Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: First and foremost, can you explain the basic principles of anti trust laws and why they are important to protecting our economic freedoms?
Speaker 4: For sure? So anti trust and it's related cousin the anti monopoly framework are really about the rules that companies have to abide by when they compete. So competition is good. It is the law of the land in this country. And we like competition because it basically means that companies have to compete to provide the best service. It keeps prices down. And what anti trust does is it prescribes some really simple, flexible rules so that you don't have monopolies, right, which is when one company controls, you know, the provision of a product or a service in the market, and when you don't have the undo accumulation of power, right, corporate power in a market. There are different ways that you can accumulate that power. Sometimes it's by mergers, right, And so anti trust is applied to mergers that are notified in the United States, typically only the biggest mergers. And the reason it's really important to understand anti trust for your audience, for every American to understand anti trust, is because it is so fundamental to our full participation in our democracy. And if I can say just a few words about what I mean about that, I think that black Americans have shed blood to give meaning to this fundamental proposition that all people are created people. Our forefathers have fought for social rights, for political rights, for example, the right to vote. But as I've thought about this work more and really gotten in the books and read a lot of the thought beforehand, what I realized is that so many civil rights leaders understood that social and political rights standing alone would not be sufficient to protect our full participation and our full citizenship in this country. That you really need economic liberty as that third plank to protect all of your other liberties. And there's really incredible scholarship and writing from WBDU boys, m Okay, Bayard Rusten, and others who really understood this. And so that's why I'm so pleased to be able to talk to all of you and your audience about why I think antitrust is good for the entire country, but in particular Black.
Speaker 5: Americans given the digital economy that we're in now, Like, how important do you think it is to have the anti trust laws and do you think some companies in the tech space are actually too big to fail?
Speaker 4: It's a great question. I think that let me take a step back about digital platforms and the big tech companies. So there you should know that the antitrust laws apply to the entire economy, healthcare, agriculture, financial services, labor markets, and everything in between, professional sports and education and so forth. But you know, in the last twenty years or so, recall that you know there was a two tiered recovery from the financial crisis. Some people lost a lot and never quite made up around some people lost a little bit, and maybe you're doing a little bit better. And there's a sense in this country for a lot of people that economic opportunity is not what it used to be. And the tech platforms are interesting because that sentiment that I just described actually is true regardless of who you are, your demographic or your political leanings. Right, so people on the left and the right are concerned about economic opportunity in this country. And for a lot of folks who are self styled conservatives, they're thinking about the tech platforms and the power that they have to censor people, the power that they have to deplatform people, the power to control what ideas even make it to the public. And in the case of Google, for example, which I can talk about because we filed monopolization cases against Google, one of which went to trial last year and where we look forward to closing arguments in the spring, and another one that's going to trial this year. And so I think that some companies are both big and do things that are against the law. And in the case of Google Search, that is a case about a company that has we'll say ninety plus percent share of all the Internet searches that are conducted every day in this country, and they entered into agreements with.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC. Erness What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast the receipts are digital. Tipping is a breeze, and you're out the before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland.
Speaker 4: Security, browser companies, device manufacturers including your phone, device manufacturers with wireless carriers and the like to make sure that they were the default search engine. And what's interesting about those digital platforms is that, like Google Search, is that the more people use Google Search, the better the product becomes. And it also deprives competitors of the opportunity to provide you a product and so digital market. This is a concept that people call network effects and such. But again, let's zoom out and talk about why that should matter to all people. You know, when you go and conduct a search, you might be looking at healthcare information, you might be thinking of reproductive information, you might be thinking about really intimate personal decisions about how you are going to live your life and how you're going to you exercise your rights as a consumer.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: Having competition amongst search engines to give you the very best search results is very important. And we've seen interesting reporting about how, you know, concerns about how search results are delivered can actually vary information that people need, or worse, serve up very harmful information. And again, that affects the experience of citizenship in this country, and it's a way that all of us feel the effects and ramifications of corporate power in like very basic ways in our everyday life.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's interesting when we hear anti trust laws, we usually again we hear Tech, we hear Google, we hear Mata, we hear Apple. Those companies always come into into the forefront. From a standpoint of the average day citizen, it's tough for us to understand it or have a care base about it because we're just so unaware. So it feels like big brother is being watched by another big brother. And then whatever the result is, we'll figure out how do we get more people involved in understanding just the ramifications of some of the things you're talking about on an everyday basis.
Speaker 4: So I will say that under the Biden Harris administration, and this leadership set at the Justice Department to include Attorney General Merrick Garland, the Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Any Trust Division, a guy named Jonathan Canter, and other very important figures including Lena Cohn, the chair of the FTC in others, there has been a whole of government approach to thinking about anti trust and competition issues. So way back in July twenty twenty one, the President signed an executive order where he said that it would be the policy of his administration to take into account competition and the benefits of competition policy and antitrust in every single agency. So every again, the the Department of Agriculture, the Department of Transportation, the Federal Communications Commission and more are all a part of this effort to make sure that they are taking into account competition principles in their everyday work for all of us at the Any Trust Division, or I have the distinct privilege of serving as the second highest ranking official and working with a staff of more than eight hundred people who are dedicated to faithfully serving the public and bringing the benefits of competition to everyday people. We're thinking about just how we talk to the public right. Anti trust for a long time was really technocratic. It was steeped and kind of murky economics. And that's really a shame, because as I've gone back and engaged with the history, it's clearer to me than ever that anti trust is for all of us. And so, for example, we are trying to make sure that we're using plain language in our complaints, our guidance documents, or making sure that we're not privileging a small few who already kind of know what's going on at the Anti Trust Division and down at the Federal Trade Commission, which is our sister agency, and that we're setting up access for everyday people to get the information that they need. And so we go out and talk to as many people as we possibly can. I'll give you just one example. We spoke to a group of farmers that we're coming to Washington for the day just to talk about how we think about competition and agriculture. And we're going out to colleges and universities, We're going out to conferences, We're talking to content creators. We're just talking to as many people as we possibly can because we feel so deeply that anti trust is for the people, and we as public servants, are obligated to protect every citizen in this country, regardless of whether you have power, whether you don't.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 2: Have been arrested.
Speaker 1: If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined. Nearly one thousand dollars a day. Imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,