Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys headquarters at the Star Infrasco.
Speaker 2: And now your host, Zach Wolchuck.
Speaker 3: That is Zach Walchuck. He's over there.
Speaker 4: He's doing a great job. He's on the show today, but so am I. And we're good to go because today we are forty four days away from the NFL Draft in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It is Tuesday, March eleventh. Welcome into the Draft Show, presented by Miller Light, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: We have Brian brought us.
Speaker 4: We have Tommy Yarish, Nick Harris with Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans and are famed Zach Walchuck here as well.
Speaker 3: Get the trim on the beard.
Speaker 5: You're looking great, did I was like, gosh, I gotta try and keep up with kaf.
Speaker 2: You're growing that beard nicely as well.
Speaker 4: Grew it out before I did, so I did. I did, but I needed to get it short lines the dad beard ever since I had three kids. Hey, the strength is real, bro, It's true, It's true. I'm trying to just keep up with brought us the dad's strength he's had for forty years now, not forty.
Speaker 3: He's locked in at the time, it's like thirty seconds, you got de you only got this show goes really fast.
Speaker 2: He just gets trust here. By the day you.
Speaker 3: Said, we've got forty days, what do you talk about it? Forty four forty four days? Forty four days?
Speaker 2: And of course with Thomas amount of days.
Speaker 4: Exactly with a little bit of free agency talk here of the last couple of days as well. I mean, this is starting to ramp up quickly. And of course everybody's looking at these free agents. They're looking at the signings and the non signings and the possible trade options. But we're all kind of looking at it at how the hell is this going to affect the NFL Draft whenever it comes around in April.
Speaker 3: So brought us?
Speaker 4: I mean, what type of what is this time like from a scouting standpoint, when you're looking across the board and you're saying, Okay, we don't have this guy anymore, right, but we have this guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know you kind of knew going into the draft who you were probably going to have and who you weren't going to have because you had the ideas of, like, okay, you have these meetings before actually free agents starts, and so you're thinking, like, Okay, this is how our team is going to be. I think right now what you're seeing is a little bit of an influence from the coaching staff, the new coaching staff. You know, if you look at some of the uh, I know that we're gonna I don't know, we allowed to talk about what happened with the Jets today with that signing with Okay, Okay, I didn't got Yeah, you know, there's a there's some connections there, and so you know that's something that you kind of look at. You you had an idea of really probably from Indianapolis, what it was going to take to to keep Jordan Lewis, to keep Golst and things like that. So you kind of know going into okay, we're probably not going to have those positions. Do we need to address these other positions. I find it interesting with the depth of the defensive tackle draft that the way that they've they've they've you know, and I know signing Osa was important to him, and you know, and but also though with the Solomon Thomas one, you know again, are they looking for depth at the position? It is to me, is you know, you're you're taking money and you're putting it towards uh, you know, you're putting it towards a defensive line position where it is in the draft, and maybe they don't want to sit there and double dip, like we've talked about in some positions, I would have double dipped at tackle out of double dip probably at running back too. But I think that, like I say, they had an idea going in who they were going to lose, and then now you kind of try and make up some some positions there. Signing the guard as well, Robert Jones is a is another thing that probably uh you know, is uh they looked at as a depth piece as well.
Speaker 6: How about instead of double dipping at running back and defensive tackle. I can entertain you on triple dipping at cornerback triple I would.
Speaker 3: I would, I would absolutely, Yeah, I think the cornerback I you know that to me, there's there's I know, you guys boards probably the same as mine in the way of the number of players you've seen, Uh, you know, there's clearly some guys that could play on the outside and play inside as well. Yeah, you know, replacing Jordan Lewis. You know, it's not impossible here. There's some really good players in this draft. You can truly address that with.
Speaker 4: It is really interesting that you do bring up the double dip conversation, because if we were to have this show last week and ask the question of what position is most likely to see a double dip on, we probably would have all said defensive tackle, running back, and offensive line, and those are where they've spent the money initially, right off the jump, Does that deter you from making a premium pick in any of those positions?
Speaker 3: I certainly don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think they can make a premium pick at all three of those positions first, second, and third round. And I still think i'd be okay even with the signing of Javonte Williams and Robert Jones and Solomon Thomas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that. I don't think any of this. I mean, look at guard. Maybe they're not going to go guard in the first round.
Speaker 5: Think they're be kind of telling us that at the combine, And that's something that we kicked around as well. They liked a lot of the guys. They wanted to see some second year jumps, certainly from the rookies. You know, Hoffman they bring back in the fold, let him compete. Maybe Jones and him are competing for that right guard spot. So I don't know that. Hey, maybe they do love a Tyler Booker out of Alabama. Maybe he is in play, but that's probably not an area that I envisioned they'd go now in the first round. After what they've done. I still think defensive tackle could be in play personally. I mean, Salomon Thomas is a rotational depths right, He's not a guy that was starting with the New York Jets. So they needed somebody that they could also count on behind Mazie, behind Osa. I mean, there's still a ton of depth options end that they could look at.
Speaker 3: Corner.
Speaker 5: I still think very much in play. It was already a need for them. I mean, they were hoping probably to get Jordan Lewis back. I'm sure he was number two on their priority list as soon as they got done with Osi, let's pivot, let's try and get Jordan Lewis. Congratulations to him on the big contract that he got. But I'm sure fans now are like, oh my gosh blinking light. I think we've all been sitting here, like man corner, that's definitely a spot with the digs injury that you need to focus on.
Speaker 2: I think everything is still in play.
Speaker 3: I can even signing Lewis, you would have probably gone.
Speaker 2: Corner absolutely right. Is how long would that have deally have been?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Just a year or two?
Speaker 5: And you've got health issues with a lot I mean, Josh Butler went down last year, so the.
Speaker 4: Whole cornerback groom went down at some.
Speaker 5: Point, and then linebacker, right, I mean, I know that they've put some resources in overshown lea foul and both of them look like they're going to be good players, but you don't know when you're gonna have to marveyn overshown for this year. Dimone Clark's a guy. Is he necessarily going to be on the Ross draft or training camp? I don't know for sure? Can you rely on him? So linebacker's definitely in play. I mean, I don't think there's a single position that you're looking at outside of maybe safety that they're like, we've got some quality depth here.
Speaker 2: No, I would agree with that.
Speaker 8: I think when you look at the defensive line with the Solomon Thomas signing. He with Chauncey Golson expected to go to the New York Times, that was reported last night. I think that he's kind of the new Chauncey Golson just in terms of he can play defensive tackling and play in line, and he can play off the edge too, and that's what kind of what he's.
Speaker 2: Been used over the course of his career.
Speaker 8: You know, he Copel High school graduate, so he's coming back to dall He's born in Chicago, but he's coming back to Dallas.
Speaker 2: So that's an interesting time of this too.
Speaker 5: With Connor Williams and Hell at the same time, I think they were together there there you go.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 8: And then two, when you look at his time with Aaron White, Connon he had the most sacks of his entire career when he was working with the New York Jets. He had nine career sacks over the course of three years. So you know, this is the these three signings in Solomon Tom or excuse me, term agreements in Solomon Thomas, Robert Jones, and Javonte Williams. I completely agree with you guys that it's not you know, these guys aren't going to be guys who you want starting or playing a majority of your snaps. These are death pieces that you want to use to compliment in the draft, because even Jerry Jones told us the other day that he's not looking to fill void's in free agency. They're looking to build through the draft, and that's going to continue to be the case. But the question then is my biggest question is what do you do at twelve because there's so many different things in terms of Okay, now that you've got Javonte Williams in the boat, do you feel like you can get a running back later on in the later rounds that can compliment him, or are you still willing to pick an Ashton genty if he's there for you is wide receiver, you know, more of an Eater's wide receiver. Remove that they kind of fill or address here in the next coming days. I think one name that we're not talking about as much as we should at twelve is Mikel Williams out of Georgia. I feel like that's very much in play the defensive end out of Georgia. I think that he had a good combine and he had a great meeting with the Cowboys. Yeah, I think that's one guy that they like a lot.
Speaker 3: I think you could throw Williams into that mix.
Speaker 4: You could throw maybe some of those corners that we've mentioned before into that mix as well. Do you feel like edge rusher because they haven't addressed that either. You feel like ed rusher is still a position they could possibly hit that high in the draft and feel comfortable leaving those other positions to the side.
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially if DeMarcus Lawrence is not back into the fold. See mike Keil Williams being firing up the highlights here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean he's good in the run game. He's a big, physical guy. He could seal the edge in the run game, and he could also get after the pass or two. I feel like it would be a healthy transition from you know, the bigger set run defense dominant DeMarcus Lawrence. If you're trying to go young at that position, it's tough to find a better guy than MIKEL Williams. That kind of mirrors what DeMarcus Lawrence can do from a run game perspective and a password's perspective. Now, he's not gonna be DeMarcus Lawrence. Date one I'm not saying that, yeah, but I think this is a guy you could develop into that type of type of talent for sure.
Speaker 3: Is twelve to too rich for a guy that just really plays the run, well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's that's part of the question too. Maybe it's a trade back possibility. But if it's if you're asking me and hey, you're at twelve and you can find a tango partner and you take this guy with a few of these guys that we've talked about throughout the course of the year off the board, I wouldn't be I wouldn't be upset at it.
Speaker 3: If you told me that Simmons from Ohio State, the tackle was there and I'm hearing all clean now about that knee with the pinella stuff. Talked to a couple of different teams about him. Probably not going to have him for the OTAs, but you're going to have him for training camp. If you gave me a choice between Simmons and mike L Williams there, I take the tackle all day on that one. Just me personally.
Speaker 2: I've got his.
Speaker 6: Eyes personally on Simmons, but I understand the affinity there.
Speaker 3: And spending your guy you're high on then would you be Campbell or Bank?
Speaker 6: Campbell, Banks? Those those are the first round guys. Aside from that, it's it's there's a tier.
Speaker 3: Jonk Okay, but you would take a tackle then over Williams or would you take Williams over one of these tackles?
Speaker 6: Well, factoring in that I have both of them at guard, I would probably I would probably, Uh, you're you're.
Speaker 3: Asking me, I'm asking you which one would it would? Okay? Yeah? Do you feel strongly enough about Campbell and Banks as guards? Take over Williams.
Speaker 6: If Campbell's on the board, I'm taking Campbell, I have. The more I watch from Campbell, the more I like, especially from the twenty twenty three tape. But if if Banks is there, I'm taking Williams.
Speaker 4: See I'm the opposite. I would take Banks over Williams. But I would take Williams over Campbell. In that regards Simmons.
Speaker 5: Over both camp I think Simmons is the best offensive tackle in the class.
Speaker 2: Personally, sure, I would go Banks over Williams. We know you're going.
Speaker 3: We can't hate on him. Texas was a really good team.
Speaker 4: No, I think John barn is a conversation at twelve two and we're not talking about it. I mean, I know that maybe a trade down this the long the arm length, and maybe he doesn't meet the metrics and the profile that a lot of scouts are gonna want. Maybe twelve would be too high for a Jodda barn that. I think the tape's good enough.
Speaker 5: I'd take him personally, I Will Johnson, I've got some question marks.
Speaker 2: I think Will Johnson he's not going to run.
Speaker 3: He's not going to run till April fourteenth, and.
Speaker 5: In the twenty twenty three tape is better than twenty twenty four. But yeah, there's a lot of questions. You can't know until what ten days before the draft, is he is.
Speaker 3: There's there's a hamstring injury there now, and that's the problem, and he might not run at all. You might you might be looking at Will Johnson and not have a forty yard dash time on him at all because he's carrying this thing all the way to a private workout on April fourteenth, and somebody's going to go, well, wait a minute, maybe I don't have to run on April fourteenth. You know, maybe I could just kind of, you know, keep this thing going. The hamstring's not ready. Then the next thing, you know, we're drafted. I wouldn't draft that kid without a time. I'm sorry, I wouldn't do it myself. And you can and and people can and can talk about Barron and he lacks length and all this other stuff. He is so much of a better player than Morrison in my book. You know, but but but organizations are not going to like Baron because he does not fit their metrics when it comes to the link that he his body type is.
Speaker 2: Which I hate.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know that there's probably it could be this team right here that that's behind it, and there's reasons, I'm sure, and that like they there's stats and there's history that prove like that's probably the right way to go. Just me and my young naive drafting way, I'm like, I've seen them a Sante Samuel Junior get knocked, he comes out crushes it, Antoine Winfield Junior, Like, just because you're a little bit smaller, if the tape's good enough, sign me up for johd Ay Barron. He feels a lot of what you just lost in Jordan Lewis. And if LuSE wants guys, they're gonna come up and tackle. I think John A. Barron is the guy that's not scared about throwing his body in there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I'd argue for a Jacob Parrish at a case state as well, if you want to go ahead, maybe third round, yeah, seventy six, if you want to go for that rat, I'm cool with that.
Speaker 2: But I'd also just going back to ends.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'd stayed on the table for Mike Green over Mikel Williams and a heartbeat like Mike Green's my dude, I'd be advocating for him at twelve if he's there. And it sounds like some of the off the field concerns got kind of cleaned up a little bit out there in Indianapolis, which which put me at ease a little. But I think the future could be a lot brighter for a Mike Green. I think you're gonna get a steady, well rounded, probably ten year starter for Mikel Williams, but I'd like the boom prospect there in Green, who I really really am high on and excited about his potential.
Speaker 3: Nick have a question for you, yep. If you have say, fourteen first round grades, how many grade how many fifteen, fifteen, who's where do you have Williams? Do you have him in the first round.
Speaker 6: Talking about mikel Yeah, back in first round?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, soe see player fourteen for you.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, and Banks fifteen and Banks is fair.
Speaker 4: I've got him at throw CU so it's right around the same.
Speaker 3: So do you have McMillan, Burden or Abuca ahead of him? McMillan, okay, so you have those, you have the two others, So you wouldn't take a wide receiver unless it's McMillan, correct, okay, And you would take Campbell over him, right, correct? All right, and you would not take any of these corners.
Speaker 6: I feel like it's the game of go fish.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I mean, I'm just I'm just trying to get I'm trying to see how committed you are to Michael would yes, yes, yes, okay, so but you would then on the corner. So the only player that you would really not take him over is McMillan.
Speaker 6: Uh not gent if he's there, Yeah, absolutely, I would not take him over him. Campbell. I'm trying to think of possibility. Are you talking about possibility possibilities?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Uh then then yeah, that would probably be that'd probably be where I'm looking, okay.
Speaker 5: I was just wondering to see how committed you were to Michael Williams or his teammate Jayalen Walker Jaalen Walker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. H but I think i'd go be gone, like he's going to be gone by the top ten.
Speaker 3: Where are they going to play him? I've where's where's team's going to play him? Edge? I mean linebacker.
Speaker 4: That's that's the thing. That's the whole debate that we've had with Vatch for the last yeah two months.
Speaker 5: No, No, there's definitely gonna be teams that see him as an off ball Yeah. I just think he's at his best when he's getting there. I think it's probably twenty teams right now.
Speaker 4: This is just an e just a sample and just a hypothetical. I think twenty teams probably see him as an off ball linebacker and twelve see him as an edge rusher. And that's just part of it. Just two thirds of the league.
Speaker 3: I talked to six that thinks he's a linebacker, okay, and one in short, they were worried about We're worried about him getting as an edge getting beat up at that size. Yeah, you said, didn't wear down Yeah, that he might wear down and you would lose the effectiveness of him, right there?
Speaker 4: Anybody that you would trade up to go get because we're talking about realistic options here. I just we've always talked about trading down and that possibility, and I still think that is very much so on the table, depending on.
Speaker 3: What the board looks like.
Speaker 4: But let's say you do go up and get someone, who would that name be for you? If if it's even possibility, I think there's three.
Speaker 5: There's I mean Travis Hunter i'd move up for Okay, McMillan, I'd move up for sure, and I think I consider Mason Dram if he started falling. Okay, that's tackle Michigan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would agree with those.
Speaker 8: I think my question would be, if you do trade up, how much are you giving up to trade up?
Speaker 2: Like, does it make it?
Speaker 8: Well, it's going to be premium, right, But I don't know if I think Travis Hunter would be the only one where I'd be willing to give up premium draft capital to go and get.
Speaker 4: Are you playing them at both wide receiver and corner? I would yeah, Okay, would.
Speaker 3: You depending on let me I say this real quick, Depending on how much you really love Genty, you know, then that might be one as well. How much? Because if you're really, really really worried about if you if you covet him and you and you say that like the and you're really worried about the Bears, the problem you're going to run into is everybody has been mocking genty to the cow Boys, yeah since day one, and you worry about that sitting in that room. Can we sit there and wait till twelve? And it's a deep running back draft, I get it. But if you really really really want the player, because to me, of okay, everybody tell me that of your of your top fifteen guys, the top fifteen guys, who do you feel like is the cleanest on off the field injury wise and ability gent genty?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, that's probably there.
Speaker 3: You go, that's the guy you trade up for right there because you have questions about Carter.
Speaker 4: He's got the best best home run up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying you when you look at if you're going up in the first round, say into the top ten, you're going for a guy that a is has the best ability, is the cleanest medically, and has the best off the field, character, stuff that you can deal with right there. That's that's the guy. Everybody else, everybody else seems to be deficient in something or something might keep them. I mean they're all in the top, you know, your top fifteen. But I mean I'm looking at you know, and you could say the same thing. Could you say it about Hunter? Hunter would be my second option there? Yeah, I mean I think this Hunter your first option, your second option for the cleanest, the ability and the character.
Speaker 2: I'd say genty to me, I.
Speaker 6: Guess concerns for twenty three right yeah? And obviously having that much mileage and he's going to try to play both sides at the next level, sir?
Speaker 2: Is he is that possible? Who?
Speaker 5: And where do you want to play? And where do you prefer? You want to spend time at receiver, at corner?
Speaker 6: Does he get beat up? You would have injury or at least mileage concerns with a guy like that.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at what it would even take to for somebody to jump in front. And I'm going back to twenty two Saints.
Speaker 3: You remember, look at the Saints at nine bailing out of there. That's what you have to worry if Chicago's a team. If Chicago's a team that you're legitimately worried about taking genty And I'm just saying this, I'm just you know, I don't think Dallas wild trade up for him. But if you're really gonna worry about a team, yeah, you gotta worry about the Bears. Yeah, so you have to get to nine. Well, I've got to get to nine.
Speaker 4: They want to get to eleven to get in front of you. If they want a gent too.
Speaker 5: Vegas at six could be also a spot that I could see them taking an Ashton gent Y.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've got a.
Speaker 5: Quarterback now, Pete Carroll comes from Seattle where he wants to run the football. They're trying to rebuild things over there. What better way than you get the best back in the class, maybe the best black back that we've seen since what Barkley Beijon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so really.
Speaker 4: That's the number that if he makes it past six, you're looking at Jets at seven, Carolina at eight, New Orleans at nine.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be where you're starting if you're going to trade up. That's the only thing I think you I think that I think the Bears make a lot of sense here. I think the Bears, and I think I think teams around the league. Now, I think Dallas and the Bears are the two teams if you were interested in Ashton Genty, those you have to get ahead of those two teams, is what I would say.
Speaker 8: I think the Raiders might be more of a threat than Ghago, just because I don't. I wonder if Pete Carroll looks at this like it says Marshawn Lynch. Yeah, And if that's the case, like that, well look at how good Marshawn Lynch Lynch was in Seattle, and so there you go.
Speaker 2: But yeah, when you do, when you do, and the ball.
Speaker 3: That one why you got to bring up old stuff.
Speaker 2: And then there're one on the like goal line super Bowl. Anyways.
Speaker 8: If I was the Raiders, though, I feel like they still need a bona fide wide receiver one. Jakobe Myers was good for them last year, don't get me wrong, but I still feel like they need that alpha dog at receiver.
Speaker 2: So I would go McMillan from Arizona Ran.
Speaker 5: As much as I love Ashton Genty, I can't justify trading him to you get him in this draft class.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think. I was just saying if you if if that's where and I'm I'm not saying they will, but that we talk about players. The question he asked was, would you who would you trade up for? Sure? You know and I you know you would consider if you saw what if what if you saw Carter sliding? Would you consider that because of the foot? I mean, is that does that not make him a clean prospect? And that maybe the potential is that foot? Is that kind of that it's starting out to be kind of some stress fracture stuff going on there.
Speaker 6: I just think you have too many needs to gamble away any capital right now, like you're trying to gain capital in this draft. That's that's where it's tough for me. But it'd be a discussion if he falls past seven, that's a discussion you have. It's like, hey, this is a quality guy. He has experienced with Micah Parsons. We know he would have a mentor that he would listen to in this locker room. However we feel about that mentor. But is this worth you know, gambling a second round pick.
Speaker 3: On so you would trade up for you would consider trade it?
Speaker 6: No, I'm just saying I'm sure for Carter. No, I'm just saying it would be a conversation. I don't think I would trade up for anybody.
Speaker 4: I don't think any of us are looking at this in this draft specifically and saying let's trade up. But if there were names that were available, I think it's that short list of guys gent Millon, Carter, possibly, like you said, Travis Hunter, just guys like that across the board. But even then that's a stretch, and that's if you really don't like what you're gonna get at twelve. And I think by this point we've kind of already established that someone's gonna be there that's worth taking at twelve without giving up draft capital in order to get up and go get it. I mean, we were talking going back to twenty twenty one when the Bears traded from twenty up to eleven to get to justin Fields. They gave up a fourth round that year, they flipped picks in the first round, and Chicago gave up their first round and a third.
Speaker 3: Round the year after that to jump up.
Speaker 4: So like, it's gonna be premium, and that's going from twenty to eleven. Imagine what it would be going from twelve to seven or six or eight or nine, you know, just to kind of get into that territory in order to trade up for all right, we got to take our first break. When we come back, Let's do a little bit of Twitter on the twenty. We've got some questions to answer. You can continue sending those in on twin or on the YouTube chat. We're gonna utilize the YouTube chat a little bit today. If you've got questions, send them to us right now with more of the Draft show right after this.
Speaker 9: Life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through. Whether you're maxing out overhead presses, push them through chest flies, or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge. Smoothie King has the fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of added sugar, and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator Smoothie available in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla only at Smoothiekit.
Speaker 10: All Right. Drew Pearston, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw ahell Mary go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At Laser Care I Center, we offer for six different vision correction procedures to help patients.
Speaker 10: See check them ot at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you hood.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapped the preshout who looks white?
Speaker 3: It's not there. He escaped slapt He'll look for a first down. Just like football.
Speaker 11: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 12: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle and the scores.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 11: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 13: Cowboys fans. When it comes to navigating the ever changing world of tax, your business needs a partner it can trust to tackle even your biggest tax challenges. Ryan is the largest firm in the world dedicated exclusively to business taxes. Our team of tax professionals has local expertise in all areas of tax and can help you uncover savings opportunities you didn't know you. Learn more about how Ryan can improve your overall corporate tax performance by visiting Ryan dot com. Ryan the official tax partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yes he is the Dallascowboys dot com Draft Show.
Speaker 10: Boys.
Speaker 4: Back here on the Draft Show presented by Millerlte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. It's time for a little bit of some Twitter on the Thank you teamer Trey on the YouTube comments. Remember we're gonna utilize the YouTube chat a little bit today, so send us your questions on there and on Twitter.
Speaker 3: On the twenty I just tweeted it out a moment ago. Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Kind of sounds weird, uh, all right?
Speaker 4: Trey asked, how do you guys feel about the Day three or Day two?
Speaker 3: Day three safeties?
Speaker 4: He wanted to know about Jonas Sankers anybody watched Anker from Virginia? Absolutely, I have what do you think about him? Hometown product? He says he's from Charlottesville, so he wants to.
Speaker 3: Know about him.
Speaker 4: But any other the other of those other safeties later in the draft that you'd be interested in.
Speaker 3: But Sankard did he want to know about y? Yeah? Hold on one second here, only get out of my notes here with with with Sanker, Waima looking at corners. His kid's a safety, Brian Uh Sanker, Yeah, he Uh, he's a he's a two time All acc performer, and he's got some interesting traits. I feel like you could play him up or you could play him back, and you're gonna have a pretty nice player with this guy. He's got size, he's got a nose for the ball. He's an effort player. He'll come out of nowhere to make plays. He tends to the ball, tends to bounce his direction. I think he can come down hill really quickly.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: He triggers quickly. I really like that about his game. He'll see him wrap up in space. You can be physical doing it. He did have his share of some misses though, too. Uh. But he's the type of guy that could stop the ball carrier in his tracks, power, strength, instincts as a man, cover guy. Uh, breaking on the football, disruptive. Uh that I you know, I just kind of have a You see a guy that kind of he didn't ever come off the field. You mean he's a gunner, he's a flyer, he's a kickoff cover man, he's a field goal rusher, he's got a he's a he's got a knack for coming off the edge and blocking kicks. I mean, he's gonna give you a lot of plays if you take him to the game. Six foot, two hundred and six pounds out of Virginia. So I like the toughness of the kid. Uh. And then, like I say, if, as Bill Parcells would say, when I take you to the game, how many players are gonna give me? This kid's gonna give you a lot of plays. The way he with, the way he goes about his job. Where do you have him? I'm the fourth round? Nice?
Speaker 4: Okay, what do you think about some of those other Day three guys? That's safety zactly?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: How about okay, this is a guy that measurable wise. I don't think that the people. I mean I think he got snubbed from the combine. But Dan Jackson from Georgia, Like, if you watch Georgia tape, Dan Jackson's the guy that all of a sudden, he's kind of he's flashing at you a little bit.
Speaker 3: He gets snubb from the combine. He's at the Senior Bowl but did not go to the combine.
Speaker 2: Slow a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but they laugh like that it was it was an inside joke.
Speaker 2: But uh it's uh, well I know where Yeah, I'm not. I get it. I get it.
Speaker 3: I'm not the.
Speaker 6: Biggest day of Jackson, I understand.
Speaker 2: I think he could be a good special team guy for sure.
Speaker 6: Absolutely this team. If you're asking about this team seventh round and Shiloh Sanders is still on the board, you think that they pull the trigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that.
Speaker 6: I think it happens a one one day two slash day three. I kind of have him on that fringe. Guy that I heard a lot about in Indianapolis, and I really like seeing up close in person. Jalen Reid out of Penn State. Yeah, this is a guy who's gaining a lot of love from training circles in the pre NFL draft process. He's training out in Exos in Arizona, doing a really strong job out there against some really talented guys. But plays downhill, He's he's feisty, he's only uh, he's only He's got average size from that safety spot. But I think you can play him in multiple spots. You see him lining up at safety, you see him lining up at nickel, even outside corner at times. But I think he can really take on that deep safety role if a team were to ask him to. But he's a thumper man. You get him hill and he'll lay a hat on you think.
Speaker 3: But he looked at Latham Ransom from Ohio State.
Speaker 6: If Ransom is a guy I have a lot of experience with going back from to recruiting days, and I feel like every year he's played, he's regressed. That's the only thing that I worry about. But I still think he's a really fine player. I just wonder if if maybe there's some there's an extra layer of development that he needs to take at the NFL level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think to me, he's stale with a lot of injuries in his career, but maybe it's a true free safety. He might be a guy you wanted to take a look at there in that fourth round.
Speaker 2: And then day three.
Speaker 5: I think Brian We've talked about him before with Billy Bowman Junior, Dan Ryan Raider, and I might be shouting him out because I've got a soft spot for him, got to cover him in high school. But I mean that's a dude that's got He's a former corner converted over to safety. I think Billy Bowman Junior, if you just want to take a flyer on a dude who could be a splash type of player for you, not not shy away from going down hill and in some people.
Speaker 6: He's stout, like yeah, very he he's he's a he's got a load.
Speaker 2: Also senior bowl guy, Yeah he is. He's got a load. Yeah, he'll drop that ass on You.
Speaker 3: Think the thing about him is his his his lack of height, very short. I think that's I think that's something that's going to kind of make people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's going to push him down the by. I think that's why he's definitely three dude.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll give you one more thumper. Jalen Catalan from U N l V. I know the injury history with him is is something that jal.
Speaker 3: Is this the was this the guy from Arkansas, Texas Arkansas Texas un L He didn't he didn't play very well at Texas.
Speaker 2: I think injury.
Speaker 8: Injury was a very very big part of that, and kind of had Arkansas too. He was an All SEC player, I think his his freshman year and then he just kind of went went downhill a little bit with the injuries. But un l V last year ninety six tackles five picks.
Speaker 2: When he's healthy.
Speaker 3: He's actually going back to school. He's going to always going back.
Speaker 2: He's at Missouri.
Speaker 6: Now, how is he going back to? What way he is he is.
Speaker 3: At Missouri now?
Speaker 2: The COVID year, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He had any remember being very sorry that is I'm sitting in this very studio before it was redone talking about I'm already jailing catalog during his time in Mansfield Legacy and Chris Bean was punching it in the.
Speaker 3: Back when we were doing high school sports.
Speaker 5: He was one of the best high school players I think we've seen. I mean, this guy was projected to be a first rounder a couple of years.
Speaker 4: Again, well now he's going to be a first rounder after a great after.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're year early I like, you're just getting the ahead of the game.
Speaker 6: I'll throw in a DFW guy who is who is in this class? R J Mickens out of Clemson, sixty career games, over two thousand career snaps. If you're talking about experience, you want a guy who can step in and kind of give you that high floor from an experience perspective.
Speaker 3: R J.
Speaker 6: Mickens is that guy. I don't think he'll bring a starter caliber a play to you, but if you're looking for a safety in the sixth or seventh round, I think that's potentially your guy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: And then Andrew mccooba out of Texas is slowly starting to rise in draft circles. I mean, this is a guy who's probably gonna end up slowly.
Speaker 2: Why why, yeah, what is taking everybody so long?
Speaker 6: On my I'm wondering the same thing. Because he's got the length, he's got the ball skills. He can certainly play. I think either free or strong. I think you can put them in either spot at the next level. Really talented player that I think is going to end up going early Day three.
Speaker 3: I'm finishing up my drafted bio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm finishing up to draft bios for the magazine today and I'm on safety and I'm trying to finish those up. I was watching mccuba right before walking down here to do talking, and I was really impressed. I'm thinking, I'm I haven't finished him yet. I'm probably thinking like a second round.
Speaker 3: I was. I forgot think too, like Watts starksmcuba. I think those are kind of the guys.
Speaker 2: Ye at forty four, how do you have those? I would be fighting for Watson Macuba.
Speaker 3: I would go.
Speaker 6: I think he would be there at seventy six.
Speaker 5: Mcuba, I think he would, dude, I'd throw a freaking party. That'd be like Cooper BB two point zero. And I ask you, I mean, and I trust what you're saying. Why would you think seventy six?
Speaker 6: It's just from what I've heard from people is that they they're like, man, this could be an early day three guy. I'm like early day three. I'm thinking like two, like what kind of value. I just wonder what teams are putting value on him at?
Speaker 3: Is it size?
Speaker 4: I mean, but there are other guys that are under six foot that are having some success. I mean, we talked about Billy Bowman Junr that set's five foot nine, right, I mean they there are other guys in this draft that are knocked for the height, and Macuba might be knocked for the hype.
Speaker 3: But man, his tape is speaking. I just you know, the tape is. I think it's excellent. You can watch him play against a and ingwatch Mully's playoff games and stuff like that, and play. You know, if you look at the metrics, his quarterback rating against him was the fourth best in the country. You know. I mean he's got some quality forced in incompletion of twenty six percent of the passes he's faced this season. This guy's got some ballhawk in to him, you know. And and I and he didn't give up a touchdown and coverage. I think, to me, when you watch him play, I'm surprised that that the reason. Like I say, I saw a twitchy guy. I saw a guy it plays with burst, so I guy it plays with his eyes. Saw a guy that triggers in support. That's why I had him in the second round. I mean, like I said, you can watch him. You can watch them these All Star games and get and get a pretty nice view of them. Even go about you watched the Michigan game. There is another one that's very very early in the season. So I think this guy's got some special qualities to him. I think I think this is my last line in the in the thing I think I said, I think media scouts are behind this guy in my opinion, is what I said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you, very behind, very behind. He's got great eyes.
Speaker 8: I think he looks the quarterback really well and is able to get into the right spots in past coverage and that's why he was able to.
Speaker 2: Pick the ball away.
Speaker 8: He had a great first year at Clemson and then you kind of just felt like it was like, where where'd he go?
Speaker 2: Where did he go?
Speaker 8: And then he comes back to Texas and it must have just worked out better for him because he was excellent.
Speaker 3: He did a nice job.
Speaker 6: He did really the zimbabwe native. Yes, that's so he would he would qualify for IPP at the very least cool there was anything to put him on the practice squad for, but I don't think there's nothing now. But the thing, the thing that's tough about this player when it comes to the Cowboys is safety. Seventy six. Yeah, we would love to grab him a seventy six, But then you're giving up another need somewhere else. And we just talked about safety earlier in the show. It's like, yeah, that's probably something you don't need to spend a premium pick one. It's just tough. You wish you were in a position where you could spend a seventy six on this type of player, and who knows, maybe they do. I mean, we look back to last year and they took Marshaw Niland in the second round. I think we were all looking at each other like, that's not necessarily a need. But credit to them for taking BPA. But it's giving up a whole lot another spot, and in that case it was running back or a linebacker. At the time, we didn't think woul get addressed, but they ended up swinging back with lea ful. Sure, that's what makes it tough for this guy at seventy six.
Speaker 3: So there's question number one of Twitter.
Speaker 4: On the twenty, Levi asked if a draft, if you draft a first round offensive tackle.
Speaker 3: Such as Simmons, as that's why I.
Speaker 4: Would take Talking about earlier Campbell, what is your best five? Who are you playing and where are you playing them? On this Cowboys offensive line?
Speaker 3: Kind of interesting I play Simmons at left tackle, put May Smith that left guard, play bb B BB at center. There's going to be a battle. Like I say, I think Robert Jones will compete, and I agree. I saw a tweet this morning from Simi from Nick, Yeah, and I think I got this right. Nick, you kind of felt like that basically that Affman and Bass are better players.
Speaker 6: I think, so I don't. I don't disagree.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't disagree with you on that. So whoever competes their right guard, and then you know, then you're going to see what happens with Steel. And you know, I saw I saw Steel in this draft by the way, you guys seen Lunt the kid from uh from Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you like it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did. Yukon Yeah, yu konn Yeah. Fourth round. So yeah, that's that's kind of where I but to me, that's those are my those my five guys, and like we'll see what happens. Let Geyton compete, you know with with Steele at right at right right tackle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm definitely Josh Simmons would play left tackle for me, Like I think he'd instantly be He's a better prospect than I think Guyton was a year ago for.
Speaker 4: Showing Lunt on the on the highlights. This is Terrence Steele. According to to Brian, when you look at it, it's got the big numbers, just.
Speaker 2: A big block.
Speaker 3: This guy. Okay, you want to play lead, lead block and pend and poll, you want to play all those things? This guy right here can can absolutely do. He plays really well in space. His his range is really really good.
Speaker 6: He can he when he.
Speaker 3: Connects onto to his uh, to his blockers, to the defenders, he could stay with them. This guy's a really good foot athlete. I I am usually really wrong with these about these guys because they're not strong enough. But I've gotten burned over the years with with guys. You know, with all these guys that those uh, those Colorado kids that were all undersized the U c l A tackled one year that went to the Raiders. Every year, I get these these guys wrong. This kid, those are really good player. Though.
Speaker 6: For you, a guy that I felt like was uh Terrence Steele, Like was Marcus bo out of Purdue. Yeah, probably a higher graded player than than a Chase Lunt, But man, I.
Speaker 2: Love if this and the third you like him as a tackler.
Speaker 3: I do like them. Anybody think about him playing center?
Speaker 6: See, he talked about that.
Speaker 5: I want to kick him inside. I love the athleticism inside.
Speaker 6: He talked about that at Senior Bowl. He's like, look, I'd be willing to play all five sp.
Speaker 2: Sure, but he's super smart.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I could see that he was awesome that he just sat down and started just talking to a senior.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Great, dude.
Speaker 4: A couple other questions for some Twitter on the twenty here a lot of Miles Sanders talk because I think he just got he just got released.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody's talking about Miles Sanders.
Speaker 4: That doesn't change anything for you guys, since there's like forty five comments about him, right, No, nothing at all. Sh Man, This is tougher than doing Twitter on the twenty. Uh, professor oh on Twitter, Matt Owen up, Matt Yeah he uh he said knowing that. Brian Schottenheimer, this guy described his running back preference, and here are some of the ways he described it. You want a guy who's got vision, he's got contact balance, balance, able to make hidden yards, a guy that's willing to run through arm tackles, catch the ball out of the backfield. Does that give you any site on the type of running back and the type of prospect that they could take whenever the draft comes around in April.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I think that kind of fits Ashton Gent's mold. So yeah, that fish that fits Ashton Genzy's mold.
Speaker 2: I think Devin Neil.
Speaker 8: Out of Kansas there's another running back that fits that mold just because of what he can do. Scataboo as a pass catcher. Yeah, Scataboo. I guess I'm not as high on on scatterb oh No.
Speaker 3: I mean, but if you look at guys that broke tackles right out right and they catch the catch out of the backfield, and mean that's clearly if you if you watched is it Tutting from Virginia Tech? You guys watched him? Yeah?
Speaker 5: See he he had a blazing time at the combine. But no, I haven't watched him yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Him speed, Like did that translate when you watched him?
Speaker 3: He plays really fast. I mean, and there's a kid uh in cross key merrit. Yeah, he's got an interesting you know, he was fascinating. You have to watch him. You have to watch him play. He started off at at Alabama A and M and ended up in New Mexico. So you're gonna have to watch the Mexico tape because he only played at Arizona one year. He was academic one one game, one game, So yeah, you're gonna have to watch New Mexico tape. Try and grab the Texas A and M game if you can. Is it one that.
Speaker 6: It wasn't an academic and eligible I just want to make sure that's that was cleared up. It was an NCAA eligibility rule. They didn't think that he was supposed to be eligible, and so he thought he was and he was portal landed at Arizona. Everything was cool and dandy, and then after the first game of the season, the NCAA was like, wait, you're not eligible and they pulled his eligibility. It was after strange that so it happened to do with his freshman season at Alabama A and M. Right, he was credited for I think eight games, but he claims, and the school claims. Alabama A and M claims that he only played in three games. So like he was like, I preserved my red shirt, my friend year and NCAA they can They were like, no, you played eight games. But even though everybody under the sun is like this guy only played three games. Really strange that you run into that problem in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a book kicking thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it sounds like a nineteen seventies issues, Like.
Speaker 4: Somebody, somebody in the press box was just like right in that starters.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, really tough for that. I feel for him, But he's Shrine Bowl MVP, really talented player. Yeah, he's just probably gonna be a UDF.
Speaker 2: Well he I mean all the Shrine Bowl practices, he was a standout.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cross and he can catch the ball. Yeah, I mean he's he's.
Speaker 6: Right fresh legsy, fresh legs. Another guy that I'd like to throw in this mix is Damien Martinez. I'm going to continue to hammer his name. I have a third round grade on him. Six foot, two hundred and thirty two pounds, absolute unit. He terrorizes inside. I he doesn't have the home run speed, but he can break those arm tackles we were talking about, and the receiving necks are there, they just need to be utilized. I don't think that they're necessarily utilized at Miami or Oregon State, to be honest, but I've seen those receiving next from his time in high school. He can get out of the backfield. He has route running ability. I think this is a guy you could trust out to.
Speaker 3: The Oregon State, right, yes, Oregon State. Okay, wait, you just said Martinez. He plays Miami. He transferens state or state or state. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But when you look at what he did at Miami too, and the Michigan the Bowl tape, I mean he's he's legitimate too. Are you talking about Damian Martinez? Yeah, yeah, Miami. Yeah, he went to school at Oregon State forehand. Oh yeah, Okay, I was like I got confused there for a second.
Speaker 2: Now Louisville or Louisville kid, right, Louisville kid.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and hereby shout out to Biember. He's throwing up a lot of the receiving tape on this on this clip right here, but he got it physic. I think he's a guy you do not want to see in the hole at two hundred and thirty two pounds. Now, he's just not Who.
Speaker 2: Do you have higher, Martinez or Jordan James.
Speaker 6: I have a Martinez. I'm a Martinez, stand I really, but I look, James, I'm Jordan James guy, I really am. But I told a lot of guys. I have a lot of these guys in the second and third round. I had him a young guy in that range too, but he did not run well. He did not test twealth combine and that really disappointed me. Uh so I slipped him a little bit.
Speaker 3: But that where do you have like Brooks in that group? Then Texas tech TODs Brooks.
Speaker 6: I have him. Uh let's see, I have him early fourth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's why I wish we had that four.
Speaker 4: Anybody have Yeah, me too. Anybody have Rocket Sanders from South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I've not seen him.
Speaker 5: Rock Standers is a good player, yeah, solid, I mean very productive. I thought he was productive at Arkansas, he was productive in South Carolina. Can win between the tackles, obviously, can break tackles. As a receiving back. I think he did a little bit more of that at Arkansas than I saw at South Carolina. Pass protection I think could improve a little bit, but he's a willing pass protector.
Speaker 2: I like Rocket Sanders. I don't love him as much as like RJ. Harvey. I would take over him personally out of UCF. I like RJ.
Speaker 5: Harvey more than any of these guys we've actually been talking about.
Speaker 11: R J.
Speaker 2: Harvey would be my dude that fits that description.
Speaker 4: I have him over everybody except for James.
Speaker 5: But I think Rockett Sanders has been a little like in a running back him and Donovan Edwards at a Michigan like in a running back draft that it's just like, gosh, we've got so many players to talk about. He gets slept on, and so does Donovan Edwards, who two years ago, especially coming off the National Championship Game and the win over Washington. Like Donovan Edwards, we talked about a lot of these guys, they don't have the home run speed Edwards does. Edwards is a dude who's just gonna fly and you're not gonna be able to catch him.
Speaker 3: Was he was a straight line runner though?
Speaker 2: Yeah he is? Yeah right.
Speaker 5: So it's like the again, like they all have qualities where like if I could combine them, it'd be perfect.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 5: So there's knocks on Edwards two, But those are two guys that are being I think not discussed as heavily as others.
Speaker 6: I hate to rain on your party. Here's that you know who Donovan Edwards reminds me of both Scarborough or it was just like early in his careers, like this guy's gonna be the this guy's shoes, he's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: Not that big, He's not that big. Faster than his career trajectory.
Speaker 6: Okay, an injury stack up. He ends up in the seventh round.
Speaker 3: He was on the cover of the video game.
Speaker 2: But you're looking at day.
Speaker 6: Three for sure, I wouldn't touch him. I mean, and you talk about the you talk about the injuries that have stacked up with him. Looking at my injury history, I put on here, torn pateeller in twenty two, knee surgery in twenty three, achilles injury in twenty three, broken right thumb, he had a mystery chest and leg injury. This past season. He's mentioned he's mentioned how injuries have made him mentally hurt. I mean, I'm staying away from.
Speaker 2: The well, that's that's if you're mentally hurt. I don't know if we can fix that.
Speaker 3: Sound like a mentally bad grade, then hey, I didn't Day three. No, I'm just saying I'm not pointing at you. I'm just saying you sounds he brought him up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean when you look at this draft class, and we've talked about it a number of times, the running back class. We're going to look back on this and say, wow, Yeah, there were twenty names, twenty five names that were drafted. A lot half of them are gonna end up just being dudes, like they're gonna.
Speaker 3: End up being great players.
Speaker 4: We're gonna look back and say, wow, twenty twenty five was an incredible draft class. But then they're gonna be fifteen names that are duds in the NFL. And that's what's terrifying about this is you don't want to necessarily grab one of the duds. You want to take a chance on a guy that you really think can be successful. It's the best running back class that I've scouted since taking over in twenty twenty. Brian, I don't know if you share that same show.
Speaker 3: It's pretty impressive across the board. All right, let's take our second break win.
Speaker 4: When we'd come back, of course, we're still talking about these free agents and how it kind of affects things moving forwards. We mentioned a lot on the defensive side, anything on the offensive side of the ball that you can keep an eye on moving into the rest of free agency and how that could change things for the NFL Draft. More of the Draft show coming up right after this.
Speaker 7: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and Doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Laser Care Eye Center, I can see near, far, and between.
Speaker 2: Don't fumble your.
Speaker 3: Vision any longer.
Speaker 7: Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center, they got me back on my game.
Speaker 14: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and ods with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 9: Life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through. Whether you're maxing out overhead presses, pushing through chest flies, or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge. Smoothie King has the fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of added sugar, and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator Smoothie available in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla only at Smoothie Kit.
Speaker 12: How about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets? As we cheer for the stars on the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets that, along with all our other favorite Tyson Foods products, sure make game day special. Score some delicious Tyson Cowboys Nuggets and become a game day star just like our Cowboys as you enjoy your stars on and off the plate. Remember, tailgates and game day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, Cowboys Nation, Dallas Cowboys United presented by Globe Life, is now exclusively in the Dallas Cowboys app.
Speaker 4: Joined the Official Fan Club today to receive access to the all new Cowboys drops feature team news and pre sale access plus fans and kid of the game. Download now and get Cowboys United.
Speaker 3: Het Cowboys ete Cowboys at Cowboys United.
Speaker 4: All right back here the Draft show, Zach Walchuk Brian brought us Tommy Yarish, Nick Harris with Chris Beam in the back putting up all the great tape. We've gotten a lot of questions over the last couple of shows and we haven't hit tight end, and we were talking about offensive guys. Early, is tight end to need for.
Speaker 3: This Cowboys team moving forward?
Speaker 4: And what names would you be interested in at the top of the list when it comes to the tight end position.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's in need early. I think you've got other other.
Speaker 4: Issues and it's tough to look at it in those first three rounds, right.
Speaker 8: If you look, I think you look later and look for some value guys, and I think there are some.
Speaker 2: I think there are.
Speaker 8: I think you know, you look at some of the guys that competed at the Senior Bowl and at the Shrine Bowl. You know one guy that stood out from Syracuse, Ronda gads in the second. I thought he was pretty good. Jalen Conyers from Texas Tech is y blocker, ate blocking. I feel like he performed really well. So I think there's some guys that, you know, you look at the those day three guys that you can definitely get. I know, I know Brian's a big fan of Mason Taylor. Taylor out of l s U. He's been super productive all three years there. He didn't test well, but I think Gunner Helm from Texas will still pan out with you, Okay, Luke Lackey from Iowa.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of guys I.
Speaker 8: Feel like that you can you can look at take it, take a pe of me and to take all the names from you guys.
Speaker 3: Now, you did a great job taking all the names.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 6: I think that job.
Speaker 3: Kerics Ferguson keep an eye on him from Oregon, Oregon. I agree.
Speaker 6: I agree, that's certainly one to throw out. I think when you when you talk about this team, look at this roster specifically, Jake Ferguson's a starter, and he's he's your comfortable starter.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, Okay, yea and.
Speaker 6: Luke schoon Maker. How how are we feeling about him?
Speaker 2: Scooney?
Speaker 3: How are you feeling about better? I think he I think he got better as the year went on.
Speaker 6: He got faced with a almost cussed a lot of adversity. That was really close, man, That's the close I've ever been in the studio. He got faced a lot of adversity last last season, and he answered Ferguson whenever Jake Ferguson went down with that concussion. Yeah, he answered with it well.
Speaker 4: And he had a better connection with Cooper Rush than he did with Dak Prescott too.
Speaker 6: And but Dak Prescott's going to be his quarterback, so exactly, how how do you feel about Schoomaker moving forward? And then the death of that room behind him and Ford? Do you you have spanned Ford who certainly has shown some knacks and at the point of attack John Steve and then John Stevens Junior. Can you rely on him to stay healthy and will he be the same player when he comes back?
Speaker 2: A huge question.
Speaker 6: I think I think it's worth a Day three pick if you're sitting there and you have needs addressed and you have a player that you really like there If a Jalen Conyers is there in the fifth, man, go swing at that. I don't think Conyor is going to be there in the fifth. But uh that a type of player like that, you wouldn't get a complaint for me.
Speaker 3: He lost me. You just lost me. You lost me because you won't let me fight for a safety. But you're going to fight for a tight end. I didn't.
Speaker 6: I wasn't say I was going to fight for a tight end.
Speaker 3: No, But you said you wouldn't get a complaint from me the fifth round.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you wouldn't get a complaint.
Speaker 3: So if I wanted to add a safety like you would, you'd be.
Speaker 2: Happy with mccooba.
Speaker 6: I'd be happy.
Speaker 2: You just don't think that they'll do that.
Speaker 6: No, No, correct, correct, Yeah, you can't take mccuba in the first three rounds, is what I'm saying. Like, because you don't, you don't have the you don't have the room to do it. You don't you have too many needs.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 6: And if we're talking about it from a tight end, respective, they don't have as much depth as a safety position has. A safety position, you feel like tired room?
Speaker 3: Do you feel like picking a tight end that would be like maybe you could pick another position.
Speaker 6: You could. It just depends on what's available to you. Like, Okay, then let's say what if they picked in the first three rounds. What have they picked in the first three rounds.
Speaker 4: Let's say, uh, corner, running back, running back, wide receiver.
Speaker 6: Cornerback, wide receiver. Okay, yeah, then you've take You've taken a lot offensive talent. You probably can't take the tight end in that in that situation, okay, defensive tackle, linebacker, corner, like okay, I mean you still need your running back. Yeah, but I mean this is a really talented player. If you feel like you have a really talented player sitting in that in the fifth round, why not.
Speaker 3: I don't I feel like I'm gonna have to take one of these tight ends earlier in the fifth round if I really want one of if I want a good.
Speaker 2: One, any one of those four.
Speaker 3: The tech kid, I mean, I haven't seen the tech kid. Is he a fourth round player? I think sound like he's a third round guy.
Speaker 6: I gotta think he's going to go early. You think early day three.
Speaker 5: See I The guy that i'd argue for is Aronde Gadson out of Syracuse and his son or his dad was a wide receiver as with the Miners dollars. Well, he's the son of a former NFL player who played for the Miami Dolphins. Ronde Gads And right, yeah, well, big fan of this dude. He's another Shrine Bowl guy and he dominated when we got to watch him with the Shrine Bowls. So you talk about a dude in terms of receiving ability, silky smooth route runner, tremendous bods, that's a guy Day three like. I think you're getting possibly a future starter in Aronde Gads And I think he's better than every guy that we've named here in this segment so far.
Speaker 6: They can't do anything like balking perspective in my opinion.
Speaker 5: Not a blocker, uh no, not Gunner Helm, but the Day three like Gunner Helms.
Speaker 2: I don't think it is a Day three player. Gunner Hilm's a third rounder.
Speaker 4: I was about to say, because we've named Taylor and but I'm talking about Conyers Luke l the Iowa kid better. Okay, when you talked about Terrence Ferguson, that is he in that same catgy.
Speaker 2: I think he's better than Ferguson too. Personally. I think if you watch dads, I think you like it more than Ferguson.
Speaker 6: Kay, I like Ferguson a little bit more, but I undertand w we're going.
Speaker 3: I love you guys. Had the Fanning kid from Bowling Green. See.
Speaker 6: I loved him early on, and I loved him during the season. I was like, my gosh, like every time Bowling TV I was watching him.
Speaker 4: Well, he was the most productive tight end in college football history.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean he put up more yardage, more touchdowns, more receptions, and more games than any other dight end.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 6: I'm talking about fighting through guys all my seat on the tape right there. He can certainly do so. But as the process has gone on, he started to slip a little bit for me. Senior Bowl, he didn't do anything fantastic for me. He was getting locked down by some undersized dbs, and so I wonder if maybe level of competition, he's gonna have a little bit of an adjustment period to the NFL. But I think this is still a guy you would take a chance on if he's sitting there in the third round. I'm not saying for the Cowboys. I'm just saying in general, I think, yeah, ye are. He would be a guy you would take a chance on them.
Speaker 3: Okay, if if if you had Fannin in Helm in the third round, which one would you take?
Speaker 6: I have Fannin over Helm right now, I have Helm over Fannin.
Speaker 2: I'll be Helm over fan I had fan In too.
Speaker 3: But I was I was thinking, and and it's not about the Texas, about the kid when he worked out and all that, because I think, if I really think I could go to Austin, I could time him better. I know I can do a lot of things better with him if I want to. But I was just curious about Fanning. Is he really that guy? You know? I don't think so well.
Speaker 2: And I just watching him run like hurts me.
Speaker 5: It looks like he's painful, lumbering, like he has no bend at all. That it's not all in the hips with Fannin. But yet somehow the dude's open. He's a huge, big, reliable target. He could be really good in the red zone. He could give you like Antonio Gates, like red zone numbers possibly.
Speaker 3: See but he's not that big though.
Speaker 2: I mean, overall, six four thirty dudes pretty big.
Speaker 4: He measured out at six three two thirty eight at the mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean that's still a solid size.
Speaker 4: Piece in size, but you're not talking about Film who's six five two fifty two, Joe Baylor, who's six five two fifty Like, I mean, there's other bigger tight ends that are available. Fannin is a little bit undersized.
Speaker 5: When you watched him play Helm and Fannin who had the bigger catch radius Fannin, Right, So when I'm talking about a guy who plays big, it's fair.
Speaker 2: It's Fannin.
Speaker 4: And I want to back up just the fan and slandered for a hot second, because I don't think when we're talking about COMBA or a Senior Bowl. Yeah, when we didn't see what we wanted to k out of it from the Senior Bowl. He had competitions through All in State and Texas A and m yeh, he had competition. It's both of those teams, and he put up at least one hundred and thirty five yards in a touchdown in both of those games. Like he still had plenty of it. Now they force fed him ahead.
Speaker 2: Hell they did.
Speaker 3: I mean they's.
Speaker 4: Target after target and it was but that was kind of the game plan that they had.
Speaker 3: At bowling Green.
Speaker 6: Got him too a bowl game.
Speaker 4: It did get him to a bowling bowling the bowl game. Yeah, so I think when you look at Fan and both of those guys are really close on my board, they're actually touching tags. I've got a third on Helm and I've got a fourth on fan in but both of.
Speaker 3: Where do you have a Royo? Then?
Speaker 6: From Miami?
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 3: I am a idem too, dude, I have tied him to I love. This is the deal because this dude loves the city of Miami. He's got he wears Miami heat. You know a tight end. This guy to this guy to our right lifts Texas. If you haven't known, it's.
Speaker 2: Better than Elijah Royo.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, well here here five years.
Speaker 2: Sure it'll be getting here.
Speaker 14: You go.
Speaker 2: I'll take a Royal better Helm.
Speaker 3: Thanks, No, you won't. That's Elijah would. I wouldn't. I would. I wouldn't. I would.
Speaker 5: You're crapping on Donovan Edwards for health and you're gonna say, Roys tight end too.
Speaker 2: If you stay healthy, give you it's not as bad as come on. He's not in the same.
Speaker 3: I don't have. All that you do is he was fighting for the Miami runner Damian Martine, which is funny because I was crapping on all the Miami guys last year except for Cam Kitchens.
Speaker 2: I was really hard on camp Ward.
Speaker 3: Watch him at quarterback. I'm telling you, is he qv one?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, Stunner is Stunner heyn back one?
Speaker 6: Wide receiver.
Speaker 13: Brown.
Speaker 5: If you look back, you loved Matt Lee last year to the center he did.
Speaker 4: If you look back at which offense was the top in terms of efficiency this past year.
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: I just worried, like one year of production for a royal it scares me a little bit. But he's a first go independence kid, so I'm rooting for him.
Speaker 6: I forget about that. That is yeah, he would be a thirty day visit or a Dallas excuse me for for this for this team.
Speaker 3: I have him as tight end too as well. I think he's fantastic. I'm going with it.
Speaker 2: That tight end board on that side of the table.
Speaker 3: Get rid of more. Who's the best player? Got left?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 3: I would take this okay, like the fourth round. Like he names all four people and they're all from Miami.
Speaker 2: It's okay. I'm totally wrong about everything I say to you, so don't worry.
Speaker 3: I love it. A good show, gentlemen, well done.
Speaker 4: We'll be back on Thursday, continuing under forty four days.
Speaker 3: From this NFL Draft.
Speaker 4: As we continue forward, we're gonna debate some more about some tight ends in the future as well. Can't wait all right for Zach Walchuck Brian brought us Tommy Yarris, Nick Carris, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman saying so long from the draft show.
Speaker 3: We'll see you on Thursday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.