Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour in this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan It's Dan Patrick Show. Spend some time with Charles Barkley. You can always listen back on the podcast. Steve Young, forty nine ers Hall of Fame quarterback, will stop by as well. Fritzi is concerned about the audience with withdrawal symptoms from the NBA Cup and I hope you'll survive. Bucks beat the Thunder ninety seven to eighty one. Football coming up later on tonight, The Falcons at bench Kirk Cousins, Michael Pennix Junior the third we'll get this start poll question for the final hour. The program is going to be watched Seaton.
Speaker 3: How are you handling your withdrawal from getting getting JK JK.
Speaker 4: Let's see.
Speaker 3: Let me get you some results real quick. Falcons decision to bench Kirk Cousins is smart or desperate?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 3: That has still fifty one to forty nine. Okay, that's interesting to me. And the most awkward quarterback situation Falcons. Brown's vikings forty one is Falcons getting running away with that one almost half of the vote just because of the news recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, if Kirk Cousins was starting this weekend against the Giants, then those results would be different.
Speaker 3: It might be too, just the amount of money wrapped up in it. Yeah, you know that was a big deal.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Jets situation's awkward because if I'm taking over the job, I don't want Aaron Rodgers because he's probably going to be in there for one year and it's become his franchise. I got to take that away from him, and I would want to be able to start fresh. And there's a lot of rumors that go on now because we have three more regular season games and everybody who's out of the playoff race, they're kind of lining up.
Speaker 4: They want to make sure in the game of.
Speaker 2: Musical chairs, there's a chair for you to sit on when it comes to getting a head coach. Mike Brabel's name, Ben Johnson's name, those are two names will be at the forefront here. Brabel, I'm surprised that he was out of a job for a year. I think he's a great coach, and he's a culture coach. He creates the culture. And this is something I talked about a couple of days ago and That is how many guys can come in and change the culture. Not I'm an offensive minded or defensive minded guy. Like I don't know if Dan Quinn changed the culture with the Commanders. I think Jayden Daniels changed the culture. I think New Ownership changed the culture. I don't think it was Dan Quinn. His coaching stuff. Now, Dan Campbell changed the culture with the Lions. That's what you're looking for. Can you get somebody in here who's going to change the culture of the Bears because it just feels like they can't get out of their own way. You need somebody who sets the example. Maybe you get the front office out of the way or ownership out of the way, and you're able to establish Like Mike Ditka did in Chicago, he created a culture. Buddy Ryan with him created a culture. Buddy Ryan with the Eagles created a culture. Jimmy Johnson and created a culture. It's not boy that guy's a defensive minded genius or an offensive minded genius. It's you get in there and you must change that feeling that you have. And there's not a lot of coaches. Jim Harbaugh is a culture changer. Did that at Michigan, did it in San Francisco. He's doing it with the Chargers as well, and Mike Brabel to me is one of those culture changers. Eight seven seven to three DP show email addres sdpadan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Tiger and Charlie Woods, Anika Sorenstamin, her Son Will and a host of other golf champions team up with their loved ones the PNC Championship Saturday and Sunday on NBC and Peacock. I love that event. It is pretty cool every year. And then they'll always do the side by side of Tiger and Charlie's swings and you're like, if you didn't know, you would say, that's Tiger.
Speaker 4: No, that's Charlie.
Speaker 2: Now, Charlie's a little smaller than Tiger, but still their swings are exact stat of the day, brought to you by Panini America operator Tighters sitting by. He'll take your phone calls as well for the final hour the program. College bowl games are underway, the Bulk of ratone Bowl, the Art of Sport LA Bowl with Gronk Norfolk State. Norfolk State hires Michael Vick as their new head coach. All right, some phone calls in here and oh, you know what, let's play in or out. Paulie, give us the topics of you're either in or out.
Speaker 5: Here's the following statement, in or out. Kirk Cousins will get the reins of one more franchise next season.
Speaker 4: Todd in Seaton, I'm in on it happening, not in on the no that it should. Okay, Marvin in in.
Speaker 5: If the Jets move on from Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers will get the reins of one more franchise next year.
Speaker 2: Todd in, Seaton out, marv out out.
Speaker 5: Wow, the trend of hiring former star football players at smaller colleges Deon Sanders, Michael Vick is just getting started.
Speaker 4: Todd in Seaton in, Marvin in, Eddie, George in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this one's a big one. The NBA's rating situation is not really fixable.
Speaker 2: Todd out, Seaton out, Marvin out. This commissioner's too smart out.
Speaker 6: I'm in.
Speaker 5: This is a ten year build up to this. I don't know how the commissioner goes to the players union says force your players to play eighty games. I don't know if that's possible to do.
Speaker 2: It's not because I don't know what you know any of these in Kawhi Leonard?
Speaker 4: Is it his k Me?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't even know anymore, And it doesn't matter to me. Not if you're part of the Clipper fan base, you're like, I hope he plays. I like in the NBA to this, Let's say you have a restaurant and it's a good restaurant. You just never know when it's open. You don't know what days that are they're open or closed, You don't know the hours that they're open.
Speaker 4: But it's a really good restaurant. That's the NBA.
Speaker 2: You got a lot of good content, interesting players. I just don't know who's playing and who's not playing. But am I going to drive there if they're going to be closed? Hey it's a Tuesday. Wait you close on a Tuesday?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 4: When did that happen?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: We just started. You don't know.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem with the NBA, Like the NFL, situation comes down to keeping your quarterbacks healthy. If you keep your quarterbacks healthy, they had over sixty different quarterbacks last year. I don't think the ratings suffered, but they want to ensure that you still have star power there as often as possible.
Speaker 4: You got that schedule.
Speaker 2: You want to make sure that those guys are going to be playing in these games.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like the a bigger problem than load management and the style of the game that's played is the number of fouls called. Okay, I feel like there's a foul every thirteen seconds, and it's impossible to get a feel and flow for the game when every little tiki tac foul is being called. Let them play a little bit. I get that there's a foul and there's not, but there's other times that it's like, who can even tell where the contact was anymore? And you're already blowing It's like a preemptive foul call, a preemptive whistle. That to me is a much bigger problem because I can look at the game and be like, oh, Dann Lebron's not playing, but the game is already happening.
Speaker 4: You get into the game.
Speaker 2: Todd, would you check? I don't know if the NBA would have these numbers, they should. Is there a the number of like how often is a foul called in the NBA? And how has that changed over the last that's say, two decades?
Speaker 6: Is there?
Speaker 2: You know, hey, back in two thousand and two, it was called, you know, once every nine seconds, and then it's once every fourteen second. So it's whatever it is. I'm going to guess they keep that data. I'd be curious about that. Yes, yeah, Paul, I have it.
Speaker 5: It's fouls called per decade, like each decade foules called per game in the NBA. In the eighties, per game, twenty four point nine files called, in the nineties, twenty two point seven, in the two thousands, twenty two, even twenty tens, twenty point three fouls called per game, and in the past four years, including this year, nineteen point six sous.
Speaker 2: All right, so word less, like I said, due to the three, well obviously going down.
Speaker 4: So I actually don't.
Speaker 5: I think Seaton's point is wrong because if you look at the amount of drives to the basket in threes, I'll bet you the well, it seems like there's fewer calls. There's so much less contact, So that means they're still calling TICKI tag stuff now when twenty years ago that wouldn't have been called. So I think Seaton is right with what he's saying.
Speaker 4: Well, they're not calling more foul, not more, but more light fouls. There's no stat for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that a light foul? Used to be there was a playoff foul. I always love that, you know the fact the Kurt Ramba is Kevin McHale play. Hey, that's just playoff basketball. It's not a flagrant. You're not throwing anybody out. That's playoff foul. I like you had that designation. You can get away with anything. Hey, you're gonna throw it. No, it's a play it's a playoff ful. Oh okay, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See maybe it is a combination of that, like come down, miss a three, go to the other way, miss a three, come down, miss a three, go back the other way, drive to the hoop.
Speaker 4: Falcoll one more in or out?
Speaker 5: Yes, Okay, in or out. I want lots of snow at college football playoff games this weekend. Home games are at Ohio State, Penn State, and Notre Dame High Snow possibilities.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Clemson game will probably not be snow less likely, Yeah, probably not. Do I want snow? Todd, you went around in Seaton, Sure, Marvin, I guess I'm out.
Speaker 4: I'm out. I like the visual.
Speaker 2: I want to make sure that you still get quality football, not some cold weather. I'm in on that, uh, Stringer in Arizona joints us Hey Stringer, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Heydnn second time long time six ' two and a semisoft two fifteen. Hey, I was watching you guys on Peacock and I saw when you were using that ball cannon and the backdrop for you shooting it, everybody is Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth. And did I have this epiphany that that looks you could recreate that with some old school uniforms with Fritzy and Marvin and that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: So Marvin would be Babe Ruth and Fritzy would be Jackie Robinson. Are you guys, Are you guys willing to play the roles of Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth Todd?
Speaker 4: Of course, Marvin, I'm in.
Speaker 2: We just got to get the old Brooklyn Dodger uniform and all of the matchups in the fieldhouse. All of that art is by an artist named rc arc Y, and I wanted matchups that never happen. You have Shack against Wilt, Caitlin Clark against Steph Curry. You have Lebron and Michael Jordan, Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth. So I thought, you Knowlawrence Taylor rushing Tom Brady as Tom Brady throws a pass and it's Dwight Clark when Dwight had the catch for the forty nine ers. So just trying to create matchups that never happened in real life. Johnny and Pittsburgh, Hi Johnny, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Dan Dannetz, Mary Christmas, Happy Holidays? Six ' four a offski, two fifty five a ski ski.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So I want to comment real quick on Michael Pennick Junior, but real quick when we were listening to Chuck talk about the Jason Kelsey's show. I don't know if he'd ever do it, but could you imagine if he was a sidekick or vice versa on the talk show Chuck and Jason Kelsey that that could be a good recipe.
Speaker 6: Just a thought there.
Speaker 8: As far as Panix, I'm was seting on the polar results. I don't understand this why it's so polarizing risk reward, Like, do you remember how criticized that pick was when they did it? No one understood it right, And it makes so much sense though, when you really think about it, I love Pennis. I mean, people forget that this now Indiana team. He was there three years. The guy's high character, huge arm. He's out as actor as Jade Daniels, but that Heisman class he came in second. Jane Daniels, Bo Nicks, Marvin Harrison Junior, stiple risk reward. I think the kid's a baller, and I think they got a good one on their hands and simple risk reward. I want seven and seven. Why not give them a go?
Speaker 4: I'm I understand it.
Speaker 2: They may luck into a great situation, Johnny, but this is still the same organization that gave ninety million dollars to Kirk Cousins. So I can, on one hand say, man, you guys are brilliant. It's like the Niners with Trey Lance. Like I can't say, man, they found rock perty yes, and you also drafted Trey Lance. You know they may luck into this in Atlanta, and I'm all in on the risk and the reward. I think the team needs some juice. I think they need something here because we keep saying the same things. Man, they got a lot of skilled position players. Okay, let's see what Michael Pennix Junior will do with those skilled position players. Steve Young will join us. What does he think of this move by the Falcons? He'll tell you next after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 4: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 10: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar be.
Speaker 9: Sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Always a treat to have Steve Young on the show. The Hall of Famer three times Super Bowl Champ. Were you ever benched? Like in getting you know, Kirk Cousins getting benched?
Speaker 4: Now? Do you know what that feeling's like?
Speaker 6: I benched? I don't know why. It doesn't really, it doesn't ring a bell, Dan. I might I might have blocked it out.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: I threw six interceptions as a tenth grader in JV and the coach said that after the game, He's like, you guys are the worst athletes in the world. And who's he? I mean, who's he really saying that too? So I was like, I think that was that was my biggest benching. I don't know if I I don't even know if I got benched after that. I should have been, uh. I th I threw five interceptions at Georgia when I my first game at by U and la Belle Edwards at halftimes like, you'll be okay, you'll be I'm like, no, I know, I'm gonna be fine. I'll be great. He goes, No, you got really now you know? Now you may me mad. Now you got you got problems. You got to fix it fast. And uh but I didn't get benched there either, So maybe I should have been benched a number of times, Dan, but somehow escaped the benching.
Speaker 4: What was your best game in high school?
Speaker 6: Best game in high school? I don't know. I mean I I used to I didn't know how to throw the ball. I didn't I just ran around. So uh we were running the wishbone and uh, I mean I I remember the triple option. You know, you make the first spake and everyone's like, pitch it and I'd keep it, you know. I was like, what do get patch it? Like I asked, But it's the second option. Well, you know, don't worry about it. But I don't know. There's some there's some games running all over the place that were fun.
Speaker 4: But but you went to a passing school.
Speaker 6: I had this crazy dream, Dan, that I was going to play in the NFL and that I and if I was going to play in the NFL, I had to go put it somewhere where I throw the football. And even though I didn't know how to throw it correctly. I remember my recruiting trip. I went to Army up to West Point for a recruiting trip and they played Pitt and my my senior year in high school, Dan Reno was the rookie, you know, the first freshman quarterback. I remember staying on the sidelines and Dan Reno threw like a thirty yard bullet out right in front of me like like that. I was like, oh, yeah, I got some distancan cover here, because that whatever that is, it's not what I'm doing right now. As a senior in high school, man, I got some. And that's why so ironic. We went into a pro football hall theme together, and I remember thinking back full circle man. From standing on the sidelines at West.
Speaker 2: Point, I think Marino like he was ahead of the curve in what he was doing.
Speaker 6: Oh Dan, remember he'd hold it right here and just show. And I spent the next four years of my life I spent throwing the football from right here.
Speaker 9: My arm hurt.
Speaker 6: I couldn't throw any street but I was gonna be Dan Marino man, and there's only one guy that could throw it like that. Uh.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts on benching Kirk Cousins for Michael Pennock junior.
Speaker 6: Well, they've been they've been a little bit unconventional since they've drafted Michael, so everyone didn't expect it. But in many ways, uh uh, you know, there's such a desire to get young, mobile quarterbacks in the end. Kirk can't get those yards that are out there in the game today. Remember when they changed the rules and they made defenders they couldn't launch their bodies anymore. They essentially made the game the field biggers like a Canadian field. Now, if you think about it that way, the field just got that much bigger in the NFL. And with that space, it's that's why all these cool plays and all this innovation, all this fun stuff. It's great. And so if you're a quarterback that can't go get those yards, especially in the big games. And I'm talking about leaving the pocket with your legs, calling plays out of the huddle like the Bills do, and you know Josh Allen walks into the end zone. How how hard is it to throw to score in the in the NFL, in the red zone, and the Bills just make it simple because he has this ability now to use his legs, to use his mobility, and if Kirk doesn't have that. Now, Michael's not the most you know, look, he's not the most mobile guy, but at least he can go get those yards. That might be what they're thinking too.
Speaker 2: Awkward quarterback situations. Vikings with Sam Darnold a good awkward. The Jets situation of what do you do do you want Rogers back? And if you're a new coach coming in the Falcons is kind of awkward. If Pennix plays well, do you do with Kirk? If he doesn't play well, it's awkward? Then I offer this one up. Let me start with this the Niners quarterbacking situation with rock Party coming Doe. Is that an awkward quarterback situation decision?
Speaker 6: Well? Uh, you know, I mean it really comes down to how you see the game today and what I just describe to you in the difference between Kirk, Cousins and and and somebody that can move around and take the take the yards. Do you if you don't have that ability to extend and to push, you know, kind of from your your athletic ability just to push defenses backwards, you're gonna need more help. That's why Jared Goff last week, remember he ray scrambled once and everyone's like, oh my gosh, it's like Josh Allen, you know, but so he can't do it. It's not his game. So he needs actually in the game today because what he's described to you, you need more room and so you need more help. And so when Josh gets it. Let me say it this way. If you have a series, a ten play series, they score a touchdown in those ten plays. If it's Jared Goff, you're gonna have ten plays where you have to call out of the huddle generally and have it work all the way down the field. So that's hard to do. It's retail football. It's hard to do. If you can do it, and you can get really good at it, but it's just it's got a degree of difficulty. Where Josh Allen on the same side of the other side of the ball, he'll have a ten play drive and he'll score, but three of the plays were off script and we're easy yards and you don't have to it doesn't have to be efficient doesn't have to be perfect, doesn't have to be timed up, and so all of a sudden, it's seventy percent of the time you got to play great football or or tactical or efficient football, and the Lions have to do one hundred percent. So you go back to brock perty He's got he's he's gonna have to he needs out of the huddle. That's his superpower call play run it and uh and then matriculate down the field and throw it into the end zone and h or run it in the end zone. So in many ways in the game, you would say, look, I need I want to make sure that I have plenty of help for brock Purty, plenty of help for Jared Goff, plenty of help for Kirk Cousins, and I need money to do that. And so that's where the maybe the awkwardness that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Would do you want to spend sixty fifty five sixty million.
Speaker 6: You're gonna spend if Look, I think that Dak Prescott the Cowboys are going to suffer for a long time because they paid him a number that now in many ways takes from the ability to build teams to go help you for the very thing that you need. And so that's the that's the dilemma, because I mean, we love everyone loves Brock and loves his game and loves his efficiency and his leadership and everything else, but we got to make sure we have the money to put the people with him to to go win it. Because if the goal is super Bowls, if the goal is winning some rank and file regular season games, maybe get to the playoffs, that's a different goal and that might mean different. But if you're talking about we want to go to the super Bowl, we need people to be there to help Brock. And if you don't, and so that it becomes just how much is there available? And is a zero sum game in some ways with a salary cap. And I think, I mean, I look at how Tom Brady thought about it, Look at how Patrick Mahomes thinks about it. Right he says, hey, look, I'm cool, you get you know, I got my money, but I wanted to have plenty of money. And how many times did Tom every year say, look, I'm gonna recon restructure my I want plenty of money to get people that can come help me win super Bowls. And so I just with that mentality. He could all get worked out. If everybody says, oh no, I want every last dollar and I have to and I have to set the market, that's going to be a complicated. There's the awkwardness that you just talked about.
Speaker 2: We'll go back to Dallas. Jerry Jones. You know, everybody lodgs him as a great businessman. He has to know what he's doing to the franchise by giving Dak Prescott those numbers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and come on, man, for thirty years, I mean he has not empowered anyone to walk in the locker room and firebody. And so without that power, the court, a coach in the NFL is neutered. And and you think about why the Cowboys never reached their potential for thirty years now, why because they not empowered. So don't tell me now that Jerry made a mistake by paying back then like like he got You could see that he waited and waited and got desperate. Right at the end. It's like, okay, let's capitulate this even starting pay them. Well, okay, but now what have we done. We've again, we've you know, over we've over corrected for something that we should have kind of held the line on and so to me holding accountability in the Cowboys system. Remember, I've always said ever there's America's team account. There's something about the team that they show up and they're famous. And I've said before you should take the stars off the helmet. And you have to win ten games to get one star, and you have to win a playoff game to get the other star. And now you're now you've earned it yourself. You're not You're not special. You're not you know and I don't. There's something really missing with the Cowboys, and it's been missing for a long time. Number One, get a coach that can walk into the locker room and fire somebody without asking. Jerry, that's got to happen yesterday.
Speaker 4: You have two MVPs regular season? Yes, okay, where are they?
Speaker 6: Do you get to go? Do you get a thing? What do you mean you get? I mean, yeah, I got it. I don't know they're around, I don't know. They're not the house my kids. I refuse to burden my kids with you know, whatever it was.
Speaker 2: Wait, you know, so if I walk in your house, I wouldn't know what you did for a living.
Speaker 6: No, no, you would not know.
Speaker 4: Wait, you should have a statue in front of your house, all.
Speaker 6: Right, I should have a you know what, everyone everyone rubs it on the way in and then uh and then uh bowls on the way out. That's how it should work. That's the way to you know.
Speaker 2: Wait, okay, do I have to Carson Palmer's heisman is in the garage?
Speaker 6: Yeah? So mine? So you asked my absolutely the MVP trophies. I'm sure one might be at bou and another one might be uh over at work or something like that. I mean, it's kind of like like there's other places in my life where you know, we can do that, but not at not the house now.
Speaker 4: But do you not want to be reminded?
Speaker 6: Oh every day? Man? I was good. Let me let me go stare at that some more. You know, all I think about is losing to the Cowboys in ninety two? So is there where is that? What do I do that? Do I put that up? Someone?
Speaker 4: Does that still hurt?
Speaker 6: I throw up in my mouth. You just made me throw up of my mouth, Thanks Dan.
Speaker 4: But you brought it up, did I really?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 4: You just did? It still hurts you to this day that you lost to the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Because you I mean you know, I sucked and it just pissed me off. It's like, yeah, move on, did I do that to myself? It's Christmas time, let's be let's be joyous.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you have two MVPs.
Speaker 6: You bring it out in me, Dan, it's your fault.
Speaker 2: Do I bring out the best in you or the worst in you?
Speaker 4: It's content.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to bring the best content out of you.
Speaker 6: Not sure. I'm not sure. You make me look at myself really hard. I don't know what it is about to look in the mirror with you.
Speaker 2: Troy Aikman had a couple of touchdown passes in the game. Yeah play, thanks, you.
Speaker 6: Know, are throwing what other details can you throw in?
Speaker 2: And then you lost to Georgia by three points when you threw five interceptions.
Speaker 6: And then when I lost to Charles Barklay who wants to be a millionaire, you know, celebrity edition, when I didn't know the the definition of crucible, Like thanks, whatever else? I lost to Erkle in the NBA three point shootout.
Speaker 4: Any other losses that you want to talk about.
Speaker 6: Dan, it was like the ball take it down here like this, Like how am I losing? Am I losing? To Rkle like, this is not possible.
Speaker 4: Damn any other losses that you want to bring up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he asked me about getting benched, and I think you've triggered something, Dan, You've triggered something. I don't know, that's it.
Speaker 4: Those are the big ones, like Tampa Bay. You never got benched?
Speaker 6: Did I get benched? And uh, well, when I didn't get benched, but when Ray Perkins took the job after my full season at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when I was two and fourteen, and I've never I have never fought and battled and with other Warriors in my life as much. Then they earned those two wins. He showed up in the off season and said, young, I hate lefties and I hate scramblers.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, uh, oh, that's the problem.
Speaker 4: That's the problem. I'm left handed and I scramble.
Speaker 6: Well that's the old. Yeah. Today in today's game, I'm the man, right this this is my game. And uh and you know, no one thinks bad of it. But lefties was a thing, you know. Bill Waltsh was the first one that said to me, bro, I think being lefty is an advantage and the fact that you can run around. If you'll learn the skill of throwing the ball in the pocket, the sophisticated part of the game, you can't be stopped like he was the first one that gave me the vision. Everyone else is like, you're lefty, man, I don't know. I don't know if I want to coach you in college. Same thing. I don't know, Lefty. You you got to play defense? You know? Being lefty was like this curse discrimination, Dan, something's a problem. How about in the NFL. Think about this. Ten percent of people human beings are left handed right ten percent? Are there ten percent representation and quarterbacks in the NFL, no one in the last thirty years name on one hand. You cannot name lefty quarterbacks. There is complete discrimination. Dan. We'll get to the bottom of it in another show.
Speaker 4: Dang, who are you today?
Speaker 6: I don't know. It's like Christmas times, like I think you said, being benched, and I just I don't know. I just brought up all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering.
Speaker 2: Like Josh Allen seems to have figured it out.
Speaker 6: No, I would go the other way. I think the Bills have figured it out because Josh for a number of years had to play that Superman role over and over and over again, because again the game is dramatically changed for offensive players to go make take the space he would go try to do it because he wasn't getting the help. And now all of a sudden, he's getting the running help. He's got offensive line help, he's got innovative play calling which is much more interesting and cool, and now he doesn't have to be Superman every play. And what's funny about it, the second you take that away, where it's not this burden that he has to kind of do it every play and do something crazy, and all of a sudden, the more we get Josh Allen that when he does do it, it's like, oh, it's just knifing. It's just you know, you complete capitulates from the defense. They just crushes them. So I would say that the Bills came to Josh. Now he's gotten better, he's gotten his sophisticated passing has gotten better, like it's all honed. But I think the Bills met Josh at who he could be, just like the Chiefs meet where Patrick is and where every team needs. That's why I say this for Lamar Jackson, meet him where he is, and I just they're trying. They're trying to change the offense and make it less of the most sophisticated running game in America and build a sophisticated passing game. I think they're trying, and at times it's amazing. But now obviously they got to do in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Let me go back to being a left handed quarterback for I let you go, did you put Jerry Rice? Like, would you, as a left handed quarterback, want your best receiver on your left side?
Speaker 6: No, it didn't matter. That doesn't matter. So here's the key is that football is right handed, so right handed that they see lefties and the coaches like, a, I don't know if that I want to coach you because I then have to flip everything and I have to teach it differently. I just that's how simpleton that people in football can be. But if you think about it, because football is sole right handed, everything gets installed right handed, every plays right handed. As a start, that linebackers now are left handed right because they're opposite right, so everything happens to their left and all of a sudden, the lefty comes out and boots left and is on the run. And now you know, like there's a moment that Bill Watson one that told me about it is like you're gonna have the flash of reflect reflex from defenses that you're gonna take advantage of. And that's why when to me when I see a lefty in the game, I'm like, that's an advantage no one else sees.
Speaker 4: I guess we did the math.
Speaker 2: Less than three percent of quarterbacks in the NFL are left handed.
Speaker 6: You got a crack staff there, Yes, now that I know. And look, that's when I found out as a Dodger. So I mean, this is awesome.
Speaker 4: Well that was Fritzy who made the mistake thought that you were.
Speaker 6: I really loved the last couple of months thinking myself as a a professional baseball player.
Speaker 4: I when we have you on her, we helping her, hurting.
Speaker 6: You, it's awesome therapy. Dan, I really appreciate you bringing me on. The kids are my kids are here wanting to walk by because they got to get going, Like what's the problem, Like there's all things going on around here. It helps. I love being a part of the Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 4: So all the girls are there, Well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Summer's right here, Hi, Summer, there you go. You're good. Go bye, You're good. She's been waiting and bugging me the whole time. Maybe that's what happened, is that I was distracted this whole time.
Speaker 4: Does she care that you're a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 7: I see.
Speaker 6: I say to people a lot of times when they say something to me nicely out on the street, like Steve, you are amazing, Well you were great, and like would you go home and maybe say that, you know that'd be.
Speaker 4: Helpful around your wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I just tell people like, you know, like I was really cool, you know, but I like I'm overplaying a little bit. But because everyone gets it, but I again, I don't, I don't want. Look, it's a big enough burden in some ways, fame is a thief, Dan, Let's be honest, and if you're not careful, fame can take stuff away from you that you don't even notice. And so I think I realized that at some point and I wasn't gonna like burden the house with it.
Speaker 4: Did you get off hold of yourself at some point?
Speaker 6: Yeah? There were moments I remember.
Speaker 4: And when is that going to end?
Speaker 6: What ended fast? I went down the look I was the super Bowl. We won the super Bowl, and of course you're going down to Disneyland because you got to go, you know, because that's it wasn't a metaphor to yell on the camera, I'm going to Disneyland. And so you're down there, you're going through and I remember going down Main Street and it was everyone's like, Steve, you're the man, You're the king, You're the greatest. And I remember the yelling back.
Speaker 4: I am the greatest.
Speaker 1: I just lost my mind. Man.
Speaker 6: I I laugh about that, laugh about it even this moment. I'm like, what what got into me? Like I wouldn't not like like me to do that, but I was like, I, yeah, you're right. But then the freaking Main Street is so short that that lasted like three minutes and turn it backstage and you know it's over. So yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 4: Keep your head up, Okay, Hey, I'm good.
Speaker 6: I think it's important Dan to recognize when you've made the vulnerability when things don't go well, and to learn that Ronnie Lott taught me, Man, competition is not worth it unless it's if it's just winning winter winters and losers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's cut off a finger, but I'm the same competition.
Speaker 6: Think about this, he said, this over and over. To me, competition is not worth it if it's just winning and losing. If you don't give me the space to lose and learn, then I don't want to do it. And so yeah, I've lost and I'm trying to learn. So the great Ronnie Lott.
Speaker 2: He lost to the Cowboys in nineteen ninety two. He's Steve Young and uh, great.
Speaker 6: To you don't need to do you need to drive it home. Now.
Speaker 4: I thought we were like that was good, Like we're learning from don't you.
Speaker 6: Don't have to ride the crap train like you can get old or something else.
Speaker 4: The crap train.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, that's cramp.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's that's bull Cramp is what you don't.
Speaker 6: Want to live. I don't look. I want to be vulnerable enough to recognize that I need to learn and you know, be better, But I don't want to live there.
Speaker 2: You want to be vulnerable enough to be vulnerable. Yeah, yeah, he's Steve Young lot. I'll check in with you. Learn, I'll check you and learn. Then well next week I'll check in with you. All right, are you are you?
Speaker 6: Are you one thousand million to zero? I mean if you you just dominated every yeah, then maybe that's why you don't get it. You're undefeated.
Speaker 4: Yeah a problem. Yeah, you know what, when I lose, I'll call.
Speaker 1: You, do me you be posted.
Speaker 4: He's uh.
Speaker 2: Steve Young once again lost in nineteen ninety two to the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Well take a break, we're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am easterns six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Full disclosure, Steve Young might be my favorite guest. Charles is up there, Reggie's up there, but Steve Young is unique. He is He's fun and self deprecating, two time MVP Hall of Famer, all of those things, and the losses are the ones that stay with you, the fact that it still bothers you. Nineteen ninety two, he lost to the Dallas Cowboys. His comments about Jerry Jones and the Cowboys are about to go viral and just let you know.
Speaker 4: Yeh see. I was just.
Speaker 3: Reading or I've been reading that book by Trevor Moad who's like he got famous with Russell Wilson sort of being like his life coach, I think. But he's worked with a lot of different teams and in the book, he said something about how the brain absorbs seven times more negative information than it does positive information, which makes a lot of sense when you think about how those losses stick with you a lot.
Speaker 4: You know, like if you strike out to.
Speaker 3: Lose the game, it's like, man, I remember that so much more vividly than I do that the good play that I had, Yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 2: Then factor in social media. If you have children, oh and seven out of ten, those things are staying with you. I was pretty fortunate with my daughters that social media kind of exploded, and I got out of that window there with them for the most part unscathed, because it's tough. You post something and even now I'm not on social media because nine out of ten times you could say, boy, that was a great interview, or you know, the show is great, it's the one person, and then that one thing stays with you. I just don't want that. You know, if we make a mistake. If I make a mistake and somebody clarifies corrects me, that's fine.
Speaker 4: I have no problem with it.
Speaker 2: But you know, when the vitriol is out there and hey, you know this show is terrible, or you should retire, and.
Speaker 4: I you know, I don't.
Speaker 2: That's not why I do it. I don't need it, don't want it. Had people say, man, you should take advantage of social media. I said, I have social media. It's called my show. I have three hours. Most people don't have something like this. They'll have a podcast. We tweet things out. We have great people behind the scenes with social media. But you know seven out of ten is seat And said, man, just back through that. In everyday life, if you have children, what they go through. Let's see this day in sports history, Paulie, what do you have for me?
Speaker 4: A couple?
Speaker 5: There's always a couple with Will Chamberlain scored seventy eight points in a game against the Lakers.
Speaker 4: Oh for raid.
Speaker 5: Wayne Gretzky scored his one hundredth point of the season before January first.
Speaker 4: He did it in thirty four games. That's silly, thirty four games.
Speaker 2: He finished the season with two hundred and five points that year, nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 4: This doesn't seem like that's correct.
Speaker 5: And that's about it.
Speaker 2: Let's see Jerry Rice in nineteen ninety five two hundred and eighty nine yards three touchdowns in a win over the Vikings. Let's see a final results of the pole question. I think we were wrapping those things up. Oh Tomorrow, Tomorrow on the program, Chris Collinsworth will join us and one of my favorite new music artists. His name is Steven Wilson Junior the Third. He has become kind of an Internet sensation and he stopped through last week as he was in Massachusetts going to New York City for a concert, and we reached out. He stopped in played a couple of songs. We'll bring that to you coming up in the final hour of the program tomorrow. I think it's he's I would be doing a disservice if I didn't let you hear this artist. He's that talented and I hope you'll enjoy that. That'll be tomorrow, Todd, What did I learn on the program today?
Speaker 5: Studies show the horder pictures truck throwing the boat actually increases their chance of hurting themselves.
Speaker 4: Who knew what we learned?
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Rapid Radio's instant Push to Talk walkie talkies offering national LTE coverage, clear connection, touch of a button, great communication device for kids. We use them on the show all the time. Go to Rapid Radios Dot com pre up to sixty percent on free shipping. Have a great day everybody. Thanks for joining us. We'll do our best. We'll try again tomorrow. Fritzie, Satan, Marv, Paula yours truly. We'll talk to you tomorrow.