Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone, It's Tuesday, July first. Welcome to Morning Run. I'm Amy Robots.
Speaker 1: And I'm TJ Holds and on the run this morning. I guess they don't call it Vodorama for nothing. Senators are still as we speak, burning the midnight oil as Republicans try to pass Trump's Big Beautiful Bill.
Speaker 2: And President Trump takes another shot at Harvard University with a new investigation by his own administration and another round in the Trump versus California saga. Trump is now suing the city of Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Also this morning, we now know the identity of the man who lured, ambushed, and killed two firefighters in Idaho, but his motives remain unclear. Also, an eighty two year old victim of last month's Boulder attack has died of her injuries. Add first degree murder to the suspect's list of charges.
Speaker 2: Plus a second day of deliberations begin in the Dittach after a very busy first few hours yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Also slander, what's slander? It's just a rap beef. A judge is now deciding give Kendrick Lamar's not like us crossed the line from rap beef bangor to defamation. And a record has been set for the fastest serve ever recorded at Wimbledon and robes it was recorded on the day that was the actual hottest first day in the history of Wimbledon. I just put that together.
Speaker 3: Lots of records being set.
Speaker 1: It's the heat. Had anything to do with the heat he put on that tennis ball. I didn't put it together.
Speaker 3: I like that spin you just putting.
Speaker 1: We'll get it. We'll get into that, all right.
Speaker 2: But we begin our run in Washington, DC.
Speaker 3: As of this recording, the floor.
Speaker 2: Of the US Senate was still open for business and has been for about twenty one hours in counting. Now Senators work through the night into so called vodama, and we're not quite sure when this thing is going to actually end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Republicans are trying to get President Trump's big, beautiful bill, his legislative agenda passed, but in order to do so, it has to go through this process where senators are allowed to offer amendments. They can offer as many as they want, and can they do this for as long as they want. However, they don't have all the time in the world. The clock is ticking and Trump is your timekeeper.
Speaker 2: That's right, He said, he wants this bill to his desk by the fourth of July holiday, and no one goes on vacation until his bill gets passed. The fourth is, of course, on Friday. But even if the Senate passes this bill, it still has to go to the House.
Speaker 1: Which is known to do things rather quickly. I'm kidding, folks. Also, a key sticking point of this bill that cuts to Medicaid that are in their analysis show that the bill would leave up to eleven million people without health insurance in the next ten years. Again, romees, there is no sign at this point of when this could possibly end. They could go and go and go. Democrats, of course, trying to stretch this thing out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we keep hearing Republicans saying they're close, They're oh so close.
Speaker 3: But close is not good enough. So we will keep you update on that.
Speaker 2: But next up on our run, an investigation has determined that Harvard University is in violation of the Civil Rights Act and has failed to protect its Jewish students.
Speaker 1: Granted it was President Trump who was doing the investigating, but still take that with a grain of salt. It is the latest public salvo in the ongoing beef between Trump and Harvard. The DOJ yesterday sent a letter to the school saying that Harvard was in violent violation the term they used of the Civil Rights Act and said quote, Harvard has been in some cases deliberately indifferent and in others wilful participants in the anti Semitic harassment of Jewish students, faculty, and staff.
Speaker 2: The DOJ goes on to threaten the loss of all federal financial resources if the school doesn't make adequate changes immediately. Harvard pushed back on the investigation's finding say they disagree with the assessment. The administration has already frozen more than two billion dollars in funding over the past few months after Trump accused the school of failing to address anti Semitism on campus in the wake of the Israel Hamas war.
Speaker 1: Next up on ouran who is Trump gone and soued Now, Yes, we got another lawsuit in the ongoing battle between the state of California and President Trump. He got specific, I guess, not just the whole state. He got very specific in his lawsuit with just the City of Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and the city council. So in then why over the city sanctuary city law, saying they are obstructing federal immigration law enforcement.
Speaker 2: Yes, the lawsuit says the sanctuary laws are illegal and designed to stop federal officials from carrying out their duties. Attorney General Pambondi pointed to the recent unrest in LA, saying this sanctuary policies were the driving cause of the violence, chaos, and attacks on law enforcement that Americans recently witnessed in Los Angeles. Jurisdictions like Los Angeles that flout federal law. By prioritizing her words, here, illegal aliens over American citizens are undermining law.
Speaker 3: Enforcement at every level. It ends under Trump.
Speaker 1: You know, we have been trained in journalism for years and years to stop using the term illegal aliens. Yes, undocumented undocumented immigrants. Yes, people say that's insensitive. I just noticed as you did that, you're reading a quote, and you stopped in the middle of the quote to say, hey, just reminding you.
Speaker 3: She said this, right, her words duly noted, all right.
Speaker 1: LA sanctuary policies prohibit local resources, in particular police officers, from taking part in federal immigration enforcement efforts. The Trump administration says it's one thing to refuse to help federal agents, it's another thing to interfere, obstruct, and discriminate against them.
Speaker 2: Now, a lot of legal experts believe this lawsuit is more of a political statement, saying it's actually legally a weak argument because the federal government cannot force a city to use its resources for federal immigration enforcement. LA along with a couple other cities around the area, also have these sanctuary laws in place, and that's what Trump's been trying to do. He's just been trying to defund but now he's taking this step further with this lawsuit.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll continue on the run on this day is it's Tuesday, Tuesday morning.
Speaker 3: Crist I had to stop and think, actually, hi, you.
Speaker 1: Continue on this Tuesday morning run. The suspect who ambushed firefighters in Idaho has been identified. Police say it was twenty year old West Roly, who intentionally set a brush fire on Sunday to draw firefighters to the area, and then fired on them in a sniper style attack, killing two firefighters and injuring another.
Speaker 2: This all happened on Canfield Mountain. It's a popular recreation area in the community of Cordelane in northern Idaho. Roly is described as a transient who is living out of his car, and his family says they're shocked by this. They say he was actually an aspiring firefighter.
Speaker 1: They said he had the utmost respect for police firefighters the job they do, and wanted to be a part of that community. This does not make any sense. Police did find his body in a wooded area hours after the attack and say Roley died by suicide. They say he had no criminal history at all, and they do not have a motive what happened here.
Speaker 2: His grandfather talked to some local media outlets and was trying to figure it out. The only thing that they can point to is that these firefighters apparently there was some sort of interaction about asking him to move a car, but his grandfather didn't seem to think that would rise to the level where he would be that angered. So it's very confusing, and no one really knows. There was no manifesto, there was no written word, so there's really no explanation as to why that tragedy happened all right. Next up on the Run, an eighty two year old woman who was severely injured in the fire bombing attack and Boulder last month, has died from her injuries. Karen Diamond was a wife, She was a mother and a grandmother of five, and she had just been peacefully walking for the first time that day to support Israeli hostages.
Speaker 1: Well, the Boulder District Attorney has now charged Egyptian national Mohammed Solomon with first degree after her death. There is no death penalty in Colorado, but the Trump administration could seek it because the FEDS have already charged him with twelve counts of hate crimes.
Speaker 2: Now, police say, if you remember, Solomon was shouting free Palestine during the attack, told investigators later he wished all Zionist people were dead. A total of thirteen people were injured in that attack, eight of whom actually had to be hospitalized with burns and other injuries. It was so sad hearing some of the reports of this woman, Karen Diamond recovering in the hospital. She that her family would come and visit her, and according to family members, she.
Speaker 3: Said, don't worry about me. I'm a tough cookie.
Speaker 2: She was fighting till the very end, and we certainly just want to offer our condolences, all right.
Speaker 1: We want to continue our around. The next leg brings us back here to Lower Manhattan, where deliberations will continue this morning. In the Diddy trial, after an eventful first day of deliberations yesterday, eventful first hour, we could even argue, the jury got instructions from the judge first thing Monday morning, went back to start deliberating. But after only about one hour, they sent a note to the judge saying, we had a problem with one of our own.
Speaker 3: That was crazy. So what was the problem.
Speaker 2: Apparently that juror either can't or won't or wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Follow the judge's instructions.
Speaker 2: The exact text of the note to the judge said this, we have a juror, jur twenty five, who we believe cannot follow your honor's instructions one hour.
Speaker 1: How do you know this in one hour? I am so fascinated. The judge got the attorneys together. They had to decide how to respond. Ultimately told the jurors say, hey, stay at it, follow the law, keep deliberating now. The juror in question, Jury twenty five, is a fifty one year old man who is a molecular biologist and lives in Manhattan, so he knows how to follow instructions.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's a very very yes. We can absolutely say that with confidence.
Speaker 1: Yes, and better than most even deliberations then continue. The jury wrapped it around five o'clock, but not before sending another note this when asking for clarification about what legally constitutes drug distribution.
Speaker 2: So the judge is expected to give the jurors a response this morning when they returned to court to continue their deliberations. Did He meanwhile, will remain at the courthouse in a holding cell during the time the jury is deliberating. We know he has to have a couple of books to pass the time, but certainly this has got to be nail biting.
Speaker 3: I guess would be one way to put it.
Speaker 1: All right. We'll keep an eye on that all day today. Again, really a verdict at this point could come at any time, but stay with us here on this Tuesday morning. Ron when we come back. Oh, you thought Kendrick Lamar after the Super Bowl that was the end of the rap battle, he could declare victory. Uh uh. Drake is taking that battle to a whole new arena. Also coming up, a man hit a tennis ball at Wimbledon harder than anybody has ever hit it in the history of that tournament. We continue now on this Tuesday morning run and the Drake Kendrick Lamar rap battle officially became a court battle yesterday, and not like us is at the center of it all. Drake sued Universal Music Group last year, claiming the label worked to promote Kendrick's mega hit, knowing full well that the song included false allegations against Drake, namely that he's a certified pedophile.
Speaker 2: By the way, Universal Music Group is both Kendricks and Drake's record labels. UMG has denied all of Drake's accusations and is arguing in court that this was a rap beef and there is supposed to be trash talking, even extreme trash talking, but the lyrics are not supposed to be taken as fast.
Speaker 1: Do you get that? Does that make sense to him? Did you understand that listening to the song that you should like this is real? Did you take it as fact?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? So Drake is arguing though, that the song achieved such popularity that was heard by a wider, non traditional rap audience. So that wider audience, that's why I was asking ropes. They say they argue they didn't know not to take the lyrics seriously.
Speaker 2: Are you implying that I'm a non traditional rap audience member?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you'll should see her nodding her head right now.
Speaker 3: The answer is yes, I'll answer that for you. Of course I am in that group.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am a non traditional rap audience member.
Speaker 1: So Drake's lawyer is arguing that the song was such a hit, and this was his example. He said, a thirteen year old girl might be dancing to the song at a bar mitzvah. That girl doesn't know not to take what she's hearing seriously and understands the history and the legacy and the context of rap battles. That is the argument. Okay there. It's fascinating the judge was even getting into this legal standard of what is an average listener.
Speaker 2: Like how we went to a bar mitzvah about mitzvah.
Speaker 3: That's funny they were arguing in New York those are also non.
Speaker 2: Traditional rap audience members, I'm guessing, is what they're trying to say, trying.
Speaker 1: To imply with the age and as the all right, the judge is not making an immediate ruling. Drake, however, is not suing Kendrick. Kendrick Lamar is not named specifically in the lawsuit. Neither of them attended yesterday's hearing. But the battle is not.
Speaker 3: Over now a legal one. Indeed.
Speaker 2: All right, for the final leg of our run, we are heading across the pond.
Speaker 3: Ah, wouldn't that be nice?
Speaker 2: A new record has been set for the fastest serve in the history of Wimbledon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this happened yesterday in a first round match. Yesterday was Day one of Wimbledon. But this was a match between American Taylor Fritz and Giovanni and Peschi perry Card of France. Now, in the first set, it was Frenchy who ripped a serve one hundred and fifty three miles per hour. That is the fastest serve ever recorded at Wimbledon. But get this, and Pesci per Card also hit a one hundred and fifty one miler in the same match.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Both of those bested the previous record of one hundred and forty eight miles per hour, which had stood since twenty ten. And by the way, Impeshi Paracard is six foot eight.
Speaker 1: There's a reason he's able to do this. Oh, my six goodness. But here is the highlight for me. You would think he just crushed one the hardest ball ever hit at Wimbledon. You would think, surely that was an ace. No, the American he was playing, Fritz, actually returned that serve and eventually won the point.
Speaker 3: That's insane.
Speaker 2: What's your arm field like after returning a ball that's going one hundred and fifty three miles per hour.
Speaker 3: I was also.
Speaker 2: Thinking, if you don't get out of the way of the ball, that's gonna leave us car hurt. That is going to leave a mark. But wow, that I think both of those Uh are very impressive. Yes, are incredibly impressive.
Speaker 1: And I should mention Pericard. He's not ranked number thirty six in the world, so he's obviously really good. But he's ranked the number one server.
Speaker 3: Wow, in the world, because he's got that strength.
Speaker 1: He's six eight. It's hard at that angle.
Speaker 2: He's he might not be as adept a running across the court back and forth, but man, he can serve a serve.
Speaker 3: That's for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we would like to leave you with something to think about on this Tuesday. This is our quote of the day.
Speaker 1: Those who seek a better life must first become a better person. Well, if you pull this one on an author.
Speaker 2: This is a entrepreneur and motivational speaker, Jim Rohan. But I just thought this was so cool because we're always looking for more, for better. A lot of times we think about material things, homes, cars, maybe even a better partner, all of the above, But how often do we actually turn it around, look in the mirror and say, why don't I start with myself and from there everything gets better? Right if you focus on becoming a better person, all boats rise.
Speaker 3: I just it's such a good way to look about it.
Speaker 2: If you're feeling like you're wanting more, start looking inward and being more and being better.
Speaker 3: I just thought it was such an empowering quote.
Speaker 1: So folks, take that with you as you go about your day today. Those who seek a better life must first become a better person. And with that, I always appreciate your running with us.
Speaker 3: So I'm TJ Hoult and I'm Amy Robock.
Speaker 2: Have a great twesday, everybody, and make sure to check out our feed, check your phones, because we are waiting on that Diddy Verdict