Speaker 1: Following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com right with Nick Eatman, Brian Broddus, and bar Garcia and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, welcome back to another episode of The Break here at s WBC Studios. I was like, I was about to say something else I'm not used to doing in the opening, Derek is clearly not here. I am joined by Brian Brodus and Nick Eatman.
Speaker 6: What's up? They always come back, don't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on your shoe.
Speaker 7: Can't get rid of them, know I would get rid of the gum on the shoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotta get rid of that.
Speaker 7: Change the shoe, change that shoe.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 5: You guys know Derek and Patrick are not here today, so we're gonna do the whole show as we get ready for tomorrow's final preseason game, which the Gobboys will be going up against the Raiders at AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 6: So I wanted to start.
Speaker 5: Off the show with the news that have been happening since our last show. We learn about Sam Williams's arrest and we haven't discussed this on the show just yet. He was arrested last weekend for possession of a control substance and unlawful caring of a weapon. The team since then has come out and spoke about it, Jerry Jones, Mike McCarthy and basically saying that yes, they've addressed the issue, they don't expect any changes. He's expected to play this weekend, but wanted to get your thoughts on your opinion of him as a player, what he's doing outside of the field, how that is affecting him on the field and around the locker room, and just whatever thoughts you have.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there were some questions about Sam Williams when he was before he was drafted at Mississippi. There were teams that were going in there and digging in on and much like what you do the normal, you know, trying to get the background, talking to coaches, talking to equipment men, you know, trainers, whoever you have to do. And there's some people that did have questions. Were they you know, were they things that were terminal. Some teams felt like that maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble. The Cowboys had done their due diligence on the player, so they had an idea of potentially what they're getting into. Unfortunately for Sam, he's early in his career.
Speaker 2: He's found a way.
Speaker 8: To put himself in some bad situations, usually when it's him in a car, whether it's him dealing with us beating or what we've just came up with here. But it just kind of shows you, though, that you can control things to a point when you have your players at the facility. Your biggest worry as a front office member is when these players leave the building and go do other things, and you know, you could do all you can to say, Okay, we feel like we have a handle on what Sam is as a person and that he'll be able to take care of things. But Sam's proven, at least the last couple of years, there's been some difficulty on the way. But we also remember the first three years of Ezekiel Elliott and a lot of us thought, man, he's not going to make it to the second contract, so here we go, but you know, and things then turned around. So hopefully those things will work in Sam Williams favor, that maybe he won't put himself in these situations that he has been the last couple of times out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you just don't want it to be always. You don't want to be the guy that has always has something, you know, and minor, major, whatever it is. And I don't think we're hitting the major points. Yeah, but when you get a bunch of minor things, then it'd always becomes something. And kind of like you said that, when they leave the facility, what happens, what happens.
Speaker 2: And you know, I.
Speaker 7: Think that he's a fun player to watch. I said this on on one O five to three this morning when we were talking to the guys. I thought McCarthy's quote about he needs to slow down, I don't he's not just talking about driving the car. He's talking about just living his life, living life and slowing down, which sounds very easy for any player to do. Just slow down. Your job is to speed up. Your job is to is to wreck havoc every single time that the ball is snapped. And I do think it's a tough balance for young guys to to. They're living their life a certain way, they play a football and they got to slow down. I wonder how NASCAR drivers drive around the street. Really, it's what I wonder, you know what I mean, like like that's their job to do that. But yet when real life hits you gotta you got to calm down. That's just the balance that I think all young players have.
Speaker 8: To figure It also shows you what they think of Sam though as a player. Usually if you start to add things up and you're getting in trouble a lot, they find a way to move on from you, you know, And that's I hate to admit that, but that's the truth, you know. I mean, the players are treated. You could go back to the history of Jimmy Johnson here or any coach. Hey, you treat your star players differently than you do maybe some of the guys in the.
Speaker 2: Bottom of the roster. That's just that's just the way it is.
Speaker 8: So But to Nick's point, Mike's right about the you know, slow down, slow down in life. I mean, don't you don't have to live it the way you're living it. And hopefully he'll learn. I mean, it's it's it's tough. It's a tough it's a tough balance. So you know you're not in Oxford, Mississippi anymore. You can't get out of the things that you probably once got out of and now you know you're you're That spotlight is clearly on you, and you make national news when you pull stunts like this.
Speaker 6: The good thing is he's a very likable guy.
Speaker 5: You really like the guy interview. He doesn't you when you talk to him. He doesn't mean any harm or anything bad. And the Cowboys have shown their support. I think Mike McCarthy mentioned, or I can't remember if it was him or Jerry Jones, the word maturity. I can say maturity, maturity. He needs to mature and that you presented the Ezekiel example, which is a great example. But I think he's gonna find the right way to do things and and learn from it and hopefully keep improving because everything we've seen on the field so far we love. Obviously slowing down in certain areas where he's making those mistakes. Uh, that needs to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, that's when I was.
Speaker 8: I was with you guys when Ezekiel it was here, and uh, you know the early part, and I remember just having meetings like we were always on alert. You know, there was always something that Nick was always saying, Hey, well, somebody bring their iPad. You know, we're going to lunch. There might be something happening that we need to work on here. And you know, there was always something that we were dealing with. And then that part went away, and good for Zeke and hopefully it will for Sam.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: But one of the things that helped it go away for Zeke was getting suspended six games. And so like you said about about Sam Williams, it saysn't Mississippi anymore where maybe things were and this is not just one school. It's happened to a lot of places where star players. Whatever happens that I'm not saying it gets covered up, but it gets taken caddled, it gets taken care of their caddle. And so far with Sam Williams, a couple of things happened and maybe it doesn't affect him on the field, but it's gonna have to affect you on the field, I think for them to maybe wake up. Hopefully it doesn't, but that could be a situation.
Speaker 8: What we've learned working for the Dallas Cowboys is that you do not want to put your fate in the hands of those folks in New York City, you know, with the NFL office, you don't want to do that because ultimately it like it's, well, this is this many game suspension?
Speaker 2: What what? No?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: What about?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: This guy was far worse. That guy was far worse. What are we doing?
Speaker 8: So yeah, you just don't want them to step in on discipline, like Nick says, but it'll get your attention when they do financially, and you know, maybe I could say the number of games you might miss.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, let's switch gears a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yesterday Dak got a time, the chance to talk to the media, and I wanted you guys to comment on something that he said.
Speaker 6: He was talking about how great.
Speaker 5: He feels about where they are this year and talking about how much different it is than last year at this point, as far as the installation and everything that they're doing.
Speaker 6: Do you guys believe that I'm.
Speaker 5: Not saying like but you know, because sometimes we hear from players, Oh, I feel great obviously when speaking mainly about injuries and things like that, but in general, you hear those comments from guys like them. But as far as him talking about the installation, you know, all the changes that have occurred with my McCarthy now taking over for the play calling and all the new weapons that they currently have on offense, Do you guys feel that you have seen that during the course of training camp.
Speaker 7: I think so. I mean I remember that a few years ago you saw we say Dak friendly offense. I think this is a Dak friendly offense. I think that you know, he most quarterbacks love to check it down. I mean, you know, it's an easier throw, but they're checking it down to receivers that are open, that are schemed open, that are crossing over the middle. It's not just throwing it to Schultz for eight yards and seeing that he can get a first down. It's clicks on the move, it's gallop on the move, it's running backs out of the backfield. I think it's a good offense for Dak that also is going to be able to show how much speed that they have. So yeah, I can see where he's a little bit more comfortable with it because it's an offense that he understands. But also I think that they have some big play capabilities with these guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The only way we get to really see how this offense is functioning is through practice because we haven't seen it well as far as Dak and the ones go. The guys that are going to run the you know they're gonna be the primary starters, you know, and it's gone up against one of the better defenses we feel in the league, and you know, there hasn't been those times. I think early in camp there were some protection issues that they were dealing with, and then things have kind of worked their way clean in some of those areas, maybe some of the questions they had. And now you get Zach Martin back, you get more of Terrence Steele practicing. Now you've got you know, you get Tyler Smith feeling more comfortable at left guard, Tyron Smith, all these things. You know that kind of but Nick's right, the routes, the combination, the way they're scheming, the way they're getting guys open, the route we saw the other day down the goal line, the swing that you went to Rico daddle off the pick. You know, those are kind of little hints that you could say, ah, okay, and you could see why. But if things were going bad, you would see it in practice. You would see balls being overthrown, you know, receiver stopping and balls now being overthrown, or balls not going to where they needed to be, or guys open and they're not finding I don't think when a new offense, new scheme, you worry about the installation of like everybody being on the same page. I know in the Jacksonville game, there was a couple of times with you know, when they were doing with Jalen Brooks, you know balls, but you know the second team ball going over his head route was a receiver coure. Those are the things that are the keys to tell you if things are being are smooth or not. And I think with the ones you're you're you're kind of been watching practice and it's there's not those those errors that you would give.
Speaker 6: I think like they're more on the same page.
Speaker 8: That's yeah, that's it, And I think that it's really I've really been impressed just watching practice and watching Brian Schottenheimer the way he's kind of involved. Mike is back with the walkie talkie kind of surveying. But you got coaches, and they've got a lot of new coaches, new line coach, new quarterback coach, new oc you know, they've got a lot of coaches and that's the one thing you would worry about that there's so much newness to this that it wouldn't look it wouldn't look like it's together. Their cohesiveness that you would want in the offense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they throw the ball in the in the red zone very well. Like that's one thing. And it's hard to tell sometimes in practice because maybe they hold on to it for three or four seconds when in reality.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 7: But I still like the way you see in the two point plays, the red zone, the goal line. They throw the ball well in there. I think that they've completed a lot of passes. I just like what you're seeing there because if you can do that, then it should open up a little bit more running game to also run inside the red zone. So you've got to be able to score in there. Don't leave it up to your field goal.
Speaker 8: This team, if you believe in analytics, plays at a very fast paced they're the they're the fastest playing team in the league when it comes to getting up running plays and you know and the number that they do. So if they continue to do that, if you see that and you see it in practice, they try to play at a little bit quicker pace and so to me, Yeah, if you were, if you were struggling, you wouldn't be able to You would bog down. You would say, oh, we're you know, run that again, run that, you know, coach, can I see that again? You know that you don't always hear that in practice, and that's something that kind.
Speaker 2: Of leads you to believe that.
Speaker 8: You know, there McCarthy might be one of these guys that believes, well, if there's a bust, will coach.
Speaker 2: It in the meeting room.
Speaker 8: We're not going to stop practice to coach something up, you know.
Speaker 2: And I and I don't hear that quite a bit.
Speaker 7: Very important of Jalen Tolvert cavan terping those four or five receivers, maybe even six, because when you do play at that pace, you're throwing the ball around, you throw it deep, it's incomplete or whatever you're moving. You need to get those other receivers in there a lot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that happened the other day, and you know the touchdown that that they were that was it thinking about. They got the touchdown Tolbert. Tolbert got the touchdown right before the half against Jacksonville. He got the push off on the outside. Had to come back that was a series where they were playing hurry up two minute ball, and you know, and those receivers were having to get downfield, having to run routes, a lot of long places, oh penalty, come back, run it again, you know that kind of thing, and they were able to finish the drive like Nick talked about, you know, with the with the touchdown to Tolbert. So those receivers are having to do a lot of this like run, come back, run, come back, run, come back, that kind of thing. And I think that when you know, when you get tired, it's easy to kind of fall apart, and we haven't really seen that from this crew.
Speaker 5: Well, let's go ahead and take our first break. We will be hopefully answering some fan questions during the last segment of the break. You guys can text us at eight one seven, two ninth zero three two nine eight eight one seven two nine zero three two ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 2: Of course? What's up? Well?
Speaker 3: I just thought you should know. I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 2: Have you fought this way a long time?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 7: If you feel that way, I think you should try it.
Speaker 2: Babe.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. I mean, you're amazing too, dude.
Speaker 11: Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb.
Speaker 2: Go to get Jack Black dot com.
Speaker 11: Slash Cowboys and use the code word cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim Bucks free shipping.
Speaker 12: Hey Cowboys fans. Ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kiero guacamole and be the game day hero. The o kiro means I want and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamolely your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero Yo Kiero walcom only.
Speaker 8: Back to the break, watch two of Texas best high school football team's face off in the third annual Jerry Jones Classic presented by Waterburger. The Rockwall Yellow Jackets will take on the Cedar Hill Longhorns on Saturday, August twenty sixth at one pm under the lights at the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Get your tickets now at SeatGeek dot com. You won't want to miss this.
Speaker 6: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: This is a second segment off the Break presented by blockchain dot com dot com.
Speaker 2: You got it right. I'm waiting for a dinger. I didn't hear a dinger. Busy, busy, busy. There he goes, there he goes on screen.
Speaker 6: Thanks Chris. Okay.
Speaker 5: So I wanted to hit another point that was talked about yesterday in the press conference. It was the whole safety linebacker hybrid role that is being talked about on defense. A guy that specifically was mentioned was Jaren Curse and his ability, his versatility of being able to play different positions.
Speaker 6: On the field.
Speaker 5: So wanted to see kind of your vision how you think this is going to translate once the season gets started, or what this defense might look like for the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, Jaron Curse is the guy that is very similar to to overshown. I think they drafted him with the idea of, you know, who knows how long Curse will be or is on a one year deal of his contract, but that kind of hybrid player is what they're looking for. And you know, when they're all healthy and Donovan Wilson comes back, Malik Hooker and then you have Curse. I think they're going to be in good shape there, But I'm Overshown was just another tool in the toolbox that they were excited to have for this year. I think Marquise Bell maybe be able to do some stuff, maybe Jabril Cox, but but I don't think it's going to be at the same level though.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the thing that was it's I feel terrible for the coaching staff on this one, because I they had an idea of what they needed to do with Overshown. I think that they when they looked at him at Texas and the evaluation and the scouts and Sam Guarza and Chris Hall and these guys were talking about the player. I think Dan Quinn and the coaches had an idea and then all of a sudden they said, let's see if we can do this. They throw them in the deep end of the pool. At the OTA's mini camps, he's calling the defenses, He's all of a sudden, he's green dot on the helmet. There's like they're thinking, Okay, let's keep loading the wagon on this kid and see if he just.
Speaker 2: Short circuits and he never did.
Speaker 8: Then all of a sudden you're watching him play and the first six plays of the game he's made three tackles. Now you're sitting there going, ah, we've got something here. We figured this out, and that's what's unfortunate. I think there were some packages that they were going to do. We've seen them line up lighton vander Esh as an edge and rush him with Micah. You know, how do you get around that taking him out of a key position, vander Esh and putting him up on the line. Well, wait a minute, you got to have Clark, you got to have Overshown, you got to have I hope they didn't lose some packages along the way because they lost Overshown and it might be like, we don't have anybody else now, you know the thoughts about Marquis Bell similar type of body style. If you follow the games the last couple of weeks, he's always on the top of the list of the tackle sheet. Guy gets double digit tackles playing in the game.
Speaker 2: So maybe you're.
Speaker 8: Thinking like, well, let's put this kid in there and let's see if he could play that role. So, yeah, curse is going to be the primary what they call a sub a nickel dime linebacker. He's down, but you also could take Bell and put him down there too, if you had to. Maybe you develop him in that role. It's probably not gonna be as cute and pretty as what overshown because of all the things he could do, but maybe you can make it. It still might allow you to the flexibility to move other guys where you might want to. And that dan Quinn, that when you talk about putting Layton vander USh on the edge, that is a defense that you show one time in a game, like it's like it's a third down late in the game and it's like, we got to get off the field. Here, throw that one at him. They haven't seen vander Rush as a rush as an edge all game and boom and then you get a you know, you get a stop, you get off the field. There's your one time that it actually works. So yeah, those that's the great thing about these defensive coaches. They are very creative with their personnel. Whoever you give them, they will find ways to plug them in in certain spots.
Speaker 7: And with Micah on the field, that other guys have to be that way. Yeah, because he's moving, and if he moves, then that means you have to move. That means Daurn's has to flip sides or like you said, vandersh has to rush. Another thing about the Marquis Bell and whoever the safety linebacker is is that you got to remember that it's not just about having the strength to also play linebacker. It's really more of the awareness to like understand where things are going to be. And that's one thing I've liked that at Marquis Bell. He's made some plays behind the line of scrimmage where he just kind of snuffed it out. And that's what I think Overshown is good at, and that's something that I think Bell can also be good at.
Speaker 8: It helps, though, when you have if you can get those linemen in front to hold blocks too, And that's the deals with you know, with Hankins and what we've seen with Bohanna. I think, by the way, that's an interesting battle to keep an eye on what's going on. How many defensive tackles these one techniques they might keep. You know, this is an important game for Gallimore, Bohanna guys like that going forward. But the guys like Bell and these linebackers.
Speaker 2: Their ability to.
Speaker 8: Get to the ball A lot will have to do with what's going on at these defensive tackle spots.
Speaker 5: Well, let's go ahead and transition to my next question, which is exactly that this is the last game that they're playing in the preseason. We know that roster cuts are happening on Tuesday. So give me a name that where this is.
Speaker 6: A make or break.
Speaker 5: This is their last chance where they could it could really go either way, either they make it or they just get cut.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna throw a name in here from the text line TJ from Baltimore. He says, who needs to have a bounce back week? This on Saturday's game, So kind of along those lines of somebody that needs to play well.
Speaker 8: I think there's I mentioned those defensive tackles because I don't know if they're going to be able to keep all of them with the way the roster, you know, and I don't know if it's but there's a competition right now. I mean, Hankins and moles he are the guys, right. Can Bohm or Neville Gallimore make them keep a just a true one technique there?
Speaker 2: You know? Can I'm like another you know, another another one.
Speaker 8: And that's where I think that Bohannah has played and this is where I kind of look at with Mazzi. It's taken Bohanna a couple of years to kind of figure things out. I think Mazzi's in that group right now where he's kind of like caught between playing against Northwestern in a Big ten game and playing against the Vegas Raiders this weekend. Technique wise, I think he's somewhere in between there trying to kind of figure all that out, and I think it's slowing him up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to get to the Ohio s tea game.
Speaker 8: But I think that I think Quentin Bohanna and I'll give you, I'll give you an offensive guy too. And I really think Simmi Fajoco is in that position too, where that he has got to try and find a way to put himself into that wide receiver conversation.
Speaker 2: You know, it might already be too late. I mean him Brooks.
Speaker 8: You know, Brooks has kind of had a little bit of some really good in practice, not so good in a game, kind of found his way back. Do you keep five or six wide receivers? Who's the sixth wide receiver here. So I think those are the two really the two spots that that I'm looking at right now and thinking, if you just sit off the top of your head, who are guys that need to show up?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 7: Will Greer is gonna Yeah, he played he played well at times. He's played well in the first two games. He's had some also some other moments where not so great. And I just wonder if they're going to have like you have to go short somewhere, you know, and tied in. I don't believe they will. I think they're gonna have four tight end with McEwan. So do they go six receivers? I mean, do you do you have four running backs? I mean some point you have to go short here. And I don't know if quarterbacks gonna be the spot or not. I know, I understand the new rule, but the new rule doesn't help you if you don't have three on the roster, right, So are you gonna put three on the roster? Are you gonna just try to go practice squad and elevate one. Yeah, you can only do that three times and then you gotta get another quarterback in here. So I don't know what they're gonna do with Will Greer.
Speaker 8: I think that Will Greer has had, as you mentioned, has had moments where you're like, all right, that's you know, there you go, and then the you know, unfortunately, there's been the time where you know, the interception just came at a terrible time the other day, Yeah, it just did. It's just you're driving, You're trying to go. You know, you get back in the game the way you need to and you know, give your team a little momentum and you know you and like I say, hey, Douce fun is trying his best to block. Okay, he takes on the rusher, he kind of knocks into the side. He gets knocked to the side. Now Greer's got to run and he's throwing the ball back to the inside and you're like, no, don't do that. And then you know there's a play where they're you know, they had a chance to get the third down and he doesn't run and he tries to throw the ball just you know, and you're like.
Speaker 2: Going, and you're going, You're going. This is a veteran guy.
Speaker 8: I know he hasn't played a lot of NFL games, but no, this isn't like this isn't the guy from you know, from Western Carolina that you just got, you know, from you know that hasn't played a lot of game. This guy has played a lot of games collegiately, and you know, he's spent on NFL rosters. He's he's practiced. He knows better than that. And that's where you you you struggle is has he shown you enough to say, yeah, we're going to keep a third quarterback and not have an extra an extra guy in the secondary, or an extra linebacker or one of these extra guys. I don't know. I don't I can't say that with any certainty that I would go that route right now.
Speaker 5: And at this point, I mean, if you let's say you cut him and then you signed some other quarterback, young guy coming in here, you're starting over from zero.
Speaker 6: I mean that's how it's always worked.
Speaker 5: But again it doesn't necessarily fully in my you have surprises at times. But let's say something crazy was to happen where we've seen it. Your first guy, second guy go down, and then you're in need of your third quarterback.
Speaker 8: If that, if that's the point, then we start the draft show. Yeah, yeah, exactly, another year of you just got being really unhappy.
Speaker 5: Yes, but that's not going to happen. That's definitely not going to happen. So who were your two guys aside from the quarterback question?
Speaker 7: Uh, that that need to play well, anybody on the offensive line that's going to get in the game. And I don't know if it's just to make the team, it's also going to be making decisions on who do they make active? You know, I mean, what what happens with Ball and farnioc and and well let's go Hoffman awesome Richards. You know that it's there's a lot to be There's a lot of questions to answer. And I really feel like there's four players, four to five players that are on other teams right now that are going to be on this team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's them, not for Yeah, I think that the first cut there's gonna be something that roster manipulation where a guy like maybe Nashean Wright is on the active roster for one day and then the next day he's cut.
Speaker 2: Or put on I R kind of a thing.
Speaker 8: I just think there's this team is not going to look like by by like maybe Thursday Friday, it's probably gonna look like a completely different team than what they reduced the roster to on Tuesday. So yeah, there's there's always the possibility of claims. I think I made the point that I felt like that Will and these guys might be working on a trade, you know, if you were to trade. I mean, I know I asked the question of my guys at one o five to three, do you go out and try and trade for an offensive tackle or you try and trade for a guard center combination guy? And you know, I've had people, I know, I've had people say no, you trade for the tackle, and others have said, no, you go for the center guard guy. Because again it's the you know, how what's your trust factor with UH, you know, with UH, with UH, with the with all these guys, with a lot of them, all these guys you know well and be oddish and stuff like that, health, you know and stuff. So where's your you know, what's the combination? And it always goes.
Speaker 6: Like Martin and Tyler Smith. I think they're pretty solid, Yeah.
Speaker 8: But it always goes back to and we always and you don't even want to talk about it was the whole thing with Tyron Smith.
Speaker 2: You don't even want to, you know.
Speaker 8: But you're gonna wake up in week five and it's going to be you know, something happened here we go, you know, and now you're shuffling around.
Speaker 7: Can I ask this deathline question, Ryan Longview? He says, can Awesome Richards hold up at swing tackle because what you just said with Tyron's situation, Yeah, I would have probably gone with a little bit more depth at that position, like a guy that probably should be starting. But you know, we're having them as a backup right now and they really haven't done that. It looks like it's going to be Richard's well Let's Go has been banged up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but is that any point?
Speaker 5: Is the consideration of moving Tyler Smith back out out of the question, like if something was to happen, would they just slide him?
Speaker 8: Then that's what you need to You need to know who your guard get you. Yeah, you feel better about your guard situation. I would I would say this, I would keep It's gonna sound crazy, I'd keep Tyler Smith and go with Awesome Richards.
Speaker 2: I just feel like I feel like that Awesome Richards.
Speaker 8: Has shown me that he is better than Well Let's Go and anybody else that's uh that's played.
Speaker 2: You know outside there, I mean you.
Speaker 8: It, you know, you know Taylor Prelo and you know, I mean, there're those guys to me are like practice squad guys. Now, how you feel about TJ.
Speaker 2: Bass?
Speaker 8: See, that's the thing that's kind of the wild card here that if you feel good enough about TJ Bass filming a guard, then maybe that you move. So the determination is who do you feel better about, Awesome Richards or TJ Bass. That's gonna make your decision on Tyler Smith? On Tyler Smith.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and give credit to Tyler Smith for being good enough that that is the question. Yeah, it's the backup question. It's not which one is Tyler Smith better at? He's he can do either one right. That I think should not be overlooked that this guy is so good that you're not worried about how he does, You're worried about who would be replacing him the best. That's pretty valuable for a second year guy.
Speaker 6: All right, let's take our final break.
Speaker 5: When we come back, we're gonna keep answering some of y'all's question through the text line. I'll give it to you guys one more time eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 4: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beefs AT and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Once he uses the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping.
Speaker 2: The playmaker includes four.
Speaker 11: Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys. The Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping, the.
Speaker 9: Seed Gig has your back no matter what kind of fan you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a don't really care fan, Oh we got them next time fan, or we'll never win again fan. Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The Seed Gig not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So, whether you're right here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan, Seat geek as you covered, download the seat geek app to the seat Geek, you're taking a great seats.
Speaker 3: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 2: Of course? What's up? Well?
Speaker 3: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 2: Have you felt this way a long time?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 7: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, Babe.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. I mean, you're amazing.
Speaker 7: Too, Nude Doctor Pepper strawberries and Cream. The new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the third segment of the break. I wanted to Before we get into all the texts that are coming in, I wanted to ask you, guys, how.
Speaker 6: About the kicker? And for this last game again.
Speaker 5: We thought several weeks ago that they might bring another kicker for competition after they cut Remember this, guys, mis Kane misk Yes, well with him.
Speaker 6: Now, are you guys?
Speaker 5: Is there something that you guys want to see more of in this last game?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Field goals, I mean quit going for it on fourth and eight. Yeah, to try to do what to tie the game with?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 7: The only starter that's on the field is the kicker. He's the only one. I mean, yeah, you want to evaluate it, and I get it. Mike McCarthy's calling plays that he wants to do that, and they get all competitive and all that. But the only guy that is that is you expect to be a starter in the fourth quarter of these games, is your kicker. So why not try a forty two yard field goal or at some point, I mean, we're all worried about let's see what this guy does. Let's see what the kicker does, because that's the guy that's going to be out there for the Giants right now that I mean, that's the only one that you were expecting to be out there veteran.
Speaker 8: I've heard any positive things about is Mason Crosby.
Speaker 2: That's it. Other than that, it's been so you might.
Speaker 8: As well ride with this guy and see what you got. But Nick's right, you should have been kicking field goals the other day, just trying to figure it out, like let him you know, I mean, he had a miss. He had a miss of an extra point badly. Yeah, so you're kind of like going, huh okay, so give him some other confidence and let everybody, you know, let the team feel good about him, right, let the team fight. The team can feel good about him at practice. It's different when they're trying to block Seattle's for team rush, you know, and guys are trying to make the team and all that.
Speaker 7: So shoot down this idea that I've been thinking of. What about sign a veteran. Yeah, probably Gold Crosby. Whatever. If he doesn't if he can't kick off, right, fine.
Speaker 2: That's gold. Gold does not want to kick off.
Speaker 7: Okay, give me a guy on the practice squad. Aubrey could start it out.
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 7: There'll be other guys that you could sign on your practice squad. Elevate them on game day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had this because and you get three elevations.
Speaker 7: Right, and then then you got to find another kick Then you got to.
Speaker 2: Find another kickoff guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's seat there.
Speaker 2: See this is where it gets a little dicey. It gets well, yeah, it gets a little dicey.
Speaker 8: Because you start to play cold weather games and you start to play outdoors, and now do you want to kickoff guy that can't get it out of the end zone? You know you that, but you're not wrong. I mean I had somebody tweet at me and said the same thing. You know it just okay, Well, then you know, bring in Robbie Golden, let him not field goals home all day from thirty eight, forty two and forty three yards and then get a practice squad kicker and just do it for three.
Speaker 2: Games at a time.
Speaker 8: But you do, you get to a point in time where you're you're kind of like, okay, do we do we get the right guy here at the end? I mean, you're gonna be playing in a playoff game with maybe with a guy that can't kick off as well, and that's going to affect the way you play. That would be the only way that the only thing that would kind of deter me from thinking about doing that.
Speaker 2: That's it's not a bad idea.
Speaker 7: I'm not as worried of the kickoffs though. I'm really not, because for every big kickoff return that you give up, I mean, if you kick it off through the ins and they start at the twenty five, what are the chances there's a better chance you're going to start inside the twenty five the way they call holding, blocking the backs and stuff like that, you have a chance to have a little bit more advantage than you would giving up a fifty.
Speaker 8: Well, if even if you get it near the goal line, don't they have the option out they can fair catch the thing and get the ball to twenty five.
Speaker 7: I'd pop it up. Yeah, let him fair catch. It's gonna be the same anyway, exactly. And Crosby and Gold, what they both have in common is they both have sent you home in the playoffs with their field Gold kick.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, last few years. Yeah, that's the whole thing. I mean.
Speaker 8: The more that I dug in on Robbie Gold, it was it was he really is kind of a specialist. Now he doesn't want to kick field goals over fifty yards he doesn't want to, you know, he doesn't want to kick off.
Speaker 2: He doesn't.
Speaker 8: You know, there's and that puts you on. That puts you on some fringe offense right there.
Speaker 6: I mean, you don't have that many.
Speaker 8: Watch, but watch. Somebody will sign that guy. Somebody will sign that guy just because he is in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: He's money.
Speaker 7: He was to the team Cowboys, could not kick anything and he couldn't miss. Yeah, I mean yeah, I would take that.
Speaker 5: All right, nick Uh, start warming up for your show.
Speaker 7: Give us some I'm not giving you the best ones. And I'm just kidding now the one that just came in here, John from New York City. Do you think that Dak's interception problem last year was similar to when uh Zeke Wow?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 7: Zeke had a one year fumble problem? Both trying to do too much, Zeke not having Dak this year, Dak having no receivers.
Speaker 8: I think the thing the only thing I would worry about Dak's interceptions are the interceptions where he doesn't see the defender. That's the ones, because the other ones tend to be ones that are either tipped or or maybe maybe the receiver's fault, you know, maybe maybe they don't run the right route, maybe they don't finish the route, maybe they don't go defend the ball. So you know, those are the ones. I could live with those because I know that it's not all on Dak. You know that maybe it's but he gets it gets charged for him. It's the ones where he doesn't see Leyton Vanders should practice on the goal line and throws the ball right to him, or he throws the ball right to that. I can't remember the Commander's linebacker that he did, you know, several years ago and they were trying to protect a lead.
Speaker 2: He threw it right to the.
Speaker 8: Went to North Carolina Colbert Colbert or something like that. He's does I mean when he throws the ball at had San Francisco, when he throws the ball and he doesn't see the defender, those are those are the interceptions you should really worry.
Speaker 5: About, all right, and at practice. I mean, it has happened at practice. We've seen it, and people want to take those videos on the media uploads and just start killing. So here we go again, Dak interceptions. Another year, change quarterbacks, blah blah blah. But I feel like based on what we've seen so far. I do feel that his game has cleaned up a little bit, just because, like we were talking about earlier, everyone seems to be more on the same page. Everyone seems to be a little bit more in sync and know exactly what's going on. And you're right, sometimes he won't notice the defender and someone just pops off out of nowhere and it catches the ball and it happens. But all in all, I don't think that pulls me away from the confidence that I have in Dak and wanting him to maybe throw less, No, keep throwing the way. I mean, obviously keep improving, but keep throwing it. And I think some of those long passes down the field, his passes have looked really really good at times.
Speaker 7: All Right, I might want to knock on wood here, But if Pollard were to miss a game, how do you think the carries should be split? This is from Nick and Long Island.
Speaker 2: Got a New York contingency listening yesterday.
Speaker 8: I think I think what will happen is they will figure out I think they're going to carry all four backs myself, and I know.
Speaker 7: I say all for Malik.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I think Malik will be part of the I think now, I don't know. I mean I say that I think he's gonna be part And then I've talked to people like a Todd Archer and guys like that, we kind of walk through the roster. He thinks that maybe they'll try and get Malik Davis due to the practice squad. I don't know where you guys think about. Yeah, but that situation.
Speaker 7: But to disappointing this year for Malik, I thought he would take a more of a leap.
Speaker 13: Well, there's there's some questions whoever the third whoever that third running back is, is going to have to be the special teams guy, because I don't think duce Faun is going to play a lot of special teams for you.
Speaker 2: I just don't so to me whoever that guy is.
Speaker 8: And and you know, maybe maybe this is what Nick was talking about earlier, a bar where you're gonna have to go short somewhere.
Speaker 2: And we'll see with Malik days. But Rico dow.
Speaker 8: Jones, I'm done to me. Ronald Jones and a Dooga were guys that were bridge players to kind of in case something was not working out.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: They don't play a doga at guard. They played a bit tackled and he's looked terrible at.
Speaker 7: I'd put him at guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought he's a guard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all along got a guard body.
Speaker 2: Maybe there, maybe they're maybe that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing about Ronald Jones. You don't have to do anything with him. There's there's twenty seven lists that you can put a player on here and cut down day next week, and one of them is a suspension list. So that's where he goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he goes there and then for what two weeks? Weeks?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you don't really have to do anything. Now when you come back, then you have to make it. Who knows what it looks like?
Speaker 2: What if?
Speaker 7: What if there is an injury that running back and you're like, okay, here's a guy that knows the system. He's been with us.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I would play him here in the preseason. Honestly, I'd play him this week.
Speaker 6: Andrew Wise, he supposed to be ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he practiced for you this week. Right, I think it.
Speaker 7: Gets hurt for two weeks. I mean he's going to be suspended anyways.
Speaker 6: Right, How did he do?
Speaker 12: How was it?
Speaker 6: I didn't really notice him. I think there was that much.
Speaker 8: I was an OX Star one of my last two days and he was actually showed up where I was like, I was like, oh okay, Ron I, Oh okay, looks that's what he looks physically, you know. He was running the ball on the outside and I was like, Okay, that doesn't look bad.
Speaker 2: But I think that he's lost too much time.
Speaker 8: I think I think that Douce Faun and Rico and the thing about is with you know, Malik Davis. We talked about this, you know, last week when Malik Davis was in the game on third down, they took him out and they put Rico dabdele in as a past protector, you know, and then that's that kind of maybe you know that worries you a little bit right there, Yeah, that they don't think he's the complete back.
Speaker 5: It'll be interesting. I'm ready to see I'm so freaking ready. I am so ready for a week one. There's so much I want. I just want to know if what I'm seeing is real or just practice. That's training camp, you know, that's what happens at training camp. But I'm just so excited about so many of these guys, and I'm ready to see it.
Speaker 6: All come to you.
Speaker 7: I'm just ready for Micah Parksons to be able to go all the way through the play yea, and not stop at the quarterback when he's back there going okay, this was fun, like just wreck havoc like you like we're expecting him to.
Speaker 6: Well, it will happen. We have what two weeks, two weeks till the start of the season.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow the game is at seven pm against the Raiders, and that's all the time we have for today. Thank you so much for Nicki Man Brian Bradus a member GARCIA. This has been the Break on Dallascowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club
Speaker 6: Ass