Speaker 1: Pushkin Hey, Lost Tills listeners, it's Dana. I wanted to let you know that you can hear the entire new season of Lost Hill's ad free, along with other great binge listens by becoming a Pushkin Plus subscriber. Find Pushkin Plus on the Lost Hills Show page in Apple Podcasts, or at pushkin dot fm, slash Plus.
Speaker 2: Mickey was highly intelligent, well read, and he didn't give a fuck, and he saw that what the future was going to bring to surfing, and so he acted accordingly, and he wouldn't capitulate.
Speaker 1: This is Chris molloy. He's a documentary filmmaker who moved to Hawaii to be a professional big wave surfer in the nineties. Chris is a big fan of Mickey Dora.
Speaker 2: He was like, you know what, I can get paid to surf, But he said, I'm going to take credit cards and checks and go around the world and surf waves that nobody knows about. And he said, God damn it. He goes, if they gave you this plastic card and you could just go get stuff for free, what the fuck would you do.
Speaker 1: I'm visiting Chris at his sprawling ranch on California's Central Coast, where he and his wife are raising three kids on one hundred acres. He's part of that Kelly Slater generation of surfers who grew up on Mickey Dora Lore. Mickey's status as an iconoclast spoke to them.
Speaker 2: He was very aware of the big public and governmental systems and was smart enough to go, Hey, I'm going to do it my way and you guys can pretty much fuck off. That was Mickey, you know what I mean, and he did it with style.
Speaker 1: Two years before Mickey died, Chris got to spend a couple of weeks with him in Chile surfing.
Speaker 2: I was very very focused when I was with him, just taking it in because I knew I knew I was in a special space.
Speaker 1: So Mickey talked a lot on the trip and Chris was listening, but he was also thinking about posterity, and so secretly at first, because Mickey was so paranoid, he started recording him. As Chris is telling me this, he hands me a mini disc.
Speaker 2: So this is a recording that you guys can take if you want. That I did with him. So this is very unjournalistic, but I'm not a journalist, so I can do whatever the fuck I want. He didn't know I was recording, and I don't think there's anything good in there, honestly, Like I listened to it once and it's horrible. Sound testing Testing one, two three, Avocado Balloon.
Speaker 1: There are very few recordings of Mickey Dora. He rarely sat for interviews, and when he did, they tended to be incredibly contrived, not to mention, full of lies. But this tape is different. It captures the final chapter of Mickey's life. He was sixty five and he knew he was falling apart.
Speaker 3: People do what they want. They have to live with their conscience. I want to live the way and I want to live.
Speaker 4: It's hard to do and it's an experiment, but I don't want anyone to live the way. I wanted to serve like everybody else. I want to do anything like anyone outside just struggle in my life what suitable for me.
Speaker 1: After years of seemingly perpetual youth, Mickey looked his age. A picture from around this time shows him with a silvery goatee, wearing some kind of cravat, a soft twinkle in his eye, like the most interesting man in the world. If he was left on the beach for a week. The cancer that would kill him was most likely already eating him away. Mickey had been on the outside for so long, in exile, in prison, forsaken and the surf world, the whole world had moved on. He'd lost his kingdom and most of his fawning fans. His fame was underground, deep underground. Did the new wild kids of Surf Rider even know who Mickey Door was. Mickey always said he hated attention, but he craved relevance. He wanted to be wanted. The one thing Mickey hadn't lost was his legendary charm. So when he met Chris molloy and Kelly Slater, two of the surf world's biggest celebrities, he turned it on. Mickey was ready for his last act. I'm Dana Goodyear and this is Lost Hills, episode eleven, Writing on the Wall. Hi, Kelly, how good?
Speaker 3: How are you doing good?
Speaker 1: I'm on a zoom with Kelly Slater.
Speaker 5: You guys see me? No, no cameraw oh I didn't.
Speaker 6: Realize I never had an on cool?
Speaker 5: Okay great.
Speaker 1: He's at home on the north shore of O Wahoo and when the camera turns on his zoom. Background's got real Hawaii vibes, whitewashed wooden walls, a ceiling fan, and surfboards stashed in the roof beams.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to start by asking you a question that you probably haven't been asked in twenty five years, which is who are you and what do you do?
Speaker 6: Funny enough, I get asked that a lot to set up interviews. But I'm Kelly Slater. I'm a professional surfer. I have been for I've actually been a professional for thirty thirty three years now and I'm still competing full time. I'm a father. I do a little bit of business here and there, so that's kind of my thing.
Speaker 1: It's taken a while to schedule this call because Kelly is busy right now.
Speaker 6: I'm actually just I'm in a process of packing and kind of closing up my house for the winter because I'm going to Portugal tomorrow for a competition.
Speaker 1: It's March, and Kelly's on the World Tour and he's hoping to qualify for the Olympics.
Speaker 6: The results from the World Tour feed into the Olympics, so it's really essentially like a year long Olympic trials and I need to make the top two from the US and the men's in order to make the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Kelly Slater is fifty two years old and the winningest pro surfer of all time. He just barely missed making the US team for surfings first Olympics in Tokyo in twenty twenty one. He really wants to make it in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: This would be my one and probably only Olympics that I would ever do.
Speaker 1: Kelly Slater met Mickey in the late nineties, right in the middle of a streak in which Kelly won the world title five years in a row. Mickey was spending time in Jeffrey's Bay, South Africa, another perfect rite, another stand in for Malibu. After he was released from prison, Mickey kind of alternated between Gettorie, his spot in France, and Jay Bay. His constant companion was a small King Charles Spaniel named Scooter Boy after a hot dogging Hawaiian surfer. Scooter Boy ate at the table from a plate. Mickey was surviving on the kindness of others and the fumes of his legend. The surf apparel company Quicksilver had come to Mickey's rescue when he got out of prison and appeared destitute, they paid him a monthly stipe, got him a small apartment, and gave him a tab at a local restaurant. In return, he agreed to be essentially their mascot, showing up at parties and attending surf events. It was more or less the same gig Gidget has at Dukes in Malibu.
Speaker 6: Over the years. I've told a few of the stories that I know where Mickey did like rip people off and treated people kind of badly, you know, And I don't say those stories to like tarnish his image or anything like that. To me, it was a defining part of his personality and who he was, that he was so paranoid and untrusting of other people. That it was maybe because of his own skeletons, but you know, he had all these tricks he would pull, and people who knew him well would get ahead of his tricks.
Speaker 1: Though Mickey was too scared after prison to pull any serious scams, he was still seemingly incapable of paying for his own meal.
Speaker 6: One thing that comes mind is he lived in France for a long time and he would go to dinner with people there, and he always had this trick where he'd show up at dinner with one hundred dollar US bill. And at the time, it was French Francs, and you couldn't just readily exchange a hundred dollars bill at any restaurant, and so when the bill would call me, go oh, all I have was one hundred dollars bill. And so my friend's wife caught onto it. She goes, oh, I know he's gonna pull that trick on us again this dinner. So she brought enough money to exchange his one hundred dollars bill in Frank's at dinner, and as soon as he picked it up, when I have one hundred dollars bill, she grabbed it out of his hand and goes, I got changed for that.
Speaker 1: Kelly was charmed by Mickey. It was incredible to meet someone who had been there back at the birth of California surfing. His little brother was a big Mickey Dora fan. So the first time he met Mickey, Kelly asked if he would sign a picture for his brother, and he just like.
Speaker 7: Went, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 6: No, Kelly, I really like you. He seemed like a great guy. But I can't do that, and I said, why not, you can like personalize it to my little brother. You know, I'd probably signed a thousand autographs at any particular event, and Mickey just said, no, you know, these Japanese think that my autograph's worth five thousand dollars and I can't change that. I can't let him down. And what he meant by that was that every surfboard that he signed, him and Greg Noel had a surfboard deal together and they would sell these boards in Japan and they would sell for about five thousand dollars. So he equated his signature to being worth about five thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: I guess Mickey's weirdness about signing, about giving any part of himself away was a motif Kelly noticed. It might have been the fact that in the forged passport case, the FBI forced Mickey to submit hundreds of handwriting samples. They were never able to get a match, but maybe Mickey wasn't taking any chances. Sometime later, Kelly ran into Mickey in France. Kelly was sponsored by Quicksilver. He'd been invited to play a round of golf with Mickey, the Quicksilver mascot and a couple of executives. At the end of the round, Mickey and Kelly sat down for a drink and Bruce Raymond, who ran Quicksilver International, passed around the scorecard for everyone to sign, and.
Speaker 6: Mickey gets up and goes to the bathroom. And I've already told you this story about Mickey's autograph, but the problem is that Bruce is basically his boss and the oneer determines whether he gets a paycheck every month, and he gets his travel and all that stuff. So I said, you know, Mickey's not going to sign this, Bruce, and he goes, he'll sign it, and I said, no, he won't sign it. I'm telling you this will be a fight. He goes, just put it in front of his seat and when he gets back, he'll sign the scorecard. And so after about he gets back and he sits there for about five or ten minutes and he hasn't signed it yet, and Bruce finally goes, Hey, Mickey signed the scorecard, and Mickey goes, he just totally freaked out here, Who's is this, Who's going to where's this going? I'm no, I don't sign things. And Bruce real calmly goes Mickey signed the score card, and he goes, well, where's this going to go? Who's keeping this? And Bruce goes, don't worry, Mickey, it's mine. I'll keep it. All gentlemen signed their scorecards. You have to sign your scorecard.
Speaker 1: Mickey agreed reluctantly.
Speaker 6: And Bruce to this day has that scorecard framed on his wall at home. He put it in a box frame behind glass and I told him, I said, Bruce, if you ever pass away before me, I want that to go into my house.
Speaker 1: During the golf game in France, Kelly had noticed that Mickey's clubs were badly out of date.
Speaker 6: After we had our drinks and he'd signed the scorecard, and we're walking to our car and I said, Mickey, you know you should probably get a new set of golf clubs. I go, those things are like thirty years old. You want to get a new set. And he goes, what do you mean how am I going to get a new set? And I said, I'll get you a set of clubs. And he goes, well, if you're not going to get me a set of clubs, I need to make other plans. You need to let me know right now, because I need to make some other plans. And I said, Mickey, you haven't made plans of twenty five years. I don't think you're worried about how long this is going to take. I said, don't worry. I'll send you a set of golf club and he goes, well, how long is it.
Speaker 8: Kind of taken?
Speaker 6: But I said, I don't know. I got a friend at a golf company and I'll order them and i'll send him over here to you, and I think I flew to California and within a few days I got a fax from him. That was when we had faxes in the late nineties, and it said, you know, if the same thing, Kelly, if you're not going to be able to get this set of golf clubs, you're gonna have to let me know because I need to make other plants, the same exact thing he had told me. And I said, Mickey, I don't want to hear from you again until you get your golf clubs.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 6: A month or so later, I got the clubs and I sent him to him, and then he sent me this fax and it said, Kelly, thank you, thank you, thank you. These King Kobra Golf clubs have changed my life. Signed to Mickey Dora. I had a really bad facts, but I saved the facts and I have his signature and stuff. But I'm almost positive that that fact has faded to nothing now.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that if you find your facts and the signal has vanished, that would be like a perfect Mickey from the Grave moment.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Really, yeah, he'd be like, I got you, I got you.
Speaker 1: Mickey's greatest accomplishment, in the eyes of many of his admirers, is that he managed to orient his life entirely around surfing. He was free of the obligations that anchor most of us to the shore. He didn't let anything or anyone get in the way of his wave.
Speaker 6: He told me, he goes, Kelly, I've almost made it, and I said, what, he goes, I'm going to be whatever age, sixty two years old, sixty three years old next year, and I've never worked a day in my life. And that was success to him, was never working. I think that was very sincere, you know, like he felt that was his accomplishment, that was his legacy. I got all the way through life without ever having to work a day of my life. He worked harder than he probably would have had he just had a job, I.
Speaker 10: Mean Chili on the coastline in a little town called Pici Limo.
Speaker 5: I'm in a little one bedroom hotel room. It's Mickey Dora.
Speaker 1: That's Chris molloy, the former pro surfer and documentarian. It's the year two thousand. Mickey has just left the room to run an errand, and Chris has pulled out his mini disc recorder.
Speaker 5: It's been an interesting stay with Mick.
Speaker 10: I feel like after a few days now, I can ask him anything I want and he likes to talk about it, and she's offended.
Speaker 5: He just skips it and keeps going, doesn't get mad. So far. We'll see I set the recorder up and he seems to ignore it. Anwer Micky Dora.
Speaker 2: I was living in Hawaii at the time, and my friend he called me and then he said, hey, Mickey, door's in town. I said, and he goes, I think, you know, YouTube should get together, and I'm like, yeah, that will never happen.
Speaker 1: At his ranch on the Central Coast, Chris is describing how he ended up traveling to Chile with Mickey Dora. It was one of the last great adventures of Mickey's life.
Speaker 2: At the time. I was living with my two brothers on the North Shore right near pipeline. And I get a phone call. And so this is when we just had phone a phone on the wall, right, there's no cell phones and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: So I pick up the phone.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 2: He goes, who's this. That's rude, like you just called me if I didn't say that. And I'm like, this is Chris. Who's this? And he goes, Mick.
Speaker 3: So I go.
Speaker 2: Mick. Who He goes, it's Mick. And so now I don't know who it is, and he goes, I heard you're going south.
Speaker 1: Chris was planning a trip to Antarctica to go surfing, the kind of crazy surf odyssey that Mickey was famous for.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so uh, he goes, well, I'm going to Chili and I had never been to Chili, and he goes, you want to go? And I didn't.
Speaker 3: Still, I was like, I don't know who this is.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, yeah, no, I'm not stopping in Chili, man, I'm going from Lima to Ushiwaia or wherever we're you know, my flight plan was. He goes, okay, bye, click, and then I'm like kind of like making dinner. I go, that was fucking Mickey Dora.
Speaker 3: Ohle shit.
Speaker 2: And so back then you could do the Star sixty nine. So call I go chick jink jink Mickey. Yeah, Hey, when do you want to fly? And so I changed my whole flight plan.
Speaker 1: Chris was born in nineteen seventy one. His generation of surfers grew up in the era of established surf brands, competitions, and an official professional surf league. He grew up and started surfing and the Dora Lives era when Mickey had vanished from Malibu, but traces of him lingered in the writing on the wall. Chris grew up on a farm in Ohi, California, about an hour from Malibu. He'd heard the stories from his dad, who knew Mickey back in the fifties.
Speaker 2: My dad had served with them. I always loved surfing history, so I was aware of the Dark Knight. And so it's somebody you thought you'd never meet because he was so elusive, you know, he was so elusive.
Speaker 3: That was sort of if.
Speaker 2: There's an adjective that might be the most appropriate for meekless Dora is how elusive he was.
Speaker 1: When Chris told his dad that he was going surfing in Chile with Mickey Dora. His dad was not too thrilled.
Speaker 2: Anybody that knew him didn't miss him.
Speaker 1: Chris and Mickey agreed to meet at Lax and head south from there. But first Mickey had a little job for Chris. Mickey was going to send a surfboard to California. He wanted Chris to pick it up and bring it to the airport.
Speaker 2: And I said, of course, you know, of course, and and my dad said, keep your fucking wallet in your front pocket. Then he took the border out of the box and he held it up. It was nighttime. He held it up to his headlights because he was convinced that Mickey had like put contraband in the surfboard. He was like, there's no way that this is on the up and up.
Speaker 1: Chris understood his role. Mickey had made it clear. Mickey was sixty five years old and getting weaker. Chris was there to carry his stuff like a caddy.
Speaker 2: So we land in Santiago and I'm like, okay, this is your trip, you know, and You're I'm coming at your behs.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 2: I've never been a chip. I don't even know if there's waves here. I don't know anything. And we land, I load all his shit. Well, he's just standing there and the cab drivers like, Okay, where are we going? And he goes, well, take us to the take us to the beach. And the guy's like, it's a big country, like you know in Spanish, and he's.
Speaker 3: Like, just just take us to the ocean.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I'm fucked, Like I don't even know what I don't even know where we're going.
Speaker 1: The cab driver took them four hours to pitch a lemu, a surf spot on the coast.
Speaker 2: Then we get to the first hotel, haul all of my shit in there, haul all of his shit in there. There's no hot water because we're not staying here, and I'm like, yes we are. I'm like, we just flew all night. I'm not, no, we're moving. So I got everything out, freaking dragged it through the streets, found another hotel, and yeah, he was a bit of a prince.
Speaker 1: Mickey was high maintenance, but for Chris it was worth it. He couldn't believe he was traveling and surfing with the Mickey Dora, not just Prince the Dark Prince we had so.
Speaker 2: Much like solitude, you know, And this is a short period of time, but I was just locked on at all times. We were in a hotel room and I had been I was tired of listening to him talk, and I wanted to go sleep, but I don't want to miss anything. I didn't want, so I put on my little mini disk.
Speaker 3: It's hard to get vitamins in France, very difficult, is it. I can't get anything of that. That's why you must see them my nutcase. No, I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't think in that case at all.
Speaker 3: I just try to ward off any type of room. Louis following rics from your movie to Fiji. And if I got sick, man, I'm screwed.
Speaker 1: It was an intimate experience being with Mickey like that, one on one for two weeks.
Speaker 3: Well you're doing well.
Speaker 7: I can't believe you're sifting fire years old.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it either. I don't know what happened. It was like that. It was fun.
Speaker 4: See, yeah, it's not the end.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid silver.
Speaker 1: In spite of his age and signs of infirmity, Mickey was still an unbelievable surfer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we happened upon some incredible surf. There was this left and it went from here to that ridgeline right there. I'm not kidding. He gets us way from the top all the way through and it's a left and I'm at the bottom because I got the way before. And he kicks out and I'm like, Mick, we did it, and he goes, I fucking hate left. You just got the most beautiful wave I've ever seen. And he's like, we got to find it right. So, and that sums Mickey Dora up.
Speaker 1: The whole time they were together, Chris avoided talking about his surf career. He'd read Mickey's rants about commercialization. He didn't want Mickey to know he was a sellout a pro, so.
Speaker 2: I hid the fact that I was a pro surfer from him. Okay, he didn't know that I was a pro serfer. Any loathed pro servers, even though he was the prototype of a pro surfing right.
Speaker 1: But Chris delicately inquired about the surf industry and what Mickey thought about other pros.
Speaker 9: I played tennis golf with these guys, Slater and Rabbit. You know, they played with tennis and real good golf minutes. But I don't get in involved with their lives. I just you know, as a exercise.
Speaker 3: And they're really decent to be no problem.
Speaker 8: I mean I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't tell them, you know how they should be relaxing, and they don't tell me. So I mean it's let them live, no big deal. But I mean I won't. I would never do what they do. It's a whole different way of looking at me. Who am I to say?
Speaker 7: I think it's more like the industry that the businessmen, that everyone in the sport, not the surfers. The surfers are just opportunity to say, just take what's given to them.
Speaker 11: You can't you relax? How can you do anything with caravans or camera people and going everywhere you go and you have no privacy nothing. I don't conserve that lifestyle ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Chris kept his secret for two weeks, the whole time they were together. But after Chris had left Jile, Mickey discovered the truth at a local restaurant.
Speaker 2: And there was there there's this poster of me surfing the pipeline, and Mickey goes, wat's that And apparently he tore it off the wall and threw it. I pretended like it was on fire, and it was like I thought I knew who that kid was. I felt so bad and I'm like, in the same breadth though, I'm like, fuck you, Mickey, Like you made money surfing. I made money surfing and you made money and Chesthai Malibu, the wave that you got pissed off was like twenty foot pipeline.
Speaker 3: So what do you got?
Speaker 2: What shit are you talking?
Speaker 1: Mickey, Chris said was part of surfing's original sin.
Speaker 2: He was complicit in what occurred at Malibou hugely. I was able to take money from the man, no problem. I did the dance. I was a dancing bear. I was Otherwise I was going to be driving a bulldozer for my dad. So it's like if I can put on like a bright singlet and go, you know, do the deal, and I'll get paid for it. Like I I did what I did, I got work. And just like when I sort of critique modern surfing and what it's become, I have to accept my own complicity and it, you know, because we made surf films and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: There was a kind of an endearing moment where I was leaving to head to Antarctica and I said, all right, Mick, you know it meant a lot to me, you know. And I'm heading out and he goes, I'm going to go find that, right, all right, buy new swalks away.
Speaker 1: So that was it. No sentimental moment, no nothing.
Speaker 2: And then we're getting the track and I'm going to the bus station and all of a sudden, I hear this on the side of the truck. I would go where it's Mick.
Speaker 1: Mickey made up some excuse to join Chris on the drive, but Chris didn't believe it. He could tell that Mickey wasn't ready to say goodbye.
Speaker 5: Might have to take these in case we lose each other. Try it out. Just press the side, Yeah, press the side and talk.
Speaker 3: Oh why why it's not working?
Speaker 5: Turn your ears on. Oh you're not pushing there.
Speaker 2: You go.
Speaker 3: Over and out.
Speaker 9: Jerry's at three o'clock, I am like coming in loud and clear.
Speaker 5: Yes you are, sir.
Speaker 12: I think I'm gonna need backup. Sending back up at five o'clock, candle a thing for you. I haven't got my welfare trick yet.
Speaker 3: How do you turn him up?
Speaker 1: Chris and Mickey stayed in touch after the trip. They even had dinner in Santa Barbara, near Mickey's dad's house. This must have been pretty soon before Mickey died. Chris has a story about the dinner. I've heard a lot of Mickey Dora stories by now, but this one is my favorite.
Speaker 2: Mickey had told me I'm going to find her right in Chile when I left. But the way the Southern Hemisphere works, all the swell comes this, it's all lefts. There's a couple rights, but it's all lefts.
Speaker 1: Remember Mickey had spurned that beautiful wave he and Chris surfed in Chile because it was a left and Mickey preferred to go right.
Speaker 2: So we go to dinner and I took my brother Keith with me. And my brother we look like twins. So Keith has used the restaurant and he goes, who is that? Who's that guy? It's my fucking brother. And then he pulls out a slide and he goes, I found the right. I found the right, and he's making sure to do it before my brother gets back. And he holds up this slide and it's a left that he turned the slide backwards, like it's clearly backwards, and he's like, I found it, like kind of like I missed out on it, you know, and then my brother comes back and he's like this stuffs it in his fucking.
Speaker 1: For Chris, Mickey's surfing style is seductive, but it's his attitude towards surfing that he admires most. Mickey represented the rebel soul of surfing. Of course, he wanted to plug into that.
Speaker 2: My favorite surfers are the guys that are doing amazing things in a subtle way. But really the thing about Mick that is the most lasting it was fuck society. It was fuck everybody. I'm going to do it whatever I want, whenever I want, the way I want, and that like that really, you know, if we go into the sixties, seventies and even early eighties, you know, and that carried on into punk rock and skating and and roll and all that, you know, it was fuck everybody, like I'm not going to do it your way. I'm going to do it my way, you know, And it doesn't It's not just in the water, it's on land. That's the most lasting signature of Mickey Dora to me do it my way.
Speaker 1: Listening to Chris, I think he identifies with Mickey's disappointment too, that the California of old is disappearing.
Speaker 2: The ocean was a gift to him, as it is for all of us, you know. I mean, he talked to me about like riding horses up into the canyon and catching trout to beach blanket bingo. And he watched La turn into an absolute shit show and it pissed him off to no end, as it should have. He watched the La River turn into concrete and he said, fuck y'all, I'm not cool with this.
Speaker 1: There was one more story Chris wanted to tell me. This one had stayed with him because it was so mysterious and painful and unresolved, and it was about the person in Mickey's family circle. You almost never hear about Ramona, his mom, who Mickey seemed to worship as a little boy and who had basically abandoned him.
Speaker 2: One night, We're in this cabin where we were gifted a place to say. I was staying on the couch and he got the bedroom like there was a little bedroom.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 2: Besmirching his mother pretty heavily and saying how I never got anything from her and that she didn't take care of him, and I just listened, and that next morning I wanted to go surfing and he wasn't up, and I was like, oh, that's kind of curious. So I went up and he was laying there awake, and there was a picture of his mother with two candles on each side.
Speaker 1: Did you know if she was already dead at that point?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 5: She was long dead, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it was like that wasn't for show. He didn't know I was going to climb the ladder up to his little loft. It showed me that like he truly was, like when he speaks in these sort of code and is here nor there and then back again, like he really that really was him. It wasn't all show, is my point. I've been trying to figure that out since two thousand. I don't know what the hell that worked out. You know, he didn't say anything super mean spirited, but it was like, my mom didn't take care of me, you know, she basically you know, didn't didn't you know, just turned me out, really, you know, And yeah, I've never I really thought a lot about that, and I'm like, wow, like that psychologically, like what it meant is that he he was maybe venting because he was hurt by that, you know, and wishes things would have been different. Maybe.
Speaker 1: After the Chili trip, Mickey's health declined. He got a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. In November two thousand and one, his patrons Quicksilver Bottom a round trip ticket back to California, first class. The return portion was just a kindness. Everyone knew Mickey was leaving France for good. Miklosch was still alive. He lived another twenty years to the age of one hundred and seven. So from France, Mickey went to Montecito and spent his last days at his father's house, lying naked in the sun. He died in early January two thousand and two. He never went back to the beach that made him famous. But on the day he died, someone painted the wall at Malibu Dora Lives. But Mickey still had a few tricks up his sleeve.
Speaker 13: We found out after he died that he had four hundred thousand dollars in US was bank acount out, but he didn't go afterwards. He was living like a poor man, and he, you know, went from hand to mouth and acted like a poor person.
Speaker 1: That's Bob Simpson, the lawyer who knew Mickey at the end of his life. Mickey for years had pretended to be destitute. That turned out to be another ruse in a long line of ruses.
Speaker 8: And the thing that's so strange about the whole Mickey thing, he didn't have to do any of it. It was all unnecessary.
Speaker 1: This is Denny Auburg, the surfer who knew Mickey way back in the fifties in Malibu.
Speaker 8: Any dark thing that he did, he could have done it in another way. His dad had money. He didn't have to do it, you know. But that's that thing, that little quirk where he just kind of like he just wanted to see if he could get away with it. I don't know. I don't I'm not a psychologist, but like a lot of people to struck, you know.
Speaker 1: Next time on Lost Hills, what Mickey left behind.
Speaker 14: There are sixty four letters from all over the world with addresses and stamps.
Speaker 3: Wow, this is a dance.
Speaker 14: Yeah. I had to let them sit for a couple of weeks before I actually would open them to get I'm head right, you know, to be sure I was ready to read some of this stuff.
Speaker 1: That's next In the final episode of the Dark Prince a nasty piece of work. Lost Tills is written and reported by me Dana Goodyear. It's created by me and Ben Adair and produced by Western Sound and Pushkin Industries. Subscribe to Pushkin Plus and you can binge the entire season right now ad free. Find Pushkin Plus on the Lost Tail show page in Apple Podcasts, or at pushkin dot fm slash plus