Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. I'm Stephen Carroll and this is Here's Why, where we take one news story and explain it in just a few minutes with our experts here at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: The first joint intervention in fifteen years to live the Japanese currency from a year four decade low.
Speaker 3: They have a weekending in and they wanted a little bit of help, and we're always there for Japan. Ja Benjmin very good do it. To quote Lord Palmerston, you know countries have interest andal allies. I mean, I know Japan's a bit of an ally, but basically it's in their interests.
Speaker 2: There's a fundamental change that's taking place in Japan in terms of inflation now existing. We finished with the multi decade era of mild deflation in Japan.
Speaker 1: It was a landmark intervention in currency markets, Japan and the United States working together to prop up the value of the yen for the first time in over a decade, and it worked, at least initially. The end strengthened as much as five percent from where it had been trading, which was close to the weakest level against the dollar in forty years, and there could be more to come. Here's why a week yen isn't just Japan's problem. Our executive editor for Asian Markets, Paul Dobson, joined us now for more. Paul, first of all, can you just explain to us why has the end been so weak and what does that meant for Japan's economy.
Speaker 3: Hi, there's Stephen. So the yen has been on more or less a continual downtrend for several years. It's under pressure for some long standing reasons and some relatively more recent reasons. I think primarily, interest rates in Japan are lower than the rest of the world, and even though the boj has started to raise interest rates, you can get more bang for your buck in many other jurisdictions it were. So there's what we call in the market the carry trade, where people borrow Japanese yet and essentially put it into other assets all around the rest of the world that earn a higher yield, and so that has one currency weakening effect. Those interest rate differentials are really important for currency valuation in general. On top of that, though, you've got a certain degree of mistrust in the Japanese government and the Japanese economic policies because Japan is sitting on such a large debt pile. The market worries about how much the government is going to spend, and each time it signals that it's going to you know, ease taxes or anything like that, they have that sort of distrust dynamic, which is adding a risk premium to the end, a little bit like you have with the British pound. And on top of that, there's the cost of oil, which is important for Japan because it's a net energy importer, and during the recent conflict in the Middle East, that's pushed up those costs a lot for Japan, which has had a negative impact on the growth outlook and therefore also weighed on the currency.
Speaker 1: So all of that's led us to a situation where we saw this intervention jointly by Japan and the United States. Why did the US get involved, because it's highly unusual that they have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there's several different reasons that the US has offered for this, and some that it hasn't said so explicitly.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: First and foremost, both Donald Trump and Treasury Secretary Bessent have talked about this idea of friendship. And it is true that you can use your currency as one way of building trust and relationship with your allies. The US has military ties with Japan, and it wants to firm up those relationships. We saw something similar in a way with its support for Argentina as well using currencies, So there is that kind of sense that they genuinely want to help out under Japan itself didn't want the currency to weaken any further because it was starting to cause some sort of financial and economic risks there. I think there's also on top of that a sense of wanting something in return from the US. So it has this trade deal with Japan where Japanese over time is supposed to be investing large amounts of money in the US economy. It's much easier for them to do that from a position of strong yen than it is from a week again or a prospect of a continually weakening yen, so that stability helps. I think there's also maybe some element of self defense from the US, because if Japan wanted to unilaterally act in currency markets to stem the yen losses, then what it might do is sell some of its holdings of US government bonds. And that matters because it holds an awful lot of US government bonds. So if it were to liquidate those assets in order to sell the US dollar get US dollars it can sell to buy Japanese yen, that would have a damaging impact on the US treasury market at a time when yields are already at the tops of recent long term ranges. So that would be more troublesome development for the US and therefore sort of helping out in this way defends the US treasury market. If you listen to Scott Bessent, he has a fourth kind of reason, which is I think you know, and this is where he's wearing his hedge fund manager's hat opportunity because they do genuinely think that the yen is undervalued at these levels. So what they've done essentially has shifted some of their money out of euros and into Japanese yen based on the hope, the prospect, the confidence that over time those holdings will gain in value as well as the Japanese economy sort of turns the corner and really starts to grow.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a number of reasons why the US has done this On the question of the risk of Japan selling US treasuries, though, does this intervention remove that risk or is it still present.
Speaker 3: Doesn't remove it entirely, but it has helped the US in a couple of ways. One, both Bessent and Japan's Finance Minister Kasiyama have drawn attention to this facility the Federal Reserve offers where it's possible to use treasuries as collateral against dotor loans in order to get your hands on dollars that you could use to intervene in the currency markets, as we were discussing. So that's one way that they're looking to ease the risk of Japan selling treasuries. You know, it depends whether they can genuinely stabilize the yen at these levels or whether it will continue to weaken, and there will need to be further efforts from Japan over time. What we've seen in the market, although as you said, the initial response was pretty strong, the follow through hasn't been that dramatic. The en has started to dribble a little bit lower again. So the real test will be whether we can stabilize at these slightly stronger levels or whether we do start that drift weaker again, which would put more pressure on the Japanese government to act some more and would therefore, you know, put those treasuries at risk again.
Speaker 1: So what's likely to trigger the potential for more intervention if that were to be neededs.
Speaker 3: So outright levels seem to be one thing the government is wary of. Definitely one sided bets is another. So if it seems like most of the market wants to sell the U, that would be something that they would probably want to step into a little bit more urgently and radically. The pace of change is something that they often talk about as being another watchword, although in recent times the weakness in the end was very slow and gradual. It wasn't a kind of chaotic seller or anything like that, so maybe that doesn't count so much as how weak it is relative to sort of long term averages, how weak it is on an outright basis as well. It's not entirely harmful for Japan to have a week a yen. It does help in terms of its exports to the rest of the world, so from technology for cars and those kinds of things, but the benefits from a week agen at these levels are less obvious, and in fact, you know, there were also the costs related to buying more imports sort of more harmful. So I think that they will want to make it a little bit more clear that there's a redline here and that they won't tolerate a rapid move back to the levels above one sixty that we saw over the last f weeks.
Speaker 1: We've talked a lot about the US involvement in this, what other economies are affected by these kinds of moves in the end.
Speaker 3: Sort of immediately, it was interesting to note that South Korea appears to have had some sort of a role in what we saw in the interventions as well. So the one actually had been weakening in tandem with the Japanese yen for a lot of this year, but rebounded at the start of last month and was already strengthening. So it got a little bit turbocharged by those moves, and so we've got a stronger one. So the Korean economy, the chip ex borders won't benefit so much from a week again, but it will probably stabilize the economic outlook for South Korea a little bit more. It was interesting the US was selling euros to buy those yen, but it doesn't seem to have caused a great deal of stir there hasn't been too much pushed back from Europe on that, so really, you know, the US and Japan are the two most important things to think about. I think the other thing that you know, when Scott Besson was talking to CNBC was drawing attention to as well was the risk that if the yen did continue to weaken and when a long way further than that could raise the risk of competitive devaluation. So other countries, including maybe China and South Korea deliberately allowing their currencies to weaken as well to remain competitive with Japan. So that would be a big pitch of long term thing rather than an immediate concern, But it was there in the background as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll plenty to keep us with our eyes closely focused on the yen and its movements in the future. Paul Dobbs and our executive editor for Asia Markets, thank you very much. For more explanations like this from our team of three thousand journalists and analysts around the world, go to Bloomberg dot com slash explainers. I'm Stephen Carroll. This is here's why. I'll be back next week with more. Thanks for listening.