Speaker 1: Okay, so we're watching all of the Disney Channel original movies we can find. Yeah, and there is a real normally I ask you some random question now, like hey, when's last time you went on a roller coaster? I don't have it in me today. I don't have it in it. The one thing I do I did notice there is at least so we've talked about the number of different versions of dcom's back even during the zoog days, and like early early stuff. You know, a lot of people say that officially DCOM started in nineteen ninety seven, but there was a long list of stuff beforehand that could be considered or would have been considered a DCOM if such a thing had existed. But there's a real old jump around the two thousand, two thousand and one, two thousand and two era of just changing what the DCOM was. Because the one we watched this week, I don't even really know what to think or say.
Speaker 2: Frankly, yes, I am also a little lost for words, to be honest, because it is it. It had one of the channel's major stars in it, so like there was a big like she was one of the it girls on the channel at that time. So it's not that it did. Yes, Courtney Draper, Yes, she was on that show. We've talked about it called the Jersey which they put on, Yeah, put on like a magic It's a jersey that's like magical and they become like a part. And that show was huge, like huge it was, and it was so good. It was one of my favorites. I really loved it. And it's kind of like the storyline of this one. It's not just like a micro world. It's like out of this world, like I don't know, and not.
Speaker 1: Even kind of in a clever way. I don't know. Well, I guess, yeah, we just I guess. Let's just get, let's get let's just chang into it and let's get let's just do it. Let's just jump.
Speaker 2: Somebody. I don't know, let's just go.
Speaker 1: Well we got this. Welcome back to Magical. Rewind the show that makes you want to go have your friends, your PJS and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves tsunamis, and not all the movies were this one.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilfredell and I'm Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: Okay, So every few decades a film comes along that not only wow's audiences, it defines a generation. And this week we approach one of those films, It's time to Talk. Two thousand's Stepsister from Planet Weird and of course being facetious. It debuted on June seventeenth, in the year two thousand, a film drenched in y two K optimistic fear, and it's based on the book of the same name by children's librarian turned author Francis Lance. Lance wrote over thirty books, many kids' best sellers, but she might be best known for the Luna Bay Monthly book series, made in collaboration with HarperCollins and Roxy. The California clothing company, Yes a clothing company. It was a surf clothing company, I believe, Yes, a California surf clothing company. She was a surfer herself who lived in Santa Barbara, so she was perfect fit for the theme. And in the original Stepsisters from Planet Weird book, surfing was included and it was obviously switched out for windsurfing because well, we'll get to that. Sadly, Lance passed away in nineteen ninety nine from ovarian cancer at the very young age of fifty two. Stepsister from Planet Weird was filmed in Australia, a recent trend we've been running into, but still part of the exclusive club of dcom's filmed outside of the US, and the movie was greenlit by Disney and boy did a show just three weeks before shooting began, putting the cast and crew on quite a tight timeline and maybe, you know, causing some plot holes and stuff. All right, okay, all right, now, this is the first time we run into this, and I am beyond skeptical that this is true. But in twenty seventeen, cabletv dot Com analyzed the entire dcom catalog at the time and utilize Google trends to figure out the most popular dcoms per state. Yes, that's a thing, and Stepsister from Planet Weird was the most popular film in Pennsylvania. Again, I don't believe this at all, but here are some of the other results from the poll that they conducted in case you're wondering. Nevada Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire was their favorite. Hawaii Come On, Easy One, Johnny Tsunami, New York was Get It Right, New York was Get a Clue? Oregon Halloween Town High makes sense Utah High School musical makes sense, and California was one called the Jenny Project or the Genie Project, Jenny Project, which Jenny. We don't know that one yet. Okay, Well, no matter what state you live in, even if you were fraudulently told it was your favorite movie in penns Calvania, no matter where you live, you can watch Stepsister from Planet Weird on Disney Plus. It was actually part of their launch package and you can launch into it right now if you want, or you can listen to us and then see what we got right and what we got wrong. But either way, we suggest you continue with caution and only under adult supervision. Sabrina, before it was said as a podcast episode, did you know anything about Stepsisters from Planet Weird?
Speaker 2: I didn't. I did not know anything about this one, this Stepsister.
Speaker 1: I'm not even getting the title right yet. That's how that's what I thought of it. Okay, Stepsister from Planet Weird. Sorry, so you did not?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. And this is like around the time, like I said, I was auditioning a lot for Disney Channel stuff, so I was watching the channel a lot, and I don't know if maybe this one wasn't one that was put on replay, like like the majority of them were at the time, you know, just except in Pennsylvania, except I guess maybe in Pennsylvania. Yeah, so this never came across my my TV box with my antennis.
Speaker 1: I'm not even an answer the question. I am too. I can't even answer it if I this or not. Of course I didn't know what this was. Now keep away from wind and drink some roop beer because it's time for the synopsis. When teenager Megan's mom gets engaged, her new soon to be stepsister, Ariel turns out to be a bubble based alien refugee hiding on planet Earth. It's directed by Steve Boyam, a legendary name here on Magical Rewind since he's the director of some iconic dcoms. Of course, he's not Daddy Owen, but the ones he's done include Johnny Tsunami, Motorcross, and a movie that's actually very similar to this one, Mom's Got a Date with the Vampires. Did you notice kind of the similarities between the films a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, it wasn't surprising to find that not but not Johnny Tsunami or different Mom's Got a date with the Vampire. Yeah, I saw some similarities for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it makes sense because he did Stepsister and Mom's Got a Date back to back in the same year.
Speaker 2: Wow, so this was you.
Speaker 1: Remember us talking about him. He's kind of a legend in the world here, especially of dcoms, because he was a stuntman turned director early, having worked on Apocalypse Now, Predator, True Romance, and Groundhog's Day. Before moving behind the camera, I'm having s's to the thing. I think it's just Groundhog Day. I don't know, before moving the camera. He also directed the movie You, Me and Dupree and now works in TV shows like The Boys, Goosebumps, Supernatural and Criminal Minds and The Cast. Okay, we have a truly kind of incredible group of actors who are just a little too old to be playing high schoolers, but great. Nonetheless, we've got Courtney Draper as you were talking about as Meg Larson. Courtney is best known to us as Sam the Mermaid from the d com The Thirteenth Year, the Barbotsville movie. We always talk about. That's Hall of Fame status right there on its own, but she also appeared in almost one hundred episodes of Bold and The Beautiful. So she was on Bold and Back.
Speaker 2: That's where we worked together.
Speaker 1: Well, oh you worked with her, Okay.
Speaker 2: There you go, yes, on and on the jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's right. And I was gonna say, and she's on the jersey. But also in Buffy the Vampire Slayer CSI Miami Veronica and she has since become an always working voiceover actor in video games like Kingdom Hearts, I was in that, BioShock Infinite and Final Fantasy. Sevin and Tamara Hope plays Aerial Cola. The Canadian actress has been seen in movies like Crimson Peak and Shall We Dance? And TV shows like Murdoch Mysteries and The Transporter. She is a singer as well, and in the band Bruce Peninsula and her own project, The Weather Station, which just sounds like a great band. And then we've got Lance's guest and he's portraying a brand new nominee for best decom character name of all time. It's It's Cosmo Cola. Lance is best known as Yes, one of the greatest films in the history of the world, ever, ever, ever, and one of the most important movies in my life. He played Alex Rogan in the nineteen eighty four cult classic The Last star Fighter. If you haven't seen it, we Cannot be Friends, as well as Halloween two and Jaws The Revenge. Okay, fun fact Sabrina, Uh huh. The actual tagline and this is where I get it from from Jaws The Revenge was Jaws The Revenge. This time it's person Oh is it really actually the family down to the Bahamas to attack them because it killed their mom? Not even joking.
Speaker 2: Wait, this is the sequel to Jaws.
Speaker 1: This is just Jaws the Revenge. It's like the third one, the one that was three D. This time it's personal. This time where it comes from?
Speaker 2: Thank you? I love okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Now where do we think Cosmo Cola sits on the ranking of craziest character names? Where where is he in the Jackal Johnson verse?
Speaker 2: I mean it did, It didn't strike. I mean it just obviously was a weird name. But because they were portraying aliens, it didn't like it wasn't like Jackal Johnson was supposed to be like a real person.
Speaker 1: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, Cosmic Cola was just kind of like a silly name. Of you know, like what you would think, like someone would bring into you know, not being a part of the this.
Speaker 1: World, right, And I'm guessing there was some scene somewhere in the book or somewhere where when they first land on Earth he sees a cola machine or something like that.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that would make sense totally. Yeah, especially because Rupier is such a big thing. And yes, and they does such a big thing with any.
Speaker 1: The co two and all that stuff. Yeah, and we've got Christine Hay as the mom Kathy Larson. Christine is best known as Simon Foster on Head of the Class, but also appeared in shows like Law and Order, Bull and Parker Lewis Can't Lose. She's also, it says here, an Emmy winning environmentalist. And my question is, how does one win an Emmy for environmentalism?
Speaker 2: Did she do some kind of documentary?
Speaker 1: Would she have one in the one in an Emmy for being a documentarian, not for being an environment Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's so there's so many categories at the Emmys that don't hit the air, like I mean, it's like, I don't know, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I wasn't on camera at all last year and somehow won two Emmys, So everybody's getting stuff. Kid didn't Could you really believe it?
Speaker 2: Come on you winning em Absolutely, I would totally believe that.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, No, they kicked me out of the building. I don't want to know me anyway. They're not filled with chocolate. I found that out. And let's talk run time. Stepsister from Planet Weird clocks in at drum roll, please, but make it a quick one eighty five minutes. Ah, music to my ears. Though it is five minutes off the target, it's off the target in the right direction. So yes, it passes our test with flying colors staying under ninety and history. Well, thank you. And if there's any movie that I'm glad it was short, it was this one.
Speaker 2: I paused it at some point I only had fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Ye, yes, yes, I'm almost done. Oh my. Rounding out the cast, we have Miles Jeffrey is Trevor Larson. He is also in another dcom that we've watched again. We just spoke about Mom's Got a Date with the Vampire, directed by the same guy as this movie, and he starred in fifteen episodes of Beverly Hills nine two or zero and then round and everything out. We've got Lauren Maltby, who's Heather Hartman. She's best known in our world as Marge in all three of the Xenon movies. So a low key Disney legend right there. Now. The writing credits are pretty straightforward. We have the book's author, Francis Lance, getting an acknowledgment for characters and story, but the teleplay is credited to Chris Matheson, who's a bit of a legend when it comes to eighties and nineties movies. His first script ever was the nineteen eighty nine classic Bill and Ted's excellent adventure Great Man, your first ever film, and you go on to write the sequels, Bogus Journey and Bill and Ted Face the Music, Bill A. Ted's Bogus Journey is way funnier than it has any right to be. And the rest of his resume includes Banger after Banger, Mom and Dad Saved the World, Love It, The Ellen degenerous rom com Mister Wrong, and a Disney classic A Goofy movie. So it's safe to say that this movie is not his best. Okay, let's chill out in the Sink and Pine over finuwel we need to getting a stepsister from planet weird right now. We open up with some fast pumping dance music, only interrupted by a girl's voice that sternly announces wind. There's nothing else like it. Keep wind in mind because it's mentioned an awful lot. And you know what, She's right. It's one of our co leads, Megan writing in her diary. We see some windsurfer shredding waves, reminded by our narrator that this is extreme, another word that comes up over and over and over again in this movie. It's Megan on the board, or more specifically, her stunt double, and we go close up on her face a few times to pretend it's possible the actress is actually cruising this fast on a windsurf machine. What is it? Windsurfer board?
Speaker 2: One's actually the few water sports I've never done was windsurfing, and it looks inredibly hard.
Speaker 1: I tried it once when I was young, and like, even just lifting up the damn sail was a little bit heavy. So but you know what, I am good at one thing, and very good at one thing, and that's quitting when things are hard. So I never again very good at that and there's guys and you didn't but.
Speaker 2: You didn't quit on this movie.
Speaker 1: No, I just had to watch it in ninety second chunks. It took me two weeks. And there's there's then guy surfer Cutter, someone Meghan seems very impressed by, but I'm frankly not impressed because while show voting, he wipes out and Meghan has to save him. Once resituated back on the board, we get a surreal back and forth between Cutter and Meghan. He tells her that she quote flatly rules unquote and asks if she'll be his girlfriend. She says yes, and then her parents are just there, creepily standing nearby in the ocean. They announced they're getting back together. Then her redheaded little brother, Trevor, he pops up and says he's never gonna act like a freak again. Then, as if that wasn't enough, the prettiest girls in school appear. Heather Hartman They're a leader, welcomes Meghan into the popular group. Then we hear a smattering of applause because Meghan is actually asleep. This is all in a dream. Trevor rushes into the bedroom, yelling die elly and die okay, But movie just started. The siblings walk downstairs together talking about men in black and getting jiggy with it, so we know exactly what time this took place, and Megan remembers when they're all together. We are then transported to an old beach vacation. It seems her dad, even back then, was always on the phone, busy with work, and that's the reason her parents split up. And this guy was comically on his phone all the time, where it's like, really, you're gonna sit in your car all beach day and be It's like, I get they're trying to show that he works a lot, but it was it was a bit too much sad, I know, but it was also like, come on, no nobody does that to that extent. But anyway, my.
Speaker 2: Dad was a real estate agent, and I feel like there were so many times where he had to Like calls would happen middle of anything we were doing, and we're like, h can't you just put it on silent, like getting so annoyed with it, but but he can't.
Speaker 1: Can't do it. However, Megan's mom, Kathy, seems pretty great. She's a little distracted since her husband left, but no one's really blaming her. She serves soup and crackers for breakfast, which of course is a negative. But she loves windsurfing and even owns a little windsurfing store, which is a major positive. But I assume this place doesn't make her a ton of money. And she's dated a little, but nothing's worked out. That's Kathy's life in a nutshell. We've wrapped it all up and now it's cool. Megan is not in the popular group, but she was for one week last year because she lied and said she was related to Jewel. Okay, interesting, but when they found out she wasn't, she got kicked out. But Megan's friend is Michelle or Mickey, someone nerdy that she can talk superpowers with, who is kind of in this movie but not really in this movie. It was, yeah, they needed to give her someone to talk to you before they could introduce her. Yeah, they then want this character in.
Speaker 2: But it was I know, and she was like a pretty good friend, Like she was straightforward, she was you know what I mean. She was like a good friend for her to have. It's sad that they didn't like continue like that would have been really funny for her to like meet Ariel and also.
Speaker 1: Know something at the wedding at the end, and she just kind of wasn't there. Yeah, that was it. But Megan does want to be in the popular group just so she can be with Cutter, the most extreme boy in school. She thinks he's rad, but he's also a total Dodo brain. And this is also when we realize they cannot hide that they're filming in Australia. Everyone is either painfully hiding their accent or just letting it fly for no real reason. Megan says Cutter doesn't even know she exists, but he does win surf and visit her mom's store where she works. Again, he's really really stupid. There were times it was funny and times it was like, dude, this is kind of painful to watch.
Speaker 2: Remember, and it made me think of our interview with Joey Lawrence talking about like the like the cool guy kind of somewhat having.
Speaker 1: To be.
Speaker 2: Like ditzy ish or something, you know, but like but very and I was kind of like, this is just taking that, Like that made sense that interview did so much, but this is like, holy but the.
Speaker 1: Cue the cute guy. That the cute guy. He's kind of the antagonists are supposed to be the antagonist in in Team Beach two. Cute guy, super smart. Yeah, so it's yeah, it's like, why not do that? But no, they made this guy, Like how anybody would like this guy? Even?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. That was the thing, like, how is she have such a big crush on this guy? Guy? Goob yeah, goobe gooob.
Speaker 1: Also things have been changing. We come to find out Kathy has met a man, a man named Cosmo Cola. Trevor heard the name and immediately says he sounds like an alien from space, which again is quite a revelation this early in the movie. It's like the opposite of an m Night Shamalan movie. Kathy met Cosmo while windsurfing. He was yelling at her from the beach and eventually just sprinted into the water to save her from drowning in the waves. But she wasn't drowning at all. Kathy was just riding the wind, the definition of windsurfing. But they ended up talking for hours and she loves his childlike qualities. She says he's from Canada, and let's be honest, a lot of people do mix up Canadians and alien So that tracks that was for all our Canadian listeners. I'm kidding, I love you all up there. You know what, boy, you know everything that I'm a boot, She says he's specifically from the Yukon that We then cut to a picture of yukonzo population low, which Meghan recognizes as an inhabitable missile range. We also find out this Cosmo character also has a daughter named Ariel. She's fourteen, the same age as Meghan. Then we get a montage, and you know, I love a montage of successful dates for Kathy and Cosmo. Megan always starts at home and plays her guitar, but she won't let anyone listen to her music. I also thought this was gonna be a much bigger part of the story, and then wasn't. And eventually the big night arrives, where everyone's finally going to meet Kathy, her kids, Cosmo and his daughter plan on having dinner together, and Cosmo has requested hot dogs. I like him already. I love a good hot dog. Kathy tells Megan it would mean a lot to her if she just tried to be nice for one night, because Cosmo makes her happy and he deserves a chance. Meghan promises that if her mom likes him, she'll probably like him too. It's very nice. And then the Nobel rings boom. It's Cosmo totally shot out of a cannon. He's screaming excitement and spinning Megan all around. Quite a first impression. Meghan says it was worse than she could ever have imagined. Trevor rushes up with his laser gun, asking Cosmo if he's a good alien or a bad alien. He answers earnestly good but sometimes bad. Wrestles the boy to the ground. He explains that his daughter's is still out by the car because she doesn't like the wind quote unquote weird. Trevor keeps talking about aliens. Actually, he is yet to have a line in the movie that doesn't involve accusing her mom's new boyfriend of being an alien or talking about aliens or being aliens. And by the way, he's right, he should work for our government. Kathy volunteers Megan to go find Ariel, and when she's outside, she can't find her, but she does see some footprints, only to find Ariel laying under the car. And that's when we enter a very fast rewind seeing everything we've seen so far in the movie passed by quickly. We hear a new narrator. It's Ariel now talking to her diary. She says she just doesn't understand Earth, and then we're in her bedroom. She summons holograms with her hands and talks about how grotesque she feels in her new body. She also reveals that she has the same dream every night. She's back on her home planet of Zirkolon, and once again a beautiful pink ball of gas floating next to her family and boyfriend, a boy named Finul. She misses her true self an essence. This is when I was like, it is looking down at the water. I was sipping, like who puts something in this? Because man, it was weird. But anyway, she understands.
Speaker 2: I did think the hologram part was cool.
Speaker 1: The hologram diary from her hand was great.
Speaker 2: That was really a cool thing. I was like, oh, okay, and wow, that looks pretty good too.
Speaker 1: I thought the same thing. And then we went to the planet circle on.
Speaker 2: And she's as a bubble.
Speaker 1: It's such a weird thing.
Speaker 2: Again. You're with the face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're making I get you're making up aliens and they have to be different. But it was so strange.
Speaker 2: It's like a face looks like a bloated glove. It's like, yeah, like get their gas bubbles. I went, oh no, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Kind of did too. It's like, what's what's happening? When I pause?
Speaker 2: How much longer?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I was just like Susan, whatever I took, it's kicking in. So this though, this is where she understands, or we find out that she understands that she had to leave because her dad was a freedom fighter and his life was in danger. We get some very early computer graphics here as we see the alien planet and some of its fighter jets. It's not Tron, obviously, but it's not I mean, I guess it's not.
Speaker 2: It was, Yeah, it was not. And the idea of like freedom fighter that kind of eyes kind of like all right, okay, yeah, the world we can look past the bubble, yep.
Speaker 1: But looking past the bubble was a tough thing to do. Ariel. Ariel just never expected she had to leave her planet. So suddenly she tells the story of her mother's pink gas orb that was shot out of the sky by the enemies and the rest of her family barely escaped to Earth. She does admit that Earth has an abundance of the one substance or specie needs, which is carbon dioxide. She takes a drink of soda, forcing her to speaking about gyrer alien lice, but now she wants to.
Speaker 2: She's like that alien.
Speaker 1: She takes a drink of soda, forcing her to smoke, but now she wants to know more about Earth, so she turned to her neighbor, a major cat lady psychic named Serena Sue. Serena is a yoga teacher type who says she knows that Ariel is different because she doesn't feel like she belongs there. Serena thinks that a past life, Ariel was a cow hand who was crushed by a cow. But none of this matters anyway. Ariel believes her life has been overrun by dreariness and dread. And on that note, we're in the Cola family's new home and it looks like a fourth grader designed it. There's a little rocket ride at barber's chair, a Knight's armor Cosmo is painting a frame around a mirror. It's like they're supposed to be very childlike. Ariel just doesn't want to be there and Cosmo admits he misses their home too. He wishes he was floating around as gas expanding in the heat. Ariel asks why they can't just go home then, so Cosmo reminds her he'd be in prison forever in a frozen cube. They're on Earth to escape and take advantage of the wonderful possibilities like becoming a ventriloquist. I'm not making any of this up. People, if you're listening along and haven't seen the movie, I'm not just throwing out words. This is what's happening. This is the movie we're walking through. Okay, not making this like.
Speaker 2: He literally brought out the doll and act quickly.
Speaker 1: But about this part of the movie, I was like, you know.
Speaker 2: It's a random throne.
Speaker 1: Like it's like, seriously, no, no joke. At this point of the movie, I was like, huh, you know, it's not a bad movie, double teamed. So it's like, I gotta watch that again. So while Ariel complains Cosmo is selling diamonds online, a mineral that is apparently abundant back home and worth a ton on Earth, is he getting shipments of diamonds? Did he when he had to flee last minute did he also happen to have hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars worth of diamonds on him? Because I don't I don't know how he's getting I maybe there's still some connection to the planet, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Yes, I don't know where they come from. I don't know if this is if this is Disney doing it again and making the diamonds that you can get now that aren't like I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: The zirkulon diamonds. How is he getting them? Did he flee with these circle lot diamonds? How do you know they'd be worth money on Earth if they were, if they're that abundant in his planet? So many questions. So yes, it's and.
Speaker 2: Just and it also never comes back now.
Speaker 1: That there are parents parent millionaires.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, they're like they have like just millions of dollars and it just like never comes back.
Speaker 1: Ariel herself though, just wants to communicate with finuwel back home. But he's the son of the emperor, so that would get her dad in a lot of trouble. Who they're trying to throw in the extra level of and his dad's bay. Then Cosmo takes a swig of soda and Sabrina, what did you think of his alien voice?
Speaker 2: I mean, was that them doing something electronically too?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was definitely they weren't.
Speaker 2: Like doing that voice right. That's the only real thought I had towards it.
Speaker 1: I am, however, going to need you to do an impression of.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, I can't.
Speaker 1: Sound like, come on, take us a roop here, what it sounds like? Come on?
Speaker 2: It was like like gods will takes a swig of soda? What eating of his alien voice? I thought it was just like stupid, like there are some of this stuff I had just seen for the last five minutes.
Speaker 1: That was not bad.
Speaker 2: That was not bad. I just get really nervous around the god of freaking voiceovers out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, that's not me. But that's there's plenty better, plenty plenty better. Yes. Cosmo climbs a tree outside in Ariel can't stop talking about Fanuel until a little gusta wind picks up and she darts inside, completely afraid. Her dad swears it can't hurt her, but he's also a little bit scared himself. Eventually, he sprints inside, yelling we fear the wind to his neighbor. I think literally, anyone who meets the Cola family is going to think their aliens are not really hiding it. Well, so Trevor wasn't all that perceptive. It's pretty easy to notice. Back inside the Cola house, a bathroom sink overflows and a gaseous bubble floats on the top of the water. Ariel is stuck inside, crying out to Fanuel. Why must he be the son of the emperor? They're like the historic story of Glabba and Gronka to star cross bubble. She promises they will meet again. She then interpretive dances to what seems to maybe be her planet's national anthem, while singing to it again. I'm not making any of this up. This is the movie. The next morning, Cosmo tells his daughter about meeting Kathy in the ocean and how he was impressed she wasn't afraid of the wind. He's very into her, but Ariel is obviously hurt thinking of her mother. Cosmo assures her he will never forget her mom, but they live on Earth now and they need to make a life here. Mommy wouldn't want them to be unhappy and alone, and tonight's the night they'll visit the Larson home. He guarantees a wonderful time, but Ariel reminds him the night went horribly, horribly wrong. We're back in the Larson front yard with Ariel hiding from the wind. Still, Megan informs her that the wind has died down. When they re enter the house, the family dog barks at Ariel and then again cue the little brother, Trevor blast in his toy laser gun and accusing Ariel of being an alien kid could have ended the movie in ninety seconds. Ariel panics and grabs root beer and then heads for the bathroom. Kathy forces Megan to check on her, and when she opens the door, Ariel is drenched. She claims she fell in the sink, so Meghan takes her off to her bedroom to dry her off and change her into a very y two K baggy shirt. Ariel chugs another bottle of root beer and accidentally exposes her alien voice. This is all freaking out Megan, who tries to dry her off for the blow dryer, but the wind again terrifies Ariel, and if this can't get any weirder, Kathy then walks in and announces dinner's ready. At the dinner table, Cosmo is completely covering his hot dog and dozens of condiments and chomping away, but Aerro just sits and angst she doesn't like food. Megan jokes she's on the root beer diet, and now Ariel considers her the enemy. But then the unthinkable happens. Cosmo and Kathy announce they're engaged. Seems like they went on six dates and now they're engaged. They haven't known each other long and dinner isn't going well, but they're following their hearts. Everyone is surprised, but Megan waits to crash out until she's alone with her mom. Later that night, she calls Cosmo the freak of all time, like some sort of clown. Trevor actually digs them, but Meghan can't believe this guy is about to be their stepfather. And while she's at it, Megan calls Ariel whacked. How could she have fallen in the sink and why is she afraid of a blow dryer? Trevor defends he thinks she's really pretty, which is another theme we're about to get hit over the head with over and over and over again. Kathy swears to Megan she would never marry someone that wasn't right for their family. Cathy suggests she makes music with Ariels since they both like to sing. Megan's not hearing it, and also Trevor again suggests she's an alien. Kathy reveals to Meghan that Ariel lost her mom a few years ago and she hasn't had it easy. So Megan agrees to take it easy on Ariel, but can't believe she's being enrolled in high school tomorrow, And so we're cutting to the next morning, where Megan and Ariel are biking a school together. Ariel is on training wheels and wearing a football helmet like a bit of a goob, or, as Trevor would call it, an alien. She blames being out of practice, but then crashes and performs a pretty dramatic flip over the handlebars above the bike rack in front of the entire student body. How unbelievably mortifying, But then apparently it wasn't, because to Megan surprised, two cute skater boys approach. They want to know who the girl is. Actually, a lot of the school is very interested in this new gorgeous transfer in unique clothes who apparently can't ride a bike, and that's turned on the entire student body. So now there's the new issue with having Ariel as a stepsister. She makes Megan feel inferior, so went from thinking she's weird to just feeling inferior. Even Mikey wants to hang out with Ariel, who has successfully convinced the school she is a visionary who wears a lot of layers to protect her essence. And then we're in math class. The teacher calls on Meghan for a volume of a swimming pool, but she has no clue how to answer, But guess who does Ariel? She knows to the point zero one kilometer and is instantly admired for her brain. And now the school is full of rumors. Ariel has a perfect iQue. She dated Prince William, she tutored Bill Gates, and Megan doesn't get it. In reality, Ariel is like an alien. And yes, there is now another child calling it out. How would adults not think something was up? Also, this time she says it's like she's from planet Weird. So that's how we got the title. Ariel is already at the popular table and Heather, the cool girl, is all over her. The popular girl say they wish Ariel was their stepsister. Ariel continues to wow the school by solving complicated math problems and playing piano perfectly. That afternoon, Ariel makes her way to the restroom, with Meghan and a teacher following close behind. They spy the new student holding a bubble in her hands and talking to it like it's Finul, her long lost boyfriend. But rather than cause alarm, the teacher finds Ariel to be a deep poet. This is Megan's absolute nightmare. Teacher's lover, and kids at school are already dressing in multiple layers and talking about their essence. She's starting a trend. She opens a door and comes out, and the entire school is wearing pink and all that kind of stuff. And it's her first day. Where did they get all the clothes exactly?
Speaker 2: It's like, she says, it's sixth period or seventh period. It's like, what, what weird? Did they just have all these random clothes to layer on? I mean they're wearing like three layers each.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense with whatever the hell is going on there. I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: Even yeah, well it's just too extreme. That was just kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was I get what they were doing, but they should have done that gradually over time.
Speaker 2: So why is this teacher following them into the bathroom?
Speaker 1: It was so odd and then just sitting there and being like she's like a poet. Wait, what what's happened?
Speaker 2: The hell is happening? It was why this movie?
Speaker 1: You know what this movie was was just a series of strange beats. It was like one strange beat after the next strange beat after the next strange beat. Yes, what's happening now?
Speaker 2: And then the beats just like went away. It wasn't like there's only one and I will say it that comes back. That actually ended up being funny the second time it came back, like this little beat that they had. But other than that, it was like a moment and then gone, yeah, and that was it. That was really except for I guess the blow dryers at the end, Like that's really it.
Speaker 1: I know that Kathy is now forcing Megan to teach Ariel how to win surf, which seems like a bad idea because one of them is afraid of the wind. But when Megan pushes back her mom calls it good for bonding, then doubles down by calling Cosmo her soulmate. Megan agrees to teach Ariol how to win surf, as long as Kathy never says soulmate again. Deals struck Now out on the beach, Megan wants to show Ariel how it's done, and Ariel reminds her new tutor that she's scared of the wind. No one seems to care, despite the fact that the sport literally has the word wind in it. And while out catching wind, Megan looks back at the beach and sees Cutter Cutter, Oh Cutter, chatting it up with Ariel. The jealousy causes a total wipeout and a declaration of war. Then we're thrown into another immediate rewind. We're taken all the way back. You've got to keep watching this movie over and over again. We're taking all the way back to the moment where Ariel flipped over her handlebars, and now she's the narrator talking to her diary. Okay, good idea.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like rewinding it. And then you do it from somebody else's point of view. That's a good idea. That's a clever way to do this. This was not done well, but it was a clever like I would like to see this in a better version of this movie. Yeah, that makes sense because it's a cool it's a cool visual device.
Speaker 2: The girls worlds are getting like flipped upside down and you're watching how they aren't seeing each other's struggles, and like I do, the concept is really a cool way to do that.
Speaker 1: It's sure very clever what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Just did it really amplifier like level up the movie in anything?
Speaker 1: It was a clever idea used in the in the wrong movie. Yeah, it's it's like they put this really cool new seat belt bracket in a Ford Pinto and it's like, well, that was the wrong place to put that. That's a weird analogy, but it works. Okay, we're taking all the way back to the moment where Ariol flipped over her handlebars, and now she's the narrator talking to her diary. Then we're back at the popular table for lunch, and Ariel, who finds them all to be useless and stupid, is living a nightmare. Also, other kids have been mimicking Ariel's big bike crash all day, cheering each other on, proving that absolutely everything she's done now is considered revolutionary. So even the crashing, the kids are like trying to imitate the strain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ones that we saw during this sea though, we're some pretty epic crash they Yeah.
Speaker 1: They had some good crashes.
Speaker 2: It was fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We are now back on the beach. While watching Megan windsurf, she worries that the wind will destroy her new mentor. She walks into the water to help, even fully submerging herself at one point. That's when Cutter introduces himself, drenched in her street clothes. She explained she intended to rescue Megan Larson, and he quickly starts flirting. He admits he likes her body, and then she wishes she was gas and crazy enough. He immediately asked to be her boyfriend, but this time it's not a dream. He just impulsively and love bombingly starts hitting on her, and she's an alien. Ariel says. She finds him vapid and shallow, and he understands about half those words, and that's when Meghan angrily returns to pull Ariel away. Ariel agrees the clag has really hit the drawn now stomping off. Meghan says she's onto Ariel. She's just trying to come in and take everything Megan wants, but Ariel says she doesn't want cutter, she just wants to go home. Ariel hates these strange creatures and the planet's lack of dignity for bubbles, just like Meg. She doesn't want her parents to get remarried, and so an unlikely alliance is born. When their parents leave for a date that night, Megan and Ariel agree to babysit Trevor and immediately send him to bed to make a plan. They decide first thing they have to do is convince their parents they become best friends, so they take some polaroids together then sing a duet about friendship. Okay, so it honestly doesn't sound too bad, and at least the singing kind of comes out again, which is good. They'll also practice what they'll tell their parents about how now that their BFFs and making cookies together, everything's wonderful and their evil plan has begun. Later that night, after they return from a date, Kathy attempts to read her new love some poetry, but Cosmo immediately spots a spider on the wall. He's very concerned, and worse, when she's hurt by the interruption, he just grabs the remote quickly and watches some Hollywood squares. We also get some real Disney synergy here, with a scene from The Lion King quickly shown on the screen before Kathy turns it off. If he doesn't like hearing her read poems, then why would he want to marry her. He assures her he loves how fun and free and qute she is, but she wants to know how he feels about her mind. He says he's never seen her mind, and then the fight escalates. They call each other shrill and inconsiderate, and she storms out, noticing the girl spying on them on the way out. That night, Ariel sits in bed again, controlling holograms with her finger. One fight did not end the engagement, but she announces the next move is hers. She runs her lines in the bathroom the next day, tick now talking to a bubble with her dad's head in it. She says now that she's besties with Megan, who told her a secret. Kathy only acted the way she did because she was testing him. She needs to know that he can be a real man. We cut to Cosmo and Kathy having lunch, and now Cosmo is dressed like a cowboy, saying he'll take care of this little lady, except on Sundays, when he'll be watching football. He also barks at the waiter and orders a big steak, but it's a pizza parlor, so this is not working out the way he wants. The girls watch him afar as Cosmo pulls out the ventriloquist dummy again, now dressed exactly like him before. Kathy can't even say a word. Cosmo sweeps her up to a dance. He's throwing her around, trying to lead, but Kathy has had enough. Cosmo admits he's only been acting like this because she thought she wanted him to, and they quickly figure out who's been behind this entire thing. The plan has been foiled. Kathy and Cosmo are furious at their daughters, reprimanding them in the parking lot. Ariel breaks out in tears. She's disgraced her family for selfish reasons. Kathy attempts to console her, which makes Megan even matter, and again Trevor announces that she's an alien. No one listens to this kid, he might as well be in another family, so who cares, Let's just everybody save Trevor for oh that night. Ariel can't take this any longer. She's used some sort of weird alien tool kind of thing to signal for Noule to come save her, giving away her location, something her father begged her never to do. The message shoots out of her window and right up into the sky. Over in Meghan's bedroom, she's prepping for plan be but now worried if she's even doing the right thing. She admits that Cosmo has been growing on her and it's not even really Ariel's fault that everyone mistakes her weirdness for coolness. But the next morning at school, where everyone is still of course idolizing Ariel, Meghan has a new plan. They need to make their parents fall in love with somebody else, even though they admit that Cosmo and Cathy seem pretty perfect for each other. But still, Megan suggests her dad, and Ariel mentions the spiritual neighbor Serena sue. So the plan is set. They'll throw a party to say sorry for their behavior and invite everyone, including these possible love interests. Then chemistry itself will just take over. Later, Meghan finally tells Trevor he was right, Cosmo is an alien, and this poor kid finally feels a little bit vindicated here that Megan goes one step further and says he's a bad alien. Trevor doesn't believe her, but Meghan swears she's telling the truth and shows him a book titled by Plan to take Over the World and Step One Eat Trevor. He's immediately terrified and ready to do whatever it takes to help. I think at this point I paused it, walked away for a little while. Ye are sandwich, cookie, have some root beer? If that were watch Elzzie McGuire movie again, double teams everything we could do. This was you know, even as I'm reading it, this was a slog this movie. I'm sorry, this was a lot to get through this movie. It was yeah, okay, so yes. After seeing Trevor, Trevor's of course immediately terrified and ready to do whatever it takes to help. And now we are just minutes away from everyone arriving to the party, including her dad and Kookie. Serena Soue. Ariel gets ready by putting different foods into a blender, she says, because it all just ends up in the same intestinal track anyway, which is, you know, a pretty good point. And then the doorbell rings. It's Serena Soue, who thinks the dog used to be Mickey Mantle. And also Trevor peaks his head out. Megan has banished him to his room, and then Cosmon Kathy returned from a successful day of windsurfing. Cosmo actually liked it. Not sure how because he still hates Win, but sure. The couple notices party decorations, and okay, do they hate wind? Like all they do is float around their own planet? So do they hate win because they can't like it blows them away? Why do they hate wind so much? Because wind blows a gas away and it'll pop a bubble, right, Like that's the point.
Speaker 2: I guess that's what it is, because that's where we're getting to, right Like at the end, I I they just she just acts like she was just terrified. I don't know, I don't know, Okay, it was It wasn't really ever actually explained why where the fear of wind comes from at all? Yeah, but it's weird because they do float around, So is.
Speaker 1: It just because they're gas so because their gas like wind blows gas away.
Speaker 2: I mean, but it doesn't up when there's it doesn't up in there when they're floating their ozone or wherever they're at, floating and flying, and when they're fine. Yeah, yeah, okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, the couple notices party decorations and Serena, who also has real alien vibes by the way, and Kathy immediately figures out the girls are up to something. But then the doorbell rings again. This time it's Megan's dad, Fred. Fred's back. Thank god he put the phone down long enough to be back in the movie. Kathy's surprised to see him, but he still has work to do. He just came to pick the kids up until them back to his place, not actually attend the party, And as the plan is falling apart in front of them, Megan thinks on her toes. She tells her dad that Trevor's sick and needs help. She rushes him upstairs, whi Trevor is totally playing along with the lie. He's laying in bed, coughing and yelling to the sky Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you, which was the funniest part of the entire movies, but he eventually breaks character and asks his dad, if you and mom get back together, can I still play with Cosmo? Sometimes? Megan can't believe what she's hearing. She quickly changes the subject, begging her dad to stay for dinner. He agrees, but nothing's going according to plan. We're now down in the kitchen. Cosmo tells Serena she's full of crap when she predicts he died in the Civil War and was a raccoon in prior lives. Then Fred returns downstairs. He's rushing to get back to work. He meets Cosmo, who's eating pudding with his hands. When he introduced himself as Kathy's fiance, Fred doesn't get it. When did this happen? Cathy says they're happy together, So Fred goes looking for an ant acid. He bumps into Serena sue on the way, and she suggests instead of an ant acid, he needs harmony and in the real opposite is a track turn of events. They immediately hit it off. Now to dinner table. The undeniable connection between looney Serena and workaholic Fred continues. She wants to cleanse his aura, which is probably a euphemism for doing things to his junk. Megan tries to sabotage her dad and Serena by spilling the multi entre soup arial made all over them, but instead of everyone getting mad like she planned, Cosmo responds by spilling the soup on himself in camaraderie, and that turns into an all out Seltzer war with adults spraying each other and laughing. And that's when I was like, oh my god, are they really just throwing in a food fight or seltzer fight? Now?
Speaker 2: Like what is just out of nowhere? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just out of nowhere?
Speaker 2: I know. And yeah, I honestly also don't understand what would make them I mean, I know wind is a part back to these rules that I'm trying to trying so hard to figure out. Because she goes in, how does she like change form into going into the sink and becoming the bubble? Is it from water?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Water is what make her makes her do that? Well?
Speaker 1: No, because then because then it was spraying each other and they can win, sir.
Speaker 2: So I was thinking that water was a part of the Nope, Oh yeah, and they both went into the waters. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think they turn into the bubbles when they want to, because.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just think is the answer, because they.
Speaker 1: Can't because they didn't explain any of this. So, yes, we're in a water fight for no reason now, and Ariel's had enough. She sprints to the bathroom, and when Meghan catches up, she's already a bubble in the sink. The two girls scream at the sight of each other, and Meghan runs back to her mom and the guests. She reveals that Ariel is just a blob, and once a drenched Aarrol walks back into the dining room, Meghan leans more into it, calling her an alien, and then, in one of the most abrupt transitions in dcom history, maybe even in film history, we jump right to a doctor's office where a therapist is talking to and blaming Meghan. He says she's acting in fear of change and the alien is actually her and as long as the marriage is what Kathy wants, meant she has to go through with it. Who is this therapist? What type of a transition was it? What the hell is happening? I was like, if he in the middle just said you're the alien? Threw a pietor I would have been like, okay, like I, that's that's fine, that's tracks that tracks like it, just none of it. It's such a weird movie. It's such a weird and.
Speaker 2: Then pulls the mom in and says, oh, no, she's fine and she needs to get married. It's okay to get married.
Speaker 1: He's like, you have to get married. He says, you must.
Speaker 2: Uh, okay, the therapist.
Speaker 1: So strange. Yeah, has anybody actually checked this guy's license?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not real on his wall at all.
Speaker 1: And so if the transitions couldn't get any more abrupt, yep, making up a word any more abrupt.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's another very jarring cut, and it's a day of the wedding and Kathy is putting on her Gownikes, that was fast. Kathy promises Megan that this is all gonna work out, but Megan reminds her Cosmo is an alien. Now she's all on board with the alien stuff. Kathy assures her once they're married, he'll become a citizen, and Megan asked, one last time, is there anything she can do to stop the marriage. Cathy says she's thought about it long and hard, and even talk to that weird therapist. Cosmo makes her happy. If she thought anything her daughter said was real, she wouldn't marry him. They admit they love each other and embrace, but we see a big tear rolling down Megan's cheek. The tear then turns into a tiger, which attacks half the party. I'm kidding, but if that happened, you'd be like, yeah, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So that's that's right.
Speaker 1: I'm just seeing where everybody's still with us. Now at the wedding, Ariel is nowhere to be found. Cosmo tries to cover her by saying she needed a moment of meditation to collect herself. But she's in the bathroom trying one last time to talk to Finel, and then a cute boy walks in. It's phenoal. She's relieved to see him, but he demands she get no closer to him. Physical proximity makes him sick. Now, I was like, Nikes, that was ABRUPTO.
Speaker 2: I know it was another This is another rule of this other planet that we didn't get explained.
Speaker 1: Because they've been hugging as father and son, our father and daughter and all this kind of stuff. Obviously, the physical stuff is fine. With them, so they're not allowed to touch. It was very She explains they have to leave fast. But then Finul's evil emperor dad arrives and doesn't look anything like an alien. He looks like an extra in a Mafia movie. Yet he's here to arrest Cosmo. He commands Ariel to take him to her dad, but then Serena Sue accidentally walks in and the emperor laser freezes her into ice. Okay, so, A, what did you think of the effect? And B is this movie just completely off the rails at this point?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, I even was just like I mean, even back at this time early two thousands, walking into a room like a young girl's room that she's supposed to be in, you know that this young girl's going to be there, and seeing an older man that you don't know and in a teenage boy that you don't know instantly is like a flare Like I think it would, it's not she and she literally says, oh, sorry, what I'm sorry?
Speaker 1: Was I interrupting you?
Speaker 2: I would be like, oh who are you? Are you? Okay? What's going on in here? That's that's the question.
Speaker 1: But no, apparently, because maybe she thinks good of everybody because she's that.
Speaker 2: But it is looney Looneyville. But like I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know Looneyville. Uh yeah, the whole it's just off the rails this one, I mean really really off the rails this week.
Speaker 2: What did you think about this effect?
Speaker 1: It was like it was like, again with all the going on beforehand, if they turned her into bubbles and then used her to scrub the floor would be like all right, Like I just none of it made sense.
Speaker 2: So all of it made like, now you can freeze people, like, yeah, well we knew powers, like the powers.
Speaker 1: They said that was what he would be if he went back there. That's how he'd be in prisoned. Is they freeze you forever?
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's got that.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's got a freeze ray. And I guess if you gas the bed. They're trying to throw science in the bad the way that you would trap gases by freezing it turning into a solid. So that's what they're showing.
Speaker 2: But but looney villain Serena.
Speaker 1: Is not getting she's a meatbag, so I don't know what that's all we are is a bunch of meatbags. So yeah, I but it was like okay, and again the effect was fine. It was just it was the ninetieth thing on my list of weird stuff in this movie, so I was like, fine, okay. The Emperor says he hates humans, but Ariel stands up for them. She says they have warmth, kindness, and bravery inside, but her dad doesn't care. He still goes off to find Cosmo with fnuol, making sure she doesn't leave the room. Meanwhile, a delivery man with eighty two cases of root beers arrived at the party, and Cosmo and Trevor leave to help him carry it all in, and then Cutter arrives. For some reason. He's happy to be at the wedding, but admits he'd rather be windsurfing. Kathy needs Megan to go find Ariel, so Cutter joins her, and the Emperor is still by the way. Cutter's there, her best friend is, and the Emperor is still on the hunt for Cosmo, one wedding guest at a time. He eventually stops a Cutter who isn't an alien, but does wonder if some nearby chips are fat free. And when Meghan finally makes to Ariel, she's startled by the frozen Serena su and then locked in by Finuel. Ariel tells her the Emperor's arrived to kill her father. She admits their aliens, and they escape to avoid political oppression the only state on Earth because her dad fell in love with Kathy. Megan immediately realizes how hard this must have been for Ariel, which seems like something that maybe she should have realized when she found out that her mom died. Yeah, you think. Although Megan hasn't been much help so far, Ariel tells her that she can help now. Then, led by a grunting Emperor, Cutter is pushed into the room. The Emperor says he doesn't have time for these kids. He needs to find Cosmo at this party asap, and so, once again outside, Cathy has no idea who this uninvited stranger is at her wedding, reveals Cosmo is out front getting the root beer, and then that leads him right to the groom, who has Trevor on his shoulders. The Emperor asses, Arch Nemesis, are you ready to pay for your crimes? He then holds up the laser gun, which excites little Trevor. He thinks it's a toy. Cosmo tells the boy that he and his friend really like to play hide and seek, so he should count to one hundred and they'll come find him, which is technically the opposite of hide and seek. You don't want to find them after you hope to not he found, So okay, The boy leaves and Cosmo slowly walks away with his captor. Back in the room with Finuel, the girls are begging him to let them go. Cutter offers Fernul a mint, and the alien likes it. It bonds him to cut her for some reason. They quickly become bros, and Cutter admits he thinks Meghan is hotter than arial just out of nowhere and then right just right there, and as I keep is like I like the blown hair part, Like what the hell is happening? And then drops like go bad have it?
Speaker 2: Just like I like the blonde I like better than.
Speaker 1: The brown hair better She hunh yeah, so weird. And then Meghan has an idea. She praises Fanuel's power and wonders how he has any free time for hobbies like windsurfing or skating. Cutter even suggests mountain biking off a ledge into a river and then floating down the rapids. All these extreme sports sound awesome to Fnul. Cutter also praises the eighteen different types of potato chips on Earth because freedom of choice rules. It's the exact opposite of what Finul experiences on his planet from his freedom. Hating dad. Now Nuwel is starting to get it, so Cutter and everybody else suggests that he stand up to his father, and eventually he agrees and they all break out of the room, which again seem to happen very quickly.
Speaker 2: But also, how was he holding them hostage in this room?
Speaker 1: He said, you can't open the door.
Speaker 2: No, there's no, there was no nothing, just was keeping him in the room. I'm keeping them in their room.
Speaker 1: The whole movie is just no, it's just no.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Back out in front, the Emperor has opened a portal for Cosmo to return home. He sentenced him an Ariel to be frozen forever, and then without any warning, he freezes Cosmo just then Fanuel and Meghan arrives. She doesn't freak out at all when she sees her frozen soon to be stepdad, but instead just tells the Emperor to let him go, and then right before he shoots Megan Fanuel jumps in front of her. The human Shield demands change, but his dad explains the price for change is eternal freezing. And just as this tense standoff gets good, outruns Aerial. She's brought a handful of blow dryers and yells, don't mess with my family, dude. They all try to melt him with hot air from the from the hair dryers that out not plugged. Are they not plugged in? I couldn't. I looked, I couldn't tell if they were plugged in, but it's like, no, no, They've got four hair dryers from fifteen feet away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from where would they even be plugged in? And who extension chords? There was nothing And even there's one shot towards the very end where you can see one of them. I can't remember what character it is where it just doesn't matter a cord that's just there the ground.
Speaker 1: There you go. Also, who has four hair dryers in their house? That which is like, again, the least of my problems with this. Ugh. Yeah, so okay, don't don't mess with my family, dude. And they try to melt him with hot air. It seems like he's in pain as he turns into a bubble and floats a few feet off the ground. Out back, the wedding's been held up by Cosmo and the kids. Just as they realize the blow dryers are not killing the bubble Emperor. Instead, he actually looks scarier than ever, and right is he's about to attack, Little Trevor shows up with a leaf blower that does do the trick, and he blasts him until he bursts. This also unfreezes Cosmo, who rushes into the backyard to get married. Now that doesn't do it. It does the trick. He blasts him until he bursts, and then Finuel unfreezes Cosmo, who rushes into the backyard to get married. They make it just in time, but Cathy says she would have waited forever. The couple gets married, only interrupted once by Fred's work phone, who is of course in attendance with his new girlfriend Serena, but still the same guy as he was before.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: At the reception, Ariel is slow dancing with Cutter, and Meghan is cozied up to Fanuel, who apparently now is okay with touching a little old fashioned partner swap. There you go, Megan wishes Finuel didn't have to leave, but he promises he'll return after he makes some positive changes to his home planet. Then the party picks up and everyone's having a blast. Ariel explains to her diary she thought her life was over when she came to Earth, but instead it's just beginning. She has a new boyfriend, a stepmother, and a new best friend. So this hotty, most popular girl in school, who's the smartest person in the world, is with cutter. Megan tells her diary that she learned a lot and now there's always room at the popular table. We see her welcome the popular girl who wasn't sitting at the table with them to go sit with her in Aeriel and the stepsisters exchange a smile. We freeze on Megan, which is a weird way to end this movie, but was the ninety seventh weird thing in this movie. There's our film. Let's go watch double teamed Sabrina, let's do real reviews. You've got the one star this week. I wonder if they had to hunt for a five star. Here we go, what do you go?
Speaker 2: All right? My one star comes from Brandy Ferrell. There was clearly no budget for when they are in the alien form because it looked real dumb. I would have enjoyed this more if the father and daughter were just weird hippies or something. Do not recommend one star.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with anything that Brandy Farrell said. Yes, I've got the five star and it's it's somebody named honey Baby thirty six sixty nine and it reads as thus. I thought it was a very great family movie. But I'm sixteen years old. If anyone that reads this knows some information about Henry Fagans, please email me, because I really want to find out stuff about him. Which one's Henry Fagans? Do we know? Is that just a random name?
Speaker 2: I don't remember that being a name. Okay, that's just something we just saw. But there was so many weird things I could definitely forgot. What about honey Baby three six six nine? Is that was such a two thousand's like AOL account, like use ther name like honey Baby three.
Speaker 1: Six sixth nine like that works.
Speaker 2: So it just it works. It's so good.
Speaker 1: Never had one of those. We're now coming to Sabrina's favorite part of the program, of course, which is the feature game that producer Jensen makes for us I hear this week, though we might have a bit of a reprieve because producer Jensen is not with us. I think we have producer Tara with us. I'm if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: Are you a little bit more of like a better luck for me?
Speaker 1: She's also just nicer about it. She doesn't revel in your misery? Are you with us?
Speaker 2: Producer Tara?
Speaker 1: Okay, So our feature this week is called take Me to Your Leader. We dealt with some unique aliens in Stepsister from Planet Weird, maybe some of the most confusing and pop culture history, which is arguable, but with the very long history of extraterrestrials on TV and in the movies, it's important we give equal time to them all. So we're going to get the name of one of these famous beings, and with multiple choice options, we have to pick which planet they call home. Three out of five and we win. You ready, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, right up?
Speaker 1: My alley number one Alf was alf from a Tartem B Narpak, C Melmac or d Cat Diner.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go a see.
Speaker 1: I believe it is c Melmac. If I'm not mistaken, you.
Speaker 2: Are both correct.
Speaker 1: It's one for us. Number two Mork is Mark from Sork Orc Zork or Pork b Orc b orc is correct?
Speaker 2: Is it two for two?
Speaker 1: There you go, Mark from Orc. Number three Predator.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is that really crazy looking alien.
Speaker 1: Movie, right, yeah, like awesome movie. Okay, okay, are there is the name of their home planet A Panita Sun Prime, b Ya Jeta Prime, ce Conaza Prime or d Amazon Prime. What do you got?
Speaker 2: Oh? Does it be again?
Speaker 1: It is b I know the Predator world and it is Ujita Prime. Am I correct? Three? Three?
Speaker 2: Never gonna believe it?
Speaker 1: This is great. Number four Stitch is Stitch from a truro b Sano see bupo or d Buka de Beppo? What you got Sabrina?
Speaker 2: Oh this is Stitch like the Disney Stitch right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, I thought Stitch was made in a lab, but I think the lab is from a planet, and I think I know what it is. I was on movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because there's that evil Yes, yes, you're right, I'm gonna say, see bopo, but I don't think I believe it's a true Will's right, it's a.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, So well we've already won. So now we've got five Roger from American Dad. Is he, hey, Jupiter's Twilight Path, B Mars's horizontal ring, see Earth's Central Galaxy or D How would I know? I've never seen American Dad. I don't know this one. And I was on American Dad too, you were hey, Yeah, I did an episode of American Dad.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I think it's a Jupiter's twilight path.
Speaker 1: And be Mars. It sounds like something like I'm from Mars. This horizontal ring like it sounds like something.
Speaker 2: He said, Yeah, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: All right, you were both wrong. It is C Earth Central Galaxy. Okay, there we go again. We gotta have produce a char back because we seem to win when is here, and it's because Jensen brings such bad vibes and anger.
Speaker 2: Had one right. I mean, I'm kind of like, I don't think he'll ever ever believe that.
Speaker 1: I know, and you did that we were here, We saw it for him. Yeah. Will. By the way, does anybody while I have your produced chart, does anybody know what Alf's favorite food was?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, it was cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember he always wanted to eat cats. Oh my god, you gotta go back and watch Alf. It is a serious acid trip, but better than this movie. Can we do some Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Ceas yes, and foremost my mom and dad's name is Fred and Kathy, So I thought that was k And then when I came and did, like, you know, my bit of like my homework for the movie, Kathy with the k is not normal.
Speaker 2: I think more people named Kathy are starts with the sea and okay, I've only really ever met my mom Kathy with the cake except for recently, okay. And then oh yeah, so I recognized the mean girl from Xenon, and I was like, I wonder if Xenon was before after? As always, I'm always like, what's that? I thought? I actually asked in the chat, I thought for sure, okay, no, wait, maybe I asked was the mom the mom from Luck of the Irish because.
Speaker 1: She looked very different? Okay, Lisa said no, okay.
Speaker 2: But that she I thought it was. I was like, oh, we've got like multiple de commerce you know in it. Something that always cracks me up, you know, is the wardrobe. This was like classic Disney Channel wardrobe, but the skinny spaghetti strap tank top. But it had to be on like a regular you know, at least two inch sure that that happened, or if they had some type of tank top there was like a vest of some sort, so that was always happening. Something that I always always throws me off a little bit is when they reference things that are not like Disney, like Men in Black?
Speaker 1: Was that a Disney movie?
Speaker 2: It was it ok is men in Black. Then they randomly referenced Jewel the artist, and then they referenced just not too long after that, Goodwill Hunting. They said, she's right, They said Ariel was straight out a good one. I was like, that's a lot of referencing of like just other yes, and then you already mentioned too. And then we've got our little clip of of Lion King in there, which is obviously Disney. Some of the funny little comments that were made. We talked about extreme. Then she's freak of all time, like this is like the lines of working on the channel. You kind of hope you don't have to say, right, the freak of all time like extreme was words. And then she's whacked, Like what to me, that's like someone whacked her? So those were crazy? Did you see the little bit of I thought it was not an easter egg. I don't know what you'd call this. Maybe you have a better name for it. But how her name, her character name is Ariel. And then when she's in the water when Megan's windsurfing, and then he cutters there and she walks out, and she's walking out and the water looks just like Little Mermaid all the time. It's like all sparkly, and she's just walking out like the way little like the way Ariel walks out at the very end of the movie. That's a good Easter egg. Right, we talked about my non appropriate the inappropriate random men in the room, So okay, so we didn't cover this.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: The dad, the the villain dad comes back and his son like helps kill.
Speaker 1: Him, Yes, with the like with the with the the hair dryers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like helps like yeah, he like basically did something similar to what happened to her mom. Right, he's gone and he's not afraid.
Speaker 1: Of the wind. He's just gotten there. I mean, he's they're all used to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm like, but wait, he like helped like murder rid of his dad.
Speaker 1: It's called fratricide.
Speaker 2: That is kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Actually his father was a king, so it's actually technically regicide. Oh terrible, terrible.
Speaker 2: And he even speaks on it later that he has to he's go back and ru go back and rule.
Speaker 1: It's not even like I froze my dad. And so because I'm gonna like, we'll see if he's ever gonna get.
Speaker 2: Cosmo like, yeah, he's dead, he's gone, He's dead.
Speaker 1: He's dead now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the last thing is there's a song called Sunshine Girl, and there's a jingle that happened within this movie three or four times that sounds so much like that. Oh really yeah, And I was like, I wonder if anyone will recognize if they go back and watch this, if you recognize a song that sounds just like Sunshine Girl by You're Gonna Die Sunshine Girl by j Boot featuring Peta p e E t A. Wow. Anyway, Okay, kept going and it comes in like three or four times throughout the movie, and I was like, what song is that? And I finally figured out a lyric I remembered and looked it up and that's it.
Speaker 1: Well, there we go, Thank you so much. Now let's let's rate our let's rate our movie, our options for this week. I'm not even gonna make a joke out of it one to ten. One's one's the worst, ten's best. We can do one out of ten. Ignored redheaded little brothers who can end the movie in minutes one out of ten. Financial concerns about a windsurfing store. Obvious Australian accents, Canadian aliens one out of ten, Glaba and Gronkas one out of ten. Layers to protect your essence, alien love bombing one out of ten. Mickey mantledogs or a handful of blow dryers? What do you got? I also want to add one out of ten. I need to watch Double Teamed again.
Speaker 2: Bring back Double Team, Bring Double.
Speaker 1: Team, back Double Team. You wanna do that, let's do that. One out of ten. Bring but we're gonna do one out of ten bring back Double Teams. I go first this week. I remember that, Yeah, this movie's not good. This is not a good movie. Okay, let's They're not all gonna be gems, some of them. I know. Some people, Well, you're not watching it the right way. No, you can watch I imagine if I was ten years old, I would have watched this movie and gone, what is this movie? At ten? So this is this? The book may be great. This might be just a poorly adapted book. It could be a great book. You can tell they greenlit this three weeks before they were going to start shooting it. You can tell their holes in it. I mean, it is just a strange, strange movie, and not fun strange, but.
Speaker 2: Just weird and confusing, bad.
Speaker 1: And confusing, and then they're gas and it's just this. This was this was a slog for me to get through eighty five minutes. I mean, I'm gonna give it three point five bring back double Teams because there I just there's very little about this movie that was redeeming for me. I just I didn't think the script was good. The acting's okay, but it's nothing to write home about. The story makes no sense whatsoever. Some of the characters are just flat out annoying. This was not a good movie for me. And you can come at me all day long and we will talk film all day long. This was not a good one. So I'm gonna stick. I'm pretty I'm I'm okay with three point five bring back double Teams.
Speaker 2: I yes, this one was. It was rough. It was rough, and you know, it's it's different to like kind of have the ability to like pick pick pinpoint and pick apart certain things because there's so much greatness in the movie. But for this movie, it was like it was a struggle just to find any type of like sunshine and joy. And you know, I live on a on a bright and shiny class, right, yes, you do.
Speaker 1: You live in happy sunshine land.
Speaker 2: I do. And so this one was difficult and hard for me too because it's like a friend of well, I mean, like we haven't talked in years, but like somebody I worked with and like have a lot of respect for and everything is like one of the main stars in here, and it's like she was the brunette. Yeah, and and it was like, man, like this is this is what Disney brought to you. I would assume. I'm assuming she didn't really even have to audition for this because of her status the channel, and just you know that was that's disappointing. But again, the whole time, you're like, you're easy need to be distracted because you don't even really understand what's happening on the screen. And that's nope, crazy to me. And usually we can find something that kind of like flips it in like at least a couple moments. The only funny part about it was his and I said earlier, his fall down the when she says he bladed down the mountain. When they brought that one back, because he's referenced it again, That's the only time I literally laughed in this whole ninety eighty five minutes.
Speaker 1: I laughed twice. I laughed with cutting back to the Yukon again where it's population still low, and then I laughed. He had one linery and cutter at the end where it's like, I know that you frozer and that's like, it's supposed to be cool, but it isn't. That was it. That was the whole line. But the way he said I reroounded three times. The way he read it was hysterical, and I was like, why couldn't the whole movie have been that? Yes, so that is what gave it to point five. Yeah, breath, there you go.
Speaker 2: But I am going to go ahead, and this is going to be my lowest score. It has to be. I can't think of a movie that was that was worse than that. This scoring is a three point five. Bring back double teams, because I would watch that three or four more time loop than ever watched. Yeah, this really I'm sorry for the cast of the crew and everyone involved because that's not nice to say, but you know it is.
Speaker 1: This is a rough one. Uh you know again, they can't all be bangers. They can't.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so crazy how this time of the channel there was an adjustment that was happening and they were trying to figure out where they were going with their dcom world, and this was one of the ones that was jumbled up of like you could just tell they didn't have a clear direction at this point.
Speaker 1: Is what it seemed like, Well, it's yours, It's truly. I mean, the one thing we're starting to realize it's really your movie. There is pre Cheetah Girls d COM and then there's post Cheatagirls DCOM, which are two very different things. Because when the Cheetah Girls came out and it became more about the music and good acting and bigger locations they ran with that. Yeah, that that then became what the channel was about. It became high school musical, it became and now we see what it is now with zombies and forty million dollar movies. But it really can be You can point to the Cheeta Girls as the one. I mean, we're watching the Model. Ye you came out what two thousand and three are moo?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we filmed two thousand and two, came out two thousand and three.
Speaker 1: Okay, great. So there's very few movies pre two thousand and three that we've been watching that are on the caliber of the movies after the Cheetah Girls. Yeah, and it's almost changed it.
Speaker 2: Ever, it wasn't if it wasn't a before, if it wasn't like a movie that was based on some kind of micro world or like some kind of sports thing, yes, like an extreme sport of some sort. It just was not finding the storylines that could carry the ninety minutes are.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. So well that's where we are. Everybody again, you might disc with us, but you'd be wrong. Next week we are back to swapping bodies, a dcom trope we faced before, but this time it's with a future Gray's Anatomy Superstar. Little fun fact, I've never seen ten seconds of Gray's Anatomy.
Speaker 2: Seen every episode.
Speaker 1: That's what people are huge into the show. I've never seen it ever. It's nineteen ninety six's Wish upon a Star And while you're waiting, go check out some of our interviews on the dedicated Magical Rewind feed. We have tons with so many legendary decomcast and crew. All you have to do is search Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe and for more info, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. I'm gonna go watch Double Teamed and apologize to everybody, especially.
Speaker 2: Take it all that.
Speaker 1: Bye, everybody used