Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome. In episode one thirty seven, What's Right with Nick Wright, my reliable co host Demons still in Los Angeles, having meetings, finding apartments, calling me, Sorry, I'm gonna area you out here. Kid calling me to find out Hey, the guy is trying to tell me I need to get insurance on my matt Don't get insurance on the mattress. Kid, don't do that. You would have recommended he do that?
Speaker 3: No, I recommend you not tell everybody's business.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's part of the show. It's part of that. He's doing great. He's crushing it out in La sitting in for him is his mom my wife, Miss Danielle, Right, dampoo, you ready for today's show?
Speaker 3: Sure, let's get this.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, here's what missed the cut. Here's what's not on today's show. Cam Newton throwing at Auburns pro day Odell and the Jets having mutual interest. I'm not so sure about that one. And Jaw returning coming off the bench against the Rockets. You know what, I know we said that missed the cut before we even get to what's actually on the show. Uh, you clamped for Jaw to.
Speaker 3: A great player. You know.
Speaker 4: I don't go about the outside life stuff. I just played the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you don't really care about off the courts now, I don't. Can I show you? However, the shirt Jaw's dad war to the game, So that's Jaw's dad. That shirt says redemption is a picture of Jaw I think dapping up his dad like dislike, don't care.
Speaker 4: I don't care, don't care, just play ball?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 3: Wearing his daddy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Team or Ant has become part of this story. I'm not sure exactly what the Redemption arc, how exactly how it works, but Jow's back and I think the Grizzlies might win the West. All right, speaking of the Western Conference, there were some games last night, Dampoo, Why don't you get us started.
Speaker 3: The Lakers once again? Well you think we shouldn't start with I mean that's what's here.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: The Lakers got a huge win over the Suns last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did.
Speaker 4: Why while we're in Aruba, they'll play the Thunder and the Bills twice Bulls, the Bulls, my bad sol Gills a football team. Yeah, that's when we get back.
Speaker 3: Are they going to be closer to the sixth seed or the eleven seed?
Speaker 2: All right, so this is very interesting. So last night's win was massive for them. Yeah, last night in the NBA went kind of good for the Lakers, kind of bad. So here's what went bad. The Timberwolves, who they're chasing, beat the Hawks by one. At the end of now, shout out to Karl Anthony Towns. He's been out since October. He also has dealt with a ton of personal tragedy over the last few years. Lost multiple family members due to COVID, got injured very early this year. Three seconds left, he gets fouled down one hits both free throws shout out to him. The Hawks, though then get the ball, get obviously fouled on their final shot. The refs don't call it. Timberwolves win by one, so that's a team the Lakers are chasing. The Timberwolves win. What went well for the Lakers last night is the Blazers finally got a win. They beat the Jazz, so the Jazz drop a bit in the standings. And then the Warriors MAVs game, which we're gonna get into later. The Lakers are chasing both of those teams. Obviously one of them had to lose, ended up being the Mavericks. So the Lakers sit here right now in the ten spot, but it is so congested. The Sons are the four seed, and we count losses. This is an important thing. I say it on the TV show all the time. At this point in the year, all you need to do is look at the lost column. You can make up wins because you all play eighty two games. You can't make up losses. Once you have X amount of losses, you can't go backwards from that. So the Suns are the four seed. They have thirty four losses. The Clippers are the five seed. They have thirty five losses. Then you have the Warriors and the Thunder both with thirty six losses, and in the Timberwolves, MAVs, Lakers, Jazz, and Pelicans all with thirty seven losses. So the Lakers play the Thunder on Friday. That is a great spot for Los Angeles and it is the newest, latest, most important game of the year. Why well, for a number of reasons. One is they're chasing them. The other one is and they might really not even be chasing them after tonight, because the Thunder play the Clippers tonight, but the Thunder beat the Lakers the night Lebron broke the record. The Lakers then beat the Thunder without Lebron or ad in a night Shay wasn't playing. Now they play Friday their final game of the year, so it's a huge game in the standings. It also will determine the tiebreaker, so where if the Thunder and the Lakers finished with the same record, who gets the higher seed. It would be the winner of Friday night's game. It is a great time to play the Thunder because the Thunder played the Clippers in a war night before last. They then play the Clippers tonight and the very next night, second night of a back to get back, third game in three days or in four days, pardon me, they play the Lakers, so the Lakers will have some rest, the Thunder, won't I think the Lakers will win that game. Thunder then drop Lakers move up. You then get two games against the Chicago Bulls. And there was some weird I didn't let me check see if there's been an update this moment, but Demarta Rosen got dinged yester last night and Demarta Rosan aggravates quad injury and lopsided Bulls loss. So Demarta Rosen exiting with seven minutes and forty eight seconds left in the third quarter, and it was in a game that he had already been playing poorly, clearly wasn't right. So the Bulls might be without DeRozan, plus they're not very good. Plus it's a chance to get revenge on Pack Beverley. Here's my point. I think the Lakers, who haven't been five hundred all year long and are sitting at thirty six and thirty seven when we get back from our trip the next time that we that I'm on the air for What's Right show a week from today. I think the Lakers are gonna be thirty nine and thirty seven. I think they're gonna win their next three. If that happens, there's a real chance that when we get here on Thursday, they are the sixth seed. Last night's win was critical. And here's the other thing. The Suns are holding on for dear life to avoid the play in themselves. The Clippers, who we're gonna get to, are holding on for dear life to avoid the play in. The Warriors, all of a sudden have won back to back road games, but they play the Sixers on Sunday. On Friday, I should say the next couple days in the NBA are gonna go a long ways to determining what's what in the Western Conference. What are you laughing about?
Speaker 3: Nothing? Tell me nothing?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. So the tomorrow night, the Thunder, I'm sorry, Tonight, the Thunder play the Clippers. That's again from a Lakers perspective, that's one of those. It's one of the teams you're chasing, gets to win, one gets a loss. That's really the only relevant game to the Lakers. Tonight, then tomorrow massive. As we mentioned, the Lakers play the Thunder also Tomorrow, the Jazz host the Bucks. The Bucks should win that game and put the Jazz at thirty eight losses and the Sixers go to Golden State. If the Sixers and Joel Embiid can win that game and Joel aggravated a bit of an injury, hardens, we got to see what their health is for that game. But they're fighting for seeding. If they can win that game, and then we have the Kings hosting the Suns. The Lakers could by Saturday be a half game out of the sixty. All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Look like the Warriors are going to embarrass you again. You said they're dead. Embarrass me, embarrass you? Okay, you said they're dead.
Speaker 4: Last night they beat your guy Luca in the MAVs. You scared yet?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not scared of the Warriors.
Speaker 3: You should be, But why do you.
Speaker 2: Think I should be just because of Stephen Clay? See?
Speaker 3: That is dangerous.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's my thing, and I really really because I know I here's the thing, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but your analysis there is exactly what the people who get paid millions of dollars to watch all the games and talk about this on TV.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what they say. Oh then where's my millions?
Speaker 2: Well no, but here's my point. It is such a fast style point, like, ah, they're the Warriors, You've got to be afraid of them.
Speaker 3: It is what the that's what you would say about Lebron.
Speaker 2: The Warriors don't have Lebron.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter. They don't need Lebron. They're freaking the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you're correct to a degree that that is what I would say about Lebron. However, the Warriors do not, in my estimation this year, have the cohesion, have any type, that the depth, any of the things they need to be a truly scary team. Now, last night there was a lot of hijinks in the game, and that's actually what I want to talk about before before I get to the Warrior's side of it, because the MAVs are filing a protest because if you don't watch last night's game, this is what happened. Late in the third quarter, the ref the ball goes out of bounds, the MAVs didn't call timeout. The ref does initially signal Warriors ball. He then signals towards the MAVs the MAVs think he's saying it's their ball, they call timeout. He was saying they called time, that they called timeout, not that it was their ball. Go to commercial, come back. All the MAVs are lined up on the other end of the court like it's their ball. One of the refs is also down there. The Warriors are lined up by the basket they're trying to score on like it's their ball. The refs just hand the Warriors the ball. There's no one down there. They getna lay up. They end up winning the game by two points. So the MAVs are furious about this. Mark Cuban's furious about this. They're gonna file a protest. They're not gonna win the protest. So why did this happen? Well, there was an odd thing going on in yesterday's game, and Luca's gotta own this. So look the NBA, if you get sixteen technicals over the course of a season, you get suspended for a game. Draymond just got suspended for a game because he's on sixteen. Now then for him, you get then suspended every other game. Luca is sitting on fifteen and the MAVs obviously have to win every game. The ref last night, we're clearly afraid to give Draymond or Luca attack when they clearly deserved them multiple times because they didn't want the suspension to happen. Draymond and Luca then took advantage of it. Luca went further and whenever the refs missed a call started doing this, the money signed like the refs were paid off. I think he's gonna get fined fifty thousand dollars for it. I love Luca, you can't do that, and it gives the refs incentive to stick it to you, which I think they were doing. So. The MAVs right now are in a spot where they have to hold on for dear life just to make the play in. They're very fortunate they won that game last Friday against the Lakers. The Lakers Blue and for the MAVs now, I'll say this, if they end up the eight seed, I think they absolutely can beat Dallas. But their defense at them is an abomination. There is no resistance at the rim, and it was a layup line for the Warriors yesterday. Now to the Warriors that again, I'm told I have to be scared of a Warriors team that has been the fourth worst road team on the year this season, a Warriors team that last night did not even have Jordan Poole, their newly minted hundred million dollar man, in their closing lineup. Instead, they went with Dante DiVincenzo because Pool has been so bad defensively and making bad decisions. I have massive respect for Steph, and Steph has been great all year long. With that said, the Warriors have been a five hundred team at every stretch of the season, and unlike the Lakers, who have been around five hundred after the two Lakers started to intend and then trying to get back to five hundred, they haven't gotten there. Ye, the Lakers can say, well a d missed a month. Lebron is in the midst of missing a month. The Warriors were a five hundred team in games Steph plays in games he doesn't now. They do have San Antonio still on their schedule. They do have Portland in the final game of the year, in a game that I think will mean nothing for Portland, but the idea the Warriors are no more of a lock right now to make the postseason than the Lakers. I understand there are a loss ahead of them in the standings. Also, if those two teams finished with the same record, the Lakers, because they've won the season series, have the tiebreaker there. I do not believe that this Warriors team has the juice this season, and I will go a step further on that. I think there was such an emotional toll in a positive way taken by them winning a title without Durant that they then understandably, we're already this year.
Speaker 3: Gonna let their foot off the gas a bit.
Speaker 2: You then combine it with the fact that Draymond cold cocked one of the players and the kind of long tale of that all year. I don't think they have it. It's a good win for them last night against Dallas. I've been wrong on the Warriors before, but I would expect when they play Philly on Friday night, assuming Embiid plays, they have no answer for Embiid and they're right, and they're then once again fighting just to stay out of the plan. All right, next time will tell you you believe in them. I believe, and you also like watching them.
Speaker 3: I love watching them. The good team to watch. They're enjoyable. You know, that's like the only sauce.
Speaker 2: It's not hate sauce, and I've had to eat it when I've been wrong about.
Speaker 3: Okay, what nothing?
Speaker 2: Okay, great to eat Okay.
Speaker 4: The Curse Clippers lost Paul George for the last three weeks. Yeah, could they miss the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Entirely said they could?
Speaker 2: Will they fall out of the play in?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But in the if they don't have Paul George for the play in, they could lose play into elimination games. They could lose any of those games and just be done. And so there's a Kaui angle to this. And then there's a trade angle to this, which is also kind of a Kauai angle. The Qui angle is I have I had to listen for the better part of a year that this guy was the best player in the league after what he did in Toronto. Then he goes to La best player in LA. I had to listen to all of that. Kawhi, it is now incumbent upon It is not fair to ask why if Paul George is done for the year to lead them to a championship. It is absolutely fair to say, Kawhi, make sure they make the playoffs. You are as load managed as any player in the league should be. The freshest superstar in the league. Right now, you have a bit of a cushion in the standings at the moment due to what the team has done over the bulk of the season. You're the five seed right now, you're at thirty five losses. You can't fall out of the playoffs altogether.
Speaker 3: Just can't.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the Clippers schedule is not easy. As I mentioned, they host Oklahoma City tonight Saturday, they host New Orleans Monday, they host Chicago, that's the softest part. Then their final six games at Memphis, at Memphis again, at New Orleans home for the Lakers, home for the Blazers again. The Blazers at that point might have packed it in, and then at Phoenix in the final game of the year that theoretically Kevin Durant could be back for big spots here for Kawhi Leonard. Now to the Clippers, the other angler. They are man they have gotten since they got Kawhi and Paul George. Their first year together, they're up three to one on the Nuggets. They fall apart entirely. Their second year together, they look like they have a real chance of making the finals. Kawhi blows out his knee in around two of the playoffs. They end up winning that round anyway, but they lose obviously to the Suns in the conference finals. Then next year, Kawhi misses all year, Paul George keeps them afloat they get to the play in, Paul George is ruled out for the play in due to COVID health and safety protocols, and their season ends. And now this year, when they look like one of the scariest teams in the West, they end up having to They're not gonna have Paul George for at least the rest of the regular season. Now we get back to how this whole thing started with them that Paul George trade. I understand I argued with Broussard about this, like any team would make it. You traded for Paul George, you ended up getting. That was how you got Kawhi Leonard got. But again, not to reference Lebron for the third time in the show, but I have had to listen for Lebron's entire career, and certainly is Lakers tenure that it is on him that he forced the Lakers to trade for us. It didn't work, and Lebron did it. Well, let's revisit this fact. Kawhi Leonard. The Clippers had the opportunity to sign Kawhi Leonard and give up no one. He told them, in order to get me, you must trade for Paul George. So let's talk about what they gave up for Paul George, because it is quite the hall now that we know this has not worked out at all. They traded for Paul George Shay Gilgess Alexander, who is in all NBA level player right now plays for the Thunder averaging thirty two points per game, and the Thunder have been as good as the Clippers all year based on his play. I don't want to say alone, but he's been the driving force Danilo Gallinari, so be it. And five first round picks they traded them a twenty twenty one pick, first, a twenty twenty three first, a twenty twenty two first, a first in twenty four, a first in twenty six, and the rights to swap picks in twenty three and twenty five. So five first round picks, two swaps and the best player in the trade. Why so the Clippers if Kawhi when he went there had said no I'm just gonna come here, keep shay, keep all those picks, and wait and see how we can improve. The team wouldn't do that, and now they looked what for the fourth year of this to have no championship hopes and for their next four seasons they either have to give up their first round pick or swap with the thunder who they thunder might swap with them this year because the thunder might in him with a better record than them this year. It's a disaster of a trade.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Last thing, Danielle, you.
Speaker 4: Said the Kings have the best offense in NBA history. Yep, five of the top nine all time or this year?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: What is happening?
Speaker 2: Okay? So when I so you do points per one hundred possessions? The Kings literally do as I don't understand that.
Speaker 3: You have to explain it, okay.
Speaker 2: So the so, there's two ways to measure offense, right, how many points do you score in a game or points per possession. The reason it's better to do points per possession is how many points you score in a game can be influenced greatly by how fast you play. If you run up and down the court, you get more possessions. You know what I mean. And so the best way to normalize it against all of history is points per possession. You do points per one hundred possessions, because that's usually about how many there is in a game. The Kings have the best offense in NBA history by that metric. The third best offense in NBA history is the Nuggets this year, the fourth best offense in NBA histories, the Celtics this year, the sixth best offense in NBA histories, the Sixers this year. So four of the top six aer this year. So what's happening? Old school folks are gonna say nobody plays defense. That is flatly not true. Again, the NBA just announced that over the next few days, if you sign up for yours an unpaid ad, if you sign up for nbaid, you have access to all of the finals games. You can watch them in full from the nineties through now. Go watch some of those mid nineties finals games and you tell me, was it great defense or was it compact did offense and and bad shot making. It's I promise you it's the latter, not the former. It's not about guys not playing defense. It's about clearly and unquestionably two things. What with three things? One is the prevalence of the three point shot is the biggest reason for this of anything. The threes are worth fifty percent more than twos. Teams shoot more threes now than ever before. It is as simple as that. That's the biggest reason. The second reason is the overall talent level in the league has never been higher due to the ubiquitousness of the foreign players. And how we talk about when we talk about this later, the best players in the sport. Four of the top six are not American born. You have so you have more talent to draw from than ever four. And the last thing is this, the league probably needs to expand. In the nineties, you add six teams added from the late eighties to the early nineties. They added the Heat, the Magic, the Timberwolves, the Raptors, the Grizzlies, and one other team I'm forgetting. They added six teams to the league in a short period of time. They didn't have enough talent, so all of a sudden, instead of teams having three superstars per team, it was two, sometimes even one. Now the league has not expanded since then. In the nineties, there's enough talent for thirty two or thirty four teams and because of that, scoring his way up. And really it's because teams are smarter. They're taking smarter shots. Instead of taking mid range jump shots, they're taking three pointers. So do I think the Kings are actually the best offense ever? No? I think they are the best offense this year. And much like damn climate change, the hottest year right now is going to be the hottest year ever because it's just getting hotter and hotter the defenses, I'm sorry, scoring is going to continue to go up until we reach something of an equilibrium when it comes to the diminishing returns on threes and when it comes to teams kind of figured defensively figuring out a counter to the modern offense, because the modern offense is way ahead?
Speaker 4: What oh?
Speaker 3: You just what? Too much? What do you mean I'm talking too much? You lost me once again?
Speaker 2: All Right, that might have been a little convoluted, But the point I'm making is teams are taking shots that are worth more than more of those shots than they ever have before. Teams are smarter than they ever have been before as far as taking the most efficient shots, and we have the most talent, rich pool of players to draw from. All of that has led to an increase in office.
Speaker 4: Right when somebody says I can't understand, explain that to me. You can't give them too much because they just told you they don't understand.
Speaker 3: So I means you got to give them a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying was that the point was that little explanation better.
Speaker 2: That was better? All right, appreciate that. Thank you, damn food, that's why you're here. What'd you say for you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, now, just full of roasting me? What do you so? I have a pimple on my forehead that Danielle has been rocking. Danielle has been mocking me for all day. Said, oh, you don't have TV makeup to save you for the podcast. No, listen, things, things happened. Is it time to take a break? Yes, okay, take quick break, come back, what's right?
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblast, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon, MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Joel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tanya, and Bobby kind of Alli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright Episode one thirty seven, my wonderful wife Danielle filling in for my wonderful son, Demons.
Speaker 3: How do you think this wonderful?
Speaker 2: How do you think that first segment went?
Speaker 3: I think it went good. Boss.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm just the host.
Speaker 3: What's Right with Nick? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean my name's on the show. Yeah, that is true.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Danielle was adamant. Danielle behind the scenes is kind of my biggest advocate, even though in front of the camera sometimes she seems to just want to crush me.
Speaker 3: Uh that.
Speaker 2: When we were gonna start this podcast for Fox, Danielle was adamant that it has to be called What's Right because that's what the show my radio show in college, Kansas City and Houston, and even on Mad Dog Sports Radio. I guess in Houston it wasn't called what's Right, because it was because I had a coast because with John Lopez called in the Loop. But then the national show I did on the weekends was called What's Right, and all of these have been called What's Right. So daniel was an adamant that I keep the name and maybe, you know, maybe one day it'll be what's right with Nick Wright and family?
Speaker 3: Or what's right with the rights.
Speaker 2: What's right with the rights? Oh, that would work. But my regular you know, Demons, was so damn attached to that bird last name.
Speaker 3: I mean, who wouldn't be I dump my middle name for it.
Speaker 2: That's true, That is true. When Danielle and I got married, Uh, Danielle took my last name, but then just moved her maiden name, which is bird, just demand's last name to the middle. But yeah, no, it's it's a it's a good though. Yeah, I know, but it doesn't. He doesn't. He doesn't doesn't quite have you know, it doesn't have the with the I think with right and family, with right and friends. I'm not sure we can figure it out.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that sounds kind of lame.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, let's get to the show. What are we doing here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, your part.
Speaker 4: Yesterday when you should have been helping me pack for our trip. Yeah, you came up with a fake basketball game?
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 3: Who's your dumb fake basketball game?
Speaker 2: Okay? So the World Baseball Classic was a huge success, and it was because the players were invested. So I said, how can we recreate this on other levels? And the NBA All Star Game was a travesty this year because none of the players cared. So here was the idea. Tell me before I even show it to you if you like this idea. The NBA All Star Game, it's just like the best thirty players you know in the East versus West it used to be, and now they pick sides. The US the best players, American born players on one team for the All Star Game against the best international players, the best foreign born players. I thought that would raise the stakes a bit as far as guys having pride, caring about it before I show you the rosters. Do you think that would work?
Speaker 3: No? Why, I just don't like it.
Speaker 2: Why, I mean, we're all one just I understand. But the World Baseball Classic, it was country. It's like the Olympics if you.
Speaker 4: Play for a bunch of people from one country. When it comes to the other countries.
Speaker 2: For basketball, right, that's why you have to do international.
Speaker 3: That's not fair.
Speaker 4: All the US get to be together and then there's all these different guys from different countries over here.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: It makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: Okay, whatever you say.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well let me show it to you. Okay, guy, I mean we are gonna discuss this here. I think we can show it to you. If not, I can just tell everybody what the teams looked like. Uh so, here's what here. Here is where what I had it at. I guess we don't have the graphic for you. My apologies, but I can so Team USA would be here's their twelve Lebron, Steph Durant, Tatum, Jah, Anthony Davis, Donovan, Mitchell, Devin Booker, James Harden, Kawhi Leonard and Diaron Fox.
Speaker 3: They already won.
Speaker 2: Well, listen to the other side. The other side has Giannis Embiid, Luca Jokic, Sga Shay, the guy we were talking about earlier. The world starting five is better than the US's starting five. Giannis Embiid, Luca Jokic, and Shay versus Lebron Steph, Katie Tatum, and Jah. They have a better starting five where they get hurt as their depth. After Shay, you have DeMont Sabonis who was born in the States but as Lithuanian citizenship through his dad, Pascal Siakam, Laurie Markinen, Jamal Murray og Annoby, Franz Wagner, and Chris Stabs. The US has more depth. But if we were right now, the top four in MVP candidates for this year are probably all on the World team. Right now, I think the MVP voting would go Embiid, Yannis Jokic, Luka and Shay might get some MVP votes, So I think the guys would have enough pride and they would play harder. The thing with the All Star Game is you need them to play harder. So let me ask you this. If you don't like my idea, I'm putting you on the spot here. If you don't mind, how would you make the NBA All Star Game? How would you incentivize the guys to care about an exhibition game that doesn't count for the standings or a championship so they play hard the way they did once upon a time.
Speaker 3: What do they get paid you to play. They don't.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's as simple as money, simple as money.
Speaker 2: How much are you gonna pay them?
Speaker 3: Though, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Just pay them money where it's worth it, where I'm gonna play like I'm supposed to play.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of money. There's a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you sell the tickets more, you do everything more. You know what I'm saying. You figure out a way to pay the players.
Speaker 2: All right. Daniel's idea is pay the players more. I like my idea us.
Speaker 3: Versus the world. Of course you do?
Speaker 2: Well, well, yeah, I mean it's my of course I'm gonna like it. All right. What are we doing next?
Speaker 3: Oh? New game? Yeah? Nick? Nick fix?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You get three moves per team. Okay, we've got five teams here. We're starting with the Panthers.
Speaker 2: All right. So how would I fix the Carolina Panthers. Well, they put themselves in a brutal spot. The first thing I would do, if I could, is undo the trade I just did. But they can't do that. Okay, So since they can't undo the trade they just did, which they traded, they treated this year's draft like Caleb Williams is in it, like I can't miss gotta have number one quarterbacks there. That's not the case. But because of that, you gotta deal with where you're at. So the first thing I would do is I would draft CJ. Stroud. That's the first thing I would do because Bryce Young's too small. Anthony Richardson maybe has the highest ceiling, but they want a guy who can play immediately because they don't have their pick next year. The next thing that I would do if I were them after drafting CJ. Stroud is this one's tough because you gotta somehow recoup offensively the loss of DJ Moore to help CJ. Stroud out. I would call, yeah, what I'm thinking, I'm trying to do this right. I would call Tampa about Mike Evans and see and I I'd be hesitant to lay out more draft capital, but I want you have no incentive to be bad next year. I want to give my team a chance to or CJ. Stroud the best chance to be good immediately. I need a receiver. I'd see if I can give up a fourth round pick for Mike Evans. And the last thing that I would do if I were the Carolina Panthers, gosh darn it is in this year's draft. I would try to trade back as much as I can to recoup some picks. This is a tough one to fix because I think they made a big mistake laying out all, laying out all that draft capital move from nine to one. But that is that's what I would do if I were them. All Right, what's next, Danielle?
Speaker 3: The Cowboys.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys I don't think need a ton of fixing. I like their addition of Brandon Cooks. I like what they have done obviously defensively, and I understand that this is probably gonna be an unpopular thing. But you can't let the sunk cost fallacy kill you. You can't be like, ah, we made a mistake on Zeke, we paid Zeke. What do we do?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Here's what I would do if I were the Dallas Cowboys. I would draft b Jon Robinson in the first round, the running back out of Tech, out of Texas. I would ask Dak to go back to what he does best, which is be an over as Brusard says a lot, and he's right, be an overqualified game manager. So I'd scale back the offense. I'd draft Bjon Robinson and on the defensive side of the ball. I would tell Micah Parsons that he is so. Step one is draft of Jean Robinson. Step two is get Dak Prescott back to game manager Dak Prescott, and step three is I understand Michah Parsons can do a little bit of everything, and that's what makes him so great. Micah Parsons is a is a permanent pass rusher. Doesn't mean we're taking him off the field of non pass rushing situations, but this whole have Micah sometimes drop into coverage. Micah Parsons has the ability to be the most dominant edge rusher in football. Let him be that and let him try to tee off on quarterbacks. That's what I would do. Whire the Dallas Cowboys. The real thing I would have done is fire Mike McCarthy, but they're not gonna do that before the year. They had their opportunity, and so they move on from Kellen Moore.
Speaker 3: Next the Commanders.
Speaker 2: Well, this one's simple that I would sign Lamar Jackson to an offersheet immediately. I mean that one. They have the sixteenth pick this year, I would wait until after the draft. In the draft, I would if he's there I would draft Quintin Johnston, the kid from TCU. If he's not there, Jackson, Smith and Jigba would be my draft pick as I draft a top flight wide receiver. That's I guess step one, but we can leave it at step two. I would sign Lamar Jackson, giving up my two future first round picks, and I would use the rest of the draft that I can on. I would try to find It's not a great, not gonna mean a great position to do this, but I would try to find a legitimate tackle, and I would believe that Chase Young's gonna bounce back, and I would try to go win the NFC East with arguably the best quarterback in the NFC and Lamar. The Commanders are in a weird spot because they're selling their team, but signing Lamar, drafting a receiver, using the rest of the draft to supplement your offensive line, your secondary, that's what I would do. That to me is the easiest, most obvious fix.
Speaker 3: Next the Ravens.
Speaker 2: All right, this is assuming they lose Lamar. So assuming if you are the Ravens, assuming you lose Lamar, the first thing I would do is call San Francisco and see if they have soured on Trey Lance. Trey Lance, if they want to roll with brock Purty, they want to cut their losses there, I would call San Francisco about Trey Lance. That's the first thing I would do. The second thing I would do with my increased draft capital is trade, because you're getting draft picks for because you're letting Lamar go. Trade for DeAndre Hopkins. You can get him for your second round pick, and now you have extra picks. And the last thing that I would do if I were Baltimore is really just hope and pray the Steelers stick with Kenny Pickett, because if they do, they are going to be, oh, you know what, I actually I don't. I'm yeah. Just hope and pray the Steeler stick with Kenny Pickett. That's what I would do. That's what I would do for the Ravens.
Speaker 3: Last one, Danielle the Bills.
Speaker 2: Bills are in a weird spot where they've got to decide are we going to go further all in on this moment or are we gonna take a momentary step back. I don't think they can afford to take a momentary step back. They gave von Miller all that money. If I were the Bills, I would sign Frank Clark, great chief, two time Super Bowl champion with the Chiefs. Give Frank all the credit in the world, but he's gone now. He has not been great in the regular season. He absolutely has been dominant in the postseason. The first thing I would do is sign Frank Clark. They are another team that if he's available. If the Cowboys don't draft him, I fire them. I would draft b Gen Robinson so you can have a legitimate pass rush, and I would show Josh Allen. I would make a super cut so step would be draft b Jehen Robinson, and then I would make a supercut of Josh Allen's most ridiculous mistakes from last last year and make him watch them every day. Be like, Buddy, we know you have a rocket arm. You've got to you've got to reel it into a degree because your mistakes killed us. He doesn't have to be a game manager. He's too talented for that. But you can't have him being as reckless as he was last year. And you've got to You've got to real and the I tell Ken Dorsey, we can't have our This is one of the reasons draft of Jehen Robinson. You can't have our running game just be putting our under back in jeopardy time after time after time. He's got to reel back the running a bit and reel end the mistakes a bit. All right, dam poop, you don't really love football and that was a very football heavy segment. Yeah, so I would like to know what would you like to fix nonsports world. Oh you had an idea early communication?
Speaker 4: Okay, explain that how you Communication has gotten awful lot. I think the text messaging and the dating online and all that stuff is messed up a lot of the world. I think people aren't actually having conversations to actually figure out what somebody really means when they're saying something, or even if you actually like this person, because you can you can fake type shit all day, act like you're.
Speaker 3: Somebody that you're not. My bad I said, that's okay, But.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think communication is really bad right now. I think the pandemic also made it worse and we need to go.
Speaker 3: Back to it.
Speaker 2: So when you say so, there's the dating part of it, then there's the text messaging part of it. You think that there should be nothing serious for something that takes more than one screen of words. Should ever be communicated be a text exactly.
Speaker 4: It's like if you text somebody and say, hey, can we have a conversation and somebody you know, takes a further about what you say a little bit, but we're not going to text about it. It's like people are now I like sending you whole books, like, bro, give me a phone call about this. This is crazy. I'm not going to respond. Can I text you in a minute? I mean, can I call you in a minute. It's just I think the communication SUTs. We need to start talking to each other again. And it's also making these men and women go on these dates and meeting up with people that just doesn't mazing.
Speaker 2: Aren't you glad we don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 3: I'm very glad. I don't have to worry about that. I'm so glad.
Speaker 4: But I rather have if I was a single woman. I want a man to approach me face to face.
Speaker 2: I think guys are afraid to do that something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's the reason why men are getting weaker.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, well now we might be men are getting weaker over yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh women, And you know, women are playing more of a part of the man these days. It's just like it's because we we're trying to do the things that we want them to do when we shouldn't be doing it at all.
Speaker 2: All right, that's a preview of birds thoughts of podcasts coming from Blue Duck Media in the summer of twenty twenty four. Be on the lookout for it. Danielle and I both answer viewer questions next What's right, all Right? Episode one thirty seven, What's right with the right Reminder, we are not on on Tuesday. TV show is off Monday and Tuesday due to I think the Euros the soccer tournament, which is a great tournament, second best tournament in the world by the World Cup. I actually like it more than Champions League even pardon me, I got my little excuse me. No, I'm good, I got my coffee right here. Thank you though, so uh so, we're off Tuesday Thursday. Demanse will be back in the seat Thursday. Demanse it will be back from his trip from LA before he officially moves to LA and right now and you can still submit them to the questions in the chat if you're watching live on YouTube, and we'll answer some of them. By the way, speaking of Demonse, I'm told the Blue Docks squad found Demanse in La again. Remember the first time they found him, they saw him put him on the Hollywood sign. Here he's in front of is that the Chinese theater. He's got some in and out burger, He's got an oscar.
Speaker 3: I know the man.
Speaker 2: I don't eat. The only thing I don't eat. The only thing I don't eat is cheeseburgers and uh in and out burger is the one except and I make. And Demonzi's hat says avocado toast he found. So speaking of that, Sam Dunderdale says, question for both of you, what will you missed most? Miss most with Demonse moving to La, Oh.
Speaker 3: My gosh, so much. She has been my right hand man.
Speaker 4: Nick is always busy, so Demanse has been helping me if we need to pick the girls up or shoot babysit, any of that. Like, Demanse has been the help of the house, right.
Speaker 2: I think he's been great, and he obviously helps with this podcast. I'm gonna you know it's been because Demanse when we first moved to New York, was in college in California, Almornia, and then he came back, and then he was in Houston and Kansas City for the first for two years during the pandemic essentially, and then came back a little over a year ago opened up the store. It's been nice to have another guy in the house and so and I really have really enjoyed watching football with him because he and I that when he was growing up, he didn't care about the NFL at all. No, and so he and I never got to do that when he was little. But this year it's been nice. Yeah, So I'm gonna miss him, but he's doing great. Uh, I'm happy for him. Noah Rodriguez asked Danielle, what is it like being married to someone who loves gambling and what are some rules you guys have established in terms of how much gambling is too much.
Speaker 4: Well, at the beginning of our relationship, Nick gambled so much that I would have to go to sleep in the car.
Speaker 3: I mean that's a fact.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, I would. Danielle would come with me to the casino where I would play poker.
Speaker 4: Now I would play blackjack for like an hour, and then you would not be done. I would wait around for like an hour and he still wasn't done. And then it's like the third hour comes around. Was like, okay, I'm going to go in the car and wait for you, and you're like, okay, go ahead. Then I noticed I've been sleep in the car for two hours. Yeah, so yeah, okay, it's not as bad as it used to be.
Speaker 3: I think we kind of like have it under control now. You don't do it like you used to.
Speaker 2: During the pandemic. During the beginning of the pandemic, I was playing a lot of online poker. Yeah, and that irritated That irritated me. So I don't think tell me if I'm wrong. You're less concerned. The dollars part of it has never really been an issue.
Speaker 3: It's time.
Speaker 4: It's the time, Yeah, the dollars because you don't I don't. I wasn't with you when you would let the stuff get out of control. I don't think. I think as you know, like you're kind of smart enough. I have a family, you have to I can't lose all of our money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the I don't when it's not football season. I don't really bet sports.
Speaker 4: And you don't have many hobbies and like do with it. So I guess I'll let you have that. I mean, I don't gamble, but I spend a lot of money on clothes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that is it is.
Speaker 3: I spend a lot of money on and that is all.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, Danielle doesn't you know, she doesn't give me a hard time about playing cards. She doesn't you know, Like she said, it's my it's one of my passion things. She supported me when I went out to Vegas and gambled for a lot of money in those televised poker things. But she does keep it right in her back pocket.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whenever there is any instance of any it is a card that is played, no pun intended. Anytime there's any question like oh is that new? I I when did you get that? There's it's always very close to the tip of the tongue of oh, you spend five thousand dollars on poker and I you give me a hard.
Speaker 4: At least when I'm what I spend my money on is on my back.
Speaker 2: All right, Next question Capri Johnson for me, Nick, why do you feel like you should be a voter for NBA awards? Folks might feel like you're just gonna be biased towards Lebron. I feel like I should be a voter for the NBA awards because there are one hundred plus people who have votes, and you cannot tell me. You cannot convince me that there are one hundred plus media members who watch more NBA than me, who know more about the NBA than me, who care more about the NBA than me. It's obviously not true. I am obviously one of the one hundred most qualified people to vote on these awards. And when it comes to contracts, incentives, being eligible for supermacs, those things being tied to the awards, you should have the most qualified, dedicated voters possible. Instead, I feel like I think it's kind of outrageous when I hear some of the new people who have gotten votes that the NBA has not approached me about it. I don't I don't know what more I could do to demonstrate my knowledge and to demonstrate my passion for the league. And so we joke about it on the TV show. But it does, it does, yeah, and it does bother me. I just I you should want the most qualified electorate, if you will, possible, and I'm clearly in that, And so why do I think I don't have a vote. Well, I've never been a writer and writer there's been a Historically it was just writers, but now it's not just writers. Broadcasters have gotten votes.
Speaker 4: Podcasters have gotten longer or what has a.
Speaker 2: Lot of them? You know, like Bruceard's got a vote, he deserves a vote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, so it And would I be biased? I wouldn't towards Lebron? I know I would. I would take it very seriously. Now here's the benefit, speaking of the gambling to not having a vote. Because I don't have a vote, I can gamble on these awards. And when Joel Embiid wins MVP, I'm gonna make a lot of money because he was plus three point fifty ten days ago and I saw this train coming down the tracks and bet it. Then oh sorry, and that's the paper parking. And now he's a minus money favorite, all right. Gabe Alvarez says Danielle, when did you realize you fell in love with Nick? For me, it was when he called Lebron the goat? That's funny. Good job, Gabe.
Speaker 4: I fell in love with Nick on our first date. It took me a little bit over a year to go on a date with Nick. And on our first date, well the first date, it wasn't all in the same day. Beginning was when you met my children. And then later on that evening we went to his godfather's restaurant, Anthony's in Kansas City, and when we got there, they were treating us like gold, like he was like.
Speaker 3: Part owner of the restaurant, and.
Speaker 4: We sat in the corner where like nobody can see us, so we kind of like had our own private area. And it was kind of like the communication, like I was saying, like when people are slacking on these days, you basically wanted to know all about me, and we like made out the whole night yea, and talked and talked and talked for a few hours and then and then you were very uh persistent on getting me after then when I kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what'd you do for the next four months after that date where you fell inLove?
Speaker 3: I didn't talk to you.
Speaker 2: She ran for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was I'm like, like I told you guys last yow.
Speaker 4: Nick was my first white guy I dated, and he was younger than me and he had a lot going on for his future.
Speaker 3: I didn't there was like so many flags that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you had seen my you had seen my apartment.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I was disgusting. Was like, this definitely is not gonna be my man. It's nasty. But yeah, I fell in love with you on our first date.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I think I probably fell in love with you a little before that. All right, Danielle, who do you think the NBA goat is.
Speaker 3: Lebron? Oh?
Speaker 2: What you know what? I just fell in love with you all over it? All right? Last one, Danielle, does Nick always have to have the last word?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's surprising answer.
Speaker 3: I think I do. I mean I think you do with everybody else.
Speaker 4: You try with me, but I don't allow it because I have to had the last word.
Speaker 2: Man. That is self awareness, and I appreciate that answer.
Speaker 3: That's why you go to therapy.
Speaker 4: Oh, this lady can I three sessions about to.
Speaker 2: Say I'm proud of you and I'm happy for you. Well, I was kind of, and I'm glad you're doing it. But this lady has been to three therapy sessions and now though, Well, that's why everyone should be in therapy.
Speaker 4: Well, everybody should go. That's probably the other things I would fix. People should go to therapy. It's very important.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: It opens your eyes about yourself and people need to do that because people are stuck in their own I know everything, I'm right zone and need to.
Speaker 2: Get stuff together.
Speaker 3: Stuff together.
Speaker 2: Great show, great job. Dampo will be back at some date in the future. We are off Tuesday. Back on Thursday, a week from today. What's right