Speaker 1: It's I Do Part two and it's your favorite real life single Gal Louise back on with you. I'm excited today because I've got a guest who's been on the pod before. We love her because she keeps it authentic, honest, and most importantly real. You know her from Real Housewives of OC. It's Megan King. Hi, Megan, Nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Ky Louise, Nice to meet you as well.
Speaker 1: So let's jump in. I know you have a lot that you want to talk about today, and on this pod we talk not just about divorces and dating, but also the mess that comes after divorce. I'm divorced, so I got you from your own experience. What's it like going through the mess and also being in the pub like I at the same time.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's been almost six years for me, so I'm divorced, and I've been divorced for quite some years now. But it seems as if when you know, whenever you just one decides willingly that they're going to be a public figure, as I did when I signed up for the Real Housewives of Orange County, it doesn't go away. It's you signing a deal with the devil and you gotta handle it, you know, whatever life throws your way after that. And for me, life through divorce my way and a very public messy one. I was married to another public figure and it's it's now the press and combined with whatever celebrity I may have earned from the Housewives, has exposed me to the masses, you know, the population as a villain or you know, however my ex wants to paint me as or anyone who has anything against me and so, and this isn't just a typical story with me. It's a typical story with most people going through any sort of you know, divorce or high stakes debate, conflict, conflict. Yeah, exactly, it sucks.
Speaker 1: It really does. Do you actually think that your platform that you've built is being used against you? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 3: I think that When I went in the Real Housewives Orange County, I showed my life as we do, and people fall in love with me or they or they learned to hate me through what you see on TV. So people feel like they know me. And then I extend that to my social media. I carefully cultivated my social media following on Instagram, and I showed people the real me and they do know me, and so they have strong opinions about that. Now my ex husband, or just anyone in general who's an athlete. They are known for their skill and not their personal lives, and so no one really truly cares about if you know, Joe Schmoe hockey player is getting divorced from beautiful Susie Q because nobody knows Susie C And nobody really cares about Joe Shmo's personal life. They care about how many goals he's scoring in the Stanley Cup. So unfortunately, in my situation, you have, you know, two people with platforms. But I think my platform is the one where people, well, I know, my platform is the one there are people care about my personal life. They like to watch the mess they like to watch that train wreck and my and because I have that, it's like anybody who wants to paint me in any sort of light can push that narrative out to the press, and I'm the one that has to deal with the fallout, not the baseball fans, not the one who put it there. It's me.
Speaker 1: It's actually really really painful. I live in Los Angeles. I see all the time in the entertainment world as well, and you know there's usually one person. A lot of times it's us that is kind of like odd man out, pushed out, and it's it's very painful. I can speak to that. Do you think that there's any way at this point for you to course correct the damage now that it's been done, or do you come to a point where it's I'm just not even to try to prove myself. I know who I am the people in my life that know me authentically, and I'm not going to sit here and try to like convince those people. Otherwise it's become entertainment for them, right, It's fodder for them because they're boring and they need to get a life. Okay, yes, So where do you sit on it? Do you feel compelled to try to clean it up? Or are you just like, eh, whatever.
Speaker 3: I think it's a combination of all of that. Yes, of course, the people who know me are going to know who I am, who the real me is, and they're going to support me no matter what. Or they're going to come to me with the true story and then that's that. Right, I'll tied up in a nice little bow. But that doesn't mean that the Court of public opinion has has heard that or believes that, and that is very important for me. I'm a real turn now. I have shifted my life for Jet Deory from being a public figure to really focusing on being a midbost mom, single mom. You've started a new career that in the middle of life. I mean, that's a daunting thing to do. So I'm kind of straddling this world where I'm like, Okay, I do need to defend myself a little bit in order to control the narrative, to control my reputation so that I can continue to get sales.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was going to ask you. I'm a realtor too. Has it impacted your business or no? Because of all the sexy real estate shows and there are a lot of people that like having the celebrity also as part of their representative.
Speaker 3: People don't want their Sotheby's agent, their high end me Sothibe's agent to be this, you know, selling sunset girl.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I live in country club, high end Saint Louis, Missouri. I'm in the middle of the country. It's very Southern traditional and it on one hand, and it's great because we protect one another in our community. And our individuals. On the other hand, it's a small big town, so everybody knows everything, and word travels fast, and so if that word is true or not true, it doesn't matter. Everybody's going to know, going to hear about it. And yes, it has effect of my business because I have had quote unquote haters call my brokerage to try to get me fired and tried to get me kicked off of a real estate team I was on. And then yesterday as an article and US Weekly came out, I had to meet with my broker to explain the real story. And you know what, gratefully and I'm so grateful my actions have spoken louder than my words over the last year, thank God, because my broker says she wouldn't even open the article. She has seen her yes, and that speaks for itself.
Speaker 1: So exactly empowered you and you had proven yourself to her.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yep. So that felt That feels really good. But that takes time. That takes to build that trust and to show people who you truly are. You can't just tell. That takes time, and so this has been a huge lesson in the arena of patients for me. Because I cannot fix the way people think about me, and other than saying something, if they're not going to believe me it, I just have to show them over time. And that is a very freaking humbling experience.
Speaker 1: It is because you have to. So you're living your life authentically and true to who you are right at the same time, still obviously posting on social media to create that and continue that and get clients and show them that you know how to handle their biggest investments, right, which is a big deal, and being discreet because we know everybody's finances. So it's like kind of a big jumble. And it's almost like, do you, as you're continuing to curate a bunch of different avenues in your life, do you feel that you worry that certain things can come back to bite you that maybe you didn't think about as much?
Speaker 3: Then Oh, my gosh, absolutely, yeah, yes, yes, yes, I think this is a very like time honored story. Right. Everybody kind of has their story, especially if you've been in the public eye. And my days in the public eye started when I was thirty years old. I'm now forty almost forty one, and so yeah, I did stupid stuff when I was thirty that I wouldn't have done today, or maybe or I should say, in the throes of a contentious divorce that was well unfolding in the public eye. At the same time, I found out that my baby had cerebral palsy and COVID hit. So yeah, I'm gonna I think that it's suffice to say that one would probably make some decisions that they might not during a time like that.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like people give you grace on that or no?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think I was in such a tornado at the time I couldn't see my way out of it. Now, looking back, I think that people meaning that, like the fans who don't are people who don't know me.
Speaker 2: No, there was no grace. She's crazy.
Speaker 3: She's like, oh look at her spiraling, she's so pathetic or sad or drama she married him for the money, or she got this coming, whatever it is they want to say. But now I think it's it's like they can watch me and I either continue down whatever path that was, which was using the media to really try to vilify my ex husband at the time because I didn't know which way was up, and I regret doing that. I think it was messy and tacky, and I'm upset that I made those choices because now my children are going to see that one day, or they could if they want to search it. I will be honest with them. I knew at the time that they would see it one day, but I thought, you know, this is true, This is all true, and I'm gonna be able to have a strong relationship with my kids where I can explain that to them. Now, even with that clarity, I still regret it. But all I can do is change my approach going forward. But it doesn't really matter if all of it's in the past, it still comes back to haunt me. And that's just you know, the bed that I made, and no I'm laying in it.
Speaker 1: But here's the good news. As somebody who's been divorced longer than you and who's older than you is you're human. Lots of people go through very messy divorces that people love to tune into it, and I hear it all the time. So and so it is with the pickleball coach, this personette, whatever, they move on to their own step. At the end of the day, they're focused on themselves and other stories that's right. Come up, and you're right because you will have the relationship with your children. And you say, guys, it's painful getting divorced, and I hope that never happens to you. And we're all doing the best we can. But I love you with my entire heart, and I'm here and they'll be fine. Kids are resilient, period, right.
Speaker 3: And I just want to be authentic for them and say when I screw up, but yes, And I think we all kind of embrace those short sales or short news cycles and hope that you know, everything blows over and always does. It just takes a couple of days. But when stuff hits mainstream media like US Weekly, and it just it gets out of the blogs into the mainstream, that's when it starts to bother me. Because you're not just dealing with the people in their basements with their hand on their pants.
Speaker 2: Typing on Reddit all day long.
Speaker 3: These are professionals who are going to browse through headlines and they're going to see that US Weekly headlines. So that's when it really kind of starts to hit a little closer to home.
Speaker 1: I totally understand. Do you have people close to you that you feel support you that have gone through similar situations, Like if somebody else has walked your path, it feels like a safer kind of space that you feel supportive worre you know, instead of somebody who doesn't get it and you're like, you just don't get it, Like, do you feel like you've seen other people in these very similar toxic kind of situations.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think my own personal situation is so highly unique because of my exposure on the Housewives, being married to a professional athlete, and then the other you know, minutia that comes with the rest of my story. But I think that fame, and that's kind of the platform that I'm speaking to right now. I think that fame, money, influence good looks. I think that there's currency to all of those things as well. And so because of that and the perception of you know that, like fame is this elite person or money makes someone elite or whatever it is, how we perceive, you know, this currency that someone has a lot of. It's like we want to watch what it looks like to take them down. And so, yeah, I might not have the the like direct comparison to me, but I do have friends who have you know, a lot of money that people are trying to get to or take them down or create rumors about them or friends who you know are in politics or whatever. And so I think that we need to think about this issue, not even just you know, being a celebrity, but it's like sticking it to the proverbial man. And I represent as a celebrity some sort of proverbial man that people like to see fall on their on their knees, and because it kind of helps our simpletons feel better about themselves.
Speaker 1: But it's like the person who's driving and the you know, there's a car accident, everybody slows down to look. I mean, it's like it's sad that people want. People are envious, people are unhappy inherently right now, right, and people want to see beautiful, rich, successful people that were at the top of their game fall right, and also kind of normalizes their own experiences too. So yeah, it's it's like super super painful.
Speaker 3: I also think, Louise, that this is kind of like the modern day version of gladiators, like back in the Roman times, where it's just all these spectators gather around to watch a blood bath. It's not about what's fair or how they got there in the first place. It's not even that they even you don't even know if they want to be there. Like I think there are mostly like bad guys that were just like plucked out for people's entertainment. But I'm one of those gladiators right now. I'm just in a different arena and I never asked to be that gladiator. Somebody pulled me in there, and now I'm a spectacle and it does not matter how I get out of it, because it's not the truth that matters. It's the narrative that matters, and that's what the court of opinion will decide.
Speaker 1: And you have to You're going to continue to negate that narrative by people like your broker who supported you and didn't you know, read the article and subscribe to it. You're gonna do great work with your clients, and you're gonna build your people around you that you can trust, that know you, and.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, that's all you can do. I mean, it's difficult to not get angry in the in the meantime, you know, when you're building up that trust, like once again, back to the virtue of patients. It's been a huge challenge, but that's all that it is. And I told my kids that, you know, because as my children, my four sweet children, are products of this very contentious divorce between their parents. Sometimes they'll hear different things from different sides, and they'll say, well, somebody, you know, basically somebody's line. And I'll say to my children, listen, I'm telling you the truth, but there is no way that you can know that unless until time happens. So you're gonna so I'm gonna help you with this, and I'm gonna say, all right, this is what I said.
Speaker 2: Now let's wait till it happens. Blah blah, you know.
Speaker 3: And so I'm trying to teach them like that trust is built up over time, which is a sad lesson for seven and eight year.
Speaker 2: Old kids because they should always trust their parents.
Speaker 1: Do they go back and forth even lead to both houses?
Speaker 2: No, it's not no, it's not even no, it's.
Speaker 1: Not even okay, God, Yeah, well, I guess let's talk about what happens when you're in a contentious divorce and then there's new partners, because that brings a whole other kind of animal to it.
Speaker 3: I never knew what it would be, what it was like without a new partner, because I think it was like I think we'd been maybe split up, like two months, maybe less.
Speaker 2: I think it might have been less.
Speaker 3: It was okay, we split up the end of October twenty nineteen, and before twenty twenty hit he was living with his current.
Speaker 1: Well it's over it's overlap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's overlap.
Speaker 1: It's overlap, which makes it really hard then for the ex wife and the new woman to be on this same page.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't have a relationship with with his new wife, so that I don't know. I mean, I think it would be better for the kids if we did, but it's it could be worse. I suppose it.
Speaker 1: Well, the problem is that the kids are still young, right, So if there was the ability where everybody could be some sort of you know, modern family that can you know, do holidays together and trips and you know, sit at parent teacher conference is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that you don't have to answer this like who's the puppeteer in that relationship? Like who's who's perpetuating the drama that exists now between like you and her that's making it this way.
Speaker 3: I don't think there is drama between us I don't talk to her. I don't like, I don't know, Like, I don't think there is any there's nothing there, there's no relationship. It's like it's basically like I see a picture and she's a ghost, you know, it's to me kind of idea. I like. I like the role that she plays because she provides consistency for my children. She sounds like she's calm for the most part as far as like what my children say to me, and they like her, So I don't have any problem with her, Like any issues that she would have with me are secondary information. They're not you know, she hasn't derived her opinions about me directly from my relation our relationship. They're all third party opinions that she's taking a talk yeah yeah, pillow talk. So I don't but I don't know her and I don't try to know her. It's she's whatever to me, except that my kids like her, so that's fine, and she's not good.
Speaker 1: So what I what I appreciate from you, Megan, is you actually seem super neutral on it, right, which is really the best kind of place to be. So maybe do you think that there could be a world or what would it take for the situation between the two of you to be more comfortable.
Speaker 2: I guess between my ex and myself and.
Speaker 1: Like any even that, like after a contentious divorce, like is it time is like what is it? What do you think can eventually bring people back to you know, kind of a calm place where you just say, like, you're a dad, I'm the mom. These are Look, here's the thing with divorce people. You can get remarried. He can be remarried. Those three kids belong to the two of you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, do you think you seem like a girl's girl to me in the conversation of talking to Right, So it's important for women to support women, period, Okay, Right, So.
Speaker 1: It seems that a lot of times this is not the case. I've personally experienced this with people with my own friends, and it's like a heartbreak. Yes, why do you think it's important for women to support women? Would that create.
Speaker 3: I think that I think that, like basically, our culture has groomed us to think that the way that women communicate is negative or caddy or bad because women are emotional and they talk about what's going on more small talk than you know, broad talk like men would stereotypically be classified as I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think that water cooler conversation is some of the most important conversations in order to keep our communities safe and and like families, you know, up to date and knowledgeable. So having said that, fast forward, you know, past your water cooler days, and here we are today and we are trying we try to say, like, you know, gossip is bad, let's reframe that. Like if we can reframe gossip as being good, as being women helping one another, then we could be so much more powerful as a sex. And I think that you know, we're as women, we are more emotional, but we're all so much more peaceful. And I think we just want to love everyone more, so we feel more attached to any sort of you know, emotionally charged situation. So it can divide us in a lot of ways, but generally speaking, I think we're all talking about the same thing, and we're all the generally the underdog in the situation. Don't even get me started on family court with.
Speaker 1: That, you know, what's a good idea? Actually, just like there's life coaches, or there should be a divorce coach.
Speaker 3: I think there are Oh well.
Speaker 1: It's like there's rush, you know, somebody's going through rush. Like a divorce coach should almost be in contentious situations, should be mandated by the courts or the lawyers or something. I mean they have that our family wizard. Yeah, in terms of are you guys using that for that?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, oh just got two messages on it, Louise.
Speaker 1: Paper trail is so important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it doesn't seem like anybody cares though, well they don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's so true, but a divorce coach would be so good in terms of kind of navigating and.
Speaker 2: And what to say. I think language is so important.
Speaker 3: Like there's certain like like trigger words that I think the courts hate hearing, which are alienation narcissists. You know, they hate those words. But if you can describe the behaviors, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's it's true. Do you find that it sounds like in your situation because it's content or maybe not whatever? Are you are your two household? It doesn't sound like you guys are on the same parenting page, right, So there's a lot of kind of re entry, right, so they come your house, there's like major unwinding of kind of an unpacking of that and that house, and then you've got to read bulls to them, to you and yours and probably right or true, and then they go back and it's this like repeat thing of Groundhog's Day, which is so hard to do. It's hard for these kids.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, well, you have to understand, I was a stepmom before I was a biological mother, and so I saw this this you know, game being played by this this dance, if you will, between the houses. I had that with my step kids, and those two households were much more on the same page than mine is. But I wouldn't go to great lengths to say that it was on the same page. But I just think that's like, I think it's easy to say, Okay, if we were on the same page, there would be easy re entry. But I don't agree with that. I think the re entry is going to be tough no matter the situation. Children thrive on routine, and switching houses is not routine. This is not how it was meant to be done. And so pointing fingers at are ex's is so easy to do, but really just sucks.
Speaker 1: Divorce sucks, and the people who get hurt are the kids? Yep? Are you a product divorce?
Speaker 3: No, My parents have been married fifty years in May.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up in the Midwest?
Speaker 3: Yep. Born and raised Saint Louis, Missouri, oldest of four kids, Irish Catholic. My parents are so in love, my dad writes, my mom loves notes that I'll find. My mom was over at my house last night, just hanging out with me and my kids, and my dad just drove by and popped out, kicked the soccer ball with the kids. I'm talking Americana right here. I grew up in a really great way. I couldn't have written the script better myself, and kind of think it hit me up, honestly because I thought that that's what I was going to get, and the boy was I in for surprise.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's interesting because I'm a product of a tough divorce and I made bad choices, my sister, I mean, just whatever relationship choices.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course. And you know I can kind of under I know what my baggage is right now after this many years of doing it, like I understand where it comes from. Super hard to unwind it at.
Speaker 3: Fifty totally.
Speaker 1: More clarity though, Yes, but we have default behaviors. It's very hard I see, yes, right. But it's funny because a very few people where I live in Los Angeles, most people are divorced, and I can count on one hand of my big group of friends two couples that I think are genuinely happy, okay, And it's interesting to really kind of take stock of whose parents are still married and in love and the environment that they grew up in. And I would say most of the happily married people are the ones that grew up in that environment because that example was healthy and so it continued.
Speaker 3: It didn't occur to me that there's bad people in the world because the only thing that occurred to me was that people show up authentically in relationship, especially you know, a partnership. And when that didn't happen, that was just mind boggling for me. But I thought I had this great family that could fix him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I saw that his childhood was more challenging than mine. My heart goes out to anyone with those any challenges in childhood. It's not your fault. And I would never.
Speaker 2: Blame him for the way he was raised. Or how that painted him.
Speaker 3: But he's a grown up now, and so if he's not able to overcome, like you said, even those patterns are hard to overcome. But you're a grown up now and it's up to you, you know, to decide if you're going to let that shape you or not. Now, I thought that all he needed was, oh, here's a stable family, and here's good people, and here's Sunday dinners.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's nice.
Speaker 1: That's his childhood wounds in all of his baggage set. But you know, to your point, like such, when people choose to have children and there's eyes on us at all times, like we don't want to continue to perpetuate the cycle. Right, So it's almost like, okay, so maybe he didn't get off scott free, or you didn't get it off scott free, or I didn't, but like you know, the onus is on us to try to do it differently, for them to see it differently, right, So you know, hopefully he'll get there to do that with you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I'm on my own journey as well.
Speaker 3: You know, this is not what I thought my life would look like as a mother and at all, and this is not the type of mother I thought I would be. I think I thought I would be a lot better mom. I have a lot of stress taking up my time and energy, like lawsuit with my ex being a major one, and I can't like, once again, I can't just point the finger at my ex saying like you drew me in a lawsuit or whatever. I'm still there, you know, like I'm still in it as well, and I have to be able to prioritize my values in order to give my kids the best chance. And hopefully I'm not totally poking them up.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think you are, because I think what they're seeing is a real vulnerability. You know, they'll listen to this, They'll they know who you are. They can look in your eyes. You have kind eyes. They're also around your parents, and they're around that unit, so as much as maybe they're feeling that kind of family love, devotion and all of that. So I do think that it takes a village, and I think you have a village. You're not alone on that No, it might be on purely on one side of the fence, because you're not there in conjunction with your ex husband, but you have a lot of people they are loving and supporting to lead by example.
Speaker 3: And I think that's huge and that is a system that I put in place that I'm proud of myself that I did for my children because I think there's you know, a lot of different factors that go into created in person and who they turn out to be. And you hear these miraculous stories of these kids with horrible childhoods who turn out to do great things in life, and they're quote unquote miraculous stories, but I disagree. I don't think they're miraculous because the common denominator and all of those success stories are these children were surrounded by community with good positive examples. And so when these kids didn't have you know, their buckets filled at home, they could find it within the community that they were surrounded by. And I have at least been able to provide that for my children. So if I took up in all the ways, and their dad's up in all the ways, hopefully their community can carry them through. So at least I got that right.
Speaker 1: And you know, don't, Megan, don't underestimate what you're showing them by getting a career working being a strong woman, like I will tell you. My kids have watched it and as they went to college, they really commented on that. So you're setting an incredible example to your child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I am. I hear them talk about it. They're very proud of me. They like to talk about how I'm a realtor and I've taken them to houses and they like to talk about how they went to work with mommy, and they are proud. It's really cool to see. And it's not just the work, but I think it's just something that they like to see that their mom is doing things that that like are outside just the norm of.
Speaker 1: You're doing something for yourself and you're making a difference. And I think it's a really good example. But just wait till you start taking them to listings of yours that are not within your reach to buy. That happened my kids like why do we live here? I'm like, not in mom's wheelhouse. Sorry. Home is the people, not the structure.
Speaker 3: My eggs had, you know, this massive, massive, massive, twenty thousand square foot home and I don't. And so my kids would used to say to me, well, why don't we have a bowling now in the basement? Mom? But when down there why don't we have many golfer a slide or in a pool, And and so I'm used to that, which is my kids are used to that. But you know what, my daughter and my kids, they feel the energy. And one of my favorite stories, my daughter's friend's parents just got separated and the mom moved from a nice house to a little, you know, two bedroom house, and my daughter, Aspen was picked up from her dad's house or is twenty thousand square foot brand new, we're just mansion, and to go to this girl's house. And she said this. Mom told me that my daughter Aspen walks in and goes into this little girl's room and says, oh my gosh, this is the coolest room I've ever seen. I wish my room looked like this, and she meant it.
Speaker 2: It's she truly did.
Speaker 3: And the mom told me that she started to cry so like it's that means the world to me. That tells me right there that I'm doing something.
Speaker 1: Okay, I always lived in a smaller house and place than my ex husband did, and I didn't quite have the access and the perks and the trips and the I mean I really and it was hard for me at times like I kind of felt less than.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 1: I said to my kids one day and I said, look, and I've always taught them this, and I actually hear them repeating it, so I know they're absorbing it. So this is a good one for you to remember. Okay, right, OM is the people. It's not the structure that's cute. That's great, and they have learned it, and I, over the years have felt badly when I can't, you know, take them to Japan and get them, you know, floor ceasier, and I feel kind of like I suck, I'm a loser. And they have said to me, Mom, we love you for you and we're proud of you. And it doesn't that it does. And I really believe it, I really really and my kids are in their twenties.
Speaker 3: They do believe it because it's true. And I can't do those things for my kids either, but I'm proud of what I can do. I couldn't take my daughter to Portugal to Lisbon to go see Taylor Swift this year with VIPs, but you know what I could do.
Speaker 2: I took her to the.
Speaker 3: Outskirts of Saint Louis and I took her to a Taylor Swift cover band during the Era's tour, you know, and she had a blast. And it's like it's it's just I think so much about the effort and curating an experience and the time together that.
Speaker 1: I think it's the time. I think it's the time.
Speaker 3: So much more important than anything else, you know. And I can't afford vacation, crazy elaborate vacations. But I can't afford to spend money on myself. Was credit card and get some points and buy tickets for my kids. You know, I am.
Speaker 1: Scrapped, Darlin, I'm kidding, are you?
Speaker 3: I'm both? Actually? Yeah, I do whatever I can and I get and I get creative with it and scrappy with it. And I'm proud of myself and I hope I know my kids see the work that I put into it.
Speaker 1: So here's another really good thing. And it's something I started to do. And again, your kids sound old enough to start doing it. A couple of things. First of all, I would sit at the dinner table and we I don't think. I don't know if your kids have phones yet. Usually kids would divorce do because.
Speaker 2: They have like iPads. But I don't have phone numbers for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you sit at the table without devices. Okay, I got it, and you will be shocked at how observant and smart kids are at different ages and start asking open ended questions things like this. If you were to describe mom and dad separately in three words good or bad to people who don't know them, what would you say?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's cute.
Speaker 1: You will be shocked by the answer because they get it. Okay, and never one What is your happiest memory to date? I mean, there's so many questions, and I can send you where I got most of them. But there's an app you can download called Wholesome holsom and it has all types of categories of open ended questions, whether it's for kids of this age, or relationships or humor. And it makes the conversation at the dinner table more connected, more textured, and more memorable. And it's going to bring you, guys, really closer, and I get it's going to show your depth, and it's going to show you it's going to allow you to show them who you are because you're going to answer the same questions. And it's also going to allow them to feel comfort to have real conversations with you, and then you're going to eliminate the surface, like how was school today good? Did you write your friends or Dick?
Speaker 3: I forgot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it just makes for a really great, really good And then the other thing I always did too, which was important, was to sounds stupid, but you know everywhere we went, whether it was at night after I made them. My kids were third and fifth grade, they were young like yours, and I had each kid pick a TV show that they were going to watch with me, and then when they went to dad's house they couldn't watch it, and then they would come back and it would be our time together the show. And then the other thing is Rummy Cube. I don't know if you play a game with the kids. We do, okay, So Rubny Cube was like it was easy, it was you know, you could take it on trips, you could play it at home, and it was just time spent together to build the foundation. Because when they get older, they kind of go out and they're living their lives, which is what you want. You want them to launch.
Speaker 3: We do. I feel like we do the game Sorry Uno and Monopoly on repeat. We constantly have a family puzzle out, so everybody has the role, you know, and we all sit there whenever, you know, to do the family puzzle and our but our favorite thing to do together as a family is hop on our golf cart and every Sunday we take the cardboard to the recycling center, which is in our little downtown. Yeah. So like we do. I really try to do like the absolute most that I can for my children, and I love it and they have we have these traditions together that they'll always remember, you know.
Speaker 1: But that's my point. It doesn't matter we ride our.
Speaker 3: Bikes into the farmer's market and they you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It's the time spent and the activity and the memory. It's not the you know, whipping on a private plane.
Speaker 3: And no whatever, which is cool too, by the way, which is really cool too.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna get from mama.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, honestly, what's more important is the small things and finding joy and appreciation and value in the small things period. And you're doing that, and you're also showing them community service too, which is giving back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, it is, and being an active member of the community. We go to the local performing arts center, we're involved in the community center. I do all the things. I'm such a Midwest mom and like, this is how I was raised and I'm doing the same thing for my kids. But I think my first, So my first, I'm forty one, almost forty one. I'll at least live to be eighty. So I have you, know less.
Speaker 1: Than half fill twenty five?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so holy seventy five more years? Then?
Speaker 1: All right, so I have you for a few more minutes. I'm just gonna ask a couple more things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So house wives fans, Well, first of all, is there anything else now that you have this floor in this platform that you want to say to address any of the stuff that's kind of recently been out there, you know, kind of this is your time to just hit it home one more time, or do you feel like you've got out what you wanted to say?
Speaker 3: What I want to say is just super high level and it's not in the weeds with me specifically. I'm so over being in the press and the drama that relates to me specifically. I think that I'm here for like to try to give voice to a bigger message here that celebrity is more accessible than ever with the advent, and like proliferation of reality television, and so it's easy, it's easier than ever to consume media and to also use media to villainize others. And I think that it's just important to be mindful as we scroll through our phones that of the repercussions that can be held on these individuals.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Housewive fans have been wanting you to come back to the OC franchise.
Speaker 3: They have recently.
Speaker 1: Your former cast member Vicky, who isn't even on the show anymore, said no when a fan suggested that you come back, Soper off, How does that comment make you feel? And I don't know, do you see you don't live there anymore? But would you ever go back if they offered? Or are you pretty set being back with your family doing real estate, being around the Midwest values none of that kind of you know, flashy glamorama type stuff and like hunkering down. Is it a different stage of your life or does that calling still kind.
Speaker 2: Of I'm into all of that.
Speaker 3: It's just like on a more adult level, if you will, I not missed thirty year old level. I told Alex Baskin, he's one of the executive producers that I'm open.
Speaker 2: I would be interested in being a friend.
Speaker 3: I told, oh, and I'm friends with I'm friends with Tracy Tudor, I'm friends with She's she's a real estate agent on TV Million Dollars Listening, and then so and I'm friends with Jeff Lewis, who's also in real estate. So I think it would be fun to do real estate in California, but I don't have my license. I mean it's a pipe dream, you know. It's kind of like playing in house in my head.
Speaker 2: But yeah, i'd go back.
Speaker 1: You would do a real estate show, but maybe not a housewive back to that whole.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I want to be like on for my life as much, but I would like to be a friend that they don't really like dig into your life as a friend.
Speaker 2: I got it Vicky Is.
Speaker 3: I thought it was funny that she even responded to that, because like, Vicky doesn't give a fuck about me. I can promise you that I don't know about her, and so it's funny that like it's still this beef is still out there. I think it's kind of cute.
Speaker 1: It's cute, and I think it's also people's way of still kind of being like relevant.
Speaker 3: In the mix. Yeah, right, we look, we're talking about it.
Speaker 1: We're talking about it. So yeah, it's kind of like I would teach my kids, like even if somebody's talking, they're talking about you, it means you matter. It's true, right, if people aren't talking about you, then like you're irrelevant. Well, Megan, thank you so much for the honest thanks. I know many of us you have gone through divorce. They're going through divorce. Many of my friends are family members, very relatable, and each time I tell my kids people we know are getting divorced, they look at me like this, doesn't everyone get divorced. So I've got a lot to unwind there. So maybe I'm gonna ship them to the Midwest and they'd have a better opportunity. Anyways, if you're going through a difficult divorce and feel like you aren't moving in a positive direction or you need some help, call us or email us all the infos in the show notes, follow us on socials, and make sure to rate and review the podcast. I do Part two an iHeartRadio podcast where falling in love is the main objective. And let's hope your chapter two and my chapter two are like better and they're.
Speaker 3: Moving on right into the sunset.
Speaker 1: Gotcha all right, Take care, Thanks BYEEE