Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories done done, Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 3: An sview podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Liza Trigger and I'm Kara Klank And every week it's SVEW episode recaps, it's true crime deep dives, and it's interviews with people that are on the show. And sometimes it is but then at up top, we just like to chit chat about what's going on in the world, life and the pursuit of happiness.
Speaker 2: So I was so scared about my new laptop, you know, like I just have so many fears and every time anything happens, I so I didn't use it for I would say days. I just listened to music because I've been reading. So I finished all the books. I bought a new one today by the same author. I was sobbing on a bench this weekend. Sobbing on a bench. This book made me cry. But anyways, but I got back into the laptop and I didn't realize how poorly I had been living. Like you know, when you split the like Google Chrome half page, half page.
Speaker 3: I had to do it two to three times. It wouldn't just do it.
Speaker 2: And so like the fact that it just does it is like wait, what like the clickity clacks feel good?
Speaker 3: Like everything is just kind of actually, yeah, it's been nice. It's been nice today. I love a new laptop. I feel like they just run.
Speaker 1: They run so well for the first like few months you get one, and then you know, it all starts going downhill. But we did last week on the pod this guy who had you know, donated a sperm and had like a billion kids or whatever, And we did have a listener write us. I will not identify them, but they did say that they used to date this guy. Oh my god. Him and his wife broke up a long time ago. They had one kid together and they broke up and she never got over the the wife never got over the donor of it all. Yeah, the like being with somebody, being with somebody who's like secretly the dad of like seventy five kids, that's a lot. That's that's stressful. I don't know if I could do that. I don't know if true love could overcome that. Casey, Casey's making a face like a yikes. Yeah, I mean not that I'm saying men shouldn't donate sperm. I mean, I guess it's a good cause people need sperm, but dang, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know most people I know that have No, that's not true.
Speaker 1: I have I know people who have gotten sperm from people they know and from strangers, so from like a from banks. So I don't fucking know what I would do if I met a guy that was like the love of my life and was like, guess what, I have seventy five kids.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would rather someone have seventy five kids they don't know than one kid.
Speaker 3: They do know.
Speaker 1: You would never date someone with a kid, No, never, you know that about me? I feel like, yeah, I feel like I thought that if it was like I feel like you would if it was like a thirteen year old.
Speaker 3: That was cool or something. No, we've talked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, why would I Well, because if you're a good I would want you to be a good parent, and then I wouldn't. Then I I don't want the kid in my house, you know what I mean. But then if you're a deadbeat, that's like a very unattractive quality. Yeah, but like I would never be able to date a parent because you're either involved with your kid, which is not a life I have never not involved with your kid, which means we're which is the most unattractive thing you can I can imagine. I don't want children, so I want to be with someone who also doesn't want children. Like that makes sense to me, right, like sense? Yeah, like I don't want it, Like if someone has a aseec to me like that's hot, or if they donated a bunch of sperm and don't care, like that makes sense to me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you would be a perfect match for this guy, probably although he wanted kids, I guess because he did have one of his own children.
Speaker 3: But the seventy five kids he doesn't know, not a problem for you. No, no, yeah, doesn't bother me. No, no, me.
Speaker 1: Neither doesn't bother me. And generated that's a lot of spur. That's a lot, you know, like a lot of people are picking you. I feel like they need to retire your number at some point, you know, which I guess they do do, but not before seventy five kids are born. And also there's no there's no it's like police departments. There's no jurisdiction across the different states, so they're going to different places.
Speaker 2: And I'm also shout out Asie Giean his UH number thirteen was retired, the White Sox manager of the World Series winning team, and they like they told it to him on air and he cried. And the first thing he said was where's my wife? Oh so cute, that's nice. And his wife used to get her pussy waxed at the salon I worked at as an exceptionist.
Speaker 1: Everything comes full circle. Everyone is connected. This world is a series of interconnected people.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And today the Hudson Williams Peloton ad came out, like can you even believe it?
Speaker 3: I didn't know about it.
Speaker 2: What happened and behind the scenes and immediately, well they like teased the video yesterday and it's just like hot and incredible. I mean, Peloton whatever, thirsty bitches and gay dudes are working at Peloton and objectifying the men throughout the years.
Speaker 1: God bless you. Yeah, it's been a joy. The nude maloney. And now what is Hudson doing.
Speaker 2: He's in a little he's truly like dancing working out looking like come fuck me and I knew the choreographer is gonna be cool, and then it's a woman director.
Speaker 3: I just like really love everything that they're doing.
Speaker 2: I think like every choice they're doing is perfect, and every little commercial and everything they do is also a nod to this, like to the Long Game book. It's kind of crazy, like it are so much meta within the ads. I feel it's like it's we're losing our minds, but it is real.
Speaker 3: But he looks hot, he's on the treadmill.
Speaker 2: He's just like working out in this room and doing really cool choreo and dancing in a fun outfit, and his absolutely insane. Like the second season, they're gonna look insane, it's gonna be nuts.
Speaker 3: They insane the first season.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, but I don't know if you've been seeing them, but it's it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: The bods.
Speaker 1: Oh, a lot of people were messaging what are they mad at about?
Speaker 3: Polly did the community because we have cool listeners, you just actually get a lot of pushback on the ball.
Speaker 1: Well, some people were just like people can be cool in Polly and not be dating and leaving their wives at home and doing all that. But it was truly the definition your life at home to go hang out with someone else. It was the Shane and Ilia look alike contests that those two guys are dating.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like the best the universe keeps expanding, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these lookalike contests are so funny to me. I like when they show up, the people that are the lookalike subject show up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like you know, so they obviously like made out hardcore and then at the contest and that was hot. But then they did an interview about their date and one of their kind of dorks they went on an eight hour date, and one of them was like, well, yeah, and then we ended up harmonizing, and the other one was like, I thought we weren't gonna say anything about that.
Speaker 3: So like it's really cute. They're like sang together, oh my god, and the other ones like, don't say that. And yeah, they were so cute.
Speaker 2: And then they went to a women's hockey game and then the actress who placed Vetlana was there and they wore the jerseys and like took photos with her, and so like everyone's just kind of pumped for everyone.
Speaker 3: Like the fandom is really nice. I mean, I'm sure there's like some psychopaths hit it in the corners. The girl that the girl.
Speaker 2: There's a girl who was making such good trailers and edits of heated rivalry that HBO hired her and now she's an official trailer maker and does all their stuff.
Speaker 3: The Dream The Dream, and we followed each other recently, so no big deal.
Speaker 1: Anyday, I would say, you're probably in the upper echelon of the fandom.
Speaker 3: I would say, now everyone's in the fandom.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw my story or not, but I think I'm going to do it more this year.
Speaker 3: But I read a book on my fire escape. Oh that's fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun. I put a blanket out, I sat, I wore a hat. I need some block for sure. A lot of people commented, and yeah, I was unfortunately up till five.
Speaker 3: In the morning. I've been reading all day, all night. I haven't slept.
Speaker 2: I've been researching since seven in the morning for our podcast, and I'm holding on by a thread. And I and then I had an hour between finishing research and us podcasting, and I rushed to the.
Speaker 3: Barnes and Noble and bought another gay book. To buy another book. I need another book. I'm ready for more.
Speaker 2: I'm ready for more. I was reading it like I just like, I don't know what's happening. But this one was extra go and it's New York. I'm on his hair on it.
Speaker 1: I love a fire escape hanging. Oh my gosh, I love it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it could be escape, but I don't know if I have another person. Yeah, it's a little tough to get. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Trying to think if i'd feel safe with two people being there, but.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, yeah, it would usually just be two of us, Max on my sisters, but I never had one on my own apartment.
Speaker 3: But I liked other people's.
Speaker 2: Wait, what's going on with Rosie's hair like ponytail situation?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So at her first game, where by the way, she scored two runs, she that was mostly she no, she did well, she did really well. Like the parents were like, she's never played before, and I was like, no, she's never played, and they were like, she's doing good. So but I for a little while, she let me put her hair into the hole of the hat, which was a huge, a huge, but then she took it down and the co which I approached the coach and said you know, if you feel like Rosie needs to put her hair up, you can absolutely tell her that. She won't take it for me, but she'll take it from you. And he goes, yeah, I think I'm gonna tell her for safety and I go, yeah, thanks. So we got to work on it for next game.
Speaker 2: Well, so you know, my soul cycle classes are popular, so to fit more people, she'll like the teacher will be off the bike and let others, like people be on the podium that are really good to fit more people in.
Speaker 3: And the last podium girl was hair down the whole time. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So after class I did approach her and I goes, so, what are we doing hair?
Speaker 3: Like, how are you doing it? Hair down?
Speaker 2: And she goes, I fucking love it. She goes, I feel so cool, like she likes so whip better, like she felt awesome.
Speaker 1: You know, I wonder if she's a dancer because my friend I just talked to my friend about this, who I work out with all the time, and I was like, how do you have your hair down? Like it really is so freaky to me, Like I cannot have sweaty hair on the back of my neck.
Speaker 3: She goes, it's like a dance thing.
Speaker 1: It's like dancing, like when you're a dancer, because she's a big dancer, and she's like it's just a part of the like the hairography is like part of it, you know.
Speaker 3: Like so maybe they've just trained themselves. It's not gonna be me.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just went to the gym this morning and it was up as high as it could go on the top of my head, like I can't, I cannot have it back down there. But both my children just got haircuts, so we've been we've been trying to weed wax that hair away.
Speaker 3: Did you already sign up for summer camp? What's happening with that? Yes, they're going to camps. I'm up. I was up.
Speaker 1: I didn't have to do the full gauntlet that I did, like where the Taylor Swift Zoo camp situation that I've had to do before, but because I'm I'm not going to be in la really, but I had to wake up to get them into an East Coast summer camp at like five in the morning because you know, their registration is three hours ahead, so you know they're in.
Speaker 3: They're going to different camps, but like mostly just what are the coast camps.
Speaker 1: Well, one in Connecticut that's a farm camp that they did last year.
Speaker 3: They loved that.
Speaker 1: They're doing the farm camp again, and then they're doing two weeks of this beach camp, which is supposed to be great and the only problem is if it really really rains, they just cancel the day and I'm like, oh, that's gonna be bad, but hopefully it just won't happen. And then then they're going to the Rosie's going to the two weeks of the camp that I went to. The overnight camp has a day camp, and she's doing the two week session of that. Oscar doesn't know yet that he's too young to go, so he's been signed up for a different camp and does not know that he will be separated from his sister for two weeks. But we will ease into that as time goes on. So that's that's it. That's the camps. We're all set. Luckily the camp's in LA. It's terrible. I mean, I'm I want to blame Trump, but it's like all of the rec center camps, Like the rec centers aren't getting as much money as they used to. All the camps that used to be really affordable for people in the community are twice as much this year, three times as much. It's like really really tough, tough times. And I like to blame Trump if I can, aka Jesus Christ himself.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'd like to I'd like to reach out to the audience. Listen, So you know I bought all these nice sheets. I'm living a charmed life. I love the sheets.
Speaker 3: I don't no matter how.
Speaker 2: Much do you spend and you tie the corners? Why is the comforter inside the duvet?
Speaker 3: Like the duvet? Answer?
Speaker 2: Why does it untie? And why is it moving around within it? What is the solution?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What the fuck? And shout out to the people that went to the moon. But anyways, ah, just.
Speaker 3: Quick shout out to the people who went to the moon duvet covers? Where are we with that? Listen?
Speaker 2: I woke up at a in the morning screaming. I started creating, scream crying, going why can't I figure it?
Speaker 3: Like it took I was? I just? Am I sleeping? Crazy? Am I kicking too much? Like? How is it untied? And then sometimes it's it's still tied and yet moving Like I don't understand. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I think all it takes is one corner coming undone and the whole thing gets fucked up. But it's really crazy. We need to figure out we need to get those astronauts back down from the moon and figure out more duvet technology. Maybe by technology, I don't know, a magnet could smack you in the face in the night if you're thrashing. But my duvet ties inside, and I'm talking I have like a nice west elm or a or a parachute or something cover. The ties inside just ripped out one time, just ripped out when I was trying to tie them.
Speaker 3: So now my comforters just loosey goosey in there. I need to get a new duvet. But yeah, the tie system, it's not perfect.
Speaker 2: But then some people are just like I understand, being like naked, like just just raw dogging the comforter.
Speaker 3: But I think you'd have to have your own washer and dryer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they make every duvet like bright bright white, like they don't really ever come in like patterns that would make more sense to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I do know.
Speaker 1: I think, I mean, I think I've been thinking about this a lot. The dude, Yeah, we need to get we need to. We need to step it up on the Douvet technology.
Speaker 2: It's just like I'm spending hundreds and I'm having the problems of peasants, Like I don't want that. Like it's just like I don't like that. Why am I still having Ikia problems with my west SLM sheets with.
Speaker 1: Your Champagne dream Yeah, exactly. Yeah, that's what I'm not understanding. Yes, it's annoying as fuck. I took Rosie and her for best friends, four boys to a birthday for her birthday last weekend, I took them to a jump place and them back to our house for chaos and pizza and a sleep under if you will, which is you know, we've talked about this already where people leave early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of male energy in there.
Speaker 1: She was so happy, She was so happy to just be surrounded by boys and have like you know, and Oscar had a little friend there who.
Speaker 3: Was a girl, and she was like, this is a lot. I felt bad for her. I was like, is she gonna be okay?
Speaker 1: But the Friday night before I had this fucking sleepover, I got extremely drunk, and because I did, my the co host of my other podcast, Jackie, she does this thing every Friday where she's live streams with this guy Holden, and they do shots and they get really fucked up.
Speaker 3: They smoke weed.
Speaker 1: They just get fucked up and people watch them and like send them money. It's like a twitch thing. And he couldn't do it, and so I've done it before. I did it in December, and I had a great time, and I didn't I like, I got drunk, but not too crazy.
Speaker 3: You don't say this time.
Speaker 1: I fucking just didn't eat anything and thought that we were going to somehow eat in the middle, even though we usually always.
Speaker 3: The only other time I did it, we ate at the end.
Speaker 1: So I only lasted three and a half hours and then I had to tap out and I did throw up. And I have not thrown up from drinking in four years. I think you were with me the last time I threw up from drinking, and it really kind of made us sleep under with five kids a little bit more challenging. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: Oh it was it was the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the day after, and I had to go to my friend's birthday party after the stream, so I threw up. I took a thirty minute power nap, and then I woke up and I felt great, and I was like, all right, I'm good, and I went to my friend's birthday. I didn't drink anything. I only had water at the birthday. But I was like, I'm fine, I'm fine. And then when I woke up, my body was like, you're not fine. Actually, we gave you a two hour reprieve to go to your friend's birthday, and now you're actually not fine.
Speaker 3: You actually feel terrible.
Speaker 1: So that was and then straight into first grade or Thunderdome. It was pretty pretty well weekend for me. Are goodie bags still a thing?
Speaker 3: Or No? They are, but I don't really do them.
Speaker 1: And this wasn't like this wasn't really like we weren't really calling it a birthday party. She already had a birthday party North Carolina, like we were calling it just sort of like it was like pizza, ice cream, like, you know, we didn't really I didn't decorate for it. You know, she didn't really care about any of that. So we didn't do goodie bags. But the people do do them, and they're mostly filled with plastic junk that you throw away as soon as you get home, you know, like the kids. They with them for like two hours, so it's like a lot of landfill shit. When she had a birthday a few years ago, I got the kids their own little mini clipboards, and I printed out coloring sheets and gave them like colored past with them, so that it felt like more of a thing they could like use at home, like if they're on the couch, they can like draw or write or whatever.
Speaker 3: But I haven't really done a goodie bag in a hot minute. How did Jared do flying across country? Oh? He killed it. He killed it. He remembered everything. He got them out there.
Speaker 1: He said they had like one little melt down at the airport, but everything was fine.
Speaker 3: He did it. Yeah, and you're surprised.
Speaker 1: I wasn't surprised. I thought he'll get them across, they'll be fine on the plane. I just thought he'll forget a bunch of shit that I needed him to bring.
Speaker 3: But he didn't.
Speaker 1: And then I sat with the kids the whole ride home, and they were a dream. Oscar slept for like two hours. They just watched movies.
Speaker 3: We barely. It was amazing. It was great.
Speaker 1: But Rosie had that thing happen where you open your water bottle on the plane and it just spouted all over her and she did freak out. It was it was a never ending stream, like it really kept going.
Speaker 2: But oh wait, also, did you see this? It's a mix of all my interests. They saved like a sea and they named him Shane Hollander. And so it's like this baby seal named Shane Hollander.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's so cute.
Speaker 1: Wait. Have I told you that we have a listener that has goats that they named Kara and Lisa.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't.
Speaker 1: And then the goats had one of the goats had babies and they named them Rosie and Oscar.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but like I remember being named after like a goat being named after me. But this was a few years ago, and I get updates of the goat. I didn't know that there was a new set of goats or if this original goat person had another goat and that's Kara, or is this a new am?
Speaker 3: I am? I? Are there two separate Are there two separate visa goats? I don't know? Like, what the fuck? We have a listener? Hold on, let me look it up.
Speaker 1: We have a listener who has goats and named them Karen Lisa, and then one of them had babies. Maybe it was Lisa that had the babies, who knows, and name them Rosy and Oscar. And then I showed my kids and they were like freaking out because they were so upseested.
Speaker 3: They thought that was.
Speaker 2: The Oh my god, wait now that we're not okay, you grabbed your phone and then I remembered my phone.
Speaker 3: I texted my nephews. I'm like, are you guys nervous about the draft?
Speaker 2: And they wrote NFL and I go military and it was like lol. And then we were kind of just and we were just kind of making jokes about it, and I.
Speaker 3: Liked that that's so funny. I mean, on set of texts, do we think that it's gonna be?
Speaker 1: They just this administration feels too stupid if they do instate the draft to like weed out people lying. Like if people lie and say they have problems and they can't do it.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's concentration camps. What are you talking about. They'll take everybody, They'll drag you out of the streets. They don't care. We're run by private prison complex. Like, what are you talking about? I know mine, I don't know leave the country I hope. So, wait, did we already lose our minds of a Selka's going back to twenty four hours April seventeenth?
Speaker 3: Wait? How long did they go off? Twenty four hours? Six years? Wow?
Speaker 2: And now they're about six years. Yeah, and I have a late night spot. I'm gonna go walk home. I'm gonna get the custom new sweatshirt they just put out to celebrate, and I'm gonna live my life. It's gonna change my whole social life. My whole life's about to change.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. That's amazing. It's weird. I guess where I live.
Speaker 1: I live. Where I lived, there was French Roast and that was the only place that was like truly twenty.
Speaker 2: Four hours awesome. That was awesome. Yeah, that's an awesome place. It's Bagel Pub. Now I think it's gone. Yeah, it's been gone for a while. It's been going for damn. Yeah, unless I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Yeah, French Roosts on the Upper West.
Speaker 1: But it's great to have a twenty four hour like actual place with normal.
Speaker 3: Like not bodega food that you can eat, you know. Agree.
Speaker 2: Oh, remember I said something crazy happened at my show with the speakers.
Speaker 1: Yes, where somebody was like just getting like making candy crush noises.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I don't know if you guys remember, but last week I was talking about how I was doing a show at Union Hall and like through the speakers loudly, it was like a candy crush game when you could hear the pit bam, pit bam, but chow and it was like crazy and people didn't know it was a bit and I'm like, I made it funny and whatever, but like the noises were coming. I couldn't speak into the mic. It was pandemonium. They turned it all off. Then when they turned it back on, an audio book of World War II was playing and it was like loud and it was just like we couldn't figure out where the noises were coming from. Everyone at Union Hall is kind of losing their mind figuring it out. I'm trying to like finish my set, you know whatever. So I went I had a show there last night, and I asked, I was like, did you guys ever find out what happened? And basically, one of the dudes in the kitchen accidentally connected his bluetooth and he was watching a documentary about World War Two. And I think he took a little break to play game and then.
Speaker 3: Went back to the dock. But like he wouldn't be able to hear the dock if the dock was going through the speaker.
Speaker 1: So like the thing is like for it to be on for like a few seconds and be like, why can't I hear this?
Speaker 3: You'd turn it off or something, but it was going on.
Speaker 2: No, he's not good at technology. That's why I like all the girls telling me yesterday, she goes was confusing. He doesn't really know what he's doing, Like I don't. No one even understands how he did it. But it was just a dude in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: That is, they had to make their speaker undiscoverable because otherwise anybody could just go boop into the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so wild, it's so funny. But a kitchen guy. I love a kitchen guy trying to find out more about World War two. I love that. I do love that. Well. I really loved reading.
Speaker 2: We could be so good and then like you should be so lucky these cats Sebastian books, because they're one is set in nineteen fifty eight fifty nine, and the others set in nineteen sixty and it like is real New York stuff and I really liked it. And it's like, yeah, you know, they talk about real articles and real shit that was happening, and I'm just, I don't know, really into it. You know, when I was crying on the bench, I'm like, this is what I bet people that like make stuff want, you know, Yeah, for people to like really react to something.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Well, that's totally all right. Yeah, let's get started.
Speaker 1: You know, as usual, you can go to That's messed Up live dot com for our merch link.
Speaker 3: We have our.
Speaker 1: Louise Lewis Lewis Lewis Lewis Luis shirt up there, which is beautiful Carolina blue and is really soft tea.
Speaker 3: I love it. I'm wearing it all the time.
Speaker 1: And then our Patreon guys, we're at That's messed Up.
Speaker 3: We're at on Patreon.
Speaker 1: It's patreon dot com forward slash That's messed Up, And we've got some really fun interviews coming up and other such fun items. So get on over there and hang out with us there and let's get started.
Speaker 2: We are doing Redemption in Her Corner Season twenty one, episode thirteen, February sixth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: We didn't know the world was going to collapse.
Speaker 2: Fully, we knew there were issues obviously, And the episode starts very ahead of it time because listen to this, so keep this in your mind. February sixth, twenty twenty. It starts by Benson and Barbara are facetiming on her laptop. So the fact that they're even face timing, like I don't I don't feel like we were like really doing that on our laptops even right, Like I guess people skyped, but I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just think it's so ominous to me. It's interesting because she's doing.
Speaker 1: It before video calls us as prevalent, like I know people do much more prevalent now, but like it's just ominous just knowing everything.
Speaker 2: But so she makes fun of his growing beard. He's in Iowa, trying to blend in he's there because of election fraud, and he says he's living in a dystopian nightmare. And it was, but we still had no idea like how much worse it's gotten, Like I mean, for Barbara in February twenty twenty to say dystopian nightmare, which makes sense because he was in office, but still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why that's crazy yep, where we talk about dystopia so much now.
Speaker 2: And he asks how Benson is. He's heard about Tucker. So this Tucker has taken his own life. This is a nightmare. So her eyes instantly turned wet. It's been rough and this is all tragic. She's at a loss. Time is just flying by. They're having a beautiful moment. He said he will be back after the primary, and when he's back, he wants to do dinner on him, obviously, Barbara. He then says happy birthday, and he's early, but he wanted to be the first.
Speaker 3: So sweet.
Speaker 2: She closes the laptop she's thinking. She walks out to the center area and tells Finn and Rowlins that Barba says hi, and she's like she's kind of like regular working girl, like kind of putting tupperware in her big bag, like I like, Kat isn't there. Because Finn let her go warm up for her boxing match, and then he's like, remember we're all going.
Speaker 3: She obviously forgot. She's in mourning. Tucker is dead.
Speaker 2: She has an appointment, she says, and Noah has rehearsal she's clearly lying and runs off, and.
Speaker 1: There's the squad, like ever literally gone to support another member of the squad doing something that they do.
Speaker 3: In their free time.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I don't know if it's before after that, I would say like the baptisms or weddings or like maybe adoption. No, they were not the adoption, but I think stuff like that, Like, but those are all later seasons. Early season, there's a Thanksgiving? Does Kragan host?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I mean it's like they socialize sometime. I'm probably got a little party, but like there's never like, oh yeah, Rollins has a fun hobby she does and we can all go watch her do it, or like let's all go see Finn try stand up comedy.
Speaker 3: Well, what are what are you?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're gonna go to the under Yeah, they're gonna go to the underground gambling ring.
Speaker 3: Like what is Rollins doing? I know? But it's like Bells are Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: I guess that nobody video game convention and Finn likes video game but they seems like they all do, but.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever went to go cheer Casey Novak go on when her team Sex Crimes was playing soft ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe but we don't. We don't know that You're right. This is cute. I don't know where she finds the time, but we arrive at this boxing gym and.
Speaker 3: Cat arrives as well. It's us and Cat the figurative we we're together. Oh but before that, Fin reassures like Rollins looks worried, and Finn's like, listen, she needs time. It'll be okay.
Speaker 2: Not everyone eats their feelings with like destroying their own life slowly. So she sorry, you don't get that, Cat, I mean, I mean l.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So Cat arrives, are women in the ring and a woman coach, and then Cat trash talks the woman she's gonna fight and they have a fun back and forth, and then she asks if Romeo's around, and they say Romeo with an accent, and I'm not doing it. So his name's Romeo. They say Romeo, but they say Romeo. Final say Romeo. It's like Romeo Romeo around. It doesn't even come natural. I'm saying Romeo, so Romeo, Oh, go say it, yeah, Romeo around. I hate that saying. I don't want to say that either. Now whatever, she checks if the coaches in and he's in the office, and Kat goes off to the office, but his door's locked, which seems unusual because she seems confused by it and knock, knock. It takes a while to open. I would say ten to fifteen seconds, and then a young girl, Cammy, walks out, like pretty young, and he looks suspicious as fuck. He's like touching his dick over his pants and he says he popped. He says he popped in her left shoulder, which is like such a wild lie to hop to like it could have been like, uh, she had a rough day or was giving her an inspirat like to pop the shoulder back in, but whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but for none of the You wouldn't have to.
Speaker 2: Lock the door to pop the shoulder in, and we would have heard a scream no, like when we've heard that.
Speaker 3: That's what I would think. Kat's suspicious.
Speaker 2: Vala is gonna be in your corner, he tells her, which bothers her, like, so that's gonna be a different coach. And she wanted this guy, and he's like, I have to be with Esperanza. I mean she's only nineteen, and he goes, you'll be fine, and she goes, that's all I get from my pre fight pep talk like what the fuck? And he's like right, fine and begrudgingly gives her some words. He says, Esperanza has a left we cook, so like do an overhead right and make it hard to counter? How do you coach both girls that are fighting each other? Like that's crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah you can't do Yeah, I mean you can do that in a random gym, but then like not if there's like a competition element, that's what I don't know.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. So Yeah, goes to Cammy asked about her shoulder. She seems like she doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about. So locked door, weird shoulder, what's happening? Cammy goes where Cammy's I like Cammy, she goes SVU, relax, I'm not an after school special, okayqut trying.
Speaker 3: To stir up trouble. She walks off.
Speaker 2: So this is a Golden Gloves qualifying match, KREESI is there in a full suit.
Speaker 3: You couldn't even hot sin your tie, like I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why the full soup rollin's messy bond perfect like always fin is there. So then they asked, who's fighting a man? An old man turns around the dad and goes, that's my daughter, and another girl is like, yeah, Cat's just a stepping stone for us, speranza, and he's acting out uppercuts like he's at a tiebout class, and then like so, then they call Cat the.
Speaker 3: Brute from be Root.
Speaker 2: I like that, and there's cheers and jeers, and then the ref has a silver eye patch and I don't mean like a cloth one, and it's the color silver. I mean a hard metal, silver, metal eye patch that looks like artistic and melting over his eye, and he has a.
Speaker 1: B I don't even think I noticed that. I think I looked away for a second. Oh guy casting.
Speaker 2: So people are definitely cheering louder for Cat's opponent, and the boxing happens, and then a money exchange happens between fedora guy and a sweatsuit guy. The squad cheers on Cat, and I can't tell who's who they're fighting. They're wearing helmets. It's red versus blue, and I truly cannot tell the whole time. So but no Kat gets knocked the fuck out. She's struggling down there.
Speaker 3: The teen did beat her and yeah, so that sucks for her credits.
Speaker 2: So now we're back at work. Everyone's hungover as fuck. I love this and they're like, damn, she can fight, but she can sure drink. Like I just love it. And it's like, but you did lose, And then I'm like, wait did she win? No, I'm wrong, Like I couldn't tell, but she lost. She got knocked out and they all got fucking wasted, and she goes to talk to the captain who is crying at her desk. So so then Benson goes, hey, I heard the you impressed the squad and she goes no, and then Benson goes, ouch, okay. So then she's like, did you start seeing predators everywhere when you started working? And she goes, yeah, it takes a little bit to like get used to what's up, but like, also there are predators everywhere, so like who knows? And so she fills her in on the main trainer and the young girl rushing out he was tying his sweatpants and the shoulder thing.
Speaker 3: It kept her up all night.
Speaker 2: Benson encourages her to trust her gut, so Cat and Benson goes to talk to Cammi and she loves him. She's like, that's the best coach, Like I give him credit for all the good things in my life. And then a grandma comes in and they call her missus Vegas. And then I'm like, is it just her mom? And I made up the grandma thing, like I don't.
Speaker 3: Know she called she called her grandma? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then so then she tells them he is a good guy, like a father figure. He drives her home when they train late, and she's always so tired and goes straight to bed. And then she talks about the shoulder, and then dramatic music plays.
Speaker 1: And she but the grandma doesn't know anything about the shoulder. She's like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Right now, that's what That's what I said by saying dramatic music plays? Ah yeah, did did nobody understand that?
Speaker 1: It's like, at this point, everything is telling us the shoulder is bullshit.
Speaker 2: No, the grandma says she has one hundred push ups every morning, so I would say the opposite. And then they asked Missus Vega to talk to Cammy about Romeo and her shoulders and hands over her business card.
Speaker 3: They're walking outside.
Speaker 2: I really love this shot, Like the buildings look super tall, So they're surrounded by three tall apartment buildings and lights coming in from like where they're walking towards, and it looks really cool. So Kat's like, all right, like let's go arrest him. She's like, okay, slow the fuck down, now we just dig deeper. Okay, Like who else can we talk to? So they go talk to a girl at the laundry and it's Esperanza and she says, oh, he touches me, but as a coach, like never in a creepy way. Don't even worry about it. She's like, I know you're SVU, but it's just not like that. Cammy is his favorite. She admits he has his favorites, but she thinks full trainer, not PERV. She says, if I notice anything, I will hit you up, like I want to protect all the girls too. She says, your eyes looking better, and she's and then Kat responds lucky punch a little trash shop, and Esperanza goes, nope, you know, Romeo actually told me you would come around with that big right, and you dropped your guard and he tells her no mercy whereas it exact words. Yeah, so damn he told Kat to throw the right and told her it was coming and set cat up. Bullshit, Yeah, and like was that a message? So they go back to the office and Caresy is being so creasy. He has supperware and his mom made ribolita soup. And usually, you know, Kara researches things she doesn't understand in the show, and I never do. But I did look up the soup. I did look up the soup. It's a Tuscan soup. It's a there's bread and veggies in it, so you usually make it with leftover minestrone soup and then you put stale bread in it to thicken it.
Speaker 3: It's like an.
Speaker 1: Old like classic like peasant soup. Yeah, because it's like all your leftovers. Yeah. So and he's like, take the soup.
Speaker 3: My mom made it.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because Benson tries not to take it, and it's like you not, bitch, like you think you're not gonna be well, you're gonna say no to a foreign woman soup, Like I don't understand what, Like, just take.
Speaker 1: It homemade Italian super come on, just take it. She doesn't want it, you know, she's too tough. She doesn't want to accept any like that. Nothing's wrong. You know, but she takes it.
Speaker 2: She scoffs, but she takes it, so they need it, Like the close captioning needs to find better words than scoffs. They use scoffs a lot, and that to me has a negative connotation. And her scoff was like chiller, but maybe stoff is more general and like I'm just reading into it.
Speaker 1: No, you're right because when people say, like, oh, like he scoffed at me when I asked him to do that, like, it always is negative when you read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like she was like touched annoyed a little, like she wasn't match, she wasn't scoffing.
Speaker 3: Like they need to find a new word. Yeah, like what is word when you just go okay, like you know, you just kind of do that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, if you're a linguist, hit us up, Do the noise again, do the noise again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, he says it's his mother. Okay, we got that.
Speaker 1: Hopefully that got Wait wait, I'm looking up synonyms for scoff.
Speaker 3: Hold on, wait, nobody uses these words. Well.
Speaker 1: Scoff when you look it up is to laugh at with contempt and derision. Yeah, but I think there is another way that is not a scoff.
Speaker 3: Maybe google what is scoff without negativity? What is a positive scoff? A positive scoff? What is what is a word for a friendly scoff? Okay, here we go a chortal tackle.
Speaker 1: Somebody said chuff that feels like it's from another country, a titter. This is not a Reddit thread, so it's not like this is linguist saying.
Speaker 2: One of the like big reviewers during Edinburgh for Comedy is chortle like, yes, like you know you want a good Chortal review.
Speaker 3: Yes, you definitely want to get caught.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what happens next after the soup, we're gonna find that we're gonna get to the bottom of the scoff.
Speaker 2: So the brainstorm session starts about the fighter. You know, she's not just like any old fighter. Lots of ards are discussing Cammy and missus Vega walk in uh oh, Benson talks to them. So Benson's like, okay, let's go walk somewhere more private. But like Cammy's fucking pissed. She's like Esperanza fucking grills me, Like that's why we're here, Like you need to get the truth for me, not from some jealous lies and like they don't even make it to the rooms. She's that mad, and she turns around and goes, actually, none of this is your business, but Romeo and I are in love. Dunt dunt dark music. Benson nods, it is we it is our business. It is our business. So the detectives make eyes. It truly, says Special Victims Unit, Like you couldn't have gone to a place where it's not like that. It's more their business.
Speaker 3: Yes, like get out of my diary bit.
Speaker 1: She's like, you can't know that you are sixteen and this man is looks what thirty something oh older?
Speaker 2: He looks like shit, sorry to the access, Sorry for this man, but I didn't mean to insult you.
Speaker 1: But like that like too, Yeah, this isn't like a sixteen out of twenty.
Speaker 2: This is us sixteen and forty four. Like he's had like he's had like a foot surgery.
Speaker 3: You know, he's out of foot surgery. He's that he's foot surgery or so.
Speaker 2: The Bama is so upset in shock, she's disgusted as fuck. They've been sleeping together for two years. She's only sixteen, which means rape, rape, rape, get him get him, and she goes, whatever, I know what I want and missus Vegas like show her your texts too, dumb bitch. So they go to pick Romeo up and Creasey is on it and he's like, I'll get the warrants, I'll get for the office, the phones, I'll get everything. So the cops enter the gym to pick him up, but Esperanza's already fighting him. She punches the shit out of him, he falls, he hits her his head, Kat pulls her back. There's a giant crowd all around them. The ambulance drives by, and now we're inside the ambulance with Romeo on the stretcher and Finn is sitting with him and he's like, damn, some chick knocked me out.
Speaker 3: Fuck I like that. Sorry. So then he asks why the fight and he says it's all bullshit. He brings up Cammy.
Speaker 2: Romeo laughs about them being in love, and then he's like, oh, it's just a Mickey Mouse crush, like it's no big deal, and he goes, oh really. Finn's like, what about the sex thing and the fucking He screams immediately she's lying. He says, Kat set me up. The EMT says, this is my ambulance and you all need to shut the fuck up, and puts oxygen on the man. So they bring Esperanza into the precinct and she says, you weren't doing anything, so I had to do something. Kat stays outside. Obviously they they can't have her in there, so Rollin's and Benson are in wood room blinds with her, and she spilled it all. She's like, the texts were disgusting. She was only fourteen, I saw them. She says she didn't know, like Sprons is like no, no, no, there's no way I knew. Like he looked out for me, never cross the line, always treating me like a daughter. And then mister Morales's here, Esperanza's father, and it's the guy from the beginning, and Cat fills him in and he's like, wait, wait, wait, I should be in there, but she's not a miner, and he's like, okay, fine, but like send her a message, like tell her to wait for a lawyer, and that her dad said to zip it, you know. So she's spilling all the beans. Cat knocks and goes, your dad's here, and she goes Santos So She's like, he doesn't even need to be here. Benson goes, hey, babe, we're talking, so bye a cat and she goes, oh, and by the way, your dad wants you to stop talking and that you should wait for a lawyer. So Benson mouth mouth is like on the table, like it's a cartoon character.
Speaker 3: It's like bugs bunny with a crush. Yeah, like mouth hits the table and Shock can't even believe it, stands up pissed. Oh. Then girly as Speranza stands up pissed. Do I need a lawyer?
Speaker 2: And Rollins goes, well, if he presses charges and she screams, he's a rapist, and Benson takes to me now and goes and she goes, I know I screwed up, but her dad's upset and I want to help everyone, and Benson goes, you are way too close and you need to be objective, and she calls around, goes, you get too close all the time, and she goes, yeah, I know, and it's a fucking problem. And my old captain rest in peace. I guess. Craigan used to say, if you're too close to a case, you're not helping the victim. It's like Cragan's never said that. Kat goes, well, what are we gonna do? We need to help, Like, when are we arraigning this guy? When are we arraigning Romeo? And it's like he's in the hospital and hit his head. Kat goes, fuck that he's faking injury to buy time. I don't buy it. Benson goes, Okay, I'll pass that on to Creesy. So we're at Laguardi a hospital. He is handcuffed to the bed arraigning and the raiment's going on. So the judge's there and his lawyers and Cat and I fucking love a fucking hospital arrayment.
Speaker 3: I am obsessed with the scene. I used to have a different No.
Speaker 2: I still want to hopefully book a part where I can get carried out of the courtroom after trying to run to the witness stand. But I think doing a hospital arrangment that's fun.
Speaker 3: In the second place, also fun. Yeah, And the judge even goes, is everyone cozy?
Speaker 2: I mean they? I love it. So he's pleading not guilty. The bail said twenty grands. I did write twenty dollars, but I did twenty grand. They want to protective order as well to keep them away from the gym, to protect the girls, the defense, blah blah blah. But they grant the gym thing the twenty K veil and he needs to surrender his passport cat and Creasy walk away and Cammy is like, does not want to testify. She loves this guy. Cariese says a call her is a hostile witness, like whatever, but you keep working on her. Then uh oh, beppep bepepep Romeo is down bad under He's dead. So Esperanza needs a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Not good. Things went south real quick with the old woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like he was like giggling and making jokes during the arraignment, Like I can't believe how fast this happens. Careese's like, tell her now, Esperanza needs a lawyer. They're on her side. So he died from a brain bleed moments outside, like they should have known. But so they're trying to blame like the arraiment stressed him out that his brain bled whatever. Robin's and Chris, you're talking to Hadid who I think we like? We end up hating her, like she's a dumb bitch, right, Yeah, she's the worst. I don't like, So they are discussing the case and she goes, fuck rape to murder and they're like, well, no, we like Esperanza and she goes, well, I don't care, but she's a trained boxer, so man too. And they're like, no, that's fifteen years. She goes, yeah, terrible, pep, that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: Like she sucks. So they go talk to her.
Speaker 2: They're in cement room bars this time she's in Adida's tracksuit and she goes, this is not how my story is supposed to go. I'm supposed to rise above the narrative, like I'm not supposed to live this life, and I'm here for assaulting a fucking rapist. And they reveal that he's dead. So she's stunned. She's scared. She didn't mean to her eyes are watering. They tell her she's getting a manslaughter charge. She says it's an accident. Benson says it might not matter. Benson leans in and asks if Romeo did anything to her. She goes, no, never, and Benson's voice is really soft. She's caring at this moment, and she says she doesn't want anything from her father because they're like, you know, your father says, she'll get here, they'll get you a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Your father will do this.
Speaker 2: She's like, I do not fuck with my father, Like get the fuck, Like, don't ever say his name to me. Benson walks away slowly over to her and goes, are you sure there's nothing that you can remember that would this turned this into self defense? She starts to cry like obviously she's hiding something and there's like a lot of weight behind everything. And then Cat and Benson go to the spy window and they also know she's hiding something, so they decide to talk to the dozens of witnesses that were there that saw the punch out happen. So they're at the street memorial for Romeo, and so some people do know the molestations, some don't. I'm not really sure what the community vibe is. They're talking to another fighter and she's like, we're family here and now we're broken and I don't know who to believe. And they're like, just tell us what you saw, and she says, Esperanza came in hyped up. They started arguing, she heard stuff. You know, he said, you're jealous and she punched him. But this woman says if Esperanza hit him, that was for a reason, like she wouldn't just be punching people. So now Kat's talking to another woman who's like, I can't take sides, and Kat's like, well, what will you tell her when she's in prison for fifteen years? And she did hear them get into something, and she's wrapping a young fighter's hand and it's like, send the child away, but she's like, I went over to break up the fight. And they're like, but what was the fight about? And I guess he leaned into her ear and called her damaged goods, so she slugged him, and then Kat asks like, be straight with me looking back, did you ever see something not right with him?
Speaker 3: And Cammy?
Speaker 2: And she goes it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, no matter what will always be known as that men make a mess and women have to clean it up. And she like walks through the empty gym. So back to the girl brainstorm at the office and Creasy and Finn. It's actually everybody and they're both in full suits and Finn looks like he's going to a wedding and is like a groomsman. He is wearing a blue silk shirt with an exact color matching blue silk tie. It is a very strange look. I feel like he has plans after work, so Baylis said at ten grand and Kat goes against a direct order to stay away from her without a lawyer as an and is immediately they're like, do not go see her without a lawyer. She's in a room with her at rikers immediately. I just love how little they ever follow directions.
Speaker 3: They don't ever listen.
Speaker 2: She says Romeo is like a father to her, like it sucks, and Kat's like, well, you have a father, and she goes leave him out and like and she tells Kat to leave, and she doesn't want to talk about it. She tries to walk off, but Kat's like, babe, it's fifteen years so she will, you know, never go to jail for a man. So she walks back and says Romeo never touched me. And Kat asks why he called her damaged goods. She's like, fuck, people heard that, and she says not everybody, and Kat goes, but what she doesn't want to say. She's struggling to even put the words together. Kat obviously guesses it's the father of Santos and she and don't you ever mention that man to me again? And she leaves, so Kat's like, fuck, what do I do now? And then back at work, she's confessing to Benson and Creasy that she talked to her, but as a friend, not a cop. Cariesy is fuming, I've never seen him this mad ever, and like hand in her face, Staten Island vibes, oh, you went to Rikers after she invoked.
Speaker 3: Like it is ha ha. I love that he's so pissed.
Speaker 2: You went to Rikers after she invoked, like he is pissed. They argue back and forth. Benson's being calm, She's being quite kind to Kat in this moment. The fight ends with Paresi going okay, I guess just a little probative, like it's ha ha ha and so but and then he goes, maybe you should be talking to her defense attorney, not me, and he tells her to not go back to Rikers without a lawyer and storms off, and she's like, I'll go take a run at Santo's and Benson's like, girl, you're not going anywhere. You cannot be trusted and you cannot do anything without me. You are benched Rollins and Finn go to talk to Daddy Pedophile and he's like, oh, yeah, my daughter's an angry person. She lashes out at people who fail her. You know, it happens. And Finn asks if she has always been that way, and he blames her mother for leaving when she was ten years old for all her problems, and they're like, wow, she had a dad, so you obviously flop too, right, and you don't seem tight, so that's weird. And he goes, I gave her everything, ballet, gymnastics, boxing, I bust my ass so she can have the success I didn't have, and still she pushed me away. Finn plays like a deadbeat connection game, you know, trying to like rile them up, and you know, it's like when they pretend to be in cells and Rollins goes, or maybe you got too close, and he goes, what and you could tell he gets nervous and like knows exactly what the fuck she's saying, but the detectives you don't really have to say anything. And he leans in and says, I was a good father and I did everything for my two girls, and it's like, excuse me, ding ding ding, there's a sister had what's going on? He goes, yeah, she hooked. I tried to save her. Now I've lost both my girls. So one's a boxer, one's a junkie. Like obviously it's this man's fault. So Esperanza, her lawyer, Benson and Cat are chatting and they're trying to save her.
Speaker 3: Tell your story.
Speaker 2: It doesn't define you, Benson says, and Kat says, it also doesn't have to leave this room. So he would whisp. So he would climb into her bed whisper Jesus as he like went in there. And he was a mean drunk when she was little, and she would hear his footsteps and she just knew what was happening, and he would hold her down and rape her, and eventually she like stopped fighting back and that was that. And they asked how Romeo knew, and it's because she came into box to protect herself and he looked at Santos and knew exactly why. So from the beginning he knew that, like she needed to fight to like stop molestation. So when she confronted him about Cammy, he's like, you're fucking jealous. I would never want your poppies, sloppy seconds.
Speaker 4: Fucked such a fun Benson Benson's bit, so she wants to swing it on his ass too, like she truly, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So then Kat is like yeah, Kat is stunned. She says she should have known and protected Cammy, and Benson goes, well, and like, you know how you should have protected your sister.
Speaker 3: She looks up. She's like, oh my god, my sister.
Speaker 2: You talk to her and they're confused that she's alive because Santos made it seem like she's dead, but she as of two years ago, she was out. She's alive in panhandling outside of port authority. So they find her at Tompkins Renewal Shelter and Finn and Kat go to find her there to talk about her sister, and immediately she goes, espie is she in trouble? I heard she's in trouble. And they're like, well, we're hoping you can help us, like help her, like, so they explain the situation. She's upset and she goes, well, yeah, that's why she boxed to protect us, and Kat's like, well, come on, like, let's help your sister. We'll talk to the d ada and she agrees to do that, but she goes, but my sister's good at boxing, so she has to pay me, Like how much money are you gonna give me?
Speaker 3: And it's also like are you de Lulu? Like you think she's like rolling in the dough?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, crazy, but I guess you know she's on the street, So what's rolling in the dough? So giant marble hall walk and talk, it's a really gorgeous location.
Speaker 3: It's the whole team in Creasey.
Speaker 2: He's like, fuck, so she's only gonna help her sister if she gets paid, and it's like, yeah, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: SPI's too ashamed. We need to arrest him, Like what are we gonna do?
Speaker 2: And Hadid goes, okay, you're right, but we're not gonna and then she just walks off like we're at Rikers and it's Santo's visiting through the glass and he's menacing, like this is scary, and then he goes, oh to see my own kid, I have to sit through glass and she says, you're You're lucky I'm even talking to you at all. He sighs and goes, your sister calls me and she's like super nervous that you're gonna run your mouth, and Spi responds, she is, or you are, and guess what they're spying. We're spying. We're taping, we're spying. Okay, So Coreesi and Captain Benson our hands on deck and there's a tech there everything, and he's about to hang up and it kills her, like but she has to a like she hates him, does not want to talk to him, but needs him because obviously a spy window and we need him to confess. So and this actress is incredible. It's like she needs him there, doesn't want him. There has to beg him, like crying on the inside, like it's fucking wild. So she's like, okay, I get it. And so she's like, you want me to keep my mouth shut?
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: But my lawyer says, the only way I don't go to jail forever is by telling people what you did. And she cries and says, you should have never touched me, and he isn't saying anything incriminating yet, and she presses like you suck and you're only here so people don't know you're the worst, Like you never took care of me. Screwing your daughters. How can you do that to me? And she cries and he says, finally, I couldn't help it. After your mommy left, you were all I had. Puke, puke, puke. He says, it's not my fault. She cries, oh, right, because it's my fault.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You always said it was my fault because I was beautiful, that I was teasing you, and he goes, I raised you alone and I had needs and she says, you raped me, and he says, do you hear yourself? What man would want you after you say that on the stand. And she says, how can you say that you took everything from me? My childhood, my sister, my career. I was almost out. I was a fighter and I was a damn good one and I had a chance, and now I'm stuck in this hell hole. This actress is incredible, and she starts banging the glass with the phone and starts climbing onto the glass like truly trying to fucking kill this guy. And then she's screaming and I'm stuck here because of you. You took everything from me. Get out and screaming, and then a cop is dragging her away. She's sobbing. He sits there and he's panting, and she walks in with bandages on her hands. Later, like she beat the glass and the whole team's like, you killed it, girl, you did it. And she goes, then why do I feel like I lost? And Benson goes, trust me, you didn't. The hard part is over. You're still standing and we're going to give you assault too. That's only two years. Okay, wait, can I just say something really quick? This actress is named Manny.
Speaker 1: Perez and I am seeing like a Reddit thread where she's a big voice in GTA. I think and I think that these fucking game boys like like bullied her off the internet. Like she used to have an Instagram and she took it down because probably of all these creeps, so.
Speaker 2: That a woman can't even do a voice on a game, like, yeah, that's how mad they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, truly, because she did.
Speaker 1: I don't think she has like any I mean, there's an Instagram account up that looks like a bot account with no posts that has fifty eight thousand followers. That's her, but like it's that's that's her name, but it's not. Yeah crazy anyway, just reminded me of that game, the lowest rated SVU episode of all time on IMDb because of these fucking in cells.
Speaker 2: So now it cuts to Santo's and he's trying to buy off the sister and he's like buying her things at the bodega, and he's like, you're awesome, not like your sister, Like you got over it. She's so fucking annoying. But guess who's right outside. It's the daughter helped the daughter helped the other daughter, the sisters. The sisters are doing it for themselves together, and they got him. So she spits on him and goes, I hope you die in prison. And she also tells Kat like she and don't no one needs to pay me. I don't need the money. Tell her to give the money back, like fuck this, and Graciella just runs off crying, all right, why.
Speaker 3: Is Kat fucking paying witnesses.
Speaker 1: You can't do that or like paying people to do shit that is gonna make the whole thing invalid.
Speaker 3: Well, she's just give me the money back. I know, but nobody learns their goddamn lessons.
Speaker 2: Morales is punching in the gym in the prison, but she has visitors, and her prison outfit is fire like, she looks fucking awesome. Her sweatpants are so cool, they fit her really well. And Cat's there and it's Grassiella, my god, and they hug and they say sorry, it's so emotional, and I actually cried. I did start to cry. It's like a very emotional moment. And then they think Cat Cat smiles and that stickwolf baby.
Speaker 1: Oh tough, tough, fucking episode. But and we got to get some help to Cammi too. Let's get some help over to Cammy who thinks she was in love with her. Train is going to get her some therapy molesting her. Yeah, there was some stuff written that this maybe is about like the one punch loophole where, which is I know something Liza likes to talk about from con Air, Right, the con Air rule.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Conair rule.
Speaker 1: So like that if a person punches another person and it results in their death, but the assailant did not specifically intend to kill them, prosecutors may struggle to provide felony man to prove felony manslaughter, which leads usually to lower misdemeanor charges.
Speaker 3: Oh that's not.
Speaker 2: Actually what the what the Conair rule is the conair rule is that like you have your special like if you're a professional boxer or like you're in the military, like your your body is a big weapon.
Speaker 3: So like if you're a profusing your fists as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if you're especially trained to murder and you murder like you're a weapon. So that's not oh not just any random person can oh okay the punch.
Speaker 1: This is a little bit different because there's like it's like there's like a one punch rule. There's a one punch thing, and then there's a sucker punch thing like cause I think that's a little bit different than sucker punching someone.
Speaker 3: But essentially what happened.
Speaker 1: Was there were in the years leading up to this episode, like in like I would say a lot of the twenty tens, there were a lot of incidences of one punch deaths happening. And I mean, honestly, one happened at my college in like two thousand or ninety nine. Actually a freshman came on campus and got into a fight with someone who had come to a party. Didn't even go one punch. The kid landed on his head the wrong way and he died. It was his first week at college, so terrible. This, Yeah, it was like off. I mean I didn't know him. I wasn't even at school yet because the freshman get there before people. So it like it was really really fucking crazy. But I've like heard stories like but I guess a lot of them were coming out in the news in New York specifically leading up to this episode. So I'll talk about one. A guy named I guess it's a Hungarian name, much like Marishka. His name is spelled sa Ndo, but it's pronounced shandor Shandor. Zabo had just left his sister's wedding in Queen's in August of twenty eighteen. He was drunk, his phone was dead, and he was looking for an uber that he had apparently called or someone had called for him, and security camera footage shows him like throwing his jacket on the ground trying to pull a mailbox out of the sidewalk. Like the guy's kind of wasted and belligerent, and I guess he's like tapping on cars that he thinks for his uber. And this guy, Jamil Jones, who is from who is living in North Carolina. He's an assistant coach for Wake Forest basketball. Wake Forest is where my brother went to college. And he was driving with his fiance in a white BMW and apparently this guy I read a couple of different conflicting things. One was that this guy uh smacked like he saw the guy acting crazy, and then this guy smashed on the back of their car. Some reports just say he smacked on the car. Others say that he actually broke the winch the back windshield that the like, that's how Actually, Jimiel Jones actually testified in court later saying that he broke the back windshield and so he said that he heard a loud boom and that the weird real windshield of the car was smashed in, and that his fiance like had her head in her lap and was crying. And Jones said that that the drunk guy Zabo came up to her side of the car, like the passenger side and laughed like a he haw.
Speaker 3: That's what I read on the article. Like I don't know if.
Speaker 1: It was like a yippie kaye, motherfucker he haw or whatever. But so then Jones was like, oh, I got to get this guy away from my fiance or from whatever he's so he chased him and punched him in the face. He claims that this guy, Zabo, had a fist raised at him, but other reports and camera footage say that the guy was actually backing away from him.
Speaker 3: So but after the punch hits.
Speaker 1: After the punch, Zabo hit the sidewalk and Jones and his fiance left the scene. When they circled back, they said they saw the man propped up against a car and other people helping him, so they like assumed he was all right. But he was not all right, and he actually suffered a traumatic brain injury and was brain dead, and four days after the punch he was taken off life support. After his organs were donated, Jones turned himself into the police. He had already like I think he had already returned to North Carolina, but he had. He returned to New York and turned himself in. He had zero and he said he's never even had a drink in his entire life.
Speaker 2: And I like that the victim has proved something good. And to me, I'm like, well, then you belong in jail.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: It was just like everybody was like testifying that this is a good man and so was the man who died. Like everyone in the articles is like they're both great guys, Like this is like a tragedy that like nobody was really trying to commit any crimes.
Speaker 3: It feels like.
Speaker 1: Zabo's mother, Donna Kent, was trying to fight New York City because they treat one punch deaths as third degree assaults, a misdemeanor crime. So it's actually the opposite of what happens in the episode is that it has a max penalty of one year. So what's interesting is like Hadid is giving her this manslaughter and stuff, but that's actually what they're saying. This loophole with one punch crimes is that it's really hard to prove manslaughter when you only punched one time in an act of passion, like you know, not premeditated. So it is kind of wild that Hadid's like, oh no, we're giving her manslaughter, Like that's going to be so easy.
Speaker 2: Well, because I think she's the conair. She's a professional boxer. That's what Hadid said. Oh, okay, so that's the con airy. Okay, because she's a boxer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she basically treated her body as a weapon, and.
Speaker 3: So the mother of the deceased was pissed.
Speaker 1: Yes, the mother decease was pissed. She thinks these assault should be treated as homicides. In twenty twenty, Jones actually did go to court and he was sentenced to three years of probation, fifteen hundred hours of community service, and a one thousand dollars fine. So he never actually saw any jail time, but he did. By the way, one article I read said that his team of lawyers, like that are the whole like all this whole team of lawyers could not find his fiancee, Like they never were able to find her to question her.
Speaker 3: So like I don't even know what happened.
Speaker 1: But one article was like they could never question the fiance because she's a witness to what happened. But they you know, but there are as people on the street that witnessed the whole thing too. So anyway, this past September actually of twenty twenty five, Donna Kent, the mother of the victim, was awarded a total of and I'm going to read this because I've never seen such a precise judgment given one million, three hundred and fifty five, eight hundred and ninety five dollars and sixteen cents.
Speaker 3: I don't know how they came up with.
Speaker 1: That number, but that is the month that she was awarded in a civil suit against Jones, and the mother originally tried to sue the college to wake Forest, which has deep pockets, and there was like they were like, there's no proof. This has nothing to do with wake Forest. He was like a coach for our team who lives who was in another state. So they dropped the wake Forest part. But this guy has to pay out, but he lost his job. He's like, I lost my job, I lost my family, I've lost like everything from this. But what the civil court found in their judgment was that, you know, he stopped his car in order to interact with this man. He got out of his car with the attempt to cause him harm when he could have just driven away.
Speaker 3: So you know.
Speaker 1: But there was a one punch law that was introduced as the result of the following crime in June of twenty fourteen. So a few years before this even thing happened, was Zabo and Jones. A guy named Ildefonso Romero Junior, a fifty nine year old father of five who was about to celebrate his thirty fourth wedding anniversary. Was trying to break up a fight in front of his house in the Bronx when a seventeen year old punched him and he fell and hit his head on the steal part of the sidewalk, which ended up killing him. The seventeen year old attacker got just five months because the court could only charge the attack as a.
Speaker 3: Misdemis law and it's even passed.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing, so his family is heartbroken. So in June of twenty seventeen, the New York State Senate passed the Ildefonso Romero Junior's Law, which was sponsored by Senator Jeff Klein, a Democrat from the Bronx Westchester area, and the law would create a new felony charge for an aggravated assault that results in serious injury or death, also known as the one punch bill, ill defonse or Romero Junior's Law allows prosecutors to charge it convict perpetrators who use their fists as deadly weapons. It's a new class efelony that carries a maximum prison term of four years. So the laws show them from the thing or both exist some configured So that's where I'm going to get to. So this this comes off the heels of all these police reports talking about one punch crimes like they're on the rise, and that the videos are popping up on the internet online they're showing people how to land a one punch and how to sucker punch people and shit like that. So that's why they did all this and all these cases. And I honestly read about a bunch more cases, but I didn't want to just go through and just tell you about all these people that died from one punch. But honestly, the bill was passed, but it never became law, and I tried to find out what happened to it, but it was passes a bill in twenty seventeen, and then I don't know with like COVID three years later, Like I have no idea why this didn't like go on to become passed as a law, but it hasn't. So it's still in New York at least is still a.
Speaker 3: Misdemeanor with a max of one year. So yeah. And then another.
Speaker 1: Case that this episode was based on is the Lloyd Woodbury case, which might sound familiar to you because I was halfway through recent sarching it when I actually pulled up an episode of our podcast because we actually have already covered it, but Lisa researched it and it was in the episode A Single Life, So essentially, just.
Speaker 3: Like a quick recap of it.
Speaker 1: Was like in the late fifties, this ten year old little girl named Loretta Woodbury was basically was raped by her father for seven years, and he told her it was like a special thing that fathers and daughters did, demanded she never tell anyone. She it's funny because the case has been featured in a bunch of episodes about repressed memory. But she's like, I didn't repress the memory. I just like didn't want to confront my father. And in nineteen ninety, in her late thirties, she after psychological counseling, she decided it was time to talk. She said, I could no longer pretend nothing had happened. It was just time to do it. She spoke with her father, she spoke with friends and authorities, and then she contacted Wyoming authorities in nineteen ninety and requested that they prosecute her father, Lloyd Calvin Woodbury, because even though she's from the la area, she's from the valley she called authorities in Wyoming because they are a state that has no statute of limitations on criminal cases. And he was charged in August of nineteen ninety with five felony sexual abuse counts in connection with assaults on the Retta, her cousin, and a third girl who was also a niece of his, whose case came to light as the Wyoming authorities began to investigate, and in November of nineteen ninety in Wyoming, the seventy three year old father pled guilty to charges of raping his daughter and her cousin three decades earlier, and they Wyoming said it was the oldest sexual assault conviction in the state's history.
Speaker 3: I was confused that they could even do that.
Speaker 1: Unless one of the crimes took place in Wyoming, or maybe it was where the father was living at the time. I was a little confused, and I stopped my research since it was repetitive. But it sounded a lot, you know, like the story, like the abuse started at ten, just like with Esperanza, the two like the sister and the cousin, the two sisters, So it seems loosely base but then also kind of juiced up with this one. Punch thing, which I didn't even really hear about. I was living in New York in the tens for a lot of them, and I don't remember hearing about there being like a big rise in that. But it is really scary. It's like something to think about. If you go to punch a person, you might just think I'm landing one punch, but you can literally kill someone with one punch.
Speaker 3: H It's precious.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So that's that on that a shorty today, and.
Speaker 3: And then you want to know more about that crime, you can rewatch that.
Speaker 1: You can go back to a single a single life season one episode that we covered a few episodes back, I think, like last summer. But yeah, we don't have a guest today, so let's just move on to the post mortem.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I now am like, can any coaches be trusted? We can't do closed door meetings with a coach. I'm nervous about coaches or any kind of.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just you were more of an athlete than I was. I only ever had female coaches. I know it was the dad, but the guy.
Speaker 3: It's all of them.
Speaker 2: The professions don't matter, but it's always just like if there's power. Yeah, there's a kid and a kid and an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, they're just pedophiles, I guess, just waiting like women are Karen's and men are pedophiles, you know, yeah, and you gotta keep it in check.
Speaker 1: And I think we are actually asking to see the manager is really nothing in comparison, you know, I think we're killing it as a gender. But yeah, this, uh, I mean also though, I feel like the thing I take away from this is, like I mentioned in the thing, like this guy that I went to school with, I mean I didn't know him, he was a freshman, it was his first week at college. Just got hit one time and landed on the pavement the wrong way. It's like, why I'm just like no fighting, like no punching or violence because I always just think, even though you might just think you're punching someone one time to like send a message, you could fucking kill someone.
Speaker 2: It makes me nervous. No, I don't like fights. Everything can change in a minute. I don't like little pranks. Don't push anyone in.
Speaker 1: A pool, like yeah, I our brains are just squishy, little squishy, little vulnerable blobs in there, and I just don't want anyone.
Speaker 3: To fucking I don't know. But anyway, I feel like.
Speaker 2: Well, we're done, We're done. Don't do sports. Don't be around men, I don't know. Don't do sports, stay away for men.
Speaker 3: Uh sports? Do sports?
Speaker 2: Fight the When someone does a crime against you, it's not on you, Like you shouldn't have to bear the shame. And it sucks that our society makes it easier for predators to survive and than survivors to come forward.
Speaker 1: I also feel like this episode taught me that even though I really like boxing, I never want to get as far as cat to mean is in boxing, Like I don't need to be at the competitive I don't have even ever want to wear the ear things like the little like head wrap thing.
Speaker 3: I'm just I want to smack smash a bag. That's it. That's it for me, and then I'm out. But also I'm on the road.
Speaker 2: I'm in Vegas, I'm in la I'm in Salt Lake City. I'll be in La Jolla and Cleveland and Peetown. I can't wait. Oh my god, my god.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 2: I had my hair appointment and you know, she is a reader, and she goes you know, I was remembering when you first started coming to me, and I think this was like over a decade ago. She goes, I did keep asking you every time you came in what books you read? And she goes, you did flip out on me and go why do you keep asking me that I don't read books? And she like remembers that I was like I said that, like, I guess that is how I speak. But it's like crazy and how the tides have turned.
Speaker 1: Now you're just literally I mean, I'm always scared that everything's going to end at every moment, but I'm thrilled with it right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 2: Have you been watching the press about Rachel dratch Up from Jeopardy? No, so, I guess you know she did Jeopardy probably Celebrity Jeopardy. And while she was getting her hair done, the guy's like, did you study like the hairdresser? She goes, no, not really, I don't know, like whatever, and he goes, I don't know, you're not going to look anything up and she goes, what should I look up? And he goes, I don't know, what about the Spanish Armada? And then the like daily double thing. The answer was the Spanish Armada like, and so she sat in the hairchair looked it up.
Speaker 3: Those the only thing.
Speaker 2: She looked up, and then like the daily double thing happens and she goes the Spanish Armada and it was right.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like most people would think that that was sort of weird cheating or something.
Speaker 2: No, no, I think it's cool. I love Yeah, it's no. No one's thought that. Everyone's been really pumped about it.
Speaker 1: I mean no, I'm just it's for someone that works at the show to tell you to look up one thing.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. Well, we don't know where the hairdresser was.
Speaker 2: She could have hired someone to come to her house, Like, we don't know where this person was.
Speaker 1: Okay, we know that's crazy. I thought it was like in the chair at Jeopardy with you. It could be in the chair in house hair and makeup at Jeopardy, but they would I bet those people know that you're not really supposed to like talk to anybody about like any potential questions or anything.
Speaker 3: So that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love a little uh coincidence. That's very fun. Okay, let's get into our what would Sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you towards an article, a book, or an organization something to give you more information about what we talked about today or in this case, you know, we're kind of trying to tell everybody to stay away from men and watch out for your coaches. So this week we wanted to point you to the YWCA USA. Their mission is to eliminate racism, empower women, stand up for social justice, help families, and strengthen communities. So for more information and to find locations and donate, head over to YWCA dot org. A much maybe a better place to go than a boxing gym run by a pedophile.
Speaker 2: I know we didn't have good post mortem lessons, but I will say that actress was incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shang it out. She was an incredible actress. She's a fighter.
Speaker 2: And next week we'll be doing recall from season eight, episode three.
Speaker 3: Can't We see you next week? Bye?
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Coottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Duda Da Yah