Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan. It's Dan Patrick Show. We'll check in with the Carolina Panthers. Their owner, David Tepper had a press conference. I'm curious if he got peppered by the media with questions there maybe a Tepper tantrum? Is that right, Tom?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that control is Tepper.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not do that all right? Carolina Panthers with one win? Can we look at their schedule? How can they screw this up? For the Bears that they ended up winning? Because the over unders, I thought, we're really telling this. According to DraftKings today, the over under for the Panthers is two and a half. The over under for the Patriots is three and a half. Speaking of the Patriots, here's Bill Belichick being asked about his future.
Speaker 4: There have been a lot of headlines surrounding your future with the organization and even some national media members, Dan Orlovsky being one of them, saying that you already have another destination set in place for next season. Do you have any comments on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Can you ever imagine yourself coaching anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Stund to the best job I can right now. Obviously need to do better.
Speaker 3: Does it frustrate you to hear people say things, but you know you still can coach at this level, at an extremely high level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't worry about what everybody else will saying.
Speaker 5: I've heard good. I've at that.
Speaker 2: I don't really care.
Speaker 5: Check his pulse.
Speaker 6: The words are barely getting out of the mouth.
Speaker 2: Check his pulse. Yeah, I'm very good. Huh huh. I just see a lot of these media outlets going a likely destination for Bill Belichick. Or here's the three places. One was the Chargers, one was Washington, one was Dallas. We have to put in there. You just do because you get clicks, whether it's true or not. But Bill, I can't imagine Bill Belichick working for Jerry Jones. Just can't.
Speaker 5: Can't The Charger situation I think would be real.
Speaker 2: But I was looking for the reasons why you know you have your franchise quarterback and Justin Herbert And then somebody wrote, hey, Hollywood, and I go, the least Hollywood coach in the history of coaches is Bill Belichick.
Speaker 5: He's not.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine him going, Hey, there's he's there. I don't I don't know the hot spot now in LA. But could you imagine that there's a hey, Bill's at NOBU in Malibu. He's sitting with the Kardashians.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 6: How about the Carolina Panthers. You have a loud meddling owner. You have an untalented team with a young quarterback who's not getting any protection, easy transition.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he's got a good owner. I don't think that owner should be compared to David Tepper. David Tepper is still speaking. He started at ten thirty. Oh boy, But the Chargers you got your quarterback. I don't know. I just does Bill Bill want to coach again? Do you want to go through that? If you know you're ceremoniously departing the Patriots? Do you do you want to start over at seventy one? And he seems like an old seventy one Pete Carroll seems like he's fifty one.
Speaker 5: Yes, Martin, is.
Speaker 3: He one of those guys like, are you when you're done coaching?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: What do I do?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 2: I could see him being an assistant coach at the Naval Academy coaching lacrosse or coaching. Yes, no, I legit, Yeah, I could see him doing something like that. Let me look at the Panthers schedule, or maybe a high school team. Panthers are at the Buccaneers, then they're at the Ceints host Atlanta host the Packers at Jacksonville host Tampa.
Speaker 5: Can they squeeze out two more wins? Three more wins?
Speaker 2: What if the Patriots have the number one overall pick and then Caleb Williams goes.
Speaker 5: I think I'm gonna stay at usc.
Speaker 2: Plus.
Speaker 5: Free agents don't want to go to New England.
Speaker 2: The only reason why they went is because they got a chance to play for a Super Bowl. In a Super Bowl with Tom Brady and Brady not walking through that door, why would you go to New England? What would be the attraction? I got to play for Bill Belichick? So yes, Mark and I love it.
Speaker 3: If you're not from here, oh man. They get to play in Boston and not exactly Foxburn, which is close to the Rhode.
Speaker 5: Island, Yes, not exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 6: I wonder if having the number one pick of the Affle the Patriots would make it more likely or less likely they retain Belichick, because that's a franchise changing direction.
Speaker 5: I would move on more so.
Speaker 6: Yes, So like if they have the sixth pick and they are out of the Drake may Caleblim sweepstakes, more likely sticks, I.
Speaker 5: Would move on. I would move on. I think it's I think it's over.
Speaker 2: I think Bill keeps he's coaching against himself, and he keeps repeating the same mistakes.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 2: You gotta have that franchise quarterback, and then if you have that, then players will want to play with that play with the franchise quarterback because you might be playing meaningful games. That is as nondescript as any team in the NFL. Carolina at least has Rice Young that you're curious about, but it's just non descript. And it's because of Bill that there's nothing there.
Speaker 3: Yes, mar And I think Robert Kraft in the Patriots brass have to do this any most respectful way possible. For somebody that's brought you six super Bowl titles. What do you think he deserves all the credit or some of the credit. They have to do it the most, not the Tom Landry Jerry Jones type of way.
Speaker 2: No, And I don't think they'll do it that way. I think that'll be a parting of the ways that it's mutual. They'll say it's mutual, amicable, all of those things. And the question is, does Bill want to, you know, start over again at that age. I remember when I left ESPN and I was fifty, and I was thinking, God, do I want to start over? And you know, I'm glad I did. Fifty is nothing seventy one in the NFL. And you know, is Bill changing his ways? Is he going to change his ways? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I would be surprised if he coaches again.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Sen, I'm gonna be just about fifty when this show is over, assuming you make it.
Speaker 2: The fire years, help make it all the almost now, let me check DraftKings over under Dan makes it.
Speaker 5: Well lately you've.
Speaker 10: Been saying maybe four day maybe if you go that long, because I'm just using your word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I was talking about I'll be almost fifty if I die. Yeah.
Speaker 10: I wasn't referring to your mortality, you weren't. Oh, okay, a question for all of us. Yeah, we're day to day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're all day to day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you gonna do with fifty?
Speaker 5: See?
Speaker 2: I have absolutely no idea. It's one of my great fears. Does anybody know what they're doing in four years? Assuming we all make it four years? I have a plan.
Speaker 10: Oh I don't know if it's gonna actually happen, Okay, And none of it involves how I'm going to make money.
Speaker 5: So I'm kind of screwed there, Okay, pretty honest, Marvin, do you know what you're gonna do in four years?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get money somewhere that's.
Speaker 2: Not specific, Lushue and once what don't go back to the street, mar Huh what street? Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I just eac street. Yeah, see me, probably already got side gigs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you got your working for the Mothership and NBC.
Speaker 5: You're you've got gigs going on?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Todd America wants to know what you're doing in four years.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I have this.
Speaker 11: One of my dreams would be to work with my son with the Broncos in Denver at the headquarters. They're overlooking having a nice window office doing what I have no idea, overlooking the Big Horse and the myle Eyeh Stadium, working in marketing and promotions or sales, or maybe with the something in broadcasting sales.
Speaker 5: Do you have any sales experience?
Speaker 12: Not a lot.
Speaker 2: I also not a lot. What what sales experience do you have?
Speaker 3: Selling myself back? There was a couple of months that I was it was a hard on cash.
Speaker 2: I don't like to talk about.
Speaker 6: I'm looking at Broncos dot com and there are some job openings.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 3: I always like to make a way stuff and things like that. Maybe you know charitable.
Speaker 5: Work for Oh I thought you were You're the make a wish.
Speaker 11: No, I'm not the big okay, but like you know, working with the Broncos or something like that, for doing some NXE community work with the team.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: By the way, Scott Fowler, who covers the Panthers, is going to join us. He just sent a tweet. I'm very unhappy with the Panthers for getting frozen out of asking a question at the David Tepper press conference. I sat in the front row, raised my hand high, wasn't called upon, protested to, no avail. Felt like it was purposeful. Scott Fowler will join us? Scout Uh uh yes? Uh?
Speaker 10: Is that just like a bartender looking over at the bar. Yeah, Like I'm right right, I've got my money right here? Can you just get me a drink please, Or you would have a professor teacher. There was always somebody in the front row and he or she always knew all the answers, and they'd raise their hand all the time, and then the teacher would kind of like look around their hand trying to find somebody else.
Speaker 2: That was probably Todd who did that. James and Virginia joins us on the program.
Speaker 5: Hi, James, I think you're take him on call.
Speaker 9: Brother.
Speaker 13: Happy Tuesday, DP, Dan nets Man, Salute the Commanders, Man. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I had to watch the commanders get busted up by the cowboys. It was awesome. I got a couple of things Man honorable mentioned mvcns man Buddha and San Francisco. Love the energy and Andrew and Washington.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 13: I like how it comes up with the stat of the days. Man, they're really cool. Also, Man, the comment that Chase Daniel made about Justin Fields, it kind of makes a little bit of sense now I'm thinking about it, because if they draft Williams are made, they're kind of walking into the same situation. If you keep Fields and maybe draft Marvin Harrison at one and a left tackle at four. Man, now you're building something. Dj Moore, Harrison cole Comet looking pretty good. But the main reason I called the squid Games, oh man, you said it right, man. It is something you can't take your eyes off of and it will change you don't watch it around kids. But I will say this, man, the challenge has got me locked, all right. I even started watching their old splay games over because the challenge was so good, because there's so many twisty turns that are not in the original, and they really put them to the test. Man. So I would say, keep watching it, man, you guys keep doing your things. Oh and Marvin, you hit all the Turkey ones. I would definitely take Greenman passwall Over College, and the Mactee has got to be twice baked. Y'all have a great day job.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, thank you, James, Thank you. James Man, blackest white collar we have.
Speaker 3: He's a blessing.
Speaker 2: Yes he is. Man, He's awesome.
Speaker 3: I said, Oh man, we got two black callers Detroit Davis, Virginia. Told my wife that when I was taking calls, I was like, oh, this is amazing.
Speaker 5: I'm connecting. I'm connecting with James Man.
Speaker 9: Was up there.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh man, yeah, She's like, you really didn't tell him happy Happy Black History, did you? I was like, maybe it.
Speaker 2: Was pointed out that Marvin will be in the Yukon Husky magazine and it comes out in February.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have any details on this exposion.
Speaker 3: They're celebrating black voices.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marvin Prince of The Dan Patrick Show, February.
Speaker 3: February, then a whole bunch of other corporations. Oh, we're putting up. So we're celebrating black voices all month March first, all right, all right? Movie is there.
Speaker 6: A shorter month though?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Movie?
Speaker 3: No micker three week?
Speaker 1: Oh month?
Speaker 3: Oh you said month? All right?
Speaker 5: Brent in Connecticut, Brent.
Speaker 15: Again, everybody you know. While I've been on hold, I realized I've been listening to your show since Rob Bibble had his crush on the Awesomes.
Speaker 2: Wow, that that's messed up.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Now, before I left from a surgery not proced, a tour bus broke down in front of my workplace. I'd love to find this group and new gig. I think they might be perfect for a halftime show at Crapenberg State. They're called the Flying Monkey seezi show.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, they need to leave work.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Maybe, uh send us a picture of that. By the way, I have my Crappensburg State hoodie on today and you can have this same hoodie go to Danpatrick dot com. Yeah.
Speaker 10: See, I feel like that was a joke that we're not getting.
Speaker 5: Oh, he wasn't being truthful.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I don't know that he was being truthful. I feel like that's a joke somewhere. It's like, tell you guys, don't get it. It's this nu I mean, I got it. I thought that there might have been more to that.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go too deep. Paul in California, Hi, Paul, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Hey? How you doing great?
Speaker 2: How's everybody great? Paul? I got a little warm.
Speaker 9: And fuzzy plumb on the first time caller, nervous as can be in the presence of the greatness.
Speaker 5: All right, let's settle meritzy.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's settle down here, Paul, And you have a poem and I do.
Speaker 5: Okay, And what was the show?
Speaker 9: It's uh, yeah, it sure is.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go here Paul in California with a poem.
Speaker 9: Twas the month before Christmas in the smooth White Patrick House. I messed it up already, Let me start it. What's the month before Christmas? Ah, that's so, I told you. I was nervous, all right. Twas the month before Christmas in the smooth White Chocolate House. The moonshine was a bruin as the danette scurried about pondering the very best gift they could give them to their king. Fritzy's got this hands down, dude, Just don't sing, stick to your sports in a rhymes and drop into character. It will your Mike Tyson Rocks and your doctor Phil Kills all music man, Marvin filling them boots and mclev never skipping a beat. Oh, the jam is still jelling. Thank you Pauline Seaton for years of great laughs, but most mostly thank you DP and the entire DP staff.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Happy Holidays, how about that, Paul and Callifornia. I liked it. Oh, by the way, the voices with the Simpsons. There's an article that they're getting so old that they don't sound the way they used to. I think, Uh, who is it? Harry Sheer he's eighty eighty and he's been the voice of what Bart Simpson. I think he's a voice of quite a few. And then the woman who is Marge Simpson that she's up there in age two. And I'm thinking, Todd, you could be the next voice for the Simpsons and you could be Marge Simpson.
Speaker 16: How unfortunate for that person. Maybe there's an opportunity for me. Wait, you don't think that's good, Seaton. I think it's incredible.
Speaker 10: I think Todd's going to end up with the fifteen acre of state in Malibu in the next five Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I think you would be the guy.
Speaker 5: That'd be great.
Speaker 2: That'd be And if you get that job right now, I would let you leave and I would have no problem with that at all.
Speaker 5: I don't want anybody to lose their job.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'll take it.
Speaker 5: Yes, but these are people who are, you know, really old. Yah. Yeah, but you ever done voice overwork?
Speaker 10: You could bang out five episodes in thirty minutes and then that's that's the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know, didn't have to leave anything.
Speaker 16: You could do that in the same time it takes to do the twelve fifteen podcast.
Speaker 2: God could do five episodes of The Simpsons. No, because I'm on an episode that comes out. I think it's Christmas Eve the Simpsons. And I've had a couple of sessions and I only had like four lines, five lines. They they want to hear what they want to hear. And you know how Fritzy would be with something like that. He'd be talking and then hey, can I add no, no, no, no, do we try if this one.
Speaker 16: I know you guys are great writers, but I think it'd be more funny if he did that exactly.
Speaker 2: I remember when I would do ESPN commercials and Kenny Maine always always wanted to change the script and that people who did those great Sports Center commercials. They said no, no, no, this is how we want it. And Kenny would always go, uh, hey, I'm about this, and maybe I say this, and I go, let's just stick to the script.
Speaker 5: They really have a good track record here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul is getting the one of the original voiceover jobs with The Simpsons, the greatest job in history anything, if you think about it. I bet the schedule got easier and easier by the year, and you got paid more and more money by the year. You have job security because the show didn't go away, and Harry Shearer, the actor and comedian, he almost passed on it because he didn't like the idea of doing it in isolation. Guess his career salary just with the Simpsons, Harry.
Speaker 5: Sherey one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 6: It's approaching that. They said, it's into them ninety million estimated. Yeah, that is just and the work it's less and less every year amount of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spectacular. Yeah, I'd love to do that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Hank's area. Every time he's come in studio, he's always in the best mood because he's what you got eighty three millions so far.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he should be happy. Yeah. But they're extremely talented. I mean, they do a variety of voices there. I don't know, it may sound weird to say it, but they deserve it. I mean that show's been on for how many decades now, late eighties, mid to late eighties and unbelievable.
Speaker 5: And still funny.
Speaker 2: Relevant. All right, let me take a break. We're gonna check in with Scott Fowler. He raised his hand at the David Tepper press conference with the Panthers and nobody called on him and he thinks it was on purpose. Well, ask Scott what he was going to ask David Tepper right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the Heart Radio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Dynasty What's Good?
Speaker 8: Jollis, Jamin Man, Michael Smith, esteemed NFL analyst and certified fantasy football legend. Allow me to present to you your new favorite fantasy football podcast, The Dynasty Exchange, hosted by my first round rookie picks, Davis, Dylan and Josh, three guys who most definitely know their stuff. They're the co commissioners of the coolest and most cutthroat dynasty league you'll ever come across the Yacht Club, and now they're the co hosts of the most elite Now make that the definitive dynasty program.
Speaker 5: In the game.
Speaker 8: It's dedicated to only the most devoted of diehards, the guys like me who can't stay off sleeper in KTC, and trust me, you won't regret making the choice to follow their dynasty advice.
Speaker 5: Listen to. Michael Smith presents The.
Speaker 8: Dynasty Exchange on the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Sunday Night, Patrick mahomes at Lambeau for the first time in his career. Chiefs Battle the Packers Sunday seven Eastern on NBC and Peacock. David Tepper, the owner of the Carolina Panthers, held a press conference about an hour ago and didn't know what he was going to talk about other than the firing of Frank Wright and the opportunity for the media to be able to talk to him as well. Scott Fowler, he was representing the Charlotte Observer and he had some questions to ask to David Tepper, or at least tried to, and he joins us on the program. Scott, let me go back to when Frank Reich was fired. What was your reaction to that?
Speaker 12: Well, I guess it had been coming a little bit, Dan, only because I've been here since the inception of the Panthers and have watched David Tepper work. He is not patient. He fired Matt Ruhle med season last year. When Frank w Reich started one in ten, it did feel a little idemically sore dangling there. I sort of thought he would get till the end of the year. He only got eleven games in a four year deal, and when I spoke with him yesterday, I think the only interview he's done so far, he did sound somewhat surprised, but he also said he had no hard feelings toward Tepper.
Speaker 5: What was the atmosphere at the press conference today?
Speaker 12: Very tense. You mentioned that I tried to ask some questions, and I did. I sat in the front row, raised my hand high. Unfortunately, they were calling on people as opposed to allowing people to shout out their questions, which I'm usually decent at doing, but was never called on. I think that was purposeful, for in my opinion, I'd written some very critical columns about Dave Tepper over the past year or so, and so that did not happen. He spoke about thirteen minutes.
Speaker 9: Knowing.
Speaker 12: What did happen was he said the buck stops here. He claimed he was a very patient man, however, and so that's a clip you probably would like to play at some point. But yeah, he said he was extremely patient in other parts of his business, and he hoped the next guy he hired would be here twenty or thirty years and would eventually give the eulogy at Dave Tepper's funeral. So he was thinking very far ahead there, and you know I struck him a couple of times here, but he's got hope that he will get it right this time.
Speaker 2: Does he realize he's the problem? No, I don't think so.
Speaker 12: I think you know, as I wrote, I wish he would fire himself. And by that I don't mean sell the team. I mean just get out of the way, you know, don't meddle and allow the football people to do their job. And once you hire them, allow them some time. You know, if you say Rome's not going to be built in a day, don't expect the Colise seem to be halfway done after three months. They've got a lot of work to do here. And now they just took a couple of steps backward.
Speaker 2: And the thing that kept coming up to me and trying to find out did Frank Mike really want Bryce Young or did he want CJ. Stroud? And the role that the owner, the owner always does this, well, owners can do this where they bigfoot people who do their job the entire year getting ready for the draft. Then all of a sudden the owner is going to be adamant and say, no, this is the guy I want. Jerry Jones famously has done this and other owners. But what role do you think that David Tepper played in drafting Bryce Young.
Speaker 5: In that case?
Speaker 12: Although there's you know, kind of a myth out there that David Tepper overruled everyone and pick Young over CJ. Stroud, I'm not sure it's that simple. He did address that in the press conference today. Tepper did, and he did say that Bryce Young was the preference of every key coach and GM and scout in that room, and he could have vetoted it, but he did not. He also thought Bryce Young was better. Now is that exactly the way it went down? I don't know. But Frank Reich has never told me in all our conversations that, oh, no, I wanted c J. Stroud, even though c J. Stroud's kind of a Frank Wright quarterback in terms of poise and height and all that. He seemed very sold on Bryce Young and remained so even now after you know, Bryce Young's lack of development really I think cost him his job more than anything else.
Speaker 5: How desirable is this head coaching position?
Speaker 12: Well, Dan put it this way, they're paying the last two guys they fired. Frank Reich has a nice consolation prize of, you know, of a four year guaranteed contract. He coached nine months, so he's got, you know, I don't know what it is, twenty five or thirty million come in his way if he doesn't get another job.
Speaker 5: Matt Ruhle.
Speaker 12: Of course they're still paying some money too, went to Nebraska, but there's some money at stake there, so in that way financially, still very desirable. As far as winning, though, I mean, my gosh, if you count interim coaches, which I do because that's a little more fun. In January, they will hire their seventh coach since Tepper took over in twenty eighteen. Forehead guys, three interims. Well, he inherited Ron Rivera, who you could argue he may he should have stuck with maybe the entire time. But in any case, this will be It's been a lot. It's been about once a year, Dan, that we've been doing this sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Are they the second coming of Washington?
Speaker 12: Well, I'll say this for Dave Tepper, he doesn't have the Dan Snyder's you know, off baggage baggy exactly. No, I mean, I will give temper credit for you know, he's changed the stadium around the dynamics of Charlotte. There's all kinds of concerts in there, a lot of He's a great in charity. It hasn't been the off the field baggage, but in terms of results and the spinning carousel of coaches, et cetera, it feels a little like that.
Speaker 5: But Okay, he goes he's he grew up a Steeler fan.
Speaker 12: Correct, right, and he was a minority owner there.
Speaker 2: Okay, why wouldn't you model your franchise after the Steelers? Patience, get the right guy. They've had what three coaches in the last fifty years, right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Tomlins still never having had He's still looking for is Mike Tomlin? I mean he keeps you know, he references the Steelers sometimes, but it sort of is a hollow reference at these times because you've just you've seen this over and over. He also owns the Major League soccer team here Dan and has fired two coaches and two there. But he is a patient.
Speaker 2: Man, patient man. I'd hate to see if he was in patience gott I hope you get to ask what was your question that you were going to ask him.
Speaker 12: It was. I was just he was talking a lot about self reflection, so I was going to ask him, let's self reflect just for a minute. You know, you fired the last three coaches you've had. You fired them all in mid season, and I just wonder if you ever look in a mirror and think, is it me? Am I the problem?
Speaker 2: I think he did a really wise thing of not calling on you, Scott.
Speaker 5: Maybe, so keep fighting the good fight there, Scott, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 12: Thanks always a pleasure.
Speaker 2: That's Scott found. Been with The Charlotte Observer since nineteen ninety four. By the way, my nickname Chris Berman gave me the nickname the Charlotte Observer when I first got to ESPN because I they had me observe how to do Sports Center for three months and Berman goes, it's the Charlotte Observer And I.
Speaker 5: Would just be there. I would sit there and go, I can do this. This isn't a big deal.
Speaker 6: Like a rookie quarterback waiting for your chance.
Speaker 5: Well, no rookies. They just throw him in there.
Speaker 6: Well like the old days were, like you know, yeah.
Speaker 5: I would have been Steve McNair.
Speaker 2: I would sat for Aaron Rodgers I sat for three months watching these guys, and then my wife goes, what do you do when you go in there? I go, not much, you know, I just kind of I'm in there and just observe. That's it. I didn't know what I was observing because there's nobody like Berman, so you can't be Berman. I'm like, Okay, I'm gonna watch Tim Brando or Bob Lee or Tom Mee's Yeah, Paul, Okay.
Speaker 6: In retrospect, I don't know if you've thought about this before. Do you think it would have been tougher to do that job? Sports Center at the time was very popular and you went in onto a show that was already very popular and you rose it up. But that three months you waited, was that probably a good thing? Or if you would have walked in your first weekend and started on Monday and on your first show.
Speaker 5: I didn't. I didn't learn anything from observing.
Speaker 6: But you oh, really, do you think it just delayed it?
Speaker 2: Only thing it helped me with is to understand the person you might be working with their personality. And the first show I did was with Berman, but to be around Bob Lee, who I later became a partner with on Sports Center or tom Meees there were and the people behind the scenes. So it helped me kind of get immersed in the ESPN way of like the culture there. But as far as being on the air, there's nothing that can replicate that. Once you're on live TV there, you know, there's nobody there to help you. You're it's live go, there's bullets flying around. Yeah, Poem, do you remember the.
Speaker 6: First person to use that word immersed? Because when I was watching in college, one of you guys, you and others would say you were immersed in Sports Center and it's snarky. I forget who said that, but it felt like a snarky line.
Speaker 5: You were immersed, was it Dave Revsen?
Speaker 6: I don't know, it seems older.
Speaker 5: No, maybe you were immersed in Sports Center.
Speaker 6: Someone used to say that on air.
Speaker 2: A couple of phone calls. Let me see Steven in Alabama. Hi Steven, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 13: Dan, how y'all doing great? Six foot three, two thirty one. So I got a question for PAULI.
Speaker 14: So my fifty part day is coming up next year and I'm doing a dream trip and we're going to Chicago's to Wrigley Field, for my first every game in Wrigley Field, and then we're headed down to the Field of Dreams.
Speaker 15: So I can just go basically see the Field of Dreams.
Speaker 14: But I wanted to know if he had any recommendations, like twices to go with Chicago that might not be you know, on the on the tour stuff or whatever, something he kind of off the beaten paths or anything like that.
Speaker 5: All right, Paulie, any advice for Steven and all I can.
Speaker 6: Give him some food tests, but I would actually tell you, go to Wrigley Field and then if you can take the L train all the way down and go to I call it Comiski Park, go to Soxs Park and see the two different sides of town and two different ballparks. And if you could schedule it, you could see an afternoon Cubs game in a late afternoon or nighttime White Sox game and see two sides of the city, two different ballparks without and you'll spend like ten dollars in transportation on the L train.
Speaker 2: It's very cool, and I wouldn't recommend the pizza.
Speaker 6: I would recommend it as a tourist if you haven't had great deep dish pizza the locals eat more like pub tavern style pizza. They don't eat deep dish regularly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's stuff is just doe.
Speaker 6: It can be.
Speaker 5: It's like, give me thin crust.
Speaker 6: There's a place called Pea Quads near to Paul.
Speaker 5: Top end stuff, but thin crust good to go.
Speaker 6: Most people in Chicago, week to week, year to year, eat like the medium, thin crust pizza. It's not the deep dish. That's that's for special occasions and for visitors.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yes, you got to get an Italian beef sandwich. Oh yeah, yeah, Chicago, Yeah, that's true. Forget about the pizza.
Speaker 2: Yeah yes.
Speaker 6: And if you're in a nice neighborhood getting an Italian beef sandwich, it go to a different neighborhood. Oh, I'm telling you go to the South Side for Italian beef.
Speaker 7: Sound.
Speaker 2: If you can't, how do you know when you're in a nice neighborhood or you're not in a nice.
Speaker 6: Marvin Come on, now, that's right. That's very easy if you eat your sandwich comfortably and you're not nervous at all and go to a different area.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jeff and Syracuse, Hey Jeff, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 7: Dan, thanks for taking my call. By the way, wearing Krevenford State T shirt today.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 7: Going back to the conversation on Belichick, justin thoughts last questions. You got a coach who's going to be next season, what's seventy one years old including this season, last three out of four seasons, if he's got a losing record, reportedly just signed to contract extension last summer. So Kraft isn't just gonna probably not going to cut him loose and pay him, you know, huge buyout. So that means you're looking to trade him an every team. A few years ago, Box had the pony up two first and two seconds and from cash to get Gruden. What's it going to cost to get Belichick and what teams are going to be interested? Dan, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, you could see Washington ponying up and letting Belichick come in and run the organization. I don't know if there's a downside to what has happened at Washington and then you bring him in. Maybe he could. Now you still don't have a franchise quarterback. Sam how is good? I don't know if he's a franchise quarterback, and that puts Bill back in the same situation. Bill needs to have his franchise quarterback all of these coaches do. Sometimes you look and you go, how like Mike Tomlin and what he's done when he had Trubisky. Now Kenny Pickens like Kenny Pickett, but he still keeps them relevant. They're not necessarily franchise quarterback, so at least you know, Trubisky wasn't, but he got to the playoffs a couple of times.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 2: Some of these coaches get more out of their quarterback and they aren't franchise quarterbacks. But boy, it certainly does help when you don't have to worry about that position for the next ten years. But Bill's had to worry about that. It's like every series he'll be like, a, I don't know, they're gonna put Mic Jones in there. He won't even make a decision on who his quarterback is this week, as if that's going to do something to the team playing them. Wait, is it ZAPPI is it Mac? We're gonna have to order our game plan? Hey, come on, just name the starter. How about you give the starter some confidence. Imagine these two kids, they're like, I don't know. They go home and their wife or you know their father. It's like, what's the story. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Hey, coach, thanks, Hey coach, Hey, who's taking the first team reps? You guys are.
Speaker 2: Gonna you guys are gonna split them. That's what you're gonna do, all right, last call for phone calls. Paulie has a not a dilemma. Well, maybe it's a little dilemma. How about a quandary? Is quandary in the definition of a dilemma? Could we check that, ton, Since you're the smartest guy in the room, at least you tell us that graduated second in your class.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 6: Quandary a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation.
Speaker 5: But that's not a dilemma.
Speaker 6: It's similar words dilemma plate.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you do have a dilemma, yeah, slash quander, slash opportunity quandary Ishmael, I remember him. He was great received as you see what I did with that time? Thank you, thank you back.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Last golf for phone calls, what we learned, what's in store tomorrow? What are we going to watch tonight too? This day in sports history, we'll have that all of those items coming up only as a dilemma quandary because he saw a piece of sports memorabilia. It's up for auction. It is Walter Payton's shoulder pads. Just you saying it from the nineteen eighty five eighty six season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Game U shoulder pads. They would appear to be used in the bothy eighty five and eighty six seasons. They're on auction right now. A couple different people have authenticated them, so they have a little number on them, like for written for the number. They appear to be real. Let's say they're real. When I saw it, I was pretty surprised. I looked into it. I did some research and it appears to be the real deal. Game used Peyton shoulder pads. Supposedly there's only a couple in existence, like two or three in existence.
Speaker 5: So what's the dilemma. What's the quandary?
Speaker 6: I really want to buy these, this is not a radio bit, and I'd like to do it, But do I do it? And just deal with what happens at home. Or do I say to my wife make the whole pitch, like this is something I'd really like to own.
Speaker 5: I would run it by my wife.
Speaker 6: But what if she says no, dice, Like I know she can't say no no, but like she could highly recommend don't buy those.
Speaker 2: I think you should, Like, there's a dollar amount that you run by your wife.
Speaker 6: Okay, so let's say that dollar amount hypothetically, Let's.
Speaker 2: Say it's thirty four hundred dollars, so it's Walter's number and a couple of heros in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: See, why don't you just forego any like holiday presents or anything and be like, this is the only thing that I want.
Speaker 2: I'll do that.
Speaker 6: Wow, I need a sweater.
Speaker 10: If only there was a major holiday coming up with people usually exchanged gifts for that, you could possibly parlay that into getting these pads.
Speaker 2: But then you might say to your family and your two daughters, Hey, in lieu of gifts, I got this for everybody, Walter Payton's shoulder pads vacation Yeah, or.
Speaker 6: These past I mean, by the way, you can't put them on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going to stay right there? How much are you willing to spend on Walter Payton's game used shoulder pains?
Speaker 6: In all seriousness, yes, I think i'd pay four thousand, right, because I've wasted four thousands on really stupid.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, you are giving that too much attention. Therefore more people might bid this up right, And now you're your own worst enemy.
Speaker 6: I've actually looped in, son of the great Walter Peyton, Jarrett Payton.
Speaker 5: Okay, is this an inside job here?
Speaker 6: No, he didn't know, He did not know about this, but he does now he does, and he knows all on this topic. So he is going to inquire and do some due diligence to make sure they're real on my behalf.
Speaker 3: Foury twice to the man in the front.
Speaker 6: But you know, right in the where does it stand now? Twenty two hundred dollars four days to go?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: But like in the house, right in the when you enter a big display.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, or maybe over the door your door, yeah, or make it into a mailbox or something. I don't know. But what's the most you spent on something I could? I usually don't buy memorabilia.
Speaker 6: Sports memorability, like vehicles, are very your your thing. Yes, they're kind of my thing too, but I don't really do dabble the hat. This is a rare piece of sport.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: I did bid on a car, a Portie, and I was on I just had my knee replaced, and I was on Percoset. And I remember coming downstairs and I said, I just bought a car, and my wife goes, what, I go, yeah, and I'm on Percoset and she goes, well, can you can you turn it back in? I go, I don't think so. So I haven't had any surgeries anymore. Uh, And and had any purposet either. Paulie, how about you take some percoset and then you can I got it out. Yes, honey, I was on Percoset for what. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just was, Yes, Martin, I.
Speaker 3: Have another question concerning Paulie. You didn't ask Paulie what he was going to do once the show ended.
Speaker 5: Oh Paulie, what are you going to do in four years?
Speaker 6: Four years from now?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 6: Not this type of job, but I would say if it was in sports, I think I'd like to work exclusively covering college football, working in collellege football. The more I'm around it and seeing it even after all these changes. I just think that's the best sport.
Speaker 5: Would you be an investigative reporter? Yeah, would you be like Yahoo's Sports.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know, something related to college football, covering it, going to games. I think it's just the best sport.
Speaker 5: Maybe you'd just cover the IVY League. Oh yeah, it'd be pretty good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yes, Seaton, Yeah, Paul, he's a big college football guy.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's you love it. You love the atmosphere, it's it's going in a different direction.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: This day in sports history, PAULI, let's see.
Speaker 6: This day in sports history. Ernie Nevers in nineteen twenty nine of the Chicago Cardinals scored forty points in a single game. He had six touchdowns and this one just because the name. Dippy Evans in nineteen forty eight became the first NFL player to score two touchdowns and recovered fumbles in a game. Dippy, Dippy. And then guess who was on the cover of Sports Illustrated this day. Ironically, we're talking Sports Illustrated this day in History. Nineteen seventy seven, College basketball secret Weapon Larry Bird.
Speaker 5: Larry Bird on the cover back two cheerleaders.
Speaker 6: YEWS.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 6: Two thousand and two, Michael Jordan announced he was retiring the third and final time.
Speaker 2: I didn't cover the retirement from the from the Wizards. I covered from the bulls. I thought that was the original. I showed my press pass right there on the door that goes to the mailroom. You can see the Jordan lamine it there. Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: Around the room.
Speaker 5: What we learned in the program? Todd, did you learn anything today?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: It's legal and all qbs do it.
Speaker 5: But Chase Daniels says the Mississippimu.
Speaker 3: But Tom Brady put on a football was extra shiny.
Speaker 5: All right, see O'Connor.
Speaker 10: Scott Fowler's making friends in the area.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin Fritzy, New March Simpson, Yeah.
Speaker 11: Thanks very much.
Speaker 6: Paulie Scott Fowler called him Dave Tepper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, David Tepper. I'll dare you, Hall, Dave, you talk to you tomorrow.