Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick Shot straining live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Well, the dust hast settled on the best reality TV show anywhere, that would be the NFL Draft. And now it's down and back to reality as we are back in here in the SWBC podcast studio for Mick Shots, Bill Jones, Mickey Spagnola, and it's the return of Everson Walls, who is right now scanning the undrafted free agents out there, knowing that there's gonna be in Everson Walls in this group song, I.
Speaker 4: Am looking at a man named Eric Scott. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: You go see what he's going to do for the boys.
Speaker 3: Got your corner back there, traded traded a fifth round pick next year in order to get into the top of the sixth round.
Speaker 5: And take that cornerback out of Southern Miss My sleeper of the draft.
Speaker 3: Really really yes, Okay.
Speaker 5: There's something to this kid and the reason one of the reasons why he uh kind of fell out of a lot of the Draft Knicks analysis is they saw a cornerback and they saw a forty time of four to seven.
Speaker 3: They did, and they thought they they did, then they thought, oh it might be ever Walls.
Speaker 4: Right, hey, I just see a couple of Walls plays right here. Now this guy's block.
Speaker 5: But what happened on his I think it was during his pro day that two steps into his forty he pulled a quad and he finished right that really running a four to four.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, well, like if you if you were in a four to seven, you really don't have any quad.
Speaker 5: You know what he did, and you know what he did. He ended up doing workouts for the Cowboys and sending them video. I'm sure his agent had a.
Speaker 2: Little bit to difficult. That's good marketing.
Speaker 5: And if you look at his highlights, you know he's had two interceptions, both for touchdowns, and he can scoot, so he may have fallen that far just because of that forty.
Speaker 3: Well, and the Draftnicks needed to look at his vertical and his broad jump. His vertical is thirty nine and a half and his broad jump eleven one, and he had sixteen bench reps twenty five pounds that's pretty good. How about sixteen bench reps for a cornerback.
Speaker 4: Of two hundred's having walls because I couldn't do any of that.
Speaker 3: So there you go, right off the top. It's Eric Scott.
Speaker 5: We're just start.
Speaker 4: We're going all the way down to the six wounds.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: We've got so much to get to, so little time to get there. All right, let's go, Uh, mickey, where would you like to start with our draft recap?
Speaker 5: Let's go with the first round pick, Mozzi Mozzie Smith. I've already nicknamed him the mos okay and uh now you did you see his bench press thirty four two twenty five thirty four times? Think about that?
Speaker 3: This guy might be the strongest player in the entire draft. Well, he's There were some that had thirty nine. It was one that had a thirty nine. Uh interest, But I'm talking about just as far as right power of the strength and the explosion and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: And I think long arms too, which takes a lot more effort.
Speaker 3: Ye, there's some thirty nine and some guys who can put up thirty nine reps, but they got twenty nine in charms.
Speaker 5: They ain't got fired to push it. And I just I'm all over this kid, his nature, his personality.
Speaker 3: He's got a Mica presence to him, yes, just the way he carries himself and the confidence that he has his upbringing.
Speaker 5: I mean, he may be strong, but I think he's pretty tough. And that's what you want in a nose tackle, right.
Speaker 3: That's why Micah was so excited about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no kidding, here's somebody's gonna keep people off me. And vandersh should have been excited too, But this guy doesn't look like he gets moved very much. So I like that. He said that when somebody tried to describe how fast he was or no, how strong he was, and he said, well, one of my friends said, I was like a refrigerator when you push it down a hill. So watch out for the.
Speaker 3: Moment helps up steam in a hurry, you know.
Speaker 2: And we want the only ones interested in it, right, I mean.
Speaker 5: Well, there was two defensive tackles went right after uh huh.
Speaker 4: By the way they said the chiefs. The Chiefs were trying to trade up to get Mazi.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the cowboys you know, they it's like, nah, I think we'll we'll do. And so before we get into pick by pick. I just wanted to point out a couple of things before we start. It's kind of what I wrote in my column to wrap up the draft. Number one, you got to remember where the Cowboys were drafting, right. You know you're at twenty six, twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty five for all your picks, the rounds are getting picked over. There were a lot of guys they were interested in that went off the board, and they had to just kind of sit there and be patient and follow their board. The other thing I think you need to remember if you're going to be honest about the draft, they spent three draft picks on trades for starters, right. They used the draft pick on brand and Cooks. They used the draft pick on Stefan Gilmore, and they use the draft pick on Jonathan Hankins. So if you throw those three guys into the total of their draft, I think they did a pretty darn good job considering where they were drafting, because it's not easy to draft that late, and it's usually not easy to be patient enough and not start trading picks again to move up for a certain guy. So I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 4: Well, I must say, once you establish having great first round picks over a number of years. You know, especially in the last ten twelve years, we've done extremely well. I'm going to put my trust in will you know. That's just the way I see it. If he thinks he's good, you've proven to me that I can trust you with first round picks. And this guy here seemed like to be no exception. Seemed like no exceptions.
Speaker 2: Off, all right.
Speaker 3: And I tweeted this out on Friday. On Friday morning, just doing some more research on Mizi Smith, I discovered a Philadelphia Eagles based podcast called Inside the Birds Podcast and Greg co Sell, who is a well respected talent evaluator in the league or in the medium. He on one of the podcasts leading up to the draft, he was talking about Mozzy Smith and the quote that I tweeted out from that podcast, he said, there's not another defensive line prospect in this class, including Jalen Carter, with the size, mass, live feet and short area explosives as Mozzi Smith. He's a pretty rare prospect.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And when you look at with the remember Randy White said for years, the manster said for years, you know what the Cowboys need on this We need those big bazukas in the middle of the offensive line, and in this draft, there weren't very many of those big bazukas in the middle of a defensive line, meaning a defensive tackle who is three hundred and twenty pounds or greater. Really, if you look at the five, they're about a handful that got drafted, maybe four or five of those defensive tackles who are three twenty or greater. One of them is Jalen Carter, who I mean, you look at his tape at Georgia and you can make a a great assessment that he is the number one player in this draft. The way he played. It's the other stuff that dropped him.
Speaker 5: Down, all right, And there was a lot of other stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you got Mazzie Smith, who is the twenty six pick of the draft. And then the next one there's a siaki Ika from Baylor. I think he went in the early he went number ninety eight overall. KeAndre Coburn from Texas went in late in the draft to Kansas City, sixth round pick, and that was basically it as far as those types. There's other defensive tackles, but they're three hundred and three oh five or whatever. Right, when you're looking at a guy who can play over eas and with the athleticism, and then the cowboys have talked about that, you can use him in a different way than what he was used in Michigan and unleash some of that athleticism that he's got.
Speaker 5: And I'll tell you what, when you see him in person. Whatever weight they listed him at, it's choice pounds. By the way, it's not big sloppy. He can put on another ten to fifteen pounds.
Speaker 3: But you saw and he used to weigh another twenty five pounds. Oh yes, And when he's there's a before and after picture of him when he got to Michigan and he got in that weight room and he transformed his body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one of the real reason why I make he likes this guy. I was looking at his bio.
Speaker 5: He graduated with a degree creative Writings to become a screenwriter. I'm gonna hand off to him, right, he can have mixed shots column all right, his well, his his his parent no grandparents put out a a newspaper during the Civil unrest in the sixties. I believe in grand rapids. Yeah, put out and it was a you know, a supplemental type newspaper, not the city newspaper, their own newspaper. So yeah, it was called the organizer. He's got he's got writing genes if nothing else, right, it's.
Speaker 3: A renaissance man, yes, absolutely so. Yeah, so we're all I'm all on board with Mazzie Smith, all right, and you know they're as Everson alluded to, their opportunities to trade down whatever, well it sounded like whoever's going to trade up at Mazzi on their mind. And in this draft, I think it was a deeper draft as far as overall now, but as far as the elite first round talent, it was it was a more shallow draft. And so you could make the case, yeah, you can benefit from having more draft picks in the third and fourth round or so forth, what you might be able to get. But for what this team needed for this defense, what Dan Quinn wanted for this defense, what Micah Parsons wanted for this defense, they needed to stay where they were and take the best player available right there for this team.
Speaker 5: And let's remember that eleven of seventeen opponents rushed for at least one hundred yards against the Cowboys and in their five losses, everybody rushed for at least one hundred and thirty six yards, including Green Bay with two oh seven and I think Jacksonville ended up with one ninety two. So if you look at their losses, what happened. They had problems stopping the run and they needed somebody in the middle. It got better after they made the draft deadline trade for Jonathan Hankins. Unfortunately he got nicked up and didn't get to play as much. Now they re signed him, and someone to say, well, they've already got Jonathan Hankins, Well, Jonathan Hankins has got a battle on his hand to get snaps, I think with this kid here.
Speaker 3: But it's a good Yeah, it's a rotation on the defensive line. Mike McCarthy talked about it last week in the pre draft press conference. It's emulating what the Cowboys did back in the nineties, where you're rotating guys in there on the defensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's a weird little title for the young man to take with me.
Speaker 2: Was named number one.
Speaker 4: Freak in college, Yes, yeah, right by the athletic the athletics Bruce, Yeah, I never heard of this guy.
Speaker 5: I never heard of that he did a freak like he does that every year, every year.
Speaker 3: Called last year, I can't remember who it was, but he was a number one on the list list about a dozen to fifteen freak athletes. I mean just they're rare type athleticism, and Mozzi was at the top of his list.
Speaker 2: Excellent. I love it, I love it.
Speaker 3: So all right, we're all on board with Mazzi.
Speaker 5: Good on Mazzi, Okay, second round, good.
Speaker 3: On schoon Maker, Luke Schoonmaker, the tight end out of Michigan, another Michigan man.
Speaker 5: So here's the here's the downside of drafting where they did because I think they thought and everybody else must have thought it too, that Sam Laporta would end up dropping to them, Right, everybody's going to take Mayor And who's everybody?
Speaker 3: Who's everybody's think of that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, everybody everybody that was predicting. Okay, right, not the scene called because the team's so called. But the Cowboys were hoping, right, and that hope went right out the door with the third pick in the second round when Detroit took Sam Laporta.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan Campbell a tight end by nature. He did not think that Sam laporter would drop all the way to fifty eight in the second round.
Speaker 5: Obviously no, obviously not. And he was. He was probably the best all purpose tight end, not a guy that's just going to be vertical, lineup out wide and catch passes. He can do everything. And that's what they were looking for, a tight end that could do everything, including blocking. And I'll go back to you know, they're at primes problems late in the season running the football. I don't think they got much from their tight end.
Speaker 2: They did in the blocking what happened there, So I'm not.
Speaker 4: Gonna list bags I was. I was looking at Maya. I thought Mayor would be an excellent pick for him.
Speaker 5: That was my He he went with the next pick, right.
Speaker 4: And so they don't think that he's as all around in regards to blocking. Who's that the Cowboys we don't think, well, we think that that Meyer was really all around tight end that we needed.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: I think I think they had them group together, yeah, And I don't we don't know how they how they had them rated, but I think they probably had a group of four or five that they were all that they were good with drafting, and in an early round in the second round. Yeah, and and Schoonmaker obviously was one of those guys because they took him, but I think Dalton Kincaid would have been. And he was the first one to go just ahead of them in the first round. And then you had Laporta and Mayor and then Luke Musgrave went forty two to Green Bay. So there's four right there that came off the board, and that the difference.
Speaker 4: I think the difference was they probably think he's a better run blocker than all of than all those four. Well, they didn't truly think that that has something to do. That was the difference in regards to picking him out of the four.
Speaker 3: That they were available, but they were no, they weren't, they were gone, they were on, Yeah they were so so it was more like, all right, it's the drop off in their opinion. Yeah, And so that's why they felt like they needed to go ahead and use the second round or on him, because they didn't they had it. The next grouping of tight ends were were maybe I don't know what.
Speaker 4: I would have to say that he out of the second group of tight ends, he's probably a better blocker than that particular group that was available.
Speaker 5: The fifth he was the fifth.
Speaker 2: Tight end understand so well.
Speaker 3: And the other my big Green notebooks. Darnell Washington was another one that I think they probably liked, but they didn't like the medicals on it, and so they were not going to draft him, and he wound up going late the third round of Pittsburgh and so there's some issues.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to be a running team.
Speaker 4: So I think that these tight ends they're looking at, whoever they fall to, it didn't matter.
Speaker 2: They'd better be able to block and be able to catch the ball.
Speaker 5: Yes, I saw one name came up undrafted free agents.
Speaker 2: It was a full back.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of them. Actually, that Princeton Fant from Tennessee is also a full back type. He's not he's not the tighty end height. He's like six to one down here. But Hunter Lipke from North Dakota State who ran for a lot of yards at North Dakota State, but two hundred and thirty five pounds. He I had him on my radar and I think he was probably a draftable guy. Didn't get drafted, but he's six to one and a quarter two hundred and thirty four pounds and actually could carry the ball too. I mean he's more than just a fullback because he ran for a.
Speaker 2: Lot of carrying the ball.
Speaker 3: No, I mean he was, no, he was.
Speaker 5: He was we need one yard.
Speaker 3: Now it was North Dakota State, Okay, so but.
Speaker 2: I mean he actually North State.
Speaker 3: Right, he ran for a lot of yards a lot of touchdowns for state. But but what the if you look back at what Mike McCarthy has done with his offense through the years, the John Coon days of the Packers, he loves that fullback. And so that that's why that's not a surprise.
Speaker 2: That's what the that's where the tight end is going to come in. That's right.
Speaker 3: And uh so it's not a surprise at all that they sounds like reportedly they've got a couple of fullbacks undrafted that are on the run Radar Hunter Lipkey and Princeton Fan and so.
Speaker 5: And by the way, let me clear this up because I heard some dy buddy talking about it this morning on the radio pointing out that they they guaranteed them two hundred thousand dollars. Right, Well, here's what the guarantee is. The guarantee is basically, we're going to keep you at least on the practice squad because if you're on the practice squad for the whole season, it comes to about two hundred thousand dollars. So basically that's that's the deal, uh, with the guarantee, so that that that they at least know that, if nothing else, I'm going to be on the practice squad.
Speaker 3: Here's the other thing about because there's a lot of talk out there that oh and I got immediate text for people saying, oh, they reached on the tight end in the second round. Whatever. Here was the dynamic of this draft compared to say, last year's draft. Last year, first tight end that was drafted in that draft was Trey McBride out of Colorado State. He went late in the second round, number fifty five overall, to the Arizona Cardinals by pick fifty five or fifty eight. When the Cowboys picked this year, there had already been four tight ends that were off the board. So if you put I think Mickey, if you put this tight end class in last year's draft, they would not have been coming off the board in the second round. You had better wide a deeper top end of the wide receiver class last year. Not taking anything away from these tight ends, but it's just the way this Hear draft worked where the tight ends came off the board in the second round. That's why you had to go get your tight end in the second.
Speaker 5: Round, and another tight end came off the board before they would have picked in the third round.
Speaker 3: Well, there are three tight ends. There was one right after.
Speaker 5: The m Tucker Kraft right and then right after them another title.
Speaker 3: Cameron Latou out of Alabama. There was one right after.
Speaker 5: Then Darnell Washington in their right.
Speaker 3: Who was off their board. But Y and Britton Strange went late second round too. But fourth round, there were like six tight ends that were drafted last year. This year there were no tight ends taken in the fourth round. And in fact, if you look at the entire draft, there were fifteen tight ends drafted this year. Well there were eighteen last year, but seventeen of those eighteen were drafted in the third round or later last year.
Speaker 5: And I think what people also need to remember when you're drafting that late in a round, it's almost like taking that guy in the next round, right, the twenty sixth pick in the first round.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 5: Probably you know you could say, well, you know, we don't take defensive tackles in the first hadn't done it since what Russell Maryland. But this is almost like a second round pick. The same thing with the tight end. It's almost like a third round. You know, all their picks, you can just say, okay, other than trading up for the first pick in the sixth round, all those picks are almost the next round.
Speaker 3: When you look at this tighty end Scoonmaker compared to Jake Ferguson, I really like Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 5: I do too.
Speaker 3: Of course, he was a fourth round pick last year. Last year's draft, I got the numbers here. Now, there was one tight end taken in the second round, there were four taken in the third round, and there were ten taken in the fourth round that year. I don't think that there was that much difference, probably in the grade of Schoonmaker versus Jake Ferguson last year. It's going to be very interesting. I think Schoonmaker, who by the way, is older then both Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot. He'll turn twenty five in September. I think he'll fit right into this room. Sean McEwan is fifteen months older than him. So you got four tight ends, so he he didn't play his first couple of years at Michigan. In fact, he was playing behind Sean McEwan, and.
Speaker 2: Then he was a starter.
Speaker 3: His last two years he was a I assume, you know, Michigan with Harbaugh, they've got a ton of tight ends on their roster.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: We have how many big ten tight ends we.
Speaker 3: Have for everybody else on this all of them big tight ends.
Speaker 2: I just realized that Indiana, right, one of the focuses of.
Speaker 5: Indian hendershot shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So that's crazy.
Speaker 3: So he's going to be very interesting. And McCarthy loves his tight end.
Speaker 5: So if they're going to and if they were going to run the game, if they want to have three tight end sets, they better be able to block. So maybe with this three they don't have to bring in a tackle to be the third blocking Titan. And when they go three tight.
Speaker 3: Which was what they had to do last year to try to get the run game going at all, exactly all right, we got much more to get to. We went through a whole segment and didn't even mention deuce.
Speaker 5: Well, we will have to correct.
Speaker 3: That wrong when we come back here on mixshots.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: We paid how much for those lessons?
Speaker 3: She's doing great?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: Can you pass me a pepsi zero sugar?
Speaker 1: Great job, honey, Oh look at that.
Speaker 8: That's not the end, No way. Now it's time for the encore.
Speaker 2: You know what, You're right?
Speaker 6: Five times not enough times for everyone who traded in rock concerts for their kids' recitals.
Speaker 3: You've compromised enough.
Speaker 5: Pepsi zero sugar.
Speaker 3: That's what I like. Nobody protects you from Mayhem, like all steak. You hear that. I'm a torrential downpour? Torrential what's that even mean? It means you can't see out of your windshield and if you have the wrong car insurance, you might have to make it rain to fix your bumper. So switch to all State, save money and be better protected from mayhem like me.
Speaker 8: Based on coverage in them, it's selected sentry to terms, conditions and availability in most states. Prices very based on how you buy All State Barn Cashty Insurance Company and Affiliates, north Brook, Illinois, Boom.
Speaker 6: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller Lite and Tim gallon hats while yelling how about them cowboys?
Speaker 3: You call it Miller Time in Dallas.
Speaker 6: Here's to the Cowboys, Here's to the original light beer.
Speaker 2: It's Miller Time.
Speaker 6: Celebrate responsibly twenty twenty one. Miller Brewing Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 5: To mixed shots. K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys. From corporate homes to your home. Have your roof checked by choice, not by chance. Call now two one four two two five four eight six to zero kpostcompany dot Com.
Speaker 2: Sounded good? Thanks all right.
Speaker 3: We started running down the Cowboys draft picks. We got through the first couple in the first twenty five minutes of the show.
Speaker 5: And we got to speed right right.
Speaker 3: At this rate, we won't get to the play of the day that was made on Saturday. So we're going to before we come back to the third round pick Demarvion overshown and the fourth round pick and your fey Hoko, let's skip ahead to the sixth round pick number two twelve. Yes, there are two deuces in two twelve, and there's one deuce on the Cowboys now, and I love the pick of Douce Vaughan. Who doesn't.
Speaker 5: It was a feel good moments, pretty most dramatic moment I think I've seen in all my years covering the draft, just how they set it up. Everybody in the room knew basically they were taking Douce Vaughan except for his father, Chris Vaughan, who's the Cowboys assistant director of college scouting, right and uh and the poor guy he had been He had been in conversation with his son during the draft, and his son it's falling right and falling, and he was talking about how you know, he said, Deuce was starting to think, Oh, my five to five height finally caught up with me right, I'm not going to get a chance here, and so he had been talking to him. Well, what they did was Jerry gets up in front of the room basically, and he starts talking about two other guys, right, and one of them they ended up taking Brooks the wide receiver in the seventh round. And it was almost like there was a debate going, Okay, we got this guy, and we got that guy, and now we got this pick, and let's talk about what we're going to do. Well, Jerry started, I mean, he must have gone it seemed like forever he went on right, and then finally there was this silence and there was a long, pregnant pause and it was almost like, oh, hell, put Vaughn's name on the car. And you should have seen Chris. He was just overwhelmed with emotion. Gets up. Everybody's clapping and cheering. He goes and standing yeah, goes and hugs Jerry, right, and they said, well, you make the call. So they gave him the fun to call his son, and obviously the it was the area code for Dallas shows up on the phone, right, and so Chris goes, he goes, hey, buddy, he goes, he goes yeah, my phone wasn't working, so I got this one and his son yeah huh. And then he goes, hey, how would you like to go to work with me on Monday? And the kid just I guess he lost it at his end, Chris lost. He barely could get the words out. He was crying and everybody was tearing up. It was quite an emotional, emotional deal, and I thought the cool thing of it was and Chris, they they pointed out that Chris never advocated for his son. Whenever that discussion came up, he backed off, I'm a pro. We got to discuss this back and forth. But the cool thing was, at that point in the draft and he knew it, but he didn't say it. The number one guy left on their board was Deuce Vaughan, So it wasn't like, oh, we're going to do this guy a favor, right, the kid deserved to get drafted according to their board at that point. Hey, and we're talking a damn good football.
Speaker 3: If he was five to nine and not five to five A second round pick. Yeah yeah, I mean he is in this draft. He is the most prolific running back in this draft. I mean, you just statistically, you just look what he did at Kansas State. He was a two time consensus All American the last couple of years at k State. Fourteen games last year, ran for fifteen hundred and fifty eight yards and nine touchdowns and caught forty two passes for another three hundred and seventy eight yards and three touchdowns. And he did the exact same thing every time previous year.
Speaker 2: He's all over the field.
Speaker 3: But I mean I even compared him. I mean, statistically, you compare his career, a three year career at Kansas State to b Jon Robinson's year career at Texas, and it's almost identical.
Speaker 6: All in all.
Speaker 3: Duce Van had seven hundred and sixty seven touches for four thousand, eight hundred eighty four yards and forty three touchdowns. Bijeon had five hundred ninety nine touches for four thousand, two hundred and fifteen yards and forty one touchdowns. I mean, he's got Bijon on his numbers from college.
Speaker 5: And let's remember they're playing against the same teams too. It's not like he was playing you know.
Speaker 3: And by the way, his team Big twelve, right, and by the way, his team won the Big twelve championships, and as much as we talk about what Max Duggan did for TCU in that game and carrying his team on his back, and it was Douce Van who was the MVP of that game. And then oh, by the way, he goes and plays Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and he goes eighty eight yards for a touchdown against NFL players.
Speaker 5: So yeah, And and Chris was sitting there saying, you know, because he was his his insides were getting eaten up, that no one was taking them, no one was making him. And his point was, I wanted him to get drafted if he was Deuce Johnson, not that he was Deuce Vaughan, son of college scout father, right, And he said, and inside he he goes, you know, I knew this kid inside out. He goes, heck, I sleep with his mother. That's how much. That's how much I know this kid, right, And he deserved to be drafted, right. And it lasted to two twelve. How many There weren't many more picks left in the sixth at that point, was there?
Speaker 2: Right? You know?
Speaker 4: But when you look at his career, it's not like he's a guy that plays in spots, right, I mean he plays every down.
Speaker 3: And he runs up the middle too.
Speaker 4: I never saw him, you know, get tired. He carries the load, which is something that you know, we're worried about here right since we lost zek And so that's the kind of thing that gives me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, will see.
Speaker 3: Will see the running back room, by the way. And by the way, who has the biggest hands in the running back room?
Speaker 5: I don't think I analyzed it that closely.
Speaker 3: It's a tie Tony Pollard and Deuce Vaughan nine and a half inch. So you talk about it, how small he is, how important is that big hands? Well, Deuce van and Tony Pollard have the same size hands, So there you go.
Speaker 5: And he's a pretty Those hands are pretty good too. He's pretty good, that's right.
Speaker 3: And okay, So the running back room consists of Tony Pollard and the draft pick, Deuce vaun and Malik Davis and Ronald Jones. En Rico Dowdle was signed back after being let go and then came back. So there's your five right now. And as and as Mickey just mentioned, it was asked of Jerry on Saturday, what about Zeke? And this ship is not sailed. Yeah, But I mean you look at what Deuce his what his talents are, his size and so forth, and where he was more of a satellite back whatever. They still have that need for something.
Speaker 5: And you know, and here's what goes on with a guy like him. Teams are gonna look after the draft. They'll get their guys in for the rookie mini camp, few OTAs and if it comes to June one, you start going, hmmm, maybe I can use that guy, and you know, just pay him something with loaded with in sentives and if he wants to still play, he'll do it. He Plus he likes it here too, by the way, and he's good in the locker room. So you know, I we'll see.
Speaker 4: When you look at someone like a Ronald Jones, that's the guy that he has a chance to kind of turn the page in his career.
Speaker 5: If given the opportunity.
Speaker 4: Given the opportunity, I mean, and once he's given it, he's got to come through.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: He doesn't have much room for air. I mean, was like myself going to the Giants. So maybe Dave Durris and Giant.
Speaker 5: Cowboys trading for Jonathan Hankins.
Speaker 4: There you go, this is your time to show us that what they said about you it was not correct. You know, show us, show us that the pro part of your resume, I don't want the con part of your resume. That's what we need to see because right now, Jones is the only running back that you could say could get us those tough yards if we chose to use them, and that's something we're going to need this year.
Speaker 2: Like you said, we still have hope. You know that things are not over between Zeke and the.
Speaker 4: Cowboys, but if it is, then Jones needs to be that replacement that's gonna move the chains. We need someone to move the chains. I like five to five, but I like six to one better.
Speaker 5: I wanted to remind myself of Davis's dimensions.
Speaker 3: Malik Davis. Yeah, yes, five to ten basically five nine and seven eighths two hundred two pounds at twelve. They like himymone right right.
Speaker 5: And I know they'd like him, you know, in the scouting department too. So yeah, don't go to sleep on him because I think he's got a little when he took advantage of his opportunities.
Speaker 4: Do you remember when you talked about Michael Parson was going up against big the offensive lineman. Right, size matters, yes, okay, size would matter with league Davis.
Speaker 3: And he has two two not to twelve two, and.
Speaker 4: It size matters in that regard. So we need a big body. I don't care how good of a runner they are.
Speaker 3: We need a big But even with Ronald Jones, well he's five years in the league, they're going into a sixth year. But coming out of USC, he's two hundred and five pounds, Zeke coming out of Ohio State two hundred and twenty five pounds, and Pollard coming out of Memphis two hundred and ten pounds.
Speaker 5: So which, by the way, if you noticed when you walked in the door, today was the first day that the coaches could be on the field with the players in the off season. You can tell I think everybody was out there. There was sixty players out there, I'll guarantee, out.
Speaker 2: There drinking water. They've got ropes going, they're doing the shovel everything.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, the homes and his chiefs are over here at TCU and the indoor facility they're working out don't look anything like But yeah, this looks like a regular season.
Speaker 5: No I thought when I was like, whoa and then I thought, oh the draft. Everybody said, okay, they got is what seven seven more guys, eight more guys? Better get my butt out there and work.
Speaker 3: That's always been the advantage of being in Dallas.
Speaker 5: Coaches are coaches.
Speaker 3: Are wires, living here a year round.
Speaker 5: And so that's why I always love the rookie mini camp because all of a sudden, you see the veterans out watching, right, got to size up their competition.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue you with more mixed shots than just a moment.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: I'm Douk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home. Blockchain dot Com is just a few taps a weight put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 2: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 7: And anyone in between, blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com to buy millions. Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 3: Hey Cowboys Fins, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kiero Guacamole. Be the game day hero. Yo kiro means I want and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero Guacamole.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only efficient fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas with Star Sports Tours. You can visit Cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 5: Today to Mixed Shots, country Music is rocking the Star in Frisco with a free multi day fan festival ahead of the big show. Come celebrate country Music's party of the year at the ACM Country Kickoff May ninth and tenth. The fun starts each day at three pm with live performances from the newest country music stars, pop up shops, exclusive artists, merch, a beer garden, food trucks, and much more. Visit Acmcountrykickoff dot com for more information.
Speaker 3: All right, final segment here at Mixed Shots, where you got another twenty minutes to go. We got a lot of draft picks still to get to and so let's backtrack to the third round and marveon over shown the linebacker from the University of Texas at a little art Texes piney Wood piney Woods of East Texas, just outside Tyler, population nine hundred and eighty two.
Speaker 5: He was or is he a linebacker?
Speaker 3: Okay? Is he was a safety coming out of ARP Texas and in fact an under armour All American and then converted after a couple of years at Texas to linebacker and became a three year starter and All Big twelve linebacker.
Speaker 5: And what were his dimensions?
Speaker 2: Six? Yeah?
Speaker 3: He is officially six three, two hundred and twenty nine pounds, ran a four five six forty with a one fifty nine split with fifteen bench reps, a thirty six and a half vertical, and a ten to four broad jump.
Speaker 5: So dan Quinn got another little toy to play.
Speaker 3: With, right, so fossil?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, back, especially safety.
Speaker 5: Especially little teams because he played a whole lot of special teams and they needed a linebacker. I'm not saying they drafted a special teams player, but I think he's like a change up, you know, defensive guy.
Speaker 2: Did he get much playing time in college? Was he.
Speaker 3: First team All Big twelve? Yeah? And he's he's got that dog mentality. Yeah, he's got a passion that he loves football.
Speaker 2: I really like him, and they and they can use him because it's just paling it on. I mean, we have so many.
Speaker 5: But they didn't have a lot of linebackers. They needed depth at the linebackers spot.
Speaker 3: You see linebackers get hurt across them. It's not just here, it's across the league line back that's a running backs get hurt. Linebackers get hurt. And Uh, but to your point, I love the fact that he's a converted safety in today's NFL and the the dickle sub packages and so forth, and and his ability to defend the pass. And he had four sacks ten tackles for loss last year at Texas. Uh. This is he's a baller.
Speaker 5: So if they need somebody behind jay Ron Curse, don't be surprised. So he's got some position flex and that was one of the things that was used in the press conference, Uh, when they talked about him position.
Speaker 3: Interesting you mentioned jay Ron Curse there, because sixty three two twenty nine for overshown and curse when he came out sixty four to two sixteen curse of four six two forty. This guy's a four five six. It's a very very similar as far as the other four five, Yeah, four or five not bad. Yeah, No, he's there's a reason he was under Armor All American in high school.
Speaker 5: They so he's a guy that you can play close to the line of scrimmage like a linebacker. But he's got some coverage skills and special team skills. So yeah, I like to.
Speaker 3: Pick Okay, let's move on to the fourth round.
Speaker 5: Oh, watch out for this.
Speaker 3: Galiami fa Hoko. But you can call him junior Fajoko.
Speaker 5: Junior Feyjoko and no relation to the Fojokos.
Speaker 3: Wanting to ask is related to Vita Vea second cousin of Vita Vea in Tampa Bay and Tampa Bay, yep and out of San Jose State, sixty three and three quarters inches tall, two hundred and eighty two pounds, and he can get after you. As the Mountain West Conference Player of the year, four year starter, he had nine sacks last year, about eight sacks the year before. I'm very productive. He's a relentless player and dan Quinn has just got to love this.
Speaker 5: And if you look at his body type and the way he plays, he's a defensive tackle in the making, I believe too. Not just an edge guy because he's not like one of those type guys that plays defensive end, because I believe I read they played a three to four at San Jose State and he was a defensive end. But that's like being a defensive tackle. So if if this is another guy that can play the three technique with his speed and strength, they might have landed something here.
Speaker 4: So the emphasis is to stop the run and to be able to run. That's going to be our emphasis.
Speaker 5: Sounds like what they had in their minds. Yes, and just looking at his body type, you know, he could be a defensive tackle a three technique and he'll find his way into the rotation. Now he played was that Mountain West? Yes, so again, but boy, when you see him taking advantage of those offensive tackles in that conference, it was it was frightening. So keep an eye on what this guy.
Speaker 2: Can do, you know, all the draft, all the picks that we have, much pedigree comes with him. Their resume is amazing. You know.
Speaker 4: So as much as they talk about Philly, I think they say won the draft. Right, every want to say Philly won the draft, and the Cowboys lukewarm. They're pretty lukewarm on our picks from what I could do.
Speaker 5: Well, when you're drafting, what ninth. What did they take Carter at the number nine? Number nine? You better win the draft, right, you're drafting twenty six. No one takes that into consideration.
Speaker 3: There's so much focus on the top fifty picks in the draft that I mean, here's a guy for Hoko. If you go look at those the so called draft experts, they for Hoko is like seventh round or whatever. And that doesn't mean he's a seventh round prospect. The people that do this for a living, obviously, with the Cowboys fourth round pick, he's a rugby player. You think he's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they forget their pads all the time.
Speaker 5: There was another something that he pointed out about being the first or second Polynesian player. I forgot what the term was. Oh, but those guys are tough, Mark twany.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I approve of that pick, Junior for Hoko. All right, all right, So we're gonna go fast forward to the fifth round.
Speaker 2: Now, I have never heard of y'all educated me.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, say his name, awesome, awesome, Richards.
Speaker 5: He's a scene to me until he proves he's awesome.
Speaker 3: But he pronounces it, I know, awesome, awesome. I wonder though, if indeed he if it was pronounced us seem And then he got into college and his teammates and coaches said, no, we're calling you awesome.
Speaker 5: Another guy, another guy that it sounds like, has position flex too, that he could play. He could compete at guard, so beware.
Speaker 3: Six ' four, three hundred and nine pounds, and he has those thirty four inch arms that you're looking for, and had some decent athleticism. Needs to strengthen a little bit thirteen bench reps. But but you know, the Cowboys obviously have that opening at the end at left guard, and I would think he'll be thrown into the mix along with a bunch of other guys. Yeah, and see who comes out.
Speaker 5: I mean, they keep talking about Josh Ball. I don't know about a six eight guard. It might hit him in the head too much if he stands up. But you know, I wonder if they if they also train will let's go inside?
Speaker 3: That was not asked. I don't think. No, there's another one six seven and five eighths is well let's.
Speaker 5: Go Yeah, And you know, I know they they were thinking he would be the backup tackle. Then he got hurt.
Speaker 3: You know, I like some of what Josh Ball did in the run game last year, and there's one opportunity after Terrence Steele got hurt in the Houston game, second half of the Houston game, and so I'm intrigued by that. But you're right at over six seven, basically six seven and a half, it seems rather tall for a guard.
Speaker 5: So I think we're going to see open competition there.
Speaker 3: Schuma Edoga is the free agent signing, of course from Atlanta who originally was a third round draft pick himself in twenty nineteen by the Jets and started eight games his first year with the Jets. But he's been playing tackle throughout his career and so we'll see how he fares at that guard position.
Speaker 5: Too, right, Yeah, So, and I think that's another thing that for this draft and the guys they have, there's a lot of position flex. They're not just one thing. And you know, when you're putting you or you know what forty eight man Dame game Day roster together, you need position flex.
Speaker 3: But let's face it, fifth round picks don't normally start their first year in the.
Speaker 5: NFL, especially on the offensive line.
Speaker 3: Terrence Steele was a rarity as an undrafted guy starting his rookie year at right tackle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he was only undrafted because of certain situations, right, I mean why was he undrafted?
Speaker 9: What was I don't know, my wife, who's a Red Raider.
Speaker 2: That's a fault.
Speaker 5: Sometimes sometimes, you know, you develop, and you know, you get in that weight room and all of a sudden, you know, and you get an opportunity and things things turn out. Right.
Speaker 4: Hey, well, look I agree with you. I'm looking at Austin's uh highlight reel. Yeah, you think, okay, a guy only bitch presses thirteen two twenty five?
Speaker 2: Correct? Is that what you just said, Bill?
Speaker 3: That's just what was reported.
Speaker 4: So then he's got to be able to make it up in some other way. You know, if you're not fast, and you better think fast, you know. If you're not fast, you better be quick as hell, you know. And if you don't have good good hands, if it's not a strong hands, you better have good feet.
Speaker 2: And that is what I see here on his highlights.
Speaker 4: It's very clear that he has quick and good footwork that can make up for whoever your definite deficit is in some other part of your game.
Speaker 5: That's the first thing I look at for offensive line their footwork. His footwork is very good feet.
Speaker 2: His footwork is very good. I can see that right now.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm tender trying to figure out why was Terrence Steele not drafted? And so I just pulled. I'm not even gonna say the name of the person, just this random overview of Terrence Steel coming out of Texas Tech. Because his numbers is six ' six, I mean, how does this guy not get drafted? Six three hundred twelve pounds with thirty five and an eighth inch arms And he ran a five TOHO three twenty seven bench reps with thirty five inch arms. All right, and so here is what this analysis was. And he's a four year starter team captain with desired NFL size and length, but a lack of functional bend and reactive movement is hard to get past. He's an intelligent, experience right tackle who works to his abilities on a fairly consistent basis. He struggles when his length can't save him against moving targets in the run game and against sharp rush counters in pass pro. Despite his leg stiffness, he does a nice job of taking out opponents in front of him, but NFL tackles require much better reactive athleticism and recovery ability than he's able to play with.
Speaker 4: When they watched two days, what happened that I'm not saying who that was.
Speaker 3: That's an example of the very worst. There's so many guys that heard heard that sounds got cut in the first week of training.
Speaker 2: Count that's what that sounds like.
Speaker 4: Whoever they're talking about, I wasn't Steele, uh huh.
Speaker 5: And he was a he was a better run blocker.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: That's right. So I don't know what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but again there's three hundred and fifty prospects that got him get invited to the Combine, and then however many more. I mean Dame Bruggler had eighteen hundred prospects that he because it's a full time job of his, they analyze all those people.
Speaker 5: If he if he that wasn't Dane, if he analyzed or wrote about fifty cornerbacks. Eric Scott was like around. He didn't even get a write up. He was just listed as the others around seventy something.
Speaker 3: I thought, I'll confess he was not in the big gun.
Speaker 2: Well what did you miss?
Speaker 5: Bill? But you you're thinking.
Speaker 3: That's because I'm having to rely on this so called draft EXAs to tell me who I need to.
Speaker 5: Look at Southern Mississippi, right and right away. If he's at Southern, he's got a chip on his shoulder, by the right, because the other schools he had to go to Butler Junior College to get Lawrence went through that, yeah, exactly, and then it shows up. But it's a cornerback that runs for seven, you know.
Speaker 2: But they didn't know.
Speaker 5: Why he ran. At least he finished it, you know, uh, and then couldn't do any I don't think he did any other running or whatever that day. But the Cowboys obviously knew about him, right. And if you look at his he don't look for seven when he's playing for This is just steel of the This is my sleeper sleep for Hooko is mine. I think, Okay, I think both of them. Will you know, there's a reason why they gave up a fifth next year to move to the top pick in the sixth round, because they must have known somebody else knew about him, right, and they wasn't going to last.
Speaker 3: Let's see, they gave up a fifth round pick Fordon Cooks, right, they gave up a fifth round pick for Stefan Gilbour, Right, what was around for sixth round for Hankins And now they give up a fifth round pick for Eric Scott. That's a pretty fair company that he's at.
Speaker 5: And again, when we're talking the draft, you're talking three guys that you used draft picks for us that are going to start.
Speaker 2: They have to be included in what your affecting.
Speaker 5: This because those would have been your ammunition to move up in rounds right to maybe say, okay, we can move up use one of these. Well, you already used him for two sure starters. The third guys at least a rotation guy, if not a starter until Mozzi's ready to go. And then you picked But the guy you took in the first round probably a starter. The second round. He's in the top three mix of the tight ends, right and Overshan is going to be the Swiss Army knife guy on this team.
Speaker 3: By the way, I would do that every year in the draft. I would take like in the beginning of the sixth round. I would take my sixth round pick next year and trade it to get into the sixth round. If I like a player, I would do that every I would just you just do it every single year, you don't have a sixth round. Okay, I'm going to use next year, so I'm going to trade in. And Philadelphia did that at the top of the fourth round and got Keeley Ringo, the cornerback from Georgia who had slipped out of the second day. They used next year's fourth traded with Houston and got the number one oh Fight the third pick of the day on Saturday, and got Ringo. Well, the Cowboys did the same thing in the sixth round and got Eric Scott.
Speaker 5: So real quick. Here are two things they didn't get and basically because they were being patient, neither they had the two kickers. They would have drafted one of them if they got to Michigan and Maryland. The kid from Maryland Ryland, I think they liked him the best. But both of them got drafted or what third round and fourth third round and fourth round, right, wow, But they liked them, so they were on them. And then the fourth quarterback Groom, a backup type. They liked the old Connell kid from pre jading O'Connell and he got drafted way before late late last and before that I think Tune went and and so they looked at it those those two positions, fifth, sixth, seventh, somewhere in there. But those guys didn't last. And you know, if you're going to follow your board, you don't jump ahead and take a guy when you feel like you have other things more pressing to draft. So from a kicker standpoint there, I would imagine they're going to sign some another veteran at least uh and then see where that goes. But I guarantee you of all the veteran kickers out did Robbie Gould? Did I see he got picked up after San Francisco let him go?
Speaker 3: Uh? He I thought he did. No, I don't have him lest a fell behind on my my.
Speaker 2: Markings on it.
Speaker 5: Okay, so maybe he's out there. But for for who had the best season last year, that's still out there.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I hate to bring it up, but it's Brett Maher. You know, despite what happened down the stretch and in the playoffs, from a regular season standpoint, I think he only missed three field goals something like that.
Speaker 2: So no one wants to hear that right now.
Speaker 5: I know, I know. But these these guys, they're you know, kickers aren't dime a dozen or if they are. That's why it's only a dime, So they're going to have to do some work there.
Speaker 3: Ryan suck Up may still be out there. Randy Bullock. I could be wrong on those, but I had them. I tried to track them throughout the off season. I had. I did not have them with new teams yet.
Speaker 5: See, and those guys, whatever their prices, well it's come down now, right, don't have a job and it's almost it's the first of May.
Speaker 3: But they'll probably handle it unless they get pressed where they need. You know, the market out there for these veteran guys, if if someone if they're going to sign there, I'm sure they are in contact with their agents and they'll probably take a look at college guys like they did last year when they brought Garabe in and then they was later where they brought.
Speaker 5: Mar we'll have another kicking competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So and as for the quarterback thing, we'll see if they sign one in free agency.
Speaker 3: I mean college free agency, college free agency.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll see where that goes. But whoever they bring in, it's got to be somebody that's worth competing with.
Speaker 3: Will Grier could be watching this XFL and watching this.
Speaker 2: XFL quarterbacks. Man, I'm sorry. You know what, though, I can't get behind him. Can have you watched this?
Speaker 3: Perez for the Arlington Renegades. In fact, they picked him up the middle of the season. He's from Texas A and M Commerce. Very very successful in college at Texas A and M Commerce. He's got a little something about him. Yeah, and he was, in fact Louis Perez.
Speaker 2: And when did he play? Did he was? He played the championship team.
Speaker 3: Well he's he's playing for the championship.
Speaker 2: Now, No, I mean college championship.
Speaker 3: It was A and M Commerce. They he was like the college player of the year at that level. He won the Harlan Hill Trophy and they won the national championship in twenty seventeen. Coach, they kid okay, yeah, I coach, they kid six twenty two players.
Speaker 4: We had some All American game out in uh in California. Oh really, Yeah, that was two years ago, so he's about two years out of college.
Speaker 3: But he now in twenty eighteen, he was signed with the Rams and he's played and he's been around the block and.
Speaker 2: Then some No, we're talking to a different guy. Okay.
Speaker 3: He's played for the Birmingham Iron, the Los Angeles Wildcats, which I guess was XFL, New York Guardians, New Jersey Generals USFL last year, was with the Rams a little bit last year, and he was with the Vegas Vipers this year, and now the Renegades picked him up and he's got him in the championship game in two weeks and.
Speaker 5: They actually scored a bunch of points against.
Speaker 2: But my point, even on.
Speaker 3: Bringing it up, is there's there's another pool there in the spring football, whether it's the XFL or the USFL, where these guys are getting playing time. Ben Denucci was playing for Seat all the Sea Dragons.
Speaker 2: I to stop bringing that name up. A. J.
Speaker 3: Mcerren is out there with the Saint Louis. He's the Stars. Saint Louis has a football team again, and AJ mccarren's the toast of the town.
Speaker 5: All right, we've digressed, all right, all right?
Speaker 2: So all right, books welcome.
Speaker 3: That's what all we got on Jaylen books right now. We talked about him earlier.
Speaker 5: Slawn here it is, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So as we wrap things up, uh, one of the rookies.
Speaker 5: Here, not not not the first, it's the week later, the second and then they just dive right into the weekend.
Speaker 3: Used to, they would come in for a rookie camp the weekend after the draft.
Speaker 5: And they go home. Yeah, and then they have to come back right.
Speaker 3: So now now they pushed it back to where it just marries right into the.
Speaker 5: Off season program exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, that does it for a Monday edition of Mixed Shots, and we will shout at you again next Monday, Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.