Speaker 1: Lots to say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: We got lots just say we got lost.
Speaker 3: Just said.
Speaker 4: What a bat?
Speaker 2: And we poked you say because we got lost, Just sa, yeah we got lost.
Speaker 5: Just say, here's Bobby.
Speaker 2: That said everybody.
Speaker 1: Tim McGrath coming up in just a little bit, major athlete timcgaw was a major athlete, one of those annoying guys.
Speaker 2: But you're like this too, You're annoying, brother man.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that that you're tall, you're good looking. You could play every sport. No basketball was never myself, but you played college baseball, you played football, You could have played basketball.
Speaker 2: You're six or four.
Speaker 1: It's like God like had had beans that could go in two jars, and he like put too many in your jar.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, dude, I got like a third over here, you know what.
Speaker 3: I could play a little pick up basketball, but I'm always the guy in the low post because I can't shoot to save my life. And I've always been jealous of those guys that come out and they could be any height in there out there on the the arc.
Speaker 1: Just don't talk about being jealous of athletes because I'm sitting next to you.
Speaker 3: This is no I'm basketball athletes. I am jealous of period.
Speaker 1: It's like you have you had all the traits to be a successful quarterback, because I don't think you can be a truly successful quarterback and be ugly.
Speaker 2: In the face.
Speaker 3: I've seen a few, very few, very few, very few like Roethlisberger.
Speaker 1: Probably not the best looking dude he's but he's above average.
Speaker 2: Though he's above average. Yeah, I'm not even saying he's ugly.
Speaker 1: But when I think of like quarterbacks that aren't like chisel, like you got the chisel, you got, the height, you got the obviously, the work ethic that's there.
Speaker 2: I'm not taking anything up.
Speaker 6: I would say that that.
Speaker 1: You can't be a premier quarterback without being good looking. Lamar is good looking, Josh Allen's good looking, Joe Burrow is good looking.
Speaker 2: Keep going, I'm good. Jimmy Garoppolo the best.
Speaker 1: But you have to have certain elements you do have to have, and I don't think you had all the we ever grow up.
Speaker 3: No, I was, but yes, I know him pretty well. We've used to work out in the off season.
Speaker 2: But I would be annoyed by him too. He's just so good looking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he's got something to him, for sure.
Speaker 2: I want to talk quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: Oh what part of them? Well, what aspects? What partial structure?
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the three quarterbacks, Lamar, Joe Burrow, and Josh Oh gosh, because here we are group and we're talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it's like a Golden age again. It is.
Speaker 3: It really is, because when you look at you know, you get through the Brady, the Breeze, the manning. That whole time period it was like, could we ever get back to this?
Speaker 6: And then you look at this crop of quarter heres that we have.
Speaker 2: It's crept up. We're here again.
Speaker 6: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: So the MVP is obviously the topic of discussion, and so I'm just going to read some stats here for a second. Lamar Jackson threw for forty one hundred yards. I believe you had the highest quarterback rating ever this year. Forty one touchdowns, four interceptions, ninety one and four and nine hundred and fifteen rush yards. That Joe Burrow has four thousand and nine hundred passing yards, So that's forty nine compared to Lamar's forty one so he does beat him in that forty three touchdowns, but.
Speaker 6: The pass I mean you have to add on with Lamar. The rushing.
Speaker 1: Oh, Laura had four rushing touchdowns, okay, where Burrow had two more passing touchdowns. But again, Burrow's not really in the conversation, but I'm going to put him in the conversation should be, which is why I put him in.
Speaker 2: Statistically speaking.
Speaker 1: Statistically speaking, Josh Allen thirty seven thirty one passing yards, so roughly four hundred yards less than Lamar, twenty eight touchdowns, six interceptions, five hundred and thirty one rushing yards, twelve rushing touchdowns. You're looking at three different If these happen in a vacuum, all three of them win the MVP.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. Like there's no question about it. When you look everybody that you just mentioned played in the MVP caliber this season, it just happens to be the year that they all did it in the same year. When you look at Lamar and what he's able to do on the football field, there's nobody quite like him. Josh Allen, He's a unicorn, I mean, for being the size that he is, the arm strength, the talent, and I think he's taken his game to the next level because every year the defenses were able to configure something that gave him a little bit of difficulty. But this year, he's making great decisions, he's seeing the field well, and then also his ability to take off and make something out of nothing. I think what separates Josh Allen this year and what everybody keeps talking about is the fact that when you look at the weapons on the outside, it's not comparable to what you're dealing with with Joe Burrow or Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 6: It's just not.
Speaker 2: Which is why is probably going to win the MVP.
Speaker 1: He's the favorite right now, right even though Lamar has had a history type season, And I'm not declaring yet who I would vote for as MVP, but I'm saying Josh Allen is also the betting favorite right now because there's a two seed. He does not have Derrick Henry, does not have the receivers that Lamar has or Joe Burrow, and he threw for thirty seven thirty twenty eight and twelve rushing touchdowns. Now you're gonna have this that people that go Lamar outperformed him in most areas except for rushing touchdowns, but Baltimore did not win as much and he had better weapons. Now is that an argument.
Speaker 3: It's an argument because you're the most valuable player based on the team that surrounds you. Because as a quarterback, you do have to have a group of skilled players around you that can make plays on a consistent basis. Obviously, these guys all elevate those guys around him. But Jamar Chase, he had a historical season.
Speaker 2: Higgins, he killed it this year.
Speaker 3: He's if Jamar I mean, Jamar Chase is number one t Higgins is one double A like he is right there next to him. He'll be paid as a number one wide receiver and be another market guy next year if he's not back with the Bengals. So he had two number one wide receivers. Then when you look at Josh Allen, there's a lot of youth on the outside and a lot of young guys that he took those guys to the next level and put them on his back. And without Josh Allen, that team's nowhere near where they are at the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Who's your vote.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna stick with Josh Allen. I just I just he performed at such a high level throughout the course of the year. They are where they are because of his play, and also without him, I don't think they might be a five hundred team.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, and I also picked Josh Allen, but I get annoyed for lamar In the people aren't going to vote for him because he's won it before and won last year, and like that should not be a part of the conversation.
Speaker 2: Should never be. He won, so he wouldn't win, he shouldn't win again.
Speaker 1: I think that's the most loser mentality, right, Like if it's like when they wouldn't give Belichick Coach of the Year because he'd won it so many times, or Angela Jolie Hottest person Alive people magaz get for like three they wouldn't give you he ever again because she'd already had it. Let's let's give people the awards they deserve, even if if they deserve it every year until someone else wins. But I do think Josh, for the reason that you stated, he just did not have the help, got them the two seed and actually made them a lot a lot better.
Speaker 2: Thought what Peyton Manny did with a lot of those guys.
Speaker 6: Right, some of those games. I mean, all these guys take over games.
Speaker 3: I think Lamar and Josh the separator for them is their ability to take off and run the football and make plays when nothing else is there. And that's the most frustrating thing for any defense is when you're sitting there, you've got the perfect coverage called You've got it all taken care of. In any other ordinary quarterback or quarterback in the NFL, they it's shut down right the ball you'd see their sack. You got to throw the ball away, do something like that where all of a sudden they scramble out, they make a play, they go take off for thirty thirty yards and just break a defensive spirit. And that's the special unique qualities that those two guys possess. And Joe Burrow, don't get me wrong, not taking anything away from he's just not the same athlete, but he does it in a different way.
Speaker 2: I mean, through for almost five thousand yards.
Speaker 6: It's absurd.
Speaker 2: He had no defense, no defense they had.
Speaker 1: They had no defense, like they had to outscore everybody he had. His margin of error was so small because if he had a mid game, they for sure were going to lose right.
Speaker 3: I mean they lost one game with a botch snap on a field goal for a game win a field goal. The New England game was the only game in which he really struggled where the offense didn't get it going. Other than that, you go back even the Kansas City Chiefs game early in the season, they throw up a prayer at the end of the game, the guy makes a contact sets up the long field goal at the end of the game.
Speaker 6: They lose that game. So they lost. What were they early to start the season, they had won.
Speaker 1: In four I think they won four and then it just got worse because they were like, well, you can't lose anymore. Yeah, They're like, well, really, I can't lose anymore if any of those guys have that season independent of the other two guys. They're all three the MVP, and we're like, this is one of the greatest seasons in quarterback history, but all three are at the same time. It is the Golden Age. It's the redeemed team of quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: There's a video from like two years ago. Tim mcgrawl myself, we were in Vegas. It was a professional setting. I know, I'm lucky enough to know Tim faith pretty well.
Speaker 2: He's awesome.
Speaker 6: I've heard nothing amazing things about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I didn't know him in his wild timocraw days only. I only know him when in his I'm going to be an adult and be really cool person days. Because some people like he used to go hard, like from what I hear, I actually kind of want to see that side of it. Well, I don't have the story. You don't want to bring it up.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, you don't want him to go back into that dark place or maybe.
Speaker 1: Like him, but she has any punching horses and stuff like, I don't know that version. And people are like, oh, you know, Mara, I know, super cool, super nice, extremely generous with this time timmogral and it's it's really cool that I know.
Speaker 2: So he came on, but he was a crazy athlete.
Speaker 1: But the story is we were in Vegas together and we're hanging out a little before we're doing It's a professional and we're about to go it's a TV hit and I'm with Tim and I don't know one minute before or camera goes dude, and it's on video you see him take his fingers and put him into my nose and rip a nose hair out because it was a little longer than it should have been.
Speaker 2: Like, that's the kind of dude he is.
Speaker 3: You can tell he's a meticulous dude when it comes to just prep and making sure he looks right.
Speaker 2: And making sure his boy look good too. He went, thank god, he got that hair thumb and forefinger right into my nose hole.
Speaker 1: Didn't ask, didn't need to Tim McGraw's permission to go into any hole of mine with any fingers amount of fingers. He wants wide open so much he went in I have in the videos hilarious and he goes boom, rips it out and I go and they're like and go.
Speaker 2: Then we're on.
Speaker 1: And that is my relationship with Tim McGrath and crazy athlete. We're gonna talk about that here. He is now country superstar Tim McGrath. Hey, Tim, I didn't want to give all the details to Matt because I wanted you to do it because when you do it, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Will you tell Matt, let's start with your basketball career.
Speaker 1: Would you mind throwing some stats at Matt about your basketball career in high school?
Speaker 5: Well, I know one particular stat you're talking about. I was a pretty good baller in high school, I think my senior year. And you know, you guys are a lot younger than me, so we didn't have three pointers when I was playing high school basketball. So so my senior year I think I have it was well, I know, I averaged twenty eight points a game.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight point yeah, i'd say classifies as baller status.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, yeah for a little guy. I mean I'm under six foot. Well, right, you are six foot on your program five or eleven, you know, regular. But but uh yeah, and I had I have one particularly good game where I scored fifty fours that.
Speaker 6: Was that's great.
Speaker 5: Did you ever think it wouldn't have It wouldn't have done any good for us to have three pointers anyway, because I couldn't shoot from the outside to save my ass, so.
Speaker 1: We never practiced it though, right, it's not you say that, but I imagine if there would have been a three point line. And like you do everything else, you are a perfectionist in many ways, and I'm sure you drive yourself crazy being such a perfectionist. Don't you know you'd have been in the gym for gym ratting it behind that three point to him, I.
Speaker 5: Would have, but I don't know that it would have done me much good, because anything out of fifteen feet I've had very good. I'd like to slash and drive.
Speaker 3: So you scored fifty four points with no three pointers and all within the fifteen feet of hitting the basket. That's that's incredible.
Speaker 5: Actually, you know, I might have stuck a twenty five footer in there every now, but most of the time we're slashing and driving. Yeah, you know, it's just one of those games, you know what I'm talking about, Matt when you just and you played ball too, Bobby, It's just, you know, one of those games where you sort of just sort of out of your body. And I had the flu that game as well, and I thought I did poorly. I saw the score.
Speaker 2: Being from Louisiana.
Speaker 1: Was there this Pete Maravich dream and you wanted to mimic that a bit?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean I grew up loving Pete Pistol Pete, you know, and in fact, that was sort of my nickname at basketball camp, and when I went to basketball camp a couple of years at Northeast Louisiana University which is now University of Louisiana Monroe, and that's where I ended up going to college. But I went to basketball camp there, and that was sort of my nickname was Pistol Peak. Not that I was playing as good as Pistol p because there were a lot better players than I was at that camp, just because I had the same sort of bowl haircut.
Speaker 6: Now, did you get recruited for anybody for basketball?
Speaker 5: I did? I had. I had five or six good offers. I had offers in all three sports, five or sist scients in basketball. But like I said, when I graduated high school, I was probably five ten barely and one hundred and forty pounds, so there wasn't much much use for me except for probably meat on the practice squad.
Speaker 1: Okay, give us your other high school career highlights. You said three different sports. I'm assuming baseball, football, basketball, because i' from the South.
Speaker 2: There's really only three we had. It wasn't like we had lacrosse.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was the first one to break through in volleyball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, give us your give us a basketball, baseball highlight, and a football highlight.
Speaker 5: Let's see football highlight. Well, my second game in high school, I got concussed. On the first play. I was wide receiver and I was playing in a tight formation and gat blocked on the defensive tackle. Running back came through the hole and hit me in the head with his shoulder, So I was concussed for the rest of the game. But I got two interceptions and had three touchdown receptions, so I don't remember any other He.
Speaker 6: Had fifty four points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he gets a concussion and he just balls out of his mind.
Speaker 2: Two interceptions. Unreal baseball.
Speaker 5: H my last time at bat in high school baseball, hit a home run, very last time. That's sort of my walk off baseball career right there.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: I mean, is there anything better than the close out a career?
Speaker 5: Now, you're now going to get calls from all my high school buddy say, you know, he's exaggerating. You know, that was twenty four points when he was twenty two. Now that he's now the fifty seven, it's fifty four points. So you know it, girls exponentially.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: You get get a little bit more every every single time that you get a little bit older.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and luckily there's no Internet back then.
Speaker 2: So that's true. But then if there were you could have been recruited.
Speaker 1: You've been a four star for sure, like all three even at h and just an athlete.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't know what to do with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, luckily I grew a couple of inches around twenty years old. But here's what I always say, because baseball was probably my best avenue because of my size. But I always say that had I grown a couple extra inches in high school, it would have been a big curse for me because my problem. You would have been stuck in double A ball for about ten years and then ended up not having anything to do with my life except for say I played double A ball. That lifestyle, Yeah, it was the lass thing that I didn't grow till later.
Speaker 1: I would say the minor league ball lifestyle and the musician lifestyle, though like, are very similar because it's really hard to make it to the pros. It's really hard to actually have a little extra money just period doing something creative like being an artist. I would say both of those are professions I would never want my kids to do. They just demanded they had to do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's just just something that you just can't talk about for sure. I mean, and look, you know, in this as you know, in this business, that's a very good comparison of playing minor league ball and then hoping to make it to the majors one day, because that's what we were doing. We were playing clubs back in the day, when we were in a van pulling a U haul all over the country and playing in all these five hundred and six hundred seat clubs, and you know, just hoping to have a chance to play a bigger club is all we were hoping back then. And then certainly it was a pipe dreamer even get a record deal and to have something happen after that. So, knock on wood, it worked out. I'm glad I picked this profession as opposed to to trying my hand at minor league baseball.
Speaker 3: Now, in terms of just where your influences came from music and when did you start playing music and the passion that you have for it, because obviously we're listening to everything that you accomplished from a sports standpoint, but when did music come to the forefront for you?
Speaker 5: Well, I was always loved music. I mean even as a little kid, I knew every song on the radio. My mom really loved music and my mom played music all the time, and she would sing with every song on the radio, and we would sing together as we were driving around. I remember, like three or four years old, singing every song on the radio along with her. So I always loved music, and you know, I was in a couple of plays in high school and sang and singing church a lot. And then when I got into college, you know, then I got into sports off through high school, and then I got into college, and I actually my freshman summer of college, I went to a pawn shop and pawned my high school ring and bought a guitar, and then I taught myself to play guitar over the summer and ended up with about fifty songs and started playing at a catfish house for tips with just me and the guitar. And that was and after that, it was just there was no going back. That's all I wanted to do from that point forward.
Speaker 2: Did you get the ring back? We got to know that. Did you ever go back and read buy the ring?
Speaker 5: My grandfather went back and got the ring for me. Yeah, so I did get it back.
Speaker 6: That's unreal because I only.
Speaker 5: Got twenty five bucks for it. What they give you for it, a ukulele, a guitar that was about twenty five bucks. Work was about work ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I just can't believe that he taught himself how to play the guitar on his own, because you know, with all the apps nowadays that can kind of teach you how to play the guitar. I have one, and I still can only riff about three different songs.
Speaker 2: That's about all I can do.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's a disconnect between my brain and my left hand, but it's just not working for me right now.
Speaker 5: Well you haven't. You obviously haven't heard me playing guitar because I'm not that great. I learned just enough to write songs and know that the chicks don't it.
Speaker 4: What was what was it about you or what was it that you wrote or what song was it that made somebody pay attention to you going we can actually make some money with him.
Speaker 1: It could have been like you're touring your a fan base, a song you wrote, you singing, like, what was the first thing that you did that actually made someone go, we think we want to put some money behind this guy.
Speaker 5: I think it was probably us playing live because we played down at Printer's Alley all the time. When I first moved to Nashville a place called Skull's Rainbow Room, and it's still there, but it's a whole different vibe than it used to be. So I was part of the house band there with a guy named Jimmy Snyder, and so I was played in there every night, and a couple of guys came in to see me. And I think it was more just the way we performed live, not so much as great singing or great songs or anything like that. I think it was just our energy that we had live. And I had scraped up enough money and I had enough musician friends that I did this showcase at a place called Diamond in the Rough that used to be down on Broadway years ago, and I think I had like a ten piece band. All of my friends were playing, and I invited everybody in town. And Byron Gallimore called me back to come visit with him, and he became my producer and still is my producer. And he took me to Curb Records, he and James Stroud, and that's how I got my record.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable because I've actually been to one of your concerts. I was in Kansas City and I remember I was down in the facility one day and it's before the day of the concert, and I walked down I think it might have been a Saturday or something like that, and you're in the weight room getting after it, I mean, and so I walk in. I just see this guy and he's ripped up. He's got his cutoff shirt. I think you were wearing a bandana on your head. And I asked, I asked my strength conditioning coach. I said, hey, coach, who is that. He's like, dude, that's Tim McGraw. He's getting after it. I was like, I can see that. I mean, is that something that you do on tour? Is that something that just because I know obviously you're always in shape every time I've ever seen you, But is it something you go around and anytime you can get a workout in you do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's part of the routine every day, and most of the band guts too. It's just part of our everyday routine and it's been that way for gosh fifteen years now. We don't feel the same if we don't get a workout in during the day, and we have a gym that travels with us and it looks like a prison yard, have ropes and chains and tire and everything outside the bus. And so we get in two or three workouts a day when we're on the road.
Speaker 6: All right, let's get it. Let's get this.
Speaker 5: It keeps us out of trouble. Put it for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels time, all right, and you're on the road, there's a lot of freaking time. Okay, we're gonna get personal here and see how you feel about this last season. LSU Brian Kelly. I know a lot of people have a lot of stuff to say, Tim, What do you got to say?
Speaker 5: I don't know, man, Look, that's just such a tough gig anymore to coach college players, I think with all the new money coming in and these guys don't on a list, don't. I don't want to put anybody down. I'm not trying to say that college players don't listen because I don't know them that well. But I can imagine trying to be a college coach where you used to have a complete control and everybody doing exactly what you say and when you say to do it how you say to do it, and then you got these guys now that are not that I'm against them being able to eat and make It's not that I'm in four or against any of that stuff. It just seems like it makes the job of coaching tougher in that environment, because it's tough enough NFL when you're dealing with grown men with careers and making business decisions every day about their career and how long they're going to be around and the things they're going to do, and what's good for them, what's good for the body, what's good for the team, that calculust and that alchemy that all comes into effect. I just think that it makes it really tough to coach college college football these days, and it takes a really strong personality to go in there and do that. Brian Kelly's a great coach now, who knows if his style is going to work with a team like LSU or not.
Speaker 2: It is wild.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want to be a coach right now in college football with the NIL the transfer portal, you're you have to recruit people you go into and I I mean in the transfer portal to recruit more guys that come in. But in addition to that, you got to recruit your own players. Every single year, these guys come in and say, hey, coach, look, if you want me for the ball game, I'm gonna I'm gonna need another.
Speaker 6: Two hundred grand. You know, like that's that's the nature of the beast now, right.
Speaker 5: And then how do you do that as a coach, And how do you how do you do that as a coach, and how do you do as as an organization and a coaching organization and still be able to let lay your game plan down, put these guys in a position to win, put these guys in the right mindset to win, make these guys play as a team. It's just tough all the way around. And look, it's people are going to evolve with it. Coaches are going to evolve with it. The coaches are going to learn how to do it in a different way. I'm sure. But there is a curve that's going on right now.
Speaker 1: I don't want to reveal the great Mighty eyes. So if this is the secret that you don't feel like sharing, I'll start. If I'm doing a stand up show to theater or even in my television contracts, if Arkansas is playing football and I am working, or if it's a night game, I'll have a small screen on a monitor I will have because I can't watch a game recorded doesn't exist. A recorded game I cannot go to afterward because I can't it's on my phone everywhere. So I will have a monitor at all times so I can watch the game. If there is a big LSU game, tim and you are on stage, how are you getting information fed to you.
Speaker 5: Through my ears? Through my inner monitors? My guy helped heath on the side, always telling me to score, and he also used to do that when my kids were in high school and one of my daughters was a cheerleader, so we went to all the high school games and we were really invested in Amsworth High School football, so we tailgated and all stuff. So when I was when I happened to be on stage and there was a game going on, I was getting fed scores right in the middle of songs. So if I dropped the word because I'm happy about the score.
Speaker 2: Do you have an NFL team as well?
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously your ties to Nashville, maybe the Titans, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, who's who's your nff T.
Speaker 5: I root for the Titans, of course, because of being in Nashville and I and I root for the Eagles because I have two brothers that live in Philly and my of course, my dad played ball in Philly and spent a lot of time there, and I grew up in Louisiana, so I'm still a Saints fan at heart as well.
Speaker 1: I'm going to throw them out into the bush just a little bit, But I don't know if he's going to say anything about it since you're here.
Speaker 2: But he was before you came on.
Speaker 1: I was actually telling him, like, Tim's like a normal dude, like love hanging around Tim Love, hang around his wife, Like they're like as normal people as he can be. And he was like, he's such a good app oh yeah, and he brings it upbout it, So I'm gonna let him take it from here.
Speaker 2: But he was saying that, and I just wanted to say it to your face. I mean, I'm not gonna lie. I love your music.
Speaker 3: But then when I watched eighteen eighty three and I saw you out on that screen, and you've done a number of different things I've been impressed with, but you're as good of actor as you are a performer and singer. I mean, it's incredible, But did you Is it something that just came naturally for you? Because I think that that would be difficult. But that role, it was such an intense role. You had such a pivotal role in just the overall show. It was incredible.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you man. It was a lot of fun to do that. You know, I grew up riding horses and being in that world, so for me, it was playground all day every day. Just being able to go out and do the stunts and ride wide open and wrote things. It was. It was a lot of fun. And in faith learned how to drive those wagons really really good. I mean she's actually driving the wagons through the rivers and those were old, original wagons. There was nothing modern about them. So she really did a good job learning that. As far as the actings, you know, it's one of those things that if you're in the entertainment business in general and being a musician and you have some success, those things start coming to you. You start getting chances to do that. And early in my career when I had some success, I was getting some opportunities to do some acting, but I wasn't ready for it to do. What I didn't want to do is, you know, have my career going really well and then go try something new and really suck at it and then ruin my other career because that's the last I mean, because then it takes away everything cool that you have going on if you go and be really uncool and suck at something else. And so I wasn't going to do it for a long time. And then somebody skipped sent me the script for Friday Night Lights and I read the script and instantly it registered to me. With all the athletics that I grew up with and all the sports I grew up doing, and all the dads that I saw around, I knew that guy. I seen that guy, or or a conglomeration of that guy at every ball game I was ever at, and it just struck me instantly. So I know that guy. I can play that guy. And I went an audition and got the role for it. Well I'm glad I did, because that turned out to be an incredible experience in a great movie.
Speaker 1: How'd you go about watching yourself back? And then what about like you watch it as like game tape? And I could do this better, I could do that better.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, I don't like to watch myself back at all on special movies because all I see is me trying to play somebody else. But that's because I know me so well and I know what I'm doing stuff that nobody else will notice. But I noticed that I'm doing it, so I try to I don't watch it, like, for instance, a movie called Four Christmases I've never seen, never, never see it for a couple of reasons. For the main reason, I think I was two hundred and fifteen pounds when we shot that movie, and my kids were little, and we went to the theater to watch some Christmas movies and me not thinking at all anything about the four Christmas movie that I'd shot, And sure enough, the first trailer that popped up on the screen was the four Christmas Movie. In my face, my face looked like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloon, and my daughter looked at me, says, geez, Dad, you gotta do something. And from that point, that's when I started getting in shape. You were talking about getting out of shape and getting a gym and hustling every day before a show. That's when it started as well. My daughter saw my face on the screen for four Christmases and said that to me.
Speaker 3: You should have just said, hey, look the camera adds fifteen pounds. I'm good. I don't have to kill myself every day. I'm just it adds a little weight. Okay, back off.
Speaker 5: If my kids weren't so smart, I would have said that, Well.
Speaker 1: We love you, buddy, thank you for coming on and being on with us. And can't say enough great things about you behind your back, so all this stuff in front of your back, you know it's real too. So Tim, good to see you, and hopefully I'll see you around soon.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad you and Matt and me because Matt's.
Speaker 6: A big fan too. Yeah, Tim, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: All right, see pleasure to me you Bobby will see it done a row bro.
Speaker 2: Ahl right, buddy, see you later, but I'll take care.
Speaker 1: I think what's weird about the iPhone is that I texted you and you text me back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you have the update, but like all the little thumbs up and heart and stuff like, it's all colored.
Speaker 2: They changed it and the heart's a little pink, so you would send me very pink.
Speaker 1: You'd send me a message and I heard it because there's certain things you thumbs up and you like, and there's some things like, oh like I appreciate that, which is more than the thumbs up, and I gave you that. I appreciate that. But the heart was a little pink to feel. It felt like I told you I loved you. I'm gonna be honest, it was a little pink.
Speaker 3: There was something sentimental when you feel like when you send it, you was.
Speaker 6: Like, do I send the heart now?
Speaker 2: I don't like the color edition.
Speaker 3: It's extremely pink, and you're just like, I STI don't know if that's going to go on.
Speaker 6: I just continue the thumbs up.
Speaker 1: Well, and our relationship is still new, like we just like we just started dating. You know, you don't you don't just throw the O word around with that. And so I just want you to know my pink heart was just like, hey, I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna pink heart you say I love you so much?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: You know what's cool about the phone now?
Speaker 1: And the update is that you can send texts timed meaning oh really, Well, so my problem is I wake up at three thirty four in the morning every day, right and so, and that's.
Speaker 2: Brutal and I hate it.
Speaker 1: But if people text me at like ten thirty at night, I'm not awake. True, So when I wake up and I see it, I can't text them back at three thirty because they're asleep and I don't want to risk waking them up. Even you should even I hear you, and everybody should have do not disturb on. Yeah, but I can't control everybody. If I could, this world will be awesome. However, you can now write a text and do the and say send at nine am. Really, yes, that is revolutionary. I'll take the pink heart for to send the text at the time.
Speaker 3: It's it's fascinating, like the technology nowadays and all the different little elements that they come up with. And I need to go through like the programming and figure out how to do all that stuff because I'm not technologically savvy.
Speaker 1: I also see my stuff on TikTok and then I learn it. Are you even on TikTok?
Speaker 6: No, I'm not. I gotta get you there, get me there. I'll do some dances.
Speaker 1: No, it's that's what everybody love is not dance see TikTok has for me. It's not my TikTok world is mostly nineties wrestling. Oh it's so good, and that's that's what it feeds me. Obviously, sports, a little bit of music, and then every once in a while like a funny hawk to which she's like saying that funny.
Speaker 2: But mostly it's like like nineties wrestling.
Speaker 3: But okay, I've got now I'm raising daughters in that world, and every time I turn around with their friends and stuff, and they're they're trying to do a dance and I'm like, what are you guys doing? And they're like, so and so has TikTok because I won't let my kids have TikTok, but they're doing a TikTok dance, so I always associate it with that.
Speaker 6: In the adolescence of it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm all against adolescence in general. So that's not why I'm there. I want everybody to know what you no. I'm taking for me don't need to be there. Final question before I wrap this segment. Did you hate quarterback sneaks?
Speaker 6: I feel you know what.
Speaker 3: I hated quarterback sneaks when it was third and one, fourth and one and everybody knows you're going to quarterback sneak because you have to change your feet, right, you change your feet, you kind of brace yourself for contact and you push and the linebackers always came and just tried to decapitate you.
Speaker 1: Now, And that would be the question, like did you hate them when they knew it was coming, Like.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You would sometimes have these third and two plays or something like that, and you'd come up or even second second and one where you're getting down there and we always had the ability where we call dog dog and it would be on this next sound right, and they would say, you've got two open a gaps. I'm gonna take you. I can get one or two yards, get the first down, stin drive whatever. But when you get down there and you know it's third and one and they know it's third and one, and you're like that's something that you do. You're like, oh god, all right, let's just suck this one up and and you snap it and you just get slaughtered. And some of them hurt, some of them are more of a glancing bub but you know you're gonna get hit, and then you can't complain because you're running back back there gets twenty five. If you're twenty five, carries a game and he gets demolished and keeps getting back up, coming to the huddles to go for that though.
Speaker 6: I know that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Belichick always used to say when I would take off and run, especially when I was younger, and he'd be like, Castle, look, do you think we want you running the football?
Speaker 6: No, we don't want you.
Speaker 3: We pay this guy your running backs, and you start naming off all the running backs we pay them to run the football. Don't run the football, Throw the thing away and live for the next day.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, would you ever get a backup or third string center? And you're like, this is not going to be my day.
Speaker 6: It's my worst nightmare.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't even just the quarterbacks neat because those are pretty aggressive for him too, because he knows there's a nose guard usually over his face where he knows that the snap's got to be clean, and so he's it's got it's a difficult job. But when you had a backup center in the game that you haven't got a lot of reps with, there's nothing more embarrassing for a quarterback than to fumble a snap, and we still see it.
Speaker 6: It's the most elementary part of the game. Right. You do it when you're a young kid.
Speaker 3: You take the snap from from center, but when all of a sudden you're a little bit off with your hand placement and you haven't got a lot of reps. Oh my gosh. That And then add on rain. One game, Ryan Lilja or guard had to get moved to center and it was raining against San Diego. We fumbled the first two snaps. It was I was like, please Lord, so please help me.
Speaker 1: There is something to having repetition with the center, like every snap, or is every center, because I've also had a deep long snapper, right, But every center is different.
Speaker 6: Every center is a little bit different.
Speaker 3: They have a different feel the way the ball comes up, the velocity in which it hits your hands. And if sometimes when you get a center that maybe is not on task as much. They you know, you're down here with this with your hands like this, they shoot your hands and then it'll go right through your because it won't hit it won't hit your palm up top, which that's really the aiming point. But then also the just the length of their arm changes where they hit on their butt.
Speaker 2: Right, So some centers you want to get way underneath.
Speaker 3: Other centers you can go further back because they got longer arms, and that's just where they like to naturally hit you. So that's what I'm talking about. It is just these subtle changes that make all the difference.
Speaker 1: That's why I wouldn't be an offensive line coach. I'd be an offensive coordinator because I didn't know that. See that, I'll admit I don't know the link of the arms center. Yeah, makes a difference.
Speaker 3: And there's nothing worse than when they forget that we're doing a double cadence and they snap the ball when you're not ready for it, and it jams your middle finger and you feel like you broke all the fingers in your hand. That's awesome too, And then you gotta jump on it and go.
Speaker 2: Coach.
Speaker 6: That was my fault, Coach, that was my fault.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would not, I would quit my offensive coordinator duties.
Speaker 6: No, you definitely just m fs the entire time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm already there, already already from home, and I'm like, wow, why are you so stupid out there? I literally never played a down of professional football so this is gonna be called confirmer deny. I'm an uneducated with massive opinion person.
Speaker 2: Okay, confirmer deny, got it. You are a wildly.
Speaker 1: Educated when it comes to NFL, and you can confirm my opinion or you can deny my opinion.
Speaker 6: I think this is going to be really interesting and.
Speaker 2: My feelings will always be hurt.
Speaker 6: All right, here we go.
Speaker 1: Number one, Will Evis is a bad quarterback. Confirmer deny. It came strong with that right off the bat. I will confirm that. Now. That doesn't mean that I can't explain myself, right.
Speaker 2: I hope you do, because I have thoughts too, and I'm sure they're wrong.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, though, Well, some of it has to do with right now, the situation of the offensive unit, offensive line struggles, the weapons that they have on the outside. I know they went out and got Ridley, but he doesn't have a number two or a number three guy that he really can depend on. And part of this also is him growing up in the NFL with a bad team, and it's tough.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of stress with that.
Speaker 3: In addition to that, you have to play damn near perfect because your defense is given up a lot of points. You have to score consistently because you're probably playing from behind, and then when you're not protected, the sense of urgency for a quarterback goes off right, and so you're getting rid of the ball when you shouldn't, or you're trying to make a play you shouldn't. Like you saw early in the season with the lateral the bad interceptions, you know where you're forcing things that otherwise you wouldn't do as a quarterback. So but if you're going to look at it statistically, turnover issues all that, I would have to confirm that.
Speaker 1: So then you would say, so I say Will Loves is the bad quarterback, but you would say Will Loves is a bad quarterback dot dot dot. But his potential is blank.
Speaker 6: His potential is blank.
Speaker 3: I believe that his potential is that he can become a solid quarterback in the NFL. And the reason I say that is you'll see him make the wild throw and there'll be sequences throughout the course of a game where you'll have nine completions in a row and then he'll make the big mistake. And the biggest thing for any quarterback is you just can't put your team in a bad situation, and by that, I mean turnover the ball, give him a short field. Even when you go back early in the season against Chicago, Chicago had like just over one hundred yards in that game offensively, and the Tennessee Titans lost that game, and part of it was because of his turnovers. And so he's got to learn. And I think that that's what the Tennessee Titans are doing right now. They've got to find out if he's the guy for the future, if they see development, and I believe he has gotten better throughout the course of the year, but they have to make a decision too moving forward. Is this the guy because we're going to have to build around him this offseason, and do we believe he's the guy or do we have to go out and look for somebody else.
Speaker 2: Do you think he will be with the Titans next year. I do.
Speaker 3: I still think he's on a rookie contract that's favorable to them. So even if they go out and get a veteran's veteran presence, bring them in to compete for the job and be a guy that maybe sits there and learns behind a veteran, they have the ability to do that because his contract's not so obs out there and huge.
Speaker 2: Look at me positive and educated. You know two things we like. You know I'm uneducated. No, No, I mean because.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of times we pigeonhole these quarterbacks when they're not having really good years or they're having a down year.
Speaker 6: But you have to look at it holistically.
Speaker 3: You can't take this micro approach and say, oh, well, he's the reason why, because the quarterback is going to get most of the credit when things go well. They're going to get a lot of credit when things go bad. And it's it doesn't always tell the story because there's so many different factors to not only being a good team but also being a good quarterback. You have to have the surrounding pieces because no, I don't care who you are. If you put Patrick Mahomes on a really, really bad team, you'll see him struggle At times.
Speaker 1: I will say Will Levis looks better than any football player in their uniform in the NFL period.
Speaker 2: He's ripped, he is, Oh, he looks the best. The dude's jacked.
Speaker 1: I saw him this Saturday. We were in the same place. He's getting some treatment done. I've been a little I love something and he was getting some stuff done and I saw him and I think he's been garbage as a quarterback. I'm not saying he will always be garbage, but he's been garbage. It's been my uneducated opinion. And but I've said it a few times and I thought, well, Will Loves comes up to me and says, hey, you been saying I'm garbage?
Speaker 2: What I would say?
Speaker 3: I want to be prepared the most awkward situation when somebody calls you out.
Speaker 1: So I, no, I don't want to be the guys like no, audn't say that because I did. That doesn't mean as a person, but for me just watching on TV, he's been really bad and the Titans have also been really bad, right, And.
Speaker 2: So I thought, if he comes up to me and he says, what are you saying?
Speaker 6: I was garbage?
Speaker 1: My response was going to be this, what would you say about if I were me watching you on television?
Speaker 2: And I think he'd probably been like that same, that's strong, strong comeback right there. I was prepared for that. I was ready, though, it's just in case, am I going to confirm or deny that?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 2: All right, confirmer, Deny McCarthy's a good football coach in Dallas. He's a good football coach.
Speaker 3: I'm going to confirm that McCarthy is a good football coach. His track record speaks for itself. This guy won a Super Bowl with the Bay Packers. Now, some of the decision makings, that decision making that he's had throughout his tenure with Dallas, and I'm talking mainly situational football into the game stuff where you should take a time out or you shouldn't take a time out. Stuff like that have been a little bit concerning, maybe lost an edge at a certain point. But then again, when you look at this team, they've also been devastated with injury as well. When you I played for the Dallas Cowboys, when you're there, everybody watches you, whether you're good or bad. But every year the expectation is Super Bowl or bust.
Speaker 2: I like McCarthy. I'm not a Cowboys fan, but I like Macarthy. I think, you know, his contracts up this year.
Speaker 1: I think they give him another year unless they can, Unless they for sure can get like a Rabel, right.
Speaker 3: You'd have to get a brand name and somebody also that fits into that world because Jerry. This organization's run by Jerry Jones, and you have to have a relationship with him and you have to take the.
Speaker 2: Good and the bad.
Speaker 6: Like when we were done with games.
Speaker 3: This is the only place I've ever been that this happened, that Jerry Jones would speak to the team before Garrett would speak to the team. Like I've never had an owner company after a game and be the first one to speak. But you just it's understood. And I'll tell you what. He's an incredible owner. He'll do anything for his team, but he wants to win, but everything goes through him. So sometimes I think that head coach ownership relationship gets a little bit blurred because of that reason.
Speaker 1: I am extremely biased and again not a Cowboys fan. However, I emailed the Dallas Cowboys. Next thing, you know me, my buddy Eddie, who's at Dallas Cowboys fan. We're in Jerry's chopper with Jerry. Yeah, with the headset on. Jerry's like taking us to it.
Speaker 6: We run a suite. He took.
Speaker 2: It was the greatest thing ever.
Speaker 1: I love Jerry Jones, and only because he replied to an email and then let me come and do everything with him one day.
Speaker 3: I love Jerry Jones. And it started when I got traded from the Buffalo Bills week three to Dallas. My wife was thirty four weeks pregnant. So the next day I jump on a plane. I get on Southwest and go to Dallas. But I was like, one of my concerns was getting my family to Dallas because she wasn't really supposed to fly. He's like, don't wear a mat. I'll take care of it. He also his first statement out of his mouth was Matt, welcome to the greatest franchise in all NFL.
Speaker 6: Like that, I was like, yes, this is awesome.
Speaker 3: But he sent a plane out to get my family in Buffalo, and he's like, be discreet about it. You don't need to tell anybody. Well, my wife walks up, takes a picture. It's got the huge Dallas Cowboys star on the side. I was like, that's not being too discreet. But I was so thankful because he's he cares about his players, but he also cares about the families that are involved too.
Speaker 1: For these players. That's like a dude who cares about dudes. Yeah, and that's cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, and you could go into his office and talk to him anytime, and it's like talking to an old friend and the stories that he has and just what he's been through in his life and his upbringing and then to make it to where he's been. He always loved football, but the Dallas Cowboys they're his baby. And I mean he's face, one of the face of the NFL and has been for a long period of time.
Speaker 2: And Arkansas rights back National champion. That's why.
Speaker 6: Okay, that makes more sense now, all.
Speaker 1: Right, confirm or deny. Trevor Lawrence is a really good quarterback.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go with Deny because he hasn't been able to prove that.
Speaker 6: And the whole thing.
Speaker 3: If you're going to say a quarterback's really good in the NFL, you have to have consistency. And I know what he came into with that organization and the coaches, the coach getting fired with Urban Meyer halfway through the season and all that stuff. That's chaotic for anybody, especially a rookie quarterback who is seen as the savior of a franchise. And he's got all the talent in the world. He was considered a generational talent when he was coming out and deservedly so the guy hadn't lost the game in college. I don't think maybe lost one game in college, didn't lose a game in high school. And he was exceptional, but he hasn't consistently shown the ability to perform week in and week out. And that's an issue. If you're going to say somebody is really good in the NFL, you have to have longevity.
Speaker 6: You have to stay healthy.
Speaker 3: But in addition to that, you have to show that you can sustain success week in and week out. He did want a playoff game, he did, But you said, really good quarterback. That's like upper echelon quarterback play. See I've got an.
Speaker 6: Argument for you.
Speaker 2: No, you win again.
Speaker 1: I am the uneducated guy with a big opinion, and it's almost like whatever you say wins. I hate this game because whatever you say wins. So I'm listening. I'm taking out of you.
Speaker 3: Oh good, So there's no you don't lose, so I get a buye, I get to buy all right?
Speaker 2: Two more. Bryce Young can be a top ten NFL quarterback.
Speaker 3: I love the way he's responded this season, and I'll say yes to that. The reason is is you can find out more about the character of a player when he goes through the difficult adverse times and you talk about the low of lows. I've been benched before. It's brutal right. You hear the noise. You're a guy that's come in and you're you got drafted what number one overall and struggled through his first season, gets benched early in the year and like some people were writing him off already. But the way that he's played once he returned into the starting lineup, I've got a lot of respect for him. You can see the skill set, some some click for him, and sometimes it is just stepping away and watching and absorbing and being around a veteran quarterback.
Speaker 6: Isn't is Dalton there? He is there yet? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So Dalton's there and again a car wreck, which is why Bryce Young came back to start again after Dalton was in the car accident.
Speaker 6: I didn't know that. That's wild.
Speaker 2: He didn't die, so you go, oh, yeah, I just didn't.
Speaker 6: I was like, I think I would have heard that they were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this became a little bit more tragic than just Bryce Young returning to the field. But just I think he's he's been consistent, He's shown the ability to put his team in a position to win games, even though they haven't won an a bunch of these games. I just like the way that he responded, and I think that he's got a really bright future. It's taken him a little while to adjust to that game, and some of it has to do with when you come to the out of the college game, which is much different. You're never under center, you're always in shotgun. He's got some he's got some issues in terms of just overall height and all those but you can tell the dude plays at a high level when he's on, and he has done that throughout the course of the year.
Speaker 1: Okay, last one, confirmer Deny Tua is far better than people gave him credit for, as made a parent by him being gone and then losing way more than now. They're winning more than losing bad game last week. But let's that guy that Diden happening.
Speaker 6: I'll confirm that. I mean, I believe Tua.
Speaker 3: Just look at his body of work going even back to college, and he's a guy that is understated in some ways just because of his personality. He's not real boisterous, he's not going to be in your face. But when he goes out in the field. He is a guy that knows the offense, gets rid of the ball, and knows where his playmakers are, and he elevates the team around him. Because we saw in his apps they lost what four straight or something like that. And so now he comes back to the lineup after another concussion and has crushed really until like you said last week, and you're going to have those games as a quarterback. I mean, nobody walks in for seventeen games straight and doesn't have that bad day. I mean, there's too many good players on the opposite side of the ball where it's just not going well that day and you gotta suck it up. But I believe that Tua is the franchise quarterback for that organization and fits what they do offensively perfectly.
Speaker 1: Exciting getting into the playoffs this weekend a question the Falcons did not make the playoffs. Kirk Cousins is not going to be the quarterback the Falcons next year. A question about being the quarterback when things aren't going right because Cousins I think was hurt. That's a crazy injury. The achilles is a hard injury to bounce back from, really difficult. Did you ever have, because I felt like there were times he wasn't able to throw the ball with as much velocity as he normally does. Obviously you need your legs to be able to do that. Did you ever have games and it could have been an injury or it just could have been you felt weird, We're just nothing went right, A're just like, what the heck is going on?
Speaker 3: Well, it's one of those crazy dynamics as a quarterback because you could be on a hot streak and then all of a sudden come into a game utmost of confidence and things just aren't going well.
Speaker 6: Like you come out for warm ups. It might be the ball's.
Speaker 3: Not coming out of my arm, coming off my hand really well, and then all of a sudden you get in the game and it's one bad play early on or something like that, and it starts to unravel. Or it could be something as simplistic as a guy's got a crossing route, hits his hands, bounces up, other team grabs it, takes it back for a pick six, and you got a rally.
Speaker 6: And again it's a game of ebbs and flows.
Speaker 3: But there's just some of those games where you can't pull yourself out of it.
Speaker 6: I was in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: We're playing the Patriots one year, and we went in that game feeling like we could compete against these guys. We go right down the field, first, first series score, touchdown, Boom. Okay, we're off to a good start. From that point on, it was a complete disaster. I tried to throw a post route down the middle. Mccordy picks it off, come back, revis baits me, try to throw it over his head. Interception number two. Now I've got Cordel Patterson running in cut, he fades on his incut.
Speaker 6: Gets undercut. Interception number three.
Speaker 3: Ball gets tipped up in the air off a defensive lineman's hands in interception number four, And you just leave there and you go in the locker room and you go, what the hell just happened? You know, And it's it's a mental grind because those are the ones that you want to go put your head in the hole and not come out for a few days. But you've got to go rally yourself and pull yourself back out of it. But those are just days that happened in the NFL where you're just a little bit off and things don't go your well away and there's enough good players on the opposite side to where if you make that minimal mistake, they're going.
Speaker 6: To capitalize on it.
Speaker 1: If I'm going to do the radio show in the morning, or if I'm gonna be on stage and I'm not feeling good, I have a sore throat, like nobody cares, and I don't.
Speaker 2: Talk about it, but I'd like to.
Speaker 1: I wish people knew that, Man, I got a crazy sore throat. I don't say it, but I wish they knew that. Maybe I'm not as funny or as active as I normally would be, but I'm hurt. But I haven't said anything because again, nobody cares. Did you ever feel like you're mildly injured and you wanted everybody to know? This is why you weren't it? But you nobody knew.
Speaker 3: Guys, I sucked today because I had a sprained MCL and I can't tell you guys that and make an excuse.
Speaker 2: Is that everything where like you were kind of hurt, oh one hundred percent all the time when nobody knew, And You're like, I just wish people knew that I had.
Speaker 3: A sprained ankle one game and you're out there and you tape it up, you shoot it up, but you're just not yourself. Like you said, you can't plant, you can't push off, And there's those moments and you miss certain throws, you're high on certain throws, whatever it might be, and you're sitting there going if they only knew, or if I could answer this question appropriately and tell them, look, you jerks, like I'm sitting here, I'm playing in pain. I'm trying to get through this game. And that's why I missed that throw. It's not just because I suck. It's just I couldn't push off my back foot or something like that. But that's again the same reason what we had talked about before. Is when somebody runs the wrong route and you throw an interception or when they're not the right right depth, and you've got to wear that as the quarterback and just say, you know what, I've got to do a better job, make a better decision, and your teammates respect you. And there are also those games where you go out there and you don't feel your best and you're dealing with something, but you play out of your mind.
Speaker 2: And I had a.
Speaker 3: Game in Denver one year where I literally had a spring to ankle. My ankle was swollen up, like this went out played, but I threw for four hundred yards. I have no idea why. It was like, I was like super calm. I was just like, yeah, I'm just gonna let it rip. I stayed in the pocket the entire time. Maybe that was it. I wasn't overthinking things. I was like, I know, I've got to be stationary, but I just got to let it rip. Hearing things in the pocket around, do you hear that at all? Or is it you're so active in trying to find things, You're so focused on what you're trying to do and go through reads and also see the defense at the same time that you know that there's just chaos always going around and you're trained to deal with that, and you don't really hear what's going on. Now after the play, when somebody hits you in your face and they want to talk smack to you, they definitely you can hear that, right, But when a play is actually going on, there's so many different thoughts. Okay, motion, do I have a check check with me? Is what we would call it. We got two plays in the huddle. Is the safety rotated down Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm alert and alert aler alert.
Speaker 3: Hey, and then I might have to quicken up my cadence and go, oh myhes it go, which lets everybody know we're going on second sound. So there's so many components and so many different factors going on in your head that you don't have time to think about all the other different discussion. Now, the only time i'd listen to what the defense is saying is they would make subtle adjustments when you'd come to a bunch or a stack and you could see them communicate, or some times they'd say nail, nail nail, which to me was a box coverage. It went to a cover for this guy at first of the flat. That was information that I wanted to gather because it would help me get through my read right now, and I'd get to the second or third guy in my progression immediately based on the route concept that we'd have called. And so a lot of that doesn't happens in film study. But as you are out on the field, a lot of times you can hear these guys communicating and you'll see we're gonna in and out this, we're gonna stack it, we're gonna play one on one off, whatever it might be, and you see them start to communicate. That's the only thing that I was paying attention to. Could you hear when you were about to get sacked? You could feel it more than you'd hear it, and then it would happen pretty abruptly.
Speaker 7: Feeling like peripheral, Like occasionally you'd feel the peripheral, like where they're coming from behind, and you just kind of start to feel something and then you pull that ball down.
Speaker 6: It just was it was reactionary.
Speaker 3: It wasn't anything more than like, oh gosh, I feel something and duck.
Speaker 2: Out of the way.
Speaker 3: And then the ones that you actually feel and probably hear a little bit more as there was one time we're playing Green Bay. I was in Dallas and Clay Matthews is lined up at the linebacker position, Like, look, this guy was versatile. He could play at the defensive end position, he could play off But if he's off the ball, our running back is responsible to pick him up. So he comes running from like a six yard head start, and I'm waiting for our running back to step up and take him on because I know that he's blitzing. But if we're supposed to be picked up, and then I just hear him bearing down me. I'm looking to the left and I'm going seems like he's getting closer.
Speaker 6: It's getting a lot closer.
Speaker 2: And all of a sudden, I look up and he's in my lap and just decleats me.
Speaker 6: He takes me off my lands, right on my ribs, knocks with the breath out of me.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking over. I see my running back out in the flat, and I'm like, bro, what the hell just happened? But he just was a busted protection scheme. But I could hear him, smell him, and feel him all at the same time.
Speaker 1: You ever smell a cologne on a player sacking you?
Speaker 5: No, you know?
Speaker 6: But was funny.
Speaker 3: Had a guy, Matt Light, who is our offensive tackle, a left left tackle in New England, and he used to always do this thing. He'd get this female cologne and he'd go through before him. Yeah perfect, yeah, I got good, good point, really good point. He'd get perfume and he'd go before, walkthrough and just drench different guys jerseys. And so now all of a sudden we're coming out in Belichick's like, what the hell is that smell?
Speaker 6: What the eth?
Speaker 3: And then we'd all get in the huddle like what the hell, and people are cracking up because they know that light just drenched this guy's whole jersey in perfume and you got to wear it during the entire practice.
Speaker 2: It was great. Thank you guys for listening. Thanks to Tim McGraw, He's Matt Castle. I'm Bobby Bones. We had lots to say. We will see you guys against him. Thanks, everybody.
Speaker 1: Lots to say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the Eye Heart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.