Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Nol.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben and you can too. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are you. You are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know? And we are recording on Monday, July sixth. Guys, here in our episode doc we usually have like some kind of inspirational pull quote or something apropos, but now we have a surprise. It is a strange confluence of events that we would be recording today's episode on July sixth, because get this, folks, it is World Zoonosis Day.
Speaker 4: Dude, tell what is zonosis? Is this like a utopia?
Speaker 3: I think it is like zoonotics, like not good, not casered infection that passes from a non human animal to a human animal. World Zoonosis Day commemorates the very first rabies vaccine, which was given on July sixth, eighteen eighty five and is commemorated to serve as a reminder of the ongoing threat posed by zoonotic diseases. It's a holiday that a lot of us haven't heard about, including yours.
Speaker 2: Truly, well, we are so glad to be here celebrating with you in this moment from the past. While you're listening to this episode WASHERR Gosh, speaking of anniversaries, guys, we should at least mention it here at the top of the show. The United States recently two days ago turned two hundred and fifty years. That's uh, it's pretty great, huh.
Speaker 3: Freedom to fifty baby, or America two.
Speaker 5: Fifty right, Well, that's the one as intended. Yes, maybe we walked through that just briefly. With the deal was that that was a taxpayer funded initiative to do some festivities for the anniversary of America the two hundred and fiftieth birthday, and then Trump sort of did a little bit of a switcherroony on that and target started his own pack that was called Freedom to fifty that essentially subsumed the original much more bipartisan initiative and basically made it where all of the activities and festivities were kind of enriching him and his Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes with Sessquininnial. I want to say, is the word that's probably the best thing to come from that celebration. Let me make sure I get the word right.
Speaker 2: Here, Okay, I would just say the one the one thing that really stood out to me, And there are a lot of things that stood out there we go they're worth mentioning. Just when it comes to that celebration, you talk about the weather, how you know nature itself didn't want the festivities to contult it. But just there was a singer on stage before Greenwood or you know that guy that sings that one song that he wrote that one time, I'm proud to be in America. Least we can sing. Before all that occurred, there's another singer out there just doing playing the hits, America's hits, and at one point he yelled to the audience mid song, let the President hear you, as though it was you know it. It reminded me a lot of this concept that there's some ruler behind the scenes that is listening and needs to hear your adorations or else, what are we doing this?
Speaker 3: For sure?
Speaker 2: Does one man needs to be built up so much because he can't handle not being built up.
Speaker 3: It reminded me very much of the Hunger Games young adult novels which were later adapted into a film series. And also Folks, just to beat the emails here, I was incorrect. Transparency is important. It is not the Sesquis centennial. It is the semi quin centennial. That's two hundred and fifty years. So that's the best. That's the best takeaway. It's yeah, the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. Now, how did we go from Let's see, we started talking about zoonotic disease. We went to July fourth.
Speaker 2: About infectious things, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And remember years back before the outbreak of the COVID nineteen pandemic, we did a lot of research on things like the rise of the superbug, and all of the research we looked into indicated pre COVID that a global pandemic was on the horizon was statistically inevitable. Now, this prediction was not based on any kind of insider information, no strange powers of deduction or weird Edgar Casey style prophecies. We just acknowledged that rising pollution, rising population centers, and density of populations antibiotic mass dosinge of livestock, bioweapon experiments. All these factors indicated something was going to go wrong and soon. So now two hundred and fifty years, in a few days after the foundation of the United States, we are called back to this line of inquiry. Folks. Those same experts are increasingly skittish. The people who tried to warn the world before COVID are now raising the same flags, making the same clarion calls because some of the warning signs that they clocked earlier long ago are back in play or were never resolved in the first place. So we're returning to doozy tonight, folks. What are the next pandemics and what do they mean for the future. Here are the facts, all right, just a brief thing, because we know this can be confusing. You have endemic diseases, you have disease epidemics, and then you have pandemics. So to understand pandemics, we have to understand and what we could call their little brother, the epidemic.
Speaker 2: What is an epidemic?
Speaker 5: Indeed, yes, it's wait a minute, so a pandemic.
Speaker 4: It crosses international.
Speaker 5: Borders, right, it's more of a worldwide concern. An epidemic maybe is just a little more not micro, but it's a little more contained than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. An epidemic is an outbreak of disease that's generally, as you said, going to be confined to a single part of an area, like a single country or maybe even a single population, and it spreads rapidly within a short period of time. So an endemic is a disease that is historically consistently present, but it's linked to a particular region like malaria is the most famous example of an endemic disease, right, And epidemic is when a disease has a rapid increase in infection in that specific area. And like you were saying, a pandemic is sort of our final boss. It is a disease with exponential growth. The difference all comes down to the rate of spread rather than to the severity of the specific disease. And so if it goes on a J curve and all of a sudden, this thing that used to only happen in a specific part of Eastern Europe or Southeast Asia or South America, all of a sudden it becomes an international lethal superstar, and a J curve that's a pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's particularly troubling when one of these begins to rise in a place that has a lot of transportation, specifically air and ship like boat transportation, where you've got folks lots and lots of folks traveling internationally. And then I mean, that's exactly what happened with the COVID outbreak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and epidemics, by the way, you'll hear that phrase thrown around a lot in popular news. It can take all kinds of forms an epidemic. It occurs through a variety of factors. They don't always have to be this interesting because an epidemic doesn't always have to describe an infectious disease. That's why you read about stuff like a heart disease epidemic, right, or an obesity epidemic. All that means in that usage is that more people than the historical average are contracting a condition at a faster rate than expected, and we got to keep an eye on it. Health experts take epidemics so seriously because it's like, you know, it's like if you have a problem in your car and you don't address it, it becomes a bigger problem down the road. That's why you know. That's why Stephen King wrote an awesome novel about a news reign of influenza. That's an that was an epidemic that became a pandemic.
Speaker 2: It's interesting how that word gets thrown around in pop culture, specifically with comedians. I like, do a quick Google search for Bill Burr epidemic and just see what you come up with. It's interesting how that term is used to describe the quick transmission of something that has nothing to do with being sick or you know, microbes or viruses.
Speaker 3: And it's never it's actually, maybe we can flip the script here. Epidemic is is always going to have an English and negative common connotation. Nobody is like, oh my gosh, we had an epidemic of fun.
Speaker 5: Maybe you know it's I don't mind that turn of phrase, though, I would appreciate that as someone word to trot that out. Guys, this is an epidemic of fun.
Speaker 4: Reclaim the word, guys, reclaim epidemic script.
Speaker 2: We have an epidemic of red cards being overturned by administration. Yo.
Speaker 4: That's something maybe we reserve for strange news.
Speaker 5: But when does it end, guys in the influence.
Speaker 3: An epidemic of corruption.
Speaker 4: That's what we can say.
Speaker 5: It's not even controversial, not even I'm sorry, it's just it's a great pandemic now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we also know pandemics. Once you get to that final boss level, a pandemic is often not going to be just one big push like the end of a Dragon Ball Z episode. It's going to be something that occurs with frequency in ways. Pandemics have a very nasty habit of spreading. Like all of us who are live post COVID nineteen lockdown, Congratulations, We're glad you're here, Thanks for tuning in. You know full well that the spread of a disease can appear to temporarily EBB, right, and then it's followed by another period of high infection, often driven by by people relaxing too much, or by god, infection mutating and evolving.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry the way you put that then has made me chuckle. A epidemic of relaxation.
Speaker 3: We had a.
Speaker 2: But Ben, you're still right. I'm just on that thinking about the mutation of something like a virus, and how many times through that, you know, from twenty nineteen all the way up until today when we see all the different variations, right, the news often talks about a variant. Sometimes you'll hear subclade as a word that gets thrown around, just a highly mutated version of the same thing. It's just now got different parts of it that infect people more effectively often or are more severe in the symptoms that they cause. And you, guys, remember earlier this year we heard a lot on the news about super flu. Remember this, yes, and just how that was so not played up. It was still dangerous, right, dangerous because it was infecting people more quickly and more effectively than other strains of the same flu with H three and two one of the flus, but it was talked about. My point I'm getting to here when we're talking about these mutations and how dangerous that little thing can be as it's going from host to host to host and changing the news often, I would say, plays on people's fear. And I wonder how much of that is just the need for clicks, the need to be the first to the post, the need you know, is it all of that? Do you think, guys, or are we just are we relaxed as you're saying, Ben, are we in that that downturn of just being and feeling relaxed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's too quiet. Eye of the storm to changes. We create a strain.
Speaker 4: Accepted.
Speaker 3: I mean it's true, right, the avenue flow, and people are losing lives, they're losing their jobs when stuff like this happens. Check out our earlier episode about mirror Life where we talk about the quick pace of evolution, the very very tiny things, and that's I do agree with.
Speaker 2: You, Matt.
Speaker 3: I think we can all agree that there is a lot of fear mongering, especially as legitimate journalism erodes, continues to decay and be targeted, and the journalism we're left with often becomes increasingly performative, increasingly bred in circuses. So maybe, yeah, maybe they do want to be Promethean, be first to the post. At least we can tell you a little trick. Always check out the news articles, past the headlines and look for people who are specifically citing public health experts, not necessarily political higher right, which is fine, We're not casting inspersion on them. But if you have problems with like a government person say warning you about a disease, go check out the nerds in the ivy leagues. Go find out what this guy from Harvard is saying. About hauntavirus. Right, those are the people who should be headlined in the news.
Speaker 5: Well, and this came up in a recent I think it was Strange News or maybe it was a listener mail, because we had somebody write in about a particular news aggregating app and we got into our particular methods for finding the heart of stories. And at time that's increasingly kind of muddied by you know, negative rhetoric around the press, and also the fact there are some real problems with the press in terms of like trying to be the quickest to market with a story and and doing so sort of cutting corners and not having the same level of journalistic ethics that maybe once apply when things were more print driven. So you really do just have to to your point. But I think the thing that you brought to that conversation was read a study. Even if you can't get the whole thing, you can get so much information just by reading the abstract, the little you know, the before the fold kind of summary of an academic or scientific study, and those things are out there and to your point as well, you can even email researchers and they love to hear from you to get the full text, but more important now than ever to not just you know, believe what's what's put in front of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, triangulate your sources always. This is also folks, This is part of this approach, is part of how we ended up befriending the world's foremost expert on underwater explosions. That is a true story, Doctor Rachel Big Spinach Lance.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, but a big Spinach.
Speaker 4: Herself dubbed nickname.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Well, it's just such a good point, Ben talking about the politicization of science and institutions that represent science that's supposed to be at the cutting edge and supposed to be on the front lines of protecting people, like at the Centers for Disease Control, the Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and National Institutes of Health. How often and a new administration can come in in the US and put a figurehead of sorts at the at the top of one of these organizations that is really more of a liaison between that organization and the administration. Often not always. Sometimes they're the best at the game and they're there, they're doing their thing. Sometimes it's both. Sometimes it's just somebody who's kind of putting you know, some policies forward and using these organizations to do it. It's tough to know where you are right in that in that spectrum of are we actually getting the best information here or are we being told things that somebody wants us to hear. It's a scary position to be in as a passive interpreter of the news, Like we all are right, we're all just doing that thing, trying to figure out and triangulate. I would just say, right now, when we look out as we're going to do as we're doing right now in this episode, looking out at the potentials that are coming our way, the viruses, the iicky things that might get inside our bodies, it is tough to trust anybody right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's tough to verify in a lot of ways, right I mean, Reagan was not the best actor, not the best president. But trust but verify is is a pretty interesting philosophical perspective.
Speaker 5: I think we dropped that all the time, and Matt dare we say difficult but also unwise.
Speaker 4: To trust anyone?
Speaker 5: And I hate to be that guy or that that's like sort of our mantra here on the show is trust no one. But I mean people are there are some bad actors out there that are trying to, you know, take control of the narrative. And it's really really important now more than ever to be wise to that. So don't go living your life in fear thinking everyone's trying to do you harm. But just keep your eyes open. Trust but verify, I think is the way, right.
Speaker 3: And remember, no one thinks they're the bad guy, which.
Speaker 5: Makes it even more dangerous, right because they're doing God's work right, right, especially.
Speaker 2: The guy that's got the you know, the microphone connected up to to your thing, going oh what did they say? What are they saying? Oh God, what did they say?
Speaker 3: Everybody?
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is that the person, the perhaps like creepiest person in all of this is the one that's listening and trying to verify, right, Which is scary because that that ends up being the person that we have to trust, is the person that is checking on everybody else because they're terrified of what everybody else might be doing. It's it's a messed up situation. It feels very similar to me, guys, when I'm looking out of the landscape of all of these things, like having a parental guardian or someone in your family that is supposed to be looking out for you right as a child or something, but they've got maybe a medical condition or I'm imagining bipolar or a substance abuse problem, where you never know if you're going to get the good version of dad or mom or like the really really bad version.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the shadow version.
Speaker 2: They look the same, they sound the same. When we're talking about looking at a news article, right, or something coming from one of these official organizations. It looks the same, it sounds the same, but you have no idea if it's going to be the good or the bad version.
Speaker 3: And we also know that a lot of people didn't listen to the experts historically. I don't know if it's specifically a US thing. I think now it's more revalent across the world. But we know that until COVID nineteen hit in twenty eighteen twenty nineteen, right until COVID nineteen hit, a lot of people were not listening to the boffins right. They were to breathless headlines, and they were listening to what told them their identity and pre existing beliefs were correct. So in the years that followed, pretty much every aspect of the outbreak was heavily weaponized, like you were saying earlier, Matt, for one reason or another, it absolutely made the situation worse. People were looking for trusted sources, right, but their framework had been so warped and messed with, so fuxed with that it was difficult for them to find those sources. And countries then already were not booed up with each other, China, Russia, and the US in particular, they went crazy blaming each other. And even now we're recording again on July sixth, twenty twenty six, a lot of scientists are still debating the origin story of COVID, and a lot of the politicians are expressly not helping solve the mystery because they're trying to score points with their constituents.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and as we learned earlier on this show, the folks at the Nai D sure don't want you to know they were sponsoring gain of function research in a little city called Wuhan in China, specifically about coronaviruses. They do not want you to know that or think about that, right, But.
Speaker 3: We do check out our multiple episodes on that. So it's funny because we often when we're doing this as a peep behind the curtain. I'm looking over here at our research. We often put in our related episodes from the past in case we need to refer back to them. And guys, did you know that we have seven coronavirus episodes?
Speaker 4: Unfortunately a bit of a hot topic.
Speaker 3: It was a bit of a It was a bit of a time, and we know that we were recording a lot of those during the height of the COVID lockdowns. The same first time we did this, right, yeah, crap the city. Yep, the first time we went into remote recording, which has normalized for us today. While we were recording these things, while everybody was dealing with the COVID lockdowns and all the fallout, those same scientists that have been telling the world to watch out for something like COVID, they said, Okay, maybe now you'll take us seriously and know that we're not the kids who cried wolf. There is another pandemic or series of pandemics inevitably on the horizon. Everybody is hoping that we could take the lessons learned from COVID nineteen and apply them towards monitoring these things. We will call emergent threats and there are a lot of them. It was funny. I think a lot of us saw this. About six months ago, the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, had an in depth interview where he estimated there's a ten to fifteen percent chance of a natural pandemic urging within the next four years. A lot of us are going to say, Bill Gates, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well but you know ebstin files.
Speaker 5: But also Bill Gates got to give him maybe a little credit where credit is due of some of the billionaire gazillionaires. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has done good work with you know, doing research into infectious diseases.
Speaker 4: In other countries and other parts.
Speaker 5: Of the world. So he definitely was coming at that information from a place of you know, of research, like a research place, you know.
Speaker 3: Because he doesn't he's not an expert himself.
Speaker 5: No, but he's surrounded by them and they've been doing this work. I'm not trying to say he's one of the guys, but I'm just saying it was.
Speaker 4: Accurate the information in this particular discussion.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Yes, yeah, I agree with you. There. He hired some of the best and brightest on earth to fight.
Speaker 5: This, but wasn't there even an argument too that him coming out with that information in the way he did also in some ways represented a kind of agenda. I want to say that we talked about this, that there was something to do with the way he came out with that information that in and of itself had some sort of nefarious undertone.
Speaker 2: Well, we'd know why people in general hold a distrust for somebody like Bill Gates because of the money and power one person can wield. Right. That doesn't mean Bill Gates is doing the conspiratorial things that are alleged on forums that you'll find, but it does mean that, I think, guys, we can fully understand why people are have a hard time fully trusting him, or the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, or something like the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations, which is one of the things that Bill and Melinda Gates and their foundation founded along with the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. Because a lot of us associate some of that stuff with the bigger government thing, right, that the thing that would be labeled illuminati, right, something that is done by billionaires, potentially for billionaires, But on the face of it, it looks like philanthropy or you know, good works to help humanity.
Speaker 3: Right, like a hidden I think that's what you're saying, though, like a possible hidden financial That's what I'm getting.
Speaker 5: It was something to do with as well. They were like these events two oh one modeling exercises that sort of stemmed from some of those talks that there was some conspiratorial chatter around. But it's a little hazy for me. But that's the problem, right, Like we're literally saying, Okay, good on you Bill Gates for you know, predicting this stuff and for doing this work. But then immediately like what did I just say? Of course he's doing it for the wrong.
Speaker 3: Reasons, right, And sometimes doing the right things for the wrong reasons still creates the same effect. Like he has the Gates Foundation, the Gates Foundation posts the divorce right, the Gates Foundation has hired again some of the best and brightest minds in the field of pathology, public health, all related disciplines. And when he say, when Gates is saying a ten to fifteen percent chance of an outbreak, he's really quoting all those people he paid to do mind breaking research, And yeah, ten to fifteen percent doesn't sound like much, but we have to remember if another pandemic occurs, and statistically it will, that small percentage equates to hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of fatalities. People can't agree on the specifics, but they all have inside and outside the Gates Foundation. Pretty much everybody on the planet who is qualified to look into this returns to one damning, terrifying consensus. When this thing emerges, whatever it may be, humanity will be thoroughly unprepared. It reminded me of the Cohen Brothers film. I think it's Cohen Brothers. Oh brother, where art thou? Where?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Ulysses? Everett McGill keeps saying, is you is or.
Speaker 4: Is you ain't? My constituency?
Speaker 3: He keeps saying Ulysses. Everett McGill keeps saying, we're in a tight spot.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Oh yeah, I also tight spot. I made it infinitely quotable that movie.
Speaker 3: I wonder if he kept saying it because he forgot the lines in the script, because like, there's a run you guys remember where he just someone's like, oh blah blah blah, new information for the story dialogue, and he's.
Speaker 5: Like, we're in a tight spots, very funny and also people for people kind of forget that that was That was the odyssey is what that movie is sort of based on.
Speaker 4: Very much, very interested to see it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: All this kerfuffle about Chris Nolan's honesty, we should talk about that on Strange News this week too, But.
Speaker 2: I still going to see it.
Speaker 4: I'm with you, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I will see it for sure.
Speaker 2: Bigger vision. Yeah, serious question. Do you think that ten to fifteen percent, as quoted by the Gates Foundation as a potential new pandemic? Do you think that is based on zoo the chances of a new zoanotic form of a disease we're aware of, or do you think that's taking into account all of the diseases that are being manufactured in the GAINO function research in labs, or the chances of a leak from one of these supposedly secure facilities. I do wonder that ten fifteen percent chance is just like the scientific version of hey, one of these might mutate enough to then jump to humans or attend a fifteen percent chance that there's another mess up at a lab.
Speaker 3: Right, whether it's based on abstract modeling or whether it's based on knowledge of current applied by a weaponry research really.
Speaker 5: Quickly, guys, I just found a really fascinating term. I was trying to figure out what I was thinking about with this gate stuff and any potential criticisms philanthro capitalism gonna leave that there just.
Speaker 3: Perfect well or learning so many new words today, I couldn't be more excited. And that is a question because as we're going to see that, that's a great question that ten to fifteen percent, what's the methodology? How is it derived? The reason that's such a great question is because there is a lot of stuff they don't want you to know about gain of function research. Like you've been saying, Matt, we also know that climate change is fundamentally altering all the old checks and balances can't recommend our mirror life episode enough. Geopolitical cooperation, forget about it. That stuff is plummeting, income inequalities on the rise. Everything that is bad for humanity is kind of happening to some degree. And on the flip side, all of those things that are bad for the human animals are great for the organisms that create infectious disease, a new pandemic on the way. We have a question what will cause this pandemic? Who would our culprit be so more bad news? Get this, fellow conspiracy realist. There's way more than what.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's so many.
Speaker 3: There's so many. It's an embarrassment of riches.
Speaker 4: And definitely an embarrassment we have.
Speaker 3: We have an ad break ahead, and we'll dive into it. Here's where it gets crazy. It's just like the usual suspect. Sorry, I'm throwing so many pop culture references, guys, but.
Speaker 4: You never apologize for that.
Speaker 2: I mean, these are the best I know.
Speaker 4: I'm a fan personally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, carry on, I mean think of like your favorite Who Done It? Mystery novels? All right, we have a straight up rogues gallery of diseases that could potentially go worldwide, either through human tinkering, environmental factors, socio political factors, or just plain old force hack of evolution. They're all waiting for just the right recipe of bad luck to run wide rife across the planet. Big thanks to Frank Wilharan for teaching us the word wide.
Speaker 2: Rife, not matt rife.
Speaker 4: No, I think he learned that from the Brits, though, to be focus, he.
Speaker 3: Did learn it from the Big thanks to our British cousins as well, and good luck to Matt Rife on purchasing the the museum. I'm trying to remember the name of the museum, but the Lorraine Ed and Lorden Ed and Lorraine Warren.
Speaker 4: Oh, right with the doll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Ben, do you is there a place people can go to see a generalized list of some of the things we're going to talk about. I've found one on that cep I dot net, the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations. They kind of list them off and you can dig deep or if you want to, in each one individually if you're trying to support your own research. There's so much that we're going to get into here, it gets it gets quite confusing, Ben and Nol For me personally, as I'm thinking about some of these different viruses, because they all do seem to be they seem more related in my head than they are because they are occurring across the world in different places, in different pockets. Right as we're talking about the potential endemics or just a potential you know, outbreak, a small outbreak in one area, Especially when we get into things like a bola and chicken. I don't even know how to say it, chicken gunya. Some of these things are a little more isolated, but then some of them really are spreading pretty quickly or more widely, but not in a pandemic way.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, that's a great question, Matt. We highly recommend checking out the World Health Organization aside from, you know, some of the conspiratory thoughts we've entertained about this outfit in the past. For years, they have kept a list of viruses and bacteria with the potential to metastasize into pandemic level threats. Some of these old beans, right, Some of these you probably have never heard of unless you're unlucky enough to be infected, and some have gained new horrifying relevance in just like the past few years or even the past few months. Shout out to Marburg. We got to get to that one. But if we want to blaze through some real quickly. Nepa virus. I hate how it sounds like a kawhi right yeah, yeah, Oh, go to McDonald's and get your happy meal. It comes with a Nepa virus.
Speaker 2: I genuinely don't know if that's how I've been pronouncing it too, Ben. I do wonder if it is differently pronounced, because it is it. I can't remember if it's China based. I know it's on the Asian continent, but if if it's like a knee paw or you know, just a different nipa. Yeah, yeah, it's such a different sound that you can make. Right.
Speaker 3: If it's total We're just saying nepa virus because it's a real way to say. That's what it looks like. It's an iph n iPAH and it is as you were saying, Matt. It is by far most prevalent in parts of the Asian continent, and outbreaks of this virus occur pretty much every year on that continent. They barely make Western news. It is eunatic. It can be carried by fruit, bats, cats, dogs, horses, pigs, and any of them can give it to a human organism. This scary part is it has a forty to seventy five percent fatality rate for humans soon.
Speaker 2: It's really scary. That's scary.
Speaker 3: Every year, the almost every year, virtually every year this is happening, and people are through like, these are not bad people, these are innocent people. They can track this virus and they have a forty chance of die in the best of us.
Speaker 2: Well, it's in the same family as measles and mumps, which if you know you know about those things where you're actually getting the physical manifestation on your skin of the thing that's also going to affect you know, the rest.
Speaker 5: Of your body is also vaguely plaguelike in the whole, and it's been that also means it's been there for a while, right when you start exhibiting on the skin, which also you know, the best way to compare it is, or a good way to compare it is the old adage about seeing roaches in your house.
Speaker 3: If you see one roach in your house, they've been around for a hot they've been around. That means they're a lot more.
Speaker 2: Then, think about how scary this is because it can jump from all of these different species, right, canines, felines, horses, pigs like anti hue umans, And every time there's that jump, that's where it gets really scary, right guys. I mean maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's where it gets the most scary because a jump to another species means some new mutations like heavily mutated to be able to jump to a new species and infect that species.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it always seems actly a real indicator that things are about to go pear shaped.
Speaker 2: Well when you're talking about the age of it, right in showing those symptoms and then being able to jump to that many species. That's why that one is I'm assuming guys, that's one of the reasons's at the top of our list because all it takes is a few more changes in that thing, and now it affects you as a human in a different way, and it's way worse than forty to seventy five percent.
Speaker 3: Rtality, and it can evolve more approach vectors as well, right, so then it maybe one day evolution says, uh, we're a little NEPA virus. You tired of hopping around with cats and dogs, You should get into birds, and then you know, then there's a whole nerds, what fly? Birds what fly? And birds which cast away?
Speaker 2: Genuinely, guys, doesn't that make it one of the most terrifying ones on here, because that means nepavirus is probably target number one, if not one, through three of gain of function research to come up with vaccines to fight against it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very fatile. Yeah, And that's that's a great point, Matt, because there are some what we call monoclonal antibiotic or antibody treatments, but as of yet, as we're recording, there is no known vaccine for this infection at all. So if you if you snag an infection of the cutes named nepavirus, and we don't want to make too much light of it, because a ton of people have died from this. If you snag it an infection, this is real, Jesus, take the wheel stuff. You are going to become religious quickly. And the best way to combat it, since there's not a vaccine, is to try to avoid all those transmission vectors we named like stay away from bats. Not to sound anti bat, uh. You can't eat fruit that fruit bats may have nibbled on. You have to be careful drinking broad juice in case an infected bat fed upon that fruit before it became part of your juice. And also, remember how washing groceries was kind of propagandistic panic during COVID. You have to do that with NEPA. You have to wash the fruit, you should probably peel it. Actually, maybe just go light on the fruit.
Speaker 5: This is not medical advice, no, but I mean fruit is Ultimately it's a lot of sugar.
Speaker 4: You gotta be careful. Don't don't overdo it.
Speaker 6: Don't over pine Apple is amazing distances vegetable, the only edible from meliad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair. That is fascinating. But I don't know how it's good for your gun. But yeah, I hear you. No, you're right, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 3: And there's some other benefits to pineapple.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've heard some some, Yeah, ok.
Speaker 3: Some potentially.
Speaker 2: Pineapple is one of the best things ever created.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 5: I know. That really makes you look like you like you're you're very successful in posh carry around a pineapple, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Yeah, we have a whole episode on ridiculous history.
Speaker 4: Pineapple rentals.
Speaker 3: Yes about pineapple rentals. Do check it out. Do check it out. Wash your hands, wash your fruit, and watch out for this is an interesting name, the crimean congo hemorrhagic fever.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't like the sound of that.
Speaker 5: Nothing kawai about that one, guys, not at all hemorrhagic. I assume that means it causes one to hemorrhage.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yeah, and this this spreads from another insidious fector from uh, one of the great assholes of nature, a tick, or in a livestock that's been infected by again one of the great a assholes of nature.
Speaker 2: The tick worse second only to the mosquito.
Speaker 3: Second to the mosquito. Yeah, but I bet they hang out, I know.
Speaker 5: But the tick is the silent killer though. You know, you catch a tick in some tall grass, you don't even know it's there. Mosquito buzzes around and bites you. You kind of know what happened at the very least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point. Also, we should do an episode on lime disease.
Speaker 5: I was about to say, these days, at least in the States, you're a lot less likely to contract malaria from a mosquito bite than you are a lime disease from a secret tick hangaround.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's another I would call that a silent epidemic in the States right now, totally. Oh, we know that to get creman congo you have to come in close contact with blood or other bodily fluids from a person who was infected earlier. So as ever, again not medical advice. These are just your pals on stuff they don't want you to know. Giving you an adage as ever, don't put your hands in other people's wounds if you could help it, and do your best not to let somebody spit in your mouth.
Speaker 4: Okay, rules to live by pretty good.
Speaker 3: Not to yock anybody's album, but that's basic day one stuff, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But these kinds of diseases are terrifying because if you're if you have a loved one, let's say, a child, a spouse, you know someone in your immediate family that has contracted something like this, especially when you're not aware that they've contracted this yet, you are going to be around these people doing things if it's your spouse. My god, we humans do weird things to each other that involve all kinds of things and mouths and other parts of our bodies. And if you don't know, you're you know someone is infected yet. That's why this kind of stuff can spread, right, And we also we learned about funerary rites in a couple of places where we were talking about a bull while back. Just the absolutely innocent ways that human beings end up spreading disease like this, just because of close personal relationships.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also because of socio religious requirements, there's stuff that you can't not do and some funereal rights. And I love that point, Matt. We also know that Crimean Congo has a ten to forty percent fatality rate. That's a wide variation and a lot of it is due to lack of public health institutions and support. So this could be a solvable problem. It's endemic, like we said, it occurs regularly throughout parts of Africa, the Balkans, Middle East Asia. You don't hear a ton about it in Western news just yet. It's gross though. It does serious damage to your organs, your cardiovascular system, and it includes a lot of heavy bleeding. And this is a little conspiratorial. Well, I have spent too much time on it, but I love your take. Guys. There is technically a vaccine for this infection. However, that vaccine only exists in Bulgaria. It's the only place that exists. There's no peer reviewed research on it that we could find, and it is not legal to be used anywhere else but Bulgaria. What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 4: Is it faith?
Speaker 3: Is it propaganda?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, how could you make something like that and not give it to the world.
Speaker 5: So I've been watching I think I mentioned off air the West Wing a lot as sort of a remedy to some of the craziness going on in.
Speaker 4: Our political atmosphere.
Speaker 5: And there's an episode that just happened where there was discussions with the President of Kenya, I believe, about the AIDS epidemic that was going on there at the time, at the table with all these pharmaceutical CEOs and this whole you know, discussion around how why are we not providing affordable AIDS medication to you know, this country whose citizens are literally dying. I believe the number was something around thirty five to forty percent of citizens of the country were infected with HIV. And it just that that reminds me of what you're talking about here, and just the whole like business of pandemics, the business of infection, and how there could be things that could save people's lives. Because of politics and you know, trade agreements, et cetera, they might not be made available or it might not be you know, tenable to literally save human lives.
Speaker 3: I like that sort of phrase. Noal and terrifying the business of disease, the business of infections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, because as we learned, the vaccines are a major they could they could be very low for organizations as we saw, especially when a government is buying them, or governments across the globe start buying their developing their own. This thing that we're talking about, Ben, this is a I'm not going to say it, right philo philo viruses like the hemorrhagic fever ones like ubola. This is in that same like range, Rightah, exactly, And there there is a huge vaccine library for various strains and forms of these types of fevers, hemorrhagic fevers that exist out there. It is strange that this one would have a singular country that is developed one and they're holding it close. I do. I do wonder if it's just is it too early? Is this one of those that is pretty recently created. I guess that's the big question. Because it's recently created, then these other countries have to get a hold of vaccine, you know, test it enough to then get it approved by whatever bodies are out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hopefully that is the case. And it's it's strange that it's always a question we'd love to hear your thoughts on that as well. Folks. We'll run through a couple quick ones maybe before we get to the big Daddy's loss of fever. Nothing to do with mango LASSI carried via rats primarily a couple of Yeah, it's another one endemic to parts of West Africa, so it keeps. Recurring fatality rate is comparatively low, still terrible, one to fifteen percent, especially deadly for pregnant people and fetuses in the third trimester. If you get infected or your parent gets infected while they're carrying you. If neither of you die, you as the child still run a very high risk of becoming death for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, Yeah, that's crazy that it would affect you that way, like specifically.
Speaker 3: Target specifically the hearing right. Yeah, it shows us that we have more to learn. Because rats harry the virus. We know that it spreads when you accidentally touch rat poop right or contaminated food. If you have direct being diplomatic about this, direct interactions with the bodily fluids of another person who has infected you will also contract it. There is no vaccine. The good news is that the primary transmission vector right now in its current form is that specific type of rat, which means that the disease in its current state is limited to areas where that particular rat already lives. So careful at the pet store.
Speaker 4: I think I might have a rat in the walls in my garage. Guys, I smelt it. I mean it's I think it's dead. But that's how it goes. You can't really find the dead thing, and hopefully the smell will subside, and a few.
Speaker 7: And a few I hate it for you, man that he it's the thing. That's what happened. That's exactly what happened. And I noticed that it wasn't just the run of the mill basement smell. Hopefully it didn't have any kind of infectious disease.
Speaker 2: Quick reminder, as we've been just kind of saying, just reminder, interacting with rat feces, mice feces, other rodent feces like that can be enough to get you infected. Remember pretty recently we talked about the andes virus or hantavirus. And notice that that's not on this list, and I don't think it is in this list at all, by the way, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Good news about hantavirus.
Speaker 5: I don't have any kind of vermin problem. This is not something it's just you know, when it gets.
Speaker 2: Hot, it only takes one baby.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying though.
Speaker 5: So just don't think that you're safe because you think don't have any kind of any kind of rat or mouse problem.
Speaker 4: They can find their way in, especially when it gets really really hot. That's crazy weather they had.
Speaker 3: The fecal contamination of the contamination may.
Speaker 4: Not be visible to you can be in there.
Speaker 3: You don't want to sound like fun police saying don't play with poop, But don't play with poop.
Speaker 5: Better get some slime, Yeah, get some gat Nickelodeon, Oh Japan, We've come so far in the slime game Cloud Slime, all kinds of fun slime opportunities.
Speaker 3: It's very popular with kids these days.
Speaker 4: Apparently you can make it yourself.
Speaker 5: All you need is Elmer's glue contact solution and some sort of scent or coloring.
Speaker 3: Oh and we have to shaving cream, sorry, shaving crease. Okay, yeah, let's do some science experiments, guys. We also have to mention h Like you said, Matt, mosquitoes are probably even bigger jerks than ticks when it comes to the spread of a lot of these infections, thinking specifically DJ Khaled voice another one, Rift Valley fever and zica. Remember when everybody was very worried about zica and then sort of forgot about it.
Speaker 4: That's kind of how these things go.
Speaker 3: Man, It's still it's still happening. Rift Valley has a fatality rate of less than one percent, but unfortunately eight to ten percent of people who get it, if they're infected, they don't die. They still get eye lesions, encephalitis, morrhagic fever, and there is a vaccine, but there's still a lot of testing to be done. And zica is not often fatal, but it deserves a mention here because it can cause some just truly unclean things miscarriages, still birth, heartbreaking birth defects like micro cephally. It's yeah, it's there's no no efficacious treatment, there's no vaccine. The only bright side is that zeka, like LASA, is limited to areas where those infected mosquitoes already live.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really scary just to add the list simply because it's non in here and is one you can look up is that chic and Gunya disease is another one of these mosquito born or uh what is it? What do we say? Biting flies? Like any insect that bites and potentially so yeah, get into your blood. Uh, it's just another really dangerous one. And it's one of it's Some of these just have such it's weird to me. Some of these, like the one we're mentioning Zeca, has such a low morbidity rate, But then some of them have crazy high morbidity rates but also don't seem to be spreading as much and don't seem to be as much of a problem. But every time one of these things gets on a list like this, it just raises the chances that there's some pharmaceutical company that wants to do that gaino function research. I'm sorry to keep doing the same thing as beating the dead horse here. It's the money wants to get in there and test these things and see how deadly they can make them so they can save the world one day when it's time to give out the vaccines, or at least convince you that you have to get around of like six vaccines.
Speaker 3: And our producer has also convinced us we got to take one more ad break. We're going a little long on this one, but we promise it's worth your time.
Speaker 4: Folks.
Speaker 3: We're about to introduce you to some of the big dogs.
Speaker 4: We're back.
Speaker 3: The list goes on and on. Marburg and Ebola are of particular interest when it comes to the next potential pandemics. These are probably the names you have heard most recently. Marburg and Ebola are kissing cousins. They're both very nasty customers get this. Marburg, which is named after where it was discovered. Officially, it can kill nine out of ten of the people it infects. Ebola is not much easier to deal with. Marboard technically has an estimated eighty eight percent mortality rate, which means this thing could well be a death sentence. It spreads through all sorts of animals. It's zoonotic as well Happy zuenosis day. It spreads rapidly, but the symptoms don't show up for a while. It's if you go to the vaccine Alliance well you'll see as symptoms include high fever, chills, muscle ache, vomiting. You get sick after when the incubation period ends, things go south quickly. You will have a few days of increasingly terrifying sickness, and then in some cases, you will begin bleeding from every orifice of your body, including needle marks. So like if you're in a hospital and they've been sticking you with metain and or some kind of treatment and you hit the bleed phase, you're going to bleed out of that puncture wound as well.
Speaker 8: No, thank you, craky nightmare fuel, right, I mean, it's we know that outbreaks still occur, Like to the earlier point about I keep going back to this, why do we not hear more about these things?
Speaker 3: Right? Because they don't directly affect the West, Yet in two.
Speaker 2: Hours too busy thinking about monkey Pock's beIN obviously right.
Speaker 3: Right right, they're weaponizing smallpox right out out west right in Angola in two thousand and four, there was an outbreak that affected two hundred and fifty people ninety percent fatality rate. It takes, yeah, it takes anywhere from two to twenty six days. So here us well, folks anywhere from forty eight hours to almost a month to incubate, which means the entire time you could be asymptomatic, you could be a world traveler spreading marb around, feeling dapper as a daisy, which is the phrase we made up. I hope it works.
Speaker 4: I think it works quite well. I feel that way on a good day.
Speaker 3: You're dapper is a daisy makes me adapt for you. And the thing is, when it kicks in, things go south so so very quickly. People will die eight to nine days later, and it's usually because or often because of an extreme loss of blood. It also hides out. It just keeps getting worse. Marburg and abulla can persist in the bodies of infected patients who survive, Like you beat the odds, right, you survive Marbur. God is great and evolution is hiding the Marburg virus in your eyes, your testes, your placenta, your amniotic fluid, your breast milk, if you're nursing, you could believe you survive the pandemic. And then a month later, this incubation, this new incubation period ends and another wave of outbreaks occur.
Speaker 2: That's just well, does that mean you're Does that mean you're infectious to others? When you're carrying it around after you think you're you've finished the whole.
Speaker 3: Thing, hold in one just so Jesus, you're released from the hospital, you go to a crowded church to pray.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a tangent, but it's related, and we've talked about it on Strange News a little bit. Another one, it's not on our list today, but one that I think, I mean, we're at least keeping our eyes on, is the chronic wasting disease. It's not the same as one of these infectious things. It currently does not infect humans. There's never been a chronic wasting disease human case yet, but researchers are paying attention to it because it's another one of these things that if it's in your body and you're infected with the prions as a deer servant right now, you may not show any kind of signs for years, months or years, but you're still just by going around as a deer, in peeing and pooping and having sex with other deer, you are infecting everybody else in your herd and in the surrounding area, and not just your species, other species too. And we know that like something like that is so so terrifying for its pandemic potential, because like you'd have to develop very specific ways to find out if it's in, if it's in people like this one, right, Ben, because you'd have to test the blood and get tested all the time to make sure there's nothing currently cooking in your body that has been in there and you're not a serious threat a danger to everybody around you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, your epidemic of deer finn could like destroy a species, honestly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like this with Marbourg, right, I mean it sounds similar.
Speaker 3: So we have to consider that this is Most of the outbreaks are occurring in places that historically have problems with public health, the DRC, the Democratic Republic of the Congo Angola, as we mentioned South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, and Equatorial Guinea. There have also been outbreaks in the European theater and in the United States. The fact that it can hide out should keep you up at night. Hope nobody was planning to sleep after this. There is an ebola outbreak happening right now as we record more than thirteen hundred confirmed cases three hundred and seventy five confirmed deaths in the DRC. The infection has already spread to the adjacent Uganda. This evaded detection to your point, Matt, not just because clinicians or public health health experts failed to recognize the hemorrhagic fever was viral in nature, but also because a lot of the tools that these experts have are designed for different outbreaks. It's mirror life all over again, right, and so we're getting false positives, we're getting false negatives. We don't know what is true. Well.
Speaker 2: And there's also that issue that we've discussed before on the show where there are outsiders coming into your area and they put you know, if you're someone one of your family members is infected, they take your family member away, they do all this weird craft to them, put them in this place that you don't understand. You don't get to see them, and then they're dead. You don't know exactly what happened to them. You just hear from those same people that took your family member way that they died, right. You could just imagine what the distrust that that can foster, right exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then that compounds and disascerbates the problem of the health the health experts on the right, because now the population is not going to trust you. It's kind of like how vaccination is never going to recover from that CIA op to find Osama bin Lutt, you know what I mean, it's just the Pakistan's not going to trust vaccines for a while.
Speaker 2: Dude. I think humanity has a problem with vaccines now. And I know we went through the craziness when it you know, comes to I don't want to shout any names, but linking something like autism as well as other things directly to vaccinations didn't do a lot to help anybody when it comes to being scientifically literate and or you know, having a better understanding of what an actual vaccination is and what's in a vaccination. We also know there's problems with vaccines, right we also, I mean there's so it becomes so complicated because it gives vaccines such a bad rap.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, by their very nature, I mean, you want to roll them out as quickly as possible. And I think especially with the pandemic, with the COVID stuff, they you know, understandably passed some things that allowed them to do that much quicker, some little exactly, but then all of a sudden, down the stream you start to see all these little issues perhaps that were not you know, understood upfront, and that is the nature I think of that distrust. It's under the best of circumstances, there's.
Speaker 4: A lot of that.
Speaker 3: You know, the ticking time bomb scenario is real in that case. I love that you're pointing that out in the Ale because it turned it turned the world almost Soviet level in its approach to a large systemic problem. Right. The Soviet Union was famous for a long long time for having a surplus of bodies and no compunction about throwing bodies at a problem. So you could argue, and a lot of vaccine skeptics will argue that in some cases world governments and the multinational pharma firms, we're doing the same thing. We don't know what their calculus was. We don't know what meetings they had about acceptable rates of side effects or indeed fatalities or lifelong chronic conditions. We do know that ebola comes in different forms, right, just like hauntavirus, Just like so many other of the culprits or usual suspects on our list here. Some forms of ebola do have approved vaccines. Marburg, when we've been harping on, has no vaccines that we know of. Both viruses are popping up in the same region quite recently, and we're wondering if that could be a double whammy pandemic of good news. Unlike COVID nineteen, they are not highly contagious respiratory viruses. They're very dangerous if you get them, but this is not like something you could catch because you walk by an infected person who happens to be breathing the same air as you. Right, So that's kind of good news.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Yeah, I agreed.
Speaker 3: I mean we can hit one more good news thing too as we're wrapping up.
Speaker 2: Oh, I forgot one before we hit the bigger one man. Yeah, I just learned about something called canine coronavirus or CCoV Good news is, guys, probably not gonna affect us. But it is crazy to think about dog coronavirus, canine coronavirus being a thing that's kind of it's under the radar because it's not infecting humans quite yet.
Speaker 5: Well, so, how does the zoonotic nature of it all affect something like that forming it would Yeah.
Speaker 3: To be zeronautic, it would have to mutate so such that it could go from the canid to the human.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it jumped to the canid in the first place.
Speaker 2: Ye oh wait, I'm wrong, guys, I'm so sorry. According to the University of Florida, there have been a few documented canine coronavirus infections and humans. It's very rare, okay, but it links to pneumonia hospitalizations, which is ultimately, right, one of the scariest things with any of these, especially the viruses that affect your respiration, it's developing pneumonia because that's when you end up on a ventilator in a hospital.
Speaker 5: And of course that's why you often see that the people that are most affected as older folks.
Speaker 4: Who have weakened immune systems already and coborbidities exactly. Right, Yeah, then you have good news.
Speaker 3: We do have good news. We we've been telling folks, as you know, as a gang, we've been we've been aiming for like nihlistic optimism and good news. Piece of yeah, yeah, a little a little bit of candy after the medicine. Right. So, in our weekly Strange News segment a while back, we were covering outbreak of something called haunt, a virus, specifically the Andy strain of it. There was a very unlucky cruise ship called Envy haundius. On that ship, three passengers died of haunt of virus. At least four other people were infected. Hauntavirus is spread by rudents. It causes hemorrhagic fever, It causes some nasty pulmonary syndromes. The people caught the one strain of haunt of virus that we know can infect humans, or the one that can spread from person to person. So more than one haunt of virus is zoonotic, but the Hodi strain and De strain, if you prefer, spreads from person to person. Everybody was worried, right, We were worried in full transparency when we're talking about this on strange news, that it could become the next pandemic. Luckily, we went past the headlines. We went to the sources. We went to the public health experts, and we found folks like Bill Henige or Bill hanegi Ha n a ge from Harvard THH. Chan In School of Public Health, and he said it's probably not. Hauntavirus is probably not pandemic level threat. It doesn't spread easily in humans, and people begin exhibiting visible symptoms pretty quickly. So in the handias could have been much worse. If people on the ship were infected with Marbourg could have been game over. But because it was hauntavirus and not that easily transmissible, a significant amount of people spent an extended amount of time in extremely close quarters and very few folks actually got infected. So the Again, this leads the boffins to say, it is not the case fatality rate that matters for pandemic potential. It's the ability to transmit between humans. Transmission happens enough, efficiently enough before people become seriously ill, just like in that game Pandemic. They're very very few constraints on virulence. So this is overall that this is good news. Hauntavirus is not the threat that maybe popular news portrayed it as not too long ago. But we still have a lot to worry about, you know what I mean A lot. I want to wash my hands so bad.
Speaker 2: I can't stop thinking about chronic wasting disease, you guys. They folks are harping so much about how much research is being done on this, the zombie dear disease, and just how worried folks are. Imagine if a small population of humans got infected by a disease like that, where they can carry it around for years and be infectious and infect everybody they're interacting with, and nobody notices for years until they start, you know, not worrying about anything. They're not thinking about anything. They're just walking around, drinking water and urinating everywhere, and you know, don't have thoughts anymore. They are literally zombies. But imagine it took a year or two years for them to even show those signs, but they've already infected everyone. Like what if we just realized, oh, there's a huge population in Oregon and everybody there is infected with human wasting disease and there's nothing we can do about it. They've got about six months to a year before they start showing symptoms. At least at that point, you could potentially develop some kind of treatment for it, if you had a runway, right, and enough human beings to you know, get samples from to test.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't stop thinking about.
Speaker 3: It, you guys, I'm with you there, man. I also can't stop thinking about something we probably won't have time to get to today. Maybe it's a future episode, but what if the worst happens? I'd love to hear the gamed oubt scenarios. Maybe it's a thought experiment for us. In the future, the next pandemic will emerge, humanity will depend upon a few key factors that humans aren't super great at learning lessons from the past, like COVID international cooperation. That's another swing in amiss historically, and as much as we despise government overreach, it's inarguable that practices like contact tracing saved lives during the pandemic response time will be crucial. Another thing humanity is not super great at. The US in particular, as we know, is not going to be anywhere near as prepared as it could have been due to the massive budget cuts at places like the Center for Disease Control the CDC here in Atlanta. Here you have it, folks, So far as we know, another little piece of good news at present July sixth, twenty twenty six, none of these diseases we have mentioned have birthed a new pandemic just yet. So hug your loved ones, wash your hands. We wish you the best. Let us know what's going on in your neck of the global woods. We'd love to hear from you. Thanks for tuning in. You can find us on the lines, You can call us on a phone, and you can always send us an email.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can do all those things.
Speaker 5: And if you want to find us on the lines, do so by reaching out to the handle Conspiracy Stuff or Conspiracy Stuff Show, depending on what social media platform you use.
Speaker 2: Do you have a way to make phone calls? Call one eight three three std WYTK. That's us. It's a voicemail system. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on one of our listener mail episodes that appear in the audio feed, which is separate from this here Netflix feed. If you happen to be watching us right now, if you want to send us an email, you can do that.
Speaker 4: We are the entities the read each.
Speaker 3: Piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware, yet I'm afraid sometimes the void writes back. This is one of the best ways to get sources that we use in our episodes or our weekly segment. This is also the best way to give us a random fact or get one in return. I'm going to blow up the spot here for everybody tuning in on Netflix. This is one of the best books ever written. The at list of remote islands, So when your next pandemic hits, find an island in this book, do your best to get there before the flight's closed down. Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot.
Speaker 2: Com Stuff they Don't want you to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.