Speaker 1: He is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys headquarters at the Star and for School.
Speaker 2: Today is Tuesday, January twenty third, and we are officially ninety three days away from the NFL Draft in Detroit, Michigan.
Speaker 3: Welcome in to the Draft Show presented by Miller. Like we've got Nick Harris, Brian brought us Ayisha Morrison.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyle Yeoman's Chris Beam in the back as we break it down for you today, We've got plenty of draft news, Cowboys news, and then coming up very very soon, we're gonna be talking about Senior Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, Shrine Bowl, yes, sir.
Speaker 2: Got some good things coming on the horizon here for the draft, but we've got got some early things to talk about. Brian, it feels like every time the Cowboys get to this time of the year and Cowboys fans are still.
Speaker 3: Watching NFL playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're looking at these teams that are having success, that are moving on and they're saying.
Speaker 3: How can we build that similar direction?
Speaker 2: So I ask you the question, did you learn anything from the divisional round weekend? And these teams that are going to play for conference championships this week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the things that we like to talk about in player personnel evaluations and how to build your team is talking about the middle of your team, the middle of your say, the middle of your defense. Continue to look at what the San Francisco forty nine ers do at linebacker. Continue to look at how teams handle the middle of the field. You look at what Dallas didn't handle the middle of the field well in their playoff matchup against Green Bay Packers. Oh yeah, really, yeah, statistically, you're right. The look at what San Francisco did against green Bay. Everything outside the numbers was fine for the Green Bay Packers. Everything up the middle of that defense was a problem for that team. So to me, when we look at okay, we all know about the line situation, we kind of understand a little bit about the safeties in what's going on here.
Speaker 3: The tackles are another thing.
Speaker 5: But I've always it just reinforced to me that if you're not solid and dependable up the middle of your defense, you're going to have problems in these games. And the San Francisco forty nine Ers are the best example of that.
Speaker 3: To me. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You can look at the Baltimore Ravens too, what they've been able to do on the defensive side of the ball and that linebacking corp that they have, and it's strong. It's strong. You look at the teams that are still playing and what they kind of have in common, it's things that the Cowboys don't have. It's very clear that it needs to be addressed.
Speaker 2: It's run game, it's interior defensive line, it's linebackers. I mean, it's a little bit of everything. I issue whenever you look at the teams that are winning these games and then the style that they're.
Speaker 3: Winning it too, because they can win in different ways, that's part of it.
Speaker 2: And then Cowboys can win in different ways too, Let's not get it twisted. But whenever it comes to that way, specifically that physical ground game and controlling the trenches, you just don't have that.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, and one thing that stands out to me, and that stood out to me when you talk about all those teams, they're good at twelve personnel.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because it counters.
Speaker 6: A lot of what teams like to do this defensively, especially when you talk about the nickel and how teams use it, and so to me, the lack of Cowboys ran.
Speaker 8: I don't know how much twelve personnel they ran this year.
Speaker 6: They had a lot of success in eleven, which was kind of to me the opposite of last year.
Speaker 7: They had more success than twelve personnel.
Speaker 6: I really think moving into next year, I want to see them be more stout there to counter some of the things that teams do defensively and be able to move the ball efficiently.
Speaker 2: Is that possible to revamp that entire physicality though in one draft?
Speaker 3: We've been talking about this for two years with the Dallas Cowboys. To be honest with you guys, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean if we've all covered this team long enough and understand it that, you know, it was two years ago that the draft was all about going out and getting tougher guys. They stood up on the podium there and told us about they needed to be tougher, they needed to be more physical. We're still talking about it here, you know, and you kind of felt like that, you know, maybe lst year with the draft with you know, the first couple of picks, I was linking up with Mozzie Smith, the three hundred and twenty nine pound defensive tackle. I was thinking about a physical tight end at the point of attack. You know, those things didn't work out for them. I think they're still chasing that physicality, you know, demeanor, if you want to say, for their football team.
Speaker 7: I have a question to that.
Speaker 6: When you think about the Cowboys roster, who are the gentlemen that you think about that are physical?
Speaker 2: The first one I think of is Tyler Smith up front? Young in terms of like young guys that you're going to have for moving forward for a significant amount of time. I think of Tyler Smith Nick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sitting here thinking Tyler Smith ceedee laman route running this past year. He showed a lot more physicality this past season. But like, if we're talking about guys you would like to see on the defensive side of the wall be a little bit more physical, like Donovan Wilson obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Aside from that, it's it's tough to really you'd be reaching.
Speaker 3: Would you throw Osa in there?
Speaker 4: First eight games? Osa?
Speaker 3: See this is this is the thing that we have to figure out too.
Speaker 5: And that's a great point you made, And to your point, I think it's Wilson, I mean to.
Speaker 3: Your question, I think is so smart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think if you said, who's the smartest player you have on your defense, I would.
Speaker 6: Say And so my follow up question of that is, well, the way that I processed it is the way besides Tyler on the offensive side of the ball, on the defensive side of the ball, your physical guys.
Speaker 7: Are your older guys, some of your older guys. That's a problem.
Speaker 3: That's that's a problem.
Speaker 6: Your young guys should be outlasting and being more of that physical presence. And I think that that's something that some of what you saw even in the playoffs is like you're looking for those young guys with fresh legs to come out and give you something because those older guys are they're they've been working their tails off, So I'm looking that's another thing too. I think this also plays back into the lack of contribution that you got from your draft class. Sure, and also to just that to your point, we've been talking about physicality for a while. It's just been some of these older gentlemen, these veterans, veteran gentlemen that are setting that zone. I was looking for some of the young guys to kind of match that, or you bring in some guys to match that.
Speaker 5: I wonder where the disconnect is with Okay, just just if you could summarize what do you think they were looking for in this last draft class if you had to, if you had to say in just a few words.
Speaker 3: You know, it's hard for me to say. I think you were trying to pigeonhole needs. I think at some.
Speaker 5: Point see that whatever they did in that regard of the prep to build their board that way, they need not to go that direction, you know. And this this team has done a really good job of drafting the best available player they really have.
Speaker 3: When when you.
Speaker 5: Think they're going to take that defensive end from L. S U when they really needed and they take C.
Speaker 3: D Lamb.
Speaker 5: You know what, I'm saying that to me, maybe they need to go back and evaluate that. And maybe they were trying to get tougher and it didn't work out. They didn't pick the tough guys like you say, I issould maybe the young guys aren't stepping up like but I wonder what you guys thought about what you thought their plan was.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't qualify this as far as the first two picks that they made with Mazzie Smith and Luke scoon Maker, but you look at what they drafted to look at it on paper, it looked like they were going for positional flex. You look at what Tyler was able to do in his first season moving from tackle to guard. Hey, I like that. Let's look for some more guys that could do some things like that.
Speaker 5: That gets in trouble though, sometimes because I saw I saw Tyrone Crawford, I saw him get just you know, he went from being I thought a really good player too.
Speaker 3: They started moving him around too much. Is he an end? Is he a tackle? You know?
Speaker 5: The position flex thing I think is fine to a point, but when it becomes the thing that you're hanging your hat on, then I think you get in trouble that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's also interesting thinking that way specifically going into this year and having a draft class centered around that, and then you have the conversation of Tyler Smith and his position flex and they say, you know what, We're not gonna move him at all. Yeah, We're gonna situate him in one specific spot. So it's almost like going counter balancing what you were trying to accomplish in the first place.
Speaker 4: What did you did you It was just looking at more of the other guys, you look at overshown that has that safety linebacker flex, he can even rush the passer a little bit. Looking the fourth round, Villiami Fijoko, as soon as he was drafted, the word was, okay, he can move inside to move outside. Fifth round, you look at Austin Richards. Yeah, we think he can move inside to guard. We think he has some ability there. I mean, you're even talking about Masie Smith. The first thing that came out of their mouth was we think we can unlock a little bit of a pass rush in him. So like being able to have a little bit added element to their game. I mean you can look at all the draft picks after Schoonmaker and really find something as far as versatility.
Speaker 6: Goes, what's the okay, So in order to do that, what do you need time?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: All those players you talked about, I mean, besides maybe like an overshown, I thought he if he hadn't got injured, he could have made an immediate impact. But all those things that you're looking you're talking about require development and require time. Babe, you didn't have time this year. Yeah yeah, and you needed them this year. And so to me and again like this is how I viewed this draft class, I felt like it was a very support draft class. I personally thought the Cowboys looked at what they did in free agency with getting step On and then also getting Brandon Cooks, I thought they felt like they filled those needs that maybe they would have went and attacked in the draft, and they were comfortable, maybe a little too comfortable with their starters, with their roster, and so the guys that they added were, oh, we'll give them a year and let them develop or whatever. I personally thought they were a little too confident in the roster that they had going into this season, even though they did some good things. And like I said before, those gentlemen that a lot of the gentlemen they drafted require time and you should have been trying to win this year.
Speaker 2: So kind of based off that point in switching the attention back to the twenty twenty four draft class, out of the individuals and the prospects that you guys have watched to this point, do you feel like this class is better suited for.
Speaker 3: A toughness thought process for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Or maybe a ready made time to play now, like ready for the n Pro ready stuff.
Speaker 5: You know what, when I look at these when I look at the projections of the guys that could be centers, you know, I do. We've talked about Barton and we've talked about the Oregon kid. I think there is an element of toughness to those two guys. I really really do. So I find myself in my notes. I don't know about you, guys. When I'm watching, I just type and I'm like, man, this guy plays hard. This guy looks like he loves the game. I'm typing that a lot more on these players than I believe I have in the past.
Speaker 3: And maybe maybe.
Speaker 5: That's my fault, Aisha, because I'm looking for those guys.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm looking.
Speaker 5: Because I know this team needs younger, but more of that toughness element to it.
Speaker 3: You're looking for grit.
Speaker 6: It's funny that you guys say that, because I literally wrote in my notes as I was looking at even the wide receivers, I was like, ah, nice to be back to normal, because last year, when you looked at to your point about the grit and the toughness, I do think there's a lot of old school type players in this draft. Even when you look at the tight end room, I think there are some guys that I've received qualities, but these are just tight.
Speaker 7: Ends, you know what I'm saying to me. And even with the.
Speaker 6: Running backs that I've looked at, it's not a whole bunch of super finess, special stuff. They're just running backs like they can just run the ball efficiently. And when you talk about the offensive all that stuff, it does feel like a kind of turning back the clock less fancy schenchy.
Speaker 8: Could it be with older players fundamentals?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well the COVID year of adding another year and making guys a little bit fifthier guys or six year guys.
Speaker 6: Now, you do see more polished from certain from certain players. I do think since I've been looking, I'm more so like, oh.
Speaker 7: He looks like he gets the position.
Speaker 6: Oh he has a good feel for the position, or you can tell he's been doing this for a while. I think I do think I see more of that this draft so far, so far?
Speaker 4: Can I be a for a moment when it comes to toughness as far as.
Speaker 2: Nick goes into from every now and again, and it's phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Okay, So we talked about Jackson powers Johnson last week, and all of these are going to point towards warg Yeah. Remington Award winner is the nation's best center this past year. Phenomenal. I mean, we talked about it last week. I think enough. I mean he's a guy that's a maller upfront. CO signed Cedric van Pran Granger out of Georgia. So I'm gonna give you a quick story on him. He's out of Warren Easton in New Orleans, one of the more story programs down there in New Orleans. So he was in a practic got into a practice fight a couple of years ago with one named Bear Alexander. I mean, this is public news, so I'm not breaking anything here. Got into a public had got into a fight with Bear Alexander in the middle of a practice Bear Alexander is a bear. He's at a Didton and Ryan High School. Six three, three hundred and twenty pounds. There was a clear winner in that fight between those two guys, and the next day Bear Alexander was in the portal. So so yeah, yeah, yeah, Now he's at USC, He's gonna be a guy. Honestly, he's gonna be a guy. We talked about in the fast three round next year. He's a dog, but it was shocking because I mean he beat I don't want to say that he got into a fight with a guy who entered the portal the next day. But you look at him on the field, he has that toughness on the field, he has that New Orleans grit down on the field. There's there's He's a really intriguing guy that I think you could look at in the middle rounds if you're still looking for a center at that point, really like what he brings to the table. Now, if you're looking on the defensive side of the ball, I really like Peyton Wilson at of North Carolina State. He's a wrestling state champion out of North Carolina. He brings that type of you know, a type of physicality to the field. Over four hundred tackles in his time with a wolf Pack. I mean, he could have gone anywhere. Alabama, Michigan, these all these programs were all over him. He decided to stay home and go to North Carolina State and as a result he was able to start all four years. Really stack some confidence, stack some reps. He's a guy I really like as a lineback, linebacker option in the middle rounds as well.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. A lot of people comparing him.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched him yet, so if you guys have watched him, give your scouting report. But a lot of they're saying it's very comparable to Steve Avilah last year from TCU in terms of his his footwork.
Speaker 3: And his grit and his size.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a lot of things that they compare with just based off of what I'm reading here about.
Speaker 3: Uh Van Pran? Is that how you say his name? Van Prant?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he'sphenating his name. It looks like he' hyphenating his name in the draft process of prand Granger. I always knew him as a Van Pran whenever I was covered from high school. But looks like we got a Granger as a hyphenated name. So school I spelled yeah for sure?
Speaker 3: Anybody else that Even on the defensive side.
Speaker 2: I know we're talking offensive line specifically, but is there a defensive size side where your your physicality can play a factor.
Speaker 4: We're gonna talk about defensive tackles later, right.
Speaker 3: A little bit different save it, save it?
Speaker 4: I don't want to, but we could look at a couple of edge guys, I mean, Jared Verse out of Florida State. This is a guy that transferred in from Albany. I mean, he didn't have anything going on whenever he was out of a high school recruit and whenever he entered the portal out of Albany A couple of years ago, he was one of the hotter prospects in the entire portal top five portal prospect with all the websites that do portal rankings, and he went Florida State, and he shows that. You could also look at Chop Robinson out of Penn State. He's a late first early second round guy that has a lot of that physicality as well that you like off the edge, Like Chop is a name, Yeah, thousand percent. And we talked about lotso in his size and how he's kind of got a little Joey Bosa to him. So, I mean, there's some guys in this class I really enjoy.
Speaker 2: So you said Chop Robinson out of Penn State. We got to get better at saying that the school names afterwards.
Speaker 3: I got from UCLA.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: What were the other names you mentioned?
Speaker 4: Jared Verse out of Florida State and the man one more that I could throw in if y'all remember that Colorado Colorado State games. Everybody right now at Kamara, yep, Mohammed Kamara. Yeah, man, he's he's a dog and that was that was the number one state.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: He was the reason Colorado State was even in that game. And then he had some some personal foul penalties that yeah, and I mean he was throwing bows.
Speaker 3: In the in the sideline.
Speaker 4: He made a lot of money that day.
Speaker 5: Yet me tell you this, this kid has got some DeMarcus Lawrence to his game and the way he plays the run. I mean he is he can rush the passer, but you cannot run on the outside.
Speaker 3: Of this guy.
Speaker 5: He's a shorter guy, he's six ' one, he's two fifty, but man, he's got some complete traits as far as when it comes to getting rid of blockers, getting up field, kind of having an ideal of angling inside, making a play behind the line of scrimmage. I mean you look at him and he's just when he rushed, I mean he comes screaming off that edge. And I mean I have a lot of respect for his game because again, when you brought up Tank, I always think of that complete guy, the guy that can play the run, can play the pass, smart show, toughness, make plays. This kid's got some of those traits to him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, to that point, I'm definitely gonna I feel like I'm gonna take a deeper dive into edge because now that y'all are talking about it and I'm thinking about the Cowboys roster as a hole, Yeah, maybe you might know you might need to go get one or two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think absolutely you do, especially when you look at the size of discrepancy that I think you look at with what the Cowboys have versus what other teams in the league have. You're probably gonna lose a couple of bodies there with Dante Fowler going out being a free agent at least, So you're yeah, I think you need to beef up the edge. I think you have to take a pick somewhere.
Speaker 5: There's a kid you're gonna like at Utah, Jonah Olias. He reminds me of Will McDonald and I knew and then you and you really really liked Will McDonald a lot on that On that, uh, you had some really good notes about Will McDonald. But Jonahlias his dad played for the Lions and he's currently the coach. Is the coach at Utah. His dad's a defensive line coach, but he plays. He's an edge for them. He's got some you know, when you start to talk about rushers and things like that, I think when you get into your edges, you're gonna like him.
Speaker 6: Y'all noticed that that it's a lot of legacies in this draft.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of them, and it seems like they're second.
Speaker 7: I don't even know.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's a lot of coaches kids yet often well the thing that it is though to me, and it's and I'm the far oldest guy in this group, so I've scouted their dads too. It's nice to see their sons have the type of success. There's some players, like, there's some players in this draft that their dads were really really good players and they're even better players than their dad was nice, which is I think is a neat thing to see.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it.
Speaker 9: All.
Speaker 2: Right, time to take our first break. When we come back, we're gonna do some Twitter on the twenty. We promise we're gonna get to more than one answer today. It's gonna happen. We're gonna do more than one Twitter on the twenty question Draft show continues right after this.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped the.
Speaker 3: Press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 5: Prescot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he's score.
Speaker 10: Whether you are new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 9: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Lasercare Eye Center, I can see near, far, and between.
Speaker 10: Don't fumble your vision any longer, Visit them.
Speaker 9: At dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center, they got me back on my game.
Speaker 11: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and nnilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 12: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Issai or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Vernola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch, and that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King. The official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: Is the Dallas Cowboys dot Com Draft. Up for some Twitter on the twenty do we the sounder?
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on in the back back there, but we're back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: It's time for Twitter Twitter, I say, talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: There's a lot going on right, Yeah, we're.
Speaker 3: Breaking the fourth wall here, everybody.
Speaker 2: We're making it work, all right, welcome back in time now for Twitter on the twenty. The first question that I have is from Anthony. He says, with the lack of middle round picks this year, would you not consider trading a high pick for an established player?
Speaker 4: Run so you lack.
Speaker 2: The fourth the fifth round picks, Does that deter you from trading a high value pick one, two or three from getting an established player that's already in the league.
Speaker 3: Would you rather draft those positions?
Speaker 4: You need the picks you have now, if that's what they're asking, trading a pick for a big time yeah pick from that, Yeah, you need the picks.
Speaker 5: I don't think you don't, folks, don't get discouraged out there without having middle picks. You can get middle picks. People will move around in the draft. You can move back three spots. You could pick up a third, you could pick up a four, you could pick up a fifth. You're going to get some compensatory picks. Don't let that bother you in this thing. Don't don't, I mean, don't look. Don't focus on the number right now you have. What you focus on is the number as the draft is going along. You know, that's where I've I've never felt like, you know, moving picks on. You know, it never was a problem for me because I knew. I said, Okay, if I want to move back three spots right now, I can pick up a four, you know. So don't don't let this discourage you. That Stephen Jones and Will McLay, those guys, they know how to play the board, They know how to play the trade chart.
Speaker 3: You know they can.
Speaker 5: They can get picks back in this thing. Don't let this bother you right now. That made me feel so much better.
Speaker 3: Really, don't know that room. I've set that room for thirteen years doing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, if somebody will always call you for the opportunity to pick up a pick, you know, and you can't.
Speaker 3: You can, you can, you could absolutely and you don't know.
Speaker 5: You might be able to trade one you're players for a pick, But don't don't feel like that this is the final product of what you're going to have.
Speaker 3: There's going to be opportunities of phone calls, the.
Speaker 5: Ability to move up, move back, and you could pick up picks along the way. I never it's never the final number right now. The final number is when Commissioner Cadell stands up there and say, welcome to the twenty twenty four NFL Draft.
Speaker 3: Now we're playing.
Speaker 5: Now, we're going to go get some picks, or we're gonna sit here and make the picks we got.
Speaker 2: Would you deter away from taking those picks or would you try and do what Brian's doing and massage the board to go get some more?
Speaker 6: Oh no, I personally think the Cowboys are going to maybe be a little bit more aggressive than what they've been in past years. If you don't feel the urgency in this building, I think you're living in a fairy tale land as far as what they need to do to get to the next level. And I do think it isn't the same way that we look at this past draft class. They are looking at it too. Yeah, they're looking at the lack of production and stuff too. So I do think that to next point, I think keeping your picks is going to be important. But I think when that day comes, you should be you should be active, and phone should be ring ding ding And you understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Stacey asked the bigger priority on the offensive line when taking into or taking value and depth into consideration, is the bigger priority center or left tackle?
Speaker 7: Center?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 7: For me?
Speaker 4: For me, I think it's left tackle. I think that's more.
Speaker 3: We've got a debate.
Speaker 4: I think it's more of left tackle because let's say Tyren Smith is not in the building next year, who's your left tackle?
Speaker 7: Probably awesome.
Speaker 4: If Tyler Biatis is not in the building next year, then who's your center, we don't know, Probably a TJ.
Speaker 7: Baby.
Speaker 4: I think there's better depth right now at center than there would be a left tackle.
Speaker 3: Because you've seen Bass and Hoffman play. Yes, okay, that's fair.
Speaker 6: But I think you can you can't hide no center, honey, Yeah, you can help out out of tackle, but.
Speaker 4: They need both. That's that's for sure.
Speaker 7: That's fair.
Speaker 6: But I do think that the center's inability to well Number one, I just feel like them getting at the second level. I feel like that was a huge problem this year. And so for me, I'm looking at and when we talk about, Okay, what are these other offenses do well in the league. Maybe they get out in space and they let their guys that get to the second level consistently. We didn't see that this year, and I do think it had a lot to do with the middle of that offensive line, specifically Sooner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you one percent to all those points. I just think you'll end up having a bigger issue if you don't have a starting left tackle.
Speaker 6: No, I mean importance is I mean, that's the blind side. And I do get it, and I am sad that we need not get to see Awesome in any capacity this year. It was kind of weird to me because there were times where I thought, you know, if Idoga couldn't go, I'm thinking, Okay, well let's see what this rookie got, and we didn't get a chance to see him play. So I do think it puts you in a weird place evaluation wise, of like, we don't know what we're getting from this player right now.
Speaker 3: For real, Nick, what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna kick that.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna kick that left guard to left tackles. I'm gonna put I'm gonna put Bassett left guard, and I'm going to draft a badass center and we're gonna start running the football.
Speaker 7: I think you can get busy with that too, to be honest, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well they won't do it.
Speaker 5: But you know, Brian brought his failed scouts sitting here on the draft show today, would say that to me, I feel like I can protect myself. You're right, they one of the I think the two main reasons they couldn't run the football. They weren't good enough at center and then and at times he was good, but not all the time consistently consistency, you know. And he's a free agent, right I think they're going to probably move on from that. You know, this this team, it's easy to say, oh, we'll go out and get Travis Frederick. You know, well that's hard to do. But but to me, I think you could get more a bigger player, a more physical player, and one to Ayish's point that not only could work the scoop in the reach game, but also get second level. And we always talking about cut the defense and half what the Packers do. They cut your defense and half ball comes to the presses and then it comes behind the center.
Speaker 3: Big game.
Speaker 5: You know, Dallas needs to get back to playing football that way.
Speaker 2: And there was really no point whenever you're watching in the film of Tyler Biondish cutting the field in half, if.
Speaker 5: He held his ground, that was a good snap for he gave you everything he has. I mean, the kid is a he's a great human being. He you know, he learned along the way. He got better with his calls, the protection stuff like that.
Speaker 3: It's just limited what he can do. You have a badass center, you can do a lot of things on your offense.
Speaker 6: So but in regards to your your idea of maybe TJ. Bass being the left guard Tyler, do you want to take away from TJ Bass's swing ability?
Speaker 7: Do y'all look at him as maybe.
Speaker 3: I think he could start.
Speaker 6: I think he could start too, But holy crap, it was real nice to know that if Warn went down or with the value that he has a point about the tackle though I do acknowledge that he's right.
Speaker 3: I know acknowledged that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, two things can be true at one guys.
Speaker 2: Are you guys feeling okay at right tackle too? Do you feel okay with Terren Steel and what he gave.
Speaker 4: I'm okay with not having to address it until potentially next offseason.
Speaker 7: Yes, because you got to get pay the guy.
Speaker 3: I think it's fair a little bit of hesitation there.
Speaker 6: I do think it's fair to give him some time, but also too, we talked about it.
Speaker 7: It wasn't just about the players, it was it was.
Speaker 6: A lot of scheme too, And I'm like some of the things that he does very well when he was able to do them, especially in the run game, you saw some of who he was even last year, so I'm waiting to see personally.
Speaker 5: Him and Martin were so much better last year together, and the tight end really hurt him this year. I mean, Ferguson is Ferguson is so much better than Dalton Schultz in my mind, you know, just so much better. But the blocking aspects of things. They tried to address it with Schoonmaker and Tysha's point, and she's absolutely right. Give Schoonmaker another year, Give schoonmaker, the opportunity to be in the weight room, and not that Michigan has a poor weight room and all. Trust me, I've been at Shimbeckler Hall. That thing is like a you can It's amazing how big that places. But to me, you've got to be able to be better at the point of attack with your tight ends and also with your center. Those are the two areas I think if I could get those two areas taken care of, I'll work on the right tackle.
Speaker 3: Getting him right what you.
Speaker 4: Get, Yeah, I agree completely. I was talking about right tackle. Whenever we're talking about Terrence Steele. It's like, yeah, I think that's something to move on for potentially next offseason and things don't go well next year. One quick thing I want to touch on as far as TJ. Bass goes, though, I mean, I think if you focus him in on right guard and let him be the successor to Zach Martin, then that's probably your best opportunity. Sure, let him develop. I wouldn't want to throw him in a starting position. He could he start next season, I think he could, but don't. I don't want to put that position on him.
Speaker 5: You know what it's and I give you a lot of credit for this, because you were talking about TJ.
Speaker 3: Bass quite a bit last year.
Speaker 5: You did, and you were talking about why is nobody talking about this guy more.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right about him.
Speaker 5: Talking to guys around the league, scouts around the league, they're like, we miss this kid. We totally miss this kid because he should have drafted. He should have been drafted. You know, there's a lot of guys he played better than, you know, with the opportunity he had. So I kind of feel like that, to me, I think he's a starter. I just do. I just feel like that he showed me enough to where you know, it's not going to be perfect with your offensive line, but gosh, he's better than a lot of guys that got drafted that I saw play this year. You know, the opponents with the Cowboys, I'm like, man, it's a bad guard. That's another bad guard. That guy's really a bad guard. You know, this kid when he played, I didn't hold my breath like AIChE Lens, like, Okay, let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: But you were right about him.
Speaker 2: You kind of see it in training camp too, just the physicality and the tough Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's Ricky in the class.
Speaker 3: He really was.
Speaker 2: And he's got some uh he's got some rapport with one Jackson powers Johnson for Morgan ser just by the way. Along that same line, Cowboys aunt says, if you had to guess the first round pick today, who would it be? Position and players?
Speaker 3: I like this.
Speaker 5: It is so early, so I mean you're not we figured out late in vandrush in March.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 5: We actually did wed January. We had, we had January got.
Speaker 3: A little bit again.
Speaker 4: It feels like every mock draft on the planet is penning Jordan Morgan to the Cowboys. And that's something I'm gonna touch on a little bit later on Dallas Cowboys dot com. But I mean, you talked about Jordan Morgan last week. That's a guy that makes sense at left tackle. He's got so many reps, so many snaps playing there at Arizona, he'd be a guy that's you know he maybe maybe maybe they already watching the draft shows all we could do is he's a really good player.
Speaker 3: He is a very good player. But I'm sorry, no, you're good.
Speaker 4: As far as that as other other potential first round options, I know we stopped it over there. We have potentially looked at Amarus Mims if he was able to fall. I think if a Marius Mems fall to twenty four, that's a guy you take over Jordan Morgan in my book. But yeah, there's it's a really good tackle class, and I'm very interested to see how quick they fly off the board or not quick at all. You know, I wonder if there's a first round type talent that could slip to in the thirties or the forties whatever.
Speaker 3: So it feels like the last couple of years we've been hoping for that.
Speaker 4: I mean exactly, you were kind of hoping that for the tight ends in the second rounds.
Speaker 3: You were hoping.
Speaker 2: Hope is never a strategy, but there were times that you were looking at this board and you're saying, hey, things are shaping up really good.
Speaker 3: We're about ten picks.
Speaker 2: Away and then boo boom, eight of your nine picks have gone off the board.
Speaker 3: And then you got to kind of take a point. How bad are Peyton Peyton Wilson's injuries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it definitely scares you. He does have two. But yeah, I always factor that in. That's a really important context and data point whenever you're looking at you know guys and whever you're evaluating them. For me, I look at the production that he's had this last season and what he looks like as far as movement and lateral movement. Yeah, he can still get around. I mean he had one hundred and thirty eight tackles in twelve games. So I got flies to the.
Speaker 7: Ball to come in.
Speaker 5: This guy's Jack Campbell to me from Iowa. But yeah, that's that's Peyton. Peyton Wilson's Jack Campbell.
Speaker 4: Twenty one had a season ning shoulder injury and early in the season, and then twenty eighteen he had a second knee injury his freshman year, and he had an initial knee injury in high school. But he's been healthy these last two seasons, hasn't missed a game, been really productive, won a Comeback Player of the Ward Comeback Player of the Year award in the ACC in twenty twenty two. So I, yes, yes, definitely a point. Yeah, like you almost wonder, I wonder if there's value there for a guy linebacker enough injury.
Speaker 5: It's right down Dallas's path to take a banged up linebacker that's productive.
Speaker 7: They they haven't learned from it yet.
Speaker 3: I hope, I hope.
Speaker 5: You know what if I had to make a if I had to make a prediction, they love the plug and play offensive lineman. I think they're taking Edjuring Cooper, the linebacker from Texas A and M Ooh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad pick either.
Speaker 3: Linebacker twenty four.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm not gonna find nobody on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that to me. This this kid, and we talked about it. But he's got some overshown tendency to him too when you watch him. I mean he might be maxed out his way, but the guy had ten sacks, He could rush the passer. He does a lot of things. But if I had to say a January prediction Edrin Cooper Texas A and M at their pick.
Speaker 3: What would be the reaction from the fan base?
Speaker 2: The defensive player, Yeah, defensive player, but it's a linebacker.
Speaker 3: It's a linebacker and that's all.
Speaker 5: Yeah that this team, this team they played dime six seventy percent of their snaps this year because why they didn't have linebackers.
Speaker 3: I do have a c that's not unforcnate there.
Speaker 7: I'm afraid of though. Is to your week you were talking, you mentioned it earlier.
Speaker 14: Nick.
Speaker 6: In regard to flexibility, I do think that the flexibility of players is starting to become a band aid more for this team.
Speaker 7: WHOA to me, I think I.
Speaker 6: Like that the team has, like the players have flexibility. But I'm looking at some of these gentlemen, I'm like, yeah, they ken so Edrin Cooper, I think he can play every spot in the linebacker position.
Speaker 8: I don't want him to do that, though. I want him to find a home and do that and do that successfully.
Speaker 6: I felt like that's actually what happened to the Marionno overshown in his career, is that he was always moving spots, different coaches, different whatever. I'm looking at Edren Cooper, and that's the only thing. That's what I'm saying. It's the only thing I'm kind.
Speaker 7: Of like about.
Speaker 6: If you're gonna bring him in here, is he gonna be your mic who whatever.
Speaker 7: He's gonna be.
Speaker 6: Make him that, don't make him start playing out. We've seen it with the Monk Clark. We've seen it with other players where they're playing position out of necessity. They're playing different linebacker roles than what they originally.
Speaker 7: Were good at.
Speaker 8: And I didn't like I know, I know I don't like that no more.
Speaker 7: I'm I'm I'm I'm over that you play.
Speaker 3: One position and stick to it.
Speaker 8: Not Parsons don't count.
Speaker 2: I feel like, even now, though you need Parsons to pick a side, what what is what does Michael Parsons say to your defense. I know he's incredible and he can do a lot of things, but like, pick a spot and let's let's roll.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I do think it causes confusion and things.
Speaker 7: When there's injuries and stuff.
Speaker 6: You need real backup linebackers. You need real like you need that. It can't That's what I mean. It's like, I think some of the versatility is great, but with someone like Edrin Cooper, I'm looking I'm looking at him.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking he can play every look, he can play Mike. He can that's great. What does he do the best? Put it in.
Speaker 5: Okay, then I'm gonna I'll give you a guy. I'll give you a guy that I think will play just one position at linebacker. Tommy I can berg from Ohio, so Tommy I can work from Ohio State is a Mike linebacker and he plays like he shot out of a cannon. He's a full speed player. He tackles really well. You know, he covers. I mean he's you can you can you can play him in coverage. He's not going to be a liability like he can carry routes. You know, he's got a feel for how to work through gaps.
Speaker 3: And cracks and mean he attacks.
Speaker 5: If you want a guy that's just a true linebacker type player, I think that Ikenberg would be that guy for me.
Speaker 6: Because we were talking about earlier, what's the difference between the teams that you're watching now, and hey, guess what, Fred dude, Yeah play the same spot.
Speaker 7: That's what green law do ye play the same spot? Because I do also to.
Speaker 6: Think when you talk about the development of the player, linebackers a lot and so you want them to just get that position. But when you're constantly moving them around, I think it can be detrimental early for some of these players.
Speaker 7: So I'm like, I want you.
Speaker 3: I want Trotter so bad.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't know if I don't know if they'll do it with a six foot two thirty linebacker.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what would be so funny if the Dallas Cowboys have a linebacking corps that has a Texas guy and a Texas A and M guy. It would unite sets.
Speaker 7: Together, would I would probably think?
Speaker 3: Who would be your pick? Who's your who's your first overall pick? Twenty fourth overall pick?
Speaker 7: Like a person?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Can I say a position?
Speaker 3: No? A person in a position?
Speaker 6: I want a specific well, because he keep taking, he keep taking.
Speaker 7: All of mine.
Speaker 3: I'll give you one.
Speaker 5: I throw like seven guys out there with a hope that one of them going to hit.
Speaker 3: Take the same guy.
Speaker 5: If you want no, if you really really believe it, I'm taking Graham. It would make me feel better if you who do you take?
Speaker 3: Graham? Barty?
Speaker 2: Okay, I got one, but going defensive tackle, That's that's where I'm going.
Speaker 3: I mean, you need a big meat to check those injuries there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there might be some injury background, but that might be why he's there at twenty four. That might be why he's there. So six foot five, three fifteen, he moves well. And I like the way he played Center's freshman year. I talked to a scout about him.
Speaker 5: I said, hey, am I on am I on my drugs thinking this guy could play center. Because now he played Center's freshman year. I think he goes the guy. My guy said, because I think he has to play inside. Oh bit, but that's that's yeah.
Speaker 3: So so then you could you can kick your left guard out.
Speaker 2: The left tackle. He can put Tyler Smith out there. He's a left tackle the future. Like you initially playing, you're playing right now. Nick just totally hates your playing.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it. Hey, you've got some guys up front. I want somebody that can finish.
Speaker 2: And Barton finishes at the point of he plays past the whistle.
Speaker 3: He's a dude, what's your position? Just give me the position. You're don't have to say a player, just give me the position.
Speaker 7: It would be linebacker, okay, cool in the first round. Yeah, it would be linebacker.
Speaker 3: From me, it's a good linebacker, man.
Speaker 5: It's I hope we're not doing this on a need thing, because I don't think it's a kneed thing. I think these linebackers can legitimately play well.
Speaker 6: Yet, did it stand out to you how much of the it's just kind of the evolution of the position.
Speaker 7: A lot of them can cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah they can't. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was like, dang, okay, you're.
Speaker 6: Just gonna drop back and covered and be straw with the receiver over and over. Okay, like that was One thing that stood out to me is that a lot of them have coverage ability.
Speaker 7: I think that is that matters now in this.
Speaker 3: R and can rush too, Yes he can.
Speaker 2: Kelly Pearson says, who is the Charles Haley of this draft class?
Speaker 3: The Cowboys need that. It's crazy crazy to help set the tone on defense.
Speaker 2: Who's got a little uh, little Charles Haley to him and good way in a good way.
Speaker 3: Charles's nuts. Yes, yes, in a good way, in a good way.
Speaker 7: Huh So.
Speaker 4: Can we do We might need to come back on that one last.
Speaker 3: It might be it might be tomorrow from Colorado State.
Speaker 5: That's a good one because he is a little bit of get in your face, get personal foul penallees.
Speaker 3: Be little nuts.
Speaker 5: Play the game, you know, play the run, play the pass. You know you got one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jersey Newton out of Illinois.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, the defensive tackle.
Speaker 4: Three tackles Florida guy, South Florida, and he brings it to the field that that probably be my guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah mine is.
Speaker 6: I'm about to skip because we were talking about DT's later.
Speaker 3: That's okay, go ahead, all right, don't he don't.
Speaker 7: Maybe he don't count.
Speaker 6: But when I seen him, he looked a little luney tunes to me. Three tech maybe five tech. Darius Robinson.
Speaker 3: Is he is he is. He from Missouri, Yes, Missouri, Missouri.
Speaker 6: Missouri, six ninety six, not super huge. I love his motor his effort. He extends and he extends his arm. He stacks well and he shads well. Very violent hands, I mean heavy hands where it's he's not the fastest, but I do like that. In space, he's gonna he thinks he's gonna beat you. He's he has that. This is my ball. I'm going to get him. Mentality, I don't. I think he realizes on his power a little bit too much. But I feel like he if you find him a home, he's gonna thrive there. His he has a nice little toolbox too, but he plays with his hair on fire.
Speaker 7: He's a little, a little little.
Speaker 3: He completely nailed this game.
Speaker 4: Have you watched There's a lot of guys in Missouri that are.
Speaker 3: Just like that. Yeah, they play with a chip, those Missouri kids.
Speaker 7: That's what I mean.
Speaker 5: That running back, that running back there is is interesting guy. If you if you want to start, let the let you know, uh, Cody Schrader from Missouri. Okay, you talked about a little nuts. You know, we're getting the running back Missouri.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what though.
Speaker 5: The thing about it is Missouri and no offense because there's a lot of friends that we all have that are Missouri grads.
Speaker 3: Great school.
Speaker 5: Their football program has always kind of been in that mode of just we're just not quite there yet. So what happens is they get players that other teams miss Maybe a guy can't go to Nebraska or Iowa or these places in the Midwest, and they end up to go to Missouri and then you watch them play and you're like, somebody missed that kid. It's like watching Deron Bland play at Fresno State. Somebody UCLA or Washington or what missed Dran Bland as a player.
Speaker 3: Missouri's got a lot of these guys like that. Yeah, they have a lot of.
Speaker 5: These These guys should have, but Missouri finished in the top ten. They give me, you know, give them credit. They but it's been a program that's been a little bit of an.
Speaker 3: Up and down.
Speaker 4: They're starting to recruit a little bit better because of the SEC pitch. You yes, you can still stay in the Midwest and play in the SEC, but also they're able to recruit SEC country. Hey, we're gonna play around the corner from your house at right here, you know. So it's helped them, but it's taken them a little bit of time. But I think they're really starting to put its. Saint Louis still a good area. Yeah, see Saint Louis. They get kids from Saint Louis. Saint Louis, you talk about tough. That is a tough city. Yeah, we're gonna talk about Luther Burden. Yeah, next year, and yeah, that's the Saint Louis kid who's gonna be wide receiver one. There you go, potentially next next year.
Speaker 3: There's some there's some mean kids in a nice way, mean, you know, mean.
Speaker 7: Not do what my best friends of Saint Louis.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, tell you to watch them high school football.
Speaker 3: All right, let's sake our seconds from sequs from the Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, second break. When we come back, we're gonna do a question with a spot light. Yeah, the questions were great today. Position spotlight. We're gonna do this a couple episodes in a row, just to get up the date on what each position looks like in this twenty twenty four draft class. We're gonna start with defensive tackles. What are some of the defensive tackles sweet spots? Is this a good class overall? And what are some of the top names and who might be flying under the radar. We're to answer all those questions when we come back with more of the draft show right after that.
Speaker 14: Hi Drew Pearson, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here, if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw a Heell Mary, go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At Laser Care I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patient see.
Speaker 14: Check them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you hood Hut.
Speaker 11: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and Nnilists Lincoln dot Com.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 4: Snapped the fresh scout who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped.
Speaker 3: He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Runs. Scott's gonna run this himself.
Speaker 4: Run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 12: Hi, I'm Danny mccraid, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King. And Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound? That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool issae or fataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Vernola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie Bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King, the official smooth of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: He is the Dallascowboys dot com draft shows.
Speaker 2: The ninety ninth annual East West Shrine Bowl will feature one hundred and thirty of the nation's top NFL draft prospects on Thursday, February first at the Star in Frisco. Tickets as low as twenty dollars are available at Shrine Bowl dot Com. Proceeds benefit Shriners Children's Brian.
Speaker 3: How cool is it to have the Shrine Bowl?
Speaker 5: This is great down the hall, so nice it really really is. And congratulations to all the guys that got selected for the teams. The coaches are involved, the fans. If you know you really want to get a jump on scout and see players live. You can kind of match that live look with what you're seeing on your tape or your study whatever you're doing, and it really really.
Speaker 3: Does help you that way.
Speaker 5: So great time of the year for Scouts to deal with the Shrine Bowl and then also deal with the Senior Bowl after that. It's it's a it's a it's a real benefit to be able to go to these events.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna preview both of them on Thursday.
Speaker 9: There.
Speaker 2: You gonna preview the Shrine Bowl. We're gonna preview the Senior Bowl. Normally we just preview the Senior Bowl, but with the Shrine Bowl being right.
Speaker 3: I got to, you got to. It's got to incredible coverage.
Speaker 2: Also got some confirmation over the weekend Thursday.
Speaker 3: Next Thursday, So not this upcoming Thursday, but next Thursday.
Speaker 2: Dane Brugler is going to be on the show in the studio here in Dallas, one of the founders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's gonna come in the Shrine Bowl.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 7: You know, everybody's coming into town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. I talked to him the other day. He misses the.
Speaker 5: Draft show, he really does, he he he goes, Man, I can't tell you how much fun I used to have on that draft show.
Speaker 3: I said, you had fun because I would like go after you.
Speaker 5: He goes, Yeah, that was part of it, it goes, he goes. I go, well, you got really good at going back after me.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to make sure that it that it turns out that way.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Time.
Speaker 3: Jane's great. He's one of the best at this. He really really is. And the Draft show fans still love him too. They do, they do as he's a legend. He absolutely is a legend that's doing this.
Speaker 12: Yeah, just watched, just watched the Christopher Nolan trilogesus.
Speaker 2: Oh right, all right, position spotlight time.
Speaker 3: Defensive tackles. Is this a good class.
Speaker 2: For defensive tackles overall? Based off of what you've seen so far?
Speaker 4: Nick, Yeah, I think so. I think when you when you compare it to years past, I mean, defensive tackle is kind of a spot you would have to reach out, especially in the early rounds. But I think there's some really good value for some guys. I don't really think you'll see that first defensive tackle off the board until the twenties or the late teens. At the very earliest. But I think once you look into that late first round, second round, third round, there's gonna be some guys that come off the board that are pretty interesting. You know, we've we've looked at Jerseanne Newton. We talked about him a little bit last week, got a little Illinois. I mean, it has kind of been a thought that he's, you know, this runaway DT one. But Byron Murphy out of Tech, Byron's a guy. Give me that guy out of De Soto. He's coming out of Texas after three years. I mean he's he's a little bit shorter than what you might want at defensive tackle, but he he looks like a grown man, and he looked like a grown man at fifteen years old. And this this kid's incredible. He was committed to Baylor for the longest and Texas got in on him late, was able to flip him and get him to Texas. Sorry Waco boy, but yeah, him and Tovandre sweat at Texas this past year really did some great work. Now I want to talk about these Texas guys a little bit, but do you want to ask that question to the table really quick before we do that?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, real quick because Sweat specific there're two different types of players. They're not the same player. Byron Murphy, he does a little bit of everything.
Speaker 3: Three ten.
Speaker 2: I mean he's he's a freak, I mean a legitimate freak. To and Andre Sweat is a physical just monster six three hundred and sixty plus, I mean big sixty six four yeah, three sixty two.
Speaker 4: He's a load.
Speaker 3: I think that's that's at least for Dallas, right. It's not a one trick guy though, he's not. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: If you're talking about a guy you need to stuff the middle, they need to stop the run.
Speaker 3: I think he would fit perfectly.
Speaker 2: That would work too, Yes, but they're two completely different prospects. Don't look at the helmet and say either Texas defensive tackles or YadA, YadA, YadA, completely different. Look at him separately because they can both be really good in their own right.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I mean when I looked at him, I felt like he's one of the true run stoppers in this in this, in it.
Speaker 7: So what do you mean, Brian.
Speaker 3: Year right?
Speaker 7: You trying to start stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm just asking he would still be three thirty two it, But what.
Speaker 8: Do you mean he's not just a one trick guy. What do you think he else? What else do you think he can do?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: Man, the thing that the thing that is interesting because you could see him rush the passer actually, you know you could see him with the because he plays with so much power, that upper body strength. I mean, he knocks an opponent back and then he's got the footwork to kind of, yeah, the footwork. All of a sudden, the guy is knocked back and now he's kind of dealing with he's dealing with this monster coming at him, and then with the footwork to get around him, you know, So he's it's it's one of those things. I mean, he can he just drives guys back into the backfield, but then he's kind of got the nimble feet to get around them and then get in on the quarterback.
Speaker 3: So that that's what I love about him.
Speaker 5: I Mean it's sometimes you get these massive guys and they just stand there. This guy actually has movement and the slide and the agility and you know, I mean it's it's kind of like you look at him in the way he plays.
Speaker 3: I he's got low pad level.
Speaker 5: You think of a guy that he's just he's kind of a taller guy, but he's got he's plays down, he bends his knees, and I just I really do like the hand used, the strong and the upper body. I mean, give me that type of game.
Speaker 4: When I talk about defensive tackles, I want to see the lower body mobility, upper body ficiality, and that's what I see from both of these guys. I think that's what one of the few things that I think they do. Similarly, when you look at and Andre Sweat, he was a guy that really didn't develop until that fifth year. And that's a credit defensive line coach Bo Davis who's now at LSU and yes sir, yes, sir. But being able to have that fifth season and really develop over this past offseason, add that extra weight, it was huge for him. I mean we see that. I mean we're looking at a second, second, third round guy now. And then you look at Byron Murphy. He was able to power that strength that he's always had. He's going to be one of the stronger guys you see at the combine. I mean, he's going to be strong and he's able to pair that with that mobility. Now that he has now they both needed the other thing as far as like Byron Murphy needing the lower half to Andre needing the upper half, and they combined both of them and they were able to kind of make that work.
Speaker 7: That's what I was going to ask.
Speaker 6: Is it going to be important with when you look at tandems, which you don't see a lot in college. To me, is like steady, this was a real tandem. To your point, they build off of each other. Is that something to consider when you are drafting this person.
Speaker 7: To look at?
Speaker 6: Okay, do I need to place him next to this person? Because I think you could say the thing about Newton too. I do think who he's played next to has made a difference in how he's schemed and taken on double teams and things of that nature. Is that something you look at when you're drafting.
Speaker 3: I think it's a valid question. No, it is.
Speaker 2: You want to see what they're playing beside and what they're playing around.
Speaker 3: My first thought when you brought that up was Georgia defensively. The last couple of years, you've got Jordan Davis.
Speaker 2: You've seen some of those guys and they've gone and played I mean, most of them are.
Speaker 3: In Philadelphia, honestly.
Speaker 2: But most of them have gone on and played well defensive tackle wise, defensive line.
Speaker 3: Wise, wherever they end up, and a lot of times they're not together unless they are in Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: I'll say the one thing about Sweat, he's you talking about a guy that's extremely durable.
Speaker 3: Guys played four hundred and sixty snaps the last two years, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, you always worry about guys with that big playing in heat and humidity and all that, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sixty, it's a hot stadium to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and you know that. Yeah, he's and he's not coming off the field.
Speaker 5: You throw in the Alabama game, I mean, and you're watching Alabama and Alabama's got a good offensive line and they it is an all day fight between Alabama and Texas on their offensive defensive line. That's I just these guys like I say this, Sweat, he he he plays the grass eight.
Speaker 3: Dying under his feet.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's he's moving to the outside, he's getting up the field. I mean, it's it's it's impressive to watch a man that big operate the way he does.
Speaker 4: Huntsville, Texas. De Andre Sweat, by the way, don't look.
Speaker 7: At me, Kyle, because I don't want to say.
Speaker 3: How what you throw a mission? You get through that Michigan tackle out there.
Speaker 8: Listen, we just talking about dts.
Speaker 5: We're talking about Chris Jenkins. I scouted his dad at Carolina. Go ahead, talk about Chris Drinkins the junior.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, let me start off that we have Yeah, Michigan.
Speaker 7: No people get tight National champs. He was a big part of it.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was one thing that stood out to me.
Speaker 7: Number one. I wanted to look into the character.
Speaker 6: A lot of a lot of really good character witnesses for this guy who he is and his work ethic.
Speaker 7: They talk about how much he's in there. He was in the weight room. He came in at what two forty, he's at three oh five.
Speaker 6: Now you get to see that player is willing to, you know, sacrifice in that way to put the weight on and everything that he needs to do. He transitioned from d N to D tackle. You could see some of that in his game.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 6: And also to you you mentioned the fact that his father he had come from a football family. Ye, his dad was a nose tackle DT for four time Pro bowler, very successful. His uncle culin. Jenkins thirteen years in the league, so he has the lineage of a football player, but when you get into the player, this is a run stopping defender. I mean, I do think that he takes on double teams well, he takes them.
Speaker 7: He takes them on a lot. He got double teamed a lot.
Speaker 6: More this past year because of Mazi's absence, and I felt like he handled that pretty well.
Speaker 7: At times.
Speaker 6: He does have to focus on and Ryan mentioned it earlier, what the heck is going on?
Speaker 7: Is it the scheme?
Speaker 6: It's the get off and the technique, and he said that his uncle's his uncle, his dad have even pulled.
Speaker 7: Him in aside and to talk to him about the game. So it's the scheme. Maybe it's the stance, it's a stand.
Speaker 5: It's he plays a lot more elongated than what than what Mozzi plays. Mozzi was a little bit more narrow, and Will McLay even talked about kind of opening up Mozzie's stance a little more from Michigan.
Speaker 3: But when you watch Jenkins play, he's a little bit longer. But it is a scheme. They are a tick late coming off the ball.
Speaker 5: They seriously I watch it and that it's the last damn thing I put in my notes, and I said.
Speaker 3: Let me get to it here if I could real quick. I said, that's the last thing. I go. I go this.
Speaker 5: I said, like to see more explosive when coming off the ball as a pass rusher. I go, this is likely a scheme thing. After Mozzie Smith struggles with the same thing. It's a combination. This guy's got a combination of raw strength and athletic potential.
Speaker 8: That's what this guy is.
Speaker 5: But they but they are. You watch it play against Washington, play the run. They don't. They can't block this guy. And in a big game he was. And I know you're going to see the maze and blue and the helmet and f Michigan defensive lineman.
Speaker 3: I get it. It's a scheme thing with these guys. It really is.
Speaker 5: The more now you watch, you understand after watching Maszie play this year, I get it. I get it watching Michigan football. That's that's what you're going to have to deal with coming out of out of a Michigan If you're drafting their defensive lineman.
Speaker 3: Does that make you feel about No, Mazzie still needs to get off the ball. Quicker yeah. I feel like either way, you're still you're kind of you're.
Speaker 5: Still yeah, you got the ball is right there when it's snapped, goat, don't don't like snap and then wait, I can't Tammy times.
Speaker 3: I know we all did it.
Speaker 5: His hands on the ground, their linemen are moving, his hands still on the ground. It's a it's a Michigan thing.
Speaker 4: I think it's even worse with Mazzi too, because it's very clear that he has been relying on his strength is entirely question and he can be okay with you having the slogan off, but now he's reached that point to where you can't.
Speaker 7: And that's what I would say.
Speaker 6: The difference between if you wanted to try Jenkins, I think the difference between him. I think his functional strength is better than Mazzi's was to start, Wow, who's our guy?
Speaker 4: Clemson or A horror I haven't gotten there yet as far as a horror ho rookue A horror ho?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely not right, No, No, it's seriously, I think you.
Speaker 3: Say it a horror, A horror horror. I think it's how it's pronounced. I think it's how it's pronounced.
Speaker 5: I'm going to their media, Yeah, give me yeah, Clemson, Okay, real quick, this guy, I mean, there's he's six forties two ninety. Here's another three technique that you're gonna have to kind of deal with here. He can to play a little high for my liking, but you could see blockers they get under him a little bit. But his best pass rush techniques and stuff are like that when he's on the move. I mean, he's a bull rushers. He needs a little bit better plan. But this is a guy that people are kind of talking about a little bit.
Speaker 3: Six four, two ninety.
Speaker 5: You know, he plays in a rotating Clemson's got all those rotating defensive linemen. But you're gonna see a funny name and you're gonna have to study this kid because I mean, he's he's a guy that has the ability to make some plays, and he made some plays for Clemson in these games.
Speaker 3: Will we have it? No, go for it?
Speaker 4: When we do these positional spotlights? Can I do a stay away from this guy?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: All right? Stay away from lind Taylor to the third out of Miami. Not a huge fan of what he's put on the put on the field this past year in Miami. He was a Miami Palmoudo kid stayed home, went to University of Miami, was a five star prospect, top five in the in his class, and I just have not loved the production from him since he's been at Miami. I say stay away because he's starting generated like that second third round ye and I just I don't see that. I see a guy who's kind of lazy off the ball, which is oddly enough, he has a crazy motor he does he could stay on the field for quite a bit of snaps. Kind of similar since de Andandre sweat in that way. But I just don't love the guy. I think he's He's not a true defensive tackle either. I think you would have to move him out to like a three or a five. Even He reminds me of Villiama Fojoko from last year as far as the draft process goes, and I think the Cowboys kind of reached some Fojoko taking him in the fourth. I thought it at the time. I mean obviously I think that now too, So I think this is more of like a fifth, sixth round guy. I don't see him right now as a second third round.
Speaker 2: By the way, uh group que or or oh, there's No, the hes are silent, A.
Speaker 3: Very good a oreo or Aura watch him number thirty three.
Speaker 7: I'm watching that.
Speaker 5: And then you'll be like, why did you make me waste thirty minutes of my life? Or or it's or or or yeah or for different You'll go up, you'll text me, you'll go, I hate this guy, Brian, I just I just I'm interesting, you know me. At this point, I think I think I'm getting an understanding.
Speaker 7: I'm a watch.
Speaker 4: So it's basically all the ages are silent.
Speaker 3: Or I can do that. I can do that here, got it? Everybody, Well done, y'all you can do you can do.
Speaker 7: Understand.
Speaker 3: Albert Equabanam from Missouri tight end.
Speaker 7: Yeah, now you're pushing it.
Speaker 3: Got it all right. We'll be back at Lineman in Alabama too. Yeah, there's a couple of them I bora. Okay, we'll attack that one on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Class on Thursday, eleven am Central Time Draft Show. On Thursday, we're gonna preview the Shrine Bowl, preview the Senior Bowl coming.
Speaker 3: Up as well. Be sure to join us.
Speaker 2: Glad you're with us today for Chris Beam, Jasmine Marshall, Paul in the Back, Nick Harris, Brian brought us Ayasha Morrison. I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long. We'll see you on Thursday with more of the Draft Show.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.