Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on. These are our stories done.
Speaker 2: Done, Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 3: An SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: My name is Lisa and my name is Kara, and every week we dive into an episode of Law and Order SVU the true crime it's based on. And you know, sometimes we chat with a guest, but sometimes we don't, but first we chit chat together. What's up?
Speaker 3: The specials out on Netflix night Owl.
Speaker 2: If you haven't watched it, please watch it for meeting there and watch.
Speaker 1: It night Owl. One hour of Lisa Trigger doing stand up. It's so crazy, vulnerable, one full hour.
Speaker 2: I also want credit that I did not start this episode saying who do who?
Speaker 3: I have put that to bed.
Speaker 1: I feel happy we have exercised the Carla from you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, have you been seeing one of them days press Like Kiki Palmer, I always loved her and like obviously a SVU alum, but like, she is just so funny and I don't think there's ever been a more charismatic human in the world. That's quick, funny, smart on it not a like we'll call people like I'm just obsessed. No one's existed like her. I love her. I saw it. I saw a movie.
Speaker 3: How was it? I liked it. It's really good. I mean it's fun. They have great chemistry, Kiki.
Speaker 1: I truly, like you're saying, I would sit and watch her just like shop for shoes online, Like I would watch her do anything. Like she's so funny and charismatic, like you know, but I wanted there to be like more jokes kind of in this. But besides that, I like there's so many funny extra characters. Dwayne Perkins is in it as a really funny character. Janelle James, Kat Williams. There's like it's great. I mean, if you like Insecure, it reminds me of like almost like an extended Insecure episode, Like it's really it really has like Insecure vibes.
Speaker 3: And I really I had a good time. I had a really good time.
Speaker 1: But yes, I've been noticing Kiky like fucking smashing it in all these interviews, and she's so funny.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, probably has a.
Speaker 1: Fun movie to see in the theater too, Like, well, I saw it with my friend and we saw in the middle of the day.
Speaker 2: We were alone, so we just kind of, oh, oh my god, what a dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like the It was you know, like one thirty in the afternoon and it was the Discount Theater in Pasadena.
Speaker 3: So you know, my child, I guess, why is it? But it's a new movie? What it is?
Speaker 1: This theater plays all new, They play all news. I took my kids there to see Wicked because I was like, if they walk out after hour and a half, at least I've only paid five dollars a ticket, Like it's great.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They the tickets are five to fifty. I think if you go before sex, oh I have something to say to you. Uh oh no, and another thing.
Speaker 2: No, you're gonna be into this because it's something you've loved in the past. I started True Blood, Okay, no one told me it was soft core porn with just like fun restaurant human like chats, Like I'm obsessed, Like I can't believe the fucking is insane. I mean, within ten minutes there's a woman on a hook being fucked by a vampire and I'm like, this wasn't a selling point for anyone for me, like I'm in, I'm in forgot.
Speaker 1: I guess I forgot because that was like, you know, I don't know if HBO is still doing that, but that was definitely like the heyday of HBO being like, oh and also there's gonna be crazy fucking like no matter what it's about.
Speaker 3: You're right, I should have just known.
Speaker 2: But I think I thought it was gonna be a different type of vampire vibe and it wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it also like it changes a lot, like to the end of the series, Like I'm so interested in your thoughts, like because I like it's great.
Speaker 2: I would say it's not like a great show, but I'm I like it. That guy, I didn't realize he had a long career the Stars Guard The Stars Guards a vampire. Oh yeah, Like I didn't really, I didn't know about him.
Speaker 1: Really, so that was where I'm I feel like I met him in True Blood. That's how I know him.
Speaker 3: But I'm a big Anna Paquin fan.
Speaker 2: And one of the guys is actually in the episode Smoked, the guy who's dating Carrie Preston is the guy who is in the like Shelter and like shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I couldn't believe that. I bet people you're going to see so many SVU people. I mean, like it's true Blood. It's like it's like practically OZ crossover level.
Speaker 2: But my two issues though, are like the brother of Anna Paquin and the restaurant owner look exactly alike. They're like, both just these guys with blonde I'm like in highlight, I'm like, you should have gotten just a brunette and a blonde.
Speaker 1: I can't Sam keep it straight. And the brother look alike. Interesting, Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like too similar.
Speaker 2: I can't. Like now I've got it, but in the beginning, I was like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: Jason, Sam and Jason Yeah, yeah, yeah, But I do love.
Speaker 2: This idea where it's like you're discriminating against the vampires. But I'm like, they do seem like they suck, like as people be like they are not cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nuanced, it's nuanced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very But Carrie Preston, like I haven't, like she's just so young.
Speaker 3: It's crazy too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's like it must not be where I met met her. But that's like the first thing I watched that she was a regular on too.
Speaker 2: I feel I met her in terms of like there was always actresses that are good but not famous, that are nominated for Oscars, and she's one of them. Yeah, Like there's just a few of these women where you're like, ah, one of the best, but like we'll never see her in right like on us, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: She was one of those yeah where it's like, what's this movie?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: But oh I did just supply, But I did Films to be Buried with Brett Goldstein's podcast, which I was very excited to do. And there's like thirteen questions and it's like pretty intense and obviously I prepped for ever like I was, and I was giving. I was like reading it out loud, but multiple times he went ooh that was a good one.
Speaker 3: He goes, oh that that's good.
Speaker 2: He goes that's a good answer, And I'm like, this is like and everything I hoped for for all this time. I was like making lists, like organizing for a week and a half two weeks.
Speaker 3: Did you talk about movie game in Cinea Matrix on the podcast?
Speaker 2: No? I kept it together because they have to start paying me. I can't keep talking about movie grid the way I do. I mention it after we got off because he saw every single movie I said, and I didn't have just one answer for everything. So like he saw every and I go, I'm assuming you've seen every movie for every guest you've had.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, how are you seeing all these movies?
Speaker 2: I'm like, I want to see a head to head with him and Doug Benson like, do you movies?
Speaker 3: Because he just saw every single thing and knew about it, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, he goes, well, I don't watch TV, but I watched movies non stop, but he knew everything. It was pretty So at the end, I go, do you play movie Grid and Cinematrix? He goes yeah, And I told the story because when I first started playing, I messaged Doug Benson about it and I go, it's kind of hard.
Speaker 3: He goes, it's easy for me.
Speaker 2: So he really bobbed the drag queen to me, and so yeah, like really, I just so, yeah, so knowledgeable.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool, that's really cool. Wait what okay? And he's just like hot with an accent and charming, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's like we love. I'd be on a zoom with him. We love Brett Goldstein.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe I'll watch his show, but I doubt it. I'm never going to get into the Apple TV universe if y'all.
Speaker 1: Well, we keep saying that's the only way we don't pay for and Jared keeps.
Speaker 3: Being like, we gotta start paying for we go. We don't even have to.
Speaker 2: I have so many things I buy that it's like you got three months free all yeah, like everywhere, Like I have every Apple product, Like, so I don't I don't really know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody says several slow horses or I want to watch the second season a Bad Sisters, like they're all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so much, but I don't know. I was just really proud of myself and it was really good question. You know, it's like my dream, so like that's what great stuff.
Speaker 1: Did you see the Oscar nomination Speaking before of Carrie Preston getting knowledged for an Oscar, No.
Speaker 2: I've heard, like I just want Demi Moore it to win. I don't care. I don't like. Well, once I saw all the hubbub that like the Challenger's soundtrack was snobbed, I started listening to it and it is just like amazing, Like what the fuck.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Amelia Perez of it all is weird. It doesn't seem like anyone likes it. So it's just confusing.
Speaker 1: I guess what is going on because I have not really heard from that many people about it. But like Coffee was vocal saying it was like one of the worst movies she's ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well so I watched this thing on Instagram. But it was like, you know when you watch it and you're like, who are you and what makes you think that you're a professional at any of this? But he was just saying, like the Academy used to be mostly actors and now they opened it up and so like, and it's international, and it's like it's not as craft based or like that's I don't know, I have no idea, Okay, it just seems like everyone's like, oh, it's like a modern musical, and I'm like, oh, that's like musicals. But for it to even win a glow like we're not even talking to Oscar like over Wicked, a Broadway show that's been on for twenty years, Like are you out of your fucking mind? In what world would any song beat defying gravity or whatever? Song they pick like, there's just like that's crazy. It's crazy. Yeah, yeah, I will know. It's like I don't even care anymore. It was just cool that like Bowen got to read them with Rachel Sennet Young Hollywood. You know, it's like it's exciting. I'll look at the dresses, but I just don't care, right, except for Jimmy Moore.
Speaker 3: I want her to win. I hope she wins, that's all I really hope.
Speaker 1: It's wild for like a horror movie like that to be nominated for Actress for Best Picture.
Speaker 3: It's cool.
Speaker 1: It's like a new feels like horror is getting a little bit of a more big foot in the door.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's so interesting, you know. Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: They never like, I mean, Casey can probably speak to this better, but horror stuff never gets recognized right in Oscars.
Speaker 5: Parasite, Yeah, historically, I feel like historically it's been sort of snubbed from the Oscars. But latly the last couple of years, I feel like like the shape of water is sort of horror esque parasite.
Speaker 1: Uh sure, but the substance is supposedly like one of the glorious, like those are like more Yeah, but it's not scary.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. Like the substance is not scary at all. It's just gross. There's got it. It's not scary. Okay, well I'm too scared.
Speaker 1: Wait, this is a great opportunity for Casey to tell us about a new podcast he's hosting.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, yes, yes, that's right. I'm hosting a new podcast. It's called Deer Movies. I Love You. It's on the exactly right network that I'm hosting it with. We know that network. I'm hosting it with million Erico, formerly of I Saw What You Did. And Yeah, it's just a very like approachable, fun movie podcast that is all about sort of like the emotional connection we have with movies, and we'll get into like the nitty gritty of like you know, super art house bullshit, but we make it approachable for everybody and it's like super fun and silly.
Speaker 3: So give it a little lot of it.
Speaker 1: You're one of my You're one of my movie touchstone people that I know has seen everything and I have to ask you about So I think this is perfect.
Speaker 2: No, that's fine. I I want you to listen to my episode. I want to see if you're impressed with my option.
Speaker 4: I definitely will I'll give you all yeah, I'll listen and no, no, I can just.
Speaker 2: Give you my sheep. Yeah, I want a report card. I want yeah, I want to know. I want to impress everyone with my choices. Now, I it was really hard. I should just give you the questionnaire though, too, because I was giving it to everyone. I was blacked out at the bars. I was like corner everyone at the cellar, like I was just so curious about it, Everyone's choices.
Speaker 4: I should have you guys on his guests.
Speaker 3: We should yours simply show guests.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's not like we don't like need we don't have them every episode, but like the first episode we have Chile was sharp.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, that's my friend. How do you know about Schile? What the fuck?
Speaker 5: She's really good friends with Millie. And so we bring people on in the guest segment to talk about their film area of expertise, and Chile would came on to talk about Magic Mike and which is got of expertise of mine as well? So but yeah, so yeah, you guys can come on and talk about your area of expertise.
Speaker 2: What is I would say Edward Norton Movies in the nineties.
Speaker 3: That's Percy's Dear Movies. I love you.
Speaker 1: Everybody, go give it a little follow if you don't follow it already.
Speaker 3: It's so fucking exciting.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the ones, one of the questions on his is like the film that's supposed to be bad but you love and so I had a list of a bunch and I actually went to Rotten Tomatoes and I got both scores and averaged them to get what is actually the worst. And that was really fun too. He's like, Wow, I'm really into your preparation. I'm like, oh yeah, oh yeah, babe.
Speaker 3: And it was The Stepford Wives.
Speaker 2: It's actually twenty six and thirty for Wow, because that's that you love that most people hate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think what mine would be.
Speaker 2: Well, I had a few so huge, okay, so Deep Blue Sea, but actually critics gave it sixty and then it was thirty nine. Human Centipede was forty two and twenty six. Step for Wives, like I said, twenty six thirty. Love Stinks was nineteen and sixty three. Wait, I Love Love Stinks with mel Brooks No with French Stewart and Bridget like Samson.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a different movie I'm thinking of.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, I was thinking about it with mel Brooks and Leslie and Warren where he he's a billionaire that has to be unhoused for a month in order to win.
Speaker 3: His money back. Oh I love that. No, that that can't be the worst I met.
Speaker 2: The Sweetest Thing is twenty five and sixty five, and then the Duplex was thirty five and forty, so I went with the twenty six and thirty Stepford Wives.
Speaker 3: Casey, what what?
Speaker 4: I love Duplex? I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, Hell yeah, Kara, have you seen Duplex? No, what's Duplex? It's actually Drew Barrymore and Ben's Stiller and Harvey fire Steam.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Okay, I don't know it. I look it up. Yeah, it's fine. I mean, I'm glad Casey likes it like it's.
Speaker 4: Directed by Danny DeVito it and I.
Speaker 5: Think you wonder I love it and it and he also directed Matilda and it feels kind of like an adult Matilda.
Speaker 3: I mean, did he direct War of the Roses or no?
Speaker 2: Oh? Is he just in it? Let's see? Now this is a movie podcast. By the way, the movie I was thinking of it. Yeah, directed by Danny DeVito. Fuck yeah, I love him damn because that that's like a trigger family classic War of the Roses war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we used to have it.
Speaker 1: We taped it off TV on VHS. We had to get scribbled on the side. War of the Roses.
Speaker 3: The movie I was thinking of, by the way, is life Stinks.
Speaker 1: And I'm having dejavus because I feel like we've had this exact conversation before where You've brought up love stinks and I've been like, oh, the mel Brooks, it's life stinks.
Speaker 2: I mean they the funnest questions is like what film thought you thought was the sexiest? But then the side character or is like what should you have not found arousing?
Speaker 3: But you do? And I would say it's the most vulnerable I've been on a podcast.
Speaker 2: Wow, No, I probably say crazy shit on this for sure, for sure, But oh my god, wait, I do have something to say. So my friend Sophia, Oh you know Sophia. We went to backslize with her. So she's at Live Nation and she's actually like she was like she brought podcast touring to Live Nation. It was like all her first accounts, Like she and so I got to go to Madison Square Garden this week because one of the podcasts she started, and she also did Gigglely Squad at Radio City, so it's like a pretty big week for her in New York. But I saw that a Dungeons and Dragons podcast at Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 1: Jared's was Clint produced the whole thing that Clint was there. Clint was there, He's been there for a week. He produced that whole show.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I you know, they had fire, there was pyro, there was a lot of screens, and I mean because we played Call of Cuthulhu during the pandemic, I kind of like understood what was going on. Yeah, but it's truly because I was thinking about people that are dragalongs coming to our live show, Like is it as confusing? And I don't think so because we're recapping a thing. But I would like they would just show a character on the monitors and people would just start losing their shit. Yeah, but it was exciting. It was a behaved crowd. I mean, security did not really have to work too hard. But it's crazy. Yeah, it's called Dimension twenty. Okay, my friend Schamann is in the cast. Wait, which one is Chavon Is she blonde and burnette, blonde with like a britishercent. She was my favorite. Well she played a character. I didn't hear a British accent. Oh, but she was dressed so cute. I mean the girls were obviously my favorite.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was Emily Axford in it too? She is she married to one of the other ones. Yes, Emily and Murph.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My apartment, my first apartment in la Emily and Murph lived two doors down for me in that the worst.
Speaker 2: You would know all these dungeon Canadian doors, Like in what world wouldn't you have a lot of.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of UCB people too, Like yeah, they that's like, well it is because one of the guys I write, I was like, he was in someone's photo with Dan Black, who you're friends with, and they were at the SNEL party.
Speaker 2: So I was like, oh my god, because it was like the main guy is charming. And then someone was saying that they did improv classes with him, so I was like, oh, that makes more sense.
Speaker 3: It's not just like a I don't want to be like, it's not just a weirdo.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, he was my improv teacher get the Brennan.
Speaker 4: And he was my improv teacher at UCB.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god, Like that's so cool. Yeah, I had a really really good time. The girls were my favor and then since it's Madison Square Garden, like a few of them lived out their fantasies and did like some wrestling moves and like, and that was fun. And then also some of the fire was a surprise and so even the players didn't know. Oh but oh, this is what I learned. Since I knew the person on production. I can't believe Clint was there. I wish I knew. I should have messaged you on my way there. I had no idea you were going. I would have been like, Clint, go say hi to Lisa. Oh my god, I would have loved it. No, So, like I knew one persons their tour manager, and then one person like is the Live Nation promoter type. But she was saying how they brought their own fucking WiFi.
Speaker 1: Oh, Clint got there a week earlier to get everything in place. He's like, there's so many pieces to this, Like we got a like he was there. I was at his house the night before he was leaving he was packing. I was like, wait, the show's on Friday, you're leaving on Sunday. He's like, it's so much like.
Speaker 2: It's but also what I would want to what I would be interested in watching, is like So then I went on the Instagram to kind of stalk everyone and see what's going on, and the main guy does a drag version where it's Bob, Monet, Jujub, and Alaska and they're all playing D and D and it's kind of what we did with Cthulhu and it is so fun and it's like the clip I saw as Jujubi being like, don't you have that bridge over the water? Does it work for acid? And like they're all so I'm like, I want to watch that. I mean, I would watch like Bob do everything. But oh, that is so funny. That's amazing. I didn't know that they did that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, have you been watching Traders? No, I'm gonna get into it.
Speaker 1: Maybe this afternoon since I'm not feeling so hot, I'll just get into a Trader's thing.
Speaker 3: But I need to watch.
Speaker 1: I'm not want to be behind another I'm not gonna be behind on another season of Traders.
Speaker 3: I'm watching I'm not gonna. I can't. It's it's hit a fever pitch for me. I need to. It's also just such fun view.
Speaker 2: But it was also fun watching the podcast thing of not knowing anything because like people were wearing costumes and maybe think of the people that come see us. And February twenty third, we're in DC, baby at the Empires.
Speaker 1: Come see us, guys. You have a couple more weeks and we love DC. We'll be doing a new episode that you have not seen us do. We've got new games, so come on down. But yeah, we should we get started.
Speaker 3: It's nice.
Speaker 2: We didn't even talk about the impending administrations.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't even talk about doom. Look at us. We're doing great.
Speaker 2: Hello, I mean we've already said hello, we're doing Manic season five, episode two. I'm excited. I'm excited. And it's really timely. I would say, yeah theme thematically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I would say it's timeless. It's been timely for like twenty years. But yeah, yeah, nothing has changed.
Speaker 2: And now that I'm like back into like rewatching old Simpsons, it's like, oh my god, it's like the same comment on stuff old US view. It's like the same fucking conversation. And I can't believe we let it just get worse. And oh my god, oh my god, damn boh, I get buckle up. We got some flashlights. Stabler sees blood on a concrete wall. A uniform cop runs forward. More blood on the wall where basement vibes. It's not a home, it's a huge space. Buckets more blood. Boiler room handle is locked. We hear, don't hurt me, don't hurt me. Finn and Benson arrive. It's nine fifty am. A passerby saw a broken window and thought maybe it was a break in, but.
Speaker 3: Then they hurt. Shots fired.
Speaker 2: Two dead kids in the gym, naked except for shoes and socks.
Speaker 3: This is wild. There's a hostage.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Sailor's like, give us the kid. We won't hurt you. Just let the kid go. Silence. No one says anything. A gunshot. Sailor's not playing games anymore. He kicks down the door. We see the kid. The shooter's gone. They see a window open, finished checking out the window.
Speaker 3: We what do we have? We have a culkin. It's Rory.
Speaker 2: Rory has he done other stuff like he's the worst of the Culkins.
Speaker 1: No, but he's I looked him up, like he's done other stuff. What was like Rory Culkin's big thing.
Speaker 3: He was in Signs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he has done for I mean he's he's steadily working. Like he's got like four credits from twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Oh, he was in a Black Mirror.
Speaker 1: Recently, he was in a bunch of episodes of Under the Banner of Heaven, which was like a pretty people liked it. It was you know, it's about Mormonism and stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He was in Castle Rock, which people watched on Hulu. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, so he's doing stuff, but definitely a more low key Culkin.
Speaker 2: But I feel like Kieran was low key until recent Yeah, they've all kind of gone, you know, But I mean mccaullay, what a weird name. Oh he yeah, mccaullay is a weird name. I've never met another McCauley in my life. Yeah, maybe I will. Oh my god, I forgot Karen Culkin was and she's all that.
Speaker 3: Damn that's fun.
Speaker 2: Oh when he was the little boy and father of the bride, Oh my god, kue.
Speaker 3: Okay, back to reality.
Speaker 2: Rory. He's been hitting the head. There's blood. Sailor carries him out. He's passed out. We got to help this teenage boy. So we're getting a bus and the bus gets us right into the credits beat beep stop requested.
Speaker 3: And now we're in the gym with Cragan. It's all hands on deck.
Speaker 2: A witness saw a tall man, white man running away, but that's all we have. And then the bullet only winged the kids, so that's good and he's gonna wake up.
Speaker 3: So then we see.
Speaker 2: Vury graphic murdered children. They don't really show dead kids like this, even on this show. These dead children are sitting up against the wall. They're not fully covered in a sheet. You see like the blood spatter and the holes in their bodies of blood, and they're naked.
Speaker 1: It is kind of crazy. Yeah, it is really crazy. It's season five. I guess it's so weird because it's like in some older there's like a period of time where there's not as much graphic shit on this show, but then now in recent ones, it's like we did watch somebody just like burned alive, So like, I don't know, some of the dead body shots in the earlier seasons are very graphic, like the women in Baggage that we just did. Oh yeah, you know, but yeah, especially kids. I don't think on kids. It's usually just like I mean, when they just did Natural Born, when they did Psychopath, he kills his brother, and it's like you just see a sneaker on a kid, like you even see the body at all, you know, Like, but these are like damn, and.
Speaker 2: The teacher heard the gun shots went in because it's actually Saturday, So what the fuck? Like, why are people at the school on a Saturday. Yeah, Joey Blaine is the boy. He's in the hospital, and then Luke Rhodes and Tyrell Dent are the dead kids, and they are star basketball players. And then munch goes whoa takeing Hazen to the next level. Have some decorum, have some decorum. These dead children aren't even covered by the sheet. And then they think maybe the kids are there to shoot hoops. That's why the they're on a Saturday. The security from the school comes running in. The gun is missing. I have a gun in the lock box because I confiscated it from a student Friday, and authorities are going to pick it up on Monday. That's weird. Is't not a weird policy? What are the cops that busy pick up the gun from the school?
Speaker 1: Maybe because the school would be closed, but yeah, you're right, that is crazy. If you guys hear commotion, it's there's something going on in the busy streets. It sounds like landscaping. But it can't be because I live in a concrete jungle, so.
Speaker 2: Where dreams are made of. Oh maybe the student's name is Derek Fowler. What student?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, like I already said the other boys' names.
Speaker 2: So Derek brought the gun at the same grade as the boys. So bam bam, we're gonna break it into this apartment. The dude is chilling reading the paper and he is being calm as hell. Randy Fowler is the man, and they're like, well, what about Derek, And he goes he's in his room.
Speaker 3: Would you give up your kid that fast? Okay?
Speaker 2: So then Derek is playing with his cassette player and Finn goes tell.
Speaker 3: Us about the gun, and he goes, what gun?
Speaker 2: And then the dad screams like, you bitch, you stole my gun, you little prick bitch. I added, but prick it was said, and he's being arrested. The dad's like, don't talk, son, you don't have to say anything. So I love that he's still on his rights. And so you know, we're going to go downtown. He's in cement room and bars, Finn and Craigan are gossiping about him. He lives with his mom usually, but he kept bringing knives to school. He kept getting suspended. Now he's with the dad, graduated to a gun. Uh oh, dad's in the other room. He go and basically we get confirmation that he was drinking all day, so he wasn't involved, but he was just drunk at the bar.
Speaker 3: Benson comes in.
Speaker 2: No rape on the dead boys, even though they were naked, so that's a twist too, but I'm glad they weren't assaulted. But the dad is drunk, the boy had the gun, and then Elliott called Joe Blaine is awake, so a lot of action. We gotta go see if he could pick out the killer and see if it is this expelled gun nut child. So then we meet the mom, Mayor Winningham. She has hundreds of credits. I only know her from this episode, but she's in flannel.
Speaker 1: Do you have any oh yeah, I mean just I just know her as like a person who's been in stuff my entire life. But I don't think anything that's ever been super important to me, me specifically, I'm trying to think. I mean, yeah, like Saint almost Fire Turner and Hooch, like she's in all these like old movies. But yeah, nothing that's big in my life. But you know, a working, well known actress. So they're asking who broke the window. He said, the man made me do it. He has a gun and the boy is sketching drawings in a yellow legal pad, so you know, he's lost his mind. His eyes are closed, he's chanting. He has a gun.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, oh boy, shooting bang bang.
Speaker 2: He's struggling, and he has a just a square bandage on his head and there's blood going through the bandage. They want info on the man who dragged him and like did all this, and but they just they just need his face. But he looks away, he looks at his mom, and then he draws the janitor's face, and the janitor has a temper. The security guy says, and he did throw a mop at kids, but the kids did fuck with his bucket. So but there's two dead and it's the two dead boys. So the two dead boys fucked with his bucket and then he threw a mop at them. So obviously this janitor is the one who double homicided these children and strip them naked.
Speaker 3: But he's the only one with keys.
Speaker 2: But there are secret backup keys, the security guy says, and obviously the janitor is the only guy who knows about the secret backup keys. So janitor's immediately in cement room bars. This is the most obvious red herring of this show's history. The janitor is nervous and shaky. It wasn't him. It's minute seven of the show. It's not him. Yeah, But they show him the sketch and he goes, I wouldn't hurt Joey, and I just want them to stop being so mean to him. So they're back at like the scene, so they have to like try to get more evidence to see what's going on, and it's a puzzle. Judas Ciper's on the scene. She's an aunt of a listener and a former guest of the pod. She's chatting and she says, like, if you shoot down here, there's so much ricochet. It's ricochet heaven ping ping ping bing like it. It would be pandemonium down here. But this pipe has evidence that the shot was shot straight up into it. There was no bouncing around, so that there was obviously a struggle or you know, someone shot up. And there's hundreds of prints in there, but the bloody prints are with the kids. There's prints everywhere. But Joe had his bloody prints on the inside door lock. So the kid with his bloody hand locked the door. So what if the kid and the shooter are actually the same person. So yeah, it's the Kulkan. So he put uh, he put it to his head and he shot it. And then because he shrunk because it's scary, and he moved, the bullet went straight up just grazed his head. And so now we have to try to find the gun. Benson finds the gun immediately, I wrote baby Benson, and I don't know why I did that. Flannel Mom opens the door and they bulldozed past her. She's like, tell me what what what? They won't, It's like, just tell her what's up. So they go into the bedroom. They were gonna get him the fuck out of there. Guns are up ready, but he's not in there. They can't find him. He ran out the window. He's gone. There's drawings everywhere, and one of the drawings is at a school gym, two dead kids and a shooter standing over them. Okay, so we plan the whole damn thing. The mom looks worried. She's in window room blinds with a view because there's woodroom blinds, but not of you like this. It was a beautiful set of windows. We don't see this very often. But she's like, it's just a drawing. It's kind of like the Hile Hitler. You know, it's like, what, it's not that big of a deal. Nah, you're being nuts. Oh god, do you think Ivanka dressed like a handman's tail character on purpose?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I heard she was wearing Oscar Delaurenta and that made me sad because I always like Oscar Delorenta stuff.
Speaker 2: Fuck. Come on, listen. At the end of the day, it's money, business, rich. They don't give a fuck. They don't give a fuck. Yeah, these people don't give a fuck. Fuck everything. I don't even want to leave its own bag anymore. I'm over it. Class warfare. Yeah, keep your America, you dumb bitches. I don't want it. I don't want it. I did watch an interview with Chloe Sevenier recently, and she was saying, she goes, yeah, we were also like punk rock back in the day, and I wish I wasn't, and she goes, I think I'd be a lot wealthier and more successful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like you are so successful.
Speaker 2: But she's like, yeah, back in the day, like you never wanted to be seen as a sellout, and and she goes, that's not really the thing anymore.
Speaker 3: Like everyone, Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Chloe Sevigne, we were never going to see you like on a Verizon commercial, you know what I mean, Like she was never going to be like, well I love Chick fil.
Speaker 3: A, Like yeah for sure. Yeah, I mean she does fashion stuff. She's just cool girl vibes, you know. But that's funny. That's funny that she's like, oh, my punk days.
Speaker 2: Because that's how I'm like, where are the punk rock people? It's like the people that are shown as punk rock are the establishment?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: People think like Rogan's a renegade and he's like so part of all of this, and where are the punk rock people? Yeah, Luigi, that's it, Just Luig it all goes back to Luigi I'm back in the episode I'm back, I'm back. I'm sorry. It's just like it's just a drawing. Man, there's two dead kids, and your son has a drawing of it. So I now get a lawyer and it's dated months before. She's like, he's gentle, nice, you know, typical boy. Mom, But he's just depressed. But he wouldn't do this. And Benson's like, if you know, but right now he can hurt someone or himself, you have to tell us where he is. She's like, I have no clue. I don't know. I didn't even realize he was gone till you guys busted in. He doesn't have any friends, no dad, it's just them too. The dad just left three years ago. Like what a bummer. People shouldn't be able to leave like that. Prison. Yeah, I believe in prison, you ditch your kid, you go to prison. Like, I don't understand why we let dad just kind of ditch their kids. I know, I know it's fucked up. There's a woman that, oh my god, did you.
Speaker 1: Say if we did, if we did do prison for abandon of your kids, guess who would be pro aborshi all these guys.
Speaker 2: The janitor does confess to something though, uh oh, he gave Joey the gun to scare the kids that picked on him, and he knows he made a mistake. He's like, I didn't know it was loaded. Why didn't you check? Why did you give a kid a gun? Like this is crazy? But anyways, we find out that this kid's on a train out of town. They're trying to track them down with schedules. They find him on camera on you know, we're confirmed. Finn calls him a psycho brat. You know, I love that, and he actually isn't leaving, and then they catch him going to the regular subway, so he's trying to trick them, and so it's is he a mastermind or an idiot? And Finn goes, I bet this is the mom's idea, Like buy a train ticket to go somewhere else and fucking come back home. Benson and Stabler are spying in a rain in a rain covered car, in a rain, in a rain drop. Suddenly we're the Magic school Bus. Benson and Stabler are spying in a car and she he's like, you would do whatever to save your kids to shut up and don't judge her, but she's dumb. She's taking a cab like, babe, obviously you're being followed. You should like you should have thought a little harder. But Munch is on foot. Finn's also in a rainy car. Benson and Stabler whatever, they're all, they're all involved.
Speaker 3: They're all gonna get him. But much I do love Munch.
Speaker 2: Munch is at the scene where the mom is getting out and he goes, I'm gonna wait for backup. He's like the only in the show's history he asks for backup, waits to go in and I bet he would say yes to protective custody and a detail.
Speaker 3: Like I just love that Munch was down to chill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But anyways, we see the mom in the sun. They're in a warehouse. There's a lot of boxes. She's trying to protect him. They take them both away and cuffs and they're in separate rooms. They're trying to make him realize that he's in huge trouble. He starts talking about Zoultar and listen obviously, like you know, you have to have a mental break down, Like he's an an unwell boy. This boy is sick. But I I like it goes on too long. It's like so annoying.
Speaker 1: Also, Zoltar is the movie in the movie is the machine in the movie Big that turns Tom Hanks from a little boy into a man.
Speaker 2: He's like, uh, he's the fortune teller. Well, it's at Coney Islands. I've I've visited Zultar, Oh very much. Oh okay. I like the There's a woman next to him, and I like her better. Of course her fortune are a little more on point Zults.
Speaker 1: We are obviously a pro female fortune teller podcast. Of course over Zultar any day. But it's interesting that they just picked this.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's a million, like made up names you can make about this man who's in your dreams making you kill people, you know, and he.
Speaker 3: Chose Zultar, Baby, Vultar.
Speaker 2: He says it's the shooter and the drawing, and he starts hitting himself. They're like, zult is gonna and he goes, Zulter is gonna kill you. He thrashing. There's so much thrashing. Stabler's holding him. His lawyer says, we're stopping this. This boy is sick. He can't stand trial. And then, you know, do we believe him, do we not. We got a Benson Huang, you know, spying in. So Huang and Benson believe the boy, and of course Stabler Kragan are questioning the boy. But he has a pass of depression and probably add his journals are dark, but he's talented. Something tipped the fantasy to reality. That's Huang's big thing. Benson's like, well, the janitor gave him a gun, and Huang's like, no, that's not enough, Like that's the means, but that's not the trigger to the psychotic episode. So what are what could be the possible triggers. Huang is like, well, maybe it's alcohol or drugs or lack of sleep or other stressors. And then Craigan jumps in like, okay, can we actually feel more bad for like the two kids that are killed.
Speaker 3: Let's focus on that.
Speaker 2: But they do need a confession, and Huang's like, listen, we need to give him food, rest, pencil and paper. Wang's in there and he hasn't slept since Wednesday. It's Saturday. He's thrashing, and I love the word thrashing, I really do. I think that's one of my favorite words. Thrashing. He's on the grates of the windows. I mean, Stabler's just watching the thrashing. There's walking. He didn't want to take the pills, but he had bad nightmares, and the pills, you know, give him loud noises. He wanted the noises to stop. Along's being very sweet and calming, and he's like, well, what are the voices saying? So is to do stuff? And Stabler goes Zoltar and that makes him thrash some more. And then he poses like truly Britney Spears trying to be sexy in a music video against the Greats, and I paused it to write down notes and like, Stabler looks disgusted at the post too. He's like, fuck, bro, like stop, you're being weird. And so now we get the bull you know, he gets bullied. He gets the pants. People are so mean to him. He's breathing deep. He's talking, I need the shooting running bang bang, okay, move on, like I'm it just goes on forever again.
Speaker 3: I'm writing thrashing.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm the problem breathing just tell us so. Anyways, so he put his gun to his head because he wanted to get rid of the voices. That's what happened, and then everything's a blur. He's like, everyone's so mean to me. He starts to cry and he wants to see his mom. So now Craigan and Cabot, and Cabot has fully full fluffy bangs and it's really hard to pay attention to anything. She goes, this is hard, Like he's thirteen, so it should be family court. But it's premeditated murder. That's adult. And so then the DA wants to charge him as an adult. An arrayment is Monday, so Barry Mordock, the Crusader style lawyer, is taking the case. But Cabot's like, well, what this isn't a constitutional issue? What are you doing here? He goes the fourteenth Amendment, the right to refuse medication and the right to privacy. Joey's school made him take aptril and if you used to, if you've been to our live shows before, we're going to be in DC, so there's you know, if you want to see one. But aptrol was the answer to one of our trivia questions. Classic a classic trill, Yes, yes, and so that's a you know, it's a wild pill. Barry is smiling and he goes, we're gonna have a fun time in Core and he's taking on this case for free, and she's like the you know, fuck off. The side effects of drugs do not cause people to murder. And he's like, well it's mania. Mania is a side effect. You can't blame a boy for having a manic episode from a side effect that the drug was forced upon him, you know, and kab but it's like, wow, you sure know a lot about aptral and he's like, well, yeah, you can thank the doctor who called me about this case. Guess who it was, Hwong, Baby, it was Wong Damn Trader starting in season four of Traders. Wait, bitch, are you watching Traders? I'm about to start. I'm truly going to start. I'm watching this season.
Speaker 1: I'm going to start, not start all okay, I know, like no, no, no, because I want to. I'm telling you, you want to, like millennial TikTok. Whatever the reason is is that it's just on Peacock and it's not on my cable. If it was on my cable, I would just have it saved on my DVR. I'll be watching it. I'm an old person. I just want it on my fucking cable. But I'm gonna watch it because I'm really interested and I want to watch what Bob does.
Speaker 3: And there's a new season of two too.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, oh my gosh, there's been a lot happen I now.
Speaker 2: So anyways, Cabot runs in. She's screaming into the precinct. Benson and Stabler watch and Huang turns around slowly, and Cabot's like, what the fuck were you thinking handing this case over to Barry Mordoc. So Huang is like, listen, Barry seemed concerned about the boy. I'm concerned about the boy. And she's like, yeah, but you handed him a defense. And she's like, you know, why don't you just publish an article? Why are you fucking with my case? And he's like, fuck you before you keep railing against me, why don't you see what your detectives feel about this, you know? And so then the detectives are like, well, let's go talk to the doctor who prescribed these pills. But doctor Engels, of course, the psychiatrist is like, well, I can't let you guys know, you know, doctor patient, you know, confidentiality. And then the guy is in shock though when he hears why they're like, hello.
Speaker 3: The shooting. He goes, oh my god, like you could tell.
Speaker 2: You really rattled by the news, and he breaks his ethical work codes immediately. He's like, I actually didn't prescribe the drug, but the boy came in for therapy. I think therapy could have worked for him. But after the second session, HMO said that they wouldn't approve him as a doctor and they wouldn't pay for them. They wouldn't pay for it, but they would pay for the medication. So HMO refused to pay for therapy but paid for the pills. He's like, yeah, therapy is thousands of dollars and lots of hours. Pills are cheap and quick, and he's like, and I did not get I don't even like giving kids meds, and we don't know what these powerful drugs can do to these children. And they're like, okay, but how did he get them? And it's important we have to find out how he got these pills. So the detectives are workshopping how he got them, so it's like, did he buy him from school? And then Stable brings up snorting adderall and a riddlin, and it's like, this boy is not snorting Riddlin and drug dealing like this, Like he's not a he does not have a friend. Who is he buying? Really, I'm snorting with you. Fucking I just hate when these like amazing detectives with the best crime rate in all of Manhattan are like fucking stupid sobs. Cabot's like, you know what, I know one person I can ask to see how he got these fucking pills. So she's with the boy Joey and Barry and they're like, well, let's you know, where'd you get these pills? And Murdoch of course goes it's a phishing expedition, and Cabbot goes, listen, you're saying the drugs made him do it. I want to know who gave him the pills, and he says I don't know, so like, no doctor gave it to him, so he got it himself. So he's a criminal. So what's going on? You wanted to be on those pills? And Barry's like, babe, I don't know what you're bringing. I don't like this. I'll see you in court. So now we're in court, so you know this game. We're in court and the defense has a you know, a professional on the stand and Cabot's going to be like you dumb whore and like bring her down. So basically, like one point eight percent of people that took aptrol had manic reactions to it. So using the numbers of how many people are anatural, that means basically like fifty to seventy thousand people could have these kind of manic reactions at any moment. And then but it's like a bad study. So the study only had one hundred and ninety people in it. That's not enough to imply that seventy thousand people are going to get it. And the results of the trial have also never been replicated, and you need that for it to be credible. So then this professional, this is like one of my favorite things that's ever happened.
Speaker 3: Son.
Speaker 2: The professional brings up anecdotal evidence in Cabot goes, I thought you were here as a scientist, not as a storyteller. Burn boom, Get out of here, Get out of here. So he's on the stand, the little boy, and he's like, you know, I felt on fire. Nothing could hurt me. I did kill those boys. I wanted to die. I was trying to take my own life, but I was shaking too much. And then Cabot shows the drawing not good for you, Joey, and he's like, it's just a drawing, and it's like, no, it's the dead kids from the gym. But also, you keep aiming aptrel. But you drew these and went to a psychiatrist and planned the shooting before anyone gave you aptrol. So boom baby, And this is one of the worst wigs of all time. On the stand, I would say, especially the hair is bad. The wig is weird. It's a weird choice. It's a weird hairdo. It's like, what were they trying to say? Like, there's just so many questions with the wig, but also a lot of questions with aptrol, and where did he get the drugs?
Speaker 3: Okay, So then the little culkin.
Speaker 2: Is like, maybe I had the thoughts, but I wouldn't have done it without the drug, And so then it's like who prescribed it?
Speaker 3: You know, no one.
Speaker 2: He's stuttering, I don't know, I don't know. He's screaming, I don't know. Cabot's like, you wanted it, you stole it. Stop you know, they're they're on a they're on a scream fest. And then the mom gets up and says, I gave it to him. Okay, it was me. Cabot is stunned. Wow, she's wrong. So we're in blind's room, but it's like the dingy one. She told Barry Murdock about the pills and he said it doesn't matter, you know, where, as long as he took them. So then they're like, so it was prescribed by a doctor and she goes, no, it just showed up in the mail. It just arrived and they're like what. She goes, no, I didn't buy it. I didn't ask for it nothing, it just arrived. She's like, yeah, when the HMO said that they weren't going to pay for therapy, the pills just arrived on my steps. And they're like what the fuck? And she's like, listen, I started a new job. He was getting in trouble in school. My boss was mad, and then the school said that like, if he doesn't get medicated, he can't go to school. And then a box of pills just arrived and she has, you know, the letter and a doctor from three years AGO's name on it. So that's like somehow this doctor she hadn't seen for three years sent her a letter with these pills. She says, I love my son. I wouldn't do anything to hurt him. He was going to get kicked out of school, and I, you know, I wouldn't have a job. And then Sail there's a piece of shit here and goes, you gave your kid drugs to get to work on time?
Speaker 3: Fuck you? Oh my god, he's cute.
Speaker 2: Everyone said it was okay, and she's like, you know, everyone wanted him to do it, and they're like, well, why not get a prescription. She's like, I didn't want him to get labeled. That follows you for life. And one day came home from work and it was on the steps. So I gave it to him. And she's crying and she's like, I thought no one will know and everything will be okay. She's crying even harder. Now. This is all so heavy, and I feel like her and Becky and Baker from the episode Justice. I hope they find a support group together about moms whose fault it is so I feel bad. They're just such sad moms with such big decisions to make. So Cabot is with the squad and you know, on the phone with the pharmacy and the pharmacy said the prescription was legitimate and it was signed by a real doctor and all they did was mail out the medicine. And Craigan's like, but is there a crime. Benson goes, I mean it's sleazy. Cabot's like, no, it's worse than sleazy. Stabler comes in with a poster and a spokesman CEO from this company denies that they would do a mail out thing, but it's like the letter that was with the pills is on the letter head of this drug company. Stabler says that their response to that was that this is a rogue employer who did this and they're gonna s soon be found out.
Speaker 3: So what can we do now?
Speaker 2: So we go talk to the doctor who like is on the prescription from years ago. So we go talk to him and they're like, well, what's the incentive? And I'm guessing it's money. So we're in Chelsea and he says, that's my signature, but I didn't write or read the letter. And he's like skimming in and sables like, aren't you the least bit pissed off someone could do this? And he's like, listen, it was part of a marketing thing. They said that they would send samples, but only to patients who had taken the drug before, and he's like, and they asked how many letters did he sign for this? And he goes twenty four letters and they're like, well, will you share the patientless He's like, oh, I shared it, but only those with depression, and Kabit goes well with or without their consent, and he goes, no, I didn't consult them, and Saber goes, fuck you, I can't believe you would do this.
Speaker 3: He goes, listen, I got paid nothing.
Speaker 2: They guaranteed the three month supply of essential drugs for the clinic, and most patients here have no insurance, and if I don't help them, no one will.
Speaker 3: She's like, whoa fuck, how's the deal?
Speaker 2: You know, how's your deal with the devil going he goes, If it helps poor patients that need the medicine that can't afford it, I'm fine with it, Like and I'm shocked. I didn't expect him to try like that. He was trying to be good, yeah, you know, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's where they get you, because you're like, oh, I kind of see why you did it, but it's like you would it have been pretty easy also to just tell them, Hey, I'm having this sent to you and like, what do you want it? Sign a consent form. Yeah, it's only a few people. It wouldn't have been that hard.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: So he's like Aptrel's also a good drug, Like what could have happened? And then he hears what happened and he's, you know, upset, So he gives up the pharmacy wrap. Jane Wellesley so they go find her and she's like fidgeting at the trunk of a luxury station wagon. She has boxes and boxes of Aptril and she's like, oh, I have nothing to say, and Cabot on Fire, like I said in this episode, goes, how do you know what we're gonna ask?
Speaker 3: Love it?
Speaker 2: She's like no, no, and they use guilt and like what about your kids? We need you to talk and she's like we were very careful and and he goes, no, people are dead, and her face shows some worry and fear. But at the end of it, she goes, I have an appointment, like excuse me. So then she but before she closes the door, cab It catches her and goes, you said we sent it out, so that means the company knew what you were doing. It wasn't just you deciding to like do this marketing scam. And so she zooms off. We see it's a BMW, which is the number one car of assholes. I would say, that's my that's my opinion, and.
Speaker 1: It's full of salses working its way up. But yeah, now it's fucking cyber trucks.
Speaker 2: That is true. That is one hundred percent true. It is a cyber truck. So embarrassing. I oh my god, oh my god. But she zooms off with you know in her beamrah pills Cabot nods, she's gonna bring them down. First, she stops at Huang's office for some advice, and she thinks that the direct marketing tactics are directly responsible for Joey's maname, you know mania, which led to the shooting. And this is all fucked and she's like, the trial starts tomorrow. I think I'm gonna win and I don't want to, and Huan goes, will plead him out. She goes, but how's that justice for the two dead boys? And he's like, it's not. But you can help Joey, like, you know, get him to the psychiatric care that he needs and that's actually justice. And Cabot thinks about it, and they go to Juvie and she's, you know, has a meeting with Barry. Barry does not want to take the deal at all. She's trying really hard. Cabot's like, listen, just have him plead to guilty to manslaughter and he goes to a psychiatric care facility and gets proper treatment. He nods, he understands what you know she's saying. And they're gonna let the kid decide. And the mom's like, wait, we're gonna do this right now, and she starts panicking. She's like, I need time to talk to Joey and make a decision, but courts tomorrow, like they need to make this deal asap. And Joey to his mom's like, no, girl, like it's okay, I know, I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I want to get better. She hugs him.
Speaker 2: They all cry, and Cabot's now walking out of her office and then knock, knock, knock on the if you want me, but it's Fred Thomas and so and Fred Thomas and is not happy with this deal. He's like, man two for a double murder and he's like, you're just letting Barry win. She's like, no, I got new information. Corporate greed got involved. And then Fred Thompson, I took a photo of this immediately as I was watching it, he says, corporate greed is the beating heart of America.
Speaker 3: Alex, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When you said this episode is so timely, I wasn't even thinking about these implications. I was thinking more of just like you know, gun violence in schools. But yes, damn, I'm also this is a Luigi coded episode. I'll make myself a Luigi bracelet. That's what I'll do for myself.
Speaker 2: I'll say it again, corporate greed is the beating heart of America. Alex, Ah, god, it is. That is it? It's really corporate greed and racism. Yeah, it's really cool, really concise. The show is incredible. We're so looking so prescient, like the show like predicts the future. Yeah. So, but he wants justice for the two boys, and I do understand that. And then he calls her a bleeding heart, which is like, Cabo, it's not a bleeding heart.
Speaker 3: She's a prosecutor.
Speaker 2: Like, it's so funny with this nonsense but she he goes, this is nonsense, but she does believe in it. She thinks they are responsible, this drug company, and he goes, fine, then get me justice.
Speaker 3: I don't care how high you have to go.
Speaker 2: I mean, you don't have to tell Alex twice she will bust into a boardroom at any at a drop of a hat. She goes to find Jane, harasses her to come sit down with Joey's mother. Sandra confronts Jane and he's like, you said it was safe, and I gave it to my son. And she's like, yeah, you shouldn't have done that, you know. And they're like, but you just you just sent it. There was no warnings nothing. The mom is just like upset. She's like, yeah, I know what I did wrong. I know what my son did wrong, but like your company, you did some of you you have to share some of the guilts in this. And Jane says, there were clear instructions and you didn't follow them. And then it's like, you're a mother, what if this was your kids? And how does that feel? My kid's on murderer. I don't know why I said it in that voice. It was like a.
Speaker 3: Touching scene, but you know, the classic.
Speaker 2: But she begs her like, please, don't you love your children, like, don't let that people just like, don't let this company destroy anymore lives. This moves Jane. She's teary eyed. I can't take Cabot seriously with these bangs. She says you Jane says, do what do you want from me? And then one of our favorite tropes, well you know what she wants. I'm so excited, big business meeting giant, like you know, building in the sky of view windows suits. I count five women, forty men. And then Stabler is like in front, and then Cabot and Benson are flanking him in the back and they're walking Charlie's Angel style to arrest his ass. And he's like, what is this a hostile takeover?
Speaker 3: Lol?
Speaker 2: And they're like, fuck you bitch, and so yeah, they're like you sign an okay, this marketing we found evan and so yeah. So the mom finally was guilted into sharing all of the evidence that showed the company new He okayed the marketing plan, he oh, is okay getting patient lists, and Stabler is arresting him and I love a rich man not being able to talk his way out of something and he goes, stop it, you're hurting me. And then Cabot walks away and she's like so hot and she's like, yeah, like I did that so good, dick wolf baby.
Speaker 3: And that is that.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: The sad part is like every time this show does give you a little boost of like Sarah Chnin kind of whereen when they arrest like a big pharmacy guy or whatever. But you know, those fucking guys never go to jail, Like, they never ever go to jail. They never get purp walked out in the middle of a board meeting like we're gonna find out more, but like it's just, oh, I want to see it, but it doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: And that's why Luigi matters.
Speaker 1: Into his own hands allegedly allegedly alleged him.
Speaker 3: But somebody did. Somebody did when they got that guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into the real cases.
Speaker 3: There's a few little cases.
Speaker 2: What there was a story just about the bad wig that was that was the true crime of the episode.
Speaker 1: So we'll start in like kind of chronologically in how the episode lays out with a school shooting on February twenty sixth of nineteen ninety two, fifteen year old Khalil Sumpter shot Ian Moore, age seventeen, and Tyrone Sinkler, aged sixteen, dead in the hallways of their high school, which was Thomas Jefferson High School in East New York, which is a section of Brooklyn. At this time, guns are running rampant on the streets of East New York.
Speaker 3: People are killing people who look at them the wrong way.
Speaker 1: Like it is a bad it's a bad time moment in time for this area, and guns are everywhere. On the day of the killings, actually about an hour later, Mayor David Dinkin was scheduled to visit the school to tell the kids to stay.
Speaker 3: Off drugs and stay away from guns. And the hour before the shooting happens. What so did the guys, Like, did the student here, that's the talk. No, he he didn't come.
Speaker 1: They canceled the visit because of this, you know, you know, like there was a huge issue at the school, like a double homicide.
Speaker 2: And I thought I heard Dinkin's message and said that's a like fuck that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like the like, this is a neighborhood where a lot of teens have records. The New York Times wrote about the three boys involved. Quote, none of the youths qualified as full fledged hoodlums, so I wouldn't use that word. That's the Times from the early nineties saying that, but all these boys had records, but they were like not anything super serious. Like, they had records, but they weren't for anything big. The article does also use the R words several times, just to take you back to where it is about, you know, mental, about people's mental state, and then two sentences later they used the word punctilius. So there's a lot happening in this article from the New York Times. But the victims lived the two victims lived in the same housing project, and the shooter, Sumter, lived a couple streets away. And the word on the street was that the two victims would pick on Sumter and intimidate him, but also that Sumter was just a quote unquote a punk trying to prove himself, according to a witness statement to the Times. But in junior high, these guys were all friends in junior high until Tyrone and Khalil allegedly tried to rob another kid and then when he didn't have any money, they beat him up. And then Tyrone got busted for it and Khalil walked, So Tyrone assumed that Khalil made a deal and rat it on him, but the police confirmed that that's not what happened, so but still they became enemies over this. So then later, according to other students, the other victim, Ian tried to steal a gold nugget bracelet from this other kid named Dupree who is Khalil's best friend, and the robbery didn't work out, but still setting up Dupree and Khalil do not like Tyrone and Ian. The next day, Khalil wore the bracelet to taunt Ian and trol him about not being able.
Speaker 3: To steal it. So these guys hate each other.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, Khalil was too scared to really start an altercation with Tyrone, who was very big, but they'd all they'd go all out on harassing Ian, who had recently lost a bunch of weight due to an operation, which is sad and Khalil claims that in the days leading up to the killing, Tyrone threatened him and his family and shot at him on the street, but there was never any evidence that turned up that Tyrone or Ian had guns. And the prosecution thought that Khalil was making up that story. He said, after these threats and after being openly shot at, allegedly he borrowed a thirty eight, but police said that the gun had originally been stolen in nineteen eighty nine from an off duty campus police officer at the University of Medicine and Dentistry in New Jersey in Plainfield, New Jersey. So I don't know how this gun got into his hands, but he somehow got it or borrowed it from someone. One account says that on the day in question, people had told Khalil he was about to get jumped. So all of these things are building and building. So when he sees these guys in the hallway, he says he thought one of them reached into his waistband, and Khalil thought he was reaching for a gun, so he shot both of them dead. He confested the shooting. He claimed he was in fear for his life. He said on the stand, I thought my life was in danger. I thought I'd suffer serious harm. A jury found him guilty of secondary degree murder, but immediately reduced that finding to first degree manslaughter, which these kind of reductions can happen when a jury finds that while the killing was intentional, which is a definition of second degree murder, the actions were carried out with a mitigating circumstance quote unquote. So in this case, they're calling the mitigating circumstance extreme emotional distress. So when he addressed the judge, Sumpter said, I didn't do this out of hate.
Speaker 3: I was pushed into it.
Speaker 1: So he was facing a max of three and a third years to ten years each for each of the two manslaughter convictions, and he would have gotten nine to life for each if he had it, if they hadn't immediately lowered the charge to manslaughter.
Speaker 3: He did get the max.
Speaker 1: He got six and two thirds years to twenty years in prison, which is the longest possible term for someone guilty of two counts of manslaughter committed at the age of fifteen. So I don't know when he got out. I mean, this happened in the nineties, so he would have gone out already. But I looked him up in the I looked his name up in the Uh maybe his name is somehow changed in these because he's only fifteen.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: But he's not in the inmate look up even though they have people that have left. So I don't know why I couldn't find him in the inmate look up. But he's out now he should be, so that I wonder.
Speaker 2: Because he's a juvenile, doesn't SV like those records get expunged or like yeah, or you can't follow along or they get sealed.
Speaker 3: But that's also just from episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he also does go to prison, so I wonder if they tried him as an adult, like he doesn't go to a juvenile facility. I don't know, I have no idea, but that just is like where they drew some of the bar getting the gun because the kids are making, you know, like the storyline at the beginning. Then they obviously referenced Columbine directly, which occurred in April of nineteen ninety nine and is one of the most infamous school shootings in US history. I'm not going to go super in depth about what happened at Columbine. I feel like everybody knows the story, sadly, it's been replicated hundreds of times since. But essentially what happened was that two high school seniors in Columbine, Colorado, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold murdered twelve students and one teacher and then took their own lives. They planned the massacre for a year before they did it. One thing I didn't know about that was that they actually had planned a bunch of bombs and then they wanted it to be a bombing, but all their bombs failed to detonate, so then they went on with a school shooting. So it sparked copycat killings, which are now called the Columbine effect. One connection to this episode is the fact that one of the shooters, Eric Harris, was on a psychiatric drug called Louvox at the time of the murders. The drug is an SSRI, which stands for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, which was prescribed which is used to prescribe obsessive compulsive disorder, and then it says and associated depression. But when you look up louvox, it's mostly prescribed for OCD. It's in the same pharmacological category as prozac, zoloft, and pacsil. According to the Washington Post, which by the way, I had to go on Reddit to figure out a way to hop the paywall of Washington Post and I literally was in Java script doing commands, and I want you all to know how far I went to get not pay for the Washington Post, but to give you this information.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your service.
Speaker 1: They were You're welcome, but they were one of the only places that had like a specific article about the medication that this kid was on. So according to the Washington Post, quote it's praised by health professionals as an important tool in the treatment of an inherited disorder end quote, it's supposed to help curb recurring in irrational thoughts, impulses, images, you know, a lot of the symptoms of OCD. The company that made it was called Solve Pharmaceuticals. They said that six point nine million patients of all ages worldwide have used it, and some people in the article are that they interview even call it a miracle drug. Even though suicidal ideation was listed as a possible side effect, private practitioners and the manufacturer that said that occurrences like that are rare and likely to be caused by underlying depression, and a report released by the US Agency for Healthcare Policy and Research stated that there hadn't been enough research on whether SSRIs are effective in treating depressed children and adolescents and mildly depressed adults. Studies before Louvox came out said that the drug triggered mania in one percent of cases, but it was also then clarified that those were people who actually had bipolar effective disorder, in which there are swings between high highs and lows, you know, like agitated moods and depressions. So that's I don't know, that's some facts on louvox. There's no nothing conclusive really about whether it affected the Columbine shooter. Some people apparently had issues trying to get off the drug that would make thoughts of suicide come up, and then as soon as they got back on the drug, those thoughts would stop.
Speaker 3: Jerry L.
Speaker 1: Russian, a University of North Carolina pediatrician who studies serotonin drugs, told The Washington Posts that patients who stopped taking the drugs typically experience withdrawals, including agitation and anxiety, but didn't get into whether it was, you know, a suicidal ideation was a huge part of the withdrawal. But there were reports that Eric Harris, the Columbine shooter, had tried to stop taking Louvox because the Marines had rejected him for being on it, like the Marines had said, like, we can't, you can't be on like a psychotropic drug. But the FDA has found no evidence that it's linked to violence, and Louvox has increasingly been prescribed to adolescents, but critics say that more trials and testing need to be done to understand the side effects on that age group. So here's another interesting connection is the case of there's a lawsuit was filed in nineteen ninety six called Franklin versus Park Davis. So doctor David Franklin was a whistleblower who blew the whistle on what he believed to be Park Davis's illegal marketing practices in connection with sales of the drug neurontin.
Speaker 3: I hope I'm saying that right.
Speaker 1: Neurontin, and which Park Davis, by the way, is now Pfizer, So I don't know, but it's Pfizer now. So Neuronton was an FDA approved secondary course of treatment for epilepsy.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's an epilepsy drug.
Speaker 1: But uh oh, capitalism is the beating heart of America. It's not making enough money as an epilepsy drug. We don't have enough people with epilepsy or whatever. It's not making enough money, so they're like, let's promote it for additional indications, like for additional medical layeds.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. So the drug was not.
Speaker 1: A few party that knew that I actually really am I was just looking up what that was, which is not illegal. It's not illegal to prescribe off label. I didn't know that. So the drug was not approved by the FDA for any of these things, and there was little to no evidence that it even helped these things. But they started prescribing it for migraines, bipolar add they ignored studies that claimed that said that it really didn't do much, and in the case of bipolar disorder, no study has actually ever shown that it had a benefit over the placebo. So like there's no like some people say, oh, I might have helped a little bit with migraines or whatever, but like nothing for the bipolar, which is you know where I would say more spheres of depression and stuff were coming in. So doctor Franklin was hired to conduct marketing of the drug, and he found that this pharmaceutical company was paying doctors for like illegal kickbacks for prescribing it, including expensive meals like stays at luxury resorts cash. I mean, we got this nice doctor in this episode who's getting paid with drugs for his clinic, which you know obviously makes you so unrealistic. Yeah, but this is like they're just literally giving doctor. I mean, I worked at my mom's office and pharmaceutical reps brought in lunch all the time, Like, and they're in, they're bringing you sandwiches. You're like, oh my god, I guess I love flow vent. Now they're giving me, you know, like a nice rap sandwich. But of course, doctors who have an oath, who've taken hippocratic oath are not usually giving out prescriptions to shit because they got free sandwiches or vacations.
Speaker 3: But I guess some of these doctors were.
Speaker 1: Park Davis had hired ad agencies and marketing firms to write articles about, oh sorry, gabapentin is also the name of this drug. So they had hired marketing firms and ad agencies to write these articles about Wow, You're gonna love gabapentin, and then recruited physicians and paid them to sign their names on the articles. Even though they were ghost written by probably people that aren't even medical professionals. And so, according to Franklin, a case report stated that neuratonin had made a child's attention deficit order worse, and his supervisors dismissed the report and that was a part of his key decision to leave the Park Davis after only working there for four months. And he actually said that a supervisor told him, your career is going to get fucked if you keep raising problems about this, and that's what prompted him to quit. And he filed this lawsuit, and I, you know, a lot of this stuff is like very hard.
Speaker 3: To like a lot of this. When I was reading these articles about this, I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: But I think the summary judgment was thrown out and it was settled.
Speaker 3: It was settled.
Speaker 1: And how much he got four hundred and thirty million dollars to resolve criminal and civil liability related to the off label promotion of narontan.
Speaker 3: I don't know if.
Speaker 1: He got that or if that was, but it was it was like they had they had violated the False Claims Act. So there's a lot of like medical health insurance mombo jumbo in this that I could don't really sift through, but I think I gave you, like the basic you know, the part of this that they drew from was like the pharmaceutical companies acting shady and trying to make more money on medications.
Speaker 2: I was just like, why can't it be enough, like the greed, Like I just can't believe it's that crazy.
Speaker 3: I know, I know it's really bad.
Speaker 1: And yeah, as you like so ahead of the time, like that is so fuck that, like kids could get better with therapy, and they're just like, no, medications are way easier than us paying like expensive therapists for years on end, you know, like they have no.
Speaker 3: There's no depths to their depravity. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well we don't have a guest for this one, so we can just move on to recapping how depressing this talking.
Speaker 3: About or are we just dug about Luigi? All right? So obviously, I.
Speaker 2: Mean so timely. Can you fucking imagine we're doing making manic that's crazy, I know, crazy in the scope of you know, in the world of Luigi. Yeah, but they're suppressing the shit out of the story and everyone thinks that I'm being crazy, and I'm just like, you don't like this is the case, Like this is such a big case. The fact that it's not in the news cycle is crazy. Why is like I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Like I'm like, I'm wondering if it's like, Okay, it absolutely could be like suppression on purpose. It's also like is it one of those things where like we research some of these murders that happened like at the same time as Scott Peterson was happening, so they got eclipsed, Like is it everything that's happening with the world is just like eclipsing the Luigi stuff, Like I know, because we're still talking about Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni, you know what I mean. It's it's like, no, there's room for everything. This is like that's true.
Speaker 2: This is like specific purposeful suppression.
Speaker 3: And I'm scared they're gonna like do.
Speaker 2: A gag order or something for the case, like that would be terrible. Yeah, but we just need to move forward to it. And the thing is like all the like Luigi instagram's are just like I want to know what maniacs like I do think I'm one of the more normal of the Luigi.
Speaker 3: Heads, and like the edits are creepy.
Speaker 2: The edits are weird and it's like, I don't want to see a Science Fare photos from seventeen. I'm like, this is weird. I'm like, you guys are weird. Shit stop you know, yeah, but maybe they're keeping quiet well, so I'm gonna just request her. The attorney is on Instagram as a private account, like, do you think Karen will follow?
Speaker 3: Let me follow her?
Speaker 2: I mean, I wish that they didn't change blue check marks.
Speaker 3: It fucking pisses me off.
Speaker 2: Are like I used to actually mean something so like it would be make you credible, and now it doesn't.
Speaker 3: And that's like so fucking annoying. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I didn't think Instagram was gonna do it, but Zuckerberg's doing everything Elon does now, so bye bye confirming.
Speaker 3: Your identity asers.
Speaker 2: The only thing I would say about everything is like, I'm at the I'm at these things comics like I posted this on my stories too, but like, what happened to being punk rock?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: Really fucking saying something like I'm so sick of these dudes going on stage towing the like making these like both sides. There was a fucking comic that went on stage and did abortion material. I was like, well, you know, it is taking a life, which I'm not. And I'm like, are you fucking kidding me? I'm gonna confront and be like, you know, shouldn't be saying this shit on stage, like our rights are being taken away. And what's crazy is I was. I got into a fucking debate. I couldn't even believe it. This guy was like, well, why don't we have Black History Months? Shouldn't exist? And this person's black, so it's like really hard to like or you know what I mean, Yeah, but they're a troll. Like everyone was like, that person's a troll, Like he just want you know whatever, and he goes, well, Morgan Freeman said, why isn't there like a Jewish his stream month and there's a black when he's like, I didn't realize that was inferior to any of my friends, and then my friends felt bad, and he's I'm like, I don't think Black History Month is teaching black people they're inferior. I think it's the point is to teach that they were treated very badly, like white people should understand the history. I'm like, it's just history that is being suppressed and I go, there isn't a Jewish History Month here because Jews have not been like discriminated against hugely in.
Speaker 3: Our society like in America.
Speaker 2: In America, I'm like, it would be weird, and he was like, oh, I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 3: So I did feel good that. I was like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: But it is like if that's your experience as a black person, like I it's just because you know about my Special. I was like talking to George Sivus about this and it was on their podcast.
Speaker 3: But like I was like, you know, Netflix, as a joke.
Speaker 2: I wanted to call my Special dumb bitch and they're like that actually slays and is so funny and it would catch attention. I go, no, I know, but like I can't call myself a dumb bitch in this world, Like it's not fun anymore. Like if everything was fine, it's fine, but I can't like go on and be like, oh look, I'm a dumb bitch because that and he goes, yeah, you can't be like ironic or silly anymore because things are so tense, Like you can't really take back all these words because they are so real right now, Yeah, like you have to fucking be above it, like you have like flick these motherfuckers off, you know, Like I there was a comic doing a joke about how the people on January sixth are disgusting, like to just unleash these disgusting people who murdered like employees and went into a capitol and off stage a woman went up to him and was like, fuck you, I uhould be ashamed, like starting to fight with him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like things are serious and it's everywhere, and I just can't believe you would go on stage and like, well, Biden's old.
Speaker 3: To fuck you.
Speaker 2: There's Nazis, there's highlers, like fuck you. Comedy used to be so fucking cool and like fuck the system, and now it's just like these complicit, fucking losers, and I'm disgusted with the people I perfer around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, comedy used to be too bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Richard Pryor fucking on crack sucking dick, that's what I miss.
Speaker 3: We still have.
Speaker 4: We have you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is fucked up and obviously very fucked I mean, I don't know, the woman's so relevant, it's still relevant.
Speaker 3: But also the woman in the episode.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, how I know the woman in the episode. She's on fucking Broadway right now, she's in Cult of Love.
Speaker 3: Oh May wading you? Yes? I was like, why do I know her face? Fuck?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but you know I don't love her just giving her kid a medication that a doctor hasn't talked to her about, but this is it's.
Speaker 2: Baloney, making her feel bad. Oh you didn't want to lose your job? Are you fucking crazy? So Gracey? Men just leaving families. Men need to be fucking If you leave your family and you do not financially or like presently support your family, you should be in prison.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Men should be in prison if you don't take her or like yeah, or you work it off.
Speaker 1: You work it off in a labor camp and the money goes to your your wife and.
Speaker 2: He gets just leave and she needs to take care of this wild kid and and then I don't know, but I felt for her when she goes.
Speaker 3: I mean, what could go wrong? Cries Thank God? Life is so hard for so many people. Yeah. Yeah, and it still.
Speaker 2: Is to not be able to afford medication for your to like finally get therapy and try to help your kid, and you can't afford it.
Speaker 3: The fuck is that? Let's get into what would Sister peg Do?
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we try to give you more information about the topics that we're broached in today's episode. And today we'd like to point you to Brady United Against Gun Violence. This is the oldest gun violence prevention group. It is founded and led by survivors of gun violence, and they have a three point strategy of policy reform, industry oversight, and actively changing gun culture in the country. So for more information on that or to donate, you can go to Bradyunited dot org. That will be of course in a story the day that our episode comes out and saved forever in our WWSPD highlight on our Instagram, which is that messed up pod? Also in our show notes or what with Sister peg? Dos are always in our show notes. You can click there for links and uh yeah and.
Speaker 2: Yeah and the next week's episode and we recorded it.
Speaker 3: I know we did. I have no recollection what this is, but we did.
Speaker 2: Solving for the Unknowns Season twenty one, episode nineteen. Join us because I'll find out what we did. You'll find out what we did. It'll be perfect.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys. So much for listening. We'll see you next week. Bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and.
Speaker 1: To our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun Dun