Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: And the official Dallas Cowboys apt.
Speaker 4: Now here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And now it's on to Baltimore. The oh and two Baltimore Ravens coming here.
Speaker 2: We don't talk about it. We are moving on.
Speaker 5: The Ravens start wait Ravens week starts now builds burned the tape guy, Welcome to.
Speaker 3: The podcast studio. And that No, we didn't get a fight song. We got that instead.
Speaker 4: So I just turned the page on some of my note here. Yeah, and I had to do a deal for Saturday for TV. My three keys to the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The title of the first key was huge tests. Time to find out if the Cowboys have really fixed their failing running defense from last year.
Speaker 3: Number two check that one.
Speaker 4: Number two. Number two was we want seven. Great that Brandon Aubrey picked up where he left off last year converting four or four field goals, but you better start scoring touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Don't check that one.
Speaker 4: And number three was host sweet home keep kick sixteen KOs keep.
Speaker 2: It going, baby.
Speaker 4: So my keys were right and they failed out all three.
Speaker 3: And so here we are breaking it down on the Monday after.
Speaker 2: Can we break that down?
Speaker 3: Yes, it broke itself down.
Speaker 2: It was broke. You know.
Speaker 6: I had spags and I were the Q and A on Saturday at the Omni, which was had a nice.
Speaker 4: Little crowd or Star Sports Tours.
Speaker 6: And they actually got a little excited, you know, towards the end we had them kind of excited, and you know, but one of the things that we.
Speaker 2: Talked about was how are we going to stop the run?
Speaker 6: And we thought that maybe Zimmer would be that saving grace right away. Okay, because right now I'm not giving up hope, on giving up hope on on our defense. But it looked as if we were back in time. It felt like I was right back there against Green Bay.
Speaker 2: Or against again. Yeah, but this was home.
Speaker 6: This was the feeling that you had at home, not being able to do anything on the road. You can say, okay, well they got the crowd behind them, But when you're at home and you've lost two straight games in this fashion, man, you gotta wonder what the heck's going on?
Speaker 4: And you know, the worst part was is they tried to play three linebackers against their run heavy formations.
Speaker 2: Made no difference.
Speaker 4: It made no difference because you know why why the Saints offensive line dominated the Cowboys defensive line. And they were picking off linebackers left and right, not.
Speaker 2: Just linebackers, but safeties as well.
Speaker 4: And they couldn't and they couldn't hold the edge. And that included Michael persons.
Speaker 2: What did I talk what did we talk about?
Speaker 6: When the person asked me, I think what was my I think I mentioned what was my toughest games? Or well, I didn't like to play it's Philadelphia, And I talked about how back in the day, Philadelphia would attack the edges and how they would they would bring those big old hill was on the those little bit of DB's on the edge, and they made they compromised us because you can play run so many times and then when their play action comes, you know, you're you're dumbfounded, you're surprised by it. And that's kind of what happened here. Did you see Trayvon trying to set the edge.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, against the pulling the offensive lineman.
Speaker 6: Now listen, okay, let me say this. I was never a strong guy. I hated lifting weights. I never lifted weights until I retired.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 6: I lift weights for uh, just so of my bones will be in place for a long time. Back then, I didn't lift weights, but I still had guys pulling out on the edge on me. And no matter how big they are spags, you still gotta be in position. You cannot take your anger out on a pulling guard and expect to win and hold the edge. You got to keep your poise. You still have to maintain and set that edge. You can do it. As a dB. I was one hundred and ninety pounds and I didn't set an edge like a linebacker alignment. But as a defensive back I did pretty well. And I know that these dbs that they have on this team, they're stronger than I was. They lift weights all the damn time.
Speaker 4: But did you make the tackle?
Speaker 6: All I had to do was turn it in. That's all I had to do. And I tell you what he never did. He never got outside of me. Well, that's what the problem is. He never got outside of me.
Speaker 4: If you're playing defense and your safety. Donovan Wilson is tied for the second most tackles on the team and your cornerbacks that are starting were third and fourth in tackles. You know you're doing something wrong because all those tackles weren't against guys catching passes. Most of the guys that caught passes right the tuxtile.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're not talking about them.
Speaker 6: But but that's that's just common uh since football, Uh, you gotta you gotta set up the airs, no matter who it is. I watched other defenses last night, other cornerbacks, other DB's last night.
Speaker 3: That would be the Texans Bears game, not.
Speaker 6: Just the Texans Bears game, but we could talk about the afternoon games that came on after that. You had some good defense being played by a lot of good teams from a lot of players I never freaking heard of, and they were able.
Speaker 2: To do well. They were able to close the gap.
Speaker 6: The secondary was able to figure out who was running down the field and.
Speaker 2: Not running right behind them going for touchdowns.
Speaker 6: I think our secondary alone, and this is all I can speak on our secondary alone, they need to be more in tune with each other. You had linebackers and safeties. They were running with their backs to the to the to the offense. And when you do that, you can't pursue well at all. When they throw the ball to someone underneath you. You understand what I'm saying I do, and you can see, of course they're going to run the ball. They could get eight, nine, ten yards. But when you have no coordination in your secondary to stop him from going eight ten yards to thirty eight yards, that's a big difference. That's why you work on pursuit drills. I mean, these are little elementary things that can not stop the bleeding. Now I'm not saying that, I'm saying as a secondary, we are the last line of defense, and as a secondary, we can't have someone.
Speaker 2: Running through there and have no one laying a hand on them.
Speaker 4: Well, let me simplify you this. For this, their three biggest supposedly defensive tackles Mozzi Smith, Jordan Phillips, Lynnville Joseph on the defense defensive stat chart, all three zeroed out. Didn't even have an assisted tackle none. And so if you go back to the first game, those three guys in two games have one assisted tackle. Now, they were supposed to get bigger up front, right they did. They also got older, and those guys have done nothing, nothing, And it's one thing not to have tackles, But how about holding down the fort? Now the fort just caved in and they were going to get linebackers. Even though they played three linebackers, Leo File played his most snaps Clark and Kendricks, and didn't matter that they played three linebackers. They ran for one hundred and ninety yards.
Speaker 6: Here's what one ninety well I saw early on was almost it fooled me, you know because early on, like I think the first drive or whatever, first couple of plays, they actually controlled the line for a couple of plays and that's it just for.
Speaker 2: But but once again, guys.
Speaker 3: Throw that play out the average eleven yards you carry.
Speaker 6: But once again, once again, once again, yes, you're you're going to have drive plays of four five yards, but you can't have the fifteen twenties and thirties. And as a secondary, remember you you have to be able to stop the bleeding a bit.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that you're gonna get up there and eight.
Speaker 6: Men on the line, but you cannot have long touchdown runs.
Speaker 2: That's where the secondary comes into play. I get it.
Speaker 6: We got guys up front, they're not doing jack, but you also got guys in the secondary. They have no idea about angles and pursuit angles that you need to do to stop the bleeding.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: But okay, but y'allso ought to cover some passes and they didn't do that. Do you realize he only completed Derek Carr eleven passes? You know how many yards he.
Speaker 2: Ended up with, like two hundred and fifty two hundred.
Speaker 4: And forty three. He averaged twenty two yards of completion a completion fifteen per attempt. He only threw what sixteen passes, sixteen eleven of sixteen for two.
Speaker 6: Forty When he finally threw that bomb, you had I think it was Hooker.
Speaker 4: And Wilson split, say, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know if Wilson was supposed to be back there. But Hooker was already being influenced by the run because he was way too close to a speedster that that you have basically one on one and.
Speaker 4: The cornerback passed them off because Kaitlyn Carson sat and just it. He didn't even try to cover him, so he obviously was not supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be He had a free release, yeah against Hooker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's a ten yard cushion that was closed up quickly because first of all, once again you got your safeties looking at the heavy run situation that they were facing already, and then all of a sudden, it's a play action hooker. All he needed was a hesitation. Once he hesitated, the receiver's already up on him, and everyone knows what kind of speed you're looking at. See that kind of awareness. I'm a safety. I can't get up there and make a run stop. But I know dog gone well that I'm looking at the wide receiver him lined up over who runs a four to two forty. So it's no way I'm going to sit up here worried about the run when I have this guy here running a four to two forty. There are certain there are certain identifications that you have to have, and good defenses have that. I'm pretty sure that the Saints did well in all of those nine games in a row. I think that they won at the end of the season, and then four of the last five whatever.
Speaker 2: That's great. Do you think that they ran all over every other team that they played.
Speaker 4: I don't know they ran over the previous team all them.
Speaker 2: I got run over by.
Speaker 3: The Chargers yesterday so you go the previous team probably not going to win a game this year, and I'm.
Speaker 6: All, I'm saying, guys that at one point you have to have a little bit more poise as a defense.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying. That's all I'm saying. At one point, you have to have some poise.
Speaker 4: So I kept looking this up the last time. If anybody even kept this up, an NFL team had six consecutive possessions with a touchdown. The best I could find was going back to nineteen ninety eight. The record in one game was seven, both by New England in two thousand and nine and two thousand and seven. They had seven consecutive possessions with a touchdown. They scored touchdowns on six consecutive possessions. But wait, they also scored points in the first game on nine consecutive not touchdowns, but points. So they have now scored points on fourteen consecutive possessions to start two games.
Speaker 3: And this is against the Cowboys team that in the season opener in Cleveland, the first eight possessions of the game, the Dallas defense gave up forty five yards and one first down. Yes, the first eight possessions.
Speaker 2: I told you.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to crown Zimmer yet because of what we did in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so here are the numbers against Cleveland, first eight possessions forty five yards, one first down, against New Orleans first six possessions three hundred and seventy nine yards and twenty first downs and six touchdowns.
Speaker 6: And I've got someone writing me, texting me Nate from Frisco. Tell you, guys, gaps and the scheme they run is outstanding. And in regards to your your words about the office, the defensive line, he said, was it the Texas.
Speaker 2: Two step with the d line or ballroom dancing first? Is a good question.
Speaker 4: The first half against Cleveland, Cleveland had fifty four total yards. So how do you go from that to this? Are the Saints like that? Good?
Speaker 6: Well, the system is different. The scheme is a lot different. What you saw with the Saints. The way they had that thing all bunched up in there. You know, then they made them susceptible, susceptible to crossing routes and things that nature.
Speaker 2: No, that was a very good design. It was a very good design.
Speaker 6: And then they have good players and they have a good design and good place.
Speaker 2: We took that.
Speaker 4: We talked about Taysom hill On, how they move him all over the place, so they basically used.
Speaker 2: Him as as a full back, a full back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's listed as a tight end. He was playing full back that.
Speaker 6: But early on they gave that up. They didn't even need him in the backfield. A lot of the time. There were times when there was just one one running back back there Kamara and I didn't see tasting.
Speaker 4: Any who who, by the way, is pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's still good, still good.
Speaker 4: He's healthy.
Speaker 6: I asked you what happened? I said, I hadn't heard from him. You say he'd been injured or something.
Speaker 4: The previous couple of years, a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he's he's pretty healthy now.
Speaker 4: Boy, he hits that line of scrimmage full speed, especially when no one's in his way. One hundred and ninety yards that's all I can think of. And two forty three passing on eleven completions.
Speaker 6: So once again, and we talked no pressure, talked about this doing the Q and A.
Speaker 2: They're going to have problems.
Speaker 6: We're gonna be judging them all year long to see if we can stop them. But this is going to be going on all year long. We talked about they'll.
Speaker 4: Sit on to Baltimore. What do you think Baltimore is sitting there zero and two seething and they're going, Oh, they run for that many yards at home, I mean against them at home.
Speaker 3: And by what, By the way, their fullback is about three hundred and ten pounds Patrick Ricard.
Speaker 2: Well they use him a lot too. They throw to them sometimes.
Speaker 4: They're struggling scoring points too.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, well they're not.
Speaker 6: They didn't play us, So let's just wait and see before we start getting comfortable.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no comfort.
Speaker 4: There's no comfort in Mudville.
Speaker 3: Or Southern comfort after a game like yesterday. All right, we're just getting started on a Monday after we continue on the Baltimore When Mixed Shots continues in a moment, that was cool.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto wants. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you.
Speaker 3: Wincot slides for the first down.
Speaker 7: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rooky in crypto with blockchain dot com perfect.
Speaker 1: Throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 4: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 8: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 9: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 8: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less feelings.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 1: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Rashine legal guy. Celebrate Responsibily Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands pe point d Gram's carvers for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas.
Speaker 2: Tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools.
Speaker 6: You can visit Cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next to to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 10: The Mixed Shots come shopping the Star in Frisco on Saturday twenty eighth, from ten am to four pm at Flea Styles Market at the Star, presented by Making Place by Michaels, featuring fifty plus local makers offering art, fashion, home decords, jewelry and kids items.
Speaker 6: Market at the Star is always a favorite. Admission is free. Visit the Star District dot com for more info.
Speaker 4: It's so funny you to enjoy that I forgot I was gonna read the thing like.
Speaker 2: You're so glad you said, I'm like, oh before from where was.
Speaker 3: That kid coming out of the break producer supreme? Okay, he q. He gives a queue to ever sing go Everson. Right before that, you were lost in thought or something. You were staring right at my script and Mickey said you got the script and you did not respond.
Speaker 6: I did not respond because I wasn't not looking at the script.
Speaker 2: My mind.
Speaker 3: I know it was just you are undistractable.
Speaker 4: Play next thing he was gonna say, crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm still I'm still dumbfounded.
Speaker 6: I swear my mind was all on yesterday, all on yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: From yesterday.
Speaker 3: You look like Kaylin Carson.
Speaker 2: Letting go.
Speaker 4: And he didn't let alive go to set up that first touchdown and got beat on a deepens.
Speaker 2: They had.
Speaker 4: They had a completion for seventy yards and thirty nine yards. It's one hundred and nine yards and two passes.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So you take those two plays out, we.
Speaker 2: Did pretty good, oh man.
Speaker 4: So I found it.
Speaker 3: They barely got the third down.
Speaker 2: I found it.
Speaker 3: There were three for three on third down. It never hardly got exactly.
Speaker 6: The second down was our problem first and second down was a big exactly, and it just it looks just like Green Bay looked last year.
Speaker 2: It looks just like.
Speaker 6: Those games where we on the road, where we couldn't stop anybody from running the ball. So when you take a look at everything that went on through the entire offseason until now, then you say, what the hell have we been doing? You got to wonder what have we been doing, what have we been thinking? And what are we going to do next? That's the most important thing.
Speaker 3: We actually had four of these games last year, including the playoff game.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is.
Speaker 3: A Cowboys team that went twelve and five last year and then got blown out in the playoffs, but four of the losses they fell behind by double digits in the first half of the games, starting with the Arizona game, fell behind fifteen to three in the second quarter, lost twenty eight to sixteen. San Francisco fell behind twenty one to seven, fourteen points in the second quarter and lost forty two to ten. Buffalo fell behind three touchdowns twenty four to three in the second quarter and lost by three touchdowns thirty one to ten, and then Green Bay fell behind twenty seven to seven in the second quarter and by twenty points and lost by sixteen forty eight thirty two. It's like a trend of if this team falls behind like that, there's no way to get back. And any team would be like that. But there were four instances of that over eighteen games.
Speaker 6: In the same style, the same style. That's what's unnerving. Also by giving up everyone.
Speaker 4: Play and and that's one thing, but just because the defense can't stop anybody doesn't preclude the offense from scoring touchdowns. That's right. And when you get in a track meet, you gotta score, you gotta keep up. And they're kicking field goals, yes, right, kicking field goals, and you guys, and.
Speaker 6: Then in every game that's that is what happened with kicking field goals as opposed.
Speaker 4: To hand even in the first you know, it was only two. So it's now three offensive touchdowns in two games. That ain't gonna cut.
Speaker 6: And I saw some passes yesterday that if Dak would have it seems like he's trying to throw off his back foot or something. He needs to you know, keep put put put more something into.
Speaker 4: It to where he was never comfortable in the pocket.
Speaker 6: And the throws down the field, except for the one to CD. He was holding up receivers.
Speaker 2: That was. That was a couple of times. I think it was Tobert Man.
Speaker 6: He had the guy be deep and then he had to come back and make a great play. There was another time he had to beat he had to come back and try to make a play and the guy knocked the hell out of him and they didn't even call it.
Speaker 4: And then the one CD was open and he overthrew.
Speaker 6: Yes, that one as well in the end zone. Yes, who was what was what was going on with that? Because he's here, CD's here. He seemed to throw it like he didn't throw He didn't throw a post.
Speaker 2: He didn't throw like he threw it over here.
Speaker 3: Adjustment that where they were weren't on the same page, you know where ye read where CD ran a post.
Speaker 4: And there were a couple of times, and I don't know if it was after.
Speaker 2: And he was open.
Speaker 4: They were talking on the sideline. Yeah they okay, how did.
Speaker 2: We miss that? Yeah? I don't know what happened.
Speaker 6: Well, that one I okay, But when you're talking about I saw three deep passes that could have been thrown much better, and he's he's thrown those before.
Speaker 3: So tell me on that. On a an adjustment like that where the quarterback and the receiver have to read the corner the coverage, yes, okay, what are what are they reading there? Leverage?
Speaker 6: They're reading how the cornerbacks lined up right, and they're also trying to read whatever the safety is. So if it's a safety in here, I don't think you want to necessarily throw it in here unless you're going to make it a timing right and I think that could have been one of those what they call it the East West Coast offense timing routes back foot hits, he throws. It's not necessary a three steps. It could be a five step, but it's still a quick timing route. Initially the receiver was inside of the defensive back, but the safety was also inside. The cornerback was outside. Safety is inside. You can still hit it in there quickly and he was open.
Speaker 2: But was that to read? I don't know anyway.
Speaker 4: Well, they had three possessions in the red zone. They went over for three scoring touchdowns, kick two goals, and I think one ended on downs. So think about that. You get in the red zone, you got to score touchdowns. No, I'm not saying you're going to do it. But if you score touchdowns and three of those possessions, that's twenty one more points, that's forty at least you're in the track meet, right, But they're kicking field goals, and the touchdown they scored offensively was kind of fortunate, right, What did Deck throw maybe a ten yard pass to the CD and he ducked under two guys and what was it?
Speaker 6: S Well, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna diminish now.
Speaker 2: Touchdowns amazing.
Speaker 6: But again, I mean we could say the same thing about a lot of times about.
Speaker 2: Some goofy stuff that we did.
Speaker 4: But that was but that was strange. It wasn't like it wasn't like you drove down the field and scored.
Speaker 2: Exactly like they never seen a guy running down the field.
Speaker 4: I mean, they didn't drive and score touchdowns.
Speaker 2: They got fortunate. But now we were.
Speaker 6: I want you to with field goals as well, because those weren't easy field goals.
Speaker 2: No. Two from fifty, So I.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't say that, you know, you could just let's just score a touchdown from there.
Speaker 2: You were lucky to get a field goal.
Speaker 3: You've seen the way kickers are kicking field goals this year. Crazy fifty is easy. Apparently it's easy.
Speaker 2: Fifty four I saw that.
Speaker 3: I'll get the new extra point.
Speaker 4: I means the judge guys brown forty yard field goals.
Speaker 2: They were any field goal kicker miss a fifty.
Speaker 3: It was twenty, they were twenty one. The league was twenty one of twenty three on fifty plus yard field goals last week. And I think they were perfect this week because every single game I was watching, when a kicker was lining up for a fifty one to sixty yard field goal, I said, well, they're going to make this one, and sure enough that every single one of them they made.
Speaker 6: But then, you know what's crazy, how everyone has a place in this thing. You've got certain kickers, Well he was the last six games last year.
Speaker 2: He was a top way to kicker.
Speaker 6: And then they had another kicker. I saw his stat. Well he's had more made field.
Speaker 2: Goals than anyone else.
Speaker 6: You know, then this guy has a better percentage than anyone else in history. So yeah, kickers are becoming studs. They're becoming the studs of the team.
Speaker 3: And the reason that the reason the Commanders beat the Giants yesterday truly was because the Commander's kicker, who they signed this week, Austin Seybert, went seven for seven on field goals. They scored twenty one points in the game. They were all on field goals. The Giants they lost their kicker on the opening kickoff. He pulled a ham straight they opening kickoff, and so the reason they had eighteen points at the end of the game, it was because they couldn't kick an extra point because they didn't have a kicker.
Speaker 4: And god forbid if they had a field goal.
Speaker 2: Attep try tough game, but.
Speaker 4: You gotta score touchdowns and they're not.
Speaker 2: Well here's my thing, they're not.
Speaker 6: Okay, you guys score touchdowns, but you gotta stop people as well.
Speaker 2: Well, I understand, we talked, well, what I want.
Speaker 6: From this team is a defense led, defensive lead team.
Speaker 4: Well you didn't get it.
Speaker 2: Not yet at all.
Speaker 6: And this is the only way we're going to be a good team. Yeah, you keep talking about last week you said we're going on to Baltimore, We're still talking about Cleveland. That's not the way to go because we have to be a team that can evolve into a good NFL team, and the only way we're going to do that is if we stop things like that happening.
Speaker 2: Watching over again, He's not even running hard.
Speaker 3: Keep showing Alvin Kamara.
Speaker 6: He's not even running fast, and they're still not catching him. I mean, that's how out of position our secondary is. He's running through them as if they're He looked like Mark Collins.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, he looks like Marcus Allen at sixty years old.
Speaker 2: You gotta do better.
Speaker 4: Well, how about a fifty seven yard screen pass?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just so.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you think of on that? On the Cowboys initial defense on that and how they took advantage of the Cowboys there.
Speaker 4: They had they had lined up the on that play. They had lined up one of the linebackers on the line of scrimmage to the right.
Speaker 3: Yep, it was leophil Leo and he took an outside rush, took him out, took him out, and there was no Lawrence had a So the guard was blocking de Marcus Lawrence. Lawrence does a quick spin, a swim move to the inside, and so he was totally it was just vacant right there, which left the guard. He got past the guard. Well, it's a screen pass and Kamara's right behind the guard, and whoever the linebacker was that was left there had no chance because and then Camara with his feet just took off.
Speaker 4: It was Kendrick and he couldn't get over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I saw so many games yesterday to where you didn't have to worry about one freaking man. You worry about more than one man. That was pursuit. But again, good defenses, half pursuit.
Speaker 3: But what I saw on that was they took advantage of an over aggressive defensive front. Yes, which is what we saw time and time again.
Speaker 6: Last year, and it happened again. I thought, were So then what happened? What happens with the other seven guys on the team? What happens with the other seven guys. Defense is all about a team game. You have to have team recognition.
Speaker 3: What did Tom say about the flex defense as far as doing your job?
Speaker 2: Coordination not? You know, it's coordination. It's coordination. So you've got they're ready for the run. They they I think they faked the run. So then you've got guys out of position.
Speaker 6: I get that. Now they're trying to scramble and get back for a deep pass. So you've got linebackers and safeties with their backs to the ball.
Speaker 2: Their back is to the play.
Speaker 6: Their recognition is so bad they don't unders say it's a screenplay until the guy's twenty yards down the field. That's the stuff I'm talking about. That's what we were taught as defenders.
Speaker 2: I get it. Yeah, the scheme, I get it. I get it. But when you're talking.
Speaker 6: About stopping a fifty eight yarder holding it to probably twelve yards, that can be done. I saw it done all day yesterday, and it was done by an entire team.
Speaker 2: They wasn't worried about.
Speaker 6: Oh well, he's got the guard there on that linemacker then so he can cut inside.
Speaker 2: Well, what the hell is everybody else? It's a a lot of people on.
Speaker 4: That field playing the run, playing the run.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I mean, damn, Now he's got the ball.
Speaker 4: But he ain't catching Kamara.
Speaker 2: You don't have to catch him. You head them off.
Speaker 4: He's not the rang There was no one there.
Speaker 2: See he's talking silliness. I know there was no bare where the recognition comes fromags.
Speaker 4: But they got they got taken out? How well number one?
Speaker 2: The no, no, no, how did they How did the dB get taken out? How did all your sagetes get taken out on that on that How did that?
Speaker 4: Now? Where I gotta go looking?
Speaker 6: Ye see, because you're talking about you're talking about the front I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about where the other wide receivers were.
Speaker 2: If the receivers can only run you so far down the.
Speaker 4: Field, if they're on the other side, you're not in position to make a play.
Speaker 2: You can. That's why you have legs.
Speaker 6: You can have.
Speaker 4: Their legs were as fast as kamaras guaranteed, Bro, he didn't even get touched.
Speaker 6: I was with a team in nineteen eighty one. We gave him so many damn touchdowns.
Speaker 2: It was a joke.
Speaker 6: But we also came back and made some damn plays. Let's see that was that was a joke. That wasn't a joke either, because we made many We made many quarterbacks come in and have the best yardage game, but then they also had their worst interception game. Because we didn't give up on plays. We recognized things. Even at our young age we were rookies.
Speaker 3: All right, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna show the video to Everson and Mickey on the Camara screen pass.
Speaker 4: That sounds good, and then.
Speaker 3: Both of you are going to break it down when we come back here on mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 2: Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Wallas.
Speaker 6: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Scott slides for the first.
Speaker 7: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the nat?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 4: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 8: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lte is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 8: Look, I'm just reading the script. It is less filling.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 1: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Never lights in fact less filling and taste great. I'm mishine legal guy. Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer nmty six thousands preepoint j Gram's covers for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Devict shuts.
Speaker 6: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right, we just took a trip to the film room to look at the Camaro, which, by the way, the same time in the film room, they're breaking it down here on NFL Network as well.
Speaker 6: That's why they're breaking it down because they realize how incompetent we played in the secondary. That's why their players keeps running in the back of my head often over and over again.
Speaker 3: All right, so what's your take on it?
Speaker 2: Exactly what I said. You have no recognition from your second dary no.
Speaker 3: And your concern is turning what should have been a twelve yard completion.
Speaker 2: Let's give him, Let's.
Speaker 6: Give him fifteen, Let's give him fifteen twenty yards because, like I said, the scheme is great. I get that it's tough to stop, but we don't just lay down. We have to minimize the damage. That's what the secondary's job is.
Speaker 4: I saw a guy, I saw guys running for their lives and they weren't gaining answer.
Speaker 3: My question is, on that play, how do you keep Camara from getting the screen pass at all? I'm not talking about I'm not talking about keeping a fifty seven yard or a twelve yard or I want him not to get the football on the screen pass.
Speaker 2: You got to stop the run. It all came from they were already marinated.
Speaker 3: It looked like you had you but you had a bunch of players on the left side up front, and then you had a linebacker Leofel who did an upfield rush to the outside. He was taken out by the left tackle. And you had Lawrence with a swim move inside on the guard which took him out of that vicinity of where Camaro was. And then you had the guard blocking Kendricks one on one with Camaro with the football in space.
Speaker 4: And you had the other corners on the other side covering their guy. And by time they realized it, recognition whatever, still they were and it looked like Hooker.
Speaker 3: Had the Hooker had the tight end. Juwan Johnson, who basically ran a post route right to Donovan Wilson to block him because he knew it was a screen, got Hooker and you got Hooker and Wilson.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but you know what happened, you know what.
Speaker 4: And Dennis Allen was right after the game, he was very humble and he said, when we established the run game, everything else fell.
Speaker 2: And that's what you start.
Speaker 4: You start getting so conscious about stopping the run, then you get susceptible to a receiver running straight down the field.
Speaker 6: They were already marinated, Bill, They were ready to be cooked. They were already marinated. They were all the run. The run game itself got them ready, and from being on they were all prepared for the setup.
Speaker 3: And you know, it was only their twelfth play of the game. That was their third touchdown twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a quick man.
Speaker 4: It might have only been their third or fourth completion by the way at that point. And they tried to play the heavy guys up front. Mizzy Smith thirty three snaps that might be a single game high. Lynnville Joseph twenty four snaps and Phillips nineteen snaps.
Speaker 2: And you pointed out their effectiveness and.
Speaker 4: They did nothing. Yes, it's one thing not to have a tackle, but it's another thing not to hold down the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: And once again, guys, I watched a lot of football yesterday. I'm sure you did too, Bill.
Speaker 6: I'm sure that when you saw some of that great defense being played yesterday by some teams who really shouldn't be as good as ours, you had to think, Man, this is what the Cowboys need. That's the kind of recognition we need. That's the kind of aggressiveness we need. That's the kind of intellect we need. Spags, you gotta be a one week and you don't have it the next because you have two offensive three offensive linemen for the Cleveland Browns who ain't worth jack. Well, that's how I got a pretty good that's how because they got and they didn't even try to run the ball.
Speaker 4: They got whipped up front both lines.
Speaker 6: And everyone was disappointed in Cleveland. They said they never tried to run the ball and they didn't.
Speaker 4: Well, they tried, they didn't get anything.
Speaker 2: They didn't try, they didn't try, And you gotta continue. You can't just give it up.
Speaker 4: Well when it's twenty seven to three years at that time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, too much?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and why was it twenty seven three because you scored points, right, You've got a punt return for you. Notice they didn't want to kick the ball to turpen either, Well, they didn't have to punt, no, I mean kickoffs.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Having said all this, they punted. What why I didn't know they had a punter?
Speaker 3: Okay, Having said all this, Yes, Now there's nine minutes and five seconds left in the third quarter, and you if you had the ball coming out a halftime and you did get a field goal not a touchdown. Okay, it's thirty five to nineteen. It's technically a two score game. You're down sixteen points. Saints take over with nine oh five to play in the third quarter, and they go seventy yards in thirteen plays and use up seven minutes and fifty six seconds of the clock to score a touchdown again with one nine left in the third quarter. So you only had the ball basically one time in the third quarter because you couldn't stop them defensively from an eight minute drive.
Speaker 2: That's why you have to be good on offense.
Speaker 6: If you can't stop anybody on defense, you have to be just as effective as Bags.
Speaker 4: Was saying complimentary football, and they didn't compliment each other very well.
Speaker 3: That's where the run game I mean. On that on that eight minute drive, camera caught a pass for eight he would stopped for no gain, and then Taysom Hill went for nine yards on third and two, then Kamara for three. Kamara also had a carry of ten three four and a touchdown run of seven.
Speaker 4: Do you realize they scored two touchdowns on that drive?
Speaker 2: Yes, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: They got one called back?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and they still scored, So they would have had they scored seven touchdowns.
Speaker 2: That was one two four.
Speaker 3: They actually scored a touchdown that was called back on the sixth play of that drive, and so it would have been had that stood up, it would have been a drive that was half the length.
Speaker 4: And it had looked like they had stopped him on third nine and Jordan Lewis got called for interference.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the penalty was the ineligible player downfield, which he was like two yards downfield.
Speaker 2: Well he wasn't the only one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of them, but it was only it was just on the other side of the okay, Mickey, Mickey, Mickey, I'm sticking up. Put your referees hat on, your officials had on. What did you think of those calls that were all going against the Cowboys in the early part of the game, where they missed calls on pass interference and they missed a face mask and they missed Imagine how this game would have played out differently, Mickey, Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: Game it would have just delayed.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: And that once again, I saw the games all yesterday. I saw defensive plays being made against some damn good offensive schemes and good running games, and they endured throughout the entire game and kept giving their offense a chance to win the game time after time after time.
Speaker 3: I got to get the cornerback's perspective. If you did you see the end of the Chiefs Bengals game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all right, I heard ran. I mean, but.
Speaker 6: And the play like that where all you have to do is stop them. Man, if you just rake that guy's arms, you have to, rookie, rookie, just rake the guys on he's got man, just rake that guy's arms. Its incomplete.
Speaker 3: Bam, You're done, Rookie, Bengals DBT.
Speaker 6: So when I look at all the chances that Kansas City gave Patrick Mahomes, who, what the hell does he need all these chances for? He's Patrick Mahomes, But he got a lot of chances because now he has a defense. I looked at so I looked at Lamar Jackson being held down all of a sudden. Now they're oh and two. We need a defense. As I've said all off season, we need a defense that we can depend on.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting on the on the passenger pass interference call, people say, oh, the officials need to let the let them make the play, you know, or actually what needs to happen is the dB needs to let them, make them make the play.
Speaker 6: Make them make the play. First of all, don't give them the play. It was too soon, it was too obvious. It was just you can't just say, oh, that was a guy trying to make a play. That was a guy trying to make a play.
Speaker 3: But he gets back to situational awareness, to that understand that this is for the game right here.
Speaker 2: Don't talk to me, Bill, go talk to those guys.
Speaker 3: All right, Mickey, you got anything else to wrap it up?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 3: He's lost in thought.
Speaker 2: What are you looking up?
Speaker 4: I know I was looking up that nineteen eighty one season where he said they gave up all these touchdowns. I mean passing testdowns seventeen sixteen rushing one special team. That's not bad? Is it? Over sixteen games?
Speaker 2: I'm talking about passing testdowns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seventeen that's all. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: A lot of big plays. I mean you won a game, won a game, not to mention the big plays that set up some other plays.
Speaker 4: You had twenty four passing touchdowns and gave up seventeen three point three percent.
Speaker 2: That's not bad, not bad. You know why? Better because we got recognition.
Speaker 4: Because you had interceptions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because we recognized we can make interceptions. Now it's all recognition.
Speaker 4: How do you want to put how many picks that they have ever since eleven plus.
Speaker 2: What like thirty something? You led the league I think as a team.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's not looking at well.
Speaker 3: In nineteen eighty one, you only had one of these games. That was at San Francisco, which you talked about last week. I think the regular easing game against San Francisco's forty five fourteen loss.
Speaker 2: But once again, that was on the road. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 6: That was on the road.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about being at home. It's traumatizing.
Speaker 4: Third key, home, sweet home, that was part of your key.
Speaker 3: All right, Well that does it for a less than victory Monday. Here inside the s WBC.
Speaker 4: Podcast Studio, fifteen games to.
Speaker 3: Go right, fifteen all right, and we will shot at you again tomorrow here on mcshots.
Speaker 2: No Cowboys Please.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.