Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What Drive with Me Right? Episode two fifty two. First of August. Football is in the air. The Olympics are in full swing. This is an old Bill Simmons idea, but it is the correct idea. If we could somehow get at the Winter Olympics, Summer Olympics, and the World Cup on three year rotations instead of four year rotations and stagger them that way every year we either had an Olympics or a World Cup. Every year we had a massive multi week international event where we watch sports that were not always locked into or in the World Cup. Watch the biggest sporting event in the world. It would just greatly enhance life is a sports fan. It's a minor tweak, and again it's Bill Simmons's idea from gosh, fifteen years ago, maybe twenty years ago. But every time the Summer Olympics come around, I'm reminded how much I love them and how into sports that I otherwise don't really care about, how invested I am, how nervous I get for these competitors, and so I love it. It's, you know, odd that we're going to start here in a moment talking team USA, and I am invested in this team USA. But I can watch basketball all year. I can only watch shooting and four man rowing and synchronize diving once every four years. And I got to tell you, by about fifteen minutes of synchronized diving watching, I'm ready to be a judge. I'm out there shouting out scores left and right. Demonsey, you're laughing. And also, by the way, you I don't know if this is a plus or a minus, but you're you know you're missing out. Your sisters are not, which is every night at eight o'clock group text, living room, Primetime Olympics, and Diora is sitting there annoyed and she's like, you're giving commentary on it. Deanna is seemingly into it, and then fades and I am locked in and yours. Two nights ago for the women's gymnastics, she was like, I already know who won because it's all tape delayed at night. She was like, you know, I get the spoilers on TikTok. I'm like, yeah, I know who won too. That doesn't change the fact we are locked in as a family watching these and your mom has been she has been hit and miss with it. I think she'll be there tonight because tonight women's gymnastics individual all around and Simone Biles is a part of it. And so your mom has, you know, a very defined rooting interest, much like Issa Ray at the Emmys a few years ago rooting for everyone black. And so there's a real investment in some owne biles success. Uh. And so I I just love it. I love it and I and here's the other thing, this is not even the part that I love the most. Track and field is amazing. And when we get past the week of swimming, swimming's cool. But you guys, know, I have my gripes with swimming, which, by the way, did you see Delanza that my courageous swimming take from years ago that I, you know, revisited a week and a half ago. You know, once again Nick Wright's idea stolen by a Twitter Charlatan. Did you see my exact take go viral?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't know. I can't remember what account it was from, but I did see something about like the short swimming pool hoax or whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh you saw. Oh I didn't see that. Oh that's what I'm talking about. So I am two things stolen. So well, somebody super viral tweet was like, hey, the metal counts and in the Olympics is nonsense because swimmers get to do the same length but different uh you know, different strokes, And they used my exact example. They were like, how many golds do you think Yousain Bolt would have if you had the one hundred meter dash, the one hundred meters side straddle, one hundred meter run backwards. I'm like, that's my take, guys, that's my take. That is flat plagiarism. Now the short swimming pool thing, here's the thing. I don't mind that going viral elsewhere because someone else can take the heat on that one, like I'm not the I don't need I don't need I don't need China, you know, and mad at me for exposing the potential fraud of the swimming cube. All right, demon's speaking of swimming, Let's get to the show. Here's what missed the cut. The greatest distant swimming swimmer of all time, Katie Ledeci, went to record her tying eighth gold. Dylan Reyola, who worked with Patrick Mahomes and his trainer this offseason, who Patrick Mahomes calls his little cousin, is cosplaying Patrick Mahomes. And I've got to tell you, I think it's a brilliant idea. I think that this absolutely will help his draft stock. And I think the shades, the hair, the look, all of it. Five out of five, Well done, sir, And Team USA defeats Nadole and Alcarez. I gotta tell you, I was not rooting for Team USA in that spot. I was rooting for Nadal and Alcarez. I wanted to see them continuing to, you know, go through this tournament. But all right, speaking of the speaking of the Olympics, demand let's go to US versus South Sudan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Team USA cruise through South Sudane yesterday. Lebron and Katie both performed well. But for this being the best team, there's sure seems to be a lot of problems. And like Tatum finally got to play but scored four points, My guy Steph looked pretty gas, Anthony Davis has banged up, and Embiid was binched. I think again, so for this being like the greatest Team USA team, why is this is a lot of problems? What's going on there?
Speaker 2: So I don't really think I think problems is overstating it. They've played two games that weren't exhibitions. They blew out their opponents both times. Now they didn't cover in South Study and I think they were like almost thirty point favorites. But I also so in nineteen ninety two, the original Dream Team, there were I know there was a tweet out there going viral that said everyone aside from the US team had nine the whole world essentially in those Olympics outside of Team USA had nine players that played in the NBA. But that was misleading because five of those nine as of those Olympics had yet to play in the NBA, so you can't really compare because you don't know who in these Olympics that haven't played in wood the whole world in ninety two, outside of Team USA, had four guys who had played a single minute in the NBA, and one or two of the four had literally played fewer than two NBA games. So it was Tony Koukoach and a couple others. Is it as of this moment the takeout Team USA. There are sixty two guys in the other eleven teams who have played in the NBA. The game is more global, the game is better, the talent is higher, all of it. So it absolutely, to me is reasonable to believe, given where all of these guys are in their careers compared to where everyone was in nineteen n two on that Dream Team, that this is the best Team USA ever. But also they're gonna have their work cut out for them. Also, speaking of age in the way athletes have changed, Levitard pointed this out yesterday in part I'm gonna point it out fully. So Larry Bird in the ninety two Dream Team was there because he was Larry Bird, but he was not an effective player. Anymore. He literally wore a back brace. And I don't know if I've told you this, Demanse, but this kind of shows you how much the NBA world has changed in the last thirty years. Do you know, have I ever told you how Larry Bird hurt his back like the injury that essentially ended his career. Larry Bird hurt his back because he was repaving his own driveway and fell down. Think about that. Maybe the greatest basketball player in the world at that point in time needed a driveway repaved, and he's like, well, I guess I'm gonna do it. And he hurt his back repaving his driveway, and he was never the same.
Speaker 3: As solid exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like Indiana, gonna drink some beers and repave my driveway. But here's why I mention it. Larry Bird in the ninety two Olympics was younger than Lebron right now. That's not surprising. Steph right now and Kevin Durant right now. So the three best guys on the team, and Stephan KD look essentially as good as they've ever looked or close to it, are older than Larry Bird was for the ninety two Dream Team. So all of those things are you know, factors or you know, kind of different little nuances of this team. I think Kurr has done a really good job. I also think the Tatum thing is wild. Like, let me ask you this question and then we'll talk Tatum, who do you think is having a better US men's basketball Olympic experience? Jason Tatum or Jalen Brown.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's probably Jen.
Speaker 2: It's Jalen Brown. Jalen Brown gets to be like, you guys snub me because of Nike. I'm gonna hang out with Kars, buy a bunch of Chanelle bags and send out tweets. Meanwhile, Tatum has to sit there and get a coach's decision D and P and then play seventeen minutes, play them poorly, Derek White out, you're cooking, yeah, man, and embeed. And so here's the thing. This is. This is, by the way, the argument against twelve stars is what we're seeing right now. The argument that what you should do is have eight guys you love, eight guys that are gonna get huge minutes, and then two specialists and two good vibes bench mob guys, and they're like that is because we're now in a spot where now, I guess the argument against that argument is, had you done that, Embiid would have definitively been one of the eight guys you love and you're relying on. And he has been bad. He has been you know what I mean he is. He has been flatly bad, and he's gonna evidently start the next game.
Speaker 3: Show.
Speaker 2: I am. I really want to believe in Embiid in the Sixers, and part of that is my own personal bias because because my buddy runs the team and he I think Darryl is a brilliant general manager, and I have massive respect for the fact that during the KDIE Warriors era, the whole Western Conference kind of was like, Eh, we're gonna punt on competing right now and try to set ourselves up for the post KD Warriors era, and Daryl was like, no, we're going for it, and they had him on the ropes. So I respect that, and I think he deserves to eventually win a championship. And they got Paul George, but man, Embiid has been a tough one. And then there's Tatum, which is I don't even like his quote. I'm gonna read you a Tatum quote. Let me pull it up real quick. He had a quote about, you know what the Olympics have, what he's going through, and what the last couple months have been. And it's a telling quote and an interesting quote where he says, quote, it's a unique situation, and it's not about one individual player a competitor, and you wants to play, obviously, but I'm not here to make a story about myself. You win a championship, new contract, NBA two K, twenty five cover Sports Illustrated. So after all of this, it's definitely a humbling experience. But what is so unique about the Tatum thing is in the last two months he has won a championship, got the biggest contract in NBA history, and been you know, his on Team USA, which is a prohibited favorite to win the goal. And I truly believe if two months ago you had one hundred NBA fans make their list in order one through ten, the top ten NBA players, and if today you had those same hundred fans make a top ten of the top ten NBA players, that Tatum somehow has moved down the rankings. He certainly hasn't moved up in winning a championship and being on maybe the most talented Olympic team ever has actually kind of hurt his standing in the eyes of folks. If we're just talking about who's the best, Like prior to the NBA Finals, Demanse, don't you think most people in their rankings would have had Tatum ahead of Kevin Durant? I do. It's like, man, Tatum's the best player on a sixty four win team, Like, I think most people would have had Tatum ahead of KD right now this moment. Do you think people would still have Tatum ahead of KD?
Speaker 3: Well the four point like the DMP like was I don't want to say it was a coach heir, but like he has no control over that. But with the four point game and him still not performing after he gets in, I could see him dropping. But I think it would be a little recency bias. I guess that that term you use.
Speaker 2: I no, that's that's fair. That's definitely that is the exact right use of the term. But it's also the finals. It's also felt like, man, you weren't you weren't at your It's a weird thing. So I just don't know how this is all landing with Tatum. Here's what I do know. If I'm Steve Kerr okay, and I am moving forward once we get to the games that really matter, my starting five is do I want? Yeah? If I If I'm trying to have my best five, my starting five is Steph, Drew Lebron, kd Anthony Davis. Those are my five. My guys off the bench are booker Ant, Derek White and Bam. And my we'll call you if we need you guys are Haliburton, Embiid and Tatum. That's just what it is for me right now. If you're in a spot once you get to the metal round where it's winner go home, those are the guys that to me. And Derek White's been excellent. Man, he has been excellent and it knows his exact role and is doing exactly what you want. Drew Holliday can get out there and play lockdown defense and not need any shots. Step obviously had a really bad game yesterday, but it's to me that's nothing to worry about. And Lebron and KD have been absolutely brilliant. All right, let's just ask this first follow up demonsay and then move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think that Lebron. Uh, while you work on that or hold that off?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Do you think that Lebron is letting his great his beard grow out with all the grays to show how old he is and how dominating he could still be in the game.
Speaker 2: So I, I actually do. So this was my take if you remember. You don't remember, but the audience might. I don't say that bad, but you and I weren't doing this. You and I weren't doing this. Go ahead about what am I gonna say?
Speaker 3: Go ahead, you're gonna say something about You're not gonna say anything about his beard. It's it's not about it's not about how Yeah, he's just showing and like, oh look at all these young guys. I got this this big gray beard, and I'm still dominating the game. I remember exactly what you said, but I remember, I remember the take, But go ahead.
Speaker 2: So that was so the the first game in the Bubble after the whole pandemic layoff, Lebron shows up in the Bubble with the greyest beard you've ever seen from him, and I felt that was intentional, uh, because I also think we know from how he played in the Bubble, Lebron probably physically felt better than he had felt in years, because he had this month's long layoff, and I thought it was a psychological thing of I'm a mess with these guys, and I'm gonna intentionally remind them I'm the oldest guy out there. By the way. It is crazy. He was the old man four years ago in the bubble in August of twenty twenty, and he's still the old man doing it now. But yeah, so I do think that's a thing. I absolutely do. Do you think that's a thing.
Speaker 3: So do you see James Harden going a graveyard in about five years? Well, he will be in the five years.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I you're given You're not giving James years.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not giving James old James Harden. James Hard turn thirty three, James Harden turns he turns thirty five this month. No, I'm not giving him five more years, James Harden. I think that this contract James Harden just signed could be his last contract, this two year, seventy million or whatever. I just don't think he's a guy that's gonna, you know, into his late late thirties. All right, let's go on to Aaron Rodgers speaking of you know, guys in their forties. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So since we last talked about Rogers, he's gotten in the spats with his ride receiver one his offensive line, and now now word at Jets camp is that he won't participate in preseason at all. So that means that by the time Week one comes around, it'll have been over six hundred days since Rogers completed a pass in the NFL. So how many units are replacing on San Francisco minus five and a half in Week seventeen or Week one? Sorry?
Speaker 2: Week one? Well, listen, I don't know that I'm gonna place a big bet on that because and I'm sure we'll talk about it later, but I don't know. If you see rock party this camp. Uh, he's had a bit of struggles that that that game does feel like the under for me. Uh in the Niners offense against the Jets offense. Uh. And geez, Louise man, someone's gonna make a compilation of this thing and making it look like I have a coke problem. I am trying desperately not to sneeze, and I just keep like scratching my nose, But I look like like Trump's kid on a late night interview, just just going crazy and so uh, I just I look like it. Uh as I was saying the well, no, oh, well that's a different thing. So that's you know what fair eat fair and balance? What? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What what is I guess, you know.
Speaker 2: Recovering the other seemingly in the midst Also, I think it's different forms of uh you know, uh different. It doesn't matter. Uh, smoke versus sniff doesn't matter. Not the point. The point is I am having an allergy attack in this room and on YouTube. I'm sure it looks terrible. Okay to the Rogers part. Uh, I think him not playing in preseasons crazy. I don't get it. I don't understand why he wouldn't. Last year they played him in preseason. He's now even further removed. I would think something, right, but right, it doesn't mean if he's healthy, which they claim he is, and he does look like he's healthy, I don't understand why he wouldn't play even if, and this might sound dumb, even if you're just gonna call running plays just so he can take some snaps from the center in real time, he can call out protections, he can communicate in the huddle. All that stuff that. I just don't think you want your first live snaps since you popped your achilles to be against the Niners front in Week one on national TV. That seems crazy to me. What asked me the follow up about the Jets totals win?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, how many more units do you want to place for Jets under nine and a half wins? I feel like you were hesitating.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a big bet. No, that's gonna be a big bet. The the more I the more that comes out of Jets camp, the more I'm convinced this is not a team that's gonna win double digit games. Uh, and so I am so. I yeah that when we do our post vacation in August and we do our season gambling show where we do all the over unders, everything, we will have a real investment in the Jets underachieving, just like we did last year. By the way, in investing in the Jets underachieving. Now, I understand Rogers popped his achilles, So that was kind of a you know, a gimme bet, But we're gonna be doing that all right. Let's go to other training camp stuff.
Speaker 3: Demonse, Oh yeah, so everybody's super opinionated during training camp Monday, Jj McCarthy's a bust on Tuesday's cake. Sam Darnold to the curb, brock Party is getting getting caught in that throwing picks in throwing picks in camp cycle? Are you going to wait until a preseason to read and say anything across the league? I think you've been going a little crazy on Party already.
Speaker 2: But well, I've been going crazy on Party again. I'm just the only honest man in sports media would seem this is the timeline for Brock Party. He gives an interview to Mike Silver, saying basically, I'm done being conservative in the last year when we had a lead. I take my foot off the gas. This year, I want to be more like Tom Brady. I want to step on people's throat. The first practice after that interview, he throws three picks. The next day's practice, after starting seven for seven with a couple of touchdowns, he has an eight pass stretch where he throws four interceptions, has two dropped interceptions, one completed checkdown, and one in eat pass. That's noteworthy, now, is it? Is it?
Speaker 3: Do you pan.
Speaker 2: Y? Yeah? But it isn't. Of course it is noteworthy. Uh. And the to me, I think JJ McCarthy is going to be the starter in Minnesota. I am interested in the quarterback battle in Pittsburgh. That to me is super noteworthy and interesting. Uh. And I think Russ missing time gives Justin a real chance uh to win that one. And I there's a real battle I think with the Giants is a sneaky battle for the season where I think Daniel Jones, because he has an injury guarantee if he plays poorly, could be replaced by Drew Locke. There's obviously a real battle going over Vegas and Denver as well. And yeah, no, go ahead, Denver, it's Jared said.
Speaker 3: Nick and uh and and Zach Wilson is in there too. I think they're saying that he's been doing well in camp.
Speaker 2: I don't think Zach Wilson has a chance, but I do think it'll be Nixon Stidham. And in Vegas it's Gardner and Aidan O'Connell. So those are the things in training camp I'm most interested in. All Right, let's go to the Giants.
Speaker 3: All right, So HBO finished there behind the scenes looked at Giants offseason. One potential takeaway is New York is going to turn things away and turn things around. Another potential takeaway is people are saying that the average football fantasy player might be able to be a bit better NFL GM, What lessons have you learned from when you're the GM of Lebron's Vegas team? If you got a photoshop for those watching?
Speaker 2: Will you too? Man? Oh? Hard Knicks practice with the Las Vegas Oh that's pretty good. I like that. Here's what I've learned. Don't let cameras into your facility unless you have immaculate job security and a R in the exact same page with the owner. I feel bad for Joe Shane. I also think this has not been a great look for Brian Dable, and of course they're just open disgust from a coaching staff standpoint at Daniel Jones is a tough look for him as well. Last year I nailed all five Hall of Famers on this very show. The Hall of Fame game is tonight. We see if a full year out I can nail the next class. We do that next. What's Right? All right? Welcome back in What's Right with the great episode two fifty two. All right, let's get to the NFL Hall of Fame Demonsey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so football is back tonight. Caleb Williams does not playing, so who cares? Sorry all those Tyson badget fans out there. Something we do care about is the Pro Football One of them, the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Last year, you accurately predicted the Hall of Fame class. So here's your chance to do it again this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, last year, once we got to the twenty five semifinalists on this show, we tried to narrow it down to the ten finalists, and then we said, if it were up to us, that Andre Johnson, Julius Peppers, Patrick Willis, DWIGHTE Frani, and Devin Hester would be our five. I remember a lot of the reaction to that. Was the most notable name that I did not have on there that people thought I was insane for leaving out was Antonio Gates, who was a first time you know, a guy who was eligible for the first time. I ended up I was again, I don't sound arrogant here, I don't mean to, but I ended up nailing all five. I was a little shocked myself that I did it, but I did. So now we have to say, this will be a little harder because we don't have the finalists yet, but we you know, last year we did it once we had the semi finalists. So here are the guys who last year were semi finalists and did not even become finalists. So it doesn't mean they're eliminated. But last year they didn't even make the final ten, let alone the final fior. I'm sorry, last year they didn't even make the final fifteen or so, let alone the final five. And Kwam Bolden, Tiki Barber who is not a Hall of Famer, London Fletcher who is not a Hall of Famer, Eddie George who is not a Hall of Famer, James Harrison who might be a Hall of Famer, Robert Mathis who might be a Hall of Famer, Steve Smith Senior who might be a Hall of Famer, Ricky Waters who is not a Hall of Famer, Vince will Fork who is not a Hall of Famer, and hinz Ward who I do not feel as a Hall of Famer at all, but a lot of the media loves him. He's been a semifinalist eight times and might be a Hall of Famer. But again, those were just the semifinalists. Here are the guys who were finalists but did not make it. Eric Allen in his eighteenth year on the ballot, Jared Allen who has really good numbers but is a tough one because the team us on my Chiefs primarily were not good. Willie Anderson, who I think will make the Hall of Fame one day, jarr Evans who I think will make the Hall of Fame one day, Antonio Gates who is going to make the Hall of Fame soon, Rodney Harrison tough one, Tory Holt gotta get in at some point, Fred Taylor, Reggie Wayne who I think gets in at some point, and Darren Woodson. So here is the key to it. Who are the new guys who were not on the ballot last time who can take a spot? Eli Manning first time on the ballot, Luke Keikley first time on the ballot, Marshall Yonda first time on the ballot, Marshawn Lynch first time on the ballot, Terrell Suggs first time on the ballot, Darren Sprawls won't make it, Joe Staley won't make it. A Key to Leave won't make it. The late Demarius Thomas no chance of making it. Claim Matthews won't make it, Ryan Khalil won't make it. No Cooch Matthews, No he's not. He's not a Hall of Famer. I don't think. So here is what I think happens. I think that Eli is going to be a first ballot guy. I don't know that I agree with it, but I you win two Super Bowls as a quarterback in New York, both over Tom Brady. I think he will make it first ballot. I do not think anyone else in this class makes it first ballot. Keithley, Yanda, and Suggs I think are all eventual Hall of Famers, but I don't think they will make it first ballot. Keithley gets helped by the fact that Patrick Willis got in very similar career Arcs so dominant short career. Suggs I think eventually gets in, but is going to have to wait. And Yonda, I don't think he can get in before jar R Evans. So I think right now next year's class will be Antonio Gates, Tory Holt, finally getting in, Eli, Manning, Willie Anderson. That's four guys, and you know what I think. I think Suggs may be does get in first ballot and Terrell Suggs that is again I'm not gonna be held to that, but that is where I stand right now now. Bill Barnwell, yesterday I haven't read the article yet, came out with who he thinks is going to make it. Oh wait a second, Oh well, I'm going I have to adjust my take because there's somebody on this list that I didn't realize was the first year eligible. Barnwell projecting next year's class will be Eli who I said, Antonio Gates, who I just said, Terrell Suggs who I said, Jared Allen who I don't agree with Bill on that, And then he had Adam Vina Terry in his first year eligible. I didn't realize Vinit Terry's eligible this coming year. I'm sure Barnwell's right, then then he will get in. If Vinitary's eligible, then he'll get in, and I think Suggs will have to wait. I think the first time will be Eli and Vinitary, and then I think it'll be Willie Anderson, Antonio Gates, and Tory Holt. That's my projection for next year's Hall of Fame class. UH and Gabe says he doesn't know kickers were eligible. He didn't like it. Hey, listen, in my lifetime, there's two kickers that are Hall of Fame worthy, Vinitary and Justin Tucker. Those are the two. Uh and Vinitary is the most clutch kicks in NFL history. Justin Tucker is the best kicker in NFL history. Those two guys should get in demons before we move on to the game. You have any thoughts, anything you want to say, I see it. You're furrowing up.
Speaker 3: No, I just I was confusing Justin Tucker with another I was confusing him with your kicker for the Chiefs for some reason. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh, Harrison Butker, Yeah, okay, sounds yeah Buckers No, no, no, Ellisen. Bucker is an excellent kicker, and he's made a bunch of clutch kicks. But in order to be and again maybe I'll be wrong, maybe Minitary won't make it, But in order for a kicker to make the Hall of Fame, you kind of have to be the goat of something. And Military has the most points in l history, played forever and hit all those clutch kicks to win Super Bowls. Now again, I mean, you can say the Butcker hit, you know, hit big field goals on the Chiefs run. But he's not that guy. And Tucker is the most deadly kicker in NFL history. All right, let's play. Nick makes it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So there's a lot of broken things in sports right now. Luckily we have the man to make them right and Nick right. So the first off, we got a three v three basketball. It's fast paced, exciting hoops. The only issue is Jimmer for Debt is our star player and we're down two YEA qualifying and other FEBA commitments overlap with parts of the NBA season, which is why we don't see NBA players out there. How do we make this right?
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty simple, and I don't need them to practice together or qualify together. I don't need any of it. I think that at next year's Olympics, this is what we do. If we're that we have our twelve guys who are on the Olympic team, and then three bench mob type role player guys who don't care if they play or not. Once we have the exhibition season of the actual Olympic basketball, we figure out of those twelve stars on our Olympic team, the three that are gonna be the odd men out this year, it would have been Embiid, Tatum, Halliburton, and we say good news, fellas, good news, bad news. Bad news is you're not gonna be on the Olympic team anymore for five on five. Good new news is you're gonna return us to glory in three on three and you three guys are gonna go dominate three on three basketball.
Speaker 3: That's is that your pick for your three.
Speaker 2: Three three guys who are on the again. The thing with the three v three is it's twos and ones. So threes, which are two's are actually at a huge, huge premium because they're worth double. So that's why, like you have a guy like Jimmer for that. But yeah, I think Haliburton, Tatum, and Embiid would go ahead and win the three on three tournament. So that's my that's my answer, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, So, as we talked about last week, kickoffs are changing this year. Another wrinkle on side kicks are all but dead. Now only only trailing teams in the fourth quarter are allowed to try them, and they also need to announce that they're trying at first. Is there anything that we could do to make this right, that's that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, what do you mean.
Speaker 3: Like onside kicks are already super hard to execute. It's like, oh, you got to definitely go and tell us you're doing them now.
Speaker 2: But well, I mean, listen, they I mean they basically tell them they're doing it now when they as long as I'm surprising, you know when the other team's doing it because of how they line up. Listen. I liked the fourth and seventeen suggestion to replace on side kicks, which is, you have the ball on your own thirty, you have a fourth and seventeen. If you get it, you keep the ball. If not, the other team gets it wherever that play ended. That's like a I like that idea. I don't think I think it's too revolutionary for the NFL. I don't really care about on side kicks, to be honest with you. I do like the new kickoff rule, and I think the new kickoff rule is going to expose well coached and poorly coached teams. So I'm excited to see that. All right, let's go to the next topic. Demos.
Speaker 3: Uh. Everyone agrees Patrick Mahomes is the best quarterback in football. So here, Bobby Witt Junior has now answered the conversation with the best player in baseball.
Speaker 2: Hit four ninety in July, hit four ninety four ninety five twenty eight thirty splits for a month.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Yeah, it's not fair that Kansas City is home to the two best players in the sports. So to level the playing field, how do we make it? Right?
Speaker 2: All right, we don't need to level the playing field. Here's my question, city by city major American sports. And I'm just not gonna include hockey because I don't know enough about hockey. But Kansas City just flat wins if it's your best two guys, even though we only have two teams, like who like, let's just go major cities, right, So for Houston, it'd be CJ. Stroud and Altuve or CJ. Stroud and Shingoon. I don't know they're out. Dallas would be Luca and Mica. Pretty good. Who wouldn't new your calf? You got ten teams who would new your calf? Judge and all right, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right, Judge and Brunt, I think is right.
Speaker 3: I thought wet we were staying in sports, but yeah, you had said, Luca, we're going all on the outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the football, basketball, baseball, Miami would have Jimmy Butler and Tyreek h saying no, no, no, no, we're not We're not doing that. I said. The three major American team sports, uh L A L A is.
Speaker 3: Close and Bron. I think it is what it would Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's close for Mahomes, Mahomes, Bobby Witt Pittsburgh would have t J. Watt and Paul Skeens.
Speaker 3: Close. Then you're saying Mahomes is better than Lebron in their respective sports, I.
Speaker 2: Think right now, yeah, of course, well okay, yeah, yeah, right now, Uh who would the Bay Area have Christian McCaffrey and Steph That's pretty good, that's pretty good. Uh yeah, but yeah, we have the okay soup, we would have the We would have the best duo of any of anybody's crazy man Daniel. Daniel just totally embarrassed himself by texting Jokic and Pat Sertan the second Daniel get out of here and Patsertan is a really good corner and he but they are not. Kansas City's second team of Kelsey Salvi Prez would would go toe to toe with Jokic Patzer Tangingior, give me break? Uh? And so, but yeah, I mean Kansas City. We got the best duo. I love it all right? Last one demande.
Speaker 3: Reason has been committed. The House of Dragons season finale was leaked online earlier this week. How do we make it right? That's so?
Speaker 2: Why do people do just say listen? I don't know, but I've avoided spoilers, so I'm excited. Listen. I've really enjoyed the season. I'm bummed it to only eight episodes. Back when I was a kid, TV shows would be twenty three episodes, and then they recently became twelve or thirteen, and then all of a sudden, it's like, no, they're ten, and now some seasons are eight episodes. That's disappointing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that the season finale was coming up until last week's episode, when they were like the second to last episode, Like, what is going on? The season just started? But I've avoided the spoilers. All right, we'll do some listener questions wrap up the show next. What's right? All right? Welcome back in? What's right with Nick? Right? Demon's a let's do some listener questions.
Speaker 3: Hey, so, David mckel rearing asked Nick, which Lebron nickname is your favorite? Captain Lamerica or the whole Testament.
Speaker 2: I like Captain Lamerica. That's pretty funny. The old Testament I hadn't seen. I think the listen. I gotta tell you, the picture of Lebron holding the flag with the boat going down the scene is pretty was pretty dope. And then like some of these pictures of Lebron are just unintentionally funny when Coco Goff's doing the interview and he's just standing behind her like these they're legitimately funny pictures, man, and he is really leaning into this whole you know, this, this whole experience, and part of it's dope. Part of it's sad because, as I said to Colin yesterday, it's on the board that these Olympic games are the last super meaningful games of Lebron's basketball life, that the Lakers are just not gonna be competing for championships. And Lebron's been excellent, Durant's been excellent, Lebron's been excellent, It's been great to watch, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Matt versus Money, question for Nick, and question for Nick and Alcarez. Question for Nick, did out has cost them the match? How did you feel about Coco's Olympic performance? She struggled a bit in mixed doubles, but she was trying to carry.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I have not. I've not been as locked in. I don't. I don't think it's fair to say Alca has cost them the match. I know Coco lost, but I wasn't the a lot of the tennis that's been going on while I've been prepping for the TV show, so I can't really give you fair analysis on that. All right, let's go to the next one.
Speaker 3: Facing Felix said Sugg justin for Nick, sports climbing is a must watch.
Speaker 2: Listen. I love these I don't want to say random, but these sports that I otherwise wouldn't see. I totally agree.
Speaker 3: Go to aj Aj says, what are your thoughts on the Turkish shooter? Who got so? Who got silvery?
Speaker 2: Guys? Awesome? All these other folks have like an eye cover and this and that. This dude just comes out there, puts his hand in his pocket, no eyewear and just nails and just crushes. I love that picture.
Speaker 3: That was awesome. That was awesome.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to the last one.
Speaker 3: Justin Pinders said, Hey, Nick, after watching your show, my football knowledge grew a thousand times and I feel I can rival your basketball knowledge. Now. I want to start a pod any tips. I'm a year older than Demon's.
Speaker 2: The only tips are in the beginning of one of these things. Do not worry about how many people are listening. It's actually to your benefit to not have people listening because you just want want to get the reps and you just want to get comfortable and figure out what you want to do. Like, don't worry about like growing subscribers and stuff like that. Uh in the beginning at all. Just worry about doing it and do it consistently and you'll get better. All right. Other best sports duos uh DJ doc Nev says Zion and Cam Jordan for New Orleans. I with respect that that's if that is the right list, that's a sad list. It's an indictment on the Saints. And I like Cam Jordan, but he's one of the oldest players in the league. Horton GMR says Elie de la Cruise and Burrow. That's not bad. I like, I mean Ellie's no Bobby Witt junior, but he's exciting and Burrow's awesome. Uh, Carter says Justin Jefferson an ant that's pretty good. Uh ledbetter said Luke and Michael. Yeah, that's the one I came up with for Dallas as well. Uh that that could have been a fun you know, I keep saying, you know, for the slow summertime we do you know this show. I think we said we're gonna do like a dog ranking show. We haven't really had a slow summertime. This is the Olympics. We've had a lot of stuff going on. All right, good show, Good job Demansey. I will see you guys on TV in a few hours. Enjoy the Hall of Fame game. What's right? Hey? Thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget We're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demanday another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,