Speaker 1: You were listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair.
Speaker 2: Was not con god most fancier.
Speaker 3: When I'm asked why I love Mexico and why we return every year for nearly thirty years, the answer is the culture, cities, food, the seas, the mountains, the history. But what I really love most are the people. And Frida Escobedo is one of those people. We met in twenty eighteen. She had just won the international competition to design the Serpentine Gallery's annual summer pavilion. Richard was on the jury. Her building brought the refined spirit of Mexico to Hyde Park. Richard and I gave a fabulous party celebrating this bright and beautiful young architect not long after living in Mexico for four months. In a difficult time, Frieda made the impossible possible with her care and concern for us both. In the years since, Frida has become one of the world's great architects. Along with other projects, she's reimagining the contemporary and modern galleries at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, the first woman architect to be appointed. Today in the River Cafe, we're making deep Fried zucchini flowers. Their stunning colors remind me of our beautiful Mexico, and when she's not with me, the zucchini flowers remind me of frieda.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 4: Really, it's so nice to be with you again.
Speaker 3: Nice to have you here. We have lots to talk about it. But the first thing, why don't we read the recipe? So people listening to you can learn how to make zucchini flowers.
Speaker 5: Okay, deep fried zucchini flowers. So for six people. Recipe quantity of batter twenty four zucchini flowers, seven hundred and fifty million liters, some flower oil and sea salt, and the recipes. Make the batter and let it rest for thirty minutes. And to prepare the flowers, remove the stamens from the center and the green sepals from.
Speaker 4: The base of each flower. Keep the stalks attached.
Speaker 5: Heat the oil until hot about one hundred and eighty centigrees in a deep pan, and dip the flowers, holding them by the stalks, into the batter. Top off any excess batter on the side of the bowl, and place them one at a time into the hot oil. Turn the flowers over in the oil as they become golden. Remove the flowers when crisp and drain on the kitchen paper, Scatter with sea salt, and eat immediately.
Speaker 2: Do you like them? I love them and I had Would you if you ever cooked them? Would you ever have a recipe? And here they are, there's the zucchini flowers.
Speaker 3: An Archie has just brought them in the chef at the River Cafe. Would you like to talk about the zucchini flowers that you just made?
Speaker 2: Yes? So these are zucchini flowers.
Speaker 6: They're part of the Fritto Misto dish today, so they're being served alongside scallops, cuttlefish, zucchini batons, and sage and lemon. These are I think so special because something you can only get the summer, and to each one zucchini, it's one flower, so you have to take real care when you're prepping them to keep the shape when you're cooking them as well.
Speaker 2: Ours are quite delicate.
Speaker 3: When you make the batter as light as this, I like to always be able to see the zucchini through it. We always have them in Tuscany when we're there in the summer, and one of the things I really like about them is everybody can make them.
Speaker 6: Once they're picked away from the zucchini itself. They don't last very long, so they're always going to be really, really fresh.
Speaker 2: And is there a Mexican version.
Speaker 5: Yes, actually it's one of my favorite foods in Mexico, and we have them in casari, yes, that's right, or you can have them with eggs or in soups. And what I like it is that it's also very fragile, so I only have them for a day, so you have to be like eating them right away, and the calories are pretty yeah.
Speaker 2: Good, thank you, pleasure enjoy.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about your early days. Tell me more about your family.
Speaker 5: I have two sisters, and I grew up in Mexico City. I was living there for my first five years, and then the earthquake happened and my parents got divorced at the same time, so there were two earthquakes in my life. And then they moved to very close neighborhoods to each other so they could still see me all the time, both of them.
Speaker 3: And both your parents were your father was my dad is a doctor. There is a doctor, yes, and.
Speaker 5: Your mother, my mom is a sociologist.
Speaker 2: So tell me.
Speaker 3: About food in your household, would you sit down to dinner altogether? Did you have a cook? Tell me about what life was like food wise in their house.
Speaker 5: We did have a cook and someone who was helping in the house all of the time. But my dad was also very much into cooking, and he makes like these simple but really delicious recipes, especially.
Speaker 4: Good with Mexican food.
Speaker 5: He's great with soups and stews.
Speaker 4: So it's a kind of a lighter version of molet.
Speaker 5: It's more like a soup and it has vegetables and meat in its.
Speaker 2: Likely describe is to people who don't know.
Speaker 5: Molay is this very intricate, very elaborate paste that is made out of chilis, spices, chocolate, banana, and it changes with every family and the type of region that you have it in Mexico, so it can be a darker chocolate, or it can be made out of squash seeds, so it can be green or yellow depending on the nuts or the spices that you use.
Speaker 4: So it's sort of like a verst and of courie.
Speaker 2: And then you always have mode in the French.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think it's a it's a very typical staple in Mexican homehouse and yes, And you can make with chicken, and you can have it with rice, you can have it with eggs. You can have it with cassadillas or infri coladas, which is basically just tortilla with beans inside.
Speaker 3: Would your father cooked during the week it would it be something special he would do.
Speaker 5: It would be mostly on the weekends, but he would also like to make breakfast.
Speaker 4: Or dinner sometimes. And one of my.
Speaker 5: Favorite dishes from him is to rikas what's which is like the leftover bread that you have from.
Speaker 4: The week that is a little bit hard.
Speaker 5: You would put it on an egg butter with vanilla and cinnamon, a French.
Speaker 4: Tas French toast.
Speaker 5: I think it's like a Spanish version of that. And then instead of using powdered sugar, you would use this raw sugar that comes in like this cone.
Speaker 4: We call it biloon cio.
Speaker 5: I don't know the exact translation in English, but you will melt the biloonsiu with a little bit of like lemon juice and the lemon how do you call the zest the lemon sest? Yes, and then you just create the syrup.
Speaker 2: So on the weekends.
Speaker 3: If cooking was something your father did love to do, would he engage you and your sisters in the cookaine.
Speaker 5: Yes, he would love to have me in the kitchen, and he would just tell me these recipes actually very simple ones, most of them coming from my grandmother.
Speaker 3: I remember you talked about a pestle and mortar that you have. Yes, just someone that was from your grandmother to your father to you tell me about that.
Speaker 5: Yes, that was a very special gift I received, and I had to fight for it a little bit with my dad because it's like in every Mexican house you have this volcanic rock mortar. It's called mart and you make everything in that from salsas to grindening spices or just like grinding garlic for some other recipes, and it's passed on from generation to generation. And I think this is a very old one. It's very smooth on the inside, and my father had it when my grandmother passed away. So when I moved into my first apartment, I was asking my dad to give it to me, and he would say, like, not yet. And by the time I returned from my master's degree, I think I was ready to receive the mokat if you finally gave it to me.
Speaker 2: Would your parents take you to restaurants.
Speaker 4: Yes, not too often.
Speaker 5: It was not as common as nowadays, not where people eat out all the time. I remember it being like once a week at most. But what I remember is my mother used to enjoy a lot having desserts outside. Yes, yes, And she's really good at making desserts. And so one of my favorite things was on a rainy day, she would just tell me, like, would you like to go get some cake and tea, and we would drive to Polanco, which was actually very far away from where we lived. I think she just enjoyed like the time and the car and just talking to me and being able to be on one single space.
Speaker 2: What did your mother do?
Speaker 5: She was starting to work at you and women at the time. And we would go to this place in Polanco, which is in a little passage one of these like pedestrian streets inside one of the older buildings, and we would have tart or cake or some chocolate and tea. And I thought it was such a treat to have this in the middle of the week and then just go back and you know, like it seemed like a little celebration, And it was a very intimate time between her and me because it was just like something she and I would do, like no one else was in that bubble, so it felt really special.
Speaker 3: Sounds like food was important in your home, it was important to your parents. And then when you went to university, how did you cope with not having those meals?
Speaker 2: Did you go home a lot? Did you eat out with other students? Did you cook by yourself?
Speaker 5: I have to say that when I was a small child, I ate everything, like everything that was presented to me I would eat. But then I had like this short period as a teenager where I wasn't even like liking food too much, and I think it was more like building my personality because it didn't last too long, and as soon as I moved out of my parents' house, I needed to start cooking by myself. So at the beginning, I was like, I don't know how to cook anything, and it was almost like an a statement, no, like I'm.
Speaker 4: Against that, yeah, because of course my dad was.
Speaker 5: Good at that, my mom was good at that, and I was like, I'm not good to be doing this. But then it was really silly because of course I enjoyed food so much, so I just started cooking no with my boyfriend at a time or with friends. They would come over and we started making like small simple dishes, and then slowly we became like more elaborate and just enjoyed having time spending on the kitchen.
Speaker 3: The River Cafe cafe, steps away from our restaurant, is now open. In the morning an Italian breakfast with cornetti, ciambella and crostada from our pastry kitchen. In the afternoon, ice creamed coups in River Cafe. Classic desserts come in the evening for cocktails with our resident pianists in the bar. No need to book see you here.
Speaker 2: We went to the University of Mexico. When you decide to study.
Speaker 3: Architecture, yes, because you didn't go thinking you were going to be an architecture No.
Speaker 5: I was very decisive as a teenager, and I knew that I wanted to do something with art or design something with my hands. But it was just like until a few days before they closed the exams that I made up my mind.
Speaker 3: You were no longer in a domestic situation with your family, and so you lived in an apartment and.
Speaker 5: It was actually until I graduated that I moved to my own apartment. When you're studying architecture. That's a blessing because it's like very long hours and other ways you just don't take care of yourself at all, no, like it's just like working.
Speaker 3: But then the big change must have been when you went to Harvard, and so what was that like to go from Mexico to in food terms, at Cambridge, it.
Speaker 5: Was quite a shock because of course, like there was again this culture of spending very very long hours looking on your thesis or whatever you were supposed to be doing at the time. Because I had a very generous scholarship to have a small apartment for myself, I didn't have to share, which was a blessing for me because I could really.
Speaker 4: Manage my time.
Speaker 5: And I had a small kitchen and a group of friends who liked to cook, and we would have the mescal, which is a mescale Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Okay, and Tuesday at night or.
Speaker 4: Tuesday at night Tuesday.
Speaker 5: And we were supposed to cook for each other, So we would go around each other houses and we would bring ingredients sometimes from our trips to Mexico, and we would either you know, like small old tortillas or mallet, or we would be doing like the small dishes and then we wouldn't invite all the friends that were not Mexican also, and that kind of started a nice tradition of being able to think of yourself and what you needed, how to bring people that were close to you as a support system, because it's really heavy when you're starting, like you spend all of this time and there's a lot of pressure. It's very competitive, so it's a good reminder that you also have a support system and people that are just there to be with you and that become friends for a lifetime.
Speaker 2: Did you go to restaurants? So when you were in Boston, did you go out?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sometimes we usually did, like Chinese or the less expensive versions of feeding out. It was also nice to try new things and that was actually one of the few ways which you could start getting to know Boston and not just Cambridge. Otherwise you just stay on campus and you basically never leave school. So for me, it was like a little window to what the city of Boston was not like hutting oysters were a lobster.
Speaker 3: That was a treat, very big portions. Did you ever go to Mexican restaurant when you were in Boston? I tried once and it was so that was such a revelation for us when we went to Mexico that you.
Speaker 2: Realized that the food that you had.
Speaker 3: I didn't even go near it in Europe, but even in the United States we thought it was heavy. You get these big plates of six different different ingredients, different ways of cooking them, and it just was so heavy. And then we went to Mexico and as I said, it was a revelation. It was a piece of beautiful fish with as you described as salsa made of tomato and onion and garlic and could use quite a lot of chilantro. Yeah, and we haven't talked about guacamole, and that it was so it was so delicate, and we find and I wonder why well Mexican food didn't travel well, you know, and whether it became a simple I think now it's better. There are more really good restaurants in New York, and there's a great restaurant here in London doing Mexican food, and again the focus on ingredients, you know, but it is it is a very different, different version of what you the Mexican do you think it is?
Speaker 5: And also because Mexican food is so different from bridging to region, then it's hard to tell, like what is Mexican food.
Speaker 4: No, overall, you have the food from the coast, which is.
Speaker 5: Like these grilled fish and just oysters, but also shrimp, and it's very simple, very few ingredients, very simple recipes. And then you have the more elaborate we see No Puebla and elba Hillo with these moorless and salsa that are almost by roque and it's it's making.
Speaker 4: And then Yukata, when you have like the pooled pork.
Speaker 2: Is there a region that you particularly like.
Speaker 4: I love Yukata.
Speaker 5: I think it's just like so tasty and it feels like a comfort food. Sopa the lima, which is like the chicken broth with lima, which is like these sweet lime. I just feel like that is like food for the soul. Every time you have like a something bad happened to you, you go and have soap by the lima and it makes better everything.
Speaker 3: And you started very quickly, didn't you with your own office. You didn't work for anyone else. No, I've never worked for anyone. I have no idea how a restaurant runs, because I've only done it our way.
Speaker 2: Did you ever bring food into your work life?
Speaker 5: Yes, sometimes we would go to my place and we would do like these cooking parties and we would cook together. But it was when we were like just five or four. Now it's a little bit more difficult, but it's a nice tradition. I think it brings the team together and then you really see the personalities and actually you see how they collaborate also in the studio.
Speaker 3: Okay, So as an architect, when you're designing, do you think about public space and food where people will eat, what they'll look at while they're eating, Will they have a view? Will they kitchen be visible? Have you ever designed a restaurant?
Speaker 4: Yes, I am, I am right now?
Speaker 2: Are you whereas it?
Speaker 5: It's going to be in the US, and it's going to be for a dear friend. I'm very happy working with her.
Speaker 2: Tell us about her.
Speaker 5: She has like a very strong personality. She's very charming and she just like walks into the room and everyone turns.
Speaker 4: Around because she's there.
Speaker 5: And I think she has a very magnetic personality. In her restaurant is Contra March Well one of them. She has many, but that's probably the most famous one, and I think it has become like.
Speaker 4: This icon in Mexico City.
Speaker 5: Everyone knows Contra Maage and part of the success is not just the food, which is amazing, but also how it becomes.
Speaker 4: It became.
Speaker 5: Like a gathering space. It's an epicenter for culture and people watching, and everyone wants to go there to CMB scene.
Speaker 3: We had this routine in Mexico when Richard was in the hospital. I would have kind of breakfast with my friend family. They were always late, you know. I'd love the Mexican breakfast at about ten maybe in the morning, ten thirty and then a really delicious breakfast at Nido at Karen, and then I would go to the hospital and then we would meet at about four in the afternoon, very often at Contramar, because everybody came to visit me wanted to go to Contomar, and I loved going. It's a very dramatic space, dramatic and democratic as well. You know, it just feels like you're all in there's no good table, You're all in one big space. You see the kitchen, and then you would have a very late lunch and then I'd go back to the hospital and then a piece of fruit or something very simple for dinner. There was no that was it, and I just thought it was a great way of eating, you know, to have that you know, not big heavy dinner before you go to bed.
Speaker 4: And you're right like the a theist democratic space.
Speaker 5: It's just like a field condition of tables and I think I've only seen or like that at Contra Mart, but also at the Met Cafe, the staff cafet. It was a big surprise, and I love that because it's like the canteen for all the employees and everyone goes to have lunch there and it's really special.
Speaker 2: And the director, yes, yes, curators.
Speaker 5: The curators, the people from maintenance, we that we we spent a year at the Met with our offices there, so we would go down and have lunch there and you would see these mix of people. Some of them would bring their own foods, some people would buy food there, and it was just like a place where you can encounter everyone and actually like really interesting conversations happened there. So it was a working launch, but in a very informal setting, which I feel.
Speaker 4: Like it's very unusual for Americans.
Speaker 5: You know, like usually they're very hard working and they're like very pragmatic, So having these moments of just like casual conversations about work were really special and SPONTANEU.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: If you like listening to Ruthie's Table for would you please make sure to rate and review the podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, O, wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thank you. How do you find New York for food?
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 5: I like that It's so diverse and you can have food from every country really authentic, so you can have great Mexican, great Indian food, Chinese, Japanese everything.
Speaker 2: Are you there much? Are you in New York question?
Speaker 4: I'm there every month.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: And are you're talking there or do not have time to cook?
Speaker 5: No? I also cook like I find like that's my way of relaxing. And I come back from work because lunch is so short in America. Then I'm able to come back home and then just do something simple and I feel like I'm taking care of myself again. And I live in Chelsea.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Nice. So there's good markets there?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, my son used to live in Chelsea and we use the Chelsea Market and then the wonderful one is the Union Square exactly.
Speaker 4: That's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Isn't a great market? It is love that.
Speaker 3: I thought it was very beautiful what you said about a book that I also loved and also a writer that I admire, Joe Didion's Blue, Blue, Blue Lights, Blue Nights. And you said, there's a quote from you saying that about it's a book about loss, but also being a woman, being a mother or not being able to be a mother, about aging and all things that fascinate and terrify me at the moment. And it's a book about utter acceptance. And then you talk about your sister's books, and so do you think we could just talk for a moment about women and writing and women and architecture.
Speaker 5: A few months later, after I finished reading for the second time Blue Knights, my sister finished her first book and it's a series of poems and it's talking about the female body and the female body rhythm, and it has to do with all of the things that happen, know in cycles, And I think it's really special because of course, as women, we know that we're always changing, but they're like these constant flows, so we go back and forth and we understand each other in such rhythms. But some of these rhythms, I think are longer and for me to see someone who's younger than me explaining all of these processes, not like the idea of becoming a woman, of becoming of fertile age, or becoming a woman in menopause or aging, and the whole idea of how people experience manhood from outside but also from the inside became really like an important revelation. No for someone that I saw from being a baby to now expressing all of these very powerful ideas became almost liberating because I couldn't explain them to myself so well as she did with her poetry.
Speaker 3: You know, we're so excited that you're doing the Metropolitan Museum. It meant a lot, I think, as as both a confidence of the established museum to commission this to a relatively young woman. First of all, how do you see it? And also what are the challenges that you face in that Well.
Speaker 5: It's an incredible opportunity, of course, and I think it's almost a reminder that everything big that has happened in my career felt a little bit like that now. I remember the first time that I did a public commission.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe it. Not like I'm doing this on my own.
Speaker 5: I was working almost by myself in my kitchen, and then this commission happened, and then that led to the Serpentine Pavilion, for example, which I couldn't believe, No, like I was the youngest at the time to be doing that that commission. And then now we get the commission for the Metropolitan Museum, and it feels a little bit like that. I No, I felt like, am I up to the task? Am I too young? I've never done a museum like that before. But this is just a series of first times, no like one after the other, and fortunately like each one of them has led to a new adventure. So I've been thinking that I just want to get very good at doing things for the first time.
Speaker 2: What is the what is the brief?
Speaker 5: We're commissioned to do the renovation for the Modern and Contemporary wing, And of course the challenge is that it's an encyclopedic museum and you have like all the history of humankind condensed into one single building, you know, with many different ways of seeing human culture and approaching it. But contemporary culture is growing and extending, and it's something that is open ended. But it's also what's so fascinating to me because it's not something that has been closed as a moment in history. It's something that continues to evolve. So that was kind of like the departure point, something that would be flexible and open to interpretation, and that would allow for new publics to come in. And that was in the constant process of becoming. And there's this beautiful moment in the Metropolitan Museum facade that Cosue Palma, someone who's working in the project, pointed out very early on during the competition, to me, and it's this detail of an unfinished piece in the facade, and it's right there.
Speaker 4: A few people notice it.
Speaker 3: So you come up the steps and it's not the right it's on the cornices, on the top of the curs and you can see like the these raw blocks of.
Speaker 5: Stone that are uncarved, and it's strange. And some people say, like, well, they ran out of money at the time, they didn't finish it. But to me, it's one of the most beautiful and interesting moments because it's this idea that this is the full potential. This is in the project and on the process of being inscripted. It hasn't been yet, but someone might tell the story in the future. And I think that was the most inspiring thing, and that's what we want to do, not like something that becomes not just a container, but also a place where people can gather and express themselves and to see themselves reflected in the art that they're going to see, and therefore to continue to tell other stories that have not been inscripted yet in that space.
Speaker 3: Where actually is the I'm trying to think where that way is? So it's the hot you go straight through, don't you.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's on the southwest corner of the museum.
Speaker 2: And where at stage are you in now?
Speaker 5: We just finished concept and we're starting schematic design, so we still have a few more years ago and the completion is expected to happen in twenty thirty.
Speaker 3: And I look at your work and I see the way you've progressed. Have seen your work and your office. You have office in Mexico, and you're working in New York, and you're working now hopefully in Paris, and I hope in London. I'm jealous. Now I want to do a restaurant with you. Well, then, but that would be the incentive to do another restaurant.
Speaker 2: But do you feel that you're growing slowly?
Speaker 3: Or in that way, or do you I think so to conquer the world in a big way too.
Speaker 4: Not in a big way.
Speaker 5: I think we're similar in that I never worked for anyone. So it's this combination between being in my case being a little bit stubborn, you know, like saying like I can do this, and of course the easier path would be to follow someone's steps, and it's non arrogant to say like, I don't want to follow someone, because you're at the same time admiring so many people no and just looking.
Speaker 4: Up to them.
Speaker 5: But it's just like trying to do it yourself, and it's more painful sometimes and it's slower, and you need to rely a lot on the people that are working with you. But I enjoy that very much because it's almost a way of building an extended family because you work so much time with them, you share your hopes and dreams with them, and you have to really trust them because that's all you've got, you know, like you can lose everything, and then you lose everything and you start over again. So it starts very very small. I still consider my office to be very small.
Speaker 4: We're eleven in.
Speaker 5: New York and nineteen in Mexico City, something like that. The numbers fluctuate a little bit, but I still consider it to be a small studio and I know all of them. I try to spend time as much as I can with them, and it has been a matter of also explaining to them, like how we want to grow. Sometimes they will come to me and say like, how.
Speaker 4: Do you want to grow? Where are you heading?
Speaker 5: Like these things that are happening so fast, like the met or these new competitions.
Speaker 4: How do you want to handle them?
Speaker 5: And to me, it's the idea of growing is maturing, no, rather than being bigger and getting bigger projects, is like better projects, better clients. And then finally, the ultimate goal would be to have more time on each project and then you can really spend some time thinking about something. And I know that architecture is really slow, but I want to have even more time, and so I want to go even slower. That would be the ultimate goal.
Speaker 3: I always ask if food is something that connects you to your family, is something you do with your parents, that you explore with friends or with lovers, or travel or work the people you work. It's also comfort and I think in times of my own experience with certain foods that I when I needed comfort, that I would associate with comfort.
Speaker 2: What would be your comfort food?
Speaker 5: My comfort food would be my father Striquez, And that dish from my dad is to me like the thing that brings me back to my feet and makes me remind.
Speaker 4: Myself that everything will be all right.
Speaker 5: And the other one is my mom's start at I and associate that with a more celebratory aspect of life. So one is about comfort and the other one is about like the joys of life.
Speaker 4: And we usually have.
Speaker 5: It for birthdays or for special occasions or I feel also when she's feeling a little bit down, she would cook at tatatan and then everything is just like sweet and crisp.
Speaker 2: Again. Yeah, I love Inflida.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you so much, really
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with montclaird