Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Let's continue the conversation. We want to welcome to our global TV and radio audiences. I'm Danny Berger alongside Michael McKee. US employers unexpectedly cut twenty three thousand jobs in July, following a downward revision to May and June figures. Let's bring in White House National Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett. Director, has it great to see you this morning, And I know you've been saying post in reaction to this surprise loss and jobs that you're mostly looking at the unemployment figure and it fell. However, as Mike just pointed out, labor force participation also fell, which is the reason that occurred. So looking at the figures in the state of this jobs market, are there any areas at all that you are concerned about?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, you know, I've been talking about these numbers with Mike for how many years Mike twenty years and so like, he really does raise some the points. And the thing that I would say is that because of our border policy, and because of deportations and the retirement of the baby boomers, then labor force participation is kind of on a downward trajectory, which means that the break even jobs number, that is that the job's number you need so the unemployment rate doesn't go up, has gone from maybe one hundred and twenty hundreds thirty thousand a few years ago to maybe about forty thousand now. And so what it means is that what the market is used to look at, oh, it's like a normal tread the water kind of job's number if it's around one hundred, is no longer true. If you get a number like one hundred, that that's really like a great number and it should make the unemployment rate go way down. And so that's like the technical big picture. Digging into the numbers, there are some things that really jump out at me. That it was like private sector job creation was right about at the break even positive number. It was government employment that went down a lot, about fifty something thousand. And the other thing is that we see in the hospitality sector, you know, the end of the world cup is really clearly of the data too. If you exclude those two things, you had about one hundred thousand number, and that's consistent with all the other indicators, like the purchasing managers being really high unemployment, insurance claims being about the lowest they've been since World War Two, all these other indicators suggested, you know, the market was right what it expected around one hundred. And given that there's just a minor correction that gives you about one hundred, I think suggests that's what.
Speaker 3: The truth will be.
Speaker 1: But we need to see, you know, future numbers before we can make.
Speaker 3: A final judgment. And that's why it's.
Speaker 1: Great to have a person like Mic around to help us think about it.
Speaker 2: I agree, Kevin, for what it's wort, I absolutely agree.
Speaker 4: Well, predictions are hard, especially about the future. As Jogi Berra said, we're both economists. Let's get wonky here. The possible growth potential growth for the United States or any country based on the size of the labor force, whether it keeps growing and productivity. And you're taking credit now for the size of the labor force essentially going down because of the immigration policies of the administration. So is that a good thing for the economy overall?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what's going on right now is if we do the old potential GDP calculations, then you add productivity plus capital deepening plus you know, labor force participation or labour's contribution. I think that one of the things you see in productivity is that it's probably running north of two and a half percent. Capital spending probably adds at least one percent to that. So before you get to the labor story, you're looking at a three three and a half percent GDP number, And I think the labor story is still going to be positive. I just think that it's not going to be as positive as it typically has. If you go back over forty years, the labor story adds about like one or one and a half percent every.
Speaker 3: Year to GDP.
Speaker 1: I think now it's likely to be about.
Speaker 3: A half of that or a third of that.
Speaker 1: Essentially that by the way, you mentioned the hourly earnings. If you look at the weekly earnings actually up relative to inflation quite a bit, about one thousand dollars overall for all Americans, about three thousand dollars for manufacturing workers, four thousand dollars for construction workers. And so there is something going on too where people are something at hours that's going on that's offsetting the participation.
Speaker 4: President watching in the Oval office is just saying, you got your point in Kevin, good job about that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's watching, but I'll find out.
Speaker 3: I can tell you.
Speaker 4: People we've talked to so far today are basically saying this is a non event, even with the negative number for the FED, because it shows the labor market is stable if nothing else, and they can focus on inflation. I'm wondering, though, why the President is saying things like Kevin has to can do what he needs to do. The labor market was stable under j Powell, and the President was really mad at him all the time.
Speaker 3: Why is he giving.
Speaker 4: Kevin or so much more runway even though conditions haven't changed all that much.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I could say that the president, you know, there have been some news stories that the president's talking to Kevin Warreshould. Of course he is, you know, and he talked to Jay Powell too. But the other thing is that that Kevin warreshold the President have a very close long term relationship from New York City, from Florida, and they talk about the economy all the time. And I talked to Kevin as well as does Scott Besson, and so that's like not really news. And the fact is that there's somebody at the FED now that the President is one hundred percent sure is going to do what's right based on the numbers and not play partisan games. And you know heard me mention some of the partisan games that I could think.
Speaker 2: I just wanted apologies for jumping, I just wanted to pick up all this one of the conversations because you mentioned about the economy. Are they talking about monetary policy as well as are just like broad economic advice.
Speaker 1: I've not been listening to the conversations, but I'm sure that the President doesn't say, hey, you got to do this or that to interest rates.
Speaker 3: He respects you well.
Speaker 2: Given that line of communication is open, I wonder if we could do a little bit of scenario analysis. Let's say that this FED does hike. There was an e f T report saying that perhaps the chair worsh might hike if the data continues as it is for September. What do you think the president's conversation would be like with FED share warh should that happen.
Speaker 1: The President is going to respect the independence of the FED. I'm highly confident, and when it's very very natural for the President to do something like say, hey, you know, Chairman worsh, what do you think about today's job number? And that's a very normal thing for him to do. But I think that's the way you should think about the balance of the conversations.
Speaker 4: Forgive me for asking this, but I've been dying to ask you this question since you brought this up last Friday. You said that the biggest danger to the economy is that socialist communist Democrats actually have a big victory in November. What is socialism in your mind?
Speaker 1: Well, well, you know Mike that I, as cechair, wrote a chapter about it in the Economic Report of the President. Was widely criticized because people said, oh, there's no way the Democrats are socialists. I didn't say democrat anywhere in the report, said here's the risk of socialism. But then I wrote a book, The Drift Stopping America Slide to Socialism, because I believe socialism. We are sliding towards socialism through that party. And so socialism is when the government owns the capital and then hands it out to people.
Speaker 3: Is a very simple definition.
Speaker 1: And so let's just say, hypothetically, the government decides to have grocery stores where it sets the prices and tells people like when they can get in and get the cheap stuff. The history of this is that the grocery stores end up being empty. Prices don't matter because there's nothing to buy, and over time, socialism leads to public disorder, and you see it in Venezuela, you see it in Cuba and so on, and so it's a terrible path to go. But I think that what people underappreciate is that the policies they've been advocated by Democrats since President Trump took office, where hey, you could have wealth taxes, you could have really high taxes on income.
Speaker 3: You could really high taxes on capital.
Speaker 1: Game, they've been basically sliding forwards socialism for a long time. And so while the new people are a lot more charismatic than the people of the Senate, I think the policies that they're advocating better care for all, you know, like, come on, Hillary Clinton's self care policy was.
Speaker 3: About that, right, and so that I think that that's the.
Speaker 1: Uncomfortable thing that Democrats have to come to terms with, is that these socialists are actually advocating things that Democrats have advocated for a long time.
Speaker 4: Well, if government ownership of means of production is part of the definition there, then the Trump administration has taken shares in Intel, MP Materials, Trilogy Metals, Lithium Americas, and they've got the golden share in US steel. Why is that not socialism?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's not control. So, for example, the Norwegians have a sovereign wealth fund. They own maybe about three or four percent of US equities. That's not socialism. They're not going in and telling the management to do and so on. And so I think that one of the things that President Trump and Howard not to give noticed is that in the end, the US would be way better off if we have something like a soferg wealth fund. Then we're certainly putting up firewalls to make sure that.
Speaker 3: Zabi can't come in and micro manage less firms. We just heard from Rick Reader of Black Rock, you know, well.
Speaker 4: We need to see something on the fiscal side to try to get the economy moving in companies spending. Again, does the President have any plans to propose something like that or are we kind of stuck until after the midterms and or if the Democrats take control of one of the houses, we're stuck for two years.
Speaker 1: You know, I think that Rick's call for, you know, some kind of stimulus package, I guess I haven't seen what he said. Feels completely inconsistent with all the data I'm seeing right now, and so I'd have to see what Rick was saying. But right now there are You know, obviously we're watching closely the welfare of the American people, but we haven't had meetings where we talk about a stimulus.
Speaker 2: Film director Hassett. You know, it's often that great leaders need to be ones who surround themselves with people who can deliver them hard truths. And it's a strange time in this economy. Many things are changing, be it AI or impact of higher oil prices. I wonder what those conversations are, like. How often are you coming to the president and delivering him advice that's maybe hard to take that parts of this economy maybe need various efforts. How often are you having those difficult conversations?
Speaker 1: You know, I obviously can't talk about specific conversations with the President.
Speaker 3: I was in the Oval with them last night.
Speaker 1: We talked about a wide range of issues, and he doesn't really have much.
Speaker 3: Patience for yes men, and so.
Speaker 1: When you go into a meeting of the Oval, what the guy can say is that you cover a wide range of topics and a wide range of opinions.
Speaker 4: Always all right, what do we think is going to happen now with Iran? And the reason I asked that is because everybody also that we have talked to says that, boy, it would sure do a lot if we got that war over with and prices came down for energy.
Speaker 1: Well, again, I'm not involved in the negotiations with the Iranians. I don't have any insight. That's not you know, it's stronger than yours on.
Speaker 3: The specifics of the negotiations.
Speaker 1: I could say that we've done an enormously good job stabilizing global energy markets despite this disruption, by doing things like increasing production through pipelines, getting the Jones actwave so that American energy can move to the coast. And that's one reason why while energy prices are higher than we would like, they didn't go nearly as high as a lot of the people on your shows were saying. Right, people were saying we're going to be stuck at one hundred and fifty dollars oil just a few months ago. And so I think what that means is that all of these steps that we've taken increasing energy production, especially in the US, means that when this is resolved, then prices are going to drop a lot. And I think that that is something that's being priced into futures markets, and it's actually affecting this today because if you know bioil today somewhere, then it usually takes about two months to be shipped, and so the you know, it really puts a downward pressure on prices today.
Speaker 4: Now I got to put you on this spot again one more time here in an area that you do follow, and that is the budget for the United States. The President's budget would add a lot more to the debt. That means more bonds have to be sold. And we were just talking with a lot of people this morning about how much private debt is coming to the markets, especially from the AI sector. How much do you worry about interest rates going up and the country having to pay a lot more because there's a lot of demand for bonds right now, a lot of demands I sell them rather well.
Speaker 1: I mean, the point is that what the President's done is he's put out of budget that gets the deficit to GDP down to almost nothing over a ten year window. We've taken significant steps to achieve those by for example, reducing federal employment by more than three.
Speaker 3: Hundred thousand workers.
Speaker 1: And I just got a briefing on the Vice President's fraud Task Force yesterday. The way do you see, there's going to be tens and tens of billions of dollars just in a year. So multiply that by ten to get the deficit effect of a fraud that we've stopped that the Vice Presiden's team is stopping. And so we're one hundred percent focused on the deficit of the log RUD.
Speaker 3: But we also at.
Speaker 1: Times when we spend less money on international organizations, we can spend more money on the defense things that keep us safe. And so we're changing things you know, within the bundle. But we're definitely shooting for lower deficit over time.
Speaker 2: Just combining these two ideas, Director Hasset, of taking action and what you were mentioning before with higher oil prices. This is a president who has signaled out big oil, both Excellon and Chevron specifically amid this ongoing crisis. What steps is this White House going to do in order to act on the idea that big oil is contributing to the inflation we're seeing in higher prices?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that, you know, big oil is heavily concentrated in the US.
Speaker 3: It's something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: But the bottom line is the global energy price story is a positive one compared to what people thought, and I think that the things that made it positive are going to make prices drop very very quickly once they stem.
Speaker 2: Sir Director has when you say too concentrated, they're just too big. Is it kind of an anti trust issue you think?
Speaker 1: You know, as an economist, you could look at something like the herfindal in decks and just think about, like, what share of the market.
Speaker 3: Does any business have?
Speaker 1: And that's something that you know is a source of investigation for people at the FDC and the Justice Department. That's not something that's within the purview of the DC.
Speaker 2: Understood, Kevin, thank you very much for your time this morning. That's the White House National Economic Council Director Kevin Hasset