Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rut Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the whitetail woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts, case Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: It's a scorture for late October. But don't worry everyone, the weather is turning. A cold front happens to be on the way, at least for part of the country.
Speaker 3: The dear going nuts. This is Retfresh. Let's go. What's going on? Everyone?
Speaker 2: Welcome to Refresh Radio, brought to you by First Like here, I'm your host, Casey Smith and Tyler Jones is here and we are doing the thing.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: We are in a motail hotel, holiday inn deer hunt, having the time of our lives, eating peanut butter and jellies and chasing deer around.
Speaker 4: Tyler yide jokes.
Speaker 3: We are, man, That's all we do around here.
Speaker 2: If you don't laugh, just it's not because it's not funny, just because you're not a part of it. So the word on the street is that better deer hunting is close on the horizon.
Speaker 3: Do you believe it. No, Okay, I don't.
Speaker 4: That's where you're at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. And this is a neat thing.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna hear about this in a little bit from from the guests today, guys. But there's a weird thing that's going on right now in the country of deer hunting, and it's there's regionality to conditions, and we're gonna spread it out a little bit and talk to some different people in different parts of the country.
Speaker 3: But some of the country is really excited about a coal front.
Speaker 2: Other parts of the country, like where we are, it's blazing hot, Tyler.
Speaker 3: If you're in a blazing hot place, what do you do?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'd probably either check out some water or I would hunt like I did this morning when it was cooler weather than when I do in the evening. When I did in the evening, which was last night, where I did not see a deer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw a buck last night, but I didn't see one this morning. How far did that buck move in daylight last night? In so in shooting light I saw this deer. I think it was an hour and twenty minutes before the end of legal shooting light. The deer came by my stand ten minutes after legal shooting loight so, and he was how far away he was eighty two one hundred yards.
Speaker 3: When I first saw him.
Speaker 2: So now there's a chance he lays like a cormile the other way and came back. Okay, but that's highly unlikely. He moved less than sixty yards in the daylight. Yeah, that's over an hour and a half pretty much.
Speaker 4: If the wind ain't blowing pretty strong, it's gonna be hard to set up within sixty yards of that.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem is if I don't known where he was, then I could have set up well, maybe in a more advantageous spot. At least I wouldn't have been able to get a lot closer, But maybe I could have gotten a spot where I would have had a shot at him at least before the clock turned to no longer legal.
Speaker 3: But because it was a public.
Speaker 2: Land hanging hunt where I was just guessing and putting together my best thoughts on map scouting and this and that. Yeah, we saw the deer stand up and rub a tree for ten minutes, but we didn't know he was there until he did that, right, And sometimes that's what you deal with.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a high chance he was just laying right there until he stood up. Huh, because they tend to do that when they stand up, start rubbing stuff, looking on branches and stuff.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. Your first piece of advice was to find some water. Are you gonna listen to that yourself for the evening? Uh?
Speaker 4: Huh? Man, that's I'm so confused and not confused. I'm so far from having a plan for this evening. There's this thing that most humans will understand and commiserate with on me or for me or with me or how have you said? That? This is this thing called work, And we've been doing it in this midday. In fact, I have a pretty good idea where a shooter buck is betted and I have not been able to go glass and try to stalk in and shoot this buck because of the hours of work we've been putting in doing stuff that these people listening are going to listen to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if you enjoy Reugh Fresh, just remember Tyler Jones is not killing a deer just for you right now.
Speaker 4: It's it, man. But hey, you know, I mean sometimes some different types of hunting media are not about killing things.
Speaker 3: So it's right.
Speaker 2: If that deer stays there all day where you think he's betted. Is he going to drink water today?
Speaker 4: Uh? Man, I I would think if he does not eat a per simon, he's probably gonna drink water, because I would during the day you think, though, well, I don't know about that just in this in this next twelve hours or so, maybe I would think there's not enough green stuff around for him to just fully get what he needs out't want.
Speaker 3: It is crispy.
Speaker 2: So where we're at in the country, it would seem that there was a light frost which has killed a lot of the forbes, a lot of the herbaceous growth.
Speaker 3: And you pair that with not.
Speaker 2: Extreme drought, but it's drought. It's drier than it should be. Then you end up with deer that are going to be looking for something to drink.
Speaker 4: I think I wish we had about five more cameras right now. We could put some on some water, more stuff like that.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know, we we could. We could use a lot of cameras right now this time of the year. It'd be nice to have the ones we've got out already out and then another five more so so we want to send us some cameras, it'd be great, Uh, but I I wish we did because I would put some on water sources. And then I have a couple of fence crossing that I'd like to have some some cameras on as well. Right now.
Speaker 3: Interesting because I had one of those fences. What are those fences separating from it's separating?
Speaker 4: This is a good question because I don't know fully, but it would seem that they're separating food from betting. But I don't know what the food is. And that's that's the most confusing part of this.
Speaker 3: I've seen. Here's the thing I've seen.
Speaker 2: I've seen deer grazing, which I know some just ahead scientists are going to be like.
Speaker 3: A dotal grades. Well I get that. I get it.
Speaker 2: They're browsers and they're designed to reach in and grab the thing they want. When you see a deer with its head down on the ground, back and forth, deer is still grazing, even though it's not designed to do it, you know as efficients So it's it's eating something off the ground. It's probably not a narrow leafed grass, right, but there's something down there. But I guess what I'm trying to tell you I'm kind of missing the point, so I can make my own I got my own agenda here, I guess I'd.
Speaker 3: Say, but.
Speaker 2: I've seen deer grazing two different times in the mornings, and they're just covering ground, doing figure eights and all this stuff, just in like.
Speaker 4: There's something in a more open grassland that we don't see that they're eating. Yeah, and I would assume that, I know, walking in this morning, there was d on what all the stuff that I was.
Speaker 3: Walking I've wanted.
Speaker 2: This sounds silly, so you don't ask it, but like, what are the chances they're like just licking up.
Speaker 4: I feel like they're probably eating something but it but having DO on it makes it more palatable, Yeah, palatable or preferential or whatever you know. Like, so there's there's a chance that the reason they've got their head down in the mornings is because whatever they're eating needs to be something that has DO on it so they can get water consumed.
Speaker 2: To tell you this, Tyler Jones, if I go too many more days without having a bucking range, I'm gonna be stalking one of those dos with their head down.
Speaker 4: You had a bucking range last night.
Speaker 3: Well it depends on whose range. Oh you mean when he was it was dark.
Speaker 6: We are not.
Speaker 3: We're not quite at the Headland Buck stage yet. I hope never be there again.
Speaker 2: Okay, so uh yeah, we're from all legal only activities here right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well they're always asking this, but.
Speaker 2: There's bucks around, and I think that that's an encouraging thing for everyone to hear. Maybe you're not seeing them right now, but hopefully the information that you've teamed from Retfresh and then also other podcasts like Marks or like ours the Element podcast, where we share some pretty good information. Uh, you can gain some confidence and know that, like, conditions.
Speaker 3: Might be bad right now, but what do I do when they are good?
Speaker 2: How do I put myself in the best position possible to be able to capitalize on the good weather and the good dates that we have ahead.
Speaker 3: So today we're.
Speaker 2: Going to talk to a couple of guys around the country who have a pretty good idea of what's going on.
Speaker 3: Who are we talking to you, Tyler Man.
Speaker 4: The first guy we've got up is Greg Litzinger. He's gonna be up in the Old Jersey, Uh, the one, the new one. You knew exactly where I was going. We've also got our good friend Drake Lamb. He was out in Iowa and has been and uh and will be and uh. Then we've got Adam Keith in Missouri and Steven Crawford has been into not in the up but see it all sounds like it's like all the up to me, you know what I mean, Like that is a foreign country up the Uh he's in Michigan. So he's got a report for us there.
Speaker 2: Awesome, let's hear what they have to say. I got my buddy Greg Litzinger on here. He's both hunting fiend on Instagram. If you don't follow him, he does some really cool stuff up on the eastern coast. You've been hunting Jersey a little bit New Jersey, as they say, right man, what's going on up there?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: You know it's we had a fantastic cold October until now, so it was pretty nice.
Speaker 4: A lot of deer.
Speaker 6: We're moving on a regular basis, and now it's kind of warmed up. And this week usually as a hot, hot week, but the bucks are definitely moving less from my sightings and from I pulled a couple of camera cars the other day and yesterday actually so there, you know, but it was a great October, so I can't complain.
Speaker 3: That's cool? Are you?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: In this hot weather like this? I know you kind of hunt two different terrains. Do you spend more time in the marsh and more time in the mountains. Whenever it's hot like this, I.
Speaker 6: Usually gravitate towards water. So if I can find like a you know, a stream in the mountains, I don't mind hunting them, you know. Yeah, it helps with your thermals and noise and all the other stuff too.
Speaker 3: How do you pinport it?
Speaker 2: You know, a stream is a big strung out thing, of course, how do you pinpoint a spot on a stream that she knows?
Speaker 3: A gets spot to hunt deer?
Speaker 6: Usually in the mountains, because where it's passable, where the deer can actually cross without doing too much work, because they're inherently lazy like us, you know, how to feel you so.
Speaker 4: They can cross easy.
Speaker 6: They will, you know, find a shallow spot, you know, or a spot where they can you know, it's not as dangerous or treacherous.
Speaker 4: If you will. Greg, what's the acorn cross? Looking? Lack up? There? Not a lot of reds. They were on Reds.
Speaker 6: In September, Reds dropped hard early, which was you.
Speaker 4: Know, and the white beIN kind of eh.
Speaker 6: But the Reds man they were having they've been hamming. They're still hammering Reds. The Reds seemed to be at least from where I've been hunting, Reds are definitely the ticket Reds and permees. Okay, crap ton of percents here like I've never seen. It's been a long time since I've seen this many percentmons.
Speaker 4: Is there a way to target the the you know, when you have so many percimmons, how do you target the right percymetry?
Speaker 6: That is uh, that is a million dollar question right there.
Speaker 4: I was, I was a glass in this field.
Speaker 6: It was like beans had no acorns, so there's a lot of percimmons and they were hitting the beans and I'm watching them, you know, I was like, I'm gonna sit for me three yards away and watch them. One day they'd come out for the beans. Next day they come out where the persimmons were. So it was like and I made a move, and of course, you know it was a wrong move.
Speaker 4: I sat to the persimmons.
Speaker 6: They came out the beans, and then we did that for two or three days, and then the bucks had enough of that and they're like, yeah, something's not right, and that was they've completely vacated the area.
Speaker 2: I know, the central part of the country's supposed to get some decent weather here that's weekend.
Speaker 3: Are y'all going to get that? Or is that East Coach is going to keep you warm?
Speaker 6: We're going to get I mean a temperature spike is going to drop like ten degrees. I don't I don't necessarily call that a cold front. That's more of a temperature drop than a cold in my opinion, but it's I mean, right now it's eighty five degrees. It's hot, so you know, I'll take six out. You know, I think it's going down to like sixty seven or sixty five on Friday.
Speaker 4: So I mean, they're that's a twenty degree spike.
Speaker 6: You're definitely gonna get some deer movement, especially the time year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. You're gonna hunt mornings on that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna try to.
Speaker 6: It's sometimes it's hard getting out of bed.
Speaker 4: You'll know, It's like, man, I was on the evening, you.
Speaker 6: Know, it's like I got I got a little start time in my hands. I can I don't need I had the ability to hunt, you know right now because of my injury, you know, yeah, I can hunt mornings or evening. So lately literally I've just been lazy someone hunting the evenings.
Speaker 3: Okay, So really related to the injury thing.
Speaker 2: I follow your chronicle there on Instagram, right of like what you've been dealing with, and it's, yeah, I appreciate how tough you are, man, But so one of the things is that you're probably having to focus on even getting closer to deer than ever before. Right, So maybe that's the thing that everyone actually wants to do. Right, So, when we're looking at what's going on in the country with it being super hot like this, and and you know, as we're getting closer to the rut and everything, how are you making sure that you're like on the money with where your setups are.
Speaker 6: I was talk to my buddy about this yesterday. This season would like set my injury and like I've done more scouting than hunting because of my limitations, Like some of my spots I need to shoot distance. So now I've had to you know, hunting is this season has been fun, Like I'm more scouting currently than hunting. But it's fun. There's no expectations, you know, I'm not expected to you know, do too much, so I get to just almost be like a kid again.
Speaker 4: It's all new.
Speaker 6: Like I get closed, I sit in the ground, and I made you know, I mean, first three dar I shot, I completely missed. I can tell you, like, uh, the last couple of years, I haven't had many opportunities at deer in general, you know, but this year is like, all right, well, expectations are kind of low. I have limitations, so I'm just going to have fun with it. And I seem to be putting myself in better positions because I'm not expecting much.
Speaker 4: So maybe I'm just reading in.
Speaker 6: The woods differently, or this is you're trusting my instincts more.
Speaker 4: But it's like, hey, I'm.
Speaker 7: Gonna go out here and stay here and fall.
Speaker 6: It's a hot sign to sit in a bucket, you know, and Laurie, I'd have a bucket, and like I'm saying, deer, I'm like, man, this is amazing, Like this is like a you know, outside of an injury, Like I can't complain because I've seen more deer and more good sized bucks than I have in a long time. That's cool, man, of said my expectations, and I'm kind of just just hunting for me, I guess, I guess that is that even a thing to say. Bro, I just get to go out there and have fun. It is what it is, you know. And I got twenty yards. Hey, I've seen a hammer bucket forty yards. I'll tickle to death. I could have killed him if I had a good hand, but I was like, hey, I've seen him, like what I thought was gonna happen work no cameras. Was kind of just like, hey, this is this is exciting.
Speaker 3: That's cool man, Yeah, it's cool. And you put the pieces together like that.
Speaker 2: So thinking about the you know that temperature drop that you got coming up here in the dates that are pushing on closer to the rut. What do you give what you think the buck movement will be like in daylight on a scale of one to ten for the next week.
Speaker 6: Next week, I'm gonna give it a six or seven. I think if you hold tight to betting, dough betting and buck betting and work those scrape lines, I think you're going to have a chance.
Speaker 2: At a deer man that's that's encouraging. I think that's good advice. Those are good spots to be this time of year.
Speaker 4: Greg.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your resilience, man. I hope you stay after it. Don't let that injury get you down too much. Have a great season, guys, you too. All right, we're talking to Drake Lamb. Drake have known you for a few years.
Speaker 4: You're probably one of the more well known camera operators in this entire industry. You've killed some giant deer. You know what's going on in the woods pretty much all the time, it seems like. So you've been in Iowa recently, what's the what if things been like what I mean, tell me the rut is happening, man, I would love to tell you the rut has happened, the deer moving.
Speaker 8: But here in the home state, man, it's been rough the past I mean two weeks, the entire October. Really, we've had one really good cold front there on the about the fifteenth of October they came through and outside of that, man, it's been seventies pushing eighty degrees, you know.
Speaker 4: South winds.
Speaker 8: Just I mean, you boys, like I said earlier, you boys know all about the heat, but it's been it's not been good. So a lot of the deer been pounding green sources, more clover.
Speaker 3: Than turn ups, it seems.
Speaker 8: Water sources have been huge obviously with uh it's been super dry here. I think we just got a tenth this morning and maybe have a four tense coming on Thursday. But outside of that, we've got one rain since we've planted food putts on August first.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's across the country, isn't it. Yeah, it's been brutal up here.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: I think we're four or five inches you know, behind schedule here and no, I mean we've had reports of EHD up here, but not like real bad outbreaks like we've had, you know, in the past in twenty eighteen, nineteen, and twenty twelve. So it's you know, luckily we've gotten through that. It rained all summer long, so it was it was pretty good and then obviously it's just shutting off since then.
Speaker 4: So what's what's the status of the harvest right now? Are they are they? Do they have most of the corn out? Is most of it in? What is it looking like a.
Speaker 8: Lot of the corn is stealing where we're at we're here south Central, a lot of the beans last the last bean fields of late planted beans fields they're getting out right now, and so now they're switching on the corn.
Speaker 3: So that's another thing that.
Speaker 8: We that we that really we really key in on up here is you know, when the corn gets out, that changes up a lot of things. So you know, right now the bucks are shifting around pre rut stuff. We're starting to get a lot of new bucks and a lot of bucks that we've had, you know, in the past that not necessarily don't summer on us that show up, you know for the rut in late seasons. A lot of those bucks are starting to show up right now. But it's still been you know, middle of the night hour, after dark. Have have a couple of mature bucks moving, you know, right before right at sunrise in the morning, so you know, obviously it's cooler then and heading back to bed.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's been it's been.
Speaker 8: Rough waiting on a lot of the corner to get out. I'd say, you know, I'd say we're over fifty percent for sure.
Speaker 7: So with feed they've gotten on it.
Speaker 2: So on those water sources you're talking about, since it's real dry, uh, what time of day do you expect do you to come in there?
Speaker 3: Is that a morning thing or an evening thing?
Speaker 8: Man, it's been an evening thing. Like right when they get up out of the bed, it seems like they're they're hitting the water and then they're going, you know, out going out to feed. We've we've been gotten a lot of public land and I've got some permission through some private to get into some public And I watched four or five bucks the other day. Nothing mature, a couple of three year olds and younger bucks, but they all they all got up out of their bed, march right to the water, and then right back out to the cornfield and fed, you know, basically the whole night. So I think that's you know, that's probably looking forward to the next week or so. I mean, it's not going to be anything you want, you know, sixty eight seventy eight seventy six, little cold front there, if you want to call it, the cold front on the thirtieth and thirty first down to sixty one degrees, all right, you know what I mean. It's like it's not ideal by any means, but you know, the deer is still going to do it. You know, the dose are still going to come into coming to heat and you know, so they'll they'll still be doing it. But I see a bunch of south and southwest winds, which you know predominantly you know, November right this time. You know a lot of your stuff set up for northwest winds. So I might have to look ahead and kind of kind of change some things up to that.
Speaker 4: But gotcha. So, uh, I need you to I need you to inspire me for a second here because you haven't done that yet. But really listen, the October has been almost an entire month of low like for a lot of people, is this does this set us up to have just a breakout November?
Speaker 3: Man? I hope.
Speaker 8: So last year was really good and this year, like I said, I mean, it gets down into the fifties, you know, the first part of November. So as far as highest, I mean, I think we'll still we'll still be We'll still be rolling.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 8: So with the said I hadn't clearly picked up now, so I'm hoping you know, I'm break at some point.
Speaker 4: Sure, hopefully so? Man. So with the warm temps the next week or so, uh on a scale of one to ten. What do you think the Bucks movement is going to be like.
Speaker 8: Man, I'll still go with with the seven man. I mean, I can't give it any higher than that. Just I see seventy eight, seventy six, you know, sixty eight.
Speaker 4: But I mean it's it's it's getting to beat go time. They're starting to hit the grades. Daylight activity is going to.
Speaker 8: Start picking up here at the end of the you know, the next week or two. So I mean, it's a good it's a good if you got a Buck on a pattern. Man, it's still a dang good time to be injury.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, okay, seven in the Midwest is a pretty good thing, I think, so we'll take it. Drake, thanks for hopping on the phone with us, man, and I hope the rest of your season goes well. And I can't wait to see a bunch of Bucks in November going down on your Instagram feed. Man, Man, I hope I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Fellas.
Speaker 4: I'm talking to Adam Keith from Landing Legacy. This is one of my favorite brothers in the industry. Man, I appreciate your friendship Adam, and I appreciate especially for this podcast, your advice and your thoughts going forward on Deer. How's everything going? Man?
Speaker 5: Oh, I appreciate it. It's always good to talk to you guys. I don't know if I'm going to be much motivation on this week because it is h Oh, it's getting pretty crunchy up here in southern Midwest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's and that's not a it's not an uncommon motif throughout this this week's podcast. That's okay, But you know, what have you been seeing? I'm guessing when you say crunchy, there's not a whole lot of rainfall happening.
Speaker 7: No, it hadn't rained in almost thirty days.
Speaker 5: And uh, it's been unseasonably hot, and there's been some wind, so all the conditions to dry things out, and so it's been a In fact, sometime in September, we shifted a lot of our cameras away from water holes to put them on mock scrapes, and we are shifting them back because we're noticing a lot of activity is happening around our water holes. Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's interesting because we're we're Casey and I are in a hunt right now, and we have seen scrapes this time of year in this area and are just not I haven't even seen a scrape yet.
Speaker 3: I looked around hard today for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're just they're just not here. It's the same conditions here we've in Texas. We've been so dry and so hot, and we had one little cool spell in early October and it's just not not that way the rest of the month. You guys seen a lot of lull in the action because of these conditions.
Speaker 5: Yes, correct, I think a lot of times people I'm not one of those October lowll believers.
Speaker 7: I'm not one of those guys.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh October loll sometimes stop hunting. It's it's kind of just one of those that those odd the conditions. And yes, there is a lull this year because of the heat and the dryness that we have. If if I am hunting, you know, I still have a lot of good big deer that I'm getting on camera, but.
Speaker 3: They're at night.
Speaker 5: Or in the morning, and I'm not a you know, I tend to shift where I don't tell a lot of people to hunt the mornings in early season, but I do tell them. I used to say don't hunt mornings, and now I say hunt mornings. If it if that's what it takes.
Speaker 3: To kill them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's you. Casey kind of has mentioned that to me in the past past couple of years, and I'm becoming more of a believer in that, especially in this hot early season stuff. You know, what kind of what kind of food sources are you looking at right now that are that are going to be something you could take advantage of.
Speaker 5: It's acrons, and it's it's acrons for sure where I'm at. And then because it is so dry, if you have bottom fields that are getting heavy dues that are in young tender green vegetation Sebraska's or rape seed, or even your cereal greens like wheat and uh tree to kaylee or cereal rye or oats, if you have those and they're still getting heavy dews to where they're palatable, they're very they're very uh wet and still actively growing, then those can be great food sources. But if they're ridge top and they've been driver for a while, they're starting to kind of get a little waxy, and I'm not seeing as much activity on those plots.
Speaker 3: So let's think about the morning hunts.
Speaker 2: Then you know, if that's the time that you can capitalize on some cool weather and maybe see deer on their feet. Maybe you do have a bottom that it does have a decent food plot in it.
Speaker 3: Wind's going to be a really difficult thing in that.
Speaker 2: How do you how do you overcome you know, kind of those still cool mornings whenever the wind's doing whatever.
Speaker 5: I'm still I'm still I'm using that as a kind of a in the.
Speaker 7: Back of my head, that's the food source.
Speaker 5: I'm still basing my strategy around bedding. I definitely know they're going to be tucking into bed a lot earlier. They might not be loafing around mid morning, going kind of late getting to the bedroom. So what I'm doing is, Okay, if i have let's say, sell cameras on one of my bottom field food plots are on an oak ridge, then I've got a buck that's actively using it. If he's there at five in the morning and still two hours before daylight, I know he's getting closer to bed. And so if I can locate those betting areas and getting close to those at daybreak, then I feel.
Speaker 3: Like I've got a shot.
Speaker 5: But if I've got a buck on camera that is moving around and I'm not really getting my pictures, my last few pictures I'm getting at one am. I'm trying to scale way out on the area and say, Okay, he's been somewhere far from where this picture was taken. And if I don't know where that's at, that deer is unhuntable to me right now, Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 2: So with all that in mind, I'm bracing for a difficult number here, right And that's fine.
Speaker 3: I think it's good to be honest with people.
Speaker 2: On a scale of one to ten, what do you think the buck movement's going to be like in the daylight in Missouri in the next week.
Speaker 5: As of right now, for the next four days, I'm going to say it's a three. It's not looking good. I mean, guys, this is this is prime October lowl. If you were to look it up and we could actually define it.
Speaker 7: It's right now.
Speaker 5: It's it's hot, it's dry, they're wearing winter coats, and food sources are everywhere with the acorns dropping. Now you asked me for Saturday, and we've got a cool front.
Speaker 7: Coming and a possible light rain.
Speaker 4: Not much.
Speaker 5: It's not even going to be enough to settle the dust, but it's dropping ten degrees and the lows in the high thirties, I'd say that's at least a six midwest six. Well, they're just kind of barametric pressure in my head.
Speaker 9: Oh, barimetric pressure gets today, let's go all right, but no tell me more. Please, barometric pressure gets as high as they're saying, I feel like we'll have a.
Speaker 5: Chance and I'll be in the stand on Saturday. Okay, bonus part of this year.
Speaker 2: In your best thirty second explanation, can you explain barometric pressure in what high and low means?
Speaker 5: Okay, So, if it's over thirty point two, it's generally high.
Speaker 7: It's in the range.
Speaker 5: I like, if it's thirty point four and thirty point five, which I saw two weeks ago, I'm very interested.
Speaker 7: If it's if it's.
Speaker 5: Twenty nine, I'm not really paying attention to it now.
Speaker 7: I always say weather overrides everything.
Speaker 5: So if the weather drops fifteen degrees below what it was the day before, I don't care what the barometric pressure is.
Speaker 4: I know the.
Speaker 7: Weather's okay.
Speaker 5: But if I can get all the stars to align, which is great weather high pressure, I'm gonna go into.
Speaker 7: More voodoo for you.
Speaker 5: But if the moon is at the right rising and falling, and I put all that with the time of Yeah, I feel like that's the four star just perfect scenario.
Speaker 3: Better get in the stand, boy.
Speaker 2: If we keep talking to you, we're gonna get out two pieces of wire and hold them in our hands. Adam, I appreciate it, man. I think that I trust you because I know you know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I hope Saturday's awesome for you, dude. Thank you. Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Guys, this is.
Speaker 3: My friend Stephen Crawford.
Speaker 2: He's got a podcast called Red Letters and White Tails I was blessed to be on at one point in time. Steven, you've been hunting to Michigan and you're driving around looking at the country.
Speaker 3: What's going on, dude?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Man, Hi, thanks for having me on. Casey and Tyler really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 10: I'm happy to be in my truck today because it's really hot out from midwestern Michigan or in late October.
Speaker 7: But we have some really exciting weather.
Speaker 10: I think starting like in twenty four hours, So really excited for this.
Speaker 3: That soon.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 3: So right now, what's the temperature right now?
Speaker 7: Seventy six degrees Okay, and what's about twenty is higher than the high last week.
Speaker 3: Wow, So I bet you that's like a double factor.
Speaker 2: Not only is it hot, but the deer got used to some cool weather and then all of a sudden they're hit with something really hot and it's double put down right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're you know, they're moving at and we got hit with a huge full moon like everybody else.
Speaker 10: So like the past five or six days, there's been nothing but nocturnal pictures. But uh, they're starting to hit scrapes really hard, even if even if it is at night.
Speaker 7: I know that with this cold front, you know around the corner.
Speaker 10: That the time movement is going to pick up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. So let's talk about that cold front. What what do you usually define as the cold front? And you know, as far as like what are you looking for and temperature drop and then what do you kind of shift to your what you're gonna do for like this one that's coming up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So for a cold front, at least here in Michigan Midwest in general, once we get in the late eut October, I'm looking for at least a fifteen degree dip in the high So like Today it's I think the highest seventy eight or seventy nine degrees, and tomorrow I believe the highest sixty two. And by this weekend it's here to stay for like five or six days. And this weekend I think the highs are in the mid fifties with lows in the high twenties, low thirties.
Speaker 7: So this is like scrape week for me.
Speaker 10: I honestly enjoy this week more than the first week in November here in Michigan.
Speaker 7: Bucks are going to be hitting scrapes.
Speaker 10: My buddy actually just sent me a picture of a buck bedded and a scrape, so bucks even yeah, so, even though bucks are hitting scrapes maternally with this heat right now, I really think this coldfront is going to have them up on their feet. And then, you know, this first cold front, I think we're going to see our.
Speaker 7: First little few dos come in.
Speaker 10: And that's the most exciting time for me because when there's only a couple of them running around that are in heat, those bucks, like the bucks.
Speaker 7: Are kind of going crazy.
Speaker 10: I've had way more luck with seeing mature bucks on their feet here in Michigan in late October versus early November. Pretty consistently year in and year out.
Speaker 4: So how you finding the scrapes that are going to show daylight? First?
Speaker 10: I'm looking, so I'm kind of I'm not totally avoiding the field edge scrapes, but for the most part, I'm walking past them, and I'm looking for more community based scrapes that are within one hundred yards of a betting area, specifically a doe betting area. So I from I have prior knowledge in public land around me, and then I have a few private pieces I'm lucky enough to have permission on. And really I'm not I'm not too concerned with the field edge scrapes.
Speaker 7: But if you show me a that's getting consistently hit within.
Speaker 10: One hundred yards of a wedding area and some sort of cover, I think this last ten days of October, especially coupled with a cold front, to me, is one of the.
Speaker 7: The best reasons to be in the woods. You know, chances are higher than they are any other time year to shoot the mature buck.
Speaker 4: So would you rather hunt a scrape or hunt a pinch point if those first few do's are coming in.
Speaker 7: I guess it depends what I'm seeing and hearing.
Speaker 10: I think the last Like like these next few days, with this cold front coming in, I'm probably gonna be hunting over a scrape. But then as it gets inches closer to Halloween, then I'm probably getting more focused on the pinch points. So, just with the history that my personal history, I'd say up until October t twenty seventh, twenty eighth, I'm hunting scrapes pretty hard. But then once I see a lot of bucks on their feet, maybe some trip, maybe a little bit more of aggressive chasing come that Halloween time period, I'm more on a pinch point.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, so on a scale of one to ten, what do you think buck movement's gonna be like in the next week.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I think it's gonna be like a seven to eight as good as it gets in late October here in the Midwest.
Speaker 10: I don't know what the weather's looking like elsewhere, but here in Michigan, this cold front we're gonna have between tomorrow, which is the twenty third of October, and like the twenty ninth, I think it's just gonna be money.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 10: I'm seeing buck movement at night, and I know it's gonna shift a daily.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 7: The only reason, right now is the heat and the moon.
Speaker 10: I know, with this cold front coming in, it's gonna really, it's really gonna kick him intear and daye.
Speaker 2: Man, I appreciate the optimistic report and I believe what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Dude, It's gonna be a good weekend in Michigan. Thanks for the report, man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thanks Casey, Thanks Allen.
Speaker 2: If you are a person who enjoys Reugh Fresh Radio and you in fact got something from our interview last week with our good friend Jake Hofer, we did a long format podcast on the Element podcast. We did a deep dive into his trail camera strategy and data organization and then putting that data into action with his hunting plan.
Speaker 3: He's really good at that.
Speaker 4: Go listen to that if you have it before, put a link in the bio down there for that. You know who else is really good at putting a plan in action.
Speaker 3: And not telling you how or why.
Speaker 4: Mister Greg. Mister Greg. We've got a guy named Greg Latham that has run camera for us for the last few years. In fact, his first job filming for us ever was the first episode of Buck Truck. So if you're familiar with the Buck Truck series, it's on the media YouTube channel. Greg has helped film a lot of that kind of cut his team from that kind.
Speaker 3: Of filmed Mark Kenyon on buck Truck.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. So if you're a Mark Kenyon fan, I don't know why you would be, but I love Mark. I said, I'm going to do that the whole season, and here I am. Greg had an awesome encounter and killed a really awesome deer on public land Solo backpacking trips self filmed from the ground, from the ground the seo, way back in the back country, like I think he walked in like three miles or something crazy. I can't remember. But the dude is a killing machine. He's an He's silent but deadly, I think is what we call him. But y'all go watch that. It's on our YouTube channel. It's called Solo Backpack Hunting from my biggest White Tail. Buck is an awesome hunt. It's on our YouTube channel, the Element Hunting YouTube channel. Go check it out.
Speaker 3: What else case I don't really have superstitions? Did you know that?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 2: But maybe not everybody does. But a lot of people do have superstitions and other things. And our friend Tony Peterson may not be may or may not be that kind of guy. He has some thoughts at least about some things, yea, and usually he's really good at putting those things down pen to paper. And he actually wrote an article recently about superstitions that probably won't help you feel tags, but they can be fun. Don't check out Tony's article on that. I bet it's pretty good. I read the first half of it here and it's pretty entertaining. He is man, and he does a pretty good job with uh. I would say exuding or extracting, that's the wrong word. Extracting the things that you might breeze over in your hunting season, you know, like he's he's he's thinking about stuff a lot. So go read that article if you haven't. On Wired to hunt dot com, all that stuff will be linked below in the description guys, appreciate y'all listening. This has been rough, fresh, Keep it fresh.