Speaker 1: The one hundred and fiftieth Kentucky Derby Racist right around the corner, and it's only one app you.
Speaker 2: Should be using.
Speaker 3: Dk Horse is the number one app especially.
Speaker 2: For the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 1: New customers who sign up through Biddley link below and use code TBC Horse can receive one hundred percent deposit bonus up to two hundred and fifty dollars when you deposit a minimum of twenty five dollars. DraftKings is matching your deposit dollar four dollar up to two hundred and fifty dollars when you deposit twenty five dollars or more. Already a DraftKings player, well, you can use your same logging to start betting on the races right now.
Speaker 3: So saddle up this season.
Speaker 1: Download the number one Rake Horse betting app in America using the link down below and sign up with my promo code TBC Horse GM.
Speaker 2: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 1: Breakfast Club Morning, everybody is dej nvjess hilarious, charlamage the guy we are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: We got a special guest in the building, the legend de Hardes.
Speaker 2: What what Welcome back, Let's go, Let's go now you're feeling feeling good. Bro, I've been running around New York promoting the Shy Lot about the tour, talking them about some glasses.
Speaker 4: Your own line of the Wayne Wayne flip up glasses about it's.
Speaker 2: About time because because we can give it back a little bit. Okay, we can put it into a scholarship fund. If we sell them, we help somebody go to school and learn. It seemed like a good idea. This guy here, I said, you ever wanted to do a glasses line? I was like yeah. And then we found these girls in Brooklyn, Brooklyn stand up. Vontel is the name of the company, Tracy and Nancy, and they make glasses and they sell glasses. And we pair it up with them, and I told them about exactly how I wanted them, what I wanted them to do, and they made it happen.
Speaker 5: You popular popularized that style. It's not even absolutely, not even close.
Speaker 3: But how can we how can we order? The first of all, because I gotta order. I gotta support.
Speaker 2: Montel dot com.
Speaker 3: You got some pants over there.
Speaker 5: Let me say that.
Speaker 6: What I'm talking about they only got over You got your own glass company.
Speaker 5: You have someone now, but they're not together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yes, magnetic. Okay, I said it a magnetic Yeah, like you know you just oh, okay, you fly fly?
Speaker 3: Why try?
Speaker 5: Maybe you know the big when you started wearing these with the for prescription or you just was trying to look cool.
Speaker 2: No executive producer at the time. Okay, And beast who's passed away rest in peace. She saw him in a David Bowie concert and she came to me two days before we taped anything because I was added to the show after about four episodes were shot, so they had to kind of shoot us. And then the sin She came to me two days before we shot and had these glasses and it was like, I saw these in a David Bowie concert. Bass player somebody had them on. Would you like to wear these? You could work them in? And I thought, at the time, I thought the character was so corny. I just wanted to hide. This was the perfect little boom I could just if I if I didn't think a joke could work, if I didn't like what I was doing, I could flip them down and hopefully nobody would recognized me. I could go and have a career afterwards. And now I look and look at this, it's dope.
Speaker 3: Tell them again how they can get him if they want.
Speaker 2: To order them. Bontel dot com.
Speaker 3: Bonteil dot com.
Speaker 2: D E E M E D.
Speaker 5: That's the name of the glasses Wayne Wayne Glasses.
Speaker 4: I saw recently y'all did, Dwayne And yeah, yeah, got your naked Dean Harrison right there.
Speaker 2: We signed. This is a little limited edition.
Speaker 5: Now. I saw y'all did a White House visit recently. Whole cast of the different world.
Speaker 2: That was wild. I'm more comfortable at Comic Con actually, but they they they invited us and and Darryl Bell, who is our team leader, hooked this all up and got us in and and I was surprised at how overwhelmed I was, because at first I thought this is gonna be high security robots standing everywhere, It's gonna be crazy. And it was just people in the building, just regular people in the building going to work. And then the whole fact that is the house that slaves building. And then she was so warm and Vice yeah, Adam, vice president uh receptive to us and knew who we were. Yea, yeah, but you don't you know what I mean, when you do the gig, you don't really think everybody's paying attention. You hear from people and you know they paying attention, but you don't really think the whole planet is playing attention. But yeah, she cleared the room and gave us a good fifteen minutes and talked to us normal, and yeah, she was just dope. It was it was like I said, man, I was like, I don't want to go to White House. What am I going to do in the White House. Let's go to comic Colls.
Speaker 3: And how is it going on that to all? Because you've been you've been in.
Speaker 1: Every HBCU the White House, and you guys have been getting such a warm reception.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing that the students eighteen nineteen years old, they they know us. They scream like I'm usher or something, walking like I don't understand that part. I really thought it would.
Speaker 5: Have died that reruns, Manna. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the influence that that that show has had, and it's the influence, it's the fact ridiculous we're going to those schools and we're talking to them about school and they're open. They love it. They screamed, they love to hear the stories, they love to hear baby please. They love all of that. And it's the retroactive love. That's that's kind of overwhelming. Sometimes we get in there and we really are not expecting or yeah, we're not expecting it to be like that. We're expecting it to be nice, and they go in, they greet us like heroes or something.
Speaker 3: You guys are to our community.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, if you got people out there who say, hey, I went to college because of a different world, that's a different level of impact.
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 3: I tell you all the time.
Speaker 5: That was was he Dominican.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask, you know, you ever thought about putting the director's hat back on and creating that again? Just different a new day because you go into the HB, you see how much it's needed, you see what the students like. You can recreate that because you know what works. It doesn't even have to be called a different world.
Speaker 2: It could be right. We've been actively trying to do that for about twelve fifteen years, and since we don't own it and it doesn't, like you said, it doesn't have to be called that. But that's what everybody knows. The blueprint is there, and I never thought for a long time, I thought this will never happen. It just it's not in the cards. It's not going to happen. We can't get the rights. They keep him, and it hard. Now I say never, say never, because if Debbie gets excited about something, if we can get Debbie excited, Debbie out of excited about something, then anything as possible.
Speaker 4: And then clearly that's that setting still works because you're on Grown Ish now and Grown has been along how many seasons?
Speaker 5: Six seasons? Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when if we did it, I thought this show should never end. I thought, yes, let me out, let you azz out, let us go on and go on and and go off and do stuff. But then bring new freshmen in and keep talking about what's going on in the world, keep addressing the same the issues. Like it seemed like like soul training. It should have never stopped, but but it did. And uh and now thirty five years later, you know it's needed. You can see that it's needed. Hey, es, Hey, I just love you.
Speaker 5: I'm just I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: I'm happy to see that you're gonna be on the shot the shot. Yes, how did that happen? Were you familiar with the show before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched the first season and was in love with it and then book some gigs and went out of the country and d D and the next thing you know, I turned around and they five six seasons in. I was like, Lena, put me on.
Speaker 4: Lina, don't be calling your company him and grad and I look out for another helmet.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Want to be on this show.
Speaker 5: Who's your character going to be?
Speaker 2: I played doctor Elijah Professor Elijah Gardner. He is an English literary professor and he is that favorite teacher that inspires his students to push harder. So yeah, So the strike had happened and everybody was out of work, and she called up and was like, I got something you want to come And I was like, yes, not even do I want to, And don't even send me a script. I'm on my way. Yeah, So yeah, it was it was easy once once we got out of the strike and everything, then it really kicked off.
Speaker 5: You know, we just had chimp fields up here.
Speaker 4: And you made me think of something when you said you just called Lena, because I asked her, what's more important to have people black people behind the scenes are in front of the camp.
Speaker 5: What do you think.
Speaker 2: Behind the scenes, they create the jobs, they create the opportunities We partied with the people in front of the screen. You know what I mean. We all hang out, we know each other, there's a familiarity, there's a love of trust. But behind the scenes is where the deals get made, but where the stuff happens. So it's good to know that she was inspired by us and named her company him and grad and shot through the ceiling with her with her talent, and it's able to say, Okay, let me write something, let me create something, and let's pull them let's start pulling them in. So yeah, I think it's it's more important to know people.
Speaker 3: Who write, you know, lean up beforehand or.
Speaker 2: No, no, I just reached out to you.
Speaker 3: Just love the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a fan of the show and a fan of hers, And just when Twitter was Twitter, I just was on the DM. I'm like, yo, I'm a big fan. She was like, you taught me how to dress. Wow, you taught me how to My whole swag is built on you.
Speaker 5: I'm telling to look like, put it on of that.
Speaker 3: But how she was dressing she used to do to Jordan's and Jersey.
Speaker 6: Still yeah, but every now and then I'm like, sho mean different events and different stuff. So you know, you know to on the occasion, she dresses differently sometimes, but yeah, now the shot is very heavy Chicago based, right, and then you being from New York, did you have to like change anything that you have to be more Chicago or like, how did you prefer that?
Speaker 2: I really I just kind of you know, I knew this guy. He's for me, an extension of Dwayne Wayne. He's he's really like at the end of a different world. Dwayne was teaching and he loved his students, and he had some run ins with him sometimes it didn't go so well, but he was learning. And I think that Professor Gardner is an extension of that or evolution of that. So you know, I wasn't trying to do a Chicago accent. Yeah going there now. I was just keeping this simple. And and my actors cats I got to work with phenomenal and I didn't know their storylines, Like I watched the first season. Then I stopped and got busy and then went and shot it and didn't know who I was working with. Or I come up to me street, Hey, I'm Curtis, like.
Speaker 3: Curtis Cook.
Speaker 2: Hey, Curtis Cook, I played on the show. Okay, nice okay, yeah. But but then I came back after I shot and watched them all washed up until now and uh, crazy crazy, and they're all so good. I'm such fans now that I've seen them on Now I know all of them about Oh yeah, that's dude to that's all. So yeah, it's been a fun ride on the shot.
Speaker 3: Do you still audition? I ask Kimn. I said, do you still audition?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, really audition the two weeks ago. Yes, sir. The offers are nice, but they're few and far between. For a long time, I was proud of the fact that another audition for Spike, he just called me Ernest Dickerson, he just called me, sat down, we had lunch, he gave me a script and was like, I'd like you to be this guy. I was like, wow, I didn't know that's how it went when I was younger. So now that I'm older, anytime somebody offers me something, it just means they want you. They know what you can do, and they want you. And that always feels really good. That feels way better than well, it's nice to earn it. It's nice to go in and they don't want you, and then you flip them. That's even better sometimes. But it really feels good when you can just like get a call and say some soon wants to work with you and they wrote something and wow, okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When it comes to auditioning, though, it's like you're a new person now though you know you're a O G now serent thing like there's not They probably had a certain vision of you from the kadem heartists and they knew then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're like you're a old different person now. Really we all are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice to keep reinventing the wheel, you know what I mean. It's it gives me a chance to I always thought I was a really good actor, and it wasn't until maybe seven or eight years ago that I saw something that made me rebelieve it. Because for a while, you go through a stretch where the jobs ain't happening and you think, and plus I don't watch my stuff. I get hypercritical. So I'll leave it out there. That's for y'all, and y'a always tell me if you like it or But I'll wait ten twenty years before I go and look at something. It took a long time to look at a different world. I watched it. We went to the premiere, we had a premiere party, and I watched the first episode and I never watched after that. Really, Jesus, that's bad. I just felt that's not good. That's not what I thought it was gonna be. Yeah, but that's me. I see every ground ball I missed, you know what I mean. If it's if it gets past me, then that's an error. And I'm like, I should have. I should have. I should have could have. Why didn't I? So I watched it all like that. And then about eight years ago, Love Is. I watched Love Is just because I loved the other characters and what they were doing and any other actors. And I wasn't in a way I didn't get in a way I was able to see it and was like, Oh, that wasn't man. And then I was like, oh shit, I'm getting better as an actor. At fifty.
Speaker 5: You never watched nothing.
Speaker 4: You never watched the wedding crashing scene, You never watched when you stopped.
Speaker 5: I see the sexual assault, like, you never watched none of that.
Speaker 2: I watched the clips, but not when we did it. I did it experience any the experience that I had doing it talking to the actor. Relating and being truthful was way better than the editor and the producer and the sound man I could mix and come up with. When I watch it from outside of my body's completely different. But when I'm here then nothing's going to ever touch that. That's why a lot of the greats go through plays because they don't never have to see it and done. Yeah, and every night it can be it's your show. It's the director can lead you up there and then he has to fall back in the crowd with the rest of them, and you get to go on and I may be this tonight or I may be that tonight, and there's no judgment. You get to live it out as fiercely as you want. So, yeah, I'm scared of plays I've done too.
Speaker 4: How many times did you have to jump on that car when you did the scene when you came through the sun roof?
Speaker 2: I think twice twice. I think twice because time pushed me off. He wasn't supposed to do that, really, yeah, yeah, and I had to get back that was supposed to happen. Then then he pulled me in and he wasn't supposed to do that, And that's when I started yelling run Freddy, Run wait fred They wait, yeah, yeah, get the fuck out here, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. I was. I was always like I learned early on, maybe sometime in the first season, that the audience was really paying attention to what I was doing, because, uh, there was there was some scene I think Denise had to have a pig nose on or something like that, and Lisa and and and I had just a little off cuff reaction to it something I did in the scene and I heard the audience got a bubble from it, and I was like, that wasn't in the script. There wasn't nothing, And I was like, huh. So then I just said every time, I just loaded up my chamber and I was like, okay, I think there's something to do just in case something don't go right. And I had no idea Duke was going to like I felt like the scene was going or the take was going bad, because when he pushed me, I fell off the car and had to rejump on it. Every time a rehearsal jumped up on there stayed on there, did it seem But but the one time when he pushed back and then I slid off and then had to re jump on. I was like, all right, this is a bust to take but that looked great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and play.
Speaker 2: So Freddy Waite was because he started to pull me into the car and that was that wasn't rehearsed. Wow for help, help Freddy.
Speaker 1: I wanted to know, like, we look at characters that are iconic to us, and sometimes they can't get out of that character. Like we've seen it with Steve Verko for some reason, he's always Steve Verko right, yeah, and.
Speaker 5: Even to you to a part he tried to take your glass of swag too. At one point he did a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had to flip a glass on on on.
Speaker 1: For maybe for a couple of because he put up that I do that nice, that's not bad.
Speaker 3: How did you get out of that? So Pe? We just didn't see you as that all the time, and was that difficult?
Speaker 2: I think people still, well, the people still see me as that. That's what resonated most with them. Some people love Vampire and Brooklyn, some people always love the white Men can't Jump. But I think that the mass they see me as that, and if that never changes, I'm okay. The industry I couldn't get auditions for Singleton movies or any of those like hood movies, because they thought I was a college kid, and I was like, I barely finished high school.
Speaker 3: Like, man, that's crazy, I'm not the you tried out for boys in the hood, you know I didn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't get a meeting. Wow. They was like, nah, we're good. Would they would cast it before? I was like, how these movies getting made? And I'm right here, I'm right here. I don't know me and but I was like more edge from school days then Dwayne from a different world, you know, a mixture of the two. But I was like, I could. I'm from Brooklyn. I could do that. I could, I could do that, But I could never get a meeting. I could never get a sit down.
Speaker 5: And I'm sorry you did not used to have to flip up. He used to flip him down and.
Speaker 4: Be like, you're right. You know you said earlier that dal Bell was your leader, Yes, right, yes, So how do you even keep that band together?
Speaker 5: Because you know you got ol g R and B groups that hate each other. How do y'all keep y'all.
Speaker 2: Getting We grew up together, we came to the city together, We came in you know, to l a together. We were all from somewhere else and we had each other to lean on. We needed each other. We hung out with each other. It was true love. It wasn't. It wasn't like fake. Sure these the Godfather and my kid. Yeah, like we are connected, we stay connected. So that's that was easy. That wasn't. It was never any kind of like I don't want to go if so and so going. No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is interesting when you talk about the movie aspect of it, because I'm like, damn, you weren't in a lot of those nineties.
Speaker 5: Great he was a panther and white men can't jump school days, but it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there was a gap after Panther, there was a gap. But I couldn't I couldn't get none of them. I had to stay on TV at it between brothers and some other things. But I couldn't get in because I got into this because I thought I was gonna be a movie star when I was thirteen. I thought I'm gonna be a movie star. That's what I want to do. And TV was kind of a also ran like it just happened, but I really thought I'll do it. Just different world thing for a couple of months and they'll get canceled and then I'll go be a movie star. Because I knew West was come in. I knew there was some wolves in the pack. So yeah, but yeah, I couldn't get in. I couldn't get in with those dudes.
Speaker 5: Why was the transition so hard? But I think about somebody like Jady picker Swift, she made the transition. She might be. I can't really think of nobody else.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Yeah, it was I don't know. I think it went from you know, you're an actor, you're an actor, you're an actor. Then they was like, no, we'll take the comedians, the comedians, we want comedians. Comedians. Eddie kind of started it. But Eddie just blew it open for anybody young and black and sharp witted. He just made he just created that cavern for me and Martin and Will and everybody run through. But then after that it seemed like it shifted where they after Cosby, of course they wanted to do comedian shows based on comedians. They can write, they can you know, they can be, and then being an actor kind of kind of took aside road or back seat to it. So yeah, I was just tip said, everything goes in cycles, so you know, you wait for it to come back around, and it's coming back around wearing glasses. I used to hate those glasses really, and it was really something that you used to hide behind. My mother was telling me last night, Yeah, you used to hate them. I used to get the calls you used to hate those glasses. I was like, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: Did you did you hate?
Speaker 4: Did you hide behind the glasses because you didn't like the roles because you're dealing with like some type of imposts.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no it was I wasn't. I didn't understand the role first season. First season, I just thought this is I got to go back to Brooklyn when klock, Yeah, this is not going good. This is not And then by the third season, mister Cosby said, Okay, it's time to grow them up. Time to grow them up, lose the glasses. And then kind of with that went most of the comedy of the silliness that I was doing in the first couple of seasons, which I embraced. I was like, okay, cool, but yeah it was it was calculated on his part to make him more of a man. Now we's had those we did that we've seen him. He can do that. Now, let's see what else is in the bag.
Speaker 4: That the other reason those characters are so beloved because when you watch somebody go from a freshman in college getting married, you know what I mean? Like, that's like we grew up with y'all in a matter of how many was it?
Speaker 5: Six seasons?
Speaker 2: Six seasons?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's crazy when you think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't see it often because our streaming giants like to let shit run for one season. That's they be like, well, we don't know about the numbers, that's right, and then they try something else and now we don't know about the numbers, which is kind of sad. But it really takes seasons to grow with characters and learn them, and it's always best when it works that way.
Speaker 3: Now, you mentioned Wesley Snipes, Yes, sir, and I wanted to know how competitive was it back then because you said you just knew he was coming. So it made me think of like, you know, when you were in the NBA and then you got this college can be like, oh, he's coming about to be a Beast's that the same way when it came to acting.
Speaker 4: We need dark skin, brothers needed one.
Speaker 1: Absolutely just say that because he stabbed the light skin brother and the cheer.
Speaker 2: Up. Yeah. I'm not the most competitive. I know what's for me is for me and you can't really have it. But I knew the talent that was was emerging. I could see it. I could. I could see just in the little the bad video. I was like, who's that? She's okay, another one and then it's less jobs, you know what I mean? When when when you think, oh snap, I'm out in front, and then all of a sudden you're looking at somebody here and ship somebody here, and then how did he get up there?
Speaker 5: And that was a music video exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah's uh?
Speaker 5: Music videos were like movies.
Speaker 2: That was ceazy. Yeah yeah yeah, so yeah, I just knew. I knew when when I saw Tupac, I thought he was probably the most dangerous of all the young actors. And he was a rapper. Why was that just he could reach a depth and he got that Martin Luther King kind of energy that comes out of him. Even the way he talks, it's melodic. So when you when I see him on screen and I hear him talk, I'm like, hmm, now I'm hearing jazz for the first time. Now I'm hearing somebody that then broke the mole, and it's playing a whole different style. He's probably the one guy that I was like, oh boy, if he keeps on acting, I'm gonna get less and less.
Speaker 5: What do you see it? When he did different World or something else?
Speaker 4: Juice juice, He was intimidated when he came on set.
Speaker 2: No no, no, like I said, what's mine is mine? But but but I was thrilled that I got to direct them, because all you have to do is say action and then cut moving on like there was no I'm not sure about that choice. Maybe you want to bro This is where you get to be. I'm a great director because look what I.
Speaker 5: Did, m M.
Speaker 2: I had to pockets Jada and Bumper and all of them. So they were all so good it makes you look good. The best job a director can do is hire right people, get true I'm sorry, get to a good DP, cast the right actors, or get good casting, and then the job it starts to get easier, and then you can worry about the things you would worry about. So you pick pocket for that.
Speaker 4: No no, he said, you would have never picked pocket told me.
Speaker 2: Since I wrote that. I wrote that episode and and we asked Jada if he would do it, and she said, let me ask him and he said yeah, and I couldn't believe it. I was like, oh snap, So yeah, yeah, you know he was. He was angry, you know, which was sad for me because he'd have been somebody that I would have hung out with. But I couldn't kick the pass how angry.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask you that what kind of person was pot because I love hearing pop story just because him, him and Big.
Speaker 5: Because they did such mythical figures. Yeah, so he was. He was angry on set.
Speaker 2: No, No, not in the space all right, in the space, he was darling. But then I was out at the Beverly Center. Remember the Belly Sendingbody Belly Center. So I was at the Beverly Center and and he was. I was a level up and he was coming with I think it was Yo Yo and some friends and they were coming. It was after rehearsal one day or something like that, and I saw him and before I could say something, somebody on the upper level said, hey.
Speaker 5: That's two Pac.
Speaker 2: That's two Pac, and he was like, it's Pot money it's pot money and starts screaming like they was gonna do something. I was like, why bro so mad, Like, yeah, they mispronounced the name. You could keep walking, but he was. He wanted to make it a point, and I get it. There's a lot of bravado that goes on in hip hop, so you gotta stand up for certain things. But I just didn't. I didn't. I didn't understand why he was like that, frustrated with the space.
Speaker 3: They said you directed him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was Cosby when y'all wanted to use pop because I know at one time Cosby was like, I ain't messing with the rapidy rap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never heard from him. I didn't really Like I had two brief encounters with Bill mister Cosby give him that. So yeah, he never We got the call through Debbie that it was time to grow me up. Okay. He showed up when Whoope came to do the AIDS episode with t Campbell. He showed up for some pictures, but he really, you know, was behind the scenes, behind the scenes. He wasn't all he made shut. He shot his show in Queen's He said, you shoot your show in California, So we was there was no way to go, and they won't let me. They won't let me. Hey man, they won't let me. Can you help me with Now? Get out there, get your paddle, and get it home.
Speaker 5: I want to go back to pock real quick.
Speaker 4: People saying you said he was always angry, did anybody trying to intervene like men, because you know, I know he was very cool with the Jada pinkets and the Jasmine guys, but then any black men be like, what's up with brother man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't. I didn't feel comfortable approaching him because I would have I always think I have a you know, I still want to sit down with Kanye and just wasted. I don't think so. I think you know, yeah, I hear you, but.
Speaker 4: I always exist and hypnosis.
Speaker 2: I think if I sat down and we just became cool and they had some conversations, maybe he sees something anyway. But I didn't feel comfortable enough to approach him like that, Like he's doing his thing and I gotta kinda get out of the way. I can't really try to change that. That would be Foulet's see, he's on that path.
Speaker 5: So but then you see how it ended and that's.
Speaker 2: When you feel regret, Like I wish I would have just said, yeah, I know you might not like me or think I'm whatever, but let's sit down and talk why you We don't have to be this is free and easy.
Speaker 6: But I can understand like the hesitation, because sometimes you don't know how people will receive you exactly, you know, and especially if like you and you don't know what else he was going through, either like mentally or behind the scenes, you know, because acting was just another part of what you know he was doing, like rapping, and then you can even hear in his music, you know, like he had been troubled from you know, youth and all that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, maybe you just didn't.
Speaker 2: Know like I didn't since I'm not a therapist or anything like that. I was like, and you were young too, Yeah, yeah, exactly were pierced. So I would have loved to but you know, I would have loved him at doom like you know.
Speaker 6: That then and then the way did you see I really ain't.
Speaker 5: Talking to you?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Did you ever warn Jazzmine or Jada, like, hey man, no, I didn't.
Speaker 2: That was their relationship there, you know. So I was happy that that he had them in his life because I thought, well, I can't get to him. I'm not I'm not talking to him like that, so maybe you know, this will this will sue the spirit a little bit.
Speaker 5: I feel like every time I see you repping M. F.
Speaker 4: Doom in some way, shape or form, like like what the impacted his music have on you?
Speaker 2: I like stories, and forever you you talk about top fives, I'm always slick Rick in my top five because he took it to a place where was he was self deprecating. He was funny and he told you a story, and I thought, if you can do that, you win. Those guys super rhymes. Those guys, to me were the winners. And when Doom came along, he just it seemed like he was talking to English or speaking in English, but it was another language. And that was so attractive to me because then I had to decipher it. Same with Wu Tang or what the wallows? I never did, you know, since I didn't come from there, I didn't know what that was, and I had to listen to it and decipher it.
Speaker 5: I learned the supreme alphabet. When you learn the supreme althaba, you get a.
Speaker 4: Whole new appreciation like, oh yeah, God sphered the vine, Like yeah, so so you know, as a as a teaching tool, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I was always eager to learn from us in the places that I couldn't I haven't been, and Doom just he just opened it up for me. He said, hear ye, hear ye, how dare ye go up against the king? Would do his thing? Try yearly mm hmm. I was like, what does that mean? And then I looked at his catalog, and in that year he dropped three albums, a hymn album, a solo, a group album, and then a beat album. I was like, this dude is ridiculous, Like, oh, you make the beats and you write the rhymes and you say it in a way that nobody else is saying it. Still to this day, I think he's, you know, one of the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't get in the Dunes catalog the way that I should. I'm like, goo Face Killer is my favorite rappub all time.
Speaker 5: So I got into that album they did together, but I never got into like his his.
Speaker 2: Catag it's just weird. And as a as a comic nerd, and and and and that kid, you know a little bit shy. He spoke to me in a way that it's like Rick did that, Super Rhymes did that, you know, other Kendrick Lamar does.
Speaker 5: So who's the rest of the top five? Come on?
Speaker 2: Uh? Uh? I tried this, I really tried hard to do my top five, and then there was another five, and then there was another five. Then it turned into my top five times five. Okay, I have a top twenty five. Okay, and I'd have to get my phone. But most Death is there, Doom is there? Uh j idea of the young Cats. Yeah, Cole is there, Kendrick is there, Caine is there, Rock Chim is there, Chris is.
Speaker 5: There, Chris Brown.
Speaker 2: It's a different world, was a whole different world. Knowledge reigns supreme over nearly everyone.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I didn't do groups, so I didn't allow to I didn't allow dirty math. That's groups. I got a top seven, but the top twenty five times five, it just goes on. No Biggie of course. But there's Mount Rushmore, which is a big j Nas and Cain or Chris or whoever you're feeling at the time, and then.
Speaker 5: A Brooklyn bias what.
Speaker 4: Brooklyn three from Brooklyn on the Mount rush a lot of Brooklyn bios.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and then I start counting after that because I know that all of us can kind of agree on, you know, seven, And then I start digging into the minutia and start trying to find the dudes that really kind of slick ricked of course that really made hip hop and joy were for me, shooting groups, Dis's effects. They changed the whole way of speaking. So it was a mischief in the far side they in LA because I was really mad at the time. I was in LA and all I could get was I wasn't a big hot take. I wasn't a Snoop Dogg Doctor Dre fan. Really I didn't like what they were saying, and I was like, what is gin and Juice? I didn't even understand what that meant. So I bought the album. I bought two of them because I was supporting all of us, and then I didn't open it for years. And then when I finally opened it and I was a little more mature, I could see the fun in it, and I could see this is just a different part of the culture because it's the West Coast, and since I'm so East Coast dude. Three Brooklyn casts in the top five. It took me a while accept it, and then I production wise it was just philologist unbelievable. But the content always got to be for me. What you're talking about. Your cadence gotta be good, Tony, your voice gotta be good, your writing has to be good. And then what are you saying.
Speaker 5: Bis Biggie was talking about it just in that's true, it's true.
Speaker 2: But Biggie, what did you try to say? He was? And I didn't like that part. That was the part that that missed me when kicking the door with certain things. Just the way he rode a beat was just.
Speaker 5: Phenomenal.
Speaker 2: It's another it's another level.
Speaker 4: I think out of and out of everybody that we lost, I constantly think about where Biggie would have been because he was light years ahead of everybody's not too many gifted rappers. He was a gifted rapper. He was born to rape. And even when you listen to it now, you're like, damn, there's not one big saw you can't turn into a movie. Yeah, like literally, yep, not one yep.
Speaker 2: That's what That's what I'm saying, Brooklyn Bias, bro.
Speaker 4: That's why have you had a role this is fulfilling as your role is doing when yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: I've had I mean it's usually for me. How much fun am I having on set? And a few things can top a different world because I did it for so long and I grew up and I was it was the beginning. It was really like my introduction to the world. So that's special. But I can't imagine not ever have as much fun as I did doing I'm Gonna get your sucking.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Every day Clean would come in and just be like, go just let us be free. And Damon, who was a huge influence, so you know, huge like Eddie, Like I used to follow Damon around to the comedy clubs because I thought I want to do what he does. He's that good and that impression that made that kind of impression on me that I wanted. I wanted to I was gonna do stand up comedy, and he talked me right out of it. He was like, Bro, you have a TV show. This is what all the comics want. This is what you have, is what we're all trying to get. You don't want to be doing this in shitty little towns and staying in shitty little hotels and flying around damn shitty little plates.
Speaker 7: I ain't never do. They don't be putting like that.
Speaker 2: New age comed Yeah. Yeah, but back then it was grin. There was a lot of whole bunch of that, and getting up and at midnight and going to a club and then doing four clubs. And I was like, Okay, yeah, I think you're right. I don't want to do all of that, but yeah, I'm working with him on Sucker, working with Eddie, which he was like an idol, you know what I mean. There was no bigger influence than Eddie on anything I've done. So to do Vampire in Brooklyn and to get the call from him saying I've seen all the tapes. You the only want that could do this. Wow, I was like what but telling them to get the money right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was incredible. You know those times that I'll never forget. I just had the most amazing time on Teenage Bounty Hunters, you know, five six years ago, this little show where I was like, I'm gonna try something different. I'm gonna try something different voice, I'm gonna try something different with everything. I'm just gonna see if I can dig deeper. And they let me do it, and one of the most fulfilling wolves was playing bowser. It was hard to shake you know how. You know some people they they they lose themselves too far. But I was talking like that, dude for like two years after that. I couldn't. I couldn't shake it out of my voice. I got so comfortable in it and was having such a good time with it that I was still talking like this yet still walking around you doing all right. I couldn't find I couldn't find my register that I know that this is. And now I'm out of it. And it sounds weird because I was so comfortable in it. But yeah, I take the jobs for the fun. The money is a bonus. Actors, I say, we do it for free. We just pay us for waiting. Yeah. So, so all of them have really been a joy, because that's that's what I think I do best, even though I just realized that fifty and it's the thing that gives me the most joy.
Speaker 5: And you've been in the game thirty five years. Do you fear your careers missing anything?
Speaker 2: No, just you know, growth, just still want to keep doing it, still want to you know, I want to be a villain. I want to be a this. I want to do that. I'm like, it seems like we've gotten too old for the romantic leads, but I grew up in that, Like that was my thing. Like boy meets girl, boy chases girl.
Speaker 5: Are you too old? You're still fucking.
Speaker 2: But they don't seem to make movies with older you know, they're not. They're not looking for that, they're not they're not actively pursuing that. So it just seems like, oh, that's that might be a thing of the past maybe, but it could happen. Yeah, maybe happen. Yeah. So yeah. So I'm just I love this, bro, It's what I do. We always appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Just even to get to sit down a bill with you man, you and icon and I that Hilman bossity is very fresh.
Speaker 2: That's dope. Chip Monk Chronicles shout out to my man chips line again. Yespontel dot com. Deemed is what they're called them all.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: She got some and promo code that's right. Reboot now, reboot now, get you get some, get a little bit off and they go to the cause. They'll be giving some money some kids and uh hopefully get somebody into college.
Speaker 3: Well it's Kadeem Hardison yes, and it's The Breakfast Club. Good morning, wake that.
Speaker 2: Ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club