Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm great. I just warmed up my coffee. I'm in my new I'm in my new location. I was gonna look very similar.
Speaker 1: It's it's similar, but I feel like I feel like is that a new lamp? Yeah, new new lamb, like all slightly different. Right, the book shelves a little further over that way. The doughnuts now kind of more out of your head as opposed to directly next to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ben Franklin is still up here, the bust of Ben Franklin.
Speaker 1: Bust of Ben Franklin, as it should.
Speaker 2: Be prominently displayed. But yeah, no, this is my first recording from my new house, my new office and my new house, so hopefully. Oh it's great. I love it. I love it. I'm still kind of like figuring out where things go. But no, I'm very very excited to have just so long.
Speaker 1: How long have you been in the house now? Officially about two weeks?
Speaker 2: About two weeks we had movers finally move the heavy furniture yesterday and like all of my plants and my totally figs and all of the all of the heavy staff. Right. But yeah, so it's been a couple of weeks. It's great. Love, I love it, you know, like I'm living here and not living in two different places.
Speaker 1: That it's the worst. It is the worst, that weird overlap of.
Speaker 2: I mean limbo.
Speaker 1: To be fair, though, that limbo is a luxury sometimes because if you've ever had to move directly from one to the other, you know that also sometimes that limbo is actually kind of a lifesaver where you can go in between.
Speaker 2: But totally, totally, I feel very privileged to be able to move as slowly as I did.
Speaker 1: But it's such a Yeah, moving just in general, is I mean, isn't it one of the top six most stressful things in your life? Yeah, it's like death, divorce, moving, I've.
Speaker 2: Been through all. I've been through all of them.
Speaker 1: I've been through a lot of them, so I've done all that. Sometimes I like to do like four out of six at once, you know, just a challenge, right, Yeah, it's just like, oh, how many of these can I mark off at once?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Before completely collapsing?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh goodness. But yeah, we had our first earthquake in the house too. Remember we had a.
Speaker 1: Few quite timely, Yeah, we very timely. Considering what we're discussing today discussing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I was a little bit worder. I'm like, oh, this is that an earthquake? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, and they were a little further out your direction kind of. They were more like Pasadena Lachnata area.
Speaker 2: Yes, there were not your way, but Lake elsinor too, which is a little bit more out my way. Yeah, but yeah, I feel like we've because we've been through so many earthquakes. I feel like sometimes I'm like, am I just dizzy? Like am I just old and dizzy?
Speaker 1: Or I'm a little Oh the pools washing. That's always how I know, because I'll be out here in my office or I'll be and if I see the pool starts, well, the first indication is, yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 2: More accurate than the Richter scale or the it's more accurate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can I know exactly what what it measures on the Richter scale by how far my pool slashes.
Speaker 2: So did you feel any of these recent earthquakes or do Yeah?
Speaker 1: You felt yeah, Okay, I felt him. I usually like it's interesting. I'll feel sometimes the ones in the middle of the night too, I'll like wake up and feel it, but I don't if it kind of ends pretty quickly, I'll be like, all right, it's tapering off. I don't need to like get out of bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, the level of panic is directly related to how tired you are, right well, and I.
Speaker 1: Think when the kids were littler too, it was like any little like I you know, it was immediately and that now I'm like, okay, they probably slept through that, you know, they didn't even notice. But no, yeah, it's we've had We've had several lately.
Speaker 2: It's been you know, it's earthquake weather. It's hot and dry, and that's man.
Speaker 1: We live in yeah, in California, and Japan's been having some so yeah, you know that little uh, that little Pacific ring of fire.
Speaker 2: But I know everyone says, oh, I'm so glad I don't live in LA because earthquakes, And I'm like, yeah, but you don't. You don't get warnings about them, which is kind of better for people who are anxious like me, and like, I'd rather not have warning because then you hear, you experience, you.
Speaker 1: Have just to know sort of you know, all these there's no warning, but also like it's kind of nice to have a heads up, you know, and be like okay, I can board up my windows for the hurricane, or like go into.
Speaker 2: A go anker. Yeah, you know, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm of the mind that if there's going to be a natural disaster, just give me five minutes, you know. Oh okay, hey, don't stand under that thing, you know what I mean. That's all I want to know.
Speaker 2: I'd rather not know. I'm like, either I'll surviving this or I'll die. And either way it's only five minutes of my life, and I don't I won't wag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very opposite because normally I'm a prepared person and you're not.
Speaker 1: So you know, I don't know that my reaction is going to be wildly different. I just might change location, true, you know what I mean, I just might not be naked in the shower. Really, that's mostly my concern is, like is this going to catch me at in a moment where like I have to throw clothes on? Are my shoes available? Like what's happening? You know what I mean? That's the old Like I said, five minutes, even, just let me put some pants on, you know, pants and not flip flops, like and some proper footwear and then I'm then I can I'm ready for anything and I don't want it. Yeah, hitting, yeah, I don't. I know it can't be, you know, naked in the shower and I'm slipping, And it's just in that regard, I would just like a little a little warning.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, well.
Speaker 1: They do have the like the the earthquake sort of warnings. Now they're getting more and more.
Speaker 2: I just did that app. There's a shake. There's a shake. APP.
Speaker 1: I thought you didn't want to know, but I want to apps.
Speaker 2: No, but I want to know. I don't I don't believe that an app can predict or can know that there's an earthquake happening minutes before app It's well, yeah, but it's does it does it actually give earth?
Speaker 1: Does the Earth does things? Before the earthquakes are down in the center of the Earth, there's usually a I mean not like a huge warning, but like right, a little bit. And really the thing is is it's more about learning what the patterns are. So that's sort of the that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I've only gotten one alert so far, and it was for an earthquake in Japan, so it hasn't been super helpful for me.
Speaker 1: Anybody had Remember when we were doing press in Japan and there.
Speaker 2: Was I forgot about that. We were Yeah, we were sitting you, me and Candas were sitting and there's a Netflix backdrop behind us. Yeah, and all of a sudden, we're like, is that an earthquake? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was Japan. And everyone in Japan's like, yeah, it isn't fine, there's like keep going, keep yeah. Yeah, and I remember Canos got really freaked out. She was like, I need to know what exit is and yeah, I think I was like, it's Japan, They've planned for this stuff. Yeah, it was. It was wild, yeah, because it was like a pretty it was a decent it was a big, like a five something significant. Everyone was pretty non plussed. Honestly though. For earthquakes, Japan is the place to be. They it is so built or top of the line, like earthquake.
Speaker 2: They are prepared. Yeah, they know what they're doing, they're prepared, they're calm. Yeah, let's yeah, we should all.
Speaker 1: Be in basic basically the opposite of us. They know what they're doing, they're prepared, they're calm. Should we should we get into this step into this episode? Please? Before we just keep freaking everybody out before talking, for everybody downloads the earthquake apps and yeah right, it's analyzing the fault lines.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome back to Howard you Tannerito's. My name is Andrea Barber and I'm Jody Sweeten, and today we're discussing Season three, episode eleven, titled after Shocks. It originally aired on December eighth, nineteen eighty nine, and it goes a little something like this earthquake, A tremor shakes everyone up, especially Stephanie, who immediately becomes a clingy daddy's girl. So for some context for our listeners who may not know, this episode was telecast less than two months after a real life San Francisco earthquake, which took place in Loma Prieda on October seventeenth, nineteen eighty nine. It was a six point nine magnitude and the aftermath was very grim, with sixty three people losing their lives, thousands of people injured, and widespread property damage. So this is an important episode. This is a really deep, meaningful, important and timely episode at the time, so it deserves some good conversation, and we are going to have good converse today and coming up later this week too. Yea. It was directed by Billy Foster Coffee Coffee, I want to say Billy Coffee Foster, Billy Coffee FS. Okay, I'll change it up. He directs a lot more, so I'll change And it was written by Jeff Franklin and Lenny Rips, two of our favorites, you know, knocking it out of the park. We have Nancy Dessaut as doctor Marion Steiner. She's best remembered as Muriel Rush on Too Close for Comfort, she played the mother of Lydia Cornell's character, who we've.
Speaker 1: Also had on the podcast I Love That and on Full House, Wow, it's too close for comfort? Just you know what? We could have moved too close for Comfort into full House. Yeah, we should have done.
Speaker 2: We should have combined, we should have done across over across.
Speaker 1: Yeah, too close for full house or too full for comfort something I don't know.
Speaker 2: Too full for comfort for comfort. Yeah. And Nancy also had a very prolific career in acting. She did forty eight episodes of The New Dick Van Dyke Show and many appearances on the Love Boat, Matt Locke Murder. She wrote Matt About You and a lot of other things that we don't have time to talk about. Yeah, she's fantastic.
Speaker 1: She was great.
Speaker 2: And then we have Aaron McNelly as Aaron. This is her only credit on IMDb, but she's a very special guest star because she's a little girl that Stephanie meets in the therapist's office, and she was a seven year old who had cystic fibrosis who Jeff heard about through the Starlight Foundation, which is an organization that grants wishes to seriously ill children. And it was Aaron's wish to be a movie star, and Jeff granted that wish. Yeah, it's such a like I just got more fuzzy. He's just thinking about that really special, very special and sadly Aaron passed away in two thousand and eight at the age of twenty six. So very very glad that she got to be part of a very special episode.
Speaker 1: That means me happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we start with the teaser in Jesse's room. Jesse and Joey are sitting on Jesse's bed. Jesse's playing the guitar and Joey is playing the harmonica while wearing a beret.
Speaker 1: Berets were very big. Do you remember Dave actually used to wear that beret, yeah, and play the harmonica like that. Yeah, that was actually yeah, that was not a like a full house thing. That was just yeah, Dave had a beret and played the harmonica.
Speaker 2: I love that image of them just sitting back with their sunglasses on, right, just playing the harmonica and the guitar. That's just that's so them. Yeah. Michelle walks in and loudly requests the Teapot song, and Jesse obliges and tells Joey let's give her some Teapot blues.
Speaker 1: Ooh.
Speaker 2: The guys both slide on a pair of black sunglasses and do a bluesy ren edition of I'm a Little Teapot, and Michelle does the little accompanying dance.
Speaker 1: It's a classic.
Speaker 2: It's a classic. She's so cute. The song ends, Michelle shouts rock and roll, and the guys continued to play as Jesse tells Michelle to shake that tushy. It was very they the Olsens loved this.
Speaker 1: They dance, yeah, yeah, they're little shaky dance. Yeah, they love that. And I have to say, does John have leopard cowboy boots on? Are they like leopard calfskin? Cowboy boots like they're sort of they're fuzzy, like I can tell they are, not that they have.
Speaker 2: I wasn't looking at his feet. I did see the leopard skin. Tell you they blanket on behind him on his bed. No, this was on his feet.
Speaker 1: He had like like animal hair, some sort of not like long hair, but like you know, the calfskin were like on a on a they were leopard.
Speaker 2: They were leopard leopard boots doesn't choice so they're not silver tipped, but they were.
Speaker 1: No, but they were. They were aggressively square toed leopard boots.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, aggressively they were very like edgy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had a big gap.
Speaker 2: Was this John's way of dressing in real life? Like, I don't remember him making such bold choices, but he wouldn't wear something we didn't want to.
Speaker 1: So she must say, Jesse, that was what he would have worn. I mean in real life. Now he realized he was sweatpants and sweatshirts and a backwards hat, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, not a bold choice for Jesse.
Speaker 2: For Jesse definitely fit the character. Yeah, that's hysterical. I did not notice the boots, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Go back and watch it so prominently. I'm raped, I'm on the floor there they're sitting, and then I was just like, wow, intense.
Speaker 2: Pulling focus from the scene.
Speaker 1: It wasn't. I was like, I don't even know what song they're playing. All I can see is leopard boots.
Speaker 2: So next we are in the kitchen. Jesse pulls out a green toy from the garbage disposal. He turns to Michelle and asks how Gumby got stuck in there. She throws her hands up and she says, don't look at me. Just then Joey walks over and notices, Hey, you found my Gumby?
Speaker 1: DJ is gummy?
Speaker 2: Even?
Speaker 1: Like do people? Did kids even watch Gumby anymore?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Well, yeah, is he so watching.
Speaker 1: Clay Nation Gumby?
Speaker 2: I had a Gumby. I loved my Gummedy.
Speaker 1: I don't think I think that means that they don't sell them anymore. If we if it was something that we had and loved children, that's definitely gone.
Speaker 2: It's now in this smithsona Now yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: They're like, look at this in a cage, this little box. Yeah, Gumdy, what does it do? Nothing? It just stands there.
Speaker 2: What. Yeah, it was fast, That was it.
Speaker 1: That was what you had. Maybe it stretched a little bit because it was gumby.
Speaker 2: We had very low expectations as children. So DJ and Kimmy walk in coming back from school. DJ excitedly announces that she got her costume for the Christmas play tomorrow. She expects the family will think it's cute, but if they don't, she begs them to lie since she has to wear it anyway. Caim me ask Joey and Jesse if they did any work today or if they just played housewife? Dang rude Kimmy me, damn rude to the guys and rude to housewives? Like how how many people can offend?
Speaker 1: I mean a considerable about of the population right in that joke. But I yeah, but you know what though, but they're always mean to Kimmy, so I always I was also kind of like, yeah, you know what, Kimmy, come here, say dishes some things? Yeah, yeah, talk. Some people are always mean to you.
Speaker 2: You're a child, you know, you know, so you do have a point, Yeah, you do have a point.
Speaker 1: And also she's not wrong. I mean what these guys are sitting in bed playing guitar for a toddler with you. I mean, what are what are they doing? Really so right?
Speaker 2: Jingles? I guess you know, I know.
Speaker 1: Kimmy is not entirely wrong. What what are you.
Speaker 2: Guys doing fishing toys out of the garbage disposal and.
Speaker 1: Shaking their tushies and yeah.
Speaker 2: Playing harmonicas who knows?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Joey snarkily responds, I called your mom. You can move back home. Your room's been painted and all the repairs from the earthquake are finished. Actually they were finished yesterday, but somehow she forgot to call. Kimmy sighs. She hates to leave because she feels like part of the family. Now. See, poor Kimmy, she just wants to live in the house. That's all she ever wanted.
Speaker 1: Again, we can deep dive into Kimmy's pathology here, but she just wants to be loved. Yeah, here, everyone's being means to her.
Speaker 2: Yep, Jesse sarcastically remarks, you've only been here two days, but gosh, Joseph, doesn't it seem like a lifetime. Kimmy picks up Michelle and places her on the ground, giving her a little kiss on the head. She tells her it's been a slice.
Speaker 1: What was I'd never heard that. It's been a slice.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that a slice of was, slice of life? A slice of pizza? I had never heard it either.
Speaker 1: That feels I've never heard it. That is, that feels like a like a like a throwback to like old lingo from the writer's room or something, you know what I mean. Yeah, the writers are like, yeah, say it's a slice, and like the kids are like, what the what is he talking about? What are these old people on about? Yeah? Yeah, I'd never heard it. But I will say this was a very cute little moment between Kimy and Michelle. Right, I was taken a back, like rarely does Kimmy uh like show affection. I was like, oh right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never really touched my God, like when I picked her up, I kissed her on.
Speaker 1: The head, kiss on the head. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It might have been my very first scene with her. Yeah, it was. It was strangely out of character, but it also worked like it worked for me and it fits. Yeah, so I it was very pleasantly surprised. So Kimmy tells the guys she's gonna go upstairs and pack, but Jesse immediately grabs her pink Duffel bag, saying, no need, we already packed for you. Michelle runs up to Kimmy, begging her not to go because she'll miss her. She hugs Kimmy's leg, and the crowd awe at the sight, like, what this is a rare moment of affection towards Kimmy.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I was like, oh, everyone's a little traumatized.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I was like, Michelle's needing some people. Kimmy doesn't want to leave, and for a little little messed up. It's only two weeks, and yeah, maybe everyone's a little clinging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when has Michelle ever been connected to kimmynut never Never. It's kind of threw me, but yeah, maybe it's because of the earthquake that Michelle's feeling a little clany, so is feeling Yeah, yeah, Michelle has feelings, Kimmy has feelings. Everyone has feelings except Joey and Jesse in the scene, right, So Kimmy looks to Jesse and exclaims the goofball worships me. She asks Michelle if she should stay one more night, and Joey and Jesse frantically gesture no to Michelle. Michelle doesn't catch on making the no gestures while telling Kimmy yes, So Kimmy declares that she's staying. Michelle kindly offers to take the duffel bag back to her room and drags it out of the kitchen. Steph walks in happily, asking the family what's going on. Kimmy explains that she was about to go home, but everyone begged her to stay one more night. Steph rolls her eyes first the earthquake. Now this, haven't I been through enough? It's still very early in our frontem me ship here, you know, season three, but it's building. I get it.
Speaker 1: Since Oh it's great, yep, there's.
Speaker 2: A lot more to come. Just then DJ glides down the stairs shouting ho ho ho, well dressed as missus Claws. Joey tells DJ that if his belly shook like a bowl of jelly, she'd be his kind of woman. Jesse raises his eyebrows, if your belly shook like a bowl full of jelly, and then gives Joey's stomach a couple of pats. Why about but it's not overweight. No, They've done this joke a couple of times now, and I'm like, no, this it's not. That's not a thing, like let's yeah, let's stop with these types of jokes. But yeah, they're like brothers, they're just in each other.
Speaker 1: But it's also, yeah, it's kind of a guy thing, like you're like, it's not. Yeah, no, it didn't anyway, it didn't totally work for me. But it didn't totally work, yeah, because because yeah, Dave's not No, they just put him in sweaters.
Speaker 2: He just wore terrible sweaters.
Speaker 1: Just wore terrible sweaters. And meanwhile, you know, John's wearing pants that are seven sizes too big. No one says anything to him.
Speaker 2: Why didn't his jeans ever fit? Like they're very lightwash, they're very large.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but skinny jeans wouldn't have worked on him either, you know, I mean, there only wasn't It wasn't there yet.
Speaker 2: They were Yeah, you had a little they were a little baggy.
Speaker 1: They had to make it look like the boots didn't make your people look giant, you know, they had to make it look proportional.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh gosh. So, when asked what she thinks of the costume, Steph decides to tell her it's great and that it matches the red pimple on her nose. DJ doesn't believe her. She runs over to the toaster as she tells everyone, no, she's never had a ZiT, but one glance at her reflection and she realizes it's true. She complains that this can't be happening. Jesse tries to console her, telling her it's a part of life. DJ reminds them that she has to be missus Claws tomorrow in front of the whole school, and Kimmy jokes, you can always switch parts and play Rudolph. Not helpful, Kimmy, but funny. DJ fires back, what are you laughing at? Parakeet legs and runs up the stairs away from everyone. Kimmy, who has no shame, walks over to Jesse and notes, ooh, cranky pimple. I don't know. I think Kimmy kind of deserved that. She kind of deserves it. Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Although I'd say that to my friend too. Yeah, it's joking. Though we have parakeet legs. I did.
Speaker 2: That's true. White legs.
Speaker 1: Soults that have been tossed in this room have not fit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Everyone's just kind of calling out facts as they see him.
Speaker 2: So this is true. That's true, sure, sure. So next we cut to Stephan DJ's room. It's the middle of the night and we hear a low rumbling outside. Steph immediately gets out of bed and runs over to DJ. She shakes her bed, trying to wake her up. She repeatedly asks DJ, do you feel that shaking? DJ wakes up begrudgingly and responds, yes, I feel it, Stop shaking me. Steph turns on the light and tells the girls she thinks they had another little earthquake. Jimmy gets up from her rollaway bed and tells Steph not to be a scaredy cat. She checks the window and points out that her little earthquake is just a garbage truck. Garbage truck is picking up garbage in the middle of the night. Is that weird?
Speaker 1: I thought that too, But then I was like, you know, I don't know how they do it in San Francisco. Maybe it's industrial trash. And also the streets are narrow, old houses, windows rattle. I was trying to think of reasons why that garbage truck would cause such a problem and be out in the middle of the night, and I thought, maybe, you know, I don't know, maybe it's maybe maybe they collect trash at night there, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Or maybe they were just like returning the trucks to the distribution center, like at two in the morning. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we've thought too much about it.
Speaker 2: I've thought way too much about this. So DJ tells Steph to go back to sleep. Steph asks, how can you sleep when there's a garbage truck pretending to be an earthquake. She stomps out of the room, telling the girls she's gonna check on Michelle to make sure she's okay. And I have to say, our BedHead in this scene is very on point. You have curls for days growing out of your head. Ye.
Speaker 1: They literally they just took it out of the style that it was in the first scene, like half up, half down and hair sprayed, and then we're like just let it out like it would normally look. Yeah, it was very hair though. Your hair in this episode looks fabulous.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you. I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I mean, it's better than season two.
Speaker 1: Have AREAIP at the end, I liked it.
Speaker 2: My hair just does my hair still does that. It does like weird curl. It has like cawlyicks all over, not just at the scout but all over.
Speaker 1: But at the Yeah, it really it was. It was very it was cute.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you like it. Let H, I've entered my scrungey era and I've just like the little the little scrunchy on top of my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the errant curls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that looked great.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you?
Speaker 1: Not give me to like it all?
Speaker 2: No, now it's resembling real hair. Finally. It took a season, but we're here now. Kimmy turns to DJ and asks how her ZiT cream worked. She's not so sure, so she decides she better go check. We cut to Michelle's rom where Steph is shaking Michelle's bed, trying to wake her up. Michelle smiles at her and announces good morning. Steph explains, it's not morning. You're having trouble sleeping. Michelle's like, I am.
Speaker 1: Gaslighting. I'm I'm not waking you up. You're having trouble sleeping, right, poor kid.
Speaker 2: Steph nods and tells her little sister to come with her. They'll go sleep in their dad's room. Ah. Michelle crosses her arms and shouts, this is nuts. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Michelle's the Greek chorus, You're not wrong, So nobody's saying wrong things right right? This is yes, this is nuts.
Speaker 2: So Steph grabs her hand and leads her out of the room or forces her out of the room, or like we cut to Danny's room where Danny is snoring fast asleep.
Speaker 1: So everyone in this house sleeps like Dracula in a coffin. You know what I mean. I mean, like no one is to turn on their side and like nestled into the pillow and like, no, everyone is flat on their back, chin's up to their like chin or covered and just like laying there asleep.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's jarring, isn't it because it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't look Yeah, is everyone in this house a vampire?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are they all little? Like what's wrong with them? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's the problem. But yeah, I'm like, I like nobody's yeah I got like the covers thrown off because they're hot. Nobody's got like the body pillow.
Speaker 1: Or yeah's drooling. Yeah I look like a large mouthed bass when I sleep. I don't look cute at all, So I don't Everyone looks really nice for sleeping.
Speaker 2: Very nice. So stephan Michelle tiptoe into the room so they don't wake them up. Michelle remarks daddy sleeps loud, and Steph shushes her and instructs Michelle to get on one side of the bed while she gets on the other. Stephan Michelle say good night to one another, and then Michelle loudly exclaims in Danny's face, good night, Daddy, which wakes him up. Danny turns on a light and asks Michelle why she's awake. Michelle innocently replies, my eyes are open. Steph enthusiastically greets her dad, and he turns to her, saying this has been happening a little too much lately. Stephanie knows that she can't sleep in her dad's room, but Steph tries to convince him that this time it wasn't her fault. She accuses Michelle of waking her up and dragging her in there. Michelle says she did not, and Steph counters did so, and the two go back and forth until Danny stops them. He tells them as a slumber party, so everybody needs to go to bed. He gives them both a kiss and turns out the light. Michelle tells her dad no more snoring, and Danny insists he does not snore. The two go back and forth, and Danny gets the last word before telling her it's time to go to bed. As they all snuggle in for bed, and Danny says do not, and steph answers, this time, do too. That's a that felt like an ad lib. I don't know if that was a scripted or if that was a little ad lib by you.
Speaker 1: It was, it was probably scripted, but again, like Bob and I just had such a funnyle relationship that it just was, you.
Speaker 2: Know, supernatural. Yeah, just to tease him a little bit at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I have to say, like when Danny was like, this is happening a little too much, I was like, didn't you just have a pretty traumatic earthquake like two weeks ago? Are you that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sort of dense Danny that you don't think that maybe she might. I don't know. It just seemed like for a parent who's usually pretty aware of his kids like to not kind of make that connection or to be like you can't do that. I don't know, it just seemed a little like insensitive.
Speaker 2: Maybe I think, yeah, I think, well, I think that's I mean, I get it had to set up for has to set up Danny for not knowing why stuff is being the way she is. Danny's not connecting this behavior to the earthquake. I think Danny's over the earthquake and so it's not connected.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, not to again bring up the mom thing, but kids only a few years out from losing mom. I'm like the fact that she's not in Danny's room sleeping on floor every night, I mean, is surprising. So it was. I guess for me, I was a little bit like, I don't know. I feel like as a as a parent, you would that wouldn't be you wouldn't be like, wow, this is so weird. Yeah, though, I guess, you know, again it's that she's not doing it, But I just feel like that would have probably been happening more often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree, I would. I think as moms, as moms in our forties especially, we were more attuned to our kids and why they're baby they are.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's also yeah, it's sort of like we I think maybe a mom thing and it's kind of part of the storyline, right, Danny is like, nothing's wrong I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it makes exactly it's it's setting up the later the later parts of the episode. So next in the kitchen the following morning, Kimmi tells DJ to hurry up or she's going to miss the bus. DJ walks down the stairs with her hair covering the entirety of her face. She puts sunglasses on over the hair as well to make it looks like she has eyes.
Speaker 1: She looks like cousin it. She totally looks like cause.
Speaker 2: And she had the hair to do that.
Speaker 1: Man, that was right.
Speaker 2: But not a wig. That was all okay.
Speaker 1: If I tried to do that, it would just be bangs, like it would just be like hey, yeah, No.
Speaker 2: She had enough hair to cover most of her body too. It was fantastic. So DJ asks Kimmy where she is, and Kimmy tells her to follow the sound of her voice. DJ slowly stumbles around the kitchen and Joey stops her. Hold it, Benji, Benji.
Speaker 1: For those of you who don't know, a little side story, it was a movie about a straight dog named Benji. And there was a whole series of movies and let me tell you, I used to cry every time I watch Benji. I can still remember it to this day.
Speaker 2: I yep, loved those movies. Well yeah, any movies with dogs like.
Speaker 1: Street Dog Benji, Oh my god, yeah, I love that stupid dog. Anyway.
Speaker 2: He lifts up her hair to assess the damage and assures her that the pimple is not that bad. DJ fixes her hair and says she cannot be missus Claws like this. She's six hundred and twelve years old. Her face would have cleared up by now. Jesse tries to solve the problem by putting a band aid over the pimple, and DJ asks why missus Claws would wear a band aid. Jesse jokes, just say that Jack Frost was nipping at your nose, and he breaks into hysterics. Kim me and Kimmy emotionally less responds, oh, oh, djationally less, that was Is that what I said? You say emotionally less?
Speaker 1: No, I like emotionally I did say emotionally less.
Speaker 2: Emotionally less, I say emotionally like right, emotionless? Oh it's supposed to be emotionless, Lee.
Speaker 1: There and.
Speaker 2: Less. I just invented a whole new word. Uh so, DJ sighs and puts her hair back over her face, telling Kimmy to lead her to the bus. I remember the storyline, but I don't remember it being part of this earthquake episode.
Speaker 1: And yeah I didn't either.
Speaker 2: I was like, I was kind of shocked. I was like, I kind of wish they had not done these two storylines together because the seriousness of the earthquake storyline compared or juxtaposed with this storyline, it's kind of giving. There's people dying, kim you know, like it's like, come on, there's people that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But also, uh, anything maybe would have been sort of when when compared to Steph going to therapy and the earthquake and all that, anything would have you couldn't really have two sort of heavy storylines, so one of them had to kind of be a fluff you know, yeah, sort of superfluous thing. I was just more surprised than it was Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they mentioned anyway, Christmas. This is the one time they mentioned Christmas is the Missus Claus costume.
Speaker 1: But it was more so the fact that this family decorate. It's for every freaking holiday. Yeah, Like it's like they're owned by the Disney Corporation. Okay, this family as a rental space for trees and thing and not a there was two little wreaths that was actually that was my Everywhere.
Speaker 2: You look, oh yeah, there's nary naria Christmas tree sign.
Speaker 1: Not a stocking hung by the chimney with care in hopes that Saint Nicholas soon will beat here. Nothing.
Speaker 2: No, no chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
Speaker 1: No, no sugar plums dancing in their heads.
Speaker 2: None that this is This is a fail. Danny has failed in this episode multiple ways. Wow, by not decorating for Christmas.
Speaker 1: First the earthquake. Now no Christmas. I mean, although I guess if you were again, that would be weird. You're like the Christmas tree and an earthquake, like you can't so you cried. I got it.
Speaker 2: So they haven't decorated yet because they're still repairing the cracks from the earthquake.
Speaker 1: That's the well the storage facility was heavily damaged all of their current decorations. They're just gonna have to replace him with all of the money that they have for their decorating budget.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad we figured this out.
Speaker 1: Me too, This is critical.
Speaker 2: Danny and Steph walk into the kitchen and stuff announces that she and Danny are having the best morning. Danny agrees, so Steph offers, let's keep the fun going. I'll go to work with you. Danny shuts this idea down, reminding stuff that she has to go to school. Stephanie tries to butter him up, calling him the smartest person in the whole world. Danny takes this compliment, but he tells her that there must be someone smarter than him. Maybe in Japan. Joey and Jesse give him a sarcastick no. In Unison. Danny promises Steph that they will have fun together when he gets home. Steph nods and gives him a big hug, saying that she can't wait. And I noticed that Danny's drinking out of a blue mug, which is the exact same color as the couch and the curtains.
Speaker 1: Like they have this well, the plates and the plates I too. The place mats are.
Speaker 2: Blue plaid, and his comforter in his room is blue plaid. Blue plaid. This was I mean.
Speaker 1: Talking about well, it's sort of blue Gingham.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they went they went hard on this blue plaid theme.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So before walking away to get her things, she offers Danny to come to school with her, pointing out that it's Macaroni's Surprise day after Steff's gone. Joey points out that she's been really clingy to Danny lately. He asks what's going on with her. Danny insists that nothing's going on with her. He asks, what's wrong with a daughter adoring her father?
Speaker 1: You heard her, he.
Speaker 2: Says, she thinks I'm the smartest, most handsome dad in the universe. Jesse furrows his brow, telling him she never said anything about handsome, and Danny smirks, telling them it goes without saying.
Speaker 1: You know, I have to say that it is. It's kind of funny because we do this is something that we've seen happen with Danny a couple of times where like something's wrong or like with the Michelle thing where he was giving her and you know, letting her do stuff or whatever it was. I forget and Jess and joe were like, you can't. You know, it's interesting that we kind of pick up on Danny's blind spots as a parent, which we all have as parents, of those things that were like no, no, no, no, that's fine, But I like when they do that. But it's yeah, it's it's kind of a consistant thing where, you know, Danny, I think also he enjoys the the snugliness and the cuddling of his kids, and you know that's something that most parents enjoy. And so when their kid, you know, is giving them that attention, they're like, no, they're fine, they just want some extra snuggles. But yeah, it's just an interesting sort of thing that has recurred a couple times with Danny, where he doesn't quite always see the big picture.
Speaker 2: Well, it makes him more of a real character. It's like, yeah, exactly this. We don't want to see him be the per perfect dad, even though he is like America's dad. It's good to see the flaws too, and that Danny needs help. He really does need help from these two knuckleheads that live with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So a little while later, in the living room, Steph peeks out the front door, looking around frantically. She yells Uncle Jesse, Joey, where's daddy. Jesse shrugs, telling her he's probably just stuck in traffic. She nervously reminds them that they don't know that for sure. Joey grabs her hand and tells her that while they wait for Danny, they can watch The Wizard of Oz. Jesse chimes in, saying, yeah, you love those munchkins. Joey bends down and begins to sing the Lollipop Guild while doing a munchkin impression, but Steph is unenthusiastic. Just then, Danny walks in, and Steph immediately runs up to him, telling him how much she missed him. As he picks her up and gives her a big hug, Danny tells her he was stuck in traffic. He tries to set Stephanie down, but she won't let go of him. Rasiastically tells him that they should play pickup sticks. Danny admits that he'd love to, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. He tries to set her down again, but she won't let go. Danny explains that he has dinner plans tonight, and finally Steph releases him. She offers to go with him to dinner, asking what dress she should wear. He tells her it's a business dinner for grown ups only, so she can't come. Steph chases after him, screaming, Daddy, you can't go. Joey and Jesse try to calm her down, reminding her that they'll be home and they can play with her, but Stephanie screams, no, I want my daddy. She holds onto Danny tightly, begging him not to leave her. Danny bends down and hugs Steph. He tells her he won't go, assuring her that everything will be all right. The scene step this scene like you and Bob, just to hit all of the right emotional notes. I can feel your panic, like, I can feel your clinginess, like it's really felt desperate. It's not just some kids wanting to hang out with dad. No, You're like there's trauma. There's trauma here, and I could see it in your performance. It was very very well done.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We cut to an emotional commercial break, and when we come.
Speaker 1: Back, we are in unemotionally less emotionally less.
Speaker 2: New word. We're in Danny's room. Steph, Michelle, and Danny are playing together when Stuph proudly declares that she wins again. She's holding a long chain of monkeys while telling them playing a barrel of monkeys is more fun than playing with a barrel of Oh I bet that's where they got the name. Michelle shouts my turn, and Danny begins to tell her how to play. He explains that the first thing you do is shake it up. Michelle stands and starts shaking her booty again. Danny hands are the barrel and jokes, well, as long as you're shaking, hold this. Then they tell Michelle to dump the monkeys on the floor. Steph explains that now she has to try to pick all the monkeys up. Michelle gives her thumbs up, got it, dude. She picks the monkeys up, places them all in her lap and admits that this is a very easy game.
Speaker 1: I mean, there was no specifics given. She did well, she was told she was like take them all up? Great? Done?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure. Steph complains to her dad that Michelle is turning the barrel of monkeys into a very silly game. Danny uses his opportunity to pull Stephanie aside for a conversation just the two of them. They sit on his bed and Steph starts off with a joke, how do you know an elephant has been in your refrigerator by the footprints and the butter? And you do a lovely fake laugh here right, very philistilla of man. Danny tells a joke next, What's Purple and lives in the Ocean Moby Grape. Danny laughs, but Steph doesn't get it. Danny turns to still.
Speaker 1: Feel that way, Kennedy.
Speaker 2: I know he's he's referring to think it's movie dick, But why great? I don't I don't know. I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: I think I don't think it. I mean, I don't think it was supposed to be funny.
Speaker 2: Oh well, then the joke, the joke works. The joke didn't work, and work didn't work, and as it was supposed to. So. Danny turns to Steph and asks, how come you were so upset when I told you I was going out to dinner. She says it's simply because she wants to be with him. Danny's noticed that lately she's been clinging to his side all the time, and he wants to know what's bothering her so he can make her feel better. Steph responds in a chiper tone, I feel fine. Danny tells her.
Speaker 1: Everything's great. I'm fine, Everything's fine, Okay, I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Danny says, well, then I guess you won't be sleeping in my room anymore. She pauses before asking if he's mad at her. Danny starts to get frustrated as he tells Steph he's not mad at her, he just needs to know what's bothering her. Steph gets upset as her voice raises, nothing is bothering me. She brushes this conversation aside, asking her dad to play Barrel of Monkeys again. Steph walks over to Michelle, who says the monkeys are sleeping. Steph leans down to the barrel and says good night to the monkeys. Well, Danny watches Stephanie with a worry. Ooh, there's definitely something going on, and Danny is finally catching on.
Speaker 1: Is it? So? I had this moment when we were watching them play Barrel of Monkeys and he's like, oh, you have to first, you have to shake it. And I, for a brief split second, thought maybe they would turn that into something where Steph would about shaking.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, yeah, I didn't make.
Speaker 1: That that would be, but I guess that would have been a little too on the nose, and then Danny kind would have figured it out. We wanted to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's okay, Yeah, no, that was I didn't think about that reconnection, Oh, thinking, is this going to be the trigger for Stephanie? But it ends up being just the barrel of monkeys. That's it. So next in the kitchen, Jesse is tending to a large pot and walks away for a moment. Joey swoops in to have a taste and exclaims this soup has no taste. Jesse gives him a blank stare before telling him he's boiling water. Joey takes another sip and admits, in that case, it's delicious. DJ walks into the kitchen with a smile. Her hair is no longer covering her face. When asked how the play was, she admits it was fun, but the great news is everybody has zits. She tells the story about how she went into the bathroom to see if she could still stop traffic with her nose, and there were ten other girls checking out their zits too. She asked the girls, Hey, anyone want to play Connect the dots, and DJ recounts how it made all of the girls laugh. DJ realizes that having zits isn't such a big deal, just as long as their faces don't clear up before hers. She leaves and Jesse has a smug grin on his face. He proudly says Joey, we did it again, and Joey reminds him that they didn't do anything very true.
Speaker 1: I was, I was. That was a pretty quick resolution to that storyline. But again, it was kind of the focus had to be on and I think really DJ was just the device for driving home that it was Christmas time.
Speaker 2: That might have been the sole purpose.
Speaker 1: That was literally they were like, are we gonna I don't know if missus claus costume, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I wish they had saved it for a different episode, because ye, to a teenager having your first as it is is a ba's very embarrassing. But it was just sort of trivialized in the context of this.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like I would know of any middle schoolers that would be like joking about their zits together and maybe maybe now, but especially not back then.
Speaker 2: It was not in junior. I know that was nobody.
Speaker 1: Now as an adult, yeah, I mean, as an adult, I have one joining us for the podcast, our third co host.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, we can joke about it now, But in seventh grade that is oh my god, no, yeah, no way. So Danny walks in. He tells the guys that Stephanie won't tell him what's wrong with her, and he's tried everything to get through to her. Joey insists that he not be so hard on himself, but Danny tells them he has a trophy in his bedroom that says World's Greatest Dad, and he'd like to deserve it. Jesse reminds him that not every dad knows every answer to every problem, and Joey offers the idea that maybe they need some help with this. Danny asks, what do you mean, like take her to a therapist or something, and Joey shrugs, yeah, why not. Danny gets up from the table, assuring him that it's not that serious. Joey tries to reason with him, but Danny cuts him off. She has these times where she needs me, and then we spend some time together and then things are calm again. Jesse chimes in, after what happened today? Whatever Stephanie's problem is, it's not going away. It's getting worse. Danny asks, what do you want me to do? Take Stephanie to some stranger and admit that I can't handle my kids problems. Jesse responds, No, I want you to say that you love Stephanie so much that you would do anything to help her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I liked that this was a struggle because in a house with three dads and three men, not to you know, generalize, but I do think they probably would have been a little bit less emotionally connected or in tune. And particularly I think a lot of you know, therapy is seen as like something's you know wrong, like there you need to be fixed. And that was kind of need to be fixed, the mentality that Danny had and I and you know, watching it now, you're like, oh my god, why would you think that way? Like that's not but it was. But it's so important because that is how so many people view it. And yeah, I just I really liked that, you know, they showed Danny kind of have this transformation and that he was like, well, nothing's wrong, We're fine. You know, I can do this a little bit of insight into you know, sometimes why parents are a little bit resistant. It's not that they don't want their kid to get help, it's that they want to they're the parent, they I should be the one that solves all of this.
Speaker 2: And yeah, a lot of people think they know their kids better than any any professional out there. And yeah, this is such an important conversation and I love that it comes from Jesse and Joey right too, who were like, they're kind of the knuckleheads and don't.
Speaker 1: Diaper baby soup water, you know what I mean? I mean, And now he's like, you should take her to therapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 2: It showed two very different viewpoints about hey, it's okay to it's okay to ask for some help. And then there's Danny who's just like, no, no, I don't want to admit failure, but he's not a failure. There's some things that he can't solve and this is one of them, and so he needs some outside help.
Speaker 1: This is also giving me great encouragement that maybe Jesse will go to therapy someday, because obviously not.
Speaker 2: Opposed to it.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's the door, it's I have some hope.
Speaker 2: It's getting better. Yes, it's getting better. So Danny sighs he's gonna call her pediatrician and see who he recommends. Joey tells him he's a great dad, and Danny acknowledges that they make pretty great dads too. I love this part too, about because a lot of people are like, well, how do I find a therapist. It's not like you just open up a phone book, you know, call her pediatrician like that. That's how I found my therapy. Off to your pediatrician, but through my obig yn.
Speaker 1: That's the point.
Speaker 2: That's how the therapist I still see now fifteen years later is you know, that's a great, great place to start, and so I'm glad they threw that in there. Jesse gets into dad mode, telling Danny to go make his phone call, clean up for dinner, and wash under those nails. Danny nods yes, sir and begins to walk off. Joey gets in on the act and son, he signals for Danny to come back. I know about those magazines under your bed. Okay, but yeah, other than this weird off color joke at the end, was a really great so ending.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but now to the therapist's office, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, so now the best scene in my opinion, we're in the therapist's office. Stephan Danny walk into a children's therapy room filled with bright colors and games. Another mom and little girl are there, getting ready to leave. Steph greets the young girl and asks how it is there. The girl admits that it's pretty fun and the best part is you get to miss school. The therapist walks back into the room and introduces herself as Marion Steiner. Danny introduces himself and Stephanie. Marian tells Stephanie that they're going to have a great time. She has all kinds of toys. Steph asks if she has the Nintendo Game Boy with Super Mario.
Speaker 1: Others Classic and this is not color Super Mario Brothers. Guys. This was This was a greenish gray sort of screen with little pixels and and it was the top of the line. It was the newest, coolest thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was the bomb, right, This was advanced technology.
Speaker 1: And yeah, basically was like like a Tamagotchi in a bigger case, you know what I mean. Like that was the extent of it. It was just.
Speaker 2: So cool. Yep, yep, I love it. Marian admits that she does not have a Super Mario Brothers, but she'll add it to her shopping list. She then asks Stephanie to draw a picture of her family. Steph says she's in luck because family and birds are her two best things. Marian points out to Danny that he has a very verbal daughter. Danny laughs, telling the doctor where they got there, He goes on and on and on art imitates life right now. Huh uh. So Danny goes on and on about how much she likes to babble, concluding that he has no idea where she gets it from. Marian gives a small laugh and asks Danny to sit down. He tells her you probably haven't noticed, but I'm a little nervous, and he dabs his sweaty head with a handkerchief. Marian nods, I noticed. Danny explains, this is the first time Stephanie hasn't been able to tell me what's bothering her. Marian tells him that steph may not even be aware herself. We don't always know why we do the things we do. Sot on observation. Oh my, even it doesn't matter if years older, you're forty eight. Yeah, you just sometimes you don't know why you're acting the way you act. Danny is cleaning off the therapist's table with the handkerchief as she says this, so she uses it as an example. For instance, do you know why you're dusting my table. Danny lets out a nervous laugh, telling her he loves to dust. Then he asks her if something's wrong with that, and she questions.
Speaker 1: Question, though, wasn't Wasn't he just n he's having his sweaty brow with this and now he's wipe it all over her table. That's disgusting, Okay, And again, I mean, I guess he must be nervous, because that feels like something Danny would never do. Is be like sweat sweat, sweat table table, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Danny would have a backup handkerchief and.
Speaker 1: Candkerchief. And then that that's that's too separate. I'm sure he's got a cleaning one in one pocket and then a dad in the other.
Speaker 2: He's just so nervous, and really that is handif that.
Speaker 1: Just tells uh, you know, rattled Danny is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very rattled. So Danny tells her that when he was growing up, all the other kids wanted to be astronauts or fireman, and he wanted to be a maid. We quickly cut to Stephanie, who exclaims that she's done coloring. She's just glossying over that maid comment.
Speaker 1: Apparently, well, Danny, Danny will get to his therapy later. But there's a lot to unpack there.
Speaker 2: Yet, I hope. So, yeah, there is so much to impact there. So maryann it myers Stephanie's artwork. She asks steph to explain who all the people are in her drawing. Stuff begins to point to each person, explaining who they are, and she adds little traits about each member of the family, like Joey's pop Eye impressions and Jesse's love for Elvis.
Speaker 1: So one thing I learned is I should never do a Popeye impression. Oh yeah, you did. It was cute.
Speaker 2: It was cute.
Speaker 1: I looked like I was having some sort of a medical emergency.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wasn't gonna say anything because you're so old.
Speaker 1: I wrote it down literally, was like, what's happening to my face? Yeah, I said, I look like and having it a medical problem.
Speaker 2: You contorting your mouth into a shape I've never seen. I see you're a flipper like you had a couple of flippers in there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is just so bad, so bad. What is this? Oh God, God's happening.
Speaker 2: I still don't know how to do it. Okay, let's gloss over that. So when stuff and he gets to DJ. Marian questions what the red dot is on that drawing. Steph explains, that's her news.
Speaker 1: It like a pet.
Speaker 2: Marian points to a squiggly line that Steph drew on the house and asks what it is. Steph tells her it's a crack in the wall from the earthquake, and Marian asks who is the man standing outside of the house. Steph says, that's my daddy. The therapist asks why isn't he inside with the rest of the family. Steph tells her it's because he was late the day of the earthquake. They didn't know where he was for three hours and it made her feel terrible. Stephanie walks over to Danny, recalling that she didn't know where he was or what happened. He should have been with her. She was so scared she'd never see him again. Marian inquires, so you were scared after the earthquake because you didn't know where your daddy was. Steph nods, and Marian continues, so do you think the reason you want to be with your daddy all the time is so you'll always know where he is. Steph responds, yeah, what if there's another earthquake. She tries not to think about another earthquake happening, but people are always talking about it, and it's on TV, and there are all those garbage trucks that feel like little earthquakes. Marian explains that when it comes to earthquakes, the best thing we can do is be prepared, and Danny assures his daughter that they are prepared. They have their water, their food, batteries and everything else that they talked about. Stephanie knows this, but she still worries about her dad. Marian has an idea. She tells Steph to write a list of things she can do so she won't worry when her dad is away. For example, her dad can call her when he knows he's going to be late. Stephanie likes that idea, she asks Marian, what else you got. Marian suggests that if Steph is still scared, she can spend a few more nights in her dad's room, but in a sleeping bag on the floor. Steph nods in agreement. Then she asks the most important question, what can we do about those garbage trucks? What a racket? Danny smiles, telling stuff he'll call their counselmen in the morning. Oh, Jodie, you're so good in this scene. Like I have to remind myself that you're only like seven or eight in this episode and thank you just have so much depth to you as a person.
Speaker 1: See, I was so critical of myself like watching it. Yeah, oh no, I mean I was like, oh, that's cute to get, you know, but I guess for like, I don't know. I was just was like, oh, I could have done more. I could have done this, but you know I was seven again.
Speaker 2: Well I thought I thought it was brilliant. And I'm not just saying that because because you're hearing.
Speaker 1: But I will say I liked that that the way it came about was sort of, you know, asking these questions to draw stuff out. It wasn't you know, And that you find that kids will tell you things indirectly about what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that too. The therapist didn't tell her, oh, this is what's wrong with you. She really lets Stephanie come to that conclusion on her own. But yeah, just such heavy stuff you had to deal with in this episode. And I wondered if, as a child actor, how you tap into those emotions because you haven't lived a whole lot of life yet, and so where were you directed this way or did Janice go.
Speaker 1: Into it with you or did you My mom definitely went through it with me. I mean, you know, running lines in the car and stuff, and but no, I think it was you know, earthquakes were scary and it was I. I don't I think tapping into that was pretty normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know it was. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I think it was just kind of something that I was like, yeah, I can see why this would be scary.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I I as when I was on days of our lives, I had to do a lot of emotional scenes because I was always right, My father was always dying or getting.
Speaker 1: Brain getting right, father was always dying, father.
Speaker 2: Coming back as a different character. So I had all these emotional scenes and I was trying to remember how did I do that? Because yeah, it at six or seven, you don't have those life experiences. But I think I was. I think we're empathetic people, and so we can place ourselves in that position of like a child traumatized by an earthquake and right possibly.
Speaker 1: Losing another thing sad, something scary, and you're like, yeah, that's scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I think that's how I think that's how we did it as children. I don't know, maybe I'm living it up, but that's.
Speaker 1: How it really was, you know, just sort of like tapping into what that would really feel like. I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very very relatable and I'm sure that helped a lot of kids for sure.
Speaker 1: And I love that Steph like, you know, again, she goes to therapy and she does all this stuff, but like she still has her little Steph spunk to her, you know what I mean. And I appreciate that. You know, you see her going Okay, solution, solution, I like this, and okay, the gardens strucks, why do we do it? You know, like, but very Steph like you know that she's willing to take the action. And yeah, I just what a great kid.
Speaker 2: Like I just love I love Stephanie so much, Like she just rocks.
Speaker 1: And she was a she was a pretty rare little character and really was. Yeah. I loved that we got to tell this story though, about how important therapy and working through trauma and all that kind of stuff is.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, oh yeah, it was. It was very good. Uh So the last scene we're in stephan DJ's room. The whole family is gathered around stuph to tuck her into bed. Danny reminds her that there's a sleeping bag in his room if she wants it. She asks if he still snores, and Danny says yes. She decides she'll stay in her own room. Then Jesse tells Steph that if she needs anything, he's right across the hall, and Joey tells her that he's downstairs, but he can be upstairs like that. Steph tells all of them that if they need her, she'll be right there. Danny gives her a kiss on the head and tells her how great she's doing. They all say good night to the girls and walk out. DJ says good night to her little sister and gets into bed. Steph asks for a favor. She needs DJ to untuck her a little because she can't move again, you're the vampire.
Speaker 1: Well maybe that's what it is. Maybe they're all like, they're all tucking each other in so tight that they can't sleep.
Speaker 2: These Tanners, Like what is happening?
Speaker 1: It's strange.
Speaker 2: They're over time.
Speaker 1: The weirdest part is who's tucking day? You know what I mean? Like because he obviously sleeping the same way. So yeah, it's they're all just tucked in, snug as a bug.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. So DJ smiles as she gets out of bed to help. She untucks Stephanie and then kisses her on the cheek before saying goodnight. And that is our show. Wow. Then what an episode? Oh one of my top five. I mean, I like say this every season, but yeah, this has gotta be up there with the top five. It's just it's so well done, and especially for nineteen eighty nine, when therapy was not considered nearly as much as it is now. Yeah, I just thought that they hit all of the right notes, the beats, the points that they wanted to get, the message they wanted to get across, and I thought it was outstanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And in you know, a twenty two minute sitcom episode, we managed to address a pretty big, real issue and and you know, really talk to people about how to get help. I wonder if at the end of the episode it had one of those like if you your kidneys, help, call the National Mental Health hot Line, or if there even was one in nineteen eighty nine, But I wonder, you know, sure, I wonder if that.
Speaker 2: Was we did those at the end of like the abuse storyline that's to come right there were Yeah, they would put the hot line up there, and yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Just wonder, I mean, I wonder if that was I mean a mental health hotline in nineteen eighty nine. I'm sure it was one, but but yeah, I just wonder. That was like at the end of the you know, very special episode.
Speaker 2: Of I Bet You're right. I Bet You're right. But no, it was an important conversation to have. Jeff did this brilliantly.
Speaker 1: We did such a great job with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did such a great job with this and some very important news we are going to hear from Jeff later this week. We interviewed him about this very episode to give us a behind the scenes look about what it was like writing this script in nineteen eighty nine, right after a major earthquake happened for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's really interesting. There's some really great insight in our interview with Jeff. It's so a great companion piece to watching this episode. And yeah, I learned a lot I did too, sort of the creation of the episode. Now, it was great and again, you know, our for being a fun family sitcom and you know something that you know, the critics thought was just sort of silly most of the time, and it was most of the time it was fun and silly. We did we did make an impact and we did, you know, talk about things that were important to families and kids and parents, and yeah, I'm really proud of that.
Speaker 2: I'm really proud too. And it's it's okay to not have all the answers too, Like I like that they showed Danny and his emotional journey through this as well, that you just you don't have to know, you don't have to be a parenting expert. You're not gonna have all the answers, so it's okay, Well it we go find someone who does.
Speaker 1: There was something in the episode for parents and kids, you know what I mean. The parents were going to walk away taking something entirely different from the show than maybe the key kids were, Yeah, about kind of who they related to. So yeah, I love that. That was a It was a great episode.
Speaker 2: It was good. My only critique and I'm going to change my mind live here on the podcast. Oh. I was initially disappointed that they didn't include a mention of Pam and how Stephanie lost her parents when Pam never came home, and then that triggered this emotional trauma to Danny not coming home. But you'll see when during our interview with Jeff, he touches on that and explains why that they didn't incat Pam. So I'm rescinding that critique and I'm glad that they wrote it exactly the way.
Speaker 1: They I mean, there's only so much trauma you can get into in that short sitcom episode so twenty two, And besides, we don't really ever talk about Pam anyway, we don't bring her up. It's not that important.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, I M sorry. I have to make jokes because we've been talking about a serious topic and I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't do You're overdue for an inappropriate joke.
Speaker 1: I will say this show, too, had a really good balance of like jokes and it wasn't overly silly or like really funny funny, you know what I mean. It was like, there were cute little moments, but it was I thought the tone was really good. They managed to like be respectful of what the show was addressing too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if Jesse had brought in his band and done a live concert at midnight that would have thrown off the antul the entire emotional tone.
Speaker 1: Right right, that's what what picked stuff up. And she's like, is there a you know, is there an earthquake? No, it's just Uncle Jesse and the retail rippers, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you need all that that was left on the cutting zone floor.
Speaker 1: Thank god, Yeah, we didn't go down that route. Well, thank you everybody for joining us for another episode of how Rude Tanrito Is. We love getting to talk about all this stuff with you and this was again a very special episode of full House. But thanks for joining us. And if you want to follow us on Instagram, make sure you check out at how Rude Podcast. You can also send us an email at how redpodcast at gmail dot com. We love to hear your questions, your suggestions, I don't know, whatever, whatever thoughts you got, go go ahead and send them to us. And also make sure that you are subscribing to the podcast wherever you're listening to it so that you can get all the newest episodes as soon as they are released, so that you can hear, uh, you know, our minisode coming up with Jeff later in the week. I don't want to miss this.
Speaker 2: I don't want to miss it.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss it. It's great. But thank you guys so much. We love you. Fan Rito's Remember the world is small.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you had a great one for the miniso.
Speaker 1: You might not left. I had a great one for the miniso. But then I but I, but I, but I had a good one, and like.
Speaker 2: Left, you need to break in it.
Speaker 1: It's all right, I do well. Yeah, but when I change it up every time in the break, I get a good one. And then I got to start writing it down.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the world is small.
Speaker 1: The world is the world is small, and hopefully so were the Aftershop.
Speaker 2: Yes, good one good, Save good, Save Jody Sween. There we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, see even tied in the of the episode.
Speaker 2: And I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah,