Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to the podcast. It could happen here. It's me James and Scharene today. Hi Serene, Hi James, Hi Sarene. Yeah, it's it's lovely to have you. Thanks for introducing yourself. I'm a little confused, but he was talking to you.
Speaker 2: I've done podcasts for a long time and I never actually know how to introduce myself. But I'm really happy to be doing this episode with you because you're a very good episode partner.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sreen. I am also happy to be doing this episode with you. I think you're an excellent episode partner.
Speaker 2: What are we talking about that just because I said it?
Speaker 1: No, I like him. It's good. It's good. We help people learn things.
Speaker 2: Well, today you're going to learn some more things about Palestine. It's been a minute since we had an update, and I mean, surprise, surprise, things aren't good. So we're going to talk about some recent stuff that's been happening. There's we mentioned some stuff that we've mentioned before in other episodes, like the Nekaba or just the ethnic cleansing that happened in nineteen forty eight. Also some politics stuff. So if you are interested in getting more detail and you haven't listened to those. I would recommend listening to those, just for more context if you desire.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, I think you're diving in probably at the deep end if you start here. But we're going to dive in at the deep end. So earlier this month, Omar Katten twenty seven, a father of two children who worked as an electrician for the local municipality, was killed when about four hundred Israeli settlers marched down Thaumasaya's main road, selling cars, homes, crops and trees ablaze as they went. It's not clear if you're shot by IDF troops or settlers of both stormed the village carrying weapons. Under international law, Israeli settlement to illegal, however, it's really Prime Minister of Benjamin Netan Yahoo announced plans to build a thousand new housing units in the settlement of Eli in response to the deadly shooting of Forestraelis by two Estinian government on Tuesday, the twentieth of June. The suspected assailants were later killed. One of them was quote unquote neutralized by civilian the other by the IDEF. But it appears the plan is to punish the whole nation again. Our antswer to terror is to strike it hard and to build our country. Net Yeah, who said his right wing government is dominated by settler leaders and supporters. But his statements came just days after the government gave far right finance minister there's a little smotorridge sweeping powers to exploit the construction of legal settlements by passing messes that have been in place for almost twenty seven years. The violence in thaumas ayah Am I saying that, right.
Speaker 2: I just looked it up. Yeah, totmos Aya is it's a town in the West Bank for context people that don't know, so, yeah, it's it's in the Ramola and LBI the governor in the West Bank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to get a little bit more into it of why this is all happening. We just wanted to kind of pain the paint the picture for you first of all of the bigger events that have happened. I guess. So this violence against the people of this town and the shooting of for Israelis followed an incursion by the IDF and Israeli border forces into the Genine refugee camp. It was an operational scale not seen for decades. So did you tear gas, stun grenades, and an attack helicopter. Seven Palestinians were killed, nearly one hundred were wounded.
Speaker 2: And I feel like this is not the first time. If you've been following any Palestinian news that you've heard of Janine the refugee camp, or that it's being attacked, it might sound familiar. I'll get into it more later, but Sharen abu Ocle was actually killed while reporting there. So I want to get into just why exactly Israel keeps raiding the Janine refugee camp in particular, and I want to talk about the camp's history, why it's getting targeted, and why the latest raid was different than the ones before it. Janine is slowly becoming a symbol of Palestinian resistance. It was originally established in nineteen fifty three to house Palestinians who were ethnically cleansed during the Nekaba of nineteen forty eight, which forced some seven hundred and fifty thousand people from their homes in order to make way for the establishment of Israel. And again we've talked about this in other episodes. You want to revisit those, but essentially, he was just a very perfect example of ethnic cleansing and massacres in genocide and displacement. So the camp has seen much unrest over the decades, and it was nearly destroyed in two thousand and two when Israeli soldiers ambushed it during the Second Antifada. According to a Human Rights Watch investigation, at least fifty two Palestinians, including women and children, were killed during this period of time. In two thousand and two, during the Second anthli Fada, there were also at least twenty three Israeli soldiers killed and several others injured that were reported. And since then, Janine has recently seen intensifying attacks by Israeli forces, especially since twenty twenty one, and it has slowly, along with Gaza, become a major symbol of Palestinian resistance. At this point, Palestinians are really fed up with the enaction of the Palestinian Authority the PA, which is the government entity meant to oversee and quote unquote protect the Palestinians within its governance. The Palestine Authority was formed in nineteen ninety four following the Gaza Jericho Agreement between the PLO and the Government of Israel, and it was only intended to be a five year interim body. Further negotiations were then meant to take place between the two parties regarding its final status. According to the Oslo Accords, the Palestinian Authority was designated to have exclusive control over both security related and civilian issues in the Palestinian urban areas, which are referred to as Area A, and only Palestinian control over Palestinian rural areas, which is called Area B. The remainder of the territories, including Israeli settlement, the Jordan Valley region and bypass roads between Palestinian communities, were remain under Israeli control aka Area C. East Jerusalem was excluded from the accords. Negotiations with several Israeli governments had resulted in the Authority gaining further control in some areas, but that control was then lost in some areas when Israel retook several strategic positions during the Second Antifaba. At this point, the Palestine Authority is an authoritarian regime that has not held elections in over fifteen years, and it doesn't really stand in the way of the Israeli government and the crimes they commit. So what concerns Israel Is that in Janine and elsewhere, young Palestinians are increasingly taking up arms because they see no other way out of the pressure of occupation and they're very disillusioned with the ineffectiveness of the Palestinian authority.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a really important way too, Like when we talk about like especially Palestinian people taking up arms, right or expecting these new groups which come in the last couple of years, Right, there's that Lions Day group. I think they're more from nables. Janine Brigades is another one. It's in the context of like government failure or state failure in I guess when we look at like the formation of states, right, when there's it's called social contracts the area, right, the idea that when we go and consent, which we don't do, but we don't ever, like we don't have a chance to consent to being in a state, right, like very obviously if you're from Palestine, you're aware of this, Like we were supposed to give up some of our freedom and get some security. But the Palestinian authority has repeatedly failed to protect people in Geneine, right, and in lots of other places too, and so like this response, like this response is taking up aren't is in the context of state failure, right, Like people are trying to protect their own communities when there's been a complete failure by the people who are supposed to protect them, the people who is and that's both the PA and then like the broader the international community is kind of a pointless phrase. It doesn't really mean anything. But like international law is also a pointless phrase. It doesn't really mean anything, which I'm getting too far afield here, but like the amount of times people in my replies on Twitter will be like this is against international law, and like are you going to go and fucking enforce it? Then?
Speaker 2: Like guess if that matter is at that point?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like good, it doesn't matter, like what we know it's bad. I don't like, that's not what's up for debate? What's for debates? What the fuck are you going to do about it? How are you going to stop it? And like these people have decided that the way they're going to stop it is by taking up arms, and like evidently Israel sees them as terrorists. Evidently there are some groups inside Palestine who have killed civilians and done ship which is is, you know, like, it's not very nice. Also, the idea of killed civilians all the time, right, one of them is funded and armed by your taxes, and so like, yeah, it's an understandable response. And the response of the IDF is to sort of paint the whole of Janine as harboring quote unquoite terrorists, right, which which is, and then to do these attacks which often cause civilian casualties, which is not that distinct from suggesting that Israel is a terrorist state, right, and then attacking Israel, which like, but one of these things is more broadly condemned is terrorism, and one is not as broadly condemned as terrorism. When then they're not, to my eye, that morally different. I guess, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I also think, no, it makes a lot of sense. I think remembering the imbalance that it starts at is so important because Palestine has no army, it's not backed by any rich ass nation, it's not trained by anything, and it's an extremely unbalanced quote unquote battle.
Speaker 1: No one's deploying an Apache helicopter when when the idea of killers journalist.
Speaker 2: Right, like exactly, and yeah, like Sharenabut Ockley was a US citizen. Not that it matters, but it should matter just in the idea of what the US can do or like the outrage it can have, but it doesn't do anything.
Speaker 1: As a journalist who goes to dangerous places and is a US citizen. Now, like it's fucking infuriating and obviously like and particularly thing that like, you know, like daddy government is coming to save me. I'm not like you know, if you if you're laboring under that illusion, you're probably a little bit naive. But it is just incredibly frustrating to see the value of some quote unquote American lives, like it's it's it's always wrong to shoot journalists, of course, but like it's just in the US basically condoning that. Yes, again, this isn't the first fucking like Arab journalist that the US who is a US citizen who has been killed by an authoritarian regime that the US had done fuck all about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think it's just a slap in the face for her family and just the entire community of like both Arabs and journalists and that crossover there. But I did want to mention just the terrorism acts on both sides are obviously terrible. I always think you have to remember where they started and the imbalance that is there, especially if the entity that is supposed to protect the Palestinians isn't doing shit and the only way Palestinians can fight back or defend themselves is with violence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just frustrating when people point out the violence on just the Palestinian side, and we'll get into the news version of what that means and then biases of what that means it a little bit, but yeah, I just that's just explaining exactly why these groups have risen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just to be an absolute fuckingd weep for a second. The introduction to Wretched of the Earth that Johann Paul Starts wrote, it's a France fann On book, is fantastic when talking about violence and violence in the dicolonial process, and like how it's very nice that these colonial states, apartheid states like Israel speak in the language of rights. Yeah, and they encourage to colonize people to make their claims in the language of rights. But every time they fucking do, they get met with violence, right, And it is entirely understandable that when the state speaks you only in violence, you will reply using the same language that is spoken to you with right, Like that, that is how decolonial struggles have been, right from Algeria to Vietnam to Palestine. And like this isn't a particularly like under theorized concept. It's there and fanol in the nineteen sixties. That's always something I like to suggest people read. I think it's a very good kind of distillation of what's occurring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I like that you mentioned that because it does seem like that this is like a Palestinian problem that they have, that they are violent and that they hate the other side, and it is just another good example of the effects of colonialism and like that's the occupied people and their only choice of like retaliation. Anyway, I don't want to get into that too much, but I do want to emphasize why exactly that they were disillusioned, the Palestinian youth, especially during this time, because the IDEF has been extremely violent and the PA still is really inactive and doesn't do anything. So that's kind of the reason why there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we have a little more in Shrina Buaclavionna.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we have an episode about her, I believe, and I'm going to mention her a little bit here. The Genin refugee camp houses armed fighters and they are from several factions, but this means Israeli's They consider it a hub for what they call terrorist activity rather than resistance, so the entire camp is then dubbed a terrorist site. But most of the people that the IDEF has killed are not engaging in any sort of violent activity, and in some cases they are clearly marked as press wearing a bulletproof vest and a helmet, like El Jazeera journalist Sharinabu Akle, for one, she was shot dead by an Israeli sniper in May twenty twenty two, and in her case, the IDF said they were aiming at armed Palestinians who were shooting at them and responding with fire, and after I don't know a lot of inconclusive proof in the IDF sticking to that story. A ballistics analysis proved that that's story wasn't true and there was no fire coming from the other side, But regardless, no one cares about that. And this happened all in Janine, So I think it's very clear why this camp has become a symbol of resistance simply because the atrocities that have happened there are tremendous and they keep fighting back. And I think it's an example of how exactly a Palestinian symbol comes to be, like gaza, like this, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: I wanted to include a coat from the Israeli military spokesman Ran Kochov, and he told Army Radio, which I guess is not exactly a kind of neutral arbititter here, that she was filming and working for a media outlet amidst arm Palestinians. They were armed with cameras if you will permit me to say so, which like no, like we should not really not fucking permit someone because like you know, I'll go to all kinds of dangerous spots with a camera. Like I've never fucking shot someone with a camera, because it's a fucking camera, right, Like it doesn't, it doesn't, that's not what cameras do. They take videos.
Speaker 2: That is the most Like I can't believe that's an actual quote that's someone said and got away with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the fuck is wrong? Like what And it's just incorrect operation of the human brain to use the fucking phrase arm with camera, Like, what is wrong with you? It's I know, people get really people got really mad briefly when Russians were shooting journalists in Ukraine in the start of the conflict, and like I guess they were kind of as a mask off about it, but like, yeah, it's a fucking camera. If if your security is threatened by someone filming the ship that you do, it's because you shouldn't be doing it, and you know you shouldn't be doing it right, like and again, like I've experienced that, like people people, you know, doing stuff they don't want to be filmed and getting mad that I'm filming it. But like maybe if you're not prepared to defend what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing it. You don't, you know, you don't suggest that the camera is the camera? Is it's a neutral object here, it's it's not the camera and shot a woman in the head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that sentence is infuriating the fact that literally it says they were amidst armed Palestinians and then you could you could stop there and people can just like click out and read and like move on their day thinking that they had fucking guns. And the next sentence is literally they're armed with cameras, Like are you I don't know. That's just so infuriating to me that that's like a real thing that was said and accepted.
Speaker 1: It seems to be like almost deliberately insulting or I don't know, like it's definitely an attack on Like I don't know. If you're a journalist and you don't see that of an attack on all of us, then you know, made me examine your biases, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the ballistics analysis that I mentioned earlier where she was it showed that where she was shot there were several targeted shots, one of which hit her head because there were shots in the tree that was behind her, so she was clearly targeted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she was shot by a sniper at the back of one of their APC's right, they have a little little like murder hole, and she was shot from two hundred meters to which is not very far with a magnified signe and like, yeah, you don't just it wouldn't look like that, I guess, Like three little holes behind where her head was suggest that someone fired like a single shots targeted, not just like spraying it sprain bullets around. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about it too much because there it is, that's on the topic of this episode. But I do want to just say that I think it's so ironic that the idea is supposed to be this most advanced military body, this highly trained thing, and then at the same breath their defenses sometimes they made a mistake. Oops, you know what I mean, Like they made this grave mistake. They thought she was carrying a gun or she was around people with guns. I just think that's a very silly I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm being shure. It's true, I suppose, and you can. You can make mistakes. But if you make mistakes, you own them. You could still be like, oh, yeah, we we one hundred percent fucked up, and like we need to examine how we fucked up.
Speaker 2: You know, that's just their defense. So many times it gets really fucking old. But Okay, before we continue and talk about the recent attack in Janine, let's take our first break and we'll be right back. And we're back. Let's go back to talk about the latest raid on the Janine refugee camp. The Israeli Army launched its latest raid on the Janine refugee camp in the early hours of Monday, June nineteenth. Five people, including a fifteen year old, were dead by the time it withdrew its forces in the afternoon. Others died the following day because of their injuries. Several journalists were shot at and they were surrounded and one was injured. This raid ironically took place near the location where Shari Abulakhlei was killed. Several ambulances were also fired upon with live ammunition, and at first they were denied access to the injured, which is nothing new to the IDF. They do this consistently with the block a medical aid to reach the people that are injured. The Israeli armies said the raid was to arrest two suspects, one of whom was a former Palestinian prisoner, as Sem Abu ad Haija, who was the son of an imprisoned Hamas leader. I just want a quick reminder of refresh. I know I say this in most of the episodes about Palestine, especially the ones I've done in the beginning of this year, but in twenty twenty two, Israeli forces killed more than one hundred and seventy Palestinians, including at least thirty children in occupied East Jerusalem and in the West Bank, and this is described as the deadliest year for Palestinians and those living in those areas since two thousand and six. Since the start of twenty twenty three, Israeli forces have killed at least one hundred and sixty Palestinians, including twenty six children, and it's June. The death toll includes thirty six Palestinians killed by the Israeli army during a four day assault on the besieged Gaza strip between May ninth and May thirteenth of this year. I just want to put that into context because if twenty twenty two was the deadliest year for Palestinians in the last twenty years and we're essentially already there by six months into this new year, it's just it's really disturbing and it's really heartbreaking that it's truly there's no slowing down. And this raid is a great example of them just like upping the ante. And what was different about this raid. Israeli offenses into Janine are nothing new, but it appeared that the raiding soldiers were caught off guard this time. Shortly after the raid began, videos showed an Israeli military panther APC being hit with a roadside improvised explosive device, and there is a video of this. I haven't seen it because I just personally don't want to, but asadare if you choose to see it. Military helicopters then began shooting and launching rockets and flares while surveillance aircraft hovered above. It was the first time in twenty years that Israel deployed helicopter gunships in the West Bank. By the end of the raid, reports suggested that at least five Israeli military vehicles had been damaged by explosive devices and bullets deployed by armed Palestinians. This was the first time the IDF was met with this understandable degree of resistance and defense in Nganine, and their response was overwhelming in return.
Speaker 1: Hi everyone, it's James and Train again and we're here today for a little update. It's the third of July as we're recording this. Just because there's been a significantly larger IDF incursion into a Genine refugee camp, and because we know this is coming out at the end of the week, we wanted to make sure you had a little bit more update to date information, so as best I can kind of beez it together. What happened is that some mis military vehicles were hit with an ied A bomb right roadside bomb and provides explosive device, and Israel responded by going fully ham on a scale that we haven't really seen since the second in Defider. So there's air attacks, droned helicopters, armored vehicles. I saw them using like an anti tank missile against a house. Saw videos of armored bulldozers tearing up roads in the camp, and preps sreen you could kind of give a scale of what this has done, not just to roads obviously, but to the people who live there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like James was saying, they're continuing to attack with drones and rockets, and the Janine refugee camp is very densely populated. It has about twenty thousand people, and they are targeting infrastructure like homes and roads and the mirror of Janine. Nidhal Obaidi, he said the attack was a real massacre and an attempt to wipe out all aspects of life inside the city and the camp. Those being targeted now are not just the resistance fighters, but civilians are being killed and wounded as well, and water and electricity services have also been cut off from the camp since the attack has started, and the Palestine Recrescent said that at least three thousand people were evacuated from the camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then as far as we like at time of recording, which is Monday afternoon, eight people have been killed. One more person was called in Romala. The two youngest victims were identified as Nordin Hassam Yusuf Marshud who is fifteen, and seventeen year old Majdi Johannis Saud Ararawi. So both of them under eighteen, but the oldest person was twenty three, so these are all very young people. Salia dead now, and then they estimate that Palestinia request estimates at three thousand people have left the camp, which I think paints a picture of like emptying or cleaning or whatever colonial sort of word you want to use to make it seem less brutal than it is, but like emptying the space of human being so that it can be colonized or that other folks can move there.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, Yeah. In addition to some places are saying eight have died some people some places are saying nine, but regardless, there are over one hundred people that are injured. And so I don't know, the fact that the oldest person was only twenty three years old should really paint the picture of like who exactly is being targeted and killed, because there's no way their defense of targeting terrorists can play here, even though it probably does in the long run. But I just I think it's really fucked up and unfair. The White House meanwhile, so the United States quote supports israel security and right to defend its people against Hamas, Palestinian is Jihad and other terrorist groups, and they also highlighted the need to product noncombatants, which hasn't happened, and none of those people are actually being targeted or there's nothing to defend at this point, I really don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's also weird that I don't know, Like it just seems such a knee jerk response. So maybe this is just me being being a dweeb or whatever. But like, at least one of the IDs was was like claimed by Janine Brigades, I think the one earlier last week to call out groups by name like and then not call out the group who are claiming responsibility for at least one of these attacks. It just seems so like okay, like press play on the tape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're also naming things that people are probably more familiar with, like almost to like justify or like entice fear of being like, oh my god, yeah Hamas attack Hamas or whatever they think will happen with that response.
Speaker 1: Ian.
Speaker 2: The international response, Yeah, the international response has also been dog shit surprise, surprise. It's because this will always just talk and nothing really happens. Turkey's Foreign Ministry voice is deep concern over the attack. They warned that it can trigger a new spiral of violence it already has, and they called the Israeli encourasion a heinous crime. Cut Her stress that the need for international community to move urgently to protect the Palestinian people was very necessary. And then Jordan condemned the escalation as a violation of international humanitarian law, which Israel has been breaking for years, so nothing has happened. And then Egypt, on the other hand, it warned of serious repercussions and it called on other international people to intervene. And then the UN said the situation is very dangerous like all these things I think have already been said every time. That's why I just think it's so empty. And I don't know, I nothing if it's just words and no actions, Like, how are we supposed to even take anything seriously? I guess I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the it's the thoughts and prayers of the h executive national like the UN is always deeply concerned, but it never does fuck all right, So yeah, I guess to wrap up, we should talk about like what this means for Janine as a place or like as a community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we mentioned this in our previous recording last week. But Israel's attacks on Janine are part of an effort to crush resistance with the young Palestinians that are increasingly taking up arms because their disillusioned with the PA, and according to analysts, Israel's hard right government is likely to continue with heavy handed approach toward Palestinians in the West Bank. Palestinian lawyer and analyst Deanna Buttou said Israel wants to do whatever it can to crush Janine in any other form of resistance. Israel has made it clear that there are three options available for Palestinians. Option one is to leave. Option two is to remain as residents, but not as citizens of any state. And option three is if you resist, we are going to crush you. This is what they are implementing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's well said.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hassan Ayub, who is a Palestinian political science professor at n Naja National University in Nablus, he agreed with the lawyer's statement, and he said the end game is to make Palestinians give up any hope of achieving self determination or being recognized as a people. Janine has a long history of resistance. It is a model for the masses that Israel wants to eliminate. But for Palestinians, the question is a matter of principle, and their endgame is to end this occupation. And essentially Israel intends to crush what I you refer to as quote the Janine phenomenon or any form of Palestinian resistance. Yeah, the Israeli aggression. Fears of an escalation that continues to happen in areas such as the Gaza Strip because that's another symbolic place of resistance for Palestinians. And yeah, that's where we are now.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much it will I reach out to some people I know, but people generally don't like to be on their phones when this stuff is happening. So maybe we'll update you with some more information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully. I mean updates like this are always kind of like unfortunate because I don't think we want to update that more shitty things are happening, but especially with stuff like this, it doesn't seem like Israel is going to back down anytime soon. So yeah, that's that's the update.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so I wanted to talk about some of the people who were killed. One of the people who was killed was I'm dadf al Jas. He was forty eight done age twenty two. Was killed in the Guinane masacre that occurred in January this year. So it kind of gives you a sense of like the risk that I guess one incurs unwillingly by existing in what is a fucking refugee camp. His son wasn't the only young person killed. Another person who's killed was a Sadil Naja Nachia. She was fifteen, and a few days later her classmates attended her funeral, all in their school uniforms. It's pretty sad. There are obviously images of it if you want to go like the up but you can see lots of little school girls burying their friend in a town which is covered in burned detritus. No one should have to bury their kids. It's a horrible kid shouldn't have to deal with this shit. But there are plenty of pictures of little school girls standing by her grave. It's a it's awful, so horrible. Yeah. The other victims were identified as Ahmed Soaker, Ahmed Da Rachma, Colored Darwish Kassam Pais Labusilia. They were fifteen, nineteen, twenty one, nineteen and twenty nine respectively. They after this occurred, the aforementioned attack on settlers in Eli took place. Two gunman shown to a gas station or restaurant. One was killed on the scene and one was killed later. It was a response to the master of attack on Tumasaiah that occurred a few days before. And I want to highlight how the NYT covered this because I think it's important to like dissect how Palestine is covered by the US right because obviously the US is one of the biggest state supporters of Israel, and specifically one of the people who continues to equip the IDF to do this stuff. Right, So I'm quoting here directly. Last week, two Palestinians called for Israelis and injured four others near the Eli Settlement, escalating monthlung violence between Palestinians and Israelis in the West Bank. The next day, some four hundred settlers descended on several Palestinian villages, including Tulmasayah, a prosperous town near Ramala, where reportedly they torched cars and homes. That I want to I want to stop right there, because it is not reportedly right, Like we do not have to qualify this with like maybe or like we've just seen this on Twitter dot com. Like you could probably see this shit on Google Maps, right, Like they torched a town. There's massive damage done. Even the New York Times itself didn't qualify it as a reported incident in its own reporting. And this isn't we don't hear the same thing with the two Palestinian gunmen, right, Just to read the first opening sentence again, last week, two Palestinian carriers killed for Israelis. It's just stated as a fact, right, And these just within those couple of sentences. You can see so much of the bias in the way this is reported, so much of the different perspectives through which state violence. I would encourage people not to use terrorism. I would encourage them to see things, especially in this context, in terms of political violence. Right, there is political violence done by both sides. One of those sides is a state actor, the other side is a non state actor. But qualifying one and making it distinct from the other, I think is shoddy journalism, and I don't think it really helps us understand this situation. So what happened, right, Like, fifteen homes were burned, sixty vehicles were burned, and the writer's sort of quote unquote sort of saying this is reportedly. It's not true. It's a thing that really happened. Another kind of phrasing that I've found really objectionable in this instance is clashes, right, Like often you'll see clashes engine uh, and like that casts a lens of parity, or like it looks at these things through a lens of parity, which I don't think is real on the ground. Like, it's not a clash when a helicopter is firing rockets, even if it is firing rockets at people with kalashnikovs, right like that it's not a clash. There's not really a parity there, right like, And it's it also kind of downplays a violence of what's happening, right, it's an attack, it's an assault. I think the constant use of clashes, right it's nearly always. You don't really see it used anywhere else, or if you do, it's for it's for much less severe violence, like like clashes between an arrival football fans, not that that can't be very violent, care, but you don't really see this word used to characterize like state violence on this scale anywhere else. And so I would really encourage people when they're reading, especially coverage of this, right, which is an issue that the US cannot get its head out of it to us about uh, to look for this bias language. And if you're reading coverage or anything else, right, if you're reading coverage something and you start to notice that, like I would perhaps question where you're getting your coverage from. And I know you had some shit to say about the New York Times sharing.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I one really liked what you said about referring to it as state violence versus terrorism, because I think it's a huge point that I also want to adopt, because I didn't even really transfer that over until just now when you said it, and I think it's a really important distinction. So thank you for that. But yeah, the New York Times, as well as many, if not most news organizations, they're incredibly biased when it comes to Palestine is real reporting, and The New York Times in particular has been absolute dog shit and their coverage of Palestine for quite a while now. There has been a persistent pattern of bias when it comes to Israel and Palestine. I'm going to go in chronological order, and then James will jump back in with the recent article about the New York Times and this terrible thing that it has within it that I'm not going to give away right now. But let's go back in time to February twenty eleven, when The New York Times published a piece on JVP activism in the Bay Area. JVP stands for Jewish Voices for Peace, and this article said, the activists say they are not working against Israel, but against the Israeli government policies they believe are a discriminatory which is yes, correct, But in the editor's note. The Times later wrote that one of the articles two authors was a pro Palestinian advocate and that he should not have written the article and should not have been allowed to write it. So it initially seems like good reporting because it's true you're protesting against the Israeli government. But then to say that a Palestinian advocate can't write it is ridiculous, So fuck you New York Times. And then in twenty fifteen, a study was done analyzing the New York Times publications during the period of September tenth and October fourteenth and twenty fifteen. At the time of the study in twenty fifteen, two thousand Palestinians had been injured while eighty three Israelis were injured, just for context of what the reporting was about, and the study analyzed thirty six articles. In these articles, the New York Times talked about Palestinian quote unquote violence thirty six times and Israeli violence two times. The word attack was used to describe Palestinian actions one hundred and ten times, in Israeli actions seventeen times. They used the word terrorist forty two times to refer to Palestinian violence, and one time one time to refer to Israeli violence. More than half of the New York Times headlines during that whole year depicted Palestinians as the instigators of violence. Zero headlines depicted the Israelis as aggressors. None and nothing has changed. I know that's from a period in twenty fifteen, but that's basically consistent, if not more so prevalent. Now. It just seems like the New York Times editorial board refuses to incorporate Palestine perspective into its editorials, even though there have been many calls to do so, and this leads it to fundamentally misread the reality on the ground in Palestine. And it clearly shows the newspaper's bias when it comes to what it chooses to include about Palestine and from whom. Of the two thy four hundred and ninety opinion pieces about Palestinians, but the New York Times published between nineteen seventy in twenty nineteen, only forty six written by actual Palestinians, which is an average of less than two percent. With the lack of Palestinian and Arab columnists that are even employed by New York Times, a kind of group think has inevitably emerged there, and this group think consistently places Israel, Israeli framings and Israeli perspectives above those of Palestinians. A keyword search of the Times editorials that discuss Palestinians is like this. Between nineteen seventy and twenty nineteen, the word peace appeared one thousand and one hundred and twelve times, but justice only appeared eighty six times. Terror was mentioned six hundred and forty nine times, but occupation was only mentioned two hundred and nineteen times, two hundred and nineteen times. I want to also remind you this is from starting from nineteen seventy. Israel's security quote unquote was written ninety times, but Palestinian freedom was mentioned just three times. While keyboard searches alone do not tell the whole story, they do help us get a sense of the overall tenor of the Times coverage, and over the last five decades, Israel has been unquestioningly presented by Times editors as a close ally, while the Palestinians have been consistently framed as a problem.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about this. That was an excellent piece that came out in Study Hole. I believe it's based on some reporting in a Canadian outlet called Passage and Study. Hall is a freelance journalists like group Localists serve, but they also do some editorial work. But it's talking about this this Israeli nonprofit or it's really funded nonprofits based in the US and also in Israel called Honest Reporting. What it is is a five oh one c. Three And essentially what they've done is is what Sharen describes right where they've they've found not I believe mostly Palestinian reporters, perhaps also non Palestinian reporters who are reporting from this. I guess from what I would described as the facts based approach to this, which is describing what's happening as an apartheid And they've dived into these people's background, their previous tweets, their previous writing, their other work to describe them as by and get their articles taken down. And they've done this to some very like this has happened at the Times, and this is at a time like I know Sharin mentioned something that happened in twenty eleven, but I know that in twenty ten, the Jerusalem bureau chief of the Times had a child serving in the idf Right. So like, you know, if if I had a you know, if I was a journalist and I said, yeah, you know, I actually have a son who's in the Alexa Martis Brigade, like then they're not going to not going to commission my piece. But they've for instance, Hosam Salem. Have you seen Sam's work?
Speaker 2: I don't know. My brain doesn't create.
Speaker 1: I've worked with a sum before. It's a friend of mine. He's an incredibly gifted photojournalists. People should follow him on the places where they see photographs. He's blacklisted by the Times based on an honest reporting probe into his quote unquote bias, which his photos of Gaza are some of the most emotive photographs of Gaza like I've ever seen. And I work with him on a piece that will one day become a podcast about Parkour in the Gaza Strip. But also, yeah, Hosam is a fantastic photojournalist and absolutely like it is. It's utterly ridiculous to have like have him blacklisted by a major news organization, which, like, whether we like it or not, that is where a lot of Americans get their news. In one instance, this organization managed to get the Toronto start to scrub all uses of Palestine from their stories, like to include shit like yeah like that, like they were profiling a DJ who was Palestinian. Wow, like which I think is like incredibly illustrative, right that, Like this is organization presents itself as fighting anti Israeli bias, which I'm sure that is a thing that exists. It fucking does not exist in the US media. Like I'm I'm not a Palestinian person, by speak as a person who has pitched articles about conflict in various parts of the world, and they can tell you that that is not a bias that I have come across, having worked with almost every big outlet that it is possible to work for in the US. It's not doing that. It's trying to raise Palestine and Palestinian people, not only their perspectives but their whole existence. Right, And this is something that I hap on a lot, But I think we should do more conflict reporting that's about people, unless it is about numbers and battles and such like. That's why I want to write about little girls who's surfing Gaza and young men who do parkour, because like when Israel bombs Gaza. It doesn't just bomb people who are part of fatal or harmas or whatever they want to say. They're targeting, right like the lions den or ginnymbryas whatever. When they're bombing these places, they're also bombing children. They're also bombing places where little kids want to go and play football. They're bombing towns where little boys want to I mean them, hospitals and schools and yeah, like the this is where people just like you live. It's not like there's a very clear desire to kind of erase Palestinian civilians, I guess from my narrative, and it's really important that we as journalist and as people don't allow that to happen. I guess you can. We'll link to this in our sources at the end of the month. But I think it's an excellent piece. It's worth reading.
Speaker 2: Thank you parentialing that before we continue with some really excellent new things. Let's take our second break and we'll be right back, yes.
Speaker 1: Way back, And I want to talk a little bit more about like the I guess these really political context behind the increasing aggression towards Janina and Palestini general. So of the one hundred and sixty five Palestinian deaths. About eighty six were in the North and West Bank, mostly in the areas of Janine and Nubbles, which cannot come incidentally, are the areas where we're seeing new armed groups emerging. Despite this, israelis ready to massively step up settlement in the West Bank. Earlier in June, Prime Minister Benjamin then and Yahoo ratified a policy allowing pro settler finance Minister There's Alliell Smotridge to bypass the six dage process for building settlements, effectively giving him the ability to make settlement decisions on his own. In recent years, Israeli politicians as settlers have become more and more open about their goals annexing most, if not all, of the West Bank. So March of this year, Smotridge claimed that Palestinian people were an invention of the last century. It's probably worth taking a moment to point out that all national identities are inherently constructed, Like humanity did not come to earth with flags. Those are things that came to exist in the nineteenth and twentieth century. It's like, so is Israel right, We can kind of put a date on that one.
Speaker 2: So that's just so, that's like literally projecting an invention of the last century is literally Israel whatever, Yes, the state of Israel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean nations calling other nations constructed. Is the kind of the pot calling the cow blackleg Yeah, but insomuch as if we're going to do that, I think is rarely throwing stones from a glasshouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like it doesn't really fucking matter either, right, Like it doesn't matter how long the one group of people has had one flag, you still shouldn't fucking kill children, which applies to anyone involved in the killing of children. So Matrich said that there was no such thing as a Palestinian because there is no such thing as a Palestinian people in a speech in Paris and a memorial for Jack Koppa an activity it's else right wing liqud party. Do you know who are the Palestine? He said, I'm a Palestinian, going on to describe his late grandfather, who he said was a thirteenth generation Jerusalem might as a true Palestinian, which is somewhat Look, these people are supposed to be contradictory, Like it's not really worth sucking pointing this out, But like you can't simultaneously say there are a Palestinians, Palestine doesn't exist. Also, I'm a Palestinian. Again not the point. I guess he was a resident. He is a resident one of the settlements himself. He's an advocate for theocratic law, the segregation of maternity warts. So he doesn't want Arab and Israeli women to give birth in the same ridiculous Yeah, it's his justification for it is like even worse, but I won't bother with that. He's also openly homophobic, and he supports the conspiracy theory that Yitzak Rabine was killed by Israel security agencies. All around, top guy the Coud, Benjamin and Yahi party likes to use names for the West Bank that you might find in the Bible, and it's made accelerating a legal settlement there a priority. Since it took office that Yahoo coalition has approved seven thousand new housing units, many in the occupied West Bank. The government also amended law to clear the way for settlers to return to four settlements that have previously been evacuated. Within a week of having power to make these decisions, Motrich approved five thousand new units. This is a great time to draw attention to one of the most fucking infuriating paragraphs that have ever been written, which I found in a New York Times article that I can't believe this is real.
Speaker 2: James said it to me before this, and it is crazy.
Speaker 1: I like the century and stuff I know will make her angry. Of course, not all West Bank settlers are alter nationalists who believe that living in the land of the Bible is a religious edict. Most settlers, in fact, including hundreds of thousands of Oltra Orthodox use, move there seeking a portable housing. I am fucking like I cannot last it. When I got yeah, I checked out mentally. I catapoled myself into outer space. I don't want to be here anymore. That's ridiculous. I have decided to curl up into a ball and no longer exist. Like this is from the newspaper as well, that like Whent so fucking ham on people in twenty twenty, like taking milk from a target, you know, like like when you like seeking affordable dairy products. I guess could have been an alternative frameing of that that they didn't. They didn't go for it. It just fucking unbelievable, Like they like the ship that freakonomics has done to people's brains is it's really next level. But people more people listen to our podcasts in their podcast because we're winning in the marketplace of ideas and so all in seven hundred and fifty thousand people live in these settlements. But being a legal under international law doesn't really mean anything unless that law is enforced, and it really is. We spoke earlier before, right, just like the US, which frequently violates Domesican international law on its own border, Israel is simply not held to account for its crimes. United Nations Special Reporteur and Palestine Francisco Albernesi told Al Jazeera international law has a quote unquote problem of enforcement. There is a problem of double standards because clearly when it comes to Palestine, there is a cognitive disson especially among Western countries, and reticence in applying these coercive measures and all the prohibitions international law efforts are Benici.
Speaker 2: Said, yeah, we already mentioned how just even the phrase international laws just make believe like you always hear about Israel, even like committing crimes against humanity, None of that even seems to matter when it comes to Israel because there's never a repercussion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't matter anywhere that there is no direct interest to capital to enforcing that law. Right, it doesn't matter when young women in memm are get raped by soldiers. It doesn't matter when Villa Juice get burned down there, it doesn't matter. And to grie in Ethiopian Eritrea because there's no interest to finance capital of solving that problem. It's not just a a Palestine things. It's the thing all over the world. And laws are fundamentally backed up by violence. Right, Like in America, if you get a parking ticket and you don't pay your parking ticket and you have to go to court, and you don't go to court, eventually someone with a gun will come and kick down your door. And like all laws are based in violence. And there ain't no one kicking down Israel's door, right, and no one will. And so it doesn't matter. International law doesn't matter. It's nice and it's there. We can point to it and say, look, we've all agreed this is bad, but we all know it's bad. Like we don't really need a bunch of like old men suits to tell us it's bad. We knew it was bad. What we needed to fucking make it stop, and that's not happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's also interesting to mention that internationally, even when you get better quote unquote reporting about Palestine, it still is not enough because it's usually about peace and both sides or a conflict or whatever. So I just think, I mean that also goes back to news and how it's reported. But this stubborn insistence on blaming both sides is reflective of a deeply flawed quote unquote peace framework, and it has dominated the international understanding of the Israel Palestine quote unquote conflict for decades. The framework of peace centers on identity politics and ignores the structural violence that the state perpetuates against oppressed groups and instead focuses on acts of spectacular violence committed by those groups in response to the oppression they face. And it also blames them for escalating conflict and then uses it to justify the repressive violence by the more powerful forces. To go back to New York Times briefly, many of the Times editorials over the last thirty years since the advent of the Oslo Accords have been steeped in the peace framework. They treat Israelis and Palestinians as having equal power when they clearly don't. They praise Israel for minor adjustments to its daily structural violence against Palestinians, but in the same breath they scold Palestinian leaders and society for acts of violence done in turn. And the word conflict is also problematic in and of itself, because Palestine isn't some conflict or problem for Israel to sort out. It's a cause for everyone to fight for. Since nineteen forty eight, the Israeli state has prevented Palestinians from living in their homeland with freedom and dignity, whether it's by banning refugees from returning to their homes, or discriminating against Palestinian citizens inside Israel, or keeping millions of Palestinians under military occupation. If there is a problem to be solved, that problem is the regime itself. But this fact of bias and shitty reporting and the fact that the truth is not out there, that fact seems to have eluded the Times editorial board because rather than recognize the systemic violence, discrimination, and colonization perpetuated by Israel against Palestinians, the board blames quote unquote both sides for a vastly asymmetric situation. This both sides ism may give the appearance of balance, but it does not reflect the reality in which Israel holds almost total political, economic, and military power over the lives of every Palestinian in a system that growing numbers of scholars, human rights groups, and legal experts are defining as apartheid. But I do hope some of this was at least helpful, and I mean will probably be back to do the same kind of thing soon because Israel is relentless and stupid and I hate it. So until then, fuck the IDF and have a nice day.
Speaker 1: It could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It could Happen here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.