Speaker 1: The volume. All right, coming up in ten minutes. I have yet to bring him on, but about nine months to a year ago we hired Snaps. It was an SEC college football show. Aaron Murray is the former Georgia quarterback and then T Bob Abar. His dad played in multiple leagues USFL, NFL, was a quarterback professionally for fifteen years Falcon Saints, and T Bob a bear a wildly colorful, outspoken, hysterically funny, thought provoking host. He's I think he is really the most compelling voice of college football in the South, and I feel so goddamn lucky we have him at the volume. But I'm going to give you thirty minutes of his world view on Brian Kelly, ed orgeron Nick Saban, Lincoln Riley, Texas, Oklahoma coming in, and something on his dad. So his dad was the quarterback for the Falcons the Saints. That jumps out to me went to a small school. Great story, and I want to introduce you to him. I introduced you a couple of years ago to Jason Timph, three years ago to John Middlecoff. T Bob is truly one of a kind. He is just a remarkable talent and he joined us in ten minutes. But first I want to address something. Unlike college basketball, where a player doesn't have to go to college, he can go to the G League, he can go overseas. College football players have to go to college for a minimum of three years. Most go four, and some red shirt and go five. And at some point during that college career, I presume at least some of them took econ one oh one, an economy class. I understand being upset, but it's basic. Supply and demand. Rule changes have made it more of a passing league, so receivers, quarterbacks, tight ends, and left tackles have never made more. And because the supply and demand, especially the demand part for running backs is on the low side and there's a pretty good supply of them in college, they're not making the money they did. Folks.
Speaker 2: It's analytics.
Speaker 1: These running backs are all upset, guys. It's business. Offensive players are getting paid those directly connected to passing. For the record, the highest paid running back is also the best receiving running back in the NFL, Christian McCaffrey. So for years and years in the NBA, players were often dissuaded from shooting threes. Now they're persuaded to shoot threes. It's called analytics. In baseball, strikeouts were bad, keep the ball in play. Math analytics says, no, strikeouts are not the worst thing. Ground Balls are hit it out of the park. Walk strikeout. Don't hit ground balls. And in football we have all sorts of players that have never been more valuable. Again, left tackle, tight end, wide receiver, quarterback, great corner, edge rusher, interior lineman, Chris Jones, Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox. But there are positions because the middle of the field now is an offensive player zone, not a defensive player that the dominating, intimidating safety less valuable. The linebacker who's off ball and can't cover in space of very little value, interior old lineman less valuable. Running Backs unless they're great at catching the ball and running it and are healthy, not as valuable. It's supply and demand complicated. Their running backs can be upset, And I feel bad for a guy like Austin Eckler who got drafted loan, never made big money, and now is left without the contract he desires. I feel bad, But Saquon Barkley was a top ten pick. He's made more money than all but Christian McCaffrey and Derrick Henry in the entire league. At his position, he made his money early. Some guys make it late. That's the way pro sports works. Cultures, analytics change, business changes. I saw a study the other day where airline pilots thirty five percent admit napping during flights. That's because the cockpit is more automated. I mean outside of the first three minutes. In the last eight they don't do much. You still need a pilot in case of an emergency, but they're not as responsible for the safety as the passengers as they once were. So you know, people are getting very emotional about this. I've worked in local and national TV radio podcasting for a long time. I started my career doing local sports. It basically got eliminated. Then I did local sports talk radio. ESPN radio went all in. That mostly got eliminated except major markets. Then I did syndicated radio ESPN. Not that it got eliminated, but if you didn't have an accompanying television simulcast, it wasn't as valuable. That's why I went to Fox. And now cable TV is eroding, so cable TV my career in cable TV could be ending here in the next six or seven years or whenever. There's no guarantees. I've constantly been trying to pivot to retain employment. I'm not bitter about it. Running Backs can absolutely enhance themselves by being better receivers, Christian McCaffrey, being better run blockers. I mean, cam Aker's got in the doghouse for the Rams why he refused to pass block and he gotten Sean mcvay's doghouse. He improved in the second part of last year, got back on the field. So there's where it's to enhance your status, enhance longevity. But some of it for running backs as luck, they're the last player you can tackle viciously from any angle. Everybody else is protected in football on offense except the running back. He remains the pinata of the league. So some of this was inevitable and I can feel bad, But like any other career, doesn't matter if you're a banker or a running back or a media personality. Side hustles constantly trying to add value to your career. It's part of the game. Twenty years ago. If you didn't pay I don't know if Gail Sayers was a pass blocker or Oj Simpson, but it was a running league. Now it's a passing league, and the quarterbacks making forty seven million dollars a year protect him. So I can feel bad for running backs. They still get paid, not as much as they used to. Sports tend to be cyclical. Maybe it comes around. Let's be honest. Now it was a small ball NBA about thirty years ago. Now yokicha title, Yannis a title. The Lakers were a big team in the bubble of title biggs are coming back around as long as they're highly skilled, can pass you to jumper and defend. So it's cyclical. The league will never be the CFL. The league may get so finesse and pass happy with continuing rules to help offense that a big, strong running back that can control the clock and keep it away from Mahomes and Lamar and Josh Allen and Herbert may emerge and we may move into a different cycle of the power running back who can keep it away from Mahomes. Maybe that will be the future. But guys, supplying to man econ one oh one, you have to go to college for three years to be in the NFL. Most played four years. Somewhere there five you had to take an Econ class somewhere. Summer is heating up in so is pro baseball. You can certainly watch your favorite baseball team on television, but there is nothing like being at the ballpark to watch your favorite team. For last minute amazing deals. To see your favorite baseball team live. Check out game Time, the fastest growing ticket app in the United States and it doesn't stop in sports. July means huge summer concerts and huge comedy shows all over the country, and game Time is the place they have all your tickets. Download the game Time app and the redeem code Colin that's me cooln for twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply and with it you get twenty bucks off twenty bucks no matter where you live, wherever, go out and have some fun this week. Download game Time today.
Speaker 2: It's so easy.
Speaker 1: Last minute tickets Major League Baseball, lowest prices guaranteed. So let me ask you. I pick LSU to win the title this year. I think they have the most depth of talent. I'm a huge, huge Brian Kelly fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: And when he got called out by the media, he's never been he's a little grumpy, a little rigid, and he doesn't have you know, he's kind of got that uh Tom Coughlin face turning plumb screaming. I always thought he was tough on quarterbacks, but I think once you do it four times, four quick turnarounds, you know what the hell you're doing. So he goes out and does a couple of cringy things on social media and everybody crushed him. How did that play though in LSU? How did it plan Baton Rouge? How did it play in among your fans?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting, right because right now he has a near one hundred percent approval rate. But that's what beating Alabama and winning the SEC Western year one will do, Like especially in a year where you were picked to finish last like a lot of days, I think else you win total last year was like six and a half and they end up going ten and four, And you think about a colin. You know this better than anyone in sports. What actually decides a fan base's happiness level is not the results themselves, it's where do they land in relation to expectations? Right, So, Brian Kelly vastly exceeded expectations, but even at the time, even pre wins, there was a belief at LSU that they had a special guy and that wasn't hard to get there. I mean, if you looked at Kelly's resume, it's on parallel, well without unparalleled, without a nattic, right. I mean, he's the winning his coach in all of college football. He's just missing that crown jewel. He left a Notre Dame team that was on the edge of the playoff to join a six and seven LSU team with thirty nine scholarship players. So that tells you what he thought about the but of LSU, and I think that played with a lot of the local people and more than that, man is he wasn't Notre Dame Brian Kelly. Everything you just said, grumpy, impersonal authoritarian, that's all melted away. He's one of the most personable people I've ever seen. I was blown away. One of the first sights when he got the job. I was invited up to the stadium for a little meet and greet bunch of alumni boosters, you know, one of those type deals, and watching him work to the room, I was like, Okay, this dude's different, Like this is I love Coacho. That's my boy. Like I just said, right, I played for less miles for many for five years. LSU hadn't had anybody like this since Nick Saban. His political acumen. As he worked that room, It's like he had a whirlpool of influence around him. He had people kind of subtly feed him information, cracking jokes. Getting it just felt like watching like a fortune five hundred CEO work room. He just carries himself with a granitas.
Speaker 1: That is yeah. And I think sometimes the media does a poor job of hiding their agendas, is that Brian can be gruff. The Notre Dame job is one of the unique jobs in college football where the media still believes it's elite. But the truth is they can't recruit with LSU, Bama, Georgia or even I would say Lincoln Riley or Ohio State or Harball when they're really rolling. There's an academic umbrella. It's a small, rural, cold weather town Notre Dame now is a hard job. Now, by the way, his three predecessors, Ty Willingham, you know, Bob Davey, Charlie Weiss illustrated how damn Howard is right. So it's like people don't understand everybody wins at LSU. In the last twenty years. One guy has won it, Notre Dame, and so when he took the job, I said, I get it. LSU in my opinion, and I really I've said this before, maybe the best job because Louisiana, the state gives you thirty Division one players. You can get twelve to fifteen year class, especially interior linemen. The size is in so important California. You can't find an elite defensive tackle. You guys have like six to eight a year.
Speaker 2: Y'all, y'all get but y'all got the quarterbacks, dude. Everybody still goes out west to farm them quarterbacks. But we got yeah, we got your skills. We got some size down here for sure.
Speaker 1: So I guess I think this is the best team in the country. I like Jayden Daniels. He elevated pretty marginal talent in Tempe. Give me your takeaway on my proclamation they can win a title. What worries you about LSU and where do you think they can? They can be even better than Georgia.
Speaker 2: So I think what worries me is still what Brian Kelly Deck's has been talking about is listed recentable media tour where he's kind of saying, look, we're in year two, We're not at We're not as fleshed out as a Kirby Smart in Alabama or excuse me, a Kirby Smart Georgia, Nick Saban Alabama, unless you still have some filling into the corners to do if you like now now, frontline starters they're twenty two is as good as anybody, right, Jane Daniels second highest heismanodge you're turning the entire offensive line. You had true freshman started tackles in the SEC last year and they did well. So frontline starters, yes, but there may be a little brittle, right, a couple of key injuries, and I don't know that they have the ability to absorb it in a way that Georgia would, in a way that Alabama would. Now quarterback, ironically, they might be all right. Garrett Nolsmier's probably about as frisk give a backup as you're gonna find. But to me, like the thing, it's interesting as Kell's been going around and saying, you know, I think in year three will be in an even better spot. And as a head coach, it's probably true when it comes to the overall health of the program. They're still taking transfers where they'd like to get more high school development. But to your point, Colin, there is a sneaky good window right now in year and um two, nobody has a quarterback. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, they're all working in you guys. But LSU, between the coaching staff and the players, has more returning than nearly anybody else. And they do have the talent win a championship. It's just that they're not as complete as Georgia and Alabama right now. Like the secondary answer questions, don't know who the starting corner is gonna be. You have talent there, you know who'snna win that job. Edge defender is probably the biggest weakness on the team. Or now you don't have a true dominant pass Rusheran you're probably talking about relying on a true freshman and Sean Womack to play that role. So so very very good championship potential. I still just see little imperfections that when you're talking about what decides these things, that may be the thing that holds them back.
Speaker 1: So Saban the South is can be insular and protective of its history. So Sabin is a combination of feared, beloved and hated in the South right, it's a very the trifecta that they're very proud of what he has created. The greatest football dynasty ever collegiately. And I look at it now and he goes up against He's going to go up against Sark and Lane Kiffen and Kirby Smart and Brian Kelly. And I've said this for years. Part of the success of Lebron James and that Eastern Conference was so a lot of bad owners, a lot of bad coaches in the Eastern Conference. I mean some of it was the West had the dynasty, the KD Steph Dinasty. Lebron wouldn't get to the finals through the West in those years. And so when Sabin first came into the conference, the first eight nine years has a lot of bad coaches and a lot of the big dogs, the Georgia's, the Tennessees, sometimes the LSUS, they just Florida. They just couldn't get their act together. Now, ad Sark's gonna be a handful. Is there a sense Nick's aged doesn't work the recruiting trail quite as much people have stolen some of the secret sauce. Is there a sense now that Alabama on any given Saturday, you guys last year is much more beatable?
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's data to back up the more beatable things, So there is some measure of decline there, and that isn't credit to the HighRes I mean, what about shoe freeze at open Like that's a perfect fit. Maybe not here in year one, but like there's only so much oxygen to go around the room. I don't know, it's all gonna break. The only thing that worries me not Alabama, and I'm being worried in terms of those who have suffered at the hand of the crimson Emperor in the past, who have felt that boot heel of oppression on our neck. The only thing that worries me is everybody's kind of talking down to him. Nick Saban very famously used to have to fight against rat poison, right, you have to fight against what Kirby Smart's trying to fight again to now, complacency. Now he has more legitimate bulletin war material than he has ever had previously. And in shocking Colin, but blue chip ratio have you heard about that Bud Elliott puts it together and basically it looks at okay, what percentage of your roster are blue chip prospects? No team since they started doing this about seventeen years ago has ever won a Natty with less than fifty percent bluechip ratio. Alabama leads the country once again. I think they're at like high eighties right now. So they still are even though they have questions, who's gonna be the starting quarterback? If you didn't win with Bryce Young, how are you gonna within this guy? Like, they have questions, but they still have the most talented roster top to bottom. And where it becomes concerned is that if they figure out quarterback, if one of these new guys hit, if Ty Simpson, maybe Jaylen Miller, maybe one of these freshmen, if they hit, they're immediately as much of a championship contender once again as anyone. I mean, go look at all the computer models, whether it's Austin Bots model at the f I think Bill Connolly's at ESPN. All the computers love Alabama, love Alabama's humans are like these question So I think I feel like Nick's thanks to Kirby's rise, Nick is in the spot that he's never been before, where he's kind of laying a relative underdog relative to what Alabama has been. This is as doubted as they have ever been.
Speaker 1: So Oklahoma and Texas after the season will enter the SEC. It's a good news bad news. The good news is the SEC will extend its dominance in college football and its status. The bad news is, you know, if you're off week is playing Oklahoma at home, it's just going to be impossible to go undefeated, like you just two more teams to face, and Sark, for all the misgivings about him, is an elite recruiter and they got big, big bodies on the Owen d lines. Yeah, how are listen? SEC fans the ones that call a Paul Feinbaum show think you know, Alabama's never going to lose, But when you talk to your realistic fan in the South, is there some concern that shit? Man? How many top fifteen teams can you play? I mean Texas, I watched them play Alabama last year. Yeah, athlete the athlete, they looked like the same. I can argue Texas had the better roster, Bama had the better coach. I mean, I'll watched that game, and I thought, you know, you needed Bryce Young That's why it was the number one pick. Texas looked bigger and stronger. So not just your fanboy, but is there some concern that guys like it's a gauntlet forget the playoff? How do you get there?
Speaker 2: Well, that goes back to like the only so much oxygen in the room, right, Like, how in the world are all these teams going to breathe? All these teams fans again, to go back to expectation levels, it's to be in the playoffs now. Now for Texas, that may be a bit underd B. Oklahoma, that's the winningest program in the last twenty five years. All they did was win ten games every year, like last season was an aberration for them. So, but in terms of what the realistic SEC fan is expecting, Honestly, Colin, I don't I don't think at this moment, I don't think they're very intimidated by Texas Oklahoma and the reason being are a couple. First Off, Texas been down since that Mac Brown National championship, right, They've been pretty consistently down. And it's interesting to hear you talk about Sark because I'm a bit of a Stark down or here where Sarks never won ten games. I need Stark to prove to me that he can win ten games. I need to start to prove these things before I give them a bit of the I likes an elite recruiter, But how does that team go eight and five last year when they're more talented than every other Big twelve team that they're facing. How does Oklahoma under Bret Mintabals go six and seven when they're more talented than every Big twelve team that they're facing. And so I think for now this is this is likely Hubris right, but that's what we do as people. But I think for now, as the Sea fans, it's not, oh man, we don't know what we're getting into them doing. I think I se Seed fans will get Texas at home, but say, you don't know what you're getting into you and Oklahoma's being able to just run through the Big twelve for a decade now and just kind of have their way as Texas kind of flounders and tries to find themselves once again. So honestly, I even think kind of irrational fans here aren't overly concerned. That's why this year is so important for Texas right start needs to prove it that he's the guy going in there. So important for Oklahoma fans that they can believe in print Vinnables because we've never seen Brent Fvinnables be a head coach and even as a coordinator. He's in that Dado Sweeney environment, which isn't really representative of their environments around the country. Oh have recruited at or elite levels. Right, I didn't think Vinables can recruit. He already proved me wrong there. Now they got to prove it, prove wrong and feel like answer me this con Texas and Oklahoma, what's they have to finish one two in the Big Twelve? Like they are arkedly more talented than any other team the Big Club, Why should it they?
Speaker 1: Kansas State returns like eighteen starters. The feeling is this is the best Kansas State team in forever. So they got picked second. They return a ton. But I agree with you, Oklahoma doesn't look at seventy percent of Kansas State players. They don't recruit them, They're not even interested. So to your point of here's my concern about Brett Venables. I think Oklahoma missed on their head coaching higher. And by the way, even schools like Alabama have missed several times. USC has missed several times, Michigan has missed several times. Notre Dame has it happens. The first thing I always look at, does the coach you hire is his side of the ball locked up? Cinched up dramatically better immediately. Lincoln Riley took a four win team to an elite offense Sean McVay NFL Kirby smart defense, Saban got the defense right before the offense. Forget the Sooners offense. The defense was an s show like that tells me. That tells me T Bob, he's over his skiz. They got they got a coordinator. The defense was awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean, look I I it's it's again why I think Oklahoma this offseason they have a very good gymnastics program. And you could tell because the fans have been doing a lot of mental gymnastics to try to explain why Bread Vittabules is a guy now. Granted again, to their credit, this is like they're they're kind of drowning right now, and they're desperate. They're looking to fight everybody. They're looking for something to latch onto. They've latched onto recruiting. You know, he's done well there and so that's kind of their only comeback right now. But I'm with Yukon. He's supposed to be an defensive coach. Again. They had talent on the defense, Lincoln took offensive guys. He didn't take the defense, and they were dead last and vigor. They were awful, completely awful. They give up more first downs than anyone in in in the Power five. So I'm I'm look, I'm I'm not a Bret Vinables believer. I've been very clear about that. I'm also not a Stark believer. I think both these schools that have all the potential in the world, I just think they got a hit on the right guy. Here's Michael with Vinables again. I think he has to win ten games. He has to be able to try that he can compete for champion. For Big Talf Champ's Oklahoma start. I'm giving sarka lowbar this year. Texas win ten games with a Bowl game. If you do that, I'll e cro I'm wrong. Vinables kind of the same deal. You get the ten wins. I'll allow for being here. Two. The only thing that makes me a little angry. Also in the Oklahoma Venables front is he talks about I need to change the culture. When he got there, the culture was twenty five straight winning seasons, stacking six in a row, Big twelve championships. The culture is one of the most successful football programs of all time that you took over. And like you said, and this is where I really terrified. If I'm an Oklahoma fan, everything college football is about the head coach. He is your Roman politician general. He is the one that's going to decide the fate of the country that you love so much. Look at what happened to Oklahoma when Lincoln Riley left, and look at what happened to USC when Lincoln Riley got there. That is an elite guy. That's the top five guy. And when you have one of those, you kind of hold on to it for everything it's worth. And Oklahoma never in their wildest dreams would have thought that they could get one of those guys poached. I mean, it's crazy, like that's one of the most successful programs in collge football history. That should never happen. But it shows you the power of USC and that Trojan brand.
Speaker 1: Here's my theory on why Lincoln Riley left Oklahoma. Unlike Louisiana, unlike Georgia, unlike Alabama, Unlike Florida or Texas. Oklahoma's recruiting profile the state now provides about six elite players a year, so he looked at going to play those recruiting hotbitch, He's not going to be able to pull players out of lsh out of Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas. Going to the SEC was going to make him it harder to pull players out of Texas. It's virtually unheard of. Oregon's an outlier though they have no national title, to be from a state that delivers less than fifteen elite players annually and win a title. So Phil Knight has made Oregon geographically isolated in a state that gives you three viable They recruit California, but Lincoln Riley looked at the weakness of the PAC twelve, the supply of California athletes, and said, I can put a stop sign on Big ten teams and SEC teams get twelve to eighteen of my players from here. My competition's weak. UCLA is a basketball school, and I think Lincoln Riley smartly. Everybody said he's not a man. I think his business. I think he looked at it and went Oklahoma its best days are over and USC is a sleeping giant. That was my take when it happened. The day it happened. What was your initial thought?
Speaker 2: So the day it happened, I was one of the I was one of the kind of poopooers running away from competition sort of guys.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It felt like a sexy tape at the time. But combined with that was the potential of USC. And this is something that I actually have a lot of trouble get through to my audience in Louisiana because I'll mention USC and they want to act like USC is just far away, high fluting, unthreatened, and no they don't care. They're like, oh but they don't care that we care, And I'm like, okay, that's fine. But economically ninety percent of the population of Louisiana buying in, Like, what does it take five percent of LA and you match the economics, so like, yeah, the potential of USC is it seeds out of Oklahoma. Now, I do think you give recruit to Okahma. I think that's been proven, Like the Texas football economy is unbelievable. I was looking at some of the other day. Colin actually was based off of your take, So I was like, Okay, is it realistic to think that A and M and Texas and Oklahoma can all take players in same state and they actually had so, like Texas just produces an unreal amount of players, but it's way harder, but it's way harder and it takes way more work. And in Texas gets strong, it's only going to get harder. And you're in the SEC, it's only gonna get harder. And the Big Ten is a better conference in the Pac twelve, but it's top heavy. It's very very top heavy, right, Like you got your Big three, and a USC's gonna fit in fine amongst the Big three and immediately be able to compete. So no, I agree that the inherent potential of USC is greater than that of Oklahoma, even if Oklahoma is still really good. I just don't get if I'm Oklahoma, I do not get it settling for availables, like like what did Scott Woodward do when the l shoot job came open? He went and were great? He pried Brian Kelly out of Notre Dame. Why did you go with Crimson's defensive coordinator when you give some of the Moose Heisman's college football history and the most national championship college football history. It just it's tough.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It all felt very kind of reactive to me in a way.
Speaker 1: One final question, I want you to because you're such a funny guy that we all dated girls, fun girls, but there was something why we married who we married, yep, and whatever it is we had, there were just women that you make that decision and they think the same way with us, By the way, they look at some of us as datable, some as marriage material. I consider ed, oh, the best girlfriend in the history of college football. He's not long term. He's exciting, but he's a lot of every weekend as a blast. How is he viewed now? I mean literally, you don't know what he's gonna say. He's got his own brand. You'd think kill you know, I mean, he got a divorce, there's recruiting stuff. Yeah, but yeah, he's just a good time. How is he viewed by ut Bob and LSU nation?
Speaker 2: So it probably is like the greatest one night stand in history, Like you said, like when you're laying next to your wife and you love your wife, or you love Brian Kelly. He's dependable, he's incredibly intelligent, he's caring, he does all the little things. But you think about fifteen to zero and Joe Burrow and the Heisman and Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson and all these sorts of things. So that is actually what he's been a real fascinating kind of revelation that have had recently, which is ironically, Brian Kelly is the best thing that ever happened to ed Osron. And it's because nobody cares about the bad two years now, nobody cares. It doesn't matter, it's it's gone. And now all the pressures on Kelly because instead of Edo like the fear is something like what we mentioned is happened at Texas or a usc where you hire the wrong guy or at least it starts to go wrong, because that was the right guy for a while. Now he wasn't ready to have success, right, but he went six and two interim, he went nine and four, ten and three fifteen to zero, so there was a consistent climb there. But then success came and we all kind of saw what happened, and so the fear is if you miss on a couple of those guys, you set yourself back years, and that's when people get angry, and that's when the legacies are tarnished. But all of a sudden, instead of o setting you back years, you're good. You feel like you have your best coach that you've had since ing Sam, and you feel like the future is brighter than ever. And now all the pressure's on Brian Kelly. So all of a sudden ed, Oh, there's no bad ill will towards going six and seven and the last year, all the drama, all the bad dress. It's like it's the ex girlfriend. Things actually perfect because you only remember the good times now, but it's all because of the success of Kelly and now happy you are now and where you think your relationships going currently.
Speaker 1: What was it like to be the son of the New Orleans Saints quarterback Bobby A.
Speaker 2: Bear?
Speaker 1: What is that life like?
Speaker 2: It's cool, man, it's funny. So I was. I was born in eighty nine and on Men went to the Falcons about ninety two, so my memories were of him playing in Atlanta. But he used to have every Saints game, all of his games, we had him on VHS, and so I'm being a little kid, and I would pop in the old Saints recordings and watch like Saints Raiders, like nineteen ninety or whatever, like Monday Night Football, and I'd sit there and I'd like take notes and stabs during the game. So I got a bit of the don't patrol zeitgeist, right, the birth of the Saints actually being a team that could consistently make the playoffs. And so I gained through these VHS tapes, I gained kind of almost like a time travel understanding of what he meant to that city and to that franchise where they had been so bad for so long. They were the Aints, the paper bags. They were losers, I mean perennial losers. And I know it pays. I mean, you never want a playoff game. They end up going zhing for in the playoffs, right, But it was still the most consistent winning that they had. And it's funny, man, because, like I think, it can always whenever you have a father who has done these great things, sometimes that can be a negative, right, Maybe you get in your head, maybe it applies too much pressure or it's just too much. And maybe because I didn't play quarterback, but I never felt that it was always dude, it was always such a it was always just such like a positive like I remember, like the insight. I mean, he played professional football for fifteen years, started to Abell Michigan Panthers, Oakland Invaders, Saints NFL for twelve years. The insight that he gave me growing up on how to mentally handle things, technique things. And then when I get older and I need more offensive line work, I got to work with like some of his old teammates and everything. So like I'm someone who it's always been in that positive. Man, It's just I feel. Look, I am very blessed. I am a beneficiary of nepotism. I would have never gotten my start in this industry without him later becoming a radio legend in New Orleans, right, And so I'm very cognizant of this. I do not take this for granted. And all I want to do is try to do the best with the with the kind of unarmed opportunity that I was given at a at a very young age. And I thank my father for that man he was. It's it's yeah, like I said, I just think back and think about how he put his body on the line, caging kid from Louisiana, didn't grow up with much and then and then he rose to these heights to provide for his family and to set up the next generation. It's something that I don't think about a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're the most creative, articulate, thoughtful Southern voice in college football. I thought that when I listened to your first podcast. We were looking for you for a year and Logan Swain, who runs the volume, gave me a tape. I got a tape of you. You and Aaron are great. He's the straight man and you are crazy town. We could not love you more. I think you're just such a unique voice in the sport and we are so f and happy to have you.
Speaker 2: Manel, I'm not gonna lie. God, I feel like I've been like a little of Tidier.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Well there is the boss man, dude. I grew up watching you and everything, and so I mean, I think I'm blessing pretty hard right now. I can't that that means, but making no mistake, bro, we got big things coming to Snaps. So you're me and Aaron are fired up, drums fired up. We've been recording a bunch of stuff here in Nashville. We've been taking going around making the rounds. The Volume's been like one of the best things ever happened to me because I love LSU, I love doing the morning show and everything, but I've been doing Louisiana for like ten years now. Now all of a sudden, I get to expand and talk about the PAC twelve and the Big ten and just all of college hoble and I love it all and I know it all, and it's yeah, thank you, man, It's been awesome things for having me on the podet. This was super fun.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna try to do this on a regular basis, my man. Congrats, say hi to Aaron, and I'll put this out in the morning and on the volume page tonight, Bud, all right, con
Speaker 2: Take it easy man, YouTube dot Com slash at Volume snaps, hit it up, the Volume