaker 1: Lol, We'll get you another week. It's like, what the fuck you?
Speaker 3: You texted me.
Speaker 1: This while we were talking about the blue note thing, and I was like, the guy's saying he's bumping you for Malala.
Speaker 3: This man is insane.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Shockingly, the Malala thing is real, but it's separate, but the man from Springfield, Missouri has not paid me yet for my God.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens. But this episode's coming out Halloween week. I'll be in Baltimore. Come see me in Baltimore this weekend at the Port Call Money Club to see what she's wearing. Spooky You're shows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I went to Halloween Horror Nights last night at Universal Studios, my third time going in my life. I went in like twenty nineteen, then I think I went again in like twenty twenty two or three, and then I went this year. But this year I went VIP for the first time ever, and it was I'm talking with your celeb print, Yes, because I got mad at you last time because you went with different people when you had access to the VIP and I remember getting very upset with you.
Speaker 3: No, I've never been VIP there before.
Speaker 2: I know because he invited you, but you already had plans to go with our other friends.
Speaker 3: And I said, you're you're a dumbo. Oh I'm so stupid, and you're right.
Speaker 1: I was like, you're not gonna go with this famous ass motherfucker. Now that I've done it. Yeah, Oh my supid like when I went that year. When I went that year, No, you're fully valvating everything. When I went that year, I mean I think we went to three hunted houses because every line is like at least an hour, like they oh, I think they overbook the park, like they shouldn't book as many. I know it's whatever, it's capitalism, but like it's too the lines are wild. So this was like not just express past. It was like we had a tour guide. We had a guide taking us through and that was just great. Like we went to every single haunted house. We went on rides. I had never gone on rides at Universal before because like, I've only been to Universal to go to horror nights. I've never been during the day, Simpsons ride anything like that. I didn't get to go on the Simpsons ride, but I went on the Harry Potter ride. The way my face lit up on that fucking Harry Potter ride, my husband was about to throw up all.
Speaker 3: Over the place. I was having the time of my life.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm playing quidditch with Harry Potter and I hate JK.
Speaker 3: Rowling. This is not an endorsement of JK. Rowling.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying the way they do shit with rides there where it's more screens, like kind of tricking you into thinking that you're on a roller coaster as opposed to being on a roller coaster is cool. Like someone was telling me last night. One of our friends that was with me was like, Oh, my friends that live in other parts of the world said that, like the US is so far behind, like on amusement parks, like compared to other parts of the world.
Speaker 2: Where they don't even have tech knowledge. We don't even have trains. I know, I don't even have high powered trains. Do you think we're gonna have a roller coaster techno?
Speaker 1: Well, the thing with high power trains is that people aren't gonna use them because we're car culture.
Speaker 3: But I think people will go to amusement.
Speaker 2: Car culture because the car people lobbyists spend the money to make exactly and ruin our lives astly.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: No, it's all bullshit, But the the rides were cool. We did a Mario cart ride where we got to shoot little like it's all three D You're wearing like these three D things and you're shooting like bad guys.
Speaker 3: And then what other ride did we do? We did one more ride?
Speaker 1: Uh oh my god, I'm oh oh it was Transformers.
Speaker 3: That was fun too, but it was great.
Speaker 1: I mean, I gotta say, I don't think I need to go now for like four more years.
Speaker 3: Like I don't think I need to go again.
Speaker 1: Like it it's a lot, Like it's humongous.
Speaker 3: I think I walked five miles. Nice.
Speaker 1: You check your steps? Check your steps? I know I should check my steps. What I do my health? Okay, wait, what do I do? I go to health on here? Seventeen thousand wow, seventeen thousand steps yesterday. I mean it's crazy, you're like walking all over the place, so right, because.
Speaker 2: Ten thousand steps is what you want? Yeah, no, that's like an incredible amount of steps.
Speaker 6: I knew.
Speaker 3: I mean I wanted to hear the number, and I'm not.
Speaker 1: It was like today, I'm like dead, like but we went into every haunted house. I mean, I don't really get that scared in those haunted houses. Like for some reason, I can just see when the people are coming out, and so it doesn't scare me. One one girl got me good in this one house, but and I screamed. But then it's just like a lot of houses, like Casey's going to know all these movies, but there's like a Terrifier house, you know, Terrifier Lisa.
Speaker 3: Only because Katya talks about it NonStop.
Speaker 1: She talks about it so much that I've had to I've had to go forward thirty seconds because.
Speaker 2: You know, why else I know about it. Annie Letterman's in the third one or something. I know, I shot up, Yeah, like because he likes Calm. I think he's I think she's in it. Yeah, Annie's a Verify three. So that's how I knew about it, because she's chatting about it hilarious.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, does she get murdered? I wonder? I mean I bet, I mean the way talks about these murders.
Speaker 1: These movies are like it's like the most horrific shit you can see. I think like they, like my friend was saying, like, yeah, they just really linger on like all of the gore, like for a long time, Like it's really nasty. But I went in the house for it, you know, too much for me, too much, like a lot of it.
Speaker 3: I think it was your group. It was it just the four of you guys. We were eleven people.
Speaker 1: Oh my god eleven VIPs just yeah, and that because one person canceled. But it was like yeah, and we had this like guy with us who was like really into Universal and like proud to work there, and he like took us around. He like had lived in Chicago and a lot of people with us were Chicago comics so like or people, so he was like talking everybody about Chicago and like it was great. It was great. Yeah, it was just nice. I wanted to eat. I stupidly didn't eat before I went, so that was dumb. But because then, like they can't vip you through lines for food. My friend said that in past years they've taken you to like some kind of cafeteria where you like sit for an hour and.
Speaker 3: That's like the like that's the VIP thing.
Speaker 1: But this year that wasn't part of it this year, and I think everybody was fine with that. I just was like, I wish I could just grab like a piece of pizza, But did you get food? Starving? I just ate at midnight when I got home. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: I finally decided I'm gonna buy groceries. You just reminded me because this is what happened. I went to get a sandwich, and I wasn't really in the mood for any what I wanted and this is creepy whatever, maybe it's weird. I wanted like a cheese panini with just peppers and onions, so kind of like a filly cheese steak without the meat like I just wanted to and a Gatorade zero And it was eighteen dollars And I said, you know what, I think I got to start buying groceries.
Speaker 3: That's how much for you to have around.
Speaker 2: That's more expensive than my sushi spot where I get sushi for lunch, Like that's more. But to me it's also also if it was like a giant hero that I could say for lunch the next day and it was filled with like meats and she's all this stuff, like I probably wouldn't really clock it. But the fact that it was just like I got American pepper jack bell peppers and onions and a gatorade and it being eighteen kind of really bothered me.
Speaker 3: It wasn't worth well.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, like my bodega closed because they're just raised the rents. I caught, like you can't pay these New York rents selling sandwiches, you know what I mean, Like alcohol is what makes most restaurants their money.
Speaker 3: Like, so I feel bad for these.
Speaker 1: Places, Like I think that there's not going to be things keep going in this trajectory for New York, which hopefully with the new leadership that's probably coming in it will change. But like, you know, you're not gonna be able to get a piece of pizza without walking to like a totally different neighborhood. I feel like, or it's gonna be one thousand dollars, but what I can't even talk A new pizza place just open in my neighborhood where it's thirty dollars for for like a pizza bye, Like so you know it's everywhere, but like a but if it was, it was just like, yeah, I just couldn't. Are you into seeing this movie after the Hunt?
Speaker 3: I haven't heard of it. It's Julia Roberts and I.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe doing the press.
Speaker 2: Yeah I've seen the press. I didn't realize, oh pupils. Yeah I probably not, probably not, probably not, but I would maybe. Yeah, I still have to see one Battle Aft or another. I can't even And it's so baby and it's spooky season like this is not what I'm doing right now. I'm not after the hunting, but I'm a fan. I'm a fan. I'll do Oh Choe seven battle. You gotta see one battle so fucking good. But yeah, this guy this, I mean he did Challengers. He did you know call me by your name? The director?
Speaker 3: Yeh, oh my god. Okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm at soul cycle today and the teacher goes, hey, I've been playing this is our final song. She's like, I've been playing the song almost every day this week, and I keep getting requests for it.
Speaker 3: So I'm playing it again.
Speaker 2: And it's the from the Oppenheimer it's the Oppenheimer like soundtrack, and I'm like, are we really doing this again?
Speaker 3: And we did. We did spin to it on Sunday.
Speaker 2: But it's just like music from the soundtrack from the movie Oppenheimer. And I'm just instrumental or did somebody remix it to be more gay what happened? No, it's instrumental. It's just from the movie. I didn't see Oppenheimer, so I can't really tell you, like what part.
Speaker 3: I can't really tell you what bops there are from Oppenheimer, like woa, and.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't believe that people are dming her requesting more Oppenheimer, and she did play it Sunday, but I was like, I yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That is hilarious.
Speaker 1: They're like, Okay, the bomb's about to go off, everybody turn it up. What the fun because she used to play a lot of the Challengers soundtrack.
Speaker 2: But that's really sexy. Yeah, that's sexy, fun, upbeat. It's tennis, so like it's different than this Oppenheimer movie.
Speaker 3: But like weal, yeah, I've been spinning when you go next time?
Speaker 1: Will you please find out the name of the track, because I'm looking at the track.
Speaker 3: She posts playlists.
Speaker 1: I'll the track names are hilarious, Like one is Kitty comes to Testify, one is what have We Done?
Speaker 3: Another is Atmospheric Ignition.
Speaker 1: I need to know which one you guys are sweating it out to at Soul Cycle.
Speaker 3: This is so fucking funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, she hasn't posted, uh, the the playlist yet, but I'll make sure the screenshot will post it or like we'll talk about it next week or something.
Speaker 3: Yes, please let me know. That is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Also, because I'm still out here telling everybody in California to vote Yes, I'm prop fifty. You still have five You have six more days till election day? Now, will you have a week because this comes out on Tuesday, election days in one week, Please go vote.
Speaker 3: Yes I'm fifty.
Speaker 1: Because we talked to an activist did I went to a postcarding event for this and like wrote postcards to people to vote yes I'm fifty. And she was saying, like, if you put no ICE signs and you make a yes I'm fifty sign, it shows people that you're a good pert, like you actually is yeah, yeah, you know it's like okay, but you're yes I'm fifty, but who are you?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: Like, and so if it's like you make people know that you also want the fucking fake police out of your city. And I love all the prank I love the pranking though. I love that they're they're blasting music outside their hotels. I love that they're trying to make ice people's lives miserable. It's really making my that's that's my small amount of self. I got to be egging these guys like things need to be happening.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm and want them. I don't know, I don't know. It's like, yeah, really is it bad in New York, Like, are you now? I don't, I don't. I don't know if I've writ that video.
Speaker 2: Watching Chicago and Portland, I feel like, yeah, but if mom Zannie wins, like fucking, who knows what's going to happen here?
Speaker 3: It's seeming like that's happening. He's got a way. I mean, I think so. I just don't want to. I can't. I don't know what's going to happen. I know, I know.
Speaker 1: We can't count on fucking anything these days, except you can count on us to give you order SVO. We're here, We're here. I haven't watched the latest. Oh big news for me canceling my cable as of this recording. As of this recording, my cable will have been shut off yesterday. And what me, What's happened? I'm you know, I've been researching this morning. I was literally researching, going, how do you keep track of all the TV shows that you watch? Because now that I'm getting rid of my DVR, like, you know, all my Housewives that I haven't watched are just sitting there, you know, And if I miss one, like or if I miss a recording of something, I can just go back and it'll record the next time it comes on. So now I have to just be like, Okay, what day of the week is it? What comes out? So I'm looking up some apps. If anyone has any ideas on Peacock.
Speaker 3: That's easy fix.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: But it's just like I will, I don't. I just forget to like go into Peacock, you know what I mean. I want to be like, oh, today's Thursday. That means there's a new salt Lake from yesterday or whatever. Like that's incorrect, but you know what I mean, some more work into a dexter. Since last time I spoke, no, I'm on like episode seven. I'm getting deep in. Yeah, yes, no, I told you last time I met, I met all the main people. I met all the big the crew, the party, I met the cow and Eric stone Street is really making me laugh. He's a great he's a great casting for that. I mean, it's a fun it's a fun idea edible. He really is such a good actor and so funny. And I learned he won three Emmys, so that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh and when I was telling you about David dest Meulchin, did you mention that he Yeah, so I finally saw him. Great twist in that story, right, great fucking twist, and.
Speaker 3: They nailed that.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see him at a party and be like Gemini, Oh.
Speaker 3: My god, tell him, I say hi, Tell him, I say hi. Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, I did meet at one of our listeners on the train platform. They were here on vacation, but like a tricksy sweater where the sweater is Trixy's face, and so I went, I love your sweater and she goes, yeah, it's tricksy, and I go truly very RECOGNI yeah, of course it's tricksy. Who could it be? Who else could it be? Oh my god, Zoey de Chanel And I'm like, is it Katie Perry. It's like this person is so it just made me laugh. I'm like, yeah, I could tell yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: What do you think? Should we get started? We should?
Speaker 2: We should make sure you listen to the spin. You have to watch Barbarian for Halloween.
Speaker 3: You you have to. I'm going too sick of it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to I'm gonn watch Barbarian And we're gonna do a full recap, so spoilers don't like. Everybody, get ready, We're gonna talk about Barbarian. Oh yeah, sorry, yeah, it'll be another weapons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's it's I mean, yeah, if you want to watch Barbarian and watch it. I think if you like this podcast, you like the content, you like SVU, I think you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Love You're gonna like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if it pushes you a little bit past your comfort and fear stuff, It's worth it.
Speaker 3: It's worth it. Okay, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I mean I kind of already know a lot of what happens, because I did have my husband explain to me the plot word for word.
Speaker 3: But that was your show.
Speaker 1: So I'm ready to watch it with my own eyes and absorb it and except close them at all of the parts that are scary.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Uh, go to That's messed Up Live dot Com for Lisa Tour, dates for merch that will be dropping soon. To keep your eye out for links to all of our social and everything that you need from us. It's all up there. And oh, I guess I should mention if you guys want any of our you know, as we're inching towards the holiday season, all of our promos are at exactly Rightmedia dot com Forward Slash promos and you can go to that s mess up and see our promo codes for shit if you want to use that.
Speaker 3: That helps us.
Speaker 1: I guess you know, people will advertise for us, and we do love, you know, getting advertisers so that we can get close from Quinn's Okay, let's start the episode.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, who do you who?
Speaker 2: But it is Rape Interrupted Season eighteen, Episode six came out October twenty sixteen, before we knew our lives would change into a fascist dictator nightmare just days before. I mean, truly, what a time this. When this aired, we were just dealing with a rape interrupted. No, this is a horrific episode. I feel like I've been avoiding doing this and this case I have not wanted to. It enrages me. I know all episodes are tough, but like this like infuriates me. I'd avoid it. I message, you don't make you gotta do the crime. But then I was watching the whole episode being like, honestly, I'm pissed now too, Like I would have been pissed either way, but we had to do it. And you'll know why if you're a real listener. Okay, it's fall there's a hey, vibe Garland on the door. That's how I know that it's fall context clue. So a man who is you know, he's annoying for sure, we don't trust him immediately. And he's holding flowers and he's knocking in a suit and his name is Corey Cott and he's the new detective Jake Griffin. If you're watching season twenty seven, and I will say, is IMDb photo pretty hot, a little cheesy, but hot.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's hot.
Speaker 1: Im It's kind of crazy because you're going to find out that his last name on this episode is Griffin.
Speaker 3: Oh crazy, and his name is Jake Griffin.
Speaker 1: Like you would think you would just change the Jake Griffiths, like make it close but not the same, you know, Like I wonder it's quite crazy. But it was crazy because I watched, you know, the season twenty seven Episode'm like, he's played a rapist before. I wonder which one, and I thought it was like more frat vibes. And then I got to watch this like a moment later, and I was like, Okay, cool, what a blessing to be able to pinpoint the rapist from the episode. Yeah, but they've kept him in the same family he's the evil twin of the new detective.
Speaker 2: I guess, and okay, so his name is Ellis and a woman oggs him, and then a man's there and who is at Anthony Edwards? And he's in flannel they have you know, and there's wine. He got a promotion. He's going to be Goldman Sachs newest fixed income trader. I mean, I can't imagine celebrating something more boring and evil. Okay, So Anthony Edwards is so proud of him. Mom hugs him. His phone buzzes and he's distracted. You know, it's Halloween weekend, and it's like I fucking knew it. So then the dad is a buzzkill and goes, don't get too shit faced. We have to clean the garage out tomorrow. So I guess the celebration ends quickly, and then he goes unless you're too big time for that, and they all look giggle and cheers. So now from this cheers with his parents. We're at a red solo cup Vibe. He's in a polo shirt dancing. There are girls, they're slutty pirates. There's a slutty mouse and he's just in a polo and don't.
Speaker 3: I don't like that. I don't like if you're not dressing it.
Speaker 2: So then he's especially because you made it a big deal, like this is this big party weekend. You can't even put on an angel thing on your head. So he sees a cute girl walks over to introduce himself, and he like is ignoring the in that she's with, and like, listen, you just as a human rule, you have to acknowledge everyone around you, even if you don't want to have sex with them.
Speaker 3: And that's just like something that I believe in. So then this actress, you won't believe who it is.
Speaker 2: It is John Hamm's wife, Anna Asciola, and she is an actress. She's in this episode and we did book her because of the Comedy Seller night at the Comedy Seller whatever.
Speaker 3: The John ham evening, and.
Speaker 2: We're very excited and I'm so excited that we got to talk to her. Yeah, this is the first time we've revealed a guest before it's happened. Do you guys care as anyone has anyone not looked at anything in a way.
Speaker 1: Leave a scathing review on Spotify if you hate that we spoiled this two minutes into the episode.
Speaker 3: But yeah, when I did meet her, I did keep staring at her face. We have talked.
Speaker 2: She was an sview and that is how we got to do this episode that I've been avoiding forever because it infuriates me.
Speaker 3: So an amazing performance.
Speaker 2: So the girls they go to dance without him, they're not that interested, but she kind of it, you know. She looks over to him and tells her cousin like, oh, he's cute, and he has a sight set on her for sure.
Speaker 3: So then they start.
Speaker 2: Flirting and she asks if he's dressed as Jordan's spife. I googled you that is it is a professional golfer, which is insane when you go, are you being a golfer? Like who knows who Jordan's spyfe is? It's yes, Oh he gives a shit, Oh you know who it is? Who you would go up to someone and go, you're Jordan's speif wouldn't you say Tiger Wood?
Speaker 3: Like that is Tiger Woods is the very bad I know.
Speaker 6: He was very big for a very small period of time, but it is.
Speaker 1: Odd Tiger Woods is the only famous golfer I could think of, or maybe don't Rory something I don't know Farmer, John Daily, John Daly, Yeah, the drink.
Speaker 2: And there's like a girl, there's a girl that was good. There was one Asian girl. I remember Tiger Woods Michelle Wee, Michelle Wee.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm sorry. Golfers are just not getting in my head by name. I'm trying to when they win the big thing, even when they win the Masters or whatever, I'm not remembering.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think if I know one more golfer. There's a guy named Rory mccacklan. Is that Rory McElroy. Rory McElroy. There we go.
Speaker 2: I don't know you were such a golf fiend, Casey. This is actually pretty shot it.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm a sporto, I know sports, and those are all very famous golfers.
Speaker 3: I think I've blocked that out.
Speaker 2: All right, we're here whatever, so that okay, okay, pay attention, like now, listen this.
Speaker 3: He asks her do you like golf? She says no?
Speaker 1: So he's that famous that a girl, a young twenty something knows who he is.
Speaker 3: Like the man what man wrote this? Yeah? This is a guy. This is a guy wrote this episode. Fucking man wrote this.
Speaker 1: I also just looked it up. This episode written by two women, Julie Martin and Brienna Yellen. Yeah, wild wild. Maybe they love golf, these women.
Speaker 3: I don't know. So he's not Jordan Speed. He's just dressed like himself.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: He won a FedEx cup? Like, how good can it be if it's called the FedEx Cup?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh, he has two million followers. Oh my god, what he's an under armored.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, eh, I can see if you were like raised, you know in Alabama.
Speaker 3: I don't know, no, not not for me. We have to move on though.
Speaker 1: This guy looks like he's we just got a move Like, I wonder how the Jordan Speed podcast?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: So anyways, how do you know? Okay, I can't.
Speaker 2: I thought all my notes are like, why are we talking about this golfer?
Speaker 3: They meet on the dance floor.
Speaker 2: Cut to him knocking on a bathroom door and just walking in and she's puking in the sink and she's not doing well. And I would like to mention that earlier while they were flirting, like she was trying to pour vodka but it was empty, and he got one out of the cupboard, like another handle and was like, look, I got it. So I don't think a whole handle over there could have been poisoned to like date rape the whole party.
Speaker 3: But you know, we don't really know.
Speaker 2: She could have just shrank too much, too like I don't know, but she has wasted.
Speaker 3: She calls him the wrong name. She says, it's really hot in here.
Speaker 2: He chuckles, And now it cuts to a man screaming, get away from her. What are you doing to her? And Ellis is getting aggressive towards the sky. The cops arrive. People are recording on their phones. You know, it's nighttime commotion. The guy who started to fight with him is leather jacket and Ellis. They're fighting, and Ellis goes, get the fuck out of here, and then the leather tells the cops he's raping that girl.
Speaker 3: The girl is passed out.
Speaker 2: She is out cold, Like it is really fucked watching, Like that's what's so frustrating about this episode. It's like, you know, her laying there amongst the trash, clearly out cold, and it even still being a debate or question as to what it is like, that's what like extra bothers me that it's like okay, well, clearly he did it.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, I don't know. I just can't believe it's a discussion. It's like, what a fucked.
Speaker 2: World shaped world we live in that it's because it's like horrifying to see her laying there.
Speaker 3: Benson was good, okay.
Speaker 2: So now we're like, we're at work, so Benson is trying to leave, and of course, you know, unattempted rape, and we need her to stay.
Speaker 3: Carisi has him Fins in the background.
Speaker 2: The victim is at Mercy and Rollins is on her way to the hospital. Leather guy's in the background. He's obviously kind of like the sexy hero of the night, we would say, and and then Ella says he didn't witness anything and that this guy has to be mistaken. So now Cariese and him earn cement room bars and he goes, I mean, can't we what can we do to get this to go away? And Carisey goes, oh, you're not going away, You're going viral shows him the phone. It's like a photo of the girl sleeping outside near the trash. The internet is everywhere. There were people taping, and I think in his eyes he's finally like panicking like, oh fuck, fuck hook fu fuck, And we're at the credits and Benson's long bob center part is so hot. It's like such a great look. So now Benson is getting off the phone with Rollins. She's in thick framed glasses, looking amazing, and she has the scoop. The victim's name is Janie Spears, who is still unconscious, so oh she wanted it. Well, she's still unconscious, so probably not high blood alcohol. Benson walks over to Caresy in front of the spy window. She's like, I Betty claims it's consensual, and obviously that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Carisee's like yeah, he saying that they just wanted to fuck in the park and the witness is wrong about what he saw and he has not made any calls to any lawyers or anybody, and he's down to talk. So Benson tells Lucy, I'm not coming home and doesn't even ask if it's okay. So then cancel your plans, bitch. I hope you're an AMC stubs member to get I mean, she probably just never makes plans. She must be saving for an early retirement, Like what, yeah, what is the situation.
Speaker 1: Or she's like a college student and this is just she just studies or something, you know, college student, we've known her for twelve years.
Speaker 3: College student, I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, we've known her for a little unless she's like a a grad college grad student, you know, like I don't know, she could be studying.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: How is her life so available for Olivia Benson at all times?
Speaker 2: Like she's getting fifty dollars an hour. Then needs to have a backup care. She needs some backup care anny. We can't yeah, trigger backup nanny.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: I wasn't gonna say it. Okay, Well, Lucy doesn't have plans. So they all enter cement room bars. He declines of the coffee, so I'm like, okay, smart rapist. And then he does sip it, so he is an idiot. He says he was at a Halloween party. They met, they danced, they drank, they hung out on Coreesy's like, okay, we need details, you fucking more on he's and then he's nervous.
Speaker 3: But he's like, I'm not nervous because I did anything wrong.
Speaker 2: And there and Benson goes, okay, just slow down, just tell us what happened. So they ran into each other at the bathroom. She wanted air. They went outside. It was after midnight. She seemed drunk but fine. Benson asks, what does fine mean? He says, talking and laughing, and they were kissing. She was into it. Now we cut the leather jacket. Hot guy and he has a like long hair and an accent, and he goes, he goes, that girl was not into it. Finn asks how he can tell. He goes, she wasn't moving. He goes, I yelled at him, but he didn't do anything. So that's when I called the cops and like, fuck that guy. He was getting off on a helpless girl. He then walked over to them, and that's when Ellis stood up, zipped up his fly and said she was fine. Benson's like, okay, kissing. Then I how did it move past that? And so you know, little Ellis rapee boy is stammering and getting into it, and he goes, well, she pulled up my belt and Creasey's like, well, we want more. So then he says, she fell back on a pile of garbage bags that were stacked up, and then he fell on top of her, and then he says it felt romantic, and I just don't believe it because it is trash bags in New York City, in New York, because there's at least four rats hanging out like it is.
Speaker 3: It is a different situation.
Speaker 2: It is like a colony of little guys are running scroll like I can't, I can't, No, I'm trying to think, like, yeah, I was about to say maybe if it was filled with leaves, like you know, you you you piled all the leaves and you're gonna fuck up and bagged. Yeah, and then yeah, they're like so excited with the clean yard.
Speaker 1: That's autumnal. That's autumble, autumnal. Outside sex that could be yeah, the butt, the bag of leaves, that could be kind of fun. Yeah, gift crap mouse coming from garbage bags while you're fucking.
Speaker 3: The water, the food in it, like everything someone could have. Someone could have puked in one of those bags. Like it is wild.
Speaker 2: And he's obviously calling it sex, and he goes, it's not great to have sex like that, but that's that's what it was to consenting adults, and Benson pushes back, you say, consenting?
Speaker 3: Did she consent?
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, we were enjoying each other, and then Benson goes, well, the British guy says that she was unconscious, and he says, maybe she fell asleep, but saying I raped her is crazy, and Chrisy says, I get why you would feel that way, and he says, because it's the truth, ask her and they're like, well we will.
Speaker 3: She just woke up, so we're going to Mercy.
Speaker 2: So Rollins is like, hey, you know while you're here, she goes, I'm an idiot, I got alcohol poisoning. Rollins explains the garbage in the park and she's like, oh, that's why my hair stinks. So yeah, it did smell. It was like not fresh chill garbage. And even if it stinks, it does look great, like she does have an amazing hair. This whole episode, Rollins keeps explaining what happened. She doesn't remember being there with anybody, and then she's like, well, a man, do you recall having sex? And she starts crying and saying she doesn't and that she like, she doesn't remember anything. She remembers being at the party. She's trying so hard to remember she doesn't know who she was with, and then she realizes, like oh fuck, I'm sore, Like that's why they want to do a rape kit.
Speaker 3: She's crying.
Speaker 2: She doesn't have insurance and that's sad too, like this is why the show is so good.
Speaker 3: But it's like.
Speaker 2: Her first thought is how much is the rape kit? Like but you know, Rollins lets her know no charge, but she's sad. And then the doctor comes in and goes, your cousin's here, and the cousin's been calling her like all day and night, and she's a good cousin, I feel, and she goes, Janie, you were raped and her and Rollin's are like, well, how do you know that? And she goes, it's all over the internet. So the Internet has named her garbage rape girl, which.
Speaker 3: Is like so crazy.
Speaker 1: No, the Internet is smarter than that. That is what they would do. I'm sorry the garbage rape girl. Yeah, I don't know the Internet. I could see that being on Twitter, like she want, like what a slut? What a different I mean this happened in real life, yeah, but like the comments are awful. People are terrible, but to collectively like name somebody something that's that shitty and not clever and like you know what I mean, I don't know that was I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you have faith in humanity. I think garbage rape girl is like chiller. It could have been like garbage rape slash horor garbage girl.
Speaker 1: I could see them calling her like garbage garage girl. Like people being like garbage rape girl got which like it's.
Speaker 2: Crazy, yeah, because then you're putting rape in it. So then you realize she'd been raped. So what are you doing? Yeah, you're actually like telling on yourself. Yeah exactly. Yeah, because if she was just a garbage slut, that would be different. Yeah, you're putting rape in there. You know she was raped and garbage. I could also see. I could also see garbage slut on the internet. I'm not giving the internet too much credit. I'm just saying, should we be the garbage sluts? Is that the name of our listeners? They might want to be the garbage sluts?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think they don't seem like you like it. I don't like it, but well then then it's a no, we both like it.
Speaker 2: We both have to like it, Okay, So whatever the internet's saying taken out with the trash and she's like so disgusted, and she says she would never have said that, she would never have fucked on the ground, and the cousin is like, this son of a bitch raped my cousin.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love this girl so wildly.
Speaker 2: He's on his phone in cement room bars and he's texting his life away and vest Creesy and Benson are in there and they're like, it's Saturday morning, you got somewhere to be. I guess his phone has the longest battery power of all time, so he's texting up a storm and he's like, oh, I had to clean the garage with my dad. And Benson's like, Jannie doesn't remember what happened, and he's like, well, I want to talk to her. Let me just talk to her. And that's clearly not going to happen. You idiot, give us your DNA. So he's like warrant or are you going to give it to us? And he's like, I'm happy to do it. So they swab him. Finn comes in and goes we have a situation. They both have to leave, and the father of the rapist is shutting down the interview, but Ellis is twenty two, so parental rights don't matter. But this guy says he's on the job. He's from Nassau County, PD. His name is Patrick Griffin. Anthony Edwards. Holy shit, Anthony Edwards, the dad is Benson's first partner. They recognize each other. What a trand what a rush?
Speaker 1: And Marishka and Anthony Edwards were love interests on Er. Wow, when she was on Er for her brief arc, she was his love interest. And then I think she left the show to do SVU but like, yeah, cool, yeah, so they've got history. This is like a fun easter eggy kind of show or out like casting, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Benson is stunned, truly deer in headlights, such a good actress, and Benson and him go into her office. He didn't show up that morning, so he traced the cell and doesn't understand why he's here.
Speaker 3: He's like, was he mugged? Like what's going on?
Speaker 2: And they're like, well, no, he raped and he's like, okay, well he will not be answering any more questions and I want all the statements thrown out and Benson goes, well, you know, we can't do that, and you know, and she works for the victims, so she explains he came involuntarily. He didn't even tell us his dad was a cop. So the dad goes, I'm fucking taking him and then askses their evidence. She says, yes, a witness puts him on top of an unconscious vic. He says, I see there must be a mistake. A classic boy dad, So then he barges into cement room bars and tells him not to say another word. And Ellis is shocked to see his father and Benson tells him to not leave town, and he starts explaining shit to his dad, who says stop talking. He says, Olivia, I wish I could say it was nice to see you, and yeah, and she looks really pretty okay. So Finn and Creasy walk in to chat with Benson and he takes his son out of there. We get the background story of Anthony Edwards, so she's like, we go way back. She was assigned to the five to five and he looked out for her. Chrisy says, we went by the book, and Finn is like, the first thing I taught my son was to never talk to cops, Like, how is the son of a cop labbing? Like it makes no sense, and Crasy says he thinks he did nothing wrong, so he doesn't care, and Finn goes, yeah, second mistake. First mistake was humping a passed out girl. Okay, Finn, feminist leader. So we have Ellis's side, So now we have to get Janie's side. So we're back at Mercy and Benson asks how she's feeling. She says a little better, but she wants her clothing back, and obviously that's evidence, so she can't have it right now. She's hunched over elbows on knees, really like defeated body language, and just seems stressed and upset. She can't believe she was raped and it's all still fuzzy to her. Benson reassures her that memory is a tricky thing and anything would be great. So she says that she remembers a man barging into the bathroom and remembers his name was Ellis, and she's like, and my cousin knows him, and Benson shows photos.
Speaker 3: They stop at him. It was him, it was him.
Speaker 2: Benson is explaining Ellis's side, and she's like, I remember kissing him, but I felt guilty for kissing him because I had just broken up with my ex like a week ago, and I was texting him that night. So I just don't feel like I would have hooked up with someone, especially like someone that dated my cousin. So he dated Leah, I guess just wants Rollins goes to talk to the cousin. Benson needs to know the scoop, and she takes a note ad out ready to take all of Janey's information. And then Rollin's and Leah are in the hospital waiting room and she's dark eyeshadow and like kind of a little poof mid heead pony.
Speaker 3: She's fun.
Speaker 2: So anyway, she hooks up with Ellis last year and she goes, he seems nice, but he's aggressive Jay and he thought he was hot, sure, but she was so drunk. So we're gonna talk to a ton of people, you know, like we're all everyone's investigating. Everyone's at work. So now we're at where the party was. It's a booze filled home with Christmas string lights. His friend is like, Janie was all over him, wanted him. She was drunk, but everyone was and he's disclosing to Finn and then Cariese is with a blonde, preppy girl and she goes, he's too hot and cool and does a good job, like he wouldn't have to rape anyone. I would willingly fuck his ass. So she's like kind of stupid, but it's okay. So now we're with a girl at an outdoor park moment, and you really see the full budget of these shows in moments like this, like a full park with ten extras doing yoga. It is such a giant scene. And the cops talking to the teacher during class, it's rollin. She's getting the scoop and she's like, well, we were going to share a car home. I just went to say bye to my friends and then she was gone. And she explains like, oh, you know, I did hear that it was a rumor of rape and size, and goes Elle's kept trying to dance and hook up with her, but she was so wasted. I guess he got what, you know he wanted. So now it's Barbara, And for a second, I forgot Barbara was even on the show. I don't think we've done Barba episodes for a very long time.
Speaker 1: No, Like watching this, I forgot Carisee's a cop. Yeah, we've been in a Barbara drought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like I assumed this whole episode Cariese's the DA And then seeing Barbara, I'm like, what, so we need to get some barber ones back. We need to like do some of this era. I missed him. I missed him. I like seeing him. We gotta, yeah, we gotta return to these mid teens. So we're outside walk and talk with Benson and Barbara, and you know, it sucks because the witnesses are fifty to fifty. The DNA is a match, but that's not gonna mean anything in court. Barba stops and go it goes okay, so like, tell me about this dad situation. So she explains that he you know, we're gonna learn more that he was her mentor and a friend at one point, and now you know, it's like tough. She has to go let him know that she has to arrest his own only son for rape. And I don't get like, if he had a sibling, why it would be like less bad that the son's a rapist. So it's kind of a theme throughout the episode where they're like his only boy, his only son, and it's like it doesn't really.
Speaker 3: Matter how many kids you have, if like one's a rapist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if one goes to jail, you're like, I've got two more, Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like an odd choice.
Speaker 2: Why they keep harping on the only sun thing, Well, they harp on anything. It's like Anthony, like we'll see they are grasping at straws. Okay, So anyway, Lawyer Dad, rapists sit down cement room bar chat with Cariesium Benson and Barbara. Okay, so it's like everyone's there and the set's kind of like a Steppenwolf play. Truly, it could be no one leaves the stage for the whole show. But Benson says, you know, hey, I'm gonna start off by saying this is serious and Janey has no memory of consenting, and the DA will be charging your son of rape. Benson says, I'm giving you the courtesy. So if there's anything in your story you left out or even want change, let us know. The dad goes, he's not talking to you. And the dad goes, you're not trying to resolve this, you're trying to bury him. She goes, well, that's definitely not not what's happening here. He wants a courtesy. Now that he gets to go home and say bye to his mother and promises on his shield that he'll bring him back first thing tomorrow morning, and it, you know, it persuades him. Well, the dad says, we want nothing more than to prove he is innocent. So Benson says eight am tomorrow and I hope it's not a mistake decision. So Benson's looking out her office window and Anthony Edwards comes in, knocks, aggressive, doesn't even ask link do you have time to talk, demands a conversation, and closes the door and says he wants a word condescending as fuck.
Speaker 3: I don't know who you think you are, but that's a bit choos in charge.
Speaker 2: And she's like, I'm trying to be as straight as I can, but all evidence points to rape. And he's like, don't do this. She looks down. He is begging her, trying to manipulate her with their familiarity, and she says, I cannot drop it, and he brings up that like the only child, he's my only child. It's gonna destroy my boy. Like I like that this girl is not even like a minor concern to him or how she's doing you know. Yeah, she says, this is where we are sorry, And now again he's gonna clawed anything he has, and he's like, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say the world as an investment banker, he had the one he was gonna help people at Goldman Sachs.
Speaker 2: So now yeah, so he's like our first bust. So she you followed a purp into a room alone. He claimed missing cash and missing drugs, and she says, we both know I did not do that, and he goes, sure, but if I hadn't testified at IAB the rat squad, then that I was in that room, she goes, yeah, I would have been jammed up for a rookie mistake. He goes exactly like a gotcha moment, just like, ellis, you made a rookie mistake.
Speaker 3: She was drunk.
Speaker 2: He should have known better, Like how can you not think of the victim at all in any of this?
Speaker 3: And she's just like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Like Benson responds he should have known better, like the fuck, like fuck off, and he's just he's exasperated. He can't believe, like none of this manipulation has worked. She looks direct as fuck at him and is disgusted by even trying to compare their situations, and she makes it clear that like her rookie cot mistake is not the same as your son raping an unconscious girl. He says, then you're looking for the fight of your life. She's not phased, like are you kidding? You fucking lose her. So now Barba's there and he's like, basically, this whole case goes down to consent. And it's like, well, yeah, that's what rape is. So of course it's like the consent, like that is the definition. And so it's corkboard time. And Jane would never have sex in a garbage pile. It's so crazy. I mean again, I in all caps, I wrote New York garbage pile.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: I just but whatever the British witness is like staying in the country longer. He doesn't care. He's there to testify. We're thinking, maybe we can find traffic cams, let's dig deeper into taru internet photos, let's find these people, like it's crazy that all these people were able to post photos and videos but won't help the investigation, Like how do you just tape this and not help?
Speaker 3: Go fuck yourselves?
Speaker 2: So Barbara and Benson make eyes and he's being judgy as fuck, and she's like, whatever, I just want this to be air tight. And then she's like explaining the Anthony Edwards cash drug story and how he had her back and lied for her to save her ass, and he says, you owe him nothing. You are not pulling facts out of thin air. So then now the victim's here. So Janie comes in. It's unexpected, and she's really struggling. They're calling her dumpster slut all over the internet. Do you like that a little more? Dumpster slut?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Do you think the do you think our listeners would like to be dumpster sluts?
Speaker 4: Or no?
Speaker 3: The love you guys answer, let us know dumpster slut.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put a poll in in on Instagram story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know. Rollin's and Benson are in wood blinds with her. She can't eat, she can't sleeve, she's anxious all the time. But let's all worry about Ellis the rapist. And Benson goes, that makes sense, like you went through a violation, and she goes, I'm in therapy every single fucking day. Nothing is helping. She just wants him to know what he did, Like, stop talking to the press stop calling me some nameless, intoxicated female, Like, shut the fuck up and apologize, and she's like, just because I don't remember, it doesn't mean I wasn't hurt. And then she screams and she's in a lot of pain and she doesn't want to go to court or talk to the jury or anything like. She just wants it to end. So they're like, do you want us to try to make a deal with the DA, and she just does not want to testify. All she wants is an apology. So Rollins is going to talk to Elli's family DA. Everyone's there, Barbara's office, full house. So they offer rape three. Daddy says an e felony, he would go on the registry, and Benson goes for a sexual offense that is a non negotiable but there's no jail time, which is very fucking nice. Ten years probation, and the victim made a request that you make a statement of apology and the dad keeps yelling and Benson's like stop. Barbara goes, listen, if you go to trial, you're looking at seven years in jail. And then the dad goes, oh, a liberal New York jury pool, which is actually not true because Manhattan people are rich and I don't know, it's just not and liberal orchesservice. It's the whatever. This guy, he has a lot of ideologies. So he goes, they are ready to hang the privileged rapist high his dad's a cop. How privileged can he be? What are we talking about? Is this old money?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: How are they rich? They don't look rich to me. That is weird.
Speaker 1: I think it's like maybe I think maybe it's just also that he works at this big bank company like Goldman Sachs. You know, it could be that, like it might not be old money, but it's like his current you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah standing yeah, the victims of the world, the finance bros.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So basically it's like.
Speaker 2: You know, Ellis is saying that he talked to his mom and like that they both are were like, yeah, you can't go to jail. And the dad goes, the registry is forever. You're going to lose your job, and Benson goes, yeah, I think state prison is worse than unemployment. And the dad goes, your future is gone. Benson says, we're trying to help you here. It's a one time offer. We can go to trial so we go to trial. Obviously, so he well, actually not, so I mean I like that I wrote this and watch this and I'm like having a surprise. Okay, So he's actually pleading guilty as to rape in the third he wants to do this, he does not feel course to do it. He's down for probation, community service, he's going to be a sex offender. He understands. He doesn't want to appeal, he doesn't want a jury, and then he starts making a statement of apology. He unfolds a paper and he goes, on Friday night, I was at a party, and what he wants to say to the victim is and then he waits and then he crumbles it and says, I can't I take it back, rips it up, goes, I'm not guilty.
Speaker 3: I take it back.
Speaker 2: Benson is shook, disordering the court obviously, he retracts, Barbara takes back the offer and so now it's a not guilty situation. Benson is stunned. Janie's like so sad and goes, why can't he just say he's sorry? And Benson goes to confront Anthony Edwards and they have a fight, but the dad believes his son is being railroaded and they're gonna I fuck the jury.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is actually great.
Speaker 2: So he says that him and his wife are gonna sit there every single day and make eyes at the jury every day until they believe his son. Like so psycho, So whatever, it's pandemonium outside, crowds protesters.
Speaker 3: The dad goes, keep your head up, like no shame.
Speaker 2: The brit is on the stand and he's explaining she was not moving, her eyes were closed, and when he pulls off, like him off, that she didn't even react, that she was like splayed out until the cops arrived, Like what.
Speaker 3: More do you need?
Speaker 2: The photo is horrific. They show the photo in court completely passed out if you're on the jury. But then I think about the case of like the football player who like ran and like grabbed a woman who was brawlist running and like dragged her back, and he was not guilty, Like truly, they don't care. So the defense attorney, you know, he wants to poke holes, play semantic games like that was twenty feet away. Why you know, why didn't you help her? So you call nine one one, but you didn't call an ambulance. Or fire department, which is such bullshit because when you call nine one, you have no control over who they send, you know what I mean. He didn't say sem the cops. He said, I'm witnessing a rape, like I don't have number of my local ambulance like they all they usually send everyone like that. That's kind of what they do. So this, you know, fuck this defense attorney. Jane's now on the sand. She says she does not consent, So now it's the defense time. You know, I'm gonna be mad. He's been condescending, he's like fake nice. Basically, his point is, you were passed out, so if you don't remember saying like yes, that means you don't remember saying no, so you could have said either one.
Speaker 1: He's basically like, well if you didn't say yes, did you say no? And she's like, I didn't say I was passed out, Like it's a crazy it's crazy.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 2: The reason I'm having trouble saying it correctly is because it's crazy. Yeah, someone's passed out cold, like you can't at whatever. So oh so then he plays a call that she made to her cousin while she was wasted and I don't understand how like a fun drunk conversation has anything to do with it. It's like, yeah, she was fun and drunk and having a good time and then she was passed out and didn't want to fuck, Like what are we taking?
Speaker 3: Like, I just hate it's a discussion. It's like so.
Speaker 2: Weird that this is even normalized or used in court, Like it's it's appalling.
Speaker 1: They're basically trying to show it and go, you're so fucked up here. You could have totally said yes, like it could have been what you wanted. You didn't even know where you were, you know, basically he goes, uh, Who's how do you even know you were? Rais did you were you really raped?
Speaker 2: Or is it because the Internet told you or SBU told you or your liberal feminist social justice girlfriends who hate my client? Who are these I don't understand where they're pulling this out of Yeah, I just don't get who these friends are and like, but yeah, but they hate of course they hate him, he raped their friend. Yeah, they're feminists. Yeah, I think this lawyer is trying to.
Speaker 1: Get anybody on the jury who thinks that the me too movement is a witch hunt and you know anyone that's like, you know, these girls are just trying to persecute men, now, like that's what this guy's going for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But before Barbara can even object, the guy with draws, so he knows he's being a piece of shit, and she's crying on the stand. So Barbara redirects Jane, why do you believe you were raped? And she says, because I would never and would have never consented to a guy I just met on the ground by the garbage I was past and he did what he wanted anyway, And then they cut to the rapist mom so she must have something.
Speaker 3: Coming later where it's a weird ass cut.
Speaker 2: So then the defense lawyer asks to approach and fuck so like we all walk out, it's our crew, and they suddenly have a new witness. But they did so much canvassing, Like how do they suddenly have a magically a new witness? So we need to find out where this witness comes from. Finn and Benson have a friendship session and he tries to talk to her about Tucker and their relationship and she's like, okay, I'm clearly busy, bro and leaves, and then Benson like I'm going through a lot. I don't want to chit chat about my ex or boyfriend. I don't know what state they're in. At this point, Benson goes to the fall door knock knock, and she goes, you might not want your wife to hear what I have to say to you. So they go outside and she goes, I thought you were gonna be in court every day. I fucking the jury. Where were you? Where were you all day? After your little speech? And at the end of the day, Wow, a new surprise witness for tomorrow. And he says, yeah, you know, a good citizen knew what was you know that this wasn't right and came forward and she goes, oh, a good city, A career drug dealer who became a snitch at the five to five year old precinct. You fucking idiot. She's like, you really want to do this witness tampering obstruction. He says, I have no idea what you're talking about. She goes, okay, well you want to put your job at Risks no pension, not to mention criminal charges, you fucking idiot. And he brings up again this thing that he did nice for a young rookie, like you did this for a young rookie fifteen plus years ago. And she goes, we're running his phone records in bank statements, like you're fucking you know. He's squirming. So then he goes, he's my son. He's twenty two years old, and like and again, what about her? So he continues, he graduated summa cum laud from Dartmouth. Why don't we know where she graduated from. He has a six figure job, and you want to destroy his life? What if she invented something? Destroy his life because he had sex with some drunk girl. He says, you drove a long way for nothing. So now Perez is on the stand, and this is the wetness, and I'm just salivating for Barba to get to this guy, like I am so fucking jazz, like from get him, Jade, get him Perez.
Speaker 1: And he's sort of giving me, don't you stop your last season proder shoes at me, like just like a full fake witness, Like he's giving.
Speaker 3: Like yes immediately, like you are not. You are a paid witness, Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I can't even focus on the nonsense that this diffence, Like the defense is talking like gets a, Barbara gets a Barbara gets a barb up and he says that he made eye contact with Janey and that she loved it, moaning and said keep going. But it's like, we have video and photo evidence of her knocked out, So what are you even talking about? So Barbara looks eventson then turns Tim and goes, so, what's up with your felony arrest five years ago? And that was your third offense, right, so then to avoid jail time, you became a confidential informant And he goes, but I'm not anymore.
Speaker 3: And they were.
Speaker 2: Like, well, who's your little cop buddy friend at the five to five? And it's Dennis Marino. And the wife slowly looks over to Anthony Edwards because she he realizes what's up because she fucking knows Dennis Marino for sure at the five to five. So they're like, well, have you ever met Peter gart You have a worst cop in the fucking world. Though you can't get.
Speaker 1: A friend from a different precinct to find you an informant to do this.
Speaker 2: I know, and I I did call him Peter Grip. His name is Patrick. I gotta just call him like Anthony Edwards. So anyways, so he stares, so peresident Anthony Edwards are like staring because they asked like do you know him?
Speaker 3: And so they they make eye contact. He lies says no, I don't know him.
Speaker 2: After they make intense eye contact, Anthony Edwards wants to you know, I fuck everyone in the courtroom, and so the defense.
Speaker 3: Keeps, you know, objection, objection, objection.
Speaker 2: Overruled, over ruled, overruled, and finally Judge Elena Barth is like, fuck you shut the fuck up. I'm gonna finish this line of questioning. Do not stop suppressing shit. So then the guy is denying anything and Barbara goes, you know you're toasts right, So yeah, So basically I'm also like, don't you realize Barba knows the truth, like if he's if he's playing these little confident games like don't like your toast, your fucking toast. And also with Anthony Edwards, it's like, even if your son was gonna get off because people like rape, so it's like to me, your son could have gotten off because of Dartmouth, and now for sure he's not because of these fucking games you're playing. Yeah, but before this could go even further. The tail tale heart of all of this ellis the rapist jumps up and he goes, he's lying, he wasn't there, he's making it up. Janey never said keep going. He turns around, looks at Janey and says, I'm sorry for what I did and for what my father's doing. Now, the judge tries to get order. You're not gonna, You're not gonna. He finally admits it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: He goes, I knew you were passed out and I couldn't stop myself, so he knew he was raping all along.
Speaker 3: Why did you chat some like the fact that you did all this?
Speaker 2: He should also have charges of wasting everyone's fucking time when you know you fucking raped. So I was wrong, so wrong, and I am so sorry. Benson with a new stunted face, like, I don't know how many stunt faces she has.
Speaker 3: My repertoire.
Speaker 2: It's like truly an incredible fee an Emmy for this episode. He repeats I'm sorry a bunch more times, and then everyone runs to chambers behind the judge and the son wants the dad out. He's like, get the fuck out of here. I don't care like I should you know, and he says, get out, leave me alone. The data is stunned and yeah, you lost your pension and your song, like what the fuck. But anyways, Ellis goes, I want this to be over. I'm gonna plead guilty. I don't give a fuck. She The judge's okay, giving him raping the second degree, but should have taken the first deal. So now we're back in core plea time again. The victim has a statement. First, she gets up and says, at first, you didn't think you did anything wrong.
Speaker 3: You blamed booze.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you now understand that alcohol didn't pulp my dress up, get on top of me and force itself inside of me.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you know what you did that.
Speaker 2: You said, I'm sorry I raped you, and he looks at her, and he does seem like he's listening. She turns away to the judge and says, I choose to put this behind me, thank you, and she sits down and now it's sentenced time. He gets twenty four months in prison. Court is done. The mom starts sobbing. Janey is emotional but okay, and Barbara puts his arm on her shoulder.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: People are protesting outside that two years is not enough, and I agree, and it's kind of like what the Diddy thing where it's like four years isn't enough. But I did still feel relief because I have no faith in the justice system, so I'm happy with four.
Speaker 3: I thought he was gonna get off. Yeah, so I'm like fine with four.
Speaker 2: So with this, it's like in the real case, I don't know, it's it's all stupid rape should be tons of years, but whatever.
Speaker 3: So we got two years.
Speaker 2: But people are protesting and the dad okay, and then the dad is like smoking SIGs outside obviously stressful day for him. Benson comes out and he goes, oh, great, you're gonna go get me for witness tampering and she says, no, I talked.
Speaker 3: To Barbara, but like, what were you thinking?
Speaker 2: And he says that I have to save my son, no matter what, no matter how I'm a cop. I protect people I don't even know, and here is my son, my best friend. He's going to go down for ten seconds of stupidity. I mean, the Sun already admits it. It's like, bro, He's like, I just wanted to throw in some reasonable doubt. And she goes, Okay, well I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that, and he goes, the system is rigged against him, and so whatever. He goes the protesters the way Ellis is head on the platter, and I failed him, And Benson says, you are still his father, and for the next two years be there for him. I'm sorry, Patrick. If there was something I could have done, he says, there was, and you chose not to do it. I went to bat for you. And she says, the truth is I wish you hadn't. I wish you just told the truth. She turns around, walks off down the stairs, and he holds onto the column and the column's giant and hangs his head. And that's dick wolf baby.
Speaker 1: I find it hard to believe that they could get rid of his witness tampering charge when it's so fucking obvious, you know what I mean. Yeah, Like, if there was any reporters in the courtroom, if there was anything going on, like, or any public in the room. It's like, that's a cop fully witnessed tampering and his own son going, my dad's lying, Like, I don't know how you would sweep that around now.
Speaker 2: But like they shot Breonna Taylor in like her house, yeah thing, you know.
Speaker 3: It's like yeah, yeah, yeah, just it seems it would be really hard. But okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: I do want to say that Marishka Hargatea told the Huffington Post in advance of season eighteen. She said, can you imagine if Brock Turner and then she stops her, She goes, that makes me cry, happened with me? Meaning Benson, Hargatea said, her voice breaking and her eyes welling up, like if I was the detective on that case, it could be healing to somebody to see what should happen. Seeing justice, The actress said, if a judge would do a different sentence, you know, that's healing for people to see the right thing, the just thing happen. So sometimes I think she takes on episodes of this show specifically like Marishka but because she's an ep now, but also like the other showrunners, they take on episodes to give like the viewers the dream ending, you know, like we talked about how it's a fantasy, like they want the real ending where the thing happens. But I will say I don't think what happens in this case in the on the I don't think what happens in the episode is necessarily as fair as it could be either, but let's get into it. Obviously, this is based on brock Turner. This was a massive case that happened in twenty fifteen, and.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, if his sentence was fair, he would have never gotten press or attention, and no one would have known, like you would be on the sex offender registry and he would be a rapist and the girl would have been raped and that sucks. But like if he had just gotten three years or something normal, No, but like it became a case because of the sentence.
Speaker 3: Yes it was.
Speaker 1: It was in the press a lot because of the fact that he was a varsity swimmer at Stanford, the fact that the girl's identity was not known. He cares about swimming, like it's so I understand if he did cancer research.
Speaker 3: But to be like, but he's a swimmer, who.
Speaker 1: Gives I know, the he the impact the victim impact statement, which we'll get into, also went viral. So there were like a few moments but I'll get into it. But basically, brock Turner born and raised in a nice suburb of Dayton, Ohio in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 1: He's kind of like maybe that's why they kept it like it's like he's from a nice suburb, but his dad's an electrical engineer.
Speaker 3: His mom's a nurse. It's not like his dad is like the CEO of an oil company.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: He's got an older brother and sister.
Speaker 1: He's a big swimmer, wins awards, set records in high school, and he tried out for the Olympic team even when he was not even eighteen.
Speaker 3: So well, he gets into.
Speaker 1: Stanford to be a varsity swimmer, and it's one of the top ten swimming programs I guess in the country. So if you care about swimming, getting into Stanford big deal. He starts going to Stanford in the fall of twenty fourteen, so I'm just gonna say.
Speaker 3: On January tenth.
Speaker 1: Of twenty fifteen, he goes to a frat party at Kappa Alpha, where a girl at the party later said that Turner was really creeping her out. She claimed he was like Hansy, touching her a lot on the dance floor. She did not like it, she did not ask for it, and she left the dance floord to get away from him. Okay, so that's just like a thing that happened on January tenth. A week later is January seventeenth.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: He goes to another party at Kapa Alpha, where he meets a girl who is originally called Emily Doe, which is wild because I do have a friend with that exact name, and she is called that by the press and by everyone that is covering this story, but is later known to be Chanelle Miller, a twenty two year old recent graduate of University of California at Santa Barbara. So she'd had just been at home ready to like call it a night and have a cozy night in. But her sister, who was younger, was going to this party ten minutes away at Stanford and was like, you know, they were her and her friends were all having fun, and the older sister was like, you know what, I don't get to see my sister that much now that like I'm in the real world, she's in college. Like I'm going to go hang out with her and be like the goofy older sister at the party. Okay, So she go and her sister's like rasing her for wearing a cart a bit like a cardigan to a party or whatever and whatever. So Tiffany, this is the sister, Okay, the younger sister, Tiffany. She testifies that Turner, who she does not know, tried to kiss her twice at the party, and both times she like bended him off. Okay, and after that, Like, the story has some gaps because that's the other thing too.
Speaker 2: It's like it's clear its patterns for him, and he would have kept doing this and doing this like nothing would have stopped. He's clearly a fucking sex pest predator. I totally Magee stories. I totally agree, and I'm glad I had to cover this. I knew a lot about it, but there were things I didn't know, and there were things I had invented in my head that happened that didn't So I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I got to research this.
Speaker 1: But the story has some gaps, mostly because Brock Turner, who's the only one that has any memory of anything, fucking changes his story like ten times. But what happened that we know factually is that at one am that night, So that's technically now January eighteenth, twenty fifteen, because it's one in the morning. Peter larsh Johnson and Carl Frederick Arendt, who are two grad students from Sweden. They were bicycling around campus and at first I thought, wow, cool a one am cycle, but I did then later read they were biking to a party, so good for them. They spotted Turner assaulting Chanel Miller behind a dumpster. The two guys said that he was on top of her. Her dress was pulled up, her genitals were exposed, her underwear was on the ground, and they saw him thrusting on top of her, and noticed that she was fully unconscious, like her hair was full of pine needles.
Speaker 3: She was a mess.
Speaker 1: And they confronted Turner, going, hey, what the fuck are you doing? She's unconscious. That's a direct quote, and they said. Turner immediately tried to run. So if this is this romantic rendezvous, why aren't you going no?
Speaker 3: Ask her?
Speaker 1: She's fine, like we're it's good, we're having fun.
Speaker 3: But he runs.
Speaker 1: So then these guys fucking fully know he's a rapist. So one guy checks on Chanelle while the other one trips Turner subdues him, and they say Turner is like smiling and laughing and they're like, what are you smiling for? And later he testified that he was laughing because of how ridiculous the situation was, Like you're a psychopath, Like what are you talking about? Like, let's say you are so wasted and she was originally consenting and you look down and she's now passed out in the middle of your consensual thing, you'd be like, fuck, Like you wouldn't be fucking smiling and laughing, you know, which is obviously what they're trying to say is happening, is that she was liking it and then you know whatever, So thank god for these two guys. They turn her down while a third person calls the cops and he's arrested on suspicion of attempted rape. In his statements of police, he tells them he met Chanelle outside the frat house and she agreed to go home with him. There's some conjecture that maybe he thought it was Tiffany, the girl the younger, the younger sister who he tried to kiss twice, but he's like, oh, I met her outside the frat house and she said she'd go home with me. And he told the cops that he didn't know her name, and he would and he would quote not be able to recognize her again if he saw her. So later he changed his story that they met at the frat house, they drank beers together.
Speaker 3: But also if he.
Speaker 2: Was a girl, would be like you, slet, you went and had sex with someone you don't know their name, you don't know anything about them. You wouldn't be able to put them out of a lineup that would be used in court, to be like you fucking piece. Promis you love this kind of interaction?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and you know so as the court date gets closer and stuff, and then he testifies at court, the story changes a ton like. He changes the story to now they didn't meet outside, they met inside. They had beers together, and like the sisters like, I never saw them together. I don't think they found many witness any witnesses that saw them together. But he's trying to mold the story into this was romantic. This was like we were cute, we hit it off at the party, and then we left together. Then we stumbled down a hill and made out behind a dumpster, and it was romantic. Same as the episode, right, I thought it was romant. Whatever Okay, So he changes his story a lot. He told the cops that he never tried to run, and then in court.
Speaker 2: He and that's that he dis if a woman changed her story or anything, even if she had gone through a traumatic fucking attack.
Speaker 3: You liar, you liar. What can we believe you are? We can't.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you lied about the time that you left the library.
Speaker 3: So your whole story is a fucking sham. Yeah, you know. So anyway, we're angry.
Speaker 1: This story, this whole fucking case brings up a lot of about entitled rape culture men. So he originally said he didn't know how they got behind the dumpster, originally to the cops, but then at trial it's like, oh, no, she fell and I went to help her up, and we playfully landed behind the dumpster and all this like romance. Like him and his lawyer are obviously trying to like craft a narrative here that this was like a cutie hookup. He also never originally told the guys that found them or anyone that she consented, okay, Like he never was like, no, no, she's into it.
Speaker 3: Ask her.
Speaker 1: He never told the cops, no, she consented, and then suddenly at trial when he's telling the story she consented. The consent is all over the place. She consented to this, She consented to this, She consented to this. He's a full scumbag because at this point he knows. I think one article I read said he's the only one writing the script because the other person doesn't remember, you know. So he's like, oh, actually, even though I said something totally different right after the incident, and it's like months later, we actually did she did consent, and she did say like you know, so kind of he starts doing what they're trying to get this witness to do in the episode, is like be the witness to consent and testify that there was consent. So he also told authorities that he was the one who took off her underwear and asked if she wanted him to finger her, and she said yes. He says he testified that he quote unquote fingered her for a minute and he thought she orgasmed Okay, dude, okay, I mean it's just swimmer. You're not making anyone orgasm in any way, let alone rubbing fingering them for one minute, Like you're this that's insane.
Speaker 3: Why are you trying to get glory out of this.
Speaker 2: Now it's also so hard because it's like all of this work, you know what I mean, At that end of the day, it's like it all seems so crazy, it all like all of these little behaviors, but then they all worked. Yeah, he wasn't penalized for lying. He wasn't penalized for changing his story content. I mean that's the same thing, like he wasn't for being like all of these things.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't get no because I think he's like, nobody can really truly say that I'm lying about any of this. But he had said that she rubbed his back at one point, like he was saying all this shit, he said after the fingering, and you know, after she has the most amazing orgasm of her life from the one minute of fingering. Then he says they started dry humping, And I wrote in my notes, oh my god, electric chair for this freak, Like I just can't believe he's like telling this story with all these fucking details that are obviously such lies. And he said he said he never took off his pants or exposed his genitals, which I think is proven. But police did note when they got there that he had a boner under his pants, so uh, he was still turned on from raping someone. So Chanelle was taken to the hospital. She was unresponsive to police. The police were screaming at her to try to wake up, shaking her, screaming nothing. She was taken to the hospital, where it's reported that she did not regain consciousness until four point fifteen in the morning. So this girl was so incapacitated that she was unrevivable for three hours. And you were like, no, one second ago, she was loving this, I just and was giving me totally like enthusiastic consent.
Speaker 3: It's bullshit.
Speaker 1: She said she had pine needles in her hair and on her body. There was dried blood on her hands and elbows, I'm assuming from the fall, but also probably from the assault. And she told police she had no recollection of being alone with any man and she did not consent to any sexual activity. She also got a call from her boyfriend while she was in the hospital, who was worried about her, and he was like, hey, did you get home, because she realized that she had actually called him in her blackout the night before and left him a drunk voicemail, and then they spoke on the phone, and the boyfriend said she was luwering her words so badly that he kept telling her, go find your sister, like, go find your sister. So people are there's evidence of how actually wasted and unable to consent this girl was. And she said, you know, I didn't realize I had graduated college like.
Speaker 3: Six seven months before.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize how much my tolerance had gone, Like she wasn't used to how much she was drinking or whatever. And so meanwhile, I mean, it's really awful because she talks about how she's in the hospital and the pine needles just are falling out of her hair, and she just keeps finding little piles of pine needles, like in every room that she goes into. And at first she was like, oh, I thought maybe I just like fell, and then she realized, oh no, like this guy was attacking me just like in a garbage dump area, like a fucking freak.
Speaker 3: So anyway, we'll get to more of her statement.
Speaker 1: But meanwhile, that day that he's brought in, Turner posts his one hundred and fifty thousand dollars bail and he's released ten days later, on January twenty eighth, He's charged with two counts of rape, two counts of penetration, and one count of assault with intent to rape. Obviously, he pleads not guilty. At this point, the case is making national headlines with brock Turner's like goofy face, his mugshot, his isor bloodshot, like his mug shots popping up everywhere. I think it's kind of the perfect storm of his mug shot. He's a swimmer, it's Stanford, it's me too. Is really happening at this moment, and that people are also interested because Stanford had such an abysmal track record of investigating sexual assault allegations. Between ninety seven and two thousand and nine, a twelve year period, only four out of one hundred and seventy five sexual assaults that were reported were formally adjudicated at Stanford, and of those four, two attackers were held responsible. And that's according to sf gait reporting on research by a Stanford law professor named Michelle and this douber and remember her name because she comes in later. So this is a school that classically looks the other way at shit like this.
Speaker 3: So that's another part of it as well.
Speaker 1: And so this is in the news a lot, and then prosecutors drop the rape charges months before he goes to trial. I think they thought, given the current definition of rape in California, they thought that they wouldn't get a jury to buy that a rape without a penis can happen. So he stood like, you know, without like a penis and a penetration of some kind. So he stood trial for assault with intent to rape an intoxicated person, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object, and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: In my mind, I feel like I've even said it on this podcast that I thought he used a bottle. I thought he used a beer bottle. I made that up in my mind. For an object? Are his fingers? Like, I didn't know that foreign your fingers would be considered for an object. But that is what the law is saying at that point, is that is what they're talking about. There is another case I think that involved a bottle, and I think I complated them because it was around the same time. But they tried to make him out to be this innocent kid from Ohio, just a sweet suburban party amateur who had never really done drugs before, had never really drank or party before, and was trying to emulate his older swim team buddies, which is trying to be cool and.
Speaker 3: Do what they were doing.
Speaker 1: But pot prosecutors presented texts of him talking about drugs with friends before he even went to Stanford, Like, there's texts of him asking for dabs. There's text of him asking like to do LSD and shit, like he was doing into drugs before he went to college.
Speaker 3: And then the girl who he creeped out at the party, I think dabbing a bad name. Yeah, the girl that he creeped out at that party a week earlier was brought up.
Speaker 1: I don't know if she testified, but like her testimony, her like her statement was brought up. And so they're like trying to paint it as like a pattern of this is what this guy is kid is doing. He's getting wasted and he's being really aggressive with women and raping. So in March of twenty sixteen, he is found guilty on all three counts. Okay, and his lawyer of course like vowed to appeal it or whatever. And then so March of twenty sixteen is the guilty verdict, but he doesn't get sentenced for a few months. On May thirty first, twenty sixteen, his lawyer, Mike Armstrong asks the judge to sentence his client to an extremely lenient four months, stating that it's impossible to know when she went from being conscious to being unconscious, and he told the judge that Turner was quote a fundamentally good young man from a good family, with a record of real accomplishments, who made bad choices during his time at Stanford of about four months, especially related to alcohol, and the twenty minutes or so during the night of January seventeenth, eighteenth, twenty fifteen when he committed these serious crimes. So the lawyer are kind of like, bad choices, but he's accomplished so much.
Speaker 2: She's it's like, yeah, that's the reasoning doesn't matter, Like, yeah, I was a swimmer, I had a record. Should I go rape? What are you talking about? What are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Like who cares? Like who cares about swimming or anything?
Speaker 2: But like, I mean, I just can't believe we live in this world where like this boy's academic or swimming success is valuable.
Speaker 1: The men that are in power see themselves in him, Like you know, they see themselves in him. They're like, WHOA, what if I got in trouble? That's like every guy you talked to about, every guy you talked to about consent and rape and everything is like, oh well, I mean, now are you saying I've rape because I've had sex with a girl that's like really drunk or whatever. And it's like, you know, I don't know, I don't know that exact situation, but like these got these men see themselves in these young boys that have been given every advantage, and yeah, I still make these decisions.
Speaker 2: It's unfair that the burden of like protecting yourself is all on women too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't get drunk. You should have a whipit, you should have a plan B. You should be texting track, you know. Like but the dudes, it's like, stop fucking doing stuff drunk, be sober.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know, he would have raped forever, He would have raped forever. Thank god he's on the registry. Thank god he's on the registry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because this is like a plenty of people go to college and have never drank before or never really partied hard before, and they make stupid mistakes. They're not all raping, you know, Like so if you're it's like whatever. If alcohol is a truth serum and it kind of reveals a little bit of who you really are, then like your what your thing is is I take what I want and I you know, this is what I do.
Speaker 3: So I agree.
Speaker 1: I think he would have absolutely gone on to keep doing that or do more serious I'm so I'm curious if the jury got to sentence what they would have sentenced him.
Speaker 3: Fuck this judge, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So he also made sure the lawyer to note to the judge, you know, Turner's already been expelled from Stanford, which puts the cabash on what could have been a huge swimming career.
Speaker 3: Crimey a chlorinated river. What are we talking about?
Speaker 1: What do you mean a huge swimming career If you're not going to the Olympics, what is your swimming career? Like?
Speaker 6: Is there?
Speaker 2: He might never be able to sleep and feel safe ever in her life. Yeah, you might never be able to party, or her sister blames or something like yeah, like I just can't, I can't.
Speaker 1: I mean, he might not be able to do the butterfly stroke again. Who fucking cares anyway. Sorry, we were really shitting on swimming today. Even though Lisa, I didn't know you were a record holder. That's very impressive.
Speaker 2: It was a JV record, I left that out, but I did have the JV record for the hundred butterfly.
Speaker 1: Ooh, butterflies so hard I cannot do that stroke.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I ended up being like okay at swimming, you know, but then uh, I reached the maximum potential that I had.
Speaker 3: And then you just turn to a life of crime.
Speaker 1: Because if this woman's career can't happen anyway. So Chanelle Miller, the victim, read a victim impact statement that addressed Turner directly and started with quote, you don't know me, but you've been inside of me, and that's why we're here today. BuzzFeed published the entire statement, which is very lengthy and amazing.
Speaker 3: I've read it.
Speaker 1: I had read it when it first came out, and like I'm getting goosebumps now thinking about it, Like it is so well written.
Speaker 2: Once her academic career, you know, like we're so worried about this guy.
Speaker 1: I know, and she's also like a Chinese American girl, which I hadn't mentioned earlier. But people were like, also, yeah, like the fact that he's this white guy, Like, you know, victims of color don't get always the same treatment as like the white blonde woman women who go missing, like you know what we're calling the other day, like missing white women's syndrome. So it's really so like, it's so fucked in so many ways. But I love what she wrote. She wrote this really great. It's linked in our show notes her her entire statement that goes viral. She had no idea it was going to go so viral. She was like, oh my god, like it was. It had like fifteen thousand views within like minutes of her putting it up, and so a lot of.
Speaker 3: People were That was at the end of May.
Speaker 1: And so then June second, a couple days later of twenty sixteen, Judge Aaron Persky sentences brock Turner two six months in jail, three years of probation and orders him to be on the Sex Offender Registry for life. So the judge said that a longer prison term quote would have a severe impact on him end quote. Now, the mac sentence that he could have received, I guess was was fourteen years.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: This fuck face was sentenced to six months, and you can bet your ass he walked his ass out of Santa Clara County Jail on September second, having served three months of that six months. Like they couldn't even make him do the full fucking six months. And as he left, he had been in protective custody because of the status of the case in jail, and so it's like not only that, it's like he doesn't even he probably doesn't even really experience like the atrocities of being in the American prison prison system. He's because he's probably like in a protective custody by himself or with maybe a few other people. And he as he left, the corrections officers gave him a package of hate mail, which had been building up while he was there. So that's kind of fun. They're like, here you go, here's something to read on the car right home.
Speaker 2: Baby, Oh god, you don't hear much great news about correctionals officers.
Speaker 3: That was nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oot, cool cool cool, cool cool cool.
Speaker 3: That's for the people.
Speaker 1: That's for the Michelle Dauber, who I mentioned earlier, the Stanford law professor who had the research on the how much Stamford had been prosecuting or or not prosecuting, but adjudicating their rape cases on their campus. She launched a campaign to remove Perski from the bench. Okay, Aaron Persky is an elected trial judge, so they had to have a recall election. No trial judge recall had even made it to a ballot anywhere in the country since nineteen eighty two, and in California, no judge had been recalled since nineteen thirty two. And then there was Perski and this fucking joke judge was recalled successfully in twenty eighteen. Wow, wait, that never happens. I'm like shock, Yeah, so he was recalled. Unfortunately. I did read some research that was, like, the repercussions of recalling a judge for something like that is that other judges are going to take be more serious with their sentences, and those sentences are never on people like brock Turner, They're predominantly on people of color. And so research that was born out after said that the recall may have resulted in longer sentences unfortunately for a lot of people of color.
Speaker 3: But I think ultimately.
Speaker 2: This ends the message that it wouldn't impact more like lengthier sentences for the white guy since it was a white guy, Like, I can't believe.
Speaker 1: I think they're just doing all over sentences and people of color are getting arrested and brought to trial more often, and you know, like so they're because the law, because the law enforcement system is like rigged against them. So I that's like research that Actually Michelle Dauber herself put out after this happened, so there were like parts of the recall that she regretted. But whatever, I think it's good ultimately to show like, oh, this little good old boys club where you're not like where you could just say, oh, he's a sweet little boy. It's not gonna fly, like people will get your ass recalled. So the DA also used the rage over Turner sentence to successfully advocate for mandatory minimum prison sentences for defendants convicted of sexual assault. So under that new law, Turner would have gone a minimum of three years if it happened. Stay this is California, and that at the same time, the state legislature in California also expanded the definition of rape, and under that law, his assault involving digital penetration would have been considered rape instead of the sexual assault with the foreign object. So at least some like the smallest bit of silver lining is that some new legislature came out of this case and all the rage people had for it, so, you know, protesting and being pissed about shit like this like it can even though this joker only got three fucking months, the law has now been changed. So brock Turner tried to appeal his conviction in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: It did not work.
Speaker 1: The jury believed that he is he was rightfully convicted, and that he deserves to be on the sex Registry for life. And the shit he was trying to say for why he was saying I should have my conviction overturned because they were saying we were in a garbage enclosure rather than a dumpster era. It's like, what are you like semantics like trying to or like literally trying.
Speaker 2: To like Anthony Edwards like whatever whatever he could get, yeah, whatever, he was gonna try whatever he could.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I don't know what's going on with brock Turner.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I kind of tried to.
Speaker 1: I kind of tried to look up what was up with him, But there's like a whisper network in Ohio and whenever people see him out at the bars, they like take video and they send it around on TikTok, and it's always like watch out for this guy. Like people are really trying to make it so that he can like never date or be on app. I mean, I don't think if you're on the sex register like you could be on dating apps.
Speaker 3: But I doubt.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's ways around that because a lot of those apps don't really care about women's But.
Speaker 2: Well, also I heard he like, yeah, lives with his parents, and like, yeah, that lives with his parents, and yeah, this all happened like ten years ago.
Speaker 1: So he's about twenty nine and lives with his parents and he's on the sexoponder registry forever, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is that. But I would really really like that that.
Speaker 2: The judge got fucking punished for that too. Yeah, I'm sorry for the negative repercussions though, of course.
Speaker 1: And Chanelle did write a book and does speak and I'm gonna talk about that during what would Sister Pig Do?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for doing that. I really didn't want to research it so enraging.
Speaker 1: So but I really like people should read her victim statement and I think like people should give that victim statement to like anybody that's like, oh, she shouldn't have been drinking.
Speaker 3: Why don't women report this? And that?
Speaker 1: Like this woman wrote such a like amazing like visceral. I mean, she talks in her statement about how she did not really know, like no one ever really explained to her, like how she was found or like what the scene was until she read about it in the press and she was like, this cannot be what happened to me. Like you know, I think people were like, oh, you were you know, I think the cops tell you, oh, you were assaulted like whatever, But like she was like, oh, that's why pine needles were in my hair. Oh that's why this happened. Like I was behind a dumpster. Like it was like they didn't even I don't know if that was like a trauma thing to not tell her or whatever, but she would. She describes reading about her assault in the news and being like that that's how I found out, like kind of how all the events unfolded. And it's like she she's funny, She's a funny writer. She she keeps calling the two guys that stopped the attack the evil Swedes. She's like What would you have done if the evil Swedes hadn't come by to interrupt what happened?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Would you have walked me home?
Speaker 1: Would you have taken me some more warm like this girl did not wake up for three more hours? Would he have lugged her back? Would he have called campus safety and gotten her ride home?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: That guy would have probably left her by a fucking dumpster. And that's the truth. So anyway, I'm going to talk about her memoir and in what would Sister Peg Do? But for now we can cleanse our palette a little bit and get to an interview with an amazing guest that we have today that we've already teased. Okay, our guest today is an actor who you may have seen as a regular on shows like Apple TV's Your Friends and Neighbors and Law and Order True Crime The Menendez Brothers. She's also a big fan of stand up comedy. We've talked about it, and you know her today as our victim, Janie Spears. Please enjoy our chat with the lovely Anna Asciola.
Speaker 3: Hi, nice to meet you, Anna, I know you and Liza.
Speaker 2: Told everyone sorry, this is our first time booking a guest by John Ham summoning.
Speaker 3: It was a thrilling evening for me.
Speaker 2: I don't did you notice I was staring at you kind of weird or no?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Not okay, yeah, because I was like, I fucking know this girl. I know. I think also because like your hair is like so curly in the episode and if the straight night.
Speaker 5: Though, but I just love that because I go through my life having that experience so many times, and the first thing I do is look up to see if they've been on SVU because it's like that then usually that's where I know them from.
Speaker 4: So oh, I'm very flattered.
Speaker 5: The reverse has taken placed percent.
Speaker 2: And it's also, I think an episode we were avoiding because brock Turner makes us so mad, like it's such a current case. We were in it through it because we we researched all the real crime. It's just everyone's a criminal and bad that we researched. But this case we were like, fuck.
Speaker 4: But it was really was not carried out, no in this instance.
Speaker 5: And then there was the you know, the sort of twist with Olivia's ex partner and all of that, which I kind of forgot and I rewatched the episode last night.
Speaker 4: I was like Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: That was also a factor that was making it a little not rock turnery. Also that he was sort of like working class the dad rather than in the real brock Turner case, he's like this super you know, upper crust rich kid. That's yeah, I think they still even more maddening.
Speaker 1: They tried to make him a little bit rich kid with the whole Goldman Sachs like d Bond Trader thing. But he is from like a cop family, so it's a it's a little bit different, but and exciting seeing Anthony Edwards.
Speaker 5: Yes, for sure, and also playing kind of like a dick, which you don't really associate him with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at least I didn't growing up watching Er. He always seemed like, you know, the sweet guy.
Speaker 1: I remember crying really hard when his character died on e R. Like it was the first time that that Hawaiian version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow was used at They were really like using that as a tool of destruction to break people's.
Speaker 4: I think I said that was like maybe after I stopped watching, because I don't I don't remember that as there's.
Speaker 1: Like a balloon that goes up into the sky and you're just like, oh my God, Doctor Green, like It's tough, It's tough.
Speaker 3: I was that was like my mom's show, my mom definitely.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, I didn't mean that, mean.
Speaker 4: That before or am the youngest of four, so I was watching things that I should not have been.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, from the time that I was really little. I remember, oh my god, just like everything. But I mean TV shows especially like uh like, I remember watching La Law probably when I was like three or four years old SNL. I also watched Howard Stern like when it was on E because my dad would always watch it.
Speaker 2: I watched it on CBS after S and Now and I would turn down the volume and I was and then I would yeah, and then I would go more perverted into HBO's real sex if it was like a real for me.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Bunny Ranch, oh yeah, yes, absolutely, But no, Howard Stern was like on in the main like in the living room, just for everyone to walk.
Speaker 3: Wow, isn't that wild?
Speaker 2: We love people will send us there's a lot of viral videos of babies dancing to the SVU theme song, and we really love that.
Speaker 3: We really love it.
Speaker 1: And everybody tells us they watched it with their mom or their grandma growing up when they were like way too young to watch it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, no, I would just watch it at home.
Speaker 5: And I'm pretty sure the first time I had, like when ring tones became a thing, like when you could pick your own ringtone, you could like download a song. The first one that I ever did was the lawn Order theme song when I was in tenth grade.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I had a murder. She wrote one song. I actually am aging myself. I think I'm seventy, like I like few theme song ring and then you manifested it and you got to be on.
Speaker 4: The show, Like it was very exciting.
Speaker 2: How have you been auditioning for a while? Was it the first audition?
Speaker 6: Yea?
Speaker 3: Had you been gunning out for it?
Speaker 4: No, it was.
Speaker 5: It did come about sort of in a very strange, unusual way because I used to live in New York, but then I moved out to LA to pursue acting, and I was back visiting my best friend for like the last two weeks of the summer, and it was the tail end of this that I got this audition and I went in and read for it, and then the day that I was meant to go back to La they were like, they want you to to come back in for a callback, and I was like, Okay, well are they going to tell me if I booked it like before eight pm? Because I got to get on a plane and so I was waiting, waiting, and then also sort of not having anything to do with it.
Speaker 4: But I feel like it was cosmically related.
Speaker 5: I was having a tarot reading, and like at the very end of the tarot reading, I got the call from an agent that I had booked it so.
Speaker 1: Well did the reader predict that at all? Or was there something big is about to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't remember like anything specifically with that, but I just feel like there was a lot of positive energy that was brewing, and I was very much so like needing to book this or I would not be able to continue with SAD health insurance.
Speaker 3: So it was.
Speaker 5: It came out of very opportune, opportune time, So it was. And then I got to stay in the city for like another two weeks and be a working actor in the city, which was very exciting.
Speaker 3: Damn, it's so cruel, and it's a you know, it's juicy.
Speaker 2: You're at the hospital, you're at the party, you're at the pesting.
Speaker 3: It's all the different rooms. Yeah, you're a big, big, big, big guest.
Speaker 4: I'm the victim. Yeah I was. I couldn't I couldn't believe.
Speaker 5: It was the first time I had like booked something where it was like, I've been watching this show since I was whatever five years old, and now I get to be on it.
Speaker 2: Was it extra exciting because it's SVU, You've watched it forever.
Speaker 3: Was it like, what were your feelings?
Speaker 4: Definitely? That was Yeah.
Speaker 5: That was like I was saying, that was the first show that I've been on where it was something that I had been watching since I was little, and it was you know, this cult phenomenon basically, but one that I was really, you know, a fan of.
Speaker 4: So that was awesome.
Speaker 5: And big shoes to Phil playing you know, the the victim of the story and for a rip from the headlines story. Uh, and then obviously the legacy of you know, all of these actors who have have gotten their start on Law and Order. It was like, this is you know a big deal and you know, so I I am. I'm sad that I didn't get Stabler, but getting to work with Marishka, she just like she gives so much in every scene. It makes it like her compassion just comes off as so genuine in a scene with her that it makes it so easy to really like feel bad for yourself and and be able to get to these really emotional places that you have to get to. So I just remember that specifically in the scenes with her, that it was like I would just immediately get to where I needed to be because she was just she was so warm and present and like gave so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that scene. I love that scene where you're like, why do I have to testify? Like why is it all on me to say that this is like what happened? Like that one that was that really got me? Great job?
Speaker 4: Yeah that thank you. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 5: I remember shooting that one was like for me in the moment, I felt like I wasn't getting to where I needed to be. And then watching it back and even you know, people that know me, like I remember my sister saying like, oh my god, that that was like you that would was the way you get when you are, you know, in that mode and uh. And then when I watched it back last night, I was like, oh, yeah, I guess that was that was pretty accurate, I feel like, and I could see that my chest was like red in the scene, so I was like, really, you know, trying trying to get to that place. But I did really like that line that it's like, you know it, I'm the victim. Why is it my responsibility to prove that I'm a victim? Like this guy should prove that, even though obviously that's not the way the justice system works. But but yeah, if you are violated in that way, it's just like another level to have to then convince people that you were violated.
Speaker 3: Are you from the East Coast?
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm from Cambridge, Massachusetts. But then I moved to New York when I was fifteen, So I went to high school in the city.
Speaker 3: Oh did you go to like performing arts or like, where did you come here to act?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I went to uh No.
Speaker 5: I convinced my parents to move to New York City when I was fourteen fifteen because I was the only kid left in the house. All my siblings i'd moved out and they all lived in New York and I just really.
Speaker 4: Wanted to live in New York.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie in part very heavily influenced by reading the Gossip Girl novels.
Speaker 4: When you're like, I want to be.
Speaker 3: Our tenis as a sophomore in high school, this is my life.
Speaker 5: Much And then my ulterior motive was that I wanted to become a model. So when I moved to New York, I went on an open call and got the modeling agent and that that all.
Speaker 1: Wow, it all worked out, took off. Yes, that's a lot of good planning for a fifteen year old. I would say most people, most fifteen year olds don't know what they want.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I was very I always known exactly what I want.
Speaker 2: Wow, how long did it take you to convince them to leave Cambridge?
Speaker 6: Like a year?
Speaker 5: My mom is from New York to my entire extended family is from New York, so you know, we would go to New York all the time.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like a random foreign concept.
Speaker 5: But I think I started with, you know, I want to I want to move to New York City. I want to go to this you know, I want to go to school in the city.
Speaker 4: And I looked up which ones.
Speaker 5: I would want to go to, and there were two that I liked that had the sort of the.
Speaker 3: Girl life.
Speaker 5: Not really like no, if I really wanted to be like, you know, living living the gossip girl dream, I would have gone to Dalton or somewhere uptown. But I had always, you know, had like progressive education, and so I was I was sort of tempering it with that. So I was either going to go to Friends or Little Red Schoolhouse. And I ended up choosing Little Red School hups in Elizabeth Irwin High School, so like downtown sort of more artsy schools, And so my mom was like, well, you.
Speaker 4: Can apply, but we're not moving.
Speaker 5: So I applied and then I ended up getting in, and then my mom, you know, let me go and tour the school. And then over the course of the year, after all of these benchmarks of you know, I sent the application, I got accepted. I then by the spring I had worn them thin, I guess, and they were like, all right, let's let's try something new. And they'd lived in Cambridge for thirty years and they went for it.
Speaker 1: So that's so cool. So you love TV and movies.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, Yes, I grew up in a TV movie household.
Speaker 4: There was no there was no limit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I'm a have always been a very like hard working straight a student, I would always do my homework in front of the TV.
Speaker 1: But you know, just that was there was never what a dream. I was not allowed to do that And that sounds so cool, but you guys do. But you are a movie and TV family.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 3: That's strange.
Speaker 2: You had all these limits, but you all yeah because now movies as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like it reads that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we weren't allowed to watch it at all during the week only on the weekend.
Speaker 3: And then on the weekend I'd be like put blinders on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yes, that would be like if you had a friend that didn't have cable and then they came over and it would be like, yeah, we like go play.
Speaker 4: Like no show.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I would rush home from school like give me full house at four four thirty since sept five, like let's keep it going.
Speaker 5: I just yes, oh yeah, no, like when you when you got home early enough where you'd get to watch a show normally, Yeah, get to watch was very exciting and then the whole you know TRL era that was a very long Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I get home for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have part of my lore is that I ran home to watch a Backstreet Boy premiere of a music video, but I ran home realized they didn't have keys, didn't know how to get it, broke down our back door that like where the knob is was a hole, and I like broke it and got to watch the video.
Speaker 3: But yeah, what song was it again?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it was more than that. It was like the video or the one. It was the video where it was for the fans. It was their tour and it was like, you'll be the I think it's you'll be the one more then that's more sad. It was that, Yeah, not even a giant hit, not even a giant.
Speaker 3: You're like, this is for me.
Speaker 1: We have had like a lot of people on this podcast who are also married to actors, and you're married.
Speaker 3: To an actor.
Speaker 1: How does that go? Do you guys help each other? Do help each other with scenework? Which is you know, like do you.
Speaker 4: Well there's uh.
Speaker 5: As as the industry stands right now, the majority of my auditions are done through self tape. It's very rare that I get to go into an office off the bat and audition for something, maybe for a callback or something. But so uh, John is always my reader on the other side of the of the camera. And he does have a rather distinct voice, so.
Speaker 4: I want you to tell people are like, who's that?
Speaker 3: What is it.
Speaker 4: Familiar?
Speaker 5: But yeah, as fars like, logistically, it's a huge help because I don't really have friends that are actors, not by for any reason. It's just that's just the way it is. So when I would have, you know, like my best friend read with.
Speaker 3: Me, it's it's rough.
Speaker 4: It's like, uh, you know.
Speaker 5: And so to be able to read where the other person's an actual actor and a good one, it's very very helpful. But as far as like when a job is booked, we're not really getting in each other's business or given any notes unless they're explicitly asked.
Speaker 4: But it's more just setting up.
Speaker 5: The camera and you know, yeah, making sure I look good in the light and reading the other lines.
Speaker 3: How did you guys meet? Did you guys meet on a set?
Speaker 4: Or yes, we met? We met on the last episode of mad Men, that's crazy the finale? Yes?
Speaker 3: What are yet? What is there? Pard?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that I don't remember that episode very well. I mean I remember that Coca Cola of it all, but yeah, yes.
Speaker 4: So the last episode, Don Draper goes to a retreat in California, which is supposed to sort of be modeled after esseln uh you know, back in the sixties. I think this is now nineteen seventy.
Speaker 5: Is the last episode, and I play a like the receptionist basically there. So we have two scenes where we're interacting. But we shot it in Big sur So that was like I'd never been to Big Serve before, and anybody who has not been there, I highly recommend it. It was It was stunning and just like such a magical place, which is where we ended up getting married, you know, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: We really ought in the same way.
Speaker 6: That was. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, a big wedding sounds nice. Yes, And you've worked together since and is that fun?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, Now we're working together on your Friends and Neighbors, uh, for which this we just finished the second season, which should be out in the spring. And it's fun that we get to uh, you know, go to set together, and we have our dog, and we get to live in New York for half the year and all of those things are you know, I mean, that's like value added times a million.
Speaker 4: But our characters don't really interact that much within the show.
Speaker 5: So again, we're not really like having to get into character with each other that often.
Speaker 3: Where do you guys shoot this.
Speaker 5: Your friends and neighbors. We shoot in Westchester mostly around that's here where I'm from. Oh really Connecticut, which like right by Connecticut but right by the Westchester border. Yeah, yes there, and showrunner lived lived I think in Greenwich orhen you're Greenwich and it's sort of the town is a fictional town that's like an amalgam of basically that in all of these Westchester.
Speaker 3: Ye, Rye and Larchemond. Yes, yeah, yes.
Speaker 4: You shoot a lot in Rye Harrison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I literally just clicked on it on IMDb and it's like showing a trailer of your friends and neighbors, and it's so East Colle It's so yeah, like that area.
Speaker 4: I think the main street is Main Street in Rye.
Speaker 6: Cute.
Speaker 3: If you were to come back on SBU, who would you play?
Speaker 5: I feel like in the original Mold I would make an amazing ada, agreed Paul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a Stephanie mart.
Speaker 4: Red hair exactly. Yes, so you know, I'm clearly part of the Dick Wolf.
Speaker 5: Universe as is, so maybe you never know, but yeah, that's I feel like I've I've grown into that role.
Speaker 4: I think I could pull it off. And I always wanted to be.
Speaker 5: A lawyer when I was younger, but like say, it was either an actor.
Speaker 2: Or a lawyer.
Speaker 4: I would have made a really really good lawyer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but it's so much paperwork, like it.
Speaker 5: Really exactly the best case is just to get to be a lawyer on a.
Speaker 3: TV The one I mean is the hero of the show.
Speaker 2: But if you're the if you're the DA, you're usually like you you make the case fine, it's like the last thing you're usually tricking, get someone thing. You're like wait what, and then you got to kind of get to embarrass someone.
Speaker 7: It's really yes, so electric you you get to you have the final say, you know, Rischko only only gives her two cents, but the ADA really.
Speaker 4: I also loved the a DA from from my episode of Barbara.
Speaker 1: Oh please, we love Barbara, We love Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you for watching it too, it must be did you watch it when it first came out or.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yes, I'm a I need I need to see.
Speaker 3: My work on the screen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like watching it through, you know, like fingers like this because it's you're cringing half the time, but then you do want to see how it all turned out after you put that much effort and energy into it. But I hadn't seen it since then, so I enjoyed it as a fan of the show.
Speaker 4: I thought it was it's so.
Speaker 1: Nice to talk to someone who is a fan of the show, because we talked to lots of people.
Speaker 3: It's always great.
Speaker 1: But when they're like, I don't really watch, it wasn't that big of a thing for me, except that it's great to get on Law and Order if you live in New York, you know.
Speaker 3: I like when it's somebody that loves the show.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I hadn't really watched in a like I stopped watching the New Ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I feel like I might jump back in now, might have.
Speaker 3: Now that you're now that is the main character.
Speaker 2: But did you do you leave seasons like you stopped once Stabler left or did you ever pop in for the Amaro rollin?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I've definitely watched after Stabler left, and I hadn't. I think I was still kind of watching like every season premiere up to like when I shot, and then I think sort of after that maybe i'd watch like the first episode and then i'd sort of like fall off, But I definitely haven't watched it in many, many many years, like like a live episode or if like what happens to be on and then I'm like, who are these people?
Speaker 4: When did this happen?
Speaker 2: There's been a lot we get a detective or like boss for a few year or a year and they're But Kevin Kane's the most consistent new guy that I think is gonna okay.
Speaker 3: I really like and this character a lot.
Speaker 5: And so sometimes I hear that Stabler pops in with some gassover episodes I drew a lot.
Speaker 1: Of over they're trying to promote his show, but they're also trolling the fans that want them to get together, even though it's never going to happen.
Speaker 3: And it's like a little it's.
Speaker 2: Always an almost kiss, it's an I love you, it's a weird letter, it's the tease, and it's like we'd want better for her, and she cannot be with this man who's treated her like a second option, right, doesn't go to therapy, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: My wife's said, now, I could tease you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she deserves so it's like hard for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was so great.
Speaker 3: Thank you for talking to us, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 1: Our listeners are going to be very excited because yeah, this was my worry.
Speaker 4: Your first is my first podcast? Wow, thank you.
Speaker 3: We couldn't tell. We couldn't tell, we couldn't tell. Excited to be your first.
Speaker 5: I think it also will be be the first one I listened to when when it comes out.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to download Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I'll email you and you'll explain to me.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is so nice. What a nice scale, very cool, down to earth.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I also just love like she she got it together as a teen. She's like, I'm gonna go to this little red school. I'm going to be a model, and then I'm moving to LA and my whole family is going to follow me. And I'm like, okay, you're I mean, what an alpha bitch. She's like a main character energy in her fan for sure.
Speaker 3: For sure they're.
Speaker 1: Like, I guess if A is going to La, pack the bags guys, But yeah, I can't believe she's also like once I googled the photo of her in the Mad Men final episode, I'm like, yes, the little like she looks kind of like a Swiss miss girl or anything with like the red ribbons in her hair, and like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I have to watch mad Men. I do.
Speaker 2: It just is like it's so prestige. You really have to be in the mood.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. Yeah, avoided for so long. I really liked it. But it's like very it is like Artie, it's kind of like you're you're just like it's not like it's not like Breaking Bad, which was also very prestige, but something like crazy fucking happens every episode in Breaking Bad, you know, like Mad Men would just have some episodes that were more all.
Speaker 3: Those women seem so cool.
Speaker 2: I also like John Slattery, I was an advertising major for a semester.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that stuff would interest you. I mean it's very frustrating watching also, and like claw her way to the top because these men are you know, horrible for a lot of it. But also just like the way it's done, like you feel like you're in that time period, like you know, it's like I remember reading that Christina Hendrix like was wearing underwear from the time, but like everything is so like authentic from the time period. That and New York in a different time period is always interesting to me. You know, maybe a blizzard that's like a blizzard watch, Oh, a blizzard, you know, like, listen, you're packed in, you have three days.
Speaker 3: I think that's gonna be my I'm waiting for the blizzard.
Speaker 1: Okay, if global warming might make it so that you never see mad men. Back to SVU, the post mortem on this is, yeah, fuck the fucking fuck of the rape culture.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad that that judge got recalled.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that it ended up possibly resulting in some knee jerk reactions from other judges that probably unfortunately affected the wrong people. But I just think we needed to send a message to all the fucking old, crusty white judges that they can't let young, crusty white men get away with their crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hund you know, but her book. I need to read Chanelle Miller's book, like I It's just it's such a common story and I guess it's not cool. I don't know the right words because I would hope this never happened, But it's a compelling read. I would say, like I want. I'm compelled to read it because she seems very smart, well spoken, like was able to do all that, so like to be able to kind of write about this common experience is probably helpful to a lot of people. I don't know, I'm like into it. I but the audience know. I'm not reading it. I'm gonna try. I'll buy it. I'm gonna buy it right now. I'll buy it. You know, I'm not gonna read it, but at least I'll give her something. I'm not even gonna go to Amazon. I'm gonna go to a small bookstore right now. Do I google small bookstore? Small bookstore? You know, you know it's like a good bookstore. Is Powell's Bookstore? I think it's in Portland, Casey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's like a bookstore that I think is like trustworthy in terms of shipping.
Speaker 3: And all that.
Speaker 1: But all right, well, speaking of the book, let's get into our what would Sister Peg Do, which is our weekly segment where we direct you towards a book, an organization, something to give you more info about what we talked about today, and obviously we want to point you towards Chanelle Miller's book. Know my Name is what it's called. This is her account of the events of her sexual assault, but also the trial and how she coped with it all. And I'll say, like her impact statement is so well written and amazing that I can only imagine the book is just like, you know, a longer version of that. And she talked about how writing this book was her attempt to reappropriate her narrative identity.
Speaker 3: So check out No My Name.
Speaker 1: You can also check out she wrote a why a novel that has nothing to do with the crime called Magnolia Wu Unfolds It All and the main character is a Chinese American nine year old sock detective.
Speaker 3: What's a sock detective? Missing socks and reunites them with.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's freaking cute. And it takes place in New York. If you have a teen or somebody that's into the YA type books, let's get them Magnolia Woo Unfolds It All for this coming holiday season, and yeah, that will. Both of those books will be linked in our show notes and they will also be posted as stories the day this episode comes out, and those get saved. Those stories get saved in our WWSPD highlights. You can always go back if you're feeling generous and check out some of the organizations we've recommended and donate money or read books or articles or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for saving all of them, Kara. I think probably, I think they know it's not me doing it, but just to make sure a loud shout out. I'm also hoping that we meet more guests in the wild. It is just more exciting it is when you kind of trap a human out in the wild and brand and get him in there.
Speaker 1: Oh it's my I mean I've so far I lured one guest in from the playground. Yeah, you've got one from the comedy club. And you're meeting people on sets now that you're luring in. I think it's good. I think it's good. We're trapping people, we're setting up traps in the wilds and I love it. Next week we're going way back. We're going way back Russian love poem from Season one, episode twelve. And we appreciate all of you listening. Have a safe and spooky Halloween. Bye.
Speaker 2: That's messed up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun dun