Speaker 1: Second date of date, Alexis, how many times has Brooke offered to set you up on a date with a guy she knows and you've said.
Speaker 2: No? Thanks?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What do you not trust Brooke to have any cool, young honky male friends for you?
Speaker 3: I think we have different definitions a cool young honkey Yeah yeah?
Speaker 1: Or are you worried that you're going to show up and it's going to be a playdate with her son?
Speaker 5: That might be better than who you guys are almost the same age couple.
Speaker 1: One day, well, one of our listeners, Lily, was fighting the same way Alexis was. Her friend wanted to set her up on a date, and Lily kept on saying no, Lily, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Hey, I'm good. It's good to be here.
Speaker 5: I mean, I take it your friend wasn't good help because you're calling us instead.
Speaker 3: Actually that's the thing. My friend ended up being great help.
Speaker 2: Oh oh that's not usual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, so she's been trying to set me up for a long time. I've been single for probably about a year now.
Speaker 5: Is she one that like sets you up with anyone she knows? Or is it the same person she's been trying to hook you up with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the same person.
Speaker 1: Well that's weird too, because now it's like this guy can't get a date either, So that's.
Speaker 2: A that's smart.
Speaker 6: Well, hey, you're both red flags.
Speaker 4: Though very vibrant red ma green.
Speaker 2: So you eventually met up with him?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well I kept saying no, you know, because my whole idea was like, look, I can find a guy on my own, you know, like I don't want to ruin our friendship if things get weird, like the guy doesn't work.
Speaker 4: Did you blame her for it and that's why you No.
Speaker 3: I think she just might feel bad. I don't know. I just didn't want to like make things weird between us.
Speaker 6: Okay, there's a different level of pressure when it's do you know this guy's name?
Speaker 3: Yeah? His name was Matt Matt, Matt Matt.
Speaker 4: And did you get to like look at his socials?
Speaker 5: Like, did she give you any proof of what the goods were beforehand?
Speaker 3: No? She was just like take it from me, Trust me. This guy is a winner. Like, I think you would really hit it off.
Speaker 4: She must be persistent for you to finally cave.
Speaker 3: She was, because I didn't cave. She tricked me.
Speaker 4: Oh what do you mean.
Speaker 3: Yes, we had a big work event the other week to like celebrate the big work win. So we all went out to the club and after the club, somebody was like, Hey, let's bring the party back to my place. So we all ended up at a house party and he was there.
Speaker 4: And that was by design.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely. Okay, So what did you think when you saw Matt?
Speaker 3: So he's easy on the eyes, he's great, and we ended up just chatting casual style.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 1: You didn't do the formal chat with him, the casual.
Speaker 2: Chat, you didn't take a large bow. Yeah that's nice.
Speaker 5: But did he know that your friend had been trying to hook you too up? Because sometimes that's really awkward, but it's also could be something you bond over.
Speaker 3: He didn't say, oh.
Speaker 4: He didn't say, you don't know if he knew.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know. But at one point in our conversation he just drops that he doesn't know how to drive, and I.
Speaker 7: Was like, wait, what is like?
Speaker 1: Is it that he never tried to learn, or that he tried so many times and failed that he gave.
Speaker 4: Up less could get a license? I mean, can you actually failed that many times?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, he just never bothered to learn. It just wasn't a thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you live in a big city, you literally don't need you know, there's buses.
Speaker 3: Have some preds that just got their license real Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: That's because you're teen, or maybe he's from a wealthy family where he has a chauffeur and he doesn't need to learn.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was where my thought mine first time.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't matter. I mean, was that okay with you?
Speaker 3: Well, so of course it's getting late and I'm in a very good food so I'm like, hold up, I'm going to teach you how to drive right now. Come with me?
Speaker 4: What late night?
Speaker 5: After the club girl, after the club, after the house parts.
Speaker 3: Basically, we went to a nearby mall parking lot and I taught him how to drive.
Speaker 5: Fun because I just remember learning to drive as my dad in a lot of screaming and yelling at each other.
Speaker 3: I said, it's pretty stressful.
Speaker 2: And how many casualties were there that night?
Speaker 3: Thankfully none?
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a fun time. We just drove in circles and laughed a lot, and at the end he thanked me for teaching him, and there was a little kiss.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think my driving instructor the same way.
Speaker 2: A good call.
Speaker 6: They teach you don't kiss and drive.
Speaker 4: The others did in the back seat.
Speaker 3: Next so I drove him back to his place, kissed me good night, and that was it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. You have heard from.
Speaker 3: Him technically a little. I mean the next day we texted back and forth a little bit and it was just like a yeah, thanks, that was fun.
Speaker 7: Ha ha ha.
Speaker 4: They laughed a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was fun haha. By okay, he was more lighthearted than that.
Speaker 4: Have you checked with your friend who was setting you guys up? I'm sure she totally knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course I checked with her because I was like, oh my god, you were right. He's amazing and we had a great time kissed out. But no, she hasn't heard from him either. She is just as frustrated about this as I am, because for once, her matchmaking skills seem to have worked. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, maybe because you taught him to drive. He's like, I'm finally gonna be able to go on a road Yeah, in another country, right.
Speaker 1: Now, get dozens of dates left and right. Well, we're gonna find out. We're gonna call him in just a minute here, and Brooke is going to back seat drive the conversation and tell me how bad of a job I'm doing.
Speaker 4: Somebody needs to be in control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do your second date update right after this.
Speaker 1: How many rom coms have that scene where one character teaches the other how to drive a stick shift through a corn field and then they veer off almost hit a cow and they laugh about it and make out for hours in the back seat.
Speaker 6: Dang, I haven't seen this.
Speaker 4: I don't see that either.
Speaker 6: Yeah, who's in that one country?
Speaker 2: I am gossling.
Speaker 1: White girl here.
Speaker 7: Girl.
Speaker 1: Well, that scene played out in real life the other day for our listener, Lily.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's kind I mean, no pals.
Speaker 1: It was, and it was just a regular automatic car with a millennial who hadn't learned for the first thirty years of his life out of job, but she taught him how and it turned out to be a great night with laughter and kissing. But now the romance is stuck in neutral car. We're gonna call this guy and try and kick it back into drive sport mode.
Speaker 3: If yeah, you ready to do this, Lily, I'm so ready. Yes.
Speaker 5: Think we're like four cylinder show it's fine, insurance doesn't cover.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm excited for you.
Speaker 5: It's weird that your friend doesn't know either. That was so adamant that you two go out. I think that that's the strangest part is he's not just calling not you back, but not talking to her either.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, he's just like disappear or something. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get some answers. I'm gonna call him right now. We'll see what he has to say. Here we go.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hey, is this Matt Speakin? Who's this?
Speaker 1: My name is jeff You may have heard this voice before on a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 5: He doesn't drive.
Speaker 4: You may not listen, that's true.
Speaker 2: Do you have podcasts?
Speaker 7: Sorry, I'm not familiar with it.
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, well, you're on a segment right now called a Second Date Update, and we're trying to help one of our listeners get back in touch with you after you two hung out the other night.
Speaker 2: Her name's Lily.
Speaker 7: Oh my god? Oh whoa really?
Speaker 4: Is that a good huh?
Speaker 7: Or about?
Speaker 4: Oh? We can't tell?
Speaker 7: Uh? You know, I I don't really want to talk about this. Oh, If that's okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I understand your hesitation, but this is how the segment works. Like Lily knows that she may be hearing something that might be a little awkward, a little uncomfortable, but she's just super confused after having a really nice time with you the other night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just it's just a very difficult situation really on your side?
Speaker 5: Is it something personal for you then? Because it sounds pretty easy on.
Speaker 4: Her side, she liked you, she'd like to go out again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very much on my side.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. Do you plan to reach out to Lily at any point?
Speaker 7: Maybe I'm just trying to figure out a way to do it.
Speaker 4: What do you mean, just with a call or text?
Speaker 1: Maybe we can help you out if you're going through something and you need to like work things through.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, so, are you like involved with somebody, because you can just be honest with us about that, bro.
Speaker 7: No, No, I'm not involved with anybody. It's more complicated than that.
Speaker 4: You're married, you're involved.
Speaker 2: With many.
Speaker 7: No, not that either.
Speaker 4: Do you want us to just play the guessing game for Yeah?
Speaker 7: I don't think there's any way you guys would guess this one.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Really if you could give us just a little bit of information, because Lily could really use a little closure on this. She really fell for you the night that she hung out, and she's been completely out of whack for the last week trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 7: Okay, I liked her too, So we have a mutual friend who's been like trying to set us up for like two or three months. Now.
Speaker 4: Oh you did know about that, okay?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, I was in on it. And we met at a party and we had this amazing experience and driving around the parking lot of some mall and she was really cool. So you know, I lived near our friends, so I just like walked over her house the next morning excited to tell her the news, and I'm like, hey, Lily and I we finally went out on that date.
Speaker 4: So you talked to her friend?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, and she was I don't know how to scrape. She just like had this look of shock on her face.
Speaker 4: I thought she was the one that set it all up. So you guys would meet at.
Speaker 7: The party, Well that's what I thought. So then she just like blurked out that she was just upset because she and like her trying to like set me up with Lily has decided that she's now like fallen for me. What hold on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, Lily's friend now admits that she has feelings for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I thought she was joking, so, you know, did you laugh? I sure did, wow, But she was like, it's not a joke. Oh no, she wants to be with me, and I like her as friend. We've known each other for a long time, but I never thought of her that way, especially with her trying to get me to date somebody else.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like there might be there might actually be feelings there for Lily's friend too, from the way you're talking about it.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I had never thought about it.
Speaker 6: I understand because they do say a lot of times when your friends first, things tend to be better. So, yeah, it's you.
Speaker 2: Why is she saying it's.
Speaker 5: Like telling somebody to order fries when it's you that really wants the fries.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe she was hoping that Lily would reject him so that she would be like, see, I guess there's nobody left for you.
Speaker 5: But that's a weird way to go about it. Yeah, that's gonna be a lot of information.
Speaker 7: Matt.
Speaker 1: It's not a horrible position for you to be in, but it's kind of a really bad situation for Lily.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys got to tell him now.
Speaker 1: I just got to tell you, Matt, this is super awkward. But Lily's been on the other line listening and heard the whole thing. What yeah, Hey, that's Lily.
Speaker 7: Hey Matt, Hey, Hey Lily. Oh, I'm really sorry. I still know you were on the like on this hall. This's not how I wanted you to find out.
Speaker 3: I am so overwhelmed. I just I don't know what this means. Like I thought my friend had my best dress at heart and had my back, and now I just feel like.
Speaker 5: I'll say, it doesn't sound like your friend did this maliciously or tried to hurt you in any way.
Speaker 1: I feel like maybe your friend lied to you on purpose. She definitely lied about saying that she didn't hear from that after the date.
Speaker 4: Well, what is she gonna say? I heard from him. I confess my love to him. That would be the truth.
Speaker 7: I thought.
Speaker 4: She doesn't know what to say either.
Speaker 6: Probably, Lily, she was trying to tell you how great of a guy she he is, and he's so great of a guy.
Speaker 2: She fell for him too.
Speaker 4: I mean, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: She's like trying to convince you over and over again, and then it finally dawns on her, like, wait a minute.
Speaker 3: For him, it's really making me rethink our entire friendship and like what else she might be keeping from me that, Oh, Mad.
Speaker 4: This is so messy for you to be in the middle.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, well I don't want to and anyone's friendship like mine with our friend or you guys, So the three of us could get together, get in a room, talk.
Speaker 4: It out, every guy.
Speaker 1: I like how you think, Matt, this is a good problem solving.
Speaker 6: I know, let's all have some drinks again.
Speaker 2: But what's wrong? What's wrong with that?
Speaker 4: Brook? It's not what the women want.
Speaker 1: If you were twenty years younger and a few drinks deep, you would be all over this. You'd say, bring seven more girls in here and let's have a really good time.
Speaker 4: Could Matt, have you got out with the other girl already? The friend?
Speaker 7: No? Not at all?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay jokes aside.
Speaker 1: In all honesty, Matt sounds pretty sincere, like he just wants them to all be together so they could talk about what's really going on. The secrecy and the keeping things from each other.
Speaker 2: That's not working.
Speaker 3: So Matt, I just I don't know what the right course of action here is because I liked you, and I man.
Speaker 7: I don't know, really, I don't have an answer for you. I think I think you got to talk to our friend first.
Speaker 4: So you can't decide between them.
Speaker 7: Still, No, I don't think it's a matter of deciding.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, yeah, that'd be a pretty messy road for Matt to take.
Speaker 2: So I mean, maybe it's not a bad.
Speaker 1: Idea for all three of you guys to talk it out together and we could pay to have you meet up at a restaurant or something like that.
Speaker 3: Whoa, that's I gotta I gotta put the gotta put a big old yellow flag out stare on that one.
Speaker 2: Restaurants. Should we go somewhere else?
Speaker 3: No, I just I've got so much to work out. I had no idea this is going to go this direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm sorry this is happening. I know this is a lot. Keep us posted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope more than anything your friendship, you know, gets through this.
Speaker 4: And then Matt, I mean, you're in a win win situation.
Speaker 6: So yeah, let us know who you pick.
Speaker 7: Matt. I don't know, but when when I do, I think, okay, okay, I mean if I if I end up with either of them, it's you know, there's gonna be the baggage of the last week.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be tough. Just like when you learn parallel parking from one of them. It's like the same thing.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have one of them behind you being like, no.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Do the other thing, crank the wheel to the right.
Speaker 7: You know, a lot of adults don't know how to drive, guys.
Speaker 1: Jeff in the morning, man, I kind of wanted to ask Lily if she would like to do an awkward Tuesday phone call to her friend to figure.
Speaker 2: Out what was going on.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. Well, it seemed like Lily was kind of reeling in the moment, so maybe we'll ask her off the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 5: Like we can just oh my god, right, she is going to need help with that convo though.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 4: Freend obviously is it coming to her kids? She knows it's so awkward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I've heard that stuff happen sometimes where you're use with a person and you try and set them up romantically and suddenly you catch feelings and end up dating them.
Speaker 4: Oh man, you've heard that before.
Speaker 6: I feel like it's the opposite for two girls are fighting, like, come on, you date them?
Speaker 3: No, no data.
Speaker 1: I really hope that we do get an update though from this situation. Invested in that to find out who he picks, or if he picks no one and goes in a completely different direction.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe after this he doesn't have any choices anymore, or.
Speaker 1: Maybe we broke him from dating forever. So if you'd like to be broken from dating forever.
Speaker 2: Email the show. We can help make that happen.
Speaker 1: And you can always catch any of our second eight update podcast online wherever you find your podcast at Broken, Jeffrey
Speaker 4: Broke, and Jeffrey in the Morning