Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshon. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon and Dad. This is the most exciting time of the baseball season.
Speaker 2: This week right here.
Speaker 3: Right Jeff Pennant races are great, wild card races are tremendous, MVP Cy Young races. It's the best week of the regular season. There's no way around this. And we we are spending the most important week of the regular season at the beach. I went to the Harris teeter here the other day to get groceries for the family, and a guy comes up to me. I'm in there for like thirty seconds. A guy comes up to me, doesn't even say lo and just says, shouldn't you be at a game? And I'd been on the island for like an hour and that's the first thing anybody says to me. I feel so bad about this, But Jeff, explain the fathers who are here and now the grandfather you caull you me. We've been coming here for fifty years.
Speaker 1: It's our family vacation, a great fifty years. Five best friends from elementary school. I've been going to the Outer Banks and it's just such an important trip. And you know, when you're doing with five families, right, that now becomes thirty two people in one house because fathers became grandfathers. There's a ton of kids running around, so you try to find the best time for everybody. And guess who had the last vote on when the best time for everybody was? Old Tim and Jeff kirkshon over here. So we brought our travel equipment with us. We're doing the podcast ad in a movie theater that's in the basement of this place, which.
Speaker 3: Is not a house, it's a hotel. It seats like it sleeps like forty five people, right, And how many do we have at the top here? We have thirty I.
Speaker 1: Think when we have the most amount of people, I think I did the math. I think it's thirty two. I think at the peak of everybody being here. So we're just so happy to be here and we're keeping up with you.
Speaker 3: We've got a.
Speaker 1: Great interview tomorrow with Kevin Brown. We'll get to that in a little bit, so the podcast will still go off as usual Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week. You'll just see or hear us from Beautiful Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Right, and in the spirit of where we are, Jeff, we're gonna we're gonna elevate the team. Tim we usually put it at the end of the episode. We're gonna bring it up to the top because we're at the beach. So I haven't told you this. What do you think the theme is for this week? It's fairly obvious, the Beach, the All Beach Team. Okay, We're gonna start with our pitching staff because the pictures are best represented the All Beach Team. Our first picture is Matt Beach. How about that. We've got Ernie Shore perfect. We've got Doc Ellis who actually used on the All Dental Team, and I have to tell you wait, we're gonna need him next week for the All Beach Team. Bobby C s spelled s A Y, Stephen schll s h E l L and Son Wu Kim. So those are the six pictures that we chose. We could have picked a lot more, but I've got to keep it six, all right. Chris Coast is our catcher perfect. This is where it gets a little repetitive. But you know, Jeff, you can't repeat names no matter what. Those are the rules of team, Tim.
Speaker 1: Real quick, go through your pictures again, in it with your eyes and tell me blank to coast, what would be the best picture?
Speaker 2: Catcher sun coast.
Speaker 3: Sun coast, right, might be the best one, right, Sea coast, right, shore coast, No, right, all right. Jerry Sands is the first basement. Jackson Holiday, you know you're on and Ekle Craig and Toronto calls it a holiday. We call it a vacation. Same idea. Heine Sand, So we've had Jack Sands. Heine Sand is our shortstop. And again we're really pushing it here. Sandy Alomar Senior Sandy Yeah, is our third basement, even though he was mostly a second baseman. And our three outfielders Drew Waters, Champ Summers and Chuck Tanner. I look for a guy named tan but I couldn't find him, so Chuck Tanner is going to have to do that. Jeff is the All Beach team.
Speaker 1: Well done, And I want to give a shout out to one lovely couple we go to the beach with every year, Tim and Kim daily. They listen to the podcast and or watch on YouTube every single week. Dad and Kim looked at me and said it brings me so much joy. I'm like the crazy woman walking through my neighborhood, laughing hysterically listening to the podcast.
Speaker 2: And then she hits me with I don't.
Speaker 1: Understand half the things you're talking about, but boy is it fun.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good. And Tim Daly, Kim's husband also goes by pop Pop. So his real name is Tim like mine, his grandfather name is pop Pop. So the number of times I've turned because someone is calling for pop Up but they're not calling for me Tim, well, yeah, yeah, three three kids call me pop up, and there's seven kids here that call him pop Up. So it's been a little confusing, but it's been great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I multiple times when you two have been together, I just go pop Pop Pop Pop, because all four pops are.
Speaker 3: Taken care of that, right, absolutely.
Speaker 1: All right, dad, Well, let's jump into the takeaways across Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: There is so much happening right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we have to go back a few days because it was that important Friday night, Clayton Kershaw pitched what will be his final regular season game at Dodger Stadium, and it was an amazing event. Of course, let's understand who Clayton Kershaw is Jeff. He's the best active pitcher. He's the best pitcher of this generation. With all due respect to Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander or our first ballot Hall of Famers, the best picture of this era that we're in right now is Clayton Kershaw. He has the lowest era, Jeff, of any pitcher since nineteen twenty live ball era with at least twenty five one hundred innings. Pitch wow. And the key is Jeff. He has been great this year. This isn't a swan song, and he's going out on the bottom. He's going out on top. And now we can only hope, for his sake and for the Dodger's sake that they have a great postseason. But they finished with a wonderful, wonderful tribute to Clayton Kershaw and so our cousin, my cousin, your aunt, Julie Schmodian. Julie was there, and Julie Townsend her married name, and she must have texted me five times during the night, and one was just I can't stop crying, mist I mean, that's how important this was. And Jeff, again not to be corny about this, but he's pitched his entire career for the Dodgers. He is one of the greatest pitchers in Dodger history. Maybe only Sandy Kofax was better, and that's debatable. And he's such a good guy that when when he retired, like the final night, you know, people came back. You know who hadn't played with him in years. Austin Barnes, one of his catcher, came back. Matthew Stafford, the quarterback. Whole came because he grew up in the same neighborhood and went to the same high school as Clayton Kershaw. So this is why baseball is such a beautiful sport. Is we didn't just send off such a great pitcher. We sent off such a great guy. And that's that was really nice. Oh ye see, and let me finish it. Let me let's see if see how well you can finish the Remember the anagram that I used for Clayton Kershaw, there are two ways to use. What's the anagram of Clayton Kershaw's name? Now that he became against the Giants in that game, he became the all time strikeout leader against the Giants, passing Warren Spawn So there's a hook to this ridiculous anagram that I came up with.
Speaker 1: Ci Hero wants K right la la ci Hero wants K.
Speaker 3: Jeff very poor la k Hero wants cy. Yes, I always forget the la. Yeah, yeah, that's all right, Jeff. That was really good. You can remember that. I've only used it like ten times.
Speaker 1: I mean I really am a slow to remember these things. But when you repeat him, I mean I could. I could repeat every line from Get Smart at this point because we use him so many times.
Speaker 3: Wait, do we have Jeremy Schappa on the air?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Right, next week?
Speaker 1: That's next week, a week from tomorrow on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Wow, but make sure you tune in for Kevin Brown tomorrow, broadcaster for the Baltimore Orioles. Hilariously funny, so great, brilliant broadcaster and does it's the greatest Jim Palmer impersonation I've ever seen, Jeff, Have you and I laughed that consistently hard at the same time, And when Kevin Brown did Jim Palmer, it's.
Speaker 2: That and Aaron Boone's impressions. Laughing that hard? I mean that was last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, so this season, I don't think you and I have laughed as hard than we did at that moment.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 1: Can I also say that Aunt Julie does she miss an important game? Wasn't she at the Kobe eighty six point game? Eighty one point game?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Her and her son Brett, And Brett heard her son, my nephew. I went to his wedding last year. He's caught like ten foul balls at a game. Then he goes to it, you know, an obscure Laker game, and Kobe goes for eighty one and then they show up at Otani does these amazing things. So yeah, So Julie is a good luck charm. So if she keeps going to the games, the Dodgers have a chance to do something really good. All right, stay on the West Coast. Mike Trout finally hit his four hundredth home run. Mike Trout. Now, let's be clear, Jeff, Mike Trout is hitting in the two twenties this year, and he's not the player he used to be, and he's had injury issues, but let's still be clear, he's one of the greatest players we've ever seen. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer. The amazing thing to me is and Bill Chuck pointed this out for us. Bill Chuck from Billy Ball, We Love Bill that when Trout got to four hundred, he had two hundred homers at home and two hundred homers on the road. So Neil ay Or, I don't know how to pronounce it, sorry Neil, but he also texted us a great game or what that? When Fred McGriff and Jason Giambi got to four hundred homers, they each had two hundred at home two hundred on the road. Now, I didn't check with Frank on the Elias. Well, I could have checked that in five minutes by myself, but that's not the point. We have people calling in on these things. And what did you You got an email from somebody else?
Speaker 1: Ye Woodward, member of the family, always messaging with us. Francisco Lindor hit a home run on Sunday for the Mets. In his career, he has two hundred and seventy six home runs, one hundred and thirty eight with Cleveland and one hundred and thirty eight with the New York Mets, one hundred and thirty eight at home and one hundred and thirty eight on the road.
Speaker 3: Jeff, that is so Bisarre.
Speaker 1: I mean, hey, John Woodward found that guy is a huge for that he is he really.
Speaker 3: Are so helpful? Who are are emailing us because they have critical information?
Speaker 1: Isn't it great when we don't have to do as much prep because they do it for us out.
Speaker 3: On the beach and they're looking up two hundred and two hundred.
Speaker 2: So okay, stop burying yourself in the sand. You're okay, feel.
Speaker 3: Terrible about it.
Speaker 2: I know you do.
Speaker 3: Or of course plays for the Mets And at this sitting at the moment we are taping this on Monday, the Mets would not make the playoffs, which is just inconceivable, Jeff. In the middle of June, they had the best record in baseball. They were twenty one games for five hundred. So the last team to not make the playoffs when they were at least twenty one games over five hundred. I thought it was further back than this, but the Indians, Guardians whatever we're calling them, twenty nineteen were the last team to do that, and Jeff, this is amazing. Also, the Tigers might not make the playoffs also because now they're in a fight to win the division, and if they don't win the division. They might not win a wild card because they just got swept at home six game series first time since twenty nineteen. The Tigers were twenty five games over five hundred. So there are two teams this year twenty one over and twenty five over in theory who might not make the playoffs. It just shows you, Jeff, what we were saying right at the beginning, how great this last week of the season is. I mean, we're not rooting for bad things like this, but this is some mild history being made. And you know, the Mets fans are going to be outraged they don't make the playoffs after being twenty one games over because the Reds are tied with them as of Monday morning, and the Reds own the tiebreaker over the.
Speaker 1: Over the Mets and nine of the last ten games the Guardians have won nine of the last ten games, Detroit has lost nine of the last ten games. Seattle has won as well.
Speaker 2: So we're seeing.
Speaker 1: This is the time to go on a run. And they took over the division from the Astros.
Speaker 3: This is what makes this time so exciting, right And in this taping, the Mariners had won fourteen out of fifteen to take a three game lead in the division, which is amazing. And if the Guardians come back and win the division, because they were fifteen and a half games back, they will set the record for the furthest amount back to come back and win a division or a league. How about that? That's what we're talking.
Speaker 1: Incredible. I mean that clubhouse has really turned around. And you know, at the trade deadline you kind of looked at both THEA and Cleveland and you were like, are they not really?
Speaker 2: You know what's going to happen?
Speaker 3: Both out multiple times? Again, this is the beauty of baseball, Jeff, But this is the biggest beauty of twenty twenty five just how unpredictable it has been.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to throw you, but also the Diamondbacks, we all thought that what is going on there? A game out of the wild.
Speaker 3: We talked about them last week. Also, they they traded at the they didn't acquire, they traded trade deadline, and here they're coming back. Tory Lavello a great job that he's done.
Speaker 2: All right, Dad, should we jump into the courtchins?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: So we had this was pointed out by several people, including me. We had a three eight six force out the other day and people were asking me, have you ever seen anything quite like this? And I don't think I have. So the Reds are playing the Cubs. Pete crow Armstrong is at the plate. He hits a line drive that hits off the first baseman's mitt of Spencer Steer. What's the US and on mits and gloves.
Speaker 1: Jeff, Only catchers and first basemen have mits. Everybody else they don't have what they don't have the fingers fingers right if you put on right in.
Speaker 2: The winter, you don't have fingers if you have gloves on.
Speaker 3: So it hits off Spencer Steer's mitt. It then hits the runner and then the ball goes into center field and TJ. Friedel in center field picks up the ball and throws Moises Ballistero's out at second. So Pete crow Armstrong gets a rocket to first, doesn't get a hit out of it. The ball actually hits the ground, still doesn't get a hit out of it because Ballistero's is forced out at seconds, so Pete crow Armstrong gets no hit on that. It goes as a three eight six force out. How weird is that?
Speaker 2: That is very strange?
Speaker 3: And now how weird is this The Royals beat the Blue Jays twenty to one in a game just the other day, of course, and earlier this year, the Blue Jays beat the Rockies twenty to one. So the Blue Jays won a game and lost a game by nineteen runs in the same season. So I called Frank from the Elias. He's so helpful. The twenty eighteen Mets and the twenty eighteen Phillies are the only teams ever to win a game by nineteen and lose a game by nineteen or more in the same season. So it's only been done two other times, and it was done in the same year twenty eighteen, and the Mets that year beat the Phillies in one of those games. Oh wow, Yeah, so that's weird. But no team has ever played a I mean twenty to one. It is kind of an interesting score, right, So no team has ever won a game and lost a game by the exact twenty to one score in the history.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And we're saying in the history of baseball, which is currently running at seven hundred and ninety four years, right, think about that, that's how long the game's been around.
Speaker 2: It At least it feels.
Speaker 3: That long, right, Okay, So in that game, the Royals got twenty seven hits. I was surprised by this, and the Blue Jays got three. So they got out hit by twenty four hits in a game. The last time any team did that was in ninety four. The Phillies scored twenty eight more runs than the Louisville Colonels ninety four, Jeff, Now, what's the answer to that.
Speaker 2: The Colonels, right, what about them?
Speaker 3: Eighteen ninety four?
Speaker 2: Oh eighteen?
Speaker 3: Of course, the Louisville Colonels, as we know, right where there were still Civil War colonels alive. The Colonels were playing, right, and we have a note that goes all the way back to that. All right, speaking of the Phillies, Taiwan Walker, Phillies are your team now, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've adopted them, right.
Speaker 3: Taiwan Walker started and a newcomer came in to relieve him. Do you remember who the the brand new pitcher, that the veteran pitcher that they Walker Buller. Yes, yeah, So Taiwan Walker was followed by Walker Buller, right, not the most unusual thing. My favorite one on all these was when the Blue Jays had a bullpen that included David Bush and Brandon League. And multiple times David Bush was relieved by Brandon League, so we had the Bush Bush League bullpen. We love that.
Speaker 2: That's Bush League, right.
Speaker 3: And last thing, Jeff Aaron Judge drew his one hundredth intentional walk of his career, all of them of course with the Yankees. Now we started charting officially intentional walks in nineteen fifty five. So the only two Yankees that have had more intentional walks in their career, so this doesn't include Ruth or Garriger DiMaggio. John Mattingly had one hundred and thirty six and Mickey Mantle had one hundred and twenty six. And now Judge has his one hundredth intentional walk. All right, Now, let's see if you can remember the amazing statistic about Barry Bonds. Just give me a rough idea how many intentional walks Barry Bonds had in his career? Now again, play this whole career since we've been charting, right, Just take a guess, Jeff six, I'm gonna say three fifty eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Didn't he have one hundred in a season?
Speaker 3: Yes, two thousand and four Jeff, he had one hundred and twenty wow in one season two thousand and four, So airon Judge.
Speaker 1: For people who might not know Dad, give a rough estimate roughly of how many at bats a how many played appearances an everyday player would have in a season, well roughly six hundred, six hundred see one hundred and twenty in a season. So basically one out of four times, one out of five, one out.
Speaker 3: Of five times he gets intentionally walk, not walk. Think about no one in the American walked one hundred and twenty times that season, any in any way walk walked intentionally, unintentionally, combined, So that that just shows you who Barry Bonds is and as great as Aaron Judges. And we don't intentionally walk people today, Jeff, like we used to. But it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: Even though it's easier to do.
Speaker 3: These areas had more twenty more in one season than Aaron Judges had in his career. It just shows you how amazing it is what Barry Bonds did.
Speaker 1: Coming up next on is this a great game? Or what we've got on this date in baseball history, Dad brought some cards from the bathroom. Yes, we'll explain we'll explain more. And then I finally, one week late, have my team Jeff that I have created and hopefully, hopefully it lives up to your standard. Dad, we'll find out it's all coming up next.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to is this a game or what we are recording?
Speaker 1: In a movie theater in the basement of a beach house in Outer Banks, North Carolina. Dad, give your little disclaimer before?
Speaker 3: Can you give it again? I've already apologized ten times. I've already acknowledged my guilt in this room last night. This is why coming to the beach matters. I watched the movie Coco for the first time. Oh you watched I'd never seen that.
Speaker 2: I've been telling you to watch that. Did you watch the whole thing?
Speaker 3: I did? And you cried out loud, out loud, out loud.
Speaker 1: Dad, I watched that movie. Emily was my wife. Emily was a dog sitting for this one family.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: This was right when we started dating, and I went over in.
Speaker 1: The morning and the night before we had started watching Coco, but then I had to go, so we cut it off halfway through. And then I got there in the morning to pick her up, and she was like, I'm getting ready, and I said, I'm gonna finish this movie. I watched the final thirty minutes and we had just started going out, and I am bawling my eyes out on a strange couch while my then girlfriend, who I don't know that well at this point, is getting ready for our day and I am just bawling my eyes out. So for those who don't know, it's a story about the Mexican tradition of the afterlife right and keeping their memory alive, and it all kind of centers around this little boy. But the little boy's great grandmother, Coco, is she has Alzheimer's or dementia of some sorts, and she is having trouble remembering her father's memory. And there's a whole backstory as to that.
Speaker 3: But and I watched it, Jeff with Carson, my four year old grandson, sitting right in front of me, and he came back and sat in my lap briefly, and after it was over, walked back to Kelly's room, my daughter's room, your sister's room, and Carson told us what happened, and she's and he said to Kelly, that reminded me of Nana and Pop, just my mother and father, Carson knew that. Yeah, he's four years old.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, my grandmother, my dad's mom, moved in with us when I was fifteen years old and she went through dementia and Alzheimer's and that.
Speaker 2: Story was just so it was just so emotional.
Speaker 3: It's so close to Homer year old connecting the dots there and recognizing that Pop Pop has something to do with this movie because his mom is Nna and his dad was Pop.
Speaker 1: How about that, Dad, I'm telling you, how many years have I told you to watch that?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 2: And I'm so glad you did.
Speaker 3: I know we were watching it. I just they said we're watching a movie. So I took over. All right, you're not that.
Speaker 2: I'm going to start Pop. I love that movie and the music of the movie is great.
Speaker 3: Okay. This day in baseball history, Chuck Klein, Philly's right fielder, recorded his forty fourth outfield assist. So nineteen thirty that was the first year that we had a forty forty guy. Forty homers, forty outfield assists that no one counts those things. But the interesting part of that, the first forty forty guy in Major league history was Jose Knseko forty homers, forty steals, the more traditional forty forty. And he got to forty forty on this date in nineteen eighty eight, So fifty eight years after Chuck kleinb became well, he was already a forty forty guy. Jose Kinseco became the first official forty forty guy in Major league history. And this is amazing too, Jeff, speaking of two hundred. Okay, on this date in nineteen ninety, Gary Gayetti hit his two hundredth major league home run, and he hit it off of Charlie Huff. Nine years four days earlier, Gary Gayetti hit his first homer. And who do you think he hit it off? Now, Charlie Huff.
Speaker 2: He's got his number?
Speaker 3: How great?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 2: So crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And I was at the one when he hit the one off of Charlie Huffs, So that was pretty yeah all right? And on uh this, we have a couple of birthdays this state. In nineteen fifty two, Jim Morrison was born. Pretty good major league infielder. He could hit. Not Jim Morrison get this from the doors?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: How about that Pop Pop Wait to Go Dad musical reference? Yeah, Jim Morrison loved Jim Morrison, but he's the one that got Ambidextra's and Amphibious mixed up. So he said, oh, that guy's amphibious. And then he I'm not sure if he was joking, but he said I think he can throw underwater, which is not the definition of right. All right. Nineteen sixty nine, Jeff Cirillo was born really good hitter for the Brewers and then for the Rockies. He was a really good hitter. And you're if you if you get this, I've told you this multiple times, I'll give you one thousand dollars. Jeff Cirillo went to the All Star Game the first time and till he got on the wrong plane on the wrong plan.
Speaker 2: He said, hey, aren't you Jeff Soirillo? He said yeah. He goes, aren't you playing for the All Star Game?
Speaker 3: And he goes yeah.
Speaker 2: He says, well, this plane's going to New York. You got to go to Cleveland.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, Jeff. You're actually listening to all of my stupid stories and all you need is a brief clue. All right.
Speaker 2: Jeff Sorilla, poor Jeff Sorilla, was so excited.
Speaker 1: To just get recognized on the plane.
Speaker 2: So his highest moment was led his lowestue.
Speaker 3: Going to the All Star Game. He goes, yeah, well it's in Cleveland. This play is going to New York. Yes, I've told that story probably too many times, I know, but I finally locked in. You get this one. I'm not kidding. I'm on a high right now. I remember you left some million dollars if you can get this phone in this story, the story I have. Nineteen sixty six, Pete Harnish was born former Major league pitcher, went to Fordham, played for the Orioles Astros, Reds, few others. Pete Harnish, I'm going to give you a giant clue. How did he earn extra money in college?
Speaker 2: Pete Harnished? He didn't cut hair.
Speaker 3: He went to Fordam, so that's a downtown New York college.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what he did.
Speaker 3: Dad good, you just saved me a millillion dollars to make extra money in college or somebody. Pete Hardish, I love this used to appear in police lineups. Oh that's right. So he would go in like eleven o'clock at night and face the camera, then face the other way, as he told me, he said, he said, thirty bucks for regular case, fifty bucks for a murder case. Can't make this stuff up now, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's like there's so many great side hustles. I know my father in law he gave plasma all the time, and he would use that as you know, money to go join his pickleball league or whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: Getting in a police lineup though, and maybe being wrongly accused of murder. I don't know, I'm doing that looks for a murder case.
Speaker 3: I love it. It's so good. All right, Jeff, we have a new feature we've only used once, and I have to explain it. You know, Three Coins and a Fountain is a famous song Steve Martin sings at others, of course. So I was going through the bathroom at home in the basement the other day and there's a stack of baseball cards. There must be three hundred of them in the bathroom. So I just reached in and picked out three. So that's the new This is the new segment we're gonna do at least once a week.
Speaker 2: You know what's also in that bathroom?
Speaker 3: In the bathroom, what.
Speaker 1: Is a picture of cal Ripken's two one, three, one three one taken on my wife's actual birthday.
Speaker 2: We learned that the hard one.
Speaker 3: Have you told Emily that we forgot as we did this cal Ripken podcast that she was actually born? That was she offended.
Speaker 2: Guess how much she cares?
Speaker 1: Not as much, she said, Jeff, great, can you go pick that up for me? I said, okay, Now she thought it was crazy too, And then I talked to her parents about it, and they said, yeah, we were a little occupied having twins that day.
Speaker 2: So I understand.
Speaker 3: Okay, understood.
Speaker 1: And they're San Diego people. They're Tony Gwynn threw and through. They're San Diego Padre fans. That's what they love.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right. Three cards in a fountain, Jeff, Okay, these are the These are the three that I picked out. I mean, I didn't go through twenty and say, let me pick out three that I can tell a story about. These are the three cards I picked. Now, the first one involves a swear word, but we're gonna have to bleep it out. But the first one is ron Oster. Ron Oaster was a good second baseman for the Reds for several years, but one year he well, he didn't draw a whole lot of walks. And one year he had a really long stretch without drawing a walk, and one of the writers went to him and said, Ron, like, you don't walk very often. It has been X number of it bats since you walked. And he looked at him, and Ron Oster is a great dude, but he says, if I wanted a walk, I would have been a fucking postman. Pretty good comeback.
Speaker 2: That's all right, Well, we'll bleep it out.
Speaker 3: You get it's bleeped. Sometimes the F word must be used.
Speaker 1: I remember when I was younger, your your second book, What You're did your second oh four, yeah sounds right.
Speaker 3: I forget ish okay.
Speaker 1: Around two thousand and four, so I was like ten or eleven years old, and I remember reading it and you quoting baseball players or managers saying bad words, F words, and so, because you're right, dad, you're a journalist.
Speaker 3: Times it is important to the sentence.
Speaker 1: And I remember because I had never heard you curse at that point, because.
Speaker 3: I wasn't I was quoting somebody I know. Well, that's what you explained to me. You said, Jeffrey, I didn't say the word. I was quoting somebody else. Say it, and then our dog ate your baseball glove. And then I heard you say multiple curse words all back to back to back to bad. That was bad again. The F word is important only like in important times like for for for emphasis or pain, right, and nobody uses the F word better than al Pacino better. Sometimes you just have to use all right.
Speaker 2: Enough of that because we don't know with fingernails right, right.
Speaker 3: It's the difference.
Speaker 1: Between between winning and losing and dying.
Speaker 3: That's a great movie. It was a great speech, what a great movie, all right.
Speaker 1: The last guy who should be just looking at him as a football coach, he didn't even look like a football coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree. Our second one is Dante Boschettember of the Angels. That's when he started his career. Of course, went on to the Rockies and had a really boy, he had some great years with the Rockies.
Speaker 2: Of course, he's the dad of Bobachett.
Speaker 3: And I remember I was doing a story for Sports Illustrated on Dante Bochette and I was kind of following him around for a little while. So I said, so can I where are you going after the game? You know, and he goes, I'm going to a I'm going to a matchbox car like fair, like a collector's thing, and he says, of matchbox cars, it's a major league player who just got three hits and hit a homer in a major league game and he went to a matchbox card display and like bought a bunch of cars. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is refreshing because you hear stories like Dante Bishet, great Major League baseball player, Keith Hernandez who should be a Hall of Famer, playing stratamatic by himself like these just because they play the game doesn't mean they aren't as nerdy as we are when it comes to certain things.
Speaker 3: He really personalizes these guys. But I remember more in doing that story with Dante Bichett. This is in the middle of his great years with the Rockies. He looked at me and he was dead serious. He goes every day that I come to the ballpark, I wonder, is today the last day that I'll be able to hit in the big leagues. That's how hard the skill is. Jeff, And maybe this was just his defense mechanism to just make sure he showed up and not take this for granted, but he really believed it. Today might be the last day that I'll be able to hit in the big league, so I better make the best of it. Do you really think a great NBA jump shooter ever goes to the arena in his prime and says, boy, I hope I can make it three tonight and nothing against NBA three point shooters. Like nobody, very few people love basketball as much as I do. I understand the science and the philosophy of shooting a basketball. It's like two things in the world I understand. But I'm telling you, the degree of difficulty of baseball is what makes Dante Boschett go to the ballpark and say, is today the last day I'll be able to hit in the big league.
Speaker 1: Who was the player who was on a really, really bad streak and said I didn't think I was ever going to get a hit.
Speaker 3: I was Frank Robinson his second year in the major leagues. Frank Robinson might be the most confident hitter I've ever met in my life. And after one of the great rookie years ever, he told me he was zero for twenty five his second year, and he looked at me and said, I didn't think I was ever going to get another hit, And that's that's real life, right, that's and mister president, you have no idea, right right. And Jeff Sarilla I mentioned earlier. I loved that guy, but he he was a little too hard on himself. And this is a compliment, but he would go four for five in a game, which he did more than once, and he would fret about the out that he made. Instead of saying, got four knocks today, he would fret, like what happened in that fifth at bat? This is the difference. This is why these guys are as great as they are.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I felt bad for Kyle Schwarber when he only hit four homers and and he was facing a position player on the final one and he popped out to the short stop.
Speaker 2: And all he was thinking was how did I not hit that one out of there? He hit four homers? Shover It's okay.
Speaker 3: Old pictures, right, all right? Speaking of real pictures, the last one is walking Andrew Hard one of one of my favorite pictures that I ever covered over the years, pitched in the eighty two World Series. FA He was a funny guy. He famously said once and I used something like this all the time. What makes baseball is you just have no idea what's going to happen next. So he said you could sum up baseball in one word, you never know. So people explained, well, that's actually three words walking. Then he said, you know what I mean, you never know. So back then we used to we used to say baseball you never know in one word. We love it. So so Joaquin Andahar, all right, what's the we talked about Jim Palmer earlier today? What is one of Jim Palmer's great claims to fame? Pitched fourth almost four thousand innings and.
Speaker 2: Never gave up a Grand Slam?
Speaker 3: Right, Joaquin and Owhar pitched over two thousand innings, never gave up a Grand Slam, but he hit one. Wow about that. Gary Peters, another pitcher from way back, pitched almost pitched two thousand innings and never gave up a Grand Slam, but he hit one. I mean, again't, Jeff, how did we explain that only in baseball can that happen?
Speaker 1: You know, Dad, one day, if I continue the Baseball podcast beyond you being here, these statistics about pictures batting for our children are gonna be so foreign it's gonna be I mean, what is the comparison. Dad, There is no comparison in baseball because the game, I mean, it's like live ball, dead ball era right the mound. That's the old maybe the only comparison, Because in thirty forty years from now, when I'm talking to my great grandkids about baseball and I say, oll, you know those guys they used to hit, I have a feeling it's gonna come back.
Speaker 3: I genuinely does, because I wrote a story, you know, five years ago, four years ago, and whenever we gave up pictures hitting and I said, I'm sorry, we're gonna miss this because so many cool things happen in between all the strikeouts and the non competitive at bats that we get from pictures. We get a grand slam from Wasaquin andwhar a grand slam from Gary Peters or oar tolo Cologne home run. I mean those are unforgettable things.
Speaker 1: Or an expertly crafted bunt right when a pitcher would lay down a great sack bunt or even a bunt.
Speaker 2: For a hit, right, it's baseball magic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that stuff's important. Okay, Jeff, speaking of magic, we're on to the end of this podcast. You're from the outer Banks in North Carolina. So I am, I am really curious what you came up with for the team Tim, which we will call the Team Jeff Jeff. No matter how good or bad this is, we need to do it because we teased it. And if you teased it, I'm sure there are people all over the country breathlessly waiting to see what Jeff came up with.
Speaker 1: All right, so, Dad, I've come up with a team Jeff. I gave you the tease that this was all about my life in high school, and you hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 2: You said, that was right. It's a theater team. Now.
Speaker 1: I started off by doing it like things at the theater, in a musical, in a production, and then I quickly pivoted because I couldn't find anything. So then I turned towards the all theater production team. So each one of these players, their names lends itself to a theater, musical or a play. Are you ready the name of the play? So, and I apologize if I mispronounced any Namesdad, hopefully you can help me out with this.
Speaker 3: I will hopefully be able to help you out.
Speaker 2: With a catcher. Bye bye, Bertie Tebbitts.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Bertie Bertie Tebbitts was the one of the he worked for the Rangers. He was a scout for the Rangers. And you started out, yeah really, and I got to know him really well.
Speaker 2: This is a great start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fascinating man who was a really good hitter in his day, managed in the major leagues. And this is incredibly self serving, Jeff, but he came up to me one day. I'm in spring training. I'm wearing shorts, and he looks at me and he goes, you gotta run his legs like that.
Speaker 2: And that's who said that to you. I've heard you say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I was I'm so honored that a guy who is a scout and is looking at body types he could tell he could tell an athlete a million miles away, just looked at me and goes, you have runners had Boston, that you have runner's legs. I was so thrilled. Is look at that.
Speaker 1: Well, the next one's gonna insult you. But there's a reason why I had to do this, and I know you've done it before. In Team Tim, I had to put a third baseman as my first baseman.
Speaker 3: He did play first base. Then it's okay, not very often, but occasionally. I had Robert Brush, who played one game at first base on the All Dental team.
Speaker 1: Well, this guy is a little bit more better known than Robert Brush. Sunday's in the Park with George Brett, because I had him as my third baseman. All right, And I know that's a stretch, but there's a great musical Sundays in the Park.
Speaker 3: We'll ask all the time, why didn't you use this famous player? Well, I needed a first baseman or I needed a third baseman. I'm not trying to come up with the perfect team. I'm just trying to get someone at each position. Okay, second base is Jose Caballero. Cabaret Caballero stretch for sure. All Right, if you grew up like I did, you would remember that Greg Caterret c A D A R. E. T. Left handed pitcher, pitcher in the big leagues for several years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could have used him on my pitching stock right, and he had a second base Yeah I'm dead. Wait until you see this one. Third is Hello Dolly Stark, who played in the early nineteen hundreds. Dolly Stark, Yeah, Dolly Stark, Hello, Dolly.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: What I went for shortstop and the Quizu Dad is a Hall of fame shortstop with a great nickname, the arguably one of the best shortstops to ever play the game known. I mean Wizard, the Wizard, the Wizard of Oz, Ozzy Smith, the Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: Good job, Dad, Okay, we move on to my outfield.
Speaker 1: Jesus Alou right, Jesus christ super star.
Speaker 3: There you go. I love this Christie used Heyesu Salu thanks to Dan Patrick, like twenty times on the podcast the last two years.
Speaker 1: Also in the outfield, Billy Hamilton Hamilton right.
Speaker 2: And then this one's stretch. Greasey Neil are you familiar? He played for the Reds nineteen fifteen to nineteen twenty two.
Speaker 3: Grease gree His name is Grease Neil, Greasey Neil Greasey needs Grease the musical right. And then my grace is the word my pitcher played for the Twins and others twenty nineteen to twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Sean Poppin Mary Poppins Right. A little bit of a stretch, but that is my all theater production team.
Speaker 3: Nat Jeff, I'm very proud of you for coming.
Speaker 2: Up with this year I would love.
Speaker 3: Now, where did you get the names from? Did you just google? Is there a baseball player named Grease? How did you do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, that's I thought of a musical first, and then so I looked for Bertie, right, and then I tagged on Bye Bye Bertie the.
Speaker 2: Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 3: The tebbits makes it.
Speaker 2: I started.
Speaker 1: I started with Ozzy Smith. I said the Wizard, the Wizard of Oz. That makes sense. And then you know, George Brett, Sunday's in the park with George Brett. That came pretty quickly, right, and then Billy Hamilton, I know. So it's so good and Billy Hamilton kind of too, because there's musicals.
Speaker 3: That have right. And on this date in lou Brock broke the unofficial all time stolen base record held by Billy Hamilton. Wow, so there are too, Billy Hamilton. Yes, this one played in the eighteen hundreds, sliding Billy Hamilton. We just don't have nick names, not that anymore yet. But the other Billy Hamilton's play has been active in the big leagues in the last few years. So yeah, on this date it's an unofficial record because they're stolen base back then we're not clear because he really broke the record held by Ty Cobb. And then lou Brock, of course, was passed by Ricky Henderson. Wait to go, whatever Anderson say on base? We had a whole speech planned and what did he say?
Speaker 2: Instead?
Speaker 3: He and lou Brock wrote a speech and Ricky was supposed to pull it out of his back pocket and read the speech. And I love Ricky what a great player he was. He held the base above his head and said today I am the greatest of all time, which he was. And lou Brock, who lou Brock loved Ricky Henderson. They became really good friends. But lou Brock said, Ricky, what about the speech? So what he called him after the game?
Speaker 2: Ricky said, sorry, I forgot amazing.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on the podcast, Kevin Brown, broadcaster for the Baltimore Orioles, Syracuse Graduate.
Speaker 3: And Jeopardy Well soon to be Jeffrey Jeopardy Champion. I think we are going to get him a spot on the Celebrity Jeopardy Show.
Speaker 2: I think we need to do that.
Speaker 1: And his impression of Jim Palmer incredible. If you missed our interview with Jim Palmer, you can look it up on the feed because it's gonna it's gonna help you even more if you don't know Jim Palmer's isms, right, and we're just gonna tease.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a quark gin in it, and it's a name, quark Gin that is impossible to believe that Kevin Brown and I share. There's a name, it's like a quirk Gin, but it's it has nothing to do with baseball except for both of us are in the game.
Speaker 2: So perfect.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening, and thank you again for being a part of our family.