Speaker 1: Loud and Quiet presents Midnight Chats.
Speaker 2: This episode of Midnight Chats is a bit out of the ordinary for us. Normally we record these conversations in our office in East London. Sometimes Stuart or I Greg get out in the fresh air and take them somewhere else. But only once before this time last year with Anna Meredith. Actually have we recorded an episode in front of an audience of other real life people. And what you're about to hear took place at this year's End of the Road Festival in Dorset at the start of September. Recorded at the more sociable time of midday on the Saturday on the Piano Stage, which is a stage in the woods at the festival, decorated like an old person's living room. It's actually very nice and you can hear throughout the podcast the birds tweeting in the background, so all very idyllic. And thanks to all those people who came to watch, listen and take part at the time on the day with your hangovers. Like I say, it was something different for us. I couldn't have asked for a more charismatic, interesting and inspiring guest for the occasion. Nadan Shah, who was playing the festival joined me to talk about a whole range of things, from watching Lucinda Williams perform the night before to her recently released third album, Holiday Destination, And to be honest, it's rare for an episode to be both so entertaining and so poignant. It was really insightful stuff from the Dean, and along with it some great stories about the likes of Scott Walker, PJ. Harvey and Jomy Corbyn's new curtains. But I'm not going to ruin it. That's all I'm going to say. But I just hope you enjoy listening to it. If you do, please do you subscribe or leave a comment review wherever you're listening. And a massive thanks again to Nadan Shah and End of the Road. This is episode thirty three of Midnight Chats.
Speaker 3: How are you doing, Nadean Chat?
Speaker 1: I'm all right, hanging on by a thread.
Speaker 3: Really not feeling too good.
Speaker 1: A little bit ropie.
Speaker 4: In fact, I played it quite I was quite safe last night and that I watched Lucinda play, who was one of the I think it's one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen. Actually, prior to watching her last night, i'd never even heard about it.
Speaker 1: So it was one of those things when you go to a festival and you.
Speaker 4: Find a real gem and it's very rare that we hear older women's voices in the music industry, and what an inspiration she was.
Speaker 1: It was this.
Speaker 4: But then went to bed pretty early after that, but there was some party animals next door. I mean I felt like this grumpy old keep it down, keep it down, but uh yeah, three hours sleep but hanging.
Speaker 2: In Yeah, And is End the Road one of those festivals that you would come to to go and check out music that you're interesting, because it can't be often when you go and perform at these type of things. It must be the case that you have to turn up, you perform, you leave. But is it sort of end of the road Glastonbury style? Do you try and go to these type of places and come and hang out for the weekend?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I went to Glastonbury this year, but it's it's not really a festival that I enjoy. I know it's the most famous one, but there's I always find out. I have like a list of things that I want to see at Glastonbury, and I see one out of twenty.
Speaker 1: Fave because it's just too big.
Speaker 4: And actually I came to the end of the road two years ago were played, but I was only it was like an in and out job, like a bank robbery. I think it was like three hours and then out to another one. But even those three hours, I was like, this is one I want to revisit. So I'm here the whole weekend and like, yeah, I discovered Lucinda last night. There's loads of bands that I want to see. Unfortunately I missed Goat Girl. I really wanted to see them. But Lemon Twigs are playing after me this evening and I'm really looking forward to seeing them. But I think it's a pretty special festival actually, like the size of it is ace. Everyone's oh, so we'reccommodating and that you get people bringing you with beer.
Speaker 3: Saying nice things. We should just keep saying nice things.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 4: I want if you can get this sound on the podcast, Oh.
Speaker 3: There you go. That's gonna sound crispus.
Speaker 1: That is my favorite noise.
Speaker 3: It's mine too. I think we might have a Probably.
Speaker 4: I was pretty terrible because initially I thought this actually was a midnight chat.
Speaker 1: I thought that would be quite funny for you guys.
Speaker 4: But I mean I told my mother about it before I came, and she'ld like ask what the itinerary was of what I was doing. It's like, well, I'm going to play a gig and then after the show, like at midnight, I'm going to have a chat.
Speaker 1: And my mother was like, no, don't, don't, don't do that.
Speaker 3: Pr shus and say it's not a good idea.
Speaker 4: Oh, she says, I've got the mouth of a fish wafe. So yeah, she's always pretty terrified. I can see her in the audience when I play shows and she's just like what she just terrified about what I'm going to say. She's very proud of me. But yeah, I'm glad this is at midday. But I had to have like a hair of the dog, and I'm glad I've got that in man. Now I feel slightly less nervous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what's what's I've been brought upon pint of water, so maybe I'm kind of like then, you obviously a talent.
Speaker 4: The artist, living up to every type.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: You often go and see other bands other people play live, which I think is interesting because when we speak to other artists, when we have other people on the podcast that we would call like this, They tend to very much kind of concentrate on their own thing, and they might catch a bit of other bands playing, or other artists performing at festivals or at their own gigs, support bands, things like that, but they don't actively go out and go and see shows that regularly.
Speaker 3: You do? How often do you go to a gig?
Speaker 2: And why do you still kind of outside of making your own music, you're still really inquisitive about going to see like live artists.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I treat music as a job, in a proper job, in that it's my trade, you know, And I don't know about you know, whatever industry you're working or whatever it is that you do. You want to be the you know, the best you can be at it, and I'm constantly learning but always inspired by so many other artists. Yeah, I don't go to as many gigs as say a Big.
Speaker 3: Jeff You does everybody know Big Jeff Jeff's.
Speaker 4: At the first If he's not at my show, I'll be devastated. Like, if Big Jeff's are not at your show, it's just not worth playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went to see Kelly le Owens yesterday and he was down the front and I was pointing him out to friends and family that I was with, and I was like, it's a good sign if you've got Jeff there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that man.
Speaker 4: He's a real beauty and he's one of the reasons we do what we do if you're a musician as well, and I just I think he's a really great, great man.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 4: And but yeah, I'll probably go to about three or four gigs a week if I can. I'm just constantly learning from other artists, and I'm also trying to rip them off.
Speaker 3: It's going to say to go with a notepad, right.
Speaker 4: Not a notepad, But I just I want to see what other people are up to and just keep an eye an them. Are you know, just making sure that no one's like stepping on me toes?
Speaker 1: What what's he doing? I'm having that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm constantly going gigs all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was the last mind blowing show that you went to see that you still think about now?
Speaker 1: Last?
Speaker 4: Well, the Lucinda one last night was a pretty special one actually, especially when it's something that you don't but you have no.
Speaker 1: Prior knowledge to it and it's a real surprise.
Speaker 4: Apart from that, what did I see last?
Speaker 1: Can remember? What it's all lost?
Speaker 4: Oh, I've been at a few Rough Trade East in Store shows and I saw Richard Dawson play. Richard Dawson's from my hometown as well. And I mean, like, I'm going to stop going to his gigs because it just makes me want to quit.
Speaker 1: I'm never going to achieve that. Never. He's I think.
Speaker 4: He's he's very special, yeah really, and he's he's unique, you know. And I used to go and watch him back in Newcastle that like before he was like a name everyone knew, not even everyone knows him now. But I'd go and see him at like at house parties and stuff. He just like whip out his guitar. But normally if you're a house party and it gets to that out when someone rips out a guitar, you want to hit him over the head with it. It's just it's the most cringe worthy experience. You're like, oh, it's time to google, it's time when rich When Richard Dawson brings out his guitar, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Probably the closest thing I've ever had to.
Speaker 4: A religious experience watching Richard Dawson play this powerhouse and his lyrics are just like they're phenomenal, Like he's a genius. He has a song called the Veil Stuff and in that song he mentions loads of people that like characters from Newcastle that I know and we've grown up with. And he's just a very clever, brilliant artist. So probably Richard Dawson actually excellent.
Speaker 2: He's just made it to His latest album is called Peasants, so if anybody hasn't checked him out, it's a it's like a medieval concept folk.
Speaker 3: Record, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't describe what it's about because all of his music's a bit too clever for me.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There'll be some article about it somewhere.
Speaker 4: Where and he goes into great depth about it, but it's it's a beautiful album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned the Northeast there, you're from South Shields. Tell us a bit about if people. I mean, I'm hoping that lots of people here are kind of familiar with the Dean and the music that she makes, but for those that aren't, like tell us a bit about growing up in South Shields and your kind of family background and just how you your sort of formative years of music discovery kind of took place.
Speaker 4: Is anybody here ever been to Cell Shields? You have got I recognize you.
Speaker 1: Uncle Dave. Are you doing yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Rough trade easter?
Speaker 3: You were it?
Speaker 1: Are you love? You weren't lying?
Speaker 4: I remember saying to you like your better come and see me, and you did go on all right. Well, one person's been to Cell Shields. It's well a seaside town. Me mother was born in South Shields. My father's from Pakistan. He came over to the UK. Oh, I'm going to get it wrong. I think it was nineteen seventy one from Pakistan and South Shields is always actually like what really grains my gears. There's a lot of people, especially after the referendum, especially after Brexit, people pointing their fingers at the northeast and saying, oh, because they voted leave.
Speaker 1: There was this mass assumption that are racists and it's just not the case.
Speaker 4: In fact, it's a very diverse community Historically in South Shields, because it's a port town. We've had people from all over the world in and out of there. There's a huge Yemeni community. Muhammad Ali got married in a mosque in South Shields.
Speaker 1: I wasn't there.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I was born then, I don't know if I'm going to lie about the stage age or not. If I'm going back my stage age. I definitely wasn't born. But it's a really beautiful place.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I love going back there, but growing up there boring, pretty boring. But I think a lot of people find that with the places that they grow up, you have this this time where you know a lot of people. You leave your hometown and you go elsewhere, and when you get a bit older, you get a little bit more, you get a bit more reflective on things.
Speaker 1: And I love going back there.
Speaker 4: My parents live on the cliff tops overlooking the North Sea, and it's just kind of mind blowing.
Speaker 1: When I go back, I forget.
Speaker 4: I mean, I used to hate it because I think there was this article in the guard You know something I was interviewed for a while back, and it was about musicians that are from seaside towns and I was asking the journalist is there like have you when you've been interviewing people is like a similar thing? They're all saying, is there anything which unites us all? And he said, well, yeah, everyone's saying how bleak it is living in these seaside.
Speaker 1: Towns, and that's for a few reasons, and that.
Speaker 4: I guess before air travel was so accessible and it was so cheap, people would go to seaside towns on holidays and so lots of them are kind of almost like ghost towns now. And you see a lot of on the East Coast, especially a lot of kind of faded glory, these grand, grand buildings, kind of a bit worn down.
Speaker 1: But I think there's also a lot of beauty to that at this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's quite charming, yah, but it is though, there is that, But I think that makes you want to leave because there's just not a lot going on there.
Speaker 1: But I love going back. It's amazing.
Speaker 4: It's a place I might want to go back and make me home there, which I never ever thought. I'd say, I've been in London for fifteen years and I moved to London when I was I'm gonna get me maths, right, I think I was seventeen when I'm to London. I'm thirty one. Now you do the math. So I'll just sing the songs. Richard Dawson would know the figures straight away, the clever bugger. But yeah, I've been in London for a really long time and I love it, but I'm frustrated with it.
Speaker 1: But it's where it's where.
Speaker 4: I kind of cut my teeth in the music industry, and that's where I did only slogging away at gigs was in London, not in the Northeast, because the Northeast was kind of dominated by male bands and it was really hot to kind of get in that clique. A lot of them have embraced me now, which is lush, some good friends with like Maximo Parkfield Music and all in the Future Heads, all that bunch, and they're great, but at the time it was just kind of impossible to get in that scene.
Speaker 2: Okay, why do you think that was what? There was a certain closed mindedness. This is only like ten years ago, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I don't think there was a closed mindedness at all.
Speaker 4: I think it just it just so happened that there were so many of these bands. They were a bunch of mates essentially, and I don't know, I get really frustrated with the mus industry daily about how I think it needs to be a lot more inclusive in so many ways.
Speaker 1: And I don't think that the.
Speaker 4: Music industry at present properly represents how diverse this country is and who is making music. South Asian artists are definitely underrepresented. Female artists are un unrepresented as well in that.
Speaker 1: And also we get there's like loads of issues, like the.
Speaker 4: Term female solo artists just become a genre, which is mad. So I'm getting compare to like Laura Marling all the time. I'm like, wait, I wish I was like Laura Marling, but I'm not. You just kind of get bandied in the same and just get kind of put in the same category and it's weird.
Speaker 1: Hopefully it's changing. I can't remember the question.
Speaker 2: Do you see any signs of positive progress? Because we can talk about this in a bit, but you've been very You've been like a passionate campaigner for they're talking about mental health issues for example, and also you know a quality within the music industry. So do you see any signs in the time.
Speaker 3: That you've been involved with the industry.
Speaker 2: I've made three records, been giging for a long time decade more So, have you seen a big change or not? Do you still think there's an like where are we on the scale. Is there still an awful lot of progress we made?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's loads that needs to be done. Loads. How long we got yeah, right, half an hour?
Speaker 4: Regarding mental health, and that's a really big frustration in mine. I think that there's a lot of responsibility I think lies within management companies and record labels. It's a pretty destructive industry it can be. I mean, I remember my first tour. My best mate Yasmin's here somewhere, oh yeah, but we went out. She came out on tour with me. I was supporting Shakespeare's sister. Only one of them though, Shavn not the good one. And now I love our money to king. I'm only joking. What's the other one called Marcella? No, what's the one called Marcella? Yeah? At the time, I think I was twenty at the time, yas was I twenty twenty one, about ten years ago in it, and people thought that I was Marcella, and I was like, way.
Speaker 1: I'm twenty one years old.
Speaker 4: When I was still kind of flattered though, because it's a babe, but that I mean, I was just twenty one, first ever tour and it was just me and my piano at the time, and my mate yas carrying the piano and every night there was like my rider was just insane. It was like, you know, a bottler whiskey, a bottle of wine and a creative beer. That's not you should not be like you're the environment.
Speaker 1: That you're in.
Speaker 4: Alcohol is so present a lot at the time, and there's lots of things I've had to learn over the past three years of how to make it a much more healthier environment to exist in. Otherwise it's just not it's not it's not sustainable. And there's so many artists, some really sad stories recently of artists that have taken their own lives in the past.
Speaker 1: Year, and it's.
Speaker 4: Pretty scary the figures. And I think we need to get rid of this ridiculous myth, this romanticism of the tortured artist, you know. I mean, look at what happened to Amy Winehouse. A lot of this would have been avoidable, but we Amy Winehouse. It's one of the most heartbreaking stories to date because she was such a talent, and in fact I started out in jazz music playing with Amy years ago in London and it was one of the saddest days when she passed away, but everyone knew it was coming, and it didn't feel like anyone was doing anything about it. But I've been going on lots of panels and talking about mental health in the music industry and what can be done to improve it and to make it a healthier environment for artists to exist within. So at least the conversation starting now, So I think there is a bit of progress there, but there's, like you're saying, there's still a lot, a lot to be done.
Speaker 3: What do you think what are those kind of things?
Speaker 2: Because you've got to look after yourself, but you also need to kind of build a network around you. Presumably that's people like your friend Yas or anybody that's close that you know, you trust, because you can go out on the road for months and months at a time and it's it's it's it's fun, no doubt, but also quite grueling. So what are the things that you think you know? What would you your kind of recommendations be. Do you think it's important you mentioned Amy Winehouse there. Anybody's seen the kind of Amy Winehouse movie, documentary film will know that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's you can point fingers at certain people that maybe it looked like it maybe kind of took advantage or didn't do anything the inactivity of those things. So what what are your kind of recommendations do you think? It's just like, make sure you're working with people who've got, you know that don't just purely have a business brain on them and thinking about checks that are coming in and actually thinking about your well being over that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the biggest revelation for me, which made a lot of change, was when I was just very honest about because I also have a mental health illness.
Speaker 1: It was never diagnosed.
Speaker 4: It's been years and years and years of different different things. People have been saying, maybe you've got this, maybe you've got this, and it now looks like I have. Oh, it sounds really funny. What's it called again, borderline personality disorder, which I just you know, I find quite funny. But I find it actually it's a lot easier for me to discuss mental health when I inject a little bit of humor about it. I try not to be kind of too jovial about the subject because it's very serious, but it is a way for me to open the dialogue, especially when I'm talking to younger people.
Speaker 1: About mental health.
Speaker 4: As soon as I spoke to my management company about it, they implemented little things like maybe after a show, because adrenaline is quite a dangerous thing and it is quite destructive. After a show, I get this real adrenaline high and I'm working on now, You've got to let it kind of dispel. And I can't just be straight after a show. I can't go straight to a merch table. Got to have like about twenty minutes to just kind of come down, let it like settle slowly. Little things like that, so my management won't book in press straight after a show anymore.
Speaker 1: My touring team are all.
Speaker 4: Very aware of my mental health illness. And your touring team become like a little family.
Speaker 1: It's really nice.
Speaker 4: And my tour managers like me ma'am or me Dad, and my band are like my brothers or my sisters.
Speaker 1: You've got long tours and small vans. You've got to get on with them.
Speaker 4: And you can't hide anything on tour either, So there has to be this element of complete honesty. And I'm very unashamed and talking about my mental health illness, and I speak about it very publicly. I was very embarrassed about it. For a long time. But I'm finding now that if I speak out about it, that's encouraging other people to follow suit, which which is the first step to getting better and kind of curating a healthy environment to exist within. But just things like that, it has there has to be an open dialogue there from the start, which is yeah, a lot of it's up to yourself to do that. But as soon as anybody else in your touring party, or your management company or your record label see any of these signs, they need to intervene and have a conversation with you and allow you to have this conversation and be welcoming and understanding. So yeah, I think that's maybe the first step to it.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, let's talk a bit about music. And you mentioned that you grew up listening to a lot of jazz.
Speaker 3: Was that what was at home?
Speaker 2: And like when did you was that like dad's record collection or where did where did like music ender your life?
Speaker 3: Na?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 4: Dad used to listen to loads of Pakistani music, which I hated growing up, like really hated.
Speaker 3: Have you come around to that?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 4: Like I'm obsessed with my father's music yesterday was we call it Pakistani Christmas in my house.
Speaker 1: It was d so ed my Barrick and I did this.
Speaker 4: Radio show yesterday and I played loads of Pakistani music that my father played to me growing up that I used to hate. An artist called made Hussan. It was a guzzle singer and its just like insanely beautiful. It doesn't matter if you can't speak the language and you don't understand what's being said.
Speaker 1: It's just beautiful music. I urge you to go out and listen to some if.
Speaker 4: You let me DJ later on and then play them. There was a lot of that growing up in my house, but never I never embraced it. My mother, she got a pretty cool taste of music. Mom liketually she's pretty cool. Lots of like girl bands like the Shangri Las, the Charell's and the Crystals. Kind of grew up on that and I only really got into jazz music because I had this massive voice, and initially I was like me, man would put us in like a real stage. Mother put me in loads of like competitions, singing competitions, and my go to song was always Mariah Carey Hero. Now I hear there's a karaoke tent on site. And now there's a rule that if you're like a professional singer, you're not allowed to do karaoke. But I think you can bend that rule in that if you're a professional singer, you've got to do impersonations. So if you're there later on, am I either gonna day Mariah Carey Hero or Tina Dinner a private dancer. I think the latter is the is the crowd's choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then.
Speaker 4: My mum gave me a gospel record and I joined a gospel choir and that was a really good place to use this massive voice that I had, which was great. And then from their jazz is and you know, it's only like down the road and around the corner. So then started making jazz music, not making, but singing jazz music. And that's how I started my kind of forry into music.
Speaker 2: I've heard you talk a lot about your mum and your dad over the years, and they sound great. But is it true that in a parallel universe somewhere you could have been the daughter of Scott Walker or Jimi Hendrix.
Speaker 1: I okay, I'm talked about that alright.
Speaker 4: So I look nothing like my mother. I'm not bigging myself up. But she is a total babe, like she's she's such everyone's Mammy's beautiful. She's a really beautiful woman, like inside out, she's a kind of I think she was taller than me when she was younger, like nearing on like near six foot when she was younger, because with the Scandinavian heritage, tall blonde beauty, and in South Shields, believe it or not, there used to be like a thrive in music scene and because it Chad's Chandler from the Animals, he was managing Jimmy Hendrix, and so loads of great bands used to go through South Shields and my mom would go to these shows, but you know, she didn't put out and loads of these like loads of these rock stars would chatter up and she was too shy. So my mom I could have been the daughter of Jimmy Hendrick. So Scott Walker chatted her up once as well, and she declined.
Speaker 1: I would have said, yes, I still I still would.
Speaker 3: Did he get to his show recently?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I had this.
Speaker 4: I'm obsessed with Scott Walker, like I love Scott Walker. And I went to this show at the Royal Albertole recently and there was a bunch of different artists doing versions of his songs.
Speaker 1: I wasn't that enamored by the show. Actually, that's not very nice. No, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: I think one of the problems with that show was that Scott Walker wasn't. There was an interview with Scott Walker and Jarvis Cocker, and Javis Cocker had said to him, pry at the show, do you have any advice for us and what we should do at the show, and Scott Walker said, yeah, just make it new, because that's that's why we're inspired by Scott Walker. I mean, he's still putting loads of us, me and Happiers like to shame because he's making the most like essentially imagine like, what's that band One Direction? It's like that, right, The Walker brothers were like one Direction this boy band, and then Scott Walker is essentially Harry If Harry Styles went off and made the best, like weirdest album, that's Scott Walker. That's what he did, essentially, and just kind of I remember playing my mom some new Scott Walker.
Speaker 1: She was really surprised that I liked him. She was, well, less have a listen then, So I.
Speaker 4: Played an album called Tilt, which is proper experimental. She was terrified and she was really angered by it, like he doesn't sound very well, and I was like, no, Na, he's Mammy's fine. He's actually like one of the most innovative musicians in the world. Just like, well, I think it sounds like a racket, and I was like, well, I suppose so, but I kind of light it and uh yeah. So at the show afterwards, there was like a little bar down the road. There was like a bit of an aftershow type thing. No one knew Scott Walker would be there. And he comes in and I'm buying myself downstairs and he's in front of me, and I'm texting my mates upstairs going and my friend's screenshot it and put it on the internet, and I was really drunk.
Speaker 1: I can't remember writing.
Speaker 4: This, but I just wrote, Scott Walker is two meters away from me, please come downstairs, and then capital let us please help me. Because I knew I was gonna make a total ass of myself because whenever I meet a hero, I always look it up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I just went with the standard like I just got a walk, like you changed my life, and.
Speaker 4: He just went like the thanks very much, kid, Thanks very much and walked off and I was like, I didn't tell us the bugger off, So that so it's a plus because PJ Harvey did. Oh no, I once bumping, Can I carry on as I once bumping?
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: I was recording my second album and we're recording it in South London and I was near London Bridge somewhere on my way to the studio and I was listening to p J Harvey on the way to get RiPP her off.
Speaker 1: A bit and uh.
Speaker 4: On the way there, I saw it and I was like, wow, I don't know what to do, and so I'll just follow her. So she went into like a shop and I was like, waiting outside the shop.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say this. I'm gonna say this is gonna be, it's gonna be gonna best mates. And she came out. I didn't say anything. I froze.
Speaker 4: She went another shop. I thought, okay, I'm going to this time on them. I'm gonna get it. She's gonna get it.
Speaker 1: And she came out and I was like, didn't say anything.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 4: Then she went into a dry cleaners and she came out and the first thing I said, too, is just PG dry cleaning posh.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so PJ. Harvey thinks I'm really cool. Actually tomorrow, no tomorrow. Today we're playing I'm gonna plug the gig at the same time we're playing at half four on.
Speaker 1: Some stage, the garden stage.
Speaker 4: And my regular sax saxophonist, saxophonist, saxomophonist, saxophone.
Speaker 3: Ah, what a play?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my regular sax player. He has a prior engagement. But we've got Terry Edwards, who's PJ. Harvey's saxophone player. He's playing with us. I'm not having told him my PJRV story yet. Okay, I'm gonna save it from maybe on stage. Yeah no, no, I've done it.
Speaker 2: Now. You might get round too. It's on the stage. Hopefully you won't bump into her in like a white Trose or something.
Speaker 1: What she got on my train from Waterloo.
Speaker 4: We came here from Waterloo yesterday and my mate Yasmin, you getting a lot of shouts out, Oh, you're gonna get a shamed If I'm having it, you're having it. We were sat on the train waiting to come whereas at Salisbury Sallysbury, as Yasmin said, and we were sat on the train with our Genet's and that's not relevant. And and I sat there, and y'alls just goes, oh my god, that lady looks just like Patty Smith. And I looked at the window. I was like, you're Dumbo. It's PJ Harvy, just like Patty Smith. I was like, no, it's pg Rvy. And then I thought, right, she's on our train.
Speaker 1: She can't escape me. I'm I get there.
Speaker 2: So you're in the buffet car. She's picked up a nice looking sandwich.
Speaker 1: I just I just didn't know. I sat still. Actually I just fell asleep. I was naked.
Speaker 4: I think there's some fools and me like like that.
Speaker 1: But no, I haven't gotten any I'll get it.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Holiday Destination.
Speaker 2: This is the new album you just put out, and previous records of yours have often kind of you've written songs about yourself and your relationships, and this time around Holiday Destination, it's a record about the state of things the world. It's very you're looking outwards. Did you where did that moment come? That sort of transfer from writing more about kind of what comes from inside you and your kind of like private life to sort of looking out and being wanting to sort of comment on the world and the state of things.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I think it was a virtually impossible to write about anything else.
Speaker 1: My rubbish love life pales in comparison, you know.
Speaker 4: I think it's I also think it's like an artist's duty to document the.
Speaker 1: Times that we're living. My elder brother is a documentary maker.
Speaker 4: To check out some of his films, he's called Kareem Shaw, and so I'm really grateful to him. He's always opened my eyes to so many things happening in the world that aren't front page news. And he's he's a really brilliant man. I'm very, very very proud of him and what he does. And he was making a documentary for Al Jazeera and it was on the border of.
Speaker 1: Turkey and Siria.
Speaker 4: And this is I think it's five years ago or four years ago and up until the and it was in a place called Kills and he was in a refugee camp there and this documentary was about the effects that the civil war was having on children.
Speaker 1: And whenever there's a war or any.
Speaker 4: Any kind of dispute or anything in a country which is happening and to see the effect that it has on children, that they're completely innocent, and it's the most harrowing thing. And he was in a refugee camp making a film about the kids there, and I made the music for it. And that was the first time I knew about this civil war. And I was pretty ashamed that I didn't know about it. But actually I guess myself and a lot of us we can be forgiven because it wasn't front page news. And at that point I knew I had to write about it, and that was my brother's encouragement. I won't say what he said. My brother's encouragement, why don't you write some proper songs and cheers? Bro.
Speaker 1: I love him for it.
Speaker 4: Actually, You've always like if I get a bit a bit like too big for me, Booty always brings you back down to the ground again, and he reminds me of why I do what I do. He's my biggest inspiration, my brother, and so I kind of banked that I had to make something. I had to make something good, and and then it was front page news and they were just the most harrowing images. Every day they're just that they're just staining your mind. And they still haunt me every day and that Ah, it's a subject really close.
Speaker 3: To my heart.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: It's okay, Ah, it's fine.
Speaker 2: I think, like I mean, anybody that hasn't checked out the collection of songs.
Speaker 3: Yet it is.
Speaker 2: It's it's a really deep and powerful, very personal piece of work. And I think that Nadan's just one of a collection of other artists, including other people that you've worked quite closely with, that have decided to kind of write songs about that kind of subject matter. We're talking about the you know, the the crisis in the immigration crisis in Southern Europe, and already just talked about there the Syrian kind of civil war. People like a borrow otherwise known as ghost poet, somebody you've collaborated with before. There are other it seems like a theme this year. I've kind of discovered so many brilliant artists that are that are the thanks.
Speaker 1: Oh, cheers, I've got a kleenex.
Speaker 2: He snuty knows for the record, somebody's just brought us another beer.
Speaker 4: Oh good job, it's not jin imagine what I be like on that on Mother's ruin.
Speaker 2: Just like this is quite a gen surroundings though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's like a Piers Morgan interview now, so we.
Speaker 3: Might go to an ad break. That's all right, he broke it, alright.
Speaker 4: I'm backing, I'm backing, I'm back in jees, I'm sorry. What a softy I'm meant to be this tough goth. But yeah, that's why we made the album. You know, it's just robbly important and like you're saying you've got and actually it's lovely. Like I was pretty scared I make a political album originally because for a few reasons, like dividing an audience, because if they're ever going to have a political rhetoric present, not everyone's going to agree with you.
Speaker 1: But it's so nice to have my peers making music about the same subjects.
Speaker 4: So Maximo Park made a great album also about the current refugee crisis, especially Syria they were focusing on. But it's not just when we're talking about the refugee crisis, it's not just Siria. There's a trayer, Afghanistan, Sudan, so many countries and you know it's really sad to see it's awful. But now that it's not front page news every day, there was a point when I'd finished the record and I thought like, this is an awful like a fleeting awful thought to have. But I was like, you know what, if it all gets sorted, this album isn't going to be relevant. But actually, like, I would be the happiest person in the world if my album wasn't relevant and I had to go and write an album about my crap love life again. I really, honestly, hand on heart, I wish I never had I made this album, and I wish it wasn't relevant, But like the most the saddest thing, it's more relevant than ever because it's not front page news anymore, and there's still people without homes, there's still people making that treacherous, treacherous journey every day and dying in the sea, and so we have to keep talking about it, I know. And we all still need to show our support, and we all still need to keep donating our money or our time whatever we can do. So I'm sorry if I sound preachy, but I am kind of urging yours to go out and keep donating. There's some brilliant, brilliant charities. I'm working with one at the minute called Arda, and they provide medical care for children who have been injured in war and they've just got they've done some amazing work.
Speaker 1: Or help refugees, who are a.
Speaker 4: Huge organization that work in so many different sectors, doing.
Speaker 1: Great work every day. So we've got to keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think now that you've switched modes in your songwriting so to speak, can you ever imagine going back to that style? Because there are always going to be things now, like you know, hopefully you'll be the kind of artists that will going to make ten twenty albums, like they are always going to be things to talk about within the world. Now that you've tried out that start a songwriting, do you feel like you're always going.
Speaker 3: To do that?
Speaker 4: No? Because I cry and interviews all the time. So the next one is a dance record. It's just pure gabba, and yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess, like, yeah, probably you can't put yourself in choosing two years time.
Speaker 4: I've nearly finished right in the next album, okay, And yeah there's subjects and that I'm talking a lot about gender politics and that a lot. But yeah, I don't know really, but I guess I'm because of what my brother said it's kind of really stuck with me, and I think I'm never really proud of work, but I've never felt so happy with them, or like satisfied is the right word with the piece of work that I've made other than this album actually, because I feel like it's I feel like it's kind of important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've probably got about five minutes left. What we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: I've got maybe one more two more questions left in the Dean and then I'm going to ask if anybody else wants to ask a question. Super delighted that so many people have come, by the way, This is really great. We talked earlier about your taste in music and like music discovery. In this autumn, you're going on tour and you're going to take a punk band on tour with you, which I think is great because they're a band called Life from Hull. They're kind of there's a lot of fantastic politicized punk bands in the UK at the moment, artists that we've enjoyed this year, people like Idols from Bristol, Life from Hull Shame. They're playing either later today or tomorrow. Hear at end of the road you're going off on a UK tour, but you've decided to frighten your audience with a band that play heavy punk rock.
Speaker 1: Sorry. Well, I was talking to the lads in Life. They're becoming like me little brothers.
Speaker 4: I love them and I had said to them come and support me on tour and they were like, and I was like, no, no, you know what, the most punk rock thing you can do is not by playing with other punk bands. You know, don't play your regular audience. The most punk rock thing you can do is come and play with me. In fact, the most punk rock thing that could do was support. I don't want to slag off any artists.
Speaker 3: It's late for that.
Speaker 1: You haven't got me out the world ja yet.
Speaker 3: The regular listeners to the podcast.
Speaker 4: I won't say what I've been saying. I've been told off when them off. I'm only joke and actually like them. We just find it funny. They're really lovely people. Yeah, that's what I was saying to Life. I was support support people that you never normally would if you want to, because otherwise you exist within an echo chamber and they have a political message and they have something to say, say it to everyone. Yeah, I find it funny. Saying we've got life support. They're really hard to google as well. The first time I heard them, I was like reviewing them on the round Table. That's Steve la Mackshaw and the song was called in Your Hands. So I just googled like life in your Hands and got loads of self help articles, which actually they were pretty pretty, very useful.
Speaker 3: I Ye, has anybody got anything they want to ask? The dean is it?
Speaker 1: Did I meet Jeremy Corbyn? I've got a story about that.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't meet him on that occasion, but I've met him in the past. I'm a member of the Labor Party. So if you hate them, but yeah, and I need you quit music. Yeah, there was a after was it during the last album or just after the last album? I kind of for a few weeks decided I was quitting music and I wanted to become an MP for sou Shields back home and U So I started in Turning in Westminster.
Speaker 1: So I went to a few different like.
Speaker 4: Labor Party parties and big drinkers and.
Speaker 1: I'm only joking, but the but they all are the old.
Speaker 4: But I met Jeremy Cobyn a few times and his wife as well, who's super inspiring. The work that she's doing in her home country is amazing. And I was at this one. It was like a charity, like a fundraiser for the Labor Party.
Speaker 1: I went to that.
Speaker 4: My dad has a curtain shop in the Northeast and it was in the Northeast, this kind of Labor Party party, and my dad had donated a pair of curtains or like whatever you want, like to have some curtains made was one of the prizes in the raffle. And Jeremy Corbyn's wife puts her hand up and bids on it, and Jeremy's like no no to her, like no, no, no, and she bids and she wins. So I think it's we still haven't given them. I've got to go to Jeremy's house next week and measure his windows. Oh, I'm going to embarrass myself.
Speaker 1: I get it with PJ. Are we with him now?
Speaker 4: Jeremy swags and tails bosh.
Speaker 2: I just want to kind of wrap things up by saying a massive thank you to Na Dean. She's going to be performing later on today on the Garden stage at half past four, so definitely go and check that out. That's all that's left for me to say a massive thank you to Na Dean and we hope you've enjoyed this episode, Thanks very much.
Speaker 5: Choice Ready.
Speaker 1: Midnight Chat is a Loud and Quiet podcast production by Emma Snook Music courtesy of gold Panda.
Speaker 2: Search Midnight Chats on iTunes for more episodes and to subscribe. For more information, visit Loud and Quiet dot com