Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It's Friday. We made it to Friday, and we made it to August. It's August first.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ. Holmes, and hold on to your horses on this one, folks. We don't know how this one's gonna go. What's your RA score this morning? I just sleep last night.
Speaker 1: Well, sixty nine.
Speaker 2: It was your or ring score. So that's if you were in school, that would be a D.
Speaker 1: Or an F. But yes, at least a D four hours and fifty two minutes of total sleep. How about you, babe?
Speaker 2: I had a sixty one was my sleep score. But I thrive on this time. I've been I don't know if I'm just loopy or what, but I'm a little I.
Speaker 1: Feel great to yes, that's awesome. I don't but the music has helped. We've been jamming all morning.
Speaker 2: The last song we listened to before we started this was Donna Summer Last Dance. So that is where you are getting us right now. But I hope you all are doing well this morning. We saw it last night. Robes the first FIR interview that Kamala Harris has done since the election. She did it last night. Did you find any irony about where she happened to do it?
Speaker 1: I think it was a deliberate choice and applauded, I'm sure by her many fans. She was on the Laid Show with Stephen Colbert. Makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Peace all that together. We'll tell you what she had to say last night. And folks, we told you about the arrest, of course in the Arkansas hiker murders, but Robes the details we're getting now, many people speculate and said, probably the last thing those parents did was try to protect their kids as they were being attacked. But we're getting the details about the mom now and what she did. I think every parent and probably every mom, when they hear that go yep, that sounds about right.
Speaker 1: Chills from head to toe. And you know what, not just about being a mom, a good mom, but also about being a good wife.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're getting some new details there and we'll bring those to you this morning. With that story really is really the story of the morning. Certainly an awful story, but man, there was something about the love of a mother and a parent like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, hell, I'm flooded with emotion reading it, and it is just oh, it just makes you want to hug your kids and hug the people you love. Also on the run this morning, a shocking revelation yesterday in Texas the three people who were in charge of emergency response in Kurrk County were all out of pocket during the deadly flooding fourth of July weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh so, this morning, President Trump tweaks his teriffs and changes the deadline for implementing them. The markets were not impressed.
Speaker 1: Plus, Florida is having a record year in executions, so many that the state may overtake Texas.
Speaker 2: Also, the White House was about to be a construction zone. President Trump is about to make a major change that he has wanted for years.
Speaker 1: And Justin Timberlake says he considered canceling his tour because of the pain he was in and then was shocked when doctor told him what was actually wrong with him. And he is sharing that news with all of us. We'll get into that in just a bit, but we begin our run on this Friday morning. In Arkansas, police say the man arrested for killing the couple that was hiking with their two young children, has admitted to the crime. They also released new details about the deaths, including how the parents fought to protect their children.
Speaker 2: Andrew James McGann, twenty eight years old. He was arrested Wednesday after that five day manhunt. At a press conference yesterday, authority said he indicated to them that he committed the murders. In the words of the state police spokesperson, I would call it an admission.
Speaker 1: He is facing two counts of capital murder in the deaths of Clinton and Kristen Brink, who were attacked while on a Haikud Devil's Den State Park Saturday with their two young children. Police say the parents were both stabbed. McGann, according to police, attacked Clinton Brink first, and as that attack was happening, Kristin ushered her children to safety before then returning back to help her husband. She was then killed as well.
Speaker 2: You know, we a lot of folks speculated and just wondered what happened there. I don't think this was a scenario I considered when you think about how the attack might have happened, But to think she because we wondered how did the kids have the wherewithal to go? Find someone or go find the visitor center. She got them on their way and got them to safety and went back.
Speaker 1: To go help her husband.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Other new details though, we heard, folks. Police do say they found DNA at the scene and it does match mcgans Also, they say one of the witnesses told them that a man left the trail with what appeared to be blood on his face, and that man got into a car. That car was traced to Springdale and that's how they ended up finding the suspect arresting him at a barber shop. Police said they still don't have a mode of no indication of any connection of any kind between the suspect and the victims. This appeared to be a totally random act and McGann has no criminal history, had just moved to the area for a new teaching gig, had passed several background checks in school districts in Texas, Oklahoma, and now Arkansas.
Speaker 1: Makes a teacher no sense at all, And I'm sure more details will continue to emerge, but yes, that question to why has not been answered. Next up on the Run, Kamala Harris said she is taking a break from politics in her first post election interview, Harris told the Late Show Stephen Colbert that the American political system is broken, and when asked if the reason she isn't running for California governor was because she's going to run for a different, perhaps higher office, she said no.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, she said no.
Speaker 1: She said no. She said no, but added that for now phrase no for now?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so again she said it this way, for now. I don't want to go back in the system. I want to travel the country. I want to listen to people. I want to talk with people, and I don't want it to be transactional where I'm asking for their vote. You buy that?
Speaker 1: No, No, do you really want to go around the country listening to people and talk to people with no agenda? Of course, your agenda is to potentially seek another office.
Speaker 2: Well, she's trying to figure out how she can best contribute. So she's going on a bit of a listening tour, if you will, And maybe she comes out of that and figure she wants to start a nonprofit.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's possible.
Speaker 2: She also says she and her husband tuned out the news for months after she left office, with you there, Sister, saying she was just not into self mutilation.
Speaker 1: That's why we don't google ourselves.
Speaker 2: With you there too, Sis Haris said. Instead she watched cooking shows.
Speaker 1: We chose Below Deck and ninety Day Fiance, but we get you.
Speaker 2: I did get an Omega Markles show there for a little while, all right.
Speaker 1: The former Vice president has also been busy writing her upcoming memoir. It's called one hundred and seven Days. The title gives away the plot. Harris said. The book will discuss how in tenths and short her campaign was after President Biden abruptly stepped down as the Democratic nominee last summer. News of her memoir was released hours before her appearance on the Colbert Shore. So all well timed.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll continue on the run here now with President Trump. He made a few tariff tweaks. Yesterday signed an executive order which adjusted previously announced tariffs on sixty eight countries and the European Union.
Speaker 1: Remember those Liberation Day tariffs announced back in April. They were supposed to go into effect today August first. However, with yesterday's executive order, those Liberation Day tariffs have been adjusted. Wow, how many tariffs have been adjusted to all of them? And then readjusted and then adjusted again. Well, a lot of these adjustments have had those tariffs go down, and that new rate will now take effect on August seventh.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it'll see throws more uncertainty and move the date back, and the markets reacted and the futures have been down this morning at least. But certainty. We just need certainty, So let's threw things back up in the air.
Speaker 1: I mean what you say, say what you mean?
Speaker 2: That's funny. Next up on the run here now we're going to head down to Florida. At Stay carried out its ninth execution of the year last night, setting a new state record, one that's likely going to be broken again next month, with two more executions planned.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct, and it's this month because it's August first. I said next month, but it's actually it's actually scheduled in two weeks, two of them. All Right before sixty year old Edward Zakrazuski was put to death by lethal injection, he had some uh, well, he had some interesting final words. Here is what Edward Zakrazuski had to say. I want to thank the good people of the Sunshine State for killing me in the most cold, calculated, clean, humane, efficient way possible. I have no complaints. He was pronounced dead at six twelve pm.
Speaker 2: Oh zach Zeuski was convicted and sentenced to death with the nineteen ninety four machety killings of his wife and their two young childs, and testimony the trial revealed after his wife asked for a divorce, he told people he would rather kill his family than have a divorce. Now, Florida has carried out more executions this year than, of course, it has ever had, but also than any other state this year, including Texas. Texas has had four. South Carolina has had four as well, and I believe the country has as a whole somewhere around ten left to our schedule, and this would end up being a big year, if you will, for executions in this country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy to think that Florida has more than doubled Texas and South Carolina all right. Next up on the run, the three people in charge of emergency response in Kirk County, Texas during last month's deadly flooding were all out of pocket as that emergency unfolded. Two were asleep and another was out of town at a lake house.
Speaker 2: Yeah. These were some pretty hard to hear revelations. They came in a legislative hearing held in Kirk County yesterday. The county's top of officials gave testimony about their response to the two the disaster, which killed at least one hundred and thirty six people. The county emergency Management director, guy named William Thomas, admitted that he was home sick the day before the flood hit and didn't participate in at least two emergency planning meetings that day leading up to the night of the emergency. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He says he was asleep during the emergency and was alerted at five thirty am when his wife woke him up to tell him that work called. The county sheriff was also asleep and didn't wake up until they were well into the emergency. And then the county judge, the county executive, well, he was away at a lake and also didn't wake up until about five thirty am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then they held this hearing. This was from the Texas Legislature, but they actually went to Kerr County and had the hearing there. So this was attended by a lot of local folks who were impacted by the response and to hear these are the three people in charge and I mean one representative at some point, Am I hearing you right? That the three people in charge were essentially nowhere to be found.
Speaker 1: It's unfortunate that it was on a holiday. People take that opportunity either to go to a lake cast, to sleep in, to not be as you know, you're not looking at your phone, you're not worried about getting to work. You're just you're in vacation mode.
Speaker 2: And you know what They were challenged on that in saying you knew before you went to bed what the hell was coming and the possibility you stay just and the purpose of this hearing was, of course to get answers about what happened during the emergency response and how to improve systems in the future. Stay with us here on this Friday morning run. When we come back, Justin Timberlake was considering ending his tour because he was in so much pain. He now knows what was causing it. And the White House is about to get a big, new, beautiful ballroom. It's gonna cost two hundred million, but I'm told you don't have to pay for it.
Speaker 1: Before we go to break I have to tell you about new leggings I've been living in lately. They're from this brand called Tona and fun fact here they were actually designed by the same visionary behind Lululemon, so from that alone, you already know they're going to be pretty good. These leggings feel like a second skin. They're super flattering, super comfortable, and somehow still supportive. I've been wearing them on my warning runs and they've quickly become my everyday lounging leggings too. And here's what makes them even better. Every pair you buy helps fund a mental health counseling session for a teen in need. Tona's on a mission to end teen suicide and self harm, which we think is so important and incredible, So we've partnered with Tona to give you twenty percent off your order and free shipping. Head to tonaactive dot com and use code iHeart for twenty percent off and free shipping. Welcome back to this Friday edition of our Morning Run and next up on the Run Justin Timberlake just wrapped his two year world tour, but he almost didn't make it to the end of it because of health issues. Timberlake announcing on social media that he was diagnosed with lime disease.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He said he was shocked when he first received the diagnosis, but at least he could understand why he was feeling massive amounts of nerve, pain, fatigue, sickness while he had been performing. He said it was so difficult he began to question whether he could actually continue performing.
Speaker 1: Yes, Timberlake posted this, I was faced with a personal decision stop touring. I decided the joy the performing brings me far outweighs the fleeting stress my body was feeling. I'm so glad I kept going. Timberlake said he decided to share the news of his diagnosis in order to be more transparent about my struggles so that they aren't misinterpreted.
Speaker 2: Didn't I see somewhere he was being criticized for a performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lackluster performance. My parents saw him on this tour in Atlanta, and they said it was one of the best shows they had ever seen. That it was my mom and dad. First of all, I was laughing. Mom and dad went to go see JT like.
Speaker 2: The center stage right, so excited.
Speaker 1: But yes, they said it was one of the best shows they had ever seen. But maybe he was having an off night. And it makes sense now given what he was dealing with.
Speaker 2: Isn't that something how we just well, what do I always say? Give people a beat before you criticize. You just don't know what people.
Speaker 1: Are going It was probably miraculous that he was up there performing at all, and he.
Speaker 2: Was considering canceling, and he was ripped for perform good enough.
Speaker 1: It wasn't exciting enough. It wasn't whatever they were.
Speaker 2: Maybe I get it, and maybe he should have been more transparent earlier. Maybe maybe, but just give people a break sometimes. This ten time Grammy winner canceled postponed multiple shows throughout the tour because of health issues. Lime disease a reminder here is a bacterial infection transmitted by deer ticks. Three stages of the disease, which can include flu like symptoms, joint pain, fatigue, and other neurological and cardiac issues. When caught early, it's successfully treated with antibiotics in most cases.
Speaker 1: I know you won't be surprised to hear this, but about five years ago, I too had a tickborn illness and it's it's real. I mean I was fevers and aches. I didn't know what was going on. I finally went to the doctor and boila tickborn illness. Had to be on antibiotics, but it did clear it up.
Speaker 2: Where do you where do you get ticks?
Speaker 1: Well? I got them covering hurricane in North Carolina. That's you're out in the what I was out in floodwaters and got some tics. It's I think it's called Rocky Mountain fever down there in North Carolina. Wow, I feel you. Jt all right. Timberlake ended his post by thanking his wife, Jessica Biel and their two sons, saying, I love this. Nothing is more powerful than your unconditional love. You are my heart and my home. I'm on my way.
Speaker 2: That's cute.
Speaker 1: That was very cute.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I hope he's doing better. His is on his way, final leg of the run. Here. Now White House gonna be on the construction for the next few years. The Trump administration unveiled plans to build a new ninety thousand square foot ballroom at the White House.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is like the Gilded Age.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly what it's going to look like.
Speaker 1: Right. Wow, Okay, nothing's being torn down. Rather, they're making the addition to the east wing. President Trump has been talking about this for years. The White House doesn't actually have space for large events like state dinners. I did not know that. I didn't know that when they need to have those large events, they actually have to put up tents next to the White House to accommodate a larger number of guests.
Speaker 2: So now for everybody say they didn't know that, now it's going to make sense to you. When you ever hear about a state dinner and you see the video of people on the red carpet entering, there's a red carpet and they're walking through a tent because they don't have enough room at the actual White House to do it. They literally have to have state dinners.
Speaker 1: It's a big house. How do they not that's wild to me.
Speaker 2: Don't have enough space for it? Yes, doing this renovation now. The new ballroom's going to hold six hundred and fifty guests. Construction begins in September, is supposed to be done before the president's term ends. This will be the first structural addition to the White House since the Truman Balcony was at it in nineteen forty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cost though out it's just a ballroom, two hundred million, dollars. Who is paying you ask? That is unclear. The White House has, the president and other donors are committed to raising the money, and in great Trump fashion, here was his quote. I love this. I'm good at building things, and we're going to build quickly and on time.
Speaker 2: I kind of believe I kind of do too.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, that'll be fun and exciting, and I'm waiting for my invitation. It's actually terrazy picked out already, you know.
Speaker 2: But in all seriousness, the People's House probably needs that. Yeah, we shouldn't. I'm not against it. A state dinner in a tent.
Speaker 1: That's not let's.
Speaker 2: Stop doing no.
Speaker 1: That doesn't show any kind of good representation of this country.
Speaker 2: So all right, that's kind of cool. Before we let you go on this Friday, something we like for you to consider it is our quote of the day.
Speaker 1: This is actually something for you, I think if you're gonna get why I pick this. Games are won by players who focus on the playing field, not by those whose eyes are glued to the scoreboard. I like that because we're all looking for the outcome. We're all looking to see did I win? Did I get it? Did we are we there? Instead? Or maybe we're looking at the clock or whatever. We're all focused on how we measure our success. But if you actually just focus on playing the game, that's how you really win.
Speaker 2: Oh look at you, but I got nothing ad.
Speaker 1: I thought it would be from a like a coach or something, and I thought it was kind of cool it was from Warren Buffett. I mean making a sports analogy there with how you win.
Speaker 2: Games are won by players who focus on the playing field, not by those whose eyes are glued to the scoreboard. Keep that one on you today. That's a really, really good one to apply to a lot of facets of life. And with that, folks, we always appreciate you running with us. Don't miss our recovery run tomorrow morning. What is something you know for sure it's going to be in the recovery run we did this week.
Speaker 1: I would say going to Ava's improv theater Showkay that I was about to go. We're gonna go do it again tonight too, so we'll have a lot to talk about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, some folks, we always appreciate you running with us. I'm TJ and.
Speaker 1: I'm Amy Robock. Have a great Friday and an even better weekend.