Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, and welcome back to this week's episode of A Really Good Cry. I hope you've had such a wonderful, wonderful week. So I recently shared a video of me speaking on a podcast about forgiveness. The essence of it was that you don't always have to tell the person who hurt you that they hurt you, and where you get relief from in those situations is not usually where the pain came from. Really and truly, it was talking about forgiveness being a one person process, not a two person process. That you can forgive someone without honestly them even knowing that they've hurt you, and sometimes without having to have a conversation about it. Now, it was really amazing because it sparked up so much great conversation in the comments, and I read all of those read the comments, and there was so many people saying, no, you absolutely have to tell the person when they've hurt you, like if you don't tell them then things can't change, And there was a lot of debate on that, to be honest, So there are some people who could really relate to what I was saying, and other people who are really enraged by it, and honestly, I could see and understand why, because for some people, when something really different has happened, telling the person feels like it is part of the process of getting over it, of letting go of it, of maybe forgiving them. So I think it's really dependent on the situation. I think when I was speaking about it, I meant in certain situations, when you know saying something actually isn't going to make any difference to the other person and then are going to change their ways, that's when you have to decide it is a one person process, and I'm going to let go of this. I'm going to forgive that person, not for them, but for me, because sometimes we don't want to face that person, sometimes that person is no longer here to even tell them, and sometimes even communicating with that person, even if it's to tell them about the pain they've caused, feels like we're crossing a boundary that we don't want to and feels like we're giving them the power bag. So, in all honesty, when I think about forgiveness, I think that there's two kinds. There's forgiveness with these traumas with the little tea, and by that I mean the day to day issues that we go through. There's smaller pains, the discomforts, the disagreements, the ones we go through regularly as humans. But then they're the big T trauma forgiveness, and that kind of forgiveness requires a lot from the person, and that's things like abuse, murder, and all the things in between. Now, I can't say that I've been through any of those big T traumas, so any advice that I would try to give you on it, it wouldn't feel right for me to give advice on that. So I actually took from conversations that I've had with friends, with people that have spoken and open up to me about the big T traumas that they've been through and how they have reacted to forgiveness, how they have reacted in those situations. I've had friends and family that have sadly been through quite a lot of big T traumas, and I wanted to share some of their stories and hopes that it brings clarity to your process and your journey in forgiveness and sheds light on what can come from forgiven, even if it feels out of reach right now, even if forgiveness isn't a word you want in your vocabulary I completely understand, but I hope that this episode helps you to start on that journey, not for anybody else, but for yourself. So when I was writing this, I looked up definitions of forgiveness, and I really love this on the most. It said forgiveness is the intentional, voluntary, being important process of releasing deep seated feelings of resentment, anger, and vengeance towards someone who has caused harm, regardless of whether they deserve it, Facilitating personal healing and mental peace. I think the key words for me here are voluntary and personal healing and mental peace. When I was reading articles online, I think that the thing that stuck out to me the most was just how suffocating this idea of forgiveness can be for people who've been through really difficult times, this feeling of duty of society expecting you to forgive, because it makes people feel really uncomfortable if someone has a lot of anger. It makes people feel really uncomfortable if someone isn't on the path of forgiveness, if they have decided no, I actually want to hold this in me, and I'm choosing to keep this anger in me because it feels protective, that feels uncomfortable to people because you're used to being in a society where, even if you don't mean it, you say it's fine, I forgive you, I forgive you for everything that you've done. I forgive you, I forgive you, I forgive you, and saying sorry often when we don't mean it too. I don't think a forgiveness can ever be commanded or demanded. It has to be an act that is sacred, and it has to come from a place of a free heart, someone choosing to forgive someone without persuasion, without duty, and the moment forgiveness is demanded, it ends up not being pure. It becomes performative, and it becomes something that actually doesn't impact that person forgiving or the person being forgiven in the same way. And you know what, there might actually be circumstances where people feel forgiveness actually is not the path that they feel is right for them. Whether it's a person that's been through sexual abuse, they feel more empowered when they give themselves permission not to forgive. They might come to terms with the situation, but they don't want to forgive that person. And I think every single person has a right to decide whether or not they forgive another person, it should not be unexpected from anyone. There are so many beautiful examples of people who have forgiven others for horrendous crimes, whether it's shootings or killing their child. They've seen so many things in the news and read all these books where it talks about these stories of horrendous things happening and people forgiving the person on death row for that crime, or sharing forgiveness with someone who is really repenting for what they've done, and ultimately, forgiveness gives someone peace or healing.
Speaker 2: There can be no action too severe for forgiveness.
Speaker 1: If for you it brings peace in your heart, and if for you it brings clarity and a path forward, then you should never feel like there is anything too big that's too difficult to forgive if you feel you can get something more positive from doing so. There's this author who wrote a whole book on forgiveness, and he talks about why people resist forgiveness. He said, most people choose not to forgive because I'm gonna makes us feel powerful. Resentment ends up feeling like protection, like a boundary between you and the person. But he pointed out that you do not need to hold resentment and to keep a boundary and letting go is not losing control in that situation.
Speaker 2: Either. Someone to share a story with you.
Speaker 1: I have a friend who has been through sexual abuse, and I remember her saying to me that forgiving the person was the biggest act of self love and the greatest gift that she could have ever given herself. She said that when she went through years of working through anger, she realized that it was actually a cover for the deeper emotions that she was feeling. She was feeling guilty, she was feeling embarrassed that that had happened to her. There were so many other emotions that were coming up for her, and anger was just the way for her to express it.
Speaker 2: It was easier way to express it.
Speaker 1: And I've heard this so many times, and I've really started noticing in my life anger is always a secondary emotion. You don't often just feel angry. If you're angry that someone's done something to your friend, you feel her, you feel betrayal, you feel all these different things and all these different emotions, But usually anger comes from a deeper seated emotion or a deeper seated place in your heart. And I thought that was so powerful what she said that she saw forgiving someone as an act of self love for herself, and she said the anger was just eating her up inside. And I think that's what anger does, you know. I shared this post about how different emotions show up in the body, and so many people responded saying they've experienced that in themselves. The anger, you just feel it eating up the inside of your body, like it's just so difficult to process anger. It's such an undigestible emotion. And it's so interesting because in our Vader it says that anger it gives headaches and the head and it creates acid reflux and so much heat in the body. And so actually, all these emotions they don't just live in our subconscious or in you know, this imaginary world. They actually manifest in our physical body too. And so when you're thinking about letting go and forgiving, it really is such a youthing. And I know people say that it's a forgiveness is do it for yourself. It's not about the other person. But you really have to believe that to start that process, especially when something really difficult has happened to you, because forgiveness can end up feeling like you are letting go of the situation or it's acceptable what that person's done to you. But one thing that can help is trying to reframe that. But forgiveness is for me. Forgiveness is a self love practice that I'm doing for me. It has nothing to do with the other person. It's about how it's affecting my physical body, my mental state, my relationships, the way I move through life. And so a big part of this is rewiring how you see forgiveness and what forgiveness is linked to in your mind. Forgiveness is untying the knot still binding you to that person. It's basically cutting the tie. And if you think about it, when you don't forgive someone, that means you're still kind of holding them in your body or your heart or your mind in some way, which means we end up saying emotionally bound to these people. So something that you probably want to release, let go of in your mind and not associate with. Unfortunately, anger and the lack of forgiveness ends up keeping you tied to that person. It creates these invisible ties that you're finding really difficult to cut. Sexual abuse is one of the hardest circumstances someone would go through as a human And even though she absolutely had the right to hold onto the anger, even though she would be fully justified, absolutely fully justified in doing that, she chose not to. She chose not to carry that weight with her, not to experience the rest of her life through the filter of that pain of the anger, and not to let that experience or that person have any more control over her. So, actually, forgiveness and letting go for her was taking away the power from that person that her. He's already taken away so much, he doesn't get to have the rest of my life. And I remember her saying that to me, and I was like, wow, it's so true. This person has taken away a year of two years, three years of your life. But am I going to let this person dictake the rest of my life. I'm going to keep this person in my mind for the rest of my life, this point of pain, this point of destruction in my life. I'm going to let it continue throughout my life. And that was a choice that she decided to make. She did not want to continue that in her life, and so, of course it took a lot of work, which I'm going to go into later. What it actually takes to forgive someone in this type of situation, but the work was worth it for her, it really was. And she feels like she's just changed the trajectory of her life. And I've seen it with my own eyes, and she really has. And it's so beautiful to see. You know, where we decide to forgive and where we don't, whether it's in the smaller things every single day, or whether it's in these big ways, it really determines how we see and speak about the past and how we move into our future. Another really incredible example of forgiveness that I experienced was when I went to Rwanda a couple of years ago. And for anyone who doesn't know, there was a genocide that happened in Rwanda literally not long ago. I think it ended in like nineteen ninety four. That generation still exists there. It's not even an older generation. It is a young generation that has experienced their parents being killed, their families being killed, and.
Speaker 2: In very, very brutal ways.
Speaker 1: I went to the museum there and it was so overwhelming to see the amount of people that died, but also how aggressive and intense it was. And it is beyond imagination to be honest, it was incredible to see and hear from people who had their neighbors killing their parents, and how they've chosen to forgive, How this next generation that has come has chosen to build, rebuild community, to have compassion for each other, to forgive for the most unthinkable things, for the benefit of society, for the benefit of their community, for the benefit of their children, and to perpetuate.
Speaker 2: Love and not hate.
Speaker 1: And that was bizarre sy something that I've never experienced before, and I don't think has really happened in the world before, where this community had chosen to not let that anger, that aggression that happened in that moment in time dictate how they connect to people after. There were two tribes who lived there, and the Tutsi tribe, they went through a complete genocide. Over one million lives were lost, one million in that short period of time. So it was really fascinating experiencing that in the community and hearing people talk about that, because obviously that's something that we all struggle with in the world at the moment, there's so many things happening, But to see this level of forgiveness within such a short period of time, since it ended in nineteen ninety four. It was incredibly beautiful to see and so touching to hear the stories of people who reconciled and created harmony and community after that. So when I was reading about forgiveness, I read about different stages of forgiveness, and this, honestly, what I'm about to share, felt like the most useful and impactful process. I kind of took from all these different processes and these different stages that people recommended, and I created these four stages that I think forgiveness really fits into.
Speaker 2: So the first stage is hate, and.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes the trigger for many people when they hear forgiveness is that it implies you can't carry the hate, that it leaves no room for the hate that you're feeling, the negative emotions that you're feeling. It's like when you think when you start forgiveness or you're saying that you're about you're forgiving someone, the negative emotions just have to disappear, and that's not realistic. So I actually think hate is the first stage of forgiveness because it's important and it's even a necessary stage forgiveness. In order to actually forgive, I think you have to give yourself time to have an intense and passionate reaction to the person and what's happened. You have to let your mind run with the thoughts and let your heart run with the feelings. And more often than not, this looks and feels like anger. So I think giving yourself space and not pushing yourself out of these negative and inverted comments because I don't think the negative emotions, these extreme emotions that you're feeling, allow them to be extreme. Allow your mind to like think of every situation, every thought, every opinion that you have, every single thing that's going through your mind that feels aggressive, that feels angry, Give yourself the space and time to feel it, because if you don't feel it, it will sit in you, or it will bury itself beneath somewhere in your body. And it's better to just experience it now as you're feeling it, go through the emotions. Not acknowledging this and suppressing it can actually just set deeper into your subconscious and then it comes out in ways that you won't even expect five years down the line, ten years down the line. So I think, without experiencing these emotions of anger and whatever else you're feeling, it's impossible to genuinely forgive someone because then those feelings are just hiding somewhere and they're waiting to come out, and they'll come out the worst time possible, probably in the future. And so really allowing yourself to write it out, to explore it. Sometimes you won't even understand it. Understanding may not be part of this stage. Actually, I think it's just experiencing, experiencing the utmost anger that you are feel and allow it to flow through you. Stage two is hurt. Anger is easier than pain. Like I said before, feeling angry often feel safer than feeling deep pain. It's actually an act of courage to feel the deep, deep hurt. And I think that's actually where people stop because feeling the pain too deeply is just too painful. Like it's so hard feeling her. There's one thing about anger, and the thing is if you stay in anger for too long, it can become bitterness. And the bitterness just becomes a way of living, the filter through what you see life and experience life through. But her, to her really requires you to open your heart out to actually allow your heart to break, and that takes so much vulnerability, so much work. My friend who says she was able to forgive that I mentioned earlier. She said that feeling the pain and unraveling it was the most emotionally painful and physically draining time in her whole entire life. And trust me, this girl has been through a lot. I have another friend who had a physically abusive father from a young age, and to this day I can see and feel her anger through the way that she lives life. She's found it so difficult to let go of things as much as she wants to. She's struggling and the reaction she has to things, even the way that she responds when her dad's name is mentioned. She's been trapped in her hatred for so long, for so many years. Whenever I ask her if she feels like talking about it or if she has ever tried to, she says, I don't think I can go back there. I don't think I can talk about it or work through it because it will literally break me. I don't think I can experience that again. I don't think I can go through the pain. And so her fear of heartbreak and feeling those feelings of upset is more scary to her than living through this bitterness or the anger that she's living her life through. But unfortunately, I think it's only when you allow your heart to break in that way that you can pass to the third stage of forgiveness, which is understanding. So the first part is really about feeling a lot, which can be hard. It can be the most draining thing to go through. The emotions anger, her pain, all the hardest emotions to go through. But then that can bring you to the stage hopefully of understanding meaning making making meaning of what's happened in some way, not excusing it or justifying it or minimizing it, but really understanding and what happened to you, how it shaped you, what it's affecting and impacting in your life. Basically exploring what has this incident, what ripple effect has it created in my life? What other ripples in my relationships and my work, in my mindset, in my fear on a day to day basis, what exactly, every single day has this one incident impacted throughout my life? What rippuls has it created? And so this is really the stage where you stop and you ask why did this person do this or why did.
Speaker 2: This happen to me?
Speaker 1: And you can have all the most bizarre responses to it. I can't even imagine what would go through someone's mind who's been through something like that. But ask yourself, why did they do this? I'm really trying to think about the person, and it could be just that they're bad people and not nice people, and that they don't respect human life and that they don't respect women or whatever it is. But trying to find in your mind coming to a conclusion of why that person from in their own mind might have done that, and then asking what did it do to me? What impact did this have on me? And so you're really naming the losses that you felt in life from going through that and identifying what was taken, whether it's safety, innocence, trust, voice, time, really seeing how the trauma shaped your patterns, your reactions, your relationships. But remembering that understanding does not mean understanding the person that hurt you or makes sense of what's happened. It just makes you less confused by your own life. You create meaning to it in your own way doesn't mean that that's the reality of it. But you're able to come to terms with it and come face to face with it and find some sort of understanding that helps you move on. As long as it helps you move on, it's good. If you're finding that it's actually taking you backwards or going through through that is a bit too painful, maybe you're not ready for this staga, or maybe you're maybe trying to unpack it and unravel it. Isn't what's good for you and isn't what makes you feel better about the situation. One thing's for sure that the more you understand yourself, the less control you'll feel others have over you. And so understanding how you feel about this situation is a key part to this that can come from journaling therapy. There are so many amazing therapists now that focus on different types of trauma and so really going to someone who can help you through specifically what you've gone through or the issues that you're having somatic work. I've just seen so much healing happen from that, especially if you're finding it difficult to tap into your emotions. Sometimes we want to go there when we really want to get to the root of things, but we've got so many blockages, a lot of them being protection. Our body protects us, our mind protects us from going to places that are too difficult. I've had so many stories of people. I actually had someone on my podcast, Gabby Bernstey, and she came on the podcast and she said that she had realize that she'd gone through sexual abuse until way later in her life. I think it was in the last couple of years where a memory got unlocked through doing somatic work, through doing these specific practices. And imagine your mind locks up so many things out of protection for you, and so sometimes we may want to reach those emotions, but we're finding it difficult too, and so we need help to get there and to really work through it. One thing that really helped me through forgiving in my life has been writing letters to people, but not sending it to them. So I'll write out everything that I want to say, everything that I'm feeling about the person, about the situation, but I don't send it. Sometimes just putting pen to paper and actually getting it out on a page felt like healing enough. I didn't feel like I needed to open up the wound again by speaking to the person or sending it directly to them. So letting that conversation flow out of you and onto paper is something that can really help.
Speaker 2: And another thing that.
Speaker 1: Can be really beautiful is is rewriting your future story, trying to imagine a life where what would my life be like if I wasn't impacted by this, Like, how do I see?
Speaker 2: How did I envision my life going? How do I envision my life being?
Speaker 1: And realizing that you can rewrite that story in a way that doesn't have to be shaped by that experience. What would it take for you to get to that point? I love this quote that I've been reading and seeing everywhere at the moment, and it's if you can overthink all the bad things that could be what if you overthink the possibility of all the good things that could happen instead? And so when you've been through difficult times, it's easy to think about all the other bad things that could happen. It's so natural because you're in protection mode, but starting to think, but what about all the good things that could happen? What if I just wondered for a little while about all the good things that could happen in my life and start trying to create more of those thoughts in those visions rather than the ones tainted by what you've already gone through in the past. I really think that this stage is probably the longest stage and the stage that requires the most from you. Also, I know that this feels really crappy and difficult too, because not only has something difficult happened to you, but now you have to do the work to undo or so at times it might feel like you're the only one suffering in this, even when you didn't do anything wrong. But the fact is that this effort is for you, not for the other person or not for the situation that happen, And that's what you have to keep reminding yourself of that this is for me. I'm doing this for me. This whole process is for me to feel happier and healthier and better in my heart and better in my relationships. And so I think having that as a reminder for yourself every single day is really important. And by the way, these stages apply, whether it's small things that have happened or the larger traumas that have happened, all these stages are the same, whether you go through them within a day or even an hour. In your mind, you can go through this process pretty quickly. If it's something small that you're trying to forgive or trying to work through. Stage four is release. Now, this is the moment that you decide that this person, this experience, does not get to narrate the rest of your life. And so in your mind, release will look like telling yourself this story no longer hijacks my nervous system. The name no longer changes the way that you think or breathe. Their memory exists, but it doesn't control you. This is where I think what my friend said really sticks out. He already took so much for me, he doesn't get to take the rest of my life. And that's really what you're doing in this releasing stage. Forgiveness does not have to mean reconciliation. There is a huge distinction, and I think sometimes people think once I've forgiven, that means I should try and create a relationship with that person again, or try and mend the relationship, and depending on what the situation is. But forgiveness is such an internal and personal thing, and reconciliation is mutual and conditional. And so you can forgive someone fully and choose not to have them in your life. I think that's really important. You can forgive someone fully and choose not to speak to them ever again. But you can also forgive someone and choose to have them in your life and not feel bad about it. And you can choose to forgive someone and give them a second chance and not feel bad about it.
Speaker 2: And so I think it's important to remember.
Speaker 1: Both sides where I don't feel bad if you choose to reconcile with someone or if you do choose to forgive someone and have them back in your life, but it's also okay not to. You do not owe someone reconciliation just because you've chosen to forgive them. So, whether it's a big T trauma or a little ty trauma, I think the journey has no time frame. Some may take days, others may take years and years of going through this process over and over again. There's just so many layers to it, and it can show up in completely different ways. Even when you feel like you've let go, it can creep back in through another trigger. I think forgiveness is a constant, daily practice, and it's definitely not an easy one. You can forgive someone and still for waves of grief and anger and sadness years later by a trigger that was so unexpected. You shouldn't feel like that you're not healing. If you still get triggered, or that you haven't done this process properly. Forgiveness doesn't mean that your nervous system never reacts again. It means that you now do not organize your life around the wound anymore. Forgiveness isn't about being a good person. It's just about being someone who feels free in their mind from an experience that's happened to them, and that you're not carrying that weight throughout your whole life. I wanted to share a quote from the book that I mentioned I had read earlier, and it says to forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you. And so what I think he means by that is really through forgiveness, you're not setting anyone else free except for your own mind, except your own body, and you're allowing yourself to create a new path for yourself, like you end up becoming a prisoner of your own anger, of your own emotions if you hold them in you, but choosing to let them go is a loving practice you can do for yourself, choosing to be a forgiving person, especially if it's in these little tea things, like the little things that happened day to day if you're collecting them over time and building resentment that sits so heavy in you, And do you really want to do that for the rest of your life or do you want to be someone who forgives easily lets go? And yes, pain may come a little bit more to you and you may end up feeling a little bit more hurt in life through it, but having this process of constantly being able to forgive and move forward I think helps to go through life feeling a lot lighter. Sending your so much love. If you are someone who's been through a lot of difficult times in your life, I am saying a prayer for you in my mind, whoever you are. I hope that you make it through this forgiveness journey. I hope that it's easier than you thought it was going to be. And if it is really difficult, I hope you have the support and the love and the care that you need around you. There are so many amazing places and therapists that people can go to to help you through this work. I'll try and share some of those things on a really good cry when we release this episode. So a bit of a heavy topic wasn't it, But sending you so much love and I hope you guys have such a wonderful week