Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 2: He guys, we are here at Are you a Charlotte? With Mary Beth?
Speaker 3: This is so surreal, you have no I don't even know if I could even count the number of times I've watched Sex.
Speaker 2: And the City all the way through, you couldn't even count.
Speaker 3: I think I do a rewatch once a year, and I just finished my recent rewatch maybe like four months ago. And then when I went back to watch the episode we're going to talk about, I almost let it keep playing, but I was like, I can't do this. I actually can't do this.
Speaker 2: I love to hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love to hear that one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you well.
Speaker 1: I do feel, as I said to you when you got here, that I feel like you and Benny are carrying the torch forward with Overcompensating and all your comedy and all your everything that you're doing. I feel like you're the next generation, like you know, trying to make good stuff, like out there pushing the envelope talking.
Speaker 4: About the issues.
Speaker 2: So it's so perfect that you are here to talk about boy girl, boy girl. Wish people do it a bit.
Speaker 4: First, I weant talk.
Speaker 1: Abo a little bit, and I want to talk about overcompensating because I'm so so excited. And when I first had Bennie on, I hadn't seen the whole season, okay, because my niece had told me to have him on.
Speaker 2: She was like, have Benny drama. I don't know Benny.
Speaker 1: I had to do some research to like catch up, and I was like, Wow, these kids are amazing.
Speaker 4: We're you know what.
Speaker 3: We had good role models with you guys, because I feel like Sex and the City was so formative. And actually I remember where I was the first time I saw Sex in the City. I was born in the nineties, so it was a little bit like, you know, mature for me as like a kid when it was sharing. But then in high school I had to sleep over at my friend Julia's house. It was like all the girls were all still friends to this day, and she had DVDs of like the fourth season or something, and we just dove in and I was like, holy shit, I think this show is going to change my life. And ever since then, i've yeah, I guess that must have been like ten years ago. It's just been such like a mainstay constant for me, and watching the movies over and over and then and just like that. It's just been so fun to follow the characters. But I feel like Sex and the City was such like a progress I mean at the time. And obviously there are issues that we would handle differently today, of course, but really presenting the mainstream with these things that were happening in New York absolutely maybe didn't feel so accessible at the time.
Speaker 2: So absolutely.
Speaker 1: And I think that we thought when we started it in ninety eight, which is, you know, bizarre to say out loud, that it would be like a little niche, you know, like we all related to it. Obviously, we were in our thirties, and you know, this was kind of our life. I mean, it wasn't exactly our life. It was like an elevated, more intense version orund but it was so exciting to do it, you know, but we never thought it would have widespread appeal.
Speaker 4: Did you live in New York at the time or.
Speaker 2: Back and forth?
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 1: I went to Rutgers and then I then I graduated and lived in like first I lived in Jersey City.
Speaker 2: Not exciting.
Speaker 5: Sorry, sorry, sorry, okay, I know, I mean, you know, how it was right and not any means necessary.
Speaker 2: Right now, you live in Williamsburg was very very cool.
Speaker 1: Hopoken at the time wasn't really cool though it later got cool.
Speaker 2: But it was kind of like the financial.
Speaker 4: Bros were there.
Speaker 2: I was a waitress at that restaurant right. I don't know if you've ever been over there.
Speaker 1: When you would get off the Path train, there was a restaurant right there, and they would all just come in their suits and yeah, like horrible.
Speaker 4: I would, yeah, every day. So they're still like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's true.
Speaker 1: I feel like they've been somewhat diluted, though I don't know if it's my experience has changed, but like it used to seem that the entire city was that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, yes, you're right, there's much more segment. It's much more segment.
Speaker 2: Got the hipsters where you are. You know, we've got the art student as well. We've got the college students. I feel like the college students.
Speaker 1: And I think this is because the last season we stayed in the village when my kids were there.
Speaker 2: I mean, the students are living the life.
Speaker 4: They are in the lap of luxury down there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think a lot.
Speaker 3: How my life would be different if I went to NYU, But I went to like an information session there because that was my top choice for a while. I ended up into Boston College and dropping out after two years, but I went to this information session and one of the admissions people was like, we just know if someone is like a fit here, and we know if they're not. Oh no, And just that vibe really turned me off. And I don't even end up applying I was.
Speaker 4: So perfectly a fit.
Speaker 3: But you know when you're just like and thank you for saying that, But you know when you just here one thing where you're like, no, I actually don't think I want to.
Speaker 2: I do totally. I do totally.
Speaker 1: That was how I felt about Rutgers, because Rutgers they it was an acting program, and they they were like, no one gets in, and I was like, okay, great that's for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I almost.
Speaker 3: I actually tried to sign up for drama when I won at Boston College, and the teacher was like, I think the class is too full, but you can come to the first day I meet everyone, and then I did that, and then the second class I walked in and she goes, it's full, and then I had to walk out.
Speaker 4: With my head hanging though.
Speaker 2: That's horrible.
Speaker 3: That was I just think there's so many ways I could have found this, But I'm glad it happened the way that it did.
Speaker 1: I mean, it always happens the way that should write. But it's never easy, no, no, for no one.
Speaker 4: Right, it's been a tough I mean it's yeah, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like stand up.
Speaker 1: I mean, stand up is to me like the hardest, hardest, hardest, Like what made you want to do that?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I think I've met. It's the type of mental illness that I have. It's really specific. And I started taking improv classes when I had like a full time job and I lived with my boyfriend at the time. I had a very quiet, sort of contained life. And then once I took improv, I just decided I wanted to try stand up. And then after that first time I did it, I was like, oh God, I think I found the thing I want.
Speaker 4: To do, like the drug.
Speaker 3: It was such a high and I totally blew up my whole life and then just decided to like pursue comedy. And at the beginning, you have that right level of like delusion where you're like this could actually happen for me, and I just tried to apply all the like type a personality that I have to this career, right and now I'm ten years in and things are going well it works out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I think that's what I love so much about you and Betty. First of all, you're super talented, but second of all, the way that you have made it. And I don't know how you guys met, which I want to know, but it's very much inspiring and exciting to me that it has worked out for you guys, because first of all, I think you're super committed, which everyone has to be.
Speaker 2: Like when people ask me when they're young, like what should I do? And I'm like, uh, you know, how bad do you want it? Like that's really the key.
Speaker 3: Because it's a lot of banging your head against the wall. It really for years and years and years, and you have no money. It's embarrassing, and you're begging people to like support you.
Speaker 4: Yes, and yeah, if.
Speaker 3: You don't love it, like if you don't feel like you would risk everything for it, then you really can't do it. I mean, I'm sure there are some people who've sort of stumbled into it and everything's worked out for them.
Speaker 4: But I think it's very very rare.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't I don't know anyone like that. I can't think right now of anyone like that.
Speaker 1: But I love you guys because you as opposed to like our generation, like we all. I mean, Cynthia and Sarah were child actors and Kim had been acting for a long time too, But like I went to college for it.
Speaker 2: I got to be fa it isn't me no good? Like what are the kind of insanity is that?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, studying it?
Speaker 1: But I know, right, I mean the thing that was good about where I went is that it was very very challenging and they cut people every semester. What so yeah yeah, yeah, Like five hundred people auditioned to be a freshman.
Speaker 2: Fifty of us got in.
Speaker 4: That makes me five graduated, and you were one of the fives.
Speaker 2: I was, wow, Oh you're not going to stop me, that's you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I would, right, that would be a lot for me to handle mentally.
Speaker 1: Right, But I mean you have handled ten years of this business, so it's the same. What I'm saying is that the weird, weird hardness of it was good prep right, because it made no sense, right, Like you couldn't you couldn't.
Speaker 2: You just be like what what? What happened?
Speaker 4: They cut what?
Speaker 1: And like at one point they told me I had to lose weight. This is during college, right, And I was like, oh god, you know good. It was actually good because the real world is much.
Speaker 2: Worse a nightmare. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's brutal, especially when you start like working your way up a little bit and you start to hear the conversations that are happening behind the scenes and you see just how brutal it Isn't right, I guess what's almost nice about social media is like all the meanest things anyone could ever say to you, you got to you got a notification totally hey this person said this thing. So now I'm like, whatever an agent or exec could say about me, I would love for them to try to come up with something new because I would just be interested.
Speaker 2: But yeah, definitely, that's so true. That's your true.
Speaker 1: I had not thought about that. I mean, as much as I really like I at one point when so, so I'm doing the podcast, so I'm looking at more stuff and then the show ended, as you know, and just like that, and I was so confused by it, and also like, you know, everyone was hating on us, and then we announced we were over and they were like, oh no, yeah, And then I was like, well, that's really interesting, like what's actually happening, you know, but like the there's like such a weird vibe out there. But I said to Sir Jessca, I was like trying to figure it out, and she said, why are you reading those comments? Don't read the comments? And I said, I know, I know, I know. It's kind of not once you get in. I mean for us, like we've been through it like every which way, and she's very strong about it.
Speaker 2: She doesn't Cynthia reads everything. Yeah, everyone finds their own way, you know.
Speaker 1: I think Cynthia feels like she learns from it, which I think is amazing. Yeah, she's very tough. I'm not so tough, but I am really curious. Yeah, you know, I want to understand.
Speaker 3: It is that weird thing. I mean, I think people love being mean on the internet. That's like one of the reasons why we started our podcast, just because we wanted to celebrate things and we wanted to we wanted to talk about things that we loved in a genuine way. And it's so much easier to obviously have a podcast where you're snarky about everything and you're just on what's being made and you insult people's work. But I think what people don't realize is like, yeah, if you are going to complain about something and say it's bad, like it might not be around anymore.
Speaker 1: So I know, I mean, I would like people to hear my best saying that, because I feel I feel like there is this weird I mean, I assume that it's also like the times that we're living in, right, people are so uncomfortable and we don't know what is happening at any given time, right, So it's much safer to complain about a TV show, right than it is to deal with the bigger issues, you know, And I get that, I get that, But if you're the people making the TV show, it's hard to be yelled at continually and told that you don't know what you're doing and that that person in wherever their houses knows your character better than you, which you know is interesting. No, we were trying to make a different show with the same character.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, and that's how I approached it was like, it is the same universe, but the characters obviously have changed because they're in totally different phases of their lives. And I feel like, again, the show tried to tackle topics like, you know, you having an on binary child. It's like or Charlotte having an on binary child. It's like, what you mean, it's I just felt like, yeah, people were always going to hold it to I mean, they hold reboots in anything like that to such a different standard because of the nostalgia. But I just to me, it was like, you know, once again, same with the original, even though I didn't necessarily I wouldn't make the same choices.
Speaker 4: As the characters.
Speaker 3: Like I was watching that every single week, and every single friend that I talked to, conversations would start with, did you see in just like that?
Speaker 2: Oh, like it was musty TV?
Speaker 4: Yeah thirty, I'm thirty four.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. You're in the third thirties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, put it that way, you're in the thirty See, we were, And that's part of what's weird about streaming. And I don't know how you guys feel and overcompensating, but back in the olden days. Not so much with HBO because we were our own We were like paving the road or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were new.
Speaker 1: But like you, you kind of knew who was watching streaming. You're just like, I don't know. The only people you're aware of is who's complaining, Oh.
Speaker 3: For sure, and he was posting clips and you know, chopping it up and right. Do you feel that way about overcompensating, Yeah, I think it's just it's tough when a lot of the streamers don't really tell you how many people or or anything like that. Now that I mean, the numbers get so big at a certain point, I'm like, I can't even conceptualize that many people, but I know how many people are reaching out and posting about it and making fan edits and stuff like that. So I feel like, yeah, it's also, for whatever reason, the criticisms always resonate with like sticking your brain more than the people who love it, of course.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, also just feel that the people who love it, if they're your friends, of course you're assuming that they are just you know, biased, and then you don't necessarily hear from the people in the world who love it because they don't post about loving it right, only the angry people post it seems. I don't know, but like with overcompensating. So okay, First of all, how'd you meet Benny?
Speaker 3: So? Bennie and I actually met at a stand up show. This was in yeah, pre pandemic. We met.
Speaker 4: We were booked on the same.
Speaker 3: Show in Bushwick, Oh my God, a bar called Our Wicked Lady, and it was we always say, there were more comics on the lineup than people in the audience.
Speaker 4: It was a very small show and we.
Speaker 3: Just really liked each other's sets, and he stopped me on the way out and we sort of had this like moment of connection. And then we were booked on another show together like a week later, and he said he needed someone for a sketch that he was doing, and I was like absolutely, Like you know, that was a time when it was say yes to everything, and then also if it's someone that you think is really funny.
Speaker 4: You're like, well, of course, like I'll be there, what time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then it just sort of organically grew from there, and then we had this opportunity to do our first podcast together, which was canceled.
Speaker 4: First podcast in history to ever be canceled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never heard of.
Speaker 4: All the Obsessed. Oh, which was for Spotify year.
Speaker 2: What year?
Speaker 3: This was during the pandemic? Okay, so it was twenty twenty podcasts. Yeah, that was sort of the beginning of it. So then that got canceled and we decided to start our own thing called Ride Right. And so yeah, it's been We've done a lot of different projects together and it's always so fun and it's just nice to have someone in this industry who you genuinely feel like so happy or and so much love and like we support each other.
Speaker 1: It's isolating, it's so beautiful and so rare, like when I see it because we I had been obviously by myself in my career right previous to Sex and City, and then because we were together and we went through the whole experience together, you had someone to check in with about the insanity and the difficulties and whatever was going on, right, And it's something that I'm just so grateful for because I see other actresses because generally speaking, you're alone. You're very alone, especially as a female, right, Like you know, you'll be on a set and they'll just be all guys.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, and so few shows go for that many seasons now, right, So it's like you guys really had like a family on set, which is.
Speaker 2: Such a which was what was so great to get back together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so great.
Speaker 1: And we did the movies and Morocco and you know, we've we've had like quite the life, quite the life. It's been incredible, and obviously I just wanted to keep going. But you know whatever, Right now, we're just taking a little pause. That's a break at break.
Speaker 5: If whatever's next, I'll be there, thank you, I'll be there, Sport.
Speaker 2: I'm very, very very excited for the second season. If I can't compensate.
Speaker 4: It's so fun. We're writing it right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marbeth came to us before where she's going to the writer's room a whole day.
Speaker 3: It's so exciting, it's so fun. It's such a crazy thing to do for work. Like we just sit there and like pitch what we think is funny, and sometimes it's not funny.
Speaker 4: You find that out when you say it out loud.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is like sometimes it's a funny idea and then on the page it might not be funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, all right, let's talk about so you and Benny.
Speaker 1: Meat, Yeah, at a stand up and so you're both doing stand up and.
Speaker 2: Is he already doing his YouTube thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, we've been doing crtches online and some character stuff and so, yeah, we met at this very interesting time. It was like twenty I think it was twenty eighteen or twenty nineteen. But basically when I first started, there were so many like clear milestones that a comedian could hit in their career to be like, I'm on my way to what my dreams are, my goals. And then it felt like with the pandemic and then the strikes like so many of these, so many of these like cornerstones of comedy just sort of like went away. Yeah, and so it's been really interesting to see like people have to build their own career paths and like Benny was such a trailblazer in that respect. Yes, and I think his being able to pivot to like you know, traditional legacy media gives a lot of people hope who started online or even you know, even me.
Speaker 2: He gives me.
Speaker 3: It's just like there is there are ways, there are ways, and he's extremely talented, so it's not just like anyone.
Speaker 4: Could do it.
Speaker 1: Well, no, of course, but I think I think that the commitment and the persevering through the different things and also just using your head right because you guys are super smart and you're seeing opportunities to get in there. It gives me hope, you know. And I saw Michael Patrick and I was like, you've got to meet Betting.
Speaker 2: He's like, I've met at me. He's amazing.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So he had like a whole love fest, I know.
Speaker 1: And it's so nice because Michael Patrick was also a stand up. You know, he was, Yes, he was a stand up, possibly not husually a successful stand up right where you would know his name, but he was out there grinding, going to the clubs doing all the things. Now, this is when he was wearing like plaid shirts. He's from Pennsylvania, and he had the curly hair and like, it was a whole different time, a whole different different vibe, very extremely different vibe. But he worked and worked and worked at it and then started writing I think, like punch up jokes for sitcoms and then eventually was hired on Murphy Brown and won an Emmy on Murphy Brown, which was you know, trailblazing in the eighties slash nineties, I guess, and then obviously we got him on the first season of our show Sex and City, thank goodness, because you know, he's been the visionary, you know. I think Darren's vision is about putting things together at the right time.
Speaker 2: He's one of those.
Speaker 1: Producers where he can put the pieces together really brilliantly like someone else and kind of feel the zeitgeisty type thing. So he knew Candice and he optioned her book, but then he brought Michael in because Michael knew how to write jokes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we didn't. The show is so funny.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's surreal because you see these names on your TV as you're watching the shows, and then when you meet the people in real life, it's just like, oh my god, like I've watched you for so many hours, and I feel like the comedy of the show. I mean, I'm sure there was so much criticism of just like having these sexually empowered women on TV back when the show came out, but I think also just the comedy of it all gets overlooked sometimes, where I'm like, first of all, the comedic performances are genius, and I think it is really difficult to like have these and I think that's something we always try to do in Overcompensating, just have these really earned art fault moments, but also the comedy of it all. And sometimes it is physical. Sometimes it is someone like having to swallow a bunch of fish and then going to throw it up at a Charlie XCX concert, which was very fun, which is very funny. But I think it's you don't see as many shows that are able.
Speaker 1: To try or even trying. I think it's a very hard thing to do. And that's one of the things that I did love about our show, and that you know, it's rare to you kind of in a weird way, have to earn that opportunity to even make that show, you know, And then I think actually executing that show is so hard. And that's what I love about the first season of over Compensating. That you start and it's really fun, it's interesting, and you're like, you know, what's gonna happen? Is it going to come out as you you know whatever, And then by the time we get to your episode, it's so deep but also so funny, but so earned, and the whole time you've been wondering, like what's up with her?
Speaker 3: At least I was know that people had a very strong reaction to Grace in the first few episodes.
Speaker 4: I think because the way it was written was like.
Speaker 3: You you do really peel back the layers on all the characters this season progresses, so I think people just saw like, oh, she's a bitch for no reason. But then it was so like expertly done that once we go home and we see more of her interacting with even like her the character of her boyfriend, Yeah, you really start to understand, like what is motivating her.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, she's in some ways like the Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because in the beginning kind of underwritten a very recognizable character.
Speaker 2: Right, you're like, oh, I think I know her, but why is she so uptight? Because you're like, why is she so unhappy? Like that's interesting?
Speaker 1: That's how I felt, right, And then I was like, I hope they're going to give her more, you know, because I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I just was watching by myself in the nighttime, right when the kids are And then it was just such a wonderful payoff when you did finally get to understand and see and also divert a bit from you know, the campus, and yeah, it took a lot of guts, I think to do that in your first season to be able to write that, and then you so beautifully acted it, and it was so you were so rooting for her, you know, and it's just so good.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see the second season.
Speaker 4: A lot of fun things in story. Yeah, it's I think it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: I mean, Benny's so in the zone right now too, Like everything he's sending us to look at is so funny and so beautiful and it is so personal to him. So I think there everyone in the room and on the show on set, everyone feels a lot of like care for the story, yes as well you should, and playing the characters. One thing Benny always talks about with the casting process is like playing these characters with a lot of respect for who they are, not making them these like reductive, sort of dumb college kids, which I feel like you guys also did on Sex and the City. It's like it's so easy to put those four main characters into their little boxes, but you really feel the depth and like the complexities, especially as the show goes on, where it's like, yeah, it just feels like a lot of TV shows and not to I mean I watched so much TV too, and some TV shows they don't need to go so deep.
Speaker 4: But like the ones I go back to those ones.
Speaker 2: Great a great well.
Speaker 1: I mean for us, we never thought we were in our boxes. I mean that's the thing. As an actor, you have to think bigger and deeper. And yeah, you never I mean everyone else is going to do whatever they're going to.
Speaker 4: Do, write and interpret it or whatever.
Speaker 3: I think there's also been a lot of reflection on the show in the in the past few years, people from different generations finding it. It's amazing, and I think that's great and everyone can take what they want from it. But I get very defensive of the characters. I'm like, I just think you don't get it. Maybe you don't get it.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes people don't get it. I mean certainly with them, just like that. People sometimes got it, sometimes didn't get it. And I think a lot of that had to do with how old they were, right, But you're young and you got it, so you never know, right. But with the first show, and I think also Les you're saying perspective, you gain perspective over time and for us. You know, in the beginning, we were like the Girls Show at HBO, you know, and we were the unseerious. We were a big hit. Not not originally, but like say, by season three, which is the episode we're watching, we were I think we'd won our first Golden Globe, I want to say, And we got nominated for an Emmy that year, which we.
Speaker 2: Never thoughtould happened.
Speaker 1: So we got credit for a certain kind of success. But the Sopranos was like.
Speaker 4: The serious, like prestigie whatever.
Speaker 1: And definitely prestigie. I mean we were prestige because we were on HBO. We could say whatever we wanted.
Speaker 4: It's prestige. To me, Well, it's.
Speaker 2: Prestige now, That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: It kind of gained I think it gained importance. I don't know if that's the right word. It gained something in time which has been so rewarding.
Speaker 3: Well, it also feels like, I mean I was a kid at the time, but it was sort of around the same era as like the Spice Girls and all these female pop stars coming up, and I feel like there was this sort of I call it Spice Girls feminism, but it's just this thing of like girl power, and I do feel like maybe it coincided with you.
Speaker 2: Yes, really, it's most definitely most huge audience, Sir Jessica.
Speaker 1: I don't know if she'll be mad at me for saying this, but she used to play that Spice Girls CD in the makeup trailer like over and over and it's so good.
Speaker 4: I mean over and over and over.
Speaker 2: I mean it was a lot. It was a lot.
Speaker 1: And then she would leave, and then Cynthia would put on like, oh my god, Gypsy Rosie like like like who's that belting lady on the Broadway like in the forties or fifties, like the original Gypsy Rosley Thank you. And Cynthia would put on an Ethel Murman, thank you. That's so funny now, I know, and you just be like oh. And then sometimes if they both left, Kim and I would put on classical because we just needed to chill, you know, make.
Speaker 4: A palate cleanser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need a little palate cleanser. It was a lot going on because we also we had to head out on the.
Speaker 4: Street, right, I mean filming in the in the bustling.
Speaker 2: In the middle New York, excited in the.
Speaker 4: It must or it must have been crazy.
Speaker 2: It was crazy in a good way. It added it added a lot.
Speaker 1: I think when you go on to a sound stage, I don't know. Do you guys film out in the world in Toronto?
Speaker 3: Sometimes we do. We have some in studio stuff and then some that's like on location.
Speaker 2: As they say, yes, location, but I would.
Speaker 3: Say sex and the city for Benny and I, they're real people to us, like we talk about it as if we know these people. We have a joke on our podcast that Alexander Petrowski died of COVID because he refused to wear a mask. Don't you think he would We wrote a fake obituation for him.
Speaker 1: Or I mean I I wouldn't even say that out loud because I do not want Barishnikov to die, right and like for me, I can't separate. I get it, I get it, see Like for me, Petrovsky and I have only re seen the episode where we meet him.
Speaker 2: I can't remember why I watched that one.
Speaker 3: That whole stretch is like the way they reveal that he is like kind of a nightmare.
Speaker 4: I don't even remember gut wrenching.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember when she when.
Speaker 3: He cancels on meeting you guys, and then you go there to meet him at a studio and he's so fucking cranky.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't remember this.
Speaker 3: They show up and he's like working on his light installation or whatever. And you know, Samantha's wearing an afro in the scene because she has cancer at the time. It's I mean, that whole stretch is like, it's so And that was when the show really felt more like a movie, like The Last Reason, because it was like a I think they did two half seasons it.
Speaker 1: We really did one season and then they cut it up because I didn't want to pay us more.
Speaker 2: That's how it works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's awesome, yes, and I love that.
Speaker 3: But it really was just like it's so just it was stunning, and I think so many ways we experience that of just like there's this guy that is when you're alone together, it feels like just like magic, of course, but then when you bring in your own life you just see how wrong it is.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait. It's really be interesting, very bath that part. I have like really clear memories of some things. Some things I have no memory. What's so crazy?
Speaker 1: Ever, because we never slept we basically filmed all night long, every night, almost yeah, right till the sun came up, so like you're just not in your right mind. And so some things are really like for instance, the episode We're gonna watch Boy Girl, Boy Girl, because Alanis Morrisett was on, I was very excited, yes, and also Sarah Jessca was very nervous about the kiss. So I went down there. I was not working, but I went down there to be like moral support. But then because Alantis was there and we were trying to like keep it chill, not overreact, you know whatnot.
Speaker 2: I don't know how we did it honestly.
Speaker 1: Right because also like she's really young, like she must have been at the height of like the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I can't even I don't even know how she ended up on her show.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sure it was because it was a massive hit, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean, like did we know someone who knew her? Like how did it happen?
Speaker 3: It's such a funny cameo because it's like very small, so small, so you're like, oh my god, that'ss Morse.
Speaker 1: I mean, and like baby Alanis morris said with the little bread like I love her so much. I can't even I can't anyway, I went down there, but then there were so many people in that party scene that it was like kind of like like overwhelming, and I didn't want to add to it, so I hung back. But Sartus was also really nervous because this is not something that she would be doing right, and it was Atlantis.
Speaker 2: It was a lot going on. So I went down there. Why did I bring this up? I don't know.
Speaker 4: You were up all night.
Speaker 2: I was up all night as always, But also like we were in the bubble.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what I was thinking of, Like you didn't really have other I don't feel like I was tethered to normal life in any way during that time. Like in the beginning, it was on and off, right, like when you're filming, you're in the bubble, But once we really got going, you were just in the bubble all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you guys did so many episodes for most season, and so yeah, I would imagine some things You're like, I just.
Speaker 4: Don't remember that. I don't sometimes I remember something filmed in for.
Speaker 1: Vivid, And also rewatching is so fascinating because of course when you're in it, remember it. One way because you remember what was happening on the set and whether you like the actor you didn't or whatever, it was right, and then now when you look back on it, like like when I watch myself in this episode with Donovan Leach trying to be the man in the photograph, it's just fucking fascinating and so different than how I remembered it.
Speaker 2: It's bizarre. I mean, Charlotte is full of surprises.
Speaker 4: She is, and I think that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I really do feel like, depending on the day, I'm I'm one of the four, just depends on the day.
Speaker 2: Really, wait, so all four are incorporated in this.
Speaker 4: I love it. I really think so of it because I'm very Type A.
Speaker 3: One thing that I think for Charlotte, what I really identify with is she's Type A and she's always willing to put her heart on the line. As many times as she is, like, you know, not even rejected, but as many times as things don't work out. When that next thing presents itself, she's ready to really like throw herself into it, and I really identify with that.
Speaker 4: Also, there was.
Speaker 3: This one moment where I think, you say, like I've been dating men for.
Speaker 4: Ten years, where is he fifteen years where is he? And I think about that line read all the time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: And I also think like Charlotte is certainly you know, there are moments of judgment, but I also think it's because she is maybe has the less. She just hasn't met as many people. And then when she meets I think she is very open minded. And I'm also judgmental and open minded at the same time. Well, that's because I'm a Gemini, so I can be both. And I get it, you know, from Samantha's perspective, like the sexual empowerment I think is really important, and just showing a woman that her age is not limiting her and she dresses or what choices she's making. Yes, and Carrie of course being a little selfish at times and.
Speaker 4: Being a writer. That's how I feel I am.
Speaker 3: And then Miranda being work obsessed and thinking she can do her job just as good as a man, if not better.
Speaker 4: Of course, I mean good.
Speaker 3: Think about having those characters on TV. For me as a high school student, I'm like, I can be anything.
Speaker 4: That was really what I felt like. I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's critiques of it where I'm like, sure, whatever, But to me, I don't see that.
Speaker 4: I see it. I don't see how it limited anyone's worldview.
Speaker 3: I think, if anything, I mean, of course, when I look at it just like that, obviously it's wonderful that there's a more diverse cast and we're seeing people who have very different experiences. But for me at the time, it was it felt like a lot of different experiences, and I.
Speaker 1: Think it was for television at the time, a much broader view of what it meant to be a woman, what it meant to be a woman in the world, and your choices.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm thankful for that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was nice to get to do even a broader view in and just like that. And then you and I were talking briefly before we started. We said we would wait till we got here. You feel that the ending of just like that, that Carrie should find the love you want Carrie to.
Speaker 4: That's what I want because I'm a hopeless romantic.
Speaker 3: And also I think having a life full of beautiful friendships. That's what I have right now in my family that I love. But of course I still want to find a partner. And I just you mentioned and there was criticism when the first series ended about you all being paired off and.
Speaker 2: People were big mad Marybeth.
Speaker 3: Those people are the same people that when I talk about wanting a partner, they say to me, like, you don't need one.
Speaker 4: I'm like, but I want one.
Speaker 2: Well, those are two very different things. Yeah, and why shouldn't you.
Speaker 3: We've watched these characters pursue romantic love and their friendships flourish at the same time. But I still want to see them achieve what.
Speaker 2: They want, right.
Speaker 1: I think that might be one of the interesting points. And I'm not sure because I don't really have closure on it, as I was saying, And I haven't even watched the last two because I'm just in denial, right, And I hope someday that we will come back and do something.
Speaker 2: But I do feel for Carrie.
Speaker 1: If you look at Carrie, because obviously this whole new thing about her being selfish, this was not something that we thought about at the time or would have said at the time.
Speaker 4: Also, make she's the main character, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that we thought of at the time was that we wanted her to be complex, and that was kind of unheard of in a woman main character, right, Like as a woman main characters that you're supposed to be, you know.
Speaker 2: Flirty and sweet.
Speaker 1: And the rom comes of the nine choices exactly make good choices or if you make a bad choice, then regret it and rethink it and change it. Whereas we were just ongoing storytelling in a really you know, free way. It's great and HBO almost said nothing And.
Speaker 4: It feels like real people because they're making mistakes.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's what we wanted.
Speaker 1: And it didn't make any sense to us, at least to me, like when the whole Narcissists Carried Things started, which I feel like was during COVID or at least when I saw it.
Speaker 3: Pop had way too much time, y'all. Don't need to be thinking about sex and the city that much.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed the show fun.
Speaker 1: I find it all fascinating, the way the conversation changes over time, right, And so there was this time of like, we don't like Carrie, and I was like, well, that's bizarre and interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, we need Carrie to go through all this.
Speaker 1: To have a show exactly, you know, and movies and then another show. But I do know what you're saying in terms of like people, I'm single, You know, and people are always very like, you know, please explain yourself. Which is you know, really unfair at a hard is.
Speaker 4: It rocket science? I want to have fun with someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, but that's not where I am at this point, right, So I think that's what confuses people. If I had said that when I was thirty, I don't feel like people would have I don't know what people would have said, because at that point we were trying to avoid these conversations.
Speaker 3: Yeah you could, right, I mean, you'd be surprised the reactions. People look at me like I have you know, six heads. I'm just like, but you're married. The people i'm I'm like the person I'm talking to say, so you get it, like, yeah, I'm not gonna, you know, throw away my whole life in pursuit of romantic love. But obviously that's what I want, like as the one part of my life.
Speaker 1: So people get you like you're crazy because you want something or because you want to have fun.
Speaker 3: Because I want to at this point where I'm at is like I would just love someone to Now I get it's cool fun things, right, and I would love someone to bring that wants to make out with me at the end of the night.
Speaker 4: Does that sound crazy?
Speaker 3: I'm like, I feel like that's kind of normal.
Speaker 2: It is definitely normal. It is definitely normal.
Speaker 1: This is what I think is interesting from my perspective, like the thing that went through my head, because I've definitely gone through many phases as the many times, you know, thirty years i've been doing this, I've had times where I had somebody who would come with me and I just want to say, it can get complicated, you know, and when yeah, it doesn't always go so smooth.
Speaker 3: I know, it's like someone that is like a social socially additive like that doesn't have a good time. I know it is hard, it's so easy. But what I'm looking for is very specific. I think it exists. But yeah, ideally too, you're you're laying the foundation for something that's more long term. But I did back to back long distance relationships for five and a half years, so I'm really I'm okay with, you know, feeling a lot of control over my life right now and not having to fly internationally like every three weeks. But I think, yeah, it's of course I want great. And then that was a lot of fun. And in my twenties I had the energy for it. Now I don't so much, but interesting, I want to call out some scenes from Sex and the City I think about at least once per day.
Speaker 4: I'm your wife and I'm sexual and I love you?
Speaker 2: Explain this? Why are you and Benny so fascinated with it?
Speaker 4: The we love pros and it's just good writing.
Speaker 2: It is good writing.
Speaker 4: And I'm your wife and I'm sexual and I love you.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like, just you don't need any anything else, you don't need any fluff. It's just like it's this woman that just so badly wants to be seen.
Speaker 4: So that's like.
Speaker 3: Also, Kyle McLaughlin's so fabulous in our show, in your show, such an iconic character, and he's so funny and so like just nice, Yeah, like a nice man, and so we loved having him on the show. Then there's a moment where after Carrie is leaving BIG's apartment and Natasha falls and the hospital and she's bag and she says, we are over.
Speaker 4: We need a new word for over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's huge.
Speaker 4: Then there's also.
Speaker 3: When Carrie talks about the pear shaped diamond that's really aid.
Speaker 4: And trying to give her and really good and Samantha.
Speaker 2: He doesn't get her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just such a good reaction.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a million also, like you broke my heart, Carrie Aiden.
Speaker 4: So oh that's really good.
Speaker 3: It's closer to my heart this way when she wears the ring. There's just so many moments that are like brund in my brain. I just yeah, I think it's I mean, we could do a whole other episode about the clothes, and I will say in a single again, I'm I watched the show right after my breakup, and I've been wearing my heels out as I'm wearing right now because I have all these shoes and I'm just like you, the show really inspires me to just like wear the clothes that are hanging in your closet that you were so excited to buy. But that wearing feels like more of like it's going to be like an element of the evening, right and I'm just like, I'll be uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, Jessica would really love you.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I all the characters too, I mean all the different styles that you guys wear.
Speaker 4: It's so true to the characters. But my god, you look good. Thank you. I mean every outfit is flattering.
Speaker 1: It's oh thank you. They weren'd hard man, I mean, I mean it was. It was such a process and Pat very genius level, and Molly, who was with us from the beginning, who didn't just like that. I mean, we have such an incredible time and it is it's a rare, rare situation that you get to have, like, first of all, just total freedom and coture.
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 1: And you know, back in the day it was a hardcore cuture where like we felt the pressure to have the newness and remember there's a whole drama about sir Jisca wanted I can't remember who it was something and it was on the runway and so we had to send an assistant to roam or oh my god, stood waiting for it to come off the runway, took it, got on a plane, flew back.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, that's amazing.
Speaker 6: I know, but fully insane because it's artistry, like at every level, which it was beautiful, yes, And that's the thing that people would ask me about with the show, the first show especially, and true with the second show in a slightly different way, but the first show, because there was nothing else like it, right, and like in the beginning when we had Molly come on and talk about the costumes.
Speaker 1: In the beginning, she said, we had ten thousand dollars for the whole first season.
Speaker 4: Nuts, it seems that just seems like fiction.
Speaker 2: No, it's true, that's true.
Speaker 4: Well she did a great job. I mean did they did a great job.
Speaker 1: But there was play Century twenty one down at the tip of Manhattan all there.
Speaker 2: Yes, remember they lived there. People used to think Molly worked there wear the belts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she probably knew she did, she did, And I remember going there with them and like you know that there's a little tiny green skirt with the ruffle in the back. Thing is Sella McCartney Century twenty one.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But it took a while for us to build up our relationship with the designers, to get things lent to us. Like we first of all, no one knew what we were doing. Second of all, it took a while. We had to be photographed a certain amount of time. And then Sir Jessica had her good relationships and she was kind of a good example of like how to make a relationship with designers.
Speaker 2: You had to go to the shows back in.
Speaker 1: The day, and like kind of like pay homage and work on that relationship and return everything immediately in pristine conditions. Respect for the garments, right, respect absolutely, And also they needed them, they needed those samples, yeah, you know, but also there was a lot of pressure about that, you know what I mean. But when I look back on it, I mean I just felt the pressure at the time, you know what I'm saying, Like, was I thin enough? That was really my major conversation in my head.
Speaker 2: You know, not fun, but that was the truth. And then also like were we you know, was Charlotte?
Speaker 1: Like I was always really concerned about the character, you know what I'm trying to say, which when I look back on I'm like, yeah, it was good. You guys, this is so much fun that weird have to have a part two, so join us later in the week on are You a Charlotte