Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Now, Hey, it's Michael Costa.
Speaker 3: The Daily Show's taking a break this week, but we put together some special highlight episodes just for you. We'll be back with brand new episodes of The Daily Show next week. In the meantime, enjoy this episode.
Speaker 4: Welcome Max Daily Show. Over the weekend, New York City Mayor Eric Adams was in Rome for a meeting with Pope Francis.
Speaker 5: And in a way, this meeting was always.
Speaker 4: Destined to be because if you know Eric Adams' story, you know that, like the Pope, he operates on a higher philosophical play.
Speaker 5: America's mayors are doers. They fix roads, they get drugs off the streets, they bust ghosts. But in twenty twenty one, New York City elected a mayor who wasn't just a doer. He was an enlightened thinker.
Speaker 1: No matter how much doff this told come, light was shined through.
Speaker 6: That's my message of life.
Speaker 5: Who saw his city is a playground of transcendental possibilities.
Speaker 1: This is a place where every day you wake up you could experience everything from a plane crashing into our trade center to a person who's celebrating.
Speaker 6: A new business.
Speaker 1: And that's why this is great to sit you on the globe.
Speaker 5: Yes, like a great metaphysicist. New York's mayor inspires citizens to ask deep existential questions like who the hell did I just vote for? This is the daily showography of Eric Adams, philosopher King of New York.
Speaker 7: Today.
Speaker 5: We know that Eric Adams is a philosophical genius because he tells us he is.
Speaker 1: So, I'm Gandhee like I think like Gandhi, like Gandhi, I want to be like Gandhi.
Speaker 5: But it wasn't always a parent that Adams would grow up to be one of the great thinkers of our time. Born in nineteen sixty to a butcher and a house cleaner, he was a typical New York team when he had a run in with the law that would changed the course of his life.
Speaker 1: I was arrested in South Jamaica, Queens when I was coming from school after going into an apartment of a go go dancer who loaded us money.
Speaker 6: Out of nowhere. They say, you feel like a beat down.
Speaker 1: So I had a demon in me and the only way to get it out.
Speaker 2: Was to go in to go into a police department, going to.
Speaker 1: The police apartment.
Speaker 5: You know what they say, if they can beat you, join them, and join he did. It was during this sojourn in the urban wilderness that the prophet now says he was granted a vision of his future.
Speaker 1: Thirty something years ago. God spoke to my heart and said, you are going to be the mayor January first, twenty twenty two. And I would tell everybody I'm going to be mad January first, twenty twenty two. People used to think I was on medication.
Speaker 5: Yes, used to so. After twenty two years as a cop, Adams traded his badge and gun for the suit and tie of the New York State Senate, where he used his law enforcement background to teach ordinary citizens how to police their own families.
Speaker 1: It's imparative that you should know what's inside your household. You don't know what your child may be hiding. Could be just a baby doll, but also it could be a place where you could secrete or hide drugs.
Speaker 5: It's the classic philosophical debate if any object solely itself or do all things contain dualities that can be used to hide controversies? And after apparently solving every other problem in the city, Adams turned his focus to something few intellects had dared to tackle.
Speaker 6: Dead ass.
Speaker 8: So he is starting a campaign to encourage kids not to wear their pants so Loo.
Speaker 6: It's dubbed the sag.
Speaker 1: When you raise your parents, you raise your character. When you raise your pasts or raise your grade, when you raise your parents, you raise your self esteem.
Speaker 5: Soon Adam's profile was lifted higher than the freshly raised race bands of New York City teenagers. He ascended to Brooklyn Borough President, where he toiled day and night, even sleeping on a bed in his office, a commitment to both his job and avoiding New York rents. But for Adams, politics would always come second to his true passion, developing a holistic philosophy of mind, body and spirit.
Speaker 1: I eat a plant based centric life. Some people want to call me vegan. Vegans eat areoles.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm going to show you what I eat. More of the cow powder, I see, lack of powder, the cocoa powder, karate powder, and I love this stuff. Here loringa powder and.
Speaker 5: After beginning each day with a slurry of industrial grade pulverized health food, Adams ends every week with the ritual worthy of a Boys to Men video.
Speaker 9: Every week, Adams draws himself a bubble bath and scatters rose petals across the water's surface.
Speaker 1: I don't about what I'll do without my incense, my candles, my bubble baths, and my roads.
Speaker 5: Before long, Adams was enlightened enough to ascend to an even level mayor after a small hitch requiring him to prove that he didn't actually live in New Jersey by giving a tour of his very real Brooklyn apartment.
Speaker 9: This is a small bathroom.
Speaker 5: Adams won the election convincingly, and he celebrated poetically.
Speaker 1: How do you go from being arrested to selections it rejected, and now you elected to be the mayor of the City of New York. All I know is all my haters become my waights when I sit down.
Speaker 6: At the table little success.
Speaker 1: I'm not who I am because I'm the best. I'm who I am because I'm blessed.
Speaker 5: Not since Jiggy had New York seen a philosopher with such slow and not since fifty cent had New York seen a leader who spent so much time in the club.
Speaker 1: This is a city of swagger. We need a mayor of swagger. When a mayor has swagger at the city has swagger. That's saying Veric goes out to restaurant breaking news.
Speaker 6: Duh, yes I do.
Speaker 1: I'm a night life man and I like to test the product.
Speaker 5: As Mayor, Adam's galaxy brain was constantly coming up with new ways to improve life in the city, like slashing budgets for libraries and schools and migrants to pay for more cops on the street and more cops in the subway, and robot cops and flying robot cops, robot dog cops, so many cops. And if people complained, he handled it philosophically.
Speaker 1: We're New york Is, you know, we get angry, we get pissed off, and we let you know.
Speaker 6: How you feel.
Speaker 1: I'll wake up in the morning sometime and look at myself and I get myself to feed.
Speaker 5: It seemed like there was no problem. Adams couldn't outthink.
Speaker 10: Until breaking news here in New York City, the FBI seizing electronic devices belonging to Mayor Eric Adams as part of a corruption investigation.
Speaker 8: The FBI is investigating whether the mayor received illegal donations from the Turkish government, with observers noting unusual connections, including Adam's recent cameo in a Turkish movie.
Speaker 1: But I don't to stand turkeys.
Speaker 5: Well, this Turkish taffies will be end of Adam's reign, or will we once again draw on his philosophical learning to remind people that in New York City, every day is a chance to soar to even greater heights.
Speaker 1: I am the pilot, folks, and you are all passages. Stop praying for me to crash the plane, because there's no pirates chues.
Speaker 6: On this plane.
Speaker 1: We're all going down together, down together.
Speaker 5: And that kind of wisdom for the ages is why Eric Adams truly is the philosopher king of New York.
Speaker 2: All back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 9: You know, the news is so serious these days. What we could really use is a palate cleanser, like a fun pop culture story. And luckily there's some big news this weekend.
Speaker 6: Boy has a.
Speaker 7: Rapp er been buzzing over the weekend? The Internet on fire. Are your Team Drake or Team Kendrick Lamar? The feud is red hot, both stars dropping several dish tracks over the weekend, both stars gaining tens of millions.
Speaker 6: Of streams in the process.
Speaker 7: The beef has been ongoing for several years, quite frankly, but it's reached a fever pitch right now.
Speaker 2: Ooh, reck battle. It's a great way to showcase an MC's skills.
Speaker 9: I gotta say, as a as a Michigan boy, I loved watching eminem Slice and DICE's competitors.
Speaker 2: It's always always a great time.
Speaker 9: In fact, I bet Drake is gonna tease Kendrick about selling more albums and Kendrick is going to make some playful jabs about Drake being a Toronto Raptors fan, so let the ribbing begin.
Speaker 6: In his diss tracks, Drake claims Kendrick abuses and cheats on this fiance, while Kendrick accuses Drake of being a pedophile.
Speaker 2: Oh that got dark. Uh.
Speaker 9: It went from zero to epstein in about one weekend.
Speaker 2: This beef is.
Speaker 9: Really out of control and it doesn't look like it's calming down anytime soon. Kendrick is probably in the studio right now trying to figure out something that rhymes with killed John Benet ramsay. So for more on this, we go live out to the streets with our own Josh Johnson.
Speaker 2: Done Done. Who would you say is winning this beef?
Speaker 10: Nope, pass, no, thank you. I don't want to get dragged into this at all. All these dudes do is research and destroy. Apparently this is short for dissertation. Okay, And I don't need anybody looking me up and rapping about how I took my cousin to Senor prom or that I pissed my bed until Senor.
Speaker 6: Prom all right.
Speaker 10: I just want to do my job and rest my head in whatever safe house they got Jay.
Speaker 6: Cole in.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, I see your point.
Speaker 9: This has got to be one of the most brutal wrap beefs in history.
Speaker 10: Well hold on, let's not get crazy. I mean, remember how rap beefs used to be. I mean, remember Biggie and Tupac.
Speaker 6: There's a reason that the last time you saw Pac was in hologram form.
Speaker 10: All right, what's happening now is nothing compared to back then, because hip hop has mature.
Speaker 6: In the nineties, it was a future girl. How about that now?
Speaker 10: It's I don't think you're emotionally available as a father and husband due to your general lack of vulnerability, which leaves me with no choice but the fucking girl, how about that?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 9: All right, Okay, So you're saying, as ugly as this is getting, at least it's not spilling into violence.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 10: In fact, I wish all global conflicts were like hip hop beefs the Middle East, Russia, Ukraine instead of missiles. Wouldn't you want to see Zelensky release a track saying Putin is on ozempic or that he learned Brazilian jiu jitsu because he got Brazilian butt lift, or that pun's not black enough to say nigga, you know what I mean, or whatever the Russian version of that is.
Speaker 2: You really think you could replace wars with beefs.
Speaker 6: Absolutely forget abroad even at home.
Speaker 10: Wouldn't the national anthem be hotter if it was a dish track against England, like no taxation with that responentation, that's already half a bar right there.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 10: You just need something like you eat beans on toasts like some broke ass hose. Instead of shooting at Britain, the founding fathers should have been spitting out, oh like a Hamilton.
Speaker 6: Not like that?
Speaker 9: Okay, well, Josh, if everything being a rap battle, de escalate situations, why are you so afraid to just pick a side between Drake and Kendrick. I mean because you tell me all the time how you love Drake's music and he makes you feel safe to torque in the shower, and how you like to pop ass to his beads, so it makes you feel like.
Speaker 6: A bad bitch.
Speaker 10: I think you said no, no, no no no no no no no no.
Speaker 6: Well thanks a lot, Jordan, you gave him plenty.
Speaker 10: Kendrick just dropped a song and the cover art is me slow dancing at singer.
Speaker 6: Oh my God, I gotta call my cousin.
Speaker 2: Shot shots and everyone.
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever.
Speaker 2: You get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 7: This has been a Comedy Central podcast