Speaker 1: On the economy, on markets, on the states of banking. I'm pleased to say that Blomberg's Francine Laqua so the JP Morgan Club Markets conference in Paris with a special guest.
Speaker 2: Hey, friend, Yeah, a special guest John. He's called Jamie Diamond. He runs JP Morgan and I'm delighted to speak to him. Jamie Diamond, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: It's happy to be here. Hey.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on. It's trade wars, markets up and down. What did you learn in the last month?
Speaker 3: Not much other than we have all this uncertainty. You know, some preceded the new administration, like we had large deficits, intr rates going up, inflation going up, and some are you know, tariffs and things. And of course the geopolitical situation is very tense, very difficult and hard to resolve.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you forget projections numbers, what's your hunch is the UYS going to go into a recession or not?
Speaker 3: Look, I'm going to defer to economists who give it about a fifty percent chance. I think all these things are probably inflationary a little bit more and slowing down the economy. If there's a recession. I don't know how big it'll be or how long it'll last. Hopefully we'll avoid it, but I wouldn't take it off to the table at this point.
Speaker 2: If you look at you know, the trade war and then the somewhat reconciliation between the US and China, does it hold.
Speaker 3: I think it's the right thing to do is to back off of some of that stuff, you know, to have an engage in conversation. I'm grateful they did the US UK deal. You know, it's an agreement in principle. So you know, there's a lot of one sertaty still and there's all of one certay still in the China thing. But at least we started and obviously calms down the markets. That's not the reason to do it, but the markets, you know, do voters something like that, and so you'll still have uncertainty to resolve the ninety day triggers a lot of these things, and hopefully they will be resolved. What are you with your complex? I don't expect immediate resolution, you know, it's the satisfactory of everybody in ninety days.
Speaker 2: But do you expect markets to settle from here? Because we have a little bit more of a blueprint, or it could volatility pick back up at any second.
Speaker 3: No, markets are quite unpredict well, I think there's a lot of uncertainty out there that you can't discount, you know when I you know, war in Ukraine, territory in the Middle East, you know, I ran. You know, huge deficits are tax bill, which I would like to see a good tax bill at pass. You know, the terrorists, the reaction of country to tariffs. The EU and the UK are about to negotiate. I think they have a chance to actually develop a great relationship, you know, partially making up for you know, the disaster the Brexit became. And uh so, yeah, those those are unsurgerties. You can't eliminate them because you want to.
Speaker 2: But what are your biggest clients saying about this market volatility? Have they made money on the back of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Some, you know, some doing some don't. And you know, volatility volatier would be good or bad depending on you know, who's who's facing it. So but I but I would expect continued volatility. I think it's a mistake to think we can go through all the things we're going through, and the volatility itself will come down.
Speaker 2: Has it been good for JP margin, you know, trading.
Speaker 3: Volic Yes, because when this volatility is a very simplistic way to look at, bread's gap out and traders make more money if there's more volume. So we had both this time, more volatility, more volume. But it's very often you have a lot of volatility and spreads gap out there's much less volume. So you've seen examples where there's good volatility and there's bad volatile. This one happened to be good, the next go around may not be so good, Jamie.
Speaker 2: When it comes to financials, I mean, you know a lot of I guess non bank entrants are making quite a lot of way Citadel Jane Street, is that a you know, a concern for the banks. Shouldn't be a problem for the banks.
Speaker 3: I would call it a problem. You know, they're both clients. I'm very capable, you know, but I've always had the view there are a lot of competitors out there, and you know, all the major banks are back. I think that's a good thing for the world, you know, maybe not so much for Jamie Morgan. There's you mentioned those two, there's Apollo. There's a lot of FinTechs, some very good ones. There's Stripe, there's PayPal. Yeah, my view has always been the same. I tell the magic Assume competition. Assume they're coming at you in every angle. Assume they often have their own strengths. Sometimes their own weness is they won't all do great, But yeah, I think they're you know, some of these people gaining quite a bit of shared in parts of the business. We still are too, by the way, so you know we're in the fight. We're not losing out very much. But that doesn't mean you won't lose out tomorrow because you're winning today.
Speaker 2: So what do you have to do today? How do you see the people that are doing you know well today doing even better tomorrow.
Speaker 3: It's about us are other people both? It's quality to people you interviewed Prinav, I mean we have exceptional people and investment, banking and sales and training, and say I put right next to that technology. But it's related because those people deploying technology. So there are thousands of technology projects and then there are hundreds of AI projects, all of which are meant to do a better job for customers, consumer research, how we deliver things to people, and if you don't move. You know you're going to be left behind. I mean, I remind you could be a country or a company. You do not have a divine right to success. You know, we mentioned as management learnings as I did. You can see it on YouTube and all that. But I put out to people, look at the bank, look at no Key, BlackBerry, Sears, Kmart Bearster Lehman, I can chapter of diverse a failed companies usually because they're complacent, arrogant. They think they're on the top of the top of the world and they're not. They're competitors coming everywhere, and you should assume that's gonna be true.
Speaker 2: Do you see competitors coming for the US?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Where are Europe?
Speaker 3: Are about the countries?
Speaker 2: The countries?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think Europe. Let me just ask. I think Kere Starmer, Mers and Macrone. I think Macrone is one of the best political leaders in the planet today. Okay, I think Kre Starmer is smart, devoted. They're saying the right things public and privately, all of them talking about growing the economies, thank god, pro business, pro capital, and they're doing all of that to improve the lot of their citizens. It's not about what they're doing for JP Morgan, And if I was europe absolutely I'd want to great live in the UK military econom and I would reform as best I can in all of European things. What they're all talking about now, deregulation, simplification, and yeah, they try to compu to America, and that would be good for America. That doesn't make me sad. It makes me happy that they're strong. And then you know their allies. I want our allies to be strong and powerful militarily and economically.
Speaker 2: Do you worry about US supremacy actually exceptionalism, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Look, I never believe her quite that exception. I mean, remember, America is an unbelievable country with freedoms and the gifts of God and you know, water, food, energy, and then the gifts of founding falls called freedom of religion, freedom of speech, from enterprise. That was dwarf everything. And so we still have the most prosperous economy the world's ever seen. But the Americans shouldn't take it as a divine rights sace either. We slowed ourselves down with regulation, stupid bureaucracy. You know, we don't we're not getting we haven't done budgets in years. You know. So now we shouldn't assume it's forever. I don't think are will still be pre eminent, you know, militarily and economically for a long time, you know. But if we don't do everything right, we can lose that too. You have twenty thirty forty years from now, and I think very important that is America. The goal of America should be to help the military alliances of the Western world and to help the economic alliance of the Western world to walk side by side like you did in victory in Europe day the other day here to strengthen the Western world and hold it together, you know, not the cause of the fragments, and so I think we have to work hard to make sure that's the case.
Speaker 2: Do you worry about the deficits and do you worry actually in the US And do you worry USO about the US dollar remaining as a reserve currency. Do you think Europe has what it takes to try and put the euro in there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think I should have mentioned deficits up front as being one of the issues you have to deal And I think acid prices quite high too, and those create various risks for America. Our deficit is almost two trillion dollars six or seven percent of GDP, the largest peacetime deficit ever. And we have one hundred percent debt to GDP. That one hundred percent debt to GDP is kind of universal almost around Europe on average, but your deficits is are much smaller. Does that create a risk? Absolutely, it creates a risk of inflation. To me, it creates a risk of higher long term rates. Well, you know, but America will the dollar that week? I don't know that. That's a slightly different. I think you could see rates go up, the long bond rates go up, and you know that might slow down to growth, and that's how we you know, kind of a stagflation kind of scenario.
Speaker 2: Would you, I mean you must see President Trump regularly. What do you what do you tell? What would you tell?
Speaker 3: I talked to all of us. I talked to all of the folks there. I wrote about my Chairman's letter. I mean we have first of all, America should worry about things we can do better. You know, I call it blue tape. I mean our regular we are out of control. We're doing the same stuff that they did here that you know virtually you know, the American publican don't know. The GDP per person in Europe has gone from something like ninety percent of Americas to sixty five percent. And they did it to themselves. Rules, regulations, over complication. They started the European Union, which I think is a huge accomplishment of mankind. They got to finish it. And here they they called the Capital Markets Union, the Banking Union. You know, they have to create a big common market of four and fifty million people. And so in America it's the same thing. It's regulations, it's permitting. You know, we've overdone. We've wasted a lot of money in the green economy. It's getting jobs back, it's training in schools, it's fixing immigration. So we've stopped at the border. But now we have to have a more merit based immigration, more seasonal immigration, you know, things that can help the country grow. And then we have to work in our military alliances and economic alliances. And that's for the sake of the future free and democratic world.
Speaker 2: So on the economic alliance, is there a concern that actually certain countries in Europe or elsewhere will choose non US bank from bondishferences, will choose non US asset managers to manage their pensions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there'll be a little of that, you know. I mean, we irritate a lot of people, so I rout into them. They say, you know, like they're not buying our you know, Kentucky bourbon or stuff like that. There'll be some of that, And I think it's perfectly reasonable for you know, I spoke a lot of investors here. They're thinking about the ass allocation of the United States, Well, they diminished it. Possibly is America a bad investment destination out If you could take all of your money and put it in one country, it would still be America. I mean, it's still the most prosperous nation of the planet. It's got the best military in the planet. It's got huge amounts of immigrant innovation. People are catching up. That's a good thing. You know, China's doing some very good innovation and medical and AI, and we should assume they're continue to do that. But America still got the best. Our GDP versus eighty five thousand dollars, you know, China's fifteen thousand dollars. But other than they're ashamed about we should fix our problems because we could grow a lot faster, which help all of our citizens.
Speaker 2: But if you put to too many tariffs and actually too much uncertainty, does that not squander actually a lot of the assets that they used.
Speaker 3: I think they're doing the right thing now, which is the back off of it. Let you know, the Secretary of Treasury do the hard work of figuring out what's the right thing to do. If they're unfair trade things, do something about it, you know. But they have bet off of specific things and specific industries, and I think that's the right thing to do. I think the first thing is very large, that everything in everywhere all at once, and now they're kind of backing to where I think they should be in terms. But even at this level, it caused that kind of uncertainty. Even this level, you see people holding back on investment and thinking through what they want to do, you know, thinking about, you know, how much you're gonna put in the United States, and I mean, we're gonna be okay. But it is causing that uncertainty.
Speaker 2: We're looking at the president of course, in the Middle East, where there were seals that you know, deals that were signed and a lot of wall streets. Some of your competitors say what's your strategy for the Middle East? How much do you want to grow there?
Speaker 3: Well, we grow everywhere. I mean, you know, we go country by country and we look at you know, we bank country, cities, schools, states, hospitals, big companies everywhere. We have a network effect. So when we bank Bloomberg, we're banking the United States. We're banking you in London, in Paris, we're banking you in Europe, We're banking you in the Middle East. That's what we do. So almost every one of those countries we're growing. As they grow, we grow, we cover more of their institution overseas were institutional in the United States. We also have a consumer and so you know, as you know, we're testing the consumer and chase UK to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're growing actually that retail business a lot in the UK. What's next for that?
Speaker 3: I hope to We hope to grow more in the UK, add some products and eventually we've already anounced we're going to go to Germany. But I think we have a chance to build a great digital bank, and we have competitive advantages. We have a brand, we have research, we have a balance sheet, we've got capabilities. We're going to add you know, we're not gonna announce it today. We'd add more capabilities over time, so that and then someone like you, if you travel the United States and to the UK, you're gonna be able to move your money between Chase US and Chase UK on your phone. So we're add things that make your life better as a consumer of our banking product.
Speaker 2: You certainly caught some waves in uh, you know, talking about return to the office. I think there might have been a little bit swearing at bit there or not. People listened, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Back full time listen. First of all, I tried, I did a mote dare I you know, people know me and I don't really care about that. I don't worry about it, but I answered, I want to answer. The guy asked a legitimate question and I gave it a very detailed answer about why it doesn't work for young people, why it doesn't work for management, why it doesn't work for innovation. I completely applaud your right to not to want to go to the office every day, but you're not going to tell JP Moore what to do. And I think we already have ten percent of jobs at home. I'm not against work from home. I'm against work from it doesn't work. And then of course the press made a big deal about the petition and all that. It was like not even Mosquito. Most people back some people. We've had no additional attrition, you know, we had to make some modificate, you know, we didn't have enough seats in certain areas. And it will be a better company and I think our employees will be happier over time, and the younger people learned the right way. You know, it's an apprenticeship system and you can't learn working from your basement.
Speaker 2: Jamie Diamond, thank you so much for joining us today. That was, of course, the chief executive officer of JP Morgan. I'm going to send it back to you in New York.
Speaker 1: John front Sine, thank you appreciate the update over in Paris, France with Jamie Dimon, the CEO and chair of JP Morgan