Speaker 1: Hey, y'all.
Speaker 2: Is Laurena Rosa with the latest with Laurena Rosa on Black Effects and I cannot wait to see you guys at the fourth Annual Black Effect Podcast Festival. Okay, we're coming back to Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday, April twenty fifth at Palman Yards and it's hosted by me alongside DJ MV and charlottagnea God.
Speaker 3: We got drink chances of Noriega and Djafing.
Speaker 2: We gotta keep it positive, Sweetye with My Girl, Christopherne Hayslin. We got Reality with the King with My Guide, then my brother Carlos King, and y'all know he does reality commentary like nobody can.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: We also have Don't Call Me White Girl, the podcast I Love Mona and Club five twenty podcasts, along with the Grits and Eggs podcast.
Speaker 3: So this lineup stack Baby, turn Up.
Speaker 2: You're also gonna want to check out the panels that we have lined up too, Feature and keV on stage, Pika Sumpter, and John Hope Bryant just to name a few. Of course, it's way bigger than podcast. We're bringing the Black Effect marketplace with black owned businesses, bus the food truck court to keep you fed while you visit us. Okay, listen, you don't want to miss this. Tap in and grab your ticket down at Black Effect dot Com slash podcast.
Speaker 5: Yesterday Welcome The Money and Wealth with John O'Bryant, a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: Yo, Yo Yo.
Speaker 5: This is John O'Bryant, and this is the Money and Wealth podcast series, season three on iHeartRadio and the Black Effect Network. And I want to thank everybody for making the podcast a NAACP Image Award nominated podcast and one of the top fifty for entrepreneurship in the country and top two hundred on every content in the world, not for people of color, for everybody, and the get you know what, I have a guest on it. As you know, it's very rare. These are outliers, these are unique leaders. These are people who bring something well more than I can bring myself.
Speaker 4: And so you're gonna get a treat.
Speaker 5: The days I'm gonna shut up and let you listen to somebody who I think brings a great deal of wisdom and perspective. And to be really blunt me be for a reader bio to you. She's not playing a game with you. I'd say something else if I was by the no children were listening, But uh, she's she's not playing a game.
Speaker 4: I just drives me nuts.
Speaker 5: All these people out here, and it's Tiffany by the way, you know her. There's the budget, the budgetiese star is you know, or Tiffany the Budganese Sta, which is a beautiful branding for her. But I also don't even want that. That sounds a little entertainment ish, it's a little sort of slickish. I don't want you to think, even with that, that she's not in any way and every way substantive.
Speaker 4: You'll hear again that I read her bio.
Speaker 5: She's incredibly credential, and she volunteered at our whole Global forum just recently with my friends from Pink Deer in December of twenty twenty five and did an extraordinary job. Couldn't walk down the hallways after that without being mobbed in a positive way. But there's so many people out here playing games on the internet, lying straight into the camera talking about money. They don't have experiences. They never they've never gained companies, have never run investments that they're telling you to do. That they they've never engaged in talking about a million, two million, five million, all this money that they never had talking about incomes. Don't marry somebody if they haven't seen it or received it or felt it. I mean, I just just drive me nuts and they give me with bad advice. And and so if I put my arms around somebody, if I point to somebody to the best of my knowledge, know that I have vetted them and think that they are straight up legit. And of course the New York Times made her book of New York Times Bestseller. And again let me just read her bio. Tiffany is known to millions as the Budgonese sta Is One, and she's one of the of America's most trusted voices in personal finance. She's an award winning financial educator, a New York Times bestselling author of Get Good with Money, and the founder of a movement that has been has helped literally millions.
Speaker 4: My wife loves it.
Speaker 5: By the way, shasrum a million has helped more than a million women save, manage, and transform their financial lives. Now, she's helped women, but it will help you too, if you're a man, if you're if you're a Martian. It will help you if your Martians come to America. He dine on our financial system. You need to talk to, need to talk to Tiffany. Tiffany has made financial education practical, empowering, and accessible for everyday people, and her impact is reached from living rooms to classrooms, including helping them aspire financial educational legislation in New Jersey. She's also been featured by major major national outlets including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Time Today, is in The Today Show, and Good Morning America. And she also is academically credentialed. And I'll let her walk you through all the nine zillion licenses and credentials that she has gained, the ones that she thinks are relevant for this conversation. I saw her recently with Earn your Leisure, Earn your Leisure Guys, and she said something that pleasantly surprised me because she got it completely right. She said that people be talking about, oh, I want to be debt free, and she's.
Speaker 4: Well, my little cousin's debt free. You know, I don't mean nothing. He broke U.
Speaker 5: And I would she would say her little cousin, I'd say pooky in them. You guys, tell me I got the Pooky and them syndrome in my head. But being debt free, it means nothing thing if you have no income stream, if you have no In fact, I'll flip that and I'll challenge her to to talk me to say I'm just stupid and wrong. But uh, I say you you don't want it's not it's not you want don't want debt, you want don't want bad debt, you don't want stupid debt, you don't want silly debt. In fact, there's no millionaire, multimillionaire, billionaire, uh, city, state, county government that didn't do it without good debt. There's no university, no company that didn't do it with on the back of good debt. So you want to tie to somebody that appreciates, not something that depreciates. And that was the point she was making on On your Leisure.
Speaker 4: It was a point.
Speaker 5: Where very well made ladies and gentlemen, I bring to you the budgeteest welcome to.
Speaker 3: Thank you, John.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm actually going that that clip is probably like I don't know, five years old. I guess it's like recirculating. But I'm gonna I'm going back on a few weeks.
Speaker 3: With Tory and Rashad.
Speaker 1: But yes, I will say that people were eating me up about that. Oh well, debt freedom is better than nothing.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: The joke I make is that my nephew Roman is debt free. He doesn't have a cardinal student loans mortgage. But Roman is broke because romans ten years old, right, And that debt freedom is not the goal that certainly it can be a goal, that's what you want on your way to building wealth. And that's the mistake that a lot of people make, is that debt freedom by itself is not enough to grow the kind of life that you want financially. Because our children are debt free, and so you know, and there are people who have a bunch of debt and still have wealth for themselves. So yes, that is something that I've leaded into. Even though people fight me on it, I get it. Nobody wants to be burdened by credit card debt, but I myself. So I have four properties. Now two of them I kinda I wasn't expecting to purchase. But there were such good deals last year. They came within the same week of each other, and I remember thinking, hmmm, I can pay for these these homes in cash, but I really think I don't want to pull any money out of the market. And also too, I didn't want to incur you know, I didn't want to miss out on whatever, what, whatever growth I might have in the market. So I did what's called, well, my bank calls a pledge asset line, which essentially I borrow against.
Speaker 4: Myself, which is the Bank of Tiffany.
Speaker 3: Yes, but that essentially is that. And so I borrowed against myself.
Speaker 4: Is it a margin account? Is it a margin line against your.
Speaker 5: Let's hold on, because you've already gone deep into the well of good financial literacy. Let's stop from a given that we're both black, we can both have this conversation bluntly with our audience. Let's say what no one ever tells our people. One of the reasons that people say that. And I was just with a very successful person last week who said, I just want to pay off my house. And I was saying, no, you want to keep a mortgage on that the house. I was telling her why and all the tax advantages, but she's like, no, it just freaks me out, Like I just want to pay off the house, and she's had trauma. And black folks, after Americans in particular, we've been traumatized by this system. We've been trauma. Our descendants were traumatized by slavery, and then slavery came, you know, Jim Crow, and then you had folks are leasing you lands and then we're going to sell you the land and sharecropping. Sham cropping was before Jim Crow, and that gamed us. And you have the Freeman's Bank and that gamed us. Uh and and then Jim Crow, that gamed us. You had you had convict lists leasing, that gamed.
Speaker 3: Us, and that red lining.
Speaker 5: You got redlining, and that gamed us and you and you and then you you, and you have fraudsters and folks just trying to separate your wallet on a regular basis, and even folks showing up at the church and that might have gained you or you are people you saw grandma, grandpa, somebody lose everything, and so we we just paranoid and then we get in the market. The last time, the two thousand eight crisis probably was the most traumatic because we got there, we got these got these adjustable rate mortgages UG. We had a negative amortization mortgage. Ug, you had Wall Street? Who people protect? Who the people I thought they could trust? Who are trying to put a postman in a million in a mini mansion and going to ever work out?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: So so we all now I'm off of real estate. No, no, no, don't be off of real estate, be off of stupid decisions. Because nobody gave me a bad mortgage in two thousand and eight because I wasn't gonna take it. So we're traumatized, yes, and that's why we don't want that. We don't want we don't want any risk. And so let's deal with the trauma, the drama. Let's deal with our low self esteem, our insecurities, our fears. Let's address those head on, get our hands around it. She's about to educate you now now because she doesn't have a self esteem problem.
Speaker 3: Well I did for a long time.
Speaker 5: I'm getting this, but like I'm not vouching for it. I'm just saying I read people very well. She has confidence and she has acquired self esteem.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 5: She said she didn't she did have a self seem problem. Because everybody can relate to that, and those who know my story y'all's homeless. So from from broke to Blueprint the comeback story, Tiffany, you lost your teaching job, got scammed out tens of thousands of dollars, ended up moving back home with your parents, all while sitting on a master's degree. Walk us through that low point and the moment you decided to turn your mess into a message.
Speaker 1: So, John, I was fortunate. I grew up in a household where money was talked about all the time. My fathers, yeah, his master's in economics, his his bachelor's in finance.
Speaker 3: My mother was a nurse with her master.
Speaker 1: So my dad literally, I'm one of five girls, and I think he really worried about making sure his girl could take care of himselves, so he would do the academics when it came to money. Literally, this is how you invest, this is how you this is what credit is. And my mom was more the actual applied knowledge, like now let's go food chopping and I'm gonna show you how to do that. And here's how you negotiate, Like anybody, if you're buying a car on our household, you bring my mother. She's the best negotiator, right. So I had that growing up and I listened to them up until my mid twenties. And then that's when I decided, as the old folks say, you're smelling yourself, and so I decided I was grown and I didn't have to take their advice anymore. Despite all that education, and I started making financial decisions and not running it by these experts that had lived through it successfully raising five girls, setting us all the college and paying for it. And so I bought a condo. I was twenty five. I was really proud of myself. I put my down payment down. I was still teaching preschool. I taught preschool for ten years. It's making like thirty nine between thirty to fifty thousand dollars a year depending when I started. And then I say thirty five thousand dollars. I put my down payment down. Then at twenty six, I got my master's in education. Then at twenty seven, twenty eight, I fell victim to a credits card scam with a friend who told me to take money off of my credit card and invested with him. He promptly ran away, and there I was. Now all of a sudden, the span of a few years, I owe fifty thousand dollars because I had to pay for my masters myself in student loan deck two hundred and twenty thousand.
Speaker 3: Also that.
Speaker 4: These messages all in here.
Speaker 5: You didn't say a stranger, No a friend now, by the way, friend of quotation marks, because clearly wouldn't like that.
Speaker 4: We don't need enemies, no he Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we saved our worst behavior for those we care the most about. Right, Nobody curses out homeless peoplecause homeless people don't care.
Speaker 4: Right, So.
Speaker 5: Tiffany got scam. You're gonna get scammed if you get scammed in all likelihood by somebody who knows you.
Speaker 4: Somebody's gonna come in you with some crazy deal.
Speaker 5: And on the guys that supposedly they love you, to quote Bill President Bill Clinton, it's hard to get somebody agreed to the truths when the liar's paying their paycheck. So so to rationalize is tell rational lies. So Tiffany just gave you a lesson here in the midst of her lesson that watch every angle, yeah coming at you, because just because somebody's related to you doesn't mean they have your best interest.
Speaker 4: At hand. Okay, back to you too, And.
Speaker 1: So I should have known it was a scam, but I was in my twenties and so because the terms were too favorable.
Speaker 3: But the house always wins. Like I was literally justin Vakas.
Speaker 1: I don't gamble, but I was there for a conference, and I just remember seeing all these people lined up to give away their money, and I thought, the house always wins. And so so I had the credit card debt thirty five thousand, the student loans fifty thousand, and my mortgage two hundred and twenty thousand, and I purchased in two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, so right before the the crisis.
Speaker 3: And then I thought.
Speaker 1: The first domino that fell was the scammer went ran away with my money and I couldn't find him. And now I had to pay off this credit card debt. But at first I didn't want to. I was just paying the minimum because I told myself, I'm gonna find him.
Speaker 3: He's gonna pay me. I did. I didn't. He's in jail now.
Speaker 1: Every once in a while, I was looking up his name and his very unique name, and I looked him up and I said, wow, he tried to scam the federal government.
Speaker 3: And so I caught up with him.
Speaker 1: I was not his only victim, but so he is currently sitting in federal jail, which I'm like, eh, anyway.
Speaker 4: You should go visit him and sign a copy of book and delivery.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: And so that was the first dominum.
Speaker 1: So finally, when I decided, like a year into like me, having to pay that debt, I said, Tiffany, you're working, just buckle down, you know how to budget, know how to save.
Speaker 3: Just pay off this debt.
Speaker 1: And then I found out my school, which was nonprofit based law, they're funding during the recession, and they said we're closing. So now I owe all this debt. I have no income. It's the new school year, and if you're a teacher, you know that September you're least likely to get hired because everyone the classrooms are full that they have to have teachers in the beginning of the school year. And so I just remember thinking, what do I do Now? I owe all this money, I owe my mortgage. I can't afford it. And so I was fortune. This is not the case for so many. But my parents still lived in New Jersey where I lived, and.
Speaker 3: I moved back home.
Speaker 1: I was twenty nine going on thirty by then, and it was a humbling experience because my parents are very are immigrant parents straight from Nigeria, which means even though you're twenty nine, you're like nineteen, right, And so the rules were the rules.
Speaker 3: They were like, what you have twelve midnights, you better be in this house. Yes, and so it was really hard.
Speaker 1: But it was then that I said, if I can lose a job teaching, there is no safe job. So what if I bet on myself instead of like letting someone else decide. And that's when I decided. I said, you know what I was. I was already kind of teaching financial education. I used to volunteer at different nonprofits the United Way and churches, the YMCA because I taught, you know, I loved teaching and I learned so much from about money from home. And I said, well, what if I start teaching? And I started the budget NISA. First year, I made like I don't even know negative amount because I think I was still on unemployment. Second year, like twelve thousand dollars for the whole year. It took me, like we hear about all the people who make a million dollars the first month. No, it took me five years to make six figures, my first six figures, and that's gross. I remember my take home in that fifth year was what I used to make as a preschool teacher. So it took me five years just to get my income back as.
Speaker 3: A preschool teacher. And in that five years.
Speaker 1: Years exactly, so by then I was like staying with my sister, staying with a friend. I mean I was, this is in my thirties. I wasn't a kid. And then year six I went from six figures to my first seventh figure year because of cumulative knowledge. And then during the pandemic, we had our first eight figure year, you know, and so it just really grew, and so did our audience. I mean I I you know, to teach financial education really is a privilege and a pleasure because people stop me all the time, whether it's TSA, whether they're like tivity, we're reading your book collectively, like as a group, Like I get stopped by the women a TSA all the time, whether it's you know.
Speaker 3: At the Whole Foods or shopwright or whatever.
Speaker 1: People stop me that And what I'm seeing now because I've been doing it for sixteen years now is generational. So I get the mama and the daughter and the son, and so it's just been amazing. But what I'm seeing is that are people just people in general general, they want to do better, but sometimes they have that they don't have the access to aligned culturally aligned financial education. Like just say it to me regular is what people usually say to me. And so that's what that's that's the premise of my business. How can I get you to access to financial education so you can change your life on your chops.
Speaker 5: And there's also a little bit of a boost that you got from I have Africa on my bracelet here this is Mandela's prison number where every day but the fact that you're from your parents are from Nigeria, which are some of the most entrepreneurial, high confidence and high self estem people on the planet.
Speaker 4: Someone the smartest on the planet.
Speaker 5: And I did a whole video on how African Americans and African Caribbeans and African Africans are the same but different and the African American experience we were, as I said earlier, our self esteem was beaten down. And even though we are the role models for the world and aspirational success because we did this in the biggest I mean, on the planet America, we still suffer unhealed soul. And so those who come from the Caribbean and come from Africa theoretically don't happen as much of that burden because either he was Caribbean and it wasn't the kind of slavery that sold your soul with their families. Were still nuclear families in the Caribbean, even though they were enslaved. They're kept together. That was different.
Speaker 4: That was not in America, and of course Africa. It's all about family.
Speaker 5: And so I want to just underscore the benefit you're seeing here. You're witnessing here the benefit of the of the value of family. I was talking to Bishop TD Jakes this morning and he was he was concerned, hopeful of a concern about the decreasing rates of marriage and the nuclear families in the black community. And he said, John, this affects your economics, yes, effect, This affects your self esteem, This affects your ability to heal, the fix stability, this affects you know, all these things. And valuing also the father, valuing the wife, and the wife valuing the husband.
Speaker 4: The two plus two equals six, eight or ten. You better together. It seemed like those things were present.
Speaker 1: I mean more than I knew John. Like the first time I went to Nigeria, I was twenty one. My dad flew us all out like we've had been saving and my mom, my dad, all my sisters who went to Nigeria. It was my grandparent's fiftieth wedding anniversary, so he said, everybody was going back to the village. My grandparents are on mine because both of my father's parents had really so on my mother's side, my grandparents were still alive and they were celebrating their fiftieth so all her sisters and.
Speaker 3: Brothers were coming to the village.
Speaker 1: And my dad said, this is a great time for y'all to go to Nigeria for the first time.
Speaker 3: So we went.
Speaker 1: And so my last name is Alich, which it was just like Alich, which means like people of the earth in Ebo, like an old Ebo. So the first time in America, if I mean Aliche, it's my sister or like my mom or dad. That's it, you know, I have I think like one like I think I got one aunt, one uncle maybe, but so I'm going in So Nigeria, we land. We drive the many many hours to the village and my dad is introducing us as we're walking through this beautiful village and oh, this is Samson Alice. I was like, oh, oh, fam, I'm Aliche too. They're like, yes, oh this is Sylvie Alice.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm Aliche too. This is true Corlice. Then my dad looked at me.
Speaker 1: He said, Tiffany Adochi really is my ebo name, which means gift from God Adochi.
Speaker 3: Everyone here is Eliche. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I said, I don't understand. He said, the village is extended family.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Literally, every single person that you run into here is connected to you by blood.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: And he said that village over there, everyone there is your mother's people.
Speaker 3: They all have to say last name.
Speaker 1: And when your I saw your mother and I thought she was beautiful and I wanted to, you know, get to know her.
Speaker 3: Our village elders had to get together to.
Speaker 1: Talk through our lineage to make sure there was no overlap before we were allowed to be and court each other. For him to court her, I remember thinking, that is the power here. Everyone here is a leech. I'll never forget that. And so that's where your.
Speaker 5: Self esteem just exploded. Your center of agency just exploded, your center of belonging just exploded. Your inner wealth began to really generate because you're like.
Speaker 4: I am somebody. Yes, I mean this is royalty here, Rudy. Yeah. Yeah, it's unbelievable the boost that that is.
Speaker 5: And people African Americans don't understand what we're missing by not reconnecting back to our African roots. And our friend of mine, another friend of mine told me, and I agree with them, Blacks have to become the Africa with Jews art Israel a resource. But you can't do that. You can't give anybody that. It's something you don't have yourself. I can't love you unless I love myself. I can't feel good about you unless I feel good about myself.
Speaker 4: But a lot of has to do.
Speaker 5: The healing and reconnection and that experience you had. I think it's still breathing through you today.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It is because I was I was born right here in Jersey, like I was born in New York.
Speaker 3: I live in nor you know, so my experience was you know.
Speaker 1: At home, Yes, it was African at home, and and and and black every place else, you know, like home. We still would go to like festivals and things like my parents made tread home that like we got as close as they could recreate for us to have like an African upbringing. But no, I'm black. I'm a black girl, like I'm Tiffany a friends that you know. I love to play double dutch and jump double dutch. And I didn't quite learn how to play spades well because I can't say that nobody's table. They're like, no, you know, I played the dozens as a kid. I grew up in the eighties.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm an eighties baby.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, So I say all that to say that, like, yes, I believe.
Speaker 3: I believe I've gotten the best of both worlds.
Speaker 1: And so because my dad would say, you know, say what you want about America, but he would say, honestly, I ask him, well, why did you come here? And he said, this is one of the few countries in this world where you can actually make your.
Speaker 3: Dreams come true.
Speaker 1: Opportunity, he said, I can work really hard in Nigeria, do everything right and get my degrees. Nigeria's are some of the most degrees. They are actually the most degreed people in the world. They did a study and yet so many of my cousins are farmers because there is no opportunity. That's right, but here, if you are willing and to put the work in, even with all the discrimination, everything that we know, you still at least have the possibility for success here because there are ways around it. There's some places where there are no ways around it. You know, there's just no opportunity.
Speaker 5: So we're going to go in unexpected but very very important corner of the universe of thought here for a second. One of the reasons America is so successful in spite of all of her challenges and insecurities, and she's capitalism and democracy and America or horrible systems and places except for every other system in place. And one of the reasons that America is so successful is it inspired or triggered or lit a fire of these rare dreamers all around the world Nigeria, South Africa, South America, all the place in Asia, Europe, all these different places, who said, I have a dream, I have an ambition, I want to be successful, and I'm not going to just sit here and wait for this to happen. I'm going to go to where I have the greatest, highest and I'm plane, trained, automobile, boat ship, no money. But what it takes for somebody that to transport themselves from comfort to risk is unprecedented self esteem and confidence. And so you magnetize all those people. All economy is is the collection of the economic energy. You magnetize all those people in one place, how do you not create the largest economy on the planet. And that's sense that that's that that freedom thing that America was advertising and everybody got them, but black people got on the wrong boat after Americans. But that freedom thing really was its original advantage. And so her father is a living and mother or living examples of what I talk about. And I didn't know the backstory, but it lines up perfectly. And when I say that that marriage did not originally come from romance, it didn't really didn't come from religion. It came from two families or villages or people with resources saying how do we protect how do we grow the name, the lineage, how do we grow the assets?
Speaker 4: And then hey, do you guys like each other?
Speaker 5: That's important and of course we you know, we added spirituality of God is at a spirituality on this in doubt it three thousand years ago. But the village had to come together about about her and her mother. It was two different villages. They had to have a conversation. And that is thousands of years old. That that and she's the benefit of that, and I could see it in her eyes without knowing her story, her backstory. And that's a supercharger. And so if you can relate to this story, know that you have whether you're African African and African Caribbean or you're African American, and you've been going over and rounded through it and now you can get to it because in spite of everything else, still you're the most successful black people on the planet. Yes, her father's trying to get to you, so know that you can do it. And she's a living and her parents are living examples. I want to tell you say your mother and father's name out loud so that we can put in the history books.
Speaker 1: So Sylvia Aliche is my mother and Irandi Eliche is my father.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's beautiful. Your self esteem you said it wasn't always great.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I'm at financial self esteem because of all that. I had what I call post traumatic broke syndrome. I struggled, so certainly I had self esteemed like so many young girls like I used to hate that I was dark skinned.
Speaker 3: Because I grew up in the eighties, when you know, everyone to be light.
Speaker 1: I used to like, I mean, I have locks now and I love my hair, but I used to hate the texture of my hair because the eighties were for light and wavy and curly. That that's what, that's what if you were Louisiana, yes, and so the brown bag exactly so, I, you know, but with time and age, those things tend to melt away, and I don't feel that way at all anymore.
Speaker 4: I love the way to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I, you know, I plus two it's not nearly as important, but I, you know, I I when I look at myself, I see my dad, I see my mom, I see my people. You know, when I went to Nigeria, I'm like, oh, look at my great grandmother was still alive. She was one hundred and two, and I could see myself and I remember thinking looking at her.
Speaker 3: Hair, like it curls like mine. Is that where I got it from?
Speaker 1: And so those helped me to be like girl, I don't worry about what these people say in middle school and high school and whatever. But the post traumatic broke syndrome was harder to get over because I had made those mistakes as an adult and so well into my deep into my thirties. I'm forty six now, I still was carrying around what if I now that I'm making decent money and I'm starting to grow, and especially when I've at thirty seven, I officially became like a millionaire asset wise, and then by like forty it was like, oh, I actually see a million dollars in the bank, like okay, and so but I was terrified because of the mistakes I made in my twenties, that I would do something to trigger the downfall of my finances, and so I moved so conservatively.
Speaker 3: I left a lot of money on the table.
Speaker 1: And I did what you said, Like I owned four home so my first two properties I bought cash because of that fear, right, I said.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, no, no, y'all not going to foreclothes on this, you know.
Speaker 1: And I remember I have I have a certified financial planner. On Julie, she's amazing, and she was like.
Speaker 3: Girl, put that money in the market. And I knew.
Speaker 1: I knew logically what she was saying was right, but emotionally I was terrified of being broke again or someone taking my property. So the first two I bought cash well, first three because I had bought something from the city, but that was like ten thousand dollars. And then but the last two that I purchased last year, I was I'm finally beyond that. So I was like, girl, we're not doing that. Let the money grow in the market. I purchased these two properties. They're already up. Nework is one of the fastest growing to real estate places in the country. I'm so fortunate and so already. Like the condo that I'm living in now, I purchased it like two years ago for five twenty it's already worth eight twenty. Like that's how quickly. Well, let's state it's growing here and so like. But you know, so I understand the shame, I understand the year. I understand that. But you have to work through it. And the key to working through those things is sometimes it might mean working with somebody, you know, you know, that's why you've got like you know what you do John, Like, is there are there places I can go to sit with someone to share this is where I am, this is where I want to be I don't know how to get there, you know, and so let me tell let me.
Speaker 5: Say something now for the audience say and it may not be maybe obvious, may not be obvious. Before we got on on on on camera, she would she would timply saying that she's starting a financial literacy program herself. She has one, a teaching one, she's starting a curriculum. And she said, well, you know, in addition to what you're doing. No, we needed an addition to what I'm doing. We need a movement. Right, this is the third reconstruction everybody. My new book Capitalism for All is on the two and fifty, the anniversary of America, and it is one hundred anniversary of Black History Month. God, you know, coincidence is god way remain anonymous. The whole country is going through one huge colonic trying to figure out who it wants to be when it grows up. And and so you got women power in the economy. You got you can't can't survive this future growth without black and brown people in the economy.
Speaker 4: But we don't have the tools to succeed.
Speaker 5: We're still dealing with civil rights in a world of civil rights, and so we need Tiffany.
Speaker 4: We need earn your leisure.
Speaker 5: We need Robert Smith, we need we need whoever you know, Ash Cash, whoever is ethical and honest out here it was doing it right. We need everybody at the at the table because the new movement is not in the streets, is in the suites. So we need a whole network, local, state, federal, international of people. Realize if financial literacy is a civil rights issue with this generation, when you.
Speaker 4: Know better, you do better.
Speaker 5: And she is and so on this point, you've created uh legislation. Also in New Jersey, tell the audience about that.
Speaker 1: So yes, so I work with She was my assembly woman, Angela Vie McKnight. She actually was one of my students at the United Way when I was teaching. I wrote their curriculum at the United Way and Newark and I taught that program for three years and she was one of my students. She had this amazing nonprofit. The community said you need to run for office. We need people like you.
Speaker 3: Angela.
Speaker 1: She said, Okay, she ran and she won her seat as assemblywoman here in New Jersey. She's now Senator because she's gotten like the most lost pass in almost any other legislator in the state of New Jersey.
Speaker 3: She's so effective.
Speaker 1: And when she became the assembly woman, Angela said, Tiffany, I want to get a law.
Speaker 3: Pass about education.
Speaker 1: I was taking financial education and I said, well, there is kind of a long place for high school, but I think financial education should start as young as middle school. And she said, okay, we wrote what we thought it should be. I helped to meet with educators and met with other lawmakers and testified and it took about three years.
Speaker 3: But I called it the Budgetista Law.
Speaker 1: They call it a one four one four or whatever, a budgets law exactly. But that passed in two thousand, oh my gosh, nineteen. So all middle school students in the state of New Jersey must get financial education integrated into their curriculum.
Speaker 3: And currently now we're working on refining.
Speaker 1: The law for high school because it used to be you could take an economics course or something else. Now we're like, no, no, we want every single high school senior by the time you're a senior to have have at least a semester of financial education.
Speaker 3: And so that's like what we're currently working on now.
Speaker 1: And then really what I want to do is I want to get back go back to elementary school. So I want, if you're in a state of New Jersey starting kindergarten through twelfth grade, you're getting financial education. How would that change the trajectory of the lives of the students here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Here in Atlanta. Kudos to you, by the way, on the budget Easter law. I think that's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Atlanta.
Speaker 5: We have worked with Mayor Andre Dickens and Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms before him and put together a Hope Child Savings Account for every kindergarten kid. And so now every kindergarten kids is over twelve thousand accounts that have a Hope Child Savors Account every kid. We're gonna now wrap financial literacy around that and go k through college and tie that with AI literacy and financial literacy for future literacy. Just what you're talking about. And it didn't hit me, but really it is a little bit of history here. You and I are probably the only two black people in America who's inspired a state in the federal law. And we got we got President Bush and Obama to make an executive order to make financial literacy federal policy, but but we never got the Congress to then codify that that was for the federal government to codify that, and it's something that would push down into the school district.
Speaker 4: And that's a dream I have.
Speaker 5: But you have gone beyond that and they got it done in a prominent state. And for that I give you. I give you absolute kudos. Talk to us about why women are so important to this narrative that you have. I can talk about it, but I'm not a woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, honestly, studies show that when you help a woman, you help a family. And not to say obviously we know that men are critical. I mean, I am the product of like you know, probably the most influential person in my life, like my mother. Hopefully she doesn't listen because alway gets mad when I say this, But it's my father, So I'm not gonna certainly I'm not saying that. But you know that women typically are the first teachers in a household. So if a woman knows how to manage money, she passes it on to children, she creates many times the environment for her partner to be.
Speaker 3: Able to succeed financially.
Speaker 1: Even if a woman is not working, she's typically making the majority of the financial choices for those for those men who are married to women. Imagine deciding what house you want to get. If you love it, she hates it, you'all aint getting that house. But if she hates it and you don't like it so much, you might still get it. And so women, even if they're not working, are still making the financial choices, the car you drive, the food you eat, what the kids wear, and so if we can get women on board, it trickles down into every area of life. And so that's why I always say we don't turn anyone away. So we certainly have about maybe like twenty or thirty percent of our audience's men, but the vast majority are Because I'm a woman, I know I'm attracting women. The vast majority of my audience are women. And I love that because I have so many women who stopped me to say I didn't know what to do until I met you, or took your class or read your book Get good with Money.
Speaker 3: And because for women John what.
Speaker 1: I find that it's a confidence issue, not a competence issue.
Speaker 3: And so they're needed to see like, oh.
Speaker 1: If Tiffany can do it, this is another woman like I have the ability, I just didn't know what to do, and she's showing me step by step.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, I think just go back to break another taboo. You know.
Speaker 5: You you said some about your dad, who's an economists. I believe as well who talked he was.
Speaker 1: A financial and he was a CFO, a chief financial officer. But he has his master's in economics.
Speaker 4: Like I said, an economists.
Speaker 5: You know, there's an old saying that if you want, if you want to find a good woman, an easy place to find a good woman is find a woman who had a great relationship with her dad. You want to find a good man, an easy place to find a good man is to find a man who had a great relations with his mother. And now, yeah, there are exceptions every role, without question, but that that's an easy like a low hanging fruit. So she had a great relationship and still has with her dad. And I think there's a compliment her mother actually for nurturing that, allowing that, facilitating that and without with regard to women, without women to be a lot less men. Only women can create life. And in nineteen seventy two, a woman couldn't get a bank account in America or a credit card. Yeah, couldn't get a loan unless her husband co signed it, and I would again. I go into a great deal of detail about this, as I used women as a proof point in my new book Capitalism for All. I use it as a proof point that diversity and inclusion are not moral issues or money issues. Is take the emotions out of it. This is just good economics. Women were not allowed in the economy, and when black people's affirmative action triggered the women's movement that got codified by Nixon as president in nineteen seventy two nineteen seventy four, the economy grew because women were in it. And today women are eight to ten trade dollars of a thirty three dollars economy, a third Where we be Where would we be fifty years before, fifty years later if we had not included women, because white women then triggered the inclusion of Black women, Asian women, Latino women, all women, we'd be We'd be a we wouldn't be the biggest economy.
Speaker 4: In the world. We'd be an also ran nation.
Speaker 5: And because China's twenty trillion, give I think twenty trading and approaching that, but we're thirty trading. We're only that because of that advantage of women. And that's the message I have for folks today is is you're not doing me a favor right by by by by including the least of these gods children, you're doing yourself a favor because my frisch, my rich friends, my poor friends do better only to stay rich. So women are the only undeniable market tests.
Speaker 4: The results are in.
Speaker 5: We don't need to speculate fifty years history of what happens when you diversify.
Speaker 4: The economy and it is led by women. And I think, and so I think it's brilliant.
Speaker 5: That you you got this book that really highlights and brings up their dignity and this teaching inspiration around that. A lot of your comments that your endorses online are women who just herald how.
Speaker 4: This made them feel.
Speaker 5: It's not not not sure, it's how when it taught them that's important, but how it made them feel they can do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly that like all that I do. It's not to your point. I mean, because money is money, obviously, you know. And so so one I wrote Get Good with Money, it was really about trying to get people to achieve what I like to call financial holeness. That's the teacher in me. Right, that's the curriculum, right, that financial hollness are these ten steps, you know, So these ten steps that if you can master these ten steps, even if you don't make a ton of money, you don't become a million or whatever, you can be okay, you you will have a holistically strong financial life. So it's the foundation. Yeah, the foundational five are budgeted savings, debt, credit, income, and then comes investing.
Speaker 3: For both wealth and retirement.
Speaker 1: It is insurance, your net worth, your financial team, and estate planning if you master those ten things. So for John, for like twenty year old John, a state planning might look like, I don't know, like your mom or your dad, whoever raised you is the.
Speaker 3: Beneficiary on a bank account, you know. But for forty six year.
Speaker 1: Old Tiffany, now, a state planning looks like trust and a will. And so even if you're twenty, you could steal a state plan and even you know, so at every step of these steps it looks different, but you can achieve and master those steps where you are, and you can achieve financial homeness. And so when I wrote it, I knew there was going to hit a nerve. But it's sold like four hundred thousand copies. So even my publisher was like, what I'm like, But I knew. I said, people need step by step handholding help. How do I do these things? And so the softcover book comes out the thirty first, it'll probably be out by the time this comes out. The hardcover book was out, came out in twenty twenty one. Yeah, but eight weeks on the New York Times bestsellers list. And it's really like some of my greatest work of walking people through, step by step to whatever their financial journey it is.
Speaker 3: It meets you where you are and takes you where you want to go.
Speaker 4: Right, So new edition of your book people can pick.
Speaker 1: Up, Yes, the soft cover version of Getting Money, so less money because you know hardcovers costs more.
Speaker 4: So nose yes, yes, So everybody please go pick up her book Money.
Speaker 5: So you're in the pull pit of hope. You're in there. You're in the church of what's happening now? And what have you done for me lately? This is the ministry of finance. I'm gonna let you go for seven minutes. What do you have uninterrupted? I know you can do it. I've heard you speak for what in the message do you have uninterrupted? Somebody gives you a pulpit and say, preach into this audience and give them the tools they need to go into twenty twenty six, which is going to be a very interesting year.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to say this that I so I'm going to start with the story that I unfortunately lost my husband in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: He was forty one years old.
Speaker 1: He had a brain aneurism, and so he was literally here on Monday, going on Friday, like just like that, called me to say thank you that he had a headache and that he was going to the hospital, which I can chuckle about now because my husband, I'm like so many men love to go to the dagone doctor. I mean, his pinky told her he was going to the doctor. So I didn't really think anything of it. I thought, a headache and go into the emergency room. Okay, babe, but I'll meet you there. It turned out it was an aneurysm, but the doctors were very confident. They said, you know, he's talking, he's awake, it hasn't burst. He's gonna be fine. They did the surgery, they said it it went well, and then it didn't. He started bleeding and then he just fell into a coma and just never awoken. And so that fundamentally shifted how I thought about money and what I want to share when I think about the the what is the real reason behind like wealth and growing money? And for me, I used to think like more was more, you know, like I worked really hard to build this business from zero. I don't have any any no one ever backed me, no one ever gave me any money.
Speaker 3: I built from scratch, you know, and I.
Speaker 1: Worked really hard. And I remember he would always be like, oh, babe, we have enough, because I'd be like, I want a bigger house. We could get this, We could have that. I met him in my twenties and we got married in our thirties.
Speaker 3: I was a preschool teacher and he was a maintenance man. I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: And then we met up again in our thirties and I always thought he was really cute and we started dating, fell in love, and got married. And in that time frame, I remember him saying he wanted to have a house.
Speaker 3: He grew up in Newark, New Jersey. His father was in his life.
Speaker 1: His mother raised him and his twin brother and his sister and He was just one of the most stand up guys and candidly. My husband never made over sixty thousand dollars a year. There were moments in business where I could take home not even a business make, I could take home over sixty thousand dollars in a month. And he never made over sixty thousand dollars a year. He was a super at Newark Tennants Council, which was they own, not New.
Speaker 3: York Tennis Council. I'm sorry, NewYork Housing Authority.
Speaker 1: They owned like public housing in Newark, and he was a super of three hundred units, and so it doesn't pay a bunch, you know.
Speaker 3: But I just remember when he passed.
Speaker 1: Away, collectively he left me and my bonus daughter seven figures, and yet I think people don't understand that. So I'm sharing all this to say the importance of financial education. Jarrell, his name is Jarrelle Smith, was really big on I want to make sure I have enough life insurance for y'all. He worked for the city essentially and had a pension.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: He changed the beneficiaries over to myself largely, and myself and Alyssa. He had purchased this property from the city for ten thousand dollars. We had it renovated. And when he passed away, I had a property and I told Alyssa, then this will be your property. Sold it to his twin brother, who now has his own property that has now appreciated. So now and now the money that I got from that property, I invested for Alissa.
Speaker 3: She was fifteen when he passed. She's nineteen.
Speaker 1: Now that money has grown exponentially. It is waiting for her. So when she graduates college, she's in school. Now she can buy her own property or start a business.
Speaker 3: But do you.
Speaker 1: See, so I'm sharing the that financial education is not always about like I'm gonna get rich, that's great.
Speaker 3: It's about creating.
Speaker 1: An atmosphere for you to be able to take care of yourself and leave a strong financial legacy for your family. I know so many women who lose their husband and their house, you know. But because of Drell, I was able to get my second property and pay.
Speaker 3: For it, you know.
Speaker 1: And I'm wanting access to culturally aligned financial education for everyone because some of the things, certainly I taught him, but some things he knew before I got here. And so what would that look like in our families, if everyone was able to pass on wealth like tangible wealth like that to.
Speaker 3: The people when they're no longer here. He did not think he was not going to be here at forty one, you know.
Speaker 1: And so not only did we get to pass on this wealth for Alissa, my bonus daughter, but also she gets financial education matched to that.
Speaker 3: You know, she and I.
Speaker 1: She's living with me right now while she's in school. She and I talk about money all the time she's working. We talk about what savings looks like. Should she open a credit card because one that lump sum hits her after she graduates, she's going to be ready. I already connected a LISTA to my personal financial advisor. They speak at least annually so she can map out her plan so she doesn't waste that money when it comes to her. And so I can't want for myself and not want the same thing for you. I want, yes, for you to have access to money and resources, but not only just that, but the knowledge of what to do with it if you get it, because money without knowledge is brokeness that money will flow right through your hands. They have done so many studies that show people who win the lottery are typically broker a year later, because if you don't know how to manage money, it will actually do more damage than not having it at all. And so I'm just so grateful that John has allowed me to come here. Yes, I wrote good good would get good with money to be able to give you step by step guidance. But I decided very long ago that I wanted to live my life and service to others. And I think people think service needs Brokeness Well, I'm not broke. I'm wealthy. I've grown wealth for myself. I don't have to work anymore. So let's let's get that out of like so you can be of service. You can help good people, you can do good work, and you can make good money. I'm a testament to that I do not compromise on my integrity when it comes to being of service to the people that I serve. What I want for you is what I have for myself. I want you to have access to resources. I want you to have access to knowledge. I want you to have access to community. I want you to be able to build the life that you desire using money as one of the tools, because we don't know how long we have here, and I want you to have life, live life fully on your terms.
Speaker 3: And so you know that that is a legacy. I hope to leave when it's my time, not to be here anymore.
Speaker 4: So thank you, John, thank you.
Speaker 5: And it's inspiring. It's not the it's not the sermon I thought you'd give, but it's the one that everybody needed. It was right on time, and you're giving Peven a lot of dignity. You know, rainbows only follow storms. You cannot have a rainbow without a storm. First, you can't grow accept the legitimate suffering. And clearly you've grown. Clearly you've found purpose and meaning through the pain and found purpose and prosperity. And and there's enough between making money and building wealth. And you know, wealth is also a mindset. And I was at a closing comment. I was in the last two days at two different well sorry, the last two days yesterday and the day before, at two different fundraisers where I had a purpose role in the program. And there were you know, there were events, celebration events, but they were really fundraisers. And the organization Clarkland Aniversity, and then and then the Ace Awards of the Arts for honoring Bill Duke and spontaneously at both events, I said, you know what, My wife and I are in Operation Hope, are going to do X Y and Z Operations give you some program scholarships worth x Me and my wife are going to give a small contribution worth why. And I walked off back to my seat and finish my dinner. My point is I didn't have to worry about it, just like you said, I'd have to worry with that covering from my coming from my rent or my mortgage payment, or can I make can I get it? Can I make ends meet? All money is his freedom, all it is. And I've got enough freedom to be able to help myself and help everybody else too if I want to.
Speaker 4: And so is Tiffany, and she wants that for you.
Speaker 5: She she wants you to be able to have self actualization, have agency in your life. And we live, whether you like it or not, in an economic world. It's a capitalist democracy. If you don't believe that, look at the last election. People are making making decisions based on their pocketbook, their budget, or the perception of what's right for their wallet.
Speaker 4: And we have got to get our morals and our money back in alignment.
Speaker 5: And I think that what you are doing and the way in which you're going about it, heart first, head attached is directly in line with that, and I commend you. I can encourage everybody to go buy your book and support your organization because as you're they're supporting you, clearly you're supporting everybody else. So it's a multiplier effect. Ladies and gentlemen, it's been an hour with the budgetiesa on Money and Wealth. Spare to share this with your friends. Find her mother, Get this to her mother.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be bad.
Speaker 3: I talk about my daddy too much.
Speaker 4: In the world.
Speaker 5: Money and Wealth with John O'Brien is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from the Black Defect podcast Network, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.