Speaker 1: On this week's episode of Cultivating her Space.
Speaker 2: Resentment oftentimes does not begin with this huge betrayal. Right, yes, resentment often begins with repeated neglect. Hey lady, have you ever felt like the world just doesn't get you? Well?
Speaker 1: We do. Welcome to Cultivating her Space, the podcast dedicated to uplifting and empowering women like you.
Speaker 2: We're your hosts, doctor Dominique Brussard and educator and psychologists.
Speaker 1: And Terry Lomax, a techie and transformational speaker.
Speaker 2: Join us every week for authentic conversations about everything from fibroids to fake friends as we create space for black women to just be.
Speaker 1: Before we dive in, make sure you hit that follow button and leave us a quick five star review. Lady, we are black and black owned, and your support will help us reach even more women like you.
Speaker 2: Now, let's get into this week's episode of Cultivating her Space.
Speaker 1: If you want more speaking engagements, collaborations, or visibility for your brand, I got to tell you the truth. This is Terry low Max and I've been a public speaker for over twelve years. I've lended national media, a TED Talk, and six figure collaborations without a publicist or a big social media following. And here's what most people don't hear. You don't need a publicist or a massive audience to get booked. Most people are waiting to feel established first, and that waiting is costing them visibility. How many times have you looked up and seeing people with less experience getting opportunities you were fully qualified for. Here's the truth. Opportunities don't go to the most qualified. They go to the people who can clearly communicate their value. Once I learned how to organize my story and position my expertise using a framework, everything changed. If you want my exact pitch emails, word for word, my winning subject lines, and the Saucy Solutions framework, visit get that pitch dot com for a limited time use code her space for a special listener discount. If this is your year to stop hiding and start getting booked, I'll see you inside. Visit get that pitch dot com or click the link in our show notes our quote of the day.
Speaker 2: Never be limited by other people's limited imaginations. That quote comes to us from doctor May Jamison. Now, now, team, I know you're here in this quote and you're like, what does this have to do.
Speaker 1: With this episode?
Speaker 2: But hear me out. Okay, So this quote is to me a fitting one for our conversation today because so many of the silent relationship killers that we're going to talk about are rooted in limitation, so limiting our voices, limiting our needs, limiting our honesty, limiting our healing, and shrinking ourselves to fit inside relationships that may no longer fit us. And so I think this quote reminds us that healthy love should expand you and not require you to abandon yourself.
Speaker 1: That's good. But you're right though, because I definitely saw that quote and I was like, Okay, let me see, let me see where you're going with this. But you know, it's funny. I was reflecting on it before we started, and I was like, Okay, I can kind of see how that can tie into the conversation because when I hear that quote, what comes up for me is how other people how they define a relationship and what's good can often and they can try to like influence what we how we feel about a relationship. Right, So sometimes the people around us, they may have a very limited idea about what healthy love looks like or just because of relationship checks certain boxes on paper. That doesn't mean that their media needs emotionally or physically. And I think back to don when I was younger, and a lot of the older women will be like, oh, just make sure you know he pay the bills and y'all never fight, or you know he does this and he does that and that's like a good relationship. Or people these days be like, oh, yeah, you look good on Instagram, or y'all have such a beautiful family. That's the girls shiite, y'all looks so good together. It's like he's a good man. He's a good man, and Savannah like all that. And it's like, well, yes, we don't communicate, or I don't feel seen, or I don't feel known right, or like I don't feel emotionally connected right. All those things are important as well. And so just because a relationship looks healthy from the outside doesn't mean that it's healthy from the inside. And so I'm really excited for us to dive into this, and I can see how that quote fits into it. I think that today's conversation is going to be a really interesting one because we'll get a chance to kind of talk about the things that people often don't talk about and also give voice to people who are in a space where they're like, well, nothing's really wrong, but something just doesn't feel right, Like there's nothing toxic going on, no infidelity, none of my boundaries have been violated, but something doesn't feel right, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's there needs to be. Just because certain boxes are checked off, doesn't mean that the relationship truly is healthy. Yeah, because oftentimes what we'll see by the end of this conversation today is that there truly are certain things that are happening in the relationship that aren't being talked about or might not even be in our conscious level of awareness right away.
Speaker 1: But to your.
Speaker 2: Point, it's that intuitive feeling that something is is off.
Speaker 1: Oh girl, I got some stories for today's episode too, Okay, I got some juicy stories, And I had a question for you before we jump on in, like, have you ever seen or have you ever like, have you ever witnessed this right where either in your own life or someone else's life or from the outside looking in, everything looked great, but from the inside there was a disconnect. And if so, what does that disconnect look like in action? Like what was that guess, that thing or that moment for either you or that person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think as I'm sitting with that question, the things that immediately come up to me, like that ring a bell or like what you pointed out about looking good on paper, that this person checked all the boxes. Like you know, we've talked about this on the podcast before about having your list right of like your needs, your wants, your non negotiables, and this person was not violating any of those non negotiables. They check all the boxes of what you need and some of what you want. However, like the couple, they weren't happy. Yeah, and part of why they weren't really happy is because they were almost moving like roommates. And so for me, when I hear that, oh we're it's like we're existing almost as if we're roommates. Things are you know, like you said, there's there weren't any arguments. They are checking the boxes for me, then it becomes okay, if you all are existing kind of like roommates, maybe we need to go back and reevaluate what those boxes are under your needs to see if they truly are still meeting your needs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good because it could have met your needs at one point. The girl, we be evolving and so things change. Okay, let's talk about this first silent killer, because I got some shit to tell you, Okay, Okay, So the first one is emotional withholding.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's this idea of I shouldn't have to ask. Okay, now, girl, what y'all lady is you listen?
Speaker 2: I got, I got.
Speaker 1: I want to know if anyone else can relate to this, okay, because this is the core idea here, is that many relationships suffer not from an explosive conflict, right, but from emotional starvation. Right. And so let me just preface this by saying, and I'm sure you you all can relate, right, you and the lady listening. So, as a strong black woman, right, strong independent black woman, right, I don't necessarily want to have to ask, Like in a relationship, there are certain things. Let me just tell you, to a certain there are certain things. Don't gonna give you the example. Okay, So there are certain things. Now I'm like, okay, cool, but let me just tell you what I struggled with in the past. Right. And if I do have to ask, wait for the wait for the ball to drop here. I don't want to have to ask over and over that it's just me being honest. But it's a certain thing in particular. Okay, So let me give an example. I was dating this skuy okay, and I am inquisitive by nature, like I'm very interested in people. Girl, I be in the uber and this is this older I think it was this older Indian man. One day we're in the uber. He was telling me about his dad and stuff that inspire him, and I'm just like, oh, for real. And then what happened. And then when I was a girl by the time I got the car, He's like, I'm sorry for talking so much. I was like, it's cool, Like I'm inquisitive, right, So I asked questions. I'm asking follow up questions. I'm just interested in people in general. So if I'm in a relationship, of course I am. Now here's the thing. In this particular relationship. I a would share certain things about what I had going on, and it would just be like it would fall flat. So it'd be like, Okay, that's cool, I'm thinking, mother, I could ask me a question like be interested.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: So when I was sitting when I was working through this in therapy, and I was telling my therapists like I really try to communicate in relationships because I don't want resentment to build up, and I know I need to share this, but also I'm gonna be real like this. This may be like the tough girl like the Philly Party be coming out, but I'm like, I don't want to be thirsty being like I don't want to feel like a little pussy, like can you ask me questions about myself? Like I just feel like that. I just felt goofy like asking that, right, But because I value the relationship and I was working through it in therapy, she was like, Okay, well, sometimes you do have to lead people to, you know, where you want to be. So I did start communicating that and it did help. But girl, I felt so silly and vulnerable doing that initially, And so I think it goes back to that silent killer of this idea of like I shouldn't have to ask, but in actuality, people don't remind right.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so so, lady, if you're watching this on YouTube, then you probably saw my facial expressions as soon as T mentioned this, because I really was like, girl, and I and I'm rolling my eyes because because okay, So, on one hand, I want to honor and respect what you're saying around like it is vulnerable to have to ask, right, However, no one in our life is a mind reader, not our friends, not our family, and for certainly not our partners. And so to expect that the people in our lives automatically know all the things is an unrealistic expectation that is setting you up for disappointment and could be delaying the foundation for resentment and conflict within the relationship. Right, So, for me, when I hear this, what I hear is we're looking for mind readers and that doesn't exist. And so what needs to happen is we have to learn to ask for what we need, and yes, sometimes we will need to be given reminders. Here's the way I help people understand it. If you think about all the people in your life, can you honestly say that you remember everything that they need? Can you truly remember every boundary that they have? Like, literally pause and think about that, every person in your life who you have a close relationship with, can you tell me every single one of their boundaries? Can you tell me everything that it is that they need? I already know that the answer is no. So like, let's not even go there like the answer is no, and so you cannot expect that the people in your life are going to remember everything that you need. And now I get that, particularly with romantic partners, that it is. It is helpful and we may find ourselves like more enamored and closer when we have a partner who remembers all the things that we want and need and they address that right. But the reality is that there will need to be reminders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do want to say something else. I'm that I think that a spot on And it was definitely it was a hard thing to grasp initially because for instance, right in the bedroom, I feel comfortable and like do this, do that, do that? Like you know, that's one area. But I feel like for me and lady, this is if you're listening in, this resonates with you. Hopefully this is like something you can take on your journey. For me, it was like the thing I'm asking for. It feels so basic because it's like I do for you, like you tell me about your day or something that's going on, and I'm engrossed to engage in the story, and it's like in my mind it's like I would assume that like that should be reciprocated, because then the thing was like, well are you are you not interested? And like what I got going on? So I think there's levels to it when it comes like the vulnerability, the assumptions that you're making, and so it is still important to ask for sure, And I think there's also balance between asking, giving feedback and then them showing up and implementing it, because I think that's where things can get tricky when it comes like over time, someone's like, you know what, fuck it, I ain't even sharing nothing no more because I've been vulnerable. I share and you're not even implementing. You're not even trying, like at all, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that that leads us to the next silent killer, which is the unspoken resentment, right, And so it's this accumulation of tiny disappointments that Yeah, so what we know is that resentment oftentimes does not begin with this huge betrayal, right, Yes, resentment often begins with repeated neglect. And so in this situation that you're pointing out that, yeah, if I've asked you to engage in conversation with me and ask me questions, appear interested and over time, you aren't meeting like, you aren't doing that right, and I've asked multiple times that I've done the reminders right and you still aren't doing that. Then yeah, then more and also more than likely that that means that there are other moments when you all are communicating that they are disappointing you. That you might get excited about something. You might go to share something as you're super excited about and their response is just yeah, it's like, oh, that's great, and you're like, wait, I was expecting. I was expecting a big fan fare because with the emotion and tone that I'm communicating this to you, I would hope that you would pick up on the context clues and give me some excitement back. Yeah, And when that doesn't happen, then yeah, that's another tiny disappointment. And over time you start because of those repeated disappointments, you start to build resentment that is.
Speaker 1: So real too, because it's like, Okay, I was vulnerable, I share the feedback, and now it's like, okay, I'm giving you opportunities to showcase you know, the feedback right, to showcase the things that I desire, and it doesn't happen, and so I can see how the resentment builds up. One of the things I explored, and I'd love to give your perspective on this, said lead you think about this in your own life. At what point, so again, let's pink the right. Everything in the relationship's going well, we actually have fun together, we are doing well, there's nothing bad going on. However, when I share things about whatever's going on in my life, I don't I'm not being met there and it's happening consistently now even after sharing feedback. At what point do you think, Okay, you know what this person, maybe this is part of the relationship that I just maybe this is where they this is a place where they cannot meet me, and maybe I need to outsource this, and maybe they're not the person I go to for this. I don't know. Part of me feels like I know some people they believe in kind of having different people for different things. Part of me, if you're in a monogamous relationship with least, I'm like, oh, I can see all that. It may work for some people, but then I'm also like, I want my person to be able to hold me in that way. What are your thoughts on outsourcing that if the person shows consistently that you know what I can't they struggling, You can't even ask a god damn follow up a question or show any interest.
Speaker 2: So to me, it's about where your values lie, right, Because I do support outsourcing, because I'm a firm believer that your partner does not have to be your everything. Yeah, your partner does not have to match you in every single interest. That in an ideal interdependent, healthy loving relationship dynamic, both partners have things that they share together and then there are things interests that they have separate from their partner that they connect with other people on, or maybe it's solo things that they connect on. Right, in this particular example that you're providing, though, for me, it's about values. So for you, what you're saying is that you value deeper level emotional connection and conversation with your partner, and because that is a high value for you, that is not something that can be outsourced in this relationship. Now, let's say that your partner, let's say that you are interested in.
Speaker 1: Yoga.
Speaker 2: Okay, yoga is the thing that you like, you love for fitness. Your partner has absolutely no interest in that, right While yoga is important to you. On your list of values, Yoga is not high up there, right, So like, if you didn't do yoga for the day, you're not going to be upset. It's not high up on your list of values. So it's not a big deal if your partner doesn't share your interest in that. Yeah, but having these conversations, you value that more than yoga. And so then your partner needs to be able to meet you on that, and if they can't, then that will cause problems in the relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wof, that's interesting. And speaking of problems, we're going to move on to another one. And this came up a lot in our previous friendship conflict avoidance, right, and I think it's important for us to remember that peacekeeping is not the same as peace just like and that was something I used to do back in the day two girl, Like, I was very conflict avoidant, having to be the peacemaker growing up in the household. And so I just brushed it under the rug. Just brush it under the rug. Oh, I'm okay, smiling, Oh, it's all good. And then you have this this mound right like under the rug. It's like, is there a mountain under there. So what are your I don't know, do you have any stories or examples about being conflict avoidant on what you've seen happen in relationships. When people are conflict avoidant, they may be like, oh, yeah, I've heard this. We never argue, we never have disagreements, and it's like, oh that is I don't know. Yeah, sound healthy.
Speaker 2: So to me, it is not healthy, right, because part of a healthy dynamic is being able to navigate through conflict. And I think part of it is is how people perceive conflict. Conflict doesn't have to mean that it's the end of the relationship, and conflict doesn't have to mean that we are having this big blowout, knockdown, drag out fight. Conflict means we don't agree on something. We could have conflict over what we want for dinner. I might be in the move for tacos, you might be in the move for a salad. We're not agreeing. That's conflict. Now does it have to become a big deal, Like, does it have to become a blowout, drag out, knockdown fight.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But what happens is when we're focused on being peacekeeper and we're folks and we're someone who is conflict avoidant. If I'm the person who's conflict avoidant, even though I've initially voiced that I want those that I wanted tacos for dinner and my partner says he wants salad, I'm conflict avoidant, So I'm gonna say, let's go ahead and have that salad. Now. To your point, like, what that does is that does start to build up over time and then there's no longer. There may be peace within the dynamic, but internally you have no peace because internally you are constantly acquiescing for what the sake of having peace, but you're not really having peace. So it defeats the purpose. And I think part of what it is too, particularly for us as black women, is that oftentimes we receive the narrative in various spaces that the you know, the angry black woman's stereotype, or that you're being dramatic, or you're just too that's you're.
Speaker 1: Just too much, are too difficult.
Speaker 2: Right, And so to avoid that in our romantic relationships, we may find ourselves shutting down and saying it's fine, we can do what you want. Meanwhile, we on internally are erupting and I also, and I want to point out that when I say internally there's no peace, this also leads to lots of physical health problems.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking that.
Speaker 2: And so it becomes so this, this silence, yes, becomes a killer, literally killing us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, lady, we're going to take a quick pause to share something we genuinely love and are excited to partner with. This episode is sponsored by VB Health, and we'll tell you why they've officially earned a spot in our wellness rotation.
Speaker 2: Lady, we want to talk about one of their products called drive Boost.
Speaker 1: And right away, dom one thing that stands out about this product is how intentional it is. You already know the libido space can feel confusing and honestly not very trustworthy.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and VB Health approaches this differently. Drive Boost is doctor formulated, made with scientifically backed ingredients, and third party tested for quality and safety.
Speaker 1: And just like everything we promote, this is a product that we personally tried and feel good recommending it works.
Speaker 2: Not girl. Another thing worth noting, drive Boost is formulated for all genders. That's you, your partner, and anybody else, which isn't always the case in this category.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that so much, lady. If you want to learn more or explore whether it's a fit for you, visit VB dot health and use code her space for ten percent off or click the link in the show notes.
Speaker 2: And now let's get back to the conversation.
Speaker 1: That's why I think, too sometimes we see a lot of older like the elders, But I'm thinking about the older Black women that I know they don't be giving the shit. They will say what's on their mind, like I'm not holding on to this, you know what I mean, I'm letting this shit listen. I'm gonna say what I feel and get that off because and I feel like the older I get, I'm more like that too, where it's like I'm gonna just express how I feel because when you hold on to it, you know, you ever think about situations where like you holding on to something and that shit sits in your body, you can whether it manifests as anxiety or stress or your heart racing it. I'm like, I don't want to be holding on to that, so I'm just gonna air it out. But I think finding a way a conflict resolution method that works for you and your personality. I think that's key.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree, And so then our next our next silent killer is lacking curiosity about each other.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: I think this goes back to your example, like the guy you were dating seemed like he lacks curiosity, right, But what it can also show up as is assuming that you already know your partner. Now, This one, ladies, is for the folks who have kind of been together. This often shows up for couples that have been together for a while, right, And so it's you've been together for like five ten years, and you know the partner has asked for what they needed. We are being more tuned to what it is that they need, and so now we just move around. We exist in a way that assumes we know what they want. And the problem with that is that as humans, we are constantly evolving. The hope for most of us is that we don't remain stagnant. And what ends up destroying the relationships is when the curiosity disappears when we move as if we know everything that a who our partner, exactly who they are, what all of their interests are, and we don't take the time to really start to get curious. Cynics to remain curious and explore. It's almost like, after a while, we just get into the routine. Yeah, and the conversations become like I said the example I provided before, like feeling more like roommates conversations about yeah, like the logistics. All right, so what's the schedule for the kids this week's time? Are you coming home?
Speaker 1: Who's paying the time?
Speaker 2: And you have to leave in the morning. Oh wait, you're on vacation. When let's update the calendar? Right. We're not asking about what was the best thing that happened to you today. We're not asking what are your goals for this upcoming year? What how's that promotion that you just got at work? Because do we even know what they got a promotion?
Speaker 1: Those are good questions. I'd love even asking about, you know, what they're into these days, like what hobbies right, or just thinking about like who is your who are they becoming right now in this season? Who are they becoming, what are they prioritizing, or you know, asking yourself like when was the last time you deeply listened instead of preparing a response, just kind of seeing what's on their mind. And I think the key right, and I think the key point here is that intimacy requires continuous discovery, right, we should be ideally like you should. I mean, yeah, I want to be interested in my partner. I want them to be interested and me as we can teach, evolve and grow and so yeah, that's definitely another good one.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I think for me, like when I hear this one, I also think about like, like, I know, I know some folks that have do what they call yearly couples check ins, Right, I love that and once a year, and it doesn't have to be at the for some people, it's at the start of a new calendar year. For some people it's on their wedding anniversary. For other people, like they pick a time and it's the same time every year, and they sit down and they have questions that they ask themselves and they talk about like okay, they do they reflect on the previous year, like the good, the bad, that they you know, all the things, and then they ask each other what are the goals for the upcoming year? What are their individual goals, their goals as a couple, and if they have kids, what are the family goals? Because it's about also remembering that even though you were one person, there are multiple pieces of you and multiple roles that you play, and so your goals as individuals may be aligned, but might not be. This don't need to be the same thing as your goals as a couple or your goals as an overall household.
Speaker 1: I love that. I think that a spot on. I think it's spot on. And that takes us to the next one, the silent killer. Self abandonment. Oh my goodness, how many can relate to this? So losing yourself while trying to keep love and yeah, this is this is layered. I think a couple ways that this may show up is like shrinking your needs that appears to be easy, right, losing hobbies, identity, or friendships, constantly prioritizing the relationship over yourself, and confusing sacrifice with love. So you look up one day and you're just like how did I get here? And like who am I? Because I'm doing everything for these people, these people being the people in your household, your family, right like a partner, kids, whatever it might be. And that is such a Yeah, that's a that's a big one. Self abandonment. What do you think about that one?
Speaker 2: It happens so often, particularly for women, right that you enter into a relationship, and I hear this oftentimes, like in with younger couples, right, like their friends are upset with them because all of a sudden, now you never have time for us anymore. You spend all your free time with your partner, like, don't forget about us, And what's happening is they haven't figured out that balance, right. I think naturally, in the start of a new relationship, you are gonna want to spend time. Hopefully, you're wanting to spend time a lot of time with your new partner, right, and you're in this honeymoon phase where everything feels great and exciting and fun and you want, you truly do want to give them all of your free time, right. And initially that might be okay as you're getting to know them, But at some point you all have to pull back, literally and figuratively, pull away from one another and find some time to reintroduce this balance of what did your life look like before you got with this person. And while you're not going to have every Saturday from ten to five, is not going to be you and the girls all the time because now you have a partner. But that doesn't mean that you no longer have girls' night on Saturdays. You figure out what the balance is going to look like, because when you stop doing that, you lose your essence. And then what also happens is is if when you get to that point where you are losing yourself to be in the relationship and focus on all the things with your partner, some of the things that initially attracted your partner to you you're no longer doing, and so then they may start losing attraction for you. Now, to be clear, that's them thing, not a youth thing, but it's a signal that there's something there's been a change.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point time. It makes me think about how when you both have your own lives, it also keeps things interesting so you can still have that curiosity that we talked about. And yeah, it's so important because I think many of us have done that, especially in young relationships where you're just like throw everyone away. I definitely did that one of my first relationships, like oh, I'm just me and this person, and then when the shit ends, you build it rebuilding bridges that you've then burned and going back to people. But I feel like having a whole life it keeps you healthy, so you're not depending on one person for all the things, Like you have a community, right, like Lord forbid something happens to that person or the relationship does end, you still have stability that's outside of just that particular relationship. Now, I did want to ask you about something else because I was reflecting on self abandonment and I was like, I feel like, now I don't know if this is correct psychologically, so we're going to need doctor don let us know. But this is what I was thinking about. By way of the experience I had. There was a relationship I was in where I feel like, low key, I was like groomed to be codependent because I'm very independent naturally, I have my own stuff going on, and this person came in love bombing and kind of put themselves in a position of like being there for everything I needed, so that I was like, oh, okay, this is I can depend on this person. But then it kind of became a bit like smothering. And then before I look I looked up and I was like, well, god damn, Like I'm I feel like I'm codependent now, like I'm depending on this person to be there. So is that a thing because I feel like I definitely experienced that.
Speaker 2: Yes, that can definitely happen, and to me, I would look at that as if the person was intentionally doing this, then that's a form of psychological and emotional abuse, right, that they are intentionally trying to isolate you from all, from your from your community and to have you pulled into them. That is that is psychological abuse, and it happens. Actually, what you're describing happens way more than we often talk about, and happens way more to women who typically view themselves as strong and independent.
Speaker 1: That is so good like them. I'm thinking about someone swooping in. The love bombing begins, but then it feels so good in the moment. You're like, oh my god, they love me so much. Of course you would love me, Like I'm amazing paying my bills, you're doing this, you're doing that, and so now I've maybe left my job, like I'm now becoming dependent upon you, and now they have more control. So lady ed, you're listening, like, be mindful for that when someone comes in, like what are their intentions here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like what's happening? What's this dynamic doing? That's why it's so important to have that independence and also.
Speaker 2: Being clear for yourself too, right, because for some people, some women do still hold the view that like they want their partner to come in and take care of them, and so they're happy to stop working and have a partner who is taking care of everything financially. And so I want to to that specific example, I want to remind us that it's about it's also about where your values lie. Right. Sure, it becomes problematic when they are pulling you away from what your values and you're no longer feeling aligned with what your values are.
Speaker 1: That is a really good point. And if you're in that situation and that's what you want, you still keep that bank account and you put some stuff aside for yourself, because listen, that's what the eldest used to always say. You always have your own They don't got nobody. Yes, keep some shit to yourself, Okay, all right. The next one here is lack of repair after her ooh law. So those apologies without the transformation. This is a really big one, I feel like, because this kind of goes back to that resentment. Things have happened over the course of the relationship. I'm thinking about a friend who experienced in fidelity and it's like it happened on both ends and then they don't forgive each other. And then now there's you know, there's skeptical and suspicious and it's just this never ending cycle. Sou's dig into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the thing is is that, like we said before, conflict is normal and healthy in relationships. It becomes the conflict becomes problematic when there's no change in behavior. So if if I've apologized for doing a particular thing and then I go back and I keep doing that particular thing, then that's not repair and that apology is meaningless, right, And so what happens over time is that my partner starts to lose trust in me. My partner no longer starts to have that that emotional safety has been eroded. It's now because of my behavior. It's we're moving with the expectation that I'm going to continue to do this behavior, and I'm sending the message of you just got to get over it, like because this is going to continue to happen. I'm not changing, and the problem where I'm now, the problem is that if my partner has communicated at least once that that my behavior that particular behavior is a problem for them, and I continue to do it and have that energy of you just need to get over it. What I'm doing is I am minimizing and dismissing my partner's needs. What I am inherently now communicating is that I don't value them, that I'm not really concerned about what really matters to them. I'm not trying to fix when I do something that's hurtful, and if we're not speaking on it and it continues to happen, that is eroding the relationship. So if I'm truly wanting to be invested in, if I'm truly invested in this relationship, truly invested in healing and repairing after I've done something to hurt my partner, then my apology is not just in my words. My apology is in my actions. Right, So I'm going to change my behavior, and depending on what the issue was, I'm probably going to check in to make sure that things are back on track, to solicit feedback to make sure that I have given the change that my partner has requested.
Speaker 1: That is spot on, and I think the big line here are the reminders, like people can survive mistakes, but what they struggle to survive, is feeling emotionally unsafe after them, or being consistently hurt and not having the repair. It's like, damn you just I'm thinking about a certain celebrity but I'm not going to say the names, but the celebrity just got cheated on over and over again. It's like, then the partner is doing these extravagant things to get back, and it's like, but you still out here doing her dirty. And so it's like that constant thing that again leads to the resentment and then also leads us to the silent killer here, which is like outgrowing the relationship without admitting it. At some point we got to be real with ourselves, like, Okay, the love exists, but the alignment no longer does. And that is such a hard pill to swallow at times, especially when you've invested so much, like I remember even myself like been in situations where it's like I've invested so much time, Damn, now I've outgrown the relationship. Or you feel bad or you feel guilty, like it's tricky, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the thing is is that what we don't often acknowledge in this is that sometimes the relationship truly has ended long before. Oh yeah, it ended physically, right, So like we have those moments where we're in that space of moving as if we're rumors, right, And what happens is that, Like I see this more often with couples who were together when they were really young, right, so high school sweethearts who got together and who they were when they were in high school. Fast forward ten years and they're not the same person. Fast forward another five on top of that, and they're not the same person. And what happens is that they still love their partner, but perhaps they've outgrown one another. They weren't doing those yearly check ins with each other, and this can often. This often occurs typically around career, so more likely to see it when in the heterosexual dynamic, the woman her career takes off, right. So and for black women in particular, we know this statistically that the woman has gone on and she's gotten after multiple degrees, she is getting promoted. She now is in a space where she might be out earning her partner, right, So we have that piece, But then you add with that, as she has progressed, how she shows up in the world, how she shows up in her relationship has progressed as well. Maybe she's in therapy and her partner is like, I don't believe in that therapy. Bullshit, girl, Because I can't tell you the number of times that I have spoken with black women and they are in therapy and their partners have said that to them. I, as a therapist myself, have gone on with guys who have said that and that they're at that point. I'm like, I can't, Like, I can't because this is the work that I do. Yeah, And so they're doing the women are doing the work and their partners are not keeping up. Now, I don't want y'all coming from me in the comments saying that I am bashing black men because I'm not what I but this is what I hear most often, right, And that's not to say that it doesn't happen in the reverse. I'm speaking on what I hear most often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is so real, Domind. I've heard that too from friends as well. And I think about sometimes when people talk about outgrowing a relationship, they there's this assumption or this connotation that oh, it means I'm better than the other person, or like I elevated and they didn't but sometimes it can literally simply be different visions for your future, like you were, even like it could be career and that someone wants to move somewhere and the other person is prioritizing something else, or like emotional maturity gaps widening. And I think that often happens when one person is doing some type of therapeutic or just self help, professional development healing right, and the other person isn't one person evolving while the other resists growth right or staying because of history, fear, or potential and just kind of being comfortable. So it could be various things that are causing that the outgrowing of the relationship. But it's just something to keep in mind, Like, and it doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Sometimes sometimes we just graduate and we move on to another you know season that requires us to have different people in our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the reality is that so you know, not every relationship is ending because of toxic toxicity. Sometimes it's because the truth finally caught up with the compatibility, meaning the truth of where we are now we are no longer compatible. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, doesn't mean I'm a bad person. Does it require that some major rupture happened. We are simply no longer compatible and we are doing each other a disservice to continue to be in a relationship when we aren't compatible.
Speaker 1: Okay, period, Drop the mic, listen, and I think in closing, like relationship check ins are so important so you can continue to figure out like are we still a good fit? Like does it make sense for us to even be together? Right? And trying to strike while the iron's hot when something comes up so you're not holding on to resentment. And then a couple questions we want to leave you with if you want to like journal as you're tuning into the episode, or if you're watching us on YouTube since we're on YouTube now. One question is what have you normalized that it's quietly hurting you? And be honest like if when I say to that question, something may have come up for you, like, don't deny it. Be honest with yourself. The next one is what conversations are overdue in your relationship? And the final one is what does emotionally healthy love actually look like for you in this season of your life. We appreciate you for tuning in, and we'll catch you next week, Same Town same place.
Speaker 2: It's doctor dom here from the Cultivating her Space podcast. Are you currently a resident of the state of California and contemplating starting your therapy journey? Well, if so, please reach out to me at doctor Dominique Brusard dot com. That's d R D O M I n I q U E b R O U ss ar D dot com to schedule a free fifteen minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for tuning into Cultivating her Space. Remember that while this podcast is all about healing, empowerment, and resilience, it's not a substitute for therapy. If you or someone you know need support, check out resources like Therapy for Black Girls or Psychology Today. If you love today's episode, do us a favor and share it with a friend who needs some inspiration or leave us a quick five star review. Your support means the world to us and helps keep this space thriving.
Speaker 1: And before we meet again, repeat after me and move in alignment not urgency. What's meant for me? Respond to me, Keep thriving, lady, and tune in next Friday for more inspiration from Cultivating her Space. In the meantime, be sure to connect with us on Instagram, at her space podcast h