Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm Deck Chrisner. On today's episode, we'll be taking a deep dive into Deep Seek. This is a Chinese artificial intelligence startup and its aimodel, known as R one, appears to rival the performance of US products like Chat GPT. Perhaps its biggest selling point is that the model was developed at a fraction of the cost of competing products, and that could make high valuations of some USAI related companies a little tough to justify. Let me give you one example today in US trading, shares in the AI chip leader in Nvidia, we're down nearly seventeen percent, and that led to a loss in the Nasdaq one hundred of three percent. In a moment, we'll be speaking with Jamie Cox. He is managing partner at Harris Financial Group. But let's begin in home with Bloomberg Tech editor of Vlad Savov. It's always a pleasure to chat with you've Lad. This feels like a major inflection point in the development of AI models. First, let me get your reaction and what you're hearing among Hong Kongers. Now that follow the tech space.
Speaker 3: Well, the interesting thing about deep Seek is it's a company that has rocketed to global renown and recognition today and over the past week, but it has been known about ever since it's beginning in twenty twenty three. It's one that our Bloomberg Intelligence colleagues have been taken a close look at because it is developing such a hot area of new software as AI. It has been developing its own models, so people here have been aware of it. It has been on the radar. But really the thing that has happened is it hit a certain threshold of recognition. Part of it really was Silicon Valley people, venture capitalists. They took an interest, they tried it out. They found out that it is, indeed, like you mentioned, as competitive, as the company itself says. It has posted some benchmark results on this website. It has claimed already that it competes with open Ai, but frankly, every AI model developer claims that they compete or they can rival open Ai. The amazing thing, and the really really impressive thing is that the people who know this stuff, which I can't claim that I'm an expert in it, they all recognize it as a breakthrough so we need to recognize that too. And it's also worth mentioning here that the company has put out a research paper of its own and they've said that the costs of training this model are less than six million dollars. Now, that excludes a whole bunch of costs, so we can't be exactly sure about how much more affordable it is for this small company to develop it, but it is very clearly a difference maker when it comes to our assessment of how much it costs to develop a world leading AI model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think to be fair, our analyst here in New York, Man Deep Saying, pointed out that our one was to developed using output from open Ai, Anthropic and LAMA to train the models. So it's almost as though AI is training AI a little bit. And I think that what may have precipitated or at least engendered a lot of the selling that we saw in the US in the last session was the rating on the Apple app Store. I think R one rose to the top level. Can we agree though, that the current Western approach to AI. I'm talking here about the reliance on those high end chips, extensive computing power, and vast amounts of electricity. Is that being challenged to some extent.
Speaker 3: Yes, we can agree that it's challenged. We cannot agree that it's a foregone conclusion that it's going to be going away. One thing to bear in mind here, which I think is very important, is that Deepsek's model has delivered an impressive chatbot. It only works with text. So what we have is a breakthrough and an impressive achievement, but it's within one medium. One of the things that you have to bear in mind is that the more advanced chips, the ones that are making a video is still a multi trillion dollar company, even with its massive share price drop. The thing that drives it is that you want those chips in order to get to the next stage of AI, specifically generative AI. So at the moment we're talking about generating text, but the next evolution is going to be generating images. Generating video is stuff that open ai and other services have already made major advances in, and that's where deep seek is probably going to need a lot more hardware than it's used just for text.
Speaker 2: So it may be too much to say that deep seek has been able to engineer a way around the export bands that were put in place during the Biden administration, the bands that basically kept China from accessing some of those advanced semiconductors manufactured by and Vidiot. We can't really articulate that, can we?
Speaker 3: Yes, this is correct. Now, there are two things to say here. Firstly, those bands and those trade cubs. Everyone in the industry said, this is only going to encourage China and Chinese companies to focus on more efficient methods. So this is exactly what is being predicted by the industry. They said, China will focus on more light, more small scale models, and Deep Seek is the fruits of those efforts. That being said, we cannot say that the sanctions are not effective because Deep Seek CEO and founder has himself said, the thing that Deep Seak requires right now is not more money, is not more investment, is actually access to those most advanced ships. The embargo is e cosed, the ban on accessing those video chips is the thing that's holding Deep Sea back.
Speaker 2: Are we likely to see some type of fragmentation within the artificial intelligence industry, which is to say that you have certain products that have been produced at low cost being rolled out at lower prices, and maybe those products will see greater adoption and some of the more sophisticated elements of artificial intelligence you'll have to pay a premium for, and that segment of the market will be controlled by very few companies.
Speaker 4: Yes, I can very.
Speaker 3: Much see that. One of the things that has been the trend over the past few months is actually opening Ey's revenue generation has accelerated, and it's one of the trends that we're seeing. And if you had asked me to predict what would be the big trend in AI in twenty twenty five, it is exactly this taking all that investment, taking all that developed technology, and turning into products that you can sell subscriptions or in other ways entices people to spend money on them. That is still going to continue to be the case the premium products. Open ai sells a two hundred dollars per month pro product. There is an audience for that. But that being said, the deep seek approach, it releases the software as an open source software, so you as an individual can take that and piggyback on top of it and decide that you want to build your own specific chatbook. And a good analogy that I have for this is when you think about banking. You have the traditional banks, the ones with branches and all those overheads and costs, and then you have the digit banks, the ones that are mobile only, app only, and because of that efficiency that those other banks have, they can offer you better rates and better office.
Speaker 2: So to go back to the hardware software issue, it seems like Chinese AI engineers have found a way to work with the software given the limitations of the hardware that they have been forced to use because of those US export controls. But I'm wondering whether on the semiconductor industry side of things in China that we may see some sort of breakthrough when it comes to advanced AI chips in the near future. Is that a possibility.
Speaker 3: Yes, There's two things to say here. Firstly, from what little we know about Deep Seek, and bear in mind it's a very very young startup. It came out of an AI hedge fund AI driven hedge fund, so we still don't know that much about it. But from interviews with the founder, he has said that most of his engineers are graduates from China's universities. They are entirely domestic Chinese engineers, so credit to the company is educational system now on the semiconductor front, there are technical limitations and challenges. The classic one is EUV machines that only ASML makes and is prevented from selling to China. Solving that issue. We haven't seen much evidence of China doing it, but then again, it may be something along the lines of deep Seek. We never saw deep Seek. We were only aware that is building a model. We never saw it doing a breakthrough until today, until it was actually ready to come out there.
Speaker 2: Flight, We'll leave it there, Thank you so much. Let's have of Bloomberg Tech editor in Asia joining us from Hong Kong here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Doug Chrisner. We continue with our deep dive on deep Seek. News of the Chinese startups new Chat bought r one, sparked to sell off in many AI related names globally, and it wiped out nearly a trillion dollars in market cap from US and European tech names. So now a key question is on capex spending plans for some of America's biggest companies. Joining me now for a closer look. As Jamie Cox is managing partner at Harris Financial Group. Jamie, thank you so much for being with us. Certainly was an interesting day where AI was concerned. How do you make sense of the market reaction to this Deep Seek story.
Speaker 4: I think the market's reaction was quite positive. I mean, there were only.
Speaker 1: Eight dollstocks that were down today. Sixty percent of the S and P five hundred companies were up. So this was very much an isolated day for you know, chip stocks. This was sort of the moment in time where you see disruption take hold, and when you start to see things like AI disruption and the possibility that maybe companies are overinvesting in AI infrastructure, you have to sit back and think a minute and ask yourself, you know, if Nvidia can legitimately sell thirty thousand dollars chips or not. So I think it made a lot of investors think. But a lot of investors have been worried about overvaluation in.
Speaker 4: These stocks anyway.
Speaker 1: So I think that the Deep Seek situation sort of precipitated. Was the precipitating event for things that may have happened anyway. So I think that's one thing to consider.
Speaker 4: The second is I actually think this is a good thing.
Speaker 1: It's very important that we not get COMPLACENTECH in our technology prowess in the United States. We need to realize that these technologies can be created at scale all over the world.
Speaker 4: And what Deep.
Speaker 1: Seek basically did was kick off what I believe will be an arms race, maybe a spot Nick moment for the United States where we get really serious in the prospect of competition from around the world will actually propel AI developed forward. So I'm actually very positive both on the development of AI and actually, and ironically, even though the stocks we took a beating today, I actually think that it further illustrates the need to build out AI infrastructure because what we're seeing now is disruption in basically AI one point zero, which will bring about the possibility of AI two point zero, which will make it universally usable and much more widely adopted than what we see right now. So I'm pretty excited about what we see. This is just a moment in time in the market, and we'll be looking back on this as one of the best buying opportunities in these stocks at quite some time.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that I've found very compelling here is that deep Seek's chatbot, known as R one was apparently trained using less than cutting edge semiconductors, and that in turn required much less energy consumption. So I hear what you're saying when it comes to the sell off that we had in certain semiconductor names today. But I was also struck by the fact that Constellation Energy was down twenty percent. How does the Deep Seek story change the conversation around power?
Speaker 4: So there's two parts of that question. I'll address the power one first. There have been.
Speaker 1: Reports of inability for companies to get adequate power sources to data centers. So companies like Microsoft Amazon are putting in personal nuclear reactors to actually power data centers, and companies like Constellation Energy provide those services. So if the data centers are not going to be as plentible and therefore the power sources will not be needed, that's why you see these knock on effects. It's one of the reasons why the power story had been one of the sort of tertiary ways to play the AI story without actually buying the tech stocks. So that's why they're sort of connected together in a trade.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that.
Speaker 1: Either story will turn out to be, you know, the sell off today will be the right one.
Speaker 4: I think it's actually the wrong choice.
Speaker 1: But to go back to talk about the clever technology or the clever engineering that made this possible, where the R one, you know, learning module is able to use.
Speaker 4: Just a just a It's a very small change, but it's very very impactful.
Speaker 1: So if you think about like disruptive technologies, you have incumbent players who basically iterate they have built this fantastic black box, and they just iterate small and small pieces, Whereas these disruptive players come come around and they actually change the entire game. And that's what Deep Seek has done. They basically took the AI engine which is ever present in open ai, where the technology is ready for any question on any topic, whereas in the in the deep Seek infrastructure, it would basically take the input and only turn on the pieces of the infrastructure that were needed to answer.
Speaker 4: The question or to iterate.
Speaker 1: So it basically didn't have the entire system running, you know, all the time. And that will be readily adopted by all AI providers. For sure, Beta and for sure Open AI will adopt that clever engineering and they too will have it. And so the reason why I think that this is just the beginning is that now that infrastructure that was being built to handle an ever present AI infrastructure now could be used for other things. And I think that's why we're going to see this AI infrastructure actually blossom as a result of this disruption, not be torn apart.
Speaker 2: It is a critical week for tech earnings. This week. Four of the mag seven are reporting. That's Apple, Microsoft, Tesla, and Meta Platforms. What are your expectations here and what do these companies need to say about the future in order for investors to really kind of not lose heart.
Speaker 4: Well, two of the four of them had a very good day to day.
Speaker 1: I mean, Apple and Meta really bucked the trend, and it was largely because they're consumers of these more expensive, you know, chips, and I think if anything that lowers the infrastructure costs a cruise directly to players like Meta or Apple. Apple's unique story because there have been some concerns about the inability to produce or sell the iPhone. Maybe sales had declined, maybe people weren't upgrading at the same rate. But the story on Apple is less hardware these days and definitely more about.
Speaker 4: You know, the ancillary services.
Speaker 1: So I think Apple is going to do quite well and I think the stock definitely had a fantastic day to day on the prospects of them, you know, having higher margins because they're spending less on their data infrastructure meta the same thing. I think Microsoft kind of got caught up in the AI given its investment in the in the open AI platform. But I think that Microsoft is actually, of the three, the best position to continue to grow earnings year over year, and so I think three of the four are doing well. I'm not I don't follow Tesla that much, but I feel like Elon Musk may be in a better position to understand whether or not this deep seek technology is actually you know, whether or not the technology being deployed or the things that the company has said that they've been able to do, or actual reality because Tesla has one of the largest AI infrastructures powered by all the automobiles that Tesla makes, so their neural net has been around for some time and has been generating AI content for generation of software with the cars. So I think maybe we might learn a thing or two in the conference call that may be related to deep seek in some of this AI disruption. I think that will be the story for the for the Tesla conference call this.
Speaker 2: Year, Jamie. Before I let you go, We've also have a FED decision on Wednesday, Powell news conference right after we get the decision. Is it likely that we're going to get kind of a hawkish message right now?
Speaker 4: No, I think the FED is on hold.
Speaker 1: They may discuss, as they did in the press conference and December, the need to be cautious about lowering rates too fast. But it's going to be interesting to watch over the next couple of months because the President is going to put enormous pressure on the FED to do something about mortgage rates. That has been a particular concern to President Trump, and he is going to start beating the drum on that very loudly. So I have a feeling we'll start to see the FED start to talk about how they're going to deal with the balance sheet and how they could.
Speaker 4: Help consumers on the mortgage side.
Speaker 1: So I don't think this FED meeting will be much on the FED fund rate in terms of news. I mean, the FED fund futures basically are ninety nine percent that they hold. What is not built into the model is what they talk about on the ballot sheet, and there has been runoff at a fairly decent equipped over the last year and a half, and I think that may be ready to slow down. And if the FED would you slow its mortgage backed securities runoff, I think that might help mortgage rates some. So I think that's where you're going to see some of the action. And it would not surprise me at all if the President is out, you know, with comments in and around the FED meeting, that would you know, really encourage them to be more aggressive in helping mortgage rates to.
Speaker 2: Con Jamie will leave it there. Thank you so much for being with us. Jimmy Cox there, managing partner at Harris Financial Group, joining from Richmond, Virginia. Here on the Daybreak Asia Podcast. Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Prisoner and this is Bloomberg