Speaker 1: Hey, look Chuck Berry's pants. It's one more thing. I'm strong and one more thing. One of the good things about the Republican Convention in twenty sixteen when we went and Trump was the guy, and so we got to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which I'd always wanted to go to all my whole life. I found it underwhelming.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it. I wouldn't go again. I wouldn't go to any trouble to go again. If I was with somebody wanted to, I'd go with them. But it was it was fine.
Speaker 1: It's about Yeah, that's about it. It was fine. It was better than not doing anything that day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for one day, I'm more rock guy than you, I think.
Speaker 1: But I'm not knowing if that had anything to do with it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, my memories of it, there are a few things that it gave me a bit of a charge. But again, it was fine. It's a it's a tourist attraction.
Speaker 1: To draw tour what what is some of It's kind of cool? What are we hearing Jelly roll singing here?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: What is he? He's a guy? Ozzy Osborne's classic Mama, I'm Coming Home and Ozzy Osbourne got put into the Hall of Fame, but is unable to sing. Could be or something, It doesn't matter. Here we go all right if you like that sort of thing, I guess. And uh, here's Sharon. Whytt's so hard for her to get She just got into the rock and Roll Hall of Fame for some reason?
Speaker 2: Here we go away. Sure, how's easier getting divorced from two men than it was to get into the rock and roll Hall of Fame? You know?
Speaker 1: So I I have just been really lucky and I have had number one for seven decades, which surprises me.
Speaker 2: Because I'm a good singer. You know, I'm a good singer. I'm not a great singer, but you know what, I'll take good. That's an old lady rambling about something.
Speaker 1: What is the joke it was easier to get divorced from two men than to get into the rock and roll Hall of Fame?
Speaker 2: It was just a poor attempted humor.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you're younger. Does share have any meaning for you in your life?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Look, it's you know, as I said, uh, you know, tritely and idiotically a moment ago. It's a tourist attraction. That's trying to attract tourists. They needed more gay guys in their forties, that's what that's what that is is. So you get in a share it's a fine song stress, that's right.
Speaker 1: If you got a whole bunch of bands that all get the same kind of guy, then you're not going to have any any tourists. But you have gay dudes who go just to see Shares outfits, They'll probably have a bunch of Shares outfits that I could see that being the biggest draw on the tired in the entire damn place.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, yeah, I've you know, I've hated the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I don't hate it. I just thought it was stupid for a long time, partly because of what I said about Taurus and the other thing. It's just Yon winner of the Rolling Stone magazine in his East Coast mostly music critty critic buddies who just they have a particular taste and it's just I don't know they and they didn't let Rush in for like twenty years, which is idiotic. The greatest band ever existed because critics hate Rush shaded. He didn't realize that's why he hates the rock and roll hall, so his favorite band didn't get in, So that's okay, But it's in defensively the fourth biggest album act ever. They don't get in because freaking New York skinny ty wearing chain smoking a whole, don't like rush F you f you Yes, stupid twits. Anyway, do you guys want to hear Share sing?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No? No? All right?
Speaker 1: Was that a rhetorical question?
Speaker 2: I'd rather listen to Joe yell this is great. Go ahead, play a little Michael. I don't. I don't give a crap.
Speaker 1: Solid all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was right the first time.
Speaker 1: She is an old woman. Now, yeah she sings like an old woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good lord. No, wonder if Sonny hit that tree that was that's distasteful?
Speaker 1: You think he Well, they'd been divorced for a long time. It would have been odd to ski into a tree on purpose.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I don't understand your psychological assessment of the late congressman.
Speaker 1: That was the video that she had the assless chaps on the aircraft carrier.
Speaker 2: The cruise ship. Yeah, literally swimming I'm not cruise ship, troop ship. Literally swimming after troop ships.
Speaker 1: And we all learned. Words are like weapons. They wound sometimes, is what we learned.
Speaker 2: All that as well, this neat So the class of nineteen eighty six was the first R and R. Hof class included Little Richard, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Robert Johnson is an early influenced Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers, Fats Domino, Sam Cook, Ray, Charles James Brown, Chuck Berry.
Speaker 1: Wow. So that's like the first Hall of Fame class for baseball. That's Ty Cobb, Babe, Ruth, you know that whole list. I mean, it's just like, yeah, of course these people have to.
Speaker 2: Be in right, the cream of the cream of the crop. But let's skip ahead. I don't know, chosen at random twenty twenty two, Carly Simon, Okay, Lionel Ritchie Rocker, Pat Bennettar and their husband Neil Giralda oh is a big part of the band.
Speaker 1: I don't understand the term rock and roll. I guess as part of it. What do they just call it? The Music Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Well, Dolly Parton, famous rocker, was inducted in twenty twenty two uh judas Priest Musical Excellence, as opposed to performer. I don't even know what that is. A bunch of executives. Alan Grubman got the am Artigon Award. Congratulations, Rhythmics, fine crafters of fairly original pop. There for a little while, they had some great songs.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'm fine with all that. I like Leonel Ritchie, I, I like a lot of this stuff, But I just don't understand what rock and roll means. Eminem Duran Squared, Eminem, Bella Fontine Rocker, Eminem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I what, ever.
Speaker 1: The most interesting thing I've learned about music recently. You brought to us a couple of weeks ago that when you hear a song from the fifties and they talk about dancing, they mean sex. Ever since then, every time I hear one of these songs like Wow, okay, I want to dance with you all night long. When I was a kid, I was like, man, these people like dancing. I mean, I don't like dancing that much, and I don't know anybody who likes that, but these people really really like dancing.
Speaker 2: A large percentage at the time, Yes, they don't mean dancing, they mean blanking. Now, if they say rock you, that's one hundred percent means blank you, I.
Speaker 1: Want to rock you all night long?
Speaker 2: Sure, please? A child like a hurricane. No, no, it's not getting a baby to sleep. No, indeed, it's it's just you change a couple of letters and you get what they're really talking about. And I find it disgusting.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what seems you do you like today, Joe? But it seems kind of almost nothing. I mean, I'm not I'm not, you know, a prude who denies the reality of being a young man. But a song that basically just says, man, I'd like to have sex with you is not very artistic, so I'm glad they use some euphemisms. She's hot, I'd like to have sex with her is the name of this song. And then I'll just repeat it over and over again. What is that kidding? So and all the other guys?
Speaker 2: So whatever, Yeah, looking at this year's class whatever that means, I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is the title. Just call this one Joe's Onui will be the name of this podcast.
Speaker 2: A tribe called Quest really really interesting musically, just trying to draw in a different constituency. I get it now, Like I've been to the country mus school and the gang. Right.
Speaker 1: The Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville that I've been to is fantastic. I loved that. I didn't get much out of the rock and Roll Hall of Fame for some reason. Songwriters Hall of Fame is very cool. The museum they've got up in Seattle, the whatever it is a Purple Experience or whatever they call it, because that's Jimmy hendricks hometown. But it has really got some really cool stuff too, not just Hendricks, just all kinds of different stuff.
Speaker 2: Now, what if they call it the Museum of Pop Culture Now or something? I do not know. Yeah, so, Katie, the coolest stuff at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and this is Gone now is a special exhibition was in the style the font of Pink Floyd's The Wall album. All the cover art was Roger Waters explaining why he wrote that, and it was about how he'd become this giant rock star. And at one point there was like a net separating them from the crowd, like down below, and a guy was climbing up the net, and for some reason he spit on the guy and he had this enormous moment of oh my god, what have I become? And so he wrote a story about a guy seduced by fame and fortune in drugs who'd become this fascist monster that sickened himself. And I thought, wow, because that's always been one of my favorite albums. And they liked that.
Speaker 1: That's the one cool thing and they took that out.
Speaker 2: I think. So I'd love seeing Joe Strummer's telecaster because I'm a huge clash freak. And then the only other thing that left an impression was some of Keith Richards and Mick Jagger's stage clothing that they used to swap clothes with their girlfriends because they all had like twenty three inch waists. Yeah, they were tiny, skinny little fellas. Speed and cigarettes will do that, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And pre McDonald's so, why did dude spit on the guy? Why did he do that?
Speaker 2: Because he'd become a monster that he didn't recognize. But well, I kind of sick with his own power and cynicism.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's hard to imagine getting to a point you'd spit on your fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of your own fans. Yeah, Well, it's sickened him, of course. Now he's endorsing Vladimir Putin, so Rogers not always at the best judgment.
Speaker 1: We were in I think we're in Idaho, and we kept seeing signs for the Onion Hall of Fame, and I kept threatening the kids that we were going to go there.
Speaker 2: Look, hey, hey, pipe down back there, or I'll take you to the Onion Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Look, my job as a dad is to expose you to a lot of different things. It going to be a great learning experience. I kept hammering this for a long time. They talked for sure I was going to make them go to the Onion Hall of Fame. We stayed in the night nearby, and so we got to get up early because the Onion Hall of Fame, I'd looked it up. It opens at eight, and I want to get there before it gets crowded. I doubt it ever gets crowded. Yeah, you gotta go. It opening right when it opens otherwise. Yeah, it's just you don't have to wait long for two hours to get it into the Onion Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Lessiers Clash includes a pound and a half of Dalia onion and a red onion that's said to have the finest flavor profile of the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't allow grilled onions in until twenty fifteen, and that was a huge controversy.
Speaker 2: Oh I remember, I remember, well.
Speaker 1: Join us next time.
Speaker 2: When Joel Air his complains about Chane restaurants of the nineteen nineties, well I guess that's it.