Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the short Stuff. I'm Josh and Chucks here too, and so's Jerry sitting in for Dave, which makes this short stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've been singing Ween all day because of this one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, are we talking about molluscs?
Speaker 2: No, from the song Freedom of seventy six when they sing about the liberty bell.
Speaker 1: I don't know that one liberty bell cracked in half is mine?
Speaker 2: So it's that's been on a loop in my head. Okay, I'll bet bake a bacon steak a perfect match.
Speaker 1: You know, it's been on a loop in my head.
Speaker 2: Either the final countdown or that one you were whistling the other day that drove it. Yep in Vega, you can gear worm it with the best of them. Yes, you know.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about Ween the other day. I was like, I need to find something new to like get into, and I was like, you know, Ween's got a pretty extensive collection, and I never really got into him. Not because I don't like him, I just never got into him. I'm sure think I'll go see if I can get into Wien a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, I continue the book on how to do that. In the order of operation okay, please do yeah, please do. I need to send you a canister of nitrius too, though, that's fine. I'm not sure if you can do that through the mail.
Speaker 1: Please do. So we're talking liberty bell, that's right. And the reason why we're talking liberty bell is because well there's no good reason, but let's talk about the liberty bell anyway, because it's actually pretty interesting. The liberty bell, we think of today as the liberty Bell, is a fraud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's go back in time a little bit to seventeen fifty one. Let's hop in the old wayback machine. This is, oh boy, dusty as can be.
Speaker 1: Don't get too close to this fide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is very dusty, but it still fires up. Look at that the flex capacitor is flexing. And off we go to seventeen fifty one to the State House of Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania State House, where they have just brought in the bell. And even though it's not named the liberty Bell at this point, that would come along well, as we see much later, it's a bell and it was used, although it had very a lot of causes and purposes through the years. Sure, at first it was just a bell. We ring it when someone important dies, or we need to call the government together, like the reasons you ring a town bell.
Speaker 1: Someone won at Bingo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ring that bell.
Speaker 1: They called it initially the State House Bell, which is on the nose but appropriate because it was originally commissioned by the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly to be the bell in the Pennsylvania State House in Philadelphia. They didn't even call that Independence Hall. It was the Pennsylvania State House in Philadelphia. Everything was very business like, bureaucratically named, and it told you what it did and what it was, and that's how they liked it.
Speaker 2: That's right. The bell itself was cast by Lester and Pack Company out of London with the words proclaim liberty, throw out all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof which is apparently referenced a reference to Leviticus in the Old Bible. Duh. And it was about three feet high, a circumference of twelve feet late, about twenty one one hundred pounds twenty one hundred pounds. And like I said, it was just a bell. And here's the thing about the Liberty bell on that crack is no one really agrees on exactly how that happened.
Speaker 1: No, but some historians think that it cracked the first time it was used in seventeen fifty two, after it was installed, like the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Lester and Pack were like, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: All right, Actually it's pretty cool. They made good on replacement. So the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly said Pack, Lester fellaws, we need a replacement bell, and we're not going to pay for it, okay, And they said that's fine, we'll send you another bell. And the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly was like, well do you I mean, you want the correct one back? Do you want us to send a picture of it or something. They're like, you just keep it. Do whatever you want with it. Make belt buckles out of it, munitions, hat buckles, if you're still into the pilgrim thing, shoe buckles, shoe buckles, all the any kind of buckle you want to make. You go ahead and use that belt. And they said, you know what, we're going to actually use this bell to make a replacement bell while we wait for the real replacement bell. And this is where it gets confusing, unnecessarily, and I say we take a break. Just let all that sink in.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do it st ja all right, So if I am understanding this correctly, you now have two bells.
Speaker 1: Technically three eventually, but one doesn't exist any longer. But it does because it's now been melted into the second bell.
Speaker 2: Okay. But you also have the replacement bell, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, and they were both apparently in the Pennsylvania Statehouse. They're both used. But who knows what happened to the replacement bell that pack and lester scent.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so that's the one that wasn't officially hung or hanged. I'm not sure what you would say there.
Speaker 1: I would say hung, but then you would correct me.
Speaker 2: Okay. So it was the one that they melted down and fixed the and redid the original that is the official one.
Speaker 1: Then that's what we call liberty bell, yes, okay, all right, But they didn't call it the liberty bell back then again, they called the Statehouse bell. And then they were like which one. They're like, the original one. They're like, I thought that one was melted down. They're like, yes, this is the one that we melted down from the original. Yeah. It went on a lot every time somebody asked about it.
Speaker 2: So they're belling this thing up. They're using it as you would use a bell. In seventeen seventy seven, when the British were encroaching, they removed the bell because they didn't want it captured and melted down into bullets basically or buckles. They hit it again later on in a church. I'm sorry, they hit it in the church, then in Allentown, and then seventeen eighty five they raised it again, and it was really just a bell until eighteen twenty four are when Marquis de Lafayette was the last general of the Revolution that survived, when on a tour of the United States and America, that's when America was like, hey, let's rename this place Independence Hall, and let's call this thing. Well, actually, it took another eleven years to call it the Liberty Bell.
Speaker 1: Even Yeah, it was some abolitionists who were like, oh, you got a liberty bell. Huh, you know who? The liberty bell isn't ring for enslaved people, So let's do away with slavery. And they actually used the liberty bell and the new National pride around it and really kind of point out just how slavery is a terrible thing. And we need to do away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here's where it gets really interesting. That first bell is damaged and cracked, so they melt it down make this new one. The new bell cracks as well. And they're not exactly sure how this happened either, but they think it was in eighteen thirty five when it was rung to mark the death of John Marshall, chief Justice of the United States, to mark his passing, and other people say, you know, now, it was really the eighteen forties during the Fourth of July when things got really rowdy, or other people said, no, it was on February twenty third, when we were getting hammered celebrating George Washington's birthday. Like people are just ringing the heck out of this thing, and no one's really sure. The National Park Service, for their point of view, just says, you know, it just cracked after ninety years of use, like quit asking, just.
Speaker 1: Be quiet, just take the templeate and be quiet exactly. But apparently there's some researchers who in nineteen seventy five were like, actually, it wasn't just like hard use. This bell was destined to crack. And the reason why is because they're high tink content. It's like a quarter ten almost that you don't want to use that in a bell that peals maybe a decorative bell something you find it like kirk Clans or something that it's not meant to ring. Sure, make that out of tent, but you're using like a functional workhorse bell. Do not put twenty in that thing.
Speaker 2: No, you've been telling me that for years.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: The bell they tried to fix in eighteen forty six because Washington's birthday was rolling around again, and they're like, listen, you know what we do here in Philly. We get drunk, We ring this bell. We act incredibly inhospitable for our professional sports teams and the teams that play them.
Speaker 1: Don't get us started on Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: And they use something called stop drilling, which in which they actually widened the crack. The crack now is twenty one inches long and about an inch a couple of centimeters wide, and they would widen it so basically when it was wrong that the two sides would not touch each other at all and create this awful buzz. Yeah exactly, So they widened it so they it wouldn't touch. But another crack developed and they were like, we got to find a better way to celebrate Washington's birthday. We can't ring this thing anymore.
Speaker 1: They forget it. Forget it. I'm done with this stupid bell, That's what they said. Yeah, so it became a true symbol after that point. They just stopped ringing it. And apparently over the years people have been like, we got to fix that thing, we got to ring that thing again. It's a big deal, and other people are like, don't even bother. It's like better as a symbol, And in fact, it proved it's worth pretty quickly on as a symbol. During World War One, I guess it went on a whistle stop tour of the United States on the back of a train and drummed up enthusiasm and support for liberty bonds, like they were called liberty bonds because the liberty bell was basically the mascot of this bond drive to raise money for the US to fight World War One, and they ended up raising in today's dollars, billions of dollars from liberty bonds thanks to that cute little bell with the crack in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty good earned it's worth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they think a quarter of the United States saw the Liberty Bell during that tour. That's how popular it was. People just thronged to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, pretty neatre, do you neat? But if anyone is emailing me right now, oh yeah, well the Phillies own the braves the past two years. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get out of sports radio. It's toxic. You got anything else?
Speaker 2: I got nothing else?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, since checks of that short stuff's out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you should know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.