Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Here's the one one swung on. There goes Kate loved it is high, hell us far hot us gone number sixty two to set the new American League record. Aaron Judge hits his sixty second. All the Yankees out of the dugout to greet him.
Speaker 3: John Sterling, he has retired, is the iconic voice of the New York Yankees. He joins us. Now we are so on behalf of John, of Mike Bloomberg, and all of us here thrilled to have you with us today. I grew up John Sterling on Kurt Goudie, and I love watching Padres baseball, Donnercillo and Mark Grant because they have the energy. John Sterling has the energy that you have that you gave to baseball US and you give game after game. Where did that come.
Speaker 2: From, Mitchie? From inside my being? Whatever the inside my being is. First of all, you should know this. I thought it was kind of nice about Bloomberg Radio. Bloomberg Radio is at eleven thirty on the AM in New York, and when I grew up, that was wnewam and that's where I wanted to work. I mean I thought doing a disc jockey show at WNEW would be the end of the world. Anyway, I've had all this passion inside of me since I was a kid. I knew I was going to be on the air, which was a great thing because I never had to worry about school, which is a good thing because I was a terrible student, and I knew what I was going to do. And lo and behold. Now I've been on the air sixty four years. So as they say enough is enough, well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's been no pun intended a Sterling career. But the issue John Sterling, for so many is you're inenthusiasm is seeping out of the sport. Are the announcers today two numbers oriented to sterilized? I would suggest we need more John Sterling, like, can you come back? Please?
Speaker 2: I cannot come back. I have done it. I've gotten all the You know, Mel Stademayer, the pitching coach, used to go to the mound when the guy was in this final inning and Mel would say, empty the tank. Well, my tank is emptied, and all the wonderful things have said about me, my goodness, that makes you feel so good. But as far as I'm being as toothle as I can. As far as the passion or the energy or the stamina, that's all inside of me. And I never thought I was setting records by broadcasting a game after game empty. It was just what I did for a living and how I supported my family and also something I love doing. So you know what a lucky person I am.
Speaker 1: Well, how about John, I think I speaking for Yankee fans, we were the lucky Ones. Five four twenty regular season and two hundred and eleven playoff Yankee games. Just extraordinary. John, From your perspective, what's one of the biggest changes in the game over your career. I mean there's been so many changes. What stands out to you?
Speaker 2: Well, the last changes have been the best, you know of The pitch clock at all has made the games was so much faster, and all they did was eliminate dead time. It didn't take anything away from the game, so that I like I have hated the launch angle and all that goes with it. I want people to put the bat on the ball, and so you know that's kind of been a change. Pitches not pitching the comesacks say those are dark. So John, just in the.
Speaker 3: Time that we got left with you. You know, I look at all the different players here and we have a wonderful relationship with Jason Kelly with a Rod. Tell us your perspective on the uniqueness of Alex Rodriguez.
Speaker 2: Well, he's a fabulous player who could run and hit and hit for extreme power. He should not have gotten himself into trouble. He didn't need you. He was too talented. But anyway, I always got along great with a Rod.
Speaker 3: John Sterling, congratulations, I guess wonderful ceremonies at Yankee Stadium this weekend. John Sterling, always, forever Yankees Baseball