Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of IHEARTRADI.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Nol.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben.
Speaker 4: We are joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Folks, if you are hearing this the evening this program publishes, we cannot wait to welcome you to Thursday, December twenty six, twenty twenty four. It's the day after Christmas Day. For any celebrants in the crowd, and for anybody who is a little bit of a Grench, we hope you had a moment where your heart grew three times larger. This is one of our favorite things we do, especially here toward the end of the human calendar year. We share messages from the most important part of the show. You, our fellow conspiracy realists. We're gonna hear from some shepherds in Europe. We are going to hear some responses to the DHL incidents earlier, and we're also gonna we're gonna hear some responses to this big Chicken episode that we're working on before we do any of that. Guys, is this the last listener mail program that we're going to record or the last one that publishes in twenty twenty four? Do we have another one?
Speaker 3: Think?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: I think this is the one?
Speaker 4: This is it?
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 4: Right? Right on? Well, do we have any message that we'd like to get give just overall to our fellow supporters of the show and conspiracy realist.
Speaker 3: Any New Year's resolutions? I don't really do that anymore.
Speaker 6: Nah, you guys are great, Ben says, you guys are the best part of the show. Always so quick with an amazing insider perspective on something that we've talked about, as we will hear today, and just in general, it's very good natured and kind people. So thank you for your continued supports and contribution to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your service.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'll just say, if you look around, stuff out here seems pretty messed up. Stuff out here seems troubling a lot of the time, but I think you might find that a lot of it is stuff that isn't going to affect you necessarily that much. And I know for me personally, it causes a lot of internal anxiety thinking about the world and all of its operations and machinations and stuff that seems aimed against me and people like me and you and everyone around us. I would just say, in this time, do your best to focus on the awesome stuff that's happening right around you, because it's super cool, and often it seems kind of small and not big and scary like all that other stuff. But the little things, the little awesome things, are worth your time and attention.
Speaker 4: Well said, and I think that I hope that's a message we can all agree with. To further dovetail on that, folks, it's the end of the year, often a time of introspection and retrospection. Please please do remember the calendar is practiced now. The Gregorian calendar is a human creation. You don't need a specific time of the year to be helpful and affectionate to yourself. You also don't need it, perhaps more importantly, you don't need a specific day to be helpful and considerate of other people. Because we can tell you the old masters, the old quotes were right everybody is fighting a battle of their own, so let us be kind. And with that, we're going to pause for a word from our sponsors. We cannot wait to share with you a letter that called all of our interests. Noel especially gave us some opinions right on big chickens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a Here a word from our sponsor. I will get right to it.
Speaker 6: All right, let's jump right into our first listener mail of the day from Chickennado. It's a great name. We've heard from Chickenado before. Pertaining to the big Chicken conspiracy, Ben mentioned there is definitely an episode of foot so that you should be a claw. Now that's a foot. They call them chicken feed, don't they. Would you guys ever eat a chicken foot? Yeah, I'm sure you have been, Yeah, pretty often. No one don't care to get good watch out for you bones.
Speaker 4: But it's right, it's good. It depends on how it's prepared. There's a great uh. There are a couple of great dim sum places here if you guys want to hang out. They do chicken feet right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I believe it.
Speaker 6: I just you know, as as I've made very clear on the show, I do have somewhat of a bird phobia, and part of that pertains to their creepy claws and weird little webbed feet. So more chicken feet for everyone else, but chicken atou is the aforementioned kind of inside industry perspective in the world of chicken farming. And I'm just gonna jump right in. Had some things to add and some things to correct, and some kind of other thoughts pertaining to our discussion of chicken farming. Hi, it's me Chickenato again. I am just finally listening into your listener mail from December second. First off, you mentioned maybe doing an episode on Big Chicken. Yes for supported by Chickenado, and feel free to reach out for info or any help fact checking. Absolutely Now for some correction slash information on why the commercial chicken industry is the way that it is. They use a broiler, which refers to a fast growing meat chicken colloquially known as a Cornish cross. The Cornish cross originates from cross breeding a Cornish game and a Rhode Island white accent on the white. If you look at Cornish game birds, you'll notice they are very chunky, fat birds and are called double breaston.
Speaker 3: Like I see.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, Rhode Island whites grow very quickly. The hybrid combine the double breasted gene with the quick growth rate for a big, fast growing bird. Now the historic Cornish cross is the ones that we have nowadays are double to triple the size of their original hybrids.
Speaker 3: That's too big. It does seem a little big.
Speaker 6: Now that that's out of the way, Chickenato goes on for some quick stats on the broiler industry. Cornish cross have to be harvested anywhere from seven to nine weeks old or they will start dying from heart attack, organ failure, fatty liver disease.
Speaker 3: Or heat stroke.
Speaker 6: Does sound good, large fast growth has a cost. Even when given the option to move around a lot, they prefer to camp by the feed and water, sit and eat. This can actually reduce the quality of the meat because they get scalded on the bottoms from laying in the ammonia from the poop.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So to mitigate this they encourage them to move from one feeder to the other at the very least. The reason that they use artificial lighting is that chickens do not eat while they are sleeping. If they are not eating, they are not growing, so they use controlled day night cycles and the best food to meet conversions.
Speaker 2: Ah, that is the worst raise what conversion to meetsions?
Speaker 6: It's definitely a stat for sure. Many operations have moved away from antibiotics due to further restrictions and antibiotic use and livestock because of antibiotic resistant bacteria concerns.
Speaker 4: A little bit of a feedback loop on that one, by the way, Yeah, oh, how so Well, The argument goes that in industrialized livestock or poultry operations, fixing a short term problem, depending upon how you do it, may create larger long term problems that will again have to be treated. So it's a feedback loop of trying to fix a thing immediately.
Speaker 3: I could see that for sure.
Speaker 6: And you know, we do know that antibiotic resistant bacterias are absolutely a concern, and zoonotic you know, jumping of various diseases and such can also be a problem or a product a byproduct of this kind of you knowevialization, let's call it.
Speaker 2: Right, Think about the genius guys of using oregano to improve immune function. Your your broiler chickens come pre seasoned. Now internally, that's true. Sometimes you get the lemon pepper variety. I don't know if that helps as well.
Speaker 6: Moving on though, with Chickenato's letter left off on the antibiotic resistant bacteria concerns. Instead, some of them use herbal remedies to your point, Matt, such as oregano to improve immune function, which has been researched and tested through various feed trials. That's why when you go to the grocery store, most of your chicken meat will say antibiotic and growth hormone free. As for encouraging farmers to use a slower growing broiler, this is the KFC part, I believe in question they had They had frankin chickens, I believe was the term that was thrown around, and their pledged to cease to use these monsters. Right and again, no no shade on the chicken the monster in terms of they're really really big. As for encouraging farmers to use a slower growing broiler, it's not feasible. The chicken farmers often are already massively in depth because they are required by whichever of the big three meat processing companies they are contracted to to use very special proprietary feeders, waters, and even the fee that is used for the birds and also the birds themselves. The farmers honestly don't really own anything. The bank does, the barns, the equipment. It's all out on huge loans, but they're hoping to get a little bit more than break even on this year's crop of birds. They don't get to set the prices. It's pretty bleak when you actually look at it. And this I think a lot of this stuff applies to other types of farming as well, in terms of like the bank basically owning the whole operation. You're beholding to the bank, But if you're working with folks like moncelle h, you're beholden to these proprietary seeds and all of that stuff. And then there's a intellectual property concerns and potential lawsuits and all of that kind of thing. So I think this is a really interesting email that points to larger issues in food production in this country and abroad. I'm sure family operations sometimes still choose to use a cornish cross and a chicken tractor, which is a chicken coop that can be moved daily or weekly to put them on fresh grayze. All of the problems except for the scalding are still there for the breed. Health wise, these are not a breed of bird that was ever intended to live a full, normal chicken life. That's a really key point there. They basically hatch with an expiration date. Other broiler breeds you can harvest around twelve weeks or so for optimal feeds to meet ratios. But they're not as big of a table bird as a Cornish cross, which is why the Cornish cross is still appealing to a lot of people. And just to really quickly pick that apart, like meet off of a Cornish cross, it's about wow factor. It's about look at that big fat bird. It might as well be a turkey, it's so huge. Look at those breast disease on that bird, you know. I mean, it's it's like when you.
Speaker 4: Go to a crosstumble breasted a million percent.
Speaker 2: The concept of I can feed my whole family with one as.
Speaker 6: Yes, no, thank you. I may be getting caught up in the wow factor of it all, but you're right. It's absolutely a subsistence functional thing where it's like why.
Speaker 3: Why would I get you know, I mean, if you go to.
Speaker 6: Like a fancy French restaurant, for example, and where I don't know if you've seen they do these table services where they cut like a cornish game hit. These are tiny birds. The meat is probably delectable, and it's probably a delicious, you know, treat, and it was probably raised and given a name and taken on walks and all of this stuff like you might see in Portlandia sketch. But it's small and that is not something that you cannot put that kind of effort and energy into raising a single bird if it's not yielding that level of meat. To both of y'all's points, this is a chicken that when you go to cost code to buy buy this.
Speaker 3: Massive bird, it only costs you like five six bucks.
Speaker 6: It's crazy, you know. Any just I'm still kind of blown away by a lot of this stuff. And to wrap up, none of this is actually to defend the industry or to create an animal who hatches out with an expiration date. It's just to explain some of the inner workings of why things are functioning in the broiler chicken industry as they do. Personally, I don't like them. I don't like that we have an animal that has no possibility of a normal life. However, I do have some Cornish games. They are chunky, fat, adorable and very friendly. Actually they grow slower and they would eat more feed per pound of meat, but at least it's a more humane life for them, whether they end up on the table or live their lives just producing eggs and looking cute. I've included some photos of my two very cute bantam Cornish game hens, as well as a chart of the Cornish cross throughout the years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and of course they can.
Speaker 6: That's super chicken four two hundred and two grams.
Speaker 3: This is like where we are at the modern Cornish cross.
Speaker 6: And then we have some lovely We asked you to send us pet pictures and chickens. I think absolutely apply. These are adorable. I wish we've gotten names. But there's a little cute brown one sitting on some eggs, a little white fluffy one, and one with some real cute brown feathers and a cute little little beak.
Speaker 3: I'm really kind of warming up to chickens.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 6: Sorry about my screed, my screed earlier about their creepy feet, but man, I thank you.
Speaker 3: I really just chickennato.
Speaker 6: I think this is really, really informative and super helpful to get this kind of inside perspective on how this industry functions and how difficult it is to change it.
Speaker 2: Guys, should we go back to the chicken dad. We visited that one time and yeah, you can sit among that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Now, that's not go crazy. I'll hang on the periphery again.
Speaker 4: Okay, chickenato, thank you so much, or chickenado, however it'll be pronounced in the end. Thank you again for the awesome pet pictures. When asking for photographs of your pets or your non human animal friends, we always mean it sincerely, and we want to invite you to share more pictures of your chickens and you, specifically you conspiracy realists, to share photos of your favorite non human animal friends.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, let's take a quick break here, a word from our sponsor, and then come back with more messages from you.
Speaker 2: And we've returned. Guys. We got some updates and comments to two stories that we covered recently. Ben I think these were both your stories, so get ready. We got more information, insider information from people who know their stuff. The first one comes to us from Dirty D who listened to us talking about dB Cooper and potential identification there, specifically about the parachute modifications that we were talking about that were discovered that aided in this potential identification of who dB Cooper is really good stuff. Let's jump to Dirty D.
Speaker 7: Hey you guys, this is Dirty D the modifications to the parachute for the dB Cooper. The device is called the APRR, an Automatic Parachute ripcord Release, and it gets installed inside of the backpack area.
Speaker 8: And this device, it has an anrooid in it and it's set to actuate at a particular altitude. So if he were to have jumped and became unconscious for whatever reason, the parachute was still open because this anrooid works in conjunction with a squib or a CAD, a cartridge actuating device which is like a small explosive, and it blows the ripcord release and it basically sends the skirt hemn of the parachute like it just blasts it forced open. Yeah, So if you have any questions about, you know, the operation or anything about it, give me a call again.
Speaker 5: Love what you guys do.
Speaker 2: Thank you WHOA Okay, Okay, this is first of all awesome tech. Thank you Dirty D. For letting us know about that. This is a thing that we have all seen in popular media, specifically, you guys, I just saw this yesterday when I finished watching a new movie on Netflix called carry On.
Speaker 4: That last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah A C A R R Y.
Speaker 2: Dash O N it's It's. It features Taron Egerton and Jason Bateman and Sophia Carson.
Speaker 4: And purpose Jason Bateman plays not the kind of role you might expect historically, but at.
Speaker 2: The same time, he's so Jason Bateman. It is a glorious thing that that man can do and just be himself, and he can either be the most cutting, dry straight man in a show, like somebody who just reacts to other people's insanity as in Arrest of the Development, or in this I swear it just feels like Jason Bateman, but he seems like the most menacing bad guy I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: He was kind of a bastard in Ozark, but he also played it with this kind of like, ah shucks, I wouldn't really do anything wrong kind of you know.
Speaker 2: Carry On reminded you of this, Oh yeah, it's just so good and awesome work, Jason. So it reminded me of this point I'm not going to do spoilers, but it features a moment, oh gosh, it kind of gives spoilers for it. It features a moment in there where one of these things is specifically shown to you, like as a look at this. This is an automatic parachute deployment system on this thing, which I don't.
Speaker 4: Think you should beat yourself up. Man. The title carry On is kind of a spoiler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it does feature the TS mother in a and shout out to get out there you go. But okay, but it all goes back to this concept of what if I need my parachute to deploy automatically? And it makes me wonder why aren't all parachutes like that? Why this should be a necessity rather than an add on in my mind.
Speaker 4: So when you get the RFP, as Uncle Sam the funny proposal, you want to save the taxpayer money. And if that means that a few shoots might not quite shoot what they should, that you know, greater good. I'm needing a monster but that is historically true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then it became well, we need a secondary parachute for every paratrooper now, so we got to make sure there's there's two.
Speaker 4: I can't wait for subscription shoots. Bro, I'm so bullish on this one, you know, just pay your Why.
Speaker 2: Not why don't all of us have parachutes at all times, just in case take a little topple. You're a little too high on parachute.
Speaker 4: The wind's looking nice, and you want to save money on the uber, you know, just climb to a high enough elevation, pop it and let the wind decide.
Speaker 2: Boom, paraglide vacation in a snap. Seems exciting to me. But just just to go back to dirty D, thank you so much for sending us that little bit of information. I love just knowing that it's an aneroid that has a little tiny explosion that causes the parachute to just play.
Speaker 4: Which is yeah, thank you, dirty D. And as you're aware, dirty D, there are also other possible modifications or little zip zappies you could do with a typical shoot. This is important information And like you, Matt, I love specific nomenclature. And we've got a lot of aviation enthusiast and experts in the audience tonight, longtime listeners who doubtlessly have been thinking about some of the same thoughts you brought to us Dirty D, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, see, if you can use this in conversation this week, Automatic Parachute rip Chord Release. It's just fun to say, and if you can slip it into a convo, you'll be the coolest person around the table, also known as ap r R. Thanks so much, Dirty D. Now we're jumping to another story that we talked about recently. This one is about the dhlh that occurred. Remember that plane went right into the ground as it was landing. Everything looked fine and then just nosedived right at the last second. Very confusing. We speculated a lot about why that would have happened, how that could have happened, what are the bigger implications of that happening. And we're going to jump to somebody who knows their stuff, Phantom Flyer. So here is Phantom Flyer's message.
Speaker 5: Hey guys, come, it's a Phantom Flyer. I'm just listening to your episode about the DHL crash. I have to be in the aviation industry. So what we're kind of looking at is something called controlled flight into terrain. From all the stuff I've been watching and for everyone kind of in the aviation industry. I know a lot of us have been looking at it. It looks kind of like they were what's called under the Clyde slope and it may have been due to a loss of you know, different things, But just wanted to give you that kind of thing in control flights the terrain. You guys can look it up. It's quite interesting. When I worked at the FAA, I actually had a document that we worked on, so stuff like this, unfortunately isn't too common or isn't too uncommon. Just thought i'd give you the heads up. You know, I got to use this on the radio. So love your show. Thank you, guys, have a good one.
Speaker 2: Boom Okay, So some new vocabulary that we have to go over there. The main one for me that we've talked about. I can't remember the exact story, but it was when there was a deep underground base that was discovered because a flight ran into the mountain right near where it was located. And that's how that's how the public found out about this big underground facility that the government had because there was a controlled flight into terrain where it's like everything seems to be fine, everything seems to be nominal, and then all of a sudden, the plane crashes, and then it's up to everybody else to figure out what the hell happened. And you know, in that case, it turned out that the pilots believed they were at the correct altitude at the correct positioning, but in fact they were only supposed to reach that or like get down to that altitude after a certain x number of miles from where they actually were. And that's a lot of that has to do with flying by instrumentation rather than being able to see like where you're going, which is a very common occurrence and still gives me pause every time I get into a plane. You guys, just knowing that that's normal. We're just looking at some outputs and that's how we know where we are and where we're going. I just got to trust technology, I suppose, and often it works. Ninety nine point nine percent of the time, all of it works. But sometimes you get something like this where there's an error for one reason or another and you have a crash. And the other term, guys, that I didn't know is under the glide slope. Have you guys heard of this and or encountered that before?
Speaker 4: Thankfully, I've never I've never flown a plane with that where that nomenclature would occur. But I am, I am, I would say passingly familiar, Matt, can you wait for it? Elevate our knowledge on flying under the glide slope?
Speaker 2: Well, guys, I don't know anything about it. And I went over to a form on infiniteflight dot com. Yeah, and was just trying to figure out what the heck it meant. I'm going to read something like this is a form. I'm sorry. This is where I'm at right now looking at this. This is from Akim's Underscore Aviation. The glide slope or glide path is in the most basic explanation, the angle of descent to the runway. They provide a picture basically showing you the way the lines move forward from your perspective as the pilot as you're coming in. And this is another piece of information that I didn't know. Says, you know those red and white lights beside the runway, Well, those are called PAPI lights or Precision Approach Lighting System.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: No, I like Poppy.
Speaker 2: They're Poppy lights and they help to guide you in the runway and it shows how it works. But I still don't fully understand being under or over the glide's slope as you approach as a you know, if you're piloting a flight, there are quite a few other things to look up, like if you look at glide path and this is coming from Wikipedia, sorry, guys. Wikipedia will tell you that glide path and glide slope are essentially the same thing. And this is a quotation that comes from ITU Radio regulations. It says, the glide slope or glide path is quote a system of vertical guidance embodied in the instrument landing system, which indicates the vertical deviation of the aircraft from its optimum path of descent. So that would mean the PA knows the optimum path of descent to get your plane exactly where it needs to go to land on that runway just perfect. Like, but if you are under or over that angle, it's going to let you know.
Speaker 4: You'll have an indicator that says, you know, your two blips too far up, two blips too far down, both of which are kind of bad. But I think two blips too far down is the worst one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and Phantom flyer, I wish you were here to just tell us, like actually explain this to us.
Speaker 5: So that I.
Speaker 2: Personally, I'm doing everything I can to try and understand it and then explain it. But it is important to note we've talked about this before. One of the major issues Boeing had with their new Max planes was it was a piece of instrumentation on the nose or like the side of the nose of the plane that let it know where it is from an altitude perspective, and then it could automatically adjust the back of the plane to write that altitude. And that was one of the major issues where it would it would send the nose down to try and get to optimal altitude, and sometimes the instrument that's telling you what altitude it is was wrong or missing because there was only one and it would pop off sometimes and that's what caused planes to nosedive the way we saw this DHL plane nose dive right at the end.
Speaker 4: And phantom correct is here, clarify email or call us, and I believe if we're if we're understanding instrumentation correctly, the modern aircraft is sort of triangulating via localized radio signals, which goes to your earlier point there about flying under bad weather when one cannot visually assess or what do we say in always sunny when you can't give it an ocular assessment out the act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, don't have ocular on. Sorry, we're gonna figure this out with the instruments.
Speaker 3: I thought you cleared them, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: But the glide it is good to know here. The glide slope glide path thing is a system that is set up on the runway itself that is communicating with the plane as you as you're saying ben, so as you're coming in, you should have all the information you need there. And it is really cool looking there. There are emission patterns that you can check out of how this actually functions, so that the glide slope is perfectly within these two signals that get sent out and it's like right there in the vent diagram the angle of approach just so super cool, super super cool. Uh, you guys, we have more information. We'll give a quick mention here to Phoenix, who also had some really interesting ideas and send us a voicemail about why and how you might disrupt DHL operations like that and why this crash probably isn't. Yeah, yeah, why this crash probably isn't. Some of the crazier stuff, because there's other ways of achieving those goals, at least according to Phoenix.
Speaker 3: And I kind of didn't want to put them on.
Speaker 2: Air, to be honest, Phoenix, because there are scary ideas. Very intelligent and thought about that.
Speaker 4: And your correct Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Just for the record, yeah, oh yeah, for sure. I think that's why it makes me a little nervous. But for now, thank you so much, Phoenix, Phantom, Flyer, dirty D, everybody else who's called in, and we will be right back with more messages from y'all.
Speaker 4: And we have returned. Thanks not just to all our fellow conspiracy realists who call in, but thanks as well equally to people or entities who take the time to write in. As we've often said, sometimes the void rights back. And I would love to share a great a great dialogue, a great discourse from a European Shepherd who's a long term fan of the show. You we will refer to as the Shepherd bancois you say, bonjour, good fellows. I have evolved through the Stuff podcast team from Stuff you Should Know Dylan, can we get a clap awesome? Through movie Crush Dylan, can we get a Hurrah awesome? And onto you guys. That's stuff they don't want you to know, and I must thank you all for entertaining and educating me through many a long day working in all weathers on our farm. In your recent episode The Terrifying Future of Food, However, as you rounded up the episode, a comment by Ben left me shouting into the wilderness. No Ben, why? Men? You summarize the episode by saying that the quote world would be objectively in better shape if we were all vegetarian?
Speaker 3: No Ben? Why?
Speaker 4: How could it be that the infinitely knowledgeable sir Ben Bullet and too kind and thank you could have found himself a proponent of a potential conspiracy of big veg or, at the very least, something they don't want us to know. Feel free to use my email on the air. My name is the Shepherd. So first off, excellent writing got us all on board. A lot of us in the audience tonight may be wondering, well, what would be the problem if the you know, if the human animal overall, all, you know, a point whatever billion went vegetarian. This is where the Shepherd brings up fascinating correspondence. Now, now to be clear before we continue, I think it's fair to say that Tennessee Pal, Matt, Frederick, Matt both hands, Frederick and Noll the bagman Brown and yours truly are omnivorous. Right, None of us are full vegetarian yet.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: I do enjoy vegetarian cooking, but it's never been like a lifestyle choice that I've made. I do have some friends that are vegan and love it, and I have friends they're like pescatarian.
Speaker 3: I guess to each their own kind of situation. Met you said it, Matt, you said it.
Speaker 4: And Dylan Tennessee Pal just logged in with again his astonishing Jamiqui music video background to throw us an ambiguous thumbs up. You are so good at this, dude, Thank you for being on the show. Also great Jamiqui costume. That's an Easter egg for La. So the Shepherd continues and says, I am a British sheep farmer working in France and have many neighboring farmers who grow vegetable or grain crops. They cut away traditional hedgerows and fell trees, cut trees down in the middle of fields to make giant superfields. They spray herbicides before plowing and sowing Their single crops which are harvested before the chemical destruction cycle begins again. This is stuff we have talked about. I am a shepherd, says the shepherd, and my fields have remained constant for two decades. No herbicides, no pesticides. We have wild flowers, thick hedges and trees to provide shelter and cover for our sheep. We have grounding nesting birds, a myriad of butterflies, bees, dragon and crane flies, plus other insects mammals, birds, foxes, deer, birds of prey, etc. This is where it gets. It's a very interesting not doing the catchphrase in this one. None of these have had the opportunity to establish themselves in a field destroyed by pesticides and plowing on a yearly basis. I would suggest, says the shepherd, that a vegetarian diet will inevitably lead to the extinction of many species of animals, insects, and plants, or at the very least a negative impact on biodiversity. Let's pause there, because I think that's a really important thought, you know what I mean, Like, what do you guys think about biodiversity in a world of global vegetarians.
Speaker 6: It's interesting I mean, doesn't biodiversity also apply to plant.
Speaker 4: Life very much?
Speaker 6: So yeah, okay, so are we talking what are we talking about here?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 6: Like I mean like that these these concepts not being able to coexist.
Speaker 2: What I think is being stated here is that if we became vegetarian, we would need a lot more land to be cultivated in the ways that are helpful for plants to grow, right, like large operations, because now everybody is eating only plants.
Speaker 4: And especially they'll be monocultural, which is the difficulty exactly.
Speaker 2: So then over time you're getting rid of even more places where wild animals tend to you know, proliferate. And if you continue that down the path, I can see this image. But what you're forgetting are vertical farms. I'm bringing it back up, guys, vertical farms.
Speaker 4: And I have a response to this. We'll get to as well. Yes, vertical farms, whether por sine or produce. Oh no, so let's go. You know, the shepherd you took the time to write to us. We want to give want to give the English on this one, all right, so you say, and thus my gauntlets are off, and I challenge thee to a duel. Good sir Ben, as a humble farmer, I know you guys love that phrase. As a humble farmer, without access to the statistics, I ask you this question, Sir Ben, is the reduction in animal farts by becoming vegetarian better for the planet than the destruction, if not extinction, of many species that thrive in long term grazing land. I hope you will read this on the air in the hope that this other side of livestock farming gets further consideration, as it is so often ignored the public debate about vegetarianism. All the best stuff, guys, the Shepherd, as as my colleagues knew here, folks did right back to the Shepherd and to your point map, which is excellent foreshadowing here it gets us to conversation about path dependence. Now, Shepherd, I wrote to you in depth because we're great fans of your perspective here, and most importantly, you brought a tremendously impactful point to all of us listening tonight. Path dependence, without getting too into the grass, is this sort of institutional theory arguing that group decisions, large scale decisions are often constrained by past decisions of previous institutions. The most famous examples of this are usually orbiting around the concept of technology, like the Querity keyboard. We all have a Querity keyboard right now, right anybody who's in devorak not mean got hard got hard from from Matt Noll at Dill. It is probably typing typing a message to us now on.
Speaker 3: One of those crazy split keyboards on his split keyboard.
Speaker 2: I noticed when I signed into the Discovery Plus recently why I have such a hard time using their search on their platform, because it is just a B C, D E, F G H I j K and just it doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 3: Aware is the freaking.
Speaker 4: That's the thing. Yeah, here, here's an example. We're going somewhere with this. Uh, the Shepherd you already know because you're part of our discourse. Oh gosh, hang on, Dylan just sent us a message in the chat. Don't get mad at us, Dylan, what did you send? All right, let's uh, let's give some space to Tennessee pal. Oh he said to us a picture of his keyboard, which is a maltron. I bet, I bet it's really clicke. Yeah yeah, oh nice. Oh that explains so much about our editing process tight.
Speaker 2: It's so ergonomic.
Speaker 4: For one hand, here's the deal, here's path dependent. It's a famous example of this. Fellow conspiracy realist. Keeping it brief, the querty keyboard is not the optimal layout for humans typing with their you know, with their collection of ten carpols or or whatever fingers. And the the reason it exists is because back in earlier evenings, in the advent of the typewriter, these little physical blocks of letters, right, each block is a letter used to fly at the page, and if you were typing too fast, if your fingers were too good at writing, then these things would jam. So people purposely figured out how to make a kind of crap layout for the order of the alphabet and numerical symbols, just because that would make typewriters jam less frequently. Now, you don't don't usually use a typewriter unless you're Tom Hanks and you collect typewriters. That's true story.
Speaker 6: Also quick shout out to the recent Ridiculous History episode on the history of the alphabet A.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, two parter. Oh we got in the weeds on that one. Please do it, please do check it out. That's a nice uh, whisper in we'll call it so I hear you, I see you. So by the time the technology evolved, the querty keyboard layout was already so normalized that it would call society more blood, sweat, and energy and treasure to change it than it would to build around it. And this gets us back to your excellent argument, the Shepherd, your work will only become more important as biodiversity continues to dwindle, and it's doing no small part to large scale agricultural practices that you mentioned in your initial correspondence. The human is not an obligate carnivore, meaning the human can definitely just the vegetables all the live long day and it'll be fine. It'll reproduce, it'll make more people. They'll have, you know, watch parties for Lost or whatever.
Speaker 6: It is funny though, like I love vegetables ben but in my mind sometimes just it just like it gravitates towards the steak.
Speaker 3: I find it to be yummier.
Speaker 6: But I also know that good vegetarian cooking is also yummy, and I think I just need to figure how to break myself of that. But I think a lot of people probably struggle with that too, where you know, there's something about meat that's just like it does it for you, even though we don't need it.
Speaker 3: It's totally a luxury.
Speaker 4: Well, check out the omnivores dilemma by Michael Pollen, which we keep to your point, Sarah whispering in. So here's the deal. I'm conceding your point, the shepherd. You have excellent work here, and you're very well reasoned. I will advance one caveat. Global vegetarianism sounds jolly. It won't work caveat for now, and it's because of that same path dependence. The way that the agricultural industry currently practices means it is unsustainable and untenable to grow enough vegetable matter for the entirety of the world's human population to only consume vegetables. And you know, just like our pals Tennessee Pal and know all the bag man and Maddie both ends here. Like all of us, I too, am extremely omnivorous, with very few exceptions. There's almost nothing I won't eat. I think we talked about it off air. You guys had to give up the octopus.
Speaker 6: No, they're smart, you know it's that. Yeah, it's like there are very few hills I will die on. But I do think about that every time I see it on a menu, and I usually avoid it because they are so incredibly sentient and feeling. But per our conversation or maybe a one sided conversation with Peta and that email about ascribing, you know, certain types of emotions and abilities to feel an experience to some species but not others. I think there are probably plenty of species other than octopi that know they're being you know, severely hurt and poor lives.
Speaker 4: And honestly, it might be different selfishly if there were an octopus population that lived for a very long time, Like if there was a fifty year old octopus and I knew it was the equivalent of a maritime war criminal. If there was a fifty year old, super evil Henry Kissinger solid sar pullpot type octopus, I would happily eat it. But unfortunately they're too smart. They burned so bright, and they die so quickly. Here's the thing I had to eat with this one. You guys had to eat a little crow because the Shepherd one nails some great thoughts and we hope you'll consider it as well. A massive rollout of industrial level produce farming with current technology, stuff that doesn't encounter, like you're saying, Matt vertical farming, soil reclamation, exciting innovations, and hydroponics. If you use the technology as it stands today, it will almost certainly spell disaster for the human population. We know there's there's a lot of stuff to the story here, but that's the basis.
Speaker 6: I think the question that came up for a couple of us, maybe all three, when that pig you know skyscraper or whatever story came through this was why do it with pigs, which is create such a nasty, you know, toxic literally environment that's horrible for the animals, it's horrible for the workers. Why not do it with soybeans or do it with And the answer was pigs are more popular. But it does feel like there will come a time where we can no longer lean on what's popular and it has to be more like, what is you know, how is this going to hate subsistence?
Speaker 4: Big picture, yes, there will come an evening.
Speaker 6: But that's a reckoning though, right, And it's like we just that's not how the world works, is it.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately we just kick the can down the road.
Speaker 6: And say if we can make more money selling people the thing they want, then why would we sell them the thing they need?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Well, but yeah, kicking the can is a band aid solution. You know, it works until it doesn't. With this, we want to hear your opinions, fellow conspiracy realist, regarding the idea of sustainability. What is your specific diet? Do you like us wrestle with the omnivores dilemma? Are you full vegan? Are you full vegetarian? Are you considering yourself an obligat carnivore? And if so, if so, how does it work? Before we end this listener mail program, we wanted to share with you some letters from home in the form of a couple holiday jokes from our pal, who may become a new nemesis. He's certainly a nemesis to comedy, Humorous Harry. Do you guys want to hear? Do you guys want to hear?
Speaker 3: Want is a strong word, but I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, we'll just do I went a little long with our exploration with the Shepherd. Let's just do one from Humorous Harry. It's a letter from him to all of us. Because of global climate change. Santa was surprised when his wife said, it looks like rain. Dear, Tut tut tut. All right, we'll do one more. This is for you, humorous Harry. What does Frosty the Snowman put in his cereal bowl?
Speaker 3: So ez? I like some of these. I don't got it. I'm working on it.
Speaker 4: Let's see what is Frosty the snow snow Man put in his cereal blow?
Speaker 3: Frosted flakes?
Speaker 4: Ah, so close, Judges, that's a yes, it is snowflakes, which I would say count as frosted.
Speaker 3: But it's Frosty the Snowman.
Speaker 2: I mean it's frosty flakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like you got it. I feel like the judges sent it there.
Speaker 2: And with that we all one more hold on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know I do kind of crave it now, I do kind of crave Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you do number ten? Ben?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? It's what I have bulded as well. Uh. Did you know that Santa's elves have present competitions, Matt?
Speaker 2: I did not know that. What what what kind of competitions?
Speaker 4: They like? Having wraps? Oh, I can't wait to see what you do with these outh. You're still and with that we can't wait to hear from you. Thank you to the Shepherd, thank you to Humorous Harry. Sarah. We're gonna get to you later, but we've cooked up some great synonyms that we're gonna pitch you for the idea of a shout out. Thank you to Phantom Flyer, dirty Deed, of course, Chickennato, and everybody else just like us. Moving forward to twenty twenty five, If you want to join the show, we'd love to have you on board. Let's get the band back together. Find us on email, find us on telephone, Find us on the internet.
Speaker 6: Indeed, you can find us at the handle conspiracy stuff, where we exist on Facebook, where we have our Facebook group. Here's where it gets crazy. Get in on the conversation. It gets crazy, y'all. You can also find us at that handle on x FKA Twitter. Then you pointed out the other day we got a pretty beascent following on that old X, so check it out at us whatever you do on X. You can also find us at that handle on YouTube, where we have video content glory for your perusing. Enjoyment on Instagram and TikTok. However, though TikTok's days may be numbered. You can find us at the handle Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 2: We have a phone number. It is one eight three three st d WYTK. Put it in your contacts when you call. It's a voicemail system. You've got three minutes. Say whatever you want. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. Why not tell us about the coolest present you gave this holiday season. We were talking about keyboards earlier, y'all. I stumbled on one, and we are not sponsored by them. Stumbled on one called a black chrome quirky writer that is designed to look like a typewriter. It's a keyboard for your computer, but it clickety clacks like a typewriter.
Speaker 3: Sounds awesome.
Speaker 6: Hunting and pecking, hunting and pecking one thingy and it's time.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's designed to give you that feel of sitting at a typewriter.
Speaker 3: Was like.
Speaker 2: It would go. It sounds exciting to me. Again, not sponsored, and it looks really expensive. But tell us about the coolest gift you gave. If you've got more to say than can fit in a three minute voicemail, If you've got links, you've got pictures anything like that. We do have a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 4: We are the entities that read every piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware, just like the shepherd. Sometimes the void writes back, do send us the link, says earlier mentioned. Do send us the photographs. When you do, we can all see it. When we respond, we all see it will move as a unit, and that unit indeed include you. Please please tell us your opinions of you know, your resolution. Let's hear your resolutions. We'll check back in later in what the humans call twenty twenty five. For now to do that, join us out here in the dark conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want you to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.