Speaker 1: Welcome in Tumble Bears Weekly, Chicago Bears Network production download the Chicago Bears Official at brought to you by Verizon to follow the team on the go. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Beth Rivers, CD Dowing.
Speaker 2: Connie's Pizza, and Miller Liked.
Speaker 1: Now it's time for Bears Weekly with the Voice of the Bears, Jeff SHODYA tonya on the New Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Well metum building towards the start of the twenty twenty three NFL season with Phase three of the offseason program getting out Away this week up at Hallisall. It's ota season and we're here to break it down tonight on Bears Weekly. Here on ESPN Chicago one thousand and the Bears Radio Network. Good to have you alongside. I'm Jeff Jonahack and as always my broadcast partners Tom Thayer and from Serious XMNFL Radios moving the change former Bears quarterback Jim Miller. We're here until seventh tonight. Our producers Dan Brilly, Jordan Treadip, William Bridgeforth, and we're also joined by Executive producer Bears Radio Network, Eric Ostratski. Thank you for taking care of business at the PN one thousand studios. Fellas, how we feel in Tommy, you're almost back. You get a couple couple of days left in MAUI will be looking forward to it and get you out there at some OTAs. But you've heard about it, You've read about it. You know exactly what goes into these things, and I will say the optimism is high just watching everybody pretty good turnout too well.
Speaker 4: You know, optimism from the other side of the desk or the podium where the players and coaches are being interviewed are different from those of us that look at it from the.
Speaker 2: Front of the table, because you know this is a second time.
Speaker 4: Around for Matty Eberflus. We all have a better understanding what he's about. I think they brought in some free agents. I love listening to Edmunds. I think he's a super talented football player, but he means as much in the locker room, and so I think you have to you know, the expectations have to be increased significantly, Jeff. There's no way that because they were three and fourteen, you can't have that mentality going in at the start of OTAs. Everything has to be expectations, you know, of division winning football team that you're gonna come out here and you're going to turn this thing around quickly, improvements significantly in some key positions, and we'll see how it goes. But I like listening to Matt, and I like listening to the other players at the podium.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jim, this is not a typical three and fourteen team coming back because so many games were close last year. The feeling was very strong in that locker room. There was competitiveness, guys undrafted fighting for jobs. Those guys now are in year two fighting for jobs again and maybe walking around with a little bit of chest out that Hey, you know what, I earned a few stripes last season in my NFL? Is that all fair? You've been on teams that haven't done well and come back the next year and have really stormed everybody. Do you do you since despite some still areas of need here, that this could be that type of team?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think this team, you know, they're not starting from square one, you know, that's for sure. They've laid a foundation. There is an expectation. They know, as Tom said, going into the second year of Matt everflus what those expectations are, and now you can quick you know, quickly bring the other players along who they drafted and anybody knew in free agency. They'll pretty much fall in line pretty quickly because everybody else has that base underneath them of what the expectation is, how the practice, how the meetings go, all the routines that have been put in place last year. So it could should go much quicker, but in the same sense, you're still starting from square one, because every year is a new year. You know, it starts over the install from the play, the techniques, how they're done, all that to Yeah, will be repetitive, but that has to be you know, gone over with a fine tooth comb so that guys understand what they need to do to execute. And so you know, it's you know, it's a lot of hard work, it's a lot of effort, and hopefully it's worth it to all those players because I think they understand where they want to get to.
Speaker 3: We bring this up every year with OTAs the value of them. The union obviously is adjusted and agreement with the NFL on off season work and how much you can do and how intense it can be. But I was talking with Jimbo Colvert at practice yesterday. The Hall of Fame left tackle was there observing, and I just let them go. Man, it was fun to talk to another offensive lineman with his opinions on how things are done today. But you know, he was talking about his time Tommy and Jim in the mid eighties and into the early nineties. You know, there was no OTA program. Obviously we've discussed that with you guys in the past. But he goes, these guys they need this, and he was impressed by the type of drills, the intensity of the drills, the speed of the drills, the different types of things. Even saw the offensive lineman doing with the medicine ball, hitting it back and forth using quickness of hands. He goes, he kept saying, interesting, Interesting, I like that. I like that, and I like it too.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 3: I do think it's important to get these guys acclimated. And yes, there's gonna be a month of day Tommy after mid June until mid July, and you'll have to refresh again. But just to get them get their feet wet and bring them together, ninety guys to get to know each other and get to know what the expectations are to practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know the thing about OTAs, especially a seasoned you know X NFL player like Jimbo Cobra, Hall of Fame and one of the greatest players in the NFL the minute he walked into the building.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we didn't have OTAs, but we also went through a month and a half of double day sessions eight full past So I would take the alternative. If I was a modern day player, I would rather go to OTAs to have the training camps that these guys go through, because I think you have a chance to get stronger, put more effort into the weight room, and be prepared when the regular season starts. Whereas we went through an atmosphere in Plattville that we were beat up so badly at the end of training camp, you know, and then you don't have any time for recovery. So, you know, Jimbo's a unique guy because you know, you think of Jimbo Kobert being a Hall of Fame left tackle, and you think about all the different structures.
Speaker 2: Jimbo played left tackle out of a right handed stance.
Speaker 4: He didn't, you know, it wasn't There's always a change the balance and your push off league is going to be different in all these little changes that they try to make to college players.
Speaker 2: It's not a necessity. You know, you go and you do it.
Speaker 4: But Jimbo Kobert, the reason he's in the Hall of Fame and what he was able to accomplish in that position. You know, he's he's one of the oddities, but he's also one of the best.
Speaker 3: Jim At the same time, he had a top coach, did Gey in Dick stanfell into it though, this is what I'm going to do, and they didn't necessarily let even the footwork drills. He said, hey, you know, how about how about something a little different that we did over at pitt And eventually some of that trickled into the to the plan. But I would imagine it's a harder sell for today's young players to make that kind of a pitch to a coach or a position coach.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, well, especially when you don't have any experience plane you know, it's hard for coach to buy into that. But you know, this part of the year, it is so important because everything's alignment an assignment. Yeah, they're not out there hitting. Yeah, it's still intense, but this is where you go over all the different looks. You know, as Tom knows, you know you're going to have an outside zone run that could be run against multiple fronts or what if the defense stunts, or what if they slant a certain way or they pinch or all these things that they can do, and you're trying to get all those assignments and how they can change for the same play. It still maybe outside zoned run thirty six, but is blocked differently against all those different fronts, whether it's an over, whether it's an under, and so it's more assignment driven to where you know your assignments and what you're going to do. Of course you're working on your techniques as well, but that those techniques really don't come in to play until you put the pads on. You know, where you can get all these reps and now you hope all that technique kicks in that you know from the red site reps that you've gained in OTAs and it really hopefully will carry over.
Speaker 3: Jim, one of the things I noticed yesterday and Tommy is that the communication between players, forget about the coaches for a minute, was very different than a year ago. The veteran players, even a guy like Chase Claypoole trying to explain a couple of things to Robert Tunyan the new tight end, and I written, Justin was very very different approach, meeting guys off the field, putting his arm around the guys talking, talking the offense. They're talking business, the business on the field, and that was that's a very strong direction that they're taking right there.
Speaker 5: Jim, Yeah, I think you know all those things. You know for Robert Tanian, maybe it's a certain look or a certain coverage defensively and say it's a two man, all right, and you say he's supposed to take the middle read, but maybe he's got the option on two man to turn it out, which is a good way to get uncovered in that specific coverage where he may look like he's taken the middle. All of a sudden he makes a sharp book and maybe Justin's going over something like that. I'm just using this as an example. Hey man, we get that two man coverage again, This is what I'm expecting, especially if that guy's right in your trail hip of your pocket. Here's a good way that we can uncover. But we've got to be on the same page. We've got to read it the same way and see it the same way. And that's those are the things you're communicating of maybe certain expectations versus coverages or fronts or whatever.
Speaker 7: It could be.
Speaker 5: Anything that they're discussing offensive lineman, two tight ends, or offensive line to quarterback, you name it, all those discussions. This is a great place for it to happen and unfold.
Speaker 3: Hey, Tom, real quick, I got to tell you, the offensive line is the law is the tallest. I can't remember any listening to these numbers now, and everybody was talking about it on the sideline yesterday, even jimbo So, Darnelle Wright six ' five, Dieter Iceland six y four, six ' six, Josh lug He's out of Notre Dame, undrafted rookie free agent, six ' eight, roy and Betetica out of Nigeria. You got a six ' five Braxton Jones. You got a six five and seven eighth USC undrafted Robert Haskins tackle. You got a six y five Alex Leatherwood. Lorenz Metz he is six ' nine three sixteen playing guard at Cincinnati. Out of Cincinnati, a six six ' five. Larry Borham a six almost sixty six Tevin Jenkins, a six to seven Kelendish, an undrafted player a year ago that came to the Bears out of Arizona State, and a six six Gabriel Houey out of Pittsburgh. What is going on?
Speaker 2: You better have bendability.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: The height doesn't impress me because it's not. It doesn't all sudden make you a good offensive lineman. And if you're running to the line of scrimmage in your six whatever, if you don't have vendability and striking power and feet and balance.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes that can be a detriment to your success.
Speaker 4: If you play tall out of your stance and all of a sudden, you're losing leverage to these guys and then you're getting pushed around. So it's something you know, Yeah, obviously there's guys all over the NFL that aren't getting bigger and stronger and all that stuff. But you know, you better accompany weight room strength with that type of height. And so I don't mean to be a downer. I'm just saying you better to put your athleticism on display if you're going to bring in, you know, guys that are that tall.
Speaker 3: Coming up next, one of those offensive linemen first team left guard at the moment, Tevin Jenkins and joined the program with Tom Bayer, Jim Miller, Jeff Joniak. This is Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand and the Chicago Bears Radio Network. Welcome back, everybody to Bears Weekly here on esp in Chicago and one thousand and the Bears Radio Network. Jeff Joniyak joined by Tevin Jenkins, the third year offensive lineman for the Chicago Bears. I mean it goes fast, my friend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 8: I mean just yesterday I felt I just got drafted, especially with the draft just came back in a couple of weeks ago. You know, it's like a lot of feelings happen when it happens. But uh, looking back at it, now ton does really obob very fast, like it's it doesn't. It doesn't slow down for anybody, but you know, like had it happened in the blink.
Speaker 6: Of an eye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it forces you and only to adjust to a new lifestyle, a new environment. But maturity, I mean you got to you gotta be a man in a hurry in this league, don't you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, especially like coming with now you know we're trying to be more of a vanced football team and war last year. You know, you gotta mature a lot faster than you think, and I'm trying to fill that role where they can, where it could be accountable.
Speaker 3: We often refer to year three as a takeoff yere for guys rookies. You know, when you come in, you get your feet wet, you get adjusted. Second year, you make a rise started games, and now the year three is taken. Do you look at it the same way if they've impressed upon you this year three's takeoff here?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 8: For me, ultimately, I like to think it as my approval year, and I would assume everybody around me was think the same. And for me for this year, I'm expecting big things out of myself and so as the people in the front office and everybody around me.
Speaker 3: Can you outline it a little bit about your own expectations.
Speaker 8: Uh, expectations is to you know, last year, I feel like I gave up too many pressures, even like too many sacks. My goal for this year is always going to be zero sacks for myself in the old line. But going into this year, I just wanted to be a dominant force and somebody that could be accountable for my team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know the running aspect of things though too. I mean, everybody focuses on past protection. Obviously we got this dynamic quarterback here justin fields you want to protect. But I mean, you guys led the league in a rushing in large part to what he did, but also on large part to what you guys did up front. Is that still a point of emphasis? I know coach Eberflus is changing things up a little bit in the OTAs and how you go about fitting up in the run game just to walk through as opposed to the way they did it last year, and he still making that emphasis. Do you feel that too, that they want to put it on you guys on the offensive line?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, you know, we pride ourselves in our run game. You know that's gonna be our bread and butter. Basically, it's going to be who we are. It's how we set the tone. And the thing is, even though we led the league in rushing last year, we feel like we lost We left a lot out on the field last year, like we could have been a lot better than we were. There's certain things on the outside zones, inside zones that that could be fixed technique wise and instead of it could have been seven yard game could have been like forty. Now we had like two thousand yard rushers to set one like we could have had four thousand yards intead of three thousand, Like we could have been a lot better than we were.
Speaker 3: And we're with Tevin Jenkins bears up through to your offensive lineman making the switch as of right now, I'm right to the left side of the offensive line. It's not so simple for the layman to say, it's just you know, you're playing off Explain the differences.
Speaker 8: Difference is you know, once your body gets conformed and comfortable to a certain side, like with your footwork, when you start putting it towards the other side, it's like a whole new thing because now you got to shift your weight. Your muscles are used to going a certain way and pushing off a certain foot, so now you're basically doing that all over again to the other side. Now you're getting a little sore on your knees because wow, like I haven't pushed off this knee and since a couple of years ago, and now you're gonna start working it. And now you also have a new guy next to you because he wasn't gonna be on the same side because you got moved. So now instead of working right tackle with my right tackle, now I gotta work with my left tackle. So it's a whole different game going on there. And there's a whole bunch of communication wise that we got to get used to with each other as well.
Speaker 3: And he's learning too. You're referring to Braxton Jones, a kid who just impresses me every second I talked to him. We had him on and I think last week on our show, and just so such a delightful young man and cares about the game in a way that is almost rare. I mean, he just you know, you can hear it. You can hear the wheels turning. He's constantly trying to work on every little aspect of his game, which you know, this is a fleeting opportunity. When you think about a career in the NFL. If you can get to ten years, you know you've done well. How do you look at him and how you're going to help each other Braxton.
Speaker 8: Jones, I see him as a grateful player first and foremost, you know, I see him one dude who comes in and wants to work at the minute details that will make him not only a great player, but like an amazing player, Like I could see the potential in them myself and seeing what he can be and how much I can help him along with how much he can help me. You know, it's back and forth between guards and tackles. So as soon as I could be able to earn that trust in him that I could do it and he can trust me to be there on any slide sides, any double teams, I feel like we're me and him.
Speaker 6: We're gonna have a great year.
Speaker 3: He's a nice guy. You're a nice guy. You guys are nice guys, but on Sundays, Thursdays, Monday nights, you're not nice guys. On the field. Yeah, he's a very physical player too, playing that left tackle position, especially when he fires off and gets in that run mode as well. Do you guys have a similar mindset now on that left side.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would like to think.
Speaker 8: So we have that that work work fund switch that always gets preached to us, even with or coach Morgan.
Speaker 6: Since we're on the radio, guys, you know, well, yeah.
Speaker 3: Some people don't know who seem away is right, So yes, Chris Morgan Chris Morgan.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, So when we're on the field, you know, we know that it's time to work. We got to be on our stuff, me and him going on double teams, ripping off the ball as fast as we can, because that's our motto on the whole line, like we're trying to be the fastest people off the ball, and if we can do that with me and Braxton, there's a lot of people that get moved a lot faster because we can definitely move a lot of people just me and him.
Speaker 3: It's Tevin Jenkins with us here on Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Ready a Network, Jeff Joniyak here. We'll rejoin Tom Thayer and Jim Miller in our next segment. What's different right now? What's different in this building? Some really talented players have come in by a way of free agency, trades and the draft. What's your perspective because you've been here for a couple of seasons.
Speaker 8: I say the perspective right now is very high. Of the people in the building. You know, we got a lot of optimistic views going on for us right now. We are very fine. We're getting fine Tooed in our techniques. We're getting great players. Like you said, we're trying to be all of our records we had last year, especially with the Russian record. You know, we have a lot of people that can and will do that this year, and I believe that we will go far.
Speaker 3: So on this offensive line. Right now, there are four drafted players not by this administration specifically, and while I look at Cody white Hair competing for that center job and the addition of Nate Davis at right right guard, Big Darnell at right tackle, I've always felt it was important to draft your offensive line and have that offensive line then grow, as opposed to a lot of free agent additions, even if they're veterans, it does take time to get chemistry. Is it cool that they're drafting their offensive line for the future. I mean it seems to be that's the case.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's actually very cool.
Speaker 8: I mean it's very hard to do that because you know, people like this is a veteran, like we want to bring in a big name guy.
Speaker 6: He's gonna help us out. But you know, it's hard. It's hard for front offices.
Speaker 8: I've had talked before with other people, you know, around the league in of course, you want to bring in your own guys. You want to draft them, bring them in. You know, you want to build them up yourself, which is amazing. It's a great thought, I mean, but it will come down to it. You know, they're gonna do what they think is best as bringing in free agencies.
Speaker 3: Why are you going to be better this season? Beyond the x's and O is the understand of the offense now for a second year having worked with with Justin Fields in the past, but just mentally, physically and how you approach the game. If I keep it something, you do whatever you have to do, my friend.
Speaker 8: Just keep it basic just because I need to. Yeah, they need me to. I need to for myself.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it hasn't been that way. Sometimes it hasn't been that way for you.
Speaker 8: And not keeping it basic, yeah, I mean, you know, I'd get to try to get to fancy with certain things, you know, and it just I just need to be who I am and that's what the team needs.
Speaker 3: Get the guy across from you and clear some space. Right It's been a big off season for you and our remaining moments here with Tevin Jenkins. Congratulations on your marriage. I know this. This woman has been a big part of your life. You brought her up many times and interviews that we've done and with the media. How cool was it and you guys are down in Dallas getting hitched.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was actually a lot of fun. You know.
Speaker 8: You know those stories that you hear about the groom doesn't do anything yet I didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't plan like anything.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: She told me to get certain things done. When out my way got it done. I made sure I got my own suit pay for that. You know, I did the things I had to do. You know, she made it like a wonderful thing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: I saw the venue. I was like, all right, I don't see the vision right now. But she's like, just wait, hold on, let's just just trust.
Speaker 6: Me, you know.
Speaker 8: And and so the day comes I'm going in there, I'm over blown away by you know, we have lights everywhere that it's always It was all one dude who made like the lights happen, like floral decorations, all this stuff.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 8: It was like we had a dance floor. It was really nice. There was like a little like farm land behind us. So they have like kind of like longhorns as well. So even if you take pictures like outside, you can get them in the background.
Speaker 6: We had like a nice little chap pastor Teddy, who's our team chaplain. Uh.
Speaker 8: He actually actually got him down there, and he got me and my wife married, so that was a nice thing. We we had those marriage talks with him and or like belief talks as well as all that. So we were more comfortable with him going with him because you know, we had those experiences that with him, so we felt more comfortable going with him instead of trying to find somebody down in Texas that we wouldn't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kept it in the family, and some teammates came down to I know Justin was there. I don't recall who else came down. But how did that make you feel?
Speaker 8: It made me feel really good inside that I actually have teammates that woul actually care to be there for me outside of football. Like you know, we we try to say we make great like teammates, great friends in the building, but once we get outside the building, are you still gonna be my friend?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 8: But it's great to see them come all the way down to Texas. I didn't mean I didn't expect him to, but just to see them do have the like contents of the art to come down there and actually be there for me and be there for my wife and my family in that moment.
Speaker 6: I'm very appreciative of it. Awesome. Why.
Speaker 3: I know it's a lot of work yet to get to a week one of this season, but I know everybody in the building is bubbling with optimism. It's a young team again, and the competition is going to be fierce. Last question, do you expect it to be that way a training camp all positions? I mean, there's a lot of young guys that played last year, and those guys you know they walk around I want to play now, right, but there's a whole bunch of new guys are going to try and take those jobs. So what do you what are your expectations of that during training camp?
Speaker 8: A lot of competition, I mean, this is what's going to be. I feel like eight year at the years, what it is like you got to keep on fighting for your job, earn the spot that you're getting, and earn the right to be on that field. I mean, even if I was like an eight year VET or something, I would want to just keep on fighting for my spot.
Speaker 6: No, matter what.
Speaker 8: I don't care if you just brought in so and so from somewhere else. This is your This is who you need to be on the field, fighting for your spot and your well.
Speaker 6: Good luck.
Speaker 3: It's going to be fun. Great to see you, like the big smile on your face. You relax, You're ready to roll.
Speaker 6: Thank you. I appreciate you having me our pleasure.
Speaker 3: Devin Jenkins our guest here on Bears Weekly. When we return, Jim Miller, Tom Thayer rejoined me will break down what's ahead for the Bears during this ota session of the season here on ESBO one thousand and the Bears Radio Network. Want VIP access to every Bears home game, Exclusive seating, sideline credentials, and more are now available to get the ultimate VIP fan package this season by visiting Chicago Bears vip dot com. Jeff Joniac Tom there. Jim Miller just heard the interview with offensive lineman Tevin Jenkins' overall thoughts will start with Tommy and head to Jimmy.
Speaker 2: You know what comes to my most. I like Tavin. I think he plays with a lot of power.
Speaker 4: But if you think of his throughout his time here, because you talked about being in this third year, there's been trade talks about him. He's had back issues. He's a positioned confusion because he was drafted to come in here and start at offensive tackle day one when they over assumed that he could play left tackle.
Speaker 2: But you know what I want for Tavin, this is all I want. I want a drama list year.
Speaker 4: I don't want any talk of just things behind the scenes. And if I think he can leave that in his rearview rear view mirror, and he said he calls an approve it year. If he can come out here and prove the reason that he's playing in the NFL was drafted at a high level. I think the better the offensive line will be better because of it. But I just don't want him to go to the podium and have weekly or semi weekly issues of distractions outside the game of football. If he can do that, Tevin Jenkins has an opportunity to be, you know, have a long successful NFL career and a long successful career here at the Bears.
Speaker 7: And I did.
Speaker 5: I liked what I heard from from Tevin. I agree with Tom. You know, he's not bouncing around anymore from from position to position, and he's healthy now and I think he wreckedgnize that and you heard it in that interview. He said, Hey, I just got to compartmentalize everything and keep it simple, you know, and what he'd played at the right guard position, now he's got to convert it over to the left side. He knows the assignments now, it's just the repetition's doing it, you know, a different way at left guard and how they need to be executed. So I think the kiss mentality keep it simple, stupid. I think it'll work fine for him and that'll maintain his focus. And I think that's what he's trying to do, and he kind of relayed that in the interview.
Speaker 3: Tom, Is it possible or has it been your experience from watching all these last two decades plus as an analyst that young players don't keep it simple as he referred to, you know, he wanted to keep it very simple and not try to invent new ways to do all things. Maybe that's what he was referring to.
Speaker 2: I mean, first of all, you have to know your assignus perfectly.
Speaker 4: When you break the huddle, you know every single responsibility that you could have during that whole play call, even if they went to the audible and yeah, just keep it keep what is going to be required of you? Simple. Yeah, there's times that you're going to have a more difficult assignment because of the structure of the play. But when he's working alongside of the center, in alongside of the left tackle, I think Kevin has all the traits to be a dominating interior offensive lineman.
Speaker 2: So that's what he has to do.
Speaker 4: Break the huddle with mental confidence, competence, and he'll be a more physical player.
Speaker 3: A couple of great highlights yesterday fellas justin Fields hanging in the pocket waiting for a double move to be executed by DJ Moore, his new number one receiver, and then perfect placement for Dj to make the catch, stumbled into the ground and held out to the football against Kendallville Door. It is a sign of what DJ is saying, getting to know his new quarterback.
Speaker 9: Just understanding the game within the game, so understanding the quarterbacks footwork on different plays, and just being in the right spot when he comes back if I'm on the backside, just knowing that hey, I'm the backside reader. If I'm in the front side, understanding his footwork for different stance so just honing in on.
Speaker 3: That and Fields emphasizing he feels great right now in year two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 9: You know it's the first you know season I'm going into where it's you know, my second year knowing the offense. So definitely feel you know, more comfortable in it just with my reads and stuff like that, you know, just seeing what the defense is doing and stuff like that. So, I mean, it's it's truly amazing when you just have that feeling going in kind of you know, knowing where your guys are going to be more comfortable with the footwork stuff. So you know, it's been great. Got to work on stuff in the off season of you know, what I need to work on and stuff like that. So yeah, just having that you know, second year experience from last year and stuff like that, just with the same offense, it's it's great.
Speaker 3: Jim exactly what you need to hear from your quarterback, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you should feel more comfortable, and I think we all know because Ryan Poles has talked about it. Matt Eberflu said he's speeding everything up. And if I were the coaches and anybody around there and justin Fields, I'd want to press that even more. What I mean by that is for the timing and rhythm of every play, because you heard DJ Moore talk about front side and then the timing could be different on the backside. I would want a buzzer on every single pass play, a buzzer going off to make sure that Justin knows, hey man, you didn't get this one out on time. And it's going to force him with that buzzer as a mental note that hey man, I got to speed things up, and he'll know when he didn't get the ball out on time, and when he did get the ball out on time, that should always marry up. And it's going to force him and remind him every single play pass play what I need to get better at dropping back, quick feet, timing, rhythm, get the ball out. And it's just a constant reminder that he should challenge himself on every single pass play, and the coaches should challenge him too.
Speaker 4: You know, after the offensive line giving off fifty five sacks last year, and Jeff you talked about the side of some of the incoming offensive lineman. The worst thing that can happen for Justin is immediate pressure by those big, tall offensive linemen because also that puts that, you know, ejection into your head. So the offensive line is as much responsible for the passing success as Justin. For Justin as him learning the offense better, and that's what the offensive lion has to do.
Speaker 3: But I like Jim's thinking. He's got He's got the NFL version of the new pitch clock in Major League Baseball. I love it. Here was the quote of the day yesterday though, Justin Fields on this being a big year for other reasons than just wins and losses and the insinuation about the potential contract that could follow with a successful season or not.
Speaker 9: I think every years a big year, Every years a big year. So I mean, yeah, I mean that's I don't really have anything to you know, you know, expand on that. But for me, every year's a big year, and I'm excited.
Speaker 7: To show in particular sticks.
Speaker 6: I'm not worried about contracts.
Speaker 9: I'm worried about wins. I could care less.
Speaker 3: So yeah, okay, that quote is going to live with him. I think fans, media, they're going to jump on that. Fans are going to appreciate it. I do like the conviction with which he delivered that. Tommy, Yeah, but I don't think we need to.
Speaker 2: Hear him say it.
Speaker 4: It's an obvious in the NFL for a quarterback drafted as high as Justin, with the type of athleticism, the different quality of traits he has, it is going to come down are you improving, is this team getting better?
Speaker 2: And is it relating to wins?
Speaker 4: And then Justin's going to get a kings ransom when that opportunity comes. I'm glad he's not dwelling on it because the players that do it kind of effects. Where are they, how are they performing? Are they making business decisions out on the field.
Speaker 3: And so I like what Justin said, Jim, it is a fair question to any quarterback right now, given the way the salaries are going. I mean, my goodness, you might want to start warming up that arm, buddy, warm it up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those things will take care of himself, and certainly Justin is a part of that. He has to take care of business. Right Look at what the Giants did. They didn't put the fifth year option on Daniel Jones. They said, hey, dude, we haven't seen enough, go prove it. And that's the way what he had to do. And I think that's all Justin has to do is just focus on what he needs to do, and that's to get better every single day. He's got all the talent in the world and that'll, you know, that'll all come to Bear when it's time to do those things.
Speaker 7: But he's got to take care of his business right now.
Speaker 3: That's Jim Miller TMP. Theyre I'm Jeff Joniya time for a break when we come back. An adjustment to the kickoff return rule in the NFL will get the reaction from coach iber Fluss and my partners here on Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network one. This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by CDW. People will get it. Tom Thayer, Jim Miller, and Jeff Joniak with you on Bear's Weekly. Good to have you alongside, all right, a lot of anger out there. Fella's a lot of anger from fans, no doubt. Special teams coordinators around the league. League weading meetings this week in Minneapolis, revealing a change in how the kickoff returns will be handled at least for one year. Anyway, to me, it eliminates a lot of exciting plays similar to NCAA rules a fair catch made before the twenty five puts it at the twenty five, no matter if you catch it on the five to ten, to fifteen. And what this will do initially, if I'm not mistaken, Jim, this whole thing was about discouraging touchbacks, and touchbacks have gone way up to begin with with the boss set at the twenty five, and then this would lead to what I would imagine are many different approaches we'll hear from coach Eberflus in a moment, but just your first overall reaction to it and then to Tom, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I personally don't like it.
Speaker 5: I think it's just another step closer to basically ridding the NFL of the kickoff return in general, the most exciting play in the game. Think of last year in Buffalo when DeMar Hamlin was back at the stadium and nihem Heims returns two in one game. That stadium was electric. Man, it was electric. So this is going to affect the game. You'll see more teams that don't really have good kick return ability that they'll just say, hey, fair catch every single one. You know, a team like Atlanta, because they've got Corderoll Patterson, they're probably still going to let him green light and bring it out whenever he can, and think about even the middle of the line guys. I talked to Brad Sealey yesterday, former NFL special teams coach. He said, you know, when I was in New England, we specifically drafted Matthew Slater for his special teams. We actually traded up to get him. And now if those become, you know, a run of the mill where the returns aren't happening, teams are going to gear it diffult differently. They won't be gearing it to draft kick returners, they won't be gearing it to draft kick coverage guys. So I understand it's the safety of the game, and we understand that for players, but you know, there are certain lines of work that are just more dangerous than others, and football is one of them. And I think to take one of the most exciting plays out of the game is for me, you know, because I'm more of a traditionalist.
Speaker 7: I think it's pretty sad.
Speaker 3: Quite frankly, Tom, I agree with that, and it's the counter opposite of what happened when Devin Hester emerged in his two thousand and six rookie season. Drafts after that, teams were loading up and figuring out ways to make that special Teams coverage unit significantly different, which is the total definition of what a Hall of Famer is, that you revolutionize the game in some fashion. And he was the best and will be the best ever. Because I don't see it going backwards. I don't see more returns in superstar returners emerging from this. Tommy, this is not well, not something I love to see.
Speaker 2: I think it's a garbage football decision. Whoever made it. I think it's ridiculous because you know, I I played that position.
Speaker 4: I was in the wedge from my first game in the NFL to my last game in the NFL, every single game, so I know what the collisions are like. But I know what the threat of having a guy like Willie Galt back there is to a team that's trying to put their fastest guys on kickoff coverage.
Speaker 2: So what are you going to do now?
Speaker 4: Encourage fair catches and then put a bunch of extra offense and defensive lineman on kickoff coverage because you.
Speaker 2: Know they're not going to return it anyways.
Speaker 4: So I just I just think it's it's ridiculous that you're taking away that the excitement, the excitement of that play from the fans, and I'm not for it.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's really going to decrease injuries, and so I don't know, you know how I feel about it, Jeff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And here's the caveat what what's next? What's the next most dangerous play? Is where it's going, because there's always going to be most dangerous play. And after you take out the kickoff return, what's next? Is it the punt return?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The punt catcher?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know. And you bring up a good point too, Jeff, what about players like Steve Tasker. I mean, that guy's pretty much a Hall of Famer in my mind with what he did, and he may get in I don't know, but guys like him, they're gonna go by the way of the Dodo Bert and there'll never be guys like him.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 3: Here's coach eber Flush yesterday on the topic.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a great question, you know. You know, I think it'll change tactically what teams are gonna do because the rule is in now there's nothing you can do about it, but it will change, you know. I think you'll get more squib kicks. I think you'll get more drop kicks, you know, more drive kicks, those types of things, and make guys return it.
Speaker 6: And I suspect you'll see more.
Speaker 10: Returns and less and but that's just what I'm thinking right now.
Speaker 3: But we'll see what happens. Thing he thinks more returns than fewer returns. And those squid kicks, though, can they get through the pick offence of eight guys? You know that's the other thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Brad Seely said it's tough to do a squid kick like that, but he already knows. He goes, here's what I would do. I would be top kicking the ball to like the or the eighteen or the nineteen yard line. Get that the next set of returners. So if the returners out back at the one, kick it to like the nineteen or the twenty, and you're still gonna have guys screaming down there. Granted that guy will have to decide whether he's gonna fair catch or not. That's what I don't understand. All those collisions are still happening until the guy raises his hand. So how have they made it safer?
Speaker 6: And so?
Speaker 5: But anyway, he said, I'm gonna popkick it down there, and if that guy elects to return it, thinking he's going to get to the twenty eight or thirty, you're going to see a lot of returns and they are going to be physical with how they're going to be defended.
Speaker 3: It adds a layer of strategy, Tom, no question. Now we've been disappointed because you almost accept the idea, well, they're going to kick it out of the back of the end zone, and I know how down you get when it's five four, six, seven yards deep in the end zone and guys taking a knee or just let it fly over the shoulder and put out the arms. I mean the days of you know, going to run to the beer stand and sitting in line and you might miss the opening kickoff and you might miss something that you're going to regret. I mean for fans and everything. It is. It is the NFL version of a Grand Slam in the bottom of the night. Think it is.
Speaker 4: Just then decrease the salary of the special Teams coach by one corner. Wait, because that's an element of coaching that they're taking off of their plate. And so you know, and to me, I like what Matt Eberfleu said. I like the fact that you get an aggressive slip kicker because they're significant amount of space that if you if you hit a ball so quickly at a guy that's a defensive player or not ready to make a catch like that, now all of a sudden it carms off of it and it's an open football, and then you're going to get those types of.
Speaker 2: Collisions that are more like the old on side kick.
Speaker 4: So I like Matt's way of thinking, but I still don't like what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: Hang on time. It's Dave tob out there in Kansas City. He wants to have a word with you about his salary. Hey all, thirty two of these guys did not want this, right. How come we don't listen to some of those people.
Speaker 5: John Harbaugh is you know, former special teams coach. He's the head coach Bill Belichick started out on special teams. They came out very strongly against this. I think when you've got owners who are listening, not listening to the coaches, and more than listening to you know other well, how should I say this politely? Personnel that are at the tops that are changing the game drastically in ways that I think that is happening too fast, because this has been going this direction for quite some time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they insinuated that potentially more news on these topics. And it's about the return game, and we get it that the health of the players is paramount, but as Jim and Tom have indicated, it's a collision sport.
Speaker 2: I would say, you know.
Speaker 4: The XFL and the USFL gave a couple of interesting options to be able to keep the kickoff return into the game and maybe make you know, less distance between collisions where there is more blocking strategy in the kickoff return.
Speaker 3: So I'm just hey, listen, the one thing I know about Tom Thayer, Jim Miller. Tom's an idea, man, So put pen to paper and get those wheels and gears turned.
Speaker 6: Buddy.
Speaker 7: I'm with you.
Speaker 5: The XFL, how they decrease the collisions, maybe that's a better option. You know, Hopefully they go through this year and they reevaluate and maybe they come up with a different strategy.
Speaker 3: All Right, we got to take a break head to another segment here on Bears Weekly with Tom Thayer Jim Miller. I'm Jeff Joniak here on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network three to two one. Want VIP access to every Bears home game, exclusive seating, sideline credentials, and more are now available To get the ultimate VIP fan package this season by visiting Chicago Bears vip dot Com. My guys Jim Miller tomp they are with us here on Bears Weekly final segment of the program. One thing I got to bring up about yesterday too. I mentioned Chase Claypole early in the program, meeting of vetterman off to after a play on the sidelines talking Talking the game. Got a lot of compliments from Justin fields Field saying, quote, he's improved tremendously from the end of last year to now. That's one thing I'm truly proud to say. Seeing his work, ethic, his attitude change. That's big and it's going to be awesome, especially when Mooney comes back as he works through his injury. He's not out there just yet. I think Bears fans and all of us would be thrilled with a impact player like DJ Moore, Chase Claypool finding himself in this system and excelling. Darnell coming back and then everybody else falling into place in terms of the pieces at that wide receiver position. Tommy, Yeah, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, emphasize Robert Tayan too, because I think the improvement of Cole Kmet but also a tight end that you really don't lose anything when you bring in two tight end sets and those types of things. So again we talk about the size that was needed by the Bears. They were able to accomplish that well with Darnell Mooney and DJ Moore. I do think you give a little bit of interesting target opportunities for Justin.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: For me, I just think if they can run the football like they did last year, their play action game should be deadly.
Speaker 7: It should be really good at this point.
Speaker 5: With adding Dj Moore, having a big guy like Claypool who the threat of the block's always there, they should be able to block the outside and then start chucking guys where they can get the play action game going, and then you got the speed of Mooney and of course Tanyan and other pieces to the puzzle. But their play action game that needs to be their focus. That's an area of the Bears offense that they lacked a lot of production last year and it really needs to take hold this year.
Speaker 3: Jim, with that in mind, I'm a big middle of the field guy, and have your quarterback just kind of eviscerated defense because the running game is so good, these guys are pulling up in the middle of the field, gets exposed. You put it underneath the safeties, over the head of the linebackers. Is this going to be available to Justin? And will his eyes be able to handle between the hash marks middle of the field. How deadly is that to a defense?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it should because it puts the defense in a conflict of interest. You know, when you're running say thirty four lead, you know, four or five times a game, and then you start pulling in the play actions. Hey let's go one thirty four x in. Let's go one thirty four comeback, let's go one thirty four z in. And those guys see that same action of that thirty four lead coming, those linebackers, they're going to come up there, they're going to suck up. Everybody's going to commit to stop the run. Because the Bears were number one in the league and all that stuff behind it, there's nobody. Man, it's wide open and it's there for the pickings. So to me, that's an area that they sorely, sorely lack production last year that needs to be much bigger in their game plan this year.
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 4: First sack that Justin took last year, he should have been simply thrown to David Montgomery on a checkdown route and David would have had significant area to run for. That's where I think Justin has to become confident and comfortable by throwing that.
Speaker 6: Okay, all the.
Speaker 4: Coverage downfield is matching what the routes are. Well, there's a simple checkdout, and I think the more Justin is willing to take those types of throws rather than putting himself in a position where he gets a sack or he gets hit awkwardly as he's running towards the sideline, That's what I want to see out of the self preservation portion for Justin is that willingness to take those types of throws.
Speaker 6: Jim.
Speaker 3: As offenses continue to spread out the defense and expand the field horizontally as well as vertically, well things two of my favorite throws are are skinny posts or you know, not everybody's Jerry Rice with Joe Montana and Steve Young, but the quick slant and boom, just run the middle of the field untouched to the end zone. A guy that wasn't super fast but played the game so aggressively and ran routes so perfectly. Is that available in this offense for this group of receivers. Can we see some of that that rip off big chunks or you know, inside the forty become inside the forty touchdown?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think those are those throw all in the game plan if they were to go empty, and you know, you attack the coverage.
Speaker 7: That's you know that that you're being shown.
Speaker 5: And typically when you're an empty typically most offense they'll have man beaters and zone beaters. So if it's coverage and maybe I can signal the slants out there, maybe Justin can elevate his game. Hey man, they're in single high pressman coverage. All right, you guys, let's get I'm gonna give you the go route here to DJ Moore on the outside, or hey, I want you to keep the slant on and work the defensive back and come across his face. So a lot of that stuff is built in, but I think a lot of that stuff also should be up to Justin to really take advantage of the coverage that he's seeing.
Speaker 7: Say, even if.
Speaker 5: It's press man, but the corners got outside leverage. Hey man, give me the slam, let's go. That's the that's the leverage you want that. You know you got a winner every time you go up there when you're just signaling the routes like.
Speaker 3: That, Hey, Jim, did you like working outside the numbers or did you like working inside? Where did your eyes take you? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I like both, depending on the coverage, because you got to remember a lot of the stuff carried over from Gary Croton's offense, so the quarterback was in control of a lot of it. And shoot, when we went empty out of that stuff, I just signaled to guys. Yeah, we had some built in routes when we called some empty plays, but a lot of it was the leverage and the technique of the corner what I saw coverage wise, and then I just signaled what I wanted. I could do two man combo routes. I could signal three man combo routes where they knew right away. Hey man, we got single high. Give me the ditch. What the ditch was? You had a post with an end cut. So and then distill all presented it. It was all determined by the coverage we're being presented.
Speaker 3: Tom, You're big on injuries and how the difficult ones are to come back from. You experienced plenty of played through things and never missed games. A fractured ankle, which is what Darnell Mooney suffered in Week twelve last year and that loss to the Jets. Working his way back not out there yet? Is that just a matter of healing and so forth. For a guy that you know, use an ankle flexion to make crisp route cuts for a guy who wants to master route running, is a significant challenge, honestly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, first of all, it's from the doctor himself and how they repair the injury, and then the rehabilitation process that he goes through. But to me, what I've seen out of Darnell Mooney, I have the same expectations for him then before the injury ever happened, and it's happened before in the NFL, and I think Darnell will recover and he'll be all. He'll be an asset to this football team's receivers, all right.
Speaker 3: A couple of quick hitters, guys, real quick all right, Jimmy, Aaron Rodgers participating in jets OTAs something they could have used for Romeo Dobbs and Christian Watson last year to get those young receivers acclimated. I think those folks in Green Bay turning a snarl at that.
Speaker 5: Well, of course area. But you got to give it up to Rogers. He's such a great team player. I mean, that's that's you know. Unfortunately it dis didn't happen for the Packers.
Speaker 7: Tom the guy now though.
Speaker 3: Tom tom Brady investing in Vegas the first day, Yeah, he did. Tom Brady investing in the Vegas Raiders as a limited partner needing NFL approval. What pops into your head when you hear that?
Speaker 4: Now, I mean it's a conflict of interest being a broadcaster and a team owner.
Speaker 2: So I don't want Tom Brady.
Speaker 4: Broadcasting the Las Vegas Raider Chicago Bears game.
Speaker 5: Jim Yes, especially, is what is he going to go in division? Is he going to be at those practices? Because I gotta believe Andy Reid and the rest of the Chargers and all them Denver. No, No, he's the owner of the Raiders. He's not coming to our practice. I don't care if he's calling the game or not.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're out of time. Guys, always fun. Appreciate you. We'll talk to you next week. The executive producer of the Bears Radio Network is Eric Ostrotski. Thanks to our producers at ESPN, Dan Billy, also Jordan Trendup and William bridge Forth for helping us out today. Appreciate you listening. Thank you to Tevin Jenkins. That has been Bears Weekly here on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network. We'll talk to you next week. Good night, everybody.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation of Bears Weekly. Podcasts are available on the Chicago Bears Official ad brought to you by Verizon and Apple Podcasts. Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Bette Rivers and Miller.
Speaker 3: Liked