Speaker 1: This episode Patriots Postgame Show is presenting by Draft Cans.
Speaker 2: This is the Patriots Postgame Show presented by Draft Kings.
Speaker 1: Marsh shot dive to the episode Touchdown.
Speaker 2: Patriots join the conversation by calling into the DPX hotline at eight five five Pats five hundred or email the show at podcast at Patriots dot com.
Speaker 1: And off to Stevenson.
Speaker 3: Well, let's clip big Hole across the forty, cuts left the forty five and steam rolls the Defender.
Speaker 2: There live from our studios inside Jullette Stadium.
Speaker 1: Here's Matt Smith. Hey, you ready over there? Well, time to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you might know you've been gone a long time. I don't shine shoes no more.
Speaker 1: You got to open the show and look there's I got all these papers in front of me, got all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Uh, people are blaming you for the loss, just to let you know. That's the word from the UK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because first loss on the Patriots season. And what's different is that I'm here so correct. I take full accountability. Welcome into the Patriots Postgame Show, which is presented by DraftKings, Sarah, I got one thing done correctly. Welcome in and you're you're welcome to join us here eight five five pats five hundred call into the TPX outline. You can also email the show. It's a new email address. Podcasts plural at Patriots dot com. Hardy, Paulparillo, Mike des here to break down the loss to the Jaguars in London thirty two sixteen The final, Boy, it did not appear to be trending that way early in the game. Your initial thoughts, please, Paul Parillo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I thought they you know, a lot of our keys had to do with getting off to a better start, and I thought they got exactly that. They have a beautiful drive to open the game. Eleven play sixty eight yards six twenty eight off the clock, seven to nothing. They respawd with a three and out defensively, then they get the ball, they drive again, twelve play field goal drive and you're like, okay, here we go ten nothing getting to play the game on your terms. Nothing after that was positive at all. This was a butt whoopan I mean, Jacksonville was vastly superior for the last three quarters of this game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I just I'm in shock with the defense. I think I said it before. I was worried about they just Jacksonville had their number all day long, whether they I mean when they run eighteen straight times at one point, I think that kind of says it all in a game where you know your couple scores down, I mean, it's not a total blowout at that point, but Jacksonville just able to control the line of scrimmage all day long.
Speaker 5: So many of the runs it just looked like we were joking Paul in the middle of it. Where have your pick? Which hole do you want?
Speaker 4: I mean, who was the old running back from Pittsburgh used to live Leveon Bell. You know, it was like one of those where he kind of like pause for a second and you're like, would I go here?
Speaker 5: Should I go there?
Speaker 4: Dominant effort on the ground from the Jacksonville jag I thought they're attack early on, especially through the air. Targeting some of the Patriots linebackers was dead on. And you know Trevor Lawrence, I mean, he's he's a really good player. He had time and they picked them apart. However, they kind of wanted pretty much from the second quarter on.
Speaker 1: And they really didn't even have to do it in a common sense approach, you know, at a halftime, Trevor Lawrence I think was nine of ten on his completions.
Speaker 3: And for the game he's fifteen for twenty four hundred and ninety three yards.
Speaker 1: So you would think, oh, with that kind of success in the passing game, they must have thrown the ball a lot. No, they went out ran the ball in the second half and we're doing it at will. So why take the chance of anything going wrong in the passing game when you can run the ball too? Well? Weren't you completing a lot of throws? Yeah, but we didn't even have to just go out there and run the ball and pick up first down after first down, and just take time off the clock and build upon that lead that that you had at halftime, when again it looked like you'd jump out to that ten nothing lead. This is what we wanted from the Patriots. Play with the lead and see how that works. Well, if you're going to be so porous defensively, it doesn't work that way. It only works when you can get stops and they couldn't get.
Speaker 3: And I have a confession to make, and I was you know, everybody that listens to the show, you know, remembers, you know, the good old days right when I used to have the nod. I was pretty close to like giving a nod today, Like I personally thought the game was over, you thought there was gonna be a nod. I thought Jacksonville looked lifeless, like we had all talked about heading in, you know, throughout the week. The first quarter, I thought Josh heinz Allen looked like he had no interest whatsoever being on the field for Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: The Cisco that.
Speaker 3: Guy, he looked like he had no interest in tackling.
Speaker 1: I was pretty close, you know.
Speaker 3: The Patriots looked like they they had brought some intensity, you know, a renewed energy, and I was pretty close to saying if the Patriots could have gotten a stop on that drive and they go up ten nothing, I was like that, this is it. And then Jacksonville went right down the field and scored and it never got stopped.
Speaker 4: The hasty TD it kind of looked like, is anyone gonna tackle Let me Josh Hall.
Speaker 3: There was no interest whatsoever in tackling the Jacksonville in that first drive. And then to their credit, their defense played well the last three quarters.
Speaker 1: There's something that happened toward the end of the game. Which bugs me to no end. It bugs me when I see it in virtually any game.
Speaker 3: Something tells me that's gonna come up on the bad list.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I don't know if it's going to because you may defend it as as a scholar of the game point.
Speaker 3: Without knowing exactly what you're gonna say. I'm gonna go on a limit say I'm not gonna defend it.
Speaker 5: Oka all on the same page.
Speaker 4: Maybe we'll see what you say, but I think we might be Do.
Speaker 1: You want me to say it now? Can I just say it right now? Going for the two point when you're down fifteen, All right, let's get the two point conversion out of the way. Now, Why why, why, why don't you make it an eight point game? And if by some miracle you make it back to the end zone, you'll have the momentum of having scored twice and everything is on your side at that point, and now you know you have it. Instead, you put yourself where you know we still got to score two more times. Well you didn't have to. If you just got it to within eight, then a touchdown and two point conversion still ties the game. Instead, we're gonna shoot ourselves in the foot early on on this and put ourselves into a position where we're playing from behind the eight ball again. I don't get it. I see it. I see it all the time, and the book tells all these guys the same thing, go for too early. I don't understand the mentality. You know what you need, you know what you need.
Speaker 5: That's what everyone just says.
Speaker 3: You'd be safe at home.
Speaker 5: Do you want to do?
Speaker 6: You want?
Speaker 5: You want to go? You want me to No, you can go?
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: I like my mind is and we're complaining about the same thing. But even when you get to the point where the Patriots get the ball back and they're down nine points, it's like your whole team demeanor is different than if you get it back and you're down eighty points. You're like, hey man, we're one score away. Now, it's like you're down nine. Even if you go down and score, you know you're gonna have to do it again.
Speaker 5: I don't get it.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there'll be someone who calls in and dismissively just gives us the well, you want to know what you need? That that line, which I still I'm with you, guys.
Speaker 5: I don't get it. I don't get it.
Speaker 4: Get within one score, and like you said, Hardy, have the momentum.
Speaker 5: If you score again and then get the two pointer.
Speaker 1: And to any time you've you know, you can point to it as a success and someone will inevitably bring up the Super Bowl. Well, you know, you go for it. You go for two early enough. You see what happened. Tom Brady ain't back there. That's number one and number two. It is not a three or four score game.
Speaker 3: It's a two score the twos in the Super Bowl with necessity, they were down sixteen. They needed two touchdowns and two two's.
Speaker 1: Yes, but.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get to this a little bit more. But I will just say I understand, and this is I love the way Mike said it. Someone's gonna call in and you can disagree with me all you want. I don't care, but Mike said it perfectly. Going to call in and dismissively tell us why we're wrong, and it drives me insane. I'm not I'm not gonna dismissively tell you you're wrong, but I'm gonna give you a lot of reasons why I think it was wrong to go for two.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 3: You know again, we'll we'll get into it, but I understand it's not easier to get the two point conversion in the final seconds than it would be to get it when you get as long as you will submit for me that it wasn't easier to get it when they went for it with eight minutes and twenty two seconds left.
Speaker 1: Like that's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: These analytics guys tell you, Why is it easier to get it in the final minute? Then if you don't get it, the game's over. Well I got news for you. When you didn't get that with eight twenty two left, the game was old.
Speaker 1: Game was over. Yeah, I'd rather d the game late as opposed to earlier.
Speaker 3: I would rather make the other team have to make you know this is game on the line.
Speaker 1: One play and do you believe it? Yeah? Do you believe in momentum? Do you believe it is at Mike's point? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: So this is a trickle down effective things that happened. You ended up after that with a fourth and twenty six. You still had two timeouts left about two twenty five left in the half, So you had two timeouts in the two minute warning on fourth and twenty six. Had you only been down eight at the time, hardy.
Speaker 9: Yes, you could have punted to see if you could get a three and out usually two timeouts in the two minute warning and get the ball back with two minutes left.
Speaker 1: Down eight. You can't do that.
Speaker 3: But down down nine, don nine, We got to go for fourth and twenty six.
Speaker 5: But you don't know what you're gonna need.
Speaker 3: But but the good news was they knew what they needed.
Speaker 5: I know they needed at least you knew.
Speaker 1: At least you know.
Speaker 3: And again you might put it perfectly. Someone's gonna tell us why we're stupid, and that's fine.
Speaker 1: Like I get it.
Speaker 3: I just don't explain to me the reason. Like I understand what your reason is. I disagree with it, like it's Chris Rose did it during the games like this, you know at some point is there gonna be a two point conversion classic. I understand all the reasons that people say. I can live with the down fourteen thing. Down fourteen in the fourth quarter. A lot of teams now, when you get that first touchdown, you go for two because you're trying to win in regulation. If I can get the first one, then I can kick it on the second one and win. I don't agree with it, but I understand that at least I'm still within a score. The nine point thing, to me is indefensible.
Speaker 4: That's it, the nine point And that's such a difference between eight points and nine points for the team's point of view at the end of the game, like you're down by eight, you just need a play it, really, like you know you're gonna be right in it with a play. My mindset down nine is completely different if I'm an offensive player.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest. I watched the last three quarters of that game. Had the Pigeons kicked the extra point and got within eight, do I think that they would have had a chance. No, I think that they got thoroughly blasted on that last drive. Like, I don't think they would have had a better chance to get a three and out if they were only down eight than nine. But I would have liked to have gotten the ball back at the end down one score instead of two.
Speaker 1: It would have been more. Yeah, got that too much, that's all. No, that's it, that's it. That's it. That's all we really wanted. So we'll get to your phone calls here, We'll get to your emails once again. Podcasts plural at Patriots dot Com eight five to five, Pats five hundred. We'll get them loaded up here. But first, it's the good, it's the bad, it's the injured. Were still calling it that. Now it's time for the good.
Speaker 2: But goody, pretty good, the bad, and the injured.
Speaker 3: Ah ah, you are right, guy, Good, the bad, and the injured, brought to you by the good players, the bad players, and the injured players.
Speaker 1: In today's thirty two to sixteen loss to the Jaguars in London, Hardy filling in for Matt Smith or Paul Parbrello, Mike dess as the honor of leading us off on the lengthy good list. Mike, where will you start?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna start with Drake May. I'm gonna put him on there. Great start.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's more of a an overall thing. I mean, they know they lost the game, but didn't turn the ball over today. I thought there were some strides with that, and there were a couple we can probably say those a little close, which I'll take though. I'll take close, going from you know, four turnervers who was last week to none that it's just close ones.
Speaker 5: But I just was impressed with how comfortable he looked out there.
Speaker 4: I thought that was just to me, especially right out of the gate, it was like, man, this this kid really looks like he's settling in a little bit. Had some some nice pockets at times, you know, didn't really get himself into much trouble. I'm sure of all this stuff, we can probably go through and find a play here, play there where. It wasn't quite perfect for him, but you know, went quiet for a long time with the offense. I kind of put that a little bit more on the play calling when all of a sudden, we're trying to run the ball a little more. I love they came out, they were throwing the ball. Wanted to see them kind of pick that back up, hit a few big passing plays at the end with their with their last scoring drive that they had. So I just thought, in a bubble, Drake, may this throw You're scene right here to Hunter Henry, right on him, you know, throwing it right as he's coming out of the break. So I just thought it was a real nice developmental day from Drake. I wish that the defense could have given him some extra opportunities, gotten some more stops maybe than we would have seen even more out of him, but in the limited action that he was able to kind of sling it out there. I liked what I saw from him.
Speaker 3: So I had may on my list as well. Some of the things that Mike said of the reasons too. You know, when I was doing my chin wag, yeah on my.
Speaker 1: Shows, Yeah, on one of your shows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chris Gasper actually asked me, you know, what are you looking for for Drake Maye today? What kind of strides would you like to see? And you know, I dismissed like the turnover thing, because like obviously, no one wants to see their quarterback turning the ball over. But I said, I'd like to see him look a little bit more settled and comfortable, especially early in the game. In the pocket, Mike just talked about it. I thought we really saw that. I thought he was real. He looked really comfortable with the game plan, and I thought he didn't look like he was running around into pressure as much early, especially early in this game, as he did last week. Now, the turnover thing is is kind of circumstantial to you know, Mike alluded to it. He threw a couple of he had both about three turnover worth he plays two flat out dropped interceptions. So how much differently do you look at the game if he had two interceptions, Probably a little bit, but I would stay with the same. I thought he looked more settled, more in charge of the offense. You know, you see the difference on some of the balls downfield. You know, the ball to Booty was a really really nice throw. So yeah, I had Drake May on my good list too.
Speaker 1: I had him on there for a reason that I will I will tag here when it's my turn to go for the U for the good list. But yeah, twenty six and thirty seven for the two hundred and seventy six yards, the two touchdowns, no picks, a couple that were real close, but some of the some of the game stuff that you're talking about, Paul, the ability to recognize at this point, I could just throw the ball at the at the feet of my running back here a great uh and and and and get away with an incompletion here as opposed to a loss. Stuff like that. Good, Okay, I'll take it. We'll put him on the good list, all right.
Speaker 3: Again, second game, if this is like second game of his third season, and again, all of the productions coming when the game's over. I'm not as forgiving, you know, but that play that he made right before the touchdown to Osborne, that's a really really good play.
Speaker 1: That's a savvy veteran play.
Speaker 3: I'm going to roll out here, he's going to get me, but I got to back right there. I'm going to backhand it right at his feet, live to fight another down.
Speaker 1: That was a really, really good play. I'm glad I was a student enough to recognize it and bring it up and somehow be elevated in the eyes of Paul. You got a little ball knower and thing or two about a thing or two? What's your first good Paul ball? All right?
Speaker 3: So kind of in line with that is I'm going to give Alex van Pelt in the coaching staff a lot of credit for breaking the mold like they they broke that start thing that we're talking about, first drive touchdown in how many games like since Pittsburgh last year?
Speaker 1: I think. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I thought their opening script was was incredible. It really had Jacksonville looking like every bit the team that had to quit against Chicago last week. So I thought everything that they did, they came out throwing the ball I think they threw it on something like six of the first seven plays. Something, you know, something in that neighborhood. They got may comfortable right away in a mix too, not just like bombing away some some downfield throw, some underneath stuff, some quick, some a little bit slower developing, and you know, unfortunately, when that script was up, uh, the offense went went south. But I just thought the opening game plan. You know, they usually script about fifteen plays, and it let's see, what were the two scoring drives eleven and twelve, So that's you know, it was twenty three plays that that opening script obviously was very effective. I want to give alexaman Pelt a little credit.
Speaker 1: That was my That was my first good the the opening drive. And you know, we've seen it for years. I used to kind of lament the fact that, even when Tom Brady was here, you'd have that amazing opening drive, you'd have the scripted plays, the ten twelve plays to get you downfield score, and then things would stall and I could never wrap my head around our defenses figuring things out that early in the game. But is that really all you came in with in terms of your whole plan? That's your whole plan. Get her. You know you're gonna come out with an opening drive and not have much planned after that, but we've been lacking even that for what seems like a while. I was happy to see it return. Part of my Drake May good came on how good things looked and that on those opening two drives, and Drake may went beyond that and played well beyond that for portions beyond those opening drives. So he belongs, I think, on the good list anyway. But kudos to both Vampelt and to the Patriots offense for figuring things out and coming out with the league, which is one of the things we wanted. That's one of the things I think we universally want to get out there. Score first play with the lead. See how that works out for you. We know how it did, but you know that's another story for another time. Yeah, all right, I got Hardy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you want to put somebody on here.
Speaker 1: Well, the opening drive was mine, so Paul took mine, so I'll go to my second. That was Hunter Henry. Yeah, Hunter Henry eight catches on nine target targets for ninety two yards. He has become, you know, the only thing close to dependable in terms of a target for Drake May. And you know there there was the one off side penalty that you really you can't afford, especially if you're Hunter Henry. You're a veteran. You you can't not know the snap count. I get it. That was you could see drop Mail was really frustrated with Henry after that call. But in terms of being a weapon, he's he's it. He's it in terms of somebody that that Drake May can can look forward to to come down with a catch and help you move the chains little bit. So Hunter Henry was my first good yeahs almost.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a kind of a cliche, the veteran tight end of you know, supporting the rookie quarterback. But some big catches for Hunter Henry. Another big, big game for him, ninety something yards receiving.
Speaker 5: So yeah, he's uh, he's been.
Speaker 4: The safety blanket and hopefully that that relationship can continue to.
Speaker 3: Deep one down the scene that that catch was sick. Yeah, yeah, he was covered like a blanket on that play. Kind of head topped Darnell Savage. Yeah yeah, I mean he's been he's been really good and he was really good today.
Speaker 1: All Right, what else he got dos.
Speaker 4: Oh, come on, kid, I got nothing else.
Speaker 1: Come on, I got nothing else. Come hold on.
Speaker 5: Usually Paul's got some nuance the second court.
Speaker 1: No, he checked out.
Speaker 3: See the list, I checked all the three off the goods, the goods over here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, that's that was it. I mean, where else where else you're gonna point to.
Speaker 4: Joey Slide did make all his kicks though, didn't he?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's put him on the good list.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess if you wanted to just sort of like, you know, individual play, you know, like Hasty makes a nice little catch and run for the touchdown, but like we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Play like play, right, Yeah, I get it's not enough. It's not enough. All right, let's get to it. Deuce. Yeah, you're up again.
Speaker 4: I mean, first bad take your pick on the defense. I mean I don't I don't know where to where to point the finger. I guess I'm just gonna start by point at the coaching. I just think like it's it's a it's a big thing. I'm not even really going to pick on too many individual defensive defensive players. But this is everything that's been happening in the last couple of weeks and they look powerless to stop it. They got run over for one hundred and fifty yards plus third week in a row. They just they they had no answers today. I mean, at one point we looked at Paul and he said, really, the only plays they made to a certain point were just in completions that you know, Jacksonville kind of dropped or like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Lawrence throws one off of Kyle Kyle Douglas face mask for one incompletion, Tank Bigsby drops a screen for another one. You know, Christian Kirk, you know, may may not have gotten that second footage bounds. Like, they didn't have any like failed plays, you know, until like until Jacksonville inexplicably decided not to make it a three score game and and went forward on fourth in less than a yard and then the Patriots stopped him.
Speaker 6: That was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they nothing. I mean, a couple of those red zone stops. You could look at the stats and say those looked okay, But I mean after that first you know drive, they didn't focut the f stops.
Speaker 3: On eleven minute, twenty two second dry they don't do much for.
Speaker 4: Him, and that points to it. I mean you know that eleven minute drive. It's this is where the game's in the balance. This is where you're you're kind of scrapping your way back into it, or you're holding on by a thread. At least they couldn't make the plays.
Speaker 5: They can't.
Speaker 4: You know, were there any real like pressure, was there any you know, there's none of that. Like we said, with the run defense especially, I guess I'll put that in the crossairs at the top too. It's just you're not gonna win football games if you can't stop the run.
Speaker 1: The defense, the pass defense. You know, just as a collector may have been up there too, but Trevor Lawrence only attempted twenty passes. They didn't have to twenty passes one night.
Speaker 5: It was just like.
Speaker 4: It felt like at a certain point, every time they get the ball, even when it was competitive.
Speaker 5: They were getting four or five six.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like if Jacksonville decided to do what they did, you know, like there was one stage in the fourth quarter, I think they ran the ball something like.
Speaker 1: Eighteen straight plays.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like if they threw it eighteen straight plays the results have been the same, Probably because I do.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, I mean that's all they wanted.
Speaker 4: It looked all day like that, and I mean, I just I mean, like, let's call it what it is.
Speaker 5: That looked to me like.
Speaker 4: The worst defense in the NFL out there on the field today.
Speaker 3: Like that has to hurt, Mike, It does hurt.
Speaker 4: But you know what, I'm a fan of extremes though, so it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Bad, reactionary extreme, Like I don't.
Speaker 5: Want it to just be like, well, it was bad, but it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Like if you're gonna be bad, you gotta be really bad, and they were.
Speaker 3: I agree with everything Mike said. I don't have any defensive defensively, just you have it.
Speaker 1: We have added ball. No, don't sell yourself short. We both added to it. But it's time to move on. We have a lot to get to it.
Speaker 3: This stacred and sixty four yards and like, I think it could have been more than you kept. You know, they lost a possession with the with the bunt return. Otherwise that would have been another ninety yards drive.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was four and a half a running play, but it seemed like that's low.
Speaker 1: I mean, because it got off to.
Speaker 3: A reasonable like the first couple of runs were stuffed. I thought they came out, you know, the first I think the first drive that was a three and out. They it was like run, run, and they got nothing. And then all of a sudden it changed, and it changed because they started throwing the ball on them and once they had success throwing the ball.
Speaker 4: I just I get the feeling that all of a sudden, we might see a shift this week, especially on you guys's shows, which I guess I'm kind of part of it now too, so yeah, on our shows, on our on our show.
Speaker 5: But it's it's it's wow.
Speaker 4: The offense, I mean, and it wasn't it wasn't an absolute, you know, disaster for Drake May. And then the protection and now everyone's going to come for the defense and what that means and why I got this bad and all. I mean, it's already I just want to make a pout.
Speaker 1: The offense crossairs a little bit.
Speaker 3: I would have wholeheartedly agreed that with Drake May playing, it's different, so I look at it different. I had Drake May on my good list. I agree with everything that Mike said about Drake May. The bottom line is the offense, this is now two weeks in a row, has been very similar in production to.
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 3: Yes, they don't score, they don't move the ball like consistently for the game. Again, your sub three hundred yards of total offense this week was even I think more glaring than last week in terms of you piled up about one hundred yards that were meaningless. At least last week there was more time left when you scored. You know, this week it was kind of like you just get up an eleven and a half minute drive. You haven't done anything since the first quarter, and all of a sudden, you have a thirty two yard scene route to Hunter Henry that he makes an unbelievable catch on, followed by a thirty three yard pass to Kaishan Boody. They did nothing basically for the last three quarters of this game.
Speaker 5: That's a great preemptive strike. I feel like everyone's just.
Speaker 4: Sick of talking, but everybody no, no, Today they're going to be like, now it's time, we're going to kill this defense.
Speaker 3: And the difference to me today from last week is today you got off to a really good start offensively, You were really really.
Speaker 1: Good in the first quarter. You set the defense up for success.
Speaker 3: The defense let you down today, whereas last week, the defense kind of got hung out to drive by the turnaments.
Speaker 5: Sure you know you didn't do that and they.
Speaker 3: But this to me was every bit as bad as last week defensively, and the offense helped them early on. So yeah, there was just nothing really good.
Speaker 5: They can't get off the field.
Speaker 3: They can't get off the field. But was it six for ten seam worse than that one drive? That eleven minute drive had like three or so right in a row. There are down conversions?
Speaker 5: Yeah, three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're supposed to be doing the good list here, guys, come on, you know we're doing the bad list. Oh that's right, the bad list. Sorry, I'm sorry, but we got off the good list so quickly I couldn't even believe we're already onder the bad list. All right, So I defense.
Speaker 5: A lot of a lot of that at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, so everything encompassing the defense, But when you're talking about offensively and and you know where things go wrong beyond that on that first drive, because on the first drive, multiple receivers targeted, you know, multiple players employed involved. Absolutely, But if you're going to start going bad on the offense, ball not that this is your first, bab, but I'm curious as to where you start.
Speaker 3: I would start with Jalen Polk, I you know, and this is he's a rookie, and I get it. And right there, I had a whole thing this week, you know, and I I'm not like the kids played now seven games. I'm not out on Jalen Polk. I'm still not out on them, but it's not trending in the right direction. And I was a little troubled Mike By and Mike and I talked about this during the weekend. I was very surprised that Mike agreed with me on this because it's something that normally we would odds and he's a contrarian.
Speaker 10: He is.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 3: So there was a couple of things, and I mentioned, you know, he had the clips that he's like, you know, putting up about the referees of screwing them, you know, with these plays that are clearly out of bounds. Right, And then he and I went back to that comment, like he got really mad at the fans because they're not with them. You know, if they're not with us, we don't want them, you know, Like he haven't played a game yet, bro right, you know. And now the most recent thing, which at the time I made this rant that I'm talking about with Mike, I didn't even know about yet because it hadn't happened. Gerd Meos says, yeah, you know, he's he's fighting it a little bit. He's got a mental hurdle he's probably got to need to get over a little bit after the drops last week.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: He responds by saying, I don't have any mental issues. I had the best hands in football. Then he goes out and drops the first two balls thrown in his direction today.
Speaker 1: Correct, So two things about that bothered me. Number one is the best hands in football thing. There's one thing to have confidence. Then there's one thing to just you know, speak, you know. And Mike Jusso ask hyperbole, right, I mean that's crazy. But the fact that he can't make a distinction between his head coach saying something as a knock you is you got a mental block there and him taking it as I'm not crazy, I'm out. I don't have anything meant not really soft. Yeah, what do you call me like some kind of mental defective air? No, no, no, no, one's saying that, Jalen. That is not at all what is being said about you but to take it so personally and to take it so seriously where he's trying to help. He's trying to help you. He's saying you're a good player. He's saying you've got good hands. It's just a little little confidence iss you get over that. You should be taking that as a positive as opposed to getting your feathers ruffled over it. To me, that really says to me that.
Speaker 3: That validated with Mike and I were talking about during the week when he had that comment about Mail, like, you know, I'm not Yeah, I don't have any mental problems, So I think it We figured it out last week. It was ten catches on twenty three targets or something like that. So he was zero for three today, three targets.
Speaker 1: No catches.
Speaker 3: That doesn't count the two point conversion that he slips and falls on.
Speaker 1: Yep, it was. It was a slippery field.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: It was so he's he's just not he's not been reliable for them. And I thought if there was one word I could I could put on him out of training camp. Mike knows that I'm not wasn't super super high on him. But the one thing I would say that I was oppressed with was his reliability. He was dependable. You threw it to him, he caught it. It wasn't always the biggest gains, but he caught it. Right now, we're having problems making connections with him. The off field stuff is a concern with him. He's trending in the wrong direction.
Speaker 4: What hurts is you need him right now, and that's you know, you're not going to get very far with just Hunter Henry and Sorry Douglas to catch his fourteen yards. I don't know if they gave him any specific attention. I know he was kind of in and out during the game, which is something with Douglas.
Speaker 3: Douglas, Yeah, he had an illness and I should mention that Polk ended up not finishing the game with the head injury injury and they declared him late in the game as being out for the game.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what's.
Speaker 4: Going just they need that guy though, They need somebody on the outside, and I mean, you're not going to be able to get it done with just a tight end and a slot receiver, and they're waiting for one of these guys to step up. Booty's one big catch a game. That's that's not gonna. He wasn't making happen.
Speaker 3: He wasn't open today. A couple of times they looked his way. One of them was got erased by a penalty. But the one time he got open, he made the playdown the field. But there was a couple of balls thrown in his general direction. I don't know if they were necessarily targeted to him, but he didn't look like he was as open today as he was at times last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they need somebody else.
Speaker 4: They need, they need a receiver to step up.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna throw one out here on the bad list, and I want you guys to explain to me why it's not all that bad or why I'm looking at it the wrong way. Okay, but I have Ramandria Stevenson on my bad list today. Okay, I won't necessarily push back on it, but this is a case of you know, and we've talked about this many times over the years. Philosophically, we're looking at is from a very patriot centric standpoint of the game. If you're watching this game as a neutral observer, do you say Ramandre Stevenson had a bad game or the Jacksonville run defense was very good. I get it.
Speaker 3: He got a little existential crisis there that you got going on.
Speaker 1: Because what more did you both? What more did you want him to do today that he didn't do. It's not like you fumbled the ball, No, you know, it's it's not like he was running backwards and trying to improvise. There was There were plenty of instances today. There was just nowhere for him to go.
Speaker 3: I would agree with that, Mike. Do you he wasn't necessarily on my list, but I'm not necessary. I don't think it was like a what are you crazy? He had a great game?
Speaker 1: No, Kevin seven for eighteen. That's kind of how I felt about thirty eight rushing yards total for the team to day.
Speaker 4: It was just kind of it was kind of how I felt about the defense to where it was just like eighteen of them from dr a bad effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your running backs combined for twenty yards today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the game, which is weird because you thought, I don't believe it.
Speaker 1: Look at that it's over here for me.
Speaker 5: I mean, you would have thought after they got out to.
Speaker 4: A ten point lead that they'd have more than fifteen carries in the whole game, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they couldn't they couldn't run the ball. I think that they I think they wanted to throw it to get a lead Mike and get off to a good start with Drake May, and then they wanted to sort of mix in the run.
Speaker 1: And you had mentioned in the middle of your your Drake May boosh that the play call.
Speaker 3: I didn't think there was really anything wrong with play calling today. I just don't think they executed it all in the last three quests.
Speaker 4: It might have literally just boiled down to a couple like first and second down throws on those middle possessions where they ended up having a punk where it.
Speaker 3: Just felt like he got a little wild in the.
Speaker 5: You know, there was a couple I mean there was one driver. They went backwards.
Speaker 4: I think that might have been the first punt to day, like even the field goal.
Speaker 3: The field goal drive, I thought he had borne coming across and you kind of threw a wobbler that looked like he came out of his hand a little funny, a little bit out in front of him. I thought it could have been caught, but it wasn't a great throw. I thought he got a little a little way, but yeah they did. They didn't run the ball well at all today, not all where else.
Speaker 1: You want to go on the bad list their duce.
Speaker 4: Ah God, I feel like I'm just so mad at the defense. Can I go back to them again?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I just big plays, big plays again. And that's I mean, maybe it's under the same umbrella as what I said earlier.
Speaker 3: But the bomb was a big, big play in the game momentum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's just they can't stop the big plays.
Speaker 5: And that's you know when.
Speaker 4: You just you talk about fundamental defense hardy when you're team up in the pregame show, and that's you know, it's one thing to be bad at tackling, but then if you start giving up big plays, it's just it's pick your poison right now. In a bad way for the Patriots defense, they can't get off blocks, they can't make tackles for losses in the run game, you know, they can't really put the offense in it, you know, in bad situations. Everything just felt like the whole game from that first possession on was Trevor Lawrence and the Jags kind of dictating what they wanted to do. And oh yeah, they got a penalty, so all right, a little all right, but they just made it right back okay, in another eight yard run.
Speaker 5: So so big yard big plays.
Speaker 1: The bomb the past to Thomas fifty eight yards, okay, which which set up the second.
Speaker 5: I mean, let's put Gonzo in there. Maybe we can put gonzwn I.
Speaker 3: Had zero bomb, you know, you know that whole that whole sequence, because that's a six play, eighty eighty two.
Speaker 1: Yard drive something like that. Watching it in real times for eighty two, I had the same thought that you did, Paul, which was the coverage wasn't bad on that? Yeah? Then I saw the replay and then you see that Tomas he gets he gets behind him, and let's let's give Trevor Lawrence credit here. Throw what a pass? Yeah, good throw in good catch, Yeah, good throw, good catch. But that is the momentum changer for that game. You jump out to a ton nothing lead, and after that pass, you put the Jags in position to take the lead fourteen to ten.
Speaker 3: I agree, and that's it. That's I mean, that's a good throw too. To Christian Kirk, you know, I thought, like I said, I thought, if if Jacksonville wanted to make this, you know, like a forty forty pass attempt game. I think it would have been thirty two to sixteen. Yeah, you know, like I just think they could have done whatever they wanted. And that was too easy, by the way.
Speaker 1: That was that the.
Speaker 3: First touchdown, the one to thomasin right in the middle, that was way too easy. He was wide open right off the snap. You could see it on the on the television screen.
Speaker 5: You didn't need the ALL twenty two.
Speaker 1: I didn't need the ALL twenty two.
Speaker 3: I just needed two eyes and needed too, not twenty two.
Speaker 5: There it comes there.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 3: So like you watch that, you see like like see here's where you can see how much he gets beat by. Look, that's a lot of separation right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's two folds, you know. And if I think if.
Speaker 3: The throw the throw was the throw was pretty good, but I think if the throw was more toward the middle of the field, he might catch that in stride.
Speaker 4: And uh, it's a lot on Gonzalez right now, but they need they need more from him, I mean the last couple of weeks. I mean, if they're going to be this bad on defense, you just have to be able to count on something and right now he's just, you know, a little bit off.
Speaker 5: With these really good receivers.
Speaker 4: Digs last week on the touchdown, similar kind of plate this week. Brian Thomas, who's the youngster. Brian Thomas just kind of had the edge on them all day.
Speaker 1: And unfortunately for Gonzales, it's not like things got easier for him within the division this pass.
Speaker 4: Why did someone get a new star receives.
Speaker 1: He's a couple of couple of teams, a couple of guys worried about that.
Speaker 3: And I keep saying the same thing with Gonzales, And I know people think I'm a broken record, and I am, But when I see the locked up one on one, I see that a lot, and I wonder if that's why they don't lock him up one on one with the other team's best receiver. I know the announcers say it every week, but Evan comes in every Tuesday and tells me that that's not the case. He comes in with numbers of how many times he's man to man on the other team's number one receiver, and it's not anywhere near as often as it's sort of made out to be. In the aftermath of these games, you know. I mean, you had someone on Twitter today claim that Michael Winnu allowed his first sack of the season as a tackle. I'm like, I'm sorry, that's not true. Like, I don't care if you credited him with giving up a tackle. He's given up tons of pressures and tackle in sacks.
Speaker 1: I thought it was his year. I was pronounced I knew, which is how I heard on the telecast today or something else along with City Sue.
Speaker 3: So, so, do you have a bad that you would like to contribute to this?
Speaker 1: I got a special teams. I mean, ninety six returns not.
Speaker 3: Great, So I would add to that ninety six yard part return, which obviously is completely unacceptable. But then you go offside on the extra point which allows them to go for two.
Speaker 1: I that's a that's quite a little.
Speaker 5: That's a a double whimmy.
Speaker 1: Quite a little double whimmy. That's pop pop bang. It's I miss Hardy. Sorry Matt. By the way, Matt Smith calling in today for the pregame. Great to have him here. And Matt Smith will of course return and we will have the interim host back next week presonably. Matt Smith is the internmost that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: No, in all seriousness, I know he's not listening, but I'll say it anyway. He's doing a great job and we're having uh, we're having some fun. Mike and I have pull the fun out of him, you know what, he wanted to be really serious at first. We're trying to rip the fun right out.
Speaker 1: Of Let's rewind a little bit. Let's put Matt Smith on the good list. You know what, he gives good phone.
Speaker 5: What was that?
Speaker 4: I don't have any other bads? No, I mean, oh, you have any other bads. I could spend the next hour talking about how bad the defense was.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so yeah, we I think we exhausted the decision to go for two, right, Oh yeah, I think I think that I hated the game with eight twenty two left, I think.
Speaker 1: That doesn't even necessarily belong on this show talking about in the game because I hate it in general and eate hate it.
Speaker 3: Fourth and three from their own thirty seven early in the second half.
Speaker 1: I believe they do the fa coctai. We're going to try to draw him off.
Speaker 5: Nobody's buying nesting anymore?
Speaker 1: Oh that old gag? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it? No? No, we're not doing it. We're not doing it all right. Injuries, Robinson went down early.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he went out. Gibson was out.
Speaker 3: Gibson came back, but he was out quick. I don't think Robinson came back though.
Speaker 1: I think it looks like an ankle so so soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, daniel Lequale, I wouldn't be surprised if we're hearing head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did he ever come back?
Speaker 5: I didn't see him.
Speaker 3: He took a good There was that eleven minute drive. He was involved in one of those run stuffs at the end inside the ten and.
Speaker 1: He took a good hit. Pop Douglas. Watch is that's not it?
Speaker 5: I don't know what happened with Douglas.
Speaker 3: Well, he wasn't that's not out of broadcast either.
Speaker 1: He was sick, and then he wasn't sick because he was in the game, and then he got sick again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know, Like i'd be curious to see what his snaps are, the snap total. I don't think that will be out yet. But yeah, I didn't really notice that he was because the Patriots possessed the balls so infrequently in that sort of stretch from the second quarter through the ten minute mark or the fourth quarter, they almost never had the ball, so I didn't realize how infrequently Douglas was on the field, but I guess he was dealing.
Speaker 1: Steve Weisch said he was dealing with an injury. You think about Jalen Polk we mentioned and how much time they possessed the ball on their on their first two possessions which went for scores and then crazy, the time of possession ends up being thirty three fifteen versus twenty six forty five for the Patriots, So that tells you how much they possessed the ball after those scoring drugs.
Speaker 5: Just figure that out. That was something you were like, this is great there.
Speaker 4: The time possession is crazy on the Patriots side, and then it just completely swung.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at my watch him like I'm going to be I'm going to be a home in time for a late lunch.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: No, okayr it is souper weird?
Speaker 5: Is supper on Sundays?
Speaker 1: No, we don't do that. Supper dog has suppered for some reason. We call it supper for the dog. Really, yeah, breakfast and supper? Did she ever supper? All right? Because it's early, it's five o'clocks, you know, what that little SCAMPI start asking for her supper thirty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's too early.
Speaker 1: Elder dog dog gone, No, she's not elderly. How dare you what a card? Mike? You're an absolute caution.
Speaker 3: Paul, You're a panic and I hate when I'm not involved.
Speaker 5: But we just haven't gotten to buy you quote. That's the only thing we haven't. We haven't checked that one yet.
Speaker 1: But oh well, I got the booty ran by you though I did it. I was gonna say, but I was watching the game separately from YouTube. Uh Tamara and I went in and watched it on an actual, big size television. But I did hear the service of not making the buy you joke. When you know what that she did chat Hunter Henry passed on the scene. You know what that allowed me to do, Mike, is to end my streak, oh of playing the trend.
Speaker 4: Oh there you go, good one.
Speaker 11: Pa.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you on that one, because I don't know we you did? You did? I'll I owe you, I owe you one.
Speaker 1: Let's take some phone calls here eight five five pats five hundred, get the emails rolling in here to podcasts plural at Patriots dot com. We'll go to Kevin in Nashville to get us started here on the Patriots postgame show, which is presented by DraftKings. Go ahead, what do you got for us? Kevin?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 13: Can I just rip like two or three tanks real quick?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Already took the tea back. You're way better than that nofense, Matt, No, that's not it is true anyway, Jalen Polk can't catch a ball. That's very unfortunate. Also, Juwan Bentley being out is apparently the biggest thing ever because they can't stop the run, so that's an issue. And then also Drake May it seems like whatever he does well, the team just is not ready for what he does.
Speaker 1: Team is not I don't know. I don't know if I understand that last point.
Speaker 14: Kevin well, well, it seems like he's like even if he plays well well. Also, the popped out was thing spas me out today because I was like trying to figure out what was going on. I was like, why is he not on the field? All was chaking Twitter and they're like, oh, he's sick. And then why do you play the first five reps of the game and then not come back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, sometimes this kind of gets a little inside football, and you know, we've had former players tell us, you know, they can they can do things. They can do things for you to get you ready to play the game. And those things have a shelf life in terms of how long they're gonna make you love.
Speaker 14: I would love to try those drugs.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'm just saying, even if, even if it's like a dehydration issue and that there was talk of ivs going on for whatever he was dealing with, after a while, it wears off, and if you know, you come back out after halftime you're like, I can't go, Then he can't go. I'm not put it on Pop Douglas, But I think I know what you're saying, Kevin about Drake May. I don't think he's playing beyond you know, what his his teammates and receivers are willing to do. He's certainly not there as a rookie star.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's not ready for that. He's not he's not ready for it.
Speaker 14: But and that's what I'm saying. I think he's playing solid. But it's like if it pops not on the field, who does he have to throw it to? Because Bolt's gonna drop it. He's got kJ Osborne that will catch a wide oven pass.
Speaker 1: But I mean Hunter Henry that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they obviously need more weapons. But can we agree that he had opportunities to make some places that he made bad throws on too?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: Like I think he was really good based on this was his second career start. Yeah, like not really good, Like in terms of NFL quarterbacks, he was good for where he is in his development, right right.
Speaker 14: He misses a lot of throws, but he also makes throws that just get dropped or sticked. And it's like, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't really see that all that often. To be honest with you, I didn't see it. I mean Pope dropping it.
Speaker 1: Pulpe dropped two passes. Who else dropped one?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 3: Because it didn't happen. This is my point. Like he had Born coming across the middle wide open and overthrew him. You know, like there's there's like I said, Drake may is right where you want him to be as a guy who's making a second career start. But let's not like you know, one of and one have pulled all on everybody else that they're not more more productive.
Speaker 1: Part of it is on him.
Speaker 14: I'm not trying to annoy him as no.
Speaker 1: I know, I know you're not. I know you're not.
Speaker 12: Kevin.
Speaker 1: I know it.
Speaker 14: Seems like he's getting a little bit let down, but he's like he's also a fault too. But I mean, honestly, the main thing was I was just blown that Douglas just was gone after the first it was.
Speaker 1: It was surprising. I'm not gonna lie to you, I was shocked. I want to understand in the aftermath, Kevin, thanks.
Speaker 5: For the call. I just real quick.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you already said this, but Andrew Callahan talked to Pop in the locker room, said he's been vomiting all day, could stand up a focus, said it got worse throughout the day, so he's he's sick. He was fighting through lamb like they said it on the Oh, that's a great Mutton.
Speaker 1: I don't know what has got nothing on this?
Speaker 5: Not something in your crumpet?
Speaker 1: Do you want me the crumpet? I don't even know. Stuck with the Mutton.
Speaker 4: Mutton Mutton was working, probably more likely the Mutton play.
Speaker 5: I overthought it.
Speaker 1: That Super Cops story that was working one of the polk drops was that across the middle where the ball was out in front of him a little bit and he had his arms extended.
Speaker 3: Was that, Well, no, he had one. I think we're going to see the first one right here. That's a drop like and I know that the defensive back comes over and he comes in and rapes in between. You gotta you gotta catch that ball. The second one I put on May. The second one he was open and the ball was a little.
Speaker 1: Bit late and short.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and allowed I think your guy to don dunk dounk to come over and break it up.
Speaker 1: Right this one? Oh no, not that one.
Speaker 3: That play was whistled for a penalty that was passing appearance the.
Speaker 5: Like instant like the instant throw the flag.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's what I say.
Speaker 3: I think that's how I think that was the pass defance.
Speaker 1: I don't don't quote me on that.
Speaker 3: Every once in a while the all twenty two does get me. So I think that was the past inference.
Speaker 1: But and deuce. The players only do that to help the officials. Sometimes they don't see the past. Thank you. No, I didn't realize you should be throwing a flag, Just so you know, I don't want you to be embarrassed.
Speaker 4: There was some cheating going on there, and you need to call it exactly.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's go to Cameron in North Carolina. Hello, Camera, thanks for being on the Patriots postgame show with Hardy and Paul and Deuce. What do you got cam com com All right, my.
Speaker 3: Hm, David, this is the one I was talking about. I thought that, yeah, this one. I think you see how he's backpedaling, he's open, and I think this a little bit.
Speaker 1: I think there's a little bit of a.
Speaker 3: Problem that I put that on both Polk and May. I thought cover two shots timing. The timing was a little off there. I thought he was open settling in the in the hole and the ball wasn't there in time. By the time it was, the guy had come over, And I mean, yeah, like you could call that a drop.
Speaker 1: I think that's tough.
Speaker 4: That's to catch.
Speaker 1: Dad what happens when he works, David. I apologize for making you wait, oh sorry, go ahead, David. That will be my fault. It's like, how you guys doing good?
Speaker 15: So you want me to start with the positive or the negative?
Speaker 1: Take here a positive? Please?
Speaker 15: All right? So the positive I've come away with these last two games is that May is not mac Jones, and that is at the very least really good. He does not need the situation around him to be He doesn't need two top ten receivers to put up two hundred and fifty yards. He can do it with the guys we have, and that's good to see, you know. I'm glad he, you know, limited some of the turnovers today, although he had a couple that probably should have been picked off. But you know, I think he's doing I think, like Paul said, he's right where you want him to be.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 15: So for the negative side, is it fair to say this might be like the worst defensive showing since the wild card game? Because what did they have one stop in the last three quarters?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think this has been consistent of the way the defense has played this season.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 4: I get they did force two punts and seventeen.
Speaker 5: They didn't get any the fact.
Speaker 15: That we've we've lost by more sixteen or more points in four of our last five games. And I have to also mention, like I understand the circumstances and everything of what happened. It's you know, but of the four guys that were supposed to be running the defense, I honestly think we kept two of the worst ones, Steve and Bill, where I think the ones who sort of brought the whole game plan together. And I feel like Mayo and Covington were the ones who communicated it to the players. But I feel like they're not. They just don't have a game plan for the defense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying to myself or anyone else who cared to hear me, I can't remember seeing a Patriots defense look like this for seven games.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I'm saying. I think this isn't and I agree with I agree with David. I mean, I think this has been indicative though, like the scores, like for as many points as they have allowed, they've been kind of fortunate to only allow what they've allowed. You know, like Christian kirk Bailey being out of bounds on that play, and I would like to see a replay again to see if that first foot when he caught it was down. I think the foot that came down out of bounds might have been the third foot. Obviously, they go for eleven minute drive and come away with no points because they they failed to block on the fullth down play like the Seattle game, all those drop passes that the Seahawks had in that game, Like there's a lot of there's a lot of stops quote unquote that the Patriots have gotten that they didn't have a whole lot to do with and their struggle, this struggle. I think David's right. I think this this is like wild Card, Like you know that that twenty twenty one Wildcard game.
Speaker 5: Like can I can.
Speaker 15: I point out something that you had on your your good list real quick?
Speaker 1: Okay? Sure, uh you had.
Speaker 15: I think you had a VP on your good list for a bit.
Speaker 3: I feel like, well just for the start they got out.
Speaker 15: For the start yet start, but like what what? I feel like we were running a lot of plays that are not what's the word like related to Drake Me's skill set? Like why are we running so many line it like screen passes behind the line of scrimmage? Why are we running so much when we can't we don't have a run game.
Speaker 3: I don't think you ran the ball as often as you think you did today.
Speaker 15: It felt like it's still I think I think they.
Speaker 3: Attempted twelve runs and I would say that the first touchdowns of screen like it's a that's that's a blitz beating screen to Jamichael Hasty, like when they don't work, you're like, why are you calling that? When it does work, you know and listen. I would say that Alex van Pelt, I gave him some credit for coming up with a good game plan, a good script. Well that's only part of it, Like, you got to figure out what's going on the rest of the game. Once the game declares, you have to figure out how am I going to adjust and move the ball? And they had no answers, So I by no means am I saying Alex van Pelt painted a Picasso today. They got off to a good start and then they went They went south for a while, and that's that's unacceptable. You've got to be better than that.
Speaker 1: Thanks, David, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: UH just a little nuanced, I think, Paul, to feedback on something that you've been saying a lot about the defense, was that you thought, because hear a lot of people going like, how do you go from a top ten defense to the worst?
Speaker 5: I think that they didn't quite start at that position.
Speaker 4: Is as you've pointed out, many times they you know, I think the last couple of years, there probably were plenty of.
Speaker 3: Exams yet to play a backup quarterback of Bill Belichick.
Speaker 1: They played one Bill.
Speaker 5: Bellichick out scheming a backup quarterback.
Speaker 4: And I think that that's a big piece of some of their defensive success over the last couple of years was getting favorable matchups against backup quarterbacks, like you said, on more than a few occasions. And you know, give Bill credits. Certainly he knows the right game plan to go against those guys. But I just I don't know if if the drop off has been quite as dramatic as some people will make it out to be because of what their rankings were. But I think that they're, you know, they're a defense right now that that's really struggling. And I mean in a variety of areas.
Speaker 1: From hyperbole to nuance and this du this deuce kid range my autobiography.
Speaker 4: Well, I was just trying to I don't know the nuance. Paul is the one who points out the nuance all the time, which is just you know that they're that you know, you'll just look at the numbers and you say, wow, this was a great defense last year.
Speaker 5: Was it? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Would that be the title of your autobiography from Hyperbole to Nuance? Well, it talks about your development as a human.
Speaker 5: I already got the title, I just I don't want to share it yet.
Speaker 1: Though, Diary of Indignities. Oh, I like it? Uh Isaac in South Dakota here on the Patriots post game show high Isaac II.
Speaker 12: Guys, so.
Speaker 16: Talking about like wide receiver ones, like wide receivers, what if we did like a trade for like Cooper Cups? Maybe, Yeah, like a late route like some draft picks for Cooper Cups, like not like early on, but somewhat cheap because I feel like he's going to be a cheap since he's gotten injured in the past two years, he hasn't played very much.
Speaker 1: And then why do the Rams want to make that trade?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 16: What do you guys? Would you guys consider making that trade for?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 3: I would absolutely I would. I were the Patriots, I would. If I were the Rams, I wouldn't. Why would you want Why would the Rams want to trade Cooper Cup?
Speaker 16: Because? I mean, because he's been injured the past two Like it's just because he's been so injured the past two years.
Speaker 14: He hasn't really played that much.
Speaker 16: I think Pukah's coming back, I believe. And then there I don't know why that. Why wouldn't they take draft picks for Cooper Cup.
Speaker 1: Because he's good and he's good. And I'll tell you something else, Isaac, I'm not giving up a third round or for anybody right now because I think you can go find receivers in the third round.
Speaker 3: Well, I just would look at it and say, the Rams, you know, they have a veteran quarterback. They're not looking to get rid of guys, you know, especially guys that are under contract.
Speaker 1: Yeah, guys that are under contract and injured or not have shown to be Yeah, he's a good player, and it's like, oh, there's a guy that can catch the ball from our veteran quarterback. We're going to keep him. All right, let's step side here for a moment. We'll continue with your phone calls here to a five to five Pats five hundred and your emails podcasts plural at Patriots dot com. Saul brought to you here on the Patriots postgame Show, just brought to you by a bud Light. Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, but idl like the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 10: Without good blocking, your team's not going anywhere. Cisco blocks cyber attacks for customers around the world, including the entire Fortune one hundred and the NFL, because when the game is on the line and it's always on the line, the NFL relies on Cisco.
Speaker 7: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from gelett Lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change well afflex. This contours to it so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate to let shaving experience.
Speaker 10: The best to me I can get.
Speaker 5: Is to let lapse.
Speaker 17: By the time this Patriots fan is finished drinking his pepsi, you'll be fifteen seconds closer to game time. Patriots watching better with pepsi.
Speaker 10: Without good blocking, your team's not going anywhere. Cisco blocks cyber attacks for customers around the world, including the entire Fortune one hundred and the NFL, because when the game is on the line and it's always on the line, the NFL relies on Cisco.
Speaker 7: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from gelett Lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change well a flex this contours to it, so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate toe Llett shaving experience.
Speaker 1: The best to me I can get is to let lapse.
Speaker 17: By the time this Patriots fan is finished drinking his pepsi, you'll be fifteen seconds closer to game time. Patriots watching better with pepsi.
Speaker 18: You've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday, and Verizon's got you covered for all your teams out of market games every Sunday afternoon. Come on from kickoff to sign off, from first downs and touchdowns oh ya, to turnovers no, and overturn plays.
Speaker 1: After review the pass was incomplete.
Speaker 12: Nice?
Speaker 1: I know this season?
Speaker 18: Win every Sunday with Verizon. Get a great deal on NFL Sunday ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV, and a new phone excludes digital only games.
Speaker 1: Terms embargo's apply.
Speaker 19: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No. Replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx Where now meets next? For residential delivery.
Speaker 18: Only, you've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday and Verizon's got you covered for all your teams out of market games every Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Come on from kickoff.
Speaker 18: To sign off, from first downs and touchdowns to turnovers, no and overturn plays.
Speaker 3: After review the past was incomplete.
Speaker 1: Nice I know this season.
Speaker 18: Win every Sunday with Verizon, Get a great deal on NFL Sunday ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV, and a new phone excludes digital only games.
Speaker 1: Turns in Nebargo's apply.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation by calling into the TVX hotline at eight five five Pat's five hundred, or email the show at podcasts at Patriots dot com. Now live from our studios, here is Matt Smith.
Speaker 1: Matt Smith is that he's in London. He called in earlier. It's great to hear from Matt.
Speaker 5: Hope he didn't have the mutton.
Speaker 1: Oh man, there's a bad case the Mutton's going around, Maybe for Mario Douglas, who knows who else. Maybe they would explain a lot of things, maybe a lot of the defensive players and they just played through it. But uh no. The Patriots suffer a loss today to the Jaguars, thirty two to sixteen in London. We're here doing the Patriots postgame show for you, which is presented by Draft Kings. And we're going back to the phones, uh and we'll talk to John who is in South Beach. Are you in South Beach? Are you on South Beach? John? I remember asking you this question before, but I just want you to answer it again.
Speaker 8: It's an important question. I am in South Beach, not currently laying on the beach. I'm fortune okay.
Speaker 1: And you've called into this program before, yes, I have.
Speaker 8: And Paul even give to me the nickname Johnny South Beach, which I have embraced wholeheartedly.
Speaker 1: That's a cool nickname. That is accurate. Man is good already Southpeach, John? What do you? What do you got for us?
Speaker 8: A couple quick things. First of all, hearing your Dulcie tones today, Hardy makes the lost hurt five percent less o no no shade, no shade to Matt. But Hardy, Hardy is the one that got away. I was just I kind of want to swear something before you know, everybody starts like discussing on Twitter, fighting about it on the radio on that near pit Row to Osbourne. Immediately though, is like screaming that Osborne didn't run a good route, and then everyone on Twitter is like made and throw the ball quick enough to pass break up. Blah blah blah. What from your guys' perspective, actually happened on that play and who's the most to blame.
Speaker 1: I'd like to see, can we put it up?
Speaker 5: I'll break it down for you live. Maybe we could get the chick.
Speaker 3: I really look forward to this.
Speaker 1: Can you get a telestraight her off from my No, we're gonna We're gonna look at it here hopefully, and uh, well, we'll come to a consensus here among the three of us as to whether or not it was a bad pass, a bad route, or just bad luck. I my gut tells me that the route maybe was a little bit off. I'm trying to remember in my mind's eye, but I'm hesitant to to say one way or the other. Without looking at it again, I can tell you it was.
Speaker 8: Zoe was streaming saying that Osborne is supposed to cut more towards the quarterback on that route, and I was like, I love though, but he's a little QB oh.
Speaker 3: Wide receiver right that route, right, especially this QB Yeah, I don't think you would have been as forgiving if it were.
Speaker 1: We're set making the same throw. Now. The good news is, I'm sure uh Drake May who will hear from here in a little while, did not put the uh the onus on his receivers a la Aaron Rodgers last week talking about here the red line line. You got a red line and it has nothing to do with uh. I think it was Andrew Kantllahan who said, maybe take some accountability for throwing a no look past forty yards down the field, and uh, you know that maybe takes some of it on yourself. But you know, I think these are all part of the It's part of the learning curve for these guys getting together and and getting first team reps for only what the third week now second third week, you know, getting the majority of them and figuring things out. It's his second start, and I don't get Maybe something else that Zoe has said, which I happen to agree with, and if you go back and look at starts from quarterbacks, there's something to it. You need three starts before you can really make any kind of real determination. Let that quarterback have the game plan for a week. Let them get the install let them develop some rapport if there is any with the receivers, and then you start making decisions on what he's good at, what he's bad at. You can't do it after a game, and if you do it after two games, you're doing everybody a disservice, you know, after three games and then and then maybe we'll be able to make a better determination on specific things like that. John, it's a good question, though. We'll take a look at it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we'll break the film.
Speaker 1: We'll let you know. I'll let you know anything else.
Speaker 8: John, Well, since since you're on Hardy, I've been waiting to share my favorite Hooper quote or when Austin Hooper has a good game, But I just don't think that's going to happen, so I'm just going to share it anyway. It's when Hooper standing in front of the boat and he says, don't give me any of that working class bureau crap. I think, yeah, basically, yeah, that's the most line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're they're not in front of the boat. I believe they are in the shop. They're in Quinn's shops.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was boiling with the Hooper U S O. B.
Speaker 8: Line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 5: I like the subtle underspreath. I don't think so you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you think you know it all salty dog fishermen. But I have a degree. Yeah, and I'm going on the aurora.
Speaker 1: It's a floating asylum, is what it is. John, Thanks for.
Speaker 3: The call, which still doesn't really what not like it doesn't make any sense, like it it's a floating asylum.
Speaker 1: What missus Brodie thinks it's hysterical.
Speaker 4: She is in the book They got after it together. That's it, That's it right.
Speaker 1: I didn't I didn't know that until you told me about it. And now watching her react to him, I wonder if there's something in the back. There was something there, there's something there.
Speaker 4: I mean, miss Brodie, she you love you love. She was already feeling it earlier. She was like, Chief, you want to fool around and was like sure. He didn't really seem that much into it. So you could see where they're parent seeds of you know, Miss Brodie, she's she's looking around for a little action.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then two, there's a clear inference. There's a clear inference to me that the hotel guy, you know, the business you know, the hotel business guy, and you know, and and Ellen is like the pr person.
Speaker 1: You know, there's something there.
Speaker 4: Right right, And then in four she's I don't know what we do without you know, it's like Brodie's body isn't even dry. She's jumping to Michael Kine playing around the which I mean, credit.
Speaker 1: To Michael Kine for still being willing to make time with her with that haircut, because that haircut climb against humanity that was bad.
Speaker 3: And credits to Michael Kine for still accepting checks for these roles.
Speaker 4: I mean, she stabbed the shark with the boat.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, you guys say.
Speaker 1: So Matt, and I'm with us, now go ahead, Matt, thanks for calling Patriots post game show.
Speaker 20: Hey yeah, thanks for having me. So just a couple of questions. First, so, how when was the last time you thought that the defense really looked like this consistently bad?
Speaker 16: I mean, and then the.
Speaker 20: Next question is, Drowd Mayo attreats this a lot to coaching, and when do you think that at what point can we actually like say it's not working, we need to shake something up with coaching, because I mean, if it's this consistently bad and we're having all these mistakes week after week after week. I mean, it can I mean, when when can we expect to get better? I'll take it off here, all right.
Speaker 5: I mean I'm looking back at twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: I mean, and that's and then we always talk about twenty twenty is kind of a year where.
Speaker 5: Like hitting the reset button on the defense.
Speaker 4: I don't think anyone was really expecting that.
Speaker 1: Now, you're right, it was a bad defense.
Speaker 5: They were a bad defense. Just looking at some of some of their scores, just a bad u.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when can it get better? I really think it could be better next year, Like how much better? I don't know. I think you can sort of make the jump from obviously where you are right now, which is not very good. I think you can make the jump from that to competitive in one year. And I think I think that it's going to require a good draft and some shrewd free agency moves. You can't just do one, you know, I know, this whole notion of like we're a draft and developed team, Like yeah, that's great, and I like that philosophy. I think they need to do better with their young players than they have, you know, in terms of developing but you can't just do that. You need to spend some of that money and get some talent in as well, some some proven talent. And I don't think that they've taken an enough advantage of those opportunities. But I think that they can. Listen, you draft a left tackle, you know, in the first round. Maybe you pick up a veteran receiver and draft a receiver that hit, and all of a sudden, you can be, you know, a competitive team next year. I don't think you're going to be necessarily a playoff team overnight, but it can happen quickly.
Speaker 1: It can happen quickly. I don't think it has to be just you know, over because they're rebuilding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were the worst run defense according to TVA in twenty twenty thirty, second twenty sixth overall, but you still look at points seventh and points fifteenth in yards.
Speaker 5: I mean they were.
Speaker 4: Still they still had a little something. So I think that there's probably somewhat an argument to be made this this defense is the worst one in a long time.
Speaker 1: Do Shawn and Virginia on the Patriots post game show? Height does Sean what's going on?
Speaker 11: Hey, how you guys doing good? Good, good, big. What I wanted to say is that I think John Gotsen, that's gonna be the same weekend and week out because there's a talent efficiency problem, mainly in the trenches. They can't rush the passer, uh, nor can they stop the running. On the other side, you can't protect the quarterback. So as long as that keeps happening, it's gonna be more of the same. You know. Like people talk about Gonzales and I look at the way of how they play them, I don't I'm not really a huge fan of it. The outside technique, not putting the hands on the guy or whatever. I mean, I think you should really utilize the skill set. I think they really don't you do that or whatever. So there's certain things as the coach maker is the problem, and there's a talent officiency problem. So those get addressed, won't They probably will never be fixed.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, the the talent up the middle right now defensively, and Paul talked about it in the pregame show. That's not going to be fixed overnight. Uh. When you're talking about Gonzales and how they're playing things, you know, schematically in the secondary, maybe that's something that can be addressed. But again, personnel issues, Uh, if you're talking about more than two positions, U uh, this is this something that's going to be a process.
Speaker 3: Now, I agree, And it's yeah, it's you can't just like snap your fingers and be done. And I know people look at this and I do too. I'm guilty of it like, well, it's post Brady, so it's year five like and it is.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: I'm not telling you you're wrong for thinking about it that way, but it's it's a little unfair to Girod Mayo and Elliott Wolf to look at it that way because they're just getting the opportunity right now to do this on their own. And we'll see if they if they end up doing it doing it right now, it's not off to a great start. I think that there's been so I think there were opportunities lost last year and resigning all of their players like they did. I'm not going to kill that, but like they didn't augment it with really anything. What did like what did they bring in like Antonio.
Speaker 4: Gibson, Yeah, Antonio, I mean like how much?
Speaker 3: I mean maybe Jalen Hawkins a little bit.
Speaker 5: I mean, I can run it right down for you. I mean most of them just.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about contributors, and no I know in the draft has not like really yielded anything.
Speaker 4: Beyond Austin Hooper.
Speaker 1: Hooper drives the boats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean between Leverett didn't work out, armand Watts didn't work out, a corps for it didn't work out. Uh, Taki Taki was a healthy scratch today he got you know, a two year deal.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: And a lot of these guys that you extended, I mean Born you're just starting to see him. But when you hasn't had a great year. kJ Osborne has kind of been an afterthought. Uh, Stevenson's been in out of their lineup and had some fumble issues. David Andrews is out, Gibril Peppers is out. I mean, gotcha looks pretty good. I mean that that you know, that's one piece that like a piece of it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm just talking overall guys that you made an effort to give new contracts to over the last you know, six months.
Speaker 5: Not not a lot of them have have worked out. And a lot of them that you you know.
Speaker 3: I was just talking about like free agent additions, like they they made a decision to retain a lot of their own players, and that's fine, and I don't necessarily I mean, some of them, I've just talked about this all all off season. Some of them I wouldn't have brought back. But you know, individually, I'm not going to stand on a mountain and scream like, how did you resign that guy? But they didn't bring anything in to augment that, right, No, and you went forward to thirteen. I argued with you at Evan a lot like they're basically running it back with the same team, only they're changing the quarterback and they think it's going to be a magic fix. I didn't think it would be a magic fix.
Speaker 1: Right, And I don't know how much credit you're you're going to get from people, from critics and fans of life for resigning guys that have proven themselves even a little bit. Well, yeah, that's what you should do. The guys who can play you keep here unless there's someone out there, and in many cases there are someone else who could truly augment that position, then you bring them in.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: So how about Eldred in North Carolina talk about sight for sore eyes or sore ears? Aldrid good to talk to you there. It is my man.
Speaker 21: He tell us, hey, hey, Hardy, how you doing.
Speaker 1: Good to hear from you.
Speaker 21: Yeah, Paul, Uh excuse me, Matt, Hey, uh, I want to piggyback off the other guy. But uh, Paul, you're right too. You can't kill Rod and Elliott. I can kill Ellie for part just draft, but the other five I put it on the building in this GM. And yeah, you know, but Gunso was a good corner, but guns can't cover speed.
Speaker 12: And Brian Thomas was.
Speaker 21: The third wire receive. I wanted Pope was nowhere near. I wanted Harrison or a d Mitchell or Brian Thomas, but we got Pope, you know, And which go against.
Speaker 3: What Brian Thomas off the board in the middle of the first round.
Speaker 21: Yeah, yeah, he didn't go to the middle, did he.
Speaker 3: I think he was a first round pick, right, Yeah?
Speaker 12: I thought he was.
Speaker 21: Okay, maybe yeah, mitchelluld have stuck around.
Speaker 3: Pa Mitchell if there was something happen with Mitchell. I don't know what the story is. But he dropped in the draft like he he went like a full round or so round and a half later than he was projected.
Speaker 1: Picked twenty three for Thomas. Thomas was twenty three, Yeah he was, he was longer three.
Speaker 21: Okay, well don't go Well my thing is this. Everybody pumped the break. This is a rebuild just to really the rebu start supposed to start with Bill, but he didn't do it right. So this is it. So we just out of talent, just like I've been saying it for years. If I would just to shoot me down and say we need some day sometimes you gotta get to afleet not the blue.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more. Alters. Yeah, years and Aldred you've got you've got the right attitude about him. A lot of people that are not willing to accept the fact that, you know, the rebuild wasn't done correctly, going back several years now and it's kind of like, okay, now it begins like, well what have we been doing? Uh, you were supposed to be doing it, but you really said.
Speaker 3: I don't think people that say that it's five years or wrong because it has been. Yes, and a lot of these guys were here too, like Elliott Wolf and mac growe were true were part. I mean I understand Bill had final say Bill, this the roster, the makeup of the roster is on Bill. I understand that, but these got the guys were part of the personnel department.
Speaker 4: Right and they had input on some of these draft picks that missed you.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir.
Speaker 21: To me, he's still drafting like Bill. To me, he's still drafting like Bill. That's why I say that doing that draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I don't know if Bill would have drafted May, but.
Speaker 21: No, he would. Yeah he had you could need a quarterback. If he did, he was crazy and running with day and death. That insanity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think he Yeah, I mean, that's a good point. I know what Mike is saying, because Bill wasn't overly complimentary of May in the draft, but that was also maybe an ulterior motive involved there. I'm just saying knowing that he was going to the page.
Speaker 5: Now, that doesn't sound like it.
Speaker 1: Uh, Eldrick. Great to hear from you, my man. Thank you, appreciate it. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I love that dude for the Dolphins just recovered to fumble without a helmet.
Speaker 1: That's good. Cela Zach Seeler, big play. I think David Montgomery got u strip sacked in the in the Lions game, which is something you don't see all that all running gets through the line and and I don't know if I don't know if it was one of the linebackers from Minnesota like took the ball away from him and came down with it on the ground before Montgomery even knew what happened. Like huh, all right, so I know, just real quick, like to Elder's point, like, I just I'd like to feel good about something other than Drake May.
Speaker 5: I feel pretty good about Drake May right now.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 5: I don't feel good.
Speaker 4: About anything else right now that I don't like. As much as you want to tell me about Gonzalez and Key and White and you know, Pop Douglas and and all that. I you know it, it's not consistent, and it certainly isn't getting better right now. And at some point they've got to turn the tide and put some places together. And it's just right now.
Speaker 1: What you got Halloween coming up? About that?
Speaker 5: Not like I used to.
Speaker 4: It's not fun with it when I was a kid or when my kids were little. Now it's just about where are my kids going they're gonna run around.
Speaker 3: The sweet spot was when the kids were like middle school, a little older than that it became like a neighborhood thing. Yeah, you know, you get the rid solo cups going, oh yeah, you know, but.
Speaker 1: Now you find that Halloween Central Street.
Speaker 3: And you know what really like, I don't know, like the neighborhoods you guys live. I don't know one comes to my like on my street because I live on a small street. There's only a handful of houses. Oh not only that your boy got hurt, David Montgomery's great, there's uh, there's not there's not a lot. There's only like eight houses on my street. There's like four on each side of the street. So no one really comes down my street.
Speaker 1: Aristocrat.
Speaker 4: Maybe if you get big, I didn't get it medium, right, get them big candy bars. Perlo's got the king size.
Speaker 3: Because a lot of times, you know, do you do the full size candy at your house?
Speaker 21: Uh?
Speaker 4: No no, because that's why no, because we don't roll the pennies for you.
Speaker 3: If we got popcorn balls, if we got the if you know, candy corn if we get.
Speaker 1: I've got the full time. If we've got the full full.
Speaker 3: Sized candy bars, and then no one shows up, who do you think eats it?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like I don't want that. Let me tell you. Let me tell you boys two things, and then I swear we'll get back to the postgame. Number one, candy corn. If you're out, you're out. But if you like it and you're just okay with it, here's what I say. You get a can of planters, salted shelled peanuts, okay, dump those in a bowl, and then you dump about half a bag of candy corn in there, and you just grab a handful. It is, and it's about a three to one mixture. You need three to four half nuts or nuts with one candy corn provide. Some people prefer more like a two to one. It's too much. It's too much candy corn, too much, it's delicious. And number two, I'm gonna throw this one at you. I was at a friend's last night and the woman brings out these Oh look at these ritz crackers. They're dipped in chocolate. Aren't these delicious? We all tried one, and we said, you know, we need peanut butter to dip this. I went across the street because I may peanut butter in this house. So readiness brought my peanut butter back over it. And that is a delightful treat. I don't think you want to hand him out for Halloween, but just for yourself. Good Cracker, Yeah, delicious? You get that? Do you get that reference? Ritz Cracker? Good Cracker, Eddie Murphy, Andy Griffith. Oh wow.
Speaker 3: So that's why that's why I went to you. Mike pretends he's.
Speaker 1: Not as old as I am, so I'm not. I didn't even know to Mike. You know that Andy Griffith show is one of my top three TV shows of all It's a great show. And if you're going to up to Pilot, could you get me a new pair of scissors? Mark in Providence on the Patriots postgame Hello, Mark. Mount Pilot.
Speaker 12: Looked at last year's season. To me, it didn't seem like a re building a team that needs to be rebuilt. I mean they lost seven games by less than seven points, in another game by seven points, so eight games by a touchdown a lot.
Speaker 3: Do you think when you go four and thirteen you're not a team that needs to be rebuilt. When you lose to Tommy DeVito and Trevor Simeon.
Speaker 8: Like.
Speaker 12: And any if you watched all the games, Mac Jones was a huge problem. So I mean you're going to change the quarterback. You had to receive a left tackle and keep adding to the defense. Now, this team, that's a lot needs to be completely rebuilt.
Speaker 3: But you needed all those things that you just said, that's a that's that's a that's a rebuilt, Like you need a left tackle, a receiver in adding to the defense, like.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of stuff. That's a lot of stuff, Mark.
Speaker 3: And that's not even taken into consideration. Does the quarterback work?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: Did he? Did it pan out?
Speaker 3: Like we knew you took the quarterback at three, But that doesn't mean it's gonna work. A lot of teams, you know, find themselves in that quarterback carousel.
Speaker 12: Okay, but you've moved down from the three and you address your offensive line, and they got a ton of money, they could have brought in a couple of skilled guys. Still the other holes and you still had all them other drasticks.
Speaker 1: I don't know what do you do a quarterback? Okay, all right, mar I'll just say this.
Speaker 3: I just don't know how you watched last year and you deceived yourself into thinking they only lost ten to seven to Tommy DeVito, so they weren't that far away.
Speaker 1: Well, this comes from years of sitting at the.
Speaker 3: Gardner Minshew's ten to six. We're right there, Like they lost to one backup quarterback after another, right, and yeah, the games were closed because the other teams were all playing their backup quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: And Deuce, maybe maybe you've fallen under the city, you know, the same spell that I did, now that you've been with Paul for as many years as I was. One of the things that just you know, gets drilled into you and you absorbed by osmosis is a team's record at the end of the year is the best indicator really of what they are. You can say theirself and Paul taught me this. You can talk to yourself and ah, they're really better than their four and thirteen record would indicate that. Almost every single time you look at the record at the end of the season, it's like that's what they were.
Speaker 3: See I could say, like, well, you were you were seven and ten or eight and nine, but you know we were a little better than that.
Speaker 1: We got you buzzards lucked.
Speaker 3: You know, we missed a couple of field goals that would have won games. When you're four and thirteen or thirteen and four. It's hard to say you're not that good or you weren't that bad. Like that's a really dramatic you know, one way or the other. Yeah, Like I agree with Hardy, like you're four and thirteen, okay, so maybe you should have been you should have been.
Speaker 1: Six and eleven. Yeah, yeah, it's it's tough to convince Yeah, it's it's tough to convince me that because of all those close games, you're really more like a nine and eighteen. No, no, no. A bunch of emails here there which Now.
Speaker 5: I are you gonna read the emails this time?
Speaker 1: The electronic mail? You know what, I'm not even gonna say anything. I'm not gonna say anything. I was gonna do it. He was gonna do it. No, I was gonna do it earlier and disrespect and now this was all on me. I wasn't gonna say it. Matt, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Left us and usually forwards hard of the emails I forgot to do.
Speaker 1: That is everything, all right? Yeah, he had something to do, okay, it was it was a nice event.
Speaker 4: He had to go apple picking.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't apple He had to go do a little fo somebody else was that? Somebody else was apple picking? I saw on the Instagram during the game. Did you see that photo?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, Jim Murray.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 1: Who is right now is in the process of courtship, and it has to go do things like apple picking. Oh god, even though he doesn't even though he doesn't have young children, he has to go apple picking?
Speaker 22: Is it?
Speaker 5: Bill b Wow?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: Look it up to be from yesterday.
Speaker 4: There's no way she got him out there on a Sunday.
Speaker 1: Probably not, but oh boy, is it? Is it fun to look?
Speaker 4: At least he can afford it, you know, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Pick it ain't cheap.
Speaker 5: Got five hundred apples for seven hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: I can't really think of very many things I would rather do less.
Speaker 4: Than my buddy. Kyle Brandt had a good rant on it the other day. Abou Kyle brand it's my buddy, But it is. It's just like obscenely priced and you get way more apples than you're ever gonna need.
Speaker 5: And you know it's silly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're silly.
Speaker 4: But she like pies, making pies for your friends. Maybe then that's it ends up being a deal.
Speaker 1: But here's here's ken. When we are dealing with a lack of performance on both sides. The ball remind me of how much we are under the salary cap? How much are how much are we under the salary cap? You guys know a lot of you are gonna have. They're gonna have a good amount of cap space next year.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they're under it right now. That's probably a Miguel question. But they're gonna have a lot of room next year for sure. And I just I'm skeptical that they're going to use it on weapons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got to use it on something, and they've kind of extended everybody that's going to be extended. I feel like at this point, there's not you know, most of this offense is going to come back. There's not really you know, a lot of pieces. Jonathan Jones, he could maybe say, was is somebody that that you would look at, But they did the heavy lifting last year.
Speaker 1: That's tough to look at. I'm not gonna lie. Sorry, sorry, Mike. Yeah, he went to a corn maze too, because you know sometimes they have corn maze. I mean we've all been there, but with our kids, right, I can't get out of here and there. Steve, he's got the headphones.
Speaker 4: Ernie, Ernie, I need am app of this maze right now.
Speaker 1: Email from Jordan's He says, this team is an embarrassment through and through. Worst team in the league by a mile. I think we could beat Foxboro all high. The coaches, fully, Drake may is out there doing his level best with no support. Team isn't playing hard. They're undisciplined. They don't play me a little bit. Well, hold on, I'm not even done their selfish. They're constantly infighting when they talk to the media. All the things are product of a head coach and the culture he installs. Wow, now it's on the mail at this point. How why I and his whole staff the one to be done? Play calling? Culture is bad? Scrap it, tear it down. Wow, this is so this.
Speaker 3: We've heard a lot of this, you know, Mike and I get, you know, some periodic emails about it, and people just like out on the new regime, like they they just feel like it's not working and they need to, you know, they need to make a change. I don't think there's much of a chance of that unless there's something really significant off field that happens. But that's not a completely unique take.
Speaker 1: I've heard.
Speaker 3: I've heard that from time to time, which kind of surprises me.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what happens when you lose six in a row. It's first time in what thirty years that that's happened.
Speaker 3: I think they said on it it was kind of half listening to at the end, I'm not gonna lie, I was sort of in lala land.
Speaker 1: First time since before before Craft's ownership.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jews first, they lost a bunch of games in a row that year the bill, and they finished strong that year, they won the last four. So maybe if they can get something like that, it could be uh, you know, at least some some hope moving forward if they finish the second half of the season. Like, I think part of the problem is this, there remains like a level of expectation that I don't think is commensurate with what they have. Like I heard people saying, you know, they could easily fit, they could easily be six and six, Like you're one in five and you think this team is capable of rattling off five out of the next six, Like, I don't care who they're playing, but you'd think a one in five team can reasonably expect to win five of the next six. I don't care who are against, you know. And I heard that on the on the radio. I heard, you know, finding a way to win six, seven, eight games for the season. Come on, like, I'm sorry, but like the more likely situation is another four and thirteen, you know, and the way it's going.
Speaker 5: Where those next three comes, I don't know what you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like this was one that I thought you had a reasonable chance to win. This is another part of the whole expectation thing. How many gofas.
Speaker 1: Did you hear this week?
Speaker 3: Jacksonvill was favored by five and a half.
Speaker 1: I was one of them.
Speaker 3: I was one of them, and I just looked at him, like, if you're matching up, if you know, we're talking about Jalen Polk and kJ Osbourne and Kendrick Bourne and Tomrio Douglas, and everybody is like, they need a receiver, they need a receiver. Which one of those guys is better than Brian Thomas, Christian Kirk or Gabe Davis. Which one of those four guys that the Patriots had as wide receivers today are better than the three guys that Jacksonville had.
Speaker 5: None of them. I would take all three of those guys.
Speaker 3: Over, you know, and I think Drake may can be better than Trevor Lawrence, but it's not reasonable to expect him to be in his second career start. So I don't understand where this sort of righteous indignation came with the fact that they were underdogs today. I picked the Patriots to cover. I thought that they would put a better, better effort forward today than that.
Speaker 1: So I was wrong.
Speaker 3: I mean, what do you want me to tell you? I missed it, just like everybody else. But I didn't think they the whole, like the roster on paper for Jacksonville is better than that of the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wrong. I thought the Patriots would cover today. I missed it.
Speaker 4: Not great stuff coming out of the Patriots locker room either, today. Daniel Aqualley, with a quote via Andrew Callahan Jirog just said postgame everybody got to check their ego when they come in, and I agree with him. I feel like a lot of guys think too highly of themselves and have to check their ego and come in and just play as a team. I feel like if we play as a team, nobody can stop us. But if we go out there and do our own thing and play outside of the scheme. That's when we get beat. A similar message kind of from what we heard from Devon Godshaw a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 5: Also Alex Barts just pointing out.
Speaker 4: Thatch and ray Quon mcgillan played just eleven snaps each, so there was a little bit of a pullback on them from terms of defensive changes.
Speaker 1: Well, you got your hipster tablet pulled up there? Could you also go on to the Instagram because uh Sam from North Carolina says, uh polk has me wondering his Insta post after the game was odd, wondering if he dropped his phone while posting.
Speaker 4: Now he just posted a simple peace sign. I don't know what that means, peace out piece, I'm okay, but just simple.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm okay, just a piece emoji read from that one too for two drops.
Speaker 1: And I completely I completely understand.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's getting meat all sandwiches.
Speaker 1: You talk, give me two I completely understand.
Speaker 3: You know that I'm one hundred years old and I didn't grow up with all of these apps that you incessantly have to post every one of your last every last thought on I just don't know what would possess a player going through what he's going through right now to immediately say.
Speaker 1: You know what I think is a good idea. Let me get on Instagram? Right?
Speaker 3: Oh jeez, no again, I understand I'm out of touch. It's not you know, I get it. Oh big run for your boy, Jamier Gibbs.
Speaker 1: He gone, he walks, right, he gone. There we go, well, red zone hardy as the Lions are on the scoreboard here at ten seven against Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Okay, I just I don't really know harmless and it's probably a nothing thing. It's probably like peace. I'm okay, you know, peace London whatever, like. I don't think it's like any negative peace posts. Why are you posting anything?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: You already deleted it, No, did he, which tells me it wasn't harmless.
Speaker 1: You'll find your soulmate too, Pitho.
Speaker 5: It's just.
Speaker 1: That was just to Kip dynamite.
Speaker 3: That's all it was.
Speaker 1: All right. Let's let's hear from the I love doing.
Speaker 3: The Uncle rito when I'm sitting here like this just looking at his arms. Even I have arms I have, I would have give yourself biceps.
Speaker 1: Let us hear from the head coach here, Gerrod Mayo, which is brought to you by Microsoft Surface, our partner here in the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL and the new England Patriots, provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the new Surface Pro designed to keep you and keep up with you as the most flexible, most powerful two in one tablet and laptop out there at Surface dot com.
Speaker 6: Look a disappointing game. Disappointing game. We came out, we started fast y. What I would say is, look, we're a soft football team. Across the board. We talk about what makes a tough football team. That's being able to run the ball, that's being able to stop the run, and that's being able to cover kicks. And we did none of those today.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 6: They controlled the ball for most of the day. You know, their run game average over four and a half yards to carry our run game. Not sure what the average was, but it wasn't good. Look back to the drawing board. I mean, we can't sit here and pout. We just we just gotta put a game together. Do you explain the talent to run meet I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: That's something that you have to watch on you know, watch on film. What I will say is it's a mentality. It's an attitude. And here as of late, our run game just hasn't been able to do anything offensively and then defensively. I mean, the players like, we just gotta play better, we gotta play better technique, gotta lock our guy out in front of us, and really just I mean, that's what it comes down to, locking the guy out in front of you, dominating, dominating him and making a tackle.
Speaker 1: What do you do with balls? Just to be.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure. I mean, that's something that you know, I have to I have to think about. You know, we have a long flight back, and I'm not sure. It's not like all of a sudden, you know, we did something different and now we're a soft football team. It's just the mentality that we got to get back in. The guys, do you think.
Speaker 18: You need to consider a change the.
Speaker 5: Look?
Speaker 6: Once again? Well, I'll go back over I'll go back over the film and yeah, from where I was standing, like, even when you're in a right call, in the right call, they're still not doing their job. So that's on me.
Speaker 1: The decision to go for the two point conversion after the.
Speaker 6: Touchdown, yup, yup, So that that decision at some point in time, you have to go for two, and I just wanted to at least know what situation we were gonna be and with more time on the clock, so we went for two on the first one. You know, s I'm sure other people see the different ways, just the philosophical thing.
Speaker 1: What uh what'd you see on the punk of your touch?
Speaker 6: I saw guys getting out leveraged. I saw a punt down the middle of the field, which is always difficult to cover. And look, he has a strong leg and he out kicked his coverage and we weren't disciplined in our lanes.
Speaker 1: Is at the.
Speaker 6: Start, I thought, Drag you know, did a good job, especially starting the game off fast. He made some good throws, he made some plays with his legs. Uh. But again I have to go back to the film and really just study that draw with the.
Speaker 9: Straight loss or worried that the players at all?
Speaker 6: No, I'm not worried about that. Look, the guys, they understand every week is its own weekend. You know, it's my job, you know, we'll get there on Wednesdays, is to change the page.
Speaker 10: So you.
Speaker 1: Feel farther away than maybe even you.
Speaker 16: Wow took his job?
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 6: You know, look, I don't wanna go back and say we should have won this or should cause we should have lo I mean we could have lost all of the games. And saying that we just gotta keep working, going out there with the players that we have and and get better.
Speaker 1: Offensively.
Speaker 8: What do you think that having success?
Speaker 6: I mean that kind of goes back to what I said earlier. It's a mentality. It's a mentality and it's about re establishing the line of scrimmage. I mean, yeah, we need more from Polk, We need more concentration. Uh, he'll be a a good player in this league. Just gotta continue to work at it.
Speaker 1: Offensively.
Speaker 4: You had ten points on the first two drives, But what did you see change after that?
Speaker 6: Again, I'll go back and look at the film. Uh it it would be easy to say, you know, the you know, the vibe on the sideline was down. It wasn't down. It was still Ugh it wasj I. It always comes back to execution in my eyes, and just didn't do it. It wasn't like a big adjustment that was made or anything. Like that. We just wanna make in the place.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you wish you had brought the team are earlier.
Speaker 6: To get like that? Nah? H. Look, once again, we started the game off fast and they felt you know, they felt good. I asked multiple players and we just didn't finish. But usually word.
Speaker 1: Concentration when you were talking.
Speaker 6: Is a almost growing toward the Oh. I don't think so. I think every single week is its own weekend.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: You gotta hit the reset button.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: And that includes concentration, attention to the details, all of those things.
Speaker 1: How that concern?
Speaker 11: How do you use how do you motivation?
Speaker 6: What do you struggle like to Well, first, I have to remind him he's a young football player, and I'm not using that as an excuse, but I mean, this isn't the last iteration or evolution of Jalen polp. He She says, to get back in the in the in the uh the meeting rooms, and then go back out there on the field and get better.
Speaker 1: A message to them.
Speaker 6: Every time I talk to you guys, I I n understand that the players read all of that stuff. So I always use this vehicle as a way to reinforce a message or get a message out to those guys. Do you think there's always a way to be harder. I think there's there's always a balance in doing that. Again, like we you know, six straight losses. I mean they they feel bad about it as well as a professional player, like you feel bad about losses just like everyone else. And it's about just going back to the drawing board and trying to put some stuff together.
Speaker 3: They describe a team as a soft and me, how would you.
Speaker 6: Describe the coaching staff?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 6: Look, the coaches it well, first it starts with me, and you know, it's about just the mentality of going back to having a tough football team and I just have to do a better job. And like I said, I'll you know, I'll uh think it through on the playing right home, the fun where you just feel close challenging.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: Look, it's hard to win football games in the NFL, and I I totally understand that. I've talked to season coaches, head coaches around the league and they say the same thing. It's tough. It's tough. And then once again, uh, every week is its own week. Coach what last process school?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 18: So of the most successful begin up one six second off the season. What's what goes to people in the place to the least can shoot.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be something this team.
Speaker 10: Yup.
Speaker 6: I think the main goal is the next week, thank you, and there you go.
Speaker 1: There's your head. Coach. Drob Mayo asked about Jalen polk Uh softening a little bit, saying that he will be a good player in this league. He just needs to continue to work at it. Didn't say anything about his mental issues. Also asked about the decision to go for it, go for two after scoring the touchdown, and uh, you know what, he brought up something that we hadn't mentioned before. If that way they know what they need. So I think I think he's I think he's brought me around on this. He he did say it's a philosophical decision. Other people disagree.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't like if it was just about knowing what you need, right, Why wouldn't you just kick a field goal on third down?
Speaker 1: Save some time? Well, now you know what you need, right right?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 3: He set it down nine with down twelve.
Speaker 1: Knowing what you need, knowing what you have, knowing what you can do without. That's inventory. I don't I don't. I don't get it. I just don't get it either.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of analytics stuff that is sort of taking the league over that I think has been for the better. I think more teams are willing to go forward on fourth down, even in uncon unconventional spots on the field, which I think is smart. I think it's good football. I just can't understand why you would rather be down nine so you know you need two scores with eight minutes left from the game, rather than be down eight no one, you only need one score.
Speaker 1: I know it's a philosophy. I don't know why I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't understand why it's better because you know what you need. I don't understand that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, i'd say too on Polk, Like, I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. I mean it's not that extreme, but like I've never in my time here watching all the training camp and seeing a player and thinking like, all right, this guy's going to be pretty good to just see kind of a mental block. I don't know that's the tweet or I guess the ig story that he put up with just the peace sign, But I don't know. I just I've never usually can get a good sense of how player is. And you know, we've seen plenty of receivers over my time. Year man, that guy just can't get open. He's inconsistent, he has drops or he gets hurt. And with Polke it he felt. Man, he looks pretty solid and somehow he is. Uh, he's just I've never seen a player kind of fighting it like this before.
Speaker 1: All right, what did Drake May have to say after his performance today in the thirty two to sixteen loss to the Jaguars in London. Let's hear from the quarterback right now?
Speaker 8: Character.
Speaker 22: Yeah, No, We've been preaching fast start, you know, VP he want us to start fast.
Speaker 1: He said it last week. We didn't do it.
Speaker 22: But I feel like, you know, we did that today and just didn't sustain it long enough. You know, had some chances down in the red zone that second drive that wish I have back. No other than that, I think what coach Mayo's preaching me have to run the football, and when we do throw it on first and second down, then we gotta I gotta find some completions to get us in you know, third manageable. You know, third and longs hard in this league.
Speaker 5: And I thought.
Speaker 22: The guy's battle, you know, especially up front. This guy's playing their butts off those guys a lot up front, and I feel like we made some plays just not good enough.
Speaker 16: What do you think.
Speaker 1: Fast start?
Speaker 22: Yeah, I think yeah, But I think other than maybe one or two other games this season, we just you know, we hadn't fast started fast in a while. It was kind of it was something new for us. So you know, probably the guys were starting fast. I think I had, you know, KB open and you know the third down down there, you know, in the second drive, maybe punch one in, you'll punch another one in, and you know, maybe a different ball game, so maybe you know, a couple of throws here and there, you know for me as well. And then other than that, we just gotta, I guess, just find out your ways to you know, get first downs. And I feel like the Jackson nice job of you know, time possession shoot we had for a while there in the second half, one drive the whole half until the end, so.
Speaker 1: Uh, no credit him.
Speaker 22: And then just gotta, I don't know, work harder, Uh find something different, you know, find something different.
Speaker 21: Here.
Speaker 1: And several times and you say that.
Speaker 22: To yeah, I mean, coach Mayo's not gonna come in here and say something he hasn't said us in the locker room. You know, I think you're not tough. You always preach being tough. He appreachies today. You know, being tough is you know, running the football, stop in the run and covering kicks is what he said. So I think he does a great job of leading the leela and the messages and then the guys know, you know, John Jones gave speech after the game saying, you know you gotta find it. You know, you gotta find something and uh, you know what we're doing is not good enough, and you've got a man up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 22: I think the little things. I think little things like you know, the false stars that falls off on me. We gotta be more, you know, clearing up front with the cadence, with the line and and those guys. But other than that, I took care of the football maybe one time, uh one, two times endangered it and then on that last one the fourth down just it's just football there. But uh than that, I feel like I'm seeing it well, make a few different throws. But other than that, I think you do a better job on the sideline sometimes pumping the guys up or you know, really in some messages to different guys that may you may see this, Hey what are you thinking, and and little things like that. But you know, I thought we you know, had some some bright spots again today, but like I said, not good enough. Yeah, they uh guys, it's the hot you know, we're hot to the back and they ended up bringing I think back are in safety and you know, they dropped out the guy the defense vent on the opposite side. So just find a completion, you know it third and Timber already field goal range and then Hasey made play. I think they'll do more of that of getting her guys the ball and let him make plays. And I thought I tried to do that today. I found the checkdowns you know, uh uh, you know, besides that last drive just when they're playing deep. You know, I found some checkdowns earlier on in the game that helped us. And I feel like, you know, a little plays like that in the first second down. Can you'll go a long way for us.
Speaker 1: This week?
Speaker 5: As do these feel.
Speaker 22: Weel, yeah, I think more and more, you know, more and more you're out there and you've seeing different things, seeing different fronts, seeing different cover coverages and uh getting a better feel. You know, I think the Jags, you know, did some different stuff of playing guys a different spot in the same coverage and then other than that, you know, I'm here to help the football team win and we're not getting that done, so you gotta do something different. Yeah, No, I think you know, JP's a great player. You know he's making plays. You know that it's a little slick out there. Sometimes the ball's on the paint and you know, the paint all over the ball, so it's I think, you know, it's just the field a little bit better than that. I gotta find ways to get the football early. You know, I can get him in the game early. I think that will help help him. You'll feel involved. Gotta make a better throw to him on the corner out on the first drives, you know, little things like that to get him involved. Cause you know, he's a good player for us and you know we need him out there. So it's on me to you know, kind of get him going. And throughout the week he's always asked me to watch film and and little things like that, and I guess so after practice he's always there, so you know, maybe You've got to do more. You know what we're doing is that, you know, do more.
Speaker 1: Guys starting to how.
Speaker 22: Game the last Yeah, you know, Pop's a great player for us, and you made a great you'll play on. You know, a couple of good players in the first drive. But you know it's next man up. You know this is the NFL. You know, some big dudes clodding into each other out there on the field. So you got the next man up. And you'll credit to Pop for battling through and being out there as much as he can. He's a great player for us and hopefully have him back.
Speaker 1: Thank You'll all right, there goes Drake May after his performance today thirty two to sixteen the final from London, where uh he himself played well early on, certainly during the uh the opening driver to ended up twenty six at thirty seven on the day for two hundred and seventy six yards, two touchdowns, no picks, but certainly not enough after things just kind of stalled and the defense couldn't get a stop. I didn't even know it, I didn't even plan on doing it, but I think I've just kind of encapsulated my thoughts on.
Speaker 4: Today's game that's pretty much it, right, I mean, you just you'd love to see what would happen if they had a little bit more of a running game, if they got some stops on defense, if they got forbid, got some takeaways on defense, things like that that can affect the game positively for the Patriots offense and put them in a better position.
Speaker 5: So, you know, they did a little bit, but not.
Speaker 4: Enough, and they certainly didn't get much help from them more to special teams.
Speaker 1: There's been another explanation of the decision to go for too early from Ben Volin. He says it's probably the right decision. There's still down nine, but now they know they need two scores and have a twenty two left. Had they waited until the end of the game to go for two and failed, they wouldn't have had enough time to make it up. One of the first comments after that post was the quote, it's better to be down two scores than one score in a game you've struggled to score points in with with the guy with the guy with uh what's his name from the hangover? Yeah, yeah, doing.
Speaker 4: The the ra beautiful mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's like no, no, you're you're not gonna get I need something in all seriousness, so we've had some fun with the whole nine thing, right, I need somebody to give me something.
Speaker 3: Other than you know what you need. I need another reason, another factor.
Speaker 1: Give me some give me. Give me a stance as a percentage of success for teams that have done it both ways, where are you more likely to succeed but to situations? How about that to me? Like that's see.
Speaker 3: I think that's part of the problem is too much of the analytics is completely results oriented. It's not you know, I've seen a million bad decisions that worked. It doesn't make it right just because it worked. So I would like I just scoreboard. I get yeah, thank you Felger, perfect scoreboard perfect because I don't know if you know, but Patrick Mahomes didn't play as a rookie and he turned out to be a great quarterback. So that means if he had played is a rookie, he would stink right scoreboard, scoreboard. So I can't point you're trying to make it. My point is maybe if he played as a rookie he'd be even better.
Speaker 1: I don't know. He never played as a rookie, so I can't.
Speaker 3: Really prove that, but scoreboard tells me that he's a really good player and absence of scoreboard, Right, that's what you said, So I need something other than.
Speaker 1: That way you know what you need?
Speaker 3: Because I like, why is it better? Like so there's eight minutes left and I know I need one score? Like, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 4: Because all I hear is I'd rather know I'm down by two scores than be down by one score.
Speaker 1: No, but like that way, you know what you need.
Speaker 3: If you kick it and you're down eight, you don't know what you need, Like I need something other than you know what you need?
Speaker 1: That is all that's the you know what you just you saved it for the end, but that's the best point. If you kicked the extra point, you know what you need.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm That's why I'm harping on that phrase so much, like why is it better to know you need two scores than one?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Either way, you know what you need? Do see need anything else? Do you have any other final thoughts?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: No, I don't.
Speaker 4: It was a tough loss and I'm not really Yeah, the Jets coming in with Devanta Adams will see how that looks with them and you know, it's a rejuvenated offense. The defense they just got to find something. They gotta find ways to get stops, makefield. They don't know the players really to go to. I'm not sure how they're gonna pull it out of a hat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this I totally agree with Mike. If you cannot find a way to play better defense, it's not really gonna matter.
Speaker 1: Well, gentlemen, it's been an absolute uh giggle fest being back with you. Thank you so much for having our three coming out. It's been a gas. It's been a gas.
Speaker 21: No.
Speaker 1: No, as a matter of fact, there is no hour three.
Speaker 3: I really do appreciate you coming. Yeah, I would it would have taken away our fun if Mike, if you know, I would have made my coast. So it would have taken some.
Speaker 4: Time when you have like a brief fling with your ex and they get, God, what do we have?
Speaker 5: Work?
Speaker 1: Work?
Speaker 5: Why couldn't we make this? Well, we're in love with different people now, so what.
Speaker 10: Do you want?
Speaker 1: If I stuck around for a third hour, it'd be painfully obvious why it didn't work. But no, I I've watched the show every week with you and Matt, and it's been great, so thank you for having me back for this game today, presented by DraftKings here on the Patriots Postgame Show, the final score for the final time Patriots sixteen Jaguars thirty two. Thank you for listening and watching.
Speaker 10: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.