Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Center, the Datories. We can't get down to CPI. The former FED governor Bessie Jukes writing this, even if the tariff effect proofs, transitory inflation is likely to be at three percent or higher for more than five years. Betsy joins us. Now for more, Betsy, welcome to the program. Before we even talk about today's number, what does that say about the credibility the feder reserve, that we're going to be so above target for so long.
Speaker 1: I think it says a lot about the credibility, which is why I think it's a mistake to ignore where inflation is right now. If you look at where it's been and the Fed, it has been stationary or stuck for over a year now at three percent or higher, and so it's hard to argue that monetary policy is too tight.
Speaker 3: At this point, though, Betsy, couldn't you argue that it's okay that actually it's fostering The three percent inflation rate has been in some ways beneficial for certain aspects of the market.
Speaker 1: It may be for the market, but the thing is, the credibility of the Fed is based on anchoring inflation expectations and most people can't really accurately tell you a percentage of what they expect inflation to be, but they begin to build in sort of what recently was is what they expect, and if you have five years of over three percent, the expectations just instinctively are going to be for higher inflation.
Speaker 3: Right now, there seems to be this feeling that artificial intelligence is going to solve everything and that come next year you're going to start to see productivity increases that really triumph over any inflationary forces. How much do you think that that's factoring right now into the FEDS calculus.
Speaker 1: I don't think you've seen that yet, and I don't think the FED is counting on that at this point to bring inflation down well.
Speaker 4: When it comes to AI, though, at some point, how do they address this when maybe it's not even inflation issue it becomes a labor market issue.
Speaker 1: I think the labor market is going to get really difficult to judge because of mismatch in workers and jobs. So it seems that AI is impacting job market for particularly new college graduates. But those college graduates are not likely to take the jobs that are currently unfilled because of deportations and reductions and immigration.
Speaker 4: Let's see how difficult is this moment for the FED, And maybe not next week, but in the month's coming. If we remain in a government shutdown, we're day twenty four. No one's blinking, and we might continue to get CPI reports because we have to in terms of what it means for Social Security checks, but we might not have labor data.
Speaker 1: I think this is actually the reading that matters for Social Security checks, so you may not even get inflation data going forward. Will just have to deal with the data that it can get, and there is a fair amount of private sector data that's available. It won't be as good, but I think it will give them enough to be able to judge sort of generally where we are. Frankly, I don't think monetary policy is what's driving the economy right now. It is much more driven by fiscal policy. The great big beautiful bill currently, the government shut down, tariffs, immigration, deportations, all of these things, as well as just the uncertainty and unpredictability of policy right now.
Speaker 2: I see. I think that final point is a really really powerful one. And if something leasas us quite a few times, the federal Reserve is cutting interest rates responding to this massive downshift in payrolls. I think the question worth asking is what difference are those right cut signs you're going to make.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I think the FED would be well served to be very cautious in this environment.
Speaker 2: But I see if you think they will be cautious in this environment, they've basically managed to cover up differences on the committee at the moment by calling these risk management cuts. Now that risk management cuts that come with their own risks and Bessie, do you think that's going to come to the surface, not of this meeting, but maybe at the December one.
Speaker 1: I think it might come to the surface at this meeting. I think you might see descents on both sides at this meeting. The reason I say that is because this meeting sets a pattern. So if your pattern is quarter point every meeting, that's hardly a cautious cautious pattern in my.
Speaker 3: Mind going forward. Do you think that right now there is any reason to think that this feature reserve could actually become more hawkish in the near term, or do you think that ultimately it's going to come down to the long end of the yield curve and how much it's going to respond to exogenous factors and be the discipliner, if you will, on the market.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much the market is going to pressure the FED because if you start setting up an expectation for more and more C, but at some point the majority of the FED voters are going to feel uncomfortable with that pace, and then there's going to be it's going to appear to be a hockey stern, although it might not actually be if you'd been in the room for the entire discussion.
Speaker 2: Bessie, this was thoughtful. We appreciate it. Thanks for being with us. The form of FED Governor of Bessie joke just ahead of that CPI data