Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Good morning everybody, It's Wednesday, February twenty six. Welcome to Morning Run now guaranteed available by six thirty am Eastern Time every single day. I'm TJ.
Speaker 1: Holks and I'm Amy Roboch And on this Wednesday Morning Run, Big, Beautiful and barely getting by, the House passes Trump's massive spending bill in a wild scene on the Capitol floor that included a newborn baby.
Speaker 2: Also on the Run this morning, the administration makes a plea to undocumented immigrants leave now, maybe we'll let you come back later.
Speaker 1: Plus, if you thought the relationship between the President and the White House Press Corps was contentious before, just wait until you hear how he's gone and pissed him all off Now.
Speaker 2: And the Vatican stays on brand and keeps the Pope date short and sweet. We'll give you their nine word update about the Pope's health.
Speaker 1: Also, the crash was avoided, but the scene was still horrifying. A Southwest plain has to make a last second maneuver to avoid t bow owning another plane. The entire scene was captured on camera.
Speaker 2: Plus, a woman really thought she could fraudulently sell the most famous residents in Memphis and nobody would notice, apparently, so and now she's about to do a little jail house.
Speaker 1: Rock ah, like what you did with that first waffle house. Now Denny's, but never McDonald's. Mickeydees makes a promise we will never put a surcharge on your eggs.
Speaker 2: So some good egg news there, finally, but we do begin our run on this very busy Wednesday in Washington and presidents so called the President's so called big beautiful Bill. Well, it took a major and necessary step towards reality yesterday.
Speaker 1: The House approved the massive spending bill, which reflects the president's domestic policy agenda. It barely got over the finish line though the vote was two seventeen to two fifteen. All Democrats voted against it. All Republicans voted for it, except for one, Thomas Massey of Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was the holdout. He's just he's they called him a hawk when it comes to spending, and he just thought it was too much spending in it, so he held out against it. Still, they got it across the finish line. But President Trump had insisted on one massive bill to address everything, immigration, border security, energy taxes. Some Republicans, though, believe the best strategy and the best chance for success, would be to split his agenda up into smaller, bite sized bills. But in praise of this bill's passage yesterday, President wrote on social media that the bill implements my full America First Agenda, everything, not just parts of it.
Speaker 1: This bill included two trillion dollars in spending cuts and four point five trillion in tax cuts, including extending those tax cuts enacted during Trump's first term. Now, despite its passage, its future is not assured, as Republicans in the House and Senate will now need to resolve their budget differences and ultimately come up with a compromise that can get passed and that the President will sign. But you we mentioned at the top, it was a chaotic scene there on the House floor because.
Speaker 2: They didn't have the votes. It was scheduled to vote on it last night, but then they didn't have the votes, so they skipped the voting. The members were leaving walking out of the Capitol, they started getting alerts and messages and texts and notifications that hey, the vote is back on. So they came back in to vote in this chaotic scene, and you mentioned at the top there was a newborn baby there. This is just to kind of emphasize how important this vote was. There was a Congresswoman, Brittany Peterson, a Democrat of Colorado. She has been on maternity leave. She came back with her one month old Sam to DC by herself to vote. Now, it didn't go the way Democrats want it, but it just shows how critical every single vote was. That she came back with her baby to vote.
Speaker 3: Wow, she should use that.
Speaker 1: If there's some video of that, right there is, she should use that in her next re election campaign.
Speaker 2: It's already up on her website.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. I'm sure that was used to her advance. Hey, and rightly so they have to vote in person.
Speaker 2: Another guy has knee surgery, he's been out. He showed up as well to vote. That just emphasizes how important of a vote it was last night. We can tell you on the run though. On this Wednesday, with the Trump administration threatening illegal immigrants in this country with jail time and find if they don't sign up for a government registry, Apartment of Homeland Security announced yesterday that immigrants over the age of thirteen who are in this country unlawfully must join the registry by filling out an online form.
Speaker 1: The administration is actually enforcing a law, they say, that has been previously ignored by democratic and Republican administrations. It encourages people to self deport. A Homeland Security spokesperson said they are sending a clear message to those who are in our country illegally.
Speaker 3: I'm going to quote her.
Speaker 1: Now, if you leave now, you may have the opportunity to return and enjoy our freedom and live the American dream.
Speaker 2: So those who register will receive a registration document that adults must care and keeping their possession at all times. Trump's plan relies on a World War Two era law that created an immigration registry that was initially designed to identify suspected communists. The new policy would not apply to immigrants who are legal permanent residents or immigrants who are granted visas even if they have overstayed them, as well as immigrants with government work permits. Curious to see how this is going to work. You're telling folks who are in the shadows to come out of the shadows so we can kick you out of the country.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: That if you were here illegally and know you're here illegally, why you would then raise your hand and say, hey, let me put this in writing, I'm here illegally.
Speaker 2: But does it give a pathway? People always say a pathway to citizenship, and part of the path is you got to leave, correct.
Speaker 1: So that is the hope that they're encouraging folks to leave now to come back later. But we'll see if that actually ends up being something that immigrants sign up for.
Speaker 3: All right. Next up on our run.
Speaker 1: In a move that has steam coming out of journalists' ears, President Trump says he will decide who gets to cover him. The White House announced that the Press Office would now pick and choose which outlets get access to the president.
Speaker 2: So that power has rested with the White House Correspondence Association. This group spreads the wealth, if you will, among news outlets and decides who's a part of the press pool. It's been that way since the old forever until now, and the White House Press Secretary Carolyn Levitt yesterday said this.
Speaker 1: She said, moving forward, the White House press pool will be determined by the White House Press Team. A select group of DC based journalists should no longer have a monopoly of press access at the White House. A rep for the White House Correspondence Association pushback and accuse the President of choosing his own press corps, which is kind of exactly what he's doing. You know.
Speaker 2: The idea of them opening up the press room to different types of journalists, more podcasters, more people who write online, and I've influence.
Speaker 3: That was interesting.
Speaker 2: I think that was interesting and good idea. This is going to look he's shaking things up. So many things we do we do because it's just it's always been that way. Okay, fine, mix it up. I think him being the messenger is the problem for a lot of people, giving his relationship with the press, and it seems like he has decided you're a hand picking who gets to cover you, so you're almost hand picking how you're going to be covered.
Speaker 3: Correct, is the question? Correct?
Speaker 1: The problem is, though, as we found out, we'll see how this all works out, but when you don't allow access to folks who have wide and large worldwide audiences, they're going to write and report things anyway.
Speaker 3: So I would think you would want.
Speaker 1: To have exactly what you said and have access to question what you said from those folks.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want anybody in there who won't call it Gulf of America. That continues right score the ape suit. He's kicked them out of a lot of events because they won't start using Golf of America like he wants. So this is you got four years of this.
Speaker 1: This is just the beginning, is what I was about to say. All right, Next up on the jos On we are going to turn to Rome, where we received a nine word update from the Vatican today. The Pope had a tranquil night and is resting.
Speaker 2: Okay, you want to try with any tea leaves here because they give us a few words every day and then the whole world tries to decipher which it means. The Pope has been in critical condition now for a number of days we mentioned here, but had been in stable condition. He's thirteenth day now in the hospital. Yes, the longest day of his papacy is his fourth consecutive day, just mentioning there in critical condition. The Vatican went into a little more detail last night with an update saying there have been no acute respiratory episodes and that the Pope went under a scheduled CT scam.
Speaker 1: They added that his prognosis remains uncertain or guarded, dependent on who translated the Italian, but that also is ambiguous. The eighty eight year old Pontiff resumed some light work, the Vaticans said on Tuesday. He did that as well on Monday from his hospital room. And of course hundreds continue to gather nightly. It's cold, it was, it's been rainy in Rome, and sure enough every night folks come out to Saint Peter Square to pray for the pope's recovery. And we will continue to give you the very small incremental updates that we get from the Vatican twice a day typically.
Speaker 2: Okay, is it fair to say, last couple of days, the last two updates, there hasn't been anything negative in him. There hasn't been a downturn. At nine. There was one that even said a slight improvement, and this one is just he slept and he rested, so that I mean, I don't know, Tea Leaves, I'm trying to reason. Dan t Lee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess it's just good that it's not getting he's not getting worse. His condition isn't worsening. But who knows how long you should be concerned once the fact that he hasn't gotten out of hospital now it's almost been two weeks. That's alarming for an eighty eight year old.
Speaker 2: All right, well, well stay with us here on this Wednesday morning run. When we come back, a horrific scene that could have been even more horrific. A Southwest plain almost t bones another jet on the runway. How did this happen? We will get into that. Also, a woman tried to sell Elvis Presley's house. Her name an Presley. Also McDonald's with some good news when it comes to eggs. Stay here, all right, folks, let's continue on this Wednesday morning run. And this is a story that deserves video to go along with the description we're about to give you, But we're gonna do our best. They tell you what happened to Chicago's Midway Airport yesterday. A Southwest Airlines plate had to abort its landing to avoid colliding with another plane that was crossing the runway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the entire incident, as we mentioned, was caught on airport video, and you can see the Southwest plane coming in for what looks like a routine landing. Its wheels were just about to touch the ground when suddenly it pulls up and over a private jet that was crossing directly in its path on its runway.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, when you see the video, everything robes just describe. You can see it on video, but as you're watching it, you don't actually realize how much of an emergency and critical situation it is. Because the plane is coming in beautifully, it looks like it's landing like it's supposed to, and then it takes off again. It actually looks innocuous. But when you hear the details and you see that other plane right in its path, if that Southwest jet had continued landing on that runway, it looks like it would have absolutely t boned that other plane. That Southwest jet was coming from Omaha. It had to do a go around. They performed a go around maneuvers what they call it. But it eventually landed safely just about ten minutes late. The FAA said, the private jet entered that runway without authorization. Roads these are now we have to be careful here. There are so many incidents. Oftentimes you tell them, but it seems like you're amplifying in it and making things seem worse than they are but there have been a number of incidents of concern.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just in the last few months.
Speaker 1: Of course, we had the deadly crash over the Potomac with the mid air collision, we had the incident in Toronto.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is it seems.
Speaker 1: It's a little frightening to think that these are all happening in succession. Hopefully people are paying more attention. Now.
Speaker 2: That was the thing we talked with so much about FA and the air traffic controllers. This the audio was there. There's no other way to say this. There was a miscommunication and the pilot of that small jet did not follow instructions. He was told clearly, plainly, do not cross, and he crossed. And after he did later on that you can hear air traffic controller upset, like your instructions were to stop at this plane. At this point, the Southwest guy who's circling, he got up in the air and later said, hey, so how'd that happen? He said it very calmly, Yes, how that happened.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine he thank goodness for that pilot in his skills because he saved many many lives. All right, next up on the run, we're gonna head to Memphis where a woman is heading to jail for fraudently trying to sell a house that wasn't even hers.
Speaker 3: In that house, well.
Speaker 1: It happens to be the most famous residence in Memphis. We're talking about Graceland, the legendary home of Elvis Presley.
Speaker 2: She really think she's gonna pull this off. Now I've been hearing about this story and we're gonna explain how she tried to pull this off. But her name is Lisa Finlay, fifty three years old. She has now pleaded guilty to one count of male fraud for her brazen scheme to put Graceland up for auction, even though she had no right to do so. So robes How in the world was she trying to pull this off?
Speaker 1: Well, prosecutors say Findley forged the signatures of Presley's late daughter, Lisa Marie and a Florida notary to claim that Lisa Marie was in default of alone and that loan used Graceland as collateral. So then Findley filed public notices in May of twenty twenty four to auction off Graceland because she claimed that Lisa Marie was in default.
Speaker 2: This is now I don't even know about the default, but just the signing, fraudulently signing a dead woman's.
Speaker 1: And how about publicly auctioning off Graceland. You didn't think anyone was going to notice.
Speaker 2: This place is special to me. I am a kid from West Memphis, as you know. But this plead agreement, prosecutors did dismiss another account of aggravated identity theft. The fraud charge, though she pleaded guilty to, does carry a maximum sentence of twenty years in prison, but prosecutors are recommending she get about six years in prison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifty seven months. I believe was exactly what they asked for. But clearly she has some I would think she has some mental health issues.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to take you there. When I take you to Memphis, I'm going to take you by. Graceland's one of those things you can do so you can sign the wall out front. Everybody leaves their signatures.
Speaker 3: I've never been, and I'm looking forward to it, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, breakfast just got a little more expensive. Denny's has joined a growing number of restaurants that have added an egg surcharge to its menus.
Speaker 2: This is all because of the ongoing bird flu outbreak began in twenty twenty two, led to a nationwide egg shortage that has forced many restaurants to make some changes, including waffle House, which announced earlier this month that it would add a fifty cent surcharge per egg. I think theirs is indefinite, but they didn't say it was going to go on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they all keep saying temporary, but we'll see how temporary. You know, we forget and then the prices of the prices, and I don't know, I don't know who's going to hold them to that, but maybe we will just.
Speaker 2: Like signing up for those things like a free trial, right then you forget.
Speaker 3: About it, exactly. I got about ten of those right now. That's actually a true statement.
Speaker 1: The amount of Denny's temporary surcharge on egg dishes.
Speaker 3: Will vary actually from city to city.
Speaker 1: In fact, they even say from restaurant to restaurant, because it'll be all based on the local price of eggs.
Speaker 3: So see they're confusing us.
Speaker 1: Now we won't even know what the price you use to be from restaurant to restaurant. But like, this is actually a very big deal. When you hear these numbers. Avian flu has killed more than one hundred and forty million egg laying birds in the US over the past three years. And get this, nearly twenty million birds have had to be put down in just the past month alone because of this outbreak.
Speaker 2: And so there we go a dozen eggs. The prices for all those ninety five cents nationwide nineteen percent increase from just a month before. And I don't think there's any sign, there's nothing anybody's pointing to that this is going to go away anytime soon.
Speaker 1: When you keep reading the bird flu headlines, it seems like it's just getting worse.
Speaker 2: Actually, so we got all these sory egg prices, but one company has decided to take a crack at a different approach. They are taking more of a I don't know, a sunny side of approach, making a much different headline for our final leg of this run.
Speaker 3: You must be in a good mood because you read my cheesy riding.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel like fighting you on it. Let's just get through it.
Speaker 1: I have the biggest smile on my face because you just read my cheesy Right now, all right, McDonald's is not only vowing to reject any surcharge on meals with eggs. They're going in the opposite direction. They are discounting egg mcmuffins for one day only, but hey, we'll take it to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the breakfast sandwich. This Sunday, March second, customers can purchase an egg McMuffin and a sausage egg McMuffin for just one dollar on the McDonald's app.
Speaker 2: Is this not brilliant?
Speaker 3: More so smart?
Speaker 2: You're giving people a break, first of all, though they at least feel like you are. But you're not gonna come in there and just get an egg McMuffin. You can get the sausages over here, you gonna get the pancakes over there, and they're gonna spend money. So McDonald's and not like it they wrote this quote. Unlike others making news recently, you definitely won't see McDonald's USA issuing surcharges on eggs which are one hundred percent cage free and sourced in the US.
Speaker 3: Boom mic drop good.
Speaker 2: Good for you, McDonald's like yourself out.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know what.
Speaker 1: I like it when companies take advantage in a good way of a bad situation and McDonald's just brilliantly positioned themselves on that one.
Speaker 3: It's a little test.
Speaker 2: It's almost like they thrown a shot at somebody else, but subtly.
Speaker 1: And McDonald's has been struggling last year, tough earnings, and so they're already starting to see a little bit of a rebound and they're hoping that this helps. All right, we want you now on this Wednesday, to consider this as you go about your day today. It is our quote of the day.
Speaker 2: Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. I do love this. I've used this one before, seen it before this time.
Speaker 1: No, no, this is Thomas Edison, but I do. This is something that I have seen from you or heard from you as well. So I figured this would be a good one, but did not know Thomas Edison said this one.
Speaker 3: I love it. We It's so true.
Speaker 1: People want to get lucky or they want to have things happen, but usually you have to make them.
Speaker 2: Happen, you know the one. I've talked about this a lot because of people, young people we go out and talk to. They see your finished products, so they just want that success immediately they want, Oh, that YouTuber has a two million followers, as if that person has been working for the last seven years trying to get to that. So this is always the case. Oh, it's so hard for me, And we've dealt with interns years before, like, yeah, I just want to start at market number one and work.
Speaker 3: I'd like to begin at the network. How do I do that?
Speaker 2: And that's okay and it works. But sometimes people think things aren't working out for me because right in front of me is the opportunity. I just got to put on the overalls and buzz my eyes. Yes you do, folks, So take that quote with.
Speaker 3: You today, Yes, one more time for you.
Speaker 1: Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. And with that, we hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Robock, I'm G. J.
Speaker 2: Holmes. I'm getting out of these overalls and putting all the swim drunks as we speak. Let's see all tomorrow's run