Speaker 1: I Am all in again. Oh that's just you.
Speaker 2: I Am All in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi guys, welcome to.
Speaker 2: Another episode of I'm All in Town Meeting with myself, Tara and Suzanne.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, Today we're talking about season one episode nineteen, Emily in Wonderland, which aired on April twenty sixth, two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: This was a good episode. It's not one that I really watched that often, and I'm but I don't know why, Like there's it's a good episode.
Speaker 2: The second the episode started and they were at Friday night dinner and they were talking about like the anti shopping, I was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, I know this episode.
Speaker 2: It was like it all came back to me, like again, like it's not one of those like let's go back to or even like you know sometimes on some channels, i'd like reair episodes. Yeah, this isn't one of them that like often pops up.
Speaker 1: I feel like, right, like it's not it's it doesn't really stick out in any kind of way.
Speaker 2: But it's so important. It's such an important episode if you think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably the first time that we see Emily in Stars Hollow. Well, I mean she came for the birthday party but didn't really see the town.
Speaker 3: But she just went to the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so yeah, there was there was a lot of a lot of good stuff here, and there was some Rachel stuff, there was some Lane stuff. We got Rune like, there was just a.
Speaker 3: Lot happening Rune.
Speaker 2: You know. I did the recap with Scott and Kendall Schmi yesterday.
Speaker 3: And I didn't want to. I was like, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: I'm used to our conversations and I almost like popped into like call out some stuff, and I was like, I think at one point I was like, Susanna, are Susan and I are going to talk about you know? And then I just was like bit my tongue. But you know, well, I do find it very odd. There's some inconsistencies with this show, as we've talked about. I just find it so odd that she has never been to Stars Hollow. And I'm just going to jump around at what age did LORELEI leave with Rory and move into that show, do you know what I mean? Like, because remind me what did Rory say age wise when she was telling Emily about it, Like at what age was she there?
Speaker 1: I don't remember in this episode, but in other episodes they have stated that Lorelai was seventeen when she got to the Star and the Independence Okay, And there was also in another episode there's a comment where Emily says something about the stroller like laying around the house for a year, So we think she stayed for a while, Like when they got to Star's Hollow, Lorelai was seventeen, and so Rory would have.
Speaker 3: Been oneish Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they did say in the birthday party episodes that that was the first time that they had ever been to her house, like they had visited her at the Independence Inn. But she probably would have shown them around. She probably would have tried to keep them in the lobby, yeah, not the shed, wanted to show them where she was living.
Speaker 2: What did you think? What of this whole scene? And I guess we're a big picture. We're talking about, like Emily finding out where I thought the.
Speaker 1: Whole I don't know. I can understand why she would be taken aback by at first by like this is what you ran away from the lap of luxury to this, like she can't. She's not able to comprehend why someone doesn't want her lifestyle. Yeah, and so for her, she's like, why would you want to leave this, you know, marvelous palace that we gave you to go live in this shed? But that's not what it was about for Laura. I for Laura, it was about she needed to get out from under being smothered, and I was kind of it made me kind of sad when when she did the big reveal of Rory's new room and then Laurela I tried to explain, She's like, you know, I just needed to be somewhere else and then but Emily wouldn't even let her continue. Like Emily just didn't even want to have a conversation about it. She wanted to just be in her tantrum, which you know, I can.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: She was hurt, she was hurt when Laureli left, and I get it. But I think the whole room decorating thing was a complete overreaction because they're not still living in the shed. Why does she need this yeh bedroom?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't even take it as you can live here, mind you.
Speaker 2: They also kept Loreali's room you know, the same and this wasn't This wasn't Lorelie's room, right, this is like another room in the house.
Speaker 1: I think it was a different room because the door was in a different place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought. But I took it as look at the life we could have given your daughter growing up. I think it was more of like an f you to Laura. I then like, this is for you, Rory, because I didn't think of it like which, by the way, you know, we already got to that episode where Rory like it was snowed in and Rory ended up staying the night and Laura lighting comes of right night dinner, So like, yeah, I do understand, like maybe it's nice for Rory to have a room. She's close to Chilton when she's there at her grandparents' house, So I understand. But then like if you look like like the stuff on the bed, like stuffed animals or whatever was like very like younger, and so yeah, I thought of it as look at the life your daughter could have had in this home if you stayed, and yet you decided to go to a broken shed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. I didn't even think about it that way in terms of showing what their life could have been. But you're right, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: I also did laugh.
Speaker 2: You know, I gotta give Emily credit for asking for in Sync or Backstreet Boys posters.
Speaker 1: She did try, Yeah, I mean to try. Did try to make it something that a team girl.
Speaker 3: We're ninety eight degrees.
Speaker 1: I thought it was funny that when she showed Rory the room, she gets to look at it for like two seconds and then she's like, Okay, let's go see if dinner's ready. It's not like, you know, step inside, enjoy the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I also, you know, Laura l I in that moment didn't start a fight. It was really Emily because even Laura I responded, She's like, why did we start fighting?
Speaker 3: Like she said it out loud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Emily just blasted her and totally caught her off guard. So one thing, A couple of things I noticed when they were in. First of all, I loved missus Kim and Emily in.
Speaker 3: The Thank God that was awesome. We we should have had more of that throughout the series.
Speaker 2: It's like such a shame that we didn't because they could be great friends.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, they had they think alike on a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and and this is the first time Emily met Michelle Yes, which we've seen them in her act more over the year.
Speaker 3: It's not as much as we'd like, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're speaking French. Yeah, that was That was cute. That was cute.
Speaker 2: Before we started recording, I told Susan, I'm like, I don't really have a lot for this episode to say. I did have one call out, just like this is it's just like a choice.
Speaker 3: I was about to say. I was about to say, Scott, not Luke. Luke's safe is just out in the middle. Like usually when you have.
Speaker 2: A safe, you like hide it in a closet or you know, the safe is not decor And I love that Luke's safe was just there and he's like opening it with his code right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I guess Star's hollow is just so crime free you could just leave your safe in the look.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was funny, like obviously, like I'm not like, it wasn't like a bones bit. It was just like funny. I'm like, Okay, the safe, I mean, it was a pretty blue. It was like like a core.
Speaker 3: But I just thought it makes a decent end table.
Speaker 1: It's very sturdy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't there something on top of it too there.
Speaker 1: I think there was like a picture frame or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just thought it was so funny.
Speaker 2: I was like, all right, the safe is just if I have anything important, it's right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Speaking of that scene and kind of going back to what we talked about last week, there was a ton of that wobbly camera work in that scene. Yep. The entire the entire apartment scene, like even when as they were, like from when they walked in, and especially when Lorelei and Rachel were sitting on the couch, the like all wobbly, but that whole scene you could see was it was a hand hold.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I have the DVD's currently not near me because I have boxes of stuff right now, but I don't have a DVD player. I would like to watch some of these on the DVD and just see, like I wonder if it's because now on Netflix it's like so HD, Yeah, that that's why we're seeing Like there was another little crack in the camera.
Speaker 3: There was one little second.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember what scene it was at this point, but it just makes me wonder if like the quality is so high definition now that that's why we're noticing these things because mind you, I don't remember paying attention that in detail watching the DVDs back in the day. But yeah, yeah, I mean I wonder if it's just how it transitioned over time.
Speaker 1: When you talk about the camera, there was an I did notice that too. There was like another I don't want to call it a hair because I don't I don't think it actually is a human hair, but like a piece of fuzz or something. Somebody in the in the comments from before said it was probably something that was on the original tape stock before it was transferred to which could totally who so it was even notice it. It was in the scene where they were in the kitchen at the inn and when Suki was walking it.
Speaker 3: Was on the bottom right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know what's funny is the last time, wasn't it like bottom right, But it was a different location, so yeah, maybe it was.
Speaker 1: It was more in the center. It was the bottom, but more like in the seventh.
Speaker 2: That one was the entire scene though that one was the entire scene of when they had sex on the balcony.
Speaker 1: M hmmm, yeah, yeah, it was because it was just that one angle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this one was literally two seconds. But then I was like it went away so quickly. I was like, oh, I'm just not I was like, I'm not going to mention it, but yeah, but I noticed it too. Yeah, there was no clown pillow in this scene in this episode, but there was like a clown statue behind Rory and Lane when they're talking in her room. Oh, I didn't even It is a tiny little clown figurine, very tiny. Interesting, Okay, and then it makes me wonder, why do these people love clowns so much?
Speaker 3: Like truly, that is terrifying.
Speaker 1: And there were a bunch of clowns in a in bun Heads too, like.
Speaker 2: In oh really, Yeah, I know Amian Danyelle watched bun Heads and I have not been keeping up with it, but I feel like I need to go back and just binge Bunheads.
Speaker 3: Because it was only one season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not that it's it's not gonna be too long to binge. You could probably do it in the.
Speaker 2: Day which, by the way, speaking of Jackie, tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they are about to do Parenthood as their next show to watch.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that I have to watch that one again.
Speaker 3: There was a poll that I also voted.
Speaker 2: It was between What's Next masl or Parenthood, and I voted Parenthood.
Speaker 3: I have you watched Parenthood?
Speaker 1: I did. I've seen Parenthood twice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say, I think two or three times. But I love that show. And sorry to get off topic, but I'm probably gonna follow along with yeah, yeah one.
Speaker 1: I know. I started out with but on bunheads with them too, and then i'd work just got so crazy busy. I can barely keep up with the podcast. You and I hear.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: I want to watch that hood again too.
Speaker 2: We talk about this all the time, but I always like, I want to keep going. When we watched this like last night, I was like, well, I watched one nineteen to do, like the one with Scott and Kendall, and I was like, should I just keep going? I'm like no, because what's going to happen is we're gonna jump on I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Mix up episodes.
Speaker 2: I stopped myself because I did that once where I just kept going and I'm like, oh no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it all starts to blur together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I didn't really have any big callouts and this minus the safe so I don't know if I had anything.
Speaker 1: A couple minor things and I'll just run through them. So one thing I noticed, and it's unusual in Los Angeles, so I have to call it out in the diner scene. It wasn't a part of the story. But when they were in the diner scene with like this, the the master shots that were all four of them, uh, Rory and lor Lai and then Rachel and Luke, it's raining outside, Oh is it not? When they did the close ups, it doesn't look like it was raining, but in the wide shots it's pouring outside and there's people walking around, but they don't have umbrellas, so it probably was just like one of those things where it just happened to be raining that day, but they didn't want it to be raining in the story.
Speaker 3: So they're just why can they have a I know, like why couldn't they.
Speaker 1: Just why would it matter? Which give them an umbrella?
Speaker 2: But yeah, but the ground is always wet at stars hollows, so why does it matter?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Even like in this episode, I actually there was one scene. I couldn't remember where it was, but there was a scene that it showed the town and the ground was wet, but it totally looked like they wet it because I think the sun was kind of out. But also I feel like they do that for like the morning shots when they're walking to like Luke's and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which makes sense, but why couldn't they have umbrellas?
Speaker 2: I know, which, by the way, you can't see it right now. I just looked up in the corner of We're redoing my house, so everything's a hot mess.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna show you.
Speaker 2: But I was unpacking boxes and I had bought the stars Hollow candle at the Warner Brothers tour. Oh yeah, and I just put it up like on my little like table here. It's still in the box, but I don't want to take it out of the box because it's really cute. The box looks like stars Hollow, So I'm like, do I just keep the box with the candle? And then I wanted to light it, and I'm like, if I light this, I know myself, I go through candles pretty quickly. If I light this, this will be done in like three weeks. And then I don't have a Star's hollow candle anymore. But it's the brand homesick.
Speaker 3: For anyone who's wondering.
Speaker 1: Two more things wouldn't be so I put up a picture on Instagram. But when in the scene where Emily and missus Kim are talking in the antique store, I notice there's like on the left side of the screen there's some weird like mannequin thing, and it's like, but it's like a woman in a pink dress, but the woman is green. No, it was the weird I don't know what the heck it was. It looks like some kind of a paper mache statue or something.
Speaker 3: I did not see that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I asked my husband, I'm like, what is that thing? And he goes, I don't know, it looks like Shrek.
Speaker 2: The only thing I could think of in that scene for some reason that mind you, We've been in the antique store before, and the only thing I could think of is, how the hell do they live in this house? I know, like, yeah, they only have in even the kitchen. When they went into the kitchen scene, right the kitchen is like, how do you cook? There's so much happening like there was. I'm just being picky, but it's not like.
Speaker 1: A living area. It's like they are literally just spending.
Speaker 3: The night, like they only have their bedrooms.
Speaker 2: Like no wonder Lane needs that, you know, floorboard hide in hiding place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then the last thing I had was the storeroom scene where Luke and Lorelai are in the storeroom unpacking the boxes. I have. So, first of all, I have to say I was very disappointed to see that Luke had canned chili. I would expect Luke to be making chili from scratch.
Speaker 3: Just want to say that maybe it's backup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe maybe emergency chili. And also turkey gravy in cans. I mean, no, that's not what I expect more from Luke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, just in general, Well maybe it was for Luke.
Speaker 1: I don't know. They were giant cans, and there were a lot of I mean, I can't imagine him eating that much turkey gravy by himself, okay, fair, but a lot of like canned vegetables and stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm like, dude, like they just needed to give him something to place.
Speaker 1: I think, so yeah, everywhere, But did you notice in the background behind Laurele I. There was not like the commercial box like you've seen in the grocery store, but there was a cardboard shipping size box of pop tarts. No way, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well we'll put up a Maybe that was shipped there for Laurels, That's.
Speaker 1: What I'm thinking, Like he knows her, so well.
Speaker 2: Maybe he probably gets a deal. Like if he buys it for her in bulk, maybe he gets a deal.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, it's probably not for the regular customers, it's probably just for Laurele I.
Speaker 2: Also, like I feel like, now that you say it, that scene totally just.
Speaker 3: Luke Steiner's a scam.
Speaker 2: Nothing's fresh and apple sauce.
Speaker 1: He had these giant cans of apple sauce.
Speaker 3: He did notice the apple sauce.
Speaker 1: When was the last time you ate apple sauce? Like I can't even remember, I don't know. You go to diners and order apple sauce, like maybe like with the kids, mean or something, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But also no, because couldn't you get little like containers of apple sauce for kids? And like what are you doing dumping the apple sauce like in a ca Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe he used it at a recipe or something. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there are recipes that have stuff with apple sauce. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I can't think off the top of my head, but like, I don't know why you would need that much apple sauce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turkey gravy.
Speaker 2: You know, the more I think about it, turkey gravy is pretty specific. Yeah, Like I would understand more if he if he was putting out like cans of like chicken broth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you know, but the chili.
Speaker 2: And the apple sauce pop.
Speaker 1: Chart it's not hard to make, Like, you can make chili pretty inexpensively, so why would he need to use canned chili?
Speaker 2: I was also, we've never seen anything with Okay, we're getting real deep.
Speaker 3: We've never seen anything with chili.
Speaker 2: It's like burgers and fries and eggs and toasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't they don't They mentioned chili fries at some point, maybe chili or the chili she wanted. She wanted pringles with chili on them or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe he keeps this stuff in the back for when Lorele has absurd requests, Like maybe it's like a Laurele stock room that could be you know, all the c Yeah, maybe it's just like for Laurele. I don't think it's for the like the common yeah, the commoners.
Speaker 1: Those are my observations. And then the lake we saw when they.
Speaker 3: Walked out, Oh yeah, the Jess Lake.
Speaker 1: That was the same lake. That was the Jess Lake.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so funny when when they started walking, because I've seen it on the literally, if you do the Warner Brothers tour, one of the first stops is that lake.
Speaker 3: And so in my head, I was like, oh, I know exactly.
Speaker 2: You start the tour and you head to the left and then you go through the woods, so it literally starts.
Speaker 3: The tour starts.
Speaker 2: You go to the left and it's the pas pathway where Rory gets hit by a deer and then he turned the corner and the lake is there. So the whole tour like basically starts with Gilmore girls. But it's just so funny because when he got pushed into the lake, weren't they on like a fishing trip.
Speaker 1: No, they had just left school. He met r and they walked around the corner.
Speaker 2: You're right, okay, so it was nearby, Okay, because you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: The way they edited it looks like it's right next to Stars Hollow High, which we know it's not physical.
Speaker 3: It's next to the inn.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeh man.
Speaker 2: Now I can't believe we're at the end, almost the end of season one.
Speaker 1: I know it's flying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like there's a lot of things.
Speaker 2: But then, you know what, I think I forgot all that happened in season one because if you think about it, like these these scripts are so in depth and like go into so much detail that we could have been on a normal show. We could have been like season three by now with how much story we've given.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially since now seasons are like eight or ten episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, basically, but also just you know, I know we pick a lot of like, well, what's going on with Christopher's.
Speaker 3: Parents and why didn't we know this?
Speaker 2: And it's I think we're picky like that because the show gives us so much.
Speaker 1: Yes, there is a Yeah, these scripts have a ton of content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then also like leave some to the imagination, you know, like they do give us like now we're sitting here wondering like why hasn't Emily, when has Emily come to Stars hollow, like they kind of left that to us, which is fun. And then that's when like the debates go on Instagram and everyone's like, no, remember, and I'm like, god, damn it, I can't remember everything.
Speaker 3: Oh but anyway, well.
Speaker 2: The next episode's going to be season one episode twenty PSI lo dot dot dot.
Speaker 1: Not Love. Such a great title.
Speaker 2: At first, by the way, I read this and I was like, did Jackie forget the rest of the letters and love? But no, that is the next episode and that's all we have for today.
Speaker 1: Thanks everyone, meeting adjourn, Hey everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.