Speaker 1: Personal with the Long Fieldsmen.
Speaker 2: I was really excited when I started this podcast because I was getting to talk about topics that I'm super passionate about and share things across the board that just hopefully make us feel like we're learning lessons and growing as people. But this particular episode might be one of my favorites because this is a topic that I am above and beyond one of the most passionate things about, and it is rescue animals. So this week I'm bringing on one of the founders of Wags and Walks Nashville. Her name is Catherine, and that's a rescue organization that's here in Nashville. They're also out in Los Angeles, and we're going to get into that interview here shortly, but I wanted to share some backstory of why I'm such a huge advocate for rescue animals. So the rescue side doesn't really come into play for me until later on in my life. But as a kid, I was a huge animal lover. I wanted every animal you could possibly have under the sun, and thankfully I had parents who also loved animals. We had a farm that had four horses, and we had guinea pigs and bunnies and turtles and ferrets. We really truly had just about everything. Cats and dogs of course too, So I grew up a very animal loving girl, and enough that you know, when I turned eight years old, I became a vegetarian once I learned out where meat came from. So the animal loving thing was part of my nature. It's always been part of who I am. But until I got to college, I didn't really know much about shelters beyond what everybody saw on the TV was the Sarah McLachlan commercials and the sadness that comes with them. And I always wanted to help, but I didn't really understand. It wasn't until I was in my junior year of college and one of my really good friends in roommates at the time, there was five of us girls living together. She suggested that we all start fostering animals. Because we were college kids, we couldn't own any animals, but we could help save some. And there was a rescue organization in our college town of Manhattan, Kansas called Purple Paws, and she had reached out to him, brought a dog home, and we were all sold. We're like, I don't know how we're going to give this dog up, but we'll figure it out. And so we started fostering. I want to say by the end of our junior year, we had fostered over twenty two animals, dogs and cats, and it was the most rewarding year of my life. I had no idea that I had the capability or the strength to help in that way. I never thought that I could be a foster. I had such a big heart and I wanted to keep and love every animal that came into my presence. But something about being part of all these dog stories, when I knew in the back of my head I was a college kid that couldn't have her own animal at this time, allowed me to really see that I could do the fostering thing give me the confidence to do so. So after I graduated college and we had done all this fostering, I went back home and I knew immediately that what I wanted to do was start volunteering at the shelter because I was missing that portion of my life and what we were doing with helping all of those animals. So I signed up to be a dog walker volunteer at Kansas Humane Society, which ironically I only lasted about two weeks because famously, I then met my now dog, Remy. She came in as a puppy and I had actually tried to get my parents to adopt her because on her card it read Maltese mix, and we had had a Maltese at home, we had had a breeder dog, and I loved her. I will never ever forget her. We had a beagle before that, and so the beagle was named Riba, the Maltese was named Bella, and we had a Siamese named Sapphire. And I will never not love those animals over the course of my lifetime. They were incredible animals and I loved them wholeheartedly. But you know, as you grow and you get older, you learn things and you do better because of them. So while never take away those experiences I had with any of those animals, because they allowed me to learn the love that I have for animals, I do know better now to now My future dogs and any animals that I have post college are always going to be rescue animals. So in meeting Remy at the shelter at Kansas Humane and trying to bring my parents in to meet her as they came in to meet her. They kind of looked at me and said, Morgan, that's your dog. She doesn't want anything to do with us, like she kind of imprinted on you. And sure enough, but again, I was a position where I just got out of college, I'm living with my parents, I had just started a brand new job, not in a position to have a puppy. Well, I really loved her and I couldn't stop thinking about her, and thankfully my parents were like, you know, it's okay, you can get her if you want her. And so as soon as I got the green light, I called Kansas Humane. She hadn't been Spade yet, so technically she wasn't up for adoption yet. She was just kind of in the back waiting for the Spade happened and then be put on the adoption floor. So I called them before she ever made it, and I said, hey, if the Spae goes great, like I want her, I'm putting a hold on her. And I did, and thank goodness, the Spade surgery went really well and I was up there shortly after to officially adopt her. She was originally named Vulpricks, which I have learned as a Pokemon name. She's not at all a Vulpricks. She's totally a Rimy and the rest is history. So we lived in Wichita with my parents for a year in the whole puppy phase, which was wildly crazy for me, especially having a brand new job. It was a very wild moment for me to do that, but I'm so glad that I did. And then fast forward to Nashville. Rimy and I have lived in Nashville together since twenty sixteen, but it wasn't until February of twenty twenty three when I started asking questions. Ironically, I had broken up with my boyfriend that passed fall in twenty twenty two, and he didn't want to ever have a cat, but I had always wanted one because I grew up with one that I loved, and so I had reached out to Nashville Humane and said, Hey, if you guys happened to get any Siamese in any kind, to let me know. I would love to foster and find out if Remy's even going to allow me to have another pet in this house. So that's where Hazel came into the picture. About a week later, I got a message and he had said that they had a Siamese. She came from one hundred and thirty cat hoarding situation in Mississippi and they had taken in about thirty of them, and Hazel was one of them. And I fostered her for about two months. And that whole process of fostering and getting her to get used to me, which is even more difficult with cats. Cats are a little bit more untrusting than dogs. But as soon as that two month threshold kind of hit, she finally started to come out of her shell and I said, oh, there's no way I'm going to be able to give her up, and her and Remy really finally started to get along, and I was like, Okay, I think this will work, and I called them officially went in to put in for the adoption, and you'll hear as I'm talking to Catherine that I didn't even know how old Hazel was until I actually went in for the adoption, and at that point it didn't even matter. I had already fallen in love with her. So I learned that she was eight years old, which ironically was also Remy's age, and they were the same coloring, and she was also named Hazel, which I didn't end up changing. I figured she had really kind of already been through enough. But more than that, my previous cat was a Siamese and her name was Safie, short for Sapphire. She had bright blue eyes, and she had a color name, and I felt, you know, this is just really meant to be. This feels right, and it feels like Saffie would approve. So that's my animal story history background. But I also wanted to share this because just because I grew up with breeder animals doesn't mean I don't get to change and do better because I know better now, and my family knows better. My sister adopted two Doberman's who she both foster failed. My parents have taken in three rescues since all of this. So just because you might have been used to breeder dogs, because that was just the norm, especially a lot of us nineties babies as we were growing up and before that, just because you're used to that doesn't mean that's what you have to keep doing. And that's my hope with this episode is that you recognize that you can have a beautiful life and a beautiful family and beautiful relationships with animals that are coming from shelters and rescues. So thanks for listening to my personal story. But now it's time for us to go over and talk to Catherine, who I know you guys are just gonna love, So let's go do it. Anybody who has followed me for a long time is gonna be like, this is a no brainer episode. I'm so excited because this week I am joined by Katherine Hurley, who is one of the founders of Wags and Walks, which is a huge rescue organization for animals, and I'm just so excited to have this conversation. Catherine. Thank you for joining me. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm great, I'm so excited to be here. Thank you for having us and highlighting our work.
Speaker 2: Yeah of course. Okay, so give me kind of the backstory. How did Wags and Walks get started? Why did it it started? You know, I'm super familiar with a lot of rescues in shelter work, but I know this is not a very common thing that people know about. So break it down for us in like elementary terms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Wagsmolk specifically was founded. Gosh, it's pushing fifteen years now, which feels insane by our founder Leslie Bragg.
Speaker 1: She did not.
Speaker 3: I'm sure she would say this herself for see herself getting into this field per se. When she was growing up, she was like really successful in pharmaceutical sales, but she met a pit bull, and I feel like that's like everyone's kind of trajectory, you know, when they find the dog that they really fall in love with. And she decided to you know, really take it ten steps further, and she realized what was going on in shelters.
Speaker 1: She moved from New York to la and started.
Speaker 3: Visiting, getting involved and kind of understanding the footprint of like what is really the crisis going on? Why are so many dogs being euthanized? And decided she wanted to do something about it. So she started Wags out of her garage again Agent one story, Famous last Words, and it kind of really just grew organically from there. She got a really great group of people together that were interested in helping her grow her mission. And that's really, you know, the birthplace of Wags and Walks in La. We And then I met her when I was really early twenties. I from Michigan and knew that I wanted to get involved in animal welfare. And I spent about five years at the La branch and watched it grow again from her garage to their very own adoption center, and then I moved to Nashville six years ago where we started the Wags and Hawks Nashville branch. So a really organic kind of way of it growing, which I feel like is the best way to make, you know, the greatest impact when you really believe in what you're doing, and then you're surrounding yourself, you know, with the community that wants to help, and really at the root cause of this, you know, comes down to overpopulation and lack of education, awareness and access. And we are kind of at every at all of those routes trying to address it as best as we can. And you know, we save thousands of dogs each and every year and continue to grow our programs.
Speaker 2: And I want to get into that, especially those reasons and why we're here, why this is happening, especially now this it feels like from an outsider's perspective, that we are in a crisis unlike anything we've ever seen before. For you, though, what was the reason why you wanted to get into this and then come to a different city and start another version kind of this organization?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I really was so inspired by my entire experience in la and under Leslie. I think I was told very frequently like how will you really make this your job?
Speaker 1: Like rescuing dogs.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people, you know, I get told all the time, Oh, I just I wish I had your job.
Speaker 1: I wish I had your job. And I'm like, it depends on the day, you know.
Speaker 3: I think that people envision it being like rolling around with puppies, and it's really anything anything but Unfortunately, but I grew up in Michigan. I my parents had breeder dogs. Going to a breeder was like all that I certainly knew growing up, like white, little fluffy poodles and whatnot, which I still old very near and dear to my heart. However, I started visiting some shelters for a school project and I met a pit bull and I thought it was the coolest looking dog I'd ever seen, just like a big chonky head and like these like little hamsammies, and I just I was enamored. And it was he was so wiggly and so excited to be around me. It was just like this immediate like I like you, you like me? Like we're good here, and my parents weren't anti pitbull per se, but it was definitely met with like a lot of hesitation. And at that point I had not come into contact with like the pitfull bias or discrimination, so it's really confusing to me. And that just opened up a whole can of worms. And I was like, Oh, this is very My personality is like you say that you don't like this, I'm gonna like root for the underdog. I'm a Troit Lions fan, you know, like I always just the underdog. So I really from high school on I decided I wanted to work in animal welfare and advocate for pit bulls. So when I moved to LA, I had really studied a lot of organizations and I was like, who is doing the work, Who's representing dogs that need it most but also making it, for lack of a better term, like cool. I think shelter dogs really had this stigma of like old discarded, something's wrong with them, and that is just not at all what's going on in shelters, And I felt like wags just had this really fresh, fun perspective that it does not need to always be a Sarah McLaughlin commercial you can find your best friend, and when you make it, I think more.
Speaker 1: Digestible that way.
Speaker 3: I think it makes it feel for a person who's not super tied into animal welfare, like we have course, I'll rescue my dog, and I think you have to make that feel more obtainable to them than like this big scary shelter in the metal bars and dogs looking scared in kennels. So I just like followed Leslie around for months. Still, she eventually hired me, and yeah, I mean I've I've certainly made it my whole life. And in regards to Nashville, my husband works in music, so I was actually like devastated to leave. I had a great group of friends in LA. He was over it, you know, he worked in the music industry and was like, I'd rather kind of settle it into a little bit more of a sustainable culture. And I was working remotely for LA and he has me my dog's playing in the background.
Speaker 2: That's the most accurate part of this is.
Speaker 1: Seriously, this makes sense.
Speaker 3: Two pipples playing on a couch, ex.
Speaker 1: Pacha all.
Speaker 3: That. I basically I did the exact same thing Leslie did, and I started to get involved in shelters here and see what was going on in Nashville, in particular, in the South, and in particular there was a massive underrepresentation of rescues. So I kind of pitched it to her and said, hey, can I start my own branch And she was like, I support you from a pop far and but you know, it's really boots on the ground when you talk about like building a community and finding resources and whatnot. And we turned five this past year, and in twenty twenty four, the national branch saved fourteen hundred dogs LA about the same and we've been just kind of cruising.
Speaker 2: All you know. I do want to talk about that stereotype of rescue animals. And I love I just love your numbers. I follow wags and walks on Somedia, so I always see the numbers, and I always see the work that you guys are doing. And I think the thing that's so alarming to me, like I look at my dog, Remy, who has this cute, little fluffy teddy bear, and every time I say she's a rescue dog, people are shocked, like there's no way she's a I'm like, yes, you can find any breed that you really want in a shelter. Unfortunately, I wish that wasn't the case. But there's this huge stereotype associated with shelters and rescue animals. So can you speak on that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you said it really well in the way that I think that most people think they're seniors, or they've bitten somebody, or they have behavioral problems, medical problems. And you know, while certainly that is that is a portion of any shelter population, it is not the vast majority by any stretch. Stats kind of go back and forth, but like at this point, the average age of a shelter dog is under a year, So then you think about what that scale of Like, it's because there's so many litters of puppies that are unwanted that are dumped, whether that's accidental litters, backyard breeders, hoarding cases. I mean, it runs the whole spectrum. So you know, just at least from my experience, when we're going to shelters, it is tons of puppies, like I said, tons of small dogs, tons that we call them the fluffies, fluffies galore. My joke lately is like doodles grow on trees and That's the thing is like you can want whatever dog you want, Like that's okay, you just have to be patient enough and willing to understand that when hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dogs are being euthanized and you say that you care about animals and you care about the animal welfare of dogs and the quality of life, then you have to hold that at the front of like what matters to you and then find that dog and a rescue And you know, I've had tons of friends, but I want a doodle. It's like I'll, well, I'll find you.
Speaker 1: A doodle, like maybe tomorrow.
Speaker 3: So even when I say be patient, I'm not talking years or anything like that. Like once you kind of know what you want, and even that, it's like make sure that you're finding dogs that match your lifestyle versus what you idolize in your head or think a dog is going to be. Assuming personalities, uh, and traits don't do anyone, you know, any good deal. So it's like learning about that dog, especially if you're looking to adopt an adult, like be open and find a rescue that you trust that's going to be forthcoming about you know their personality and how they've been doing in a foster home. That's what's great about Wags. You know, most of our dogs spend a decent amount of time in foster home, so we can tell you, hey, this is how they're doing in the crate, or their body schedule, or their socialization. This dog may or may not be great in an apartment. This dog, you know, may or not be great with kids. And as long as you're trans parents, so is the rescue then like you can make, you know, incredibly wonderful matches. What I just what I think Wags sayes really well. But yeah, I mean, like you said, it's this this year alone, We've had Frenchies, doodles, your keys. I just had a whole little of Schnauzer puppies. It's like it's it's it's sad, like you said, and I wish that wasn't the case, but it is the reality. And so we're doing our best to kind of make sure that we're doing our due diligence on behalf of the dogs in shelters to accurately represent what's going on, you know.
Speaker 2: And there's a few things you said in there that I definitely want to bring light to. I'm I'm a huge advocate. Anytime somebody looks at me and they says I would like to get an animal, I'm like, please foster. Foster. You know why, because you may find a dog that you didn't even realize you want it. That is how you can understand personalities. You can fall in love with a breed that you didn't even know existed. Foster as you also to understand the responsibility of an animal without the commitment and you're still saving its life. So I'm a huge advocate for that until like if you have any questions of like what does this mean before you just all of a sudden have a puppy in your lap and you're like this is great for a year and now I'm over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I think, you know, especially like adults coming into their own and wanting their first pet, I think that it's romanticized a lot of like what we had as kids. And I recently had a conversation with a friend who like wanted a Begele and I was like, right, but you grew up on a farm and now you live in like a high rise, so like in your parents realistic really right, like they took care of said beagle who got access to outside whenever they wanted. Who if they were barking their heads off, was fine. You know, beagles historically are lovely, but they're vocal, they're hawn dogs, they're little hot dogs. They've got that you know, sweet little little howl. So yes, I think fostering, especially because at least with at Wags, you know, we provide all the supplies so it's cost free, and to make it feel more digestible to people, we just say it's a two week commitment. So I think when people hear fostering, they're like, well, how long am I going to have this dog in my house?
Speaker 1: And what if?
Speaker 3: And what if and what if? And we have answers to all of those questions. You know, we have a medical line that you can text and call, we have a behavior and training line. At the end of the day, we want the dogs to be safe and a good fit. We want the people to feel that way, so it's in no one's best interest to make a bad match. So we'll be as transparent as possible and give the people the support that they need to help. You know, the dog's transition, which is really key in the success of all of it and to your point, just just being open to the dogs' personalities and judging them based off of what they're showing you. And I think that's how you get that's how we adopt out so many pities, because it's like it's just fostering, it's just.
Speaker 1: Take your home, you know.
Speaker 3: And I can't tell you how many people we've had foster failed. They are like I never have even really met a pit and I did not expect to experience this. And those are the stories that really, you know, can can fill up your tank in terms of like it's obviously a hard industry to work in sometimes and being able to see, you know, we have this one story of this dog who had he was burned and was left in an elevator and it was just all the horrible things you can think of. And he is like one hundred plus pounds, just like a big old boy, and he lives with six children and in a really sweet neighborhood where I think, you know, a lot of people probably looked at him like what are they doing?
Speaker 1: Was that dog?
Speaker 3: And that family has just done a really amazing job advocating for him and his breed, and yeah, it's really really special.
Speaker 2: And because we're talking about this because right after I do want to, I really would love to talk about the shelter crisis because I as much as we highlight the good and all of the amazing things, there is a very and horrible side of this that I want people to recognize, just for the emphasis of how important this is. Yeah, but I do also the I think another thing that's so important when you were looking at rescue animals. I remember this when I was volunteering out of shelter because I would always convey this information. It was the three day, three weeks, three months rule. Can you share that with everybody? What that means?
Speaker 1: We love the three three three heroags.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so three days, three weeks, three months, and that really talks about the expectations of a dog coming into your home and what those transitional periods look like.
Speaker 1: So how I explain it.
Speaker 3: To people that aren't in this world often is by the time a dog is coming to you, there is usually a minimum of four to five transitions. So you have step one, where was this dog before the shelter? We don't know in someone's house, how long were you astray? At this point, most dogs are entering shelters as stray because they're so backed up they.
Speaker 1: Won't take owner surrenders.
Speaker 3: So then what happens then people dump them, so wherever they were before, and that dog might have then been in multiple homes before that bounced around on Craigslist like you know, you never know, and then you're gonna be in the shelter. So that's drop number two. How long were you in that shelter? How stressful was that shelter? So you think about dogs who did come from families and how horribly terrifying it must be to have lived in someone's house for however long, and now you're in a kennel. For this range is obviously for like the staffing of shelters, but across the board, shelters are incredibly understaffed and underfunded.
Speaker 1: So like here in.
Speaker 3: Nashville and LA, honestly, dogs are maybe let out once a day, so like you're spending twenty three plus hours in a kennel, and imagine doing that as a human, right, like you'd go insane. Like they call it solitary confinement for a reason, and people lose it. And then so after the shelter, then you're going to at least with a rescue. Now you're going to the rescue. Does that rescue have a facility? A lot of them do yes. So even for us, even if we're gonna send that dog to shelter, they still have to then spend a couple of days with us at the building. Then they're going to a foster, and then they're going to you. But even then they might have gone through two foster homes because they took a couple months to get adopted. They might have been through four foster homes because maybe, you know, if they had separation anxiety and they took a couple fosters to like work through it, so by the time they're landing and what it should be and hopefully is their forever home, they've been through it. They have absolutely no consistency, They have no routine, and they don't even know who you are. Right Like, you're like, oh my god, I love you so much, You're my forever dog, You're my little baby, and I want to take care of you.
Speaker 1: And they're like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, have no relationship with you whatsoever. So that three days we really really really try to hone in on, keep their world small, do very routine things do not bring them new places.
Speaker 1: Get to know.
Speaker 3: Your house, your schedule, your block, or your backyard, whoever is going to live in that house and be that nuclear family is really all that dog should be exposed to. You know, people want to go bring their dogs over to doggie play dates with the new friends, like absolutely not. This is setting nobody up for a success. And then that really does extend to most of that three weeks, so you know, going on some walks, going you know, and exploring a little bit more shore, but focusing on what is that routine giving them that stability. You know, we promote things like hand feeding to like build that relationships with your dogs.
Speaker 1: Great time.
Speaker 3: People are the hot it's a hot take sometimes which doesn't make any sense to me. Providing a crate for a dog is one of the best things that you can do for them because it provides a safe space. It's like again, I say, think about coming home from a long day.
Speaker 1: What do you want to do.
Speaker 3: I want to take a shower, and you want to get into bed and you want to feel like your comfort, Like that is their create If you are creating that space for them, and then the more and more they're they're coming into their own. You are going to see new personality things. You might see some regressions, right Like maybe they were terrified the first three three days or week and now they're like, oh wait, this is kind of fun, and keeping that consistency is what will help through kind of that adjustment period. And then that takes you kind of to your three month three month mark of really kind of seeing who is my dog. We've built this relationship. They trust me to not put them in bad situations. I trust this dog too, write like, I can trust you too. If you don't want to create your dog's long term I can trust you to, you know, be outside at the grocery store, or I can trust you to, you know, go on a hike with me and my friend and their dog and do a proper introduction. You know, we are not fans of dog parks. Again, maybe a little bit of a hot take, but like it just doesn't it's more for the people realistically that it is for the dogs. When we're talking about trying to keep everybody safe and socialize them in a way that won't have repercusions down the line.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we preach it.
Speaker 3: It's on all of our adoption room walls and it works like it works, It works, it works.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny. I've had experience as a foster in multiple different variations. My friends and I in college were fosters for twenty two different dogs collectively because we knew we were college girls, and we were like, we can't own a dog, but we can help some animals. So US four took on the responsibility one at a time and we helped so many dogs and that was a cool experience. And then into my adult life, I've fostered with rescues here in town and had a variety of different experiences and different dogs that have come in and some will adjust quickly, some will adjust in weeks. Some come in and have all kinds of medical things that they need time before they can get adopted out, and you have to be that safe space for them. I'm really glad that you shared that, and also I know you guys do all dogs. But one of the foster situations that I had is my now cat Hazel, which it's on all fronts here right. So I had been looking for a Siamese. That's what I wanted, that's what I grew up with, and I just had told the Nashville Humane here in town, a guy that I knew that worked there. I was like, if if one ever comes in, let me know and I'll do a foster situation because I have zero idea if my dog is gonna even like this situation. Yeah, And sure enough, like a week later, he goes, we just took in thirty cats from one hundred and thirty cat hoarding situation. One of them's a Siamese. I'm like, cool, I'll come grab her and brought her in for for two months, I fostered her and she stayed under the bed of one room. She stayed in there the whole time, just unsure of what anything was. And it wasn't even until about three weeks that I finally allowed my dog to go in there to see if they would even get along. Yeah, And when they did, it was like a both of them were like, what is happening for you? And then she became obviously a foster Phille She's now mine. But I didn't also even find out how old she was until the day of her adoption. They're like, she's eight years old. I'm like, well, I'm lady in love with her. So it is what it is.
Speaker 3: What it is. Sign me up, sign the papers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So all that to say, there are so many variations of that, and I've seen so many of them on a personal level. So all the things that you're talking about I can test to and verify as just a normal human being, not even somebody who's involved in a rescue. Now turning to that really big crisis that we are in right now, Yeah, I've seen it. I mean I'm on so many different Facebook pages. It's all over my feeds of just the abandonment that's happening, the breeder crisis, the lack of resources, everything, what is going on right now, like this huge crisis that is happening, And what are some things that people, just a normal person like me can do to help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's certainly overwhelming.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I've been doing this since I got out of college, so like twelve years, and there was a really short window before COVID where like we saw some numbers improving and COVID just took us back so far. You know, there are so many different factors on the why behind it. You know, I think a lot of it is like people are struggling financially, so you have a whole sect of people that like probably would keep their dogs, but feel like their back is against the wall. And then because there's like a lack of resources to meet them, that's where you see abandonment, dogs being dumped. I mean just the amount of dogs are like literally like left in apartments because people are like I'm moving, the amount of emails I get and it's hard, right to balance empathy for people because you have to have it, Because you don't, you will be jaded and at the end of the day, like we have to work together to get through the problems. But then on the other hand, you get some of these emails or you see these scenarios and you're like how how like how is this what the decision that you made, like to literally lock the door leave and like your dog is still inside and who did you think was going to help you? And that's not even going into the realm of abuse and the horrible scenarios that can also be the case of it. So as a rescue, it's like you've got this reason and this reason and this reason, so it's like, okay.
Speaker 1: Well what can we do?
Speaker 3: You know, So going into shelters, it's and again you it's hard because you want to balance the ge, like I said earlier the Sarah Malachlin commercial, and not trying to be that, but also trying to be very honest of what's going on. Is like I go into shelters every single week and I see dogs marked up on their kennels, and I'm like, you're dying today, And it does not matter how many dogs that we can try and save every single week, there's the next there's going to be dogs that have to be euthanized. And there's a massive misconception surrounding shelters and high kill shelters and always that to kill shelter. And when you have a shelter that is one hundred and fifty kennels and one hundred and ninety dogs come in, what do you think is going to happen? You know? So I try to tell people it's at the end of the day, it's a community problem. And you cannot blame shelter workers who do what you and I can't even do, Like I couldn't show up to work every day and take care of dogs that are there for whatever rhyme or reason and then euthanize them because no one wants them. Like that is a gut wrenching pill to have to swallow and then go up and do it the next day.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, I'm so thankful.
Speaker 3: To people that work in shelters because at least being on the rescue side, we lose dogs. I have to see really sad things. I have to be a part of really sad things. But I still get to go I'm helping. I'm making a difference. They of course are as well. But when then you're having to be the one that, like, is the last person to see a healthy dog get put to sleep?
Speaker 1: I mean I I don't.
Speaker 3: It's hard to envision, you know, a more heart wrenching job. So they're a very real crisis going on that like, and it's not it's not just the old dogs. It's not dogs of behavior problems. We have taken in so many puppies this year that they're like no one wants them. It's a litter of black puppies, Like they're gonna get euthanized. Can you take them today? And I think people think that's like clickbait or like fake information, and it is not in LA in the South, Uh, you know, Tennessee's horrible Texas is horrible. It's everywhere and it's it's brutal. You know, we've seen domestic violence went up in COVID, so did animal abuse, hoarding. You know, you have people struggling financially, mental health, all of it. I mean, we went to so many hoarding cases this year, properties where I'm like, there's literally just dead dogs just on the ground, and you disassociate in the moment, but I mean, like that's something that like that stays with you as a person, and so I say to my husband all the time, but if they had to go through it and we had to see it, it is my job to make sure people hear it, because I think then if you don't, it's very easy to justify buying your dog or breeding your dog, or you know, it's like if it's a supply and demand and you're somebody that's choosing to financially benefit off of the breeding of animals knowing there's an overpopulation issue, I think that at that point it becomes a morality question. How you sit on that side of it or how you value it is I guess very personal decision, but certainly from where I'm sitting, I'm like I don't know how someone does that and can go to bed feeling good about themselves.
Speaker 2: You know, I often tell people when especially like the conversation of abandonment comes up, it's it's obviously a thing that is a very controversial to say. You know, I there's not a lot of excuses that I believe in to abandon your animal. There's really not to me. And I know that's a really strong opinion. And I also am somebody who is a I am an empathy, like huge empathy. My heart is as big as it can possibly get. But there are so many ways to go about that, and there are so many ways to do something then abandoning or knowing that when you're surrendering your animal to a shelter, it is going to die. And one of my strongest things that I say that often makes people, you know, stop kind of in their tracks, is you won't want to abandon your animal or surrender them or get a breeder dog. If you have watched an animal happy getting out of their shelter, walking thinking they're about to have the best day ever, and they're walking into a room and they don't come out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's horrible.
Speaker 2: It Once you have ever experienced that or witnessed that nothing will ever make sense to you in the way of abandonment. And so what you're saying, I'm you know, it's it's so important to hear. Is it hard to hear? And is it it makes me want to, you know, cry and and sit in a corner and not do anything. But it's also why I wanted to have this conversation because I think it's really easy to look the other way, incredibly, and especially when we're you know, we live in a world of social media, and aesthetics are important to people, and they think I need this animal or I need to have this look, and I'm like, guys, these are living beings. Just because they can't talk and they don't look like us, it doesn't mean we should be treating them this way just because of an aesthetic. And so thank you for sharing. And I also know that's hard. That's also hard to put yourself in a place to constantly be sharing something that is so emotional and so dark when all you want to do is help every single one. So thank you for that, and thank you for the work that you're doing. So looking at someone like me or the people that are listening what are the most beneficial ways that we can help an organization like yours or shelters or anything, or just get involved in our community. Even like give me some basic levels, the easiest ways, and then maybe some more advance if people really want to dive deep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think on the most basic level, I think it's having conversations, and it's doing your own research and being curious about what's going on. If you've purchased your dog and you maybe don't want to purchase your second dog, or you've got a little bit of guilt about purchasing your first dog, and so you just want to pretend like it doesn't exist or it didn't happen. Lot of friends that have bought their dogs that I've had incredibly meaningful conversations with that I know that they now think of it differently, So like it's it's never too late kind of a thing to be an advocate. And just because you maybe bought a dog does not mean that you can't now be a voice. It is not one or the other. I will take anyone at any time that is willing to kind of like come to the other side of animal rescue and to make it, you know, not a judgmental place. So it's it's having conversations, being curious, and then I think you know if that, if that speaks to you, it's then then you be that boy. So that's getting involved in social media is like truly the most impactful way.
Speaker 1: It's how Wags grew.
Speaker 3: I mean like when I started here, I was just like, I'm going to make this Instagram handle and pull my friends to follow it, and you know, here we are five years later with you know, a ton of people in that community. So when you share things on social media, when you see a dog that needs a home or a fundraiser, I mean that one button spend. Collectively, everyone spends I think too much time on their phone. But if you're gonna spend time on your phone, like do it, you know, supporting you know, voices and rescues and shelters that that need the.
Speaker 1: Need the word spread.
Speaker 3: And then if you are so inclined, I think that you know, the three kind of areas are volunteerism, fostering, which.
Speaker 1: Go kind of hand in hand.
Speaker 3: But I think for people who aren't interested in fostering, there's still just an entire world of volunteering, whether it's events, or transporting dogs that we have that you can you can come volunteer and get hands on with the dogs fostering. Like I said, we talked about adopting obviously, so when you are in the market for getting your first dog, second dog, whatever, making sure that you're adopting and then donating. You know, I think I tell people a lot that I think people think, well, what's five bucks or what's ten bucks?
Speaker 1: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: It adds up, especially like speaking from WHA being like so grassroots. We had one of our most like recent fundraisers. We needed to raise like seven thousand, seven thousand dollars for like her emergency hospitalization, her surgery, et cetera. And then I ended up dividing to seven thousand we raised by the amount of donors. The average donation was seventeen dollars. So it's like half of those people decided, what's my seventeen dollars, Like I wouldn't have raised enough. You know, have monthly donors for a pop club at ten bucks a month, and you know, I can absolutely appreciate that, Like people are struggling right now, but for the people that you know are still getting you know, our Starbucks and our fancy coffees and whatnot. That like what's ten bucks a month? You know, like when all of that adds up to making a true impact, it goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Thank you for sharing that. You know, there was a there's a saying, and I'll pas say it at the end of this again to whenever I'm sharing stuff on rescue animals or dogs or trying to get animals adopt. Did one of my things that I always write and I don't even know where I saw it. I'm sure it was on a rescue or shelter somewhere, but it was if you adopt. If you can't adopt, foster, if you can't foster, volunteer. If you can't volunteer, then donate. If you can't donate, then share, like there's always something you can be doing. And so I'll leave that there with what you just shared, So thank you. I also want to talk about it's happening so hard, and I know that it's also probably really difficult for you to see. And I'm sure that you guys are involved the wildfires out in California, and I have so much empathy for everybody that is going through this. I also have so much empathy for the animals and the wildlife and how drastically everything is being impacted out there. So are you guys doing stuff to involve that that maybe other people can also help in that way, like what's going on out there? Because you guys do have the Los Angeles Wags and walks.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's been horrible being in Nashville and having lived there and having friends and one of our own WAG staff members lost her home and she's like weeks away from giving birth and has little ones and it's it's overwhelming. But I think this is what like what kind of Wags is about. It's just like when things go crazy, I think we go, okay, like how can we help? I call it controlled fury. It's like when just things are going crazy, how can we like hone in and like do what we do best, so we didn't want to be adding to the noise, like right when it started. It's like, Okay, let's like figure out which large organizations are like getting boots on the ground, where can we fit in and like be the most impactful. So one is obviously saving dogs. So in the last week they have saved over sixty five dogs. They're going to different shelters every single day, and kind of what's happening with the wildfire. There's so many displaced animals that the shelters want to create space for them to be reunited.
Speaker 1: With their families.
Speaker 3: And while it might be easy to assume, oh well, that should not take that long, a like dogs have traveled. There's so many shelters in LA. If the dog is not microchip, it's like figuring out where that dog is. And then even if they found out where their dog is, do they have somewhere to bring the dog back to. We know how many, like you know, landlords, leasing companies do not allow for tests, which I've seen some like lifting their restrictions and things like that, especially for short term rentals for you know, to be able to accommodate families that have pets. So shelters are giving people longer to claim their dogs. I think most shelters have been like twenty one days. That is a death sentence for the dogs that have already been there. Those are dogs we already know don't have homes. So WAGS is going to those shelters. The first day we got there, we met the longest term resident and they're like yep, you're coming with us, get in the van. So in some ways it's been so impactful for the dogs that have been there for so long because I think rescues are going, okay, like this is this is where we are actually needed. You know, it's not taking the cute, little fluffy dog, it's who needs it and who can we help, So going to tons of shelters for the rest of this week, they would be going, and they're in communication daily with like who needs the most help. Two is their supply drive. Though we knew we hey, we have a building, our building, a stake, we've got the room, it exploded, and they have so much supplies. So at this point we're kind of distributing it two different ways. So one is like show up tour at option center. It Option center is in West LA. It's like no questions asked, like take what you need. It's obviously like you know, pet supplies, but there's cat and dogs and I honestly probably some other smaller animals, rabbits, things like that.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 3: If you need supplies, show up, if you know people tell people to go there. We're open every single day. And then we're also having we have a sign up sheet so people can say, hey, I need supplies, I can't come to you, and then we have volunteers driving the supplies. We have plenty of volunteers and plenty of drivers. So same thing simple as just fill out this quick form, let us know what you need, be specific because we probably have it and we'll.
Speaker 1: Get it to you.
Speaker 3: And then three is our grand program that we've just launched. We've never done anything like this. I'm super proud of the team for being as creative as possible. I think WAGS has such trust in the community that when people are donating their money to our wild Life Wildlife, our wildfire Fund, we are trusted to make make the most of their donations. And we had in enormous amount of support or this fund that we were like, Okay, yes, we've saved sixty five dogs. We're doing all the supply driver, we're doing all this work, but at the end of the day, like this, these dollars should go as far as they can, and we want to make sure that we're not just keeping that for our own dogs outside of what's going on right now, So we're actually giving away funding to both families and other animal well for organizations. So we are starting with twenty thousand dollars of that we're giving away of funds, but we're having other partners show interest in this, so the more matches we can get to this, the more that we can give away. It's a really simple process. It's on our website. You have to just say if you're an individual, if you're applying on behalf of somebody else, or if you're an animal weal for organization and what you're seeking funding for. So this could be boarding and the costs of Hey, I got to go get my dog in the shelter, or I need to go say with family and I need to put my pet and boarding right now, we're an animal for organization and we had damage to our building, or hey I just need costs of betinary care because my pet was injured. There's so many dogs who have had burns, who got hit by cars, who you know, the whole runs, the whole gamut. So we are processing applications pretty much as we speak and trying to get those funds distributed.
Speaker 1: As soon as possible.
Speaker 3: And all of these programs right now are ongoing. So as long as we're receiving a support and we're seeing the need. We're gonna keep on doing our best to help as many people and dogs as we can.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's amazing what you guys are doing, not just you know, in Nashville, in LA and with the wildfires, but just across the board, and the fact that you guys are constantly trying to find new ways to do so. Like, I'm sure that there are people that tell you often, but I want to be another one who just says thank you, like thank you for everything you're doing, thank you for who you are as a person who wants to do this and do that work. I think it's really special and the stuff that you're doing doesn't go unnoticed, especially to somebody like me. So just thanks to you, your whole team, everyone who's doing all of that, and you know, you guys share this. Hopefully they can get even more donations and stuff to help those grants and help more families and stuff. Because I've seen so many videos and I you know, I keep watching them waiting for ways to help, and now we have one, and this is a trusted way to help. So let's do it, and let's all go in together and find ways to help these families and their pets. So thank you and thank you for coming on like to talk about all of this, and again just being who you are so.
Speaker 3: Likewise, and you know, I think that I am not in your position to give, you know, people the opportunity to talk about what they're doing. So your work is super important and I appreciate you reaching out and wanting to highlight the cause in and of itself and also what's going on in LA or anyone that does listen to this and wants to get involved. I think I mentioned this, but everything can be found at wags and walks dot org. It's all across the banners, whether you are looking for the supply information or the grants. And also we're super active on social waxmox waxmox Nashville and our social team is they're working over.
Speaker 1: Time right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do amazing stuff. That's how I always see what you guys are up to. I you know, I follow it myself and I've been fortunate to help you guys in a lot of different ways and I will continue to do so. Just again because of the work that you guys are doing is amazing. So and also if you know you're like I really want to get involved locally, there's so many wonderful organizations like Wags and Walks. If you don't live in Nashville and you don't live in LA, there are rescue groups everywhere. You can search on Facebook and say rescue group, and I promise you you will find one. So if this is you know you want to get really hands on involved locally, there's that way too. So again, thank you Catherine, thanks for being here and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: I just want to think all of you guys too, because if you've followed me on instead and now you listen to this podcast, you guys also support this work. You guys cheer me on in this and you guys help support and share. And I've seen so much social engagement over animals I've posted and rescue stories. So thank you, guys, and thank you to all the people out there who are big advocates also for Adopt Don't Shop. I hope you enjoyed this episode, and if you know you're new to this world, then I welcome you wholeheartedly and I'm really glad that you're here. So again, go check out Wags and Walks dot org if you want to help locally just in general with rescue or if you want to help with what's happening in the wildfires out in California. But even more than that, I encourage you once again, please adopt. And if you can't adopt, foster, and if you can't foster, then volunteer. And if you can't volunteer, then donate. And if you can't donate, then share on social media. There is always a way that you're able to help in this space, and more importantly, you're needed in this help. These animals need us. We are their voice and we have domesticated these animals, so it is up to us to help through this crisis as a community across the entire country. And I think we can do it. And you know, one day, I hope that I can pull an Elwoods and be on the doorstep of legalizing stricter breeding laws and other ways to help animals. But until then, I'm going to keep doing this and thank you for allowing me to do so.