Speaker 1: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with Iheartradiots in Katie.
Speaker 2: What is on your shirt?
Speaker 1: Oh, man, I have a shirt. I'm obsessed with great white sharks. If people know me, I'm obsessed with sharks. And I have this T shirt that says let them Be and it has like four different photos of you know, extremely sort of majestic looking great white sharks.
Speaker 2: Oh. By the way, when Gharmu and I send videos to each other, which we do all the time, he's usually standing underneath a great white shark that's hanging from your ceiling in your house, and you're always like, oh no.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like a yeah, it's a sort of eleven x fourteen, like like a model of a great white shark. Yeah, that we hung to my ceiling.
Speaker 2: Why do you like these animals? These convincement.
Speaker 1: I am fascinated by them, and I'm terrified of them. You know, I can barely go in the ocean because I think of sharks. But at the same time, I have this huge respect for them because they're so they're so unpredictable and they could just that's their world, the ocean, And we sort.
Speaker 2: Of they since the dinosaurs. Oh yeah, yeah, Like that's what fucking blows my mind. It's like when I'm reading Albi's fucking dinosaur books at bedtime before he goes to sleep, and they're like the Jurassic Age and this age and whatever. It's like, sixty five million years ago, sharks were their people.
Speaker 1: Sharks were motherfucking there. Yeah, there's some sharks in the oceans, like in Africa, I know in certain spots, and I think that Lupe Island in Mexico where they've spotted extremely like ridiculous, lessly large sharks. Like there's some sharks in the ocean we don't even know about that are just of massive proportions.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been to the Museum of Natural History downtown La.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, we need to move.
Speaker 2: We need to go down there because in a huge case a live one infamaldehyde, they have a a megamouth, a megamouth shark. Yeah, the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. My children screamed. I almost asked for my money back. My children can't unsee that creature. It was absolutely horrifying.
Speaker 1: Is it the full shark? Is it just a mouth.
Speaker 2: In a case, the mouth is open and it looks like I'm never say it like it just everyone google megamouth shark and it's horrifying and carcareous.
Speaker 1: That's the scientific name of a great white shark.
Speaker 2: You are adorable.
Speaker 1: I think that's gonna be my next tattoo. I'm going to get that written on my on the left side of my chest.
Speaker 2: Carcarrion Cardarius Kim Kardashian, What Kardashian you've shot in South Africa before?
Speaker 1: I have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a place where you can go in a cage and swim with great white sharks.
Speaker 1: Yes, I tried to go and production would not. I was stupid enough to mention it to one of the producers and they said, hell no, and they would not allow me to do it.
Speaker 2: Germo, I honestly think you might have had a heart attack. Like that's pretty scary, like not only because a it's absolutely horrifying, but b because you know so much about them. It's been such a huge part of your life. It's similar to you meeting Madonna on Ellen, where you like had a heart attack.
Speaker 1: I did. I did. I almost slipped and fell on my ass. I bowed down to her. I showed her my tattoo of her. I was just a bumbling mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to get into this episode. But wait, I love them. We're making I'm making a cross connection between Great White Charts and Madonna. But garyma Diez is obsessed with Madonna, I believe. I remember I realized it when you went on a talk show during Scandal and the whoever's was the host was like, I'm gonna put every single Madonna record down, and you need to put them in order of when they came out, right, And it was like watching like a mad genius scientist at work. You lined them up in under twenty seconds, like this was an eighty two, this one, eighty three, eighty four, eighty five, eighty six and a half eighty nine, and like I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, and Katie, I still have all the because they were photos like eight x ten and they gave them to me at the end of the show. I have them right here, like they're right in front of me over there, like I still have them.
Speaker 2: What show was it?
Speaker 1: It was Access Hollywood? Remember, Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Wait, tell the story when Porscha comes to work and knows that Madonna's going to be a guest on Ellen.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yes, what happened before that, Ellen had had you know, the Scandal cast, and she'd had me on by myself on the show. Yes, And so I've talked a ton about Madonna to Ellen. I showed Ellen my Madonna tattoo. She on one of the episodes that I did of the Ellen Show. Ellen gave me an Ellen tattoo and they put it on me. It was so funny that looked like the Madonna tattoo. So anyway, so Ellen knew I had I had this obsession with Madonna. So cut to Porsche being on Scandal. Now she I believe She mentioned saying, hey, Ellen is going to have Madonna on and she wants she's going to bring you on as a guest DJ when she comes on, and I was like what you know? I was like, oh my god, is this real? And then it happened. Ellen Ellen Show called me and they were like, we wouldn't want you to be the guest DJ, and Madonna is our guest and Ellen brought me but also the kicker. I got to the Ellen Show and you're in your dressing room, you know, and they they brought me in early. They brought me in like noon, and we were taping at like four, and I was like, why are they bringing me in so early? And then Ellen comes to my room, Ellen, not her producers, Ellen, and she's like, come on, come downstairs, we're gonna go watch Madonna rehearse with no one in the audience. So Ellen brought me down and sat me in the audience, me, Ellen and Ellen's mother No and she rehearsed the song twice. It was living for Love and it was crazy. I'm so grateful to Ellen.
Speaker 2: And then I remember it. I remember it. They called you up on stage when she was a guest and you got down on your knees and you held her hand like she was the motherfucking queen of England. Yeah, bow to the altar. That is Madonna.
Speaker 1: And I remember looking up at her and she had this look on her face like Yep, that's exactly right, that's what you should be doing, which made me love her even more. She was just illuminating this white light. I was like, I love you anyway.
Speaker 2: We're talking today about episode two O five, called All Roads Lead to Fits, which aired on November eighth of twenty twelve and was written by Ramaala Mohammed.
Speaker 1: H We Love Her And it was directed by Steve Robin and it.
Speaker 2: Was guest starring Tom Amandy's as Samuel Restin, Brenda Strong as Joan Reston, Audrey Wazuluski as Alison Becker.
Speaker 1: And we have Colin Douglas as Steve Dougherty, and Mina Baddie as assistant US Attorney Jane.
Speaker 2: Powell quick ass synopsis to jog y'all's memories about episode two O five and all the scandalicious deliciousness that happened during this episode. We have Hollis Doyle hosts a private meeting with Verna Thornton, Cyrus, Bean, Melli, Grant, Olivia Pope about how David Rosen is looking too much into defiance. Verna arranges for David to get his job back on one condition he stopped his obsession into Olivia popeen Citron.
Speaker 1: After Governor Samuel Resling kills a contractor who is raping his wife Joan, he contacts Olivia Pope for help. Although things are not as simple as they.
Speaker 2: Seem at the White House. Cyrus's husband James, decides to return to work as a political journalist. He causes trouble for Cyrus when he prizes for answers.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile contempts to have a normal date with Becky asking Harrison for help.
Speaker 2: That was just a nice back and forth. I fucking love this episode me too, the twists and the turns. And it's written by the incredible Ramla Mohammed, who was like a baby I think she was like a researcher on Grays or something. Wow, she was a researcher on Grays, then became a baby writer into a big dog writer on Scandal, and now she just wrote Unreasonable Doubt, which aired on Hulu and Carrie Washington directed and I think the executive produced it, and it is fucking fire.
Speaker 1: It is so good. I remember Ramala being coming on set because you know, the writers of that particular episode would come on set in case the director or the actors had questions or something needs to get rewritten. But Ramala was always such a she was just like us, you know what I mean, Like just like us. We fucking joked around with her and it was just such a good freaking time.
Speaker 2: Like sometimes there were writers that would come on that were you know, older and more senior and like they'd been on a million shows and we felt like sort of kids to them, but like Ramala felt like we did, like, yeah, she felt like such a kid, and we like who were dating and like and all that shit. Yes, Now, Also, what's different about Scandal and why the writers are so important to us and why we got to know them so well? I think on other shows and correct me if I'm wrong. Most of the time, the showrunners a lot of times are on the set. Shanna doesn't come to set. She stays in the writer's room. And what she does is every single episode, she assigns a writer to stay on set, and so our writers who would be on set with us, we would be with them for a billion hours.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for the duration of the shooting of that episode, which was what like eight days, ten.
Speaker 2: Days, eight or nine days sometimes ten when shit was long. And then Ramla was with us all seven years, so oh yeah, yeah, she feels totally like one of us.
Speaker 1: Yes, But also if someone has an issue with a line or does it want to say something or change something, that writer has to think on the fly there and be like, okay, well what about this, you know what I mean? And they have to think of something. Aren't like they're and not having that time to sort of prepare and think about what the line is gonna be.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get into this episode. There are so many things I love about this, but we need to really talk about this whole date situation. Where do you want to start.
Speaker 1: We could do the open that opening scene with with a.
Speaker 2: College calls the whole meeting and says that you have a David Rosen problem, and like these are just the group of goonies, like this whole season two of this fucking round table of the Loves, because they're all goons, Like they're all just like Hollis, Verna, Cyrus and Olivia. They're just sitting around a fucking table and literally playing America like a puppet.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I remember watching these scenes and feeling like such a voyeur, right because you couldn't believe what was being said, Like these were all the leads of the show admitting that they were in on a I mean a crime. Would you call it a crime? I mean they stole the election treason treason, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the crime of the highest degree, taking away every single person's fucking vote and say of who's the leader of the free world? Yeah, no, bueno, not.
Speaker 1: Golly, and you could get away with you know, with Mellie and Cyrus and Hollis Doyle of course. But when Olivia walks in that room, it's like, oh my god, she's part of it too.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's part of it too. And she says that she will fix the David Rosen problem, yes, which equals into that they call David in and they're like, Okay, we're going to give you your job back. You can stop being a worthless bum. And the only way you're gonna have your job back is if you drop this hole. All your Shenanigans looking into Quinn Perkins.
Speaker 1: Just stop, That's right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I wrote Susie asking out Huck, she's the cutest, writes her.
Speaker 1: Number on his head. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this is where we like Susie poorfar if there was ever an actress that just nails a fucking roll, yes, and just the two of you together being so awkward and comfortable and cute.
Speaker 1: And I noticed watching the episode she has this cadence yes to her speaking, which I love so much, and I think it also it sort of speaks to her theater background, because yes, she like creates a character. Man, she's so fucking good and oh my.
Speaker 2: God, and then we get rest In go to rest In, which is the storyline of this episode. And I really do want to have Tom on this podcast. He's a dear friend, and I think his work on this show is so stellar because he's so horrible.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, he's so good, and he's you tell us about he's part of your theater company.
Speaker 2: I am a right, Yeah, he's part of I am a theater company and I and he's a dear, dear friend and he's We've put him in a ton of IAmA plays because he's a fucking genius and he can play piano and he can play guitar, and he's an amazing actor and he's an artist and he's a great dad and he's just like such an actor. You know, he's done it his whole life and it's what he does. Oh Like cut to fun fact of this episode speaking of that he's been doing this forever, is that he and Brenda Strong, who plays Governor Restin's wife in this they starred in ever Wood together, which yes, because Tom and Mandy's like big role I feel like was he was the dad on Everwood with Sarah Drew which I never watched, has either huge following, and he lived in Utah for like six years shooting that show. But Tom is so great and the main storyline to just like remind y'all what happened in this episode is his wife. This fucking contractor's on top of his wife. She calls rape, He's got a gun, he shoots him dead, and we come to learn in so many twists and turns that she was not being raped.
Speaker 1: She's been having motherfucker's.
Speaker 2: Hair and follicles and pubes are all over the house.
Speaker 1: Right. I think the hard thing for that character must have been the fact that she was fucking this dude with a really good head of hair. Because I love Tom, but he you know, his hair is a little bit receiding. He's still a very good looking man, but he don't.
Speaker 2: Very good looking, very tall, very triangular.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, but she's fucking around behind his back with this dude that has long, like luxurious hair. That would have pissed me off more than anything anyway.
Speaker 2: Yes, And that hair is found all over the house when we're working the case. When we're working work in that case, they find hair in the bed, hair in the drain, hair in the shower because they were stripping all over the house.
Speaker 1: It was always a long hair, though I wish one of them would have been a short and curly like that. She would have found a little pube somewhere and be.
Speaker 2: Like why did they not go there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, Fitz could eat out Olivia on TV. But showing a pubic hair is too much not allowed.
Speaker 2: Standards and practices is the thing that everything has to get by on a network show, and so it's basically like the people that come in and watch something and they're like, Nope, that can't be on national broadcast. It's not allowed. So maybe a pube is no, not allowed too much? I mean in our case, when you do a sex scene, the minute there's a thrust, it's like cut not allowed, no thrusting, no simulation of sex. No no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Really Katie, Oh, I didn't realize that, but yeah, you're right. I mean yeah, although.
Speaker 2: I feel like there was a scene in Scandal, where have we seen it already where like Tony takes off his shirt, does somebody thrust and kind of thrust a little bit? Like Olivia is laying on the bed and her knees.
Speaker 1: Are up oh yeah, did he do a little thrust?
Speaker 2: And he kinda maybe when we get there. I don't think we've seen that episode yet, but I can't wait, and everyone else should get excited as well.
Speaker 1: We'll look out for that thrust. We'll be right back, guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, then oh, then we realize rest in ten tell me tell me.
Speaker 1: Sorry to interrupt you, but I was just gonna say real quick, Tom amends am I saying his name right, Amendys.
Speaker 2: I say, Amandy's, Amandy's But they don't know.
Speaker 1: For those people who are a fan of the movie Broke Down Palace with Clare Danes and Kate Beckinsale, which is one of my favorite fucking movies. Tom A Mendyes plays Kate Beckinsale's dad, what oh yeah, oh, and he has all these powerful scenes in that movie. But if you guys haven't seen Broke Down Palace, you have to see it, especially because tom A Mendy's is in it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What a gift you just gave me. That's what I'm doing tonight.
Speaker 1: You're wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got Cyrus is shocked that James is back working as a journalist, and Rosen tells Abby that they offered him his job back and that he's not taking it, and Abby's like, that's so dumb. We're looking for the rapist. Olivia comes in and says, you're having an affair. She cried rape and it's bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yo. What tell me that scene where Olivia walks in and she's like this is bullshit? And then Joan Reston is just like crying and you know, breaking down. I was like, girl, listen, not for nothing, but where was the tearstick at because those were the driest. That was the driest crying I'd ever seen. But then I thought, listen, maybe it wasn't her, Maybe this was all planned. Is she a brilliant actress? Because she's really you know, she's putting on a show where she feels terrible about it, but she also wanted to be fucking around with this guy. So maybe she didn't have tears. Maybe the character didn't have tears to get Oh you know, so I thought, brilliant actress? Or does she need a tearstick? Real bad?
Speaker 2: Was it an actress choice? Or you just dried up and intimidated to ask for the stick?
Speaker 1: Oh? Girl, you need that tiar stick?
Speaker 2: You know what makes me feel better about the tearstick because I'm not gonna lie now that it's out in public and everyone knows that I'm a hack of an actor and I use the mental.
Speaker 1: Hear shit, shut up, we all use that show.
Speaker 2: It was just listening to a podcast that Alison Janny was a guest, and Alison fucking Janny, who's won every acting award there is to win for comedy and dramas, also calls for a tearstick.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Nope, So let me just be the one to tell you that I am as talented, if not more.
Speaker 1: Than Alice Right, than Alison Janney. We put ourselves in the same league as Alison Janney, y'all.
Speaker 2: She is a fucking genius.
Speaker 1: But Brenda Strong, Brenda Strong is a is a wonderful actress. She you know, I love my horror movies. She was in a movie called Red Dragon. She plays a dinner guest where Anthony Hopkins character the cannibal, the hannibal lecter y has a dinner party but it's all body parts and nobody knows what the food is. But anyway, Brenda Strong is in that scene and she's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Lin is Red Dragon a movie connected to Hannibal Lecter.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's the prequel to Silence of the Lambs. Yeah, uh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh good lord? How do you keep this shit all straight? Horror films have so many Jason thirty seven hundred point five. Why are we doing this still? Because they make money?
Speaker 1: That? Yes? Yes? And she was also Katie. She was in the Craft. Have you ever seen the Craft?
Speaker 2: I have and I loved it. Who did she play?
Speaker 1: She plays the doctor that's taking off all the dead skin from Nev Campbell's back after the girls do that spell on themselves so they can have like nice booties and like be all cool and shit. And Nev Campbell's like it couldn't work, you know, she's had these burns on her back or whatever. And Brenda Strung plays the doctor who's peeling off all the dead skin, revealing this beautiful, like luxurious like skin back that Nev Campbell has. Now, anyway, she was now amazing.
Speaker 2: Where is Nev Campbell?
Speaker 1: Nowhere? Nep Campbell. She's doing Scream forty two, That's what she's doing. She's doing another damn scream movie. O.
Speaker 2: See, there we have it again, folks.
Speaker 1: And Katie, one more thing real quick. She was the voice of Mary Alice Young in Desperate Housewives. Oh yeah, she was the iconic voice that is the catalyst to the Yes.
Speaker 2: She was the voice of the entire thing. Wait, speaking of another fun fact, jumping ahead, but whatever, Anna Mantika Farmer at Amantika November nine, twenty twelve, tweeted, was that Shonda rhyme saying previously on Scandal?
Speaker 1: Oh shit?
Speaker 2: Yes it is now in season two? Yeah, changes and it says previously on Scandal and now I think and believe until the end of time, every single episode, whenever they're doing a recap of the previous episode, it's always Shonda's voice.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, Yes, that's funny that that gladiator caught that I know.
Speaker 2: Woh the craziest part about this episode that kills me. This is the cutest where to take a woman on a date? Huck is like, how do I make a rezie? Harrison is like, you're the greatest hacker in the world, how do you make a fucking reservation? Cute?
Speaker 1: You know what was the cutest, Katie? When you wet your fingers and pat down Huck's hair? Do you remember that that was the cutest?
Speaker 2: Was that scripted? No?
Speaker 1: It wasn't, but you were so brilliant. It was such a great, great moment you like totally spit you like lick your fingers and pat down my hair and makes a face like what the fuck? But it was the cutest.
Speaker 2: So so it's my favorite parts of Scandal. I mean, look, the show was obviously a drama, you know, there were so many twists and turns and OMG moments and things. But yeah, my favorite parts of the show were the gladiators doing familial comedy, lighthearted things like that. Like I loved shooting that scene where you were in like an outfit and Abby's coming with the ties, huh, and we're just all as a group, like helping you get ready for your date. It's so stinking adorable. Yeah, but I love this episode the most for the specificity of four thousand, three hundred and fifty nine votes. Yeah, it just becomes like so real in that the race was so close. It gives me such PTSD to like Bush Gore Florida recount after recount and like, what the fuck happened?
Speaker 1: And I don't even remember that shit, Katie, was that a big recount? Shit? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, oh my god, you can watch the movie recount, which is on HBO. This like resting thing just reminds me so much of like the Bush Gore.
Speaker 1: Also, those numbers are so specific. It reminded me a lot of five hundred twenty five thousand, six hundred minutes, five hundred twenty five thousand, moment five men. We did this a million times on the set of Scandal.
Speaker 2: But normally it would be like, I let I want to go tonight tonight. Bush won by two hundred and seventy one electoral votes and Gore had two seventy.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, so.
Speaker 2: It was a one point difference in the election. Oh, which was why it was such a shit show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Katie, I didn't even remember that.
Speaker 2: But so whenever I watched this episode, I'm like, oh my god, I think of that, and then I think about the goon table, the fucking goons who are playing fits like a puppet. Yeah, and it was such a close close call. But Restin, what we see in this episode is how it personally destroyed the man. Yes, because Joan Reston's whole monologue that she has is like her whole life changed from the minute he lost by four three hundred and fifty nine votes every single day of her life since that election, and since that loss, she hasn't been married to the same man and that's why she's fucking the contractor.
Speaker 1: Exactly, which, if you ask me, is a valid excuse. And he's fat hair, he's got long hair. Awful, awful, We're awful people.
Speaker 2: What else do you remember? Whatever? What else are the top scenes memories of this episode?
Speaker 1: One of my top scenes is that scene with Melly and Cyrus after Melly has a conversation with James, and Cyrus is like, Melly, can I talk to you for a second, And then he goes on and he has this amazing, another beautiful monologue by Jeff Perry and it was just so freaking good and dark and memorable. And what does he say.
Speaker 2: Mellie says, I'm a political animal, but Cyrus says, I am a monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, j And then he kind of walks away and comes back and he's like, hey, but let's do that dinner we talked about.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, double date, double date in the fucking residences like duhlte yes. Edison comes in. He says, I'm going to keep trying and trying, but Live is like, I'm not gonna say yes yet because I'm not ready.
Speaker 1: Can we just say real quick? Edison needs to fucking kick Rocks man, like, get to step. And I'm so over Edison. And it wasn't anything against Like the character is a good guy, he's fucking hot as fuck, yes, but he just there's no nuance there, there's no drama like there is with Fits, right, so I think everybody's just like, eh, just get the fuck out of the way, man, like, keep it moving.
Speaker 2: We don't want her to be with anyone else other than Fits, So like, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, yes, And I think and Olivia feels that way too. You feel that Olivia feels that way as well.
Speaker 2: He had such a bad Twitter. What did they call him? Oh yes, Senator pudding Pop.
Speaker 1: You know why, Katie, You know why they call him that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because of because he resembles Bill Cosby.
Speaker 2: That's why. Yes, that was why. And I can't even believe I'm bringing up on this podcast. But hey, guys, you're welcome. We talk about all the shit here. Oh see, look they even put I'm showing you my photos. There's all these side by side photos on Twitter of Noel Lewis next to Bill Cosby.
Speaker 1: My god, he looks a lot like him.
Speaker 2: We love him and he's the most talented dude ever. But for whatever reason, it's not him. It's the way they wrote the character. And also, we are living in a world where if you go against Olivia Pope, or you go against Olivia and fits Olitz, you are hated. You are hated with a capital age. I like that You're watching the episodes and you're like, get him the fuck d get him.
Speaker 1: I was like, girl, what the fuck are you doing? Man, get the fuck kick air acts, Senator Pudding Pop, I.
Speaker 2: Cannot put in pop?
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: And then Huckin' Suy Poor are on their way to a fancy date.
Speaker 1: Yes, they go to that restaurant. Which part of me watching this shit, I was like, y'all, are they really that dumb? Are hucking Becky that motherfucking dumb? She's like, what is this? Bill and Bunkers and huck is like, I like a ginger ale and also a ginger ale for her. I was like, oh Jesus.
Speaker 2: Christ, Forrest Gump.
Speaker 1: I was like, what is happening?
Speaker 2: No, but you have to play into the comedy.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, But Katie. Then there's that other episode where Huck I don't remember which one it was, where he walks up to you and you're at a bar waiting to meet with someone with Katy and Wallace, and Huck is like, she'll take a half finger pore of the drink and no alcohol in it and put your hair back and put He's like super savvy, and in this scene he's like, I like, Jing Dorel.
Speaker 2: You knew what to do at a restaurant. I don't know how to read a maize.
Speaker 1: Anyway, It's still so cute.
Speaker 2: But you know, sometimes in television and for the sake of the scene and the sake of a joke, don't look too close.
Speaker 1: Don't look too closely.
Speaker 2: Yet it's not like we're Alison Janny like whatever, we're not real actors. No, you are the realist factor. So then we figure out after Lvia Pope has done everything she can to help rest in which I feel like she's helping him and going above and beyond because she fucking rided the election and she feels really fucking bad about it that she's ruined this entire I mean, not only has she ruined the country, but in this episode again, you get the idea that she's personally ruined somebody's life and their marriage.
Speaker 1: Well and also responsible for someone's death dying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh my god, I forgot that that contractor was like a person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all that beautiful hair gone, gone forever.
Speaker 2: And possibly pubes.
Speaker 1: But will can you say pubes on the podcast?
Speaker 2: I think so love a pube. If my gray hair right now is like pubes on my head, Oh my god, that's the texture of it. You're welcome, everybody. So then she realizes that Restin did know. On his desk, she sees all these surveillance photos of his wife having sex with the contractor, and we realize that he has sort of played her and played this whole situation. Yes, yes, and I wrote Olivia got played. And she does the next twitch thing, the like little twitch thing she does where she oh god, it's so good, oh so good, And she got played, and like rest In is gonna get out fine, and Joan is going to take the fall. I mean, you know, she kind of should, but she was like, let me do this for you, let me go to jail, and she does. And then we go to Huck and Becky on the date in car, watching people and spying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Huck realizes that he you know, the restaurant, taking Becky to a fancy restaurant that's not him, so we see him now. He takes her to where he goes to watch a family. Creepy as fuck, but that's what he likes to.
Speaker 2: Do, stalking and you should be arrested and have restraining orders.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there's kids in that house, God damn it, children anyway, but he's doing it lovingly of course, because he doesn't have his family. So he goes and finds family and watches them and knows their whole backstory. And then Becky is just like, oh, she's submitting.
Speaker 2: Waitit, no, wait, does I can't remember this? Does Huck know, like, did research on these families and he knows what they really are into? Or is this like Huck builds a whole fake imagination of what they are and what they do.
Speaker 1: That's such such a good question, Katie, because I was thinking about that too, and I was going back and forth, but I sort of ended with I think I feel like it's Huck, Like he's such a good detective and hacker, and you know what I mean, everything he does that he's found out all these true backstories of and and sort of the schedules of the kids and which friends come over for play dates and when they come over and what they like to eat. I feel like he's discovered all of it and figured it all out and it's all real. That's sort of the way I looked at it. But I hear what you're saying too. It could be that he's just making it all up.
Speaker 2: No, you're right. It's the better acting choice because what's coming down the pike is really bad, and it's better if you know them as real people.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, and what you made up.
Speaker 2: In your head, I think, mm hmm. Okay, So you're watching these people and then you kiss without tongue.
Speaker 1: And also yo without time but real quick in that scene, there's like sandwiches on the dashboard? Is it bad that watching this? I was like, ooh, what type of sandwich was it? How did they leave that much sandwich without eating it?
Speaker 2: Come on, Well, they knew they were going to make out.
Speaker 1: I knew they were going to make out.
Speaker 2: Only time I don't eat that much is if I know you're going to get like if I'm making out, like for the first time. That's why the grilled cheese scene in season one always bothered me because if someone I was just fucking for the first time, I would not be eating grilled cheese simultaneously.
Speaker 1: It ate no dairy anywhere in the picture. You're with some of the first time same.
Speaker 3: Same I mean down the road, yes, yeah, someone I've been with who cares, oh yeah, but someone you're having sex with for the first time, I am not eating simultaneously and definitely not a dairy.
Speaker 1: Product Jesus, because that's just like, oh my god. I remember, Katie. We were all in New York and I was talking with Adam and he said his first date with you, that you guys spent like a whole weekend together or something like a bunch of days together.
Speaker 2: And he slept and he finally farted when.
Speaker 1: He said when he went out, when he finally left your place and was like on the corner hailing a cab, that it was non stop farting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He told me the story after we had like our first weekend together, and he said, no, literally, I would leave your apartment and it would just be.
Speaker 1: Like, oh like that, Oh my.
Speaker 4: God, because I had a studio, so It's not like you could go just farted up in the bathroom because you could hear it so like it was down a hallway or like at a different part of the house or a different floor.
Speaker 2: Like my bed was a food in one room, and my shower was growing mushrooms.
Speaker 1: Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding and not fun ones growing disgusting fungus mushrooms out of the tiles around the shower, and we didn't care. We still hooked up in there. It was disgusting. I was disgusting. I was so broke, but we all.
Speaker 1: Did that shit right, Like, you're not thinking about that stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I still drive by it. It hasn't been demolished. It's still there. It was eight hundred dollars a month, which I could afford.
Speaker 1: How much do you think that apartment is right now? Like probably like.
Speaker 2: Two thousand, Yeah, which is ridiculous. It's one room. It's disgusting.
Speaker 1: The water God was where in the city.
Speaker 2: Was it in Hollywood? It was right by that seven eleven on Melrose and Fuller.
Speaker 1: Oh, this was in La This is anything. Yeah, Yeah, Kam and.
Speaker 2: I met in La on Melrose and Puller. No, my apartment in New York City was also disgusting, but it was and it was a six floor walk up, but it was really cool. It was like a pre war building, brick walls, like, it was like a rent set. We will be back with more after the break. Oh my god. The end of this episode is such fire. It's one of those classic wrap up, you know, the last three minutes of Scandal where everything just gets like spun on its head and all this kind of shit. And Abby goes to see Dave and she knows that it's about voting machines, and we see the end. We see that Olivia is spying and listening to them, and Olivia says, this one I handle alone. And she's listening on that bobblehead.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is where Bobblehead lives. Remember that hashtag bobblehead lives.
Speaker 2: This is where Bobblehead lives was a hashtag on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did it started this episode? I think so, or maybe when it came back around.
Speaker 1: Maybe when it came back around, I don't remember, but it certainly lived for me in this episode. It's so fucking good. It's so shocking. And that Colin Douglas, the guy that plays Steve Daugherty, Yes, that he's like dish and all that dirt, and Livia is like, I got this, I'll take care of these motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: And now we see that Olivia knows that Abby's kind of backs and playing both teams, and we know that Abby and David aren't giving up, even though David's not supposed to be working the Quinn case. And there's like that little post it and we see that David was supposed to have a meeting.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Abby realizes that Huck and Olivia set up that fake meeting.
Speaker 2: With someone to tell him about it, to get him off the trail, to get him off the set. Yes, And then with David and Abby don't know is the one further step that now Olivia is has them on surveillance and is listening to every that is so fucked up. It's so shady, Like how are these two women friends? Like are you joking? How do you ever come back from that? I know, like if a friend of mine ever spied on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be like it's over, It's over, and.
Speaker 2: I'm calling the fucking police, like yeah, get out of here, Yeah, what are you kidding?
Speaker 1: But also let me look at the footage and if I look cute, then I won't be that.
Speaker 2: And also what do I sound like what I'm having?
Speaker 1: Do I sound like?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was I hot?
Speaker 2: Did you Yes? All of those things? Okay. Fun facts about the episode. Despite being named in the title All Roads Lead to Fits, Fits isn't even in this fucking episode.
Speaker 1: Right, He's not in it at all.
Speaker 2: He's not in it.
Speaker 1: Was there any episodes that you weren't in that Quinn is not in?
Speaker 2: I think there's three? Oh really three yes, because when you go back to the trail, Oh wait, no, I was in the trail. But any episodes that were major flashbacks right before Quinn was around, there are some episodes that I am not in.
Speaker 1: Wow, wasn't that always trippy when we weren't in an episode? Because there was like one or two that that Huck was not in. But I was always like, I'm not in this episode. I was always so offended at first.
Speaker 2: I'd always be like boom, and then I would be like, holy shit, I still get paid.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, and I got the week off.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Like I just was like, oh my god, Like this is the greatest gig that's ever happened. In the history of the world. Let's quickly look at some scandal tweets at the time, and then we got to look at this actual real life scandal of the time. You guys, know, what the fuck was going on at the time that this episode aired. Tweetwetweet twe tweeted at the time, tweets the.
Speaker 1: Time, tweeted the time, y'all ready to listen?
Speaker 2: Tweet tweet tweeters the tax.
Speaker 1: Tweets at the time, y'all tweets of the time, This lovely person Shanes at Lucky Shane's tweeted, is it just me? Or has scandals screwed with my head? But I really don't care if a government official is screwing around as long as the job gets done. Amen. Remember the whole Bill Clinton scandal all that bullshit, and a lot of people were like, who cares, Like at least he's getting some as as long as he's doing a good job.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been going on since the beginning of time, and most places are like famous for it. Like I feel like people specifically stay at Sandy Sidrow Ranch because it's where JMKA was sleeping with fucking Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 1: Here, I didn't know that, Katie, really, yes, I want to go stay there.
Speaker 2: There's like tons of places like that that are like this is where the president and their mistress like, oh show, it's just like Bill Clinton's happened to come about in a time where like the press found out and the press is different than it was in the.
Speaker 1: Fiftieth Yes, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Lance Conley at d Q noop not to make light of the situation, but how can the CIA director not keep a secret? Sounds like he needs Olivia Pope to step in. Wait, what's that about.
Speaker 1: That's because there was a scandal happening simultaneously while scandal was airing, during this episode, during this time where Petraeus had chosen.
Speaker 2: Who this leads us today?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: God, this is right because Okay, now we're seeing these tweets. Crystal Irbie Crystal loves Words tweeted, I know that Shonda Rhimes is watching this Petreus story thinking, yes, what would Olivia Pope do?
Speaker 1: Yes, That's why I love.
Speaker 2: When we talk about scandals that were actually real life scandals happening at the time, because we always just used to freak out that the show we were shooting sometimes like the next week we would see such similar storylines happening in the news.
Speaker 1: That shit would be happening in real life. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the scandal of the time is an extra marital affair between retired four star general and then director of the Central Intelligence Agency aka the CIA, David am I saying his last name.
Speaker 1: Right, betray us, I think.
Speaker 2: And PAULA. Broadwell became public information. The CIA director had chosen Broadwell to be his official biographer, and FBI investigation proved that they were involved in an extra marital affair, after which he resigned as director of the CIA at November ninth, twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: But also like who cares? Like why? Like what was the big deal? Right?
Speaker 2: I feel like it makes things so much worse for the family. I don't know, ah, I think it's because we don't have Maybe this is like too deep, but I feel like because our fucking country is wrapped up in so much religion.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh absolutely, you know a.
Speaker 2: Fair are like such a sinful fucking thing and not like they're not horrible and bad and they are. But I think if we aren't honest with ourselves. I remember when I was waitressing at this restaurant, in New York City. I was twenty one. It was like my first like big regular waitressing job. I was there for like three years, and there were so many finance dudes who came with their.
Speaker 1: Women mistresses, I bet right, and then they.
Speaker 2: Would take their car services home to Darien or west you know, Connecticut or Westchester or whatever. But it was my first time ever being like, oh my god, like did my dad cheat? Like this is like such a normal thing.
Speaker 1: Like I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: That all of these maybe happily married men either have understandings with their wives or they just don't talk, don't tell, or is.
Speaker 1: It on the down low. Yeah, if you're a.
Speaker 2: Public figure and you're a president or a CIA charactor or something, you are not allowed or I guess you're allowed. You just better not have anyone fucking find out.
Speaker 1: I don't know, right right right, But I'm like, he's getting the job done. That woman was retired, Like who can. But I get why the optics of it are, you know, not pleasant?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like that's what I mean. I guess, like who cares.
Speaker 1: I wonder if in Europe they're like, go ahead and fuck whoever you want to fuck. We don't care.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I bet they do.
Speaker 1: Like in the political world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they're commercials. I remember commercials and shows in London have like way more sex and tits and like whatever, or in Spain or like it just doesn't their standards and practices and rules against that stuff are far more lenient than ours are because we're like a puritan country or whatever.
Speaker 1: Totally, yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Think that goes the same as like no one in our public, no one public facing in politics, is allowed to do things like that. Although yeah, ween are just sending fucking I've.
Speaker 1: Been craving hot dogs lately. Katie's so bad, Like do you like?
Speaker 2: It's on to wrap it up? And I need to be fed.
Speaker 1: We eat to eat.
Speaker 2: The sharks need to eat. Okay, okay, we love you all and yeh. Next we're gonna be talking about episode two oh six called Spies Like Us.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was such a good episode. I can't wait. I can't wait. It's a classic classic.
Speaker 2: Guermo Diaz and fucking Huck in all of his glory.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so good, It's so good.
Speaker 2: It's so so good, So please come back listen.
Speaker 1: You will enjoy mm hm and we'll be talking some more, you know, tomfoolery and about food and sex and farts and all that fun stuff. Y'all don't want to miss it. You know, we crazy upper here.
Speaker 2: We love you. Have a great week. Unpack them toolboxes.
Speaker 1: Back them toolboxes. Y'all know y'all got some shady shit up and them toolboxes. Unpacked that shit. I love you, Katie, Love you Germo. Bye bye. Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 2: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, Alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher.
Speaker 1: Scandal is a production of ABC Signature, and you can follow along by rewatching Scandal on Hulu.
Speaker 2: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.