Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two Podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Barth.
Speaker 2: Lazar, Hello, everybody nailed it, joined us always buy our Bara.
Speaker 1: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex bar You want to talk about uncharted territory? You want to talk about the Great Unknown? Yeah, New England Patriots fans, We're in it. Welcome to the Great Unknown.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Great Unknown. As sorry, I am Evan Lazar, Alex Barth. Patriots Catch twenty two. Just a weird, weird day Yesterday, Alex. Weird day, weird week, weird week, weird tie. It hasn't really we haven't been on the air on this particular show since the news broke that the Patriots are higher Drod Mayo. I think we were on when when they mutually parted ways is the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were on that afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we were on that afternoon for that, and but we haven't been on since they named Gerrod Mayo as the head coach. So we both have opinions on that. But I want to start with yesterday because I feel like everybody, you know, it's kind of a good thing. I guess that we weren't on right away because I've it's allowed it to like sort of seep in, right. You know, I think immediate reaction shows are always tough because we're all just trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Now we've had some time to let the dust settle, to let this soak in. That Gerd Mayo is the head coach of the team. And my my takeaway from yesterday, First of all, if you were expecting some whiteboard PowerPoint presentation of how Girard Mayo was going to fix the New England Patriots yesterday, I understand that all of us, so Alex and I included, are new to this whole introductory press conference thing when it comes to a head coach. But that's not how those things work. Okay, Like they talking and coach speak, owners speak, big picture, very very You're not gonna get a ton of information out of those types of things. And if that was your expectation that they were going to tell you who the offensive coordinator was going to be and who was going to have final say in the personnel decisions, and this that the other thing, and this was not the the environment for that. With that being said, you study Shakespeare at all, as a kid, don't you know, Like I wasn't like a huge Shakespeare guy, but the one, the one.
Speaker 1: Really you struck me. He's quite the poet of it.
Speaker 2: No, well Shakespeare, he's not a poet. Shakespeare, I'm not a big shit there's there's not.
Speaker 1: All about that. Do you think I just said I don't remember anything about Shakespeare from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shakespeare wrote plays out.
Speaker 1: William Shakespeare was an English playwright, poet, and actor. Yeah, I'm not calling him a boom all right, fine, just like his official biography disagrees on Google.
Speaker 2: Yeah that Wikipedia real good source. Anyways, this is not the point. It's not the like uh Britannic or whatever. It is the bit like the big book, the one that has all the big book with all the facts. Yeah, okay, let me let me finish my nal.
Speaker 1: Shakespeare X William Evan Lazar, William Shakespeare. I wasn't grinding tape and William Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: Can you just let me finish the point?
Speaker 1: Geez done, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So I I I'm not a big Shakespeare guy. But but Julius Caesar was like the one guy that fascinated me.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a real guy and not just like something.
Speaker 2: Shakespeare, But I I found I discovered Julius Caesar from Shakespeare.
Speaker 1: I discovered him from salads.
Speaker 2: Oh god, okay, So I I discovered him. I'm into you know, maybe it's like the devil on the shoulder and in me right that I'm into, like you know, tyrants and warlords and things like that. It interests me, okay. And so I look into Caesar a little bit figure out, and you're not like the Gladiator version, like the actual versions of what went down and things like that. And I can't help but thinking that in this situation, Bill Belichick was Julius Caesar. We walked into that GP Atrium, very nice space, by the way, very nice space, company man, very nice space. And the only person that had anything to do with the twenty twenty three Patriots that wasn't in the room was Bill Belichick. You had, the front office was all there, Drod Mayo's all there, ownerships there, everybody is there except Bill. And we were told, and I think this did happen, that there was a autopsy done about football operations from basically post Germany on, like after the Germany game on of what went wrong? How did we get here?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: What are the biggest issues with the team? That how are we four and thirteen? Right? And this autopsy went on and the conclusion and the boss man Fred always says, you know, look at what they do, not what they say. Right, the conclusion was Bill was the problem. And I don't know how you can really take it from any place else other than that. Well, and I used the Caesar comp because at two Jerrod right like it just it feels to me like Bill's a problem. Now with that being said, they know a lot more about the situation than we do. When I say they, I mean mister Kraft and people craft in the buildings and actually talk to these people and things like that. But we talked about this last night off the air a little bit. Bill was the fall guy, and it's interesting to me that that's how it went down, because that doesn't always happen in life, right, Like if you come at the King, you best not miss right right well, And that's how this all went down. And I can't help but think that when macro and Elliott Wolfe and Cameron Williams and the entire front office walks in and Gerrodd's up on the stage and ownerships here it's like, okay, so you really thought that the biggest problem was built, so you cut the head off at the snake, head of the snake off, right, and now everything's going to be different. And I there's reasons to believe that. I'm not saying it as in like they're wrong. I'm just saying that's what they're telling us, what their actions is what they feel was the case.
Speaker 1: So I want to get into things will be different thing, because I think that was a big theme for me yesterday on your take. Look, they went four and thirteen. Something clearly wasn't working. Everybody knew that there was always going to be a fall guy or fall guys. We had conversations off the air, Evan about who we thought that would be. I don't think at one point we put Bill as the fall guy. And to what you're saying, either they thought that or that's what they want to that's what that's how they want to present it, even if it wasn't true. And at a certain point you're splitting hairs there, but they are, whether it's because they believe it or whether it's because it's a convenient narrative because he's not here anymore. They're putting it on Bill. They're one putting it on Bill, and it's it's an interesting route to take. Man, it's a very interesting route to take because if it doesn't work out, I mean, people are already frustrated. Now you move on from the and Robert did call him the greatest coach of all time here say it wasn't in the other week, Like it's not about it wasn't exactly a roast of Bill Belichick. But you know, if it doesn't go great, it looks like he kicked the greatest coach of all time out the door, and he gave him, you know, a couple extra kicks as he was going. If it does work, Robert Craft looks like a genius. Rights like a massive, massive genius.
Speaker 2: So the buzzwords that we heard yesterday are all the words that we we thought we would hear. I think, you know, collaboration, yeah, building relationships with this generation, repairingship and repairing other relationships.
Speaker 1: Echo chambers, right, not being an echo chamber.
Speaker 2: So I think the biggest thing that I took away from that all of that was that the echo chamber thing I think was big. I think that a lot of people within the organization feel that they couldn't speak their mind or their mind wasn't hurt or whatever the case may be. And the other thing was the relationships with the current generation of players, Like, how do you not take that as a shot across the bow of the seventy one year old coach that you just walked.
Speaker 1: On who By the way, Ian rapporters reporting will have a second interview with the Falcons this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can get to that. That seems like the only chair at this point left for Bill Belichick. And the last one was it does feel like they want to kind of innovate the way that they do things in the front office. And this is sort of a bigger thing that I want to unpack in terms of what's going on with the front office. But those three things really line up to culture, Like they feel like the culture needed to change. They feel like the today's generation of athlete doesn't respond to the culture that Bill Belichick laid out. You know, the hard nose. I hate to call it militaristic because it's that I don't like using comparing things to the military, but you know that sort of of look and we'll see, like we'll see if this is the right approach. I liked Drawd a lot. I think a lot of players we spoke to on the record, Juwan Bentley, Jonathan Jones yesterday, I spoke to some of the guys off to the side as well that were there, and everybody's really excited. You know. The word Juwan Bentley used multiple times as hype, like I'm hype for this. The right guy got the job. I think there's a lot of energy in that room yesterday about this move and about Girod Mayo taking over. But the people around Girod Mayo are going to be just as important as his ability to be a head coach. Like who's his offensive coordinator? We still don't know right who's his defensive coordinator. We still don't know who's the one that has final say in the front office. We still don't know who's actually calling the shots behind the scenes for this football team right now, we really don't know. And that's going to ultimately decide the fate of Girod Mayo's regime as the Patriots head coach is all of those other people around him, And then probably most importantly out of all those things is obviously the quarterback and Girod Mayo had an interview yesterday with Steve Burton. I know some people have taken it differently than me personally. When he says that he's going to take a player at the most important position, you put the pieces together. I don't know how else to put those pieces together other than they're taking a quarterback at three overall. But we'll get to that as well. Eight five to five, Pats five hundred is the phone number. Radio at Patriots dot com is the email address. This show is always about like the nitty gritty x's and o's of this football team. So I kind of I hate this type of stuff, I really do. I hate the politics, the palace coups like I know that there's a lot of people that eat that stuff up. I wish that we could be talking about draft prospects and offseasons. So if you want to get into that as well, you can give us a call and we'll certainly talk a little bit about that. But I want to say something that's gonna that's gonna piss you off, Alex about about the front office. And I want to say this, and then we'll start taking some calls and whatnot. But the thing that I think is gonna piss you off about the front office. Uh, from everything that I've gathered and put together, I think that the front office feels like the Patriots are dinosaurs with the way that they scout players. They feel like Bill prioritized I test connections in the college football world, yeah, which is a big one, and old school Stopwatch Pro Day combine numbers, interviews, that sort of stuff, and the way of the world now is different. The I'm not going to use the A word because that's really going to piss you off. Player tracking data.
Speaker 1: I don't know how many times I'll tell you this, I have no problem with, Like x player runs twenty two miles an hour. That's a tangible number. I'm okay with that. Okay, just don't start getting me things over expected or just random combinations of four letters that don't actually mean anything.
Speaker 2: So the Patriots analytics department, Yes, there I said the magic word. The Patriots analytics department, compared to the other teams that are now succeeding at a high level in the NFL, is a minuscule in terms of size, right, like they It's tiny, and not only is it not a big group of people, that are actually running analytics for this football team. They were not very heard by the guy making the final say so, I think in a lot of ways, the Patriots front office feels that they are going to update, innovate whatever you want to use their scouting methods. And I saw a clip the other day. I almost shared it, but not better of it. Uh this the Los Angeles Rams were in their their draft room talking about Puka Nakua before they were about to make the pick, and less Need, their general manager, was talking to Sean McVay and and Sean McVay was talking about it like, oh, we can use them like this that the other you know, the exit and O is the eye test, right, and less Need was saying that if you sort Puku Nakua among the wide receivers in this draft by actual game speed, right, We're talking like next gen player tracking data, not what he ran in the forty yard dash at his pro day, but actual in game with pads on guys chasing him game speed. That Puku Nakua was one of the fastest receivers in this class in actual gameplay. And you see what happened. You know, he had one of the best rookie seasons for a wide receiver in the history of the NFL. So that's just one example, but I think that's a big direction that this team is going to try to go in as well. And I think drawd Mayo's expertise, his business background at Optum, you know, things like that, I think that he's into that sort of thing as well. So, for better or worse, whether you like it or not, the analytics I think are going to be a bigger part of their scouting portfolio moving forward. There's always going to be a place in both you and I believe strongly, Yeah, in the eye test, Like you still have to watch these guys on film. We're not talking that they're going to draft people off hapreadraft good players, but they I think what the goal and let me have you.
Speaker 1: Got to talk to them and make sure and Mayo talked about this Tyesday, you're drafting good people too, Like that's a big part of it.
Speaker 2: I think the goal of this is, though, is that they're gonna be drafting good football players based off of actual football, tangible football evidence, and not what he runs in a forty and a spandexit at the.
Speaker 1: Combine that and that's why what I know, you thought you're gonna piss me off. That's why it doesn't because you use that word tangible. Yeah, it registers that a guy runs you know this many miles an hour or you know acceleration. How you know, how quickly does he get up to top speed? I would even argue more, Evan. You know my thing about the forty that nobody knows the practical application of the forty. The whole reason the forty was added was because at the time, the average punt traveled forty yards and they wanted to make sure that you could get down the field in time to cover a punt. That's why it's a fort Like why not a thirty yard dash? Why not a fifty yard dash? Why is it that? That's what the whole point of that is. See, you can go cover a punt, right, that's it. So, yes, doesn't measure how fast a player is. There's numbers within that, Evan, I know you're big on this. The ten yard splits, yeah, right, where burst off the line is? Right? How fast you get out of your stands? How fast you really get going for a linement? Alignment? Might run like a five to one, but if his first ten second is pretty good, it's like, all right, that guy's explosive getting out of his stance, which is what you want. I've always wanted them to run the forty out of three point stance, not the sprinter stance, because it's more relevant. But I have no problem with tangible information. Don't give me expected over this or dvoa that. If we're talking. If we're talking is like yards, Look it's a result. Look, it's not like we're not projecting forward. We're talking about a stat that is that is tangible. I don't know because what's the formula.
Speaker 2: Oh you have to scaring. Chat's my point.
Speaker 1: And look, Aaron shatz sharre in high school grads. So I don't want to knock them. I don't, and there's certainly a place for that for certain people. I need to understand what I'm looking at. I need to know what's behind it. Miles per hour. My simple brain can grasp that. Okay, big man, run fast, great good. I when I when I, when I covered football in college. There's a coach we asked him one time, Uh, he had a really good tight end, and we were like, what makes this tight end so good? And he said, he's a big guy that can run fast. That's usually a good tight end. And I'm like, all right, I can understand that big man that run fast. That was in Gronk's pride too.
Speaker 2: I'm right now, I think like big man run fast is where the front office thinks that the dinosaurs are right like that?
Speaker 1: Like, so well, I feel like that's like the part I'm saying. I don't think it's one or the other. I think big man run fast forty yard dash or big man run fast, you know, next gen tracking data.
Speaker 2: I guess it depends on what position you play.
Speaker 1: But that's but that's kind of my point is are we actually because.
Speaker 2: If you're like DK Metcalf, big man run fast, yeah, right, But at the same time, he's got a lot of other things that are good about his game. But that's that's the crux of what makes him different is that he's six and can run a four to three, right.
Speaker 1: Right, So I get that. That's just my point. It's like if so it wasn't to say, like, all right, just oh hey, this guy looks fast on tape. He's good. But I'm saying, if if you want to track player speed through next Gen Stats compare with I don't know, do they use next Gen stats for college or whatever they used to get mom that they outsource it? Okay, whatever does it? If you want to use miles Prower rather than the forty yard dash to track the fastest players, I have no I'm all in on that. I have no problem with that because you're actually gaining tangible information.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And they also will track like, for example, like a linebacker, like how fast is his closing speed?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, I know there's a lot of things like.
Speaker 2: That from where he is to the ball.
Speaker 1: And that's that thing where like what I'm big on is see it on tape and make sure it matches. Yeah, right, use that to confirm what you see on the tape. The tape should still be king. But it's like, Okay, this guy looks very quick twitch. Do the numbers back it up or not? He just playing a bunch of slow apart right.
Speaker 2: And teams, you know, a lot of teams will also reverse it right where they'll say they'll have these analytics houses, they'll bring them these numbers and they'll say, oh, wow, Puka Nakua ran twenty one miles an hour. Maybe we should pull up this guy's tape and see what it looks like to the eye test on film. I think that at the end of the day, the whole point of all of this is just that they feel as though the only way to move forward was to cut Bill out, and Bill not necessarily that Bill I think Bill was the problem is probably the wrong way to put it. It's more like Bill was preventing younger, innovative type of minds in the organization from having a voice and having a say and having an ability to push things forward. And the Atlanta Falcons sounds like they're pretty much gonna hire Bill Belichick. I think somebody reported, I don't know who it was, one of the insiders had reported that the NFL would prefer teams to wait until after the divisional round because that's technically when you can start interviewing people in person to actually announce these hires. So my guess is that we're gonna hear early and draw Maya was promoted from within, so that's a different, different, different thing. I'm talking about external hires. So my guess is that early next week we're gonna start hearing a lot of jobs being filled across the NFL. And this news about Bill getting a second interview in Atlanta would tell me that that this is probably finalizing some details about how this is gonna look with the Falcons. So interesting interesting stuff yesterday, but I just couldn't help. The biggest takeaway couldn't help but look around and be like, he's the only one that's not here, right, you know, like the coaching staff wasn't there, but it's not Girod's coaching staff.
Speaker 1: Some of them are.
Speaker 2: DeMarcus Covington was. I think he was the only one I saw that.
Speaker 1: Was Oh, they were like front office guys there. But yeah, you might have been the only coach, which I mean I've said like I'd love for him to step in his DC. So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know where their head that is at with that. The coaching staff is an interesting one. I don't think anybody uh knows exactly what's going to happen with all of that, even people in the building.
Speaker 1: I think it's pretty safe to say it's going to be a new group. You're not interviewing potential special teams coordinators to keep the guys you have, I think.
Speaker 2: On special teams, I agree on defense, there is there is Rooney Rule implications when it comes to UH defensive coordinator and offense.
Speaker 1: So I couldn't find that for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need you have to do one instead of two. It's two for head coaches. It's one for offensive and for coordinator.
Speaker 1: So really hard to find, like the actual written text of the R.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you want to, for example, for the Patriots, if they want to give Steve Belichick the official title of defensive coordinator, then they have to interview external minority candidates as well, because he's not technically the defensive coordinator now right, so you're promoting him.
Speaker 1: And it is external candidates too. I've seen some people miss that, like it's you can't, right.
Speaker 2: You can't interview de Marcus Comington for the job.
Speaker 1: I mean you can't, but it doesn't count for the room. You can't and you should let me add that.
Speaker 2: But all right, let's take some of these phone calls. People are already calling in. Tucker is in Richmond, what's up? Tucker?
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, thanks for taking the call. Listen to your show every week, but most of the time it's the recording, so I can't really ever call in. But I really like it and keeping the really enjoyed during the season. But the thing I wanted to touch on and I going back a little bit We've all been talking about, but I don't think I've heard either of you kind of give your take on the workers sham piece that came out from ESPN. I guess that was last week. I know that was probably mostly from Bill's camp, so trying to take it with a grain of salt, but kind of made me feel a little bit more sympathetic for just with how kind of the relationship that deteriorated with the Crafts and makes me kind of I want to root for him to have more success than the than the Patriots do for the next year or two, just to kind of show that, you know, maybe he was right and there wrong, but I mean, I don't know, I've always been kind of in Bill's camp through all of this, So curiser Al thought, thanks, I'll take it offline, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Thanks, Tucker. Yeah, I definitely won't be going that far. I mean, I hope I wish Bill success where he else you go. You know, I'm saying with Brady right in Tampa Bay, I wouldn't. I'm going to be honest, like when Brady won with the Buccaneers in Tampa Bay, It's done like that was not I was not all like happy for him, like, oh, let's go down to Tampa and go to the parade. Like no, I was that that did not feel good.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was happy. It was a weird emotion. I can't really describe I was.
Speaker 2: I did not did not like that at all, because it's just not good for many direction, right, Like he wins someplace else, he could have stayed here.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like, and I was happy for Tom Brady that he got to accomplish. But you know what it was, you know what was weird about it? You know what? So I went in thinking I didn't want Brady to win, and then pregame, one of the pregame shows said something about his mom throughout that season break Brady's mom Yeah, would still say like when they were on the phone, would still say go Patriots yea. And he would do it too. And that was some weird sort of closure for me. And at that point I was like, I would ever go win it.
Speaker 2: So the the Wickersham piece and all this stuff about the strays that are being thrown back and forth, I think The one thing I would say about that is that, in my mind, the job of an owner, the role of an owner is to be the voice of reason to save people from themselves, especially people like Bill who are really hard to check in terms of power. Right, Like, no nobody is gonna go up to Bill in this organization other than Robert Kraft and say, Matt Patricia is not an offensive coordinator. What the heck are we doing?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, that's not gonna necessarily happen, and it's.
Speaker 1: Not anybody else's job to do that, right.
Speaker 2: And that's the in my mind, that's the job of an owner is to step in when things are are like that are happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The one thing that I agree with Bill on if that if this is truly Bill's stanton and he's truly holding these things against Robert h The one thing I will agree with Bill on naming in writing Gerrod Mayo the successor a year before he was or even two years before, according to some reporting, before he was supposed to take over the job, was making Bill lame duck.
Speaker 1: But wasn't the reporting from Bill that he was okay with that? That it was in Bill's contract too, that there's the Wickersham one. They were like two from Breer, there was the Herald one. I'm honestly losing track and what was from what?
Speaker 2: So my point being is that you can definitely see how especially once word and word always gets out, right like people always find out, and especially once the word starts get out that Girod Mayo has it written in his contract that he's the heir apparent to Bill Belichick. That just creates a dysfunctional environment, right Like, there's gonna be people that are gonna be team Girod. There's gonna be people that are team Bill. There's gonna be people that are gonna tell Greg Badard that he's rubbing people the wrong way Girod, right like, you know that all of that now, in hindsight makes so much more sense because he was a made man, Drawd Mayo, and he knew it. And it wasn't just a vocal promise like I think it was with Josh mcdarid. This was a true, written in contract language, you are the next head coach of the New England Patriots if and when Bill Belichick is gone. And that, to me, I think was not necessarily malicious or on purpose, but I think, in hindsight, having the twenty twenty three coaching staff function properly with that hanging over everybody's head probably was not the move.
Speaker 1: We talked to it. I don't know if it's on the show I talked about it. I think it was on the show last week. Something I've learned in all of this is Robert Kraft is an optimist. Yeah, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Like I think that's a good trait. But if things had gone according to plan again, it looks brilliant. You know, Bill finishes it out, Girod Mayo gets to learn under him. It's this great symbiotic relationship and then boom, you hand the thing off clean baton pass, really no hiccup. Yeah, it obviously didn't work out like that, and because it didn't, the idea looks somewhat worse. And I think there's been some other instances too, where you've seen the Patriots do things were like, if this works out, it's gonna be great. And I think Robert Craft truly believes himself. I think he truly believes in the people he hires, and that's a good trait, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way, and then you get a situation like they're in right now. Yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: All the things that went wrong with the twenty twenty three team. Now knowing this about Girod Mayo's contract kind of puts it all into light. Yeah, how this all kind of came out part from a coaching perspective, because it never made any sense that they were so poorly coached. They have good coaches, right like, Bill Belichick's the greatest coach of all time. I think Bill O'Brien's a good coach. Girod Meyo is running the defense with Steve and now he's the head coach of the team, so they obviously think that he's a good coach. Joe Judge, for all of his flaws, I think is a good special teams coach, and their special teams wasn't all that much better. So all these things just didn't necessarily add up. A no talent in personnel is such a big reason for all of that. But it just felt it felt like a team that was poorly coached on the fundamentals, on the details of the game, which never made any sense when you looked at the actual experience and the actual knowledge on the coaching staff. So all this, in hindsight is really putting it all into perspective. Patty is an aguam. What's up, Patty?
Speaker 4: Jen?
Speaker 5: All right, Kevin, I got to clear a couple of things up from for you, okay, and Alex. I got a couple of names I want to Roger, allright, So I have an I think a two brute is from Hamlin's not from Julius Caesar. That's number one. And hey, I'm not I'm not judging. I'm a dummy.
Speaker 1: So it's from Caesar.
Speaker 2: It's from Caesar.
Speaker 3: From Caesar.
Speaker 1: Are you sure it's Julius Caesar's last words?
Speaker 2: Yeah, brute is his is his best buddy that he.
Speaker 1: Never stabbed him in the back, stabbed him in the back.
Speaker 5: I did say I was a dummy, So there you go. And Tuesday, when I called in saying that the guy that I wanted, Jayden Daniels, I wasn't looking at it as sort of like a consolation prize if those first two quarterbacks don't wanted to Honestly, I'm not sold on Drake May. I know that they're probably not going to get a chance to draft Kaylob Williams, but I think I correlate Jayden Daniels game to Deshaun Watson and and here's and this is why, this is how my brain works. When I watched Deshaun Watson his junior year at Clemson, I'm like, this guy's gonna suck. He's a one read quarterback. When that reads covered, he's gonna take off and he's gonna end up getting hurt. His senior year, I saw him progress and I saw him like read the field a little bit better. And I think I saw that from Jayden Daniels this past year and what's like maybe five games that I was able to watch LSU. So that's where I.
Speaker 3: Was going with that.
Speaker 5: He's for me, he's QB two, but I would love to see him on the team. And Alex the two names well both of you guys, but I think Alex dives a little bit steeper at this point, you know, in the NFL season. Then then you might have been true. If we're unable if we go QB one, yeah, number number three in the in the draft, and we're not able to get like a Patrick Paul in the second round, Patrick von Foster. I've looked at Javon Foster offensive tackle for Missouri and a sleeper wide receiver that I looked at that he looks pretty good. He looks like a Taekwon Thornton that's actually viable, that might actually be good in the NFL. Tory Holton out of or Tory Horton out of Colorado's state wide receiver. That's all I got, guys, I'll pick it up here.
Speaker 2: Thanks Patty uh So to the Jade and Daniels saying we've texted back and forth about this a little bit recently. Alex just the I'm scared. I'm just gonna say it. I'm afraid for the first time in my life, Adrian, I'm afraid. I am afraid to take a quarterback. I'm terrified of it. That's like, that's just what comes with it. It's because all you see are the flaws in the player, right Like, and it's not just Jayden Daniels, Like I'm sitting there and I'm watching Caleb Williams, fam whoever film excuse me who? Everybody's telling me is like this Trevor Lawrence Andrew Luck level prospect and I'm like, he took forty sacks last year. He fumbled like eighty times, and like, what am I missing? Right? And I'm not saying that Kayleb Williams is not a super talented player and not a His ceiling is through the roof, there's no doubt about that. But part of me can't help but look at this and say, he doesn't throw on time, He takes a ton of sacks, he turns the ball over, he's reckless. And I think then with Drake May like there's there's mechanical and footwork flaws that lead to accuracy issues for him. Daniel Jones, Daniel Jones, I think Josh Allen is probably the nicer comp right where.
Speaker 1: Well, no, because I told you that Daniel Jones comp and then you said you couldn't not see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely true, you know. I Jayden Daniels is probably my favorite out of all three to watch, you know, Like, I just love that lect. I just love that style. But at the same time, Patty's right, like he just if it's not initially there for him, his instinct is just to take off running and in college he can break off a forty yard scramble because nobody can catch him, and the pros people are going to catch him. And those forty yard scrambles might become eight yard scrambles or ten yard scrambles, and he's getting hit, and then you know, you worry about the injuries. Right like, here we go, and this is all I'm telling you, This is all. I can't get it out of my head that I just every time I watch one of these guys, I see a lot of positives and I see a lot of negatives, and none of them, by the way, I think Drake may is the closest.
Speaker 1: But none of them really played their brand of football. And I we don't know what their brand of football is going to be.
Speaker 2: But I'm all for innovation, like you know that, I'm all for modernizing. And I have a take on on net that I think Mike Lombardi nailed the other day that I heard. But in general, they are looking for sound, instructured decision makers, guys that are gonna throw on time to the open man, to the right guy, and the read the right guy in the progression accurately. And none of these guys fit that bill. So if you're gonna do this with one of these players, you're gonna have to completely rewrite how you run offense, Like.
Speaker 1: Don't, but there's a chance they might do that. I mean, you have a new head coach. We don't know who's he's gonna bring into the coordinator a real shot at that. And again this is why, and so what I would say to you being afraid of drafting a quarterback is terrified. What's the alternative?
Speaker 2: The alternatives are.
Speaker 1: The alternatives aren't pretty either.
Speaker 2: The alternatives are I guess two ways, right, One is the draft best player available in the first round bow Knick's path, right, which is what Dame Briggler did for the Patriots and his latest mock Marvin Harrison Junior at three, bow Knicks at thirty four, right, Like, that's one path. The other pass.
Speaker 1: So the Tennessee Titans plan more or less. Yeah, that went well. They well, but the Titans didn't draft Marvin Harrison Junior. All right, I mean there's that was just the first one that came to mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they took Scronsky right in the first round, and then it was.
Speaker 1: Well, then they signed they signed Hopkins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. The other path is to solve the quarterback problem in veteran in the veteran market. I don't want to say free agency, because you know.
Speaker 1: So by the way, the other the other like second round picks talking about Drew Locke in Denver. I think that was the year they took Jerry Judy. Yeah, so that obviously didn't work out. Uh, Jalen Hurts and Philly worked out for a year. Put a pin in that one. Uh, Kyle Trask and Tampa Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean Kyle Trast sign BA. Kyle Trask's ceiling was much lower than bo Nix's. Like Kyle Trask, you knew was probably at his best, like a really good backup.
Speaker 1: Cour Deshaun Kaiser. I'm just going back to the most recent second round picks, Christian Hackenberg.
Speaker 2: I feel like DeShawn Kaiser. Christian Hackenberg is back when we, like teams really didn't know how to scout court. I feel like we've gotten better.
Speaker 1: At it, all right, Well I would when I say.
Speaker 2: We, I mean like NFL team, So I shouldn't say we.
Speaker 1: But there's been four quarterbacks taking in the second round in the last five years. You're looking at Will Levis, Desmond Ritter, h Kyle Trask. I might have counted wrong, Jalen Hurts and Drew Locke.
Speaker 2: Back to twenty nine, great, and I have my concerns about bo Nicks too, as you said.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, there's that path right just right all the angles. Well there's a third path too, Well it's the veteran mark. No, there's a third path. What's that run it back? Oh well no, that's note nobody. But here's my point. But but it has to be because you're either talking about a thirty six year old Kirk Cousins coming off of torn achilles, no guarantee.
Speaker 2: I would just say that, okay, finish your point, and then.
Speaker 1: There's no guarantee there. Yeah, you're talking about a super low ceiling player like bo Nix. Might be a decent quarterback, he's not a franchise quarterback. He's not gonna be. He's too old to develop to that level to make the jumps he needs to make or run it back, which I don't. Nobody wants to do so, or take the guy in the first round. This is why do you remember back in like October, when everybody was ready to push Mac Jones out the door, and I said, you need to be patient and make sure it wasn't this. And at the time it was taken as this defense of mac Jones. It wasn't. It was because this is what's on the other side. And look, we ultimately found out with mac Jones and he wasn't the guy. And now, yes, this is where they are and they do. This is not me advocating for mac Jones or Bailey's Appy, and they found out with Bailey's Appy too. But the point is, you don't go back to the quarterback carousel until you're sure you absolutely need to, because as I've been saying for months, there is no you go into that carousel, you might not come out for twenty years. And you can go through first round draft picks, second round draft picks, veterans, you can keep sight, but permutations.
Speaker 2: This is why I'm a little surprised that you're so pro quarterback early, because you look, you're not gonna find rock Perty in the seventh round, right, you can't. That's an aspect that But if you take a little bit more of a deliberate approach to this, and you do draft the tackle or you do draft Marvin Harrison junior, and you just admit to yourselves that you're probably two or three years away from really being able to drop a quarterback in and have it all be ready to go. My biggest fear is and maybe they get away with it by sitting the guy for a little bit. Maybe they get away with it.
Speaker 1: By signing bone Nicks. He's twenty four.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe not Bonnicks, But I'm talking about a first round pick, right, I'm talking about a guy at three. Like, maybe you you draft Jaden Daniels, you sign Gardner Minshew, and the plan is really to sit Jaden Daniels at least for the first half of the year unless he comes out in training camp and is just an absolutely dynamic player and you're like, this guy's too good to keep off the field. But in general, I we've always kind of uh trophied the the Niners, right, Like that's not the right word, but you know what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: And my whole plan about you get the you build all the pieces, you find the net neutral quarterback, you drop into it.
Speaker 2: Now you're saying the opposite.
Speaker 1: Because I don't think they have the therey. There was a window that they had to do that that windows passed. If they're gonna do that now you're talking about three four, five years, are you putting you know? After moving on from Bill Belichick. Are you willing to be mediocre for three or four years? Have drawed Meyo's coaching career. Start being mediocre for three or four years before you really get going. That thing takes time. When you had Brady and you had a chance to put some pieces around him, there was an opportunity to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll just look at it. And the other thing I was, I look at the Houston Texans. Yeah, And as much as I want to say, and I have said in the past, that they just drop c J. Stroud into that team and he and now they're in the divisional round. Yeah, the Nick cass Ario, the ultimately Nick Cassio has been there for like three or four years and he has already started to build. He started to build everything else around to drop that quarterback in. Now they stunk and they still had the second overall pick in the draft to take CJ. Stroud, which means that you have to have some patience. And I'm with you. I don't think that they're gonna want to have patience. I think they're gonna want Rodmeyo to work out right out of the gate. They're gonna spend money like crazy. This offseason and they're gonna throw a lot of research just since I think slow can strata elevated that group. Do they have that elite receiver? Do they have a Marvin Harrison junior type wide receiver?
Speaker 1: They don't. They have Laramie Tunzel, who's a good player. Yeah, the rest of their line is fine. It's fine.
Speaker 2: They writ it out all this year. But that's a scheme that that usually gets a lot out of it.
Speaker 1: They they got, you know, they hit on some running backs, a late draft pick and a kind of free agent wash out who they were able to reinvigorate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, people are pointed to the Texans. Is that blueprint of if you just give it a couple of years people in Houston won Casario gone. Oh last offseason like they weren't building towards anything. They hit a home run on the quarterback and the coordinator. That's what they did. And that's when you when So when you say the Texans are the blueprint, I would agree, but it's not the blueprint in the sense of, oh, yeah, just take some time to build this. No, if you go, if you believe in the quarterback and you take them, it can do wonders because they'll elevate everybody else. So I still believe. I still believe in the net neutral quarterback plan. For the record, I do. I do still truly believe in that. I just think time and place and setting it doesn't make sense for the Patriots right now. It did at one point when they drafted Mac Jones. It made a lot of sense because it was Okay, you have this quarterback on a rookie contract, you have all this cab space, you have future draft capital, and they just didn't use it now because they already had some pieces in place. They had that big twenty twenty one offseason. They had had, you know, a decent draft in twenty twenty with guys like Kyle Dugger, guys like Josh Ucha, guys like Mike O and Wenthu. They're not coming in with as much now, they're not coming in with as much. So I think that's why you gotta be aggressive to get the quarterback.
Speaker 2: So the other thing I mentioned about Lombardi, Mike Lombardi was on his podcast and I thought he made a really good point there. In case he didn't know, Alex, there's a Twitter X Conversations Patriots Twitter about what it means to be a modern offense.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of like, I don't think this is I think this conversation is about you.
Speaker 2: And partially uh, you know, and like this buzzword right of modern offense, he rubs people the wrong way. And I thought that Lombardi really summed up what all of us that believe that the Patriots need to modernize their offense. He kind of got to the crux of it really well, and that is he said that the Patriots offense is built on first reaction precision, right like in structure play, this happens you do X, that happens you do why you know, first read, second read, third read, make a throw on time with accuracy, in rhythm nowadays, and especially when you look at this quarterback class, that's not how quarterbacks play anymore, right, quarterback play nowadays. And Patrick Mahomes was on the Manning Cast and like one of the only good things to come out of the Manning Cast was Patrick Mahomes talking to Peyton Manning about how it's changed for quarterbacks, how teams want the quarterbacks to read the field. When Peyton was playing, he said that it was full field progression right right, like you got from one all the way to your checkdown, and that was just how they wanted you to run the offense. Now it's more like one, maybe a second read and then do something right, make something happen, run around and make something happen. And the running around and make something happen, you know, initial decision not there to make something happen. Type of offense is the total antithesis of the Patriots offense. And that's why I look at these young quarterbacks and I especially Caleb and Jaden Daniels, but even Drake May who likes to be a little bit of a playmaker as well, out of structure, off platform, you know, move and extend plays, create time with his legs and make throws down the field. That type of stuff. They need to figure out a way to adapt their offense to that style of play. Well that would be That's where every quarterback in this draft, asides maybe bo Nix is headed. Like even JJ McCarthy, who we both don't like, and for all of his flaws, he's still one of those guys that likes to use his legs and likes to get outside the pocket and make throws on the run. So no matter who you're drafting out of this class, and I think moving forward that's just going to be the case. I don't think you're gonna draft like Shador Sanders at the top of the draft next year and expect him to run the Tom Brady offense right Like he's gonna want to use his mobility and use his instincts and use his playmaking gene as well. So that's where with modern offense with where they need to go. A lot of it is surrounded by the quarterback position, and a lot of these new offenses are encouraging that are not only encouraging it, but building in like schematic answers to allow quarterbacks to do that, like they're.
Speaker 1: Off structured chaos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their off script is scripted, right, and that I think is a much different thing than what the Patriots are currently doing. And if they draft a guy like Jayden Daniels third, overall, they absolutely are gonna have to adapt to that style.
Speaker 1: Well, this is my point too. Let's wait and see. Like, maybe they do bring back Josh McDaniels, this has been reported. I think he's gonna go with Bill, but I understand why Gerrodmeya would like him. Let's see what they do at offensive coordinator. It's still a little like I hate that we've had to put this caveaut and everything right every time we talk about the draft. Well, who's coaching the team, who's building the team right? How many times have we done that? We're almost the finish line, we're so close, but.
Speaker 2: We need the coaching staff, dun Let's let's maybe we can go down the hall.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can go down the hall. And I don't know. I didn't see I didn't see Bobby slow walking in the building when I got here today. So oh, he'd be a head guy. He's not gonna be an offense coordinator, I do. I Actually I'm curious your thoughts on that. We've talked a little bit. I think we've talked about this. The two guys who are under slowk and Houston, and one of those guys, especially Ben McDaniels, who is Josh's younger brother, who was their passing game coordinator.
Speaker 2: So Slok himself is really young in inexperienced. That's like it's kind of like draw it right, Like that's like the only knock on him as a head coaching candidate is his an experience. So I don't know how much experience his other coordinators have.
Speaker 1: Ben's forty three, Ben's been assistance.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, yeah, Like Ben McDaniel's an interesting name, Like I wish that we could like not have a McDaniels or an O'Brien or Patricia. But if he, like, why do can we go a little bit further outside?
Speaker 1: If he coordinated Houston's passing game.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, yeah, I guess, I don't know. I mean, I give a lot of that credit to Slock, Like I just I look at it similarly to like what's going on with the Eagles right now.
Speaker 1: But wasn't Mike McDaniel's passing game coordinator in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Run game coordinator. But yes, yes, it's a fair point. They I look at the Eagles and I look at their situation right now as as something to like be aware of, and that is they lose both coordinators and it falls apart right like, and especially on offense, like Shane Steiken walks out the door to Indy. He makes Gardner Minshew like a viable starting quarterback for a season, and Jalen Hurts has completely fallen off. And I think that that's the even when Houston, like Tamiko Ryans, I think, is a really really good head coach on the defensive side of the ball, good defensive mind, good motivator, all that kind of stuff. But when Bobby Slowek leaves to coach his own team in a year or this even maybe this cycle, next cycle, what's going to happen to CJ. Stroud, what's going to happen to the Texans offense? Because history tells us that that offense might fall apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so then you want like Frank Reich as the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, Like, you know, there's no perfect answer because like either you're taking guys that are older, that have are kind of established in their ways, like a Frank Rye, like an O'Brien, like a McDaniels, or you're taking a chance on like a Zach Robinson, who, if he hits it out of the park, is going to be a head coach in two years. And ideally, I think I would go to Zach Robinson route and hope that he then nurtures somebody, you know, mentors somebody in the building, and then it's a you know, it's a passing of the torch. Kind of like Wiss to McDaniels was versus starting all over in a new system. But the Eagles tried that with Brian Johnson as their offensive coordinator when Steiken left, and it didn't work. You know, Brian Johnson is not as good as Shane Stikeen. He's not as good as a coach, and so they their offense is completely fallen apart. It's it's a tough spot to be in. And you know, this is why we talked so much about hiring an offensive minded head coach, is because this is where you're at right as much as Girod is. You know, everybody's excited for the Girod Mayo era. Like, the offensive coordinator is a major, major question mark. Probably. I think the offensive coordinator is big of a question mark with his team as the general manager is. It's because that's the guy that's gonna be developing the guy, right, Like, that's the guy that's going to be coaching the quarterback, developing the quarterback, building a system around the quarterback. And if you're gonna take a quarterback at three and hand him to an inexperienced, defensive minded head coach, you better have somebody on the offense side of the ball that knows what he's doing, and it's that that's probably my biggest concern out of all of this. Let's get back to the phones. Roy is in Natick. What's up? Roy?
Speaker 1: Wait? Hang on? Two players, sorry, Roy? The two players that uh, oh my god, Okay, go Like Tory Horton went back to school, so I really liked him, but he's out. And then the tackle from Missouri. I haven't gotten to uh watch a ton of Javon Foster. I like Missouri's offense as a whole as good offense. I thought they blocked well as a whole. I gotta focus in more on him individually. But he'll be at Senior Bowl so a guy will learn more about then.
Speaker 2: Okay, Roy, go ahead. Sorry, we had to talk about two udfas before we took your call.
Speaker 1: I mean, Tory Horton is gonna be a or it's gonna be a top one hundred. Pick.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Roy.
Speaker 6: You'd like to propose a trade with the Vikings? Okay, first overall?
Speaker 2: Pick the Viking? Do you mean the Bears?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: I would like to propose a trade where we send ke On Wright mac Jones. Who else?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Viderian Lowe and a and a draft pick for the first overall draft pick.
Speaker 2: What do you think for the Bears first overall pick?
Speaker 1: No for the Vikings. He's saying for the Vikings first round pick.
Speaker 2: Do you get it?
Speaker 6: Viderian low and ke On White? Uh No, I mean we correct all the mistakes of the last three years in one trade.
Speaker 4: White a mistake, Well, well, I would rather have taken an offensive tackle there, I mean, and that's what I would do with the Vikings pick is pick a tackle.
Speaker 1: Okay, that doesn't mean you get rid of good players three So you're you're going to give the Vikings three players who aren't starting caliber and a project defensive end. You think you're getting the eleventh overall pick for that.
Speaker 4: It's more of a joke, just making sure who.
Speaker 6: Was the first overall talented don't you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he could have been a first round pick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, honestly, I mean, you know, these are the players that Bill made a mistake on right White instead of taking an offensive tackle, Mac Jones instead of you know, waiting for on a quarterback.
Speaker 6: So I mean, I mean, you know we could clear all that and mess up in one trade.
Speaker 2: Okay, I get the point, thanks for the Colroy, that's not you're not getting a first round pick for that package. And Venerian Lowe was traded or cut by the Vikings right to the Patriots last offseason. Yeah, so he's already been in that building. So I don't know where that trade came from.
Speaker 1: Well, let's trade. Uh, let's trade who do they still have the rights to. Let's let's trade. Uh, you know James Fair and who else was on the practice squad and all those guys will see be nice. It's the old, the old Madden thing that used to be a glitterer. If you just put enough players in the trade, you could get a first pick.
Speaker 2: So his point though, of some of these guys that he feels that Bill made a mistake. Yeah, like Vaderian Lowe, Let's just like call Vaderian low what he was. Vadarian Lowe was like their sixth tackle that had to play. Like that wasn't like Bill Belichick traded for Vederia. I think they traded for him, right, I keep saying that, But that's not like they traded for Verderian Lowe thinking that he was Joe Thomas right, right, Like it just that one was a depth acquisition. They needed depth in bodies at that position and he was available. That's all that was. What did you make of you know, to get back to like real real world, not La la land. Yeah, what what did you make of Mac being there yesterday?
Speaker 1: You know, he's always he's always sounded pretty supportive. I thought that was interesting, and he definitely seems like the kind of guy that he's going to fight for the job as long as he has a chance to fight for it. You know, maybe he does ultimately end up getting traded. Maybe he doesn't know his future, but I do think he still wants to be a starting quarter I mean I think he wants to be a starting quarterback anywhere. But this is the team he currently plays for. It's a good show is support for the coach, and I think he did it to kind of show like, hey, I'm still invested. Yeah, if I'm still on your roster, I'm still invested. I'm still bought in. I think that's what that was. Maybe it was a little bit of something that Bill too, that he's there for the new guy, but I kind of took it as as in it like I'm not taking my ball and going home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Yeah, I don't think he's ever really that type of stuff. I've never really questioned with Mac Jones right commitment, work ethic. You know, he the last couple off seasons and I'm assuming this one because he was there yesterday, he stayed local and has worked out at the facility. Right, He's done his off season training at the facility. He's throwing you know, on the practice fields, on the bubble, you know, things like that with his with his people. So he's done a lot of his work. You know, it's not like he's one of these, especially him. You know, he's from the Florida Jacksonville area. It's not like he's going home to Florida and working out there all off season. He's He's stayed local and stayed here, So I'm not surprised that he's local or that he's here for that.
Speaker 1: Well, he might also, I mean John Jones flew up, Yeah, but no himself. I just wanted to mention that John Jones is the pilot, flew himself up.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure that Mac is.
Speaker 1: It would make sense that he'd be local. But yeah, no, I think it was a show of support. I think it was him showing he still bought in, which doesn't surprise me. Now, buying only gets you so far. And if he actually does want to stay and win the job, he's got to improve on a lot of things that went wrong for him last year. I'm not saying he showed up at the press conference he's going to be the starting quarterback week one, but I think he was saying, like, hey, I like you know, I think a lot of people expected him to he lost his starting job last year and just kind of ride off into the sunset. I don't think that's going to be his mentality. I think as long as he's here, he's going to fight for the job. And if he gets traded, he'll fight for the job wherever he gets traded to.
Speaker 2: That'll be fascinating if they draft the quarterback, And it would be very bad if they draft a quarterback at three overall and Macjones beats him, beats him out in training camp, But it would be very interesting if it is at least an argument that Mac Jones or even Bailey z Happy for that matter, is playing better next summer than the quarterback that they draft.
Speaker 1: Well, would make it interesting. And we kind of did this with Mac and Cam you're talking about two different offense whoever they draft. You just touched on it that whoever they draft in the first round, if they draft Bo Knicks, it's going to be similar. But I also think Mac Jones could be out Bo Nicks as a rookie. If they drafting those top thre guys, is going to be completely different offense. So then you run into that thing because remember Max's rookie year, he didn't really run the offense he was gonna run in camp. He ran like a modified version of the Cam Newton offense with the second string, and then they kind of had to rewrite the thing in the whole two weeks before the start of the season. So it definitely would be interesting in that regard. But I think if they take a quarterback in the first round, Mac Jones won't be here at the start camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that would make the most sense. I think it just adds a lot of Now you have two first round pokes on your roster, and both that you drafted, and it's just.
Speaker 1: We talked a lot with Mac about, you know, stop making it hard for him, start, stop giving them all these mental tests. Same thing with the new guy and Frankly, it's not fair to either of them. It's bad for the development. Not that they should necessarily care about Mac Joe's development, who's not going to be here, but it's not good for either guy if they're both in the building, if they draft a quarterback in the first round, they have to move on from Mac.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that. All right. Hector is in Maine. What's up, Hector? Hey guys.
Speaker 8: First, I'm looking to the show, really enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Great, Thank you.
Speaker 8: So, Uh, the only thing I want to bring up when it comes to quarterback and looking around the league, I think it'd be a viable trade to maybe offer the Bears a third for field. They're not hurting with draft picks, they have the first through their trade, and I think we'd get a league and quarterback that is not he's had I think similar issues to Mac where he's had different coaches and coordinators over the years, and we'd get I think a better opportunity to win than drafting our quarterback because it didn't work out with Mac, and historically drafted quarterback it's hit or myth, So I why take the shot and put weapons around field?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, Jake thanks for the call, Hector. This is gonna be a popular question. Yeah, about Justin Fields. I think the biggest thing with Justin Fields is that you're gonna have to pay him, right, So it's not just you know, Mac has fifth year option decisions this offseason, so is Justin Fields right? So yes, you get him for one year on the fourth year of his rookie deal at an affordable cost, But as soon after that it's gonna go up and up and up, and if he ends up playing well, then you don't really care what you pay him. Right, if you're paying him forty five million dollars a year to be a franchise quarterback than what difference is, But.
Speaker 1: The whole putting talent around him kind of comes off the table for the most part, for the most I mean, yeah, the cap can be maneuvered, but yeah, because there's so much value in having a quarterback on a rookie contract and you're punting on essentially really four years of that three years, but kind of four years of it if you add Justin Fields. Does Justin Fields have some upside? Yes? Absolutely? Yeah, But now maybe it's so I I don't know how I feel about this. I had the thought, and then I kind of didn't like it. Would you trade mac Jones and maybe like a fourth for Justin Fields, and Justin Fields becomes your bridge guy for Jaydon Daniels or Drake May and he gets a chance to showcase what he can do, and then if he's good, great, you trade him and it's another guy you get to put around whichever quarterback. Now, it's kind of like what the Niners as I'm saying, and it's very dangerously close to Trey Land. So I'm gonna retract that and say nevermind. But I just yeah, part of the value in drafting the quarterback. And again, I know it's scary. Like he said, you get a league proven quarterback if it's Remember I said the other the thing the other day about the quarterback carousel. There's one hundred doors and behind ninety nine of them is nothing but darkness and nothingness and despair and terror. And you don't know which door you're opening. That's where we are. That being said, you got to open the door. You gotta open, and you gotta rip the band aid off, and you gotta just do it because the upside if you hit on the quarterback is so so so much higher than you know, I think the upside maybe with Justin Fields it's a little higher, but you know, and a guy like Kirk Cousins or I don't think Baker's gonna be available. Baker's the one veteran I would consider. But if the Bucks don't resign Baker, people should be fired. Like that's simple.
Speaker 2: The Bucks, Baker's franchise town right, No.
Speaker 1: He'll be there. But the whole thing about like a veteran, veteran quarterback or whatever the ceiling for that you're you're talking about Kirk Cousins. This isn't I feel like people, and I've given this take before, but I feel like people saw there was this run in the last decade of quarterback like superstar quarterbacks moving late in their careers, and started with Peyton when he went to Denver, and then you see a guy like Brady leave, and to some lesser extents, you had Rivers, you had Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson. That happened because there was such a surplus of quarterback talent in the NFL, and not just there were more good quarterbacks than there had ever been. They were all playing into their late thirties and early forties, and it there was just a surplus at this position that's not supposed to happen. That's over, that's done. Wilson was the last one. I don't know who else from that, like, who were the veteran quarterbacks that would move. The next true established starting quarterback that might move is Trevor Lawrence. But if he does that, he probably had a pretty bad year next year.
Speaker 2: I also think that he's moving more so because the Jaguars are a dumpster fire, like just because.
Speaker 1: That's but the idea that like, oh well, look the Bucks traded for for Brady and it worked, and even you can say, you know, Rivers got the Colts to the playoffs. It wasn't great, but Rivers got the Colts of the playoffs and right things like that. The ceiling on that kind of move now with the guys were available is Geno Smith and the Seahawks, And that's been a fun story. And I'm happy for Gino that he's, you know, playing well in all of that.
Speaker 2: Happy for him.
Speaker 1: Where are they happy for the guy? Where are they? Where are the Seahawks right now?
Speaker 2: Sending Pete Carrol upstairs.
Speaker 1: Exactly so it's because you have to pay the guy. There isn't as much room for development. A lot of these times the older a lot of the times the older quarterbacks are set in their ways. So if you're not a scheme in like justin fields is a little different, but it's still that idea where like you're gonna have to pay him and his development windows kind of closing, like he's there, who he is, it's like paying him.
Speaker 2: And then also that that last part, like it is a lot of his flaws right now as a past are very similar to Jayden Daniels's flaws as a passer. So why wouldn't you take the younger, cheaper version, Like why would you.
Speaker 1: You have more time to develop?
Speaker 2: The only difference is is like I get the caller's point, and.
Speaker 1: We just I would just say before people. Yet they're gonna say, oh, Jade Daniels only a year younger. Justin fields, football years, it's different. Well, it's it's just contractual years, you're well, it's also football years. I think if you've been in the NFL for a certain amount of time and you haven't adjusted, that's a sign that you're not going to adjust. Jade Daniels is still more multiple, He still more of a piece of play than a guy like Justin Fields.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously the Devil's advocate is that now you're not using your first round pick on a quarterback. So the first round pick becomes Marvin Harrison Junior becomes Joeall and now you're getting a guy with a little bit of a higher ceiling than Mac Jones at the quarterback position, and you're still and you're getting a big time player at the top of the draft. Whereas if you just take Jayden Daniels, you just have Jaden Daniels. So would you rather Justin Fields and Marvin Harrison Junior or Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 1: I'd rather Jane Daniels and T Higgins or Jane Daniels and Mike Evans. And that's where that comes in, Like they got to be willing to spend to make this work. And that was the big misstep. And this was in I think that again I'm getting all of these inside look pieces mixed up because there were so many of them. I believe it was Jeff Howe who wrote about this about you know, they drafted Mac Jones and didn't really do anything after that, they didn't really invest in the offense. They used a first round pick on a guard, they used a second round pick on a receiver. They traded a third round pick for a receiver. That was really it in terms of premium editions. Pop Douglass was a hit, but he's a sixth round pick. Kendrick Bourne was nice, but he wasn't highly paid. Even you know, Nelson Aglore was not highly paid. I know people thought they game a lot of money. They made him the twenty third highest paid receiver in football when they signed him. That's not a premium edition. I say all of this about the quarterback hoping that this time it's different and they get aggressive and adding pass catching talent.
Speaker 2: Fast guys the draft, fast guys, no I want.
Speaker 1: I want good players, So draft good players. I'm hoping or signed good players. Frankly, I'm hoping they get more aggressive and putting the talent around the quarterback this time. But that to me is the big part, and for what it sort, I still think you can get an impact receiver on Day two in this draft. I still think you can get an impact tackle in the second round. I don't know about the third round, but I still think you can do that. Maybe not gonna be a perennial All Pro like Joe Balt, but they're certainly gonna be good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I the receivers in this class especially, I think the depth of this class is as deep as I've ever seen real It's there might be like twenty receivers taken in the first three rounds.
Speaker 1: I've said this seven I've said this to you. There are guys that are probably gonna go early on Day two. I look at the two Texas guys in particular, Savior Worthy in ad Mitchell. Both of those guys are either wide receiver one or wide receiver two for me last year, Like, those are guys I'm taking last year top twenty, and they're gonna go probably outside of the first round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even like a guy you know, I really like Roman Wilson a lot from Michigan. Yeah, he's gonna be in play with the Patriots third round pick probably right.
Speaker 1: And you know what, if you miss him, you get Jermain Burton from Alabama, who very similar player. It's gonna be a fourth round pick.
Speaker 2: Roman Wilson's got some Aman Ross Saint Brown vibes.
Speaker 1: You think so? Yeah, I feel like he's much faster.
Speaker 2: I think he's got some aman Ross.
Speaker 1: I I kind of see where you're coming from. But like, I think he's more explosive. No, uh, I don't think he's a shifty I think he's more fast than quick.
Speaker 2: I think that I think in the NFL he'll be more quick than he is fast because I think those types of guys. I don't think that Roman Wilson has like two true top end speed, but in the college game he does, you know, like a guy like Pop Douglas really like he's really really fast, but in short bursts right like in the league he's not Tyreek Hill, He's not He's not taking the top up at Liberty, he was taking the top.
Speaker 1: I have another aman Ross Saint Brown komp in this draft is Jacob Colling from Arizona. You'll see him at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was I was a big not to like toot my own horn like, but I was a big armine. And uh, those types of guys, the crafty guys that still have enough athleticism, speed burst agility like those are they. And I always gravitate towards and I've always said it's like take Jacoby Flowers. Take Jacoby Myers. Yeah, but first or second round Jacoby Myers, right, like, don't take the guy that was a quarterback to start thenning receiver then ran a four seven. Well that me is take the four or five Jacoby Myers.
Speaker 1: That to me is Jalen Polk from Washington. Yeah. I love him too, yeah, he he. I don't think he's as as heady as Jacoby was, at least not yet. But his like, I know he had the big game against Texas where he was catching all these downfield passes. But I look at him, I see a guy that can be an elite chain mover in the NFL. In elite, you know, third and six, he's gonna get open. He's gonna find a way to get open at seven yards. He's got very reliable hands, he's got a good catch radius. He yeah, he's kind of that Jacoby guide. I mean maybe he's a little more explosive, doesn't necessarily read the field as well. But there's some interesting slot guy that's and that's the other thing. Like last year, remember it was all slot guys. Yeah, it was all js zay we were talking about. I mean, Quentin Johnson was the one kind of X. But told you Eldrew this this year, guy's got what what do you want? Describe a receiver and there's a guy or more. There might be two or three in the top one hundred that fit that description. It's a very diverse group. It's a very deep group. This is a very, very, very good I remember saying last year is a bad year to need a receiver, and people say, oh, you always say that, Not this year, not this year. And you look at the free agency class too, This is a good year to need a receiver. This is a buyer's market if you need a receiver.
Speaker 2: I think that that could also. It's not gonna impact like the t higgins Is of the world. Yeah, he's still gonna get paid, as my voice is going out, but I think that it will impact sort of like the Kendrick Bournes of free agency. And I love Kendrick Bourne. I'm not trying to like take his money from him, right, But with Kendrick Bourne, that type of player, I think a lot of teams are gonna look at it and say, we can just get Kendrick Bourn in the fourth or third round in this draft, Like why are we gonna pay Kendrick Bourne twelve million dollars year when we can just draft it for for a quarter of the price. The Patriots probably shouldn't operate like that just because of their developmental history at the position. But teams that are really good at developing receivers, I think that they're gonna look at guys like you know, in that mid tier free agency class at the position, and they're gonna say, this draft, we can just kind of draft that guy. So Kendrick Bourne's value might not be as high as it would be in other years.
Speaker 1: The guy like Thrash from Louisville.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, uh, you mentioned Polk, you mentioned I love both Texas guys, but I feel like they're gonna go. You're gonna have to take one of those guys at thirty four at the at the lowest.
Speaker 1: I'd be okay with that.
Speaker 2: It depends on what you do attack, I guess, yeah, yeah, that's this tackle class drops off, and if you don't take a tackle at thirty four, I'm worried.
Speaker 1: That you're you're probably gonna miss it. I mean you could trade up, you could get aggressive and trade up.
Speaker 2: God forbid, you know you do you actually trade.
Speaker 1: There's other guys that like further down Malachai Cory's an interesting one from Western Kentucky. He put up massive numbers. I don't want to say a wide receiver. Bailey's appy, but there is a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: That's not gonna sell people.
Speaker 1: I know it's not. It's just so easy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I don't eve remember what kind of receiver we were talking about.
Speaker 2: I was just well, so, I guess this is my other question too, as we get into this, is that I think if you look at them historically, yeah, and I get that it's not Bill anymore, and we maybe maybe we get lucky and this changes.
Speaker 1: How this is again, tell me who's coordinating.
Speaker 2: Right, maybe the new coordinator, new wide receiver coach, like they go to all of a sudden being the Pittsburgh Steelers. I don't know, right, but the position that they have struggled with the most is obviously the X spot right, the true perimeter outside receiver. They've been able to get the inside guys like Jacoby Myers, Pop Douglas, you know, even Kedrick Bourne right Like, they've been able to get those z slock guys and have get guys to produce in that spot. That's why I feel like, if you're gonna go as much as I love, you know, some of these x's in this class, like like an ad Mitchell, who I think is a really really intriguing player early on Day two, but as much as I like those types of guys, if you're gonna go that direction, I feel like paying the proven commodity for the Patriots at outside receivers like a T Higgins, even like a Michael Pittman, Like I'm not paying Michael Pittman as much as T Higgins, but those types of guys, and then supplementing that with a Day two draft pick at the position that's more your type of guy that fits more what you do. I think that that's probably the smartest way for them to go. Pittman. Obviously, I know you like Mike Evans. I'm a little bit worried about him falling off, But Mike Evans, I think is a potential.
Speaker 1: I think if it's Mike Evans, you draft more of a kind of X Z hybrid, and then you give Evans a year or two while that guy truly develops that you draft Mike Evans, you take a more developmenttal guy in the third round. You have Evans here for like two or three years, and then you hope that whoever you drafted is ready to take over as your true wide receiver one when Mike Evans is out. But I'd say with Higgins, you have Higgins at t X, right, Yeah, you have Pop Douglas in the slot, so you're looking at probably like his type receiver. Jalen McMillan from Washington's an interesting guy in that regard. You can probably get him in the third round. I'm not ready to say I'm in on Ricky pier Saw yet. I need to see more of them. Guy from Florida. Yeah, he is interesting. He makes a ton of highlight catches. There's a ton of if I say highlight routes, does that make sense, yep? Where like he runs some routes where he just I mean the defenders nowhere nearby.
Speaker 2: That that's it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I need to watch the I just I don't know how consistently he does it, Like I didn't watch Florida enough. I haven't gotten him yet. He'll be at the Senior Bowl. But like Ricky pier Saw is a guy like sort of again saying this not having watched him a ton sort of Kendrick bourneish where you can he can do a lot of different things and he'll pop and he's got some big playability. Like you put that kind of guy with T Higgins and Pop Douglas and that kind of interests me.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned guys that run highlight routes versus like guys that just somehow put up stats that don't are in a flash.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's like something like I like catch, right, a guy a spectacular catch. The guy you see him, he's always losting people one hand of grabs or diving catches the route equivalent of that, where like I would watch him in like like he's putting the defender on the floor, like he's just losing guys in the route, things like that.
Speaker 2: So I watched. I finished up the six quarterbacks, right, I did JJ McCarthy. I tough threugh it okay, but when are you going to watch Joe Milton? Probably not till like April. But I I also did the top three receivers, Marvin Harrison obviously neighbors and a Dunez and Marvin Harrison. Like I'm gonna put Marvin Harrison in this draft conversation in his own category. I just don't think he's he's his own thing, so we're really studying is like more the Neighbors, A Dune say, Keon Coleman, Like that sort of tear is when I say this Milik Neighbors is the flashiest guy by far.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, he's an LC receiver.
Speaker 2: His burst in all in all ways, like his ability to change speeds, whether it's tracking the ball in the air and pulling away as he's tracking it, or it's like a little stutter and go and then all of a sudden he hits the gas at the top of the stem and it's just like gone. His ability to create separation and do that is is freaky rare, freaky rare. A duneesay, you know who. He reminds me a little bit of I've said Stefan Diggs. But that's not bad. I don't find that. I was gonna say DeAndre Hopkins, like I feel like he's not that is he that big?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: He's DeAndre Hopkins isn't like DeAndre Hopkins is like tough, you know. I Digs is a good.
Speaker 1: Copy doxfly Oh Dune says six.
Speaker 2: Y three, I don't know if he's that tall. We'll see at the combine.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what Like I think Hopkins like six ' five, like he's got the Hawkins, not sixty five. Hawkins is six five?
Speaker 2: Am I thinking of no Hawkins like six two six one six two?
Speaker 1: Is that it? I thought? I just thought of him as tall? Uh.
Speaker 2: The reason why I bring the reason why I bring up Hopkins, I think that Hopkins is tougher at the catchpoint than a Dune. Say, yeah, but I think the difference what I see with them is that I don't necessarily see like tons of separation on the film, but he makes all this like initial separation and then like there's enough of it that if you put it in his catcher eighty is just he just muscles in and makes the catch. And that type of guy I don't find quite as intriguing as like the flashier guys, because I'm all about separation, like who's gonna get open for me at the top of the route. A Dune's is just one of those guys that it doesn't pop off the film necessarily at you. But then you look at the box score and he had like one hundred and eighty yards in the game and you're just kind of like, how did that happen?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I feel like Diggs is maybe a little bit better than him at the top of the route, but I feel like Hopkins is someone that is similar, Like Hopkins probably has more highlight reel like one handed acrobatic type of catches, but just in terms of the route running, is like is he that fast? Like is he really pulling away from people and all of a sudden he's got like one hundred and fifty yards?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I feel that way about it. Douneesa Milik Neighbors is I don't know how or why it would make sense for the Patriots to draft a Duneesay or Neighbors just based off of where they're gonna go, right, talking about probably like the five to ten range for both of those guys, and it's like, not real, you're.
Speaker 1: Taking a receiver at that point. Just take Harrison a three.
Speaker 2: And you're like trading down to take Melik Nabor like it may I just don't really see how that works, but I thought I would just mention that because I did watch both of you guys.
Speaker 1: Watch so it's funny. Hopkins and again in my mind, Hopkins was taller, but Hopkins is my comfort. Key On Coleman just like elite jump ball catch point receiver.
Speaker 2: I could see that Keon Coleman terrifies me. I know he does, but doesn't create enough separation for me new era like okay, but the one.
Speaker 1: Hand Coleman is the guy. I talked about this.
Speaker 2: In the NFL off of one handed catches.
Speaker 1: That's just I talk about this all the time, natural separation. Keon Coleman sixty five with massive arms. He's a freak at You throw the ball up the corners, not getting where Keon Coleman's getting to. You throw throw the ball out wide, the corner can't reach where Keon Coleman can reach to get the ball.
Speaker 2: So aren't you like more describing T Higgins? I guess probably, yeah, like to like that's how I feel.
Speaker 1: There's there's probably more T Higgins. That's fair. Yeah. Yeah. Did you get a chance to watch Brian Thomas?
Speaker 2: Not yet, but I did watch him, Like obviously I'm watching the neighbors, but you have to, like, I have to watch the guy specifically. No, I watched all of these games for Jayden Daniels and now I'm rewatching all of the same games.
Speaker 1: No, I know, but I guess the reason I bring up Thomas is we just talked about you know, do you go it? And you're probably not getting Thomas at thirty four, but trading back up into the end of the first round. Maybe because people have talked about he's the sneaky forgotten guy right in this class you get Daniels, Can you pair him? People have asked, you know, can you pair Daniels with Neighbors? That's not not not gonna happen. Can you pair Daniels with Thomas? That's very realistic. Yeah, And Thomas is, like you said, forgotten. I think he's one of these guys, and you love to highlight these guys. Everybody's looking at Malik Neighbors, so Thomas probably isn't getting the hype.
Speaker 2: Take guy.
Speaker 1: Me watching. I'm with him on this one. I'm with him on this one.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying Tom I understand it too.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying Thomas as good as Neighbors. And I'm curious to you you you're better at receivers than me, but I'm curious to get your riad on Thomas because I think he's he's more of the prototypical X. But he's fast and he'd be an interesting guy. You put him and Pop Douglas on the field together, you got a ton of speed. But he gives you a sign. He's not the biggest guy. He's not t Higgas, He's not the biggest guy in the world, but he gives you some size in that. In that sense, he does separate. I mean he's an l C receiver. He does separate.
Speaker 2: YEA god that that school just like I mean, Neighbors is a dude. That guy is unreal. I the comp that I think.
Speaker 1: Is he is the best LSU receiver you've watched. No, he's not, because I know how much you love Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 2: And I and I think Jamar Chase was better than him. Okay, but I think that Jamar Chase is a decent comp from Malik Neighbors. I see a lot of similarities. They're actually like almost identically the same size. They're both like six one two hundred. I look at both. I think Malik Neighbors has a little bit more of a top gear than Jamar Chase, and Jamar Chase is probably a little bit better at the catch point, But from like a body type standpoint, it's probably the LSU thing a little bit, I'll admit that. But I look at those two Marvin Harrison Junior. If you put Marvin Harrison Junior in a Raiders uniform with a number seventeen, I would not be able to tell the difference between him and DeVante Adams. They run, They're literally the same person. It's it's crazy, like has anybody ever seen them in the same room together. I'm not sure, Like they are so identical, it's not even funny, like they can both play. Every thing about Marvin Harrison Junior that I think makes them so ridiculous is that he's everything all in one. He is an outside perimeter receiver and a slot receiver, and he can do He can win in both areas. He can win inside, he can win outside, he can win at the first two levels. He can win down the field. He can win with speed, he can win with quickness. Like that's Devanta Adams like he's He's very very similar. His route releases are refined and very difficult, a lot like Davante Adams. He creates so much early separation in the stem just by releasing off the line of scrimmage and the way he sets up angles and things like that. He's the best receiver I've ever watched in college.
Speaker 1: Better than Jefferson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, better than Jefferson. Jefferson was different, right, Jefferson.
Speaker 1: Do you think Devant Adams is the best receiver in the league.
Speaker 2: I would say that it's between him and Tyreek Kill. Yeah, Like Tyra Kill has probably got the best superpower in the league.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: But I think in terms of like complete receivers, what makes Adams and guys like Adams and Marvin Harrison Junior so special to me is their ability to play every single spot. They can line up anywhere, Like he can line up one, two, and three, inside slot, outside slot X, Like he can line up all over the formation. Uh, you know, Like he can just as easily beat you on a slant as he can beat you on on a go ball down the sideline. Like that is Tyreek Kill is his own thing, like because of his speed. But the only other guy that I can think of that does that is Devonte Adams. So this brings I guess we'll just talk about it because we're gonna talk about it for the next six months or four months. I keep saying six, it's really only four. Uh, everybody, everybody in my mentions and my replies, Alex is telling me that they should just draft Marvin Harrison junior. That's that's the that's the hot, that's the take right now, right like, don't make a mistake, don't take the quarterback. Take Marvin Harrison junior because he's the best player. That's a take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I get it, especially with their history wide receiver. You see a guy who's potentially can't miss, and it's like, all right, here we go. You know, finally they're gonna have a good receiver. I would say he's not. And here's a big point people make, Well, Harrison Junior is a guarantee. The quarterbacks aren't guarantees. Harrison Junior may be less likely to be a bust, but no prospects are guarantee. No, not one prospect is a guarantee. Not one prospect has ever been a guarantee. They're still inherent risk with it. And are is Marvin Harrison, you know, Patriots development proofers? Is it the other way around or are they that awful?
Speaker 2: Well, so I don't think they need he needs to be developed, Like I think that he's as ready as any receiver I've ever seen. But but but I think the differences and you know, like this time of year, those like memes start going around right where it's like a quarterback getting killed in the pocket as Marvin Harrison Junior is standing like jumping up and down, or it's like the quarterback is very well protected, Marvin Harrison Junior is wide open, but it's like Bailey's appy. Yeah, so wait, which one would you rather? And I think the problem is is that you can have Marvin Harrison Junior and you will have a stud wide receiver right out of the gate. He will be he will walk on to this field during training camp and he will be by far the best player on the field. I have no doubt about that. And watching him and Christian Gonzales go one on one together for six weeks in the summer will make every single Patriots fan giddy like there's that's Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson right, like iron sharpens iron.
Speaker 1: And where the love it.
Speaker 2: But you are the Jets right because you have no offensive line and you have no quarterback to throw them the ball, and you're not even as good as the Jets, because at least they have Aaron Rodgers with a bum Achilles, Like you don't even have that.
Speaker 1: So well, you know, best case scenario, you have Kirk Cousins on a bum Achillies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have Kirk Cousins. You have Justin Fields, you have right, one of those guys. We got an email like with a couple of Gardner Minshew who is the other ones Jake Browning? Jake Browning is a backup quarterback. Baker. Mayfield is like obviously the one Baker.
Speaker 1: If you can get any Baker and then take Marvin third overall, like I I could buy you into that, but again, the entire front office should be fired if Tampa doesn't have Baker back next year. So the point being is that Andry, I'm not good at memes. No, sorry, let me just say no, I would not trade the third overall pick for Baker because I know people are say that.
Speaker 2: But that's not a real thing. That's like that call we had earlier about trading the median load of the Vikings for their first round pick. No, you you were better at making memes than me, so like maybe you can do this, and plus like as a company man, I probably shouldn't, but like, make like Mac Jones and Bailey Zappy the quarterback. Yeah, make them getting killed in the pocket because they have no offensive line, right, and then just make Marvin Harrison Junior jumping up and down like I'm wide open down here. Like that's what you're gonna get, at least for the first year.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And now the argument on the other side is is that, Okay, so Marvin Harrison Junior by himself probably doesn't make you much better. So you're gonna be drafting in the top ten again next year, and you just draft Shador Sanders next year, right, like or whatever. I just that I feel like is very risky because you're at there, you're beholden to the quarterback class. Then what if it's a Kenny Pickett quarterback class? Like what if Shador Sanders the second half of the year is actually what he ends up being next year?
Speaker 1: Also? Or who knows, you have a very weak schedule this year, maybe you roll off six wins, seven wins, and now you're not arranged to take one of those guys. Yeah, so when you have a chance to get the quarterback, you get the quarterback. To your point, and people say well, now you're beholding to the wide receiver class next year. A couple things on that last year was down yere. Generally college football's turning out wide receivers. They might not be Marvin Harrison, but you're gonna get. Really Marvin Harrison's not the last wide receiver prospect ever to be available in the NFL. I feel like some people need to remind themselves.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, you're still gonna get the Roma Dunze, Malik Neighbors, Kean Coleman, who.
Speaker 1: Can all be very very very good player. And I think those guys will be. There's gonna be multiple All Pro receivers in this class. I'll just tell you right now. You know who went back to school a Mecca Buca, who's the next Ohio State guy who some people thought was gonna be better than Harrison. Now he kind of got screwed because Ohio State's quarterback player was terrible this year. Yeah, it didn't matter, He's going back. But uh, Tory, well know, his numbers were down. I mean they're still very good, but they were down. Tory Horton, who the caller mentioned, is gonna be in the class next year. Mario willat Yams from usc who was Caleb Williams number one? Sort at number one? I know Rice was up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so is he the he's the quick guy, right, he's the quick slot guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If they didn't have like Pop Douglas already on the team, he would be intriguing.
Speaker 1: I like them.
Speaker 2: I like him.
Speaker 1: They're like, like, there's gonna be guys next year, and again, you can still pay people. T Higgins is still an option. Mike Evans is still an option.
Speaker 2: You were in the trade markets still right, option?
Speaker 1: You were not going, right, there's always one. We didn't know Tyreek Hill was available until he was like at this point that year. That's not gonna happen at quarter it's you're not gonna get a T. Higgins equivalent at quarterback and free agency, you're not going to get what receiver gets traded. I don't know a J. Brown eight right, thank you? You're not gonna get an A J. Brown kind of quarterback.
Speaker 2: Am I crazy? Just like on this topic, and I know we're all over the classic? Am I crazy to kind of want Davonte Smith more?
Speaker 7: Hmm?
Speaker 2: I love a J. Brown.
Speaker 3: A J.
Speaker 2: Brown is a really really good player. He's probably the best man coverage beater in the league, just because he's got the speed, the toughness, the ability had to catch point. I just I think Deavante Smith, even in like a Bill O'Brien Josh McDaniel's offense, I think he's so I utilize.
Speaker 1: I see where you're coming from. I I want to I'm not. I don't want this to come across like I'm saying. I would take Pop Douglas over Devonte Smith like obviously, No, obviously, Like I would take Davante Smith in a heartbeat, but like that it's a really good replacement. But that feels like more of a replacement. I want to know.
Speaker 2: I think Pop Douglas is a true slot.
Speaker 1: Is it all right?
Speaker 2: So you're gonna play a gadget slot? So I would play I think Pop Douglas.
Speaker 1: I want. I want that, really, I want that six foot five, two hundred pound on the outside is gonna bully every single corner he faces. Because I because I grew up watching Randy Mark, and because I grew up watching because I grew up watching Terrell Owens, and because I grew up watching Isaac Bruce, and that's the kind of receiver I like, I want a guy to go out there who is just a DK Metcalf, yes, and just bully the crap out of corners for sixty minutes. I have the small, shifty guys are fun, and I like Pop Douglas and I want them to have that guy too. But when it comes to wide receiver, for me, give me the big guy on the outside who's just bullying everybody. It's just the most fun to me. And I think that guy more than anybody else helps a young quarterback.
Speaker 2: That explains a lot, like it's all about separation, man, Like you gotta get open, like it, get.
Speaker 1: It, Dode. These guys not get open.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying, Harry get open, catch the ball.
Speaker 1: Does AJ Brown not get open? Not get open?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, those guys get open.
Speaker 1: I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm saying those guys are in like a different like those guys are elite.
Speaker 1: But that's what I'm saying. Like, if we're talking about I can add two elite receivers of both ninety nine overalls in Madden, Right.
Speaker 2: You would rather a J Brown than tyreek Kill.
Speaker 1: Basic, Well, tyreek Kill's tyreek Kill.
Speaker 2: He's his own, Okay, but you would rather, I don't know that's the best way like to think of, Like I.
Speaker 1: Would rather a J. Brown than DeVante Smith. Basically, yeah, I think a J.
Speaker 2: Brown is a better player. I just think I look at the way that's the Eagles. A lot of things have come out about the Eagles offense, not that this is Eagles Catch twenty two Eagles edition, but the Eagles they use like the least amount of pre snap motion of almost any team in the league. I think they were thirty first in the league in it. So I look at Devontae Smith and I think about remember the Patriots used to use Julian Edelman where like he's coming into stack alignments late, he's motioning cross formation, he's always on the move, like he's his chest piece that's always on the move, and they would just hunt free releases for him all over the field. Like the Eagles don't do that stuff for Devonte Smith for like, God only knows why. I have no clue. I can't explain it. If you put DeVante Smith in an offense where he's the Z he's the off of flanker, off the line receiver flanker that can move around all the time. And now you're motioning him all over the place, and you're changing his alignment pre snap and all this stuff. He's gonna just be able to just run routes like it's gonna be like seven on seven, right. And I just feel like the Eagles get the most out of Devonte Smith in their system, but their system for him kind of stinks like it really so he's just that talent.
Speaker 1: You just want Smith because you want to save him from the Eagles.
Speaker 2: I want DeVante Smith because I think that there's an even more, like there's another level for him is.
Speaker 1: A and I think there is too. I just I don't know. And again I would take if the Eagles say, yeah, we'll trade you DeVante Smith, we won't trade you a J. Brown, you know, same similar package. I would say, yeah, no, I'm not gonna say.
Speaker 2: It goes back to what I said earlier about Jacoby Myers. But first round edition, right, DeVante Smith is first round Jacoby Myers. Like he's all the shiftiness, all the ability to read the field, all the instincts for football, the catch point stuff, which I think Jacoby was underrated on with speed.
Speaker 1: So who's first that's a bad one. They haven't even come close. I was gonna say, like it was first round to kill Harry, Like you get what I'm saying, Like that's the problem, right, is that they they've never gone like Taekwon Thornton is is a burner. I was gonna say, who's first metcalf Right, he's a field stretcher, like he's his own thing, you know, And that's not the kill Harry is your guy, like let's just bully people. But no, because I want a guy that can run a two left route tree like I want a good version of that player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's that's the guy. A good version of that player is the guy that they've been chasing, right, like they they Chad Jackson, Nikhil Harry, Like you know that's.
Speaker 1: So I guess what I'm saying is I have no problem with them chasing that guy. Just figure it out.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 1: But then again, I've also said I would love Xavier Worthy, who is very DeVante Smith.
Speaker 2: That's why I like Xavier Worthy.
Speaker 1: Look, at the end of the day, I want a good receiver.
Speaker 2: Xavier worthies thinks because he's like trapped and that he's not You're not You're definitely not taking him at three and I don't think he's making it to thirty four, so you're kind of trapped.
Speaker 1: No, because I think he might be like a late twenties guy. You might be able to move up and get him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like we have to. I have to see it to believe it that they're going to operate differently in terms of moving up the draft board.
Speaker 1: All right, but just for the sake of if we're having the conversation, when we have it, I think Xavier Worthy he's gonna be in that same range as Brian Thomas, where You're right, I don't think you get him at thirty four. Can you get up to twenty six, twenty seven to twenty eight and maybe get one of those guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think that that's there's a world where they can have both, you know, either Drake may or Jane Daniels and Xavier Worthy or Brian Thomas. I think that's a very realistic conversation. I like that.
Speaker 2: All right, Zach, let's get back to the phones. Zach is in California. What's up, Zach?
Speaker 1: It's up, Zach?
Speaker 2: Zach going once I left him on hold too long? All right, Nacho's in Connecticut. I would assume what's up?
Speaker 1: Not Joe, hellop not Joe. You guys know how this works.
Speaker 2: We talk all right, I'm gonna cut you off before before the the tone. A couple of emails here, one email. This is a long one, so I'm just gonna kind of sift through it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Oregon combo Bone Nicks and Troy Franklin. Oh boy, I don't think that that that one's weird because both those guys are kind of projected to go around the same range of the draft, either one of them.
Speaker 1: Early My comps for those.
Speaker 2: Two is Troy Franklin, Tykwon Thornton.
Speaker 1: He might be a little better, but like, yeah, yeah, that's Mac Jones and Takwon Thornton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not that far off.
Speaker 1: You're right, and like, like look, and I even said this at the time because I liked Taekwon Thornton in that draft. I don't like him for I don't like where the Patriots took him or the role they took him for. Right, is Troy Franklin worth a top one hundred picky? Yes, Let some other team figure Troy Franklin out. The Patriots don't need to try to figure Troy Franklin out. Yeah, I at that point, if you think you can figure that guy out, just fixed Taekwon.
Speaker 2: I watching him just while watching Nicks. Yeah, you can't the frame, the one track speed right, Like it's just he's just a field stretching rail thin receiver and I'm just you can't take time.
Speaker 8: Like.
Speaker 2: There's obviously other examples that are of guys that have succeeded, but frankly, in that body type, it's not very a long list like guys that are guy Smith, Yeah, but DeVante Smith plays differently than those guys, like the guys that are six three one eighty soaking with like Taekwon Thornton that succeeded in the league. Uh, not a very long list like the the really the guys that have succeeded at that side, it's like that way are like either Devonte Smith yeah, or like probably the closest ones like a DeShawn Jackson. But Sean Jackson was so much shiftier. He also played fluid and like just had so much better body contry. I mean, I don't want to feel this old, but he played like ten years ago. Yeah, I mean I know he retired like two years ago, but when he was, you know, good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I again, I don't hate Trey Franklin as a player. Let somebody else figure him out.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the email did say Trey down and then you know, try to position yourself for the Oregon doubled it.
Speaker 1: So I don't know how that would work, Yeah, regardless of all. But you'd have to make a couple of trades.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So the other part of this email is that he's disappointed in this is uh Josh in Falls. Where's Turner Falls. I don't even I grew up here. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's probably Western mass right, yeah, probably, yeah, in northwest Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: I mean you drive right through Western mass to go to Ithaca College. Well, that's the furthest west of Worcester I've ever been. That's driving to Ithaca.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's the home of Brett Socks Legendrico Portgona. No idea, I don't.
Speaker 2: He says he's disappointed, and this is Josh speaking. He's disappointed that Patriots don't need defense because he loves Jared Verse from Florida.
Speaker 1: Dude, there's so many players in this draft that I'm like, so Jared versus one Dallas Turner's another picking this high. Cameron Kitchens from Miami's really the one though, Like I look at Camera Kitchens his safety Yeah modern Devin mccordy. Yeah, Like he's a little bit bigger, he's got some more box Like you put that guy on the back end of your defense and you don't have to worry about a thing. He's highly instinctive, he's very smart. He can cover a ton of ground. Like he's gonna be a falcon. Right, Bill goes to Falcons. This guy's gonna be a falcon. They're gonna put him next to Jesse Bates And that's Devin mccordy and Patrick Chung right there. I really wish we could talk about Cameron Kitchens as a patriot because boy is he fun to watch. Boy does he do some of the things they need done on that defense. But yeah, I mean he's gonna be a first round pick. If not, you know, he'll be top fifty for sure. He'll probably end up a first round pick. They just can't afford to take a safety in that spot. Three four years or four or five years fromw when he's a free agent. Yeah, I'll be paunding on the table for Cameron Kitchens.
Speaker 2: So Jared Versus a fun player like Jared versus Violet Angry, just explosive upper body. Yeah, I think that big dude, who is the guy that Raiders drafted last year for some reason. It's it's escaping me the first round guy Edge Rusher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: It'll come to me in a second. You can look it up. He's like, if that ty Wilson, Tyree Wilson. Yeah, He's like, if Tyree Wilson had to get off right, like if you could have if he that guy had first step explosiveness and the power, and like that was the thing about Tyree Wilson. Why he hasn't and he had a horrible rookie year with the Raiders is because he's he's got lead feet, like he's got he's got no quickness, but he just was like the Hulk and would just like throw people to the ground. That works in college. Jared Verse has like a motor and the and the Hulk power, but he also got.
Speaker 1: This edge class is so fun. Dallas Turner lay to lot to Verse, Chop Robinson, Braylan Trice.
Speaker 2: Chop Robinson's just a great name. I mean he's got to have a cross chop, right, Like, that's why the things.
Speaker 1: I mean, I haven't watched him a ton because this is just where Penn State guys. They wouldn't take him anyway.
Speaker 2: But all right, here's another another long one from Tom in the UK.
Speaker 1: So uh, real name Chop Robinson.
Speaker 2: By the way, So here's Tom in the UK. This is actually pretty newsworthy right now because I just saw a tweet that the Bears are interviewing Zach Robinson for their offensive coordinator position. The Bears are interviewing Zach Robinson.
Speaker 1: No hire Roman, Greg Roman?
Speaker 2: Yeah right. I I love the idea of Zach Robinson and the reason, like it's not even about the fact that he played here. The reason why I like that he played here is because they might actually hire him because they know who he is, right, Like, it's not it's an Adrian Clem situation, like they actually have a relationship with the guy. But I love the idea of Zach Robinson, who is kind of like, you know quarterback guy right obviously played quarterback like you know Kevin O'Connell ish, right, like in just that sort of thing. That's what you're going for a backup quarterback. You know, Kellen Moore, Kevin O'Connell, that that type of person with the McVeigh background, right, So you're bringing essentially you would hope that he would be bringing the McVeigh offense to New England and he would have that quarterback whisper thing. Before he got into actual coaching with the Rams, he was working at PFF, but he was also working as a quarterbacks consultant and like coach, like a Jordan Palmer type, Quincy Avery, Jordan Palmer, those types of guys. So this is a guy that not only could build your offense like the Rams have, but he would also be able to really develop your quarterback. And when I say really, I mean like footwork and mechanics and like you wouldn't need to send this guy to Jordan Palmer because you would have your own Jordan Palmer in house.
Speaker 1: You have like a true quarterback coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love the idea of Zach Robinson and the fact that they haven't kicked the tires on him. It makes me upset. Hopefully that's they're still playing things close to the vest like they did in the Belichick era, and we're just gonna kind of find out about it, But I really love the idea of Zach Robinson. I think that that would be my probably my well, my dream high would be Cliff but that's not happening, So my second one would be would be Zach Robinson.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he'd be a great higher. He'd be up there again, like you said, he's gonna bring a lot of those modern elements you want. I think a true quarterback. They haven't really had a true quarterbacks coach. They've had some offensive coordinators who are also you know, experienced with quarterbacks, but they haven't had a true quarterbacks coach here in a while.
Speaker 2: Okay, this email, Alex says, Kean Coleman is Nikhil Harry two point zero.
Speaker 1: I mean he might be.
Speaker 2: That's you know, that's that's kind of how I feel.
Speaker 1: Floor ceiling T Higgins. Nikhil Harry, That's kind of how I feel the way around stealing floor T Higgins.
Speaker 2: And I also wants to know and he says, Troy Franklins better than Taekwon Thornton. I think he might be too.
Speaker 1: But that's better, but the same kind of player.
Speaker 2: And the last point he makes Ladd McConkie, No, Lad, come on, I have come on, give me your Lad McConkie take. He's not a bad player because he Okay, so let me ask you this about Lad McConkie. Yeah, so I'm gonna go with I'm gonna give you two white stereotypes, and you tell me which one he's closer to. Okay, Okay, Jordy Nelson and Cooper Cup. I mean he's he's probably closer to Jordy Nelson. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know he's he's so Georgia's offensive line and run game have been dominant for years. You don't get a lot of complex coverages against Georgia. You're pretty much one on one if you're a receiver for and then you throw brock Bowers into it as well. There's not a lot of help over the top because the tight ends are worried about. They're the safeties. He worried about the tight end. Like does Ladd McConkie do some nice things? Yes? Like can he be as serviceable NFL player? Yes? You know who he actually kind of reminds me a little bit of is Chris Hogan. He's not quite as fast, but that kind of guy. Yeah, I just as a second round pick don't. I don't think Ladd McConkie's ever going to be a wide receiver one. No, I don't think that's ever gonna happen. I like the he's like draft the bolek Chris Hogan. I do like that kind of He's not quite as fast Hogan was sneaky fast. I I don't think he's got that kind of top uh top.
Speaker 2: I also like if you're looking for ceiling, like I do think Jordy Nelson's probably the comp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but even Jordy Nelson was never really a true wide receiver one was he?
Speaker 2: Uh No? Because they it wasn't DeVante Adams yet, but they had they had somebody else in those packer teams on the outside. It's not I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I can't remember either, but like they it wasn't real.
Speaker 2: Cob it might have been. They definitely overlapped, but there was somebody else on the Maybe it was like the end of Donald Driver or something like that. Right, Like, I don't know, that's not the point.
Speaker 1: Like if I'm taking a guy in the top sixty, oh, Greg Jennings.
Speaker 2: Greg Jennings was Greg Jennings, Greg Greg jens the team on his back.
Speaker 1: Though forgot it all time. Great great YouTube video that was awesome. I I just don't can Lad McConkie be like a good reliable wide receiver two Yeah, I think so he's never gonna be that coverage dictating Tuesday morning receiver on just not taking that guy in the top fifty lot he doesn't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's a third round pick.
Speaker 1: I think late third round. Yeah, might be. I'm not taking him unless he who what are the pay peop on saying, who is that guy gonna have like sixty unless he like puts down like a four to three out of nowhere and you're like or something like that, And we just at missing the speed because he plays differently because some guys they they don't always run a hundred at one hundred miles an hour, right like.
Speaker 2: They they played more of like a varied shifty game where they kind of tempo speeds and things like that. That's what helps them get open that good receivers do that. You know, you don't have to run one hundred miles an hour. I think that's a problem that Taekwon Thornton has. Yeah, it's like you just got to slow down sometimes and then you know when to use your superpower and when not to. I think that's part of the reason what makes Tyreek Kill so ridiculous is like he can just hit the throttle at any time and you think he's moving at one hundred percent, but he's not. He's moving at like seventy five. All right, Alex, we got the email from Ari. What about J J McCarthy. We're gonna get this email like a thousand times between now and in April twenty eighth. JJ McCarthy, I.
Speaker 1: Tweeted out Win Zavin he wins I tuned.
Speaker 2: It out the other day that he uh, it blows my mind that somebody who I really really respect a ton in the draft community and Dan Brugler has JJ McCarthy as a late first round pick. I I don't see it. So I'm not trying to crap on the guy. I just don't see it.
Speaker 1: Let me say this, I see I could see a team taking him in the first round because NFL teams are bad at the draft. He's not a FIR, he shouldn't be a first round pick. But I can see an NFO. He went to Michigan, he won a national championship. Look, he moves around like, yeah, I can see a team getting all hot and bothered over him. I wouldn't. I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I think I'm actually higher on JJ McCarthy than you are.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: So he's sitting there in like the nineties and you can trade back up in like one of the compics late in the third. He's not a bad project player.
Speaker 2: I do you know his.
Speaker 1: Size, his athleticism. He is super young. If you maybe not not for the Patriots obviously obviously because they're not in this position, but if you're a team trying to like do the Jordan Love plan, yeah he would be a really not the first round again, Jordan Love's first round pick. I wouldn't do that. But if maybe it'd be more like Jalen Hurts. But if you're a team like the Packers where you know you only have X number of years left with Aaron Rodgers, or you're a team like the Jaguars or the Eagles where maybe you're not not the Eagles, the Jaguars or the Niners, where you're not sure if you're gonna bring that quarterback back, you're not sure you're gonna pay that quarterback, and you want to have a plan B. But you don't need him right now. Those are the teams for me that look at JJ McCarthy because he needs at least a year. It might be too it might be too for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: No, yes, so JJ McCarthy. I will admit that I had some biases going into watching him because of watching him live. Yeah, and I just couldn't.
Speaker 1: I was like, I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't understand the guy sprays the ball all over the place. He has one pitch. It's a ninety nine mile on hour fastball, which bugs me more than some it bugs other people. I understand that I would need a quarterback that can throw multiple types of pitches. You need to fast if you have If you have a guy that's crossing over the middle of the field on mesh and he's eight yards away from you, I don't want you to throw it through him. I want you to lead him and put it softly, pillowy on his hands. I think that that was one of the most underrated aspects of Tom Brady's arm talent, is that he could throw it through the door or he could throw a nice pillowy touch pass. Yeah, that just like looked like the receiver just had no effort to have to catch it. That's that's my kind of guy. When JJ McCarthy in this, it leads to issues, especially when he's throwing outside the numbers. He needs to uncork it and he overthrows the ball so it goes ten yards over the guy's head. He has a lot of issues with the way that he can control the football. And I worry about guys like that because that's a really hard thing to deven is multiple pitches.
Speaker 1: So again, my comp form is Zach Wilson. Yeah, it's and and so because I do floor ceiling to be fair ceiling brock party. If you put him around a ton of talent like he has a Michigan, he's gonna be able to operate and he might give.
Speaker 2: You comp is way way meaner.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember who he Oh, okay, I'll let you get to the second. But at the end of Zach wilt like J. J. McCarthy's gonna go to the Pro day and he's gonna do the thing where he's in shorts and a T shirt and he rolls to the left and then comes back to the right and flips his hips and throws the ball seventy yards. Oh my god. Throw is if every single quarterback in the last five years hasn't made that throw At his pro day, Anthony Richardson's hit the ceiling right. Anthony Richardson's was actually impressive, but Zach Wilson didn't ever resign. Oh my god, this is why the Jets are taking Zach Wilson second overall. It's like because he can throw in shorts. So I just I see so much as Zach Wilson. Rich this guy that's like one tab does this uber competitor? I don't see it. Yeah, I don't see it. Zach Wilson. Any team, time, place except Coastal Carolina wouldn't go down and face my guy. Grace and McCall In the COVID year, I think, like you said, Zach Wilson, everything came out of his hands a million miles an hour. Yeah, and there's also I in the big games, they took it out of his hands. Now that's a little different, Zack Wilson. Zach Wilson had the ball in his hands late in games and choked, specifically against Coastal when he finally played them. JJ McCarthy. It's not a great and I know, Harboss says all the stuff. Oh, he's the best Michigan quarterback since Tom Brady won that bar super low right now that title is held by Chad Henny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Tom Brady in college was not tom Brady yet And and some of that was circumstance, like I know that the story, but like.
Speaker 1: Even even besides, like all right, cool, you better than Chad Henny. Congratulations, it's not high bar. Also it you know, don't talk about it, be about it. If JJ McCarthy was that good, why'd he only throw eight times against Penn State? Why'd you take the ball out of his hands late against Ohio State? Why did you take the ball out of his hands in the playoff? Like, yeah, Harbaugh, Well I guess, Harbor, he's a really good Ohio State game. Harriball wasn't calling, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a really good fit. And I'll give my competence second, but he's a really good fit if you run like a downhill power run game where all he's got to do is throw off of like play action and moving pockets right right, you know, it's kind of shanahany, Like every quarterback could fit in the Shanahan scheme. So I hate saying like, oh, just put him with Kyle Shanahan, Like, yeah, everybody's gonna look, you know, decent if you if you're worth a damn in the league, like Sam Darnold look good in the preseason playing in the forty nine ers offense. The point is is that he is. Yeah, like if you open passing windows for him to throw in between the numbers with play action, he has made some decent throws if you.
Speaker 1: Make it easy for him. He's capable and he can. The one thing he does well is throw off platform. He doesn't always need to set his feet to deliver the ball. So yeah, if you're rolling him out a ton and you have guys that can you talk about Roman Wilson his ability to create after the can you know how I feel that Blake corm and done. Even Edwards went back to school, So you only have to hear me talk about one of them for the next four months.
Speaker 2: The one that's gonna go higher, Like no, we're not, We're not doing this.
Speaker 1: Some people thought they might go back to back, some people had them as RB's two and three, But yeah, I just for what the Patriots need. He's you couldn't be further of a fit. So what can I get my give your comment? Remember who my mean comm for J.
Speaker 2: J McCarthy Mitchell Trubisky. And people are gonna hear that.
Speaker 1: That are especially the Michigan fans, and they're the pitchforks are gonna come out, are so protective the Wolverines are coming out.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. If Mitchell Trubisky was drafted as like a day two project quarterback that I'm not saying he would have been like a Hall of Famer. I'm just saying his career in the like reputation that he holds is much different.
Speaker 1: It would be decent.
Speaker 2: The problem was is that he was drafted third overall, ahead from the Patrick Mahomes and Deshaan Waton wants that right, Yeah, so like that's that's it's a different conversation. So I would take JJ McCarthy in like the middle rounds, not the second. I probably wouldn't take the would late third. Yeah, yeah, I would take him in the middle rock and see if he develops into something fine. In a lot of ways, I look at him and like you know, just from like the spot and all, like Davis Mills Ish right, like third fourth, Rod got some tools, got some ability, Like, let's see what happens. Oh, I have No, I'm not saying he's playing style wise. He's got enough physical tools that I understand why people look at JJ McCarthy and say he could develop into something in the league.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: He's got a good arm, he's got mobility, he's got the throw on the run at of structure. Stuff like you mentioned is there. But he is extremely, extremely raw and inconsistent right now. So that's just why I'm not touching that type of player in the first round. You if your first round pick, you have to be able to do some stuff right out of the gate, right, and he's he's not all right. So the last couple of things, and then we got to wrap it up. Uh, somebody emailed in and I'm we talked about this to touch on it earlier, and I didn't. We didn't really hash it out. Uh, drawed Mayo. Ops, And of course I just deleted the email. Drawd Mayo.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yesterday with Steve Burton his comments, so he said, and this is the quote. I think directly, it looks right, we are going to draft the best player for a position. That is very important. Dot dot dot. You put the pieces together. So a lot of people took this as it could mean anything. It could even be a boat, right, like who knows, Like it could be a receiver, It could be a tackle like that. You know, it could just mean premium position, but best player at a position that is very important. You put the pieces together. It's hard not to put the pieces together.
Speaker 1: Jirod and say, you just told us you're taking a quarterback, except he is a linebacker, maybe a lineback. No, no, I don't look it could mean premium position, which off ball linebacker no longer a premium position, by the way, it could be a premium position, or could mean tell that to him in quarterback take Jeremiah Trotter. Uh, yeah, that's kind of where I'm at, where maybe that is his way of saying premium because left tackle is a very important position. Yeah, and I know people are gonna cringe at that, but like, is that his way of saying premium? It seems too good to be true that he just told us he's taking a quarterback. Everything else tell me he told us that, But I'm like, he really just say it.
Speaker 2: So the difference is is that The only argument that I can have that maybe he really was talking quarterback. He wants to be different from Bill, right, And I think that there is gonna be a level of transparency that didn't exist in the Belichick era. If you look at other teams, maybe their head coach of the team is not coming out and saying we're taking a quarterback this year at the top of the draft. But these vague insinuations like was anybody confused about what Carolina did last year? Did anybody think that Carolina was not taking a quarterback at one?
Speaker 1: Overall?
Speaker 2: Like take Bryce Young and CJ Stride out of it, just like everyone knew that Carolina was taking a quarterback. I don't think Carolina hid the fact that they were taking a quarterback. Now they were one, so they had no competition. So I get that like telling people at three years old, now if like somebody wants one of them, they could jump you.
Speaker 1: I don't think there was any debate for Houston, which probably more I think.
Speaker 2: That we are not used to that this being us right, right. But the point is is that I think a lot of teams are a little bit more forward with the fact that, yeah, we're in the quarterback market.
Speaker 1: We'll be able to taking a quarterback. Even if you want to be more forward, if you're picking even as high as like seventh, eighth, ninth, you can't really be because you don't know what the board's gonna look like.
Speaker 2: Right, That's it.
Speaker 1: So some of it, I think is Mayo being more transparent. The other thing is it's just easier to say that when you're picking third in a draft with three quarterbacks. Yeah, if there were two quarterbacks, Let's say Jane Daniels wasn't here, Drake Maay wasn't or Caleb Teams did to come out right, Maybe he doesn't say that. Maybe because you don't know who's going to be on the board there, it's easier to just positioning aside whoever's making the pick, positioning aside. It's it's easier to say that when you're picking in the top three.
Speaker 2: All right, as we wrap it up. Let's wrap it up on this as of today, January eighteenth, because we talked a lot about obviously for good reason. You know, Bill Gerrodmeo, the coaching staff, the Tulius Caesar Julius Caesar, which it is at two, that is from Julius Caesar by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, nobody was doubting that. It's just weird. You don't think he's a poet.
Speaker 2: All right, fine, I'll give you the poet thing, but you know what to give it to me. It's just a historical fact, dude, that's like fun.
Speaker 1: I'll give it to you. It's January eighteenth.
Speaker 2: It's not like January Alex Barth. Which quarterback are you taking?
Speaker 1: I mean, do I get Caleb Williams or is he off the board?
Speaker 2: Like, let's assume Caleb Williams is so it's May Daniels, but or mystery box?
Speaker 1: Uh so Joe Milton. People are gonna think I want them to take Joe Milton the first based on how much I talk about.
Speaker 2: Because every this is just funn This is all the question that I gets. I don't know about you, but.
Speaker 1: You want like January eighteenth. I'm still like slightly Jane Daniels, just because I think if you find a way to unlock his athleticism. Yep, you're talking about like a perennial MVP candidate and that excites me.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Now that's fair if you want it here, but here's where I'm at. You can make an argument for Drake May, and I'm not necessarily gonna say you're wrong. It's a flavor thing. At this point, I need more information. I'm very lightly Jade Daniels again, because that athleticism thing, I know, classic me. I won't nail down to take. But like it's flavored, they're different. I think they're both good. They're strong cases for both. It's just what do you've got. It's like the wide receiver thing we were talking about. I would take Devonte's answer.
Speaker 2: I tried to pin you down and get you tod, I said, Jane Daniels, Yeah, I know, but you're just if is that the other thing?
Speaker 1: You know? I'm just explaining it like I would take Jane Daniels. If Jane Daniels and Drake May were both on the board, I would take Jane Daniels. But if I were in the draft room and then nine other people said Drake May, I would say, yeah, all right, Like I wouldn't necessarily put up that much of a fight about it.
Speaker 2: So I have a compound answer too. Oh boy, Okay, if we're running it back with Bill O'Brien, Josh mcci, that's obvious. So I'm going Drake May.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming you're getting the coordinator for the quarterback.
Speaker 2: If you're if you're running back the Patriots system, then Drake May and Drake May. The one thing I really like about Drake May is that he's really really good throwing to the middle of the field. Yeah, he's probably the best at like layering throws, hitting seam shots, manipulating coverage in the middle of the field. He has a really good control of the middle of the field, which is rare for a college quarterback. Like most college quarterbacks are like deep ball and then like athleticism, right, like that's sort of their thing. If it's that, I'm going Drake May. Uh, if they're gonna go outside the box and be creative and actually be different for once, then Jayden Daniels is my favorite quarterback out of this group just in terms of watching the guy, I just like watching him the most. So there's my cop out answer. I mean, but it's fair like we don't know who's going on our offense that matters. That's a part of the conversation, all right. I know we left a couple of callers on hold. Pu's about to start right now at noon, So they'll take your call on Patriots Unfiltered. Alex and I will be back next week, same time, same place for another episode of pat twenty two Senior Bowl Preview, and I will be in Mobile, so we'll talk to you guys. Then.
Speaker 1: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: Like the show, please rate and review us.
Speaker 1: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts